Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: I was just smoke saying, man, is it delicious?
Speaker 3: It is, except my toast is like underdone because I was rushing because I realized I was late for y'all.
Speaker 4: So it's not as crunchy as I wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Journey, you were friends. Now you can actually just walk to the stove and.
Speaker 3: Start cooking or just thanks, my.
Speaker 1: First guest to start cooking at dinner. Wow on the show. Anyway, let me let me do this, all right, I gotta make up an intro because it would be disrespectful.
Speaker 4: Wait, you don't have an intro prepared for me? I'm here? Wow?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, all right, here we got podcasting.
Speaker 1: All right, Ladies and gentlemen. Our guest today has the distinct honor of being, okay, I around it off fourteen years my junior. Yet I think she is clocked in more years inner profession than mine, which basically means that she's literally been acting since she came out the womb. I think her first gig was when she was ten months old, so that should put in perspective. Anyway, full disclosure, we are close friends. So this is my preface way of saying that I'm a lazy show host and introducer, but I'm also a fan. So you know, it's important to note that Journey Smollett is not anyone's overnight success. She has the receipts to prove it. I'm gonna go off the top of my favorites. Of course, there's full House on her own, hanging with mister Cooper Cosby, the CBS version, Oh Movies, gotch Eves by Your night Lights, Friday Night Lights, World Bounce, The Great Debaters, True Blood, Parenthood, Birds of Prey, let me cut to the damn chase. It's as Letty lewis I pray at your last name on the show. Yes, I believe it's Letty. Letty lewis an instant African. I won't say I don't know to call this afrofuturist or an American horror classic story. So I will say that this is an instant American horror, African futurist classic Lovecraft country that our guest has somehow managed to turn, somehow ironically into a breakout role while having a thirty year career under her belt. How's that for winging? Is she watching me?
Speaker 4: Sweat.
Speaker 1: Right now, Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome actress, singer, activist, mother, baseball bat swinger Flavor flav Understudy, and midnight chef Journey's Wallet for the second time to Quest Love Supreme. Anyway, how are you doing, journal? I know you'd rather be doing anything but the groundwork of of doing interviews, So I'll try to make this as painless as possible. Hi, how's your day to day? I'm just gonna it's gonna be recklessly How was your day to day?
Speaker 4: I mean it was okay.
Speaker 3: I've been sitting here all day long doing interviews and zooms and things of that nature, so you know, happy to do more.
Speaker 1: You're still You're still.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have fun.
Speaker 4: We have fun. Okay, good, I get it.
Speaker 2: Journal.
Speaker 1: I understand that if.
Speaker 4: I'm happy to thank you for that introduction.
Speaker 1: I'm like, wow, dude, that that was freaking off the time. I was scared because I know I missed something that you were in.
Speaker 4: I don't remember what was it.
Speaker 1: No, was like I won't mention temptation with Kim, but I forgot you did that too, the music video. No, she was in Temptation Tyler Perry. Yes, yes, yes, I forgot. I knew I forgot something. There's probably forty two other things that I've missed as well. Anyway, so you've been sort of on the grind reintroducing yourself to twelve.
Speaker 3: Time, right right right? You know my grind. One thing people don't know about. First of all, Amir and I have known each other for so long. We met, you came to We didn't meet here, although you were here. You were at the Gridiron Gang premiere. You told me, do you remember.
Speaker 1: That you indeed, I forgot to mention grid Iron? Yes, I was there.
Speaker 3: You were at the premiere of that, and then you reached out to me on my Space.
Speaker 1: I remember very well. Wow, you asked me still exist?
Speaker 2: Now, Tom, No, are you sure the Facebook?
Speaker 4: Facebook still exists?
Speaker 1: It should it shouldn't right exactly. I'm actually checking to see this is my space? Is my account still good? Because name I think it's quite I don't know, I don't like Justin Timberlake purchased it. So yeah, it's still my Space still exists, ladies.
Speaker 3: I still have some of like your old pictures on it, but not all of it because I go, wow, how do.
Speaker 1: I even find ship? I gotta see friendster is still up. I'm sorry anyway, go ahead, dude.
Speaker 4: We still have our Space accounts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you still.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you can log in, but you can still see, like if you have some pictures.
Speaker 3: I know I can, it's an audio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my Space is still think. Yes, we are all going on my Space.
Speaker 3: I don't know you're ready to get you know where I met. I mean we've been telling talking about Lovecraft.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, and I've been like, I'm such a fan of the show. I think I've been waking you up out your sleep to ask you questions about the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much, I do get. I'm glad like one in the morning where you're like Ni.
Speaker 1: Gro yo, that's compliment and and that's her cleaning up the word. Yes, if we're going to hit it.
Speaker 3: A little, can I just ask Journey yo. I'm just glad to see you and Misha Green back together because The Underground was like, my shit, it was my.
Speaker 4: Show too, man, I mean, I'm.
Speaker 3: It's what's so funny about Misha and and my relationship with her is how we started off like we started off hated each other. I couldn't stand the help I could not stand her when I saw the pilot of Underground. I remember calling my people being like, what did I sign up for?
Speaker 4: And how do I get out of this? She's experience. Well, here's the thing she and I.
Speaker 3: You know, initially she she one of the first things she had said to me was she grabbed my hands.
Speaker 4: She said, we're going to.
Speaker 2: Be best friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, usually, And so as we started doing the pilot, we just kept butting heads and became a running joke on set that, oh, if Journey's in the scene, good luck starting on time, Journey and Mishi're going to be arguing for twenty minutes prior.
Speaker 1: To the scene Thanksgiving. Wait are you loud? Wait now I'm playing? Are you allowed to argue with your director?
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing she was.
Speaker 3: It was the first time I was like the lead of a show, and it was the first time she was a showrunner of a show.
Speaker 4: So we there was a lot of pressure on us, right, and.
Speaker 3: I wanted, you know, I come with all my research and my opinions about a cat. They're like, look, you hired me to do a job, right, so let me do my fucking job. And then here she comes being like yes, but this is what my vision is. Blah blah blah, and that's normal for people. But we just had to figure out how to collaborate. We had to figure out each other's love languages, because there was a lot of just debating and arguing and not seeing eye to eye with things. And then you know, once we got over that. It was really the whipping scene in the pilot of Underground, in which we argued to I mean over talked it and I kept saying, look, it's not on the page, it's not here.
Speaker 4: What you want me to do?
Speaker 3: I don't know how to make that sit in my body in a truthful way. So and everything I would try, we rehearsed it, and I would try things in my body and she would just be like, no, that ain't it, No, that ain't it. And I'm like, who is this headful? Like you gotta let me try, you know. And so finally, on the day of shooting, I told our director Anthony everywhere, I said, I don't want.
Speaker 4: To discuss it.
Speaker 3: Don't talk to me about this scene. I'm gonna go out there and do it. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna do it. I said, the only thing is, please don't let me hear this out on the web, because at this point I've got nothing else to hold on to to get an actual response out of me, you know.
Speaker 4: And then I looked up and we're sitting on this plantation.
Speaker 3: It was a real plantation in Louisiana, and I saw this oak tree, and this tree had been there for over two hundred probably two to three hundred years, and I thought of Billie Holliday's strange fruit, and I thought of all the strange fruit that had probably hung from that tree. And I just prayed to the ancestors and went out and did the scene.
Speaker 4: And Anthony didn't cut.
Speaker 3: He just kept doing take after take, angle after angle without cutting.
Speaker 4: And afterwards I couldn't stop crying.
Speaker 3: I was crying for like a good ten minutes, and Nisha and Aldis and Anthony just held me, and it was an interesting breakthrough for me. Sha and I of like, Okay, we just have to trust the process, and we just have to trust the material, and we have to trust each other because when it comes time, the work will be there.
Speaker 1: When when high intensity scenes have to be shot, be it murder or the awkwardness of a love scene or screaming or shouting or rage your iconic baseball bet scene. How much preparation or time do you need to go to a convincing dark place or is it like you show up at set of five in the morning.
Speaker 3: And go, oh, no, I'm not that person that I would never I it just I'd have nothing to pull from my.
Speaker 4: Well would be empty. I've done it and it just don't work out. So I spend a lot of time doing re.
Speaker 1: Search, okay. Robin Williams once shared a story about when shooting with de Niro, Robin Williams and De Niro Awakenings, Awakenings. There's a scene where Robin Williams and de Niro had to like come outside of the hospital and they were shooting a location in the Bronx. And you know, since the beginning of the film, de Niro was in method acting mode and stayed that character the entire duration of the film, even when he went home. And because they were on location in the Bronx and there were like people on stamp by watching this one spectator I think like distracted de Niro so much that they had to shut production down. Like there was like an old drunk black guy, and he was trying to get his attention all day. Hey Bobby D, Bobby D. And then he was like, hey Bobby D, you still love sucking on that black pussy, And like Robert Williams like they try to ignore it. And then Robert Williams looked at de Niro and then they started dying, like they was laughing on the floor, cracking up. And then de Niro couldn't get back into his character. They had just shut down. Oh and like let him reset and come back the next day to do that that scene. So I always wondered, like in terms of of channeling that, like how hard is it to how long do you need to get into that?
Speaker 4: For one, that's a movie with budget they shut down because someone gets out of character. Cool, that's like us. I've never experienced that, you know.
Speaker 3: It's it's interesting that you talk about that, because half of the battle is fighting off the distractions.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Set is such a it's such a circus, you know, and all the preparation you do, whether you get months or weeks or however amount of time you get leading up to you know, go time, when you get on set, it's a whole different beasts. That's a different muscle that you have to be able to express. It's almost like a meditation, you know, it's a part of your brain you got to go into where you are able to just focus in on the intention in the character and the truth that you're supposed to communicate.
Speaker 4: It's quite challenging in scenes like that, but.
Speaker 3: It's just different methods I've always I've used or I've picked up you know, that just kind of helped me in my process get there. And there's no like one quick fix with it. It's like every project demands something different. It demands a different level of physicality, a different level of research, a different approach. There's not like a menu or manual for any project I find, like, you know, it might be music, it might be.
Speaker 4: Being in the library for hours, it might you know, it's is.
Speaker 1: It a trial by a fire though? Or have you had moments where you know, I mean, I'll say that at least in your choices of what you choose to do, there's always you know, a maverick there or you know, I don't know, if Denzel is a person that pulls you to the side and says, you know, I want you to tweet this a little bit and whatever, like is that even allowed, or if it's like low budgets, like we only got room for two takes and be out.
Speaker 4: Or oh no, no no.
Speaker 3: I mean the goal is for sure to have those people around you, you know, I for sure have that anisia where.
Speaker 4: She will tell me it's not there. Let's let's you know, we're gonna go again. But you build up the trust with your collaborators, with your other actors. The hardest thing is working with people you don't trust.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have to work so much harder to protect the performance and protect the process when you feel like, oh, this director don't know what the hell he or she's doing right now, Like you know, that to me is so terrifying because there's just a level there's more work you gotta do.
Speaker 4: You gotta work so much harder.
Speaker 3: When when I did great debaters with d is just like I mean, for one of like digging a massive class. But I know we're not moving on until we got it right. So we might take a penalty with lunch, we might have to whatever what you know, hell or high water, we're gonna get this rights.
Speaker 1: Wow, I did not know that, oh absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean no, no, But here's the thing. I mean, it's smart directors and smart showrunners know when to pick and choose that stuff, you know, like this is this is a scene. We gotta get this. And there have been times even on Lovecraft, there were moments, you know. For instance, with the exorcism scene, I had to go up to the director and I had to say to him. I was like, you know, me and Jonathan we're in it and everything's being kind of shot except us, you know, and is this when you're talking about that scene? Yeah, in episode three when we're in the basement, and it was it was one of those moments.
Speaker 4: Where as an actor you got to protect the performance.
Speaker 3: And so I went up to the director and I said, listen, Miuell, me and Jonathan. I mean, like, we're giving it all, and I don't you know, well you're going to get to a point where there's nothing left to give, you know. It was it was a scene we shot over the process of three days, you know, and so there's all these elements.
Speaker 4: They're blowing these wind.
Speaker 3: Fans, there's cgi and so there was so much going on, and so the director had a lot on his plate to kind of capture everything. But at the essence, there is no scene if you don't have this performance right. And so sometimes you gotta do that. You gotta like pull a doctor's tail. And I thought you were going to say they called the actors, so that can maybe help a little bit, like instead of it just being.
Speaker 4: They call those No.
Speaker 3: No, what I'm saying is in shooting this big, this big sequence that took three days to shoot, you know it took It was a moment where I realized, oh, we're we're doing the why we're behind us, we're doing we're shooting stuff line instead of shooting.
Speaker 4: Us right, you know.
Speaker 3: Like so sometimes that happens where it's just a big production and you gotta ask for what you need, you know. And that's part of protecting the process too.
Speaker 4: Fyi Journey.
Speaker 3: That was the first scene in Lovecraft that brought tears to my eyes, Like that scene when you break into tears and you know you're telling him to leave and everything it was and I was curious. I was like, you've played a you have played a lot of roles that now we know we have labels for them, trauma, trauma and triggers. And I was just curious, like, out of all the roles, which was the one that you really took home and you had to like shake it off, like it's just you know, the more the more projects I take going, the more I want the ones that cost me something, you know, I want. I'm hungry for the roles that make me have to sacrifice, make me have to lay it all the alter. You know, for sure, love Craft Country.
Speaker 4: Is highly up there with having to make the sacrifice. You know. It costs me so much mentally, physically, emotionally.
Speaker 3: And let me tell y'all, you've only seen five episodes the audience.
Speaker 1: How many more are in the season.
Speaker 4: There's five more.
Speaker 3: There's a total of ten episodes, and where I know it goes. It's like, but that's the thing that is so incredible. As an artist, you know, you're hung are hungry for things that challenge you. And Miisha Green, you signed on to a project with her, her house is going to challenge you.
Speaker 4: You know, she's going to demand that you stretch.
Speaker 1: How were you able to tell the depth of what this was because you know, the pilot alone, I wasn't familiar with the book. I wasn't familiar with the project at all. I knew that you were doing it, I knew Michael was doing so I was like, all right, I'm a board, let's go. And as with a lot of us, you know, thought okay, this is going to be a civil rights period piece, and then it just went to a whole nother place, even though in the beginning it was there. But in my mind, I was already crafting like Okay, well he's probably an author that dreams of these space things and whatever. And so when I realized, oh, what I'm about to get into and what I'm trapped into, Like how's this conveade? Like are you reading all ten episodes in the script before you make the decision that I'm aboard? Like when did you have your first oh shit moment? Or did they kind of prep you ahead of time that this this is what it was?
Speaker 3: Well, so Underground season two had just been canceled and they were trying to find a home for season three, but it.
Speaker 4: Didn't look promising. And I mean I.
Speaker 3: Was getting a lot of offers, and this is the first time in my career where this was happening.
Speaker 4: Where you know, there were a lot.
Speaker 3: Of offers we were fielding from some of the best showrunners and creators in the in the game, and I kept kind of fielding it with Risha, you know, she was my like fifth invisible agent.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, you know, what, what do you think about this one? No Journey, it's trash, she can't do it. Okay, well this one, I mean, it's the showrunner. He's an emmya you know.
Speaker 3: And so then she sent me the pilot of Lovecraft. And I was aware of her working on it, but when she she sent it to me, maybe like a week or so after she had finished it, and I mean instantly, just the way it opens it made me miss her writing. It's so bold and audacious, right, And I was like, wait, what the hell is she doing now? And then when the character Letty came on, when I tell you, I had this visceral reaction of like, oh fuck, no.
Speaker 4: Can't nobody else play Letty but me? And what the hell is Mesh doing? Why is she not talking to me about me being Letty?
Speaker 3: Did she not know that I am the only one that could play We have to audition for this. I didn't have to audition, but five months passed for me reading the script, and I hadn't gotten an offer, you know, they hadn't offered it to anyone else, just kind of now building the world out and making certain hires that brought on a director, et cetera. For still, she wasn't talking to me about it, and as close as we are, it just felt strange. And knowing Misha, she's the person where it's like, you can't campaign for a project with Misha.
Speaker 4: You know, she's only going.
Speaker 3: To give a role to somebody if that's who she wants to cast.
Speaker 4: And so I was in Bad Robot.
Speaker 3: I was at Bad Robot and jj Abram says to me, he's like, hey, did you read the Lovecraft Country's Cook?
Speaker 4: And I was like, yeah, you know, it's incredible, and he's like, you should do it. And I'm like, y'all, I think I should do it too. Misha hasn't mentioned it to me, you know, what the hell you doing?
Speaker 3: And he just, you know, I start panicking and he's like, you should do it, very calmly, he says. I'm like, dude, you don't have to convince me that I need to do this, you know. And so Misha calls me a few weeks later and she just says, you know, we just hired this director, Yan DeMange.
Speaker 4: He's dope. I want you to go meet him. Bye.
Speaker 1: So wait, with something of this deep of an undertaking with ten episodes, is it the same director for all ten episodes?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, So how explain to me how that works because it seems very consistent. And is it the director walking in as the fish out out of water, to the same cinematographer, to the same lighting director, to the same like is everyone else consistent or is it a new crew every time a new episode shot?
Speaker 4: Well, for the.
Speaker 3: Ten episodes, the pilot was its own individual crew, right, So yeah, and Nisha and the producers were the pilot built a crew that shot we shot in Chicago. But for the season, really the consistency is provided by the showrunner, Misha Green, you know who.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: She wrote most of the episode, she directs one of one of the episodes, but as a showrunner, it's her job to maintain that consistency. Also, the crew does stay stay the entire time. So we had we had two dp's who switched off, but still they maintained the same look and feel of the show, same prop master, you know, all the department heads stay the same.
Speaker 4: But in TV, we yeah, we get a new director every week.
Speaker 1: Because I always wondered how how that works. Where Okay, if if Marty Scorsese decides to direct an episode, obviously he's going to use film with Schumacher as his as his editor and use his particular style of shooting. And if episode six is you know, Ernest Dickerson and he does his little tricks in the one camera thing and whatever, vim that's inconsistent, Like, is it basically agreed upon that when directors come to do a series that they're coming just to bring the showrunner's vision to life as supposed to put their stamp on it or their trademark.
Speaker 4: W I think it depends show by show, you know.
Speaker 3: With this for sure, you know, and just watching the way Mesha works, she wants the director to come in and bring something fresh and exciting and new, and yet the show, the feel, the vibe, some of it's gotta be maintained, you know.
Speaker 4: And then we as the actors, we know our characters.
Speaker 3: So you're not coming in and telling me who Leeddy Lewis is, Like I know who she is. You can come in and tell me, well, how do we make this more truthful or how do we dig deeper? Blah blah blah. But I know who she is, you know. So I've noticed that can be a challenge for some directors and TV because it's different in film film, you know.
Speaker 4: As an a tour, they.
Speaker 3: It's shutting close, you know, like they're not really having to take on the vision of the showrunner. And some directors in TV excel in that, and some I've seen them fall flat on their face because their ego is so big that you know, they don't really want to collaborate.
Speaker 1: You mean, when movie directors come to TV land, or when big names come to TV.
Speaker 4: Land, or I mean, it doesn't even have to be big names. I've seen, folks.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie, Like even with with Nisha, I've seen, you know, on Underground.
Speaker 4: I remember there was this one director.
Speaker 3: The entire cast he will I won't name them, the entire cast hated this man on Underground and he just he was that like work for hire, legendary director who directed everything from you know, all the NBC, CBS type shows.
Speaker 4: You can't yeah, yeah, yeah, he done it all and this was just another gig for him. And so he didn't really care to make this heights.
Speaker 3: He didn't care to have like the nuance and the urgency, And so we ate him alive because you could tell it was just like he wasn't he wasn't trying to collaborate. He wasn't he wasn't really interested.
Speaker 4: It was a paycheck for him.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you, I'm just so curious what it's like working with Jonathan, who seems like he's about to be the next like just amazing. And Michael Keith Williams, because I know what I know. I mean, Michael, yes, I'm sorry, but tell me about the magic?
Speaker 4: What is that? Like? It's incredible.
Speaker 3: I mean pinched myself sometimes truly, you know, like again, we just trusted each other so much.
Speaker 4: We all had like these rituals that Courtney started on the pilot and Courtney, yes, excuse me, no, look the entire cat I mean, I mean everybody, everybody.
Speaker 3: Woomy, yeah, I mean everyone kills it. But yeah, we had this this me, Jonathan and Michael inherited the tradition that Courtney started where we would give each other fist bump before each take.
Speaker 4: I mean, like it was a religion.
Speaker 3: The approach was so sacred for us. You I don't care where we were starting from. I could be entering on the other side of the field before that take was going to start. We had to meet up in fistbunk each other. If we didn't do it, we'd be like, yo, that takes up because we didn't. We didn't where's the fistball? But no, I mean working with them was just incredible because you're only as good as your partner, you know, when you can look into their eyes and you can see truth and you never know, I mean, we never knew what take, you know, what what the next take was going to be like, because every take was fresh and exciting and present and honest, challenging each other.
Speaker 4: How far can we dig deeper?
Speaker 3: I mean the moments me and Jonathan just on on on on the sound stage, just going at it, just rehearsing, you know, lines going back and forth over and over.
Speaker 1: You know, how how could you explain what the processes from the table read too? We have the take because I'm I don't know if I've ever seen a movie in which, uh like, I'm trying to parallel to musicianship m are are the is the timing based at the table read, And is the table read like a four times overthing or is it just like whoever's in the scene, we have an hour before we've done, let's go.
Speaker 2: It's like when you're going to when you go into an electric Lady for like a year and just make grooves and stuff.
Speaker 1: I wrote the entire album on the spot.
Speaker 2: Two years later, you know, Tarik comes in and puts his thing on and then that's it's like that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, because I don't I look for other nuances that I don't think the average person looks for when I'm watching, and I guess as a musicianship, I'm seeing you guys as instruments trying to figure out the the yin and yang balance of timing and the pacing of a conversation. And you know, like for Insan, if you watch Woody Allen films, he's world famous for wanting his actors to talk on top of each other because he's like, everyone talks on top of each other in New York City. So I want to make that real. But can you walk us through like what from script till we got it? Like how how much preparation is put in for the rehearsals?
Speaker 4: Again, it varies project to project. I just speak about Lovecraft.
Speaker 3: I mean with the pilot we had, we had very little rehearsal. A lot of the prep was about diving into the inner struggle, the inner workings of the character, right, you know. But the table read, you know, a lot people approach the table read differently, but this one I remember they actually filmed the table read, which was a first for me because JJ was shooting Star Wars in London and couldn't make the table read, so they filmed it so he could watch it. But you know, everybody, you know, some actors at the table reads they just kind of phone it in, and then some actors go full in. So honestly, the piece, like you said, it's very much so like a symphony, and it's not really formed until you get in it, you know, but every step along the way helps inform it.
Speaker 4: And so whether it's rehearsals, or whether it's.
Speaker 3: Even costume designers and hair stylists and makeup artists or you know, every everybody kind of adds a level of a layer too to the project that you don't that you feel and you may not see it. And so when you talk about pacing, and rhythm and stuff like that. You know, a lot of that's just informed on the day. It's informed through instinct, it's informed response. You know, I hear you, I respond, I listen, I respond. It's just like this conversation, haven't you know?
Speaker 1: I hear your journey?
Speaker 5: I was, I was on that, I was on the tonight show.
Speaker 3: It. I still I still have you saved on my phone as Steve, where's my coffee? Damn?
Speaker 1: Or that just sounds like Steve friends with each other?
Speaker 4: Yes, where's my coffee? Journey?
Speaker 3: Was it easier to do something like Lovecraft coming off of Birds of Prey since it's a little lighter?
Speaker 1: Love Craft is lighter?
Speaker 3: I mean, no, I'm saying, since I meant to say, since Birds of Prey was so light, is it easier to go into love Craft instead of coming from heavy to heavy?
Speaker 4: There's nothing there's no nothing easy about any of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, not easy in your spirit and your you know, because you just I.
Speaker 4: Mean, look, I don't seek ease. Is the Internet of progress?
Speaker 1: I don't need Okay, Well let's go back to the goddam beginning, all right there? Uh No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, look, birds of Prey was definitely different because look, I had to train for five months to a martial artist, you know, so it's it's.
Speaker 4: It definitely required different muscles than love Craft.
Speaker 3: Country and like the whole comic book world is its own beast and and I tried to approach that with the same amount of reference that I would approach the text of Lovecraft, you know, But the approaches each project is going to require different things, you know. I shot the pilot for Lovecraft, then went and trained for Birds of Prey, shot Birds of Prey, and then went back and shot, you know, the remaining season of love Crowd. It's funny because Misha afterwards was like, so these.
Speaker 4: Arms they gotta go. Damn, these black canary arms you got, like got a state.
Speaker 3: Your character is really important her. I mean, you look great. I don't know the politically correct way to say this with a bunch of fellas in the room, but on love Craft, the tailor, the way things are fitting you, I just have never seen your It looks amazing er.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: We worked hard at that, you know, the the.
Speaker 4: Tailoring and costumes and things, the darts, you know, the dark look. It's true.
Speaker 3: We looked at we looked at thousands of images of costumes from this time, from this era, and the just.
Speaker 4: The integrity that they had in the clothing. I mean, look, you know, I'm in.
Speaker 3: T shirt and sweats right now, like by nature, I'm not letty, you know, but for that to get the era right.
Speaker 4: And to do it justice, Hey, the tailoring is a big part.
Speaker 1: It really was amazing. All right, let's get the Denise Fraser questions out the way, because.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite what's the toughest question you were asked today?
Speaker 1: Okay, just so that just so that we can uh to go on. Whether you indeed have history. Yeah, it's known that you've been acting from the womb in the very beginning. Though, it just hit me that I remember, like I remember your face everywhere, like you there's a gazillion things that you've done as a youngster in which I remember your face. I mean, you know, I'm sure you've done Martin before you've done like I've remember certain things. Was there ever talk about developing you your own show? Like how did you avoid the well, I guess what I would call the Disney trap, because I think Disney was handing out shows like hotcakes between the mid nineties and two thousand and five, like you could have easily been in that, you could have been that's so ravenized, you know what I mean, right, or that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: How uh, what's crazy is Disney has built some careers clear you know. I mean there's a lot of actors and entertainers I respect that have come from Disney and so but my mother, my mom was I say this with as much respect as I can you know about another.
Speaker 2: But she was like, that's always a cattle man, like so house snobby was she?
Speaker 3: Journey? How snobby was she?
Speaker 4: She know?
Speaker 3: I was offered to do like my own Disney show several times and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: She just wouldn't let me do it. She wouldn't let me do it.
Speaker 3: My agent at the time, I thought she was crazy because I could have made so much money and.
Speaker 4: We were broke y'all, Like growing up we were so.
Speaker 3: Poor at moments, like my brother talking about how do you remember that time when we had like nothing but like a wilted carrot and an apple and refrigerator like we were there is seven hundred of us, and you know, everybody get.
Speaker 4: Some lental beans, I mean some beans and rice tell.
Speaker 1: Us about the hard times journey.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, we my family growing up, My mom didn't she really didn't care about money, and so especially after my parents divorced, we really struggled, you know, and there were moments where it was just like, oh, and.
Speaker 4: My mom wouldn't let she wouldn't let me do it.
Speaker 3: There were so many things, but my mother is very proud of the fact that she would.
Speaker 4: She would say all the time, I can go and sell pussy on the corner.
Speaker 3: I don't need to make money, you know, I don't need to my kids. You know, I can make money if I really need to. And she never she never, she never did it, just so y'all know. But her point was that embellishment. Yes, her point was that our art was not to be bought and sold by the highest bidder, you know, and she just had this level of integrity. But she was also the woman that, you know, was making me read Katherin Hepburn's by autobiography when I was thirteen. So how did you end up in Full House?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: Well, I guess what made her convince her to do Full House? Full House?
Speaker 4: I mean, well that was before I was offered any sort of Didney show. But you know that was I don't know. You got to ask her.
Speaker 6: It was it was like an audition that the character. The character was written as a little white girl, and the casting director called my agent and said.
Speaker 3: You know, whether or not i'd be willing to my mom would let me come in or something like that.
Speaker 4: I'm not entirely show, y'all.
Speaker 2: I was four.
Speaker 3: I know, I understand, but I just need to talk to you.
Speaker 1: But also I thought, weren't there rules that uh as far as acting hours? Like most of those actors that I know back then were like I know the Sprouse as well, Cole and Dylan, like usually they come in Paris. Even Michelle Tanner's one person played by Mary Kate. Why were you off the role and not using a body double? Or you're a sibling.
Speaker 3: Joeys Sweeten, they had no body double.
Speaker 4: I mean again, y'all are asking you don't remember?
Speaker 3: She said?
Speaker 2: She was so.
Speaker 3: By you. Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: I figured I figured you asked in time here.
Speaker 4: I remember. I do remember doing full House.
Speaker 3: I remember the feeling of the live studio audience and in between takes they would play music and I would like dance for the audience and they would go crazy.
Speaker 4: But I remember, I remember.
Speaker 1: That little Richard was your grandfather.
Speaker 3: I remember little Richard was Little Richard was my uncle and the whole thing in my household because my mom and dad were like big music heads.
Speaker 4: It was the coolest thing that I was working with him.
Speaker 3: And you know, so I remember things like that, the power of you know, the power you could have over an audience and to get a reaction out of them, the feeling of them laughing at something you would do the best.
Speaker 4: You know. It was a little like theater in in a sense. You know, for my four or five six year old self, what.
Speaker 1: Do you consider your first real like get into it? Would that be eased by you?
Speaker 4: I would consider it used by you? That I mean before that, Jack was.
Speaker 3: I do remember being at Francis word Cochola's branch, his his vineyard, and I mean Robins Williams teaching me how to improv, you know, because those scenes that we did together, those were all improv That's all he did.
Speaker 4: You know, he's the king of that.
Speaker 3: And he just would he kept telling me about just don't think, you know, just say the first thing that comes off the top of your head.
Speaker 4: What do you notice about me? Like he would do all these exercises with me.
Speaker 3: But Eve's Value, for sure, was the first time that I felt like, oh, I want.
Speaker 4: To do this. Prior to that, it was it was like kids.
Speaker 3: You know how kids played baseball for Little League or something like that. You know, it was a hobby, it wasn't a passion. And then with eaves Value, it's interesting I learned. I just learned a deeper appreciation for the craft of it.
Speaker 1: You know, at the time, at well, you were what ten to eleven for eves By.
Speaker 4: We started three days after I turned ten.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I mean at that time, were you still in your formative years Like, okay, well I'm doing this now, but I really want to be like what did you want to be when you were older as a groun? Like did you want to be an actress?
Speaker 3: Or was it I mean throughout my like adolescence it kind of I loved doing it eves By you, Like I said, it was the first time that I fell in love with it. I got that high, that stimulation that you get from losing yourself in a character. I started understanding from Sam and Casey, you know, different tricks and things.
Speaker 4: That you do and approaching the craft. But I have to say, even throughout, like my teenage years.
Speaker 3: And my adolescence, there were moments that I thought, I want to quit. I don't want to do this because the industry was just and is. It can suck the life out of you. You know, it can make you if you don't let it. It can It can.
Speaker 4: Bring out the worst qualities in yourself and in other people. And I became a little jaded. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: And I thought, probably around the time I was like nineteen or twenty, I thought, I'm gonna go and work in like the philanthropic world or be an accountant because I loved math. And then I went on a trip with you know, I was you know, Amir, I was doing like working with artists for New South Africa.
Speaker 4: I had you come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were an activist at the age of three. We get to that part of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so my trip to South Africa with artists for New South Africa, the delegation of artists like with Sam Sam Jackson and his wife Latanya and Debra Santana, Carlos Santana, Alfred Woodard and a bunch of other artists paid for me to come with them to South Africa and that trip changed my life.
Speaker 4: And when I was over there, I just watched how powerful art can be.
Speaker 3: Know that we were able to build wells and we were able to I just watch the impact that these artists and their work had.
Speaker 4: Across seas, you know, overseas.
Speaker 3: And just felt kind of convicted in the sense like, well, if I have a gift, if I have been given.
Speaker 4: This gift, how dare I not use it?
Speaker 3: Because I could actually have a greater impact when people if I use it.
Speaker 1: In my head, you're activists first and then you act on the side.
Speaker 3: That's because you know me from the like, Yo, we're gonna stop for Obama.
Speaker 4: We're on phone bank and knock.
Speaker 1: On doors, and yeah, I will say.
Speaker 4: With me like you you always, I.
Speaker 1: Will say that, yeah, Journ Before I knew Journey, I mean, I thought political activism and that sort of work was you know, was just were performative HOTEP actors and and Neil Young and sting for the you know, for Walden Woods. No, I mean, you know, at the time, it was just like besides voting.
Speaker 3: From the message of the music town clean up, the ghetto town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yo, but no one spoke my language, and you know, somehow, being in a small household, I was like, Oh, they've been doing this shit since there was two Like your first protest was when LA was burning, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the first protests I remember. Yeah, it was like five.
Speaker 3: In the nineteen ninety two uprising that I clearly remember my mom having us on the street corner. We had all made signs about Rodney King.
Speaker 4: It was right after the.
Speaker 3: The cops who viciously beat him were quitted and they were like all the uprisings happening, and she had us right out there, you know.
Speaker 4: But my mother, you know, my mother and my father met uh in the movement working with Angela Davis in Oakland. You know, I was working with Angela Davis.
Speaker 3: That's dope. My mother and my father and my father, I know, but I'm just thinking, that's Dopeica.
Speaker 2: Did you a journey meet?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You mean after my I guess I think we first met at the roots uh jam session?
Speaker 4: You asked me to host it?
Speaker 1: I did. Was this the Chappelle one or the year.
Speaker 2: Before l A the l A one?
Speaker 4: It was? It was the it was l A one. It was like the second year y'all had done it. I think.
Speaker 2: I didn't. They didn't let me in, but I was there the.
Speaker 3: Line you had to get to the roots jam at like when the door was open, it.
Speaker 2: Was I would have crammed me that night and then I couldn't get into the party.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, there's been a lot of gray root is real like this. This was way before in the heights. This was this was like two thousand and five. I think, Okay, tucked.
Speaker 4: Up a journey.
Speaker 3: How are you maneuvering now? I know you guys are a big activist family, So man, how are you maneuvering in the midst of the clusterfuck of twenty twenty? And how are you maneuvering towards the election when it comes to your activism? No, I mean it's like you got to attack it from so many ways, you know, For one, this clusterfuck of twenty twenty, I don't I mean, I don't understand it. You know.
Speaker 1: Now that your mother is it harder for you to to pound the pavement more.
Speaker 4: What's interesting?
Speaker 3: So COVID it was quite sobering because there was a point in which we were quarantined and the curfewed.
Speaker 4: And it was it was when I tell you, it brought a rage out inside of me.
Speaker 3: I hadn't been curfewed since nineteen ninety two with the uprising then, you know, here in La with my family, and so now to be a mom same city and curfewed again.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The first time I stepped outside the house after, you know, during this whole quarantine process, was to go to a meeting in a church basement for BLM and doctor Malina Abdullah and.
Speaker 4: Janea the Future.
Speaker 3: And Kendrick and you know, all of the folks who are doing such incredible work on the ground were there. And honestly, it was a selfish thing for me to go because I needed to feel.
Speaker 4: That I could do something with this rage.
Speaker 3: I needed to channel it in some way, and even if it was just showing up and I don't really know what I'm contributing, but I'm gonna show up, right, you know. That's actually why I'm asking you, because I feel the same way, like I need to do something, so I'm just and so I find myself reaching out to like Patrees or or folks just being like, all right, where are we going now? Because I just need to you know, every Wednesday here in La BLM organizers in front of Jackie Lacy's office.
Speaker 4: She's got to go, that woman has got to go, right. And I one of the times when I went, I didn't do anything. I just witnessed.
Speaker 3: And there were so many families who were there and got up and spoke, you know, families of lost ones, you know, families of folks who have been taken from us by the hands of the LAPD or some sort of police force, right and just to bear witness.
Speaker 4: You know, just to give someone a hug. You know, for me, it was honestly food for my soul to be there.
Speaker 3: And anytime I've gone to neither protests or something like that, I feel like I'm being fed by being a part of it, you know.
Speaker 4: But what we're most of the stuff that we're able to do now is through zoom.
Speaker 3: Or on email, organizing letters that we're trying to write, putting pressure on the police, unions or you know, whatever approach. We take a lot of it.
Speaker 4: It's from a distance that organizing is happening. But navigating it.
Speaker 3: As a mom, I mean, you know, it's different because, for instance, my mother would have had me out there, right, And yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: If it wasn't for COVID, I'd have my sons at these protests with me.
Speaker 3: You know, I've gone with like my brothers and stuff, but I haven't taken Hunter just because it's freaking COVID.
Speaker 4: And it just felt like, Okay, I just I put myself at risk, but I'm gonna keep him here, you know. But I yeah, man, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's definitely navigating everything in life right now is extra challenging being a mom.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie. Co Parenting is a whole new thing that wasn't a part of the plan.
Speaker 2: You have to journey, right, you want to you want to go down co parenting all great, all day yo. I could go deepunt co parenting, no ship, but.
Speaker 1: People take care of you.
Speaker 3: Ain't a co parent?
Speaker 1: You ain't. You ain't a co parent nothing because the co parent.
Speaker 2: Steve he was up today show.
Speaker 1: Steve show.
Speaker 2: In times of COVID, And you don't know what the fuck to like remote learn your kid or not remote learn your kid or send your kid to the.
Speaker 4: Things journey it's your well, I mean, Hunters and.
Speaker 5: You have to wait, wait, how is he now, Amy, You're supposed to be home homes learning me, home.
Speaker 1: School, yeah, Journey, have my home school teacher, like I'm supposed to be learning you. That's what we say us supposed to.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 4: He's three, but right, yeah, he's so bright. But he is learning how.
Speaker 3: To read, he's learning early mathematics, and I mean he's still he's.
Speaker 4: I think he's going to be quite advanced.
Speaker 1: So does he know what a sesame Street is?
Speaker 4: Absolutely for a long time. He loves that.
Speaker 1: Bill right here is the god of sesame.
Speaker 2: Street, all right, Bill and the lot of comedy and good looks homeschool.
Speaker 1: Right now, the god of sesme Street is getting drunk right now.
Speaker 2: Thursday, Thursday, rage day, you know Thursday, Yeah, right, fall out of COVID. No idea what day it is.
Speaker 1: Hey, Journey.
Speaker 5: I have a story that's I don't know if it's a similar story, but it's some kind of segue from your story when you were talking about being both quarantined and under a curfew. We had the same thing here in New York there at one point there happening simultaneously, and I was just inside, you know, thinking how strange, and I was looking it up like when was the last time New York City had had a curfew And it was like, I forget it was in the nineteen thirties or something like that. But I was up here in my apartment thinking it's so strange quarantined and curfewed at the same time, you know, and I hear the mother loving ice cream man coming down the street.
Speaker 1: The ice cream truck. I heard an ice cream truck coming.
Speaker 5: I was like, this is just a bizarrow world right now, Like, I'm not supposed to go running outside, go get an ice cream, I swear.
Speaker 3: And then like the the mayor here like called the National Guard, and it was just like come on, I mean, it was literally reminiscent of the nineteen ninety two situation and really, come on, people, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: They were just to Beverly Hills.
Speaker 4: I mean, but it just was not enough.
Speaker 3: I have friends who were injured by the Rubbert bullets, like Kendrick was.
Speaker 4: You know potest Kendrick bullets. Yeah, and I know several people actually, you know, the tear. It was just ridiculous to me.
Speaker 3: And one of the things though, that doctor Malina was talking about, is really the success of this movement is going to depend on our imagination.
Speaker 4: You know, how big can we dream? And I think that's such a powerful way.
Speaker 3: Of framing the discussion around this, because people want to talk about like, oh, defund the police. Well know what, We're going to be there to show up when you actually need it, And it's like, no, can you dream about a reality that.
Speaker 4: Has never existed before?
Speaker 3: You dream about a world in which you do not call the National Guard on your own people? Can you dream about a world in which this one size fits all? Actually you realize no, people.
Speaker 4: Are different sizes. So you can't do a one size fist.
Speaker 3: And dream of a world where people know the history of this country for real, because that's a whole other thing. And know I'm policing. I know you get frustrated with that too, because all of a sudden people have woken up and they're like, wait, this happened.
Speaker 4: That happened the history of the police is this they did originally? We're established with it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Not to be the party poop about today's development. Trump wants to uh, well, it was a lot to go on there. But Trump wants to enforce a mandatory what he what He's calling a patriotic education, in other words, a forced a forced lesson on patriotic history in America? Is that kind of kind of a reversal to the what was? What was in the New York Times? How they you know, some schools now are starting to put in a curriculum about, you know, the truth about slavery in America that they haven't done before.
Speaker 4: He was eighteen, attacking the sixteen nineteen projects.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, kind of his version of that. But you know, of course, but he was registered, right, a mandatory. You want to know what's you know, what's hilarious not this is not This is not hilarious at all. Yeah, I'm kind of a man without an island here. One of the things that's happening that is not getting out there in the news is the fact that they're also switching without warning, like new units. Like where I used to vote has has suddenly changed, right, my my polling location has changed, and now that it's technically like over the city limits or whatever, I got to start all over again. So yeah, I just found that I found out a week and a half ago that I have to reregister to vote, Like there's and I'm certain that there's a lot of people in that position. You know. I, in any other normal circumstance, I would have just assumed that, yeah, I'm registered, and I go to my normal place that I've been going to for the last thirty years. And something told me, let me, let me make sure that they didn't pull flint Yo. They pulled a flip plan.
Speaker 3: They pulled it, especially in your state because you're voting in a red state. Correct.
Speaker 1: No, I'm a Pennsylvanian, which is a red state, right. But here's the thing, though, it's a big state now where I'm currently about to get a house. You know if if I if I claim Pennsylvania, then I have to live the life of two people and pay taxes.
Speaker 3: That's the weird part when you have to figure out what you want to do as a voter. I mean, I moved to California now, so it's it's weird because it's such a blue state. But I kind of miss living in Pennsylvania. My boy, I feel like my voice California.
Speaker 1: Now, are you still yeah?
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a lot of confusion out there.
Speaker 2: Mask.
Speaker 1: I want everyone to check this just just to make sure, because I'm telling you that playing like, I've gotten no letters saying that anymore.
Speaker 5: It's called redistrict redistricting or something like that.
Speaker 4: They're doing a bunch of stuff.
Speaker 3: Okay, so vote save dot Us slash Obama is one place you can go.
Speaker 4: Baram Obama had posted.
Speaker 1: This, so I trust yes, I saw this yesterday and reposting it.
Speaker 3: He said, dot us vote say dot Us slash Obama. You can go there to see if you're registered.
Speaker 4: And find out about early voting. We all got space.
Speaker 1: Say slash Obama Obama space right exactly. I don't know how actually well the journey said, though rings true. A lot of people don't know that. Where I'm formally from Candom, New or Philadelphia, right across the water in Candam, New Jersey, they've already started the process. They're seventy percent in of sort of starting from scratch, not necessarily defunding the police, but starting just watching it over and starting a new and the results are astounding, you know, because one thing is that most police officers are not from the neighborhoods yeah that they watch.
Speaker 3: So it's like the manifesto that they that was one of the things I wish they would put it back out here.
Speaker 1: So they followed that. Like Camden right now is actually like probably leading the charge and very exemplary of what should be happening. Like you have officers that are walking the beat more than they are in their cars. So it's like you have to be of the people. You have to be from the area, and they know everyone by name, not to mention you know. The thing is is like it's like also being in the medical profession, Like there's a certain amount of tests and and a process that you have to go through, Like if you were a doctor, you would have to go through these things that most police officers never have to go through, right, And so this is happening right now Camden, New Jersey. And like crime, like two thousand and six, Candom was what number three was three or two? Like the most violent city in America. Tell you they were.
Speaker 2: Average New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, camp un yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, nice. Used to go visit people in prison over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was bad. I mean the number is so bad. That's why Philadelphia kind of it led over into Philadelphia, like Philly's most violent years between two thousand and six and two thousand and nine as a result of what was happening in Candem it's it's fallen down like seventy percent now.
Speaker 4: So it's wild. You know where where the funding and where the money goes.
Speaker 3: You know, here in La the LAUSD, the school district has their own police force.
Speaker 4: I mean it's wild to me that you could spend they spent I think roughly seventy four million dollars just having a police presence in schools with children.
Speaker 3: I mean, do you imagine if you funneled that money, if you channel that money into community led initiatives, right, person, give seventy four million dollars to those children's parents and have them have a presence in their children's high school. I mean, like pay pay old daddy or mama who you know is that working three four jobs and barely able to see their children.
Speaker 4: Pay them to be in the schools.
Speaker 3: You know, why are you got to have an actual police presence? You're just funneling these children right into prison.
Speaker 4: You know. But it's priorities, It's it's priorities, and well, yeah, that is the plan.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately twenty one, what is it going to be?
Speaker 1: Wow? Are you still giving speeches? Journey? Yeah, So as we were staying earlier, you know when I was like all right, I'll do this, Like Journey was like, okay, you're you're pounding the pavement with us, Like I don't even have a say in the matter that it was like, or you don't get an invite to Thanksgiving or some ship like that. So I'll do this. And so in my mind I'm just thinking like, okay, well, i'll drive a van, I'll do something, just like, no, you're going to give speeches.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you love a good public appearance in there, public speaking, public face.
Speaker 3: Right now, Yes, you can't talk, but sometimes, you know not somebody.
Speaker 4: And me was out doing everything he was. We were literally knocking on was it Philly or somewhere in Ohio? I don't remember where we were.
Speaker 1: We were in Jesus Christ. Are we about our okay, journey, are we going to tell the story?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: That story the time.
Speaker 1: I want to tell the story. Oh you know the story?
Speaker 2: Answers yes, Oh.
Speaker 3: Said no, huh, okay, tell it, I'll tell it. I mean it's it's we were you're talking about the Marina del Ray one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So often what we were doing is we were phone bank.
Speaker 3: You know, he's talking about eight like really when we started heavily getting No, no, no, it was Maria del Ray.
Speaker 1: We were leaving a place where white people were. That's all I remember, Marina.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were leaving a grassroots organizing meeting for Obama and eight.
Speaker 4: And he was during the primaries. He hadn't even won yet.
Speaker 1: Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yes, we were depressed, and we were depressed.
Speaker 1: Lost Calf.
Speaker 4: California to Hillary. We were so depressed.
Speaker 3: And so he was driving his Mini coup whatever whenever I mean, would come to l A, would.
Speaker 1: Listen, you could you could tell like who's knowing me? Like based on the car I was driving doing.
Speaker 3: And it just goes from them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you remember, I forgot the we were depressed. Then we then we go see like there will be blood or something like. It was something depressing, just.
Speaker 4: Something I remember. I don't remember. But we got pulled over.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's that's the story.
Speaker 1: That's slightly putting it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I forgot, I mean pretty much we had. It was almost like that scene I think of traffic.
Speaker 1: Traffic, it was it was it was. It was traffic for you. It was more like boys in your hood for me, trapping.
Speaker 3: It was so many stories in traffic, which was.
Speaker 2: A crash, but they're both like the same kind of movie.
Speaker 4: They are a lot of stories, and I always confuse him.
Speaker 3: AnyWho, we get pulled over and I pull out my camera and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like starting to It's not like it's a phone camera. It's like that.
Speaker 2: You have to hit the red button like a ghetto boom box, like one of the motherfuckers.
Speaker 4: So the cop walks up to the car and and then Journey has the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it was uh there is like.
Speaker 4: Journey, were that damn thing. Wait, you ain't ele Baker right now? Okay, like to take the time to be ele Baker. Put it away because it's massive, And so they they she was.
Speaker 1: Ready to start the revolution in the car, ready.
Speaker 3: To televise it. And you know they they asked a mere to get out of the car. Don't tell them why. Then they asked me to get out of the car. They start patting him down. They walk him to the back of the car and handcuff him, put him in the back of the car. They pat me down, search me in ways that I will say it was incredibly violated.
Speaker 1: I knew they they yeah. I mean the difference between now and then is that, of course, with the the technology cell phones. You don't know if you're being recorded or not. But that was definitely, I mean there's definitely, you know, a moment in time where they were just reckless because they knew that nobody's ever going to see this or believe this or get away with this. Even when they were asking me questions like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what were they say, like what happens? We keep going?
Speaker 1: The thing is is that I know, you know, it's it's it's like the price. It's like it's like being on the prices right, And it's like when you're home, you know that you know that bottle Windexes whatever, nine or whatever, Like when you're home, you know, you know all the answers on Jeopardy, But when you're there and you see the look in their eyes, I was just like, I'm gonna die tonight, Like this is this is the it's the most helpless emasculating feelings ever. And you know he's talking about where's your register? I forgot what question he asked, and I said, well, you know my I said, you know, my assistant at the office. And then I mean like office, like it's like you can't be too smart or else your assassin or that sort of thing, and your mind is just blink because they know you don't know your rights of course, you know, knowing what I've seen now, like we shouldn't have gotten out the car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how did he even put handcuffs on you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: What, like, I don't well, they didn't give us any explanation. They then uncuffed me and put me in the back with the mirror, and we sat there. It felt like an eternity sitting in the back of that car together.
Speaker 4: We like neither one of us knew what to say. We just sat there in silence, you know, in.
Speaker 3: The back or in front, in back, Oh my god, that's.
Speaker 1: Back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then they came back.
Speaker 3: They had like, you know, looked throughout everything in his car and my purse and and just kind of like handed him back his driver's license and said, Okay, the weirdest ship.
Speaker 1: The weirdest ship was they wanted to look in the trunk and journey and I had stopped by Borders because Dawn, my manager, had just moved to LA and I was like, Okay, I'm gonna get her. I'm gonna get her a deluxe cract. I'm gonna get her a deluxe scrabble game. In my mind, I was like, he's going to open this trunk and see all these scrabbles and psychology books in the in the back, and he's going to say, there's no way, it's just car belongs to these two. Oh and his thing was that, and I never verified it. I think we did ask like why did you pull us over? Richard? Rich was calling me on the phone. Here's the weird ship. Rich was calling me on the phone about Princess table at the jam session, and me, quote being a good citizen, I was like, Okay, let me pull the car over so I can take this phone call, you know, or I could have just picked up the car, you know call while I was driving, but I didn't, and we happened to be in front of a Mini coup dealership.
Speaker 3: I guess, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean he said some shit about you know.
Speaker 3: He said he said something as if the lights the plates didn't match.
Speaker 4: The rental car uh contract?
Speaker 3: And we were like, but how'd you know to pull us over to check to see if the plates matched the rental car contract?
Speaker 4: Like you didn't have a contract when you decided to pull us over to know if they.
Speaker 3: Didn't match and and it just was pretty much they let us go without a ticket, without a warning, without anything, because there was nothing that Emir had actually done wrong. It was just he was driving while black in a mini coup with a big fro, right, and and we just felt, honestly, we just when we drove away.
Speaker 4: Ruined in silence. And may you kept you kept that week?
Speaker 1: That's a weird thing. Yeah, I don't even consider it, like even to look at that. I think that's when I started just putting my ships in the room, like I honestly, if you week, was it that week? The following Sunday I did?
Speaker 2: That was two thousand and eight, right, yeah, yeah, and so.
Speaker 4: Did you Bill. I'm going to say it again.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 1: Oh damn, that was too Okay, you're right.
Speaker 2: Bill, you not I get pulled over. I did winogrammy, thank you.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So that's.
Speaker 3: Talk about it. I was just I was gonna let that just because I know he know better. He was gonna that.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm the mini Cooper.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I'm making a joke. I shouldn't, but I'm so fucked up by all this. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: This is the one story I rarely share in public because it's just, you know, just the process, just to process it.
Speaker 3: But it was that word you kept using, you kept saying, jarn, I just feel so emasculated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for you to say it. Also, the two of you in the back of a cop card not speaking to each other is a is the quietest quiet I think I've ever heard of. Quiet. You're the most talking to people I've met in a long time. I feel like you would have a lot to say in this particular, crazy fucked up moment. Quiet. It's even more the intense than we.
Speaker 1: Live in such a machismo society where I don't let other men overpower them in anything and intellect, physically or those things. But it's almost like this unspoken thing that citizens know that any moment a cop can in your life within the bounds of the quote unquote.
Speaker 3: Law, and for you as do about it, and you had journey.
Speaker 4: With you so as a man's that's what I was gonna say. It's it's deep.
Speaker 3: It goes back to the slave days of like, you know, the emasculation of the black man, of like, Okay, we're going to do this in front of.
Speaker 4: You and in front of this woman and guess what. Guess what you can't do.
Speaker 3: You can't stop us, right, And so that's what we both could feel as we were driving away, and he kept being like, Joe, I'm so sorry, and I kept being like, what.
Speaker 4: Could you have done?
Speaker 3: There was nothing you could have done. Like, we made it out alive. That's better than a lot of people in this situation can say, like, and that's a shitty that's a shitty reality to have to settle for.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, well, at least we.
Speaker 1: Made it out a lot.
Speaker 4: But we did, y'all. We made it out alive. You know.
Speaker 3: That's the shitty thing of driving while black, and the shitty thing of you.
Speaker 4: Know, walking and walking by black black or black and male. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you had any situation like that ever? Or since?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: God? Yeah?
Speaker 2: More?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I've shot so much in the South too, you know, so I've had several experiences. I mean, I remember shooting Great Debaters. Was that after before I can't remember. I think that was before, but I remember we did the lynching scene and I was driving a set in the van and over the radio I heard one of the teamsters say, well, we're having a lunchend today, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 4: I mean like, yeah, I've dealt with.
Speaker 3: Some crazy as stuff, you know, yeah, as you all have too. Yeah, but you deal with it and then you acted out. It's different, you like re enacted. So it's it's to me, it's like, well that's my that's my way of channeling the pain. I guess, yeah, is trying to place it somewhere.
Speaker 4: You know. Obviously with love Craft, there was a lot I had to pull bro Okay, a lot in my life was shitty at that time.
Speaker 1: But when is there talks of season two or a return or.
Speaker 3: I don't know, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Wait, still, this is not an instant slam dunk.
Speaker 4: And she said we will see like we will see like we will see I mean as in like the powers that be that's above my pay grades.
Speaker 3: To get their ship together. That's what I know.
Speaker 4: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be genuinely hurt if nothing angers me more when I get emotionally involved in a series only for it to be yanked away.
Speaker 2: Phone calls saying that you can't make your phone calls of what I am exactly.
Speaker 3: The good news is that all signs point to very positive response from folks from critics from I mean the I was recently told the pilot is like it's, you know, setting records for how many people have watched it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm that I count for I count for twenty eight of those views journeys the Pilot like maybe eleven times because I've made other people me too, watch as well.
Speaker 4: We we're we're in good shape, y'all. We're in good shape.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, what does it feel like being a part It's an interesting time where we have Lovecraft, Pea Valley, the Shy. I feel like I'm leaving somebody out this one more other show that are like female black female show watch just.
Speaker 4: Run not Run. Yeah yeah, yeh yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah. It's an interesting time, does it? I mean, do you feel that like you're yours? Is you're a part of that too? With me?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's incredibly exciting. And I think one of the exciting things for me about Lovecraft when I read the pilot was it just deconstructs this classic genre and such a radical and bold it was a racist So this is really like a fuck you to him. Somebody said that to me, like Lovecraft was like a whole races.
Speaker 4: It's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, so this is like a real good fuck you. I love it. Did you know that A mirror?
Speaker 1: No school me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's it's mentioned briefly in the pilot A mir when you uh so when you watch it for the seventh team time when Atticus is when Atticus says to Uncle George, you know about the essay that Lovecraft wrote called on the Creation of Niggers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's what I thought. You dropped another easter egg that I wasn't aware of where you have to watch twice or three times to catch something that you didn't catch before.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I do have to say. I keep telling me Sha that I don't know if people are gonna love her or hate her by the end of the season.
Speaker 1: It was it was made.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: I think. I think the timing came out perfectly because in quarantining this gives you all the time in the world you need to really really concentrate on this.
Speaker 4: But I just got to give you a warning. I just where she takes y'all the.
Speaker 1: Emotions episode right. Yeah, as of the taping, we're only on number five, and.
Speaker 3: Might we say that number five was was its own thing. I was just proud of all my heterosexual extra masculine men who continue their love craft journey. Because it was heavy.
Speaker 1: New day and age. Man, this man.
Speaker 3: Stopped at don't be like people. Some certain dudes wasn't like there's a lot of men that were like, hey, that's still watching.
Speaker 1: But that aren't used to Michael K. Williams sort of being fluid in all his roles.
Speaker 3: No, not for him. The actual act, the sexual act was heavy. I had to ask for it myself, and I'm I just I was say it was heavy.
Speaker 2: It was happy when you do your man voice, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's what I do.
Speaker 3: But the two things were both. That was heavy and so it was also what was happy was going with with Ruby, So that was that was just brilliant. I'm just I'm just warning you if you think, if you think she has taken.
Speaker 4: You places deeper going to she is going to mess with your mind emotion.
Speaker 1: I have a question and episode for how much of that was green screen or actual location? The the plank scene.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I mean look obviously a lot of it below.
Speaker 4: You know, we were we were up in some of in some of it.
Speaker 3: They had us like on wires maybe like one hundred feet up or something like that, so they had to fill in the rest of it.
Speaker 4: But it was, it was It was a lot of fun to do some of that stuntwork, you know.
Speaker 1: I would be remiss to say that there is a love Craft Country Radio.
Speaker 3: Yes, Shannon, and it's it's breaks down all the episodes.
Speaker 1: It's really so driving to the farm. That's kind of what I'm and.
Speaker 3: I highly recommend after watching each episode go and listen to that because they really do a great.
Speaker 4: Out of breaking it down from the writer's perspective, too.
Speaker 3: Thoroughly broken down well before a mere ends or whatever. I just want to say, Journey, I just got to tell you, as a representation of fanhood out here, I appreciate every role you have chosen and all the energy you have put into them.
Speaker 4: Like, thank you so much, just thank you.
Speaker 1: Yes, any are you allowed to talk about future projects that you're working on? There is everything super n d A. We'll see it when we see it.
Speaker 4: You'll hear about something soon.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, Journey, how do you feel filming in a COVID America? Who says I'm gonna be in America? The workplaces, other places. Listen when I tell you they have found places, because it ain't wonder I've never been to. I'm excited to go to. But it's definitely gonna be different. You know, some of the stuff we have.
Speaker 4: To do.
Speaker 3: This project I'm about to do. You gotta like quarantine for two weeks. I'm like, yeah, I've been quarantine, but okay, I'll.
Speaker 2: Continue quarantine in the quarantine.
Speaker 1: It's a thing medine.
Speaker 2: Does, y'all dottery, Yeah, we get tested.
Speaker 1: It can't be around each other.
Speaker 2: No, it's too.
Speaker 4: Close't be around each other.
Speaker 1: No, Actually I was joking, but I think you're serious. Bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I'm serious, very serious person. But also uh they Yeah, I think it's like one person. If the rector is it's it's the same way. Everything else is filmed. Everything's in zones zone A and zone B and da dada, and it's ridiculous and that's what we're doing. But it is country, okay, wherever you're going.
Speaker 1: I hope you appreciate how painless this was?
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 3: You should have asked her.
Speaker 4: It was a lot of fun, from one to from.
Speaker 1: One to getting teeth pulled. How easy was this interview.
Speaker 4: It was too point seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was wondering.
Speaker 1: Where the missteps were. But okay, anyway, what happened early birthday?
Speaker 4: Journey the early birthday? Oh thank you?
Speaker 2: Co parenting is a journey and I'm not even fucking around. Just wait a minute, journ journy. One last question, dude, you're you're singing you finally? How how was the process of singing? Birds pray and and and.
Speaker 4: That was really you and birds are prey sing Excuse me?
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, shut I know, I'm sorry. I offense if you can see Journey's face right now.
Speaker 4: So sorry, Journey. It was me saying I do my stunts. I mean, you know you just like my character is gonna do a I've gotta do all the uncomfortable things you can say.
Speaker 3: I love scene, if we're gonna do martial arts, if we're gonna love love, Yes, thank you? Okay, oh yeah, okay, you killed it. Then you sang your ass off in that.
Speaker 4: Movie, So okay, thank you. You've been trying to get me to sing. E've been trying to get me to sing forever. It's the thing I am most terrified to do.
Speaker 1: And singing you come from a singing family. Imagine do the dishes together, singing and all that stuff.
Speaker 4: Oh we do.
Speaker 3: But first of all, Amir didn't tell y'all how he came over to Thanksgiving dinner one year.
Speaker 1: And that was the whole premise of the last time you guys will to show.
Speaker 3: That's right, every Thanksgiving, a mere text me who on that text threat me Jake, Jesse, Jazz like.
Speaker 1: The entire familist. I want to know what time.
Speaker 4: At, like ten o'clock, what night he'll text us and be like, y'allat dinner.
Speaker 1: Here, No, y'all take the turkey out.
Speaker 3: Yeah you'll always eat, Yes, only real black. Give me only one Thanksgiving because everyone's got to make their dish, and everyone's dish has gotten better than the other person, and everyone.
Speaker 1: It's like we went light on Journey. Journey has made houses with her hands. Journey is she could be tool time, like like.
Speaker 4: Yeah we do coventry, carpentry.
Speaker 1: She's a plumber, model homes with.
Speaker 3: I watched the decorating shows. I see them killing all right this storm.
Speaker 1: Yeah I can.
Speaker 3: I can refinish your heart with flour you need me to, I can.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Journey is the most raid look it up on paper.
Speaker 3: You need.
Speaker 4: We're great, hand baby, you need basically.
Speaker 2: Sending all that ship.
Speaker 4: I should just got paper.
Speaker 5: No, that's that's fucking thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, you're not handy, Bill stop.
Speaker 2: Much for the record, I am not. However, my house just got renovated. It finished literally today. I'm not even fucking around the poly your thing, fucking semigloss got done today.
Speaker 3: Journey talking about putting her head on.
Speaker 2: I can install a fucking ceiling fan.
Speaker 1: Soilking Journey, I mean every clearly, seriously. Hey, hey, I was on the tonight show nine hundred thousand right now. I got to have like a twenty eight mansion. I'm not lying. We we appreciate you, and thank you.
Speaker 4: Jeremy.
Speaker 1: All right on, behalf of the entire team Supreme. This is Quest Love and we will see you on the next go round. All right, good night, Much Love. Supreme isduction of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.