Speaker 1: What is you are?
Speaker 2: You're done?
Speaker 3: Yeah, You're off in God's Country with your boy Room. And then Lisbel also known as the Brother Something where we take a weekly drive to the inn section of country music and.
Speaker 2: The great out Those.
Speaker 3: Two things go together like Marty Stewart and Mississippi.
Speaker 4: Or a high and lonesome Sound Bay and also brought to you by Meat Eater and.
Speaker 3: Sam hit it Sam, Here it is. There was on vacation. We've got Sam vacation, vacation. Come on now, huh?
Speaker 5: To color starts to show down Baby, to Cola starts show down.
Speaker 3: Baby, he's burn seed or Lesbian's good khaki pant.
Speaker 2: These brown boots make a white damn want to.
Speaker 6: Get up and dance because the comas the show down.
Speaker 2: Baby, that's all as I go.
Speaker 4: I can't go any loader that you cut. You cut it too early. Sam, that's cool, he's learning, he's figuring it out.
Speaker 1: Charlie.
Speaker 3: His middle name should be some acoustic guitar savant worse commercial man. But he's also like a mega killer singer, Like I feel like then a mega killer songwriter. I feel like that also kind of just flies under the radar because he's such a great guitar player.
Speaker 2: But man, that guy's is special.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite he drops one of my favorite, uh country music stories that we've had on this on this podcast. He brought a little prop with him, a little relic. This is the first prop. Maybe Yeah, yeah, great guitar player. We play a ton of Dan's Hold of Guitar the whole podcast, and we're just kind of riffing on songs and we do a little Vince Gilmedley just a great dude. Man loves Nashville, loves loves playing the guitar, loves country music, and it's very apparent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, authentic human as well as like just a just a light you know what I mean. Like he's he's uh cheering other people along. He's encouraging, you know, to us and to the listener as far as folks who may be pursuing this this field, you know.
Speaker 3: And you can tell he's grateful, he's humble about the position he's in and and uh doing a lot of cool things man, and putting out a record great songs. You're gonna love it. Listen to Charlie Worsham. It's awesome. Thanks for thanks for following us, thanks for leaving us. Five star roast. Yeah, I forgot roast time. I believe we do have one. I think the roast is done. The roast has been been cooking on low for eight hours.
Speaker 2: Let's go takes ten. That's why he doesn't taste is good? That's why all right?
Speaker 4: From fifteen JB The Brothers ADHD. I have not read this yet, so it could be I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what goes on. So true.
Speaker 4: If you want to listen to a couple of guys struggle to stay on topic for more than two minutes and end your commute confused by what you just listen to, this podcast is for you. Yeah, we get it. You killed one nice buck from a truck. Bad All jokes aside. Once you get passed Dan complaining about the most petty things in life and read trying to maintain twenty five handicap, the show is legit. The comical banter gets usually. The comical banter gets usually bits okay, sorry. The comical banter gets usually culminates with some deep stories about life that can resonate with even those not passionate about the outdoors and country music. That was a hell of story. I'm a day one listener, and y'all are killing it. Just when I thought the episode of Craig Morgan was the peak. Y'all keep delivering great content. Hearing the stories behind life and music really brings all the songs to life.
Speaker 2: Kudos to Steve.
Speaker 4: Meaner to recognizing talent and bringing you into the circle, as I wouldn't have come across your podcast otherwise. Dang, Thanks fifteen JB. It's a welcome edition to my weekly commute podcast rotation marrying and two things I'm passionate about. Notice no mention of writing someone's coat tails.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Come on, man. Thanks, I'm a three handicap right now. By fifteen JB. That was a good one.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to get suck us with the heat and then he got a little sweet you know what I'm saying, Yeah, help you up.
Speaker 2: Hey, I want to shout out. Uh, I want to shout out this guy.
Speaker 3: I haven't done it yet and it's been a while, but uh, I'm going to shout out.
Speaker 2: This is pretty cool. Sorry, it's taking me a while. Where is it? Chad from Missouri? Okay?
Speaker 3: Recognize me at the aquarium in Chattanooga. Really literally, man, I was just I was strolling. I was I was strolling the stroller and Oak was running around acting like a shark and trying to bite people, and Griffin will watching the she was blowing kisses at the guy cleaning the tank or whatever, and and and I like, you know, you can kind of like telling somebody's like just feeling looking at you type thing. And I turned and he was he was walking next to me, and he goes, hey, man, you read And I was like yeah. And he's like, I'm a huge fan of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Wow, He's like, I was like, what's your name is, like Chad fro Missouri. He's like, I listen every every Tuesday. He's like, y'all. He was like, he's like, y'all are crushing it. Man, appreciate you, thanks, thanks for doing what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Just quick. He's like, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna bother you anymore. But just wanted to say, no pictures, nothing, nothing, signed, nothing for the man. No man. And that's great, Okay, that's great. I'm not famous. That's true. We're not. I'm not picture famous. I'm not even though somebody might have been taking pictures at us the other day. It's kind of weird. People take pictures with me all the time. Oh dude.
Speaker 3: They they're like, who are you? And I'm like, oh, I'm just a guy. They're like, they ask you to take pictures of the hottest guy I've ever seen. Can I get a picture with you? I'm sure, man. It does have nothing to do with this podcast, So chat shout out Chad from Missouri, thanks for saying, what's up?
Speaker 2: Kill a big deer this year? Chad?
Speaker 3: That's right, Well some turkey's actually that's kill a big deal. We love Misi man. Hey, we love y'all. Appreciate y'all. You're gonna love Charlie Worsham and yeah, they's ranging out with us. Piece speed we are speed Clap, not the gator chump. That's the movie thing. Speed Man. We got c m a Musician of the Year and touring Musician of the Year, a dad in Mississippian songwriting.
Speaker 5: Touring this year with Mega Marooney and n Mudsen and joining Dirk S. Bentley as a band member for his twenty twenty five summer tour. Possibly the badest guitars we've ever had in No Death definitely today we've got mister Charlie worship.
Speaker 2: I'm proud to be here, dude. Thanks for hanging with us.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We always do this like catch up morning thing we're reading, I call each other if there's any bits or anything. And I was like, hey, man, I think we're just gonna play a lot of guitar today.
Speaker 1: That's fine by me because I'm like, rarely do we have a top point five percenter player probably in the world.
Speaker 2: So maybe we should just let you.
Speaker 7: Know.
Speaker 1: You all are kind. I tell you, I'm just trying to be like Brian Sutton when I grew up.
Speaker 2: Is that where you started on Briant?
Speaker 1: Like, well, bluegrass in general? I mean, I uh, you know, when I was really young, my parents would take me to see concerts, a lot of concerts, and I got it. Uh not not exactly, but what happened we would go see Vent Skill, who is my north star in concert and Marty Stewart, my other north star, and of course him being from Mississippi was a big part of me feeling like, oh he's from where I'm from. Maybe I could do this. Is he from where you're from? I'm not where I'm from. He from Philadelphia, Mississippi. And I'm from Grenada, but uh.
Speaker 2: That's our people. Oh yeah, Studio five.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we both log. Oh god, we could tell some stories that year I got in trouble playing that bar in high school because there were the poles on the bar and that was a you know, that's a whole nother podcast right there, but the other sketchy bar Partners or something Partners. As a matter of fact, you know who played Partners once, not officially as a gig, but he sat in with the band was Toby Keith.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we were a big music family. My dad, who made his living as a banker all those years, he also was a drummer and he's a he's a great drummer. He doesn't really play much these days, but my early early memories of music are sitting on his lap at the drum kit and him letting me bang on the drums, you know, in a spare bedroom in the house, and then going to see him play a gig and the guy in the band that played guitar saying where Wolves of London and he took the guitar played the solo with his teeth and that was the moment I was like, that's who I that's what I want to.
Speaker 2: Do when Yeah. But so part of.
Speaker 1: The musical connection in the family was we had this festival which still still goes on called thunder on Water every June. And now that I know it's I can't go because it's the same weekend as c m A Fest, but uh it's thunder on Water. We'd get all these great singers. I mean, we had Trick Pony, Sharie Austin, Tracy Lawrence, uh, John Anderson played like Debora Mclinton would play every year, but one year Toby Keith King.
Speaker 2: Is Donal Clinton is that Mississippi guy.
Speaker 1: He's not a Mississippi guy as far as I know, I love He's so good.
Speaker 2: He's got to be Southern.
Speaker 1: He's got to be And you know what I associate him with is my mom clean in the house. Really she would put a little doubor cd on uh that, Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, don't make me do that, don't make me do it already, Love.
Speaker 1: Text, love text, if that makes sense. What's that record? Uh, one of the Fortunate Few or something?
Speaker 4: I always like, Uh, oh, what's the Delver? I'd say every time I that's it, that's the record. But you know, Toby Keith came one year and they booked him like right before should have been a cowboy blew up and he was out of their price range. And my dad was the guy who would coordinate and book the festival and the talent and stuff. So Toby comes to town and just you know, blows the roof off my hometown. But then after the gig, he's like, I want to hang, I want to party, and uh so all the folks with the festival taking around town. He he wanted food. The only place open was a gas station. We got gas station hot dogs.
Speaker 1: And then he went to Partners and he sat in a corner and signed autographs and then sat in with the band and then he was like, I still want to keep going, y'all. So he swam in the holiday and swimming like one in the morning.
Speaker 2: He wanted to I don't know there's been a better opener store. Oh yeah, that's great, that's great.
Speaker 4: Do a thousand different things on this podcast. One of them is, uh, what's mad at?
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I know I'm a fan, and they go ahead and pick that guitar up because we don't have you have a feature on on our what You're Mad at here.
Speaker 1: And who's going first on what you're mad at?
Speaker 2: We don't even know yet.
Speaker 1: How much time y'all got plenty.
Speaker 4: Hey, Uh, just the heads up for the listener. There'll be a lot of guitar today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all right, show him.
Speaker 2: Show him showing him nothing? Get it all right?
Speaker 3: Just rip a little solo on the back of this. Okay, okay, what you're mad? Just tell us what it is?
Speaker 1: What you're mad?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 1: You in lost kids?
Speaker 5: Might be your boss man with your neighbors, cat? Just tell us what mad at?
Speaker 7: Get it?
Speaker 2: I said, I ain't telling you nothing?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: What you mad at?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 1: You mad at anything?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I'm already talk about Did I? Did? I?
Speaker 3: Did I talk about the coffee thing last time? And I talked about that yet? I'll tell you what I'm mad at. Here's what I'm mad at. Are you mad about losing your phone in the parking lot this morning? Did I?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 3: Charlie almost ran over it, but he got got out of his car. I wish you would have.
Speaker 2: Did I give it to you? I don't know where it's? Okay?
Speaker 1: Right here?
Speaker 4: How did he get right here? You must have found it because I put it back here, okay, appreciate man. He was out of his car, like sorry, and I was like, no, I'm take time.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. I didn't know what he was doing.
Speaker 4: He's like, I think this is somebody's phone and it's both of y'alls kids. Oh yeah, I wish you just left it there, Charlie. I hate that thing. So I'm cleaning.
Speaker 3: I'm in the garage the other day and and moving some boxes around, and I've got my socks on, and I think I think the kids are downstairs playing. So I just kind of like went out there and threw some things away, and uh, there was a box that I kind of like moved out of the way, and when I did, it kind of tilted over and it landed against the back of my leg and all of a sudden, I just feel this liquid going down my leg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like, what is this?
Speaker 3: And I looked over and there's a full, i'd say three quarter thing full of coffee that was just sat on top in the top of the box, full with the top off, like a throwaway box or like, yes, absolutely, it's a toss of trash box. So I was like, what in the word my sock is is coffee now just just soaked. It's all over the floor. And I was like dad going picked the cup up, uh faint and goat. It was a black coffee, probably six dollars, this much, drink out of it, tossed away. Did you get that wo you think got it?
Speaker 2: Probably jons, Yeah, jokes got it.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm mad at, buying six dollars coffee, drinking this much out of it and then putting it, sitting it, setting it on top in the box, on top like this so it doesn't spill in the box with the top off.
Speaker 1: Here's my question to that, Okay, holler, is anybody mad at when that coffee was purchased? It probably wasn't six dollars. It was probably four dollars or four fifty. And that screen that goes do you want to to that whole? You know? And I'm all for for tipping, and I try to tip well, but man, it's it's getting pretty aggressive. I feel like I'm gonna have to tip on an old change or something that you know why, because maybe maybe the people that aren't asking for tips are the ones that need it.
Speaker 3: I'm just no doubt you know, change is definitely harder than pouring some coffee.
Speaker 2: I think I I think that's big. Yeah. I think you're mad at before.
Speaker 4: As yet because when you My thing is like when you go to pick something up, like you call something in right, yeah, yeah, and then you go to pick it up and it's like, well here you go, just sign right here and they flip the thing around. It's like eighty five percent right, or a tiger little boxes his other Have.
Speaker 1: You seen the videos? I'm just picking it up, bro, tippy Donalds? Would I pick that up? No, that's the same thing. Maybe you could come in with venmo screen and just hold it up to them like this is just going to ask you a few questions and they could tip you for buying coffee coffee for I'm just saying, where's the line? Have you seen?
Speaker 2: Have you seen?
Speaker 3: This is not about tipping, but have you seen the videos of the guy checking out at like the pet store and it's like, would you like to donate a dollar to save a dog's life?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: My to that?
Speaker 2: And he's like looking around and hits no, and it's like are you sure. It's like are you sure?
Speaker 3: And it's like, so you're choosing to kill animals, kill puppies, and he clicks no, and he's.
Speaker 4: Like, well, uh then why didn't you hit yes. He's he's like he's looking at the cash cass like this and then the screenop. So it's like, so you want us to kill the dog right now? And he's like no, He's like, does the dodge too late?
Speaker 2: We just did it? Like, oh my gosh, maybe next time you had donate a dollar, just save a dog's loss of the cashier.
Speaker 4: It's a beautiful it's a beautiful crazy my favorite. I know we're getting on what you mad at what I'm not mad. I'm glad that I'll do glad. I'll make this myn glad you are glad this morning.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that I.
Speaker 4: Saw this meme that made me laugh so hard. Dude, I guess it's a me.
Speaker 2: It's a meme. Our videos clips still memes? Or does it have to be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the video was they called these reels. It was a real.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a real and it's it had there's these two it's a video and there's these two kids standing there with Mickey Mouse heres on them, and the top said that the caption says, we take our kids to Disneyland every year and there and she's got the video on it. She goes where are we? And they go where at Disneyland? And she goes up and it says bush gardens above.
Speaker 2: It's just it's.
Speaker 4: Like Yogi Bear walking around like all these characters that aren't Disney. But the kids are so young they have no idea that they're they're not going to Disneyland.
Speaker 2: Pretty great.
Speaker 1: I'm impressed were.
Speaker 2: Taking land every years, like freaking bush Garden.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: Whereas bush Garden is that Lewis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like Hannah Barbara or whatever that thing mate, you know, I'm talking about the guy.
Speaker 2: It's all those cartoons, not Disney cartoons, the.
Speaker 1: Ones, the ones you can get licensing for a little more reason, Yeah, a little more reason.
Speaker 2: Lines aren't as long. Yeah, lines are not as long.
Speaker 4: It's had all the reasons that one hundred dollars instead of a thousand dollars. One of my favorite stories, Raindy Montana said he walked in one day and his dad, Billy was holding his uh was holding soul of it, I think maybe, and he had an apple and he was going orange orange, like just just completely messing up the system, completely teaching him. You know how funny would that be if with our kids we picked one thing oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Just called messed him up for We talked.
Speaker 1: Actually, my wife and I we haven't done it so, but we really strongly considered it. There's a character in the office that says tacos oh, and we thought about just for every time I'm around our kids with oh, should we get tacos tonight? Just said that their whole life, But we couldn't bring ourselves to do it.
Speaker 2: I do say schoo, and Boone is now say he say I got schoo today because we don't put off. So that's actually kind of unintentionally happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mad anything, man, I got a mad and a glad. Oh baby, I'm coming in hot today. But you know my mad ad is not entirely still true. But about six years ago I got lazy as a songwriter, and I just fell out of the rhythm of getting up every morning and kicking my inner songwriter out of bed and uh, and it all came to a head and then I and then I buckled down, and since then I have not let up every morning, even if I don't have a write or whatever. Even if I'm busy, I would always make time to write and think about ideas. And life in the last year has just gotten a little bit crazy.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 1: We welcomed our second child into the world, Thank you. Harper Jan was born last October. She's almost six months. But i let my right and slip. And I've been mad at myself for the last year or so for letting my right and slip, because what it is is you then hear a great song, and not only do you have that, like, dang, I wish I wrote it, But then I'm like, I'm not even I don't even have a radar up, you know, but I have. I will say. I've been getting up earlier every morning and doing at least the fill up one page thing, and it does make me think about songs.
Speaker 2: How early you have to get up?
Speaker 1: Between five and five thirty I wake up. But our sun has one of those hatched night lights that changes colors, and so he stays in his room till six thirty. When the light turns green. It's working so far, Dear Lord, please let it keep working.
Speaker 2: When the light turns green. It turns green.
Speaker 1: You said it and he knows, like until the light turns green almost stay what color is It's like a purple pink looking kind of thing.
Speaker 2: It's not like scary red.
Speaker 1: No, no, well it was red. And then we were like, man, this is what do we doing?
Speaker 2: And on the monitors.
Speaker 1: But that's my mad ad. I've been mad at myself for.
Speaker 2: One more thing that keeps kids in bed.
Speaker 4: I saw they had the door shut and they put a goose decoy at I saw that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the kids like I told, I told them, and I was like, I'm gonna do that if you stay in your bad He's a big turkey, just like amazing. That put me back to the man, what are you glad at?
Speaker 1: My glad at is about the time gave our son who's four as of yesterday, uh that birthday, Happy birthday, big dinosaur this kid had. But about the time he turned to I started playing in music that I love. So his first favorite song, I'm so excited start me up by the Rolling Stone. I'm starting with the country. I'm starting with the rock and roll, the classic rock soil. He loves. Running down a Dream is his current one. Long way to the top. You want to rock and roll by d C. He just discovered he's discovered Rocketman recently, and you know, like he was at a playdate with some other friend he has from school, and the parents like, oh, gab, like's what's what's his favorite song? Wheels on the Bus. So I'm like, no, start me up, you know. But but what I love about it is that's kind of how my dad raised me. And it's this fun sort of connection in my heart. And I think as he gets older he'll appreciate. Sure, but now he's four, he might be ready for country music. I was holding off to you know, you gotta be a little older, get that Merle Haggard sadness in your heart, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure that's something our dad did too.
Speaker 3: Is like I just remember and we and we've talked to him and and the people that listen to this podcast knows. But but like Tulsa Time, and and and and and the Doobie Brothers and Chinatown and all like that's trying to grow, trying to grab my back.
Speaker 1: Grow.
Speaker 2: Grow, That's what I said, China Ground.
Speaker 3: No, I said grow when I like, when I think of my oldest memories of riding around on the truck with him, it's that it's that stuff and and that that like. So I'm trying to do the same thing with my I mean, our daughter's first her the work. She knew nine to five before she yeah anything, you know what I mean, Like Dolly Parton. She's gonna have a Dolly birthday party. Just but she's obsessed with Dolly party. That's all because we listened to Yeah, it was because we listened to nine to five and Joe Lene and all those things.
Speaker 2: Man, And she's up. She's got Dolly shirts and Dolly hats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I love like, I love I mean, there's nothing wrong with that other stuff, but I love like putting that in front.
Speaker 1: Of there's room for both. There's something. And the way I see it is it's as much for him twenty or thirty years from now as it is right now, exactly right because of the memories. I mean, music is what you set your memories to, you know. So uh, And I'm building the playlist out, like just yesterday, because we got them a little trampoline. I added Jump by Van Halen to the I was like, hey, bro, I was like, check this out. You're ready for a stuff over there? Yeah, And then I journal to our kids. And that's a big point. When I add a new Song'm like, man, you just started listening to this, or you know your dad hangover this morning? The year later, five thirty journaling, don't don't have another one, or that journal is gone. Yeah, it's a bit of a jump. So, uh, my daughter.
Speaker 4: Was with our mother in law yet like a week ago, and they were they went to, uh, what's the home good TJ Max? They went to Max and they were walking through them. She's five, and uh, Liza goes, hey, this is Whitney Houston. She was like what, She goes, this is Whitney Houston singing this song and it was something she loves. I started playing it. My trick thinking is that if I play her the greatest female vocalist of all time early on, maybe that's how she just starts to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so she she loves.
Speaker 4: Allison Krause, Whitney Houston. Uh, she really loves Elle Langley right now. Big Griffin got on that, and then Griffin's on the dollar train and then my my son, he's Alan Jackson. Dude, Oh yeah, give him Chattahooshie over wheels on the bus every day. Yes, he loves Chattahooche and he can't even say it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Another special thing too, is like being a songwriter is is I'll play my songs for Griffin and now she'll call them like if Dan singing a vocal on one of them, she'll say, play the Uncle Dan song. She'll be like, play the truck song, play the play the farm song, play you know, the like the daddy song, and like, well, we will sit there and go and drives and whether going to Walmart or whatever, and we'll know. There's one one thing about Cornett, you know, it's just like these little nuances that she's picking out. But like seeing her back there and it's it's it's it's trivial, right, Like I mean, they're there're songs that haven't been cut, or maybe some of them have, and but just like looking in the rear view and seeing her back there doing this to like, yeah, my songs, you know, like like creative processes in my head that that are putting down on the track.
Speaker 2: And man, it's so cool. It's a special thing.
Speaker 1: Yes it is, and you know, not to get more of it about it, but I mean, after we're gone, I think it'll be a great comfort to her.
Speaker 2: Down man, But you do I think about that all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what, you know, if they could just have my catalog to go back and listen.
Speaker 2: To, well, they will, they will.
Speaker 4: Songs I've written about them, songs I've written about their mom. All of the songs I write about their mom. Yeah, every song about a girl ever written.
Speaker 3: Charlie, Yes, absolutely, it is Amen. What did growing up Mississippi look like for you?
Speaker 2: Like? Were all were all big outdoors family? Were you? Just?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well yes, And I was actually thinking specifically about this coming in here today. Uh, I've never hunted once in my life. I haven't fished since my dad's dad. My papa took me and I was probably six. And that's crazy. And I'm gonna get back into it for my son's sake and kind of relearn and teach myself. I might have to call you off, But but that doesn't mean I didn't grow up in the woods.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: I just mine looked a little different. I think for me, I was so challenged as an athlete, you know, Uh, it never made sense. But the minute I got it was piano lessons at first, but the minute I got connected to music, that was it. And so my version of the woods was either if I was by myself, I had a little walkman with foam headphones on and a Martin Stewart CD, D White Yoakum or Vince CD, or.
Speaker 2: You were taping back then you were CD.
Speaker 1: I was a CD. No we had well, I had a cassette, like a big honking hunk of cassette player in the house.
Speaker 2: I'll be forty later this year. I thought we were about to save age.
Speaker 1: But as far as like mobility's sake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was the Yeah, I was right at the I did have a and when I made my first little Bluegrant Strigger when I was thirteen, it was available and it's still available on cassette and CD. Now I should have brought y'all college. I want to send something. Just let me know if you want cassette or CD.
Speaker 2: I don't have a cassette player, dude, we can find one.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I even have a CD player anymore, except for on my car made.
Speaker 2: I don't think my truck doesn't have one yours.
Speaker 4: I've never put one in. I've never found it. If it does, yeah, I guess it's like a secret hiding.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy. It's crazy here we go.
Speaker 1: But yeah, for me, outdoors was like if I was by myself, I would have those headphones on, I'd grab a stick and I'd close my eyes and be walking through the woods in the backyard or whatever around the house, you know, playing along.
Speaker 2: As a child, Like I have a have a vivid memory of me dreaming about playing the m solo of We Will Rock You. Yeah, yeah you.
Speaker 4: Yes, anyway, Uh, I dreamed of me playing that in like my middle school auditorium in front of all my friends.
Speaker 2: So I know I was younger than that when.
Speaker 4: I was spotlight in the middle, just like a half court. Hey, we got a guy that's gonna turn out, Sam.
Speaker 1: Dude, I actually did that. I ended up doing that in eighth grade. My school let me play in the auditorium.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you were way well better than our wives.
Speaker 3: You were also walking through the woods playing guitar.
Speaker 1: But my best friend live next door and there was a lot of there are a lot of woods behind her, and we all had dogs, and that was my other outdoors. We go out and we built tree forts. That was the most of my outdoor time. And you know, i'd be Indiana Jones, that's right, when I wouldn't being Marty Stewart.
Speaker 2: What song did you play in your in eighth grade?
Speaker 1: Uh? You know they let me put on a whole concert and I did do Uh have a little faith in me? The Delbert version tough and uh, I can't remember what else? Probably uh just take those old records off the ship still you know that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: It's still recurr.
Speaker 1: Yeah, probably some Vince Gill all all the standards you expect, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were probably the man. They probably weren't. Well man dude, in a way I was.
Speaker 1: And in a way, you know, I still didn't have like football player status in school. But like and I mean by high school too, Like my high school game was playing in a bar band, although other guys in the band, I mean playing literally playing Studio fifty five or wherever what Walnut Street blues bar or whatever in Greenville or but.
Speaker 3: That probably wasn't even like and tell me if I'm wrong, but like that the sports thing probably wasn't even I mean, it's probably in your mind, but not, I mean you probably just think it right.
Speaker 2: You were just probably just well.
Speaker 1: But look by the time I struck out at t ball, I realized, like, this ain't my lane.
Speaker 2: But son, you're out, You're out, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Come on you No, it's it's that way around, not that way around, you know, but uh no, I mean it just music just was so fun and uh I kept lucking into and y'all were asking early if I was bluegrass. I ended up getting into bluegrass first and banjo before guitar. I wanted a guitar. We would come up to Nashville and go to Bland theme Park. You know. I was so fortunate to be a kid at a time when that theme park was still happening, and to grow up close enough. Yeah, we could come to see it, you know, because then you go to the Opry that night. But I was begging my parents all the way to Nashville, please can we get a guitar? You know, because growing guitars was downtown on Broadway where Dirks's Bar is now.
Speaker 2: That place is magic.
Speaker 1: It was so magic.
Speaker 4: If I ever got to go in there, I was just like, oh yeah, And then you'd be looking at price tags and you'd be like, I know, yeah thousands.
Speaker 1: Of times I know, uh, but yeah, so I would. I would beg them, you know. And then we went to oppery Land and Mike Snyder had a one of the that was one of the cool things. But Ipperland had all those great shows, you know, and he had this sort of bluegrass show and he was playing banjo and had the fur coat song. She's really putting on a dog when she goes out tonight. That's where the he runs over the German shepherd makes the fur coat.
Speaker 2: She's been masked for.
Speaker 1: Out it talking about killing a dog. But no. So the whole way home I was like, can I please get a banjo? And that kind of gave me this awesome detour of bluegrass and then I played like the bluegrass circuit, like bluegrass competitions, banjo of Manlin, all that stuff. And then eventually got a guitar, which I actually bought it gruins. I was in fifth grade. I had saved up five hundred dollars and there was a telecaster for six hundred dollars and I had my banjo with me. So I went out on the street and I played for tips for two hours and I made about fifty bucks an hour. Walk back in with like all these singles and all the money I had saved up and bought that telecast. God, and then I was on that path, you know, and which led to playing in bar bands, which is the best education you could hope for it.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's where I cut my teeth as well. And you learn a lot about life in those bars.
Speaker 1: Oh you did. I ran into my biology teacher one weekend. She was like mortified. I was like, no, this is cool there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I saw people get hit in the face. I saw people cheat. Yeah, just all from the stage. And by the way, people who go to sea bands, we can see you, dude. Oh there's like this veil that that the band doesn't know. Dude, we're watching all night long.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all night long, sometimes entire like cinematic sometimes how you get through the gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially when you play it was entertaining. Who Chicken wire in a one way mirror? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Did you play any chicken water places?
Speaker 1: The one place I got, uh, well, not full, but up to the up to waist high we played one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was kind of in the delta, mississip I can't I want to say.
Speaker 2: Like Greenwood, Greenville.
Speaker 1: Green State is kind of oh, Cleveland. Yeah, Cleveland's got some spots, man.
Speaker 4: It was somewhere over there and it was this. It was a rough spot, dude, what do you call it? Chicken wire like a chicken wire place. No, literally, like the bands walled off to protect them if in case they throw a for real. Yeah, I played one place that had another way out by.
Speaker 1: The time, I think so, and the one we were at it was more to keep like drunks from dancing on stage than throwing beer bottles waist high. It was the Queen of Clubs in uh right across the river from Clarksdale.
Speaker 2: That's a cool name for a club. Did you ever play Natchez?
Speaker 1: Not until I was out out on my own.
Speaker 4: That was a rough spot. I can't remember the name of the bar, but it's like the oldest bar.
Speaker 1: The under the hill spot, like down there by the river.
Speaker 2: I really remember, dude.
Speaker 1: That well, yeah, I've got some It was rough. Yeah, it was so rough. I saw I saw a fight. The stage elevated like six feet, so you were looking down on people, and I saw a fight start to break out and the guy went to tayze one of the dudes when he did his like ninety pound girlfriend slid him between him and he stuck her and she just went. It was was like Jamie, he was like keep playing, kept playing and got out of there. That's a wild place. There's no other place on earth like Natcha. And I feel that way about a lot of Mississippi.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And I'm getting ready to do podcast on my own actually with the visit Misissippi folks called Mississippi on the map and talking about how influential all these Mississippians are, you know, over the over the course of history, but on music. But you know Natchez or pick any place in the mountains Greenwood, and and you wouldn't think, you know, Okay, I'm gonna especially somebody from across the pond or something like, oh, I'm gonna go to America and see. But like and sometimes the people from farthest away are the ones who are like, no, I want to go see Mississippi. You don't see where Elvis grew up. I don't see where Roberts are all that stuff. But it is a pretty spooky and cool place.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 4: South Mississippi is a almost like a different continent. North Mississippi.
Speaker 9: It has its own, uh, greasy kind of old vibe. That's the yeah, yeah, okay, yes, well, and you know, the other thing with Mississippi is two of the biggest pieces of the Mississippi story are just across the border in Memphis and New Orleans.
Speaker 1: So I feel like all of South Mississippi has a touch of that New Orleans you know, swampy thing, and then all the Memphis stuff. You know, I mean, we're we're where Memphis farms. It's talent. You know, Historically everybody came up from Mississippi and landed in Memphis, and then a lot of them came here. But uh, but yeah, it's a it's a cool spot.
Speaker 2: I love. Missippy was a solid spot in my heart.
Speaker 3: What was it like going so so you're in you're in high school, playing these bar bands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you decide to go to Berkeley? Yeah, up in Boston. What was that like?
Speaker 3: What was the transition from middle Mississippi country, right, good old boy up to Boston to wear to put it in a phrase, that's like the.
Speaker 1: Best culture shock in the world. And I was one of the coolest things. And they did a lot of great things raising me. But my mom in particular did as a school teacher and one who believes that travel is the best education. By the time I left home, she had taken our family to Europe half a dozen times, all over the States. So I was a pretty well traveled kid becoming from Mississippi. And I knew I was a bit of a nerd and history buff. I knew there was so much cool history American history in Boston. And Boston is a great walking city, and when you're a student who ain't got a car, you know well and honestly to that's part of the culture shot, coming from where you drive everywhere to where you kind of walk everywhere, you take public transportation. I loved it, and Berkeley in particular is such an international scene. And I actually ended up in a bluegrass band. I got college credit for playing banjo there, which was great. But I was in I was in bands with people from all across the world and getting exposed to all kinds of cool music. And then on the weekends I would like walk across town and go to the Italian market in Little Italy and then come home and he persudo, which is just Italian bacon, you know. So it was great. I loved it, and so many of the people to this day that I still work with. I met at Berkeley, we all moved here. Well, my one of my bestmonders here, Eric Massey. He's a great engineering producer. He and Frank Ladell produced the self titled record Parker mccomb's about to come out with Uh. They did Miranda's Weight of These Wings and where I worked with Eric on my first record, Rubber Band, And on the beginning of things with Eric and with Frank, you just you.
Speaker 4: Know, you didn't feel you didn't feel that chill from across the room when you said rubber band, you have kind of a fan.
Speaker 1: Well, Eric Massey is a big part of that record for me. And then like Maddie who lives here, a bunch of people, Maddy she I met as a matter of fact, Maddie, and then this guy Kyle Ryan.
Speaker 2: Uh. She's a killer songwriter.
Speaker 1: She's so good and her voice just like gives me chills every time. But Maddie and Kyle, who toured almost as like a duo for years, their first time meeting was like a recording project I had for class. I was like, Hey, Maddie, I want to do this song, and let's get Kyle over here to play and my buddy out of my olden door. If he works at the Country Music Hall of Fame and he plays for Ashley and Row and different people. So there were a bunch of us who came down.
Speaker 2: Glad to hear you, dude, can I just can I just throw good?
Speaker 1: Me and me?
Speaker 2: Just picture this.
Speaker 3: Me and Luke comes are in Kansas in a like a ninety four Eddie Bauer audition Bronco and we're rolling down just playing songs we love and and and he this is like it's one of the first times like just me and him have been, you know, hanging out.
Speaker 2: And this is a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: And he's like, dude, He's like, you know what song that I can't get out of my head? When like when I'm riding down the road and I'm like, what want me To?
Speaker 1: As? Can we do?
Speaker 7: Can we do it?
Speaker 2: A first four? So are you mad at that song yet? Are you mad at it? I'm not mad at that song.
Speaker 1: I used to be mad at that song. I had the chance to pick my second single and I picked want Me To? And it tanked and in hinsight either for a long long time, well it was timing, you know it was just what was the scene in that song? In hindsight, and for a long time I was upset that I didn't pick something that had more teeth as a song. I was just thinking, well, it should be radio, should be up tempo and like fun. But I've made peace with that song and I actually have so much gratitude for it now.
Speaker 2: You know it's yeah.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: Get the yeah, you just get out your Hardy Combs is loving this right now. He just perked up somewhere.
Speaker 1: Lock on your heart is changing in the dark somehow and lost key say you tried everything to gain love back again? Baby, you ain't tried me that I could break one through. If you want me to tell me what it takes kitchen on a thing, then I can take it from there. This mon Son and the girl get you floating on earth? If you want me to come on? Do you want me to?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: I skipping like a storm of water? Tell me? What have I gotta do to make you want me to? Where Phil couldn't fall any mother?
Speaker 7: Have me?
Speaker 1: What did I gotta do to make you want me to? Make you want me to? Make you want me to? Yo? Hitty man, ain't y'all directors out there. It's in your system.
Speaker 3: So when, So when did you go to Berkeley with the idea of, like, I'm going to go to Berkeley and then I'm gonna go straight to.
Speaker 1: Nashville big time. I don't even know if I knew it consciously, but I think subconsciously, I think I knew when I was twelve I had to end up in Nashville. I just didn't know the middle part of like, you know. Unfortunately, my parents were so supportive and understand. I mean, they wanted me to go to college. Uh, not even as a backup planning. They supported me going to get in the music plan college route.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I just didn't know what. You know, when you're twelve, it's like you're not necessarily think, well, how am I gonna convince my family and how am I gonna pull this off?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: But every step of the way just kind of kept kind of pointing toward it, you know, especially all those trips we made, just family vacations. I just love Nashville's This was the closest big, big.
Speaker 2: City were you writing as a little kid.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny is I so I was a picker first, and then I had the good fortune. This guy named Norma Putnam, world renowned musician, played on a bunch of Elvis Records, Producer producer Margare Ritaville and John BIA's Records. Had a studio Quad Studios. We probably throw a rock and.
Speaker 2: Hit from here.
Speaker 1: He had married a grenade girl and in my high school years he set up a little production studio, and I don't know how I was introduced to him, but I was, and he mentored me and had some recording gear he wanted to sell sold it to me for next to nothing, and so I started recording, and then I had to start writing. Well, I started singing because of the four hour sets in those bar bands, and everybody's got to sing and think. So I sang out in necess I ran out of cover songs to record, so I wrote started writing out of necessity. And the first songs I wrote were jingles for some local come to Trisha's barbershop, Come real Soon. I sold them to her barbershop and to Yes, thinking out my first she is she is? And then uh uh oh what was the feed store? Uh? Cross country feed cross country seat that I wrote for them? That one fire speed shovels, reck song and more it's all here and our brand new store. Come on down to Cross Country.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: You know it probably was at that time a bit you know. Uh and yeah, I think they paid me each like one hundred hundred and fifty bucks and I'd be driving around to school, you know, it'd be on B one hundred on the radio. Like that was my first I got serious about writing at Berkeley. I had some great teachers who helped kind of expand my horizon, especially on the lyric writing side, and got me listening to songs in a new way. So I was able to come into Nashville at a better angle of approach.
Speaker 2: You know, you mentioned Frank Lyndell that he did that.
Speaker 1: Talking about Liam Wack record. Well, you know, and I don't know if he's officially credited on. There's more where that came from, but I have a feeling he was very involved.
Speaker 2: Dude, that is.
Speaker 4: The only person I have met in Nashville that it shook me.
Speaker 2: It really did. Man.
Speaker 4: I can't remember why I was at Fenwicks or we were at Fenwicks me and you wasn't it And Frank was there and.
Speaker 3: He was like that was my first publishing deal was a carne Frank and and and me and Frank were actually going to start working on a record until I jumped ship and rumined everybody's plans of being an artist.
Speaker 4: Thanks thanks both season but anyway, he said, well you'll have a seat, and Reid sat next to Frank and the only open it was a booth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was next to her.
Speaker 3: And I met Leanne before I didn't put it together for a second, and she was like, hey, how are you? And I saw her eyes and there they're weirdly crystally blue, like oh yeah, piercing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, insane, she has insane eye contact. I mean she is very intense, like.
Speaker 2: Dude, I was, I was.
Speaker 4: I was just like oh oh, and I was like it started making, Oh yeah, he's made. And then I was like, oh my gosh, I'm like having coffee with LeAnn Walmer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was pretty nuts. Man. Yeah, but she's a dude.
Speaker 1: I mean all time at there's more where that came from record. When I first moved to town, I mean, we were in the band van like that's all we listened to just don't repeat, and looking back, like, what a gift to Nashville songwriting she is because she cuts outside songs, and she still doesn't mean all her records are great?
Speaker 4: Are you gonna hate me in the morning? If I make you play? Hate myself in the morning?
Speaker 1: If I I don't remember the verses but.
Speaker 2: Read a look I can look. Let's see? Is that a g right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, no, nothing do and always get another round.
Speaker 2: If you do the key change, I'm fighting you.
Speaker 1: I'm not don something. Don down.
Speaker 2: There it is.
Speaker 1: I know it's wrong. The move and on? Why can't you freez? Remember good? I can't remember more.
Speaker 3: When I wake up, I'll be feeling a little guilty and a little sad, A little sad?
Speaker 2: Oh is that the second verse?
Speaker 1: It's you know what's crazy is I don't think I ever learned to sing them, because I mean, why would you? She already did?
Speaker 2: What about?
Speaker 7: What about?
Speaker 1: Uh uh?
Speaker 2: Oh? We can a little past, little rock?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But how does the how does the little past little art? Let go? Oh?
Speaker 7: Dude, please be.
Speaker 2: I got it, you got it?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to leave my life in Dallas pretty trying to see. Had to leave my life in Dallas. That town will always be.
Speaker 5: In it, A crowd on every corner, every face out. So we have nothing more than a tink of gas. I drove away without looking back, and I guess since how I got whether I'm I'm.
Speaker 2: Going anywhere as fast as I can.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm a little past little Roup and further down a line.
Speaker 1: Too soon or no, what's up ahead? Too late to change my mind.
Speaker 6: I gotta keep my heart out of this and.
Speaker 1: Both hands on the wind. I'm learning more with every mind, just how I live in fields.
Speaker 6: It's a lonely stretch of black top down into the blue.
Speaker 1: I don't know where I'll go.
Speaker 5: Or what I do because I'm a little past a little roup, but a long way.
Speaker 1: From more over. You what about it? The food love fo Yeah? With you? Should you imagine like coming into a rite and then saying, hey, I got an idea.
Speaker 2: My goodness, dream day. It's just so like that voice is just angelic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you moved it, You moved to Nashville.
Speaker 2: You putting a hard left on Land.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like we did a justice, right, You got anything else you want to? I just love her so much.
Speaker 1: I love her so much.
Speaker 2: Can we get Land war work up here? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: You've been in town eighteen years. Yeah, you're releasing your first independent record. Yeah, what what do you hope to.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: What do you hope to garner with that record? What do you hope to to do with it?
Speaker 1: Does? What I've learned making this record, which I think I was starting to figure out over the last eighteen years, is the thing I can't live without is making records and the thing you're always going to do it. I got to do it. I can't not do it. And I'm in a place where for a long time, especially you know, when Rubber Band came out and didn't take off commercially speaking, I got in a really bad way. I got really angry, and I didn't know it then. I know this now. I wasn't actually angry so much as I was scared to death. And what I was scared of was that I wasn't going to get to do this. That was what I was worried about. And then some I'm supposed to work. Yes, up to that point, everything had kind of fallen into place, and you get your one shot and you throw it out there and you think that you know and and I you know, if there's a young aspiring creative listening, like, if there's one thing I can tell them, it's like, you know, if your intentions for doing this are true, there really isn't so much a thing as one shot. I mean, in a way, there's you might only get one shot on a major label. And I was lucky in those twelve years at one of they kept let me make records, and they even kind of sent me out the door, I think with some money I wasn't supposed to get so I could make this record. But like you know, even if that goes away, that doesn't take away what makes you a singer, a writer, an artist, you know, and you'll always get to do it if that's what you're in it for. And so I've hit a place where I'm not scared anymore of not getting to do it. And I think the low bar for this record is that it just gets me down the road to keep making more records. The high bar is still that thing I dreamed about at twelve. At thirteen. You know, I live a charmed life. You know, next week I'm going to be in the studio playing on you know, a major record for another country artist. And last week I was finishing up this record in the studio for myself. And in a couple months I'll be on the road playing to fifteen thousand people with Dirks, you know, which is awesome. The only way this could all get better is if that summer part of it and the studio part of it was all just like, all I'm doing is writing songs for me and playing my shows. And that's the hope, you know, is to be able to figure out how I can tour on my own bow out of Dirks, who's been such a good friend to me and so supportive. Not just you know, he's so good to his band, he also honors us as dads and does so many little things that are really big things to give us that extra time with our families, take care of us. He also honors and respects me as an artist and gives me freedom to go chase my thing. But yeah, I think that's the only way it could get better. But even in saying that, it's like, I don't know that I'd be here if I hadn't had these detours, and I've learned so much about writing and putting on a show and making records from all these other folks. I don't think i'd have a CMA on my shelf if it hadn't been for this path, you know at this point. So I'm just grateful for it, but that'd be the only thing, you know, and I'm like so close to the absolute, absolute dream. I'm already living the dream.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, And it's true, like once you get over that, because I think if you don't move to this town with a little bit of pit in your stomach, with a little bit of fear, then you may be coming at it the wrong way because because you're right, man, and I hope people find out that once that, once you pass that fear, once you conquer that fear, man, it just opens up the doors to freedom to be creative, right, and not put your creativity in a box. And you can really you're not You're not sitting down to write a song that you feel like has to fit in this Once you feel like you're free, you can you can venture out and you can you can be creative who you are creatively, yes, and not just try to be the town creative.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think everybody has to go through their own version of that where it's like you hear what's working. I did you know rubber Band didn't work? But bro Country was working it. So, man, if you pull up my catalog and the songs I was writing in twenty fifteen. Yeah, man, it's a lot of me trying to be Sam Hunt, you know, absolutely. But in doing that and then I learned, oh, well, that's not me, and that's what makes him him is awesome for him.
Speaker 2: Okay, So who are you? What makes you? I feel like I.
Speaker 4: Came to that same, yeah, clarity after writing for about ten years, honestly, grinding, grinding, grinding, I came to a place where I recognized what it was that I did that held value and was important or I thought would eventually be important to someone.
Speaker 2: Yet I could help. What do you when you think?
Speaker 4: When you when when when it's Charlie worship Man like, yeah, I know what it is.
Speaker 2: I just want to know. Yeah, you think it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, for the singing, it's it's high lonesome. It's the bluegrass thing. And bluegrass instrumentation is in there, you know, a lot of banjo and mandolin. I think that's a big part of where I get my pocket. Yeah, and I do think we all have grooves. Sorry about my pocket, dude, your pocket's great. I felt it's your pocket. No, I'm sorry, don't be It's great. There's a lot deeper. Yeah, we all got it's all good. And then you know the rest of the instrumentation for me, the sonic recipe, there's a lot of skinnered and there's a lot of Southern rock in there for me. And then as far as like the songs and the writing, it's that Mississippi thing. It's like trying to reach a little deeper to a little more story. Uh, not that I'm anything even within the universe of a you Dore Wealthier William Faulkner. I just that's where I come from, sure, right, That's that's what I was raised on as far as storytelling goes. Also get in my opinion, equally entertaining stories from my uncle Ronnie and just as brilliant as well. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I absolutely know what you mean, because I think the song on your record that does that is the second Chance, the uh.
Speaker 1: Oh, once upon a second time around, Once.
Speaker 2: Upon a second time around.
Speaker 4: Man, when I heard that too, and I was like, jeez, he took like a a pretty common story and kind of made it beautiful, you know what I mean, in a Mississippi way.
Speaker 2: And I don't I don't mean that because they're both alcoholics.
Speaker 4: I mean in the conversation, the conversation on this of it, Yeah, is very relative, but it's also it's pretty pretty smart.
Speaker 1: Who meet in an AA meeting and fall in love and have a sober second marriage. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, they watch a little TV on the couch, Yeah, get a good maybe go to the movies every now and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just know those people. Man to my aunts and my uncles and there.
Speaker 4: I mean, I could it's not all my aunts and uncles if any of you all listen to this.
Speaker 1: But there are there are people in my family, you know, ain't that all of us that we all have. I mean, may we be so lucky to screw up and get a second act. You know. I hope my kids screw up. I hope they do it, but learn from it, because otherwise, you know, you're not really getting out of the shallow end of the swimming pool of life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you taste a little redemption. Yeah, and you know that that it's okay to do that. It's okay.
Speaker 3: It's nothing of the world if you if you make a mistake, yeah, and whatever, you're just beauty in.
Speaker 4: That definition of failure is is only I wish that was something we could adopt. And to the listener who's aspiring, like you were talking about, man, that all that is is just part of the process. You can't even you can't give it more weight than it deserves because it's hearing no or whatever you think failing actually is should be nothing more than propulsion.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're a weightlifter, what do you do to your muscles? You reach failure and then you let it recover, and now you're starting with your true wisdom. You could only gain from that from breaking it all the way down.
Speaker 2: The only way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truthfully, I mean it's in the Bible. I mean the flood, you know, the whole New Testament is based on that. So I mean, yes, there's a there's a deep truth in that. And being almost twenty years in Nashville, I feel like I'm starting to be the recipient of the grace part of it, you know, and the and the goodness the fruits of all that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well, dude, you're a very very respected human in this town. But also, man, people just love you, and I I just want to commend you on on besides being an insane player and insane singer and insane songwriter all across the board, just genuinely being a good dude that that the town loves and is proud of and proud to call you one of our own.
Speaker 1: Serious Thank you man. Yeah, man, I mean no, I mean it.
Speaker 2: You're you're you're a special dude. Wan. End with that quote.
Speaker 3: You want to read the quote, Yeah, I do pretty I feel like it's been five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know, I feel like we're just getting man, it's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is uh, this is a quote you said in an interview. The two more the two most important things are to hold on to a student growth mindset. Always be practicing, always be freaking out on a new record. And if there's something about the writing, chase that and find out what it is about writing that intersects with who you are. The most important thing is that if you don't reveal your true self to others, they may create a persona for you, and you may not like who they create. So stick to being you, even if it feels like you're going against the grain. That could be your secret weapon. Nobody else can do what you do.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, and here's the deal.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, this is the first time we've we've been able to hang out like this and have conversation, and we've been in the same rooms. And I loved watching you cut those lutes and the Luke sessions and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Been amazing.
Speaker 3: But man, just sitting here with you for the past hour, I know that's you. You know, like I can. I can see that being true too in your mindset and your platform and uh and and dude, that's that's a beautiful way to put that. Man, thank you, And I can see that throughout your careers. I'm not gonna let you get out of here though, without playing a lot of music. So I want to hear the story about this.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, well, I was thinking about my camera and I got to say to it. I was telling Jordan this before the cameras role. I was before I really listened listen to the podcast. I was just following and I would I would see it on my screen and I be like, what is the gravel?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: That sounds like something in the King Billy Days plays that we go down to the basement and fire up.
Speaker 4: I came to that house. You are played house shows at that house. I would come to I've come to that house, and.
Speaker 1: That was a magic time. Was hot ship, dude. And for people who don't know, I mean John Osborne from Brothers Osborne. He was the guitar player Josh Mntheny who just got second or third or fourth amination as a session player, plays on Carly Pierce Records, Dough bro uh. And then Kevin Weaver who is the best drummer who's also a plumber yep, or the best plumber who's also a drum drummer. He's a plumb drum guy. Yeah. Yeah, but that was a magic, magic time. Those were all the big brothers I never had, and what a great way to get.
Speaker 2: It was so cool. God, these guys are.
Speaker 1: Well we'd get those GAC those like you know, minute and a half commercials, and then every time they did there was like a product placement. So that one time it was man Wich and like they just brought up cases of management. We were broke as ship, you know, so we just say Manwich whatever we had, you know. But so this rug right here, the story here, this is my my favorite uh song in mind that we'll get to UH. When I was eleven ten eleven, uh, that festival to Keith play. Marty Stewart came to play, and uh, Marty got about he was my all time hero. I had just started getting good at decent at banjo. I went to the meet and greet I played banjo for him. He was very gracious, uh.
Speaker 2: To take your banjo to me.
Speaker 1: And he let me play him a song. But you know now that we're on that side of it like that, it's this much effort. But man, when you're the kid, changes your life.
Speaker 2: So thank you mar In that wild that's awesome, and so get more. Get Marito.
Speaker 1: He'll he'll do it, he'll do it. And you got to check out what he's doing in Philadelphia, Misissippi with his congress at country music too. He's he's the best.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: But no this uh, that day he gets ready to play his show. I've been looking forward to this like it's the biggest event of my life to this point. And about five songs in the biggest thunderstorm that ever hit Grenada drops on us and they have to yank him off the stage because there's lighting in and stays. There's no way he can go on. We're also parked at the bottom of the levee. His buses and so it's getting muddy fast. So the drivers like they're pulling him out of the hotel. You do, you got to get out of here because you're gonna be stuck. Well, they left in such a hurry that they left their bus mat that they had laid out on the ground. That was their bus mat. And uh, he stung that thing. And my sweet mom got out in that rain and put this thing in a garbage sack, threw it in the trunk and cleaned it off the next day. And then until I left for Berkeley. First thing my feet would hit every morning with this rug every morning, the cooling. Here's the full circle part of this. Uh and uh. The full circle part is Marty's getting inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame. And they call me and say, would you like to play the guitar solo to tempt it. It's gonna be one of the three songs. It's gonna be one of the three songs they play to induct him. Amy Lou Harris is gonna sing it, and we want you to play the soul And I said, I got one yes, but I have one question. Can I bring a little square of carpet and stand on it. And so I stood on this rug and there's Marty getting inducted, and I played the solo standing on that rug, and somewhere deep in my heart, man ten year old me, just like you know, just transcend.
Speaker 2: It a beautiful.
Speaker 1: Story, that awesome and it's such a Marty thing because you know, he collects all this stuff and like this was me kind of trying to be a little like him, like holding on. I also have roy A Cuff's last tube of polygrip, which is another story.
Speaker 3: Dude, did you I I just want to ask one more question, like and I asked this to people from time to time, but like walking through the woods when you were little with a with a walkman on and and and and listening to these songs and listening to Marty, and like, did you see this for yourself?
Speaker 1: You know what I really did? And I saw it in an almost in a way more clearly than I'm able to see it now, because all I saw was the truest part of it, which was this is what God put me on this earth to do. I cannot deny it. I can just trust it and believe that it will be true in the way that I feel the Bible talks about, you know, getting into heaven like with the heart of a child. You know, I didn't have the whole part of it where it's like, well i'm gonna have to get a pub dealer, I won't have to get you know, or like I got to compare myself to the It was just like, man, this is what I'm supposed to do. I got and I'm gonna and I'll figure it out. And so I saw it in that sense, but I didn't, you know, I didn't know how I was gonna do it or even think about how. I just thought, well, this is what I gotta do.
Speaker 2: That's what you're doing. Look at us, do it right now with that freaking yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, here we go in And you know, when I was thinking about how it's the greatest, it's it ain't like a house that built me kind of great. But man, when you're nine years old and you're in Mississippi you got that perfect guitar size stick in your hands and your phone headphones, it's such a pro This is the greatest country song of all time. Charlie Worsham was grave right right here, grave grab right, grab all right there's a girl trying to steal my heart. I'm tempted. Come on, man, he even though she could tear it apart, I'm tempted. In the rise, there is miss story. Every time she smiles at me, I know how it could be, and I'm tempted. Here's that cool guitar part. Each time she looks my way. I'm tempted just a little more. Every day, I'm tempting. It's so hard to resist the thought of her SWEEKINSS can't take much more of this. I'm tempting, tempted and try deep down answer. I can't din know. I'm tempted. Here's that great Richard Bennet guitar solo. Ever since she cold my eye, I am tempted. Just one look and you'll know why. I am tempted.
Speaker 6: It from burned by the flame.
Speaker 1: There's no one but in me to blame. Oh, I can't believe I forgot to refrain. I'm tempted, tempted and try deep down inside I Candy Night. I'm tempted one more time, tempted.
Speaker 7: In try.
Speaker 1: Deep down inside Candy Night. I'm tempted. I'm tempted. I'm tempted.
Speaker 3: Gosh, man, thank you spiritual. I'm tempted to just uh keep on going.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's go. You're going first, you get this one last. Yeah, I'll get last chance. And yeah. Well now you.
Speaker 10: Gotten my number, you gotten my name.
Speaker 6: Why don't you call me be alive Jane?
Speaker 1: Come on man next verse ever?
Speaker 10: Ye, well you got that body, you got that friend, So why don't you call me the live Jane?
Speaker 1: You're like God, it bad for you. There ain't nothing I won't do. Just won't kids? Sit down? Lever be the same little live thing?
Speaker 7: Is this Keith?
Speaker 1: Letle lout to change you.
Speaker 2: Little beat you meddling?
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: She was standing at the front porch when I got home last night.
Speaker 1: A good book in left hand and on rolling pin on the right. She said, you come here, boy and for the last time live on your bread, going on listen to my preaching. Boy or I tried to beat.
Speaker 6: You half day half Come on, give me just one more last chance.
Speaker 1: Before we say with through.
Speaker 5: I know you'll try, crazy baby, It's the best that I can do.
Speaker 1: I'm just a good old boy making noise. I ain't running around on you. Give me just one lord, last chance? Boys, same go, Charlie, just go for a second, Charlie.
Speaker 7: Worship everybody.
Speaker 1: Are you in the mouth? Geez? How longs?
Speaker 7: There we go?
Speaker 1: Whenever I'm let me do that that deserves better, here we go. Whenever I'm feeling.
Speaker 8: Lonely, Whenever I'm feeling blue, start thinking about my blue darling.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, my heart starts pining for you. I want to hear that sound because my.
Speaker 11: Sweet baby around this guy, My damn, I want to hear that.
Speaker 4: God Man, that was kind of an honor for me to just trying to hang in there.
Speaker 1: Hey man, this has been an honor for me getting to hang with you guys. I love this show. I love what y'all doing. I feel like it's such a great window. I've believed for a while now that Nashville deserves a late show of its own, you know, because I think back in the ninties like tn N and stuff that kind of exists a little bit, and uh man, this is kind of the closest thing we got to that. Thank you for saying that if y'all need a band, you know you probably fit one back. Oh yeah, we moved some turkeys. Which you need is to have the band all mounted coming around the wall. The only I'm having a band is if you're in it, I'll be in it. Man, you're in enough bands the year.
Speaker 4: Probably Charlie Worsham is awesomes a new record.
Speaker 1: Call it's funny you say that. I've been thinking for a long time. I want to call the record once upon a Second time around. But it's a long title for a record, so so stay tuned. Maybe it'll be something else. There were a few long titles. There's a couple, yeah, and there's some great outside songs on it. I'm so excited for the world to hear it for that reason. Uh. There's one there called good Hurt. It's fifteen year old Walker Hay song. Really he wrote it fifteen years ago. I think Keith Urban almost cut it. It's tough, man, it ended up, you know, like house that built me, you know, just sometimes they got to find their homes.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: Well, it's great. Thank you for coming on, man, Thank you. Absolutely. We got a little present for you here.
Speaker 1: Oh nice, Come on, these boots, these boots.
Speaker 2: Check them out.
Speaker 1: Stephen Wilson Junior said, once you put on a pair of to covids, they took took over your.
Speaker 3: Feet to cover your feet. That was yeah, man, hey, thank you for coming on. Man, thanks for hanging out with us.
Speaker 1: I got to show the camera pro.
Speaker 2: This is pro? What is that?
Speaker 1: What is that right there there of a yeah, Oh my god, I gotta go downtown now find that bootstore.
Speaker 2: Just walk in there.
Speaker 1: People going to see me in the car and traffic today. Lord, thank y'all.
Speaker 2: Charlie, You're a legend. Dude.
Speaker 3: You're a legend, man, and we appreciate you coming hanging out with us, my pleasure.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you one thing right, real, real quick? How does it feel to know that, for the rest of your existence and even after it, you're an integral, integral, integral thread of music coming out of this town.
Speaker 1: Man, It's it's a dream come true. And you know, man, I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but I will say that moment of winning that CMA like locked that feeling in for me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And it was just this overwhelming gratitude because man, the grace I have received all these years, that the wisdom I have gained from just being in the room with so many people, heroes that have become friends and colleagues, And it's and talking about that. You know, did I see this? I think that's the way I saw it as a kid. It was like I just want to be a part of this, you know, like this rug. It's like I just want to be this that little stray strand of you know that already cut off of there, that's hanging on to that rug. That's kind of how I feel like. But I get to be a part of something that cool. It's crazy, man. I know you guys feel it too. It's it's really, I think a big reason why people who end up here for a long time end up here for a long time.
Speaker 3: Charlie Worson, Charlie Worston, so great man, So come back, hey, tribal worse from everybody? When's the record come out?
Speaker 1: As soon as I figure out who's gonna help me put it out, here we go. But I'm teaching it on socials, So follow me on the socials. I'll give you a taste of it.
Speaker 3: Awesome, man, Hey, thank y'all for you got something to say.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, wrap my porch around you gotta check that's.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's it. That's you and me and a fixer up and come on here and or hell and then the yard.
Speaker 2: Hey thanks up. God's she will check you out next time. Peace,