Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick Shot, streaming.
Speaker 1: Live on Dallascowboys dot Com and.
Speaker 4: The official Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: At now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 6: It's time for another game week here on mix Shots inside the SWBC podcast studio. It's Cowboys Wednesday. Bill Jones, Everson Walls, Mickey Spagnola, and the star of our show, Savannah Georgia.
Speaker 2: Savannah Hu Mooler.
Speaker 3: Hi, how you doing great? How are you guys doing great?
Speaker 7: Opening shot? Is it like behind both of our heads?
Speaker 2: We need to flip it. Yeah, we need to flip it YouTube. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: We need to get the good looking people.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: So we didn't scare you off yesterday, no at all. Came back for round two exactly.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, good, good to have you back.
Speaker 2: Savvy Sports on X which used to be Twitter Sports aage.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm sorry sports Savvy, I'm sorry, but yeah, sports.
Speaker 1: A bit more important to get on the text line eight one seven two nine three two nine eight and you'll get Savannah's attention.
Speaker 2: There you go and you'll get on the show that way.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 8: I was golfing with some people today and they said they were going to listen in on the show, and so they're going to call in or text in. That's the lie, he told me. So oh pressures that.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: When I showed up in park today, the parking attendant said he was in the midst of listening to mix shots and he said he was laughing. It was there was some really good stuff we were talking about. I don't know if everyone laughs along with us, right, well one guy did anyway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we do laugh at silly stuff.
Speaker 2: And so you brought up that you played golf.
Speaker 7: I did. I was at the Cowboy Course.
Speaker 2: Okay once again this week.
Speaker 7: Once again I went to.
Speaker 3: Have a cart named after you.
Speaker 8: No, I was in Tony Hills cart. I took a picture of him and sent it to him, and he sent me a picture of his granddaughter.
Speaker 7: My babysitting today.
Speaker 2: Winners head.
Speaker 8: No, oh my god, they put me on the team. Man, You know, out there it's all their fault. It is out there and he can't hardly hit the ball, but yet you can see on the score, but he's winning.
Speaker 2: This is too tall.
Speaker 7: This is too tall. He's winning.
Speaker 8: He's winning that team because he's on the stacked team. They got me a little dude named John, little dude named Paul. You know biblical, I guess. And so we're out there. You know they're no better or worse than I am. So who I can't elevate, got no shot. I can't elevate them. It's like playing that I was on you.
Speaker 2: You remember the U you need.
Speaker 8: The golf has golf turned away? They might almost died out there. It was like one hundred and fifteen degrees.
Speaker 1: Well what you want to because you want to get on Mike Donnelly's team.
Speaker 7: Who is that?
Speaker 2: Mike Donnelly, Mike Donelly.
Speaker 3: Doug Donald Doug, Yeah, having trouble when he.
Speaker 7: Was worst than you are, worst than me.
Speaker 2: You looked at me like I was gonna.
Speaker 7: Help my Mike. Do you know?
Speaker 3: It was a cross Betweenfro and.
Speaker 7: There you go? There you go too slower?
Speaker 2: He can hit too slower wide receivers or wide receiver.
Speaker 7: I said, why, but you got meant to you can hit the white wide.
Speaker 3: He can hit the ball.
Speaker 7: He can't hit the ball.
Speaker 2: How slow was Mike Rinfro? Though?
Speaker 7: Well after the injury.
Speaker 2: Son was really fast.
Speaker 8: He was fast before the injury, okay, and then like two new surgeries.
Speaker 7: Then he comes out there.
Speaker 2: And Dunley wasn't slow.
Speaker 7: No, no, what they called him a white lightning? White lightning, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 6: We had some white lightning last night in the area. Yes, on my drive in, I don't know if there was white lightning, but there was rain. And then I get here and I see football players on the football field survive the elements.
Speaker 1: Just my internet didn't survive. The lightning knocked it off. And you know what that means. You got to spend an hour with somebody on the internet trying to give you pointers on how to get it back working.
Speaker 8: You called officials, right, officials? You called an official. You didn't just get somebody on the line. That's kind of happened.
Speaker 3: No, you can't call Anyboddy chat.
Speaker 7: An official person. Okay. I thought you.
Speaker 3: Took an hour to figure out one of your boys. Yeah, took an hour.
Speaker 2: Okay, So are you prepared with anything for us?
Speaker 3: Then I got eye On't.
Speaker 7: I thought that was a builty of excuse, No, no, not at all.
Speaker 3: That was at home.
Speaker 2: We'll bring us up to speed.
Speaker 7: Well, what do you.
Speaker 3: Want to know? Let me lets tell you at the start of a new week.
Speaker 1: Mike McCarthy the practice today said that Tyler Smith would practice, Zach Martin would rehab. I think it's more of a veteran day than anything else. Tchuma adoga. It was we'll see what he can do, and he figures that. Donovan Wilson and.
Speaker 2: Let's see who else.
Speaker 1: Lewis, Jordan Lewis both would work today, and Tony Pollard because of the heavy workload, would get limited snaps.
Speaker 3: He's not limited because of injury. Just the figure in.
Speaker 1: Thirty two times that maybe they'll just back off on him up.
Speaker 7: So you talked about Tyler Smith, this is this a ramp up thing.
Speaker 1: I would imagine if he can practice, he's he's good to go.
Speaker 3: I mean he's been working on the side.
Speaker 1: Uh, so he shouldn't have lost all his conditioning and that would bode well.
Speaker 3: Since it's uh we'll see on a dot.
Speaker 1: And Donovan I would imagine if he gets in a full too full practices this week that he might be ready to go. But again, as we talked about with Lewis, you got to sit somebody. Uh if if he's you know, if he's active.
Speaker 6: So so, Jordan Lewis got in ten snaps right in the game on Sunday.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm trying to remember who the extra person was that they they put.
Speaker 3: Oh, they put Igogabyty.
Speaker 1: That's right, they put him to do so if if if Wilson's ready to go, one.
Speaker 3: Of those safeties probably have to.
Speaker 7: Well, I know.
Speaker 3: Who's that.
Speaker 7: I saw Hooker make a hell of a play on that interception.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nate, that was Vince Albreton.
Speaker 8: Yes, But first of all, Vince was in position because he's on that side of the field, so all he.
Speaker 3: Had to do was get that some one hash over but Hooker case.
Speaker 6: What happens here is we bring up plays that happened today, and then we harkened back to thirty five years ago, and.
Speaker 8: Then we were we revised history. We revived history as well.
Speaker 3: I need to know the details, right, right, we make up but he was on the opposite half.
Speaker 7: That was impressive. See, and here's the very impressive.
Speaker 1: Everybody was saying we got to worry about Hooker because did you see you know how how Garrett Wilson ran away.
Speaker 3: From him, Well, he beat him off off the ball. He stayed with them the whole away.
Speaker 1: The problem was he started off five yards behind him and he finished five yards behind him.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't like he got small.
Speaker 2: They were both running a four to three nine.
Speaker 1: That's right, absolutely, But it wasn't that he was too slow. He couldn't catch up, is what the deal was. Well, and that guy's pretty fast.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, no, he's a stud. But I'm back to hooker. I just think that the play that he made was very exceptional. I know that he put a little loft on the ball talking about Zach Wilson, but to make that play, and not only did he make it over there in time, If I'm going over there, I'm going to be trying to catch it up top. He had enough time to catch it in his in his stomach. That's hard to do. That means that he was there within plenty of time. And both Nata and I talked about how much ground he covered. That's extremely unusual these days to see a safety cover that much ground and make a play on the ball.
Speaker 3: I think I can't remember.
Speaker 1: McCarthy made a point of that, saying that that was a really good player a safety, because your Diggs was doing the Neverson Walls over there biting on the double move, and he was beat badly because he was asked. Yeah, he was asked about about Gilmore because.
Speaker 3: People so you know, they got these crazy polls out there, and one of them was.
Speaker 1: They they want their guys covering all the teams to what's the weakness that you're worried about that team?
Speaker 3: Well, you can't say none, right, you got to have something to come up.
Speaker 1: And I think somebody said the Cowboys safety position, and it was like, why isn't seriously the safety position. You got to do better than that, right, And then of course.
Speaker 7: Just let you know they got nothing else that's a compliment.
Speaker 1: It would have been the tight ends. And the tight end position is not all about catching the ball. It's about blocking. And this tight end group is blocking in two games much better than they did last year. And those guys where two of them were rookies last year and Dalton Schultz was a liability in the blocking part of the game, So, okay, is that your weakness? And then it's well, how about the backups on the offensive line? Well, you know what they had to play, and you know it wasn't perfect, but it wasn't bad. And I guarantee you most teams don't have more than six good offensive linemen on their team, and Monday Night with four teams, that was a good example.
Speaker 3: Some don't even have five good ones on the team. So then it had to be wow, they don't have a power running back.
Speaker 1: Well we started that long time ago, but there's other ways to skin that cat.
Speaker 3: And they what they did.
Speaker 1: They didn't choose to use their speed inside to five like they did in the first game. So I still think he was Sandbagan. Things were in control.
Speaker 3: Why show Arizona what we got?
Speaker 6: I think too that until it got very late in that game, it became a three score game. The only way the Jets were getting back in that game was a pick six.
Speaker 2: Or a scoop and score.
Speaker 6: It was still a two score game, and so you're not going to call plays that have any risk to them at all at that point because they could not move the ball against the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 1: And now not everybody can't say, well, I don't know about the kicking game.
Speaker 3: Guys made seven out of seven. Okay, before you I'm not jinxing.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's my last year.
Speaker 8: I was really feeling made her her. I was feeling it, and then all of a sudden he goes off the rails.
Speaker 3: Wasn't all of a sudden?
Speaker 1: It was the nineteenth game of the season.
Speaker 6: My point was, Okay, what is it all of a sudden the most important part of the season.
Speaker 3: You check his bank account, Savannah, I'm sure you saw that. What did you think when you saw missing those extra points?
Speaker 7: Oh? Gosh?
Speaker 9: I said, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 9: But I'm actually very happy with Brandon Aubrey. So far, so far, so good, So far, so good.
Speaker 7: And that's the way. So far, so good.
Speaker 1: Right, you want to temper this just you know what, and to a point on the entire Cowboys team to and oh, so far so good?
Speaker 3: Right man? These people got the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Going to the super Bowl and horses on there. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, I want to see what happens in San France. You show me what happens in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Well, you just get me through Arizona.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 2: We are taking your text are you. I may have won you may have one.
Speaker 6: I may have won one.
Speaker 3: Trying to decide how good I'm trying.
Speaker 9: I'm assessing which one we should do. But I think This one's actually a prediction. It's from Mike from Maryland. He predicts Micah Parsons will break Michael Strayhorn sack record this year.
Speaker 10: Yes or no?
Speaker 7: Straight hand? What is the record?
Speaker 2: Twenty eight sacks?
Speaker 3: No, No, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: They look it up twenty they look at up twenty eight sounds.
Speaker 6: Someone said something about twenty eight. No, what twenty eight was someone throughout.
Speaker 9: Twenty eight like Mike from Maryland.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, that's not right now, got it wrong?
Speaker 2: All right, you'll keep vamping you.
Speaker 1: And if I remember the last one was bs right, Farve just fell down for him.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 8: Farv is a strange bird. He's always about getting taking the short Bote.
Speaker 3: Twenty two and a half, okay, twenty three was close, and he has.
Speaker 6: What too, He's got three three three os is tied with him?
Speaker 3: Is like wait a minute, yeah, Rossa said, you'll talk about.
Speaker 7: I love it all right.
Speaker 6: I've got a question that we will pose when we come back. It has to do with one Tony Pollard when we continue on mix shots.
Speaker 11: In just a moment, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: And they snapped the press guy who looks white, it's not there. He escaped flapped. He'll look for a punch down.
Speaker 11: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 7: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere?
Speaker 4: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 2: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 4: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've ved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory dropping, there's no topping of school pepsi.
Speaker 2: Finish nachos better with pepsi. That's what I like.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can cracks, a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the Tree, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite the only peer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Milier Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas, TOMC shuts.
Speaker 9: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Man that was playing so perfectly right All right? Podcast text line open eight one seven, two nine oh three two nine eight. If Mickey gives us permission, we'll take a phone call from one of Everson's golf partners at eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. I got asked a question today that I laughed at. I'll go, so I'll go ahead and offer it up. Here are the Cowboys given Tony Pollard the ball too much?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Wow, here we go.
Speaker 2: That's what I That's what I said. Okay.
Speaker 6: For four years we complained that we're not getting to the ball enough, and now we're giving you the ball too much. Thirty two touches in the game the other day.
Speaker 1: So his carries in two games are thirty nine. So that's fifteen a game, right, So I mean twenty Sorry, sorry, twenty a game. I was thinking thirty thirty, twenty twenty half.
Speaker 3: Twenty a game. That's because I didn't have to take it. I tested out.
Speaker 1: Excuse us, Sorry, I think I shut you guys down.
Speaker 7: Yes, so you're talking about that.
Speaker 8: They told me that I should stay in Advanced composition even though I was in the wrong.
Speaker 3: Class like lighting.
Speaker 8: Yes, they said, hey, you're not supposed to be in this class, but damn you're doing well.
Speaker 7: Okay, so you said, I need the need the grades.
Speaker 3: Back then, they sat people and they didn't get gretes.
Speaker 1: Right, that doesn't apply anymore, no person, no playing, not in college. And as long as you got an nil, there you go, baby, right, because who's ever paying that guy is going to call the school and go, oh wait a minute, I'm invested in this guy.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so twenty carries a game, that's about right now.
Speaker 3: Yesterday that touches.
Speaker 1: Well carries and then he and then he's got nine catches so that's another what five again, so twenty five touches a game?
Speaker 3: It was thirty two.
Speaker 8: I believe what was Zeke doing? What was his his load on average?
Speaker 1: I mean, I would imagine he was in the twenties. I think he Zeke was the last Cowboys running back to have twenty five carries and it was just a couple of years ago, I think, so, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's the guy, he's no. One guy.
Speaker 2: Years.
Speaker 8: Again, being a team sport because of what the defense is doing, they are giving a chance to run the ball more and get more touches.
Speaker 1: And because they've got the lead, it's like okay, that's usually fourth quarter you're grinding away right.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 6: Zeke led the league in attempts his rookie year twenty sixteen with three hundred and twenty two rushing attempts and he had thirty two catches that year, so that's three fifty four touches. In twenty eighteen, he led the league with three hundred four attempts, also led the league in rushing both of those years, and he had seventy seven receptions too, So he had three hundred eighty one touches.
Speaker 3: In sixteen or sixteen games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so, and three hundred one attempts in twenty nineteen, another Pro Bowl season for him. Last year, Zeke was at two hundred and thirty one attempts.
Speaker 1: So running backs, the way they're treating him now, it's a lease car.
Speaker 3: Use them up to turn him in, Go get another one.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 6: And so last year Zeke had two hundred and thirty one carries and Pollard had one hundred and ninety three. And Pollard had thirty nine catches and Zeke had seventeen catches, So two hundred and thirty two touches for Pollard and Zeke had two hundred and forty eight. It was almost an even split.
Speaker 7: Last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's less than twenty twenty games.
Speaker 6: Touches over seventeen games. Well, and they didn't they miss some games in there too, but over.
Speaker 1: Seventeen twenty times seventeen would be three forty, right, So yeah.
Speaker 7: They still doing this. I just turned out.
Speaker 6: But Christian McCaffrey with San Francisco is used a lot, both running the ball and receiving. There was I had a comparison last year. If you extrapolated Tony Pollard's production over the same number of carries issued McCaffrey had or touches at McCaffrey had, they were very similar players. Now, the issue with McCaffrey in Carolina, he got hurt. Now he's been he's healthy again in San Francisco, and they are riding him like crazy. Last at the end of last year and at the start of this year.
Speaker 8: What's his contract situation, because that's usually what things get dicey for running backs.
Speaker 7: Has he recently signed.
Speaker 8: Because if he's coming up for a contract, I'd love to see how they treat him versus the way the guy.
Speaker 7: Well that.
Speaker 1: Was one of the reasons take Carolina traded him because they didn't want to pay the big box running back. I can't remember what San Francisco ended up doing. I see where Cleveland signed uh Hunt today?
Speaker 6: Kareem Hunt? Yes, and so obviously Nick Chubb out for the season. And you know, even even with a guy like bar it's a sprained ankle, it's not a high ankle spray, right, you know, he's likely missing the Thursday night game. We'll see if he's able to come back. But just running backs, you know, they get hurt.
Speaker 2: They're getting hit a lot. There a lot of wear and tear on a running back.
Speaker 1: Well, every time he carried the ball, chances are unless you're scoring a touchdown.
Speaker 3: And even not then you're going to get hit. So as you're running out of bound.
Speaker 2: So as far as so, yeah, what is the ideal?
Speaker 6: See I think the other day, you know, without Pollard having a training camp, I mean I don't I wasn't concerned about thirty two touches the other day. Yeah, there's a point in the game that you could have given the ball more to dabble in.
Speaker 2: The second half.
Speaker 6: But again, daddle Is doesn't have a whole lot of experience playing in regular season games.
Speaker 2: And like I mentioned.
Speaker 6: Before, you're at a point in that game. It's a two score game, one fumble, Yeah, and so you want to give it to the most reliable guy who's fresh and and you're also establishing Tony for the long haul that he can be able to take the punishment.
Speaker 2: Over the entire season. And so I think it's I didn't have any problem at all with it. The other day.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many snaps they had in that game, by the way, eighty something eighty seven. Yeah, that's that's like seventy would be like really good.
Speaker 3: Sixty some would be averaged.
Speaker 1: They had eighty seven snaps, and as I think McCarthy pointed out, they had five possessions of at least twelve plays something like that.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So what number would you be comfortable with for the duration of the season.
Speaker 14: I would be twenty twenty to twenty Yeah, twenty, because I don't want the touches to get away, get in the way of his speed.
Speaker 6: So you look at if you're looking at twenty touches, it's fifteen carries and five catches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, say it's that.
Speaker 2: So you're good with doubt Old and duce Vaughn with the rest.
Speaker 1: Of the cause I think we saw that there will be packages for Douce Vaughn to take advantage of.
Speaker 7: His spy had the.
Speaker 2: Package for him in this game.
Speaker 6: He wound up with three carries for sixteen yards and three catches for sixteen Yeah.
Speaker 1: And as McCarthy pointed out, I think it was after we walked off, like he calls plays for players to take advantage of what they can do. So I think there were ten snaps where they went four wide receivers and it was like, well, why.
Speaker 3: Are you doing that?
Speaker 1: Well, we got guys that got speed. I got to figure out a way to get Turpin on the field. I want my top three wide receivers on the field.
Speaker 7: Turpin by the way, right, Yeah, good carry.
Speaker 3: And what if?
Speaker 1: And you know, we saw it in training camp. They had formations where Deuce was on the field with Turpin and two of the wide receivers.
Speaker 2: On Christian mccaff free.
Speaker 6: He signed a four year, sixty four million dollar deal a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: He's got two years.
Speaker 6: Left on it through the well three years if you can count this year, twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, twenty Carolin, twenty five, twenty seven.
Speaker 6: And well those are void years on the last two years or void years twenty six and twenty seven, so it's really through twenty five.
Speaker 7: And they signed it in Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, prior to the trade, and so.
Speaker 7: They signed him and then they didn't want to pay him.
Speaker 3: So basically because he got hurt. Okay, and it was like okay.
Speaker 6: Carolina was change in regime, changing head coach, and so there you go.
Speaker 3: Well, let's put it this way. Pollard wants all they can give him.
Speaker 1: He's in a contract year, right, and he chose to be in the contract year because he could have signed a long term deal. So I'm thinking he's thinking, give me all you got because I got to show people what.
Speaker 7: I can do.
Speaker 6: And McCaffrey's cap number is fourteen million this year. Well this year it's three point four million. The next couple of years it's fourteen million. And they already work it and that's why.
Speaker 2: There's a void years and it's contract going forward. So anyway, text line, I have a.
Speaker 9: Quick little one. It's for our matchup against Arizona this weekend. Jeff from Maryland wants to know will Sunday's game in Arizona be a home crowd for the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: I agree, Well, you know.
Speaker 3: That's kind of changed as long though, as.
Speaker 7: Long as you're winning, right then the Cowboy fans you.
Speaker 2: Can hear them, they pack it out.
Speaker 7: But once you start, once they start coming back. Like you know, we talked about the Me and Jimmy Johnson interaction.
Speaker 8: They were yelling pretty pretty well for their hometown team.
Speaker 1: At that time, Arizona wasn't very good. Well, here's the other thing I heard, not that they're good right now, we're that day. Here's the other thing that I heard from a fan who lives in the Phoenix area, a long time resident there. He said that, you know, going back in the day when they had the blackout rule and everything, yeah, you.
Speaker 6: Got Cowboy games all the time. And that was a big reason why Arizona fans were Cowboys fans, is because that was the team they were watching. You, I mean, all over the country, yeah, but in Arizona, southwest part of the country, as opposed to say Buffalo or someplace, you're not going to get the Cowboys every day.
Speaker 7: We got that St.
Speaker 2: Louis did, and that's roughly the same part of that country.
Speaker 1: But what happened is when there were no teams close. When Text put the radio network together, he put a station on the Cowboys radio network in Tucson and Phoenix. So it was almost like the Cubs on WGN.
Speaker 3: That's what they got.
Speaker 1: They could listen to the Cowboys fan games and then when they showed up there, they had already invested twenty years of Cowboy loyalty because of that radio network. And so that and Al Paso being closer to Phoenix than it is to Dallas, and all those Cowboy fans in El Paso would drive to Phoenix for the games, and so when the Cowboys got there, that was the only game that would get black not blacked out, because they would sell out Sun Devil Stadium.
Speaker 3: That was I want to say eighty thousand at that time. Now it's sixty two.
Speaker 6: And the other thing this year is Arizona coming off a four and thirteen season and there's not a lot of hope for this Arizona team this year.
Speaker 1: So and they're starting quarterback yeah, not playing Yeah, all right, Michael in California.
Speaker 2: You are up here on Makeshot So well, Michael, Hey, what's.
Speaker 5: Going on everybody? And I just want to say thank you very much for having me on. It's a pleasure. Man. I'm a big fist day. I just want to I like to fast that, uh you know, I think it's really great to see your offense, Blinky, especially the fact that we didn't even have most of our starters in the pre season. I'm not gonna lie, you know. I'm not a dad fresh guy haters man. I'm a big family man. But I did kind of doubt him with the with the Tops three. But I just think that this year that there's a really different buzz above him. I like the way mis McCarthy is running a offense and also this defense. I think that we're wit to see something that's gonna be historical at the end of the year, and it just feels like a really special year. I think they're gonna put it all together. And Michael Barson's man, his play seecret himself, but I think that he's gonna solidify himself as the best player in the game currently. I was a little sulky beflen when the three Game Show Jason Garrett came out and said that Saint Paul Barston was the best player on the field, But I said, thank you very much. I appreciate you guys coming on Everton Wallas. I'm a big fan of yards. Man, it's a pleasure to see. I'm kind of starts struggle right now talking God. Lets you all have a good day.
Speaker 7: Let's go God blessed as well.
Speaker 2: Mom Man All right, Michael Rvin in California.
Speaker 6: We appreciate it, and the Cowboy pep rally continues in a moment here on Mixshots.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 13: What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagsky the Smoker, Miller Light and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Light the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football taste like Miller time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: And they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slapped. He'll look for a punch down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 11: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 7: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 2: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho Nirvana, because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping.
Speaker 2: Of school PEPSI.
Speaker 4: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 3: Mixed Shots.
Speaker 9: Do you eat, sleep, and breathe the Dallas Cowboys. Tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan, and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another today at Dallas Cowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 6: All right back here on Mixed Shots in Savannah with some breaking news out there.
Speaker 3: We have a breaking news sounder.
Speaker 2: We need one, We do need one.
Speaker 9: Micah Parsons has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week.
Speaker 2: Shocking love it?
Speaker 3: You mean they saw his stats from that game?
Speaker 6: Hopefully they just they watched the game. They could have named him the Defensive Player of the Week right then and there at six point thirty on Sunday after Sunday evening.
Speaker 1: So somebody at pointed this out to me, So he got Defensive Player of the Week. The special Teams Player of the Week was not Brandon Aubrey, who went five for five on field goals and ended up scoring sixteen points in the game.
Speaker 3: It was some punter.
Speaker 1: Who got three touchbacks on four punts, and so somebody asked me about it. I said, well, the reason is they weren't going to give two awards to the Cowboys in the same week.
Speaker 11: That.
Speaker 1: Yes, the NFL spreads that thing out. They're the ones that named those things, so they manipulated to spread it around necessary.
Speaker 7: I mean, we're grown men. So, by the way, that was.
Speaker 6: Jake Kamarda of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week.
Speaker 7: That's a bunch of craps.
Speaker 1: So I've been meaning to tell you guys this. It was, As it turned out, it was kind of funny. So on the when the guy mentioned Jason Garrett what he said about Saquon Barkley, Well, when I think they had five guys picking the game on their pre their pregame show, and everybody picked the Giants except Jason Garrett.
Speaker 3: So I'm in the hallway doing.
Speaker 1: My post game update for television, and I was in the midst of pointing out how what the Cowboys did was not It was a surprise to of people, but not a surprise to us. We saw it coming in training camp and I was in the midst of saying, and I don't know what the timing of this was, saying that Jason Garrett was the only one to pick the Cowboys to win the game among that crew, and I felt somebody walking by and they hit me on the shoulder.
Speaker 2: I bet it was Jason.
Speaker 1: Then no, as it turns out, because I didn't turn to look, I figured it was one of the Cowboys players messing with me. I get a text from one of the guys of the stations and next star that I do stuff with, and he goes, was Rodney Harrison just messing with you? Or does he know who you are?
Speaker 3: And I said he must have walked by when.
Speaker 2: I said, Fortunately he didn't hit you like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, he probably wanted to hit me right.
Speaker 7: By the way.
Speaker 6: Jake kamarda his he had four punts and Tampa Bay's went over Chicago fifty two point eight average with a long seventy two, and three of his punts were down inside the twenty yard line, so that's how he got Special Teams Player of the Week over Brandon Aubrey, who had.
Speaker 1: Five field field goals five him and every kick.
Speaker 7: And you know a number of points that's important.
Speaker 1: And you know, you know that seventy two yard punt probably rolled twenty yards? Right, you didn't kick it seventy two yards in.
Speaker 3: A fair catch?
Speaker 7: I don't know. We gotta see. Yeah, don't say that unless you approved.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, By the way, I'm supposing a shout out to the w NBA Dallas Wings who won their playoff.
Speaker 6: Series last time, first time in franchise history in Dallas, which is seven years. They advanced to the second round of the playoffs.
Speaker 7: That is impressive.
Speaker 2: Awesome, our neighbors.
Speaker 3: What was really impressive.
Speaker 1: They fell behind at some point early in the second quarter by almost twenty points. That was in the first game, first game they got. They fell behind last night, too, didn't they.
Speaker 2: I turned it on.
Speaker 3: They were up by twenty oh No that by then the first quarter.
Speaker 1: They weren't playing gay well yeah, but yeah, I watched most of that game.
Speaker 2: I thought it was cool.
Speaker 6: At the end, Latricia trammel Is, the head coach, started tearing up. Yeah, so it was cool at the end of the game, they were showing her on the sideline and she was wiping away tears and the game wasn't over yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to know.
Speaker 6: Her story, twenty years ago, she was the head coach at Denton Ryan High School.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 6: And this is her first she's been a college head coach before. This is her first year as a WNBA head coach. And so she was with Derek Fisher in Los Angeles as an assistant coach prior to this job, and so I thought it was really cool.
Speaker 2: But anyway, they're moving on to the next.
Speaker 6: Round of the playoffs. And by the way, the Rangers got a win last night and are now just half game back of the Astros in the West, tied with the Mariners.
Speaker 1: So here's how I guess limited I am. I'm watching the Wings play and listening to the Rangers game on the radio.
Speaker 2: Because entertainment, because you don't have ballet sports.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 2: I'm the same way I haven't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm at work so often in the evening that I have not convinced the wife to let me get off of the cable system we're on.
Speaker 2: So anyway, so.
Speaker 9: The Rangers are good.
Speaker 6: We love it and By the way, you can catch Savannah at Dallas Stars games, right.
Speaker 9: You can. I do help with all the Dallas Stars games, all the fun things with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Stars Stars media day today.
Speaker 9: Yes, this morning, they're very early, bright and early six am.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that is very doing.
Speaker 3: What Stars with all.
Speaker 9: The little things with their start in production. And yep they play in Cedar Park on Sunday a pre season next week.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: How are we doing on the text line?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 9: You know, I have to be honest here. The text line is not not too live answering.
Speaker 2: We're answering so many questions.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we're giving information before they can even take the questions.
Speaker 2: Full of information here, nickey on your legal pad.
Speaker 1: I had something over here I thought was pretty interesting. Ceed Lamb has accumulated one hundred and thirty seven yards of his two hundred and twenty receiving yards as run after catch.
Speaker 3: That's pretty like appressive.
Speaker 8: But he was always knew he was, Yeah, we always he was always known.
Speaker 1: But it kind of shows you what kind of passes they're throwing to him, right, because they get hitting.
Speaker 8: Him on the run and get him in space right, giving him some room to.
Speaker 1: Move and that's why a lot of his his snaps have been in the slot.
Speaker 3: And we talked about it.
Speaker 1: Do we talk about it Sunday Sauce Gardener doesn't go with one receiver, so if he moves into slot, sausages out there.
Speaker 8: And I don't understand why I did they have that much confidence in the other corner back because most corners struggle, by the way. You gotta you gotta play the slot. You mean, you can't be that that. You know what is?
Speaker 6: What was it?
Speaker 8: What I'm looking for? When you just do one thing good, you know he's got to do do more. It's gotta be more.
Speaker 3: Well, go to the other side, you can.
Speaker 7: You gotta be able to go to the other side. You gotta be able to cover the slot.
Speaker 8: I'll say, it doesn't matter, did you You damn right? I had to, And I didn't like it either because it was kind of weird. I played the left side or the whole time. Yeah, but that wasn't that wasn't even my strong side. But I didn't have a choice because tennis is over here. So then I had to become a left corner because the right corner is my net, your position, and you know when you go in that slot, you know.
Speaker 7: You have to change what foot you put forward.
Speaker 8: You know you have to be like we talked about last year, Well, I thought there was a weirir that a left tackle can't play right tackle. You know, you know, as far as cornerbacks go, that should not even be an issue. You just play man to man, whatever side and whatever position you're in.
Speaker 3: So when you're in the slot, your disadvantages.
Speaker 8: You got the entire field to cover. There's you can't read the split. You maybe could read the split from the slot to the tackle, but you can't like have one receiver on one side and say, okay, this wide receiver was lining up on the sideline, he's gonna.
Speaker 7: Be running an inside route or a deep route.
Speaker 8: He's lined up tight, he's gonna be running outside route or a deep route.
Speaker 7: You can't tell that.
Speaker 8: In the slot, he can go anywhere he wants to go, and most of the time he has time to do it. He's gonna have options. Like if you're inside, then he's just gonna break outside. You outside, he's gonna break inside.
Speaker 3: And you can't get your hands on them.
Speaker 1: You can, you better, you better, but you're not on the line of scrimming.
Speaker 7: You can be on the line of scrims.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes you can, okay, And.
Speaker 8: That was the best place for me to be because if I'm not going to beat them there, I'm not going to beat them down there because I didn't have the speed, so I would negate them at the line if I could.
Speaker 3: And he didn't have the sideline to.
Speaker 7: Help you out. No, no sideline.
Speaker 3: Can you double in the slot? Is it harder to.
Speaker 8: No, it's easier to double in, but you'll you'll have to show it sooner, you know, depending on where he lines up, the safety is going to show it.
Speaker 3: Is that why a lot of times the slot receiver.
Speaker 8: Goes in motion to because they want to see if it's man to man and who follows right? If no one follows them, most likely it's a zone. That's why I was so confused. You don't run with the with the receiver and man to man. If you got two receivers over there, you got two cornerbacks, then what does the other cornerback do? He stays over here on the tight end.
Speaker 3: I've seen that I don't. I always wonder why I.
Speaker 7: Don't like that?
Speaker 8: That is that is that is just easy pickings. For the offense because now you have a strong safety. And that's where Butch Johnson used to make his living in the slot because at the time they wouldn't put three corners in, they would have a safety your nickel. The nickelback was not always the best cornerback. Right now, you put your best cornerback most likely in the slot, you're gonna have a good player in the slot.
Speaker 7: Like Bland.
Speaker 8: He's he's in the slot. He's not our best corner, but he's a damn good slot cover man.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: And that's why Woody was such a highbred player, because you got a safety.
Speaker 8: No one knew Woody could do that when he first came into the league, right and probably wood he didn't like doing it, but he sacrificed himself and put himself down there because he was no one else could do it. I'm a safety. This is supposed to be a mismatch in the slot, all Bus Johnson and not. That just didn't happen when he came down because he's Darren Woodson.
Speaker 1: So that Speaking of Woody, they released their one hundred and seventy three guys up for a Hall of Fame this year. What he is one of them, uh, but also from the Cowboys Romo Stepnovsky, Leroy Glover and Big Nate Newton, big name, seventy cut.
Speaker 8: The most underrated offensive lineman we've had, I'm sorry, the most underrated, I think because his attitude is the way it is.
Speaker 7: We don't they don't take him too seriously. Nate was a dog.
Speaker 1: Now these are the guys that are eligied six time Pro Bowl, right, thank you. It's not the it's not the the seniors division.
Speaker 7: Yet we never talked about Nate as far as one of our best.
Speaker 1: Six PROB time write six pro should if I remember correctly echo.
Speaker 6: In here Cowboys left guard Tyler Smith with a hamstring, wide receiver Brandon Cook's and knees. Safety Donovan Wilson a caf all practicing today during the report?
Speaker 3: Did it?
Speaker 6: I knew I was forgetting some Zach Martin and jay Ron Kurse not in at ten?
Speaker 3: It's what's wrong with jay Ron? He finished the game, didn't he?
Speaker 2: Let should say?
Speaker 3: I guess we'll have to wait for an injury that's right.
Speaker 8: Wait for your injury report telling us all this stuff. You're asking Bill, what was going on?
Speaker 1: I'm in here with you no one's watching practice right now.
Speaker 9: I wonder if it's still raining.
Speaker 2: It's not appeared to be. It appears then.
Speaker 3: You see through that wall.
Speaker 7: It would be great if that wasn't there.
Speaker 6: We can just look looking at damp concrete as I looked through that wall, damp concrete.
Speaker 2: On the side of the field. But other than that, everything is good to go. So they're going.
Speaker 3: They were outside when we walked in, right, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. What that they're outside with the rain?
Speaker 7: Is it raining? It's not raining?
Speaker 2: It was what field?
Speaker 1: So well, you never know in the the grass in Arizona might be soggy.
Speaker 3: You say, outside too long?
Speaker 8: Right, The coolest thing, I'm sorry, that is the coolest thing ever. Might be the best turf to play on. If you can just roll it out and roll it in that that's.
Speaker 2: What they want. They want every NFL team to do.
Speaker 7: And that way we can get rid of the basket, all right, doesn't.
Speaker 1: Know you would have to raise the stadium to get the that's right.
Speaker 3: Grass to roll in underneath.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't care what you do.
Speaker 3: That ain't happening. That stuff stick to.
Speaker 7: By the way, and that's what you want.
Speaker 1: It's amount I mean it's it's it's a foot or so deep sod. Yeah, not the not the grass, but the dirt. And of course yeah it's pretty heavy.
Speaker 11: Ye.
Speaker 7: Never he never the yard in his life.
Speaker 2: Never o my yards. Still never listen to spirit. Okay, that does not have Neil very this edition of.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow Tomorrow, we're going heavy on Cardinals, Study up, study up on the card We haven't we have an insider. Oh yes, that's right, somebody's calling Danny Surrect.
Speaker 10: Nice amazing, Yes, great, right.
Speaker 3: Off the top, so be ready on Arizona course.
Speaker 2: It was going to be Danny White, Danny Hey, I got whoa?
Speaker 7: I got both?
Speaker 1: I got both names right, Okay, let's mark that down all right, and we will chat at you again tomorrow here on Mixed Shot Cowboys.
Speaker 12: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.