Speaker 1: Good to go.
Speaker 2: Ready, clap clap, clap action. This is another episode of Busting with the Boys. I am your host, William Merrol Kompton third. My co host today is he goes by the name Brian.
Speaker 1: Peters, Brian Edward Peters. Before we get.
Speaker 2: Into the episode and get into Brian and his background and everything else, I have to let you guys know this episode is brought to you by the one the only Chevy Silverado. Shoutouts Chevy Silverado, no free shoutouts, the strongest, most advanced Silverado ever. The Silverado is strong, advance, dependable, hard working like the.
Speaker 1: People who drive them.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: The design is big, bolding, commanding, and this truck turns absolute heads.
Speaker 1: The boy.
Speaker 2: Now, you guys can chirp all you want, and by this time, you guys will already know that we got him. But the boy is now parked on a high country, a high country six point two leader Chevy Silverado brand new. The Boys our partner with Gritton determination, and anything is possible with this Silverado in that you can tailgate, you can haul, you can tow, you can off road, moving day, helping your friend out, helping out family members, road trips, whatever you want to do this, Chevy can do it. Taylor and I. We went to the dealership. We've already told you the story plenty of times. That boy he's parked in and what is it called the ridge, Rocky Rocky Ridge, the Rocky Ridge, Chevy Silverado, and your boy over here. Fortunately they hooked him up with a high Country Silverado. Brian, Are you a big Chevy? Are you a big Chevy guy?
Speaker 1: I had a Chevy Tahoe for about eight years. Yeah, so I'm a Chevy guy. Did to treat you well, treat me great, and then drowned in the Harvey flood really out of Texas. Yeah, got water up to the windshield.
Speaker 2: And then Chevy probably helped you out and got you out of that mess and probably hooked you up with another Chevy.
Speaker 1: Something like that.
Speaker 2: But scrappy, scrappy, gritty, all the lunch pale stuff you can think of. Go to a Chevy dealership near you, let him know the boy sent you, and take a video show your friends. But hey, this episode we're brought to you by Chevy. Now we're gonna sit in chat with the old boy. Brian Peters. Brian, your background. You went to the Universe or you went to Northwestern University.
Speaker 1: You're a nerd.
Speaker 2: You went you are a transitional safety that went to linebacker, that moved to linebacker in the league. Before you got to the league, you were in Arena Football, Canadian Football.
Speaker 1: UFL in between there, I got.
Speaker 4: I got so you were the UFL in between Arena and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did like training camp and I got cut from from the UF. You got cut in the UFL, the league I didn't want to be in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you went up to Canada.
Speaker 1: Canada, Yeah, Canadia. Yeah, Yeah, they'll they'll fix you if you cracked that.
Speaker 4: And then you finally made it at what age to the NFL.
Speaker 1: I was a twenty six year old rookie with the Minnesota Vikings. Holy shit, dude, yeah, madness.
Speaker 2: The reason I wanted to have Brian on Obviously he's gritty and all this type of shit, But the dude is, you have a perspective, a work ethic. You have a lot of shit. So Brian and I met each other through like a doctor. We both like consult with a trainer. He helps with like when we go and get our blood work checked out, nutrients, any deficiencies we have, any injuries we have. I saw Brian's jersey hanging the WALMA, like, oh, do you know Brian. You know Brian Peters asking the doctor doctor Serrano, shout out doctor Serrano, no free shoutouts. Yeah, it's a fucking Puerto Rican.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's thinking, hey, no, disrespected the Puerto Rican shout out to perto Ricans. But doctor Serrano is a crazy Porto Rican. He's a mad genius, a scientist with supplements. Yeah, and uh, somebody will Brian's like my son, and uh, you know, I had respected Brian from AFAR because he was a captain for the Houston Texans, which we're going to get in all that stuff because I think it's incredible that you arena football cut now that we know from the UFL Canadian Football NFL, you become a captain amongst like a roster filled with like you know, all the savages, JJ Watt, the.
Speaker 1: Hop we had Tyranne, you had some j Jo Jonathan Joe. So if we have dogs on that team, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can follows it. What's your Instagram.
Speaker 1: Brian underscore Peters ten. You can check out all.
Speaker 4: His shirtless photos on Brian Underscore Peters ten.
Speaker 1: Up to your neck and the eyes anything but yeah, at the end of the day, the only jealous.
Speaker 2: I can't look like that, you know what I mean, Maybe at some point in time when I can put the food down, I actually have some discipline and not go into the pantry at night with the munchies, you know what I mean. Those Trader Joe's dark chocolate peanut buttercups. They hit those dark chocolate covered almonds. I'm a big chocolate guy at the end of the night. What are you talking about? What is it? Just Brian flex and most muskyther and I just shoot all the eyes to Oh my god, you can see a.
Speaker 1: Garrett All laughing.
Speaker 2: He's like, fuck, I'm missing it. But dude, where it even start? I mean, let's talk about why in the you'd play Arena football?
Speaker 1: Oh dude, it so. I mean it started on draft day, like obviously, like I'm training for the Combine and didn't get invite to the Combine. Like I had a good senior season. I was playing safety at the time. I led the big tenant interceptions that year, Like thought I had a chance at least to get it, like undrafted, uh, free agent deal something along those lines. Draft day rolls on, I get zero phone calls. I get the only person that called me on draft day was my agent, and Pat Fitzgerald asked me, like what the deal was.
Speaker 2: And you, uh, sorry interrupt, but you had the most interceptions, you were coming off the most.
Speaker 4: You said something, you had a stat getting off.
Speaker 1: I led the big tenant interceptions, That's what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, so like at least like some kind of look for like a roommate. Some plays had a hunter tackle like that kind of deal, Like I thought I had a chance. Like I'm not saying, like, you can't even get a rookie mini camp tryout now. So so so as the story rolls on, So like four days later, we had a Northwestern guy down in the Buccaneers training camp and he got me in for like the tryout and their mini camp. And their mini camp was crazy because it was Schiano's first year down there. Oh I I've never heard good things, dude, Savage. So like, so it's a three day mini camp and we're running two A days and so we got to two A days and then one more practice, but we're doing strength and conditioning in between the two days so we hit a workout, or so we hit a practice, then we did a workout and we run hundreds during at the end of the workout, and then we go out for a second practice. So I'm playing safety at this point. Second practice, we have three linebackers pop hamstring. So I go down and play sam linebacker because I was the biggest safety. You're gonna have some soft tissue injuries too, Yeah, fucking yeah. Little overtraining, a sprinkle of overtraining. So I switched down to sam backer and ended up holding my own. I had Brian Cox. He's an old dog from oh I saw good videos. Yeah, yeah, he's either he's a he's a saucy motherfucker. He's a stud. But like that was like my first lesson and like showing like I had a good camp. They're like, hey, you come back here and you gain twenty pounds that kind of deal. So I was like, all right, I got a chance to get signed. I'm leaving feeling pretty good. And I had like another work out the following weekend for the Bears mini camp, and they like that was like but like so down in Tampa. That was Mark Baron's rookie year. So he was like a safety that came in and did they end up having like another undrafted freegent sign that kind of thing. Anyways, long story short, they didn't sign me, but I got like my first lesson on like how to show up for a workout and that kind of thing. Brian Cox was a savage. He's like basically saying, like, any chance you have a time to show your physical show effort. He goes, never lose that. Because there's like a time I met this full back in a hole and it was tag off and like I tagged off. He goes, would you hit him there? I was like, I was like, yeah, of course I would have dropped him. And he goes, no, we're not in pads with just some helmets. And he goes he goes, I don't know that. He goes, never passed up an opportunity to fuck up, fuck up a dude. I was like, and that's stuck in the back of my mind. And that showed up up in the CFL. But like from there, went to the Bears work Bears tryout and did I bawled like I had two picks in the mini camp. They had this third round draft pick that he didn't pan Out. He was out of the league in like two years, but like outplayed him. Thought I had a chance. But like that was those two camps, Like they showed that I could They told me in the back of my head I could play, like I knew I could play now, So like that's why I went through all these other leagues.
Speaker 4: So that's why you're hanging. You're like, yeah, I'll I'll see this through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so like so now I'm back in Northwestern I'm living on a couch behind my or I'm living on a bed behind my buddy's couch in their apartment in like northern Chicago, and uh, and I'm working oddjobs on personal training kids. Uh dude, I'm babysitting, like I'm doing demolition for this this hockey player and his family and just getting getting by. And I'm training at this scrappy phenomenal gym, this boxing gym, and the basement at ten pm at night. So I'm popping pre workout at nine point thirty, going to this basement, getting it done, waking up in the morning, going back doing again. Make money enough to get by. And so my agent, like nobody's saying anything, so he sends me out for the summer to arena football the Iowa Barnstormers where Kurt Warner played. Shout out the Iowa Barnstormers. Yeah, shout out the Iowa Barnstormers. But they so my agine goes go out there, like play for a few weeks, stay in shape in case NFL calls. And I was like, all right, bet, So I get out there. I drive out to Des Moines, Iowa, and I get there and like I'm I already think I'm on the team. And I get out there and it's a thirteen man tryout for two spots for like to end out the season. So I'm like, well, let's right.
Speaker 4: I end out the season of an arena football team.
Speaker 1: Yep. So I get there and it's thirteen man tryout, end up making the team, me and one other kid, and so out there getting paid three hundred bucks a week before Texas to play football. Dude. Some of the most fun football they were playing in my life though, So is that.
Speaker 2: Just because it's just like I just freedom. It's like keep playing high school ball again, dude.
Speaker 1: I was playing this jack linebacker position where I start on what like the short side of the field, and my only job is that you check run and then you run horizontal and hit anybody of any other the other team's color. And you're smashing dudes in the walls. Like you're launching dudes over the wall. There's people pouring beer on you. Like I'm talking more shit to the fans and I'm talking to the players. It was so much fun, phenomenal.
Speaker 2: So what were the fans like, are they just like trying to drag you a little?
Speaker 1: But everybody's chirping you and like like there's people like on dates. It's just it's like a it's a cool environment because you can hear and then like there's people right behind your bench talking the whole time. So it was fun. It was It was a good experience. And then for three hundred bucks. For three hundred bucks a week, and I mean they they covered like an extended stay too, so like it's a little we'll call it even seven hundred a week. But uh so then went went back like it was working and training in Chicago still and then my agent got me a tryout with the UFL. So I went out with the Omaha Nighthawks. Uh shout out Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shut out in Nebraska. I think there were some of the boys that were out there playing on the Omaha Nighthawks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can the only like Maurice Clarett was there for a couple of days and like that was the last I heard of him. But he but anyways, like went out on a tryout, made the team, came back to Chicago for a week, then went back out for training camp. And at that time, SO went through training camp, had a good training camp, and then NFL had their cuts. They picked up all the loose NFL guys, so cut half the roster. I was out of there, crushed, thought like my foot all career was over because my agent wasn't saying shit. And then I came back to Chicago like kind of kept training. My agent was just like like, we don't want to go to Canada because you have to sign a two year deal all like I said, I was like, I'm I want to play football, and you get back to the NFL. So he sends out lines to his CFL contacts and NFL again hang on slow down.
Speaker 4: So how long were you in the arena circuit? Like you're still kind of in it right now?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, So arena's done. Arena was like four or five weeks. So at what point of the year is Arena playing. I think that was June, so like then, so you're in June about to go into the new NFL training Yeah, so like the next season, so I guess it was July. No, so July, so my rookie, so that was twenty twelve I came out, ye, and so yeah, so probably July. And then whenever cuts are in football August yeah yeah, so like so it's probably middle of July to August. And because of then, yeah, so then there's a week week or ten day break before the UFL. I was in the UFL for two weeks. NFL had their cuts wash the board. So now NFL is starting, I'm hearing nothing from NFL or CFL, and the CFL is wrapping up their season. CFL is a summer league. So my agent gets crickets. I go, dude, give me everybody's emails, all email them from my perspective. So I email say, hey, Brian Peters, I'll be a dog for you. It's it's trash when I look back at it now. I still got the email too, It's so I read it every now and then. For like Jews, but yeah like juice yeah, like yeah, so just the like motivate me, like makee shit happen once I can do it again kind of deal. And then so I email all the CFL guys, all the NFL guys. One team response to Sketching Rough riders like I had my highlight tape and crap on.
Speaker 2: There, and then like yea, all be a dog for you. Check the tape. Yeah, check the tape. Yeah you want to check tape?
Speaker 1: What movie is that? That's the I don't know, couple's retreat. You want to check tape?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking about full back being like a being like an all say high school full back. Yeah, but uh so that anyways, Sketching Rough responded and then responded to me. So then they never even talked to my agent at the time, so they said, hey, yeah, come up, we'll throw you on practice squad and you can sign a deal after that. So I was like bet so I talked to my agent. He negotiated my contract really quick, which was their minimum, and then went up there, which is showing Canadian highlights right now, Oh here we go. Brian Peters, who has in fourteen defensive highlights. You'll see some linebackers, some safety on here. I did a little bit of everything up there. I see just getting nasty a little bit. Oh you go, Daddy got in there. Daddy got in there. I love that. But anyway, so I went up there, and then this is where, like, this is where I started getting seered to doctor Serrano. So I got, how old are you me? I'm twenty five, twenty six. I'm twenty five about to turn twenty six, and twenty six is a death birthday for me. So I go up there. I'm on their practice squad for a couple of weeks and I signed my two year contract. So this is for thirteen fourteen. And so the day I get back is a Thursday. It's my birthday Halloween. So I get back and like one of my birthdays on Halloween, my birthdays on Halloween, we're a big Spootober podcast. Oh big, Like we're big spootob guy. Okay, big dress up party for the birthday kind of guy. But I get back and my buddy Jeremy Ebert just got cut by the Patriots, and so he was in town. He's got money in his pocket. He goes, let's go out for your birthday dude. He was my college roommate for four years. And so we go out from and all my other buddies couldn't make it out because it had worked the next day. So me and him go out. We get rowdy, and I end up getting jumped by three bouncers. So I get like, what you do?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Look, yeah, I ended up getting jumped by three bouncers. It sounds ramadic, But what did you do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was not. It was not uninstigated, but uh no. So all right, so like I like the dance when I go out that I was prevacive with that. So we're at this bar, I know the DJ at the bar's in Columbus, and I'm dancing on stage with some girls having a great time. Bouncer comes over, weighs me down. He goes, no guys dance on stage. I go all right, so come on. Yeah, So I jumped down off stage and like I proceed to like walk to the bar, grabs my arm, pulls me back. He goes, no, you're out of here, dude, and I go for dancing on stage. Obviously, I give him a little little attitude and he uh and ends up kicking me out. I go peacefully. I was like, just don't grab my arm, Like, I go out peacefully, and I'm not rock rocked at this point. So and at this time these there's three bars that are connected by inside doors. So I go and go into another bar, and I walk back into the bar and join my people. This goes on for a few more hours. The boys are drinking and drinking, and we get to the point where I'm buying shots at the bar and pretty saut up got like my buddy and a group of girls with us, and I'm ordering shots. Uh people start to grab the shots as I'm buying them, and like, I turn around and there's we don't have enough shots. So I start politely our drink with the bar. I was like, man, we don't have enough shots, and she goes, yeah, we do. Like you're just being drunk, which I was, and then she waves over the bouncer, same bouncer they kicked me out the first time. And so I'm so, I'm dressed as it's Halloween. I'm dressed as Batman and he goes, oh, Batman's back. He goes Batman's back, and uh so, anyways, this time they don't take me out the front door. Him and two other bouncers escort me out the back door. He my buddy at the time. He sees me arguing with these bouncers at the back door. He runs over. He goes, we're leaving guys. We're leaving guys. And then he goes, I'm calling our ride. We're out of here. So he goes out the back door first, and the back doors like connects alley to the street, and then so and then more so their security can put each other too. But so I turn around and I try and get the last word with the bouncers. Didn't work out. My last word, no clue. I was your boy was a little great out at this point, but like, so get the last word, walk out, and then next thing I know, someone's trying to rear naked me from behind. I turned into some punches. I'm down on the ground. I'm out. My buddy runs back, jump like jumps, push the guys off. Guys go back inside. But so we get in the car and luckily his cousin that was picking us up, is it. Yeah, I was like, I was t K I was down, and my buddy turns around and said he saw me getting stomped out and yeah, so I got like I got cut, yeah batman. But so, but so like that's where again another time where I thought football was gone too. But so we get in the car and like his cousins in dental school and like checks me out, my teeth are moving, my jaws moving, My jaws broke. So I go to the hospital, uh and ended up getting surgery that night on your jaw, on my jaw, So I have a plate and seven screws in my jaw and they uprooted a bunch of teeth, so I have like I have like ten fake teeth on the bottom, like I had a flipper, like the whole time in Canada, I had flip out teeth. So like I told her, I was a hockey player. But yeah, so you you legit get sucking like I get wrecked. You fucked. Yeah, I spend I spend seven weeks wired shut, thirty hours in the dentist chair like that kind of stuff. But but so that night, so like obviously like I'm here with doctor Toronto a little bit at this point, and my mom calls him at like three in the morning says, hey, Brian got jumped, like he needs like surgery tonight, that kind of thing. Toronto calls this doctor, this oral surgeon. She comes in from like two hours away at three in the morning to do the surgery kills it I have any problems like that kind of thing, but like at the time, like they're like, your mandibles are cracked, really weird, all this stuff like you might you might not be able to play football again. So I'm like fuck like like I'm like I did this to myself.
Speaker 4: Are you still in the Batman costume?
Speaker 1: No? I did not wake up in the Batman costume. They let me go into surgery like that. But but so anyways, uh wake up, Like i spend like a week on the couch. I'm I dropped fifteen twenty pounds really fast. I'm sipping liquid percocet like a juice box. And doctor Toronto comes over and he goes like, get off your ass, you pussy. He and so like, so I'm over there. No, he's a man, and and he like he cares more than anybody, which is really cool. Like he like he's he's a tough dude, but he cares. So I started training with him for the last six weeks. I was wired shut and by the end of that six weeks, I was ship. I was almost up to like linebacker weight, so I gained more weight than I lost. I was the strongest I've ever been because like, but I was, I mean, I was drinking everything, like I was, dude. I was blending up steaks, I was blending up cookies. I was blending up Chipotle. So like my diet was like three liter cups and I was just drinking my entire diet and made it happen, and supplements and everything but bananas. So yeah, it's super crazy. But anyways, uh from there, that's fucking nuts. Yeah, that's fucking awesome. Yeah yeah, but I mean that's I did. I did to myself. I got your boy got a little too crazy and well yeah, yeah for sure, but I still didn't deserve that ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like nobody's gonna be, you know, blending up steaks and Chipotle and thinking about getting their way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but so like kind of at this point now, like I like I I kept training with them and that kind of thing, and then eventually went back and did northwesterns Pro Day the following year, and I was switching the linebacker at this point. Now is gonna go play some linebacker safety in Canada. And since I didn't get a shot at safety, I'm gonna try and play linebacker because I know I can play. And so I go to the Pro day. I run faster, jump higher, like all my numbers are better, even though I gained twenty pounds. So and that's where like now, like I see the relationship between the leg strength, the supplements, all these things. So I start to go and like I started to get like addicted to the to the gym into like bettering myself and chasing these edges to be just to be better and get the shot that I wanted. So I go up to Canada, and low key I got cut from Canada and they put me on Pea squad for a little bit. And then in the story and so the only reason I got active the first time in Canada so that in Canada football fields longer and wider and the field goal is on the goal line. So this one of our other like our weekside linebacker was covering this post route and runs into the field goal and breaks his collar bone. And so I get an opportunity to be active and start eating on special teams up there and eventually earn the starting spot on defense, play another year up there and get the opportunity to come back to uh the NFL with the with the Vikings. But that was a whole another mess in and of itself because I get back or sorry, I'm at home after my contract and the the the rough Riders call me and say, hey, who's your agent because they don't remember because I initially initially made the contact. Yeah. So anyways, they're like, like, the the Eagles and the Saints want to work you out. So I was like, all right, cool, like put them in touch with my agent. I work out for the teams, but I work out for the Eagles first, have a really good workout, and they they do your blood work and X rays and all that kind of stuff at the workouts, and they go, hey, something's wrong with your blood work. It's probably it's probably a lab air, but uh go get your blood work tested to get and sent to us. And I'm a Serano, so uh I was like, Doc, like, I say, I have low blood platelets and I go, I don't know what that means. And he goes, oh shit. He goes like low blood plates usually means cancer and all these kind of crazy things. So we'll go get a ton of test done. But eventually I find out I have this rare blood condition called itp idio thrumbo side opinia and explained low blood paga idio thrombo side opinia. But it's just unexplained low blood platelets, and like, so basically yeah, so yeah, but so, but basically, like, I'm very susceptible to like gunshots and stab wounds. I'll probably die if I get shot or stabbed. A lot of people would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm very susceptible to gunshots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of us are.
Speaker 6: We interrupt this episode to bring you a message from Better Help. The best way to think about therapy is through a bunch of analogies. We get our cars tuned up to prevent bigger issues down the road. We get annual checkups and go to the gym to maintain a physical wellness and prevent injury and disease. We do chores regularly, some of us to avoid a giant mess of a house and roaches. Therapy doesn't mean something's wrong with you. You're investing in yourself to keep your mind healthy, and Barstool agrees they're offering better Help services to their employees as an added benefit to help take care of their overall well being. Better Help is customize online therapy that offers video, phone and even live chat sessions with your therapists so you don't have to see anyone on camera if you don't want to, why invest in everything else and not your mind. It's much more affordable than in person therapy. You can you could start communicating with your therapists in under forty eight hours. This podcast is sponsored by better Help and our listeners get ten percent off their first month at betterhelp dot com. Slash bustin that's b E T T E r h e LP dot com slash busting.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but it's not Eventually. I got to the I found out enough about it down the road once because I so like I made the mistake of going to the Saints for the next workout and I killed the next workout like ran high four five like shuttled like in the like six seven again like three cone shuttle that kind of thing, like good workout. I had their pro personnel guy, Terry Fontau, like saying, hey, we're gonna sign you. I was like bet, like I'm I got a shot in the NFL. And then he goes, but we gotta get but you have this blood thing. We gotta get that figured out. Like we've never had this before. So like he's like, we'll link you with our hematologists, our blood doctor, and we'll figure it out. Don't hear anything for them for a few weeks, and the CFL starts calling their freeency opened and so up there, like the money goes fast. So like basically every day of freegency up there, I'm losing like ten grand a day if I'm going back to the CFL. My agent can't get a hold of anybody in New Orleans. So and I have this other agent call me asking me about my contract in there because he's got another guy that's negotiating. We're trying to drive the price up all this stuff. Anyways, like this agent was like more speaking my language. My other agent wasn't doing shit. So I fired the other agent, which I should have done years before. But and so he gets me in touch with the Saints, gets me phone down there, but they're gonna have me sign an injury waiver where if I don't if I don't heal on any like any injury concussion, pulled hamstring, sprain, finger, whatever, I don't heal on their timeline, they can cut me without pay, no injury settlements and that kind of stuff, and which was trash. And so that agent was like no, and we're still talking to them. And then I switched agents and that agent got me three workouts in twenty four hours. So that's the first time was like, oh, agents do kind of matter. Yeah, they do matter, like their connections matter. And then a couple of days later, I worked out for the Vikings. Didn't tell them about my blood condition. They never even noticed in my blood work and that kind of thing. Had a good off season with them. Love Minneapolis, really cool locker room up there. They put me on Pea Squad. I'm twenty I know it's a shit show of the story, but I'm twenty six.
Speaker 2: All this happens from the moment you get yet on your birthday, yeah, twenty three to twenty five, Yeah, yeah Jesus. So anyway, so I get to Minnesota, and that's why I link up my guy Harvey, who we have the mind Strong project with now the Breathing Company.
Speaker 1: But so I'm there link with him. But uh, they put me on Pea squad. I was on peace squad there for three weeks and like and then on like a Tuesday, I'm at like a charity event for the Vikings, and I get a call and my agent said, hey, the Texans want to sign you. Go to the airport and like, I have a flight in three and a half hours, So like, I hustle home, leave my car there, all that kind of stuff and hang on.
Speaker 4: So you made the you you were in Vikings training camp.
Speaker 1: No, I was like, I was in Vikings training camp, and they put me on practice squad when the right So.
Speaker 2: When the season is done, they cut you and put you on practic squad. You're there for the first three weeks yep. Which season is this twenty fifteen twenty fifteen season? And then in three weeks your agent calls Texans want you to sign active.
Speaker 1: Yep with them? Yep. All right, and so and the kind of the little dance I went through here now is if somebody signed you off practice squad, they have to keep you active for three games to give you an accredited season yep. And so however much money that equates to. But the Vikings want me to stay there too, so they offered me full salary guaranteed to stay there for the whole you're on practice squad, and they said they'd get me up as soon as they could to active roster. So I'm sitting at the airport trying to make the decision whether to stay for half a mil or go and play three games for whatever twenty K game or whatever it equates to. And so I'm sitting there like trying to make decision. I have equity build up there, the coaches know me whatever. The same story with all those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for everybody listening to, like when you're on peace squad and you're like a You're a solid player that they know can potentially develop or get activated for them, but they know they can hide you on practice squad until somebody finds you. That's essentially what happened with Brian is the Texas society, you know, we want this kid now. The Vikings have to Now Brian has leverage to leave. So what they would do is offer that salary style pay so you can play like you're on the active roster but stay on practice squad, and then they'll throw everything in the toolshit at you. Be like, you know you have a good reputation here, you have good relationships here, We'll get you up as soon as we can. Like it's all negotiating, it's all like yeah, mind games.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's but it's empty promise correct. Yes. And so I got to the point where one of my buddies hit me with a line that was just a switch for me. I called Dan Percy, is a quarterback in Northwestern with me, and he goes, Dude, you spent three years in three different leagues to play in the NFL, not practice in the NFL. I was like, yeah, let's try good. I'm on the plane and so I and I've been talking to my mom and my brother and my buddies and that kind of thing during this whole deal. And I get on the plane, my uh my parents call me and they're like, you know what, me and your dad talked. We think you should stay in Minnesota. I was like, I was like, Dad, I'm on the plane. They're like, okay, Like we're more conservative you than that conservative conservative than you anyways, Like good luck. So I go down there, start playing Week four down there and put like put together like a great season I was. I led the NFL and special teams tackles with twelve games played, so like I like got their kind of like there you get their attention. Yeah, kid, got their attention. Got leverage, and like the leverages everything in the NFL, Like I mean, how many times did you have leverage on a team to know like, yeah, they're gonna they're gonna sign me back, or know that you like you're adding enough value that they're going to keep you right, Like.
Speaker 2: The injury waiver stuff was the same situation I've explained before on the podcast. But when I went and tried out for Oakland and they wanted to sign me, they had an injury waiver sitting in front of me being like if anything on my like my right leg, anything on my right leg gets damaged, they can cut me, wash their hands, not have to rehab me, not have to pay for any surgery. Like if I tore my ACL, they don't have to pay for it. They can just cut me and do away with it. And I was able to be like, you know, I don't want to do that, Like I'm gonna leave. Do you mind getting me a flight back to Nashville, Like yeah, we can get that set up. Pre I'm sorry it didn't work out. Twenty minutes later, they walk back in like, hey, May outcomes in.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 2: He's like, hey, if we do away with this injury waiver, would you sign. I'm like yeah, He's like, let's make it happen. So it's just crazy how that kind of stuff works. Like if you have a little bit of leverage or a little bit of anything, it's you know, it's everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like life is a negotiation too, so oh guaranteed. But even that, Like I mean, yeah, they're protecting themselves and they're making their business decisions and that kind of thing. But at the same time, like they.
Speaker 2: Were trying to tell me, Will is on, Will's taking indocent and an anti inflammatory and you know that that raises eyebrows for us. And I had just sprained my ankle and got an injury settlement with the Saints during preseason. So I'm like, yeah, I'm on it because I sprained my ankle and aside from that, everyone in the fucking locker room is on anti inflammators, and you guys are gonna give it to me anyway if I say I don't have it, because my agent call is like, why would you tell him that, I'm like, because it doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't I just let them know?
Speaker 2: Hey, Like you know, I'm I'm doctoring my ankle a little bit and I'm still on stuff, and he's like, you know, you can hurt yourself. That's why they want to put the injury settlement. It's like, well, all right, it doesn't like it doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so now that you're fighting fire and you want me to lie to them, So like it's.
Speaker 4: Just when we're all doing it anyway, like everyone down in the lock.
Speaker 1: Dy is time planmatory, like the I mean, like they're starting to tighten up the tourtle and all that kind of stuff. But like like an anti inflammatory is are a problem and then that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Mean I'll ever stop doing them because they get me through the season, like they get me through playing football.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. But but so you started like kind of balancing that with like the peptides and stuff too, didn't you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like the BPC one seven because that helps with like leaky gut I've talked about before it actually introduced it talking on the EMRR podcast, I felt a little queasy talking about it because the way he was explaining how he learned about it, seeing the needles and everything else. And I was kind of like, you know, dabbling, educating a little bit on it because you just don't want people to.
Speaker 1: Think like you're doing something, yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like having the peptides with it as well to help with the leaky gut and anything that those anti inflammatories can cause, like in your gut lining, because that's essentially what happens is it tears up your insides right, like the bleeding that goes on inside. Like it sounds way worse than I feel like it actually, you know, I don't know. I don't want to make people think we're dying the inside out, but you know, it destroys your gut a little bit, Yeah for sure. Just yeah, I'm full, you know, I'll be on anti inflammatories, Like anytime you're about to play, like toward ALL, Like yeah, you're trying to get toward ALL. Like you know a guys who you know, I knew, dudees wh would take like two toward ALL before a game started, and then another one at halftime.
Speaker 1: For sure. I mean they hand them to you at halftime. Yeah, Yeah, that stuff will never stop.
Speaker 2: They'll they'll make it look better as they should like, but at the end of the day, like you know, if you're if you're if you're playing, and you're trying to continue to play and make the team and and put out good tape and good film, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, throw it in my fucking system. Deal, well, well scrape me off the field, bro, yeah, which is which is the vibe. But like so like, but what caught up to me with that blood condition too, is they wouldn't give me any anti inflammatories because like, because I already have thin blood, they don't want that. Yeah yeah, yeah, so I didn't get that luxury.
Speaker 2: So like I was just so you're out there natural on that you're white, already behind the eight ball, just out there like just being cut everywhere in the Canadian League, the arena team, fucking finally getting your shot, and you can't even get on the you can't even get on the stuff that makes you feel good.
Speaker 1: Yeah No, they couldn't even do like p RP on me and stuff like that. So I was always doing stem cells whenever I needed it and that kind of things for those injuries.
Speaker 5: Damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So are you always like checking your blood work like doing yeah, decent amount like I mean, I do it kind of quarterly anyway, for my yeah, for my hormone levels and like my vitamin deficiencies to like just make sure I'm balanced and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: But like yeah, they always do a CBC on me, which just like checks like red white and your platelets and that kind of thing, and mine's mine stay low. But like but the crazy thing, like I think it was kind of like fade or whatever. But the once that the Texans found out my second year, like obviously I didn't tell them about it once they signed me, right, but in the second year, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, but going into the second year is when you've led the NFL and special teams tackles.
Speaker 1: Now you're going into the second with the Texans. Yeah, and like trying to establish myself as like a niche player, and like so I had like rapes down there. That's like saying, we need like special teams, guys, we need somebody to take some ownership of special teams street rats yeah, gritty yeah, yeah, And so like that that was my niche Like that's what like I did that like wholeheartedly, like whatever, whatever you do, be good at it. Like that was my like that was my thing down there initially. But like so they find the blood the blood condition, and but like like literally like the world renowned specialists and and my blood condition is based in that massive medical compound in Houston. So I go over there and he like he's doing all these like he's doing uh like organ imaging and things like that, and but then he like breaks down my blood to like a whole other level than all these other blood tests were doing. He goes, actually, like you have blood playlists are just crazy small, like your your spleen beats him up, but you still have blood playlists. And he goes, I used to tell people with I t P that you like you can't play football or ride motorcycles and that kind of thing, but now it's gotta tell him you can only not ride motorcycles because now we got at high level. Yeah, so so that was cool. But anyways, but yeah, so did four years down in in Houston and that and that was the wrap. And I've been I've been trying to knock on doors and adapt, oh by any means necessary, your boys taking up long snapping, I'm doing anything and else. Yeah, yeah, and we'll we'll get you a video to block. It's a show. To show the show a little bit. Now, come on, now you got to get the baby. I'll take god, I can get.
Speaker 2: So you you were you were with Houston before we get there. You were with Houston for four years. Yep, okay, that's awesome. Yeah what year did you become the captain?
Speaker 1: Uh? Not till my last year. Technically we don't really have like consistent captains the first couple of years.
Speaker 2: Would you say that's one of your better Like like achievements are, oh, no doubt your favorite awards accomplished?
Speaker 1: Oh for sure. Yeah, Like just uh being a captain in general, Like I think everybody takes leadership differently too, Like you don't like you can be a leader, you don't have to be a captain and that kind of thing too. But no, like I mean just to go like I want there's I wasn't supposed to be an NFL anyways, Like I wasn't supposed to get out of the arena the league, Like I want like three or four people get out of the CFL every year like that kind of stuff. I just beat the odds everywhere, and like that's where like the chasing Edges mindset comes in. Like once I knew I could play, every time I got cut, I found three for four new things to take on and learn and add to the add to the my ability or like my tool belt or whatever. Event. Actually they stacked up and got got me the opportunity, So I think I enjoyed it like like I I was grateful for the opportunity a little more than other guys because I went through went the scenic route with it. Yeah. Yeah, after your four years?
Speaker 5: What year?
Speaker 1: What year was your last? The league? You you're on You've been out for one full year now two years, dude, Yeah, I've been out for a minute.
Speaker 4: So you're going on your this is this will be the third season coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so it's been it's been. It's been. It's been a minute.
Speaker 2: So I did so sh it flies because I remember I was hanging in Vandy when you came through Vandy and we were both fucking on the couch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the boys are still eating the boys training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Brian, it came to did you come to the tailgate one of those bus and tailgates?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you guys are wrapping up.
Speaker 2: I got we had just finished because he was we were hanging out. We did like, you know, some fat arm like like an armwork out with little dabber.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But man, it's been a couple of years, but you are now trying to get back in through long snapping. Explain the long snapping route.
Speaker 1: Well, so I always been like a backup long snapper. So like my high school d C he had like a couple of coffee with some NFL teams as a snapper, so he taught all of us in high school how to snap. So I was the backup at Northwestern. Oh yeah, but come on, I love it, but we need to get updated tapes. But uh, that's not the that's not the table on everybody to check. But anyway, we'll have the right straight. But so, actually, up in the CFL, uh our long snapper had an a c joint, So I snapped for four games in the CFL, and then in Houston, uh John Weeks had a hamstring one of the preseason games, so I snapped for a preseason game. So I've always kind of been the emergency guy. Has been like a back Yeah, I mean like it adds value like oh the kids, uh hustle linebacker. And then he also can be our emergency snapper. Maybe that's like the breaking point to keep me on a roster. So I mean, you know, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: People always make those little side comments say hey, you really want to play in the league and last in the league, like pick up long snap.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, you got these PUDs that will be long snappers.
Speaker 2: You know, no disrespect to the long snappers, but you'd be having guys run down the field after snapping the ball to go on punt. It's just like, all right, you get the punter and the long snapper. They don't necessarily count. There's nine guys a block on the field.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then so like that's where like Luke Rhoades with Indy is a linebacker, uh, converted long snapper or whatever, and he like he's been eating I think he was All Pro last year. And so like the special teams coach with the Texans was part of that transition. So like that's one of the contacts. And then I know a lot of special teams coaches around that I'm sending tape to and that kind of thing. Playing So you're back to the to the grind, to the emails.
Speaker 2: You're back to the emails. Fucking a I'm a dog. Yeah, check the snap tape.
Speaker 1: Check the tape. Yeah. So I'll match my physical fitness against any long snapper in the league any day of the week. So yeah, I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you do, like, I don't see why you potentially wouldn't get a shot because you can actually cover for sure.
Speaker 1: But it's it is a crazy skill, like the mastery of like hitting the hip every time online.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm not saying anybody can snap into account watching your your tape, Like I mean, if you continue to work on this, like why wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what That's what I'm hoping. That's what the boys having to Uh dude, you know, do you know I kicked off in the game too? No way. Yeah, So this is a crazy this is a this is a crazy freaking story too. So we're who were going going against the Vikings. This was uh Iso Larry Izzo was my special teams coach. It was his first year and we're playing the Vikings too. Liked Cordero Patterson, who's obviously a dog, absolute dog with and so I'm the R five and like we're trying to like playing like a on side kick. So like, hey, he's yeah. He's like the he is the R five. Can you come across the ball and like chip shot it over there? It's like, yeah, so I kicked it. He goes, can you pooch it over there? Pooched it over there? He goes, can you kick it deep? I go, yeah, coach, I kicked in high school and so yeah, so this is on a this yeah, this is on a Friday, just like on like the like the fast So I so I kick off and I reached the end zone on like just like my first kick, and he goes, do it again. So I kick it to the end zone again. And then he comes up to me after practice. He goes, I'm gonna run this by, coach, you want to kick off on Sunday? I go, hell, yeah, let's go. And then so he's hyped me up because, uh, Wes Welker kicked off for a few games back ons with the Dolphins. He goes, dude, Wes had three tackles a game. He goes, you just get a rover play linebacker. After the first wave of guys, I was like, all right, let's go. And so then it comes this is where it gets crazy, where now it comes to game day I'm super pumped, and I was like, hey, coach, should I go out and warm up? Like that kind of thing is now like you didn't want them practice were good, like this is a surprise, like we're like and like so he's like scheme and he's like he's he's he's a little scatterbrain me. He's the he's the man. Like he's like a player's coach once you like, once you cover and playing fast. He's a stud coach. I don't want to dog on him at all. But he, uh, he goes here, I got it. He goes, well, we'll set up a ball as you guys run out to uh run out for the start of the game. You're gonna warm up kick, then ball hit somewhere and they'll know where it came from. I was like, coach, that's ridiculous. I'm not doing that, but like but that's ride. But so anyway, so first kickoff, I kind of I didn't. I didn't kick it great, but it like like goes crazy, lands on like the end line and we tack them inside the twenty so and and then the the second kickoff, he goes, he goes, you can pooch it right, like he was a directional kick. It was like, yeah, coach the first team, mostake can make it rain out here? Yeah, And uh so, so I go to put the ball wherever you want. But so I pooch kick it and like it lands on like I think it's like the eight nine yard line with some height to it like a pro. And but I tear my quad on the second kick and so I like limp downing like swinging your leg the kick. Yeah, on that lockout, I popped my rectus memeris that muscle on the top. Oh, So I popped my quad and uh so I'm out for like four or five weeks. So that that was that was a tough injury to come back from because it's tough, like they're like the only people that hurt this muscle are like Olympic sprinters and kickers. I let's sell. Yeah. So that's that's my kicking story. So I've I've done the special teams gig for so I'm for the brand. I'm a Pat McAfee guy.
Speaker 6: We interrupt this episode to bring you an ad from our friends at Whistle Pig. Guys, I can't even tell you the distillers a whistle pig cut it loose. They're letting it go, giving it all to us. The Piggyback barrel age Rye smash this thing right here, power and a can right here. It's refreshing, nationally carbonated, and it's basically a it's a it's a mix between a whiskey cocktail and a seltzer. It's eight percent. Go ahead and sign me up for that. I don't think there's anything else out there like it. It's refreshing, it's bold, it's pretty balanced flavors, the fruit in it real quick.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's hey, that's a good point. JP.
Speaker 6: It is the Chevy Silverado uh of a whiskey slash, seltzer cocktail.
Speaker 1: And a can eight percent. Boom. There you go.
Speaker 6: It's bold, refreshing, grit and determination all the same thing. My favorite flavor is hands down the uh well, it's not this one, that's this one right here, fresh ginger lime, the BlackBerry lemon fizz is good in this session. Citrus mint right here. Pretty pretty solid. You know, I'd probably put it on the third on the list, but still pretty solid, all right, do me a favorite. Visit Piggyback Rye smash dot com for more info and make sure you grab a box and select stores. That's piggyback Rye smash dot com for more info. Go ahead and get you one of these, you know eight percent it's football season. Go ahead and let loose a little camp fire, you know, out on the boat, those of you that are in warm weather.
Speaker 1: But yeah, back to the episode love that Ship. Yeah, there's there's a bunch of have.
Speaker 2: You You don't say any teams, but have you had any success showing anybody your long snapping tape?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I had one. I had one. Workout said the skills there just needs a little more. Fine, So you've had to work out. I've had to work out. Yeah, let's fucking go yeah for the boys. Yeah, So how do you feel like? What? Like? What what is your head? Tel you? Because what I'm like, what I'm thinking about is all right, if I've been out of the league for two years? Yeah, do you think you think it's dead? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I'm starting to think, all right, do I need to start putting my energy in my focus and you know the stuff off the field. Do I need to just fucking put football to bed and go all in with this stuff and stop hanging on at the dream like, Hey, I'm trying to get back into the league.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like, what's what's going on through your head now? Like what's in your headspace now?
Speaker 1: For sure? Like and and I've tried to put football to sleep a few times. I uh, I do actually, so actually we left the league out. I've been in five leagues. I went to the XFL.
Speaker 2: Oh that.
Speaker 1: Was the best. Do you have that video? What video where I remember you?
Speaker 2: Because you got signed and you practiced and you did an interview and what did you say? You're like, yeah, I'm just ready to, you know, bust a couple of heads and put some tape back up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm coming back. I said something like there's an.
Speaker 2: Interview with the XFL and it's like an XFL fashion interview. He's like, you know, I'm just ready to like bust some heads and get back up on the field. I might be hyping it up too.
Speaker 1: Much, but it was something along those lines. It was something greaty. Now that's XBT, which is another whole different type of training. I got I got it somewhere on my Twitter or something. I'll get it cued up for you.
Speaker 4: And then you say that interview and then it all the XFL goes a ship.
Speaker 1: Well, so like it was, it was in full XFL fashion too. I was gonna start my first game because the starting linebacker before that threw a massive right hook at the running back, so he was suspended for the first half. So just a ship sho. But so you show up and then like so we're we're like heading to the bus to go play New York and Trump shuts everything down and so then the league folds and so I steal tape from that and send like the practice tape out whatever that look like like I've sent out some ridiculous tape over the years.
Speaker 2: I love the fucking commendment. You're sitting practice tape out?
Speaker 1: Oh dude, I need something like the big Oh dude, I have this whole other agent story because I flipped agents.
Speaker 2: Before you get into that, you said you tried five other leagues since the no I've been in five leagues.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about this other day, ARENA, UFL, CFL, NFL, XFL, like there's like, what I just need Mexico to have open up a league. Now go down there too, Like fuck dude, yeah, I mean it's like a fucking movie. It's ridiculous. You can make a movie out of that story.
Speaker 2: We might need to cut that out. We might need to edit this out and do our own thing. Just getting the tank, just getting the shark thing to think tank. If Mark Wahlber can have Invincible, Yeah, you know what I'm saying, we can. We can create some heat. Now, what actor is gonna play me?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: Uh? Fuck the way you're hanging on the way you still doing it like you're a shape.
Speaker 2: Fucking look at you, hey, Sean, as I say, look at you, drop a picture or drop a photo of its Instagram like when I say that for the fucking thing. But yeah, who would you want to play you? If you could, if you could have anybody play you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, right right mcconaughe would be tight. I'll take I'll take Jason Momo with the long hair. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some people try to tell me I look like the other Hemnsworth brother at one point when I had shorter hair Liam, Yeah, so that was trash. Yeah, I mean I'll take what. I'll take what I can get. Yeah, I think he pulls. So it's a good.
Speaker 2: Who's the the person that people say that the actor that looks like me is the different Jurassic Park Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh, Chris Pratt, do you guys think that people think the people think no, and people think like, oh, I can see it.
Speaker 1: I think more. Ryan Reynolds Garrett just smiles like this motherfucker dude, h ship Chris Pratt a little bit. It's just like it's just like the facial hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I take him. Listen, Yeah, I fucking take Chris.
Speaker 1: Goes punch for punch. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, it goes punch for punch, takes a lot of jokes on to the gin. Yeah, but no pause. It counts though what we're talking about. Before, I don't know, we went on a nice tangent. Hey get that fucking like we were like, do we still want this the saga of the Saga of Brian Peters to continue with the agent deal too? That was a whole ship show. Way is it now?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: This is a new agent and like I wanted like a little bit bigger agent, a little more greasy guy because I had no leverage because my last year I played hurt like I shot my ankle, I took thirty shots to the ankle, my last season, like like the thirty shots of the ankle and what were we talking about here quarters? Yeah, so like so I couldn't I really couldn't like feel my foot like the last ten games I played in the NFL, because like so they misdiagnosed me. They said, like I tore my deltoid ligament on the inside, that I could play. Three weeks later and we lost three linebackers and injury, so like I had a chance to start and play on defense, which I hadn't had in the NFL yet. So hustled back for the Bronx this Broncos game. Hey, Braves, your coach is Rabier. Braves has gone. This is twenty eighteen. He's here with the Titans now. So drug you in those linebacker meetings? Oh for real, Yeah he's but uh oh yeah dude, Uh I got some brave stories too. But but anyways, uh we all do. Yeah, if you know brave, well you have a story, even if you're a stranger. You see them straight. Yeah story. But no, so like the deltoy's on the inside of the ankle, But all my pain was on the outside, and I keep kept telling my trainers my pain's on the outside, I have no pain on the inside, like all, that's just the inflammation rolling over. So but I ended up so I ended up playing ten weeks on half an ankle that once they got in for like eventually my calf tour from overcomm stating for my ankle and I got they got in for surgery, and I had this condra lesion. I had this cartilage torn off the bone, and so I was playing with that the whole damn time. But but anyway, so shoot quarter.
Speaker 2: Zone Yeah, which is dumb as ship. Yeah yeah, yeah, terrible. Yeah, this is a terrible just a band aid. Yeah, exact was like the worst thing you can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then like I'm getting stem cells going into the PRP and that kind of thing. But anyways, so like I knew I had no leverage, like like like I'm coming off my worst season, Like you know, you can't play special teams if you don't have one hundred percent in the tank, like like I hadn't. I was running like ninety percent of top speed ninety five whatever, But you get buried if you don't have top speed agility. So I didn't put out a good tape regardless of point. Yeah, well, let me tell my story. Yeah, that's the story I tell myself. It's not like you need insane top speed but example right, yeah, but but anyways, Uh, so I switched agents I wanted, like because the last deal I got from my last one year deal, I wasn't ecstatic about it, and so I was like, all right, I need someone more contacts this time around and try and get deals. So this guy sold me I like I had met him through one of my uh Northwestern buddies and probably my least favorite human. So I'm gonna try and like temper myself a little bit. But so he tells a new agent. This new agent, so he tells me all these things like he can do for me, gives me a timeline for like when we think we're gonna get signed, what conversation's gonna have, And so I hold him accountable to these things like hey, like Combine's over, like where are your conversations at? And he's like he's like saying like Tennessee and other things where like like like I didn't think Braves was a massive fan of me, so I didn't think he was gonna try and get me there or anything like that. So I was like let's work on other avenues. And then like I'm so, I call him like two three times a week. Sometimes they're saying, hey, what's up, Like anything happening, like not big conversations, and then eventually, like one of his other guys fires him, and I was cool with him. So we were talking and then at one point, like I was like, hey, what's going on? Like like you said, like we'd have like opportunities by now, and I got to give him a lot to work with this so like in hindsight, maybe I wasn't the best client either. But he goes, if you want to fire me, to go ahead, and I go, I'm not trying to fire you. I'm trying to figure out what's going on. And so we have this conversation. It was a real rough conversation, and then like the next time we talked, I ended up firing him and going back to my old agent. But dude, this conversation with this agent was out of control. He goes. He goes, you're a northwestern guy, like you're supposed to be high character. Everybody's gonna know you have terrible character now now that you fired me. He goes, I'm gonna know forever, Like he goes, if you become the CEO of FedEx, he goes, I'm gonna know that you still have You're a terrible person, you have terrible character, like just lays into me. I was like, listen, dude, like I'm not trying to like make this a thing like if like you've obviously worked for me, I'll pay you for your time and that kind of thing. He goes, he was, he was, I don't want your money, he goes. He goes, I've been in this league or this business for fourteen years. You're gonna need the money more than I do. Blah blah blah. Just goes him. This day, Yeah he's still agent this day. Name ed was Lusky It let's fucking go. Yeah. So but anyways, that was yeah, that was no no blano. But anyways, switch back to my agent, got some calls, got got a few workouts worked out for the Saints, like, but things didn't things didn't work out.
Speaker 2: I think we were at the same workout. Oh wait, no, no, no, you worked out before or after me. Uh you might have worked out after. I think you worked out after Yeah, this is like week three. Yeah, yeah, maybe maybe for your spot oh I think. Yeah, I forget who the linebackers were because I know when I got hurt. That's when the Saints I traded for Keiko Alonso. Yeah yeah, yeah, And then you were there with like who was Mark Barron? Was Mason Foster there? No, I never made the team, like I just worked.
Speaker 1: I'm saying at the workout. No, no, no, no, this is uh Ray Ray Armstrong was there? Ray Ray Armstrong? That's right, yes, right then he then he signed on it. It was like week two or three or something. Yeah. Yeah, but yeah, so that's my last juicy stories you got about Billy Oh Billy Oh oh wow, that's an you can tell. I mean, there's not like a it's not like there's not like crazy stories by any means. Like he mean, he he's a he's a tough coach, but he's like he's fair in the same sense like where he just always I think, got wired up to play the Patriots and that kind of thing. That's where my favorite stories are, Like when he'd like when he'd come in and like try and impersonate Tom Brady's cadence, like he'd he'd come in like on the stage of the defensive room, and start goes listen, Tom does all this stuff. He goes when he points, he doesn't means he's pointing sometimes, and like he goes through like all Tom's cadences and just goes, ham, so did he got wired up for the Patriots games? And that kind of thing. But other than that, there's not too many crazy stories like me and him weren't crazy tight or anything like that. Like I was his guy early because I was productive and then my production dropped off. I wasn't this guy, which is what have you done for me lately? Kind of league? But yeah, yeah, but no, he don't.
Speaker 4: Want to Yeah, you don't want to give a little juice, a little juicy story.
Speaker 1: There's no juicy. Oh you're you're referred to the other story where he's No, I'm just like any anybody that's like, uh, played for coach O.
Speaker 2: It's it's not been like favorable outlooks on the culture and the organization and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not gonna say organization the culture of Billy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he'd I mean, he'd like he like he has his crazy one line standard and if you're off that, like if you don't practice enough, if you like all these kind of things like you're not like you're not his guy, and he'll he'll single you out in meetings and that kind of stuff. But he like he progressed as a coach fantastic while I was there too, Like we got there and like you know how like in meetings like we're like, I don't know if they do this anyway coach.
Speaker 2: Essentially you get mad if you're not like one of his guys. Who gets who'll get like praise or.
Speaker 1: Get It's pretty clear clear cut with him, Like he like he doesn't bullshit a lot, like you know, if he's your guy, you're his guy or not. Yeah, that kind of thing. And he because he demands like a standard up performance and like guys that like so like initially when I got there, like I think it was like Thursday or Friday, Like he has his like hour long quiz, so he's quizzing everybody in the room special teams, offense, defense on different scenarios, different jobs and that kind of stuff like who's the like best petch teams, like who's the punter And if a guy doesn't know, he just he'll keep burying you until you get some right or peters what's the fucking right answer or something like that. Yeah. Yeah, and then but like we we we had some we had we had some funny ass bits about it too though, because he like he also like gauged the level of difficulty on the question to the person he was asking the question too. It's super funny. So be like cush what's their top three runs? And like whatever, pro I write whatever. All these things then like Jayalen Jalen, we got like if if if you if you run out and he throws your ball, do you do you do you catch it? Yeah? You catch it? Just goes him on it.
Speaker 2: But does that a little bit? I mean they might get it from like Belichick. Yeah, like the team keys, the understanding your person.
Speaker 1: It's a great tool for accountability. Like I'm just trying to tell the stories. But like he like but like all that stuff is necessary. And then like I also think like it like if you can't like if you know the information, you can't relay it in a meeting, like you're gonna be a liability, right, So like if if you don't know again, like say they switch out a wing or a punter, like all those things, like the like little details like you're gonna get exposed at one point. If you can't do it, I mean, you're not gonna do it on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we interrupt this episode to tell you about our friends over at cross Country Mortgage. Man, cross Country Mortgage fires me up because you know, I love deals and cross Country Mortgage helps you get the deals and helps you save the money.
Speaker 1: Listen.
Speaker 3: Much like us at Barstool, cross Country Mortgage is a people first group of people. They're dedicated to the fundamentals of mortgage lending, which results in a fast, convenient, and less stressful home financing or refinancing experience.
Speaker 1: Main talking points.
Speaker 3: Rates are unbelievably low, don't pay the bank more money than you need to. Yeah, our friends over at cross Country Mortgage make it super simple to figure out how much you can save on a monthly basis and over the life of your loan. The numbers can be staggering, and you don't know how much you can save unless you actually talk to an expert and figure it out. Yeah, it's the next one. If you're a homeowner and have it refinanced recently, you may be leaving thousands, if not tens of thousands. Heck, who knows could be hundreds of thousands of dollars on the table over the life of the loan that could be working for you in other places, like your new man cave makeover, second or investment home purchase if you want to become a real estate investor, or maybe you just have a boatload of cash in your pocket to go gamble on your favorite sports team. Shout out Las Vegas Raiders quick talking points. The rates are at an all time low. They may never get this low again. Call today for a fast free rate quote. Our partners will save you a lot of money. Call today and our friends at cross Country Mortgage will give you a free home valuation that is free free. They tell you nothing is life, nothing in life is free, but that's not true because cross Country Morgan is cross Country Mortgage is letting you do this for free, just for calling for free for free. Uh go to CrossCountry Mortgage dot com slash barstool. To learn more about your future home buying experience or refinance your current mortgage, you go to CrossCountry Mortgage dot com slash barstool. I'll scroll down some cross Country Mortgage LLC and m l S three zero two nine all loan subject to underwriting approval. That's w W dot n m LS Consumer access dot Org. Back to the episode, like subscribe, leave a comment Ray five stars and put in the comments that you want to see Garrett on Cameramore.
Speaker 1: Yeah so you got any uh you you played with Cush? Did you play with Cush?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Cause he's your boy. Cush has like a legend out there, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: He's like, there's like this legend about Cush because he's obviously got popped a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Like he's got the bloody photos, he's got this, he's got this about Yeah. Yeah, yeah, what's what's Cush like? Cush is the man, dude. He I always like, I always respect him just because he like guys that like train their ass off in the gym, Like I always kind of gravitated towards too. Yeah. Oh yeah, dude.
Speaker 2: But so like like when he was on sc with mal A Luga and all those boys and Taylor Mays. But who's the linebacker course Clay Matthews, Yeah, mal A Luga, Brian Cushing. There's another one who played for the Bengals for a long time. Yeah, not not Maluga. Another one that was like right before mal Luga, not the Bengals a long time, but it was, uh, we'll figure it out, but.
Speaker 1: Anyway, but no, your coach like yeah, but like so like people see like the fac like it's not a facaet he puts on. Like the dude's tough as nails. He like like he like if he's there, he's on, like he like he he it's dude, he's a fucking warrior like so he like and like if once you like get to know him and get into his mindset to like the dude treats a football game like a street fight, like that's what he wires his brain. Four crazy New Jersey best Oh crazy New and this dude, Uh, there's so many stupid nuanced stories to cush too, where like I don't think he timed it perfectly, but he did it a lot where I think he timed it. So every time we had the team prayer in the shower, Coush would be in there puking his guts out. He peaks for every game, just puking his guts out, and then like he'd be like, screw Peters. I threw up the ko Q twelve pill. The whole pill Like yeah, but he's the man he but did he like he like that's like that's his deal. Like he's physically plays tough, like he gets the job done. He's uh like yeah he has this like I mean like the legend and like he's like this crazy strong He's an incredibly strong human. Yeah, but he like he's he's earned all that, like like he's he's very respected. Oh yeah, he's fully respected. But yeah he's dude, I mean look at him, dude, look shah. The prayer showers are the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like they'd be like all right, you know, you got all the rap music playing, like the murdering songs, this, that and the other. It's like all right, prayer and shower and the music goes down and it pretty much essentially everybody gets stuff there you go. It's just I don't know, it's just prayer in the shower. It's where I have no clue.
Speaker 1: Why is it the show just the only empty space because like not everybody comes to prayer either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not everybody goes to prayer. So if you're just doing the locker room around people who don't go to prayer, yeah, and I'll just be like yelling them knock yourself. Hey, tell the prayer where Jesus woofs their ass. They're going back there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And.
Speaker 2: Then you get done with the prayer, and then you come back and then you turn the rat music back up.
Speaker 1: You're ready to go out there and murder somebody. You go, put the women and children to sleep, the sins come. Yeah. Yeah, to get right with God.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk about mind strong and we'll get into because you're also trying to get into the podcast or with Chasing Edges. But talk a little bit about mind strong and your your journey with this whole breath work, performance, human performance, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. It uh low key. So it started that when I was down in Houston like twenty sixteen, like the team was paying for us do the sensory deprivation chamber like the float tanks, and I was in there and I was just bullshit like trying to hold my breath as long as I could. So I get out and google how do you hold your breath longer? And it was like free diving and whim Hoff method. So I started going deep into those and I like I went from like holding my breath from a minute to like three minutes, three and a half, and I started like getting really good at holding my breath for whatever damn reason. Yeah. And then my buddy at the same time, Harvey Martin, was up in Minnesota, and he was going through the wim Hoff stuff, like he's like transitioning out of the baseball world, and it was like kind of picking him up emotionally, like like his physiology everything. He was feeling good and like it became like a tool for him to like get through what he was going through. And then he started applying it to sport up there. He was a pitching coach, so he started applying it to baseball players. But like, so at the time, I was doing the free diving and the wim Hoff stuff. And that's when Luke Richardson came into Houston, the strength coach took over for Yeah. So and so we're down there and he comes down and he assesses the team and realized and he comes to conclue that we're unfit to run. He does like the FMS scores and like the nord Board hamstring strength tests and stuff and says like, you guys aren't fit to run yet. We need to work on firing pattern, trigger pointing, glute strength, all these things. So and he gave the whole state of union, like nobody runs outside of here. If you run, I don't care if you're JJ Watt, DeAndre Hopkins. Nobody runs until I say so. And so nobody's running. And but I'm doing this breath work stuff at the time, just like staying busy. And then I kind of found this XPT pool training and stuff at the same time. And so then once we do start running a month later, we do like a warm up run one day and the next day we run conditioning and dude, I'm like, my conditioning levels still nails, Like I mean, you're not running. This is you not running? Yeah, without running, And we walk into our first conditioning day and like I'm out running all linebackers and I'm running with the DB's like I'm crushing some of the DB's and I'm like there's something like there's something here. How long were you not running again, Like explain this about a month?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so like a month no running, you're just doing breath work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we're doing breath Then we're doing strength training in the gym, like we're doing hamstring eccentrics, we're doing glute activations as far as no, I'm not doing anything besides like my breath work stuff, and so I all right, there's something here. And then that's when like me and my buddy Harvey started to put together this mind Strong project to where like how can breath improve sports performance? And so like people in the world then where this dude Brian McKenzie, Lard Hamilton and his wife Gabby Gabby Reese, and like there's not a lot of people in this breath world. So like it's kind of like we're starting to figure out that this is like a missing pillar of human performance, right and so and now then eventually, like as you get into the weeds of it, it's not human performance just like being a good, clean human being in the first place. You start learning about mouth breathing and versus nasal breathing and what actual like calm breathing does to the mind. And then like how like if you are a mouth breather, how you're more like more likely to like so I know you take your mouth, yeah yeah, so like you're more likely for sleep apnea and stress and anxiety and all these things. And so we start asking why, and like these mentors in the the realm, we're able to answer these questions for us. And eventually we did our own research, so you got like the auction advantage, you got all these books in the art of it too, and then we started demoing all these meditation methods and stuff, and eventually it became this human performance company where we're teaching breath work to teach mental skills. So not only are we improving your performance and your VO two max and stuff with breath work. Now, like if you can control your breath and your physiology, you can actually control your psychology. And they're tied very closely together. So like kind of our stance on it is like psychologies unresolved physiology, like your heart rate and your respiratory rate tell the brain that you're safe and you can solve problems. If not, you regress and you can't solve problems. And I think that shows up in football too, like guys that are too amped up, or like young kids that can't like they know what to do, they know how to play cover three, they know how to play man to man all day, but they freak out like they're probably not breathing and they're not calm. They don't understand that, like the breath is a tool to down regulate and focus and things like that. So we've created this company around those skills and so we can improve your athletic performance and then we can like help you get control of your sports so you're a sports I college and your mental skills too. So it's been it's been a cool little little journey. We started that like back in twenty fifteen loosely, and then it like it built as we got deeper and deeper into breath work.
Speaker 2: And now you guys are getting into professional sports, right, Yeah, so we're starting to get to the level of working with professional athletes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we we were the first breath coach and the MLB we have a contract as the breast specialists for the San Francisco Giants, who are number one right now. Shout out to the Giants, to the boys. And then where we got a bunch of NHL guys. They've they've gravitated towards it because I mean VO two max is like the standard for hockey because their wark capacity is so high. Yeah, so we have about like six seven NHL guys that work with us pretty regularly. Definitely do like the full off season program and that kind of thing. And then we got a few pitchers around the MLB too. But yeah, so it's grown and it's got some traction and people like the cool thing about is you can feel it, Like like we went through a little bit of something this morning, me and you, the hypoxic work. But like it's just like it's it's a tool.
Speaker 2: Right if I'm an athlete talking to you or just anybody anybody listening to, Like, what's a simple explanation about why people should be curious about breathing correctly? Yeah, I mean in breath performance and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like like you can start from the like the principles of it, like like why should you breathe them through your mouth versus your nose? And when like like if you're fighting somebody, yeah, breathing through your mouth all day, Like the primary benefit of breathing through your mouth is to get more auction in and out. But now you start talking about this how you breathe throughout the day, like that that compounds more than anything, like if your mouth breathing all day, Like, so the mouth, the mouth is digestive, the nose is respiratory. Like that's how atomic anatomically worked build That's how God built us. So if you're breeding through your nose, the air is getting cleaned, humidified, you have the ability to access nitric oxide. You breed into the belly, which is the bottom of the lung. You strengthen the diaphragm and the pelvic floor. If you're breathing, breathing properly through your nose and so like, now that's spine alignment and stability. Like there's a bunch of like fundamental benefits to just properly breathing, good breathing mechanics. And then now if you want to be an athlete and you want to be a dog, now you like address your relationship with oxygen and carbon dioxide. Like it doesn't matter if you're four hundred pounds or you're one hundred and fifty pounds. I put an oximiner on your finger that reads the auctionyen in your blood. It's going to be ninety five to ninety nine unless you're you have some lung disorder. So the problem is not having oxygen, it's how well you use it. So that now becomes your relationship with co too, Like the byproduct of what you burn. Like after you burn, the auction becomes combon to oxide, you achale it out and you can you can control and train that tolerance, so longer you can control higher levels of COE too. The longer you can work, and your VO two mex goes up, and now you can run longer. And like how like me and like my buddy Nate, after like that you keep the you keep the dark place away from you longer like you can. It's just like that mental giant like or that mental demon that comes on your shoulder like no, you're too tired and that kind of stuff, like you can keep that farther away. Yeah, So like that's kind of how we view it, right.
Speaker 2: Because I'm asking from a stance too, if like if if an athlete's like listening, like if you're just sitting there like just some meat hit like okay, why would I incorporate breathing into my stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's why I ask, Like a simple example that could make somebody think and be like yo, I should get curious about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going into performance, Yeah, it's just like even simpler. Look at it as MMA fighting, Like you see a guy you can tell when somebody's dead tired because their mouth breathing heavy body language shows it. Like the guys that are cool, calm and collected and bringing to their nose like they last longer. Like the goals to breathe less that the guy who breathes the least is probably gonna win. Like if you can't breathe, you can't fight. If you can't get auction to the muscle, you can't fight, Like if you can't run like your if your legs are dead, can't fight. And you can train your tolerance to that level of CO two that you build up in your legs or your arms or whatever body part you're using for your sport. So it's and it's something you can do without wearing a tear in the body. Like you don't have to go bang and run one hundred yard sprints all the time. Work in some breath work, get comfortable with higher levels of CO two with XO and things like that, and you can improve your aerublic capacity. It's been proven time and time and again. Yeah, that's awesome. Yeah, it's just a tool. Yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: For me, the book that you put me on was the oxygen advantage. If somebody was a start. Would that be the book you would put everybody on to start looking getting curious outside of obviously following at mindstream project and shouting out the minestron project.
Speaker 1: You guys actually have an app too, right, Yeah, we were also with this Kodjabi app. But yeah, so you can access and buy membership for monthly like breath coaching and some mobility work and primal stuff.
Speaker 2: So if people were interested in getting involved with the Minestrong project, where would they go?
Speaker 1: They would download the Kujabi app. Yeah, so they'll just go to the website and signs you up and it gives you all the instruct go to your guys' websit dot com and they'll send it take you care, take care of you from there.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but but some practical things you can do reading oxygen advantage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like that's the place to start, because it breaks down like the oxygen co two relation about it, Yeah, the bore effect and then as far as like the taping your mouth at night. Like now, like if you look at it practically, like every breath helps or hurts you, so like if you breathe them through your mouth, that like the mouth breathing trigger is fighting fighting fighting flight is sympathetic nervous system. Nervous system triggers parasympathetic rest and digest So do you want to tell yourself all night while you're sleeping that you're safe or that you're fighting, Like, if you're fighting, you're not gonna get into that deep sleep consistently. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know for me when I started taping my mouth shut due to you putting me on the auction page and tell me about it.
Speaker 1: Shut out the boy, But for me, like where my whoop? Where my whoop?
Speaker 2: When I go to sleep and everything, getting my like getting all the data back, the stats back the night after, my respiratory weight rate would go way down, my.
Speaker 1: Restling hardweight rate would go way down.
Speaker 2: I like I'd be in the fifties in the minute I started taping, I started getting in the high forties, and then after a.
Speaker 1: Few weeks I'm done in like the low forties. Savage.
Speaker 2: Obviously that goes with like workout routine and stuff like that, but this is something I'm consistently doing in anyway. So just the benefits that I was quickly seeing from taping my mouth shut at night and being conscious of the way I breathe throughout the day. Like I'll sit there and driving my truck or I'm driving in the nice Chevy Silverado, and uh, I'll just notice how I'm breathing. Like if my mind scrambled and I'm thinking about busting a lot and I'm thinking about whatever my next workout routine is, or juggling ball or just any of that stuff, I'll realize that my breasts are a little shorter, I'm in my chest a little bit more. I'm actually breathing a little bit more out of my mouth when I'm thinking about a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: My head's full of jargon, for sure.
Speaker 2: And when you sit there and slowly and you start just being conscious about breathing through your nose, breathing, breathing into your stomach, it is crazy how much how much we're mouth breathers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's but it's that first level of awareness you get, like so like like right the first time that I was at that conditioning day with the Texans, I heard people breathing for the first time, and I knew I wasn't breathing that hard. So I was like, all right, I'm cool, Like this is like I'm about to bury the Yeah yeah, and like that's weakness, like and and fighters see the same thing. You see a guy dog tired, mouth breathing, like all right, blood in the heat off, yeah, blood in the water. He says, fucking cut his head off. Let's go off. Yeah, you said, Connor, get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 4: Bloss with that negativity, dude, we'll talk about I know, it's just.
Speaker 1: All the time. He just I thought Connor looked good. And obviously yeah, clearly.
Speaker 4: He was nasal breathing because he got up swinging.
Speaker 1: So you were Connor and he was poor. Yeah, yeah, he was poor. Yeah, okay, yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: And then and then Bloss is like a troll on the internet and just like you know.
Speaker 1: You guys all got some trolling. You got some fantastic trolling skills like that, Like your trolling skills are elite. I appreciate. Yeah, all the all the boys on the bus have.
Speaker 3: That rowback active where you all know roeback, best fit, best feel, And it's football season, the best season, which means it's also hoodie season. Luckily for you guys, robot robot roaback just restock their performance hoodies. And I'm not kidding when I say these are the absolute softest, highest quality hoodies in the game. I have allmine in the washing machine right now. That's why I don't have it on right now. But the material is out of this world soft and the stretch is unmatched. Nobody does hoodies like Rowback. Roadback also just dropped new performance Polos, and trust us when we say the designs are fresh, perfect for the golf course or a night out with your lady, they scream versatility. You go out with Roeback, you might come home with more more than.
Speaker 1: Just one lady. Yes, sir, but team faithful.
Speaker 3: We've worn these Polos one hundred times and the collars still look brand new and the fabric is just so soft. Roeback's gear is popping up all over the NFL. Our Boy Quentin Nelson, Sam Hubbard Rowback Quentin Nelson and Sam Hubbard wear Rowback. Rodback is quickly becoming the go to active We're in the league. They also have two of the biggest apparel sponsorships in college sports, with Notre Dame is Kyle Hamilton and Georgia quarterback JT. Daniels officially joining the Roadback team. It's fair to say that Roebacks gear is popping up all over the place. So if you play football or you're a football fan, you wear Roadback. Simple as that call to action. Use the code busting that's b U S S I N on roadback dot com for a generous generous sound like will twenty percent off your first order that spelled r HO b A c K dot com. That's twenty percent off your first order on all polos, q zips, hoodies and t's with code busting hop on the Roeback trade now because it's taken off, So go check them out at rodback dot com.
Speaker 1: Do it for the boys.
Speaker 2: Listening to any any of that stuff that he's talked about, does any of the boys have any questions about his journey or any of that that breathing shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well just to comment, like, as y'all started talking about it more, I started noticing myself.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm about to just breathe through my nose. There you go, And then like five minutes later, I'm like, oh my god, yeah, breath Well there's more resistance there through the nose initially, but like also the nasal cavity is like if you don't use it, you lose it things, So you have to keep sending stimulus there to open up the nasal cavity. If your mouth breathing and a lot of things trigger mouth breeding. If you eat like shit, like your stomach is solving a problem, it needs more auction to solve a problem. Like oxygen is an anti bacterial, anti viral too. It's just a lot of things compound into it, and you can solve a lot of your problems with your breath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, no, I was gonna ask about these ice bats too that we've been looking at.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gid y up. Oh bro, this is my man.
Speaker 2: Brian will walk out into the wilderness frozen, whether he's in Alaska, Montana, anywhere up north. He'll find a laker river nearby, frozen on top. He'll bring a shovel, he'll bring a pick axe, he'll chop a hole into it, and you'll go and sit in this cold ass fucking yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's finny.
Speaker 2: So yeah, the cold shit like look up cold shower benefits. That's small stuff. But this this, you do this shit, I'm like, yo, you're just on a completely different level with this cold therapy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, yeah, like yeah, for sure. So like we like with mindstrong, we use it as a tool, Like how can we put you in a stressful environment and show you that breath work is a tool. So like the first we'll put you in the ice, which is like what we call that, like our stadium, like a stadium with eighty thousand people with music bumping and you, responsibility and eyes on you, like attention. All those things are stressors. So that's the only stress that we can make similar to that. So we'll put you in there, and like a lot of people's first response is a short shut like that, and like that's a problem. That's not a tool, Like you're hurting yourself. So like we we'll teach you again the relationship, how to dump CO two so that the next breath, the auction gets in, calms the system gets to the cell. And so now like the breasts a tool to beat the cold, to beat the stress, and you can use that in a stadium, you can use that in the ice. You knew all the things, but like it's just yeah, like if you if you can't breathe an environment, you can't own the environment. If you can't breathe in a position you can't own the positions the same in weightlifting and that kind of thing. But no, like the honestly, like the reason I love the the ice so much is it's forced meditation for me. Like, like ice sucks every time. It doesn't matter how many times I've done it that nobody wants. The hardest part is like the thirty seconds before you get in that thing.
Speaker 2: You no question, I'll wake up, tell myself, I'm gonna hit a cold shower the next morning, I'll wake up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you're start turning it up to that heat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're fine when you get in though, Like it's not it's not the end of the world every time, like, but.
Speaker 4: For sure, but when you get in, you're little you know, you're a little cold, you're a little naked, you're a little.
Speaker 1: Afraid, you know right when you.
Speaker 2: Know, when you turn that when you turn that knob, dude, and that cold just hit you. Yeah, it's just but yeah, once you get past, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: But like and like there's not a crazy soup and amount of benefits to the ice by itself because it's like a vaso constrictor and that kind of thing. But like you get the uh, the focus and the awakeness from the narrow up and nefferent hit and that kind of thing. And it's it's also like it's like making your bed, like it's something you don't want to do, but you should do it. Start shut yourself out with some accomplishment, that kind of thing. But like, but like the three minutes and the ice, especially in nature, just like forced meditation, like I'm not anywhere else, I'm there. I'm focusing on my breath and and it's chilling. Then once you get out, like your your numb anyways, like getting your legs and the cold type your legs numb up and you don't feel anything after a minute anyways, So you'll get out from there and I'll do some breath work after.
Speaker 2: I get out of But I mean you're sitting in their neck up, yeah, neck up, Like what kind of benefit do you have from that cold water immersion?
Speaker 1: It's just more you know what I'm saying, you're kind of you're.
Speaker 2: Kind of like just going over it, saying there's not a lot of there's not tremendous benefit, but there is in cold water.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Yeah. Yeah, So obviously one the first you control the breath. It's like it's an immune system booster, but like it's it's literally like again, like I just call it forced meditation. Like but like so now if you if you, if you want to get deeper into it, I don't know how deep you want to get to, like the cold chalk and heat chop proteins. But like I primarily use ice now as a contrast on a recovery day, gotcha, And then like I'll use it like cold chower to wake up in a cold chower, to go to bed to get my body temperature down.
Speaker 2: What kind of recovery methods do you use, like with hot cold cold? I do the sauna, So explain what?
Speaker 1: Yeah there, yeah, so like that's where you see some crazy benefits and it's like it's a great flush recovery. But so you start three minutes in the cold, you get a heavy sweat, try and get your heart right up above one twenty in the sauna, get a good sweat gone, another three minutes in the cold, you'll go neck up.
Speaker 2: In the cold, right yep, every time, and then you'll go straight from the cold, you'll get in the hot sauna.
Speaker 1: A traditional sauna are we talking in for it traditional sauna. They give a little hot.
Speaker 2: Like two ten, and then you'll try to work up get your heart rate up over one twenty. So for how long do you get in the sauna?
Speaker 1: The saunas like it depends on the temperature, Like it's two hundred, you can get you can be out in fifteen minutes. If not, it bleeds on a little longer. And everybody's different too, everybody responds to the heat differently. So but so it's three rounds, so three three touches of the ice. But the last round of the ice is just uh usually just a dunk or like a dunk and hold your breath underwater under the ice tub for a little bit. Do you finish in the ice? You finish in the ice for recovery. But like the big thing there is like what people don't realize is it's it turns into a workout. Like some of our hockey guys will burn like seven to nine hundred calories sit like going because usually the cycle takes around an hour. And these guys like like again, where you burn a lot of your calories is your cardiovascular system and you have all these little muscles on like the veins and arteries that vaso constrict vasodilite heart rate gets up in the heat. Then you get back in vaso constrict and you're working these little muscles and you end up burning. Like it taxes your nervous system, but like you'll sleep like a baby after it. It's phenomenal. And then then you're also like you're killing weak cells like like the cold, like the cold shock proteins, heat chark proteins. Just start becoming like a tougher human to kill. Yeah, yeah, a tougher human to kill. I mean you get the juice flowing, right, but now there's yeah, but now there's like all these life metaphors and all this like primal step back where like we're not meant to live in ac We're not supposed to go from seventy degrees in our house to our car to work to our car and home. Like we have energy systems in our body to fight the cold and the heat, but we don't use them anymore. So like where does that energy system go? Like some people say it's like the autoimmune diseases, whatever the hell, but like that's all here's but like like it makes you more comfortable in extreme environment, So why would you not train yourself that way? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Practically just to get this recovery method out there. Three minutes in the ice neck up yep, fifteen minutes probably around fifteen minutes in the sauna, three minutes again in the ice neck up yep. Fifteen to twenty in the sauna again yep, and then you'll land what's just completely immerging yourself to a breath hole under water, Just take a dip fully in yep, and then you'll get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and dude, you'll like something like some people feel high after like you like, it's just like a really cool feeling. Dude, it's a you gotta feel it.
Speaker 2: The Ben Greenfield, his one would be uh, his one was like fifteen minutes in the in the heat, five minutes in the cold, fit in the basically three rounds and you would end on a cold shower. Yeah, so similar, the same kind of thing. Yeah, and doing it in training camp especially all like on an off day, bro, you do feel incredible.
Speaker 1: All that Like that pump you're getting in your veins and arteries and stuff, it like flushes out your soreness. I got like I tweak my back dead lifting the other day and like I'd hit my son and ice and like it starts. There's a noticeable difference between before and now. Noticeable. It's crazy, it does.
Speaker 2: It feels really good when like you know, you drop when when we'll drop our stones and actually do the cold water submersion like for real, because sometimes you're just like, fuck, I'm not just trying to get I'm not trying to completely emerge myself underwater.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Because we'll like stand in the cold tub, like Taylor, we call ourselves like account of Bill buddies back in like eighteen when we were on the Titans uh together even this year too though before you know he had his acl But you know, you go from the sauna. But in COVID this year the saunas were shut down so you couldn't activate those facilities. But when we do it, you'd sit there and be in the sauna together and then you'd be in the cold tub and you back, hey, are you gonna go under water? Yeah, like I don't know, not today man, And then you just emerge yourself down in the cold water. You get in like the steam room. But you do you feel absolutely incredible? Yeah, do we have anything else, And then you also touch on there's been a banger pod?
Speaker 1: How long we went?
Speaker 5: Uh, you're at an hour and twenty six minutes.
Speaker 4: Time flies when you're having fun, boy, I was gonna you've been rolling.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask about so, you know, like chiropractors and stuff like that, the like I guess you can get your nose adjusted or you can open up your your airways. Have you seen that done with like the balloon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little bit. I haven't done it myself, so I can't like.
Speaker 4: Are you not a chiropractor guy? The way you kind of just chuckled right there.
Speaker 1: No, I'm you know chiropractice. I was just I was intrigued. I was intrigued at the next step on that that conversation. Now I've done more like the TMJ work where they like adjust like the fashon around your jaw and like inside your mouth and your tongue and stuff. That stuff I think works fantastically.
Speaker 2: But no, Taylor's alluded to doing something like that, like stuff inside of his mouth and yeah, ship to where he'll like move his hand like just do some like uh just weird kind of ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your fashion pattern starts in the mouth, so like it's a good place to start. Then I have my jaw obviously, so I constantly like just like kind of RPR through my like my fashion, my neck and stuff. So like you just find a bunch of sore spots. But dude, when they get their fingers and your like they'll put gloves on the stubble when they get your fingers and dig into your cheeks and stuff like that sounds it bites. But then like but then like you realize, like but like like like how often do you like go through like grinding your teeth and like clenching or whatever. You don't really know, but like once they open that up, you're just like, oh wow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was doing my uh that RPR stuff that we've talked about, what does r PR stand for? By the way, you know you're the leader, you're right now. But when I was getting assessed in r PR, I was a jaw driver. You're like there's like a few different drivers, and I was like a jaw driver. So anything something happened, I'm like clenching at my jaw, but and.
Speaker 1: The dude would just rub The dude would be rubbing my jaw out. That sounds real. No pause, but that shit hurts. Yes, that shit fucking hurts.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? Blast?
Speaker 4: Sorry blashes threw up on the on the YouTube's he threw up somebody?
Speaker 1: Is that what you're talking about? That's adjustment you're talking about? That looks like a clean nose break.
Speaker 5: Cody Garbrant, he's a UFC fighter.
Speaker 4: Hey, where we hearing that? You get a speaker back here?
Speaker 5: What Yeah, they're hanging on your microphone. Oh yeah, yeah, But Cody Garbrant, he's a UFC fighter. And uh, this is kind of how I first learned about it on uh on YouTube. He does this before any fight. He just kind of opens up his airway with that uh, with that tool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh fuck. I'm mentioned to see if he's holding his breath while he does that, Like, how do how do they keep the pressure there? Who is it? What's his name?
Speaker 5: Cody Garbrant.
Speaker 4: He reached out to him, m dude, fly like asking questions.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he's he's just putting like he was on the Ultimate Fire.
Speaker 1: He putting.
Speaker 5: He's putting guys through it. Yeah, it's something that he did before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but the point is, like that space in the body is malleable, like you like you can improve it. That looks terrible, man, I know, it.
Speaker 2: Just got you so conscious of breathing and like touch and touching sensitive spots on your jaw.
Speaker 1: There was a so was doctor Serrano.
Speaker 2: There was like like that that dog whistle sound, you know what I mean, like depending like the supersonic sound I would get in my ear every now and then it would just like come and go to where I'd be like death for a second. I'd hear like the super sounding noise kind of come through my ear to bring the sound back in my ear.
Speaker 4: And I was obviously nervous about it, like yeah, what the fuck's going on?
Speaker 2: And wondering if there's like you know, the first thing you think of as a full players like brain stuff or like CTE and ship like that reaching out to Serrano and he's talking, He's sending me videos like working my jaw out and stuff, and I mean.
Speaker 1: It didn't work. It didn't work.
Speaker 2: It did work because I was this was happening probably a few times a week, and it was kind of starting scare me a little bit. And uh, you know, obviously doctor Serrouno, he's just a mad scientist. Yeah, went away, But this shit is crazy, Like all this stuff that we're sitting here talking about. Hopefully people are still tuned in and like juiced up about it. Like me, if I'm hearing this kind of stuff on the podcast, I'm so locked in. It's got me like reading whatever. Like when I when we refer to oxygen advantage, like the shit's already bought. Like that's usually how like I work. If I hear something, I get super curious about it. I'm like ready to go all in on trying to figure it out. Because like you with the podcast, you're being called chasing edges, like you're finding these edges you're trying to like chase and just be better. Yeah, you're trying to, like, yo, that'll make this seems like it'll make me a better athlete or perform better. Like I need to fucking do it because that's like the one percent I can get.
Speaker 1: Better, yeah guaranteed, And I just want to like that. Like like that got started back when I was like in the arena ball is like like I need an edge like it. So eventually I was like to keep chasing edges and I found more things to improve on, and now I just want to know, like what all these other athletes and doctors are doing just to optimize performance, because like I think, like competition like breeds this really cool curiosity to be the best. Yeah, So like guys are doing again, they're they're searching pep tides, They're doing something like they're supplements, news, types of training. You got the pool training. Now you see uh Atasanya, the the UFC fighter doing the breath work and the yeah yeah yeah. So you get guys just like pushing the edge of performance and like but then like you got some guys that just stick to these fundamentals, like they're like their mental performances, like their ability and their wit and like their work ethic keep them there. Like like I had Nate Ebner on as one of my first guests, and his mental framework is just ungodly when you say mental framework, Like what do you mean, Like just how he approaches doing his job, Like what's non negotiable, how he eliminates distraction, Like some distractions like the register in my mind, don't even register in his Like he just like he is the definition of a pro that has the ability to like sustain focus and discipline. He played for the Pages for nine years. Like there's a reason why, Like he fit into that program. He's on the Olympic team for what rugby? Yeah, for rugby and twenty sixteen for Rio. Then he just had to step out of the the Tokyo Olympics to get ready for the NFL season this time. Yeah, he's a savage.
Speaker 6: We interrupt this episode to bring you a message from our friends at Sling.
Speaker 1: Sling.
Speaker 6: That'd be a sick nickname. It could be a sweet nickname for your dog. Do you have nicknames for your dog and not just a normal name? No, just straight up sling. Okay, fair well. If you love watching live sports but you're tired of high prices, it's time to take control of your TV experience.
Speaker 1: It's time you got sling.
Speaker 6: Sling is the place where your favorite sports channels like ESPN, Fox, Sports One, T and T and more all together for less, and it's the cheapest way to get the best NFL viewing experience on TV NFL red Zone.
Speaker 1: If you love watching live.
Speaker 6: Sports but you're tired of high prices, it's time to take control of your TV experience. It's time you got sling. JPDF Sling you do, Yeah, I mean too. Sling is the place where your favorite sports channels like ESPN, FS one, tn T and more all together for less, and it's the cheapest way to get the best NFL viewing experience on TV and NFL Red Zone. With Sling Blue Sports Extra Package, you get Red Zone, NFL Network and more for only twenty one dollars for your first month. Plus watch past episodes of Busting with the Boys, the yak Stool streams, and exclusive new Barstool content for free on the on the Barstool Sports channel on Sling. Sling is easy to set up, easy to use, and there's no contract, just starting at thirty five dollars a month. Sign up now and get your first month for just ten bucks. Go to Sling dot com slash barstool to sign up now and get your first full month starting at ten dollars. Let me repeat that that's a great deal. That's a great deal. You got a lot of sports coming up. Football's in the crunch time. That's why you need to go to sling dot com slash barstool to sign up now and get your first month at Sling starting for ten.
Speaker 2: Back to the episode, Yeah No, I love that shit anytime performance is being talked about, like like Ben Greenfield once I found him on like Rogan talking about actually BPC one fifty seven and the red light therapy like putting it on your nuts raising testosterone levels. I'm just like, yo, who is this guy? I'm searching Ban Greenfield, Like, oh, he's got a podcast. I'm listening to his podcast all the time on recovery methods and anything peptide or nutrition or any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his book goes crazy places. Which which book is it? Boundless?
Speaker 4: Boundless? It is a huge fucking book, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a textbook on bio hacking and like again roots supplements, anything and everything like breath work, meditation. It goes down all the rabbit holes and he does he did a lot of like heavy lifting for everybody to have this amount.
Speaker 2: Of exactly he's done the like he's went down those dark alleys to find all this information that's accessible to everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's an investigative reporter. And then so now he just put his efforts into that. So that's dope. But like that stuff is just regardless if I'm playing football or not. Like I want to optimize and I want to like live better and have enough energy to pursue crazy thing like whether it's a like a podcast or a new job or like relationships and that kind of thing, like you want you want to give your fucking best. Yeah, so I think that stuff's cool and that kind of I guess that that world of chasing edges goes down a lot of rabbits. Yeah, but it got me an opportunity in the NFL, like you might get another one, bro, yeah, God will and that like snappings a new edge.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, hey fuck it man, you get back in you you really are.
Speaker 2: You're You're an example of chasing edges and staying persistent and staying focused and staying discipline while obviously dabbling and other things that keep you happy and keep you going and.
Speaker 1: Shit like that. But it's it, really is.
Speaker 2: It's cool to see what your clim has been and the respect you've gained as far as being a captain. I know that stood out to me singing all these leagues you were in before you became that and then obviously staying steady two years out and you're still chasing, not still chasing like you need it, but it's just cool that you got it in your back, like you got that club in your bag, so you know what I mean. It's dope, man, and I I really do I fuck with you, you know that. And uh, I appreciate you coming on. But when's your podcast Chasing Edge is gonna drop?
Speaker 1: You think middle August?
Speaker 2: Middle of August, keep a look out for the boys will obviously pub it. But uh, seriously, man, thanks for coming on. This ship was insightful. Yeah, appreciate you and motherfuckers who are still listening and about this. Subscribe rate review five stars. Go follow the boy Brian Peters at Brian Underscore Peters ten. Go see all of his GQ looking model photos where he's just sitting in ice all the time. But uh, but yeah, man, big hugs, shindy kisses. Go by our merch, go do all the fun stuff, hack the algorithm, drop comments on the YouTube.
Speaker 1: We love you guys. Be a fucking wolf. Subscribe on subscribed, Yeah, subscribe on scrib