Speaker 1: And I got you guys back. I figured it out nice. You never lost us, You never lost us.
Speaker 2: We were actually carrying you all along, Jody, those times when there was only one set of footsteps, that was Miles and me carrying you. Miles was carrying me, and then I was carrying you like like children stacked in a trench coat.
Speaker 3: Is that like the closest thing to like a Jesus human centipede. There's multiple people carrying each other like on a beach.
Speaker 4: The video, the video is running some weird Jesus clip.
Speaker 2: That's right. Every time we get on video, it's his week. It's his week. You know that's right.
Speaker 4: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three eighty four, Episode.
Speaker 2: Three of Deadly Guy. Yeah, production of iHeartRadio. That's right, I'm back. I'm back baby.
Speaker 4: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness. It is Wednesday, April sixteenth, twenty twenty five. That can't be right, Miles, Yeah, it is, Miles, it can't be right.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: I know you're experiencing a severe time dilation via jetlag, but it also is April sixteenth. Shout out all the banana lovers. It's your day, but the tariffs might fuck up the prices. National Banana Day. It's also National bean Counter Day, because I think this is for all the CPAs out there get they get to relax, as it were, since Tax Day was yesterday, National Orchid Day, National Healthcare Decisions Day, National where your Pajamas to Workday? There it is April sixteenth, fuck man, Oh ex Benedict Day too. If you like X Benigs Benny's.
Speaker 2: NAT's your day too, baby. That's the only Bennies I care about. I just want my job to give me eggs Benedict.
Speaker 3: And what about the Bennies Oh Benetes, No, no, no, you know egg Benedict.
Speaker 2: Uh, I guess anyways. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Ma Mar Mar. He's one shitty old white that's a once bitten, twice shy Great White aka from House Yon Salad, Great White. Wows You ever listen to Great White? Do you remember them? They were probably little before you Wait, didn't they have that concert all those people that, Yeah, that was kind of their main thing.
Speaker 3: That's that's only I'm like, dad, that's the concert.
Speaker 1: After that, which.
Speaker 3: You're like, dude, Now we're talking death metal. That's fucking rock and roll right there.
Speaker 2: What a tragedy.
Speaker 1: But also the idea that if you it's only your age that determines whether you were a huge Great White fan or not, the assumption being anyone over the age of a certain age was gonna be all on board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly if you had if you're around, it doesn't matter if you had good taste or bad.
Speaker 1: Everyone was white.
Speaker 2: I was both very temporarily into metal and also into sharks, and I didn't even fuck with Great White that's how good they were anyways, house he on Salad on the Discord. In reference to the news that just broke that, Bill Maher sucks. I leave the country for two weeks. Yeah, I come back, hero. Bill Maher says, Donald Trump is his friend.
Speaker 3: I know, well, at least at least the tattoo you got him his face you can kind of look more like a Jigsaw from Saw if you kind of altered a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just turned it into a dog and dog. Is that what Sylvester Stallone did? Yeah? Yeah, Wait, what did Sylvester salone do? I think Sylvester Stallone had had a tattoo of one of his Axes turned into a dog like his current dog. Hell yeah dog a dog in him anyways. Thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 5: Yeah, rightful, co host seeds Miles great aka, ain't no lunchtime, Dean, only if I'm set on my plate.
Speaker 2: Ain't no lunch time, Guan. And this risis all a load. I guess I'll have some Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello, Okay, shout out Salvador Jolly there look, yes, prop was on.
Speaker 3: We were talking about Filipino cuisine and there it is, Salvador Jolly.
Speaker 2: Thank you for that wonderful aka swish on performances on the writing execution. Thank god. I'm just trying to keep my job from trying to keep my job, trying to keep my job.
Speaker 1: That is in your quarter. Put an eggs better in front of you and ask you to sing. And if you hit THEE and I'm like, and what about money?
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, no no, singer Bill Withers song, Oh you can eat buffets. Miles. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat, yes by a podcaster extraordinary French for extraordinary, that's not right. You know him from this Day in Esoteric Political History on Radio Toopia. He's also hosted thirty for thirty on ESPN, the five thirty eight politics podcast. Lead producer on the Puzzler. You know him, you love him, folks, It's Jody E.
Speaker 4: Regad.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. And you know what, Jack, I've made your life a little easier going forward. We changed the name of the show from This Day in Esotech Political History to just this Day because I was sick of, in part, saying the very long name over and over and over. This day the show is called this Day. Oh, let me tell you about it?
Speaker 2: Which one this exactly?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the question we try and answer. But anyway, it is a thrill to be back with the two.
Speaker 2: Great to have you. Well, we're thrilled to have you. Jody. Have you been other than shortening the title of your podcast is mainly what you've been up to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took it took a lot. We have to go letter by letter, pull the trigger on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've been thinking about shortened the name of this one just to the daily.
Speaker 2: What do we think that the other one that's true? Bar borrow?
Speaker 1: Yeah did it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were in and then we were like, I guess the New York Times is trying to get in on the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see how this goes. Yeah, yeah, it goes.
Speaker 1: How do the two of you answer the how are you doing? Question? Do you have an elegant way to be?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Aside from all of that stuff, here's an.
Speaker 3: Actually I do because my house burned down the fire, So I do that all things consider me n PR.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm doing okay, all things considered on n p R. Terry gross. My house.
Speaker 1: Considered a lot. I do the like asterix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I honestly just I've just been I've just become more honest. I just go honestly not good. Yeah, And then you know then people go, yeah, me too. It's I think more people and to be like no, I get I feel that.
Speaker 2: I feel that. Then when you're like, yeah, yeah I'm fine, I'm fine. You know, shit's fucked, there we go. I just usually I usually spell thriving out in all caps. That is what That's how I answer that. All right, Jody, we're thrilled to have you. We're gonna get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners a couple of the things we're talking about today. It's just gonna be you know, catch him up on what I missed. Sounds like, uh, JD. Vance is bad at picking up football trophy object. Yeah. Not only does it look like he's never hoisted a trophy, it looks like he's never picked up a thing before.
Speaker 1: Or with human beings, Yeah, human beings.
Speaker 2: Your physical objects.
Speaker 3: He has like it showed that he's kind of used to, like gesturing at something for a servant to do it, and he's like, oh, would you mind moving that?
Speaker 2: Thank you? And then obviously anytime he tries to work with the servant catastrophically. All right, we're gonna talk about that. We're going to talk about the latest trend in masculinity, which is getting your eyelashes edged up, edged off.
Speaker 1: You have really found some gems for today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, masculinity and crisis.
Speaker 2: JD.
Speaker 3: Vans can't lift object, man can't have eyelash or woman.
Speaker 2: That's right, all that plenty more. But first, Jody, we do like to ask our guest, what is something that you have been searching on this bean counter day? What what's something from your search history? Oh, you are knowing about who you are.
Speaker 1: Well recently in my search history. So I have a show that I just launched. I don't know if I've been on since I launched a show. I launched a music show called Summer Album, Winter Album, which I'm very excited about. I should have you guys on at some point. But the premise is that all albums are either summer albums or winter albums. I sull agree, and then we take favorite albums of ours and debate. And so I was chatting with my co host, is this guy, Craig Finn, who was the lead singer of the band to the Wold Steady and just a fantastic musician, very thoughtful guy. We were chatting yesterday about his new album and I was trying to get him to classify it as a summer album or winter album. And we were talking about some of the influences, and we were talking about Tom Petty's album Dan the Torpedoes, which is a great album, and he said was a big influence on his new record, and he mentioned his favorite Tom Petty song, and I had this moment where I was like, Oh, this is great. I'm going to trot out this line that I've had for a while about my favorite Tom Petty song, which is a little more obscure, and it's one of those moments that I like to have where I'm like, well, you know what actually is the best Tom Petty song? It's this one, and I could not conjur it. In that moment, I was like, fuck me, like not only you know, I mean, I do genuinely like the song, you know, but I don't remember the name of it.
Speaker 2: Any lower exactly.
Speaker 1: It's a balling So in real time I was trying to like remember what it was. I couldn't, so I didn't throw that anecdote in there. I didn't get my little, like, you know, music nerd moment, and then I spent the afternoon trying to remember and google and.
Speaker 2: Name of your favorite Tom Petty song.
Speaker 1: My favorite I'm pretty so literally in my short history it says like Tom Petty song that has you in the title, because I'm almost positive that has the word you in it, but none of the someones that came up have the word you. So I feel like an idiot for this.
Speaker 2: What about you don't know how it feels? Or that was just called how it feels?
Speaker 1: No, that's called you don't know how it feels and that I think, and that's a great song, but I don't think that's the one, and I just couldn't. I listened to every Tom Petty song that has you in the title, and I was like, maybe this isn't it. And then I'm like, maybe my little anecdote isn't about Tom Petty. Maybe it's some other artists who I like this little like that's my actually the best song. And I just tied myself in knots. And then I had a moment where I was like, how wonderful is it that I can still have these moments where like information is just I can't access it. It's just not there. I can search, I can go online, like how I mean it used to be the case. It used to be the case when you couldn't remember something. You just kind of like that was it, that was your life. You didn't know that.
Speaker 2: It's just such a funny moment to me. Do you think it's because Google uses AI now and Google sucks or you I.
Speaker 1: Tried a I too that.
Speaker 2: I'm buddy.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have that many albums, So I looked at every single I mean, I spent a lot of the afternoon doing this, I looked at every single song and I and and that's where I was like, oh, maybe this little thing of mine isn't about Tom Petty. Maybe it's some other artists, but.
Speaker 2: About something deep inside Jody. Maybe that's what this whole thing early that fear constantly it was the words, and I'm just like, fuck, here it goes.
Speaker 1: I love it. There was like, there's there's information out there that I can't actually with the internet, even with the Internet work my way towards and I was and I've come to be at peace with that. And actually it's kind of lovely.
Speaker 3: I love the idea that you're talking about Tom Petty with somebody and then it's kind of like, yeah, man, I love Petty too. You know my favorite that's a great one, but the best one. And they're like, yeah, which one?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Know, but I just like it playing out like that Wiley coyote out over the Grand.
Speaker 2: And you know the one that I really love is just full sweat, which one man, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: I love to hear.
Speaker 2: The premise for your new podcast is so good. I do need to hear some examples, and I also want to I'm a hold. I'm specifically a big fan of the whole Steady album Sepration Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great album.
Speaker 2: Is that a winter or a summer album?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's interesting, Well start doesn't that start with the song constructive Summer? But Craig has talked on our show about how with that album. We haven't done that as a proper episode, but he's he's mentioned that album a few times in that For musicians sometimes when you know, if you record an album in the dead of winter, but then you're touring it in the summer, so there's like a lot of different ways in which it could be imprinted on your head. And that's the kind of like thing I love about this show is just like there are a lot of different ways in which an album could be coded for you as summer or winter, and is it something about your experience or is it something about intrinsic in the album itself? And so we kind of like end up exploring a lot of that stuff. But yeah, it's really it's really fun. It's been very fun to.
Speaker 2: Make what's the twopac album? Not All Eyes on Me but Me against the World? Is I think it? So? I? No album more clearly evokes a time and place for me than that album. I just like was listening to it NonStop in eighth grade in Kentucky, like right as school was getting out and I was going into summer, and like I can like still smell like the air of that time when I hear that album. But the album, when you listen to it is like kind of like I feel like it's not really a warm weather album based on the music. I've always thought that, like it's a it's a weird contrast in that, but I love the premise. Great premise for a podcast.
Speaker 1: If you want to come on and argue and argue that that's a winter album, I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Miles, you have a favorite summer winter album?
Speaker 3: Uh, summer or winter album? I mean I love J Dilla's Donuts, and I would say that for me is winter just because just the background of the making of that album is so like sort of emotional and not grim necessarily but tragic that and also just I don't know, if I don't know, that album sounds better than Me and the Cold too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel like Wu Tang albums are mainly winter albums for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean when we've talked about we haven't done hip hop album yet, but when we do, we've talked a little bit about it might be a little trickier, especially because it does feel like West Coast. It's hard to argue winter and East Coast like Illmatic just you know, there's all these New York albums that feel so dead of winter, but maybe you know Chicago or Atlanta, you know, like those outcast albums. Yeah, I argue that, right, Yeah, Yeah. Anyway, so so we got to you know, some some albums, I mean, most albums, I think you can sort of impose this lens on and because a lot of it is about your personal experience, but there's some albums where you're just kind of like that wouldn't make that interesting of a conversation, Like that's pretty clearly a summer album, pretty clearly, right.
Speaker 3: B Yeah, I feel like most Golden era New York hip hop, it feels the aesthetic is I'm seeing your breath as you read.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing I'm wearing the timberlands and the puffy coat and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, Jody, what's something you thinks underrated?
Speaker 1: I think ginger chews are underrated, you know, a ginger chew.
Speaker 2: Love ginger chewes.
Speaker 1: You love a ginger chew. I've got a peuple in my pocket. I might eat one, it might not not maybe not great for that, but okay, So I've been obsessed with ginger chews. I've been eating probably like thirty a day. And in part, well, so I think they're underrated. I think they're on the come up. And in part because I like to keep track of what I call fancy bodega watch, which is like, what are the things that are starting to show up on that one shelf in my fancy in the fancy bodega in my neighborhood, you know, is that one cooler and that one shelf by the checkout that are always seemed to be rotating and stuff seems to be coming in to fashion and out of fashion, like the cooler. I would love to do like an oral history of like that one cooler that's seen it all. It's like I live through the vitamin water days. I live for the coconut water days. Now it's Arizona, the Arizona tea, yeah, you know, and now it's like those electrolyte drinks and the Celsius you know, had a moment and then the on the on the shelf, I noticed, just like a couple of weeks ago, it just felt like they took down. I think it was like all the plantain ships disappeared and the ginger chees moved in and now that's a different kinds of ginger to the ginger chee takeover. And it worked on me. It worked on me.
Speaker 2: They're they're warming, they're good for your stomach. We we have them around a lot because my youngest gets a lot of motion sickness, and that's one of the things that will give him when he's feeling motion sickness.
Speaker 3: Is there a consumption more like like utilitarian like it's it's that it's doing something or it is enjoyable, because I feel like every time I've had a ginger chew, it's also been like, oh, this will help your stomach kind of thing, and I'm like, oh, yeah, this is great and it's pleasant.
Speaker 2: But then I don't find myself always being like, hey, man, I need to know the ginger chew.
Speaker 1: Well, if they're around, then you just find yourself eating them non stop, and then you can convince yourself, Oh, the reason I don't have a stomach ache.
Speaker 2: Right, eight more ginger chewes.
Speaker 1: This morning, but yeah, orange orange flavor one.
Speaker 2: Would be on your fire if I didn't have my fourteen ginger choose in my mouth simultaneously right.
Speaker 1: Now, Lemon flavored ginger chews. So they're making varieties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, combine over. We've got a little citrus ginger getting down. Any other fancy bodega predictions coming our way?
Speaker 1: I think the Celsius era is over, so I'll be curious to see what moves in next.
Speaker 2: That was just because they were just like, here's a drink that has two hundred and fifty grams of cat milligrams.
Speaker 1: It was four leuco all over again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I wonder if that is a trend that we'll keep on for if they'll be like, here's a bottle of water and two no dose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a blast.
Speaker 2: What's what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 1: Well, this one I'm curious your thoughts on. But my overrated is uh is maga. So here's here's here's something I've been thinking and no, yes, magazines, no, here's what they've been thinking about. And I actually would love your love your thoughts, but you know, on my history podcast this day. We did it episode right before inauguration or we were chatting a little bit about kind of the present moment, and I said, then, and I think I kind of feel like I was right. I said then, whether I was wondering whether the window between Trump's second election and inauguration was the high water mark for the kind of cultural cachet for Trump world, and purely in a cultural sense, you know, that was when it was like felt coolest, felt edgiest, like let's take a chance, let's roll the dice, and a lot of people I know who voted for Trump, like that was kind of the vibe in those last couple of weeks heading into the election. You know, it's just like, well, let's let's see you know this, this feels this feels cool, which I think is a big part of help people make political decisions. Uh. And I just feel like in the last couple of weeks, for some maybe for obvious reasons, just the cool factor is gone.
Speaker 2: I mean it's gone. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think a lot of the people I know who were the like anti left, heterodox thinker t ies who found themselves voting for Trump or at least flirting with that, like they're kind of horrified by what Musk is doing and then more by what happened to their portfolios over the last few weeks. But you know, like some guy went on Joe Rogan and like kind of called him out and was like, what's going on here? Like I'm just seeing like the cracks seem to be forming in a way from a cultural sense, Like I'm not trying to say that, like the real war fallout of Maga World is not real, but the cool factor seems to be disappearing. And the sort of knockoff to this is I've also been thinking about how like Mark Zuckerberg looks like the biggest dufist in the world, Like that guy no one has ever bought high more than Mark Zuckerberg, like showing up in that chain and talking about mastering energy like at the very very very peak moment that I feel like the wind started shifting two weeks later and I just look back at it and I'm like, oh, man, like you really you're you're what a torque?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he was like flirting, he was getting into UFC. The the evolution of zuck The thing you got to understand about the evolution of Zuck is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the second he did joined the JITs mob, it was over when he got into jiu jitsu.
Speaker 2: You're the mob now.
Speaker 3: I don't know now masculinity and crisis perhaps, but.
Speaker 2: He'll just switch back. I mean he'll be He'll probably be and this is a controversial take, billionaire will probably be fine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But do you feel like the vibes have shifted? Am? I? Am? I is this wishful thinking of my part?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think just from watching I mean I think just the last few weeks with the tariffs. I think it's especially been pronounced because a lot of the influencers, especially online, who were like, yeah, man.
Speaker 2: It's Trump baby, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Because right after the election, everyone got their bump and their crypto and stuff, and all these mouthpieces that like the Dave Portnoy's and the Aiden Rosses of it all were like, yeah, dude, this is what I'm talking about. And then then came reality and now all these guys like what the fuck is going on? And I think that's that's like that. I think that's like sort of the first layer. Then I also think like the tesla of it all has also brought to the surface, like this idea that suddenly now the sort of ideology that was screaming about how dumb electronic electric vehicles are are suddenly like caping for them and being like the Cybertrup's actually really sick. It's just like you see a lot of these, like even comedians online and we're like, dude, this the truck fucking sucks. It looks stupid, Like why are people even like pretending so that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I feel like that is like now the thing that no.
Speaker 1: But like like what it is, like, what is I would love to hear what like theovon really feels like right now, you know, because that guy, clearly, I think, was just like, oh this feels cool. All my friends are doing this, let me get on board in the last few weeks and sort of shit, And I wonder if he's just like what he's just a useful what I signed up for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like a lot of those guys, you know that Pete Davidson character on SNL who's just like following like the I was like put this on, He's like okay, then yeah, okay, just like says okay to whatever people are. I feel like that's him. That's like Rogan in a lot of cases, like they're just what. You put somebody in front of them saying a thing and they're like, yeah, yeah, that's interesting, man, that's interesting because yeah, I was doing some research. Yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 3: I think even with THEO Vaughn, like one of his recent episodes, I saw a clip from it and they were talking about the tariffs, and he was just kind of like confused.
Speaker 2: He's like, why would they do? I don't get it. He's like, isn't this like bad?
Speaker 3: And before I think a lot of these people who would just be like, yeah, everything's good, everything's great, this is the way to go, they're now they're kind of falling into this bucket. Like at best they're like I'm I think he knows what he's doing, but like this doesn't make sense to me. And then you have the people who are like fuck all this I'm not I'm seeing less and less of like the people fully come out at least and from like that Manisphere area that got a lot of attention where they're like, you know, this is it, this is this is the way.
Speaker 2: I did have the question heading into this presidency of like how are these people who are like edge lords, you know, mega fans going to continue to be edge lords when Trump is president, Like how they just like tune in every day and be like, I think the president's doing a good job. I think he's cool, but like now, like the presidency's going so.
Speaker 4: Badly that like I feel like maybe they can continue to be edge lords because it's like such a counterfactual take to be like, yeah, I don't know, I think he's doing a great job, but yeah, the degree to which they have to whiplash what they support like on it from day to day is probably a little bit deflating. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, my my friend Nicole Hammer, who who's the co host on My History show, and it's like a historian, but she really watches right wing spaces, bless her heart. She listens to like hours of right wing talk and sort of watches stuff every day, and she's like, there are very few even the like pure uncut maga folks. There are very few like defenses of the tariff policy and even the doge stuff, and it is entirely do you trust Trump? Like that is this that is the safe hit? Yeah, still left, and I mean that's pretty powerful, you know, And so it might still work. But but even that doesn't feel like like Trump's cool and doesn't it feel great to own the libs Like that is just seems to have.
Speaker 2: Evaporated or it's it's definitely diminishing return.
Speaker 1: And so who knows. I mean, I don't know what that means for coming next, But I don't know if the pendulum swings all the way back to you know, the EI is cool, but uh, you know, but it is. That's that's uh, that's my that's my overrated I think like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean megas, I'm buying low on Mega. I think they're going through a rough patch, but buying the dip that day, Well, that's because I am buying that dip by that man load one up. There we go.
Speaker 1: Let they put a ginger chew in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about JD. Vance and his ability to pick up physical objects. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, and JD. Vance, if if he had ever watched a football game, might have noted that what he did yesterday was a bit of a fumble, A bit of a fumble. Ruski on his behalf but this is I mean, it was a big moment for him. He's famous Ohio native, his Ohio State Buckeyes won the National football championship and it's everything came together. He was there to greet them at the White House and pretty much nailed it right. I didn't I didn't see the video of that actual Well.
Speaker 3: We'll pull up this Zapruder film in a moment, but yeah, I mean, what better way for the the Ohio State buck guys to celebrate their championship then to go meet two dipshits who know nothing about football and Trump and Vance. I'm sure that was great for them, But I think one thing about JD.
Speaker 2: Vance is his near.
Speaker 3: Cosmic ability to self own whenever there are cameras around, and this occasion was no different. So like when you will he'll hear this clip, the Marine Corps band is like squeaking out, we are the champions. JD Vance attempts to lift the championship trophy and just makes a total fucking ma just it feels like a comedic bit almost how how comical this fumble is. But here's JD Vance and he's about to lift the trophy. Is how do I hold this spellas oh.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, oh shit, that's okay, all good, all good.
Speaker 3: Then I think another handler comes out to be like, hold on, asshole, don't fucking break this.
Speaker 2: When he first approach. Can we just go back to the initial back into the left? Yes?
Speaker 1: Right? Do you have you have your illustrator here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, Like he's doing a couple know how gravity works at this point, because he's like dragging it a cross, like he doesn't know to pick it up that that you want to like put your hands on the sides and pull upwards.
Speaker 2: He's just kind of moving it across.
Speaker 3: And oh boy, how many times did he break grandmother's earn with all her ashes in it?
Speaker 2: It feels like I gotta saying, I.
Speaker 1: Gotta say, this guy in the tan suit is getting off scott free.
Speaker 2: Because he played a part. Yeah, yes, I will say. Also, the structural integrity of the trophy counter Hey, we can just call him Barack Obama. Okay, not on my watch would he be allowed to wear a suit like that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the reason too, is interesting because a lot of people are like, he broke the trophy, And as much as I'd love to say that, it's not totally accurate, because the trophy is like it's made of two pieces. There's this base and then it's that's the base, and then the trophy itself, which looks like a gold plated taki. That's the actual trophy. And because Vance has no idea like about that, he tried lifting like both at the same time. And I think that's where like the player was like, nah, bro, this is the act, Like just lift the fucking trophy. Like, have you seen any photos of a college team that won this trophy? They're not like they'll hold the bass at the presentation, but when they're parading it around, they're usually just holding the fucking gold part. And I think that's what he was, like, whoa, what do you okay? You want to slide the base off? Go ahead, sir, go ahead.
Speaker 2: This is just like a concentrated shot of like everything that was on display and that donut you know where he he like went in to order donuts, and it was just evident that he had not like ordered anything or interact. Like at first, you're like, does he not know what a donut is? And then you're like, does he not know what human like how to talk to humans? Yeah? Who who's the least nightmarish of the nightmare blunt rotation in the In the Maga world.
Speaker 1: A tough one.
Speaker 2: Steven Miller would be great to get high. Oh I would be all.
Speaker 1: I would that one friend that like you'd like the fun with everyone kind of likes to fuck with. Oh yeah, it'd be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There was like a kid I remember in high school. We got him high and he he was like his first time. He like hid in the back of my friend's like pathfinder and He's like, we got to get out of here, and I'm like, I don't where. And he heard a helicopter goal Bys like they're looking for us. Man, my dad's gonna ground me.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh damn, little boy. Was Stephen Miller.
Speaker 1: Miller Miller.
Speaker 2: There's no no looking back from there. Yeah, I mean, so, my my good friend Bill Maher actually said Trump is pretty chill to hang so, I mean, it's the speak of THEO Vaughn. And by the way, this is now a THEO Von Recap podcast. But his interview with trust was what was it hilarious? Like, I think Trump would be entertaining to be in the same room with if you weren't you know, being physically revolted by the fact that he's a racist Nazi.
Speaker 3: Well that's yeah, because that's the part that happens when all the time we get like those quotes out of him, Like, I fucking hate that I'm laughing at this piece of shit, but there's just something fucking so goofy about it. I can't help but laugh when you're like, everything's computer, how do you do yet?
Speaker 1: Everything's computer is on the fucking Mount Rustler. For me, that is that was so good, wow, incredible everything. I mean, that's why I like it was able, you know. I mean not to rehash the horrors of the last election, but it's like a lot of these right wing podcast folks, the Rogans and the Theovons and the Milk Boys and so forth. I mean, I think their politics were moving a maga direction, but mostly they they had Trump on because like they knew that they could chop it up for two hours and not feel super awkward. And then the Democrats are like, how about this person? It's like, I don't know, this isn't a good hang, so right, yeah, I think about the dynamic.
Speaker 3: I think that's the easy part about being a Republican right now is you don't have to fake anything. You can just be so out there with your backwards ideas, whereas the Democrats are so like in their heads about triangulating and presenting and evoking the right shibblets at the right time that like they don't they're not going to come off in the way that they would be open to, like talking about cocaine in an interview.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's you know, I will say, it's a long ways to go, but that is starting to change. And I mean it's it's too little, too late, but I and maybe this is the flip side to what I was talking about earlier about the cool coming off of my maga a little bit. I do think at least some democratic channels are starting to realize, like, yeah, we just have to be more nimble.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Corey Booker gave that thing and then was on like six different podcasts and like Instagram shows afterwards, Wing and like take.
Speaker 3: The Zeitgeist challenge. Come off and talk about cocaine, right, you want to win the people back. Open invitation, any sitting senator, come on, let's talk about how fucked up you've gotten.
Speaker 1: Ever senators who've done cocaine one through fifty. Let's come.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did Kahla Harris talk about smoking weed at one point? I feel yeah, but like it was it was just it was like one of the characters. Yeah, but she did it in a way.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm Jamaican, you know what I mean, And it was sort of like, Okay, like you're saying, of course I smoke weed because I'm Jamaican, is like different. You know, again, this is a this is an era where people were like, if I said I've ever done a drug, that's it for me.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: They got rid of power Dean for screaming loud. Yeah, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll talk about the latest trends and eyelashes. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back. And how's ther men doing? How they been out of the country versu hor men doing? They figure everything out.
Speaker 3: It's a weekly check in, I think on this show at this point with how are y'all?
Speaker 2: How are we doing out there? Boys? How we doing? Fellas?
Speaker 3: Last week there was the Nazi pastor who thought the TSA scanner was a gay beam that somehow would take away his ability to suppress his own sexuality or some shit. H Now I'm seeing a trend about guys shaving off their eyelashes because if they're too long, they're feminine. They want to look more masculine, and nothing looks more masculine than.
Speaker 2: Having no eyelashes. I yuess is the logic here. I love to imagine the battle going in going on inside these guys where their gay feelings are, like like they just they assume that it's being caused by They're like, every time I go on a plane, other man like.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like that's that's a question that's missing in those conversations are like, you know, and it's probably not I don't know. I don't want to do that. It's probably gonna make you gay. And I'm like, hold on, let's explore that. So what is what's what's what has been your experience.
Speaker 2: In the machine?
Speaker 3: It goes through you and then you start going, oh, I liked how that man told me to assume the position in this small booth.
Speaker 1: It's the only it's the only pat down encounter that the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only, but it's the only time that somebody another male physically touches their body where they don't immediately respond by punching them in the shoulder. Come on, who's that?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 1: But wait, Jack, is your is your? Is your theory here? That the I'm saying that the t s A screening is making me gay is a cover for the gay feelings that are already popping up inside it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a cover. I think it's the like it's oblivious, like they're there just like there's something going on here. Like that's where like they're assuming that everybody is having the same feelings, that those feelings are unnatural and coming from outside of them rather than inside of them.
Speaker 1: It just seems like you would pick something that happens more frequently than the TSA screaming, because if you have those feelings all the time, maybe times a year that you fly, just be like, uh, you know, drive throughs are making me.
Speaker 2: He's like, I fly a lot, fly.
Speaker 3: Buddy, I am flying a lot of at least three times a week I'm flying.
Speaker 2: Maybe something that happens more often, like noticing that your eyelash that you have some thick, luscious lash.
Speaker 1: Watch some videos. How do you actually trim your eyelashes?
Speaker 2: Dear, it's about as it's about as simple as you thought it would be.
Speaker 3: It's just shaving them off with electric clippers. This is like, there's like at first I was like, is this really a thing? And now I've seen multiple video some dudes in a barber chair and getting their eyelashes trimmed.
Speaker 2: So here's the first one.
Speaker 1: No, no, but first of all, choice, I love this music. Choice.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna just turn the audio off there because that's probably not gonna make it on the Oh.
Speaker 3: That first one, how it just went right off. Oh my god, I thought I was gonna take the fucking eyelid with it.
Speaker 1: Can we see a photo of what someone looks.
Speaker 2: Like for people who aren't watching the video that, yeah, there's somebody like this is not what I thought was happening. I was assuming it would be scissors and you just do a like a straight cut, just like having the like the thing that like in a movie when somebody gets a bad haircut, it's always this thing and like the slip yeah yeah, like right next to you close.
Speaker 1: Your eyes so that your lashes are sort of running down, yeah, and the razor and they go and just down a beard, yeah, like you edge beard what.
Speaker 3: Are the guys like, I like it more to look like eyeliner than eyelashes.
Speaker 1: I just wonder how big of a difference it makes.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, like like this, the guy in this video, he's got got it's all gone. Yeah, his eyebrows are gone too. Well, people have been like sculpting their eyebrows.
Speaker 3: I mean this is yeah, I mean, yeah, it's appropriate. I guess what I mean. The truth is out there. If you have long eyelashes, you are less masculine, clearly, clearly, clearly.
Speaker 2: I mean what are they saying about JD Vans? You know, Like, I don't know, I don't appreciate the application there, fellas.
Speaker 3: Looks because this motherfucker pulling up like one of Odd's homies. Like we've said, like the beautiful eyeliner, thick gass eyelashes.
Speaker 1: So what is the part of the broken online manisphere that this is tapping into?
Speaker 2: I mean, jesus, I mean it just like I think, I think it lends itself to video. It makes for good video. You get to see somebody go from like it's equally I could see this working as like do the eyelash challenge. You know it feels, so it makes for great video. And then also they're just bored and don't have that many different things that they that they can work with.
Speaker 3: And also I think we're also just like in this era where people don't really think for themselves, Like I see this all the time, especially on Reddit, like where people are like how do I how do I know a song is good? Or people like that, like because I'm DJing, I'm getting into DJing in and I see all these like posts or people are like, what what's the way to think about music if it's good? And somebody people are like, what do you mean? Like if you like it, that's that's the benchmark. There's no like like what's going on. Just honor whatever your feelings are about something rather than looking for like an external definition of it. And I think stuff like this, or the guys who don't wash their ass because if I touch my ass, I'm fucking like not straight or whatever. It's all like these weird ways to like flatten your identity out and like, okay, I can tick the box if I do that. Oh thank god I don't have long eyelashes. Oh thank god, I'm not washing my ass. Now I'm a man, and now I've achieved manhood. It's like very and I mean it's just like a very. It's like a simplified way to sort of assert your identity, but like without you know, being truthful about who you are.
Speaker 2: I don't know, my day, we had no fear t shirts to let everybody know we're straight, right, But now you have to do it via social media clips where my eyelashes off.
Speaker 1: Now's your point about kind of the lack of socialization for like how do I figure out who I am? You know, and and even stuff like this. I mean, there have always been trends, right, but I think that one thing I've been thinking about a lot is how one of the things that's been hollowed out is the whole kind of process by which you have to do a lot of stuff that you actually don't like doing. You know, you have to watch movies that you think suck. You have to like try on a persona that is not for you and then two weeks later shift it. You know, you have to kind of like make friends who wann't for you and move on. And I think, you know, one of the kind of broken promises of the Internet, and I think particularly for men. You know it's it's it's even more dire. But it's this like shortcutting directly to the thing that you will love and will be the core identity, and like you can't shortcut that. But also you learn, I mean, I'm preaching the choir, but you learn a ton by doing stuff that makes you uncomfortable, that isn't for you. You know, like there used to be a time when like someone would put on a movie and if it sucked, you would just like you'd have to watch the whole movie and you just and then you talk about why it was bad and why you didn't like it, and that was like formative and whatever. And now it's like, you know, that's ah, that encapsulates it all, Like you can just bail and try something else and just keep searching for the perfect thing.
Speaker 2: And one, hey, what's your definition of man? All right? Let me try that out?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Like and yeah, to your point, like we're not sifting through the variation that exists in life. That like I always think about I remember always when I was like I don't know what I told my I remember telling my dad I was like I don't know what I want to fucking do. Like, I don't know if I like this job. He's like, you have to do shit you don't like to truly understand what you love. That's really like nice unless you know out the gate, it's so clear to you you have to sift through all these different experiences and that's how you build up what you actually fucking like. To avoid all these like experiences just to be like, I know, I'm not gonna like that. He's like, you might or you might learn something very specifically about this thing you don't like that maybe you do, and that will completely inform all these other.
Speaker 2: Things that you that you wonder about. And I was like, oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: And I feel like, yeah, to your point, Jody, like we people are just the appetite for that is less because I think there's so much information out there and you can go on TikTok or YouTube and google something like how to be more manly.
Speaker 2: That that's just that's like kind of the shortcut of of doing stuff like this. But I think it's also partially too.
Speaker 3: This is also like we're like living this era of content and so a lot of this stuff is gonna bubble up. But like I mean, I would say to these men who think your eyelashes are too long. I have a friend beautiful eyelashes. He gets constant compliments from like people coming up to him to be like like and even like women. I remember like going to bars, like, dude, your game is that your eyelashes are so long that people are noticing that.
Speaker 2: Look, it's that easy. Just have your beautiful eyelashes. It's okay.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: And the other thing is we need them evolutionarily speaking, that they protect our eyeballs.
Speaker 2: That's why they're there. They're not feminine indicators. Yeah, I feel like it's gotta be a real mind fuck just for people raised on social media to have been thinking of yourself as a brand. Like it's just there's an abstraction to the way that like people seem to encounter identity now, like that that hasn't been true historically. I think it was starting to be true when I was younger, but like it's definitely like I think when I was younger, I always like had this idea of like imagining myself in like a Truman Show situation, even if like it just like that, I think a lot of people had that. I've like read people and then like there's people who even have that as like a psychosis of like thinking that they're on is called like Truman Show syndrome. But now it's like become true, Like you are the star of your own reality show, and like you are constructing an identity that's like basically a brand, and so I feel like that's gotta fuck you up, Like that has to make you be like, so, how do I construct the right music around my brand? As opposed to even thinking about your life as right? Well, even which things should I like?
Speaker 3: Well, we talked about this to a lot, like Jack, like how when we were kids and like you know, millennials and gen X, like like we would just steal things from movies or TV like like oh this I like this, This is gonna be my person, Like I like this character. Yeah, we just if this aligns with me or whatever. But even then it was up to you to sort of interpret that what it was about that character or piece of popular culture that appealed to you. Whereas now it's like you can get It's like the information is like just infinite in terms of like you're like, oh I'm into this, dude, And then now they have all this content when they talk about like this is what I do to be a man, this is how this is how I live, this is how I eat, this is all these other things. So it becomes very rigid suddenly.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean that gets us something. I think if I think, whenever I have these conversations, I always try and remember kind of what is what is the actual difference now, you know, because people have always gone through phases, right, There've always been fads and trends, and even those have come pretty fast, you know, you like a goth for a week, and then you move on, you know, so that that in and of itself, like people trying on different personas and trying to be different and present themselves in different ways to different people, is not that new. I think it's something about a little bit of the speed, you know, by which you can kind of rip through that, like you don't have to just sit with it. But also I just think that the feedback, right, the immediate feedback, so that you're constantly kind of like testing and ab testing, yeah, yourself. Whereas you know, if you're just a high schooler, you see the way someone dresses in a movie and it's nineteen ninety seven and you try that on, like you kind of got to just that's kind of got to be your thing for a week at least, and you're not going to immediately see how people react, and you kind of have to live with it in your own head, which I think is really important.
Speaker 3: Or your classmates aren't like posting your outfit and being like yo, l outfit or the right and you're like, oh fuck yeah, just that. Yeah, that instant feedback is I think probably the biggest biggest.
Speaker 2: And also the confusion of just like attention with you know, like getting a lot of like a thing going viral, like shaving your fucking eyelashes off with being like some manner of approval you know, is probably a little bit different. Like if somebody edged up their eyelashes in high school, I think they would get a lot of attention, but it would be pretty evident that it wasn't necessarily positive. Whereas this it just feels like easy to confuse like the velocity of like how much attention is pouring in with value that you're getting.
Speaker 3: Or it feels like that sort of like pathological thing a lot of us do with like self criticism, Like yeah, you sort of pre empt criticism because you're already criticizing yourself, and like, if you were working that out, like with your mental health and your emotional well being, you'd probably arrive at a place where it's like, well, do you want.
Speaker 2: To live in a world where all that criticism is flying?
Speaker 3: Like wouldn't you rather live in a place where you can just be yourself and that's okay? That would probably sort of stop the ruminating on, Like am I am?
Speaker 2: I was? Just? Am I fucking up?
Speaker 3: And I think I am really really embracing that idea that, like I that is a better world to live in. I think that's sort of like this philosophical rubicon they have to you have to cross on some level to be like I'm not I don't want to live in a world where I'm so fucking like.
Speaker 2: Look, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 1: What are they worring?
Speaker 2: What does that mean about me?
Speaker 3: Where he's like, yeah, do whatever the fuck you want, man, because I'm gonna do whatever the fuck I want and I don't want to hear all right.
Speaker 2: So I do have a question based on this story that's very dumb and has nothing to do with the philosophical questions. Do they grow back? And if they do how they know to grow back? How do they? How do your eyelash know?
Speaker 4: Your eyelashes know to grow back? Because my eyelashes have been the same length for thirty years?
Speaker 2: What how how they know? Are my eyelashes falling out and then new ones are growing in? What happened to you? Man? Do you shave? You shave your beard? Right? You worried how your beard knows to grow back?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: But okay, so my beard. If I don't shave my beard, it will keep growing. I will look like Tom saying in that one and that by his Self film. But if I shave, if I I haven't shaved my eyelashes in weeks, and like they, it hasn't grown. You know, it hasn't grown. So I'm just wondering that. That's always been a question I have is how do how does if my leg hair hasn't been shaved for my whole life and it doesn't just keep growing indefinitely when I do shave it, how my leg hair no no to grow? Then? Yeah, it's it's the follicles from what I'm reading. Damn. Yeah, they just know at a certain point they're like, nah, that's it.
Speaker 3: We're not that kind of hair that's over there, if you want to do all that long stuff, or tell that to.
Speaker 2: My one weird long eyebrow hair I have. I feel like this probably doesn't work the way that supposedly you're heard and must have where it like comes back thicker, you know, because if it would, I feel like a lot of people would be shaving their eyelashes. There would be no need for Latisse. Yeah right, exactly.
Speaker 1: Charala Mae has great eyelashes, right, isn't that one? Oh yeah?
Speaker 2: Challo may Zach effron Zane, I mean fucking Zane. Are we even talking about here? Robert Pattison, All right, Jody, it's been wonderful having you on the podcast has always worked. Let's see those. Let's see those d let me see what are you work? You got there? You're hiding them behind oh slashes? Right?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah? Hell yeah yeah beautiful? Oh Jack stop stunting on the shouldn't ask because he's just gonna come through with his.
Speaker 2: These are mink, Jody, Where can people find you? Follow you? Hear you all that good stuff? Well?
Speaker 1: I do a bunch of stuff, but I would I would encourage people to listen to Summer album Winter album. That's the name of the show. It's called Summer Album, Winter Album. We're doing full out, full episodes every couple of weeks and little stuff in between. But it's been Yeah, it's been really really fun to make the show. So I love people to check it out. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, I am reading a great new book. It's called what is it called. I'm having one of those Tom Petty moments.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now, it's called Playworld. Do you know about this book by Adam Ross? I believe is the name. Yeah, Playworld by Adam Ross has a great cover. But also that the novel stuff, it's good. It's a novel. It's about a sort.
Speaker 4: Of inside stuff that's good. I've ever heard that we blurb the content of the book.
Speaker 1: The words and whatnot. Uh, it's it's about a young boy growing up in New York City in the nineteen eighties, and you know, it's it's just a great little sort of family story. But also you know there's these moments to sort of take you too to New York City in that era, which is a treat.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, miles, Yeah, where can people find you as their working media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, find me everywhere at Miles of Gray, you find Jack and I'm the Basketball podcast Miles and Jack.
Speaker 2: I'm on Gooses.
Speaker 3: Find me on the ninety Day Fiance podcast for twenty Day Fiance. Let's see a work of media I do enjoy. Yes, this was posted, give me one moment to bring some in it. This is from at Shen Underscore the underscore bird Shen the bird parenthetical on the phone. Yeah, we were going to raise against the dying of the light. Later if you're down, switch his phone to.
Speaker 2: The other ear. You're what hold on covers phone this dipshit's going gentle into that good night. That's on my list too. Ah, look at us, Look at us. We're SYNCD again. Maybe all right. You can find me on Twitter at Jack underscorel Brian on Blue Sky at Jack ob the number one workimedia I've been enjoying. First of all, Alec carritt Santis's book Coppaganda is out yesterday. Yeah, came out yesterday. Go to your local bookstore, ask your library to carry it. It's really good book. We had Alec on a couple of weeks ago to talk about it. So go back and check out that episode if you need some convincing but full of, as he put examples patterns of like institutions we think of as well meaning like news outlets, magazines, universities, professors and nonprofits that are walking us off an authoritarian cliff. And yeah, good book, good read, not fun, but just very enlightening. Highly recommend it. I like to tweet from. In addition to the going quietly into that good night, PJ Evans tweeted seeing one of my old teachers, are you still obsessed with spelling things correctly? And then one dozen rats at a keyboard at Panasonic DX four or five forty five thousand tweeted starting a conspiracy that the Katie Perry who came back from space isn't the same one who would not. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist and on Blue Sky at daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, Daily Zeitgeist, And you can go to the description of this episode wherever you're listening to it, and you can find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode, we also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: This is a just some nice, some nice Brazilian music, just to nod your head too, just to give yourself just a nice sonic break from things.
Speaker 2: Call her song. Yeah, yeah, I mean a lot of Brazilian Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think some like maybe like this stan Get Spasa Nova stuff could feel wintry to me.
Speaker 2: That feels a little bit more cozy with Babel Giberto.
Speaker 3: But anyway, this is called Naboca Dul Soul and it's by the artist Arthur of et OLSI V E r O c a I. And it's just again nice, got a little brass in it, but just nice vibes Portuguese vibes, Brazilian vibes.
Speaker 2: Now Boca del soult. Check it out. Hell yeah, all right, We will link off to that in the foot note. For Days is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit the I Heart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning. We're back this afternoon. To tell you what is trended, and we will talk to you all then, Bye bye bye. The Daily Zeitgeist is executive produced by Catherine Law.
Speaker 1: Co produced by Bee Wang
Speaker 2: Co produced by Victor Wright, Edited and engineered by Justin Conner,