Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 1: So here we are, Season three, Episode one, Chet Shirt. I'm Stusiasman and Jeff could not be with us today, so we got the fabulous Lou DiMaggio to sit in, not replace, is no replacing Jeff.
Speaker 2: He's one of a kind, as are you.
Speaker 1: And Lou happens to be in this episode, in this entire season, and is a great comedian and I.
Speaker 2: Know where I speak, Yes, it pertains to this season.
Speaker 1: And Lou is also a very very long time dear friend. Yes, we are, so I think we're gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: We're Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we start out the episode Larry and Jeff are walking and apparently Jeff's given up red meat. Yes, and Larry says why, no reason, no reason at all.
Speaker 2: Which you know, perturbs Larry, of course, because that's a major thing to do without having a reason.
Speaker 1: Especially for somebody who obviously likes food as much as Jeff does, right, and then Jeff brings up the restaurant.
Speaker 2: Are you're going to invest in the restaurant?
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of people ted dance in our Michael York. It's a good investment. It's fun, It's going to be great fun. And you know Larry's always up for fun.
Speaker 2: Well, you know it's funny. That's actually one of the most difficult investments to be involved in absolute restaurant. So I go in through with that attitude. You know there's going to be trouble.
Speaker 1: People actually think that there's a sexiness to owning or being involved in the restaurant. It's incredibly hard work and you almost never get your investment back right.
Speaker 2: And I totally understand that you want to have a place to go and hang out. Everybody wants their cheers, peacock and do this and that. But it doesn't work. It doesn't always work that way. And Larry's talk.
Speaker 1: He's eating an apple and then he throws the apple core into a garbage can that's on you know, a street garbage can.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's on the street and privately owns privately owned garbage can.
Speaker 1: And the man who owns it Alan who I'm having lunch with tomorrow, our dear friend. Yes, there was another another great comedian that we all came up at the same time. A catchurizing star gets very angry.
Speaker 2: Hey, buddy, what's the deal? What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Do something in my garbage can? That's no garbage in the garbage can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's my garbage can. So I appreciate it if you want to do that.
Speaker 3: Doesn't garbage belong in a garbage can?
Speaker 2: My garbage belongs in my garbage can. Your garbage belongs in your garbage can. Okay, well, what's the difference. The difference, Yeah, it's mine. The can's not full.
Speaker 3: I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Next thing I see throwing garbage in there, I'm gonna kick his ass.
Speaker 3: I'll give that message to the next guy.
Speaker 2: I'm no, I believe you.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell the next guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do that, very hevy s right. I felt also something to remember later on always always, nothing is always a gift that keeps on giving.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and nothing ever happens without a payoff exactly, and we know that. And then we cut to Barbara played by Carolyn Aaron, who's a terrific actress, answers the door.
Speaker 2: Larry is there to pick up Cheryl. Yes, and today she is amazing, like she's like in the movie interiors in this episode, like she's playing on a whole nother Yeah. Yeah, you know, like she's grief but like again it's played real. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, then we find out we find out that she goes into the other room for something to get Cheryl some brochures I believe, right, And we find out that she that Chet, her husband died, and Cheryl says, she talked about Chet the whole time, and she's clearly grief written, and then Larry says, did you ask her about the picture frame? So clearly Barbara is a framer, right, and they gave her something to frame five months ago and she has not done it because she's been too grieved.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's been dead for four months now. It's enough of a time, exactly, to Larry, that's enough time. Get back to the frame.
Speaker 1: Larry then looks at a picture, a photograph of Chet that's sitting on a table and he's wearing the shirt that lou was wearing.
Speaker 2: Is that the same shirt? I think the only difference is that this is a short sleeve shirt basically very similar. What do they call that kind of a shirt? I don't know. I call it a Tony Soprano shirt, but there's no name that I am aware of. Officially, there was those other shirts. What were they? Cuban shirts that Rodney used to always wear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember Rodney used to always come into Catch a Rising store wearing those shirts. Sometimes Rodney would come into Catch Rising store in his bathroom.
Speaker 2: Yes, you, or he would sit out in the fuse.
Speaker 1: He lived around the corner and he would just show up in his robe or pajamas.
Speaker 2: He literally would be brandy dangers. He would also be in a car in front of the club and have comedians come over and pitch lines, and if he liked him, he would pay them right on the spot. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Sure, he used to hang out at the bar with us a lot, and he would he was very generous with his time. If you wanted a over your bit or your material, he was incredibly generous with his time.
Speaker 2: You know what I loved when he would come into the club and you m seed as I did a lot, And you know that was a job. You had to keep the crowd even and whatnot. And when celebrities would come in a lot of times it would upset, you know, the whole thing of the show and bounce low and you had to get it back or put it. But never Rodney, because Rodney was transcended everyone. He was like everyone was a fan of Rodney's. So if Rodney came in, blew the room away and we would never do too long, no thanks a whole yeah, but he always would make the night better better and we would all profit from it and it wouldn't destroy the show, and everybody was happy and we just went on.
Speaker 1: You know, I hadn't seen Rodney and maybe I would say ten twelve years and I ran into him and he says, hey, Si, and then he did a bit of mine. He remembered a bit of mine for like ten twelve years ago. It was like that was the kind of brain he had. Yeah, he had that kind of brain of just you know. Okay, So Larry's looking at the picture of Chet and he loves the shirt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's exact. Nice show you something different. Well, I love this shirt. Isn't that a great picture? Oh that's exactly the kind of shirt that I would wear. Don't you think.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because it is not the type of shirt he would wear now. But what Jeff and I have noticed in these earlier seasons his style is completely different than what it's turned into.
Speaker 2: It time a long time ago. This was season three, was what two thousand and three? Almost a generation ago? Was that two thousand and three? Two thousand and three? Yeah, yeah, or two? I think thousand two in my recollection really okay? Oh, shooting it.
Speaker 1: Anyway and right, it probably aired in two thousand and three, and Larry's where did he get it? And he keeps on questioning Barbara, pushing where did he get it? To get it at the mall?
Speaker 2: Did he get it? In santimony?
Speaker 1: And you could see that Barbara's like, she's not pleased with these questions. It's like too many questions, and she's weepy and she's very uh.
Speaker 2: But you know what's interesting about this to me is that this is the one This is the genius of Larry. Not to be ridiculous, but it's that inappropriate situation that forced people to think, like, is it really you know, maybe he's right, you know, like it's been it's been four months. Like he plants that too, so that you have to think, what would I do? Would I'd be probing, I would be more sensitive, That's what I'm saying. But like it's he frequently is right. Yes, he's frequently right and wrong at the same time. That's the beauty of this.
Speaker 1: Then she remembers Caruso's on Wilshire is where he got it, and Larry says to Cheryl Bo Cheryl says, check on the frame, and my husband dropped dead.
Speaker 2: Barbara says, well, Larry convinced Cheryl to ask about the frame even though she's already been.
Speaker 1: And Larry says, Cheryl will be dancing around the Trevy Fountain in Rome if I drop dead.
Speaker 2: And Barbara is not ready for this. He literally says, I'm not ready for comedy.
Speaker 1: Comedy, yeah, and clearly she's not. And then we cut to Bobo's Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now this was my first scene actually, so if you want a little inside baseball, everybody that was in that scene, that was the first day of taping for everyone in the restaurant. That was literally so even though.
Speaker 1: We used to back in those days, we used to do things in sequence a lot more, yeah, more than we do now.
Speaker 2: In that case, though, it was really interesting because it really gives you a real it's very real, like people are literally being introduced to Larry for the first time. How are you casting that? I read for the show previous to another role in season. I guess, maybe the previous season. And I went into read with Larry and Jeff was there, I guess, And of course.
Speaker 1: You've known Larry since what nineteen eighty three or something.
Speaker 2: Anything like that. Yeah. So from the improv in New York, and I was given a scenario. I had never done really anything quite like that. No one really did, really, especially auditioning for it, because you had to basically improvise in the audition. And the premise was I was supposed to be an old friend of his who's trying to borrow five thousand dollars. Oh yeah, you know that. Actually that was in a show. Yes, I thought we.
Speaker 1: Did that show too, Barry what was the guy's name, Barry Weener?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So I thought, well, I mean, I know Larry and everything, but I'm not a temporary of his back in the day contemporary. So and I was young for that role.
Speaker 1: The character had been a contemporary of his as a writer on sm right exactly.
Speaker 2: So anyway, long story short, the audition goes very well and they were very happy with what I did, but I didn't get the part, and I thought, oh wow, what you know? You know how it goes with all that stuff. You never you think you did crappy, you get the job, you think you did great, you don't get the job. Whatever. So I didn't get the part. But then because of that audition, I guess I got called months later and I think it was even Jeff that called me and said you want to do h Was it Larrier Jeff? But somebody was said, you want to do like a four to five episode recurring on the show. And I'm like, no, I don't know you're really going to ask me that question. They literally asked me like if I was available or if I wanted to do it, And then I was like, yeah, said yes, I said yes, you didn't know what it was or you did. Well, it's funny because it was framed to me as you're going to be like a music executive, Like who knows what they were thinking this character was? Right? Did we ever find out what the character was? Well, it's funny because they said, or Jeff said, or somebody said, you're going to be a music, like a big shot music executive, because these restaurant investors are going to be Ted dancing and Michael Yorke and you like, some rich record guy whatever. And I'm like, and you know, as an actor, so you like think, oh, I got to learn like some stuff about that. Never brought up again except for a moment in one of the things when Jeff goes so again completely out of nowhere in the scene while we're shooting in this episode, in a later I think it's in a later episode. It might even be in this one, but where he goes, so, how's that album with Sarah Jessica Parker working out? Okay? And I'm supposed to like, you know, know what he's talking about, And I said, oh, it's great, it's great. Yeah, it's good, it's going well. You know. So that was the nod to me being a record executive. Episode. I think that was this episode. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they go to Bobo's and we see, you know, Ted is there and how's Mary Mary's in Australia. But it's Jill's birthday, which is clearly their child, and it's going to be a Wizard of Oz theme and it's going to be in costume, and Jeff wants to be the law but Larry wants to be the lion. And Larry is wearing Chet's shirt. He clearly had gone and bought it. And then he comes and he's introduced to Michael Yorke and to you, and to Jim Swinson and Teresa Knackamoor the other investors, and they start talking. Construction is going on in the background and they start talking about it, and Larry says, no kabobs.
Speaker 2: He's afraid of the stick.
Speaker 1: And he starts giving his ideas, which was interesting to see because that all came to fruition much later in season ten in the Spikes Store when he opens latte, Larry's all of his ideas, but in this one his ideas are every table should have a bell. Worst idea in the history ever. He clearly has never been a waiter. I was a waiter for so many years waitress. Somebody ringing a bell, I want to punch him in their fucking face. If they're ringing a bell to get my attention. Everybody has their own tone. He's got it all thought out like a Pavlovian dog. And then Michael says, like a buttler Belle and the waiter's uniforms.
Speaker 2: Now, that was interesting because one of the things, and you know this on the show is that you know, you you improvise out of the reality of the situation. You don't do jokes, you know, try to insert a joke because it's that's the temptation for a comedian, probably more than someone who's like a second city trained or something like that. But I couldn't help it when he showed the shirt, and later in the episode with the apple at, I go, we don't want them to look like scientologists. So I thought, oh, that's going to get cut, you know, but it was left in. It was left in, and then I found out later that it was on some anti scientology page or people always would upload uh really things about you know, jokes about anything that you know, make get you better be careful that Well I'll just say I didn't write it.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back, Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So Larry decides he's going to go shopping and decides he's in. He's going to invest in the restaurant, and Michael your says, so you're in, welcome aboard, Now, do you have any idea? And I don't why Michael Yorke. I mean it was a great choice.
Speaker 2: It's such a gymsactly, you know, I think I asked Larry, I asked him why Michael Yorke, Like, I mean, where did that come? Great thought? It's wonderful to have him Hanson.
Speaker 1: You understand it had been on the show prior. He was a friend of Larry's. But where did Michael Yorke come from?
Speaker 2: If I'm not mistaken, he said something to the effect he goes, you know, people call me up and asked me to be on the show, like somewhere, and Michael was yeah, like it was to that point.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that happens all the time because people ask me to be on the show all the time. But this was in the very beginning before we still over the radar.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's my recollection, because I had the same reaction that you did in terms of Wow, this is random, and yet it's perfect.
Speaker 1: It's perfect, It was fantastic, But yet why Michael Yorke?
Speaker 2: Like Michael Yorke was there with us. There's a moment in that in that introduction we're having we're sort of kicking around these ideas and arguing about stuff, and Jeff just out of nowhere just goes, Michael York, what do you think I'm so old by the idea I'm struck up, which to me was the funniest thing ever. And then that became like our thing on scenes where we have lunch with him and said we're going to do a game show called what do you think? Michael Just he just sits in the corner in a really nice chair and people go, what do you think, Michael Yorke and he just you know, by the way he was so you hung out with him a little bit, yeah, just like he would start conversations like I was having lunch at Griffin's house. We were playing tennis and I saw this vision on the court and it was Fara Fawcet, and I put her in Logan's run and she became a star. So that's how at a lot of anecdotes and just stuff that if you're a fan of show business, you know, your mouth it hangs open and you're like, you know, I was bicycling in the South of France with Jean Gielgood and Alsace. Yes, yes, I'm like, okay, we're going to hang out with you So.
Speaker 1: There's Michael Yorke and then Larry's at home with Cheryl, and Cheryl's skeptical of the investment in Smartly so.
Speaker 2: And him a little bit like, oh, you think that's all you're gonna do is walk through? And well, well, Larry says, I'm going to walk around and talk to people. How is your meal?
Speaker 1: He's gonna be affable, and she's like, you don't like talking to people.
Speaker 3: I'll walk around and go to the table and enjoying your meal.
Speaker 2: Are you doing you chat?
Speaker 3: How's everything? Are you enjoying it?
Speaker 2: I thought you didn't like talking to people.
Speaker 3: I don't like talking to people I know, but strangers I have no problem with, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's going to go shopping for uniforms and he tells Cheryl about the bells and then she says, oh, is that the new shirt? And Barbara is going to have the frame next week? So Barbara has is bucking up under her under her sorrow. And also then she says, your dentist calls and wants us over for dinner next Saturday, doctor Blore. Why is doctor Bloor calling me for dinner? It is a little odd, you know, you don't mix social and professional.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible combo.
Speaker 1: And now and Cheryl thought that they had pre arranged as she didn't know, And now's Larry. I'm gonna have to lie, and I'm gonna have to tell him we're going somewhere. And now I'll need a new dentist soon. Like already, this relationship is ruined because the boundaries, this sky has crossed the boundaries.
Speaker 2: And he's right, He's right. Who wants to hang out with your name, especially your dentist.
Speaker 1: No, the whole world has to get together, he says, the whole world has to get together. And then he's shopping with Jeff and he picks out a shirt and Jeff says, you want the waiters to dress like you? Just a polo shirt he picks up. Then it picks up a check shirt. Larry's not going to buy the shirt.
Speaker 2: It looks like a tablecloth. It looks like cloth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Larry decides he's going to buy the chest shirt for Ted because Ted liked it so much and they had two left.
Speaker 2: He's going to get an extra one for himself.
Speaker 1: So he's going to have three chest shirts, one for Ted and two for himself.
Speaker 2: Larry makes plans. God least exactly. My grandmother used to say that.
Speaker 1: And he goes to the salesman and then he sees a woman who happens to be Laura r Ep in the background, wearing the Laura has played so many different parts in this show, already wearing the epaulet shirt and it's a military shirt.
Speaker 2: And he goes into this whole thing. Was ever eating a messhole?
Speaker 1: And how great people look and they're in the military, and Larry was I believe in National Guard?
Speaker 2: He was in I believe, Yeah, he was definitely in the army or the National Guard, the national Guard, I think during the Vietnam era. Imagine that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. And he got out in an interesting way which I won't tell. I'll let him tell someday when he comes on. And then a guy stops him out of nowhere. Burt Bondi was Burt Bondy, Yeah, I know you from somewhere, And Larry's like from spin class, And do I know you for his big class?
Speaker 2: Are you a friend of Bill W So I know you for me spin class? Or that's just a throwaway or.
Speaker 1: An alcoholics anonymous either or And then Bill Bondi realizes oh no, I know you from the waiting room in the dentist's office of doctor Bloor. And Larry's like, I don't go to him anymore because because of doctor blow across the boundary. And Bert Bondi says, I'll say hello to doctor Bloer for you. You don't have to do that.
Speaker 2: You don't have to say hello to him. It's it's kind of trite.
Speaker 1: And then he tells Jeff he's in trouble because he told the dentist he was going out of town.
Speaker 2: That was the night. It was Saturday. He was supposed to go to doctor Bloor's house to dinner. Tangled Web exactly.
Speaker 1: And he buys the last two shirts, and then we're at the restaurant again and he's.
Speaker 2: Pitching the he's pitching his shirt, and Jeff is pitching his.
Speaker 1: Outfit, his outfit, and Larry says.
Speaker 3: He's kind of got like a little French quality to it. No French, foreign legion.
Speaker 2: Maybe you know, they might think we have like scientologists for white people.
Speaker 3: Somebody kidding me, you don't like this, is that what you're saying.
Speaker 2: I look at that and I see we're serving airline food.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry all right, French foreign legion. And that's when you bring up the scientologie.
Speaker 2: I bring up the scientology joke, which I didn't think would get in there.
Speaker 1: And what is this note I have, Jim says, airline food. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: I guess because it looks like a captain of a you know, like the oh yes, yeah, the pilot. Thank you.
Speaker 1: And then Jeff presents his a simple, simple, simple, a light blue shirt and a navy ves and everybody applauds, happy, happy, they love it. And Larry gives Ted the chet shirt that you're wearing right now, and Ted sees that there's a rip in it.
Speaker 3: Just take it back. I'm sure they'll fix it for you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, couldn't you take it back? I don't even know where the story is.
Speaker 3: What's on a little sure, Nate understand you want me to take it back. I just give you a gift.
Speaker 2: You don't give me a gift.
Speaker 3: You give me a defective shirt.
Speaker 2: It's got a hole in it. That's not a gift. Come.
Speaker 3: I don't own this shirt anymore as I see it. I gave it to you. It's your responsibility that it's not the point.
Speaker 2: The point is if you give somebody a gift, it's supposed to be a gift.
Speaker 3: Right, And if you give somebody a gift, they're not supposed to be an ingrad. They're supposed to say thank you. How about I give you a gift and you have to pick it up in Seattle.
Speaker 2: That's a problem. It's not a gift.
Speaker 3: It's not quite the same thing. I'm giving you a gift.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the gesture, thank you.
Speaker 3: Fine, I'll keep the shirt to.
Speaker 2: Another debatable moment. Now, look, what do you think? What do you think, Michael Yorke?
Speaker 1: I think if it was me giving a gift and there was a ripping it, I would take it back.
Speaker 2: But that's me, I guess. So. I mean, it's kind of embarrassing. I feel like you would be lazy if you said you take care of it, because I you know it's on you now, I've given it to you. That's what he's that's what he's saying.
Speaker 1: He's saying, I don't own this shirt anymore. I gave it to you, And Ted says, you didn't give me a gift, you gave me a defective shirt. And you know, Larry's calling him an ingrate. And Larry's saying, you took a nice thought and you're making it horrible now, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, and yet I still can understand. You can understand Larry. As the receiver of the gift. You also might say, oh, well you gave me. Yeah, I'll bring it to the cleaner.
Speaker 1: I would do both if I was the receiver of the gift, but of course that's me. I would say, don't worry about it. I'll take care of it. I wouldn't say you take care.
Speaker 2: Of They're both wrong, right, But again, and if I was the.
Speaker 1: Giver of the gift, I would say I'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: But it's a typical, you know, curb conundrum moments that a female thing being the caretaker.
Speaker 1: Probably Yeah, the roles play and they cut to the kids party and Larry is wearing chests shirt and Cheryl feels that it's wrong, that it's taunting Ted and it's wrong. And what's interesting, of course, is that we know that later on what happens with Ted and Cheryl here there's none of that, but we know that many many seasons later they are a couple, right and involved.
Speaker 2: Well, this funny thing too, that this is on the heels of like when Jeff pitched the vests and the shirt and won. To me, it was the hilarious was how much Larry was pouting. Guess how funny it was, how defeated he was. But you know he was angry and petty, you know, and then he that's would lead to him wearing petty. His character is petty. It seems like it was more like that in the older episodes. Really, to me, I don't know, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't experience that because I have to deal with his pettiness on a daily level.
Speaker 2: Not Larry David the person, Larry David the character. And then where's the costumes?
Speaker 1: They want to know where the costumes because Ted had told them they're going to be dressing up and Wizard of Oz costumes. And Ted comes over and he says that he changed his mind. He wants Jeff to be the Lion and Larry could be the tin Man. How do we know that Ted's being petty here?
Speaker 2: We see it all over he's reacting.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's petty for petty, you know, tit for test Tom petty, it's Tom petty. And and Larry's I have no connection to the tin Man. I don't even like the tin Man, and he doesn't. He pouts and he's he's acting like a four year old. Well, if I can't have to be the tin Man, I'm not going to do it at all. And then he says to Ted, why did you take you off the line because of the shirt? And then Larry spells about Ted because Jill the little girl's how old is she?
Speaker 2: Maybe six seven something? I think she's five or six, five or six?
Speaker 1: And Larry spells a S S H O L E about Ted when he walks away. Then we cut to way, can I just say that you say whatever you wants?
Speaker 2: Funny to me? That? And it rings true that people have a real opinion about which Wizard of Oz character they want to play, do you know what I mean? Like we identify with we all grew up with it. We all grew up with it. So it's like, this is who I'm going to be.
Speaker 1: And also not only did we grow up with it, how different it is from now is that we had we watched it once a year year and Danny Kay introduced it on CBS.
Speaker 2: I remember it quite well and.
Speaker 1: Thirty that's right, and it was a family event that you all sat around the TV and watched The Wizard, but it wasn't like we had DVDs or DVR or streaming or any of that.
Speaker 2: That was my incredible, hilarious revelation. When my daughter was a little she was obsessed with that movie and I had to stop it and rewind it every time the Witch would appear right and I'm thinking, I'm rewinding this. I had to wait a year to just see it once.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you know this, Loow, but my first big part as an actress was when I was in camp when I was eight and we were doing The Wizard of Oz and I wanted the part of Dorothy so badly and I auditioned it. I sang over the rainbow and I had tears in my eyes, and they gave me the Wicked Witch of the West. It was my part, and it was pantomime. I didn't have any lines, and I remember saying to the counselor could I make my own lines, and she said yes, and I wrote my own lines. I did the whole melting scene and I got a standing ovation. I had to stand up out of my death scene and take a bow because I was supposed to slip underneath the curtain there, and that was when I realized I'm going to be a character actress.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to be an ing, incredible, more fun Yeah, look what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm still playing the wicked Witch of the West. So next we see Jeff is dressed as a lion, which really he's a better line Larry, of course, you know, and Ted is a scarecrow perfectly can of course better lion, And and Ted is a perfect scarecrow, tall and thin with a long nose just like Ray Boulger. And Cheryl is a perfect little drothy and Larry's just standing there in his chest shirt, you know, just being disgruntled and acting like a big fucking baby. And there's a pinnata and Jill, the little girl, the birthday girl, is taking the bat and hitting the pinata, and accidentally.
Speaker 2: Larry walks over. He's not paying attention.
Speaker 1: Exactly because he's not paying attention because he's sew up his own asshole of being upset that he had to be the tin man, right.
Speaker 2: So of course she swings the bat, hits him right in the mouth and not blood.
Speaker 1: All over, knocks his front teeth out, there's blood all over Chet's shirt. His teeth are broken. It's a Sunday. He's got to go to the dentist's blood comes doctor Blore.
Speaker 2: Of course, doctor Blore. He's at the dentist.
Speaker 1: You see them all with the teeth knocked out and blood all over his shirt. He's getting numb, and doctor Blore says, I sure missed you last Saturday. And Larry goes into a song. And now here's the thing. And I tell this to my husband and kids all the time. When you're gonna lie, give as little information as possible, and yet people do the opposite. They start over compensating and giving more and more information. And that's how you could tell.
Speaker 2: You I am. You know. He went to Sonoma. It was his cousin's pear farm.
Speaker 1: They visited the cabin where Bob Bartlett, who created the Bartlet pair.
Speaker 2: They're going in the Bartlet pair of the Bosh pairs.
Speaker 1: Because I'm not sure which is which, but I think that the Bartlet pair is green and the Bosque pair is brown.
Speaker 2: I believe that's true.
Speaker 1: And it's a whole, long, involved mcgilla of a story, and it's just you know, it's going to come back and bite him in the ass, and you know that this guy is in charge of his mouth and his teeth and something.
Speaker 2: And then doctor Floor says Burt.
Speaker 3: BONDI was in this week, Burt Bondie.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: He seems to think you do, really, m Bondi, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I think we're ready.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back. Stay tuned, Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: With all the technology we have in this day and age, why they can't figure out to get rid of that fucking drill sound.
Speaker 2: There is nothing worse than that drill sound. That's an easy fix.
Speaker 1: Actually, it's not even what they're doing in your mouth, it's the fucking sound that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've done a lot of stuff that's good, like they're the with anesthesia and stuff like that. I know, if you want to get off on that, you could get off on them whatever. I haven't been at the dentist in a while and I went and they it's not that painful anyway. No, but you still hear the drill sound. That's that's old school.
Speaker 1: That's and to me, that is like a sense memory thing. You know, it's a trigger. You hear that sounded like right, away, I'm fourteen in the chair.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't want to, you know, if you mask it, you have to mask it with something that is not going to also be triggering. You don't want to put like your favorite song over.
Speaker 1: Well, what they do do now is sometimes they give you headphones, which is a lovely thing, but I don't like the headphones. I used to have that bit about the dental hygienist and how they would have you captive in the chair and they could just go on and on about their wedding plans and you just had nothing to say because you had the thing in your mouth and you're drooling, and they're just boring the.
Speaker 2: Crap out of you. Exactly, you have no because you're a captive, literally a captain.
Speaker 1: Same thing with the dentist. You know, dentists have a very high suicide rate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because everybody always dreads.
Speaker 1: Seeing that nobody wants to go to the dentist. So we hear the drill sound that we know something horrible is going to happen. And then Larry goes home and Cheryl is watching The Wizard of Oz of all things, and Larry has opens his mouth and he's got bugs.
Speaker 2: Bunny tee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's got two chicklets, as he describes them.
Speaker 2: Well, that was the funny the reveal too, because obviously the doctor didn't have to give him teeth that big, right, They are temporary temporaries, Larry, don't worry about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's still got blood all over his shirt and he's got the bugs bunny teeth. And then he thinks Jill did it on purpose because he called her dad an asshole, right, he called Ted an asshole.
Speaker 2: And we hear the doorbell ring, and who is it? It's Barbara? No, not yet.
Speaker 1: They think it's Ted, but it's Barbara. And Barbara comes in and no, wait, it is Ted, because oh no, that's right. Cheryl thinks it's Barbara and it's Ted. You're right, it's Ted. And he shows Ted to me. He looked like bugs.
Speaker 2: Funny. It was just too funny, and he's talking the whole time temporaries.
Speaker 1: Ted apologizes and Larry goes into a whole big diet. Forget the pinata. It's a dangerous, sick, fucking game, you know.
Speaker 2: He says, I don't know how the Spaniards, why.
Speaker 1: They even thought of it, how they did it? Dangerous sick fucking game, and you know, then he talks about Jill is a pretty good speller for her age and Ted of course, and Ted says, you know what, He'll take the shirt.
Speaker 2: So they're conciliatory.
Speaker 1: They're trying to, you know, make amends, and Larry says he wants to keep it because the ones he's wearing is ruins.
Speaker 2: So now he wants to take the gift back right right, because he's run out of replacements.
Speaker 1: And Cheryl then ruins everything by coming out and says, you've got to give one to Ted. Now we know if one was ruined, he wanted to keep the two, so we had a backup.
Speaker 2: So now he's got to give the other one to Ted.
Speaker 1: So Larry goes up to change and Ted and Cheryl are watching over the rainbow, and again it's interesting to see them together now knowing what we know happens later on.
Speaker 2: Larry puts on the clean Chests shirt.
Speaker 1: He comes in and he gives the other shirt to Ted and Ted says, just throw it on the chair. So he throws the shirt on the chair and then the doorbell rings again and who is it this time?
Speaker 2: Louis, Oh, it's Barbara it's Barbara, and she walks in and she sees Larry on the couch. She has the frame.
Speaker 1: She brings the frame, she's obviously recovered enough to frame, and she comes into the living room and she sees that they're Well.
Speaker 2: There's two triggers. One is that that was her favorite, this was our mo she's crying now, which is activating her face. Yeah, and she's bawling.
Speaker 1: And then she notices and then also it was Chest's favorite song. She's singing over the Rainbow. It was Chest's favorite song. And in that moment, this is a very curve moment, right, Larry and Ted look at each other and know there's one good shirt left. It's laying on the chair right over there, and they both run for it.
Speaker 2: Like Solomon, like Somon. It's biblical, it's difficult. Did Solomon had Chest's shirt? Ales, Yes, exactly. No, it was Moses' shirt, Moses. It's in the Bible. It's a chapter in the Bible, Moses' shirt, Moses' shirt, Moses' shirt. And they ripped the shirt apart. Cue the music, rip the shirt.
Speaker 1: Apart, and then what happens. Ted leaves and he's got half the shirt in his hands right, Oh yes, yes, and half the shirt in his hand.
Speaker 2: He's walking down the block and.
Speaker 1: He walks down the block, Hey, asshole, and we know he's going to kick the shit out of his head and Ted deserves it for God's sake, and that's then cue the music the end.
Speaker 2: It was really kind of a perfect episode. Well, they all are in that way, in all those little moments and all those little conflicts that are really not easy to come up with with people don't. I mean, I guess people do.
Speaker 1: Really, And it's not just the moments come up with. It's the connecting of the moments that's so amazing. What do you what do you remember about because you're in three more episodes in this season.
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, getting to do it as an actor and a comedian was such a It was like being a Cinderella because when we were doing the show, once you got used to it, which you get used to it right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not everybody does, Lou. I mean comedians, you know, I know your work very well, and you were always a big improviser on stage, you know, so as was I. I mean we're used to that. You get some real actors and not the.
Speaker 2: Interesting that you bring that up because here's an anecdote. So I'm sitting next to we talked about that restaurant introduction scene was the first time we all worked together, and Michael Yorke was sitting next to me. So before Smart shooting, he's like, what is happening? What? What? What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: What's next? What? I haven't No one's told me what to do. I said, you don't have to do anything, just you know, you just be yourself. You're Michael Yorke. You know I have to figure something. I don't know. But all joking aside, you realize it's just play the moment. Play the moment. It's just life. Don't overthink it, don't think ahead, don't try to think of something to say, yeah, which is something you should do anyway all the time. So once that happened, really for me, it was right after the first scene, I'm like, oh my god, this is like, you know, this revelation of like this is the way this is going to be. Yeah, and it just gets better and better and more fun and and and.
Speaker 1: You start to feel, I don't want to say more confident, but you start to feel more relaxed, Yeah, more relaxed.
Speaker 2: And the more relaxed you are, the better it is.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Also technically in terms of comedy, it is so much fresher and better than scripted because you know, as you know, you inscripted, you do the same line over and over again, and you do if you're doing single cam, you're doing inserts, and it just is like it's that's the real skill of an actress to maintain that energy level through all of that. But in this, every time you do the scene, it's actually better because he's giving you little notes in the different takes that make it even better. But you're still like, you don't have any pressure to remember something. You're just like always and I.
Speaker 1: Always find incredible pressure to memorize all lines and to remember them take after take, and it's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the technical aspect of it overwhelms the freshness and the creativity of it, which again that's a trick, that's something that really good actors can always somehow overcome. But it's hard. But this is it's just always fresh and it gets fresher. So that experience was exhilarating, as you know, and so it was it was incredible fun to do and it was so fulfilling to do and then to hang out with all these people, but again it was so rarefied, and then to come down from that when it stopped, and then to go do something else and you're like, oh, it's I know, back to the factory.
Speaker 1: I know, it's he's really spoiled by this show, and I have been spoiled for twenty three years.
Speaker 2: And you get to do it all the time. Yeah, no, you get to work with great peace people, not just name stars, not just Michael York, not just Michael Yorke. But it's also it's very flattering to be in a community where you're like, again, in our case, we came from stand up, but we could improvise. But the other people are second city people, groundlings and people that came up in that world. So now you're playing with them in their world and you're like, oh, I could do this, yeah, you know, and it's really fun. It's a different talent, Yeah it is. It's a whole different channel that you access, I think. And of course, you know, it's like a drug. When you do it, you're like, you want to just do it all the time, and it's like it doesn't work that way. There were a few shows that tried, because that was the thing you remember.
Speaker 1: Kerb First, I contend correctly that the reason why those other shows did not work is they didn't have Larry's story brains.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's all Larry's story brain. People don't realize that it's not just. First of all, you can't just improvise a show. There has to be a solid framework to work off of, and that's where Curb is so brilliant because those scenarios and those stories are so well.
Speaker 1: You always know what needs to be done in the scene you need. That's my feeling. It's always Larry's story brain. That is what makes this show.
Speaker 2: And the thing about that too is to me, you know, it was such a great experience to do it, of course creatively and as an actor and a comedian, but also as a fan. You know, to sit there and watch how this happens and how it works, and you know, you get a lot of time, as you know, on sets, and it's like, I mean, I would just watch Larry and I'm thinking he's like Toscanini, you know, because he's got this ten episode score in his head in his head and he is cognizant of every little moment, every little beat, every little thing that's going to affect something in that world. And he's so focused.
Speaker 1: But I'll have entire conversations with him that he will not remember anything that we discussed. You know what, you forgot we're having dinner tonight because what he's on set.
Speaker 2: He's just so focused on the work. Yeah, And it's such an incredible uh you know, just to see somebody come up with something like that and bring it to fruition, you know, it's incredible. There's nothing seen anything like it before or since. And it was such a pleasure and an honor to be involved in it.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a pleasure in an honor for me to have you on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Jeff, by the way, No, I did see Jeff though, so that was okay. He's you know, I love Jeff, you know. And Jeff was also very instrumental in making sure that I was involved with the show if possible. Good because I ran into him somewhere years before and saying, oh, you got to be on the show. I had.
Speaker 1: I had no power in those days. You know, I was a day player. You don't even be in this episode, right, No, I wasn't in this episode.
Speaker 2: But you were in but you started to crank up for you there.
Speaker 1: Yes, in season two I was in two episodes, and in season three I think I was in five or six or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'll know as we move forward. Now I know this is like the way ahead of the game. But I was in season seven Great Dinner sitting see us at my house at your house with Catherine O'Hara's bam am. I do you know? I worked with her on dream On? She was a director. Oh really? And I had a recurring role on dream On as a porn writer and yeah, right, so I worked with her the episode that she directed that I was. I only happened to have like a line or two in it, so it was like hello, goodbye, you know, but she's really nice. And that was like, I don't know, nine years before I met her the day we shot that thing, and I said, Catherine, I don't know if you remember Lou Damaggio. Oh really, are you kidding me? I mean, is that like some kind of magic trick or did you look at the call sheet? Why would she care? She actually remembered me.
Speaker 1: Well, if she's the director, she probably did look at the call sheet. But she still remembered you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great. She put the name with the face. She is marvelous. She's one of my old time faves. So were you? Oh? I love you, Thank you, Low paste and Love.
Speaker 1: The History of Curby Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more timecasts from radio, visit the iHeartRadio, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.