Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning, everyone, and thanks for joining us for today's Morning Run. It is Wednesday, February eleventh. I'm Amy Robox and.
Speaker 2: I'm TJ Holmes. In tears once again. I can't stop crying watching the Olympics. Every single morning, I cannot stop crying. And it's not because some heartbreak or some defeat. It's the winds and these sweet stories. Perhaps I'm a mess every single morning. Happening again this morning? Why am I crying? O was snowboarding. It's snowboarding.
Speaker 1: It's impressive as hell, and you just see the work and the talent and the skill that goes into it, and the pressure is surreal for them to complete these seemingly impossible feats.
Speaker 2: We'll tell you why I was crying here in just a second, but let's give the update if where those We should have been doing this already with folks curious as of this recording this morning and again we've been watching everything live. It's happening over in Italy. What six hours ahead? Do I? Yes, right, So we're watching live stuff at two, three, four in the morning, which for me is perfect, It's absolutely perfect. But As of this moment, the official metal count has the United States in fifth when it comes to gold medals, So the gold medal listings are like this. Norway has six, Switzerland has four, Sweden has three, switz who is that? Germany actually has three as well, and then the United States has two. If you notice there Winter Olympics, a lot of those top countries are cold.
Speaker 1: They're used to cold weather and lots of yes, lots of skiers and snowboarders and figure skaters, and yes, cold events are their things.
Speaker 2: And overall the metal count, Norway is ahead twelve overall medals to Switzerland's seven, and then you got Sweden with six and Germany with six as well. The United States actually has eight overall medals, but only two of those are gold. World We we're just watching a short time ago, and this girl, she's my new favorite athlete. I didn't even know her before this Maddy Mastro. She's a snowboarder and I just fell in love with her before she even started competing, because her little personality came out as she was sitting there getting ready to go down on a run. It was awesome. She starts dropping f bombs. HiPE herself up and it was cute and adorable and she had she was a badass, and she moved up to three. And I'm crying over this girl.
Speaker 3: It's cool to see these athletes.
Speaker 1: Yes, that little private moment where she thought it was private, there was a camera on her and you could hear her yes, dropping some f bombs and saying I can do this, like psyching herself up. It was just cute as she's revving herself up. We're all supporting her as well from overseas, just hoping she has the best run of her life and she did. It was awesome to watch her nail it after having that little moment beforehand.
Speaker 2: She'll be competing again. I think it's on Friday. But then the quad god Ilian Mallanin is his name, The quad guy he competed ended up. He has the skate again on Friday, but he's ahead in the qualifying but Maxim numb Off, his teammate, the young fellow Robes. We were in. We had chills when he made the team. But this is the young man who lost his parents in that crash in DC a year ago that collided over the Potomac with the Army helicopter. He made the team about a month ago. In Robes, he stepped onto Olympic ice today. Damn see, I'm almost in tears just thinking about that moment. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: It was beautiful, It was emotional. He has that picture with him that we've seen now. He has a quote from his dad in his jacket. I mean he is bringing his parents with him on that ice and we're all with him as he escapes.
Speaker 2: That was very cool. We'll tell you what he did say actually on the ice. That was kind of a nod to his parents. Also the other moment Ropes, Ryan Cochrane, Siegel, you know this guy. I didn't. I did hear super g They're going, damn near ninety miles an hour down a hill. He gets silver. It's not his best event. He gets silver, fine, dandy, cool rooting for you. But then they show a picture of his little mom over on the snow. They're cheering for him. Robes, she won gold in the downhill in nineteen seventy frickin two and she's there watching her son get a medal.
Speaker 1: I was a mess that brings Honestly, as soon as you said that, like emotion just floods my face. You can hear it, you can feel the tears coming, because that is such a cool moment.
Speaker 2: It was to see her there with his fiance and it was just very cool. But Ryan Cochran Siegel is gonna give us our quote of the day. We went with something he said in his post race interview, Robes that I inspirational. Maybe you can relate to it for sure, but it lets you know athletes are just like the rest of us. What were the two things I learned today? Two nuggets I learned. One of them, Robes, is that Chloe Kim, the superstar back to back gold medalist snowboarder, is dating the NFL defensive Player of the Year, Miles Garrett. I'm sorry, y'all, I'm behind. I didn't know that either. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I think that's so cool.
Speaker 1: It's an unlikely pairing physically, but it's cool to see them together.
Speaker 2: But he was out there on the snow supporting her. Again the more you know. The other thing, I discovered snowboarders up there getting ready punch their help. They tapped their helmets. I thought they're psyching themselves up. Let's go, commentator said the new technology allows them to tap and start their music.
Speaker 3: That's so cool.
Speaker 2: And they all need hype music before they start their runs. I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I want to know some playlists.
Speaker 1: I bet you their hype It would be an amazing running playlist.
Speaker 2: Ah, they are so cool. Hey, that's your Olympics update. But we've been having a blast watching run.
Speaker 1: We certainly have. But our morning run will take us to Florida. Yes, we'll go back to Milan, Washington, d C. Canada, El Paso, and New York City. But we begin in Tucson, Arizona, where a person of interest in the Nancy Guthrie disappearance was detained late last night and then released at some point in the overnight hours. Now, this was the statement that the Sheriff's department put out that did raise so much hope and so much anticipation. Earlier today, Pima County Sheriff's Department deputies detained a subject during a traffic stop south of Tucson. The subject is currently being questioned and connection to the Nancy Guthrie investigation. Additional information will be released as it becomes available.
Speaker 2: So we were waiting on the next bit of information. The next word that possibly this was the big break in the case. And yes, we got word that the person of interest though had been released, and we got that word from the person of interest himself. He did an interview or reporters were out there on his porch and he gave a few statements. Now he didn't give his full name. Carlos is what he's going by, but he says he's a DoorDash driver who was pulled over. No excuse me, he said, authorities were following him. He noticed and he decided to pull over and see what was going on. He was detained for a couple hours. He said, before they even told him this had anything to do with a kidnapping, Say, say what a kidnapping? I ain't got nothing to do with nothing in Ropes even went as far he didn't seem to know who Nancy Guthrie was. Say he doesn't follow the news.
Speaker 1: Says he doesn't watch the Today Show. He didn't know who Savannah Guthrie was. I mean the reporters were like, you don't know who Savannah Guthrie is.
Speaker 3: He said, I don't watch the news.
Speaker 2: So he said, I hope they get their suspect because I'm not It they better do their jobs and find the suspect that did it so they can clear my name because I'm done again. We are starting over. Excuse me, the authorities aren't starting over, but again, we were going down a path we thought we might get some resolution. No press briefings are planned for today as of this recording.
Speaker 1: Of course, we will continue to follow any developments, and there have been a lot in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, a terrible story to tell you about out of Canada, a mass shooting at a school. We know that at least nine people are dead. Police say seven of them died after being shot at the high school.
Speaker 3: This was in British Columbia.
Speaker 1: They found two other people who were shot dead at a nearby home and they believe it is connected to the shooting at the school.
Speaker 2: And no motive right now being addressed by authorities, where a shooter was later found dead with a self inflicted gunshot wound according to a police and as of this recording, it's unclear if or how many of the dead are actually students.
Speaker 1: But we've been Next up on our run, I turned out to do some breaking and bizarre aviation news the FAA has halted all flights coming in and out of El Paso International Airport for the next ten days. The reason unspecified special security reasons.
Speaker 2: Okay, we need to hear answers to this. Overwhelmingly, the majority of you listening are not planning any trip to El Paso, Texas, but we need to know what this is about and soon. The restriction here includes all airspace over El Paso in the neighboring town of Santa Teresa, New Mexico. Now, the airport's sent out a notice saying all flights have been grounded, including commercial flights, cargo, and general aviation, and that the restrictions had been issued on short notice. As of this recording, FA is not giving us further guidance or explanation about what is going on. Let your conspiracy theories run wild. This is some movie ish we've seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, like you said, we need more information. There needs to be clarification. This is just and it was sudden. Even the airport's like, what the hell, we have no idea what's going on.
Speaker 2: I immediately went to aliens or something, right, it was my first thought.
Speaker 1: I was sorting yeh, I mean, why that particular airspace until February twentieth, at eleven thirty pm. There will be no flights coming in or.
Speaker 3: Out of El Paso, Texas.
Speaker 1: More to come on that one, but in the meantime, next up on the run, an annual tradition of bipartisanship has been canceled, shocking in these times. The National Governors Association has announced it will not hold its yearly meeting with the President after the White House plan to only invite Republican governors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might have heard about this, that they do it every year the governors. Every US governor gathers in DC, gives them an opportunity to stop by the White House while they're there, so they're there for their own meeting, and while they're all there together. I think this is a really nice thing.
Speaker 3: It is nice.
Speaker 1: Isn't this what the United States of America should be doing at least once a year.
Speaker 2: That they're talking and working through issues that state governors certainly have to deal with, and we are all together. You're never altogether. Let's swing by the White House, say hello, what a nice moment that is being canceled. And that's a damn shame. And the head of the Governor's Association is Republican from Oklahoma, Kevin Stitz. He released this statement quote because the National Governor's Association's mission is to represent all governors, the Association is no longer serving as the facilitator for that event and is no longer included in our official program.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so here is the White House with their response to that. I just spoke with the president about this. This is Carolyn Levitt. Correct, Okay, I assume, but I just wanted to clarify. I just spoke with the president about this. It is a dinner at the White House. It's the people's house. It's also the president's home, and he can invite whomever he wants to dinners and events here at the White House.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: Sure, that's true.
Speaker 1: But is that in the spirit of what the dinner is supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Why we have a dinner like this?
Speaker 1: Again, he is the president of the United States of America, not just the Publican States of America can.
Speaker 2: Even be in the same room together. I refused to even be in the same room. That one sucks, all right. Continuing here with the Trump administration. They tried, but a grand jury said no to indicting those Democratic lawmakers who participated in a video reminding soldiers of their right to refuse illegal orders. You'll remember that story, oh.
Speaker 1: Yes, And remember there were six lawmakers in the video, including Senator Mark Kelly, who has had a lot coming at him because of being in that video. But the question is, will the Trump administration just say cool, we respect what you just said, Grand jury, or are they going to try again to find a way to punish these six lawmakers.
Speaker 2: Where was it with Kelly? He sued them. They're trying to take his pension and dap his rank.
Speaker 1: There's all sorts of back and forth, all legal, and I believe, yes, it's all still tied up in our court system.
Speaker 2: All right, let's head down the floor for the next leg of our run where that stay carried out The first execution of the year for them at least, This was sixty four year old Ronald Palmer Heath pronounced it dead six twelve pm. Died by lethal injection for the nineteen eighty nine murder of a traveling salesman by the name of Michael Sheridan.
Speaker 1: Yes, police say Heath and his brother rob shot and stabbed Sheraton. Eventually they went on a shopping spree with Sheridan's credit cards. That's how he was eventually found. He did have final words. They were short, but I don't know if this gave perhaps the family members of his victim any sort of relief.
Speaker 3: He said, I'm sorry. That's all I can say. Thank you.
Speaker 1: There are two more executions, by the way, scheduled in Florida over the next two weeks.
Speaker 2: It's actually sixty five year old Melbyn Trotter set to die February twenty four, to fifty three year old Billy Leon Curse a week later. On March third. Last year, Florida set a state record there for executing nineteen inmates, the most in a single year since the death penalty was reinstated in nineteen seventy five. However, many they have scheduled. Robes the governor down there, DeSantis, he signs them that will be more that come up during the year. I think we started the year with eighteen or nineteen scheduled.
Speaker 3: It'll oh, that number will rise, for sure, it.
Speaker 2: Will for sure. Folks, stay with us here on this Wednesday morning run. When we come back, we'll take another dip into Milan where something is happening there that should not be happening. Medals are breaking. What since does that make? Also, we'll give you the details about Maxim Numbov his skating a year after his parents were killed in that plane crash, and Robes is gonna have to explain this one to me. A former Real Housewife of New York is now a former participant of a Real Housewife reunion. Stay here, welcome.
Speaker 1: Back everyone to your Wednesday morning run. And next up on the run, this one's a doozy former Real Housewife of New York City Jill Zaren.
Speaker 3: A lot of folks know who she is. Oh I do?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess maybe we spend time or something we might have because she is in our search shows.
Speaker 3: Yes, she came into the below deck. Yes, that's exactly what that is. Boom, I forgot. That's how you would know her.
Speaker 2: She did not have a good episode, No, she did not.
Speaker 1: When I worked at the Today Show, we I think I interviewed her several times. She's a loud, outspoken woman. She's not afraid to share her feelings as many of the Real housewives are. She was perfectly cast in that show, but she just got fired from her upcoming reunion show series. It's called The Golden Life because of a now deleted video about Bad Bunny's halftime performance. Here is what producers for this new show released in their statement about firing Jill's Arran. They said, in light of recent public comments made by Jill's eron Blink forty nine Studios has decided not to move forward with her involvement in the Golden Life, we remain committed to delivering the series in line with company standards and values.
Speaker 2: So what is she say? I thought she had written it?
Speaker 3: She did, She stayed all oh, I watched the whole video.
Speaker 2: Is she just saying it to videos? Talking to somebody?
Speaker 1: He is saying it too camera. You can hear people in the background clearly. I think they'd been partying. Maybe you know, she had having some fun watching the Super Bowl and she decided to pull up her phone and say this to video.
Speaker 3: Okay, I actually transcribed this from her video.
Speaker 2: All right, She says it was the worst halftime show ever. It's two hundred and fifty years that were celebrating right now in the United States, and I just don't think it was appropriate to have it in Spanish. That didn't get her fired, right, it gets worse, I know, but that's not the fireable part, is it.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, kind of it is. I mean, she just it's in its entirety. I don't think anything she individually said was that terrible, but they just didn't like what she had to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, quite frankly, I didn't need to see him grabbing.
Speaker 3: His what g areas genitals?
Speaker 2: His g area. I think it was totally inappropriate. You got all these young kids watching the super Bowl and he doesn't have to be grabbing himself every five seconds seconds? Is he so insecure? Okay, maybe I need to go back and watch this. It's getting funnier. I don't speak Spanish. I would have liked to have known the words that he was saying. To me, it looked like a political statement because there was literally no white people and the entire thing I think it was an ice thing. Okay, this is good. I think that the NFL sold out, and it's very sad because it's been seventy five years. It's a shame. Shame. Is there more?
Speaker 1: Yes, Then she went on to start trashing Lady Gaga. By the way, when she said there were no white people then she starts talking about Lady Gaga, who is clearly white, and Lady Gaga got a facelift. I didn't recognize her. I literally had to google her face to see who it was. She said that they actually, she.
Speaker 3: Said it made it.
Speaker 1: It was the only thing interesting about the halftime show because she was able to google Lady Gaga's face and that was actually provided some entertainment because yeah, she was just me.
Speaker 3: It was me.
Speaker 1: So in addition now to deleting that post, she's also disabled the comments on our instagrams. Yeah, because apparently people who saw it before him said she was getting abs absolutely crushed by comments about her video. Now, look, she was set to appear in ten episodes of this reunion series, but she she said she gave us. She said the producers didn't even give her a chance. She said, I took it down right away. People make mistakes.
Speaker 3: I'm human.
Speaker 1: She's very upset that she's been removed from the show based on this video.
Speaker 3: She put up, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Sometimes words have consequences. They made they call I need to see the video. I don't know how it comes off.
Speaker 3: She comes off just kind of spouting off.
Speaker 1: This is just what she thought, and it was described as racist, and so I was kind of prepared for something worse.
Speaker 3: So maybe my expectations were, Oh, what did she say?
Speaker 1: Then when I watched the video, Yes, I can see how that was offensive to some people, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It's so funny given Jill Zara and we in fact, anyone who should who wants to, they should check out that below Deck episode that was entertaining.
Speaker 2: That was the first time you introduced me to her, and then I watched I said, oh, okay, see what you were talking about this but this part it always drives me crazy. Right, how many we've been in she said, it looked like a political statement, and because there were literally no white people in the entire thing. The number of rooms I have to be in.
Speaker 1: Where you look around and say, there are literally no people of color in this room.
Speaker 3: But when the roles are reversed, very wrong.
Speaker 2: Here the statement is being made. I don't see whites represented. Okay, I don't know Jill's ayren. She had a bad moment, but that is hilarious to me. The number of times you don't even notice it because your the environment is comfortable. She's uncomfortable just watching something on TV that doesn't include more of her. Come on, lady, I don't know you. Jill's are and I'm not. I don't want to make some indictment on the lady, but that statement there, given experience.
Speaker 3: Is just and that's most likely why she was removed from the reunion series, which one is she she was on Real Housewives of New York City.
Speaker 2: Was that a diverse cast?
Speaker 1: You know, Kelly ben Simone our friend shoes on it. Oh no, it's not a diverse cast at all.
Speaker 2: No, okay, Oh well continue, let's go back him along with his next leg. Beautiful story here. Maxim Noomov did get a chance to skate today. He did the men's short program. This was the young fellow we all celebrated after he made the Olympic team. But the connection to him being here and being on the team and skating and even that crash his parents died in, it's all tied together. And to see him standing there Olympic rings under his skates, damn that.
Speaker 1: It was very cool and he qualified, which is so exciting. He got eighty five point sixty five qualifying score in the short program.
Speaker 3: He's in fourteenth place.
Speaker 1: That means he gets to skate again on Friday, which is so cool. When he got his score, he fell to his knees. Look what we just did. Oh, I'm gonna start crying. Talking to his parents, he held up a picture of them, and then he showed he showed the quote that he has inside his jacket from his father, Expect the unexpected, which is so chilling. You can apply it obviously to what he's going through right now, but also what he's been through. The fact that that was his dad's quote, and then for him to be living out this nightmare and dream all at the same time is making his dad's words come to life in ways that no one could have extended.
Speaker 2: Pretty special story, that kid. And it was the score he skateed. Yes, it was good enough for fourteenth. He gets to skate on Friday. This was the short program. The other one's called the free skate. But listen to this how is it possible? Ropes? That was his best score of the season. It's amazing, like he did his best performance in that moment with all this man the Olympics. You all get up at two and three in the morning and so nobody will see you crying or.
Speaker 3: Say or you could just watch it in prime time like most people.
Speaker 2: All right, last one here for are run today. Not Olympic records being broken, more medals themselves being broken than maybe the records, because at least six athletes have said the medals broke after winning events, including some US medalists. And I've seen the videos. You see them fall off their necks. It's kind of hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's because they're jumping up and down. It's kind of funny. But that's when it happened. Did you see the German the biathlete that was hilarious?
Speaker 2: Sor I've been working my whole life for this moment. I just got a medal and I can't jump and celebrate. Gotta here's your goal.
Speaker 1: Be careful, Yeah, don't jump too don't celebrate too much. Yes, so ski or Breezy Johnson's gold medal. I think that was the first one we heard about broke. As she was celebrating her when she said, don't jump up and down like I did. She said, it's definitely heavy, heavier than expected. I think maybe that's why it broke. She was being kind, but it's actually it's the piece that attaches the ribbon to the groove in the metal that broke, and that's where it's breaking them.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I thought it was the metal itself and that was confusing to me. No, it's the thing that attaches the ribbon.
Speaker 2: Well, if anyone has ever bought a very cheap necklace or a cheap charm, you, yeah, the thing gives right, that's or cheap keychain even that'll give that little Why are Olympic medals made in this shoddy of a way?
Speaker 1: Yes, and this by by the way, we're seeing it now, but apparently this has happened in other Olympics, maybe not this prominently, but yeah, figure skater Alyssa Lous gold medal did the same thing. Skier Jackie Wiles bronze medal did the same thing. A Swedish cross country skier, a Dutch skater, and that German.
Speaker 3: Biathlete who we saw. They put the video.
Speaker 1: It went viral, solarious with the metal clinking to the ground, with.
Speaker 2: His team jump up and down and you see one guy stop and go down to his feet. What's happening? So they are taking this situation seriously, they say, Olympic offictionals say they're aware, understand that there is a problem here. We are paying I love this maximum attention to this matter. They are given new medals, I'm told, but with the same problem. They're just replacement metals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like they're getting a new, newly and better reinforced.
Speaker 3: They just know not to jump, now, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's a funny, very very fun story. Finally, here our quote of the day. I took this one from Ryan Cochrane Siegel who got his silver medal coming down going whatever it is, eighty ninety miles an hour they're going, got a silver, not his best event. His mom is the one who's a nineteen seventy two gold medalist. She was there watching this beautiful, beautiful moment. You're waiting for his poetry to come out of his mouth and his post race interview about the gold, and there was plenty of that. But this is the quote I plucked toward you Ropes, and this lets you know that, hey, these Olympians are just like us.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 2: I definitely had to fight some demons with the toilet before my run.
Speaker 3: You know, you're in a foreign country.
Speaker 1: He ate something you shouldn't have you're a little add that to the nerves of the day in competition and everything. It is not a good combo.
Speaker 2: He was talking about combining those things. It was it was so much about nerves and how he felt combined with He wasn't feeling well and he was just a mess, and he had talked about it. But to hear him say that you and I run marathons. Yeah, and there's always a delicate stomach balance.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it is tough.
Speaker 2: Hear him say it. He just this beautiful moment and he just had an honest quote. Now I thought it was cool.
Speaker 3: That is that isn't it?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 3: Yes, they are Olympians.
Speaker 1: They physically can do things that the rest of us cannot, but they still are human beings who are subjected to all of the things that we deal with when we travel, when we're nervous.
Speaker 3: But yes, that's cute.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Their bodies do things ours cannot, but their bodies also have to do things ours have to do too. I definitely had to fight some demons with the toilet before my run. A successful run. Congrats to him and all the Olympians and they thank you, all those Olympians for the entertainment and the joy and the pride. Frankly, you give us. We even look at uniforms and go, Wow, that one's cool or that one's cool. Wait, you see the stars and stripes. You can't help, don't. You can't see their faces sometimes, but man, you see that red, white, and blue, and you get proud and you root for them. And this is special about the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Ropes, I know this is we love the Olympics. Every two years.
Speaker 1: This has been special and it's fun to at least talk about something positive, something good Americans are doing in the.
Speaker 2: World, despite the controversy between Hunter hess and the President. All right, with that, we'll talk to y'all soon. As always, appreciate your running with us. I'm T J.
Speaker 3: Holmes and I'm Amy Robock. Thank you for running with us.
Speaker 2: Wow, you didn't know where you were going.
Speaker 1: Well, you said we'll run with you soon, So then I realized I couldn't say what you just said, so I had to come up with something new.
Speaker 3: Thanks for running with us.
Speaker 2: Sorry, we'll see y'all.