Speaker 1: There eight no party quite like a Marty party. Welcome into Fantasy Pros, everybody. This is the Fantasy Baseball Podcast. I'm your host, Joe Rico, and today we're going to take a look at some rest of season projections. We're going to focus in on the bat X from Derek Cardy, which we hear at Fantasy Pros of crowned as the most accurate projections.
Speaker 2: I want to say, in five of the.
Speaker 1: Last six seasons, very consistently top of the line projections coming out from the bat X. So we're gonna look over what to expect here over the final two months of the year. And we have a great guest intew for the first time on the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast, a dear old friend, Marty Tallman.
Speaker 2: You can find his work over at rodo Baller. Marty. Great to get you on the mike, my friend. How you been doing, man, I've been great, Joe.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 4: As I was telling you, lof air, my first time on Fantasy pro so I can I can check this one off the list. But yeah, it's already August. We blinked, and you know there's only two months left of the season, but it's go time, especially in head to head and rodo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can still make up some room in the standings.
Speaker 1: I find, especially this time of year, there'll be people bottom half of the standings who kind of tune out. They'll think the season's done, they go over to fantasy football. They're just not really paying as much attention as they were in the early months of the season. So it's easier to make up some ground to get players off the waiver wire. And in some cases here we're going to look at the top thirty projected hitters in top thirty projected batters pitchers rest of the season, we're going to just see if there's any surprise names, any big standouts at the top of these projections before we jump into it, though, Marty, are projections a big part of your process? Do you consult them a lot during the season. It feels like for me, at least from a content perspective, we hear a lot about projections from December to March, and then we don't really hear much about them for the rest of the season. But is it something that you still go back and consult throughout the.
Speaker 4: Year projections, especially in the offseason are my starting point right when it starts in the fall, around first pitch Arizona time, you know, we get our Steamer projections. I look at those overall just for fun, just to see kind of what has changed over the year.
Speaker 3: Then as we move closer into winter.
Speaker 4: I use ATC projections for hitting and I use Oopsy for pitching mostly. I mean, there's a couple of different reasons why I use the page number one. We have to limit recency bias, and I think projections do a very good.
Speaker 3: Job of that.
Speaker 4: They bacon aging curves, regression park factors, and typically and this is the way I do my projections three years out, you know, three years before, and kind of build towards the most recent season. But the main thing that you have to do, and this is what I do with my projections after I put them into my little spreadsheet, is you have to make manual adjustments on playing time. And I think that's I think that would be the biggest takeaway out of any projection conversation is that you have, yes that you can look at them and you can somewhat rely on them, but you have to make adjustments to playing time or you're not using them. Properly, so as far as off season, they are the beginning of my projections and then moving into the actual Like during the season, I use weekly projections to help me with my weekly lineups, especially if I'm looking at two pitchers with similar matchups, I will typically go what my projections say is the best route, and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's pretty much how I at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Trust your evaluations. But projections is a good place to start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think especially the playing time point is really important. Like, I don't think I'm going to be better at any of the systems than projecting batting average and on base percentage, and you know, the home runs per at bat, stolen bases per at bat, or per played appearance. But if you do think a guy has an edge for playing time and they are only projecting him for forty fifty games two hundred played appearances, you can't get some advantages there. If you are locked into a specific team, you know, obviously follow the beat writers and see if there's legs up for playing time and spring training and all that the rest of season. Though, it is interesting the way that the projections do shape out in the way that they do adapt over the.
Speaker 2: Course of the season.
Speaker 1: If you look at the rest of the season projections, and we'll start on the hitters here, there are some names that do stand out that would definitely have not been here if you looked in March now, Marty, looking at the top of the leader board, Shoheo Tani still projected far and away as the most valuable player, Junior kiman Aro second, Bobby with Junior third, Jordan Nelvz fourth, and the Fernando.
Speaker 2: Tatists Junior coming in at five.
Speaker 1: You mentioned before we started recording that Otani was kind of interesting to you see the main standout here among the top five projected hitters.
Speaker 4: Well, what I see with Otani, and this is something that we talked about, is that sometimes projections cannot move fast enough. I mean, they are inherently conservative and they are basing their projections off prior years. But when something happens, such as knee soreness, that's something you must take into account. So when I actually went and broke down Shojo Tani, he's expected to have have six more stolen bases for the rest of the year. I don't think that's at all. I don't think he's gonna come anywhere near that. I think we'll be lucky to get one, two, maybe three. Now, that may not be the biggest deal, but if you're in a head to head league, you know you drafted Otani to help you with stolen bases down the you know, down the stretch here, and Dodgers had absolutely no reason to force steals on him, you know. I think I think that's something you have to be be aware of when you are using projections, is that up to date injuries may not be captured. And I think stole in bases is the biggest one with Otani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we can see projections lagging behind a little bit on the actual data. It depends on the specific system, but a lot of the time these are just the numbers, and if there is something that happens off field or even on field, sometimes they can be kind of late to capture those changes, especially in season. But Otani at this point in time, if you look at them, projected fifty six dollars player. The next highest is Camon Arrow at forty five, and I think i'd agree there. I'm not sure he'll be a net positive and stolen bases going forward. I still think, hey, you know, if you were going to do projections rest of the season, I might still have him number one, just because he is show Hay and even with the soreness, if he hit fifteen home runs rest of the season, it wouldn't surprise me. But I think those steals, that is a really good point looking at the next group, the name, you know, going back to the adapting nature of projections during the season, sometimes they miss out, sometimes they hit. But Pete crow Armstrong projected as the number seven hit or is not something that we would have seen during the course of the preseason. This is something that we have seen change during the year. And PCA has been incredible. He's followed up his thirty thirty year with what I would say is an even better performance.
Speaker 2: He's getting on base quite a bit more.
Speaker 1: He's already got twenty six homers twenty eight steals at the time of recording. Now, Marty, I would imagine, without pulling them up, if you looked at rest of the season projections this time last year, PCA would have also scored very, very highly, and then he fell flat on his face with the final two months of the year. Is there any chance in your mind the PCA does fall back down to earth. As we're recording this right around fantasy trade deadlines. Would you be trying to sell high on PCA and get another first round player thinking that he might fall off again, or do you think that he is a better version than last year.
Speaker 4: I absolutely think he's a better version, and I would not be selling him. And the biggest reason why is his walk percentage. Last year four point five percent walk rate. This year it's all the way up to twelve percent, which means a couple of different things. Obviously, the plate discipline is better, which means he's not chasing as much, and that gives him an opportunity to hit the pitches that are good, you know, and put him over the fence or put him into the corner for a triple or a double. And then if he can, he increases on base percentage to where it needs to be for him to be elite. I expect him to be, if not a first round pick, a second round pick next year, probably a first round pick, probably back end the first round in most leagues. But I actually I'm buying the improvements from the Pik prow Armstrong because of the two percent walk rate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. If you look at the entire profile. You mentioned the chase rate, which is always something that was crazy high. It's still pretty high, but he's gone from forty one percent down to thirty three. He's got much better contact rates, especially in the zone. He's cut down on the swinging strikes, and he's still maintaining his barrel rates. His hard hit rate is better than last year, raising the ball slightly more like he's just a better version of what he was last year. And you're still overperforming if you look at the expected slug, expected wOBA, expected batting average. But I'm getting to the point where I don't care as much because of the improvements that we've talked about. His on base rate is one hundred points higher than last year. It was two eighty seven. It is three eighty six at the time of recording. He's got a one to fifty six WRC plus, and he has seven point eight wins above replacement here. We might be looking at a ten win season here.
Speaker 2: From a real life.
Speaker 1: Baseball perspective, do you think that he takes the MVP away from Otani this year?
Speaker 2: Marty?
Speaker 4: As of right now, I do if he keeps this pace up, which is it's an incredible pace. But you add in the defense and he is one of the funnest players to watch in the outfield. He's been incredible all the way across the board. And I'll be honest, I have I think nine teams and only one of them as Pete Crow Armstrong on it because they got them at the end of the third round and I was like, oh, I'll at least just get you one piece of them because.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe in his profile.
Speaker 4: I really didn't think he was going to be this because of the bad obvious percentage and the fact that he does chase and he his plate discipline was horrible.
Speaker 3: But he's completely changed it around.
Speaker 2: I was in the same boat. I was not targeting him.
Speaker 1: I made a bunch of videos on this channel that you can go back and dunk on me for where I said to fade Pete crow Armstrong and I should be dunked on for it. My thought process was he's pretty much the same guy as Michael Harris as today in Rafaela. They have a very similar type of profile where they can give you the power and the speed without great on base raids. Good defensive players, all of them, so they're going to stick in the lineup. And I've wanted to target the cheaper guys in that tier, which were Harris and Rafaela, and finally they've all actually paid off handsomely. Not quite to the same degree as PCA, but all of them have kind of made improvement from that same type of player profile heading into the season. The other name that really stands out at least amongst the first round players because you go down here, Elie Dela Cruz A, Kunya Harper, Carrol Kurtz, Churio, no big surprises, but Miguel Vargas ranked as the number eleven headed rest of the season from the bat Ax, and it's hard to argue with what we've seen this year. Twenty four homers, eleven steals. The batting average is kind of low at two thirty nine, but he's got the on base rate at three forty four. His ops is eight twenty three, and he's just improved across the boards from already pretty solid numbers last year. Marty average eggsit velocities up, barrel rate is up five points, hard hit rate is up six points. He's just a really polished hitter going to those play discipline numbers. He doesn't chase good contact rates, doesn't swing and miss a lot. I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying in previously, but I am definitely bought in on Migel Vargas going forward.
Speaker 2: What do you have to make of him?
Speaker 3: So coming into the season, I was big on Migdel Vargas.
Speaker 4: I really like the yet a decent last month of the year and twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: I did not expect it to be this great of the season.
Speaker 4: He has really turned around and when you look at his STA cast added, he looks like he's one of the best hitters in all the baseball now with his bad AX projection rest of season, I am going to fade him. The last two weeks, he's slashing one ninety six, two ninety six, four thirteen and the strike up percentage has gone from seventeen percent all the way up to twenty six percent. So we've striking out a quarter of the time over the last two weeks. And I believe fatigue is somewhat part of it. But I also think pictures are just sudjusted. I think after you've shown after a few months that you know you are a threat, I think pictures start to take you seriously, and I believe they're working.
Speaker 3: The in and out of the zone more than they did previously.
Speaker 4: And I'm not sure when this does release, but for this trade deadline in most YAHOO leagues is August sixth, which is today. Sometimes maybe you have some people have changed that. But if it was possible, I would sell high for the rest of season for Miguel Vargas because of this strikeout rate going up and his slash line over the last few weeks.
Speaker 1: It's interesting too, because we are looking at the bat X and they are the high projection on him. If you look at all the other systems, they are at least eleven points shy of the WRC plus projection that the bad X has. The BAT has one twenty four, and that's without incorporating the stat cast data. Oopsie at one sixteen ATC one seventeen, Zips at one sixteen, So maybe you're onto something.
Speaker 2: The majority of the systems here.
Speaker 1: Are kind of They're not fading him necessarily, but fading this ranking of him as a top ten hitter I think would be the better way to put. It's still a good hitter, but is he a top ten hitter in baseball? All of a sudden, I would tend to agree that he's probably not quite on that level yet. Before we keep it going on to remind you guys about my playbook, you'll instantly identify the best pickups available in your league when every trade with our trade analyzer and see the most optual lineup every day based on our projections and your specific scoring settings. It is getting late in the season, but you can still sink your league at fantasypros dot com slash MLB, my playbook or download the Fantasy Pros at for personalized expert advice. If you want to get a free peak behind the paywall as well, go to fantasypros dot com slash free to check out all of the premium tools. Marty, we're going to keep it going with some more hitters here in the back half of the top thirty Keet Alonzo at fifteen, James Wood sixteen, Jose Ramirez, Julio not really super super surprising names. Is there anybody that stands out from you from this back group? I know there are a couple for me, but is there anybody that particularly peaks your interest here in this group of hitters.
Speaker 4: I actually do, if you don't mind, I want to take the step back and look at Elie daylight.
Speaker 2: Brous just absolutely absolutely and the reason.
Speaker 4: And the reason being when you look at his because you're hearing a lot about you know, he has twenty one stolen bases and the hamstring injury as kept him, you know, from really hitting that extra level that you expected from them when you drafted them in.
Speaker 3: The first round.
Speaker 4: Now he has seven stolen bases over the last two and a half weeks, which tells me the hamstring is good to go. He is projected for ten or more stolen bases rest of season, and I would take the over on that. I wouldn't be surprised if we see twelve thirteen, you know, stolen bases moving forward. So de la Cruse owners, you know, rest easy. The stolen bases are going to be there by the end of the season.
Speaker 3: Good Now.
Speaker 4: I was looking at James Wood and Jose Ramirez, and mostly because of the injuries.
Speaker 3: You know lately.
Speaker 4: You know, James Wood, he has an oblique injury, so I wouldn't expect him until mid September. As you see the bad acts, I mean, there's no reason not to love what he does. You know, I think he's ranked as the sixteenth best hitter moving forward, but because of that oblique injury, he may not be up, you know, one hundred percent maybe for the rest of the season. They said it was mild, but that can still mean you know, he's out until September, if not till mid September. And Jose Ramirez, I mean man the handmaid surgery in June. We've seen that sometimes the handmad phone, when it breaks, it can really hamper your season for the rest of the year. And he's been having He's in the he's in the lineup today, but we've seen the lingering hand soreness. And since he's returned from that injury, he has no home runs. He has a twenty nine WRC plus and when you go to the Bad Express of season projections, it hasn't projected for eight home runs.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to vastly take the under on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of good points across the board. I want to go back to Ellie as well, because he's a guy that I've always faded. I've never been a big Ellie guy. The first round value, second round value. I've always worried a lot about the high strikeout rate, the fact that, especially last year, it seemed like he was playing hurt. So I down the stretch last year wasn't a big fan faded him coming into this year. But I think that this is probably the best version of Ellie that we've seen when he's been out there. A fifty two hard hit rate is an eight percent increase. His barrel rate, which was already into the double digits pretty much every year of his career, is up to fourteen percent, and his average eggit velocity is up three miles an hour. He's always lived in the ninety one mile an hour range, he's now up to ninety four. Really come a long way as a hitter. He doesn't chase nearly as much as he used to, his contact rates are better, and his swinging strike rate at eleven percent is really good, especially for a guy with his type of profile. So I think next year will probably be the first year that I'm a huge target of Ali Dela Cruz in the first round.
Speaker 2: I assume he'll still be a first rounder.
Speaker 1: But the more I look at him, the more I do like him. Marty so I appreciate going back to Ali there, and I wonder with Jose Ramirez if we've kind of reached the end of the line with him.
Speaker 2: As a first round player at this point.
Speaker 1: I'm still I still think he's gonna have a couple of good seasons ahead of him. But as a guy who's always been a little bit on the margins in terms of how hard he hits the ball, we're looking at a sub ninety mile an hour average EGSIT velocity, the barrel rates in the single digits going back five years now. Hard hit rates are not great. Where would you expect to want to draft him next season, Marty? Is he a second rounder? Does he slip even further than that? Or maybe is he still a first rounder for you?
Speaker 3: I could see a world where you could get Ellie Day La Cruz at the back end of a fifteen team league and then maybe around the bend, get Jose Ramirez as a one to two punch. I don't think that's going to be impossible now.
Speaker 4: If that being said, if he has a month where he does hit by home run, steal five stolen bases in the last few weeks, he'll probably go up maybe to that mid first round late first round value, but if he continues this, I could see him dropping to early second round.
Speaker 3: I think that would be the biggest drop.
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder I peopleould start to worry about the age or anything like that, but I think third base as well keeps him higher than he'd be if he was say first base or any.
Speaker 3: Other safty three right now.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's hard to project with this type of profile when the cliff will come, but I feel pretty confident we got at least a couple more years, and if he's a second rounder, I feel like I'm going to probably take that a couple of times. Looking at the rest of this list of the projected hitting leaders from the bat X, I think the biggest name that stands out to me is probably Dansby Swanson projected as the twenty seventh best hitter rest of season, and it's.
Speaker 2: Been not a great year for him.
Speaker 1: His ninety five WRC plus is the worst he's put up since twenty nineteen, Funnily enough, the Happy fun Ball season, and it was not a good year for Dancey. Baseball is a weird sport, but it really feels like it comes down to it. I don't know if you remember this, Marty, but there was like a week stretch where Dansby went just nuclear. He had a three home run game, he had a couple of two home run games. I think there was a ten RBI game. Outside of that, It's not been a great season for him. He's hitting two twenty. He's got a two ninety six on base rate, which is the worst of his career. Now, he's still pacing out very well with runs in RBI, seventy two runs sixty three RBI, seventeen homers and sixteen steals is nice. But am I alone here in feeling that this little bit bullish on Dansby at this point in his career, with what we've seen fro him this season.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're right on now.
Speaker 4: The first two three months did sink, you know, his his ratio stats. I mean, you just can't come back from that when you're bat one fifty for that long. Now, the Cubs are going to continue to play him. They never took him out of the lineup. He's going to play every single day. And his biggest adjustment that he made about a month or two though, is the way he approaches breaking boughs. So I think that he's going to be able to maintain the two fifty average with decent pop and maybe a stolen pupple stolen bases. Now, is he a top twenty five bat moving forward?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: But there's no reason to move on, no reason to trade him or move on from him in any way.
Speaker 3: He will be better than he.
Speaker 4: Was in the first two months, but he will not be better than he was over the last thirty days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a really strange season for him, and I get again this is just kind of the natural weirdness of but in April he has a one eighteen WRC plus, in May it's thirty. In June it's one twenty seven, in July it's ninety two, and then in August it's back up to one sixty eight. He's having a crazy August. To this point, they'll probably even out somewhere in the middle where he's been close to a.
Speaker 2: League average bat. But that's kind of where I see him.
Speaker 1: At this point as a kind of a league average bat, And maybe some of the counting stats that you get in a member of a good lineup will help the counter some of that decline. We're seeing another guy who is going to be thirty three. You actually know he'll be thirty three at the beginning of next season, but thirty two and a half you start to see some of the warran terry. He hasn't had a league average WRC plus going back to twenty twenty three. So I wonder if this, for me personally, might be the end of my interest in Dansby Marty. I wonder on the rest of the hitters, is there anybody else that really stands out to you that you'd like to talk about.
Speaker 2: Before we move on to the pitchers.
Speaker 4: A few So just briefly on Freddie Freeman hit on the hand, X rays negative, but you never know.
Speaker 3: X rays can lie the initial ones that there's a lot of swelling.
Speaker 4: So monitor his power and monitor the fact that he's thirty six years old and the Dodgers won't push him.
Speaker 3: There's no reason too.
Speaker 4: And I do want to spend a moment on your boy, Vladimir de Airo Junior. God not to bring up pain, but projections have always been very optimistic on him. He has the back issues and I wanted to ask you this. There's been questions by the manager about his durability and more importantly, his work ethic. You follow the team closely. From everything I've seen, he tries to play as much as possible. Is there something that I'm missing?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a work ethic issue because you see how well he plays on defense, and he really hustles on He's always been a pretty good defender, and the metrics have kind of caught up to it over the last year or so. He does have a gold glove, but you can see the hustle that he plays within the field. I don't think it's laziness necessarily. I think there is something going on with his back. There is some injury concern there that has probably hampered the play.
Speaker 2: But he's also ala.
Speaker 1: This has been the downside of Vlad I think not maybe we didn't expect it to this degree, but as a guy who is an extreme ground ball hitter throught his entire career, He's only had a double digit launch angle once in twenty twenty three, and it was ten and a half degrees. This is kind of the downside when you're hitting as many balls as he does on the ground. A forty nine percent ground ball rate. The home runs. This is the worst case scenario that you're just not going to hit home runs. He hasn't hit a home run at the Rogers Center in Toronto since the ALCS.
Speaker 2: It's been that long.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a calendar year, damn near pretty soon if he doesn't get one out of the yard. I don't think it's necessarily that Lad is lazier, that he's not trying. I think there is an element to maybe sometimes he can goof off a little bit too much, and you see in the field he'll be like fooling around with a player who's on first base on the other team, and the optics are kind of bad. It's like, all right, you're hitting like two hundred over the last two months. I don't really want to see you laughing and goofing off. But at the same time, I don't want to see him miserable. I don't think that that's going to help him turn things around either. But I do think that there's maybe a little bit of growing up for Vlad to do. I think he needs to spend an offseason, whether at drive Line or at one of those hitting facilities, and really work on raising the ball. His attack angle is the lowest in all of baseball. He needs to really work on raising the ball. I think that inside of vlad there is and I've said this before, it's a Hall of Fame level talent. We saw him at age twenty two small ballpark or no small ballpark, hit forty eight homers and hit three eleven. Two years ago he hit three twenty three with thirty homers. Like every year of his career, even when he's been disappointing, he's still been very good. So I feel like there's some mechanical things going on, and also with the back issue, there's probably some injury stuff that's been ailing him as well. Does that sound reasonable to put it that way?
Speaker 3: It does hit.
Speaker 4: I'm still confused by the man. You know, your manager's questioning or you know what he said about Vladimir Deiro. But yeah, not to pile on the Chandler Simpsons still does have a higher slugging percentage.
Speaker 2: It's it's like unfathomable.
Speaker 1: If somebody has told you that before the season, you would have told them that they need to sober up and they shouldn't be talking baseball because what kind of a take is that that's what you would and it would have been the reasonable position. But here we are, with two months left, Vladimir Gerra Junior without a home run at the Rogers Center.
Speaker 2: It's very sad.
Speaker 1: We're going to get out of the hitters and move into the pitchers in a second. But first I want to remind you guys about the presenting sponsor of our show, and that.
Speaker 2: Is Hard Rock Bet. Some sports fans will call this the slow period.
Speaker 1: There's no hockey right now, there's no basketball, there's no real football yet.
Speaker 2: But on hard Rock Bet, we still call it baseball season.
Speaker 1: And this summer, hard Rock Bet has the hottest betting odds in Florida, introducing the ten cent summer sale, big juice fee, whatever you call it. We're cutting are cut on winter spreads and over under pregame baseball bets, the same bets, but better. If you're ready to step into the batter's box, sign up with hard Rock Bet today in place a five dollars bet. If it wins, you get one hundred and fifty and bonus bets on top of your winnings. Florida's legal, only legal sportsbook is hard Rock Bet. But you don't have to be in Florida to join the party. Hard Rock Bet is also live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan, with more states on the way. So grab your bat and swing for the fences all August long during hard Rock Bets ten cents Summer Sale, Download the hard Rock Bet app today and roll with us. Payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminol Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminole hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states, must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one A three to three play wise. In Indiana, if you are someone you know as a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. In Arizona, Ohio and Virginia, call one eight hundred mis reset gambling problem called one eight high hundred Gambler Marty, Let's switch gears and talk about the pitching leaders. Looking at these rest of season projections from Derek Carty's the bat X and at the top, probably to the surprise of nobody, is Jacob Mazerowski fifty cents ahead of Trek Schouble? It is very very close. What do you make of that first off? Before we keep going, is Jacob Mizerowski clearly decidedly the best pitcher in baseball? Has he surpassed Trek Scouble at this point?
Speaker 4: I would this version of Schooble right now. Yes, I don't believe he's one hundred percent, you know, after the elbow surgery and the six week turnaround on that. Just as a Tiger's fan, I've watched nearly every one of the starts throughout over the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: And he's not. He's not the full school yet.
Speaker 4: I say he's about eighty five percent him, which is still ninety percent better.
Speaker 3: Than most of the pitchers in the league.
Speaker 4: So I would give Jacob Misarowski and what he's accomplished this year, I would give him the number one spot. But I believe Schooble Sanchez even dare I say, Zach Wheeler.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been just incredible, but yeah, I give it to the Mis as of now.
Speaker 2: I think it is too.
Speaker 1: The question that I have, and I think that a lot of people will have, is going into next season, what will the rankings look like. I feel like the last couple of seasons it's been kind of elementary at the top of sp rankings. You have Schooble, you have schemes, you have Crochet, and there hasn't been maybe you mix and match a little bit, But I think Mizerowski is a serious contender for the number one spot next year. I think people will worry about, you know, with how hard he throws, could he end up getting hurt? But in your own personal rankings, I know there's a long way to go, but will you have Google backup top?
Speaker 4: You think, Yeah, I haven't obviously haven't gove into them yet, but yeah, I would have Scooble one at this point Miz too. And I see Mis going in the higher especially like the main events. Someone might go one to one with him. You don't, It's it's possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the NFBC world people can do some crazy stuff.
Speaker 1: You do see some players get shot way up draft boards comparative to what you'll see on a Yahoo or at ESPN league or CBS. Part of it is the two catchers. Part of it is that you're playing for an overall, not just for your own league of twelve people, but there's overall contests made up of all the other leagues competing in that contest, which I probably did a poor job of explaining that just there. It's a little bit complicated if you've never played with it, but a lot of different factors mean that there'll be different type of ADPs that you'll see in some of the high stakes leagues. And I wonder, yeah, maybe Misowski does get taken one to one by somebody. He finishes out this year healthy and has a one to five ERA and a point eighty five whip.
Speaker 2: You're probably gonna see it now.
Speaker 1: Keeping going down this list, Sanchez is at number three, and then Jacob de Grom coming in at number four. I got to admit, even as a huge deGrom fan, is a bit surprising going back over his last thirteen starts, Jacob deGrom hasn't been great. He has a four to eighty three ER and he has a one twenty nine whip. A strikeout to walk rates are still good. Overall, under the hood stats are still pretty good, but he's given up a lot of homers, which we have seen from de Grom periodically over the years. I personally don't think it's justified to have him this high on rest of season rankings. From what we've seen, Marty is the track record strong enough in your eyes that you can look past some of the struggles we've seen over the last couple of months.
Speaker 3: I put him more towards the back end of the top ten. I don't have a problem with him being fourth.
Speaker 4: I mean, he pitches in one of the best pitchers ballparks, and he is debately a Hall of Fame pitcher. You know, Yeah, he was, he was able to finish. He pitched a lot last year, he's doing well this year. I don't have any problem with it. I think that any jake up to groam owner in the back of their head is always kind of wondering when you know the wheels are going to fall off type of thing, and at any point where he could get hurt.
Speaker 3: But I don't I don't have a problem with high up. But yeah, maybe not four.
Speaker 4: But also I want to take a step back and actually talk about the miz because I feel like there is there is something that the bad ax is missing with Jado Misroowski. Okay, the bad hasn't projected projected for nine more starts and fifty more innings.
Speaker 3: I'm going to take the under on the fifty innings.
Speaker 4: Over his last five starts, He's only had two starts that were over five innings pitched. There was against the Cardinals and the Angels, two weaker offenses. And when you kind of step back and you take a look at how many innings he has pitched, Let's say he does pitch fifty more innings. Jacob Mirowski pitches fifty more innings this year, he would end the year at one hundred and seventy seven innings pitch, which would be forty eight more than last year.
Speaker 2: Plus you got to.
Speaker 4: Put I mean hopefully, if the Brewers do what they're supposed to do, they're the the best record.
Speaker 3: In the NL.
Speaker 4: He may be be counted to do another twenty to thirty innings, which would get him close to two hundred. So I don't think there's any way that he gets close the fifty innings pitched. I think his last three, two, three, four stars he may only go three innings each. So if you can sell him in the head to head league, I would absolutely do it. In a rotal league, he's not going anywhere. Hold on to him.
Speaker 3: You know, the CA's themselves are worth it.
Speaker 4: But I think the Brewers are one of the smartest organizations in baseball, especially when it comes to pitching. They're going to save the bullets for playoffs. So I would take the under on the fifty innings pitch. What do you think about that?
Speaker 2: I think you're probably right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, looking at where they are in the standings, they don't need to kill him down the stretch. They have the best record in all of Major League Baseball, they're a couple of games clear of the Dodgers, and the Braves actually surprisingly are pretty much part with the Dodgers at this point after a rough couple weeks from the Dodgers. But I just don't think the Brewers will have any need to go more than five innings at the absolute most from Mazerowski. Maybe there is something in the back of their minds. I know they're a smart organization. I wonder they're hoping to get him a cy young and he probably has it, but just let him go. Five innings just so he can keep racking up a couple of wins. Maybe you know, at the absolute most you see five innings, but even that nine more five innings starts, and that seems to be the far end of it would be forty five innings. You start shaving innings off, especially when you are in the head to head playoff situation. He's not going to be super valuable, like you said, in a rodeo format, you don't care when it happens. He's banked all the production that you really need in a rodeo format for him to be number one. But if it's head to head playoffs and you're getting three innings from Zerowski, even if they're three clean innings with seven strikeouts, I think you probably should do at least kick the tires on seeing if you can sell him.
Speaker 2: I agree with you markin is ransom.
Speaker 3: You need a lot, definitely a king's ransom if you were to move him, But especially in quality star leaks, it's something to think about.
Speaker 2: Well, there'll be.
Speaker 1: People who you know, they drop in Crochet and they've missed out on him, or maybe they've had skeemes who's been disappointing or other pictures that they've had that have fallen off or got hurt, and they might be desperate for pitching. And I think you can ask for a king's ransom for Miserowski right now. He's far and away been the best pitcher to date this season. He's having like a Peak de Gram, a Pedro Martinez type of season.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: You can ask for a lot and you might get it, you might not get it, but I think it's worth at least seeing what the market is doing on Mizerowski in your league.
Speaker 2: So I think that's a good call out Marty.
Speaker 1: Going down the list here, Again, nothing super super surprising for me anyway, until I see Nathany Evaldi projected as the number twelve starter. And I like Nathany Evaldi as much as the next guy, but this feels a little bit aggressive. His season has been a little bit subpar, and if you look over the last eleven starts, now, he started off poorly. Two of the first three starts were blow ups. Settle in a little bit. But going back to May twenty eighth, which is eleven starts, it's a four to ninety three era for me Ofvaldi. It's a one twenty eight whip and he's allowed a three twenty Babbitt. He's stranded seventy two percent of his base runners in that time, so it's not really a luck based thing. He has allowed thirteen homers, which is a crazy amount, which maybe that evens out for him a little bit. But again, i'd push back on the notion. If somebody's looking at rest of season projections, as we've talked about, you know, it's trade deadline season, and they're thinking, no, I can acquire Evaldi by low getting an sp one here, I would push back on that.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you look at his stuff plus numbers, So let's just go over the last few years. It's been one hundred or more. This year it's ninety six. So as he approaches you know, his age, he's thirty six years old, He's often injured, and the Rangers aren't fighting for anything. There's nothing much the Rangers that really can do here. I would be worried with Nathany Ivaldi.
Speaker 3: I just the xcra is for twelve the bads.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's around two ninety seven left on base seventy six percent, so nothing really stands out there, but his one twenty one whip is the highest whip he's had since twenty twenty two, so I think that I think he is starting to slow down as he reaches He's at one hundred and twenty seven innings right now. Last year he pitched one hundred and thirty, and then the year before that was one seventy.
Speaker 3: So I think over the.
Speaker 4: Next two months that gives him about forty innings left. I'd be surprised if he even maintains what he's done even over the last month.
Speaker 3: I could see a couple of big stinkers in that.
Speaker 1: I've had some questions recently about is he ad dropped in ten and twelve team leagues, and I think in twelves I'm holding on mostly, But there was a couple of ten team league questions that people said, and these pitchers are on the waiver wire, and I said, yeah, you can ditch him. I mean, in the ten team league, a lot of guys are expendable, but especially when he's performed the way he has. And another thing that kind of stands out is the fastball, not just the fastball velocity, the velocity across his entire arsenal. If you go back to twenty nineteen, he was sitting tighty seven to five on his fastball. Now it's ninety four to six. Now he has added a couple of variations that he throws more now. But his cutter back then was ninety three now it's at ninety. The curveball used to sit at eighty, now it's it's at seventy six. So at his age, you see the stuff decline. You see the spin rates decline, the velocity is down. I think you have cause to be a little bit concerned about Nathany Evaldi at this point. I know he's seen year in and year out as a pretty dependable guy in drafts. And if you look back to twenty twenty one till now three seven five ERA three eighty seven, three sixty three, three eighty, he was obviously a god last year with a one to seventy one ERA. I think that that time has probably come to an end. Though for Nathany Ebaldi. I don't think that he is going to be the value pitcher in the mid one hundreds. For me anyway, I think I think I'm stepping off of that particular train.
Speaker 2: Gavin Williams's look.
Speaker 4: Is, oh, I gonna say just a referee of Baldi the next few matchups, So tomorrow he's first Baltimore, than he's at the Los Angeles Angels home versus Washington home versus the Angels, and then finishes the month up at Milwaukee. So you may want to hold on to him for the those couple of Angels starts, and Washington's been steaking good offensively, but at home, I would trust.
Speaker 1: Thee of all d especially because Washington doesn't have Luis Garcia anymore. James Wood's gone on the IL, So I think even though I think they're still first in run scored, first or second for the year in run scored, which is still baffling, I think you can stream against them at this point.
Speaker 2: I think that is a good call.
Speaker 1: I wanted to mention Gavin Williams just because he has been outstanding as of late, and I saw a stat I forget who posted it. It might have been a Sarah Lang stat that he is one of I think it was three pitchers in Major League history to go five consecutive starts with at least double digit strikeouts and one or zero walks and five straight starts. I would have thought that Randy Johnson or Roger Clemens or you know, somebody would have done it over the years, but there's only a couple names and they're more recent names. I want to say Scherzer and Verlander or something like that. But a historic run from Gavin Williams and what has been an amazing year is era is higher than last year, and I couldn't care less because when you look low the surface, he's gone from a twelve percent strikeout to walk rate to twenty five, which is a super elite number. The whip is at one zero four. I think that Gavin Williams is a pretty certified ace at this point. Marty, what do you make of what he's done this year in Cleveland?
Speaker 4: I would put him rest of season over Paul Schemes me too, Brad Ma He's got a two ninety one Sierra you look under the hood, I mean, it's just been the stuff plus one oh five, career high location plus one oh four and a pitching plus of one oh eight. Last year was ninety nine. So the thirty is a thirty two point three percent strikeout rate. Everything we're seeing right now and typically I'm going to take a look kind of what his next what it looks like for him for his next couple of matchups, but we're seeing one of those types of runs.
Speaker 3: That it's just incredible.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's going to be at the White Sox next home versus San Diego, then he's going to have a two step home vers San Francisco at the Angels, and then finishes it up with your boys Toronto.
Speaker 2: Beautiful schedule.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a nice stretch. That's an absolutely nice stretch.
Speaker 2: It's like every one of them is like a five star type of matchup there. He's just for me.
Speaker 1: I think heading into next year, the question will be do I rank him as an SP one or not? And he might be just outside of it, but I think he's a top twenty SP heading into next year pretty handily.
Speaker 2: Is that sound about right?
Speaker 3: Sounds about right? Yeah, top twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anybody else that really stand out to you on this list, Marty, whether at the top, the middle of the bottom, starters, relievers, anybody in particular that you wanted to talk about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a few, and just afore mentioned a he's not a top five sp rest of season now there's no injury reported on him, but the fastballs down from ninety eight point two to ninety six point nine. His change up's been less effective. He's given up more hot, more hard contact, his command slipping. It's leading to more walks, and I think just overall, the league's just somewhat adjusted to him. You know, if he doesn't have the best stuff, his best stuff, I think he is hitable. I don't know how you feel about Paul Skins, but I probably have him toward you know, he's like, I think he's still a top twenty pitcher rest of season, but you add in Pittsburgh, which has been a better team overall, but the winds aren't often there. I just I don't see how in this I think the projections do lag behind, you know, when it comes to he's not a top five starting pitcher. Instead, who I would put in that conversation is Chris Sale. I think the projections are sleeping on him. I mean, he hasn't given up more than three runs since April sixth. We're in August, so it's been it's been since April sixth that he's given up more than three earned runs and his last outing it was against the Mets, admittedly, but six innings, pitch, nine strikeouts, no walks, no earn runs, and Chris Sale is one of the best pitchers on the planet right now. I think he's easily top five. And then lastly, the guy someone I wanted to go over, well, Blake Snell. I don't know what we're going to get from him. I think it's very interesting that the that actually immediately put him in to well what number is?
Speaker 3: But is he right now?
Speaker 2: I mean they got him up there, they got him tenth, they got him tenth.
Speaker 4: No, there's no I don't know how they can give him top ten considering he's barely even pitched this year, but he should his Snell is going to be pitching upcoming this upcoming Tuesday home versus the Royals. His last rehab start he did, and he had three really good rehab starts. His last one was it was pretty brutal, give up a lot of hits, walk a lot of people. That's kind of the Blake Snell treatment. But more importantly, he was up with seventy three pitches, so I'd expect around eighty from him, which would probably get him to round five innings if maybe with him maybe four innings considering how many pitches he throws per batter, So I don't think he's a top twenty pitcher moving forward. And then who I would put in the top fifteen is Drew Rasmussen. You know, someone that I was huge on coming into the year. I'm buying his projections rest of season. I mean, I still don't think even though I've been on my Twitter talking about him non stop, I still don't think most people know how great he's been so far this season. Rasmussen had ha pitched one hundred and seventeen innings with a twenty six point five strikeout rate, a four point three percent walk rate in a three to nineteen Sierra. When we look at his upcoming schedules at Seattle Great Park at Sacramento, that's going to be a tough one. Sutter Health Park, as we know, is a launch pad, but then home versus Toronto at the Orioles and home versus the San Diego Padre, so a favorable stretch ahead. I think he's I think I would put him into the top fifteen rest of seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just perennially undervalued. I think people will always worry about the volume. A you're going to get one hundred and ten innings one hundred and twenty eight. It doesn't even matter how many innings I get from him. At this point, he's already paid off. But going forward, it just doesn't seem like as big of a concern for me. Even if I get one hundred and fifty innings. In the current landscape, you take that you're getting one hundred and fifty eight like innings. People are going to still probably have some concerns about him heading into next year because he's done this every year of his career, and yet he still isn't that expensive. Maybe he does eventually get expensive, but just feels like a perennial value. I totally agree there. Blake Snell being projected as a top ten pitcher is really weird because Blake Snell, you never really know what you're going to get out of him. But specifically right now, he's going to be coming back for a Dodgers team that we know is going to go to the playoff. They only care about the playoffs. They're not going to push Blake Snell at the end of the regular season.
Speaker 2: There's no need to. You just want him for those playoff outings.
Speaker 1: He's projected by the bad X for three fifty seven era, which is fine, totally reasonable, but a one seventeen whip, I don't get it. He's a guy who in his career there's only been three seasons ever with a sub one twenty whip, and one of them was one nineteen. I just don't think it's realistic to expect that kind of production from him when he gets backed for this team. Now, he might win every single start that he has because it's the Dodgers, but I don't think you're getting that kind of whip, and I don't think you're getting these type of innings either. Forty innings over seven starts. It feels like they're pushing it. And I'll finish up with my thoughts on Paul Skians. I've been concerned about him for a while. We've talked a lot on the show Welsh and I about skiings. You look at his last fifteen starts, which makes up a good majority of the season. There's been twenty four starts total, and over his last fifteen starts, Paul Skeins has a five to twenty ERA and a one forty two whip. Now, part of that I think comes down to the babbup. He's allowed a three seventy nine, babbub, he's only stranded sixty three percent of his base runners. But I don't think that's the entire story. I think what you mentioned earlier with the velocity is really important. Every year, the last couple of years, he's lost velocity. From ninety eight to ninety nine to ninety seven, the stuff has gone down. He just doesn't seem like the same guy that he was in those first couple of seasons. And we could all expect regression after sub to era. You know, you don't need to be a savant to project that, but to this extent, feels like more than just oh, he's regressed a little bit. Do you think he's hiding an injury because I personally think that there's something we're going to hear about in the off season of Skeins tried to work through a shoulder.
Speaker 2: Problem, blah blah blah blah blah, and that's why this happened. Does that sound about right to you? Two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it may just be fatigue. I mean, you come into the World Baseball Classic and you ratchet it up as much as you can that early in the season. It's just hard to keep going into the dog days of summer, and there's there's no proof I had to that, but it's just it just makes sense that you've seen him, whether it's you know, Plancia or even Scooble. Even though he did feel something in his elbow earlier. You know, there's been a lot of pitchers who have struggled, who pitched a lot during that World Baseball Classic. Now I'm still all for it, but I think it's it's a factor. And no, I would not be surprised if a guy throws this hard for as long as he has, especially.
Speaker 4: You know Lsu. I mean, he threw a bunch. You know, he's one as far as he possibly could for a long time there. So, yeah, shoulder issue, hopefully it's not a no elbow, but I mean, yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that they even if there wasn't really too much going on that they say there was just to kind of just you know, get people off his back a little bit because he's still the base of the franchise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I hope that they signed him long term for the sake of baseball. I hope that he's not wearing Dodger blue or pinstripes over the next couple of years, we'll see what happens. But yeah, I wonder if the WBC has an impact. I think it probably impacts of all the positions most maybe relieve because of those high intensity innings in March.
Speaker 2: It's just not built up for it.
Speaker 1: Starters are starting to get into that rhythm, and I think they're probably the second most impacted group. But I think we've seen it even from hitters, like the entire Royals roster pretty much went to the WBC, and outside of Bobbywood Junior, who's doing Bobbywood Junior things when he's been healthy, they've pretty much all struggled. And I wonder if part of it does come down to ramping up into high energy games, high impact games, so early in the season before the body's really up for it. By an interesting discussion, Marty, it's great to do a pod with you. It's been way too long since we've got behind the mic, brother, but I really do appreciate you making the time.
Speaker 2: I want you to let everybody know where they can keep up with you.
Speaker 1: Anything you've got coming up that you'd like to plug, let the people know, Brother, Sure, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Can find that.
Speaker 4: Except Marty underscore Tallman, I'm writing for Rotoballer. The big shift I've had for the last two years is focusing on prospects. So if you're a prospect person, you know, I think you'll really enjoy my work. And Joe, thank you for having me on. Like I said, first time on Fantasy.
Speaker 3: It was a blast.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll definitely have to have you back. Marty is one of the best people, one of the best hangs in person as well. For the couple of years we've gone out to Arizona together. Always a great time. But guys, make sure you are subscribing to the channel. Leave your comments down below. What projections stood out to you when looking at the bat or not even just a bat, take a look at all the projections.
Speaker 2: What stands out to you? Let us know down below.
Speaker 1: Make sure you guys are liking subscribing, doing all that great stuff, and we'll be back again for leading off on Monday. But that will do it for Marty Tallman. I am Joe Rico.
Speaker 2: We'll talk you next time right here on the Fantasy Pros Baseball Podcast.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening to the Fantasy Pros Fantasy Baseball podcast. If you love the show, The best freeway to support us is
Speaker 4: By leaving a positive review on Apple Podcasts or Spotify, follow us on x, Instagram, and TikTok at Fantasy Pros, and subscribe to our YouTube channel at YouTube dot com Slash Fantasy Pros MLB