Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Hey there, folks, it is Saturday, May third. Welcome to this weekend edition of Morning Run where we discuss a little further some of the things you heard on our Monday through Friday Morning Run. Roads were calling this what got us because a lot of things we discussed and talked about during the week really got us fired up, got us worked up, but we didn't get to talk about it that much.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: We try to keep things brief on the Morning Run, but we find that we've often had a lot more to say about some of these stories. So this is the place to do it where we go in a little deeper and give some insights and thoughts to the big headlines.
Speaker 3: Of the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of this stuff got us going and absolutely got us worked up, so we got let's see here six stories for you today. We're going to go a little deeper on those six stories. One of them the most expensive prank call in history. Story two, the movie centers still doing Gangbusters. Story three, kind of brother Golf with the President without facing clash. Story four. A climber rescued twice from Mount Fuji in the same week, Story six Katy Perry finally gets an apology. Went to three four five. That was story five. See I'm off y'all. Story six though, is Trump getting his Marie Antoinette moment. So we got six stories for you today. Let's start. Let's go to the top. This is a story a lot of folks were talking about. We're going to go a little deeper here. Shadure Sanders, you know, the superstar quarterback for Colorado, the sun of Hall of Famer Dion Sanders, got a prank call during the draft. A lot of folks robes he was the biggest story of the draft already because he had dropped drop to drop. Nobody was drafting him. Gets a prank call from from someone who got his number because they stole it from a coach from the Atlanta Falcons. So the backstory there is, yes, the son of a coach took the phone number of Shadua Sanders off of an open iPad at his dad's house. He took it for the purpose of doing a prank call later, and sure enough they did. Robes, would you were so excited when I first told you, say, hey, NFL has fined the Atlanta Falcons and that coach a total of three hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Your first reaction was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I think in these moments, something that egregious and that disgusting shouldn't be overlooked or considered funny or not a big deal. This and you were following the Shadur drama the entire weekend, waiting to see when he was going to get drafted. President Trump even weighed in, saying, hey, you fools, this guy was supposed to go as perhaps even the number one draft pick, maybe even in the top three.
Speaker 3: So to go in round five was.
Speaker 1: Already heartbreaking for the kid because a lot of people pointed to the fact that what people were saying about him anonymously for whatever reason, probably had a huge negative impact on how low he dropped. Actually, so he was already dealing with other people weighing in and talking and saying stuff.
Speaker 2: It was painful. I mean that was painful enough, just the reality of it. And we're not here now. It's plenty of debate about who said what and why and anonymous sources and race playing a factor, and as dad playing a factor. We are not going to get into that. There are plenty places having that discussion. This for us was just on a human level. All as bad as that stuff was, this was a downright dirty and mean and mean spirited in a way that was disgusting right to me at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he's already he was already dealing with that backlash, and then to have this added to it just seemed so cruel because here's this kid. Imagine you worked your whole life, you know, people are talking crap about you, and now you get a phone call and it's someone pranking you, telling you the New Orleans Saints want to pick you up.
Speaker 3: Is that that's what was the New Orleans Saints? Correct?
Speaker 2: I think which day it was that he got the prank call. It wasn't on day one, so he had already waited and waited and waited. The kid continues to wait. He is literally waiting on this phone to ring, and it's a phone that's only supposed to ring if an NFL team is calling to draft him. Because these kids were given these phones that were for one use, one use only, because they had these private phone numbers that the NFL teams got. So when that phone rings, his heart's racing. He thinks his life is about to change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, I know.
Speaker 1: You know, and put yourself in that situation, put your kid in that situation, and then imagine how that would feel to see someone messing with him who's already been messed with a lot.
Speaker 2: This is one of those things I'd tell everybody just this is a lesson in just being kind. I was really really upset and worked up about this story and talked about how much of a fan I am now of Shador Santa's because of all he went through. But then we got word robes that the dad and the son actually did call Dion and Shadour to apologize, and I think that's when I settled, because they gave grace maybe when I wasn't even.
Speaker 1: That's right exactly. So this is Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrick and his son Jax Ulbrick, and yeah, they made the call and apologize, But as you point out, it was really really really cool that they said and made a point to say how wonderful both Dion and Shadeur were. They were not only gracious, but almost too gracious. I think that's what Jack said, like or Jeff said, that was even more gracious than he needed to.
Speaker 2: Be, than they deserved from them in that moment. So in that moment, people make mistakes. And this kid that did it, the son who stole the number in the first place, twenty one years old. That's an adult and you supposed a known better. But at twenty one, we all learned some lessons that we didn't know. And I really, really, really really really hope this. I think Dion and Schruduur's reaction is the one that teaches a bigger lesson for all of us and me as well in this You've got to give people grace. Sometimes. The dude messed up, messed up bad with the prank call, But to be able to say it's okay and be gracious and forgive it's a huge moment in the story.
Speaker 1: For me, it's it actually turned into a beautiful story, and that just shows you the power of forgiveness, the power of grace, and it's a reminder to us all I felt like, yeah, I could rest.
Speaker 3: My heart was racing and beating.
Speaker 1: I was so angry and upset for the Sanders family and then to see it all play out the way it did, and you know, for the sun to make a very public apology. What I did was completely an excusable, embarrassing and shameful. I'm so sorry I took away from your moment. It was selfish and childish. He said, I made a terrible mistake and messed with that moment. And yes, the finds three hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So with all of that said, it actually this is a rare moment where you have a controversial story, a story where someone's behaved badly, there's an apology, and then there's an acceptance of that apology that ends up being a beautiful lesson for us all.
Speaker 2: H My story number two we want to get to on this weekend or morning run is you've heard about Sinners. I don't know if you've seen it yet. You probably will, just because everybody's telling you how good it is. And it is. But it is doing gangbusters at the theater right now. It's continuing to do so. It's supposed to have another good weekend and they have even now Robes re released the movie in some Imax theaters. It's doing that well in demand for it. The part of the story here that's so significant, not just a successful movie by a couple of successful guys, Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan, but robes. We don't see this anymore that an original story gets the backing, gets the funding, gets the big treatment, and then it delivers that it could be a game changing moment or at least shift we're seeing in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: It's very cool because yes, it was an original story. This isn't a story we've heard before or we know before. And to think that this was this is a story about vampires and the blues, and it was the racist South, Jim Crow laws and you've got so many storylines going. Yes, it's a horror movie, but it also is a little bit of a musical, and it's also a thriller, and there were some comedic moments. I mean, it really just packed a punch on so many genres and it was really incredible.
Speaker 3: It was just beautiful to watch. It was true art.
Speaker 2: It was a great setting and had great soul. And there was some some lessons in there about not not judging a book by its cover, because this is happening in the South and there's a history there, and Ryan Cougler clearly has a passion for this. But there's about blues and music and where it comes from, and it's happening again the Jim Crow South. But then these white folks show up and you think it's about It was my favorite line of the movie when she said, Oh no, this ain't racism, this ain't hate. They vampires. It was my favorite line, and it kind of clicked for me. I was watching something a little different than I thought I was going into. Ryan Cougler's brilliant. He got a wonderful deal in making this movie and it has delivered. So a lot of producers are kind of salivating thinking that, Wow, maybe the studios will be open to these kind of deals for directors and producers. But I'm glad to see an original story doing well.
Speaker 1: An original story with a predominantly black cast, with a story about black people in that era. And when we saw the movie theater, I mean we actually had to movie theater shop to try and find open seats. But it was filled with so many different colors and faces and ages like it was cool to see it resonate with people from all walks of life. And it was a beautiful story that needed to be told that hasn't been told before in a really, really creative way.
Speaker 2: If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't plan on seeing it, at least listen to the soundtrack. It's available on Spotify and everywhere. The soundtrack of this music and It's Not You said Rope is kind of a musical in there, not in the Amelia prays No No. It doesn't just come randomly out of nowhere. It's very it's played strategically and purposefully.
Speaker 1: Yes, don't want to scare anyone off who doesn't like it when people burst into song. And I think TJ you're among those people who find it a little bit difficult when you're into a dialogue and all of a sudden someone starts singing. That is not what happens here. But there are some amazing musical moments throughout it that actually make it so fun to listen to. I'm actually going to run to the soundtrack today when we go on our run because it's that powerful and inspiring.
Speaker 2: All right, Story number three for us, it's about Saquon Barkley, he, of course, superstar running back for the Philadelphia Eagles, superstar and Super Bowl winning running back. The Eagles were in town this week to visit the White House. You know, the traditional champions visit to the White House to be honored. But the day before, Saquon Barkley, who is black, went golfing with President Trump, who is white, and so a lot of people took issues and he faced a huge backlash. Row But that's the question. Can a black man, black person ever be friendly with the president in a social setting and not expect to get a huge backlash for the optics of such a thing.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was purely a black white thing or was it also a Republican Democrat thing? Was it also you know, That's where I'm curious if both things were true, that both things were offensive to the people who were upset that he took his time to golf with President Trump.
Speaker 2: It's coming from two different places for him. Yes, there could have been I don't know, name some popular artists who happens to be white who goes golfing. Then you might have some Democrats some liberals going wow, I was a fan of yours. I can't believe you, blah blah blah. It comes off in a lot of the language as some type of betrayal or turning your back on the black community or minorities by being not just respectful to the office, but you're getting chummy with the man in the office. It's having lunch and posing for pictures and going for golf comes off to people as you and he put out a statement saying I respect the office, Like, get off my back. I golf for President Obama too, what's the big deal? That was the part that I think set people off even more and even made me raise my eyebrow. That you for him to It seemed tone depth that you don't understand why people would see you golfing with Obama differently than golfing with Trump, even golfing with Biden differently than golfing with Trump.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what I was wondering. I mean, someone else would that be just as much of an issue. But what he wrote on social media, what you were appointing to He actually started his post with lol, which just shows you he wasn't, or at least at that moment, wasn't taking it too seriously or didn't realize how seriously people were offended or upset. He said, Lol, some people are really upset because I played golf and flew to the White House with the President. Maybe I just respect the office not a hard concept to understand. It's also very flippant and kind of basically saying, hey, y'all are stupid. Of course I'm going to say yes to golfing with the president?
Speaker 2: Would you? Can?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Would you if he offered to say, Hey, we'd like to go for lunch with you all at a very public restaurant in New York City? Would you do that?
Speaker 1: As a journalist or as a human being? I mean, that's the tough question.
Speaker 2: Should it make a difference?
Speaker 1: Well, I think as a journalist it would be yes, an interesting moment to be able to report on or talk about having had that experience, being able to have a conversation with him, ask him questions.
Speaker 2: This is social and we could do that behind the scenes, you have an off camera chat or whatever. This is a social invitation.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one, right, you know I don't.
Speaker 2: But then your answer is why you know why you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't because of the optics.
Speaker 2: Because of the optics, I don't know. If there's another president you would say, wait a minute, let me think about it first. If you got that kind of invitation, and look, this has to do with social media and how polarizing people are, and how split and divisive things and how nasty they are. That yes, and this is a different guy we need to acknowledge.
Speaker 1: And it has something to do with gues President Trump himself. You said people are polari He's polarizing period period. And so you know, if you publicly sit with him, have a social outing with him, there are going to be a lot of people who are going to be disappointed and upset because they think he stands for something that is in direct contrast to what they value.
Speaker 2: And so say, go on, bark and look, we've grown man. You can do whatever. You won't knock yourself out. Now. The criticism of that, it was just bizarre that he didn't wreck, kick, nize or acknowledge at least say yes, I get it, he's on this, this and this, but I decision. You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.
Speaker 3: But then the thing he said there was just flippant, antone deaf, all right.
Speaker 2: Story numb before four styles, the one you loved because you've climbed Mount Fuji, but someone had to be rescued twice. He was in his twenties. I think a student, they said, But a Chinese student had to be rescued twice from Mount Fuji, rescued the first time because what was it rope? Sometimes it just happened. You get up there and you get sick if you're not prepped. That's second trip up was the problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, I mean so yes, anyone who's climbed mountains, basically it's kind of anything over nine thousand feet you can potentially get sick, altitude sickness, and you don't really know until you try.
Speaker 3: And so that's not his fault.
Speaker 1: The slower you go, the better chance you have of not feeling that altitude sickness.
Speaker 3: But this is serious.
Speaker 1: I mean, altitude sickness can kill you. So it's not just oh I don't feel so good, I have a headache, I feel like I'm going to throw up. You actually can pass out and you actually can die. And people do each and every year attempting to climb major mountains.
Speaker 2: So with this climber, if at first you don't succeed, try to try again. I thought initially when they said he went up a second time and had to be rescued a second time because he got in trouble, I thought, yes, he failed the first time. He wanted to go back up. That's actually not why he went back up, and the reason he went back up is pissing people off.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: He went back up because he left his cell phone behind when he was rescued the first time, and so he tried to go all the way back up to find his cell phone, which was I believe four days later. The thought that the fact that he thought it would even be there also is interesting. But yes, when he went back up, he got sick again, so much so that he actually was like in feudal position. Another climber had to find him, call for help, and he had to be airlifted off the mountain again. And look, different countries have different policies about whether or not.
Speaker 3: They rescue people.
Speaker 1: Like I've learned the hard way, well we didn't attempt something when like the country of France says good luck on block, like, we will not rescue you if you decide to go up and put yourself in harm's way because you didn't pay attention to weather, et cetera.
Speaker 3: You're on your own.
Speaker 1: But Japan is one of those countries that will rescue you and won't charge you for the rescue efforts. But now there's a big call. People think he should pay or at least contribute to in some way be punished for pulling out resources for a second time and for a reason that a lot of people believe is pretty dang selfish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was some negligence there, I guess, and being irresponsible. And every time somebody has to be rescued, that means that some pilot and some copilot and somebody don't have to get in the helicopter and you have to do it. You're putting people at risk just because you want to go get your cell phone. I know we've all been desperate, left our cell phone someplace and had to go back and get it or whatever. Else. This is different, and it was just seems like it was so inconsiderate, yes of him to do so. So we'll see if changes are made, But that was one that you certainly got your attention for this guy going back for a cell phone. Starting number five for is Katy Perry. She finally gets an apology. First of all, why is everybody beating up on Katy Perry's I don't remember when she became such a punching back.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that people had such strong feelings about her.
Speaker 2: But why though, I don't know if.
Speaker 1: They don't like her music, if they think she.
Speaker 2: Is superstar, she's a hit maker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's an amazing entertainer. I listened to her music constantly. She's fun and energetic, and I feel like when you listen to her songs, she is very positive. Like I just I don't understand where there's this negative energy around her. It's I didn't actually even know that there was a group or a large enough group of people who just don't like her.
Speaker 2: She's just one that's an easy punching back for some reason. I'm sure she's done some things over the years that have set people off. And I remember she had a I can't even describe. It was a video she put out that people took issue with not too long, I can't remember whatever the reasons are. People took advantage of her going to Space and the Blue Origin, the celebrity ride with all women going up on that Jeff Bezos rocket. Everybody bounced on her. Yeah, like people criticize the trip, but she got an extended level and an extra level of hate that was alarming to me. Of course, from Wendy's as well. That put out some pretty nasty treeks tweets kind of taking shots at her, But she did get an apology this week from Lily Allen, who I wasn't that familiar with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and actually, in a way this story reminds me a little bit of the Shador Sanders story, because there is actually a beautiful ending to it, at least in some ways, because of Lily Allen and because of Katie Perry herself, Because again, I just we always have asked folks, so can you even imagine putting yourself in that position where you are just getting inundated for a decision you made to go to space.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a luxury space flight.
Speaker 1: Yes, some people did find it insensitive and tone deaf because of the economic hardships that are going on and where that money and all those resources could have been devoted to rather than sending six women up in space for ten minutes.
Speaker 2: We're not debating anybody taking issue with it. You can have a legit criticism and have a legit problem with it, no problem.
Speaker 1: But to then take that criticism on the trip itself and singularly focus it on Katy Perry is just mean spirited and Lily Allen. I think it was perhaps about a week later. A few days later, she said she reflected she thought about what she said on her podcast, and she this takes this is hard to admit. She said, I was mean, and she also said that she was recognizing her own internal misogyny, which is something that I had not heard before. I've never heard that phrase before. But it makes sense that perhaps it's in all of us, that especially among women, because we saw women attacking Katy Perry more so. I don't even know if I can think of a man. I'm sure there was one or a few.
Speaker 2: Go hunting for it. If you want to find a quote from a man, you have to go. But the headlines everywhere were very prominent. I mean several very prominent women who didn't just say I wish they'd have done this, or I don't know why, I wish those resources could have gone here. No, they attacked them for being gluttonous, showy, disgusting was a word that was toward you. So and that was all women. So internal misogyny. Look, you say it all the time. We have these stories as nobody meaner than women and women.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and people love to write about women who are fighting cat fighting. Of course, that's just it always tends to take center stage. So in a moment of reflection, I think that Lily Allen just really thankfully saved the story in a way because she was willing to admit what she did and then on top of that say I'm sorry without defending it, just saying it was wrong and it was mean and I love that. And then Katie Perry actually went on social media this week and she did not she did not return fire. In fact, she just said I'm sending love to people who were upset. Basically, she said, I recognize that online hate is oftentimes filled with people who are hurting. So that was actually a really stand up way to handle a lot of anger unfairly levied against her was.
Speaker 2: Handled well by both of them. And again along the lines of the Shad Sander situation, you make a mistake and it's a bad, bad mistake, but then you come back, you apologize, and the person you apologize to gives you grace. Yes, we wish some of those things wouldn't have been said in the first place, but man, we're human beings and we make mistakes.
Speaker 1: And you say this all the time. Words matter, and sometimes we all use the wrong words. It's okay to admit it, and it's okay to apologize.
Speaker 2: I love the apologies. Story number six here, this was a doozy, and this was one you brought you you well, you brought the line to my attention. A lot of people would have seen this the headlines this week, but all the headlines said Trump says kids are going to get two dollars instead of thirty. There was a lot more to that story. But when you saw this, he was talking about the economy and kind of Americans having to pay me maybe deal with some uh, maybe have to cut back a little bit, deal with some pain in the economy. That was how he put it. You immediately said that was his Marie Antoinette moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was funny because we were just discussing it as we were writing the stories that day, and I said, wow, that sounds like a let them eat cake moment. And you looked it up and realized, apparently this isn't the first time. There have been a lot of moments over the years that people have specifically referenced Marie Antoinette when it came to what President Trump says about people. When they're suffering. It's an unreasonable thing to even assume. First of all, the people have thirty dollars, and it's like, oh, so instead of having thirty dollars, you'll just have too. That's not what we're talking about. People aren't able to put food on the table. People are struggling to pay their bills. People can't make their student loan payments. So to act as if it's just reducing your excess and then you'll be fine is just such a tone debt. We keep saying tone Depp. But that has been a lot of what made us talk this week.
Speaker 2: And if folks don't know, and again, I wouldn't be able to immediately recall the story. But Marie Antoinette is credited with saying this, you explained the story. I think you know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Marie Antoinette, basically when her is during the French Revolution, is reportedly is to have said, when people were standing in long, long lines just to get bread, just to eat, she just said, let them eat cake. It's it's ridiculous, like, obviously they can't afford bread, so no one is able to pay for or afford an even greater luxury item such as cake.
Speaker 2: So it was quick dismissive way of it's an few of not acknowledging somebody else's struggle and pain. It was very dismissive in that. So with President Trump making that comment, obviously nobody's got once thirty dollars, maybe just have to get too. It did seem or it came off.
Speaker 1: Awful.
Speaker 2: It just came off.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's crazy about that too, though, is that we're so at this point so used to Trump's superlatives and his comments where he's very oftentime leading the way in mean.
Speaker 3: Spirited phrases and just.
Speaker 1: It's almost if we give him a pass in a way like, oh, it's just Trump being Trump. But these types of things stay with people.
Speaker 3: People don't even necessarily.
Speaker 1: Remember what you say. They remember how you make them feel. And a lot of times with what he says and how he says it, people, it's it's hard not to be offended. And that's certainly what we saw with the doll statement this week, and.
Speaker 2: Again we get what he was trying to say, but he can put it in a way that only Trump can't and make you feel the way that well, only Trump can't. Before that is your Saturday morning run. Just some stuff that was on our mind. We didn't get a chance to discuss all this in further detail on our Monday through Friday morning run, but glad we got to chime in a little bit here. I hope you are having a good weekend, Keep running and keep running.
Speaker 1: With us some djail and I'm Amy Robock again. Have a great Saturday, everybody,