Speaker 1: As media, Hello and Welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff. It's another rerun episode because you know, each episode sort of two parts, so this is the second part of the rerun episode. And this one, much like the one that you already heard on Monday, is about food out bombs. I hope you like it. Hello and Welcome to Cool People Did Cool Stuff or CPWDCCS for short, and by short, I mean long because it takes at least as long as say the acronym as does say the title of the show. And one of my least favorite things is people who try to correct me and say that acronyms are only acronyms when they are pronounceable as words. So I'm Mark kilj your host, and with me today is the one and only Andrew T.
Speaker 2: Andrew Good just gave dog two kills. Yeah right, everything's going great.
Speaker 1: On this day. That is definitely a different day from last time, because we definitely don't just record both episodes back to back most of the time. We've also got our producer, Sophie. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Sophie?
Speaker 3: Still doing well? Was doing well all those days ago when we recorded part one?
Speaker 1: Still well?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the days just fly by between recording part one and part two.
Speaker 3: Iy bye they do.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it just feels like I get up and get a glass of water, yeah, and then that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah time.
Speaker 1: We also have our editor, Ian, who's not on the call, but later we'll be listening to everything we say, just to twist our words around and make it sound like we say are saying things that we're not saying. Like I actually got the acronym correct at the beginning of this episode, and then Ian switched it around to be wrong. And our theme music was written by Unwoman and you can check out the rest of her music if you would like. So today we're talking about food nut bombs, and we're talking about mutual aid. And if you didn't listen to the first half of this episode, you are missing out on us puntivacating about Catholic theology for a moment, and also about why were or at least why I'm not excited about people dressing up as homeless people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just so like a classic of the genre. But I know, yeah, right, I know, so the street theater kind of always has that element to it. I guess, just.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, yeah, it's not a high art form, and that is both its advantage and disadvantage, both artistically and politically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, so where we.
Speaker 1: Last left our heroes. They're feeding people every week. They're collecting donations from all over the city and delivering free groceries everywhere because they think that people might need free groceries. And then they're taking what's left over and making a ton of free food and feeding people in the park. And this is just a good thing to do. No notes, the city is less convinced that it's a good thing to do, or at least they don't like the other stuff that these same activists are doing, like sticking their noses into every protest and action that they possibly can, fighting every good fight that they come across. So so Keith McHenry, one of the founders of food nut Bombs, the main person who's written all this history, who's actually really cool most of the time. He doesn't like that he's getting harassed by the city, Like he's getting harassed a lot by the city. Apparently he's being kind of threatened by the city. Don't totally know what that, don't know exactly, So he fucks off, He fucks off to San Francisco and Food Up Bombs Boston keeps going without him, and in nineteen eighty seven he starts Food Up Bombs San Francisco, and not long after, some people in Long Beach, which I don't know if you all knew this, but Long Beach is not actually the name of a beach in LA. It turns out apparently it's its own city.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, Andrew, did you know that Los Angeles resident.
Speaker 2: I think, I mean, I assume it is also a beach though, right, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is Los Angeles an actual city or is it just a Hollywood fabrication?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, yeah, definitely both. A is a ridiculous city as far as that goes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, completely agree.
Speaker 1: Okay, does cool Zone media have an official stance on whether or not it's choe for me to spread conspiracy theories like LA is a real place and not just a Hollywood fabrication, because that's the conspiracy. Go for it. Los Angeles is a real place. Stage wink at the audience that they can't see I'm describing it.
Speaker 2: Y'all can't see shit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So, some people in Long Beach, legally distinct from Los Angeles, started food not Bombs, and they were nervous about stealing the name food nut Bombs, so they started calling it bread not Bombs. But then they got in touch with food nut Bombs and food nut Bombs like, oh my god, we don't care that rules use food not bombs, so they become food nut Bombs, and food nut Bombs writes up a little how to Get Started zine and they start passing it around. By nineteen ninety two, there's thirty chapters. I had a conference and decided on the three basic principles that I mentioned at the beginning of Monday's episode, free veggie based food, autonomous groups, nonviolence. And then they put out the first edition of a book called food Nut Bombs that explains the whole thing very direct titlers. I appreciate a good direct title. So the group explodes in popularity after this. Two years later, nineteen ninety four, six hundred people attended international gathering in San Francisco, and they're representing the US, Canada, Mexico, and various countries in Europe. And Okay, my theory is that the only downside of the popularity food Net Bombs is that we had to go through as activists the whole generation of slogans with names that are like bikes not bombs, homes not jails, food not lawn, solidarity not charity, the something not something. I really appreciate that, y'all's is something and something like. I feel like that's a really positive development.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wasn't around for the genesis of it. I have no idea how any of that came to be, but yeah, that is actually a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 2: We were at a protest recently, and I hadn't been involved in the early days of it when it was mostly protest support for solidarity snacks mentioned last episode.
Speaker 1: Which people can financially support, Yes, we.
Speaker 2: Need uh or the fund is getting We only have a couple more Saturdays left unless we get more funds, which hopefully will come in. But I didn't realize that the like cart that my friend used initially to start the whole thing is like was like well known amongst people. Really, people were like, Oh, it's the cart, know you, it's the cart. That's cool, pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So yeah, something and something that is my that is my endorsement society.
Speaker 2: It's a new a new riggule on the on the format.
Speaker 1: We've progressed past the need for things, not the other thing that said, all of those things that I named, like home's not jails, homes not jails, rules, and I actually almost did a whole thing about them, but I ran out of time. They're like people who, well, they do kind of what they say. They they open up squads and.
Speaker 2: Are great. It's often just the like, just another pass at the copy, that's all usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally exactly what we need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the main issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so that's why I would like to propose a new something and something food and bombs for people who want to kill the Czar of Russia. I mean, if you want to kill the Czar of Russia, it has been proven empirically, through trial and error a lot of air that the most effective way to kill the Czar of Russia is with bombs. So just saying putting that out there, please don't actually do that and then say that I had anything to do with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so your mouth's shut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, no fucking snitches and food and bombs, all right, So food out bombs. It's getting super popular with people who like to eat food, But there are people who hate fun and freedom and people having nice things like food who are waiting in the wings. And these people, of course, best known as the government and the cops. This conflict first arises in a serious way in nineteen eighty eight in San Francisco. You've got this mayor. He's super progressive. His name's Art Agnos. He ran on how environmental and feminist and pro union and shit.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 1: Spoiler. Okay, So he comes in during an intense period of gentrification of San Francisco and it's starting to change it into the yuppie hell hole we all know and love today. He wants to solve the homelessness crisis, and he starts off with some decent ideas about how to solve the homelessness crisis. He wants to build low income housing, which of course always gets complicated but is not inherently wrong. He also makes sleeping bands, and then he revives a nineteenth century law against lying down in public place with camping gear. Because you know that the government's doing something good when they find a law that has not been enforced in one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, so you should look at the laws, the other laws from that year and just see what else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, Like if this is who you're in company with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't be. These were not good legislators.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, they're like, and here's the law against the following racial Oh wait no, Tessa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, but that's not for a couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's the sweet spot. That is the heyday of the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think San Francisco is like a started being all the like like Chinese folks don't come here in the late nineteenth century, I think. Yeah, and hooray, America has a really cool history and present so wild the other thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, go ahead, Oh no, they're just recapping for my brain, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, the laws back, Yeah, the laws back, and he starts sending out cops two sweep parks full of homeless folks. Fuck art agnos. He's not progressive, he claims it, and and everyone I think starts seeing him as basically like, oh, he's the classic democrat. He is a bait and switch. He gets elected by progressives because the elector the people who vote a manner are progressives, and then he serves neoliberalism instead. Hooray and funup bomb shows up on the scene around the same time as art Agnos and Fun not Bombs. At the beginning, they weren't even trying to be controversial. They actually applied for a permit and did all of the paperwork and all that stuff. But the local business owners were like, no, you can't have homeless people eating food in public, as if there's some other place for people who don't have houses to eat food. So they pressure the city. The city denies the perbit, and Food Out Bombs rolls over and accepts it and ends as an organization. And wait, no, they say fuck it, and they feed people food anyway, and they start to get arrested for it, like a lot, Like in the first few months, there's almost one hundred arrests. It becomes an assembly line. Someone lines up to get a free meal. Someone scoops food onto the plate of the person who's there for a free meal, and the cops arrest the person who serves the food. So the next server steps up and feeds the next person in line and gets arrested. And and they just do this right because they're not afraid of civil disobedience. They do what's right, not what's safe. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also truly like you know, obviously, if you're a fucking cop, you are the worst human being. But like it's hard to have it more like in your face, what a fucking discussing piece oftion you are? Yeah, that day, I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so the fight is about food, I guess kind of, but not really. It's it's about more than that. It's about who controls public space. Are the parks controlled by the government or are they controlled by the people who make use of the park. And the government, of course tends to believe that they're the ones who get to control the park, but I would argue, if you've ever been to a park, you know that that's not the case. The politics of a park are remapped daily by the people who are there. Like there might not be a sign up that says don't skateboard on the basketball court, but like the basketball court most of the time is for basketball players and who have their own structures about who decides which courts are being used, and like, you know, it's I mean, parks are beautiful because there are these informal organizational spots that happen daily all over the world. I don't know, It's like one thing I miss about living in cities and yeah.
Speaker 2: Or just like like the like the yeah, the politics of any like public place are like so interesting. Yeah, it's totally. You can make all the rules you want, but those aren't the rules.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. And you know, and people who have no private space to return to, they're going to use public space, which makes sense, right, And I've never had to deal with homelessness. I used to be a traveling activist, but that was my choice. Is very structurally different. But I remember this one time I was taking a nap and a van in a parking lot and it was really hot, so I opened the doors, and I was just thinking about how, like I could now get in trouble. It'd be perfectly legal for me to park my van and get out of it and leave my van in this public space. But now that I'm sleeping in it, it's sketchy. But even more than that, it seems so weird to me that if I didn't have a car, I can't just set my stuff down in this public space that is meant for holding stuff, right, is a public spaceman for people to leave their car and walk away. And it just sort of like hits me.
Speaker 2: It's a magic of a car yeah, used in a certain way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then even if you have a car, if you don't have a private space to then take it home to later, you're not usually not allowed to park it anywhere. And it I don't know whatever, This isn't news to anyone probably that there's a lot of laws against homelessness that I wish I had the quote in front of me, but I don't. There's that quote about the law and it's it's uh, it's awesome equality. Uh outlaws both the poor and the rich from like pissing in the street. Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: The law is like perfectly fair, like like no one is permitted to sleep under the bridge or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And La specifically, they've they've come out with all these like where they pretend like it's not trying to do that type laws where they're like like recently La City Council approved an ordinance where it's like bike repair on the street is now illegal and yeah, and then they were like, what what do you mean this has not this has nothing to do with you know, the unhoused communities.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And and you know, anybody that that reads it is like just be honest, Yeah, what are you what do you what do you mean? And uh, you know, there's there's so many different things. It's like putting boulders under freeway underpasses and things like that. They're like, oh no, it's to prevent and they make up some lights like yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw a bat there once, and I don't want people to get rabies. So that's why there's a boulder.
Speaker 3: It's like, just treat people with dignity. Don't be so.
Speaker 2: Politicians.
Speaker 1: We'll just being gloves off and be like we want our clean city. Actually, don't do that either. Don't do that. That's nice, Like like oh.
Speaker 2: I I prefer the open fascists, Like it's like sort of it's glib, but yeah, don't tump them.
Speaker 1: I know. I'm not looking forward to that stage.
Speaker 2: It's like always like, oh I just prefer when people are say what they really believe. It's like I promise.
Speaker 1: You you don't yeah, totally, I know.
Speaker 3: I know. We were talking about like Democrats that run with these liberal policies and it's like, oh no, you're a Republican and like that sucks. But but having like the actual fascist run on fat like yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like that, like, oh, I prefer it at least I know where I stand. It's like, no, it's not such of where you stand is like such a valueless thing.
Speaker 1: And also like right, like when everyone had to be quiet about them slightly more quiet about their racism and shit, I think it made fewer young racists because if you can't pass it on as this contagion, racism is a contagion.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, truly it is like like that, that is like the thing it's like for all like the you know, subconscious or like quiet racism, Like it truly is better. It is just better. Yeah, a better society where at least they have to experience some sort of shame or second guessing themselves. Yeah, I'm not saying it's good, but it's better than the alternative. It certainly is that totally okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so all these people are getting arrested because the city is real clear how they want to control space. They're like, we control the parks. There's actually all these quotes from different city council people that are like or you know, from the city government that's like and cops that are like, we control these parks, not these homeless people and these anarchists or like they're making a political statement. I mean it's like, yeah, of course, feeding people in a society where there's people going hungry, dying in the streets as a political statement, like this shouldn't be happening is a political statement because the current political system isn't working.
Speaker 2: Also like pathetic, that is the like, yeah, you're scared of political statements?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally. So the civil disobedience works, and after a few months, the city sits down to negotiate with them and gives them a temporary permit. They have to like move a couple blocks over to like get it out of I think they're in Golden Gate Park at this point. They have to go a few blocks away, so they're like lesson public eye. But they drop all the charges against all the arrestees and things are a little better. But these radical homeless people. The next year they set up an encampment outside of city Hall and they have the coolest slogan ever for this exact thing, which is, we're tired, we're hungry, we don't like the government. Just say what you fucking mean. I want our side to say what they fucking mean.
Speaker 2: You know that's significantly better. Yeah, yeah, Well, the problem is most of our side quote unquote our side yea doesn't mean that that's true. Yep, that's that's the dark side of things. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ah, well, Fon up Bombs decides to go support that, just to avoid lingering on that dark thought. Yea, up Bombs. They decide to go support this homeless lead initiative. And I believe it at this point a decent chunk of the Food Up Bombs organizers are homeless folks themselves. I'm not entirely certain about how all that works, but it's more complicated than people might initially think. And they set up a twenty four hour soup kitchen to feed the protest camp. And this and the fact that some of the organizers non violently occupy the mayor's office, gets the whole encampment swept by the ostensibly progressive mayor, and Food Up Bombs permit is revoked, and so Food up Bombs is like, all right, fuck it, and they go back to the park no longer a couple of blocks away, and they just they're not going to be swept out from public eye and they're just going to feed people. And over the next seven years, this fight goes on for seven years, over two administrations, over a thousand activists gets sighted and or arrested for feeding people in the park. Nuns and priests joined them at one point. My favorite was that lawyers of the National Lawyers Guild showed up shout out to the National Lawyers Guild. They're great. They decided to serve food and get arrested. The cops are like, no, we're good. I just don't arrest the National Lawyers Guild because that's who they're actually afraid of as lawyers.
Speaker 2: I mean, they used to be. I was at the just for a part of and I wasn't able to be around for like the most violent parts of the disgusting, hopefully soon to be gone. City council member Mitchell Ferrell ordered the LAPD to sweep Echo Park here and truly, I mean it was one of those like right like this this felt like a new thing. I'm not super experienced with stuff, but like the LAPD like first of all, all like you know, performing acts of violence now with like everything recorded, but like actively going after journalists and the like the green hat national right folks, targeting them in some truly fascist ship and then setting up a uh literal concentration camp at Echo Park, Like they fence it off and you could not You didn't. You weren't free to leave or enter.
Speaker 1: They're just going to concentrate all the people into one place so that they can be handled. It was fucking not a concentration park. It was just concentration of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was, it was you know, it was so fucking disgusting. Yeah, it's unforgettable.
Speaker 3: Major media wouldn't even like really cover it because they're cowards. But it's like it was being live streamed on Twitter and you're seeing it and you're like, yeah, this this is a concentration camp in the middle of Los Angeles being run by our by the LAPD, by actual fascist Mitchell Ferrel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If you're listening to this and you're an LA voter and there's or if you're not, actually there's any way to contribute to the UGO Sodo Martinez campaign in any way to unseat open fascists, Mitchell Feral, please do that please. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I keep running when I was like researching this. At one point, I like got really frustrated about halfway through writing all this, where I was like, it's also quaint. I know that they were fighting for really hard things and it was really hard, but I'm just like, oh my god, like just even the what you're saying about, you know, the National Lawyer's Guild actually gets arrested now right in the exact same situation, and just like, yeah, I'm really not trying to downplay the incredible amount of work that Funabum's well, that still does and does now in this new context. So I'm really not trying to knock it, but it is it's it's hard to see how far we've not come in terms of the move towards.
Speaker 2: D Yeah, I mean I think it is also like like probably the at least some version of this activism. The stuff that I felt like I saw a lot in the nineties was a lot of people insulated by their whiteness from some of the worst things. But that is like part of you know, it goes both ways too, because it is like part of civil disobedience is like civil disobedience only works if your oppressors have any kind of conscience, and like, yeah, it's just like cops have more of a conscience for like white teens than you know, your average on house person. Your average black person, etc. Like so there is some version of that, but then that becomes like sort of this white saviory vibe that can go the wrong way. It could turn into people encouraging street theater where you dress up like the homeless because you don't think about what that means. Yeah, I don't know, sorry, I'm I'm just like on that little tangent. No. No, it was like scary.
Speaker 1: Now, that's such as to me, Like.
Speaker 2: Like during the George Floyd uprising, it was just like, oh, the lapd is like beating middle class white women in broad daylight now, which feels like an escalation. Yeah, Like you know, at least typically under they they in the past, it feels like they would at least wait till sundown. Yeah.
Speaker 3: To do that, they were like actively kettling people at like on a on a Tuesday at like one pm and then like and then like beating them on camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was like pretty remarkable, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know what else is remarkable? Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Market.
Speaker 1: I was like, are you going to do that?
Speaker 2: Because it's time.
Speaker 1: The concept of dogs. Yeah, dogs, and oh we have a new advertiser that I'm very excited about that we'll be running an ad. It would actually be the first host voiced ad that we'll be running on this network. And that is the concept. Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shut the fuck up, don't talk to cops. That is the concept. Oh smart, Yeah, no, sorry, I wasn't on you all to shut the fuck up saying that when you get arrested.
Speaker 2: Shut the fuck up. Oh there's that too, But some of y'all do need also shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Here's some ads, Hi, Margaret Kiljoy. Here, boy, the world sure is a mess right now. Huh. Seems like every day there are more and more reasons to get out into the streets and protest. That's why when I get arrested, there's only one strategy. I trust, I shut the fuck up. I say, I would like to remain silent, I would like to talk to my lawyer, and then I shut the fuck up. In the United States of America, it's constitutionally protected and recommended by the National Lawyers Guild. That's s h U t thch f U c k up. Once again, that's s h U T thh E f U s up. Because you can't talk yourself out of custody, but you can talk yourself into a conviction.
Speaker 4: Providing identification to law enforcement required in some states and situations giving them an address expedient in most circumstances. Never discuss the events leading to arrest with anyone except your lawyer, doctor, or therapist. Posting pictures of protests and actions on social media may lead to complications. If you have already talked to cops or experienced confusion about talking to cops, call your attorney immediately, as these may be signs of more serious legal problems. The concept of not talking to cops does not provide legal advice, and the foregoing statements are for informational purposes only. If you have specific legal questions, consult an attorney.
Speaker 1: And we are back and we are thinking about the escalation. And also, yeah, how like people who actually ag are more heavily marginalized by society have been dealing with this shit and it wasn't as like quaint even back, you know. Yeah, so that is a really good point.
Speaker 2: I mean it's tough. Yeah, it just goes all ways, like it's like yes, absolutely doing you know a good thing on the balance, and like certainly there the allies, but Yeah, it's just it is weird, like the using essentially you're on privilege to advance goals, but sort of still you have that privilege and you can not extend that privilege, which is always like the precarious thing too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I mean I think that has a lot to do with like where you're taking direction from, right, Like, yeah, you know, if I'm going to be protesting in a context in which I'm attempting to use my white privilege, it usually ideally would be in the context of like listening to you know, the direction and the overall strategy that is being proposed by the group that I'm attempting to be in solidarity with.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and which is of course also really complicated because people are like people of color are not monolith even among individual you know, like identities, and so you know, you people choosing who they listen to.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Well, this is why I don't run a politics podcast as a shit gets messy. I just talked about history.
Speaker 2: No exactly. I mean I think that's like it's both messy and like ugly, and and you know the reality is there is no like right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, way, totally yeah, Yeah, I think that that, And that's one of the things I love about movements that are so like like diverse in terms of ideologies, in terms of ideas, in terms of strategies tactics, Like when we can work to coordinate different strategies and tactics together and different people coming from different positions, I feel like that's where we are our strongest personally. So the next mayor San Francisco, speaking of people getting a little more glove off, the next pair of San Francisco was the chief of police who orchestrated the crackdown on na pumps right, and a runs an anti homeless camp on a he runs on the anti homelesslatf and things just heat up for food ut bombs. But of course also everywhere in the city with this guy, and over the course of the fight, the city removes all the benches from the park, so folks have to eat sitting on the ground, which didn't stop anyone from eating food. You'll be shocked to know. Then they put up signs everywhere that said serving food without a permit is a crime. These were probably roughly as effective as skateboarding is a crime signs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's like it really is, like what like what society are you in? Yeah, you know that that that is your like priority. That's say that means taxpayers spend money on this. It's like is this really who you fucking are? I mean it it is. Yeah, it's gross to think about, like a be that person.
Speaker 1: And the other thing they spent tax payer money on was to remove the fountain from the park because I guess though it's you know, all right, well they're gonna eat, they better not be somewhere with like pretty things, better not enjoy it, you know, have access to a water feature anyway, So Food not Bomb starts getting it comes up with different tactics to deal with all this harassment. Right, people get sick of people of the cops stealing their food, so they start having decoy food buckets where they put a third of the food in the bucket and they go up and they set up, and the cops steal the bucket and then they're like, ah, shucks, you stole our food, and the cops leave. So then they bring out the next third of a bucket and they serve some people and then the cops steal the food, and then they bring out a final third in a third bucket. And the flyer that they distribute all over the world being like, here's how to deal with it. If the cops are stealing your food, is like cops are too embarrassed to come back the third time to steal the food. And I don't know whether it's they're too embarrassed that they got like Looney Tunes tricked, or if they're just embarrassed about the fact that it really hits home about the fact that they are like just stealing food. That's what their job is, is steal food from the mouths of hungry people. And Keith McHenry, the founder guy that you know I have the most information about, he was arrested ninety four times between nineteen eighty eight and nineteen ninety four, which is more than once a month for seven years straight. As he puts it, he was framed up on three other felonies during that time it was facing twenty five years in prison. I have no counter argument to this. And during that same time period, for example, the FBI had just covered up the car bombing of two environmentalists, Judy Barry and Darryl Churney. Yeah, and the FEDS might have even done the car bombing, but the thing that's been proven in court is that they at least covered it up, right, So this is the so here I am being like, ahaha, different times, Like actually, no, people are getting car bombed by the Feds probably yeah, but yeah, yeah, I mean it's just like it probably is. I mean they are the same people. Yeah, they're worse and they have the Internet now, yeah, but like they're the same people that have always been doing this shit. So yeah, yeah it is different. There was more innocent and less innocent. Yeah, you know, in different ways. Different Yeah yeah, yeah, just different, is honestly the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're not any less murderous in service of right, you know, right of their their little society.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just their tactics changed in different situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he spends a total of Keith mccannery spends a total of five hundred days in jail during this seven year time, just with all of these minor rests for serving food, and the harassment started getting so bad that Amnesty International was wrote a letter to San Francisco saying that they were considering designating food not Bombs activists as prisoners of conscience, basically saying like, if you if you don't stop harassing people based on their political beliefs, that we're going to adopt them as prisoners are conscious you will be breaking international law, and we will fight for their unconditional release, and eventually, two mayors later, food ut bombs just kind of wins by default because the city stops war against them and they keep serving food. And thirty years after all this stuff, they're still serving food, and they still serve food all over the world. The current best guests there's no official registry of food out bombs. The best guess is that there's around five hundred cities in the US with chapters and about five hundred more cities around the world, and food up bombs of activists have been spied on by the FEDS and arrested by cops time and time again. Literally, while I was researching this, I messaged Sophia since I figured this out. I ran across a memo from the FBI about how they were spying on Denver food out bombs in two thousand and four, which is when I was in Denver cooking food out bombs, and it stuck out to me because they're describing how they were trying to get information out of my neighbors like our house ran one day of cooking, and different houses across the city ran different days of it, and some punks like some it's like punks did it some days, students did it other days. Whatever. And so the document points out that while they arrested AID activists at this food not Bomb's house, none of them nor any of the other people at the residence that the FBI was trying to question, gave any information to the investigation, which rules and is how you all should handle interactions with the federal police. You tell them that you have representation and that ask for their card, and that is the only information you give them. You don't lie to them and you don't tell them anything anyway. So after the fall of the Soviet Union, let's just jump gears really quick. Who ut bomb springs up all over Russia and the former Communist block Poland, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, and Russia all have or had chapters, and the stakes there are a bit higher than they've been for a lot of the US chapters. In November two thousand and five, a who Nut bombser in Saint Petersburg, teamer Kachavera was hanging out at a cafe a few hours after serving food in the park. A boneheads, which are Nazi skinheads, swarmed him chanting and this will be a familiar chance to Americans. They were chanting anti Antifa Nazis were strained Teamer while another another Nazi, who was only fourteen years old, stabbed him to death five times in the neck. And Timer was an anarchist and a philosophy student. He was twenty years old and he played in a punk band called Sandinista. Two years later, Bonehead swarmed Food not Bombs in Saint Petersburg again, and if I'm reading the various articles correctly, they swarmed the actual feeding itself. This time they attacked and another Food not Bombs are Ivan Yellen. He survives, but he got stabbed twenty times for serving food in the park. And while he was recovering in the hospital, dozens of his friends showed up to donate blood to the hospital. Some came from as far away as Moscow, which is like an eight hour train ride. Basically people coming in solidarity to offer their blood. I'm sure they had plenty of blood. I hope the people showed up then gave blood to other people in the hospital, which is an inch escalation of mutual aid.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then on the fourth of February two thousand and seven, Nazis went for the ultimate irony and they bombed a food not bombs. No one gets killed they I just want to like say that upfront so there's less tension around that. They hide a bomb in the flower stall, and it's I hate to laugh at this. It's said to go off at the time of the feeding, but the jokes on the Nazis because the feeding was run by punks and so they were late, and so the bomb goes off before anyone arrives, and no one was hurt, and they fed people as usual on the day that Nazis tried to bomb them. I said at the very beginning where I was like, in this time, no one gets killed by Nazis, and actually one person gets killed by Nazis in this Yeah, And I remember.
Speaker 2: I didn't, I didn't. I should have probably known where I was going. I was. I was more chuckling at the you know where anti Edtifa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're just fascist that, Yeah, you're regular fuss terrible Yeah, yeah, no, I know, totally yeah, And I remember when this happened, it hit us all kind of hard, and it was like kind of sobering, right because we would get harassed for serving food nut bombs and like a couple of times I've served food ut bombs or eating it with like riot police all around and helicopters overhead and all that shit. But fucking Russia, they're getting bombed for it, and and the attacks were focused. It's the same focus in the US. It's it's about who controls spaces. Right in the US, it's the government is like, we control the parks. And in Russia at the time, the Nazis were like, no, we control the parks. And so it was they were attacking the the Saint Petersburg DIY leftist an anarchist punk scene which organized against the fascists under the name Antifa, And so the regular fu are not fans of Antifa, and so you know they.
Speaker 2: No, it's but it's just like it's like again, if you're murdering people for like handing out food, it's I mean, but that's like such a like fascist through line, you know. It's just like and that is a little you know, we talked, I talked about it. It's like me not understanding, you know. I was sort of like I guess I was still also just like not not not clear, but like when I was talking about just the small amount of mutual aid stuff I've been doing over the last couple of years, and like the like relative paranoia I feel that, you know, these these you know, patriots like have and I think the thing that is it's like because my in my mind is like, what are they going to do kill us for handing out you know, granola bars? And the answer is yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it depends on how far things go, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but the answer is yes, yeah. Like so so that's like hard to internalize. And I think that is It's like because often you like come to this sort of thing with like the energy of this is like a social thing, yeah, or at least it's part of it. And it's like, yeah, very hard to not you know, to realize that like yes, like we are like doing something, but it's like we're actually there is an element of peril to this that is hard to like kind of like really realize sometimes, like right, this shit is like real yeah, and like even though it shouldn't be again totally it's literally just handing out fucking snacks and like hand sanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and almost every single food not bombs feeding that happens worldwide is pleasant with good mediocre to good food depending on the cooks and a good environment and safe, you know, and like, and I definitely wouldn't discourage people. You know, if you're in Moscow right now, it's a lot more complicated, right, but you know, and things will get more complicated here as things happen. But but that's going to be true. It's going to be true wherever you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it is also like, yeah, like elements of like there's always something you can do totally. So it's like, you know, if you get to the point where it feels perilous to be there in person, there's things you can do. Yeah, it feels perilous to like be with a collective group of people cooking or organizing or whatever, there's things you can do totally. Yeah, something there's always more. You can always be doing more than you've been doing.
Speaker 1: And like, and it can always be something that plays to your strengths and it doesn't have to be something that is like you can think about what you are willing to risk and then think about how you can go about meeting your own needs and still engage, you know, and like yeah, just being the person to call like food co ops or big chain organic stores or regular stores and be like, hey, I'm working with you know, food, not bombs or if they're burned on that make up some other I don't know legality what I'm saying, find ways to get donations of food, and like I think, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you probably can just not name the yeah, yeah place I suppose, but yeah, yeah, yeah, there's always something. I mean, I think that I was doing also during the George Floyd uprising was like trying to help out with just listening to the police scanner. Yeah totally, which was also illuminating in that I was like, oh, these people are both Like it was wild listening to cops be legitimately sound afraid. I mean, they're fucking fascist cowards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it really was.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, you're scared of like I know who's in that crowd, Like, yeah, I'm fucking scared of them. Yeah, like you have guns, you're the violent one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's I mean, because fascism is a coward's ideology, like it's that's why they only attack when they're in big groups. That's why, you know, like yeah, and when there's a fair fight, they back down. It seems like not universally, but it Yeah, and a lot of what I'm reading not even a fair fight. Yeah, but I mean you see it like in Portland. Yeah, and like all like if you just like can stand up and be organize, the fucking proud boy type folks just like they're too stupid and weak and scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean it is the difference in the ideologies. It's like they don't have each other's backs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So so the reason they need like the swarm is because it's they're they're so brittle, because they are so cowardly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's literally just I'm afraid of the other. That is the it seems to me is like the core of fascism, you know. And yeah, so speaking of people standing up to fascism, this isn't an ad break. This is just you're talking more about some of these Russian food up bombsters what it could be dogs stand up to fascists. Uh, some of them, some of them. Okay, No, that's a hard one.
Speaker 2: Famously a bunch of them love fascists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well probably a lot of a lot of our most famous dogs are pro fascists, you know, all right, all right, fine.
Speaker 2: Regrettably, I'm just saying, yeah, no, no more dogs more dogs are cops than are not cops.
Speaker 1: I know my dog.
Speaker 2: More dogs are not cops, but more famous dogs are cops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's riot dogs all over Greece and various countries in South America, Central America. Who who hate cops? All right, well, then here's some unrelated advertisements, because we live in a capitalist hell world. Yes, and we are back, and we are talking about in Russia and continues in Russia, I believe to this day. During the invasion, at the beginning of the current invasion of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, Moscow, food not Bombs put out a hasty translation of a statement which is in order to keep and increase the benefits in their hands. The government declares wars who will collect their intestines with their hands, who will have their arms and legs torn off by explosions, whose families will bury their children. Of course, all of this does not apply to the ruling minority. We must resist the militaristic regime and the war it is waging with all of our might. Spread information among your comrades, fight as best you can. And then they've been doing that. A bunch of food Nut Bombs activists were arrested in February and anti war demonstration. You can see the video. It's literally just some people walking down the street with a banner and cops grabbing them off the street and arresting them. And then in March, out of food not bombs, feeding unknown assailants. They might have been cops, they might have been just piece of shit warmongers. Kidnapped four people out of food nut Bombs, threw them into a car, drove them out into the forest, said they were going to make them dig their own graves them off one by one and beat the shit out of them with police batons and seriously wounded several of them. I believe all of them, but I'm not sure. Belarus Food Nut Bombs has been going since two thousand and six, but they had to suspend operations in January twenty twenty two because of the repression there of the anarchist movement. Because Belarus is boot looking for Putin and that things have been going real hard for them there. But that was a terrible bummer note for me to end this part about food ut bombs on there's actually one more story that's related to mutual Aid than I want to say, but if you have a way to quickly turn this around on a positive note about food nut bombs. I'm looking at how I wrote the script and I'm not proud.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I think the thing that is like it's this scary part, but it is the real part, which is like again, I came to mutual Aid mainly because you know, the world, but also like it was like honestly just for my own mental health, like such a like important thing. I wound up being to like do something and it's like, yeah, there's a social element to it, but like not that it's good that this is this is a political action that is like violently repressed by literal fascists. But I think to the extent that there's a silver lining for like an American audience is like this is like you are part of something actually powerful when you do things like this that again, it's it's that like you know, you look around and like for me, I'm like God, everyone seems here, seems really fucking paranoid, and it's like they're not, but they're not that you know, it's still like like at least there's that power there of realizing that you are like really doing something. Yeah, can be helpful, but yeah, it's fucking hard obviously.
Speaker 1: Now that makes sense. I mean, like, we live in a society that tries to deny us agency, right, that's like one of its main structural ideas, And and here's just a really good, almost always very safe way to claim agency. And also this the society we're living in right now is trying to even the society at large, but chunks of it are trying to disappear people and more and more people are trying are starting to fall through the cracks. And it's not a coincidence from my point of view that this is happening as other things in the world are getting worse. And and here's a way that you can help stop that. You know, there's that there's that fucking poem about the you know verse they came for and then they came for. Yeah, and like great, like give people give stuff to people who are homeless, Like that's good. That is part of that that is part of stopping that chain of events that does lead to you and I, you know, like yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The other like purely selfish way, if you want to look at it this way, it's like like we're talking about like sort of like in vaguely like militaristic terms. But the thing is, it's like, again, I am past probably my brick throwing days, but like.
Speaker 1: Why do you keep winking when you say that? Though, Oh sorry anyway.
Speaker 2: No, I really am.
Speaker 3: I just like even like even like very funny though.
Speaker 2: Carrying carrying a folding table the other day, I was like, god, damn it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like.
Speaker 2: I just can't. Yeah, like you here's why not because I'm like it's it's I'm just like you. You don't want me. I'm not I'm not best used on brick throwing duty on either side of things. It's just like not, it's not good for anyone. However, it was a thing where I was like during like some of the darkest and the like perpetual up coming darkest moment, like the darkest moments that come is that like these motherfuckers who are like the paranoid people who are just like you know, in my eyes, paranoid people who are like handing out caranola bars, et cetera. Like when if and when like shit really goes bad, like this is the network, this is the thing that becomes a resistance or whatever or like if not these people, then something like it or something adjacent to it. Yeah, or like and you know it's real because these people have been out on the street doing shit, spending their own like energy and money and like time, Like if they were narks, it would be you know, they deserve it because if they put in yeah, totally this shit. So it's like, yeah, fine, send me to jail. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's this old earth burst thing where earth bursters would be like Okay, once you figure out who the cop is in the group, you don't you don't kick them out. You just have them take all the notes and you just like make sure that they pay for everything. I am not recommending this as a strategy. I am not trying to opine about how groups should deal with infiltration. I am merely relaying a thing that has happened in the past.
Speaker 2: No, truly, Well, but yeah, it's like just the element of like you know, yeah, just again on a purely selfish level. It is like, these are the folks that I having demonstrated having their back, they're going to have my back. Yeah, and the people you meet, I don't know. It's like, I mean, you know, if that's another way to look at it, it's like you're just building the structures that hopefully we will never need in a real way, but what we already use them in a real way.
Speaker 1: And like I've always been about, you know, I think that this dichotomy between the self interest in the community interest is a false dichotomy because being part of a healthy community that takes care of people rules for me as an individual, Like I love food not bombs because I ate it as so much and it let me not have a job and just run around and hop freight trains badly and mostly failed at that, and hitchhike around and like live the life I wanted to lead in my twenties, right, And and also yeah, building these networks is like one of the only ways that I can, Like, I mean, I'm not doing the work of building these networks now, I just run a podcast and read history books. Also rules, But I don't know, being part knowing these networks exist is part of literally how I sleep as well as I do as a trans woman in the current environment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, so yeah, it's like it's like, at least you kind of have a sense that, look, you have a chance, and you have people who are like organized and doing something, and look, yeah, not every thing is going to succeed. Mostly it doesn't, but yeah, you know it's something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that does not actually naturally lead to But I want to pivot to talk about the final, final part of this whole thing, which is I bet you're wondering. I know a lot of people at home are wondering, what do gay birds have to do with mutual aid? And I have an answer for you, because this is going to be a story that talks about the origins of mutual aid as a as a term at least, and it brings us back to Russia, where the land where the government says there are no gay people. I don't know whether they say or not there's any gay birds. But so I can't remember the name of the magazine, and I'm so annoyed. I spent so long trying to find this magazine. But I read this magazine in two thousand and four it was about gay birds and mutual aid. And I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and tell younger me that, like, one day, all of these things that I read that give me my ideas, I'll actually have to cite them and source them. I would not have believed you. And I find this magazine in a trash can and it's about science. It's a science magazine I don't remember the name of it, and has an article and it's talking about scientists are finally starting to talk about gay animals in the early turn of the millennia, the early aughts, and and they're trying to figure out what the fuck it means for evolutionary science. So so this brings us to Darwin, and I promise we'll come back to the birds. You might have heard of this guy, this guy named Charles Darwin. Sophie's nodding. Sophie's heard of this guy. And he's this rich white British science dude who was like, whoa evolution? And then more than that, he was like, whoa natural selection is about? Drives evolution? And he wrote a book about it. And the book is called whoa Natural Selection? The Origin of the Species or something like that, and he wrote direct quotes yeah damn dog Yeah. And he was actually way cooler than most of the people who came after him who invoke his name, and way cooler than I expected him to be when I started researching this part of the story. Among other things that have nothing to do with today's story, he and other scientists helped intervene on behalf of a French geographer a Lee Raclue, who fought in the Paris Commune and was going to be executed for trying to overthrow France basically, and all these scientists were like, no, I can't execute him. He's our guy. He's like a scientist. Darwin was also an abolitionist. He pushed back against race science that invoked his name, and he argued against any kind of like social planning that led to eugenics, and he believed that people needed to be free to reproduce as they wanted, which is again since most eugenics is sort of based and calling itself darwinistic, I feel like it's a big deal, and specifically it's kind of interesting to me because he didn't deny this concept of like, I guess you could change how humans work by selective breeding. But what he says is, and this is a paraphrase, not a quote, Okay, some traits are genetic, but if you control who reproduces, you will get rid of the single best trait in humanity, which is our capacity for empathy. And so he's just like, no, I would never work. And I kind of liked that. That's like a science approach to being like, oh, you can't do this racist thing because of this like science, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, but also too, it's like, because that isn't how it works. It's like you need variance and randomness, and like trying to direct it is not going to work. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just wrong on some fucking levels.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What wasn't wrong were his iconic mutton chops, which later became an epic wizard beard that almost makes me sad I got laser hair removal. It's such a good beard. I don't know why it's I mean, everyone has wizard beards back in the day, but Darwin's particularly good. Now that I don't hate him, I kind of always assumed he was.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean, I think, like all learned people of the time, you're still grading on a.
Speaker 1: Curve it's true. He yeah, I'm go it gets to some of that. Sorry, okay, no, no, no, okay. So he was like, whoa, look how species differentiate, and other people are like, yes, this justifies imperialism and the abuse of the poor, of the strong survive the meek parish and he had to like waste his time being like, maybe you shouldn't base policy on what made one animal into another animal. Yeah, And he he does spend a while trying to figure out if colonialism is comparable to evolutionary natural selection. And he also believed that men naturally dominate over women because of genetics or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I mean I think it's like just so hard to like any scientists. It's like I think as humans clearly were like wired to believe, like it's if it happens, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, it definitely happens. But like one of the trademarks of being human is realizing that things that happen aren't good just because they happened.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like wild, like yes, yes, absolutely, you know, survival of the fittest occurs, yeah, but is it good? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And there are other options and that's what other scientists. But first I'm to talk about a scientists who took it the wrong way. Sure, so oh oh, And the final note about Darwin, total science nerd. The year before he dies, he's like seventy something and which in the nineteenth century means you're kicking ass, because the life expectancy is forty for men in England at the time that he's alive. He's almost doubled that. And the year before he dies he publishes his last work. And his last work is called The Formation of Vegetable Mold through the Action of Worms, And I just, yeah, I love it. He's a science guy.
Speaker 2: He never stopped yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And so there's two ways you can take all of the stuff he says, and there's the reasonable way and the way that doesn't make any fucking sense. And the guy who took it the most, the way it doesn't make any fucking sense, is best exemplified, at least by this guy named Herbert spent Here's another white British dude. He also has iconic mutton shops. Herbert Spencer should have been cool. His parents were Quakers. He grew up anti authoritarian and socialist and militantly feminist as someone who is all of those things. I like that. Then he took a turn to the hard right libertarian thing, and he started opposing women's suffrage and saying that all socialism is slavery and that it sure is good that all the inferior races are being wiped off the face of the earth. And he spent time complaining about race mixing, diluting the white race. He doesn't sound anything like people who are around today. He's the one who coined the term survival of the fittest, and he laid the philosophical groundwork for what later became right wing libertarianism and the economics of I've got mind, fuck you.
Speaker 2: Survival of the fittest truly is yeah, like just a tiny sliver of the theory of evolution. Yep.
Speaker 1: That is like, yeah, no exactly. And for some odd reason, this guy died alone and lonely. I'm not it's hard to imagine why. He also might have invented the paper clip. There's a lot of people who claim to have invented the paper clip. He is a man, then, So that's like the social Darwinism side, all about competition. The thing is, though, that Darwin didn't only write about competition, he also wrote about cooperation. And this brings me back to the gay animals, because all these Darwinists that not the social darmies particularly that a problem. If every animal is just trying to fucking pass on their genes as widely as possible, then why are some of them gay? Which for a long time people just ignored the fact that dogs animals were gay. But have you met a dog, Like, I don't know, I only have one dog, and my dog as gay as fuck. My dog gay as fuck. Yeah, I'm pretty sure my dog's pan, but I haven't like proven this, partly because I removed his capacity to you.
Speaker 2: Know, like get it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But so some animals are gay. For a while in the twentieth century, reactionaries used to be like, gayness isn't natural. If it was natural, then animals would be gay, and there's no gay animals. And then finally someone was like, yeah, there's so many gay animals, and so now reactionaries instead have to be like, we are better than those gay animals. That's what makes those human, you know. But then around the beginning of the twenty first century, basically people were like, okay, we have to address the fact that animals are gay, and people were like, but why how does this work with if all we believe is survival of the fittest. And the answer is something that evolutionary biologists have been talking about for one hundred goddamn fucking years, and basically they realized a couple things one hundred fucking goddamn years ago. One, sometimes animals do things just because things are fun. We're not actually robots. Animals try to aren't just trying to maximize their reproduction or whatever. Birds fly around in flocks because like, holy shit, we can fucking fly. This rules, you know. And fucking is also fun unless you're lucky enough to be like fucking a right wing dude who buys into the Ben Shapiro thing, which case you're not necessarily having a good time. Yeah all of them, or you know, have other drama of it whatever anyway, anyway, yeah problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but also, gay animals are good for community, and this is the main thing that was in this article that I read that like I have my like mind explode moment or whatever about this. Gay animals foster kids, and they also allow for relationships like within the animal communities, that aren't just like one boy Ostrich one I'm making this animal up for an example, and one girl Ostrich or whatever. You have a greater capacity for love within the community. And it turns out that that makes everyone happier, live longer, and everything is good. So this is a confirmation of this fight that had been going on one hundred years ago competition versus cooperation, which wasn't actually competition versus cooperation. It was one side saying competition is the only thing that happens, and the other side saying it's both. It's always been both, it will always be both.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, that's also like cooperation is. Typically it's cooperation within a sphere that helps a larger group possibly compete with a different groups or societies or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And the champion of this other school of evolutionary biology was none other than friend of the podcast, Peter Kopotkin. Who is this Russian prince. He's another rich white guy, let's be honest, and he renounces his royalty to declare war on Czarist Russia and all states. He dedicates his life to the twin goals of science and anarchism. He breaks out of the most impossible to break out of prison in Russia in the nineteenth century to circumnavigate the world the Foster revolution of let's take care of each other, like I watched some animals do while I was a biologist. And so he's the anti Spencer, the survival of the fittest guy, and he writes a book about it, and his book about it is called mutual Aid, A Factor and Revolution because he's also a very literal title guy. And this is where the phrase mutual aid in the modern context comes from. Is this book mutual aid? As far as I can tell, I don't believe this is this is absolutely not the origin of the idea of mutual aid. In fact, since k. Pawkin's a scientist, it's like he's like, no, I've observed this, this exists, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And then he got into all these like arguments about it at the time, but basically people like sort of forgot about all of these arguments. And it was all of the Russian scientists all, not just the leftists. We're like, no, no, no, it's cooperation, it's both, you know. But the sort of further West idea kind of won over for a long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so yeah, so, I mean, I I learned most of the biological side of this from now right wing lunatic Richard Dawkins's books, Oh yep, but his like books on you know, on genetics, Yeah, correct, Okay, it's his ideas of how to apply the to with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, which Darwin would have had a fucking fist fight with him over.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I think, I mean, look, this might be just me liking an older thing, but I would have thought that the older version of Richard Dalker or the younger version of Richard Dawkins would also feel the same way. But truly, what do I know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we we can wreckon it either way and just declare that young Richard Dawkins would absolutely fist fight would be the champion for Darwin in the fight to death.
Speaker 2: Maybe even if you say it out loud, that sounds crazy, all right.
Speaker 1: My idea about the younger Richard Dawkin fighting older Richard Dawkins doesn't sound a lot.
Speaker 2: No, no, just not the fighting part, the being a good person part.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, who knows, Well, that's that's kind of so that's like the phenomenon, right, They went to observe this phenomenon, and it's a phenomenon that food not bombs, and literally countless other individuals and organizations such as Solidarity and Snacks not Solidarity not Snacks, which was the precursor organization that was popular, has been using this phenomenon all over the world and it is a phenomenon that rules. And that is my story of food, ot bombs and mutual aid.
Speaker 2: That's oh my god, thank you for having me for this. It has been like lovely and educational, but also I think like it is this like double edge thing of like the history is interesting, but one of the important parts of the I think the rules you talked about last week is like the most important part is like you know, yeah, but also these people weren't gods that founded this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah totally.
Speaker 2: It's like they made mistakes and it's fine, but the basic bedrock is fine. Yeah, and usable and adjustable.
Speaker 1: Yeah totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, careful when you're serving that meat because it's a real pain in the ass the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: Andrew, do you have anything you'd like to plug at the end here for us?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well yeah, if you've enjoyed listening to me, Talk. I'm going to be on tour with a couple more dates, not really a tour, so a mini tour with my podcast He Knows This Racist I co hosted with Tawny Newsom. We're going to be in Austin on August twentieth and Brooklyn on September tenth, So possibly the single least profitable way to put together a tour, but it's fun and it's you know, just a nice chance to see everyone.
Speaker 3: Awesome. And Margaret, you have a book coming out, correct I do.
Speaker 1: It's called we Won't Be Here Tomorrow, And I didn't have a pun prepared about the fact that the title reference okay anyway, And you can get it from Akpress or you can get it from different independent bookstores and if you pre order it you get an art print and it comes out September twentieth, and it's full of all of my short stories about uh I know. There's like a trans woman who feeds men to she robs men and then feeds them to her mermaid lover and then it's like, you know, whole parable imagine that. And there's another one about someone who uses drones to troll CEOs into quitting and there's another one about the dead from Valhalla come back and fight in the civil War against Nazis because there's no Nazis in Valhalla. If you like that kind of thing, yeah, I know, it's kind of a it's a little bit of a yeah, you know, so you can you can buy that. And also you can listen to my podcasts. I have a podcast called Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff, which is on cool Zone Media and you can listen to it every Monday and Wednesday. I have another podcast called Live Like the World Is Dying and it is about individual and community preparedness and you can listen to it also on wherever you find podcasts. But Sophie's not on it, so it's not sad, y'all be sad about that for a moment, a moment of silence me. Where can people find you on the Internet?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 2: You can, you can.
Speaker 3: You can find me on Twitter and Instagram. You can just search my name, I pop up and then you can follow out cool Zone Media also on Twitter and Instagram.
Speaker 1: And if you look on the Internet archive, you can find Sophie Lichtterman's MySpace page.
Speaker 3: Please don't put please do but please don't please don't there.
Speaker 2: It's really it's really not not it.
Speaker 1: Baby.
Speaker 2: You can find my profile.
Speaker 1: And my space.
Speaker 3: Don't find mine.
Speaker 1: I'm not even going to tell you the name of the band I was in in two thousand and five thousand my space. It's terrible.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So everyone get research it. You have a vague sense of your assignment. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And we'll be back on Monday with another story of of a poopil did cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yea, bye bye.
Speaker 3: All People who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.