Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Friday. We have a million and one stories to get through this morning, as per usual, Ryan and Emily, great to see you guys.
Speaker 2: Nice to see you, so a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of a rundown. Actually we're going to hopefully have a special guest courtesy of Ryan is bringing this Delaware legislator. Ryan, give people just a breakdown of, like really quick t LDR, what is going on in Delaware right now, because it's super crazy and connects directly to national politics as well.
Speaker 3: Delaware is using a very rushed and unusual process to completely upend its corporate law in order to help out Elon Musk and Tesla and Mark Zuckerberg and Meta. And I don't just mean because they're connected to their companies. It's particular about giving CEOs you know, and heads of companies more power as it relates to their their shareholders and their independent boards. And that could come up on Tuesday. And so it's the you know, this multi billion dollar effort to try to bend this already parasitic and wildly corrupt blue state of Delaware even further to their corporate will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the thing that really precipitated this is a Delaware court struck down Elon's Tesla compensation package supposed to be like fifty six billion dollars, which is more profit than the company has made in its entire existence, and they basically said, look, you have a conflict of interest here. The board is completely controlled by you. They're basically your puppets, Like, we are not going forward with this. And so this legislation, my understanding, is drafted actually by Elon's or Tesla's law firm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's new information now that Meta lawyers were also involved in it, because there's this Delaware investigation of Meta for some of the Cambridge Analytica stuff, which involves shareholder complaints and then some other problems, and Zuckerberg has threatened to leave Delaware. Musk has left Delaware with Tesla, and so everybody thought it was primarily driven by Musk, but it also seems like Zuckerberg is playing a key role here, but.
Speaker 1: Of a class interest at work. At work.
Speaker 3: Wilson Anton, Yeah, she'll be able to talk a little bit about The vote is scheduled for Tuesday, and it's not a sure thing that it'll pass, but they obviously you don't want to bet against the billionaires in Delaware.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, and part of what's interesting here is this is a democratic controlled state, so good example of the corporate union party potentially at work. But there's been a lot of outcry over it, so we'll see how it all goes down. I wanted to start. We've got other news about Tasla. We've got this crazy store about story about China. We're going to start with Bernie and AOC at a rally yesterday, actually several rallies yesterday, a huge turnout for them. We've got updates in terms of the Alien Enemies Act and court orders, et cetera. So try to get through all of that. But I wanted to start with this story. This is a wild one. So New York Times and Wall Street Journal are now reporting that Elon Musk was supposed to be reefed by the Pentagon on the US military's plan for any war that might break out with China. To two US officials. It indicated that was the case to the New York Times, Like I said, the Wall Street Journal ultimately confirmed. The White House is denying this, you know, quite vociferously, and Elon is lashing out at quote unquote leakers which you know, if they're leaking information, I don't know, maybe that indicates that is true. But obviously what's crazy about those guys is the fact that if it is true, which you know, I suspect it probably is, given you've got to relatively credible outlets reporting at this point. Elon has massive business interests in China. You know, Tesla, like US is this number one market. Number two market is China. They have a huge gigafactory there. He's had high level meetings with Chinese officials. It's a wild situation to have the world's richest man, a billionaire who has great such great business interest in China. He's also SpaceX's ax been banned from doing any work in China because of the national security implications of some of the things that he's into, and so for him to be read in on our you know, these are highly classified, top secret plans for if the ship hits the fan and the US coast war with China. What our plan would be and what we would do is ryan, to say the least, pretty wild thing to be happening here.
Speaker 3: You know, we've never had a situation like this before where somebody has had this deep of a financial link to China, intimately involved with you know the work of the president. What I don't quite understand and maybe Amily you have some insight into this, Well, why on earth does he need this briefing? Like assuming that it's true, Like is Elon Musk some like military strategist that is going to sit down with the generals and like look at their game their game plan and say, well, because what I know about starlink and you know, suggest that the way to actually do this is why I like, I've seen his thought process and the way he approaches things on Twitter, and I've never been like, that's what we need in the situation room. But maybe I'm just missing some of his genius.
Speaker 4: I got nothing, guys. It's insane and it was entirely predictable. And Crystal, You're right, they're denying it vociferously, like Pete Hegsath, Jean Parnell, even Trump himself. They have all come out and so this is absolutely not true.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, there we go.
Speaker 4: But you know what, I don't even think maybe I'm being.
Speaker 1: Those are honest guys, right, they've never said the truth.
Speaker 4: And maybe maybe I'm being what's the right word for this I don't know, maybe naive, but I can't imagine that this would not be happening every day anyway like this. I don't know that this particular instance is as disturbing as the fact that Elon Musk's job. He's not the head of dog, he's not the head of what became doge at USDs. He is a White House advisor. That's an illegal filing. His White House advisors an advisor to the President of the United States. So I just don't I imagine things almost as disturbing as this are happening on a daily, if not hourly basis anyway. So it was always going to be that way. Someone has massive business interests in China. This is a white House that's in a state department and a Pentagon that's very focused on China. So anytime he's in meetings or speaking with people, I mean, his just by osmosis at very like, at the very least, biosmosis soaking up a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The Wall Street Journal has this explanation of why he's getting the briefing. To Ryan's point, it says, Musk, according to one person familiar with the arrangements, is receiving the briefing because he asked for one. He has a security clearance but isn't in the military chain of command or known to be a military advisor to Trump. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth confirm US would visit the Pentagon on Friday. In a statement on x Hegseth disputed that he would receive a sensitive China briefing, saying it is an informal meeting about innovation, efficiencies and smarter production. But I guess you know that's the alleged answer is he's getting the briefing because he wanted to get the briefing.
Speaker 3: And that seems to be confirmation that it actually is about, you know, potential war with China. What it sounds like what Musk asked to be briefed about is what is China's production capacity when it comes to you know, military capacity, and what is what is the US production capacity? Which are legitimate questions for anybody who cares about the US like fighting a war with China to ask, because it does appear like right now, if we actually did get in a war, we spent a trillion dollars a year on our military. Yet it doesn't seem like we can keep up with them when it comes to manufacturing capacity. Everybody fires off their stuff in a month month two. China is looking pretty good and we're not. We're not looking so good. So it seems like that's what Musk wants to talk about. And then that hexeth answer seems to suggest that that is what was going to be talked about.
Speaker 1: That's what innovation is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, innovation production like that, Like what else could that be about? So doesn't Now, it doesn't mean that he was like being read in on where the subs are going to be and where the aircraft striker groups are going to be. So maybe that's where they're doing their furious denials because it's not that, but it still is. It's the more important part. We don't war with China.
Speaker 4: We don't know, and there's no way for us, no other than their denials about where the line is allegedly. So, I mean, it's that's even at the best case scenario where you have this private tech baron coming into the government to make it more efficient, and he particularly is focused on cutting the Pentagon if he has business overseas China, Israel, Ukraine, Russia, whatever it is. It is an insane conflict of interest, there's no we're all aware of that at this point, and there's no check on what we are able to discern, Like, we have absolutely no way he's supposed to be filing waivers according to the DOJ Special Government Employee status. We don't know what he's what information he's receiving. We have no idea how that's influencing his business. There's absolutely no way that he's able to separate public and private. Mentally, if you're getting information because of your clearance and because of the fact that you now have you work in the White House, there's absolutely no way that that doesn't influence at some minimal level, in the best case scenario, the way that you're handling your business. So it is just insane. Of course, DOGE was always going to be a glaring conflict of interests and playbook read these VOCIFERUS denials from Hexeth and Parnell and Trump as some type of emission that there's a line for Elon. And that's interesting because I guess there's some truth that publicly, maybe there's shame. There's still a modicum of shame, right having like a tech baron come in and a defense contractor come in right. Granted, defense contractors have been determining the Pentagon budget for decades, but to have him come in as an actual government employee and making some of these calls like maybe they still have a modicum of shame about it. I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that's a good point. At least they didn't say, so what if we gave them more China China war plans?
Speaker 1: Yeah, which was a possibility that they would. You know, like, these liberals are melting down over you just giving Elon Musk, who's just a brave patriot sacrificing himself for the public good these war plans. But I think, Emily, to your point, like it just brings home how insane the whole situation is, how insane the entire situation is. This man is one of He's not just a Pentagon contractor, he's one of the larger Pentagon contractors. And to be honest, Doge hasn't really touched the Pentagon at all, which is interesting and telling in and of itself, given that, you know, if you actually wanted to cut out waste for an abuse, that would probably be the first place that you would really dive into But you know, we know from reporting about what he's done at the FAA, he's tried to just sort of you know, kneecap his competitors there with regard to Starlink and shift contracts to him. We know there's been an effort to shift some of the rural broadband funding to Starlink, and you know there may be a like actual case for these things, like starlink is a good product. You know, it works well and it's been good for me out here in rural Virginia before we got broadband out here, et cetera. But to just be able to go in and himself and his lackeys be like, we're taking that money. You're not getting it anymore. You're fired, you're hired. Here's how we're doing things. We're hoovering up your data, etc. When you have this sort of a news item, you know, hit the front page, it just really brings home like this whole thing is crazy, absolutely crazy. So Emily, I'm curious, you know, this just came out yesterday evening. What is the reaction from the right bin thus far? Or do they believe the denials? Is it uncomfortable for them? Has there been a backlash, like, have you seen what the general sort of vibe and approach has been.
Speaker 4: I think it's been. I don't think any of this changed anything of the right. I think people are have sort of made their peace with the Elon of it all that you don't have DOGE without Elon, and you don't have Doge without Trump and in order to and you don't have like massive cuts without DOCH. So you know, it's it's the simple, I guess, reconciling with this insanity. And again, like I said earlier, it's not as though I think this is what makes it easier for people on the right to swallow, is that it's not as though we haven't had essentially defense contractors and private enterprise, well public private enterprise determining what the Pentagon budget is for a really long time. So it's sort of like, Okay, so this guy says he wants to do some good. You know, he's actually in this for you know, not just for himself, but for you know, the country, and he actually wants to make cuts and et cetera. I think that's how it's continuing to be rationalized, because you know, it's true it has the Pentagon has been rated by defense contractors for decades and to Ryan's point, in ways that leave us less safe arguably. So I mean that is what allows it to be sort of justified in the minds of a lot of people on the right. And I don't think anything is necessarily going to change that at this point unless Trump makes some break with Elon, or unless Elon again the h one B like dust up. I think he has learned from that, and so that's those are the only sorts of thing like when he is sort of explicitly subverting MAGA, or you're trying to hijack MAGA, which I think he's probably doing every day, to be honest with you, Although Trump is Mega is what Trump says it is, and Trump says Elon is great, so maybe Elon is truly Mega.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Trump says Elon's right about h one B's so that's right, you know, So yeah, it is, uh, it is Mega, it is. I guess it's dark Maga. Now the Elon version of Mega, which is quite a different flavor. There's a bunch of Elon news. Let's just roll to the next thing. He's got continues to have some major issues over at Tesla They have now recalled more or less every single cyber truck after this glued stainless steel trim apparently can fall off. I'd actually seen some complaints about this before this recall occurred. One hundred and fifty one cyber truck owners had filed warranty claims after noticing this roof trim panel above the windows was coming loose. It's this panel that goes right along. You can see actually here this part here, and it's just glued on. And sometimes it says it's vulnerable to environmental imbrittlement, meaning it doesn't hold up as well as it should. And if this thing, you know, you're driving down the highway and this piece comes flying off at some other car, needless to say, that is quite a risk. And obviously, Ryan this comes at a time when Tesla is I mean, it's the most visible symbol of Elon, and sales have been plummeting globally. Right here Europe, they've fallen off a cliff. Canada they are down like sixty seven percent, they're down in China. You not only have the primary driver, I think is Elon just being such a you know, polarizing and toxic figure at this point, but you also have a stale product line. You also have incredible competition come from China. We just covered this week byd D now has a battery that can charge three hundred miles in five minutes, which is just like, you know, game changing level of technology. So the stock has been falling. Trump has been selling them in the White House lawn. Sean Hannity's doing his part. The Commerce Secretary Howard Lunnik is out there telling people to buy the stock. Ete Actually, funnily enough, the stock then went down further after he said that. But you know, this is not a not a great moment for Elon to have this particular problem with the cyber truck.
Speaker 3: It's a really peculiar strategy. You know, from a business perspective, the buyers of electric vehicles have consistently been people who are kind of on the center left and have concerned about climate change and their their impact on the environment. So to me, it would sort of be like if the CEO of like Smith and Wesson went and joined the Kamala Harris administration.
Speaker 4: And Rachel Maddow's posing with the Smith and Wesson.
Speaker 3: And kept posing with Rachel Matte and talking about how the NRA is a giant scam and corruption and all Republicans are corrupt, and just like having this really like presenting this like really vitriolic worldview and calling all Republicans and anybody who supports Trump, you know, traders to the country and fascists, and and then suggesting that, you know, maybe they should be jailed. Let their news outlets and their news anchors should actually be imprisoned. And then China makes a whole bunch of better guns and you watch the sales of Smith and West and collapse, like, gee, what's.
Speaker 1: Going on happened?
Speaker 3: Why do they hate us so much? They're so filled with hate. We just make a nice product to shoot straight. If you don't like it, you don't like it, you don't have to burn it down. So yeah, so I it's se cure, like I said, bold strategy to just constantly insult and call your customer based traders. And I guess we'll see how that works out for them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we have Representative Medina Wilson Anton standing by to give us an update on this Delaware bill that Ryan was talking about before. Let me go ahead and let her in and we can get to that interview. Oh excellent, representative. Great to have you.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course. So Ryan set this up a little bit about what's going on in Delaware, how this connects to Elon Musk, Mark Zuckerberg, et cetera. But you know, as a legislator there, we'd love to hear your perspective of what this bill does and why it's become such a lightning rod.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 6: So I'll say the premise for all of us as legislators is we're trying to make sure that our state's budget is solid, right, And I'm not sure how much you guys know about Delaware's budget, but a large.
Speaker 5: Part of it comes from the corporate franchise. So what we've been.
Speaker 2: Told a billion a year or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and it's like one point three. But if you if you look at other kind of ways that it also impacts. Some folks are saying it's almost half of our budget, and so it's a really important part of what keith Delaware going. And so the arguments that we've been told is basically, there's these companies that want to leave, and for each company that leaves.
Speaker 5: It's a quarter million dollars.
Speaker 6: You guys know, we're looking at a federal government that's likely to cut a lot of funding that's coming to our state. So we're really not, you know, looking to lose funding. What concerns me is the folks that we're supposed to look to as knowing whether this is how to save the franchise, which is basically what we're told we're doing, are from a very small minority. So we have like two million corporate entities here in the state. Of those two million, about three thousand of them are the ones that are really making our budget, and less than three hundred are controlled companies. And you know, the only folks that I'm hearing.
Speaker 2: Work a controlled company for people who are.
Speaker 6: So companies that have someone like Elon Musk or Mark Zuckerberg, that's that's calling the shot. But even of that of that subset, a lot of the time, the dynamic is such that the controller is not the one with the power in the dynamic.
Speaker 5: It's the board.
Speaker 6: And so the controllers going to the board like, hey, I want to make these you know decisions, Can I get some more money?
Speaker 5: Can we talk about different ideas?
Speaker 6: These like charismatic controllers like Elon, Mark Zuckerberg and others really represent a very small minority of those companies. So what concerns me as someone who's looking at like these numbers here is of those three thousand companies and we're talking about now two hundred to three hundred companies, a minority of that subset, right, are folks like Elon who want to just be able to run rough shot over shareholders, minority shareholders. And I look at that and I'm like, you know, why would I alienate the majority of my customers for a select few when they're all paying a quarter million right just because Tesla's huge, they're capped at the same amount as any other company that in that bracket. So it's been really confusing. It's you know, I'm not a corporate lawyer. This is not my bread and butter. It's been a really difficult bill to try to wrap our heads around, and it feels like it's being pushed very quickly because they want to basically save Zuckerberg billions in court fees, like and.
Speaker 5: That's like, it's crazy.
Speaker 6: Like I'm looking at the national news as someone from Delaware watching Elon attack our judges, watching like this attack on our democracy, and then seeing it happen here, and I'm like, wait, wait, wait what We're Democrats, why are we doing the same thing here?
Speaker 5: This is it's really scary.
Speaker 3: There's there seems to be another interesting layer to the conflict of interest here. I'm curious if it's if this is kind of in the back of legislator's minds, so it's not just that Elon Muskin Mark Zuckerberg, you know, can threaten to leave and take with them. I didn't realize it was only two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. It's like, that's that's not that much, you know in this scheme of your budget, like okay, Mark Zuckerberg, goodbye, will do a go fund me? And or you could, you know, do it do a half sent sales tax. Dellar has no sales tax. But I know you'd probably get thrown out of office if you even you know, suggested.
Speaker 5: You're not going to get me to.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: It's regressive? You know, good? It fine.
Speaker 3: But the other layer of the conflict of interest is that Elon Musk is also a White House advisor. And you pointed out that you know, your budget is linked to you know, federal support for states and which can be throttled up or down, you know, to you know, to the degree that a president is satisfied with how a state is operating, so that it's not just the two hundred fifty ky like Elon Musk could actually be like Zuckerberg isn't a government employee, but he's close with Trump. So is that this in the back of lawmakers minds, Like, Okay, it's we're not that worried about this two hundred and fifty thousand dollars that we'll lose if Facebook leaves, But what we're worried about is retribution from the federal government. Absolutely, we better just give them what they want.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Yeah, I can say one hundred percent that that's in folks minds. What I would argue is we're already.
Speaker 5: On the list.
Speaker 6: You know, it's not just California, Like, we're already on the list. You can you can type into x I still call it Twitter, but you can type into.
Speaker 5: The search bar.
Speaker 6: You know, Elon Musk Delaware and find tons of tweets. He does not like our state. He thinks our judges are woke active as judges, which I'll just say as a as a leftist Delaware a quarter of Chancerie, not a bastion of left but I guess, but like he doesn't like Delaware, They're not We're not on their list of states that it's going to do well. Right, We're going to be struggling regardless of whether this bill passes. What worries me is one, it's not just the Elons and you know Zuckerberg, it's lots of other folks that will benefit from this, that want to go to other states like Nevada, like Texas, And I feel like if we're racing to the bottom for those folks, we are alienating really like the majority of our customers, which is the term that they use, and it's like kind of makes my stomach hurt, but our customers, right, Like the majority of those folks do not support this legislation. And we've heard from like tons of pension funds. We heard from the largest pension fund in California last week, like they're very worried about this legislation and how it's going to impact minority shareholders pensioners, Like why would we alienate them when we're we're never gonna Like I just keep saying, like we got to stop simping for billionaires, like they're never going to come back, they're never going to like us, so at least go after folks that maybe we'll continue to stay here. And you know, it's it's often talked about that people come to Delaware because it's like this offshore place where there's no rules and whatever. But what really brings companies to Delaware is the fact that our Court of Chancery has been a mainstay for over like a century. Like it's one of the oldest courts in the world, and so there's a lot of precedent, and so lawyers they encourage companies to incorporate here because they know what they're getting into. And what scares me as a Delaware legislator is passing a bill like this that is obviously written to benefit a rich few. It really attacks that reputation and it makes it seem like Delaware is a state now where our laws are written by the highest bidder.
Speaker 4: And how are your constituents reacting to this?
Speaker 5: Oh, my god, have you ever heard of a didas attack?
Speaker 6: My email inbox is unusable because I've gotten so many emails from constituents that are talking about now like I believed something I don't evenmber what I posted on Instagram and I had constituents in the comments like yeah, yeah, yeah, but what are you doing about SB twenty one? I emailed you and you didn't respond, and so I made a can but put it on and I'm like, this is this is my position, guys, Like I can't respond to everyone because I literally can't use my inbox. I got a like a a notification from Outlook that was like, you got too many emails at once, so we just shut it down.
Speaker 1: This doesn't seem right.
Speaker 2: And you represent how many people?
Speaker 6: About twenty six thousand Delawarians, right, yeah, and we're in a state.
Speaker 3: Of you only have twenty six thousand constituents and you're hearing from how many of those are constituents and how many of those are people who are just getting worked up from out of state.
Speaker 6: Honestly, Ryan, I didn't click through all two thousand and take the address included, Like, but I know, I know basically all of us have gotten about that many emails, so and I haven't heard from anyone saying to support it. The only constituent of mine. This is a little joke, but it's true. The only constituent of mine. Who supports the bill that I'm aware of is the senator who introduced it.
Speaker 3: Wow, So now it was they had thought about putting it up yesterday. Sounds like because of the public pressure that's gonna happen. We're looking at Tuesday. My understanding is it needs two thirds to pass. So like where are you in your support for building opposition? Like how many numbers do you have and how many more do you need?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know, honestly, Like.
Speaker 6: One of the things like it's it's not my bill, so I'm not like whip counting for it. I'm just trying to do my thing, Like I had some other bills that were pretty controversial and committee this week that I was focused on. I think my you know, I've been here now is my fifth year. Every year we do a bill like this. This is like the most egregious. But every year there's a bill like this that gets pushed through and there's often not much time to actually push back to it, and so I was really surprised that it wasn't on the floor agenda yesterday. And the only reason that I can think of is because they don't have the votes that they need.
Speaker 5: It's a two thirds. It has a two thirds threshold, so we need fourteen people to say no or not show up, and I think we're pretty close.
Speaker 6: Otherwise we would have already passed this bill and someone would have already cut the ribbon on it for Zuckerberg and you know, probably had some fun on a yacht or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's one of the things I've been I'm trying to educate myself the ins and outs of this legislation. Like you said, it's fairly complicated. But not only would it help to enable Elon to get his fifty six billion dollars in compensation that had previously been blocked by a court, not only would help Zuckerberg and Meto with what they're trying to do, But can you just briefly explain that the piece about why this would also harm the ability of minority shareholders to be able to exercise influence within the company, because I think that's an important part too that sometimes under discussed with the you know, the musk is the big sort of like flashing redline here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, So like so for the example, the Zuckerberg example, for example, right, like the reason why that would get thrown out has to do with books and records. And what we've heard is controllers are really frustrated because they feel like every you know, every waking moment, someone's coming that has like five shares in a company, and they're like, I want to see all the emails about this exchange, Like I want to know whether you're you know, whether this transaction was fair to us, And you know, when I meet with them, I've met with everyone, like I can I can see how it's frustrating, you know, to have to stop and pay someone to go through and within five days send all the emails and all the.
Speaker 5: Text messages and all that.
Speaker 6: But what they're saying is that this is a problem that's like over the past ten five years. We want to go back like ten years to when people weren't texting and when they weren't emailing. And then when I look at the facts of the case with like Elon's.
Speaker 5: Compensation package where.
Speaker 6: The director who was who was part of the conversation is like Bestie's with him, Elon says under oath on the record that there was no one to negotiate.
Speaker 5: Against, so he negotiated against himself, right.
Speaker 6: Like clearly, clearly the minority shareholders were not you know, party to that conversation, and then you know that goes through say, say it stays at fifty six billion dollars. Right if you were a testa shareholder right now watching what Elon is doing to the value of your shares, is he really worth fifty six billion dollars? Like imagine if that had not gotten overturned. Like it's like, it's it's really hard for me to even process people making this argument, but they're like, well, people voted for it.
Speaker 5: People voted for it.
Speaker 6: They voted for it without any information about what the internal metrics were that they'd already hit like he was supposed to be getting this, like these bonuses, if they hit this, if they hit that, they'd already hit them and they knew they were about to hit the next one. It wasn't a threat, it wasn't a reach goal, right Like, And those that types of information comes out because you have plans, attorneys that actually do the investigations to make that case. And it's clear that these you know, tech oligarchs, they don't want any accountability. Like the messaging that we've been given is the court is out of balance. It's unpredictable. We need to restore balance. But what they're really saying is when it's balanced, we don't like that.
Speaker 5: We don't want balance, right.
Speaker 6: And you know, pension funds don't want to invest in companies that are just going to throw money in the garbage and light it on fire because a guy wants to go to space and wants to you know, moonlight as a public servant.
Speaker 5: Like, that's not good for minority shareholders.
Speaker 6: So folks are worried that if they do lose the ability to actually investigate these people, you know, the companies that they invest in that are in Delaware are not safe investments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, at this point it might be more financially advantageous to pay a lot must fifty six billion dollars to go away, given the way that he's helping to tank Tesla sales and number of investors who are starting to come out and say, I don't know what going well.
Speaker 6: Terrified of thinking of Elon Musk being fifty six billion dollars richer, Like I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: Got more money than any of us could wrap our heads around. You know, it's insanity, utter insanity. Well, thank you so much, representative for helping us to understand this. It's been really really useful to get your insights as someone who's trying to grapple with all of these issues and make sure you know the state's okay and state budget is okay and all of those good things do Thanks for having me, Yeah, of course. Yeah, we'll see you soon. And if you just you can just make sure that your thing is uploaded, then you can just click the leave button and we should be all good.
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 5: Okay, this is ninety nine percent. Do you have to click anything?
Speaker 1: No, you should be good. Thank you. I'm gonna go ahead and pull up. Guys, this is something I've been keeping track of. Just to stick on the Tesla conversation for for one more minute. So the Financial Times Leo Michael Cores really wants me to buy something. Financial Times flagged this accounting red flag we'll call it where you know. The way that this article frames it as Tesla's missing one point four billion dollars has accounting experts asking questions. I'll just read you a little bit here. So effectively, they have a mismatch between how much they say they invested in you know, property, you plant and equipment. Those sorts of things, and how much of those sorts of assets are on the books. So the amount that they claim they invested is one point four billion dollars lower than the amount they're now reflecting on the books. So there are some you know, potential innocent explanations for this. So they say Tesla spent six point three billion dollars in capital expenditures in the last six months, but the gross values of their assets only increase by four point nine billion, leaving one point four billion on ac counted for. There were a couple of other sort of questionable pieces with regards to Tesla's accounting, including the fact that even though they claim they're sitting on thirty seven billion dollars in cash reserves, they still raised six billion dollars in debt last year at a time when interest rates are like relatively high, so it's not the best time to be, you know, raising debt. They also are not issuing any dividends whatsoever. And so there's a few things here that people who look at financial fraud are kind of scratching their head about, and you know, it tracks some with the Obviously, Tesla is not doing well as a company for the reasons that we discussed before elon stale product line competition from China, et cetera. It also tracks with this weird Canada story where they like desperately scrounged together potentially fraudulently, potentially because they had this loung like backstock of ev rebates that they came in and cashed in right before the ev rebate program ended, which also is sort of smacked of desperation. So I don't know, this is one just to sort of like put a pin in and keep an eye on. But Ryan, what did you make it? A conversation with with the representative Wilson Anton about the way she's thinking about this and how this is likely to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was I was enlightening in some ways. I because I didn't realize that Facebook et cetera. Are capped at how much they can spend.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I know that Delaware is valuable to these companies because it's it's so cheap and because there are very few you know, the rules are tilted in the direction of corporations. But I thought that every transaction, you know, even though it's only fifty dollars or a couple hundred dollars depending on the size to like register as an LLC in Delaware.
Speaker 2: If you do a whole.
Speaker 3: Lot of different registrations, that's going to increase the amount. But it's interesting that they're even capped two hundred and fifty k. So it was just that you would tell these you know, handful dozens of companies total that have these charismatic control controlling CEOs to be like, okay, look, this is not the state for you. Like that's why we have Nebraska and we have Nevada, and you know there are there's there's this race to the bottom with a bunch of these other states that see the amount of revenue Delaware makes from corporate registrations and wants to wants to match that. So you guys, go ahead and go there. But you know, her point is accurate that corporations also want stability and and Delaware has, because of its chance to record, offered stability for many years. So it is interesting that Delaware could throw its entire system out of whack and kill the golden goose. You know, their golden goose is this?
Speaker 2: You know this?
Speaker 3: You know these corporations registering in Delaware. No no offense of Delaware if they killed their golden goose. You know, good like they Nevada, all the North Dakota, all these states that are doing this are parasites living off the rest of the rest of the country and the rest of the world, you know, and you know, they get no sales tax and they get lower tax so good good for them. But like that's what that ultimately is is on.
Speaker 1: The back of us, right, because they're winning the race to the bottom to get all of these corporations to register in these few handful of states rather than them being distributed across the country, across the world, et cetera.
Speaker 3: And facing tougher regulation and consumer protections and yes, shareholder shareholder rights, et cetera. So you know, we get worse consumer protections, worst shareholder rights, you know, lower corporate taxes so that Delaware can have no sales tax. Like, it's not a good deal for the rest of the country. Right, So it'd be interesting if they just if they screwed up, if they killed their own golden goose out of misplaced fealty to you know, Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg.
Speaker 1: This is the one of the lever news reports. They've been doing a really good job tracking this I just wanted to give them a shout out. But one last thing I'll mention before we move on to some some well, I mean everything is Elon news, but not directly Elon news. Is you know you mentioned Ryan how they have to be concerned not just about oh Elon and Bill Ackman and Mark Zuckerberg and these people are mad and they're going to leave the state or they already left the state or whatever. They also have to be worried about the full force of the federal government being trained directly on them. And I did a piece yesterday tracking the way this has looked for the state of Maine. I don't know if you guys remember there was this like flap with there was a governor's meeting and Trump calls out the governor of Maine because she isn't doing what he wants with regard to trans girls in sports. Right, there's two trans athletes in the state of Maine, and you know, she's not doing what he wants her to do. And so he basically said, you know, I'll you know, you're going to lose your funding or we're going to see you in court, et cetera. Well, it's been way beyond just it's not just a Department of Education investigation. It's an HHS investigation, it's a USDA investigation, it's National Oceanic Administration. Atmospheric Administration got involved, pulled their main C grant, which is supposed to like support fishermen and you know marine.
Speaker 2: Research, massively destructive to Maine to do that.
Speaker 1: It actually yeah, I mean this is like a program that has supported thousands of jobs in Maine for years and years and whatever. Then and with this connect to story we're going to do later on. This Social Security Administration dude gets involved. He's the one who was put in charge because he went around the superiors backs and gave the DOJ hackers access to like whatever it is that they wanted. So he decides that he's going to cut the contract that allows the like if you're a new a parent of a newborn when you're in the hospital to just check a box like yes, please, I'd like a Social Security number. Now you're gonna have to take your baby newborn to the Social Security Field office, which has a ligne out the door to the extend it exists at all to be able to get this social Security for newborn. Also cut the same service for funeral homes, so when your loved one dies, you now have to do go through the same you know, painful rigamarole, et cetera, out of retribution. He initially was like, oh, it's just an innocent mistake, and then later on admitted that he was mad about the way that the governor treated the president was how he described it. Now, some of this stuff, because they happened to have a Republican senator, Susan Collins, has been rolled back, has been reinstated because she was able to go and make her plea to you know, the King of begging for forbearance, and so some of these things have been put back in place. But you know, I'm sure Delaware is looking at that, is looking at the threats to California, is looking at, you know, the the treatment of all kinds of people's institution, institutions, et cetera, that I've gotten crosswise with this administration, or like, do we really want to play this game.
Speaker 4: It's the mob?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's nice state you got there.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of power kind of on the table that hasn't been used by the federal government against states and against institutions and nonprofits because of norms that have built up over the last couple hundred years, and not just.
Speaker 1: Norms, but also some legislation that you know, I mean, the big founding of the Republic, we had a lot of like this sort of patronage system that is very common, and then over time there was actual reform and legislation put in place too to try to ensure that the bureaucracy would be more or less neutral. And not to say that it's ever lived up fully to that ideal, you know, but that was kind of the assumption, is that the bureaucracy would be neutral, whether it was you as a person, you as a state, you was a law firm, as is another relevant example right now, you as a media organization, et cetera. And that expectation this administration is just completely tossed out the window. Now your expectation is that you will be targeted if you get crosswise with them.
Speaker 2: It's interesting because Emily, I think your mic went off.
Speaker 1: Don jummy, I hear you, but it's kind of quieter.
Speaker 4: Okay, there you go any thing, but I'll just talk louder. But one of the things that is interesting about it is there was I mean there were threats the Obomba administration threatened every K through twelve school actually higher education to first on the dear Colleague letter on sexual assault and then on the dear Colleague letter reading gender identity into title nine. And what Trump is doing is much more nakedly like, hey, I am the boss. I am you know, the guy in charge of this racket that we call the federal government, and you will comply with me. But I think some of it stems from and I know this because I hear it on the right watching the lesson of how federal funds were used for a long time by I mean, the Obama administration is the best example in the Biden administration. So some of it is like they took permission, they realized like, okay, so we're going to play this game. We're going to play it way better than you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a fair point in the sense that the Obama Department of Education, did you know, use the at department entitle nine to pressure universities to change change policies.
Speaker 2: And yeah.
Speaker 3: The difference now, of course, is that they're using like the presence of Social Security offices to pressure a high school on trans athletes or something like. It's like right, what like at least with Obama is like we're going to use university funding to try to pressure universities to do a thing. Whereas Obama, you know, whereas Trump is like, we're going to use social Security money.
Speaker 1: We're going to use social Security, We're going to use We're going to threaten your c grant funding, We're going to use HHS off to USDA. Yeah. I mean, it's really like the whole government is going to try to screw you over. And you know, I mean one of the things that we have to think through going forward to is, you know, we already know that they're using AI to scrub social media accounts to target dissidents, especially with regard to Israel, and you know, some indications that could be maybe some of what's going on to locate these quote unquote gang members. More on that in a moment, and you know, find their alleged tattoos that are so evil that they have to be disappeared into a foreign goolag. But they want to consolidate all of the data that the federal government has on all of us, and they want to use AI. So I mean it's not. It doesn't take a leap to imagine the way that you wouldn't even need a particular bureaucrat to hate you, like the Social Security dude hated the Janet Mills, the governor of Maine, to have your experience with the government now be biased against you if you dare, say one of the you know, forbidden words, or hold a forbidden pic position, or have criticized Elon or Tesla God forbid or Trump et cetera.
Speaker 4: Like, there are the.
Speaker 1: Tools now to you institute that level of weaponization down to the person by person level, even if you are basically like just a nobody, random ordinary person who happens to have a political opinion. That's all I think at this point on the table right now, and to me is quite terrifying direction that we could very easily be headed in.
Speaker 4: Well, and you have multiple private sector folks in the government with special government employee status who would have access. So that's sort of centralized.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, That's exactly right. So this I wanted to cover this story, you know, getting to the latest with regard to the invocation of the Alien Enemies Act. You know, the administration is claiming that this gives them extraordinary powers to basically round up into port with zero do process whoever they want, and apparently ship them to this you know, prison in El Salvador, known for human rights abuses and slave labor. They also think that it believes that it lets them have immigration agents enter homes without warrants. So right now you have you know, you have the right to if an ICE agent shows up at your door and they don't have a warrant, you don't have to let them in. And so now they're saying, not only can we pick up whoever we want and you know, round them up, arrest them, deport them, no due process, et cetera, but we can just go into your home. We don't even need a you know, we don't even need a warrant. Obviously, this is a violation many people think of illegal search and seizure constitutional protections. Ryan, what did you make of this interpretation, you know, truly maximalist interpretation that the administration is going with here of what they can do under this Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is clearly the logical extension of their position, Like their position is the Secretary of State's designation about a person is unreviewable. Therefore they can Secretary of State can do whatever he wants, and the security forces at the direction of the Secretary of State can also do whatever they want. That like that like if if it is true that somehow the Constitution forgot to put limits around what the Secretary of State can do to people inside the United States, then yeah, Secretary of State can do anything, and and the and.
Speaker 2: The courts have no jurisdiction.
Speaker 3: Now, the courts that have looked at this claim in the past, including apparently Donald Trump's federal judge sister, have said that no, this is that's an unconstitutionally vague law, like that's that's ridiculous, Like you can't. But the Constitution is very clear. There's no carve out from the Bill of Rights for the Secretary of State because he makes some determination.
Speaker 1: Right where you say the magic words or and it's an invasion, so now I can round up whoever I want.
Speaker 3: Right And also we're not at war, as you would point it out previously, Like being at war doesn't mean like your feelings are hurt by anything. It means that Congress has declared war and Congress has not. So just like right there, but that that feels like you're almost splitting hairs. The broader point is constitutional protections apply to actors of the state, no matter who they are, whether the Secretary of State or somebody else. But if you believe that they don't, then sure they can come into your house, knock your door down, put you in shackles, put you on a plane, and throw you out the window of the plane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and whether you are a citizen non and citizen green guard all the result, because how would we if there's no due process, assertion is unreviewable. According to them, Ryan, real quick, I want you to explain your reporting here before we I want to get Emily away as well. About we're starting to learn some of the details of the people who were disappeared into this El Salvador prison, and one of them is this venezuela professional goaltender. Tell us a little bit about who this person is and what we know about how he even ended up on the radar of ice because he has no criminal record whatsoever, So, you know, seems strange that he would be a target. But then again, the government, in an official filing with the court admitted that quote many of the people that they sent to this, you know, torture Chamber had had no criminal record whatsoever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so first the apologize. Apparently I should have called him goalkeeper, and goaltender is hockey.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, I was actually wondering that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll correct that with apologies. I even played keeper in middle school, so I guess I should have known that.
Speaker 1: My son likes the play goalie. So yeah.
Speaker 3: So in any event, this guy hearsay Reyes Barrio is, he's a Venezuelan, a professional soccer player there. They pulled his criminal record from Venezuela to show that he had absolutely zero criminal record there. In February and March of twenty twenty four, he participated in protests against the Maduro government. This was happening during the presidential election in which Maduro was kicking his main opponent or using his Supreme Court, which was allied with him, to kick his main opponent off the ballot. It kicked off a lot of protests. The United States ramped up sanctions against Venezuela. United States, through USAID and other propaganda networks, pushed Venezuelan citizens to protest against the Maduro regime. Supported the Venezuelan opposition to the fullest extent it could. After having launched several coups attempted coups against the Venezuelan government and so he came out to two of these marches. After one of them, in March of twenty twenty four, he was picked up by Maduro security forces tortured in an undisclosed location using electrocution and suffocation, according to his families. We found one of his family members Spanish Facebook page in Venezuela and also confirmed by an Affidavid that his lawyer filed with the court. In March twenty twenty four. He left fled Venezuela after getting tortured. He made an appointment using the CBP one app which at the time under the Biden administration said if you report to a port of entry then you can make your case for political asylum. September twenty twenty four, so this is under Biden to be clear. He shows up at the port of entry and he says, this is what happened to me, this is who I am. I would like to apply for a political asylum. They see his tattoo and they say that looks like a gang tattoo, and they arrest him basically on the spot. So we got a statement from DHS saying, you know that this guy is in was in the country illegally, which is an interesting way of putting it, because he legally approached CBP. You know, he he had an illegal appointment. He was then arrested, So was he in the country illegally while he was in detention. So they answer that however you want, he's so he's put into maximum security because of this tattoo. His lawyer and this is what and we confirmed this with the family through this through this Facebook post, is he gets a lawyer. The lawyer reaches out to family and is like, I need his venezuela and you know, a criminal record, which they which they they pull and send and they even send him an affidavid from the tattoo artist who who says this this was a crown on top of a soccer ball, because he told me he loves Real Madrid. That's the Real Madrid logo. And this gang trend de Ragua also has a crown in its tattoo that they use. You know, he said he had no idea like so you know, a crown is not the most obscure thing to get on a tattoo. Yeah, and so they also submitted a whole bunch of images of people who are not in the gang gang who also have the tattoo. Now, DHS said they found social media posts that also indicated he was a gang in a gang. One of them, the only one that is public is him going.
Speaker 1: Like this, yeah, I can pull that up actually, and his lawyers.
Speaker 3: Like that's a that's like sign language for I love you. And it's also like dude rock and roll, like let's rock and.
Speaker 1: Roll like so like yeah, so that like this is the gang group.
Speaker 3: Anybody anybody ever done this? Like has anybody ever made that hand gesture? And so it April seventeenth, he is Slash was scheduled to have his like final hearing because this is what you know. So he's been in prison this entire time. When they finally sent him all of this information about the tattoo and his criminal record. In March tenth or eleventh, the ICE moved him out of maximum security. They're like, Okay, well, I guess we don't need to keep him in this hardcore lockup anymore. But then it was March fifteenth that they just swept him up and put him on the plane and shipped him to Al Salvador. April seventeenth, he's supposed to have a hearing where he would make his case.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: September first is when he was picked up by Biden, not picked up. He turned himself in at the border. So how many was that September, October, November, December, January. He's so he's been in six months in detention after you know, going from Venezuela to Mexico and getting torture down there. And so his family saw him in that as m R Social d social media post that yeah, the Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Posted the propaganda.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, where.
Speaker 3: They're shaving the guy's heads and like and this the family is like, whoa, whoa, whoa, that's her. Say what the hell is hers say? What the hell's hers doing? So they reached back out to the lawyer, and the lawyer said, well, he doesn't show up in the ice thing anymore. And after like three days of harassing DHS, DHS finally confirmed to the lawyer, yeah, he was shipped down to l Salvador. I saw Sean Davis, a you know, prominent conservative attorney, saying well, this is actually this is on the attorney for not filing a habeas Sean Sean, Yeah, an attorney.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's just a dude. Never mind.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I won't criticize him though. He was saying if he just said something.
Speaker 1: Stupid non expert saying, there was no chance.
Speaker 3: For the lawyers to do anything here. So he wasn't in the country, and he was in the country, but he was in a detention facility, which is on Biden as well, because it was you know, this is Biden's Ice, which, right, if you think about when this happened to September, this is the height of the presidential campaign, when you know the Haitian stuff is going on, and Trenda Araga they're the ones that were taking over the Colorado.
Speaker 2: Building. Is that that's right? Yeah, So like they were like a big thing, right.
Speaker 3: So Ice was clearly, you know, on the lookout for anybody from Venezuela that they thought might be connected, might.
Speaker 1: Have a tattoo that is remotely I mean the other ones I've seen is like one person. Some of the reporting indiquate caated. Also if you just were from Arragua, which is this Venezuelan state where Trenda Aragua is from that that would be sufficient to you know, put you in the bucket of like, oh, you must be a gang member, whereas at least some of those people are actually fleeing the gang violence that had you know, was in demic to their part of Venezuela. So one of the other tattoos is a rose is supposed to be affiliated. Again, there are many people.
Speaker 3: Have rose tattoos, So that'll be fine, that'll be.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that'll really narrow it down. But why I mean, Emily, this is like we still one news outlet did publish the alleged list of everyone who was deported as part of this, but like obviously we still don't have all the details. But like I said, even the government in this really I mean talk about Orwellian. They tried to argue in court that the fact that these guys didn't have any criminal record made them more dangerous because that meant we knew less about them. That was, they argued. But you know, I mean, according to his family and his lawyers and you know, and him, this guy he actually followed, but he did the thing that he was supposed to, got his CBP one app appointment and showed up at the border and the port of entry where he was supposed to go. He had his appointment, he was until he was, you know, arrested as best he could. He was making his core appointments, et cetera. And I think it just underscores that when you get rid of due process in any instance, it means you're really getting rid of due process for everyone.
Speaker 3: And while you painted, I can reach the DHS statement, Tricia McLaughlin told me, quote, Hairs Rayes Borrows was not only in the United States illegally, but he has tattoos that are consistent with those indicating TDA gang membership. His own social media indicates he is a member of the vicious TDA gang. That all said, DHS intelligence assessments go beyond a single tattoo, and we are confident in our findings unquote.
Speaker 2: So that's the DHS response.
Speaker 4: I don't know how they're claiming he was in the country illegally if he claimed asylum, and from what we know based on the drop site reporting you're reporting, Ryan, is that this was a legitimate asylum claim. This is this asylum claim that a Marco Rubio or Maria Alviro sal Salazar would like this is like the proper use actually of the asylum program going after our enemy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean historically only it's only you know, after Cubans. That Venezuelans are beloved by Republicans, you know, because yes, they're flaring Maduro and so they have historically gotten better treatment by immigration authorities than you know, other migrants.
Speaker 4: So Hairsay's story is the story that I've dreaded throughout the Biden administration because it seemed inevitable to me that when you have a flood of eight million migrants and thousands of those it's a small percentage of the overall total, but thousands of them have criminal records that you're going to have to make broad sweeps and targeting in order to like actually reclaim. And Biden knew, by the way, there was going to be a swing back on immigration policy eventually, and so it was just completely reckless the way that they did this and like do process for example. That was part of the reason that part of the reason that you're detail a guy from Venezuela because he has a crown and a rose tattoo and a social media picture of him like doing the rock and roll symbol is because they brought into asylum process. They brought in the asylum process to the point where you could not mathematically, I mean the amount of work that we would have had to have done to rebuild our ability to hear asylum cases, just like there was basically no way to do it. And so it was screwing a lot of legitimate people, some of them I talked to. The Cuban kit I talked to at the border a couple of years ago, was having a hard time getting in and paid tens of we paid over ten thousand dollars to get here across the border, had to come back like it was just a disaster. And so it just makes me, really I feel like the Biden administration played with people's lives and I for political purposes, and so I don't think it's I think the Trump administration needs to be extremely targeted as it's doing deportations, but I also think it's important to get thousands of criminals who are not just criminals because they cross the border illegally, but because they're violent criminals. I think it's important to get people like that the hell out of the country. So I don't think the Trump administration is in an easy position, but it's it just sucks to see this happen and it's wrong. And I hope the fact that herse is Venezuelan and what Crystal said that is something that Marco Rubio cares a whole lot about. If the aliens in national the Alien and Enemies Act sucks, the application of it absolutely sucks.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 4: I don't disagree with any of that, but hopefully the fact that like legit dissidents are getting caught up in this is a wake up sign.
Speaker 3: And I think that the problem what this shows is that the Trump administration isn't actually serious about what it's doing. Because he was already behind bars. So if they're concern was that he's so dangerous that he's going to be out there, you know, attacking college students, that's not You're good, Like, you've had this guy locked up for six months and he has a appointment on April seventeenth, You could you can keep him in lock up for another month.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think that they should, because I think that he's case, you know, warrants being let out on bond. But whatever, y'all won if you were worried about him committing crimes if you're worried about people committing crimes, you'd find you'd try to find people who are not behind bars already. The ones that are behind bars exactly what they want is numbers and then want warm bodies flown out of the country and they don't care.
Speaker 1: And shocking images and shocking images. Yeah, that's that's exactly right, because there's also a there's a piece here of wanting to scare people, and there's a piece here of wanting to appease a base that was sold mass deportation and also was sold I mean, you know that a larger number of these migrants or criminals than actually are you know, they were sold that that Trump's Oh they're emptying out their asylums and sending the worst of the world. And so when you actually are dealing in reality and the number of immigrants who you know actually have criminal records is much much, much much smaller as a percentage than what has been portrayed to the public, then you've set up a sort of impossible situation. So you have to rely on these like horrific fascists, in my opinion, stunts like the Guantanamo Bay thing, like the use of military planes even though they're insanely more expensive. And now this is the most aggressive, most egregious stunt, and it is both a stunt and it is also extremely not just dangerous, but damaging in the same way that you know, extraordinary rendition under the War on Terror and torturing people at Guantanamo Bay, and all of those things were dangerous and damaging, not just to the people that it happened to, but to everybody. Because look, if you don't have due process, what is to stop them from taking literally anyone and saying they were a bad person, they were a gang member, they were here illegally, Who are they? What's the stro We don't know, we'll never tell you. They're now disappeared into this prison. And that's why it really is an infringement on all of our rights, not just on the you know, official batties that people would want to see removed from the country.
Speaker 3: And actually Trump is now let me see if I can pull this up. You know, threatening producer Mac just sent.
Speaker 4: This saying that it's threatening producer Mac threatening by proxy.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, I love the threatened producer Mac. Let me let me, let me make sure my d ms are closed.
Speaker 4: Let me just say, yeah, let me just say also where you're pulling that up r and that the thing that does what a thing that does concern me so far? Is that the To answer Crystal's question, I think one of the things that stops them on due process so far is our citizenship. But we don't know what they know about the people who were deported citizens, Like we actually don't have information about how sure they were that they weren't rounding up actual citizens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I said significant. Yeah, I mean I said before I suspect these are all undocumented immigrants, but we don't actually know that. And Ice has been known, I mean, we've got numerous reports just recently. But this is the case over many administrations. They've gotten it wrong. Many times. They've detained, arrested, et cetera, people who were citizens just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time they looked like they might be undocumented. You know, they were at a work, a place of business where they thought this would you know, be somebody who was undocumented, et cetera. So, yeah, Ice gets it wrong and screws up all the time. And again, we have no way of actually without due process. You don't even have a way of knowing that these people that none of them were US citizens. You don't even have a way of knowing that these are actually even all undocumented immigrants, let alone gang members, let alone criminals, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they haven't right of the information sufficiently.
Speaker 1: No, and the Ryan did you did you you pulled up the Trump thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said, Uh, I look forward to watching the sick terrorist thugs get twenty year jail sentences for what they are doing to Elon Musk and Tesla. Perhaps they could serve them in the prisons of l Salvador, which have become so recently famous for such lovely conditions.
Speaker 1: So now we're talking about US citizens potentially who dare to vandalize the Tesla or Tesla charger or Tesla dealership or whatever, who now you know, are being threatened by the president with being also disappeared into this foreign gulag. So yeah, yeah, when these things are on the table, it doesn't stay with the you know, with the official batties that people are you know, are primed to hate and want to see the maximum amount of retribution aim towards Jack.
Speaker 4: Suppose that was January sixth, by the way, Yeah, you you write f tesla on a cyber truck at a dealership or a showroom, and that's domestic terrorism. This is one of the things that they're right was arguing in I think persuasively and Ryan, I know some of like you're at the time writers at the intercept, we're doing great work on this. I think that's a wildly inappropriate expansion of domestic terrorism, like in the ways that we're absolutely encroaching on people's civil liberties. And there were court cases about all of this.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's so like, yeah, you can you can you know, violently attack the capital and that's not domestic terrorism. But if you you know, you put a swastika on a tesla, and that's another another matter.
Speaker 4: Or you can just be in the proximity. I mean, this happened to some people. You can be in the proximity of what became a violent riot at the capitol and you can be you know, back on the lawn and end up having your house rated whatever. Like there were crazy cases where the Biden FBI was weaponizing the domestic terrorism thing and this is this isn't the capital, this is f tesla and like weird Antifa mouth breathers trying to start fires at Tesla showrooms.
Speaker 1: So yeah, one last update on this particular story is to keep us all up to date with you know, there's a possibility the administration is held in contempt of court here because the judge is increasingly pissed off. The New York Times says administration's details on deportation flights quote woefully insufficient. According to this Judge Bosberg, in an angry order, he told the Trump administration explain why he should not find that officials had violated his instructions for the flights to return to the United States. And this is this whole you know, flap over. Judge says from the bench, you have to you have to turn even if you have to turn the planes around, like you cannot deport these people. The planes, two of which were already in the air, are not turned around, one of which was on the ground. Administration is claiming the one on the ground, the deportees there were pursuant to some other immigration authority, not the Alien Enemies Act. We don't really know if that's the case, but that's what they're claiming. They're also claiming that because it was a verbal order not a written order that it like really didn't count. And then they've completely stonewalled on just even the basic details of these flights, even though like the flight tracker info is public. We know exactly when they took off, where were they at these different times when the judge issued the initial ruling from the bench, when he issued the you know, written ruling ultimately, so they're they're stonewalling on sort of giving any information, and we're considering invoking state secrets doctrine to keep this information confidential, even though they'd never even indicated that any of this was classified. And they were also out there, like you know, publishing videos and celebrating videos with a lot of the details of what happened here. So that's kind of where we are. And you know, this is the highest profile instance of Trump administration, you know, defiance and testing of the court system and fits a broader pattern. And you know, obviously they're calling for this guy to be impeached and all of that sort of stuff too.
Speaker 4: Well. And one interesting thing here is they and this is sort of me a full circle with what we were talking about with Elon at the very beginning, and how the there's almost like some you can detect perhaps a modicum of shame in the Pentagon pushing back on this idea that Elon was just getting this special China briefing. There's there's almost a little bit of that when you see that Trump is still claiming they didn't defy the judge's orders because of the verbal versus written distinction, and there's legally like there's it's not an entirely illegitimate case. But I don't know, Ryan, I think I do find it also interesting that Trump goes on Laura Angram this week and says we won't defy the judges orders, and the administration is still insisting that they didn't fly out the order, but that they had the right to do that what they did versus based on the verbal versus written thing. I don't know if that reminds you of the Elon stuff, but that's sort of where it takes me.
Speaker 1: To let me go ahead. And as a last thing here, why don't we pull up the some of the sound from the rallies last night at with AOC and Bernie and you know, they sort of joined forces and did a series of rallies out west in Vegas and one maybe in Arizona. I don't know, Ryan, maybe you know all the details of where the rallies were, but you know, quite a lot of energy on the ground. And I think AOC really kind of finding her voice here on the Fight Oligarchy tour. You just go ahead and play a little bit of what she had to say here so we can take a listen to her speech.
Speaker 7: You know Fox News and the right wing, Well, have you believe that these American values are something out of the Communist manifesto, that we believe these things because we went to college and read them in a book somewhere. Well, let me tell you, Fox News, I don't believe these things. I don't believe in healthcare, labor, and human dignity because I'm a Marxist. I believe it because I was a waitress, I screwed up toilets with my mom to go to school, because I've worked double shifts to keep the lights on, and because on my worst day, I know what it feels like to feel left behind.
Speaker 1: And Ryan, what did you think of a AOC's performance here and sort of the role that she's occupying. I mean, there's a lot of talk about like, oh, who's Bernie Sanders gonna sort of put his hands on is this is the next Bernie and this is who he's leaving his legacy to. I mean, it seems pretty clear that person is AOC, right yeah, and if she.
Speaker 3: It's the mantle's there for her to take it if she wants. And you heard her there leaning you know, much more into the class argument than she has, you know, recently, and the you know, the advantage that she has is that the right kind of loves to make fun of her for being a waitress.
Speaker 1: Alena Haba just did that recently, I think, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hey, they fall into that trap constantly, so they are constantly reinforcing her own message for her by being class knobs themselves.
Speaker 2: So you know, she has it.
Speaker 3: She has an opportunity to do that if if she cannot get too tangled up and some of the Democrats less popular cultural stuff.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Emily, Well, I think we should get the man who wrote the book The squad.
Speaker 1: On sometimes to talk about and we should to dig into it.
Speaker 4: But no, this is also really powerful right now for Democrats. It's a it's a huge gift for Democrats that the populist Trump administration is stocked with billionaires that are not you know, Trump is singular in the respect that he can get away with the sort of blue collar billionaire thing for whatever reason. We could get into that. But Elon Musk cannot. How are lutin It cannot. Scott Besant cannot, They don't. They're not the same.
Speaker 1: And Besen is a mere five hundred millionaire. Emily Way don't want you to.
Speaker 4: You know, truly like he's surrounding himself with plutocrats and some of whom many of whom are actual billionaires. And so it's a different this is a different version of Trump populism, and that's very obvious. And so as Democrats look to rebuild, they have this incredible gift right in front of them that the Alyssa slotkins uh and Gavin Newsom's of the world are not probably not going to be able to capitalize on. So it's kind of an odd way a huge moment for the populist left because they're the best positioned to help Democrats regain power in this moment where the Trump administration is what was I mean bringing working class voters into the Republican Party at a pretty steady clip in ways that Democrats never envisioned Trump would be able to do or that Republicans would be able to do, and so here you have an opportunity to capitalize on that, and the culture stuff was going to get interesting. The sort of dance as to how Democrats handle that and how AOC and Bernie handled that going forward will be interesting. But it's a gift. This is a real moment for Democrats and it's you know, does Chuck Schumer allow the IOCs that like, maybe he won't have a choice if they keep doing rallies like this.
Speaker 1: I mean, you had I think, what was a Michael Bennett that came out yesterday and was like Schumer needs to go. I mean, you've got some like like real centrists who were like, we're done with this. And it's emblematic of the fact that the liberal base revolt. It's really not ideological. They want to see people fight, and the people by and large who are fighting right now are the populace left. I mean, Bernie and AOC really are kind of leading the charge here and charting the path forward. You know, Bernie starts this tour and now you've got a bunch of other Democrats who are sort of following saying, yes, this is a good idea, let's go out and do these town halls. Tim Walls is making a lot of noise out there too, and I think, you know, establishing himself as a potential player for twenty twenty eight as well. And so they really have charted the And you do have because of the nature of Elon and Zuckerberg and Bezos and Lutnik and all the cast of characters of the you know, the billionaire oligarchs that are circling the Trump administration and running the Trump administration, you do also have this organic like class reaction against that. I don't know if I'm sure you guys probably saw the town hall, some Republican town hall, Mike Flood maybe that's his name. I don't remember. Anyway, the people who were there, the you know who were there to confront him, they start organically chanting tax the rich. So even though there isn't a lot of ideology in the sort of like liberal based fight, because they're being polarized against Elon, there is a class to mention that is organically developing that is different than the resistance that you saw against Trump that was about like Russia and these other things back in the twenty seventeen twenty eighteen era of this. And then also what's different is the fact that they're disgusted with Democratic leadership, and they're disgusted with people like Gavinusom, who is there saying like, let's you have Charlie kirk On and hang out with him and Steve Bannon and they're really interesting and I'm so impressed with them, etc. You know, there is a real like disgust with that approach that was not there in the past. This is the first time that Democrats have said, no, you need to come up the works. You need to I'm talking about the base. You need to not work with Trump or the Republicans at all. Even though it felt like there was a very strong resistance last time, actually polling wise, you still had a super majority of Democrats who were like, try to work with the Republicans to get things done. And so it is a very different energy here. And I'll tell you I was an AOC. I was an AOC skeptic of her being able to, you know, really hold her own on a national stage because of all the way that she leaned into, you know, the language and the identity politics and whatever. But I'm becoming more of a believer the more that I see her out there and the more that she is meeting this moment and this speech Ryan to me was a real case in point, Like she she really kind of nailed it in terms of the language that approach, the argument that she made, and the way she positioned herself in that narrative as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, more of that. I think there's nobody else really. I'm sure that you know, Rocanna would love to pick up that man, and I'm sure Privilege I Paul would love to pick up that mantle for various reasons. You know, you know, she has the pole position there. You know, she she's suffered. You know, it's you know, a blow on the left over the last you know, several years. But I don't I don't think she I don't think it means she couldn't recover the position, and particularly if she's consistently out there with Bernie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that's right. And if she's just consistently out there, I mean that thing too, is she like she understands you know, she and Bernie did an interview with us on Piker yesterday before their events. She's constantly on Instagram lives and on Twitter, and isn't afraid of controversy, isn't afraid of Republicans coming after her because she's been through that fire at this point a million times. And you know, I think under like understanding the actual media landscape is a very rare quality within the Democratic Party Emily at this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred percent. And again, like most of the energy right now that can be capitalized on, it's not going to be capitalized on by Alyssa Slotkin and Gavin Newsom. It's so abundantly clear. And the only thing I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Say, it's not abundantly clear to them apparently, but to everybody else that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But this is where, this is where the Trump example is relevant, and that Trump gave Republicans no choice. He left them with no choice. He was so popular in the twenty fifteen twenty sixteen primary that they had zero choice but to end up going along with him. And then when they tried to thwart him, they still ended up having to go along with Trump. They couldn't run to Santus. He just steam rolls it. And that's you know, I'm not saying there's any like direct parallel. But in terms of populism, that's what Bernie and AOC have to do. For Democrats. They have to give them no choice but to side with populace. And it does it mean that they won't be thwarted by the truck Shoomers and whomever if they ascend to power. But they have to show that that is what the voters want. And so the rallies are in the tour and going on Hassan with the kind of setup of the rally behind you very Trumpian. It sends the message that this is your option. It is not going to be abundance, it is going to be populism.
Speaker 1: How dare you mentioned that word? That could pick off another three hour conversation.
Speaker 4: We had.
Speaker 1: We had Derek on well, you guys interviewed Azra, right, you actually should get Azra back. You guys should do a thing with him. I mean I talked to to Derek. I think you guys had have a great conversation with Azra that could be really interesting. In any case, anything else, guys, before we before we.
Speaker 3: Wrap it up here, you n just announced that Gaza has six days of flower left, which ye that that means that in a lot of places there's zero left. Yeah, people living on just nothing but bread like that. Even that's going to be gone soon. So that's it's bleak, very.
Speaker 1: Bleak, extremely bleak, Emily, anything else on your on your radar? So to speak?
Speaker 2: Did you see their Rising doesn't do radars anymore?
Speaker 1: Do they not?
Speaker 2: Memos?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: I think I think it was memo?
Speaker 3: Is that right, Emily?
Speaker 4: I forget, but you're right.
Speaker 2: It was different notebook or something. Anyway, it was, Yeah, it was something like that.
Speaker 4: But it's basically a radar.
Speaker 2: You know, give up on radars, come on.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Yeah, I don't remember how, but yeah I did. And Rising was my name too. Really, Yeah, it's a great name. It's a really good name. Like it's a fantastic morning show name. I have to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad they're sticking with the Rising name.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It was always weird, very weird. Now it's I mean, this was so long ago at this point that we were doing Rising. We would doing breaking points far longer than we ever did Rising. But it was weird at first to see other people be like, what's on your radars? Like that's our lot. What are you doing? So I'm fine to see them move on to their own terminology and you know, do their own thing. That's perfectly fine.
Speaker 2: At this point you can start doing radars again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true, I guess.
Speaker 4: So what's on your radar today? That's kind of like that would be we'd like twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of memories associated with that moment. That was back when I thought, you know, Bernie might actually win. So there's a lot of pain, a lot of pain involved in that period. All right, guys, fun as always. Great to talk to you both. Hope you have a great weekend. I'm gonna be off next week because my kids have spring break and so Ryan is going to be in for me. Enjoy Ryan. I'm gonna have a hard time. I'm not going to separate from the news. I already know. I just can't. Like I feel like if you miss a week of news, you're gonna have no idea what's going on. You're gonna miss like eighty five really important consequential things. So anyway, I'll be Yeah.
Speaker 4: I expect the dm UH, the dm stream to be fairly study.
Speaker 1: It will be it will be, and I'm my plan is all just in lieu of doing the show. I'll just like do more tiktoks as kind of what I'm thinking to do. So in any case, Ryan, thank you for filling in. Ellen. Great to see you. Have a great weekend guys, and I will see you upon return.
Speaker 2: That good