Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, oh, I haven't said that in a while. And we're back Brown Ambition, Manny and Tiffany. We're still looking for that intro music. Mandy like I need you to do a rap.
Speaker 2: I've kind of moved on. I feel like okay, I feel okay. The people like it. I love how you got really deep with.
Speaker 1: The Hey hey, I feel like you went a little.
Speaker 2: Very Arry Manilo, Wait.
Speaker 1: Which one? Is it?
Speaker 2: Very white?
Speaker 1: You're very white? Okay I almost said very black, but I was like, I'm pretty sure that's how the name. So yeah, so some what's buzzy? Well, first of all, I have to have to have I saw you posted it on our Brown Ambition Facebook page and I literally giggled, watched it again, giggled, and send it to everybody.
Speaker 2: Black girl, I know what?
Speaker 1: Do you know? What I mean? So the Today Show all, MG, what is happening over there? So do you want to tell the story or should I?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I didn't know it was just it just happened this week. I thought this was like an old clip or something, but apparently, poor Savannah Guthrie. They did a segment on The Today Show about summer hairstyles and you have three beautiful women of color sitting on stools and they're about to get one minute hairstyles. First of all, you tell any brown woman she can do her hair in one minute, and she will tell you that it is a lie, a lie, a both face lie.
Speaker 1: Unless you have locks, and even then it's just to take them out of a point deal.
Speaker 2: I can tell that producer did not do her fact checking because data and statistics what I've shown takes at least seventeen minutes to get anything resembling a good hairstyle, exactly. I digress. Anyway, So you see this woman. I don't know who she is or like what her business is, you know how she got on national television. But all you see is the girl in the middle getting the most ridiculous like hairstyle ever, and she's just like talking really fast over this poor girl, this poor model's head as she's yanking her curls and messing them up, like you see. What kills me is you see the expression of the model's face and it is like such a fake smile, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because she knows, she knows she can feel it. You know, first of all, she came out there with beautiful curls.
Speaker 2: Like it fine.
Speaker 1: It looked fine, and it's all the woman had to do was maybe a bobby pin on each side and like maybe scooped it up. We would have been good, but she forceived no Mandy. When she said I'm gonna do a side ponytail, I nearly peed my pants. A side ponytail. First of all, what is she five? And then she proceeded to pull this girl's this woman's hair into the craziest looking and like, you know, she didn't have the lengths first of all, for a ponytail. If that wasn't bad enough, she took her bag and these curls that were already done. There's a you know, like if you're gonna like separate a woman of colors curls, you do so gingerly, so you keep the bounce. No no, she pulled them apart and just frizze them up. I literally I couldn't even breathe. I was laughing so hard. I was like, I have to send this to everyone. I mean, people have been posting it saying Jesus be Offence Essence posted it. It was like what is going on? But yeah, everyone is like I can't I can't. I looked it up. I did some research and I can't. I just can't.
Speaker 2: She looks like Patty Mannaise from Doug after she was done with her.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's not a cute look.
Speaker 2: Then you just see her face because I have to move. It's only supposed to take a minute, right, So they go to the next girl and all you see is this poor model like being The camera's panning away and she's just looking horrified, like what have I allowed to be happened to happen to me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who?
Speaker 2: Good touch? Bad touch? Everybody? You don't have to stand for that. You don't walk off the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just get up and say I won't. I won't.
Speaker 2: We have to find out who she is. If you're out there, hair model, yes, and you want to speak your mind, this is a safe split, This is a safe space.
Speaker 1: You can do that here. Oh my god. So if you are so, I've been letting my dream Dreamcatchers know that we are. You know we're here. I haven't been like sharing us as much. So if you're a new DreamCatcher, say hello, like comments, leave us a review on iTunes, the dream Catchers.
Speaker 2: I have a pretty good feeling a good chunk of our listeners are dream cutchers, and I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 1: And I'm hoping that like some new ones because you know now that I put them in a goodie email. So this is our goodie every week on top of whatever else I send out, Like in the goodie email. We started it this week, so so hopefully we have some new folks to listen and they in and they enjoy. Make sure you follow Mandy cause sometimes you guys will tag me. I'm like, where's Mandy? So make sure you follow Mandy Money right on Instagram. I'm right here.
Speaker 2: I've been here all along.
Speaker 1: Mandy with an eye though, Mandy Money on Instagram. So yeah, because someone tagged me in something and it was hilarious. They're like, I'm listening and they tagged me. I was like, tag Mandy.
Speaker 2: Thanks, always looks out for me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, any other buzzworthies, I'm like looking through like our feed, like what else is buzzy?
Speaker 2: Well? I want to go ahead and tease. We have a really special guest on the show today that we talked about last week. Yes, our first guest in a while, miss Keana, and we've had our conversation with her, get a tissue. I'm just gonna say, get a tissue, grab a friend, call your mom, do whatever you can before because this interview will just give you life and inspiration in a good way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it will. It just it'll give you the warm and fuzzies, and then it's gonna make you say I can do it too.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna tease it and say that she may or may not be a DC. Is that what you call yourselves?
Speaker 1: A DC DC DreamCatcher? So we don't have to be high. We've got the dream catchers. I like it, right?
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: This week at work? I yeah, I've been leaning in and I'm feeling the pain. It's a lot. I just feel really overwhelmed. I'm not gonna lie. Work has been overwhelming overwhelming. Okay, yeah, so it's been I don't know if but if you've ever well people out there, you've been running your business for a while, but when you start a new job the first it's always kind of like there's a transition period in the beginning, and there's just so much to do and everyone's pulling you in different directions, and it's kind of it's taking me a little while to sort of like focus, like a little bit longer than I would have liked to say, but I'm trying to be a little bit nice to myself and just say, Okay, it's a brand new job, like you'll get the hang of it, and I am. But since we're not going to do a tip section later, I want to do my little book recommendation now, okay, because this week I was really struggling, like I was like, oh my god, I don't know if I can handle this. I was like working twelve hours and coming home late, and I downloaded this book on my kindle. It's called The First ninety Days. Now I know I'm sixty days late, but I'm catching up this book. Let me make sure I got that. It's like a it's one of the it's constantly on the bestseller business books. But it's not the kind of book that's like super sexy that you would, you know, just pick up at Barnes and Noble. But if you are starting a new job, or you've been recently promoted or something, I would absolutely recommend getting this book. The First ninety Days is by Michael Watkins, and it's been out for like a decade, but it's still like the advice is so good. It was recently updated, and it basically helps you navigate your first ninety days on a new job, like whether you've been promoted or you did what I did and you're switching companies completely. And I think one of the things that resonated for me so well that he says in the book. And this is a guy who has worked. He's a Harvard Business School professor, so he knows this stuff.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: He talks about how when you start a new job, especially if it's like a step up. So for me, I was going from being a reporter to now running a team and like being a manager for the first time. And he said that what we so often do is we focus on the thing we were good at that like made us really good at her old job. So for me, that was being a writer, and then we lose sight of like all the other stuff that is sort of like part of your new job, and then it can kind of lead you to fail. And I was sort of seeing that in myself. When you get scared, you go back to what you know, and I was focusing a little bit on, you know, a little too much on writing when I should have been focusing on other stuff that was sort of more scary to me. Okay, so he kind of like he like shook me, shook me awake a little bit this week, and I'm feeling like I'm getting back on track.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good and honestly too, sometimes, you know, I've I was talking to my sister the other day because she was like so disappointed that she applied for something and she didn't get it. She's trying to switch jobs, and I told her, you know, sometimes it's it's the overwhelming feeling that helps you grow and push to the next level.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, if you're not terrified, then it's not worth.
Speaker 1: It exactly, and you just you're And I told her, like, you know, there's always going to be something that makes you say, oh my god, I can't I totally can't do this, and then you'll stretch and you'll grow, and you'll grow in your stretch, and then that thing that used to be so hard won't be so hard, but it'll be something new. And I said, you know what will happen is you'll get better at managing the emotion of I don't know how to do this, honestly, I don't know how to do anything at the budget East, Like everything we knew that we do is always like there's no precedent for it as far as in my life, you know, so there's always like, so, how do you build an online academy?
Speaker 2: And I don't know, but you figure it out. How do you start a podcast?
Speaker 1: I didn't know exactly, you didn't know you were, Like, so I did some googles and but you figure it out if you want it, and so yeah, I just think that, like I it's okay not to know, it's okay to be overwhelmed, but you won't always feel like that, and putting one foot in front of the other really can create something magical.
Speaker 2: Totally, and it's easy to be really hard on yourself. Like I'm very ambitious obviously, I got the brown ambition bug and money. When you feel like you're not, you know you I talk a lot of I just like I said, you know, it's not terrifying, it's not worth it, Like I always get that advice, but this is like I genuinely take my own advice. And it's it keeps being terrifying and it keeps being stressful, and you kind of have to like learn how to trust yourself and be nice as you're going through those growing pains, because they're real and it like can bleed into all the you know, I'd be like a little bit snappier to for fiance boo. You know you you always have your like pretty game face on during the day, and then you go home and it's like you I turn into like the monster from the crypt. It's like, what did I do that?
Speaker 1: You're breathing.
Speaker 2: But it's not okay. So I'm I you have to sort of like I'm trying to get better at like managing my emotions and not letting every little setback like pile up on top of itself. Yeah, and just like put me in a funk.
Speaker 1: You know what I've been doing lately, I've been I've been telling this to other people too, but I've been doing this for myself lately. That helps, But because I you know, you're going to get in a funk sometimes, and some funks you're really just supposed to stay there for a little bit, but most of them are barely temporary. So what I've done is I created like my like anti funcalists, like things that I like to do that usually lift my spirits, so like taking a walk. I love reading like random books, you know, not like I'm not talking like I love reading marketing books. But if I'm in a funk, I want to read like the Devil, Where's Prada? You know, like just something fun. I love Fixer Upper on HGTV. My jail right, isn't the first of all? Joanna and Chip games. They are so freaking and adorable, aren't they.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're real. I think they're like aliens.
Speaker 1: I just love Joanna. I'm just like Chip Chip.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do some recess lighting in here, Chip Chip, stop throwing that football. Chip.
Speaker 1: I told you right, And her taste is amazing. I'm like Joanna fixed my life and so I you know, so that's another one of my life, you know, feeling like my uplifting things I can do. It's all like all my lists. Indri is another one. So I have like a list of things that when I'm in a funk, maybe take a nap. So when I'm in a funk, I'll run through them, like, let me take a nap, still mad, let me go for a walk. Oh I'm feeling better. Let me call Cabral and ask him to go out to dinner. He's one of my really great friends, and he just has such a great, warm spirit and so and usually once I get down to two or three or four of the list, it will have broken or at least receded some. And so I encourage people to do that, to make a list of the things that really bring you genuine joy, and like, if you're feeling some kind of way, to kind of work your way through them. And sometimes none of them work, honestly, and I'm just like, well, I'm just in a bad mood, and so I just try to avoid people for a few days.
Speaker 2: All right, Guys, Tiffany, I'm so excited for our guest today.
Speaker 1: I am super excited for her too.
Speaker 2: We don't often just invite random pace bowl off the streets of America onto the podcast, but when you get an email like the one that I got from miss Keona Harris from Houston, Texas, you just got to have her on. We talked about her last week, but just to recap, Keona decided to do her summer break for her daughter, her thirteen year old, just a little bit differently, you know, no camp. She decided to do a fifty state road trip throughout the entire United States that she's doing a little chunks and pieces this year. So far, she's already been to twelve states with her daughter, which is pretty impressive. But they're not just like taking pictures in from the world's largest like porch chair and stuff like that along the way and eating at cracker Barrel. They are doing all kinds of volunteer work and just being all around a super cute mom and daughter pair. So, Keona want to welcome you to Brown Ambition.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, Mandy, Thank you Tiffany for having me.
Speaker 2: So why we decide to do a cross country road trip with your daughter when she's thirteen? Like, does she appreciate it? How cool you are?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 3: I don't think she does.
Speaker 4: No, she's she's nine, So she's she doesn't nine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's nine years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the time she's thirteen. You want to finish it? Oh, okay, I got it right.
Speaker 4: So I'll tell you I've always wanted to travel with her. Travel experience is a big deal to me, and so a couple of years ago I decided to you know, start our our fifty state World tour or you know us tour we did a road trip with some fam with some cousins and we went from the South up through like DC and back, and so that kind of was the catalyst of it. And so each up until she's thirteen years old, I want to see all fifty states by the time she's thirteen, and then when she's thirteen, we're gonna go internationally and hit one continent each year, so that by the time she's twenty years old, she's seen the world.
Speaker 3: That's the bigger vision.
Speaker 1: Seeing the world, seeing the United States, especially at a young age, it's really just going to open.
Speaker 3: Up her, just her.
Speaker 1: The way she thinks about things. But yeah, go ahead, Mandy, I'm just like, Wow, I'm in awe.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I want to know. I mean, this must have come from a personal place for you. Why was it so important for your daughter to see the world. Did you do a lot of traveling when you were younger?
Speaker 3: Actually, not at all.
Speaker 4: I am born and raised in Sacramento, California, and I didn't leave California until I went away to college. So at seventeen, I went to Xavier University in New Orleans and that was my first time out of the state.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 4: And then I did a lot of traveling in college. I had friends from DC, from Atlanta. We were everywhere in my little red sunfire. Wherever the sunfire could get to, you got there. And then I went internationally for the first time. I was actually pregnant with my daughter and went to to Italy to Europe, and there was a little and I was super nervous being on a plane going out of the country. But there was a little boy who was like seven years old, flying by hisself, and I asked him, I said, are you nervous?
Speaker 3: Are you scared? He's like, no, I do this all the time, and now here I am this.
Speaker 4: Big, twenty six, twenty seven year old woman, all scary. But I love meeting new people and learning new cultures and just experiencing life outside of you know, the world is bigger than your corner store.
Speaker 3: You know all of that.
Speaker 4: So I've always wanted I think that's important and important lesson.
Speaker 3: I want to.
Speaker 1: Leave with her, leave her with Okay, it's let me get out of your your box. So I think the burning question that a ton of people are thinking is how how can you afford to do this? How are you making this happen?
Speaker 4: Financially well, last maybe it was last year or the year before, Tiffany, I thought I joined your I joined your dream Catchers. Look at that, and that was not a set of as, it was not a setup. I found brown ambition because of dream Catchers. So I've started following you. I think a friend of mine told me about the liver Riture Challenge, and so I did that and I followed it to a tea. It was two years ago, and within that year, just following your ten day program, I paid off all of my debt except student loans.
Speaker 3: Those are forever and give her take, give or take.
Speaker 4: Still working on that, but I paid off all of my debt, and I opened up my money buckets and my savings and my budgeting, did everything that you suggested and really didn't change my life and how I view money. And one of my money buckets was my travel my vacation bucket, and so I bought a house that year, like all kinds of stuff. So now I have student loans and a mortgage that's gonna be forever. But this year and my money bucket for our vacation, I've been saving like one hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars a month.
Speaker 4: Okay, so equals twelve hundred dollars, right, And that was the budget, the cash that I took on this trip, and I stayed accordingly. I wanted We're going through twelve different states, so I said, I want to spend at least one hundred dollars in estates.
Speaker 3: Including gas, lodging, food.
Speaker 4: So the cities where we went and we could stay with friends or family, we did that. And then the activities that I found in advance.
Speaker 3: A lot of times they were free.
Speaker 4: It's you know, free to go into see different monuments and things like that, and I can't. Actually I came back with money still, so that's amazing, pretty good.
Speaker 2: You want to do a slow clap.
Speaker 1: I know, honestly, I'm cheesing because that's not what I was expecting you to say. And I you know, it wasn't a setup. I'm like, no, that is. It's stories like that that make you know, like what me and Mandy do, like that's the reason why you know that we think that women in particular, you're capable, and you're able. Sometimes it's just the lack of not knowing how.
Speaker 4: Right, and it does take this so and I'm a single parent as well, so you know, if something is important to you, you make provision for it.
Speaker 3: And travel is very very important to me.
Speaker 4: This experience is very important to me, so I made sure to make provision for it.
Speaker 2: Well, I just want to say, as you know, I grew up when I was when I was your daughter's age, my mom had just gotten divorced, and I remember those years after the divorce as being like the best years with my mom. So I think it's so cool what you're doing because you never are closer to your your kids. I don't think until something like that happens.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, and that's true.
Speaker 4: Actually I went through divorce last year too, so a lot of changes in our lives and happened in a short amount of time and going you know, coming through and from that. She's the only child, so I don't have, you know, I don't have to divide my attention to other kids. I just wanted to, you know, give her the best of me, and hopefully I'm doing that. I also I worked, you know, I left my planned it, you know, financially planned as well, to leave my full time job to pursue entrepreneurship. I'm a private coun a licensed counselor and I started my practice full time two months ago, and while she was spending the summer with her dad, I just felt like, when she comes back this, I won't never have this time again. I don't have to, you know, request PTO. I don't you know all those different things that you do when you have a full time job. So I said, let me just go ahead and and just do this and when school starts, that's that's it. That's all I got.
Speaker 2: I mean, you always hear these stories about these surveys and studies. You know how many Americans don't take their vacation days or take time for a family. I mean, you made it work. You're a single parent, you're working full time, transitioning to you know, your own business. What advice do you have for other people, other parents out there who just feel like there's no time for them to do this sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Well, when you say there's no time, we we have to prioritize ourself. Work is always going to be there. And I was one of those people when I had PTO days to take, but I could or wouldn't because the work would get backed up, and I just really had to look at my situation or you know, look at my things, like what's most important or what is more important to me?
Speaker 3: My child was going to.
Speaker 4: Daycare all day, go to school all day, and I didn't get home till time, just put her to bed. And I didn't want that life for her, you know I didn't. I didn't want that life for us. So I had to have a you know, let her look atself and say, you know, I don't need to give my the best of my years and my time to an institution when my daughter needs me most. And it was scary, like entrepreneur life is not all that you know I thought it would be. It's definitely not sexy. Every you know, I need a job. I need a job.
Speaker 1: Why you better talent? Everybody? I want to be an entrepreneur. It is not.
Speaker 3: It is not.
Speaker 4: But then I have friends that say, you don't need a job, you are your job. So I have a lot of encouragement, a lot of encouragement around me.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful for it.
Speaker 4: And then even as a counselor, when I have families come in, you know they're dealing with their the issues of their teenage children, and it's not necessarily too late to reach their child, but their child there's a disconnect because they didn't reach them when they were six, seven, eight, nine years old, So now they're sixteen and there's a breakdown and you want me to fix it. So yeah, I just see the value of putting family first, what's the most important, and prioritizing that way.
Speaker 2: I have an unrelated question to like finances or even what we're really talking about, but you just brought up something interesting. I've always wondered and Tiff and I have kind of touched on this before. When you're surrounded by people who have all this energy and then you're kind of taking on the energy, like as a therapist in your job, how do you protect yourself from all that? I'm assuming negative, not happy energy, and I think anyone could probably it's this advice just in every day life.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting with breath because I get you. Oh my god, I'm not you know, I can't pay this or I don't have that, and it can be a lot. So yes, what do you do?
Speaker 4: Well, it's as a therapist, you we are trained to we don't own someone else's problem or issue, So I don't, although I care and I empathize, it's your problem to fix out and to you know, resolve. I'm just here to help you, guide you through it. So sometimes the things that people say un till you are very heavy and just being human, it's easy to you know, absorb that. But that's why you Every therapist has a therapist or should have a therapist. You have to have your own your own outlets. And yes, yes, I if it's not a therapist, you're you. I have good friends, like my best friends, my you know, family members who I can just be myself with. And self care is very important. Do the most of what you know is important to you to relax. I love water, so I moved to Houston because it's closer to the water. I lived in Dallas before. So whenever I'm just need to kind of think and get away, I'll go sit by the beach or something. I also work out a lot, just for the energy, you know, just kind of get some of that energy. And I'm a night out.
Speaker 3: I stay up.
Speaker 4: I get inspiration in the middle of the night sometimes, so I'll get up and have to write things down.
Speaker 1: And you you.
Speaker 4: I love also children, so my daughter being the only child, I will go find kids to play with.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I do a lot of stuff like that with my little cousins, and I'm a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they they come around a lot, and they love game nights and stuff at my house because that keeps me not having to be so heavy all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard when you have a kid around there. They're like their own form of therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Supergirl a lot cheaper, right, she certainly teaches me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Maya's fun. This this trip was was amazing just to see her be nine.
Speaker 3: And you know, I.
Speaker 4: Think I had did a video for my Facebook page just what I learned from her about just being slowing down. So I'm usually it's a real go go go type of person. And Maya's very like sauntering and slow. So while we were walking through Chicago and I'm like, on a, I'm on a time frame, like we got to see this side and we gotta get back in the car and head to Milwaukee. And I'm walking real fast. I have long legs and my stride is a lot longer than hers. And she would she grabbed my hand and she was like, Mommy, let's walk. Like she tried to walk in step with me. We'd have to count down and walk on the same foot. So she just saw that as it's a game to her. But I took that as mommy, slow down, don't miss the journey, you know, trying to get to the destination. And so if there's a lot of lessons to have been learned just in that experience, if you pay attention to your kid, you can learn so much.
Speaker 2: That is such a sweet image you just painted. I know, I might, I might have teared up. I need to go call my mom real Q.
Speaker 1: No, that's just so so. If you if there's someone who's listening and they're like, oh my gosh, I want to even if it's not with their child or or maybe it's with their significant other, by themselves, I want to do that. What's what would you tell them, like, the first step, the first thing they can do. They're like, I have dad, I don't have any money. You know, everybody, everyone, This is what I get from everyone, like I don't I don't have the income, I don't make enough, and I have a whole bunch of debt. What would you say their first step should be.
Speaker 4: The first step would be looking your own backyard. I live in Houston, and there's so many things to do here. I have yet text me, I've only been lived here a year, so a lot of times the museums have free days or you know, find something that that's within with within your budget you're laying and you'll get the same expense. Because if it's your you know, your your child or your children significant other. Just enjoy what is available to you. What are your options. Don't look at what the next person is doing or have done. It's one it's free to help people. The community service thing, I literally posted in a Facebook group.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm a counselor from Houston.
Speaker 4: I'm going on a road trip and I want to serve the communities while i'm there. Any any nonprofit organizations out here willing to let me come do something?
Speaker 3: And I got responded that way.
Speaker 4: All it took was an email or you know, something like that. It doesn't really it doesn't take much money. It takes your time, but it doesn't take money to do something like that.
Speaker 2: We didn't even get to the really cool part of your story. The other part is the fact that you guys, you know, we're doing volunteer work. Can you talk about some of those experiences?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: So, aside from travel, community service, I'm really really big on being a good citizen and giving back in your community wherever you are. And that's another nugget. I want my daughter to know an experience. And so when we went.
Speaker 3: To not in every city, we didn't get to do something I tried. At first.
Speaker 4: I had went into like a United Way website and trying to connect with you know, bigger nonprofit organizations. But there their systems are set up a little different where you have to have a background check and you know, stuff like that. And so that's when I put that ad out into the Faith book group. And I'm met online a lady named Sheena Thomas, and she has a nonprofit group she mentors kids. And this was in Arkansas, and so she invited me to come out and I did a group with them. They're about about fifteen adults or parents and then about twenty to thirty children. And the activity that I did with them, it was so amazing. So I had the child sit in a chair. They were like the king or the queen on the throne, and I had all the parents adults, they had to come down the line and say something positive about this child to the child. And so if you you know, if you imagine a kid sitting there, and you have fifteen to twenty adults coming down the line affirming you, encouraging you, saying that you're smart, you're beautiful, you're worthy, and it just felt so good. And there was some mother daughter pairs or some you know, it was a mom who got when she got in front of her daughter. I think the little girl was like maybe sixteen or seventeen, and you could see the things that she was saying was very heartfelt. And at the end, I had asked the kids, how did it make you feel to hear such positive things about yourself? And then you know, they say, oh, it felt good. And then but when that seventeen year old girl she said, at first I was just hearing, you know, I heard what they were saying. But then I really listened to what they were saying, and it made me cry because we don't give back. We don't give back and talk to our kids that way. Like one girl she said, you never you don't really hear good things like that. And especially now, it's so important to affirm our kids because they are seeing these negative images on TV, in social media, or wherever the case may be. So it is so important that if you don't build your child up, your you're not even to your birth child, your community of children if you don't, if you're not feeding into them, no one else is going to do it.
Speaker 1: So, oh my gosh, you're like my new favorite person.
Speaker 3: Your friend. I know, right, I want to be your friend.
Speaker 2: So can we call each other like around five pm every Tuesday?
Speaker 1: No, Honestly, I just wish more people start like that, because I truly believe that, you know, giving activates abundance and that you don't have to. What I love about what you're doing is that you're teaching your daughter that you don't have to do these huge acts of service to change the world. That you could literally just affect the serpent, the small network and circle around you and that effect will ripple you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when you talk about young kids, when I was a little girl, it's it's incredible when I think back how young I was when I was on a diet. I think I had my first diet when I was like eight years old, seven years old, and I was and you read about kids and how they are, confidence, especially young girls, just plummets by the time they get into like high school, middle school age from when they were little kids and they're so confident, and you're right, it's like you need to nurture that confidence and make sure it doesn't wane as they get older, because sudden it just carries you through college and then in your career and then you look up and you have to make up for all this lost time.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yep, you had a lucky little daughter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one day she'll realize it, because you know, they don't realize it. You know, you know how it is you were a daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you still are, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Like you know, you don't realize until you get I would say late twenties and you're like, oh, so the fact that you've fed me and had a please jeep, that was pretty awesome.
Speaker 4: She's she's a really cool kid, though I don't I can't take credit for she She's always been just a real cool kid. She's the kind of kid where you say, Maya, what do you want for Christmas? And she'll say, surprise me. She's always been that way.
Speaker 2: Oh she's a better kid than me.
Speaker 1: Get my list out right.
Speaker 4: She's always been there. I don't know where this kid came from, but I'm blessed.
Speaker 3: I'm very blessed to have. I'm God. I'm glad that God gave him to me.
Speaker 2: So tell us if you want to follow your work, where can people find you?
Speaker 4: I have My website is www dot bridges Behavioralhealth dot org. I am on Facebook as well, Facebook dot com, slash bridges Behavioral Health and also I'm on psychology today as Keana Harris, Licensed Professional Counselor that's spelled k e o n A Heiress LPC. And you'd probably have to search Houston to find me there.
Speaker 2: People of Houston, God of Houston.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Keanna, thank you ladies. You guys have a good evening.
Speaker 1: You too.
Speaker 2: Oh I feel all warm and fuzzy.
Speaker 1: I know. I love when people are just good people. You're like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: I need to be a better person. How long if I lived in my new neighborhood, I haven't done.
Speaker 1: Anything, honestly, And I'm like lazy. People are always like, yeah, but you get for a living. I'm like, yeah, but it's.
Speaker 2: Different, Like, well, it's got to be nice to hear her story. No, it is literally because of you. She did what she instigated in her She accomplished what she wanted.
Speaker 1: And it just it doesn't even feel real, like it's honestly, people always say how does it feel, and I'm like, I don't know. I feel always so detached and removed because it's almost like I cannot conceive that that's what something I created has has helped to bring that about. So instead of like because I can't conceive of it, it's like over there, you know what I mean. It's weird because I'm just like, how this was just something where I was like, you know what, I'm so sick of tired of everybody telling me that they can't help women, especially women of color. I'm gonna make something. I'm tired of begging these companies and then telling me no, I'm gonna do it. And then for someone to say, oh, I'm taking my daughter around the country then around the world. You're like, wait, what, but I made that in my pj's at my house. Yeah. So it's just I'm just really grateful and just I love hearing stuff like that. But you can tell she was gonna find a way she just needed and that's what why, Like I said before, that's why it's so important what we do because so many women. I think for News told me she was like, you know that it's so important, Tiffany that you win. She was like, not even for yourself, but because you're a woman, and because you're a woman of color. Quite honestly, there are gonna be people who would otherwise not benefit, but you winning. You know, because sometimes, you know, I shrink a little, I'll be like, well, I'm good, this is enough, this is and learning to like, no, go for it all. Not because of you so you could be the limelight or whatever, but because because you being out there means that someone who likely would not get help or would not be seen or whatever, it's going to get that opportunity. And so like I think I forget. I think she said that on that panel, you guys did something to that effect. And since then I have been like not allowing myself to shrink back because I feel like, well, you know, it's good enough. I'm doing well, enough, I'm making enough, and I think to myself, well it's maybe enough for you, but not enough for everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, certain people are always gonna win, and I think it's when the people who don't always win, women people of color, when we are in positions of power. It just makes everything more balanced exactly. And people, yeah, and people question it all the time, like what does it matter? Just you know, what does it matter the color of the president or the sex of the president? Like it matters. Maybe not to you who's always winning and feels like everything is okay, but for the rest of us it matters hugely.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it does.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me like a little bit of a bout come on.
Speaker 1: It's hard. I don't know why. I don't know why, but it's always like, oh, that's right, okay, next, next, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: We can move along. Then, fine, fine, fine, lavish compliments upon me.
Speaker 1: I will take them.