Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello from New York City. I'm currently sitting on a hotel bed in Soho because I'm here for Tribeca, having the best week with AT and T and covering such a beautiful program called Untold Stories, where they give one point two million dollars to a filmmaker to make their feature film. It's such an inspiring day and week to be a part of, so I'm just kind of riding high. You can hear it. Even my voice is a little horse. I've been talking so much, so I want to get into today's episode. It's kind of a departure for us. I don't do a ton of science based episodes. The ones I do I'm very particular about because I have a high bar for trusted resources. And you know, I'm a journalist by trade, and so everything I share with you has always been vetted, and my trust with you is very important. It's so important that I don't break your trust. And so that's why I'm very trepidacious and cautious about the voices that I have on the show. And I've actually been thinking a lot lately about this because podcasting is such an interesting space. Like when I worked in news, when I would do interviews, it was about information or curiosity. I wasn't co signing a voice, right, And in podcasting I sort of come to it in the same way. Like people say stuff on the podcast that I don't agree with all the time, and I'll either tell them on the pod or I move forward, move on. And I don't think it's good to agree with everybody. Like it's interesting to have different voices on the podcast, different political perspectives, different thoughts, but it's tricky because I always want to make sure that I'm platforming people that deserve a platform, you know. So anyways I say that, I'll to say that today's guests is pretty special. If your Instagram or TikTok feed looks anything like mine. It's packed with wellness claims. Peptides that promise fat loss and glowing skin, and detoxes that claim to remove heavy metals from your body, creatine for everything from muscle growth to brain health. I even see people like put potatoes or onions on their feet with socks all the time, and people are claiming that helps. I don't know. Every swite seems to offer a new shortcut to feeling better or looking young and living longer, and it's so easy to get sucked in. Kim Kardashian recently said she takes around thirty five supplements a day. Do you know how part it? It's just swallow thirty five supplements a day and listen. I live in Los Angeles. It is the unofficial capital of wellness culture. I mean a few years ago, when I was working at E I remember sitting in the hair and makeup chair getting ready for a show and one of the hairstyl is swapped in and started talking about a shot that her clients were taking to lose weight. She called it a miracle drug. She wanted to get on it, and she said celebrities were obsessed with it, and I kind of rolled my eyes because I've not been a person who jumps on health fads. I definitely did so. I was definitely like part of the diet craze when I was a teenager and in college, I was like really obsessed with my weight. And that's a story for another episode that I'm going to do. But I think most health fads are like totally about capitalism. They're a waste of money and a waste of time, and sometimes they're downright harmful. And that shot she was talking about was ozembic, and people in LA were talking about it nearly a year before the rest of the media started talking about it incessantly. And lately I've been hearing the same whispers about peptides. I don't know if you're hearing it in your corners, but it is all over Los Angeles, and so I got curious, and that's where today's guest comes in. Harley Pasternak is a celebrity trainer, a motivational speaker, and an author. He's dedicated his life to helping people get healthy and he really transforms bodies. He's worked with celebs like Rihanna and MiG and Fox, Robert Downey Jr. But Harley says that we're in an age of rampant misinformation.
Speaker 4: And ninety five percent of peptides that do get research actually don't get FDA approval because they're not stable or safe or efficacious. People are using themselves as human guinea pigs.
Speaker 1: We do live in a world obsessed with outcomes that number on the scale, that before and after photo shortcuts hacks miracle solutions. But Harley says, we're focused on the wrong thing entirely.
Speaker 4: You cannot pursue success because success, much like happiness, must ensue and happens as a natural byproduct of dedicating yourself to a process. The more you aim for the end goal, the less likely you are to hit it.
Speaker 1: Now, Harley is full of common sense, he has a science backed approach, and he's a person of integrity. You're going to hear in this episode that he turned down doing The Biggest Loser back in the day because he thought people were going to get hurt. I love hearing that story from him. I think you will too. But we're going to get into it all today, including Harley's unfiltered takes on all of the most viral health claims out there. Right now, I asked about peptides, fibermaxing, microdosing, ozepic and so much more, everything that's been in the zeitgeist in la I asked him about. So today, the big question we're circling is, in a world full of shortcuts and hacks and miracle solutions, what actually works. It's time to question everything with Harley Pasternak. So, Harley, peptides feel like they're the health version of AI. Right now, everyone is talking about them, everyone wants to know if they should be using them, and everyone is afraid of falling behind.
Speaker 2: So I have a million pep tide questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, are peptides actually changing the future of health?
Speaker 4: I would say that if you include insulin as a peptide, it already changed health. It probably is one of the most important medical breakthroughs in medical history, discovered by Banting and Best at the University of Toronto at the turn of the century. It used to be if you had type one diabetes, you would die. Luckily, we found insulin and we isolated it. And both of my brothers have type one diabetes and they're here and alive and well to annoy the hell out of me every day. So that would be considered a peptide. Glp onesjtpglp ones, glogle gun those are considered a peptide, so we go vio zempic manjaro zep bound. That's probably the biggest medical innovation since the polio vaccine. May be really seeing is that obesity is the number one lifestyle factor associated with mortality and morbidity in the Western world, and we now have a treatment, a very effective, relatively safe treatment for obesity. But I think all these other peptides you're hearing about, these bpcs and all of these other ones, you know, these have not been tested on humans, and if they have, it's a group of five people, so they're minimal to no research at all on these. You're seeing most of these being sold on social media longevity doctors, which is actually not a field of medicine. I think it's the wild wild West. And you know, ninety five percent of peptides that do get research actually don't get FDA approval because they're not stable or safe or efficacious. And so when actually they do get properly tested, ninety five percent of these things don't even make it, and so people are using themselves as human guinea pigs. You know, one of them makes your skin handed, and one of them theoretically helps with recovery, and one of them theoretically helps with body composition, metabolism, erectal function. We don't know if they really do, and we don't know to what extent they do, and we don't know if they're safe, and we don't know where they're made because there's no regulations to the places that they're made, and a lot of this stuff is coming from China and overseas. Recently, there was a study that looked at peptides being sold online and through compounding agencies in the United States, and they found that over fifty percent of them did not have what they claimed to have inside and had contaminants and dangerous components to them. So is there potential in the future for there to be up peptide or peptides that are proven to be safe that we know what dose you're supposed to be taking. I mean, these are essentially drugs. They're signaling agents. You know, insulin is a drug. Even though it's a hormone, it's a drug when you buy it. It's a pharmaceutical. There's a lot of conspiracy theorists out there who say, you know, Big Pharma doesn't want you to know about these because they can't patent them.
Speaker 1: That's all over my TikTok.
Speaker 4: You can patent these. There's a lot of drug companies making a lot of money off of ozempic and Manjarro and Wegovi, and is that bound a lot of money? You have people now that are trying to take reddit true Tide, which is the only one of those that does not have FDA approval yet is not done the trials. We don't know definitively yet to what extent it is safe and stable. We know that it can help you lose weight, maybe even a little bit more than zet bound, but we also know some of that might be coming from muscle. So what's wrong with zet bound, which we know a lot about, what's wrong with the Manjarro we Govi. These things heavily researched. Contemporary Mining, University of Toronto. Dan Drucker helped invent ozempic. He will probably win the Nobel Prize this year for medicine. So we know a lot, but we don't know a lot. And I think to taste yourself to test drugs on your body that have not been tested properly, have not been researched, don't have safety levels, efficacy levels, manufacturing standard guideline, and I think is risky to put it mildly.
Speaker 1: Have you heard people make the argument that so much of what we use is not FDA approved.
Speaker 4: Let's look outside of the United States. These things are not legal anywhere in the world. There's nowhere in the world that these are legalized for human consumption, not for research purposes, not for veterinarian purposes, nowhere forget about the FDA. I mean, I'm from a country that has socialized medicine, which is not driven by profit. So really, whatever is the best for people is what's available. It's not legal there either. You look at any of the countries like Finland, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Sweden, these countries with socialized medicine PEPTI, they're not legal there, like the ones that are being sold here in the wild wild West. So if you don't trust the FDA, that's fine, that's your choice. But who do you trust and where is it legal and where is it being used safely?
Speaker 1: I actually feel a lot of calm hearing you say this, because truly, all over my social media feed and in my real life because in LA people are usually like a few years ahead of the rest of the country in terms of what they're doing for their health or their beauty. I have three friends taking GHKCU, which is apparently a skin, hair and nails miracle.
Speaker 2: They look the same theoretically, theoretically, I haven't.
Speaker 4: Seen anything change, right.
Speaker 1: I have two friends on nad's which really scares me because it does nothing. Well, I heard that, and please tell me if I'm wrong, But I heard that if you have bad cells in your body, it can speed up the amount of bad cells that you have.
Speaker 4: Sow me. Any research to show that that helps human beings in any way doesn't exist. Wow, And you know what we can do? This is a fun game. Yeah, you know. You can go to chatch EPD, you can go to Claude, you can go to PubMed, the National Library Medicine a database. You can get all these and you can ask and this, Sorry, there is no research to show any scientific support on human beings with NAD at all. And then you'll tell that to someone and they're just like, you can't believe chatch ept. You can't believe the National Library medicine or dat. Well, then who do you believe? Why do you think that works well? Because my doctor told me, Okay, what is your doctor trained in. He's a chiropractor, or he's an osteopath, or he's a dentist, or he's any field you know that is not trained in this. So I think it's a difficult thing, and I think people will be upset when I say these things. It's not a personal attack on someone, but the way we look at health today, medicine and science today is very politicized since COVID. I think some people were very unhappy with how certain governments handled COVID, whether it be lockdowns or creating laws or rules that they didn't like and that you know, maybe in retrospect we went too far for certain things. Maybe they didn't like the vaccine. But you know, I spoke to someone the other day at a lunch, a nice man, and he's like, well, you know, the COVID vaccine killed more people than cancer, and I just where did you get that number from. He's like, what's a fact? I said, show me where that number? Where's that? That's such a I have three of my best friends died from the COVID vaccine. I was like, so you realize at a certain point you can't have a lotical ethical conversation with someone who's emotional and passionate about something like it's like talking about religion with someone. So I'm really grounded. I have no I'm not being paid by any pharma. I'm not being paid by anyone to say what I'm saying. I'm really believing fundamentals. I believe in safety. And I would say, would you want would you give it to your kids? Would your friend taking the GLK two civer would they would they give that to their kids or their nieces or their nephews.
Speaker 2: A great question to ask yourself.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say ninety nine times out of one hundred to say, well, of course not? Why? Why not?
Speaker 1: What do you think most people think peptides are versus what they actually are.
Speaker 4: So we know it's interesting. We there's a lot of research that looks at people's knowledge of the supplements and gray market pharmaceuticals they take what do you know? Do you take creating? Okay, if you ask someone do you take creating? If they say yes, what is creating?
Speaker 2: All I know is it's good for your brain.
Speaker 4: Three percent of people who take creating can explain to you what creating is. We are so blindly just doing what someone TikTok sad us or what someone on social media bombards us, and then we're in that echo chamber and then we just hear more that reinforces the things that we want to know about and hear and believe in. And it's not a knock on creating, but it's the fact that we don't even know why we're doing things. We don't know if there's research to support it or not. Your intern is you're a doctor that you see Yeah, where did they go to medical school?
Speaker 1: No idea, you don't know.
Speaker 4: Have you seen their degree? Yes, it's on a wall. Yeah, how do you know they didn't print it up? Have you ever gone online to check to see if they're a medical doctor? Again, I'm taking it to an extreme to prove a point is that most of us just believe what we're told.
Speaker 1: WHOA. Yeah, that's so interesting because my ethos in life is to question everything, and you're right, I'm not even questioning enough. I think there's always been a plastic surgery culture, a diet culture, and different ways that people chase the body that they think that they want. But GLP ones have really taken over the conversation in the last year. Why do you think these meds hit such a cultural nerve.
Speaker 4: I was so against GLP ones for a long time, not the diabetic use of them, but the weight loss use of them. I was so against it. If you were to question me why I was against it, I don't think I had an answer.
Speaker 2: Just that it's not natural.
Speaker 4: No, in my mind, it was cheating. In my mind, in order to be healthy and lose weight, there's a certain amount of willpower you need and dedication and following up a system. And I couldn't put into words, but you know, clients are like, should I try them? No, No, you don't want to Just do these things and you'll be fine. Just eat well and exercise and eat this recipe and do all that stuff and go to betterly and you'll you don't need it, right.
Speaker 1: You've written like four books about what you can do nine nine. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: And then it dawned upon me one day that I didn't have an answer, and it was just this idea, Well, you're cheating, that you're cheating. What does that even me? You're cheating. It's like I have an electric car and head a self driving and people that are purests of automobile driving, like, how do you let that thing drive you around? Like don't you want to have control of the car and fuel the engine? And like once you self drive, you never will not self drive again. We now have This is the self driving of weight loss. There's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing unethical or wrong about it. I think it's not for everyone, but I think it's going to extend more lives than any medical breakthrough we've had in decades.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about people micro dosing glp ones? I have, Yeah, what do you think about that?
Speaker 4: I think the people that are micro dosing golp ones are generally the ones I know of, are not the ones who need golp ones. They end up being a little too skinny. I think you become that dose is sometimes a subclinical dose and doesn't think it's too low of a dose to actually make a difference to for some people. You know, a lot of these doses you start off with two point five is the first dose on we go be mandaro and ze bound on all them, and they give you that dose just to see to get you used to the medication, but they immediately want to bring it up to five or seven and a half. If you're staying on a one point twenty five dose of these, it's probably not enough to do much for most people, and you quickly habituate to it for a lot of people. But there's a lot of physicians smarter than I am who specialize specifically in that and can tell you more about the dosage.
Speaker 1: What do you think people misunderstand about the body when they think that appetite control equals health.
Speaker 4: We are incredibly similar to our prehistoric ancestors, and for thousands and thousands and thousands of years we had a food shortage. We had more demand for food than there was food available to us. And it wasn't long ago that our great grandparents would have to farm and get food and grow their food, and it wasn't so easy. There was not an abundance. It's really only been in the last sixty seventy years eighty years that we have more food than we need. But the way our minds work, our primitive drives, is like still the same way it was thousands of years ago for a lot of people. So when we see food, we eat food because we don't know when we're going to get food again. Next someone puts food in front of you.
Speaker 1: You really that primitive?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't necessarily have to be hungry to eat, right, And so I think drugs like these GLP ones, when someone says they really help with food noise, I think what it's doing is sort of offsetting these primitive drives where if there's food around, we're going to eat it, whether we're happy or sad, or hungry or not hungry or bored, especially boredom. You know, we eat. And so that's what's different. We have food everywhere. Now you can go on your phone and order any food from the world. You used to have to go to Italy to get Italian food, you'd have to go to JAPANI get Japanese food. Now you order on your thing, someone's going to bring it to you right here with chopsticks and soy sauce, and you can eat it in your chair.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm thirty five. So I grew up as like a lot of the reality shows were weight loss shows. Do you think that those warped are ideas about health and body transformation? They're not as popular anymore.
Speaker 4: I think those weight loss shows were so bad for people. I mean it gave people orthorexia, gave people all kinds of health issues. The Biggest Loser was originally I was the star of The Biggest Loser. It was for me. They came to me to be in the show, and the more I learned about the show, I thought, this is not a good idea, Like people are going to get hurt. People are you know, could potentially die. You know, you're taking obese people that are deconditioned and you're having them do extreme physical things and you're gamifying dieting for them, and it's just that doesn't seem good. And then they cast another trainer opposite me who wasn't who had no background in the field. I think they were an assistant to someone at a one of the talent agencies, and they're like, it's going to be great. They're opposite. You're you know, you're very science based, and you know, I've been doing this for a long time. And they scream and they yell, and they're rough and tough and you'll play off each other. And I just sent him out. Someone's going to get hurt and I don't think this is really good. I think the messaging is really bad. I don't want to have anything to do with it. And they threatened to sue me. The network threaten to sue me, and so I remember I had just was at my thirtieth birthday. I just moved to Los Angeles. A client of mine threw me a party at the house. I didn't know anyone, and I sat by myself at the bar drinking diet Cokes and the producer of the show came to the party and he's like, who's Harley. Are you Harley? I said, I'm Harley, and he brought the contract with you. He's like, dude, they're going to ruin your life. They're going to sue you. You've got to do the show. You know it'll be great, and it's like, you know, why don't you want to do it? And I just sat him down really calmly, and I said, I don't play this on TV like I am this in real life. I help people lose weight and get healthy in real life. I'm not an actor playing that role. Yeah, and I don't feel safe with it, and I don't and he looked at I respect you, and he ripped it up. He's like, I'll take care of it, and he was a really great guy. We've been friends ever since. And then ten years later, no, gosh, twenty years later, one of the other producers from the show, the creator came to me and said, I respect that you didn't want to do our show twenty years ago. I have a show for you now. And we did a talk show together on ABC and it was terrible, but it was a good experience.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. Yeah, why was it a good experience?
Speaker 4: It was a good experience because it was more about educating people rather than like how much weight can you lose as quickly as possible. It was about teaching people how to cook, teaching people simple ways to exercise at home, teaching people how to give good sleep habits. It was like take home stuff. I don't know what you can take home from watching The Biggest Loser.
Speaker 1: If someone loses weight, but they also lose muscle, energy, confidence, trust in their own body, is that actually a health win.
Speaker 4: Losing weight is not what you want to do. You want to lose fat. Yeah, And so when people are losing twenty pounds that as muscle and ten is fat, they're less healthy and so I think it's really important that if you focus on the input rather than the output. I've never owned a scale, I've never weighed anybody. I don't care what you weigh. I don't care what your body fat percentage is. I can't directly control your weight or directly control your body fat. I can indirectly control it. Did you ever read Man Search for Meaning, one of.
Speaker 1: My favorite books, Mind Too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so Victor Frankel. He said, you cannot pursue success because success, much like happiness, must ensue and happens as a natural byproduct of dedicating yourself to a process. The more you aim for the end goal, the less likely you are to hit it. So when you're pursuing health, if you focus on the endpoint, the scale, the measurements, all the things on the biggest loser, does or did you're hooped? You've lost. If you focus on the things you have direct control over. How many times did you move your feet today, how many steps did you take, what time did you go to bed? What and how much did you eat? If you focus on the things you have only you can control, and you do them to the best of your ability, then you've done the best you can do as a byproduct, and only as a byproduct, you'll lose body fat, you'll get stronger, you'll sleep better, you'll be healthier, you'll be happier. So I focus on the inputs a lot more than focusing on the output.
Speaker 1: You just mentioned steps, And I have to tell you, I think you changed my life because over the last two years, I've been working more hours than I've ever worked, and I gain ten pounds, and I work out really hard, like three days a week always, and I'm eating kind of the same way that I always have, And I could not figure out what was going on. And I'm like, I didn't really get that much older, you know, like, I don't think that it's my metabolism the way people like, and even that has been sort of debunked now that your metabolism gets slower as you get older.
Speaker 4: Your metabolism doesn't get slower because of age. Your metabolism tends to get slower because you've lost muscle tissue. Okay is the main driver?
Speaker 1: Oh, Okay. As I was researching for our interview, you became really well known for talking about steps. Yeah, and I realized I work out really hard three days a week, and I am totally sedentary other than that, right, I am sitting at my computer. That's it. That's the issue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we call that NEAT. What is that non exercise activity thermogenesis?
Speaker 1: I'm neat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we need to work on your need. So that ten thousand step goal thing you hear people recently, it's come out that that wasn't a science based thing and that number was arbitrary and a marketing number.
Speaker 1: That was me, I know it was you.
Speaker 4: So I helped launch fitbit, and I was with fitbit for a decade maybe more. And I had just written a book called The World Diet, where I traveled around the world to the ten healthiest countries. Yeah, and I want to understand why do they live so much longer than us? Lower or obesity, diabetes, hard to these cancers. And I found that on average, those countries walked almost ten thousand steps per day, whereas the average American was forty two hundred steps per day. So I said, hey, ten thousands the magic number. It's arbitrary, but at the same time it's not It comes from somewhere. So yeah, so thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you eat when you're hungry? I heard you eat five small meals a day.
Speaker 4: That's changed. I think when I was younger, I had a bigger appetite, okay, and I could do that no problem. Maybe now I'm like three meals in a snack. My appetite's definitely shrunk with age.
Speaker 2: Do you follow intuitive eating?
Speaker 1: Would you say?
Speaker 4: To some extent. But I'm a creature of habit, and there's sort of three or four go to breakfasts I have every day in my life, and there's one or two go to lunches I have almost every day of my life, and then dinners have free for all. We have a lot of kids in the house. But I tend to follow the the from a macro perspective the same. But I don't wait till i'm hungry to eat. If it's time to eat, I eat.
Speaker 2: Are all carbs equal?
Speaker 4: No, not all carbs are equal. Not all people are equal. Some bad people, That doesn't mean all people are bad. The more a carbohydrate is in its natural state, yeah, the better, The less processed, the better. So a potato with the skin is actually really good for you. Mashed potato A little bit less mashed potato with sour cream and butter and bacon bits potato chips, French fries. Those are hyper processed. There's a lot of added oils. Not as good those are, you know, at that point, A potato chip and a French fries not even a carb at that point. It's a fat. It gets more of its calories from fat than from potatoes. An apple is great, an apple juice less great, rice is great, rice flour less great. So I think the more it's in its natural state, the better.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about intermittent fasting. I've anecdotally heard from men it works really well for them, and then women not as much.
Speaker 4: So we used to just call it skipping breakfast. Really, that's what intermittent fasting is.
Speaker 2: That's what's so bad.
Speaker 4: It's just skipping breakfast. It Generally there's a feeding window, and different people who do intermint fasting have a different feet meal. It could be a four hour window, it could be a six hour window where you eat all the calories of your day in that window, and that window could be the first four or five hours of the day, the last four five hours a day, the middle four hours of the day, and you jam all your calories into that. We have a lot of data from a long time on intermin fasting. It's called ramadant, so one month a year. Muslims intermittent fast, right, So they fast all day and then they gorge at night. Theoretically they can have an early morning meal before they go, you know, but they generally gorge all night and they gain weight. So what we've learned is intermittent fasting in and of itself is no better than eating traditionally for weight loss. It's more about what you eat and how much you eat, rather than how you want to spread it out throughout the day.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. Yeah, so people are just condensing their calories if it's working for them, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: And also there's a sense there's an other issue where there's this sort of permission that you give yourself. If you fast all day and you've got this window to feed, I can eat whatever I want because I didn't eat this is my only food of the day. If you gorge and over that four hour window, you eat four thousand calories. And someone on the other hand, eats three meals evenly throughout the day at one thousand calories each per meal. The person eating a thousand calories each per meal three meals a day is going to lose more weight or gain less weight than the person gorgeing on four thousand calories in that window.
Speaker 1: So my mother is my health inspiration, and I usually don't have anybody talking about science on the podcast because it evades me. So this question is from her. Yeah, she said, I want to talk carbs and fats. If you eat carbs, you burn fat only if you work out.
Speaker 2: Is that true or false?
Speaker 4: No, Mom, No, so false. So we have three energy systems in the body. Right now, you and I are sitting here, we're talking. We're in the aerobic energy system. Aerobic means with oxygen, we can carry on a conversation. We're almost burning exclusively fat right now. Then the more intense that we get from here, you know, if we were to jog around the block, all of a sudden, we're anaerobic. You know, we're getting more anaerobic. The intensity is to hire we're kind of we can't carry in a conversation because you're winded. All of a sudden, you're without oxygen, you're anaerobic, and you're burning more carbohydrates. So you go from fat to fat, and carbs to fat, and carbs to carbs in fat to mainly carbs, and the more intense you are, it's carbs carbs, to the point that when you're sprinting or weight training, you're in a third energy system called the ATP system. ATP is like the basic currency of energy. You know the video game pac Man, those little power pellets. Imagine each one of those is ATP. They are little energy balls. Right. ATP stands for a dentisine Try phosphate, Try tryes three. Adnisine is here, and there's three phosphate groups like the letter eat. When the top one falls off, it releases energy, and that's how we can blink. That's how we can flex our muscles. That's how we can sprint. But now we're left with a broken ATP instead of a TP, it's ADP, it's got two phosphates. It's useless to us. So creating picks up that loose phosphate group, brings it back regenerates ATP for us, and now we can blink again. We can flex our muscles again. So those are the three energy systems. What dictates which substrate we're using. Are we burning carbs, are we burning fat? Are we burning ATP is the intensity on what we're doing, so it's not what we ate and you don't only burn energy doing something or other. But tell your mom that talking to her on the phone. Mom, right now, we're burning fat.
Speaker 1: She's trying to burn everything, right, so she needs to go to a hit clas. Where's you're from Chicago?
Speaker 4: Right? Perfect?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: It just sounds like a mom from Chicago asked that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, half of these questions are hurt No, I'm kidding her other question and then it's truly back to my questions are how do you control cravings?
Speaker 4: Do you control cravings? I think some cravings occur because you're hungry, So making sure you're filling yourself up with the right food throughout the day so you're not vulnerable at the wrong time. Is because your blood sugar's low because you're hungry. Yeah, cravings can come from boredom. Cravings can come from having too strict of a diet, like orthorexia. So I think allowing yourself some flexibility in any eating plan to eat the things that bring you joy, I think is important so that you know you never got I went a whole year and didn't even have birthday cake and my own birthday like that's sad. I love chocolate. I'll have some kind of chocolate almost every day, but I'll have a tiny bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard you talk about that that you don't believe in deprivation, like go eat the pasta and Italy and go eat the French fries in France.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. You're not gaining weight because you're eating French fries or because you're eating pasta. You're gaining weight because you're eating too much.
Speaker 1: When do you think health became something that we try to hack?
Speaker 4: I want to say, and we can probably look this up, but it was ten years ago that the average Americans New Year's resolution went from money to weight loss. Interesting, I think it was ten or eleven years ago where it was the first time ever where it wasn't money was the New Years or I want to make more money next year, it became I want to lose weight. So I think I think health is something we've always had, you know, back at the turn of the century, you know, Kellogg had these crazy clinics of weight loss. I think if you go back even before that, the Roman gladiators and the palaestras and becoming strong and eating weird animal parts for vitality, and I think there's always been this human nature thing of wanting to live forever. We've always had it, And then as we progress in our knowledge and science, we started to think like, maybe this is a thing that I can do, and maybe I have control over how long I live. So I think we're at an interesting point now, especially AI, especially with these GLP ones. I think you're going to see the average lifespan of a human leap a decade out of nowhere, a decade maybe.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Knowing that obesity related deaths are the main cause of death in the West, and you know, one hundred years ago it was probably starvation. Yeah, now we're the other way around. But now we have a treatment for that.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: I think you're going to eliminate a lot of Type two diabetes, a lot of heart disease, a lot of cancers. It's an interesting time we're living in.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you mentioned AI because I think we feel as if AI could make things easier for us, just the way that these peptides are hacks, so to speak, can make things easier for us. But with AI, the concern is that if we overuse it, we'll lose parts of our brain. Yeah, similar to this. I feel like the concern is we lose some of our muscle. What parts of health do you think cannot be outsourced to a shot, a supplement, or a shortcut.
Speaker 4: Strength training is essential, whether you be taking a GLB one or no. You know, I think it's even more important when you're taking a JAILB one. Yeah, but it's the fountain of you. Strength training. Sleep. You know, that's something that no one can do for you. You have to know when to go to bed, when to wake up. You have to not have alcohol before bed. If you want to have a good deep sleep. You have to not look at stressful emails and have your phone on all night. So I think those are things that can't take away from you. I think relationships, laughter, feeling a sense of community, those are important things that would go away and have gone away with social media. You know, I saw a friend yesterday. I bumped you I haven't seen in three years. I was so happy to see him. I had so many questions for him. He didn't ask me anything, and he said at the end, He's like, I feel like I know everything about you. I follow you in social media. Your family looks great, simply you're doing well with work. You know, you just have that vacation that looks like fun, and it took away the human interaction, the curiosity because of social media. So I think maintaining relationships, may taining community. I think those things are so important.
Speaker 2: Mostly women are listening.
Speaker 1: Here. For any woman listening who is thinking, I just don't like strength training or I prefer pilates, what do you say to her.
Speaker 4: I just don't like strength training. I don't like brushing my teeth, but I know that I should brush my teeth. I know that I'm better for it. I know that all my teeth will last longer. I know how better breath, maybe even better heart health. So for someone who doesn't like resistance training, I don't think it's an option. It's part of personal hygiene. It's part of taking care of your health. It doesn't mean you need to go to a gym to do it. It doesn't mean you need to do it for a long periods of time. It doesn't mean you need to do Olympic style lifts, but you need to do some degree of resistance training or.
Speaker 1: Gym's not mandatory in your mind, Jim's do.
Speaker 4: You remember the Gatica. Uh uh, it's like a sci fi movie back in the day with Jude Law. It was mandatory in this movie. It's pretty cool. But I think that the person just needs to understand that resistance training doesn't have to be as daunting as probably in their head they think it is okay, and they just need to find what works for them.
Speaker 1: You became known for saying take twelve thousand steps a day, and you said it could be ten, right, it's sort of an arbitrary number. Do you feel like if I take these ten thousand steps a day for several months that I will no longer be neat?
Speaker 4: I think that you should think about increasing what you're doing right now. Don't put a number to it. And whatever you're doing now, gradually increase it over time, Okay, and before you know it, you'll probably get up to that number and you'll feel great. Your body will feel great, your mind feels For me, it's a form of meditation. I love that you don't need to sweat, you don't need to huff and puff. It doesn't need to be all once. It can be broken up evenly throughout the day. Everyone really likes it when they start doing It's a habit that everyone feels better for. It's also social. When I meet friends, you know, we'll go for a walk, we'll walk together. When I have a call with a client, I walk and talk.
Speaker 1: You've been a celebrity trainer for over thirty years.
Speaker 4: Nineteen ninety two, so since you were born.
Speaker 1: Almost yeah, ninety one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: When you first started, what was the health trend that people were really getting wrong at the time.
Speaker 4: That people were getting wrong at the time, So nineteen ninety two, yeah, I feel like we just finished the Reagan era. And it was during the Cold War, and men were all about looking like Schwarzenegger and Stallone and that was the male ideal. And we didn't do any cardio walking steps of any kind of non zero and women were doing a lot of their aerobics classes high low step classes. They all got, you know, hip replacements from it. Jane Fond was a client of mine for a long time. She told me that, you know, those those rebox steps just destroyed her hips. I think that was going on. And then it was an interesting time because we were scared of fat. Fat was the devil, right.
Speaker 1: Everything was low fat cottage. She's low fat, butter.
Speaker 4: Non fat, non fat. Yeah, everything was non fat. So we had snack Well cookies. You would have boxes of these Snackwell cookies. I remember I'd snack on licorice. It was fat free, so it was fine fruit roll ups. That was a big thing. They were fat free.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fat was the devil.
Speaker 1: I'm laughing.
Speaker 2: That's everything that was in my pantry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there a fitness rule that you used to believe that you think is absolute nonsense now.
Speaker 4: That I used to believe? Is there a fitness rule that I used to believe? I used to think that. I mean, as a as a young guy was a bodybuilder, so I used to think workouts would have to be really long, strength training workouts really really long, and you'd have to do so many exercises for one body part and so many sets for one thing. I mean, that was something I think the idea.
Speaker 1: That that called time under tension or.
Speaker 4: Something kind of not. I mean, there was no there was no method. It was like I did what Arnold did in the seventies whatever Arnold Schwartz, and every day I like, that's what I'm doing. There was no science to that, right, I think, were.
Speaker 2: You you were a bodybuilder.
Speaker 4: I was a bodybuilder. Yeah, I was an unsuccessful body.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: Because I never took steroids, and so you can't be a competitive bodybuilder if you don't take it. I mean it was just standard. Everyone did and it was accepted and it was a thing and I never did. And so yeah, but I would say stretching before workout, that was something I used to believe in. I don't anymore. Really, Yeah, the science never supported it.
Speaker 1: You know, that's good to know.
Speaker 4: You want to warm up before you work out, but the stretch can actually increase your chance of injury significantly and reduce your strength. Really really interesting. The data is profound on this.
Speaker 1: That's great to know. You've trained people whose bodies become a part of their job.
Speaker 4: Yes, what do you think.
Speaker 1: That us regular regular people do not fully understand about the time, money, and pressure behind some of these celebrities bodies?
Speaker 4: Boy, you know when people say, oh, celebrities have it easy and they can you know, they get a trainer and they can get a chef and all that stuff. No, no, no, no, no, At the end of the day, they're the ones working out, They're the ones showing up to do the work. They're the ones avoiding eating that, you know, extra dessert or candy. They're the ones going to betterly. They're the ones prioritizing their health because their career depends on it. Yeah, and no one can do that for them.
Speaker 1: When you're training somebody who has a goal, like say it's for a film, do you feel a sense of pride when you watch them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the greatest feeling in the whole world.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whether it be you know, Halle Berry and Catwoman, or Robert Downey Junior, or or Toby maguire and Spider Man, or or Gabriel Mocked in the Spirit or Ben Foster an x Men, or I mean, I think we've done two hundred films at this point. There's a film I'm doing right now with this incredible young actor where he I don't want to give it away. He has something like Luke Geirrigg's disease, but it's worse and it's based on a true story, and he's like, I got him down from one seventy five to one twenty six, and he's in this wheelchair and he's dying, and he looks like he's dying, and you can see his lungs in his ribs, and he looks you know, he seeing him, I feel so much pride. He looks like he's dying, which it's sad to think that, Like that brings me pride, But that before he even delivers a line, Before an actor delivers a line, the viewer sees what they look like, and that tells the story and sets the stage before the lines even read. And so that's the feeling of seeing that. I'm like, I did it. That's how he was supposed to look like that, and we made him look like that. We'd look at that. We did that. Oh, the feeling's amazing, and it's.
Speaker 2: Like you knew the science, he knew how to do it health.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah. Now for this particular project's interesting because again I don't want to give it away, but we were going to stop shooting in about two weeks and then I have to put all the way back on him and then some to shoot the rest of the film. He has to look like a superhero for the other half of the movie, So he looks like he's dying in one half and the other half he looks strong and powerful. And so it's a really cool journey and you know some of the films I watched growing up, De Niro and Raging Bull was a great example of that. You know, he went from really lean to really heavy and in the same movie. And I think DeNiro was one of the first to take his body to extremes in movies Cape Fear and Raging Bull, and he did an incredible job of transforming his body for movies. He set the stage big time.
Speaker 1: I would not have known that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's very cool DeNiro. I mean even before he says anything. In Cape Fear, the opening scene is you see his back tat it up ripped, muscular, he's doing dips in prison. Yeah, and you just like, I don't know who that guy is. That guy's yoked, he's muscular. He's like, who's that And then he stops and he turns around and looks and you're like, that's de Nero. I mean it's incredible.
Speaker 1: It's incredible too, because not to take anything away from people who are changing their bodies now, but it was before we had any sort of helpful tools like glps.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, there was there was nothing like that. I mean, you put the work in. I mean I remember, you know, seth Rogen and green Hornet. That's not someone who's dowey his whole life. He was perfect with his diet, right. Yeah. If you think of Jessica Simpson and Daisy Dukes or Megan Fox and Transformers, people think, oh, they were beautiful before, and they had beautiful bodies before I got news to you, it's way harder. Taking someone who's in good shape and putting them in great shape like that is way harder. I can get an obese person to lose fifty pounds, but taking someone who looks really good and making them look even better, that's tough.
Speaker 1: Is there a moment in time that you've felt most proud of your body?
Speaker 4: Yeah? One month ago? Why one month ago is the best shape I've been in since I was.
Speaker 1: No way? Yeah, And it was it calculated, it was strategic.
Speaker 4: Just you know, when I turned fifty, something went off in my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: I started prioritizing myself again and I really with the switch. And you know, I'm in my mid fifties with a six pack, and I'm yoked and filling great and doing it with very short workouts. And it took me a lifetime to be an overnight success. You've heard that story. It took me a lifetime to figure out how to do this easily, you know, I just I figured out, I've distilled the essence, like what's the least I need to do to get the most out of it? And so I'm in a good place with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the efficiency of it. Yeah, you're trying to do the most in the least amount of time.
Speaker 4: And as everybody's body different, everybody's different, but we're mainly the same.
Speaker 2: So then you have to tell us what you did.
Speaker 4: I mean, for me, it was quantity control. That was something I fought. I was eating too much of everything. I was still in that old mindset of the bodybuilding days, you know, trying to load myself up with calories to maintain my muscle mass. And I think getting to a certain age and being two hundred and twenty five pounds is just too much and I didn't want to carry it anymore. And my old the way I viewed myself was always as this big yoked guide walk into a room and I and then I was like, I'm too old for this. It's not a good look anymore. Like I don't want to be the dude who has to buy double extra large shirts places and it has to get special jeans.
Speaker 2: And when did that go? Like when did that happen?
Speaker 4: Over a period of time and more and more and more and then and I remember my youngest daughter who just turned four. I remember her playing with my stomach like I was never fat, but I didn't have a six pack anymore, and she would she would like play with it, and she would just say, daddy has a Oh my gosh, that's all I needed. I was like, all right, everything changes. Now, get the cookies out of the house. This goes on, blah blah blah. You're taking the kids to school. I'm going to do in the morning, my workouts, Like every everything changes. It's funny, but I feel great. And I also know that you know, strength training is something that didn't wane with me. I change the way I strength trained. So as you're older, you can't handle the volume of workouts that you maybe do when you're younger. You can't recover in the same way. So I work out more often, but much shorter workouts. And strength training I love so much. So now I strength train almost every day, but it's for twenty minutes and every day it's different body parts and it makes me happy.
Speaker 1: It makes me so happy too. Yeah right, I get more in door fin strength training than running. I think women have been sold cardio for a long time.
Speaker 2: It's finally.
Speaker 1: Do you think cardio is overrated or have we just misunderstood its role?
Speaker 4: When did the Olympics allow women to run a marathon? When do you think the first year was women were allowed to run a marathon in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: It must be in the nineties, eighties, eighties.
Speaker 4: Isn't that incredible?
Speaker 1: It's horrible.
Speaker 4: There was no scientific reason. There was this old stereotype that women could damage the reproductive organs if they run because the bouncing up and down. No science behind that, nothing at all.
Speaker 1: I actually have one more celebrity question. What do you think every celebrity that you've trained has in common no matter what their background.
Speaker 4: Is, Every celebrity that have in common amount of the background is the work ethic. Yeah, and you know it's funny. The Kardashians, I'll give you a great example. They're not trained actors or musicians or producers or writers, or they don't have a specific skill set that would make them that would lead you to think that they're going to be successful in the entertainment industry. But those people work hard. Those people are always on time, those people know everyone's name, those people have incredible dedication, work ethic, structure. It's incredible to see all the most successful people that I work with in the entertainment industry, they all have that in common. They work their butts off and you would imagine that they'd be late for stuff. Nope, that they're not. Their time is precious. Everything they're doing is for them. They're coming to work out, not because someone's making them do it or they know it's good for them. Like, my career will be better if I go do this thing now, I will be more successful, I will look better, I'll get more endorsements, I'll get more roles, I'll look better in that music video. I'll have more confidence on stage. And so I would say the one thing is work ethic. It's incredible to see.
Speaker 2: I love that answer because it's so controllable.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: You've talked a lot about how certain foods have been demonized, whether it's fats or sodium, sugar, carbs, but you are an advocate for carbs in a lot of ways. Are you telling us we can eat all the pizza we want, or what does that mean?
Speaker 4: You can't eat the anything all you want. There's there's nothing you could you know, if you have, you can die from drinking too much water. I mean, honestly, there's there's a way where you drink too much water, where that becomes toxic. So I think everything's in moderation. Certain things you can have more often than other things, but there's room for everything in your diet.
Speaker 2: You have this path methodology, yes, will you share that?
Speaker 4: So I tell people to follow the path p at h and every meal you you follow the path. P stands for a palm of carbohydrates, so it can be whole grains, quenuan, millet o with amorate, tef, barley, farrow rice. It can be sweet potatoes, legumes, lentils, beans, fruits, pompful per meal. A stands for all the vegetables you want. TEA stands for a thumb of healthy fat, avocado, nut seeds, olives. An H stands for your hand, at least the mass of your hand of protein. Chicken, fish, egg whites. I said egg whites, not eggs. Egg whites, yogurt, greek yogurt plain, unsweetened, and or tofu, I said, egg whites, because an egg has protein, but an egg is not protein. An egg receives seventy percent of its calories from fat and about thirty from protein. So I'll have one whole egg with the yolk, and then I'll have a bunch of whites with it.
Speaker 1: My mom taught me the right thing. Then, I want to hit on something that you shared earlier. You said you did a show going around the world asking people in different cultures what was working for them to try and understand our health better when it comes to food and movement and the way health is built into daily life.
Speaker 2: What do you think Americans can learn from other cultures.
Speaker 4: I wrote a book called The World Diet. I traveled to the ten healthiest countries in the world. I wanted to understand what are they eating, what are they doing that you know, they're living a decade longer than sometimes even more, and they're living better. So I think one of the things I learned is they don't need a lot of red meat, which is interesting. I'm not telling people to stay away from red meat, but they don't need a lot of red meat. Some of them eat hardly any some of them meat once in a while, but they don't need a lot of red meat. The other thing is they eat a lot more carbohydrates than we do. So the average American receives just over forty percent of their calories from carbs. But if you look at the healthiest populations of the world Japan, Sweden, Philllinori, Ice, Ice, Iceland, Denmark, South Korea, China, Singapore, they get over six percent of their calories from carbohydrates. So they're consuming fifty percent more as a percentage of their calories from carbs than we are in the United States. People say, oh, the United States is unhealthy because of the carbs. Nope, not at all. And the carbs we do heat here in the United States are not the carbs we want. It's the sugar in your frappuccino. It's the breakfast cereal sugar. Yeah, it's the doughnuts, it's it's all of that stuff. It's the ketchup and the barbecue sauce, ca, you know, sugar. But the carbs they're eating. They're eating rice, they're eating whole grains, they're eating rye bread, they're eating you know, purple sweet potatoes. They're doing all these great things and so so that was another thing I noticed that they do that we need to do better.
Speaker 1: I would have never guessed that, Yeah, more carbs.
Speaker 4: There's a great stat and I don't want to get it wrong, but between nineteen seventy and now we consume seven hundred more calories per day than we did then. I believe it's nineteen seventy. I could be wrong, nineteen sixty. I think it's nineteen seventy to now we consume seven hundred calories more per day. What percentage of those seven hundred calories comes from sugar? Ten? Really ninety percent of those extra calories are coming from added fats.
Speaker 2: So what does that look like?
Speaker 4: Everything has oils in it, everything that we're eating more fats of all kinds. It's very interesting.
Speaker 1: That is very What do you think actually changes a person's relationship with their body?
Speaker 4: What have you seen what changes their relationship with their body? I think focusing on the inputs changes your relationship with your body because now you have.
Speaker 1: Control ties back to your Victor Frankel quote.
Speaker 4: Back to the Victor Franco quote. I think when you focus on your outputs with your body, it's tough. You know, women have have hormone cycles, so you know, a few weeks, a few days a month, they're going to be heavier on a scale. And if they're just their relationship with their body on how heavy they are, they're going to hate their body, even though they've done nothing wrong. It's natural they're going to retain water because their hormones aret a certain point. I think when you focus on the inputs, you don't even notice that stuff. You're like, I did everything good today. Today's a good day, went a bad I love my body, I treated it well today.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Have you seen girls be raised in an environment where they can feel really good about their body, even though there's a culture outside of their home that really disrupts it.
Speaker 4: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had female clients and you were like, Wow, they have a really healthy relationship, Like that's really impressive.
Speaker 4: I think certainly the home you grow up and can give a girl a bad physiqu dysmorphia, a bad eating habits. I think if a girl's raised by a mom or a dad, but usually it's the mom, and the mom has a bad relationship with food. It is constantly weighing herself and constantly dieting and constantly doing all these things. And the girl grows up and sees that and models their behavior after that. And here's the mom say, oh, I'm so fat. I hate how this looks on me. I hate my legs. Then I think that that becomes that translates onto the kids. Yeah, we don't have a scale that I'm aware of in my house. I think with my kids, we focus again on the inputs. I'll never say to like, I'm like, kid, oh, you've gained weight, don't do that. I won't say it that. I'll say, let's go for a walk today. Did you go for a walk day? Let's go for a walk today. You know, I won't punish them for having something sweet. I'm like, you want something sweet, make sure you had your vegetables first. So we'll focus on the positive.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget. I had a friend who's a little older than me, and so she has a daughter. And at the time, I think her daughter was eight or nine, and I was at our house and her daughter came downstairs and she said, my legs are so so big, and I was like, uh, oh, here we go. And instead I was so impressed with my friend. She said I know, isn't it amazing how strong you are? And the little girl was like, yes, it's awesome, and they had this whole positive interaction. And here I was, because of the way I was raised, having a whole different experience, Like I thought it was going to go a whole different way. So I love to see when it is possible.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think getting into weight training at a young age as a guy was really good for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I actually had something called big orexia, which is the opposite of anorexia. No matter how big or muscular I was, I always thought I was a puny weakling. And this is a common thing guys don't talk about. It was called the Adonna's complex as well big erexia or the Adonna's complex, And so I would wear ultra baggy clothes all the time, even though I was a massive dude. Wow, in my mind, I was puny. I was tiny. I never took my shirt off on the beach, you know. And when I was young, and and this is gonna sound strange, but what cured me is one time I was dating some girl and I took my shirt off and she said, ew, you're so big. You're too big. That's disgusting, and I'm like, really, it's like, oh, you're too big, the muscles are too big. That's gross. I'm like, really, you don't say, oh, yeah, maybe I am big and in my head like it took that to register. It took a girl being grossed out that I was too big and too muscular, because I'm like, there's no way she's lying. That's an honest opinion she'd give me like okay, And then like after that, I was like, Okay, I'm wearing normal clothes now, and I guess I am big and muscular and this is okay, And now I don't want to beat that anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for sharing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I have some rapid fire for you, the number one car, but we should eat on the regular.
Speaker 4: Berries, all kinds of berries, lots of fiber and fiber nutrients.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, the fast food place, You're okay eating at all of them? Really?
Speaker 4: I love McDonald's. I absolutely love McDonald's. I've said it. I can't believe that I love McDonald's.
Speaker 2: What's your order?
Speaker 4: My order is this is going to seem weird. I love an egg McMuffin, but I get a double egg. No, butter, no bacon, and I have two of them, so I have four eggs with two half buns. Sometimes I'll get two cheeseburgers no onion, and I'll take the top one off and I'll put them together and make my own double burger with like a small well done French fry. Oh I love McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Okay, the number one TikTok trend that you want to debunk.
Speaker 4: I am about to say something that you're going to laugh at. I don't use TikTok. I think I have an account, but it's just too much.
Speaker 1: The health concept that makes you want to face palm yourself.
Speaker 4: Where do I begin raw milk? That's crazy. Not having a measles vaccine, that's crazy. Most of these peptides today that have never been tested on human beings. They have no safety regulation, so that's crazy. Gosh, yeah, that'll Oh. Some people do this thing where they take their blood out and wash it and put it back in. That's insane.
Speaker 1: That's particularly insane. Not that everything else that you mentioned isn't. But they're saying they're taking plastics out of their blood, but all the tubes that they're is plastic. It's plastic.
Speaker 4: That's insane. And there's no sciences. It's insane. How about colonics, that's insane, especially coffee colonics. No, let me teach you how to drink coffee. That's you're doing it wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay. The celebrity whose health habits we should all follow.
Speaker 4: The celebrity whose health habits we should all follow. I have a client. If you're into art, you'll know who he is. His name is Jonas Would, one of the most famous modern artists in the world. He has it down. That guy has just got such incredible what he does. He's got a great balance of walking and hiking and strength training and all the right things in his diet is incredible.
Speaker 2: And the health habit everybody needs.
Speaker 4: The health hack that everybody needs. Ooh, the health hack. Oh, put your room into a really cold temperature before bed. I'm at sixty seven degrees. You'll get into deep sleep a lot faster.
Speaker 1: Fibermaxing healthier hyped fibermaxing.
Speaker 4: Boy maxing anything is not a good idea. Maxing fiber is a really bad idea. You need to leave your house with a diaper. I think having the optimal amount of fiber both from water soluble and insoluble is a good thing.
Speaker 1: If somebody were to pick up one book right now of yours, what would you tell them to pick up the book?
Speaker 4: I would say, I would say the two least successful books I've written are probably the two best books I've written, but they're the least sensationalized, they're the most helpful. One is a book called Five Pounds, and one is The World Diet. You know, you know books like Body Reset, Diet it really well and that's helpful, and five five Factor Died and five Factor. Of those are great books. But I think the World Diet it's fascinating and helpful, and Five Pounds is really really helpful.
Speaker 2: What is a book that you've read that changed your life that you think everybody should.
Speaker 4: Richtor frankel Man search for me, and it keeps changing, and the more you read it, it just gets better and better and better. I would also say, sapiens, don't read it linearly, like it's not a beginning to end story. You can pick it up and read it tangentially, pick up any random two pages and just read it, and it's it's so fascinating, And I think I think we have to learn history to understand the present and what's coming, and so many of us don't know. We don't know what happened a month ago, or a year ago or five years ago. And and you can talk about this, whether it be politics, whether it be geography, whether it be medicine, science, all of these things. Understanding the history of humanity. Yeah, so helpful for understanding what's coming next.
Speaker 1: Will you grab the question everything card game beside you and pick whichever card calls to you?
Speaker 4: Okay, which expert do you want lessons from? Wow? Which expert do you want? Can I have three?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, I would say. I would say Scottie Scheffler to teach me how to golf better.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I would say Chef Nobu Matsuhisa, so I can make the best Japanese food anytime I want. And I would say, can they be dead or alive?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Either, I would say. A guy who no one probably remembers, named Mike Mentzer, who wrote the first strength training book on the philosophy of strength training. He ended up in an asylum actually when he wrote it, but an amazing guy. Oh and hold one more. Arthur Jones, who's that who invented strength equipment. He created nautilus cool, and I would say him, I'd want to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't believe you were able to rattle those off at the top of your head.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I would be able to.
Speaker 4: I got ten more if you, I mean, I could keep going yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, I want to do a peptide.
Speaker 1: Quiz with you.
Speaker 4: Okay, sure, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Even if they're all a no, I think it'll be funny for Instagram. Okay, okay, So here's our pep tide quiz BPC one fifty nine. Does it actually heal injuries or is it bro science? No one knows, GHKCU, skincare, miracle or marketing.
Speaker 4: No one knows.
Speaker 2: Trizepetide verus semi glue tide. What's the real difference.
Speaker 4: Semi gluetide is a GLP one. Transepetide is a GLP one gip. So it just worked. It functions in two ways as opposed to one. It's slightly more effective and has slightly less side effects for some people.
Speaker 1: True tide. Is it the next GLP one that's coming for ozembic.
Speaker 4: No one knows. Still not done FDA trials. It might not ever be done. FDA trials. It might be, but apparently Eli Lilly has something coming after that that's way more effective than rheta truetide that might be ready before rhet true tide gets FDA approval. If it does so, who knows NAD plus zero science to support it?
Speaker 1: Epititalon the longevity anti aging peptide, no one knows, the libido peptide, no one knows.
Speaker 2: Melanotin two, the tanning.
Speaker 4: Peptide, no one knows.
Speaker 1: AOD nine six to zero four, the fat burning peptide that Hollywood is whispering.
Speaker 4: That one nobody knows.
Speaker 1: C JC one two nine five it pomorland, the growth hormone without growth.
Speaker 4: Hormone stack, no one knows.
Speaker 1: And then I heard about the wolverine uh stack.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't give you any to my kids. I wouldn't give these to my parents. I think life is too short. If you're not nailing your diet, if you're not nailing your strength training, you're not nailing your steps, if you're not nailing your sleep, if you're not nailing your social life, if you're not doing these things and you're focusing on buying a non scientifically tested drug in the Internet from some random dude in a basement somewhere that you know because your buddy said, my skin turned orange, and now it's great. I think you're missing the boat, Charley.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your common sense strategy to help. It's so refreshing. Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 4: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week. SAT starts at