Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you here, two pros and a cup of Joe filling in for DP and the guys. You can normally hear us weekday mornings six to nine am Eastern Time, three to six am Pacific Time on but Weird.
Speaker 3: I'm awake, Okay, we got it open today. Yeah, we dis improvement.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is yes, We're doing it all live here from the tire rack dot com studios. Tire rack dot com, the official dog roxpert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to ti rack dot com slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide and see the full line of Yokohama Tires Special offers free roadhazard protect type of tire. Yokohama Tires Special offers free roadhazard protection and mobile tire installation. Tire rack dot Com The way tire buying should be. Hell yeah, on a Friday, I'm talking about it. Got my mouth surgery yesterday. It was emergency surgery. What my tooth is the tooth with the iron mask, you know, like like the movie they put iron in there.
Speaker 4: They said, dude, like, what the frick? Like, we didn't make it to the crown.
Speaker 3: You destroyed your dentist as surfer.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I was like, bro, is like, Bro, you jacked your tooth totally up while we were waiting for your permanent grown. Now we got to order you a whole an entirely different crown for your tooth. You know that isn't how he talks though he's super cool dude, but he had to really do some work because I fractured my tooth.
Speaker 5: This is gonna come off as sound like a d bag, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it.
Speaker 3: I'm very ignorant when it comes.
Speaker 5: To teeth, despite the fact that my father in law is orthodonists. But I never asked questions about it, mostly because I really don't care. But but like, what so the crowns for a while, if you have a cavity or something.
Speaker 4: I had to get a root canal. Yeah, so they had, so.
Speaker 3: You get a root canal when again a cavity you have something.
Speaker 4: No, they don't remove it. They just like drill to the the nerve and then like yeah to the root. Yeah, and then they like killed the nerve and then they let it heal, and then they put a crown on it, and it's like nothing ever happened, you know. But I had a temporary crown on because I'm getting a gold and I hear maybe that's the moral of the story. I was, I'm getting a matching goal. A goal, yeah, but it's in the back. It's in the back.
Speaker 5: Why would okay, hold on, this is great, We're gonna break the style. Why would you want to get a gold tooth and that no one's going to see in the back?
Speaker 3: Gods, I can, right, but no one's ever gonna see it. So what do you like them?
Speaker 4: I smile pretty big, que and I gotta I already have one gold. Have you ever saw a gold tooth in my in my mouth? Like when I smile, smile enough around, shut up? Some people might see it, you know, almost cursed on a.
Speaker 5: Curve, look deep back in there. That's correct, that's correct. So if you see it, if you see it, you know it's because he.
Speaker 4: Was really in my mouth. But I'm gonna get another one on the opposite side of matching one. And I was waiting on it. And while I was waiting on it, I guess, I was. I was sitting around. I was. I know, I'm not supposed to chew nuts, but I wouldn't as I was chewing on nut clusters and then I fractured my too. Okay, but which one can't be a cashew? Cashews too? It was it was a cluster, so it was almonds, it was cashws, it was sunflower seeds, and it's like put together and like dar kind of like that. But they're like they're keto. They're Keto though, so they're pretty good. But yes, yes, And I was just sitting there and I was chewing and I bit and I felt it boom, like I fractured it too. I didn't even know you could fracture too. I just thought you break it, which a fracture is a break, I guess, But I mean, I don't know. I'd never heard that terminology used. And it scared me, you know. I was sitting there and they were like, man, they were going through the language of it and taking the X rays and then they were like, yeah, da da, there's such and such a bicuspics and this is that one is fractured. I was like, fractured. Oh my gosh, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: My dadd has told me said, listen, nuts will get you every time.
Speaker 3: He said, just relax. He said that a trick.
Speaker 2: Is you can take almonds and you soak them in water to make them some if you want to, uh, if you still want to get your your almend fix.
Speaker 5: Alright, this is the part of conversation where I have the jump and so well, let's get the sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 5: Come on, man, we were good until we started get into the nuts conversations.
Speaker 4: Too much nuts is not good for you.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, some would say that the Jets organization is nuts. Some would say they've been nuts for quite some time.
Speaker 4: The reason sometimes like a nut.
Speaker 2: And apparently it was a nutty situation and departure for Aaron Rodgers, who spoke yesterday on the Pat McAfee show starring aj Hawk and Rogers decided to air out the New York Jets and describe what the final meeting was with Aaron Glenn with Aaron Moogie. This is entire situation debacle, if you will. Here was Rogers breaking it all down.
Speaker 6: I figured they went.
Speaker 7: I flew across country on my own dime that there was going to be a conversation, and twenty seconds in he goes, I mean literally, I'm talking to the GM about something and he leans to the to a sheet and.
Speaker 6: Goes, should you want to play football?
Speaker 7: And I was like, yeah, I'm interested, and he said we're going a different direction in quarterback and I was kind of shocked. Now, not shocked because I didn't think that was a possibility. Listen, of course they want to move on. That's totally fine, but shocked because I just flew across the country.
Speaker 6: You could have told me this on the phone.
Speaker 7: So I said huh, and he goes, we just want to know how you want it released the messaging and I said why And then he said, I don't want to be up in front of the room saying something and have guys looking back.
Speaker 6: At you interesting And I said, what does that even mean?
Speaker 7: Are you assuming that I would be in the back of the room during the team meeting undermining what you're saying. I said, you don't know me, and he said you don't know me, and then I said exactly, which is why I flew across the country to have a face to face meeting with you to talk about my experience with the Jets. What I thought was going to be a couple hour meeting turned into like a fifteen minute meeting and I walked out of there.
Speaker 2: So there's your your final moments with the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: And was that a beef?
Speaker 4: You don't know me, homie. Look, man, you don't know.
Speaker 5: This has to look terrible for the Jets, right, Oh gosh, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, because here's the reality of it.
Speaker 5: If if that's how you're willing to deal with the guy wh's gonna be a first Battle Hall of Famer, how do you feel like they're gonna deal with guys who are on the back end of the roster? I mean as a player, and I'm not saying that like all players like Aaron Rodgers or all players even relate to Aaron Rodgers. He seems to have a good rapport with his teammates. But you sit there and go, this is how this, this is how the team's handling this guy like he Now, mind you, he probably flew private like his on his own dime.
Speaker 3: It's like that.
Speaker 5: It's not like the team's flying him there on his jet to get there, which is a pretty penny if you're coming from California to New York and back. Like I would estimate, I don't know. Someone who's in the industry would would probably correct me, tell me I'm wrong. Minimum eighty thousand dollars hundred thousand just for that trip.
Speaker 3: There and back.
Speaker 5: Minimum, that's probably what he's spent doing it. And to not at least want to hear from a guy who's won or Super Bowl won what four MVPs seems to have a different perspective on the league, but could give some insight to Aaron Glenn who's stepping into his first opportunity as a head coach and doesn't know this organization, regardless of what anyone wants to say, doesn't note as well as Aaron Rodgers. He's been there the last two years. He's got a much better feel for the pulse of Woodie Johnson how things have operated the past couple of years than Aaron Glenn does. And he didn't want to take the time just to pick his brand and talk to him, even if he didn't want to see him as his quarterback.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: It's kind of goes back to like the Bill Belichick not getting more interviews, Like teams didn't even want to take the opportunity when you had a legitimate chance to take the opportunity to pick one of the greatest football minds mind in an interview, even if you don't want to hire him, just bring him into at least interview him and see what we can get from him, right knowledge, he'll be willing to give up and maybe pour into you, your organization, your leaders, whoever. And so for Aaron Glenn, you didn't even want to do that. You're just gonna jump right to the point. And I guess I understand to a degree he doesn't want to waste his time. But then to Aaron Rodgers' point, just give m a phone call, Like if it's over like that, just give him a phone call. This makes it look like the Jets, and LaVar has said it all along, our dysfunction, but also now it looks even more like a clown show, and it feels like you've got a head coach who, yeah, maybe he has an idea of what he's trying to build, but it almost makes it look even worse to how this year is gonna go with Justin Fields as their quarterback.
Speaker 3: If things don't go well, it's.
Speaker 5: A disaster because you had a guy you could have brought back, who's a first ballot Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: And so if he goes somewhere else and plays.
Speaker 5: Well and that team's in the hunt, or if that and even then like forget that, that might be even separate from if the Jets just fall apart become a dumpster fire. He could be a one and done Like these are some of the things that start to come out in the media where it puts more and more pressure and makes everyone question, is this guy maybe there's a reason why it took him so long to become a head coach. He's been a great decordinator, he's had a great reputation, But then you watch how he handles this instance, this situation, I don't know, man, dysfunction, clown show, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: That's the right back of the Jets are again.
Speaker 4: I have a theory, and the theory is he is acting off of off of the feelings of ownership. And I've seen this happen before. I've been I've been a party to Joe Gibbs falling victim to doing the same exact thing. I was the leader of a team, I was the face of a of a team, of a franchise of the town and due to a vendetta that was apparently I wasn't really even aware of it, but due to a vendetta of the owner and how he turned his feelings on how he felt about me, he tasked someone else, because he's a coward. He tasked someone else to be his henchman, and Joe Gibbs went for it. He took the cheese, and his coward ass did the same thing like head behind, you know, things he shot in the head behind, and the conversations that he and I were having, which was interesting because if media was where it was at right now, I'd have probably did the same thing that Aaron Rodgers did and had the conversation about it, and we probably be having the same conversation about how you have a dysfunctional organization. I tend to believe that Aaron Glenn and handling Aaron Rodgers was totally doing with the influence of what he had already had got from and communicated with Woody Johnson in terms of how they made him feel, in terms of what they think took place with Aaron Rodgers in New York, and Aaron Glenn was executing what his feelings were towards the situation with Aaron Rodgers, and did that under the influences and the pretenses of what was fed to him once he came to the New York Jets as their head coach. So in a way, while we'll say, okay, maybe, as a head coach, you don't allow for an owner or corporate to dictate how you handle a situation. Keep your emotions out of it. You are the head coach of this team. You have to manage the relationships with these players differently. But that could be also tongue in cheek, because we all know this is the man that hires you. This could be the man that fires you, whether it's a year, whether it's two years, whatever it may be. And he's already showing signs of trying to pacify dysfunction. That's my theory. I don't think that Aaron Glenn would have wanted to take the stance he took with Aaron Rodgers. In fact, knowing Aaron Glenn, I would assume he would want the best players on his team. I don't think he had a choice. I don't think he had a choice in the matter of keeping Aaron Rodgers on that roster based upon the feelings that were going towards Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Glenn was tasked to make that one of the first things that he handled once taking the job.
Speaker 2: So then Woody Johnson is still meddling in decisions, got it.
Speaker 4: I think the influence. I think the only way you take because let's be clear, as former players, whether you're a coach now, whether we just you know, whatever you're doing in your life. When we see one another, we greet each other a certain type of way. You're not going to like, come out, You're not going to come out a.
Speaker 5: Guy, hold on, And what type of way is that? It's different than anybody else, right.
Speaker 3: You say, hey, I come in. I kind of couple you.
Speaker 4: We greet each other very differently than everybody else. But everybody else to us, aren't us. I mean that's I if that, if I'm letting the fan base and people in on a secret, I'm sorry to do that. It's not that we think any less of you. It's just that we don't think of you the same way we think of one another.
Speaker 3: That's all. That's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 5: Sorry you if you could give me the difference between you and Jonas kind of seeing each other, Yeah, somewhere on the street or whatever.
Speaker 3: Then and you and I seen one another?
Speaker 4: All right. If I saw Gentinus, I'd be like, somebody, what's going on? Brah? If I saw you, I'd be like.
Speaker 3: You, what's up? Damn?
Speaker 4: How your body feel? Kids?
Speaker 6: Is good?
Speaker 4: Everything?
Speaker 6: Good? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Cool?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 4: I was good. I was gonna you know, and you always say it's good to see you, like three four times when you see somebody that played, you'd be like, man, it's good to see you, bro, man, so good to see you.
Speaker 2: I was gonna point out like a racial component, but you really buckled my knees when you went to Brady on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no real quick real quest's great Jonas, that it exceeds race.
Speaker 3: Did you see me on the street? Why do we greet each other?
Speaker 4: Say again, how would that would me on the street?
Speaker 5: Hey hey Brady, little top gun, Hey hey little up top Jonas, what's up? Hoss?
Speaker 4: That's football? That's football talk though you can't use hosts. Yeah, but that's you know, that's like maybe high school. Yeah, we're really trying hard to be a meathead. Yeah you were trying. Yeah, that is sometimes cats like you try to overcompensate because I want to be greeted that way. But it's the same thing if I see LeVar. If I see LeVar, I'd be like, so.
Speaker 3: That, you know, what's weird.
Speaker 5: Every time I see Jonas and every time we walk together from like the set during Radio rodor in Super Bowl, I always am like, Man, if I had an oil can, I would try to like just inject some oil into Jonas's joints just to make him look a little smoother.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It's just please, it's very rigid. It's a very rigid, stiff.
Speaker 4: That's vampire joints.
Speaker 3: That's not true.
Speaker 5: There's zero there's like zero skip, zero, limps, zero anything.
Speaker 2: Because you get to where we go part. Yeah, I'm floating. All I've got in my body is blood and it ain't mine. You don't know the vampire life. You know what we go through. You know. Here's here's what's so funny about the Rogers discussion. So I'm seeing yesterday people are you know, laying in like, oh God, of course it's everybody else's fault. And he's this and that and he's pointing fingers and it's like I just want to say. We're not talking about like a high functioning, well respected history of great decisions and great moves and great we're talking about the Jets. Yes, it's plausible that the meeting happened exactly how it happened. It's not like Rogers has been known to just lie. Okay, people could put oh, well, you know the COVID stuff and all. No, you just he found a loophole in his messaging and that's why people are still bitter about it. But it's not like we're talking about oh well, this is just this is an organization that is pristine and all they know is success him saying it about them. So you're the one guy who's got a problem with the way that they handle things. There, No, we've seen this for decades. It's the same story for decades. Insert quarterback. It's a disaster, drafted signed head coach. So like, when I hear the pushback on things he's said, look, is he a little bit arrogant?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Is he a little bit aloof at times? Does he want to control the messaging? Does he like the attention but claim that he does? Probably, But it still doesn't admonish the Jets from being palpable in this whole situation whatever I'm trying to say, palpable in this whole situation, that they're a disaster and they've been a disaster for years. And we've brought this point up before on our show when the first couple of moves and couple of signs are hey, we don't want any part of this. We're Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells saying no, we're good here. And that was before we had any sort of intel or information on what Woody Johnson's era with the Jets was going to be. That should have been the indicator. Okay, maybe there's something wrong here. So the pushback on Roger I don't get because it's the Jets. They've done this for decades.
Speaker 4: And they didn't even play that bad. It's to me, he's better than Justin Fields last year. He's better than Justin Fields.
Speaker 5: Can I point out for one instance, don't point out though, where I think a lot of people have dug their feet in and it's over as far as how they feel. It's the whole vaccination thing. Yes, that was such a polarizing issue that there's a lot of people who maybe they're football fans, maybe they're not. But whenever you talk about politics, religion, things like that, and obviously the whole vaccination deal it was polit a size and that's why it became so polarizing. But the way he messaged the immunized comment and how people took that and how this people drew a line in the sand back then, and they've never been willing to concede on any of that. I mean, this is like outside of a sports conversation, Like the people who believed in the people who didn't.
Speaker 3: They drew a line and they're not ever willing to cross that.
Speaker 5: Like no one's even like even right now, regardless of whatever report comes out, whatever side you were on, they're sticking to that. They're like, there's no way you're going to convince them otherwise. And unfortunately, like he put himself rightfully, so he put himself in the middle of that with how he handled that, and I think that actually might be the most polarizing thing that has still followed him to this day, outside of even how he's handled things with being so open and honest about, you know, things in Green Bay and how the drafting of Jordan Love went, or even his time with Brett Favre and everything else up there, and now with the New York Jets and everything else in his personal life that's become public, which with the documentary.
Speaker 3: So to me, as much as he is very unique.
Speaker 5: As an athlete or as a quarterback in the NFL, there's also an element of like that singular thing, to me created the biggest divide for the people who are either for Aaron Rodgers or like Aaron Rodgers or against them. And it's kind of crazy when you think about it, and people can say that's not true, but you're lying, Like I see it. To this day, there's people who still have like ruined friendships on as close with their family. There's all sorts of issues from that singular moment in time with the way people kind of drew a line in the sand, and they're not ever willing to cross it and they're not ever willing to go back on whatever happened back then.
Speaker 4: He never breaks character either though. That's I think that that really irritates a lot of people. And if I were a betting man, I would say the way Aaron Rodgers conducts himself is an irritant to people. Like a Woody Johnson, he does not break character. Oh yeah, and he answers questions, especially almost as if it's like a riddle, you know what I mean, Like he doesn't break character. He stays in that same well you know. And and all I wanted to say was yep, I can't you could have done at this by the phone. Well you don't know me. Well you're right. And and that's why I can't like the witty comments that the comebacks. It's not it doesn't help. It doesn't help, Like show me some emotion, like I'll beat trassed, Like what oh whoa Aaron Rodgers said? What you know what I mean? Like it is it is funny. Yeah, we they don't break character.
Speaker 2: It is funny how we pick and choose you know who. We're still gonna punish for things that were done and said five years ago during COVID.
Speaker 4: A long time ago. Yeah. Well, Woody Johnson ain't thinking about the immunization. He's thinking about how Aaron rod tried to ruin him. He tried to ruin me. No, he's got there. You better get him.
Speaker 2: Someone say he's got a vested interest, and somebody getting I can't do it myself.
Speaker 4: You guys handle it.
Speaker 2: I handled this uh, it is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox in for DP and the guys. So we are going to have the usuals, the stuff we do on our show throughout the course of the show.
Speaker 4: We've got in case you missed it.
Speaker 2: Later this hour, We've also got something called Lee's Leftover, Stick around and find out, plus a special look ahead to the play in games as the NBA playoffs are almost set. We'll have that for you throughout the course of this show. Up next though, apparently somebody is historic. They haven't played a game yet in the NFL, but they are historic. We'll explain why right here on FSR.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich?
Speaker 9: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories and the world, the sports and pop culture stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something.
Speaker 4: Right, So check us out.
Speaker 9: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 4: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: It's the Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio, LaVar Arrington, Brady quinnionas NOx in for Dan and the guys coming up here in a little over fifteen minutes from now. They are calling out the fakes. There are frauds in the world of football. They will officially be called out and punished starting this upcoming season.
Speaker 4: We'll get into that for you here on FSR.
Speaker 2: Hey, by the way, do we have an update on the fan that was hit by a golf ball by Billy Horschel yesterday at that tournament whatever the tournament.
Speaker 4: Was, because thatth looked grotesque?
Speaker 2: Did you see that, Brady? The guy Shinn who took a golf ball while in the gallery and horn shot horse.
Speaker 5: I'm always a big fan though, I'm always a big fan of those who are sticking it out, able to kind of tough it out through it and basically providing a backboard for professional golfers just in case they sprayed a little bit outside of the fairway, there's always a nice fan in there to help bounce it right back in or at least stop it right there in the rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He So this guy got a golf ball straight in the shin and Horsell went over. I think he outlined it and then autographed his leg afterwards, and it is revolting. So hopefully, hopefully that that gentleman is okay and can continue on and join the tournament, you know, at the gallery there, whatever tournament that was not named the Masters. Now that being said, I want to let you know. We are brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh better get Maco. The Cleveland Browns are holding the number two pick in the draft. The betting odds have indicated that Travis Hunter will be the pick at number two, depending on if the Browns are picking there or not. Who knows, but that is the expectation that as far as the gambling odds go, that it could be the Browns taking Travis Hunter, and so the GM of the Cleveland Browns, Andrew Berry, spoke about Travis Hunter's skill set and also compared him to one of the all time great talents that we are currently watching.
Speaker 8: That number two pick is that's kind of how he's viewed. Is the guy that can do both versus just is one side of the No, I don't see it that way. I think it's and I'm going to use a crossburn now. It's a little bit like Otani right where you know, when he's playing one side, he's an outstanding player.
Speaker 6: If he's a pitcher.
Speaker 8: He's a hitter, he's an out the only player you obviously get a unicorn if you use them both ways.
Speaker 2: All right, so he's getting the comp. He hasn't played in the that's not a good yes, not a good comp.
Speaker 4: Why not? Well, because what is otan? What does Otani play when he's not being a picture?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 4: Well done? Yeah, that was more so his mean he doesn't need that's like that. That's that sneaky shot. They're like, why do you go down? How do you all? Is right there? Brady with an undercut, you know, just a little something, a little under underneath.
Speaker 5: I don't know, I'll say, is his normal position is not picture correct?
Speaker 4: Doesn't he pay like shortstop or something?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, he's a d H d H picture. You know he's not a picture all the time. Well, he's not a picture. Don't be miss miss like leading.
Speaker 2: Here's why I you know, if you want to say it's not a fair comp, first of all, because Travis Hunter hasn't done anything in the league yet, But also.
Speaker 4: Don't don't do that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying no, I'm just saying he is that. We have no idea if it's going to work. Out, and if it's the Browns, who knows.
Speaker 4: Well, that's even more true. But Otani he's working to come back. He is hoping to pitch at some point this year, and he's a great hitter. And so these baseball players play both sides. They NBA or you know basketball, they play both sides, right, like you play offense and you play defense.
Speaker 2: We've never seen anybody be able to pitch and hit the way Otani has.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they go both ways. They do both well. No, I'm not saying that's you know what I mean, like the defense. Yeah, it's not a fire for you to do both and in football. So that's why I say it's a poor comp But I get what you're saying.
Speaker 5: You're basically saying, like, for example, if we're counting pitching his defense right in baseball, which it would be correct, it'd be like him playing pitcher and catcher like, and then Travis Hunter playing cornerback in d end right, Like, that's in essence what you're saying. I'm saying, you play both quarterback and also a wide receiver quarterback d n White, Dane, I mean, I mean that's the equivalent of show Hey, Yeah, but I would I just think that with with Travis Hunter, you're getting a unicorn. If he can play at a high level and play here here, here's the thing. Right, If you play on that cornerback and he can become an All Pro, that is phenomenal in itself.
Speaker 4: Period. If he plays receiver and can become an All Pro, that is phenomenal period. You know, some of the greatest players who have ever played this game only have like like a handful or less than a handful of first team All Pro bids. Right, So if you you're good enough to be an All Pro player and on that list at your position, that's phenomenal. Now, if you have that type of talent, are we are we adjusting our scope? Are we saying, Okay, he.
Speaker 5: Should be an All Pro corner but just be a serviceable receiver, or should he be an All Pro receiver and be a serviceable cornerback?
Speaker 4: Like what are we looking? How are we? Because again the conversation that we had the other day when we were debating, and I know you said you know his status, we looked up his stat lines or you looked up his stat lines Q and made the point because I think t mac is is a guy that is special at the receiver's position. But the point is is that if you believe that he can be an elite playmaking receiver where he goes number two overall in the draft, are you expecting him to do that at both positions or is it just one? Because I think that plays a major part in all it is. Is it both ways or is it just one and serviceable to the other.
Speaker 3: Well, here's what I'd say, is right if we look at the draft.
Speaker 5: And people always say, oh, you get a fifty percent chance of getting hit on a guy in the first round, right, people will say that, well, technically, if he plays two positions, gotta get fifty percent chance.
Speaker 3: At either one.
Speaker 5: And so I think the position versatility or flexibility is where the value comes in. Is if you think he can be like he was in college, a top wide receiver and or a top cornerback, then it increases your odds of hitting on that pick, of getting a guy that is maybe a gold jacket guy at one of those two positions. Now, if it ends up being both, great, But from just a pure odds betting standpoint, if you're a betting man and you're saying I can increase my odds of this player being an impactful players starter, pro bowler, All Pro Hall of Famer at one of two positions. It takes some pressure off of you, right, I mean, you could play him a wide receiver if things aren't going as well, put him at cornerback. Like I think, I have a hard time believing that one of those two isn't going to stick for him, at least based on what I've seen on tape. Again, I keep going back to I think his natural fit for me, and this is just more of watching him play both. And look, don't get me wrong, he's got natural instincts as far as a ball catcher, a great hand, eye coordination, suddenness, and his route running. But he's still very raw with his route running and that's something that takes time to develop whether you're Travis Hunt or any other wide receiver. But as a cornerback, he just has a feel for the game and how he sees the game and how he sees the quarterback and how that you know, and different route combinations. I just I feel like that position comes to him more naturally. And so all I'm saying is, if you could take someone who improves your chances of it being a hit. As a general manager, that goes on your resume to showcase to the owner and everyone else that.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is you know, this was a hit.
Speaker 5: This was another another hit, another one that worked out for me as a general manager. You're gonna take that guy. So I don't know which will end up playing on it. Maybe the Browns will do both, like maybe Thot'll be part of the intrigue for twenty twenty five. If this is a team that's still at the bottom of the AFC North because of the quarterback situation, at least you're selling one of those dynamic players we've ever seen, potentially in his rookie season, trying to play both ways.
Speaker 3: There's something to be said for that.
Speaker 4: If he's listed as both ways, how are you going to pay him?
Speaker 5: How do you have to worry about You don't have to worry about that for at least three more years, But how do you do you pay him for both positions?
Speaker 4: Because that's a roster he's if he is a full time receiver and he's a full down corner.
Speaker 5: Your your CBA, the draft, the rookie draft, sellar pool. So it doesn't really have anything to do with you know. Now, now we're where he'll get a bonus is his play snap percentage. So remember, because even when he's paid as a rookie, he'll get a huge bonus at the end of the year if he's playing both ways because of the amount of snaps. He's playing on both sides of the ball. So that's where he'll be able to cash in on that. And that's where the en You know, NFLP has done a good job and trying to reward guys who aren't being paid as much, and especially as rookies, but they're playing a lot, so it's at least covered a portion of that gap. And I understand what you're saying, but that's three years away. That's that's the first opportunity.
Speaker 4: That man became an All Pro on both sides of the ball as a receiver and as a corner, which we've never seen that happen ever before. How are you going to pay that man?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, because I think it's along the lines of what you were thinking, LeVar, but i'll kind of throw it at you.
Speaker 4: Guys. If he was just a wide receiver, is he in consideration for the number two pick? No? No, If he was just there's no receiver being considered, right, So.
Speaker 2: If he was just a corner, would be would he be in consideration for the number two pick.
Speaker 5: No, that's a good way of putting cause I would say yes, though I would say yes in that regard. I say he's not a top five pick at corner. I think he's more like Will Howard.
Speaker 4: Is a Will Howard who the corner out of Mill Johnson, Will Johns Will Johnson. I say he's more like that, He's more in that that category. Then again, no, I take that back. I take I take that back. I take that back because I'm thinking about Champ Bailey or he's on the level of I mean, actually, yeah, he's on the level of a Charles Woodson more so than even a Chant Bailey. I mean he's in that category of players. So yes, yes he would. So I'll put it this way.
Speaker 5: If I think, I think he's the best corner, and I do think in a class that by the way, it's not a great wide receiver class. So between t mac luth Burden, you know, Matthew Gold's got a lot of buzz in Texas because he's so fast. You know, I don't know that you go and watch the tape and say, like, can he come in and be in meet at number one? And that's what you're usually drafting him to be. So it's kind of interesting. But I think he's one of the best, if not the best, in the wide receiver class too, So it all depends on how you view him. But I think as a cornerback without a doubt. As a wide receiver, it might be partially due to the wide receiver class though too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's a top he's a top five pick. He's a top five pick at cornerback. I'm not going to go I'm not going to go that far at receiver. Cornerback. He's tough, fat pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well, it looks like it'll be in Cleveland, So it would behoove them to try and maximize his abilities, Like if you've got that sort.
Speaker 4: Of talent, would it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right? Eitherwise, you know, am I losing sooner? All right? It is the Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you in for Dan and the guys coming up next here, though, the fakes are being exposed, they are being called out, and they are being punished in the world of football.
Speaker 4: We've got the proof right here at fso.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick Show here on Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you. Coming off top of next hour a little over ten minutes from now, somebody is discussing a real issue in the NFL when it comes to quarterbacks drafted early on these days.
Speaker 4: We'll get into that for a year on FSR. I can't believe you had just.
Speaker 2: Dismissed my caring like you are ridiculous, Bro, If you could have heard what this man just said during the break you.
Speaker 4: I can't. I can't even Brady, I'll tell the royalty that he was talking about that that Travis Hunter would be collecting on It's it's ridiculous what he said, Bro, I know this.
Speaker 2: Here's just not ridiculous. What Shortly after the show, our podcast will be going up. If you missed any of the show, be sure to check out the pod search Dan Patrick or two Pros wherever you get your podcast be sure to also follow rate and review it again. Just search Dan Patrick or two Pros wherever get your podcast. You'll see today's show posted right after we get off the air.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you can't get to everything in the world of sports or entertainment. Good thing, the guys are here to bring you in case you missed it.
Speaker 2: And for that we turn it over to our executive producer Lea lap.
Speaker 10: Good morning everybody, Good morning Jonas, Good morning LeVar, Good morning Brady.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 10: In case you miss this, the NCAA is finally cracking down uh. The Playing Rules Oversight Panel has decided that they're in stating a new rule that that states that teams will be charged with a timeout if a player requires medical attention after the ball is spotted by an official. If they don't have any remaining, they will be hit with a five yard delay of game penalty.
Speaker 4: This is of course, to.
Speaker 10: Weighe off players feigning injuries at the end of games.
Speaker 2: How's this going to be determined? And they're going to just go over and like, oh, you say you're CAF hurts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they're gonna they're gonna know if so.
Speaker 3: Here's the deal.
Speaker 5: If the balls marked all right, because what happens is usually in a hurry up scenario or when the team's playing up.
Speaker 3: Tempo, somebody of cramp or something some.
Speaker 5: Well, and what they'll do is, though they they move the ball on field and they get the call in from the sideline right like they're they're trying to slow down the offense. So the defense will like make a call from the sideline and that's when they'll then see a player go down.
Speaker 3: Right, That's what they're trying to eliminate.
Speaker 5: You know, most guys when they get hurt, they're probably gonna be down on the ground, you know, having an issue, or they might you know, go back down and kind of take a knee rather quickly.
Speaker 3: What they're trying to eliminate is the.
Speaker 5: Stuff where a guy you know, gets up, he's running back, looks over and everyone sees it on TV, but maybe not on the field or people are at the game.
Speaker 3: Then the guy goes down and exactly like he has an injury.
Speaker 5: So that's why they're trying to say, look, once the medical people come out, that dude's got to come off, and they're charge the timeout and all this stuff.
Speaker 3: So I like the rule, I will be curious to see how the implement it.
Speaker 2: Though the delay will be hard, but delayed reaction is uh, it's always well done.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be aware of this, the coaches is gonna be because the coaches being on this, on on this as well, just so you know, so they there's actually time where you practice these reps. They're gonna they're gonna get ahead of the rule like that. It's not it's gonna be predetermined, and predetermined has always been a part of it. Anyway. Every once in a while you get a dude that's too tired to get his fat ass up and get going again, and so he'll he'll fake the worm and hit the ground. But for the most part, if you're trying to slow it down or whatever it may be, they'll say this is a two minute like situation there, or they're in a two minute style offense, this, that and the other. They'll signal like you'll have a signal to know that somebody needs to go down, and you'll know who the designated person is. So it'll be interesting to see if the rule can can govern it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're trying to out the validity of a Charlie horse in this day and age again, how do you.
Speaker 4: Know if it's real or not? Like it's almost like, okay, well he's got to stay out, you know, the rest of this series or something like that.
Speaker 10: In fact, the American Football Coaches Association did try to implement that that a player would have to sit out.
Speaker 4: The entire That makes that makes more sense, and that makes more sense.
Speaker 10: They say they'll come down with a supplementary discipline if once, if they review it and they figure out that it's fake, well there you go.
Speaker 4: How much you get better electrolytes? And this one happened.
Speaker 2: I blame them. I blame the training staff. They should be held accountable. Next guy that gets a cramp that they call fake, that trainer should be fined and suspended for the next two games.
Speaker 4: Tang All right, well what else is well? Guys about this? I don't have time to play it for you.
Speaker 10: But Shane Gillis talked about his time at the Masters, said he was really trying to get into it, but he couldn't see a damn thing. He replaced that I was Shane on this one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I would have liked to hanging out with Shane though we could have talked about beers.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, we could have.
Speaker 4: Talked about other things while we weren't seeing anything A couple of beers. Yeah, sometimes nothing to see is a good thing