Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: January twentieth, two thousand and nine, Live from New York City and Washington, DC. It's The Daily Show with John Stewart's inauguration special Change Fest oh nine, Rebirth.
Speaker 3: Of a Nation, A night of history and balls.
Speaker 4: What a day, the inauguration of the forty fourth president of these United States, Barack Obama?
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 6: Or you didn't.
Speaker 4: Shy you guys, You really didn't know what was today? A long of you people have been waiting in line in Washington, d C.
Speaker 6: The inaugural drew.
Speaker 4: My god, it must be one or two thousand people to the mall. But for Barack Obama, the day began as it does for so many millions of Americans, with the awkward coworker car pool.
Speaker 7: Boy.
Speaker 4: That's a sound Bush probably doesn't hear too often. When he probably turned to Obama, what kind of.
Speaker 6: Booze are these.
Speaker 3: Happy booze?
Speaker 4: Better get in the car, be where they start throwing victory shoes. Actually in the car, Bush gave his last piece of presidential advice, which I believe was, you know those movies National Treasure, It's all true.
Speaker 1: Your gold is.
Speaker 6: Under your bed.
Speaker 4: Then it was off to the legislative red carpet, a veritable who's who.
Speaker 6: Who's that?
Speaker 4: Statesman, congress people, senators, world leaders, and of course two in yeah, the Bush daughters are fraternal twins. The first Lady, Michelle Obama looked absolutely gorgeous, the beau suggesting she is, in fact a gift for the American people. First Lady of Solaretha Franklin, took that idea to another less fortunate level, and of course, in a blatant attempt to top them, Maya angelou.
Speaker 1: Auh my Ma bo sings of the Triumph and Freedom.
Speaker 4: Not a big poetry fan anyway. Of course the ex presidents were there as well. There's Jimmy and Roslin Carter, always up for an open bar party, George H. W. Bush resplendent in what appears to be a yellow Dicky and purple ascot as, always dressed as the old's most foppish Vikings fan.
Speaker 6: And of course the Clintons.
Speaker 4: Came and uh, I'm sorry, are you on the list?
Speaker 6: Are you?
Speaker 4: It's c l I and t oh okay, boy, that's embarrassing. There's one other major figure. We'd be remiss if we didn't mention over the years, we've made our share of jives ad Vice President Dick Cheney's expense, painting him as some type of evil caricature, a Blofeldian super villain, someone out of Doctor Strangelove. But of course he's not that. He's more complex than that. He's a human being who is not evil.
Speaker 6: Oh are you kidding me? A wheelchair?
Speaker 4: I know you hurt your back, but you might as well get rolled out to Star Wars Imperial.
Speaker 7: March with a white cat in your lap.
Speaker 4: For God's sakes, a wheel chair, I might as well just get drawn with black and white ink.
Speaker 6: That's what happens.
Speaker 4: You hurt your back when you try to move those man sized safes by yourself. Now, I realize that humanity has a general moratorium on poking fun at people in wheelchairs, But of course today is a day for making history, and as so many other barriers have fallen, folks, m i'd like you to watch this wheelchair inspired comedy as President Bush and Dick Cheney enter the inauguration festivties and keep an eye.
Speaker 6: Out for it.
Speaker 8: Z what the I thought?
Speaker 6: I was?
Speaker 9: Hey, what the where am I going?
Speaker 6: Why are you taking me?
Speaker 4: Why do I always have to go to the undisclosed location, and then it was time for the benediction. The choice of Rick Warren was controversial because of views the many considered to be anti gay. So I assume the pastor of the not at all gay sounding Saddleback Church will bring a much needed, butch sensibility to these proceedings.
Speaker 10: We now commit our new president and his wife, Michelle, and his daughters Malia and Sasha into your loving care.
Speaker 6: Aliah, dude, is that.
Speaker 3: You're the anti gay marriage guy?
Speaker 6: And it sounds like you're.
Speaker 4: Quoting from all that jazz Meliah near did he pronounce Obama's daughter's names like he thinks they're delicious? But no minor controversy is going to call the enthusiasm of this crowd for this the most highly anticipated inaugural address of our lifetimes.
Speaker 11: Our nation is at war against a far reaching network and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened. Homes have been lost, jobs shed business is shutter, Our healthcare is too costly, our schools fail too many. The ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.
Speaker 4: And then things got a little awkward.
Speaker 11: Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and begin again the work of remaking America. We gather because we have chosen hope over fee, unity of purpose, over conflict and discord. But our time of standing pat of protecting narrow winters and putting off unpleasant decisions, that time has surely passed.
Speaker 12: Barack's right beyond, there's the sad part.
Speaker 4: You know what Bush is probably thinking during that moment. Man, this guy's really sticking it to Clinton.
Speaker 13: It's is awkward.
Speaker 4: So the big speech was finally over, and Barack Obama called for a new American era of responsibility. But one problem still remained. How do you clear two point five million people off the Washington Mall? Now, I'm sure there's a button on Cheney's wheelchair that could accomplish that, but Barack Obama wanted a new approach.
Speaker 8: I have the distinct pleasure of introducing an American poet, Elizabeth Alexander.
Speaker 14: I know there's something better down the road. We need to find a place where we are safe. We walk into that which we cannot yet see.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not a laureate by any means, but uh, isn't this stuff supposed to rhyme? Can anybody help her out. And you know it's also been about twenty minutes since we've had a prayer. Anyone who could kill two birds with one stone. You the most adorable civil rights legend I've ever seen.
Speaker 6: You try it.
Speaker 15: You ask you to help us right for that day when black will not be asked to get back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the.
Speaker 16: Red man can get ahead man, When when hold on, hold on, When blue will be allowed into.
Speaker 4: When pews, when we sent loose, when we rise above the minutia of Fusia.
Speaker 6: An orange screw orange.
Speaker 4: White House Bureau Chief Jason Jones was in Washington Jason o' father's speech.
Speaker 12: O'father's speech today.
Speaker 6: Don the speech.
Speaker 9: The speech was incredible, typical Obama inspiring rhetoric.
Speaker 11: This is the source of our confidence, the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny.
Speaker 9: Mixed with square joh determination for those who seek.
Speaker 11: To advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocence. You cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 9: It's what this country desperately needs at this time.
Speaker 6: You know, I.
Speaker 4: Have to say, Jason, our nation's relationship to the Almighty messsage for our enemies.
Speaker 1: Isn't that Bush?
Speaker 6: Oooh?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 17: No?
Speaker 5: Not following here?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 9: This president had a new message for a new day.
Speaker 11: We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense.
Speaker 9: There you go, pride to country, straight from the tap, all right, a real self esteem booster.
Speaker 4: But if I may, we will not apologize for a way of life, nor will we weaver in its defense.
Speaker 11: Quote joh John John, the cowboy days are over?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 17: God?
Speaker 18: When I even hear that, it just makes me want to take off my.
Speaker 6: Shoe and just jam it down.
Speaker 16: Your right.
Speaker 4: But those those aren't Bush's words. That was me reading the Obama quote you just played for me. I just did it in Bush's voice. It's it's the same rhetoric. You're the same rhetoric. But watch this.
Speaker 19: Eat them is a universal gift of Almighty God.
Speaker 11: The god given promise that all are equal, all are free.
Speaker 20: We will work with our friends and allies across the world to defend our way of life.
Speaker 11: We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense.
Speaker 19: We can usher in a new era of enhanced prosperity and peace.
Speaker 11: America must play its role in US ring in a new era of peace?
Speaker 10: Did our generation advance the cause of freedom?
Speaker 11: We carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely the future generations?
Speaker 6: Why are you doing this?
Speaker 18: Pipe?
Speaker 6: I don't know what am I supposed to do? All I know it's OK.
Speaker 21: Day one.
Speaker 6: We know I don't like it either.
Speaker 1: I know I don't like doing this either.
Speaker 9: It's like, why is cheese delicious on Italian food?
Speaker 4: But when you're melted on Chinese food it's disgusting.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I guess, Alsie, John, I guess when Op Obama says this stuff, I don't think he really means it.
Speaker 6: And that gives me hope.
Speaker 11: Can I go back to the party now?
Speaker 1: Yes, you can.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Jason Jones from the Washington Mall. Jason was down there all day in the freezing gulch. Now, this inaugural is hard to compare to any in our lifetimes.
Speaker 6: Here now, reporting live.
Speaker 4: From the Youth Inaugural Ball at the Washington Hilton is our own Wyatt Sanach. Hello, Wyatt, are you on?
Speaker 6: Can we hear you? John?
Speaker 5: I'm here and the excitement is palpable. Look, this is not a backdrop.
Speaker 6: This is real.
Speaker 5: It's incredible, President Barack Obama. This is something my grandparents thought they would never live to see.
Speaker 4: It's gotta be a sentiment tonight shared by many black families, Wyatt.
Speaker 15: Black families.
Speaker 5: Now I'm talking about cool families. Finally America has a cool president.
Speaker 6: Look. Check this out.
Speaker 5: This is a president dancing to Stevie Wonder two hours ago. I want to make fun of I really do, but I can't. He's too good and I'm black.
Speaker 18: Why.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he's a good dancer, he's cool, but that's not really the story here.
Speaker 5: Maybe not to you, because you're not cool, Wyatt.
Speaker 16: I am cool.
Speaker 5: No, you're not cool.
Speaker 6: You're you're all right? What's eye?
Speaker 5: Well, you're not cool, But you don't have to leave the party because you got like a hot sister or a car or something. But this this is crazy cool. Kanye West performed, and there was some other guy who was here. He's so cool. I've never even heard of him. At Bush's inaugural four years ago, you know who performed the Blowfish?
Speaker 6: The Blowfish John.
Speaker 5: They couldn't even get POODI.
Speaker 1: Fine, Obama's cool.
Speaker 4: How is that groundbreaking?
Speaker 6: Cool people?
Speaker 4: By definition? I've always had it easier right in high school.
Speaker 5: But they and everyone graduates and all the nerds go into politics, and then they stick it to the cool.
Speaker 6: Guys by outlawing pot.
Speaker 5: Today, that shameful chapter in our nation's history is finally over.
Speaker 16: Thank you very much, Wyat.
Speaker 6: No problem, what? No problem? Hey? Hey John? John? Quick question for you. Do you got any pot? No?
Speaker 4: I don't have any pot.
Speaker 6: Uh, that's that's too bad.
Speaker 5: Barbara Boxer had some Portuguese red hair with resin that was like super gloom.
Speaker 6: She is so cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Wyat.
Speaker 4: Also in Washington tonight, senior White House correspondent Samantha Beek she joined us from the party. Sam your thoughts on this historic night, Well.
Speaker 22: John, I was struck by Obama's message of responsibility and maturity, moved by his quote from scripture, it's time to put away childish things.
Speaker 4: I see, and tonight as you go around as that message being disseminated throughout the inaugural balls.
Speaker 22: Well John, I attended the Commander in Chief's ball and the Democratic ball. Now these two balls taken together, John, What I was struck by at these galas these.
Speaker 23: Parties, was joy tempered.
Speaker 22: With the knowledge.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sorry, Sam, so while you were working the balls, you were struck with something.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 22: I was in at the dances, really, John, Okay. As I conversed with the people at the events, there was a cautious optimism about the new direction.
Speaker 6: Did you say nude erection? All right?
Speaker 22: But John, this isn't my first inauguration. Okay, I've seen a lot of Washington balls.
Speaker 4: Nobody's questioned how many Washington balls?
Speaker 6: Start? This juvenile crap is over.
Speaker 22: We have had eight years of frat boy culture in Washington and it is done.
Speaker 6: Grow up.
Speaker 22: Okay, no more.
Speaker 6: Bush, h No, no Bush.
Speaker 22: It is time for us to be responsible.
Speaker 16: Members remembers.
Speaker 11: Duty.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm sorry, You're right. I apologize. That's that wasn't right.
Speaker 24: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: It's a new era, it's a new president, new challenges.
Speaker 1: It's my bad.
Speaker 22: People were inspired today, jud people like Aretha Franklin. I mean, did you even listen to her today?
Speaker 6: Joe? Actually?
Speaker 1: I did hear it.
Speaker 4: It was amazing, Chuck, can.
Speaker 6: We roll that tap ah come.
Speaker 1: The song?
Speaker 11: I was good?
Speaker 6: I work with children.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you Sam Samanth to be everybody.
Speaker 1: We'll do that back.
Speaker 3: January Monday, first two thirteen, Comedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York. This is the Daily Show with John.
Speaker 21: Stuart to the main event, the first Lady and those new banks.
Speaker 6: Yes, that was.
Speaker 4: It's a new haircut, and it is difficult to pull off something fun and flirty yet age appropriate.
Speaker 6: And she does it.
Speaker 4: She doesn't, so I'm not diminishing the significance. So the point is this first husband, Barack Obama, also had his public oath administered today by Chief Justice Roberts. Remember last inauguration and the two famously fumbled the task.
Speaker 17: That I will execute the office of President to the United States faithfully. Then I will execute the faithfully the President officer president of the President.
Speaker 11: Of the United States, faithfully, well.
Speaker 6: Courteous, kind, and forgiving.
Speaker 4: The President was nervous then, is understandable was his first inauguration. Let's watch them do it again this time and just for Schnick's while you're watching, imagine your Mitt Romney that I will faithfully execute that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United.
Speaker 11: States, the office of President of the United States.
Speaker 17: And will to the best of my ability.
Speaker 4: But you know Romney's watching, and I guarantee you it's one of the first times that devout Mormon has ever used the phrase oh for sake. Of course, mister Romney was not in attendance, but not to fear. There were stars of plenty. Who better to spot them than Good Morning America contractual hostage George Stephanopolis.
Speaker 25: And look at that crowd gathered. Now it was Morgan Freeman, I think lately on the Capitol steps Bill Russell. I'm sorry, thank you, David Rodney.
Speaker 4: Now in George Stepanopolis's defense, all tall people look alike to him.
Speaker 6: I see great chins. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Still, for the rest of the morning, Stephnopolis did a very good job right here. Of course, we got Venus and Serena Williams coming after him. Only there there's Danny Glover, sorry, the lease eleven pounds. Oh, the dazzling Miss halle Berry looking fine, and.
Speaker 18: There's hook that.
Speaker 4: There's General Colin Pounder's girlfriend motown great Diana Ross. And here's a treat NBA Hall of Famer Bill Russell. Oh, the crowd loves him. And then it was time for the main event. The president's second inaugural address, and justice feared. The President came out as a liberal.
Speaker 11: We will respond to the threat of climate change. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law, Medicare and medicaid, social security. They do not make us a nation of takers. They free us to take the risks that make this country great.
Speaker 4: And one last thing, I want to make this clear. My healthcare plan is designed to kill your white grandparents.
Speaker 6: Kill him dead.
Speaker 16: Yep, thank you.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 4: Of course, that full team coverage of today's storic events. We're going to start with analysis from Jessica Williams down at the Capitol. Jessica, what did you think of this week?
Speaker 26: OMG, John, I loved it. Okay, it was fresh, it was new, it was unexpected yet very classy.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 26: I thought the speech really helped frame the President's agenda and an interesting and I think sexy is probably not the right word, but I'm gonna say it anyway.
Speaker 6: I'm assuming sexy.
Speaker 1: Way I get it.
Speaker 4: I'm assuming you're referring to your new bank, Jean.
Speaker 26: I'm not, but I what.
Speaker 6: Oh you mean? My boo boo boo boo bangs.
Speaker 4: Yes, John, it's a great new look. It's clear the First Lady has inspired.
Speaker 26: No, John, the first Lady. I've been sporting this for ages.
Speaker 6: I sort of We're.
Speaker 4: Gonna go out to al Madrigal. Al Madrigal's at the White House. He is gonna help us.
Speaker 19: John with many of Obama's closest advisors set to Lee.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm just gonna interrupt you here. Yes, John, I think we're all slightly distracted by.
Speaker 27: Uh by my banks.
Speaker 4: Yes, your bangs, you don't like them?
Speaker 6: No, I just be honest. I mean, if you're not honestly, we have nothing.
Speaker 4: All right, all honestly, it's it's not my favorite look for you.
Speaker 6: So no, I'm fat. No, I didn't say that. Let's go out to Jason Jones.
Speaker 4: Jason is covering things from the conservative side on the.
Speaker 9: Jason, thank you.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 9: The clear loser today American values. I think that the America that I grew.
Speaker 1: Up Jason, you're Canadian.
Speaker 9: Let me finish that I grew up above that America is gone. I don't care for this new bob ba ba banged America. Men can marry men, single women can get health insurance on pre existing conditions.
Speaker 6: What's next?
Speaker 9: Pulgamy in dreadlocks?
Speaker 6: Come on, where does it end?
Speaker 4: So you're representing that viewpoint with rue mcclanahan's Look what.
Speaker 6: This is, Nancy Reagan?
Speaker 9: Do not have known that McClanahan wore floral prints?
Speaker 6: Okay, I have to break in here, yes, Al Madrigal.
Speaker 18: Yeah, this is just a straight up attack on a beautiful woman and one of her my dear, very dear friends, Michelle Obama.
Speaker 6: And you know what, I will not stand for it.
Speaker 9: It's hey, Madrigal, campaign emails, isn't friendship pal?
Speaker 11: Show up?
Speaker 6: Nancy?
Speaker 4: All right, it's not just campaign emails.
Speaker 18: And we talk all the time on the phone Facebook. We've been closer three years after meeting on Twitter.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Al, have you actually met the first lady in person?
Speaker 18: Not in person, but we were supposed to meet and she's so busy.
Speaker 4: Al, I think you've been had by Hawaiian uber prankster Naya to Yasa Sopo. But no, I'm so sorry, Al's I got two Yasa soaphone.
Speaker 9: Wow, somebody looks like an idiot.
Speaker 4: Thanks, guys, we'll be right back.
Speaker 6: I'll just it's finally happened.
Speaker 18: It took eleven long weeks, but it's finally here. I punched my tenth Subway sandwich card at Subway.
Speaker 6: Yes, free sub for t No tomorrow, No, no, I'm just joking.
Speaker 18: They obviously won't be at tomorrow because today this happened.
Speaker 7: Preserve, Protect, and defend, Preserve, Protect, and defend.
Speaker 17: The Constitution of the United States.
Speaker 7: The Constitution of the United States.
Speaker 4: So help me, God, So help me God.
Speaker 17: Congratulations mister President.
Speaker 18: No matter how many times you watch that, I don't think you'll ever get.
Speaker 6: Used to it.
Speaker 18: It's like seeing your dad's dick. Like I knew it was going to be there, but it's still upsetting. One of the main things Donald Trump has promised is that he will drain the swamp. He said he will drain the swamp that is Washington, and when you look at his inauguration crowd compared to President Obama's, you can see Trump kept that promise. On day one, Washington is drained. Mission accomplished.
Speaker 6: Trump.
Speaker 18: If you did miss the inauguration, or if you want to suffer one more time, let's do a quick recap. So basically, it starts just before noon Eastern time, and here we see President elect Donald Trump approaching the dais as hell fire spontaneously bursts from earth below, followed by members of Congress performing the traditional will of their submission to the new overlord as the peaceful transition of power.
Speaker 6: I'm just joking.
Speaker 18: I'm joking, guys, of course I'm joking. I mean it was much worse than that. Here's the thing, historically, and not just in America, most functioning presidents generally try to make their inauguration speech one of unity and positive vision.
Speaker 6: And you would hope the forty.
Speaker 18: Fifth president would have brought some of that. But it turns out hope was the exact wrong thing to have.
Speaker 7: America's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair and decay. One by one. The factory shuddered and left our shores, mothers and children trapped in poverty, rusted out factories scattered like tombstones across the landscape. And the crime and the gangs and the.
Speaker 28: Drugs, we all bleed the same red blood, the ravages destroying, ripped, robbed our country. This American carnage stops right here and stops right now.
Speaker 18: Did anybody have carnage, blood and decay on their inauguration speech, bingle card.
Speaker 6: Did anybody have that? Yeah?
Speaker 18: Yeah, is that the first five minutes of a presidency or a Terminator movie?
Speaker 6: What the hell is that?
Speaker 24: Blood and decay the bones?
Speaker 18: You know, no matter how we feel about today, at least we know how Trump will remembers.
Speaker 7: January twentieth, two thousand and seventeen will be remembered as the day the people became the rulers of this nation again.
Speaker 18: Well, actually, I have a feeling January twentieth, twenty seventeen will be the daytime travelers go back to to try.
Speaker 6: And save the future. That's what I think we'll.
Speaker 15: Remember it as.
Speaker 6: In fact, in fact, around.
Speaker 18: Eleven thirty today, part of me was expecting Marty McFly to show up.
Speaker 6: Like Doc, I'm so glad you're here. We got to stop him for the last time.
Speaker 5: I'm not Doc, I'm Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 6: Why does this pep happening to me?
Speaker 18: But for many people, the truth is today's speech didn't matter. What really did and what really hit home was once the ceremony was over and the Trumps were escorting the Obamas to their helicopter one final time, and they flew off into the sky, directly at Leicester Halts. Look at Lester, He's like, are they coming for me?
Speaker 6: What's happened?
Speaker 18: Someone's like Obama was flying, I'm leaving and I'm taking all the black people with me.
Speaker 6: Come on, Lester, come on.
Speaker 18: While the Obamas took to the sky, the Bidens took to the rails.
Speaker 6: Yes, look at that. I love that.
Speaker 18: Joe Biden is just holding one suitcase like he's been living out of a single bag.
Speaker 6: These past eight years.
Speaker 18: Of everything that happened, though, for me, the person who most captured the feeling of the day was first Lady Michelle Obama. It was all over her face, all over her face the whole time. It started in the morning at the White House when Milania gave Michelle a gift that she.
Speaker 6: Clearly didn't want, clearly did not want. She's hands it over to Obama and look at Obama. Look at him.
Speaker 18: He's like, Uh, just throw this anywhere I'm moving, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, throw the trash.
Speaker 18: And by the way, by the way, in case you were wondering what was inside that box, it was just a tiny note from Milania that said help. The entire day, Michelle Obama's face was the barometer for most of America's feelings. But that face, Oh that she's not. Oh hell no, oh.
Speaker 6: Hell no, look at that face. That face is every emotion rolled into one.
Speaker 18: That's like, it's like, by Felicia, boy bye, I'd like to.
Speaker 6: Speak to your manager.
Speaker 18: I'm so done, all rolled into one. And you know, it's not hard to imagine why Michelle was feeling that way, because not only did Donald Trump move into the White House, but Republicans now control the House, the Senate, thirty two state legislatures, and thirty three state governors. Today almost felt like that scene in the Disney movie where the villain gets the upper hand. You know that feeling you get, like, remember when Mufasa died and then scar was the king? Yeah, I was there that day. Damn you Disney, because today feels just like that.
Speaker 6: It feels like a.
Speaker 18: Disney down day because Trump controls everything, which makes me sad.
Speaker 6: But on the other hand, it also means.
Speaker 18: That no more excuses, no more excuses. It's time to take your red cap off and rarely do shit because if you fail now you look like douches, and then I promise you'll be hated. Like Ted Cruz here is there's no more blaming, no liberal shaming, and.
Speaker 6: You can sign in any law. So we're waiting, though. Trump is frightening to us.
Speaker 18: So let's see him build that wall if.
Speaker 6: The bricks fit in his tiny little hat. You've got Paul Ryan as your bitch, and in the set that you've got Mitch, you've got the left in.
Speaker 18: Full retreats and a scholars empty seats.
Speaker 6: You're the fuss of the military.
Speaker 18: Now that I say it, that sounds scary, but it means that now we'll see just.
Speaker 2: What the truth is.
Speaker 6: So Donald J.
Speaker 18: Trump, no more eggs, excuse sis, no fall excuss.
Speaker 5: Let's see you.
Speaker 18: Two what you've been preaching more a long. Now that the Kenyon Muslims gone, it's time.
Speaker 6: For you to carry on.
Speaker 27: And make this country great.
Speaker 3: Dark guy, No.
Speaker 1: Excuses, no excuses, none your excuses.
Speaker 18: Today the sun was shining, the birds were singing, and McDonald's share price in Florida just went way up because America just got a brand new dad.
Speaker 20: Please raise your right hand and repeat after me, I Joseph Robinette Biden Jr.
Speaker 6: Do solemnly swear.
Speaker 20: I Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. Do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, office of President of the United States, and will, to the best of my ability, will, for the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, Constitution of the United States.
Speaker 21: So help you, God, So help me God.
Speaker 20: Congratulations, mister President.
Speaker 18: I don't know about you, but this moment will stay in my memory forever. Joe Biden's name is Robinette.
Speaker 6: What but that's right.
Speaker 18: As of noon Eastern time today, America welcomed the fresh young face of Joseph R. Biden as its forty sixth president. And despite the pandemic, this inauguration had it all former presidents. The youngest inoveral poet, an amazing singer wearing her own Etsy store, an old man on his way to the post office, and even a lady who's outfit just called me a broke bitch. Biden was so committed to unity that he even invited enemies of the States. Now I'm joking. I'm joking, guys, I'm joking. Ted Cruz didn't try and overthrow the government. He just supported the people who did. Even Mike Pence attended the inauguration to honor the democratic transition of power. Kudos to Mike Pence. You can see him there with his masque featuring the vice presidential seal. And as tradition dictates, once Kamala was sworn in, he gave that very same mask for her to put on. But before the new president could walk in, the old one had to be kicked out.
Speaker 25: There you see Marine one on the lawn of the White House. President Trump's still there, but as expected, depart any minute for Andrews Air Force Base and give a final speech before heading tomorrow Lago.
Speaker 7: And I can tell you that from the bottom of my heart, this has been an incredible four years. We rebuilt the United States military, we created a new force called Space Force, and now the stock market is actually substantially higher than it was at its higher point prior to the pandemic. So it's really you could say we built it twice. I hope that'll raise your taxes, but if they do, I told you so. So just a goodbye. We love you, We will be back in some form.
Speaker 6: Have a good life.
Speaker 7: We will see you soon.
Speaker 18: Have a good life. I don't know what a departing president is supposed to say. That's what you tell your best friend in high school when she starts dating your ex.
Speaker 6: I hope you too are very happy together, have a good life. If he dumbs you before a prom, I tell you so.
Speaker 18: Although I do like how he said, he'll be back in some form, because my man.
Speaker 6: Knows you gotta leave on a cliffhanger. I'll be back in some form.
Speaker 24: Maybe I'll come back as a politician, maybe as a mutant fish monster, or maybe I'll come back as one of those old guys with a bony jail.
Speaker 6: Stay tuned.
Speaker 18: But Trump's lost day in office wasn't all just whining and stealing silverware. No, my friends, he also made sure to hand out some very nice potsing gifts to all his friends.
Speaker 25: President Trump announces more than one hundred and forty pardons and commutations.
Speaker 29: The list ranges from the president's political allies to nonviolent drug offenders. Steve Bannon pleaded not guilty to defrauding donors in a fundraising campaign for President Trump's border wall, but before the trial could even get underway, the president gave him a preemptive pardon. Three former Republican congressmen and commuted the sentence of Detroit's former Democratic mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, who was serving time on corruption charges. The president also pardoned rappers Lil Wayne and Kodak Black on their separate federal weapons related defenses.
Speaker 18: That's right, people, Donald Trump pardoned a ton of shady people in the lost hours of his presidency, which means those fraudsters can get back to de Fording and Steve Vannon can get back to selling musenics.
Speaker 6: The weird part, though, was how he kept trying to give prison time to Eric.
Speaker 24: I'm sorry, Eric, the ruling prison is one in, one out.
Speaker 6: It's just like the nightclubs.
Speaker 18: I'm gonna miss you, Eric, Jokes, have a good life now. What was really crazy is that Trump pardoned Kodak Black and Lil Wayne, which sounds.
Speaker 6: Like a good thing.
Speaker 18: I mean, it's cool to pardon anyone, guess, but it's a terrible thing to do to a rapper because you're taking away their street cred.
Speaker 6: Now, what are they gonna rap abouts?
Speaker 24: Yeah, young weezy baby, I can get enoughice job. Now, I get her to get a muggage at a good rate, legally buy a gun in all the states.
Speaker 6: Now you see me on the street, I'm my lady. Jerry did it where they're buddy? That is goody.
Speaker 18: Honestly, if you ask me, I think it's incredible that Trump didn't pardon himself because it means that even President Trump looked at Donald Trump's record and decided, Man, I can't let this guy off that easy. Then again, some people actually speculating that Trump secretly wrote himself a pardon that he can use later, and honestly, I hope that he did because he's Donald Trump, so you know he's just gonna end up wasting that pardon on some bullshit. Mister Trump, your car is illegally parked in a handicapped spot.
Speaker 6: You're getting a ticket. Well, now's the perfect.
Speaker 24: Time to use my one and only pardon. I'll see you when I come back from my game of now.
Speaker 18: Trump is not the first president to issue shady pardons on his way out the door. I mean Bill Clinton famously pardoned his brother and a rarely dodgy businessman whose ex wife donates it to Clinton's library. And yes, don't get me wrong, Trump took it to a whole new level.
Speaker 6: But he's not unique. If anything, I think he should have gone further. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 18: I'm really pissed off that of all the people Trump chose to pardon, he didn't pardon Joe Exotic because I don't know about you, but I want no I need a second season of that show.
Speaker 6: I need more Tiger King Not.
Speaker 18: The only thing I can watch on Netflix is that Bridgeton show every day Bridgington Bridgeton.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm falling in love with that duke.
Speaker 18: Now I'm sitting there wondering what how babies would look like if we were a couple, probably like us. And it wasn't just last minute pardons. Last night, at literally one o'clock in the morning, Donald Trump also did this.
Speaker 23: Breaking overnight, President Donald Trump signing an executive order releasing current and former members of his administration from the terms of their ethics pledge. That pledge one of Trump's first executive orders back in twenty seventeen, when he pledged to drain the swamp. It required Trump's political appointees to agree to the lobbying ban, as well as pledged not to undertake work that would require them to register as a foreign agent after leaving government.
Speaker 18: So, after all that time talking about how he's going to drain the swamp. The one rule he actually made to reduce corruption he got rid of right before he left office. But let's be real, though, people electing Trump to reduce corruption is like hiring Hilaria Baldwin to handle your PR crisis. The results are going to be no bueno. But on the other hand, I do get why he's doing this. Trump's staffers have to become lobbyists. I mean, where else are they going to go with their resumes? So why do you think you'd be a good employee for a pets plus, Well, you guys keep pets and cages, and we used to keep kids in cages.
Speaker 6: Uh, okay, we'll be in touch.
Speaker 18: And so with Trump finally going, it was time for President Biden to get the key from under the match and settle into the house that they'd spent all day getting ready for him.
Speaker 13: Right now, the White House resident staff are going around the White House and boxing up anything that the Trump family may have left behind. Trump officials insist that the place is going to be sanitized with particular care and COVID nineteen in mind.
Speaker 8: Part of what is going to be moved in and different in the White House residence. Is that the Bidens will I hear share a bedroom. The Trump's of course, had separate bedrooms, so this will be switched. All the mattresses will be refreshed.
Speaker 27: We're so used to seeing the new president walk up the steps under the north portico into the White House to be greeted by the outgoing president of the United States, and there you saw Joe Biden and the first Lady not greeted by anybody outside the front door of the White House. In fact, the previous president had skipped down before the inauguration, so Biden left there to sort of be a self greet in many ways and let himself into the White House into the front door.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Trump wasn't there to greek Biden at the White House, which is a snub. But on the other hand, I'm not sure that Trump needs to be there now because how would that conversation even go.
Speaker 6: You know what actually needs.
Speaker 18: To work here, so you don't need to show me where the situation room is the sit you what room?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 18: I know it's inauguration Day and everyone wants to throw a party, but remember it's also Weddins Day, which means it's slow work day, and so after he got back to the White House, President Joseph Robinette Biden went straight to work. And let's just say the White House bathroomsn't the only place Biden is looking to wipe out any trace of Donald Trump.
Speaker 19: Just hours after being sworn in, President Joe Biden is already putting the pen to a number of executive orders. This is common practice as presidents enter office.
Speaker 30: Biden expected to sign roughly a dozen executive orders, undoing some of Donald Trump's most controversial move He will immediately rejoin the Paris Climate accurt, reportedly canceled the Keystone Pipeline, and will reverse the so called Muslim travel band, and take the first step in his fight against COVID, mandating masks on federal lands and extending the pause of student loan payments.
Speaker 18: Wow, that is a huge reversal of Trump's legacy, rejoining the Paris Accords, canceling the Keystone Pipeline, and even repealing the infamous Muslim Band. Although with America's COVID rates right now, I don't actually think that last one is gonna make much of a difference.
Speaker 6: Come on over, Muslim countries, come on to America.
Speaker 18: Actually we have zoom now, so you guys kind of keep your coffee.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 18: This is really good news, and I'm glad that America is rejoining the Paris Accord.
Speaker 6: But you gotta admit this back and forth.
Speaker 18: This must be so weird for other countries because under Obama, Americas celebrate to the Paris Accords.
Speaker 6: But then under Trump it was like.
Speaker 18: The Paris Accords, let the planet burn, and the now on to Biden. It's like, all right, guys, I'm I'm back in the Paris Accords.
Speaker 6: Sorry. Yeah, and I'm also back on my mads.
Speaker 18: Sorry about that. So, my friends, Donald's christ that was crazy. Trump has officially departed the White House for the last time. And I know, I know that many people are angry right now the state that he left this country, and but I implore you to try and look at the few silver linings. One, America survived Trump and in doing so, displayed its resilience. And two, Trump's term has truly exposed so many of the flaws in America's system. And I know, for some day one of Joe Biden's presidency may be too soon to think about fixing America's problems. But You need to start fixing them now, because before you know it's twenty twenty four will be here and Donald Trump might be back.
Speaker 6: In some form.
Speaker 3: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten.
Speaker 10: Central on Comedy Central, and streamful episodes anytime on Bear Amount plus
Speaker 15: Paramount Podcasts