Speaker 1: Film Spotting is presented by Regal Unlimited, the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. See any standard two D movie anytime with no blackoutdates or restrictions. Sign up now on the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film spot twenty six to receive fifteen percent off.
Speaker 2: What kind of a show you guys putting on here today?
Speaker 1: You're not interested in art?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Look, we're going to do this thing. We're going to have a conversation.
Speaker 3: From Chicago. This is film Spotting.
Speaker 1: I'm Madam Kempinar and I'm Josh Larson.
Speaker 4: I just thought she was the prettiest thing that I'd ever seen, and she was there with somebody else. She was very popular back then. She had dozens of boyfriends, hundreds, hundreds. Yeah, I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Cookie Fleck, Deliadets, Kate McCallister and Moira Rose. We lost the one and only Catherine O'Hara last month.
Speaker 1: This week we paid tribute with our top five Catherine O'Hara characters that more ahead on film Spotty.
Speaker 4: Sally is.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Film Spotting. Josh favorite Paul McCartney and Wings song go.
Speaker 1: Uh Lifeline, Can I call my dad? You can? I don't know if I should be insulted by that or not.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess I wasn't alive really when Wings was in its full glory, but not even a maybe I'm amazed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, okay, I can hear that one in my head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great favorite, we were okay, Yeah, it's a great tune. We were planning to include my conversation with director Morgan Neville about his new film Paul McCartney Man on the Run in this show. Neville an Oscar winner, of course, for the twenty thirteen documentary Twenty Feet from Stardom. He also made the mister Rogers doc Won't You Be My Name? And twenty twenty four is piece by piece the lego fied bio doc about Froh Williams. But we decided to drop it into the film spotting Feed earlier this week as a standalone episode, so by the time people are hearing this, Josh, hopefully they have already heard that what I thought was a fun conversation with Morgan Neville, even if it really was just the two of us, it turns out two bass players geeking out about how good Paul McCartney is.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the real reason is there's a rumor that we have a singing Masacre theater coming up later in this show, and we just didn't want, we didn't want, like a discussion about good legendary music to share any space with what is about to go down later.
Speaker 3: Okay, did producer Sam sneak this by? Because I wasn't aware I missed this. I should read the dot It's.
Speaker 1: Going to be rough. It's gonna be rough. Yeah, just buckle up.
Speaker 3: That conversation with morganev was recorded as a video conversation like this very episode we are taping right now. Film Spotting is available as a video podcast. You can watch that interview. You can watch this show on YouTube. For a link to video episodes, go to YouTube YouTube dot com slash film spotting or go to film spotting dot net slash episodes. Time now to talk Catherine O'Hara, and I know that we are despite the sad occasion, we are excited to talk about Catherine O'Hara, to share these characters, to share these scenes, and I don't think it's going to be a surprise, despite the great many of characters she's played in a great many wonderful films. We are going to have a fair amount of overlap here, and I think we probably have a fair amount of overlap with most people listening to this show, Josh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there are a couple of iconic characters who come to mind when you hear Katherine O'Hara, and we're going to give those roles plenty of time. I am surprised the way things ultimately shook out, though Adam is a little more outlier. Talk to use the language we apply to our top ten show and those titles at the end of the year, the best of the year that maybe only one panelist picks. I think we each maybe ended up with two outliers. But yeah, to your point, that means there are three consensus, and more tellingly, I think the three consensus we all have ranked within the top three. So it seemed like something that might be more more fitting for a general conversation and then we can talk about where we actually placed these characters. But yeah, Catherine O'Hara, definitely you have one or two faces that come to mind right away, for sure. How do you want to get started?
Speaker 5: Go?
Speaker 1: I want to share something on just to cover us a little bit because and ask a more general question about her. Basically, when this news came down, it was a shock, as we said when we first talked about it afterwards on the show, given how young she was, and felt like a loss. I don't know, I don't want to say out of proportion. Definitely not out of proportion with the talent, but maybe out of proportion with the stature in the sense that she wasn't really a star in the traditional meaning right where she had all of these films built around her. She never anchored a movie exactly on her own. So some of the legends we've been talking about in the last year who have passed away, she was in a different stratosphere. Yet for a lot of us, I think it felt like as monumental as a loss, just sort of emotionally and instinctively, it was like, ooh, one of those And so I was curious, you know, what was that? And I sent out an email asking this when I was asking for people for their favorite characters, and I got this back from Jacob Allen, which I wanted to share because I think he's onto something that also speaks for the nineties kids. Because this is an Ohara character I don't think either of us are going to include. But Jacob shared this about why losing her felt so monumental. I wonder if because so many of our earliest associations with her is as the devoted mother in Home Alone, she feels like the motherly matron saint to the film community. It sounds odd to say, but I feel so comforted by her screen presence, just as the presence of my own bomb puts me at ease. That's my favorite performance of hers has to be that of Gail in After Hours. So yeah, I think we might hear more about Gail in just a bit. But thanks for that, Jacob. That gets us to nod to Home Alone as well. But I do think raw emotionally speaking for a certain generation, maybe maybe he's onto something here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know there are Home Alone fans out there. I know you're not one of those, Josh, and I really have no. I don't have strong feelings about the film one way or the other. It's definitely not going to come up on this list, and it's interesting to think that maybe in the recesses of my brain, it's entirely possible that the first time I really thought about Catherine O'Hara on screen, like processed who she was, really saw that face, it might have been home alone. Now I had seen Beetlejuice before that, so ald in that way instead. But yes, it's possible that, certainly for a lot of people listening it was home alone. And so there is something comforting about thinking about her as Kate McAllister, and and in your subconscious you will always think of her in that way. I do like that sentiment as well, you know, for me, as I was especially going back through these characters and considering different people and watching different scenes, I was thinking about a line from a character played by another person who we very tragically lost this year, who we haven't paid tribute to yet, but I believe we have plans to later this year, and that's Rob Reiner. He plays a character in the film Bullets Over Broadway who famously, or maybe even infamously says, an artist creates his own moral universe. Again, watching all of these scenes, I feel like with every character Catherine O'Hara plays, she is consistently creating her own moral universe, and not just moral universe, just her own universe, she is operating. Her characters are always operating by their own set of principles, moral, ethical, you know, you name it, any framework for the world. They will never be denied. They are completely individual and idiosyncratic, and I think that's what makes them, part of what makes them so memorable.
Speaker 1: Ye, their own reality is living comfortably within their own reality and wondering what the rest of us are doing.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, So get us started. You can name your number five. We'll see where, we'll see where we land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got an outlier here at number five, which is a vocal performance. It's Judith from Where the Wild Things Are. And I did want to nod to O'Hara's voice work. She's done more recently the Wild Robot or something like Elemental years earlier, franken WEENI. She's done a lot of voice work, and to me, maybe the most interesting vocal performance she gave us in Spike Jones's Where the Wild Things Are. This is two thousand and nine, and Judith is a particularly prickly wild thing. For those who haven't seen this, it's a live action adaptation of the Maurice Sundeck children's book about a kid who runs away to a land of furry monsters. And it's just one of our most unique integration of imagination, live action and special effects. So you have Max Records, young actor playing Max, this main character, and then the wild things are played by performers in these giant monster suits. Some sort of digital manipulation is used for their facial expressions. It's all completely seamless. If you haven't seen it, it works. I mean it's it really does work. The suit performer. On that note, I should credit for Judith. The O'Hara character is Nick Farnell, and then of course she is the voice and it's an interesting performance from her because she doesn't just go for laughs, though there are those. There's a real threat to Judith. It looks like this three horned monster, and she's always dancing on the line between teasing Max and then being serious about eating him, which is a continual danger in the film. Just beyond O'Hara though, where the Wild a stellar example a voice casting for talent not name recognition. This is where producers always go wrong when they go for the star. Sometimes that works Tom Hanks brilliant voice actor. More often than not it doesn't. So here you have you're going for the voice talent. You're going for James Gandolfini, Chris Cooper, Forrest Whittaker, Paul Dano, they all voice other wild Things. O'Hara is, you know, one of the standouts among them. So yeah, throwing that into the mix. Officially my number five. But starting things off with Judith from Where the Wild Things Are.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that since it was reviewed very positively here on Film Spotting when it came out. But I love what you said there about how it's funny and she gets the laughs, but there's also that sense of danger. There's a threat there because those same and I'm not gonna say layers. I think it's more aligne. She's consistently able to walk with her characters. And the reason why I'm going to say that line versus layers may go back to something I think you alluded to earlier, Josh, which is not that in any of these roles that we're going to talk about her. In any of these movies, she's not playing a significant role, obviously, but she usually is part of an ensemble or she is a supporting character as opposed to the lead in the film, so she doesn't necessarily get a chance to show all of these layers over the course of a huge narrative character arc. Right, she has to come in and deliver in a brief scene sometimes or an extended scene, but she has to walk various lines. She has to give us different different shades, and her ability to do that is something It's going to come up again and again in my picks, and we're going to start with number five. I already mentioned this movie, and I was sure when we did this. I love I mean, your picks are great, so I don't begrudge you, and I'm glad I get to include it now as my outlier. But I know that even though I really like this film, you like it even more. I know that, even though I really like this director, you like this director even more. I am going with Delia Deets from Beetlejuice. And it's been ages, Josh since since I've seen this movie, certainly in full. I have seen a few scenes from it here and there when it's popped on TV, and it usually is fun to watch. And I enjoyed her to some extent in Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice as well. I'm gonna give credit to O'Hara for that, even if I really didn't like that movie. But what struck me rewatching scenes for this top five, and it really shouldn't have surprised me, is not how good O'Hara is at making Delia the vampy, kind of evil step mom character, this unhinged, self absorbed artist that we get to laugh at. Of course those elements are there. Maybe I did assume, Josh because it's been so long that it was a little bit more while hilarious, a little bit more one note like that, and it's so not right. You get that in moments that really deliver, for instance, the incredible side eye then turn of the head that she gives Charles, her husband, when they first show up at the house and you know she's already looking to redo all of the decorating, and he says to her that she'll finally be able to cook a decent meal in the kitchen. That look, no words, The look says everything that she gives him is so perfect and watching it is it that he insults.
Speaker 1: Her cooking that makes her so mad?
Speaker 3: Or is it that he insults her identity as a brilliant artist by reducing her to a mere housewife or is it both right? It doesn't really matter. But you know she's just staring daggers at him. But what O'Hara gives Delia in this scene, but also in every scene, without a hint of sentimentality, is real human emotion. She is as insecure and needy as she is abrasive.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: In this same scene, when they move in, when she has she has to, she is so compelled to tell the mover who she feels like. She has to remind him to be careful with this sculpture that it's her sculpture, not hers, like she bought it. She owns it, Josh hers, she made it, careful.
Speaker 1: That's my sculpture, and I don't mean my's and I bought it.
Speaker 2: I mean I made it.
Speaker 3: It's my sculpture.
Speaker 2: Put it on the table.
Speaker 3: When she sees that he's just giving her a blank stare back that's completely utterly meaningless to him, she then she then becomes in front of him a completely normal person. The pretense completely fades because she realizes that she's powerless in front of a guy like this who does not care. That does not impress him one bit. And you see the facade completely crumble in that moment, and so watching some scenes form Beald Juice again, you realize that it's not O'Hara playing Deliadiads. It's O'Hara playing Deliadiads, who is playing the best slash version of herself.
Speaker 1: The entire time.
Speaker 3: There's that sort of meta layer to that character. And she doesn't, of course, like any good comedic performer, which she doesn't play the comedy. She finds the humor in the heart of the character.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this really should have been my outlier pick to a degree, and it was on my rough draft. It was heard the news and started thinking about this. I think it is definitely more layered as you gust. It's for me, would have been a surefire thing if we had done O'Hara scenes, because she kicks off the Deo banana boat musical sequence. Yes, and that is just a tour de force of comedy just going for you know, this experience of being musically possessed but also snapping in and out of it. It's you know, it's like Delia doesn't just suddenly get possessed and starts singing. It's like it happens and then she comes out and recognizes asks what's happening to me? And then goes back in and the deafness O'Hara has in that sequence, yeah, I think is among her best scenes for sure. It's interesting what you say. I think we're going to come across this repeatedly in that they're our roles she's been given, which basically have one clear comic signifier to them. And I think you could say this to Delia too. And then the magic is what O'Hara weaves and rings into making this character even more than that, as you say, without necessarily the most screen time among the ensembles, she still manages to pull it off. Yeah, my other outlier I actually have ranked quite Let's let's be anire. I could do that, or I could just go to number four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I like that. No, let's let's go with your other outlier.
Speaker 1: Why not? Okay, let's hit our outliers first, and I put Moira Rose from Shit's Creek at number two. I know, I know, breaking some rules here. This is a television it's television performance. We're gonna listeners will expose themselves. Who are the comrade Josh's or Adams right in in a fury. H huh I could. I had to do it. I just had to do it because this is especially the sentimentality of doing this list now after her passing, and the joy to know that near the end of her career she was given an opportunity like this, a multi season opportunity to delve into all her improvisational comic gifts, create a character over a long series of time. This is an ensemble show, too, Adam, but in a way, this is her lead role. This is the one that maybe she didn't get in film throughout her career, And yeah, I just thought it had to be recognized here. I think my list would have been paltry without it. This is on Netflix if people haven't caught up with Shit's Creek, So right now, we're about halfway through our rewatch. We watched it when it first aired and loved it. Moira Rose is basically the disgraced former actress who's trying to rebuild her life with her spoiled family after they are forced to move to a small town having I'm not going to get to into the plot. Basically, they've lost all their wealth. Her husband here a name that's going to come up a lot Eugene Levy get to have them working off of each other and man, Adam your description at the top of her creating this own moral universe or.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of her, I definitely, yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: A multiverse depending on what wig Moira Wit decides to wear that day the point. And I think half of Eugene Levy's wide eyed reaction shots, which is probably like eighty five percent of his performance on the show come from one of Moira's absurd proclamations. And this is in terms of both content what she says and how she says it. I think O'Hara has invented her own accent for this part. It is it is a posh draw if that's a thing. It's it's like Catherine Hepburn, but tipsy and slurring her speech. Maybe I mean to give you a sense of this. There is a super cut on YouTube her just pronouncing baby as Bebe. It's throughout the series, Yes, I seen. I think the accent work here is you know, is just a tour de fouresid its own. It's no idea of.
Speaker 2: The toller Bebe can take on its mother or it's mother's mother.
Speaker 3: Where is Bebe's chamber.
Speaker 4: You're right we should go.
Speaker 3: Justcen has that beepe thing time?
Speaker 1: Did you said you couldn't make it because of the bebe I'm curious about this too. Rewatching it on the first watch, I thought, and this speaks to your point too, Adam, Moira might be the one in this family. So there's the two adult children and then her husband, who grows the least, like over four or five seasons, there might be they all kind of some grown, become humbled, or recognize value in others. In my first watch, I felt like Moira was, let's say, the most steadfast. But I don't know. Maybe you know, especially now as we're as we're picking up on these nuances she brings to characters. I'll be eager to watch these last two seasons or so and see if I missed something and she might have might have snuck something in there on us to Moira as well. I wouldn't be surprised, But at the same time wouldn't be surprised if she had that that conviction to Moira's own reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, steadfast is such a charitable way of putting it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: I didn't include it in part because I absolutely knew you would. I figured I could leave it off because of the TV technicality, and also, not only have I not watched It's Creek twice or am not on my second viewing, I haven't finished it once. I've seen certainly the bulk of the episodes. I know my wife has seen the entire series, but I still have some homework to do, Josh. So I don't feel like I have any claim to Moira Rose like you do.
Speaker 1: You've got a lot of good stuff waiting for you. Had you gotten to the point where she was filming her schlocky horror movie The Crows have ice three the Crow name. Did you get to that yet? I did not get to that. Okay, you got good stuff ahead. I'll just say that.
Speaker 3: Well, actually a perfect transition because every actor, or almost every actor, you may know them for a breakout role, but you go look at their IMDb and they probably have some kind of schlocky horror, schlocky thriller right first as their first feature, maybe after their TV work, or thrown into their TV work there near the end, before they really transition to the big time.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Catherine O'Hara is no different. Double negative is what the movie's called a nineteen eighty thriller that she is in. But I'm going with my outlier and I'm just gonna keep going in order.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 3: I've got it at number four. Already mentioned by the listener that you quoted Josh Gail from After Hours, and not only is it a great performance, I truly believe, but deserves recognition I think on this list because after double negative, well, let me just set that aside. It really was her first notable screen appearance, certainly a major studio film, working with a major director, obviously in Martin Scorsese. It's the first time she was really widely recognized as a comedic performer on screen.
Speaker 1: First time.
Speaker 3: You know, critics were taking note of her as well, and you know, you talked about the magic of O'Hara. The magic of this performance as Gail lies for me in what I was saying before about her performance as Delia as well. It lies in how she grounds this character, because this in this movie that's completely ungrounded, right, This mister softy ice cream truck driver. That's what she does for a living, and she wants to tell you that she is a mister softy ice cream truck driver. She is the embo of chaos. She absolutely takes to another level, helps escalate the already highly escalated absurdity of this night for Griffin Dunn's Paul character. And how does O'Hara play her. I wasn't able to rewatch the entire movie, Josh, But I don't know if Gail's heart rate gets above like one oh five. It's just it's just pretty steady and calm the entire time. She does not play the comedy. She doesn't play the chaos at all. She just plays Gail. And in just one scene which I think is probably universally the most famous scene of hers in the movie, it's the scene where she and Paul meet out out on the street in an alley.
Speaker 1: He gets hurt.
Speaker 3: She brings him up to her apartment ostensibly to help bandage up is his wounded arm, like she's going to take care of him. It's just under five minutes, and Josh, I'm probably even missing a few different layers here, but she gives us Gail as genuinely sympathetic, look at your arm, it's bleeding. I'll get you a bandage right into sweetly self absorbed I have my own mister, softy truck, even though he didn't ask. He has no interest in what she does for a living, right into accommodating do you need a pencil as he tries to write down a phone number, then right into playing the jesture, saying random numbers out loud to discombobulate him so he can't remember the numbers that he's supposed to dial.
Speaker 1: Five eight one, nine six.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 1: That was funny, That was funny.
Speaker 3: This poor guy just needs a break, and all she wants to do is torment him and confuse him so he can't make this phone call. The best part of the scene, though, Josh, is that devilish grin. She has that joyful, devilish face she makes when he calls the operator again. Take two, and she makes a face like almost like your mom makes when you're a little kid and she's about to tickle you again.
Speaker 1: Oh, here it comes. You're gonna do it again? Five eight six two, don't nine three eight zero? Sure enough?
Speaker 3: More numbers out loud and he loses them again. Then she lets out this laugh, almost like she's the joker, but you know, a more benevolent joker.
Speaker 1: And then Josh, she goes back to.
Speaker 3: Being caring again, except and this, this is what you were saying about where the wild things are? This is we can trace it back to this moment. Here she's caring, except there is just a little bit of menace in her voice. The danger is there, Like if he wasn't so desperate, Sureley Paul would recognize that something is off with this woman. And I just think if you saw SCTV and then you went to the movies, the new Martin Scorsese movie, and you saw Catherine O'Hara on screen, none of this maybe would have surprised you about her, right you would have said, oh, of course, I expect this transition to movies. But if you never saw SCTV and you just went out to the movies and saw this woman playing Gail, I think my first reaction would have been something like, how have I missed her? Because surely this comedic actress has been in like twenty films already. She's just too polished and too funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't know what's coming next with Gail. I think this character is also an example of what I think. I mentioned this when we shared the news on that episode, after just hearing about her passing, how O'Hara comes into a movie and can often no matter what movie you've been watching and whoever she's playing, you suddenly kind of wish the movie became that character's movie and you could follow them. Now, that might be a dangerous proposition with Gail because it could go potentially to some very dark places, but it could go to some fun places too. It could be some ice cream involved. I mean, really, who knows? It would have been a wild, a wild ride when it comes to Gail. All right, So I think here's where we'll have some splitting of hairs, of ranking but shared shared characters. Because Sheila Albertson in waiting for Guffman, wants her time in the spotlight and deserves her time in the spotlight. She's not paired O'Hara's not paired here with Eugene Levy. Even though this is a Christopher Guest mockumentary, this time it is Fred Willard Ron and Sheila Albertson, the overly confident travel agent couple who you know have some performance experience and they are very eager to be part of the community theater production. At the heart of this film, their audition.
Speaker 2: Scene, you surprised how did you find me?
Speaker 1: I have my ways? Would you like to come in for coffee? You don't need to ask.
Speaker 2: They just don't need to speak.
Speaker 1: It's so loud, they're saying, it's just so loud. And she has no concern for really hitting a note. And I think, if I'm noticing that, Adam, it must be really bad. Right.
Speaker 3: We're all Bob Balaban in that scene.
Speaker 1: Right, just like reaching for the glass of water, not sure what to do, whereas guests Corky Saint Clair's smitten, just Smith's in right with the passion, with the passion they're showing. How about the double date at the Chinese restaurant where she drunkenly brings up her husband's penis reduction surgery, right, and you think you know, okay, low hanging fruit, right, fun intended? You just you just give you give that as the script, if that was even in the script. But oh my gosh, the comic chaos. She again, like Gail induces with it.
Speaker 2: We'll talk what's it like to be with the circumsessment I.
Speaker 1: Ask you more about that? But Hern said the whole jew things and then acting like she isn't doing anything unusual that everyone else at the table. Adam is being weird by how they're responding to her bringing it up. There you go in her own reality, right, her own reality. And you know what this made me realize. I wonder if she is an influence, if O'Hara is an influence at all on Tim Robinson, who you know with I think you should leave. I think that was the name of his the cringe comedy. You know that he specializes in friendship. That was the Paul Rudd. I think a movie from last year, just a guy who walks into a scene is as weird as possible and doesn't understand why people are reacting that way. There's a there's a variation of that happening here in this sequence, and I think in a lot of the scenes with O'Hara characters. Yeah, it was a delight to just watch some of these waiting for Guffman sequences. Again, I haven't watched it in years and years. I think the key to this movie is really that this production they're trying to put on isn't that terrible. I mean it's bad, don't get me wrong, it's bad, but it's it never pushes. The movie never pushes beyond the comic familiar ribbing, you know, into something that's that's just kind of ripping them apart for their idiocy. It never goes that far. And I think that O'Hara, even in a scene like that restaurant, manages a shred of idiosyncratic dignity to Sheila. That is crucial. It's the only way, that's the only way she can act like she's being the completely normal one. Adam, you hear Scream seven and you might think, come on, how many of these do we really need? Well, if I look at my Scream ranked list, I actually have the two most recent Scream films twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, kind of high up there. I have them as number three and number four of the Scream film So all that to say, might be worth checking out Scream seven if you are interested in the franchise, if you're interested in horror in general, and you know we all know horror, you've got to see in a you've got to see this with a crowd. You want to scream alongside others. So if you want to do that, have that experience with Scream seven. You could have it for free with Regal Unlimited Regal Unlimited is the all you can watch movie subscription pass that pays for itself in just two visits. Right now, Regal is offering film spotting, listeners, endless movies for less. If you sign up for Regal Unlimited using code film Spot twenty six, you're gonna get fifteen percent off now. Regal Unlimited is the only truly limitless movie subscription pass. You can see any standard two D movie anytime. There are no blackout dates or restrictions. And with Regal Unlimited, you won't just save money on tickets, you'll also save on snacks. Members get ten percent off all non alcoholic concessions. Sign up now in the Regal app or at the link in our description and use code film Spot twenty six to receive your discount.
Speaker 3: I have Sheila at number three on my list, and you know I talked about the range that you see just within that one after hour scene. What's fun about the guest performances that we're going to talk about. We're talking about just three, but you think about the other films as well. Is how vastly different these characters are. And maybe that sounds obvious, but there's no sort of type casting with her. Fred Willard, as brilliant as he is, is always kind of Fred Willard, right. But if you think about the three characters we're going to mention with Catherine O'Hara, she's she's not remotely the same person. She's not remotely playing the same character. That's probably true across the seven or eight or however many it is different characters that we're going to mention over the course of this list, and I think that just speaks to how talented she is now in every case here that I'm I'm going to mention, and I think maybe maybe so far other than you know, where the wild Things are, she is coupled with a man, and there is never an impulse, it seems for us as viewers watching her, there never seems to be an impulse to be anything but supportive, and I mean supportive in the way ensemble and improvisational comedy has to be that anyone of any gender has to be within that type of environment. There's just a complete absence of ego. There's an understanding, and in this case, you know, it's that Fred Willard is Fred Willard, and both his persona and this character are predicated on being blowhards who are going to ramble on a bit. They're going to make every conversation and every moment about themselves, and he'll be hilarious and she's going to set him up. Or like in the scene that I want to single out, which is the.
Speaker 5: One where they're talking about their dreams of going to Hollywood, not Broadway, going to Hollywood, and he does his awful actor impressions.
Speaker 3: She just like us, has no idea who he's actually impersonating, right, But what does she do?
Speaker 1: Like what does her character do? And he even mentions it?
Speaker 3: She laughs, She laughs right along, you know, she supports him right and giggles with him, like, oh, you're doing such a good job, even though again she has absolutely no clue what he's doing.
Speaker 1: But what ends up happening?
Speaker 3: What does O'Hara end up happening, especially since we know the dynamic and we know how these these scenes are shot for the most part, in these Christopher Guest movies, what ends up happening? She just waits for exactly her moment and she delivers. And I think not just here Josh in this scene, but probably in every scene in this movie and most scenes in all of the guest movies that she's in. She waits for her moment and she delivers what is usually the most memorable part of the scene.
Speaker 2: You know, I want to try that less as more kind of acting where you just when you're talking to someone, you close your eyes and then you look at them.
Speaker 1: When you're not talking to the person.
Speaker 2: I mean, you open your eyes when you're looking away, but then when you talk to the person, you like that, and you open your eyes and then you look.
Speaker 1: Back at the person.
Speaker 3: That's the funniest part of that scene, without a doubt, you know. And she just she just waits, she just waits her turn patiently for that moment to happen. And you know, Fred's character here is an idiot, and you laugh at him, and that's great. He understands that. Guest understands that. I think I think O'Hara understands that about Fred. But you just really can't laugh. You can't laugh at Sheila or I think most of, if not all, of O'Hara's characters, because not only do they have the human part that we've talked about, they're just and this is true certainly of Sheila. I think they're just so damn earnest. They're so earnest. You you just you you you like them and you can't laugh at them. And that's that's what I felt anyway, watching Sheila in this scene, which still just cracks me up every time I watch it and think about her. Less is more approach to acting.
Speaker 1: There's a through line now that we're talking about it, of that supportive element to Yeah, so much of what she does, and in terms of being there and allowing her co star to do what they need to do and giving them something tied to that, I think that's going to be a crucial part to what is likely our shared number one. So I'll save that and maybe I'll move to my number three because this element of a co star and supporting them and still making room for her own comedy is not only crucial to her character. I think it's crucial. This is the one I rewatched for this list. I think it's crucial to best in Show. Overall. I liked this. I've always liked this movie, but I liked it so much more this time. I think because I realized that there were certain couples who we meet who are going to this dog show. Some are just terrible for you each other and terrible to each other, right, and those are funny, But the ones that stick with us, uh huh are those who we get to know that it's more about how they're there for each other. And I think Cookie, Cookie, Cookie, Google's Cooky, She's Cookie. Yeah. Cookie and her husband played by Eugene Levy in this case, of course, are so wonderfully supportive of each other in some very awkward situations, most of them due to the fact that we learn along the way, as her husband does on this trip to the dog show, that Cookie had a lively romantic life before they married. And this is this is an example, Adam, I think of like the one note I was talking about, like.
Speaker 3: I was going to go there if you didn't. Yes, right, It's kind of like one joke with Cookie, one joke.
Speaker 1: Cookie has this promiscuous past, okay, and it could have been a gag that got tired. But I have to think, you know, Levy, I think is a co writer here with guests. I have to think they like trusted her to just say this is all you need and we know what you'll do with it, because the improvisational possibilities that knowing you're getting served a fastball in every one of your scenes, and you can choose to hit it to right field to let me dumbside, like you just know what's coming. And here's what she does. Every guy who comes up and recognizes her and shares their memory with her, each guy is different because of how she responds, and each situation is different because of how she plays it, and you get a sense of their particular relationship, which is unique every time. Doesn't she look fantastic? Well, thank you? Well you've got that right, good one.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Eighteen nineteen years Louisville, the mint Julip.
Speaker 1: You were working as a waitress thing. Wow, welcome Malcolm, Malcolm Malcolm, Oh yeah, you know I've banged a lot of waitresses to my dave you you you were the best. You do forget.
Speaker 2: Oh Jerry, Jerry.
Speaker 1: I think part of you know, Jerry is her husband. And then this goes back to the supporting thing. Part of the cookie persona is the way during each one of these encounters she makes room for Jerry's feelings of discomfort. Now, yeah, she doesn't apologize. Let's be clear, there's nothing for her to apologize for this. You know, this was before she met Jerry, but you know, she's she doesn't just turn all her attention to these men. There's and this too she gives variations to depending on Jerry's reaction, how how like mortified he is, she'll alter her response. It's just that she acknowledges his discomfort. So this is some of the nuanced some of the layers she brings to it. Can we just also say, I don't know what O'Hara did with her leg, but after Cookie sprains her knee just before the climactic final show competition, uh huh, and she's wobbling in a circle around that backstage. I don't know how she did that physically, but it is disturbing and it is hilarious. And I don't know how much physical comedy we get from from O'Hara, but but she definitely throws them out there in this movie and it works quite well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got Cookie Fleck from Best in Show as my number two and she might be the best character in the movie, even though I am going to say, and she's part of this obviously part of the scene and part of what makes this joke work, the single best joke in the movie, and it might be the single I'm gonna say, I'm gonna go bold here, Josh. The single best joke maybe in all of the the Christopher Guest universe, is one that belongs to Eugene Levy in the scene Well Levy and Christopher Guest, and it's when they're talking about how they met on the dance floor and how he's protesting, no, I can't dance.
Speaker 1: I can't dance.
Speaker 3: I've got two left feet, and she says, I thought he was kidding, and there's a pause. So I rewatched this too, Josh, and I hadn't seen Best in Show in I don't know how long, at least ten years, right, so I didn't remember exactly what was going to happen here. And I am telling you truthfully, in this moment, it's like Christopher Guest knew. I think he did know, right. He was smart enough to know that every audience member understood that we were watching a Christopher Guest movie and that anything could happen here. And when he says, you know, I have two left feet, and when the camera pauses that the reality could be that he actually has two left feet, and the pause allows for that. And I actually set out loud on my couch, even though I've seen this movie before, I set out loud, don't do it, like like, no, you're not, actually you're not gonna do it. And then he's in right is right after I finished the word it. But I wasn't in the slope pan down and Josh, that alone, that alone, that sort of interaction with the audience, and the notion that he actually has two left feet, the slope pan that that could be enough. That's enough to make it brilliant. But of course they take it to another level. They had a nickname for me. They called me Loopy because I walked in circles. I mean, I I just I don't know, I don't know if it could be topped.
Speaker 1: Can I point out the callback to this that I didn't catch. Debbie caught this when we were watching it. This is why he wins. Yeah, because when he's walking the dog, he has to go in circles. Of course, yes, yes, Jerry was born for this. I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's very limited, but it actually it actually.
Speaker 1: Pays this case. Circles is a skill.
Speaker 3: So Cookie, you know, she just she takes no offense. Of course, at the vulgarity of all these men who approached them right in front of her husband Noah's We think we think she might be like, oh, you know, that's that's in the past, you know, don't say that. We think she might have more respect for her husband's feelings. But no, yeah, exactly, she tries to thread the needle and and.
Speaker 1: In uh in that seed, you know, in this in this one of the very memorable scenes, right, the character says, I've banged a lot of cocktail waitresses in my day, but you never forget the best.
Speaker 3: And again she doesn't. There's no offense in that because in fact, she takes pride. She says, you know, forget the best, right like she knows she's the best in that moment.
Speaker 1: So that is the joke.
Speaker 3: The joke for her is that recurring gag of men, every man showing up and then her sort of unrepentant you know, shameless horniness or the feminism of cookie Fleck because you know, she's she's not going to let society or her marriage vows. I'm gonna say, you know, restrict her choices, Josh, because or her fond recollections, but her choices because these aren't just choices in the past the movie suggests, right, like, let's not forget that when they go to Larry Miller's house. They stop off at Larry Miller's house, there is that scene where they just disappear. They just disappear in the house. And I don't think he was like showing her as bowling trophies, you know, like, I think we know what they were getting up to in that scene. But but you mentioned this, and I do think this is what makes the character work so well. And it is about it's about cutting that sort of edge of the one note. It's about adding in the real human element that we've talked about so much. Do you ever feel like, you know, you talked about the characters who support each other. Do you ever feel like despite this, despite in any real marriage, any any man really you know, obviously being even more disturbed by this and you know, not allowing it. Do you ever feel like Cookie is using Jerry for something? Do you ever feel like she's she's using him for his money or just some kind of stability. No, it seems like she genuinely loves her husband and she's she's taking no pleasure in cooking him in this way. She just has a voracious sexual appetite and and I think, I think it's the end scene for me, Josh, because here again you think how many different variations on this joke, but also her response to it. Can she give us and have them still be as frish and and as brilliant as as the last one? And they're in this they're in the recording studio. They're singing the Terrier song. And by now you think, maybe you know, he's been triumphant, he won, right, he won for them. Maybe maybe this is behind them now, you know, maybe maybe he'll have some more respect and maybe some some of these men won't. You know, this is a part of the film, but you're just thinking, maybe you know, he's got some status and he can move on with his life and this won't haunt him anymore.
Speaker 1: And what happens.
Speaker 3: They're in the recording studio, and of course the engineer recognizes her.
Speaker 4: Cookie Yeah, Cookie Google man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does this ring a bell? I'm not wearing underwear?
Speaker 3: Fault?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's me. Yeah, it's me.
Speaker 3: And this moment, Josh O'Hara's moment, that focused look that she gives the guy, and that little cough and the lowering of the voice, which she says he's He says, you look good girl, whatever, and she goes you too.
Speaker 1: You look fantastic too. You've grown.
Speaker 4: I'm growing right now, girl, I'm just looking at you.
Speaker 3: Poor Jerry, right, I mean Levy Levi starts banging his head against the microphone.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite.
Speaker 3: I think that is my favorite Cookie fleck line delivery in the entire film. You two, you've grown, like you just know like it's over. It's over for Jerry, Like, do not let do not let Bulge come out from behind that side of the glass, Do not let Cookie go into that side of the studio. Just just leave as fast as you can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to watch that and see you know what she does to acknowledge Jerry, Like, is that the rare moment where she's like, he's not here as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't.
Speaker 3: She doesn't look at all at him. She is straight on with Bulge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, because there's because there's Yeah, most scenes she'll she'll try to make space for for Harry as well, which is Yeah, it's a it's a really much more, much funnier and more. I always used to credit a Mighty Wind, which I think we're about to get to with being the more thoughtful and resonant Christopher Guest's documentary. But there was a lot of that invest in show and the and you know, especially the other couple besides Cookie and Jerry. I think of where Michael McKeon and John Michael Higgins as Stefan and Scott like you just realized for it.
Speaker 2: Listen to Laugh with Me a podcast with Jeremy Odom right here on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcast. I'm j oh I'm your host, baby, and here's a little taste of what you are gonna find on Laugh with Me. And they're like, what happened. I'm like, I got Peppi's braid, and everybody's like, oh my god, what happened? I got Beavorence braid.
Speaker 1: I just told you.
Speaker 2: And listen to Laugh with Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You know, outrageous and you know, stereotypical. We would say this couple presents like there is They are there for each other in every moment and in every way, and there was something like just so sweet about that amidst all the laughs, and I think even with Jerry and Cookie, there is something sweet amidst all the perversity, perhaps so without a doubt. So we're at our shared number one if I've been following correctly, And this is in terms of the carving her own space alongside a co star, but delivering that support. I think her performance is Mickey in a Mighty Wind is to me the definitive Ohara character, and you know, really a distinctive performance in the way it it pumps the breaks on the comedy a little bit, not saying that she isn't quite funny in a Mighty Win. She's one half of Mitch and Mickey. So Eugene Levy is the other half. Christopher guest again and they're a folk duo who they separated years before professionally and romantically and have now been reunited for this memorial concert. And I think both of them, I think Levy two, they're really layering their improvisational genius with a feel for fully formed characters. It feels like this is something they've been working towards as collaborators on screen, collaborators through some of the movies. We've been talking about and Mitch and Mickey are just something special. I actually had them as my number two movie band when we did that Top five that was episode five oh three. And yeah, I think with O'Hara here you can see how she's maybe it's calibration, right, it's not choosing one thing over the other, it's where am I going to modulate? And I feel like here she's going slightly more. She's slightly privileging sincerity overhumor while allowing both to be part of every moment that she's in. And I think there's a dexterity there that's quite special. And then to put over the top you have you know, their climactic performance at this reunion concert of kiss at the end of the Rainbow. I think here is where O'Hara is going for sincerity and it's funny. At my notes after watching this again are so in line with what we've been talking about because that sequence, we're all waiting to see if they're going to kiss at the end of the song, right, this is what they used to do traditionally the audience is waiting for We now vicariously as movie viewers, are waiting to see if they're going to do this and watching it this time, I think I realized that Mickey was giving that kiss as a gift to Mitch. So it wasn't this romantic thing between the two of them. It was more of a one side It struck me this time as more of a one sided gift, knowing he needed it even if she didn't. And so it's not even a romantic need Micky's fulfilling here. But this is a gesture of affirmation, which I think is something quite sophisticated to try to perform and a choice rather than just going for that romance. But I think it's true to to who this character is, who Mickey is through throughout the movie. And I want to real quick before I thought to you, share something from a listener Luke Standaway, because I saw his letterbox review of A Mighty Wind. Must have watched it after O'Hara passed, and he said this, Catherine O'Hara can make you laugh your pants off and then with the faintest expression, break your heart. And if yeah, there's no reason or there's a clear reason he wrote that for a Mighty Wind. After watching A Mighty Wind, right, I think that's absolutely what she does here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did have Cookie as my number one for the longest time, and then, as sometimes happens, you end up rearranging your list. The more you think about the films, the more you the more you start justifying your picks, and all of a sudden, I found myself going, no, it's got to be Mickey. It's got to be a mighty wind at number one. And a big part of it is that you you said it, Josh, is that this character, even though she is part of this duo, it's wrestling with this very notion of supportive or being fifty percent of a whole versus being one hundred percent of yourself, and that that's what the character's wrestling with. And we see, you know O'Hara then getting to kind of bring that out in her performance. This character is singular, and I think that that separates her. She she's not there just to support Levy, certainly for most of this film. She's she's separated and thus separate and and she's not defined in any way as wife of right or partner of and I think that that that is a distinction, that that matters, and even at the end when we see post kiss, and that's what really matters to me. As good as the kiss is and as amazing as it makes me feel watching it, even watching it again just on YouTube, the aftermath is what really gets me, Josh, and what I want to talk about. And and you know she's playing Is she playing the harp? One of those it's not a harpsichord.
Speaker 1: Is it? She's something like that.
Speaker 3: It's like something like I can't believe I'm blanking on that, but she's she's at some kind of trade show or something where no one's paying attention to her. But she even says, I'm a musician again. You know, I'm a musician again, Like I can do this on my own. She she is on her own. And I think that declaration matters for that character. But you're not wrong that they deserve. Mickey and Mitch Vicky deserve to be a top five movie band with that song. That's the song incredible, so good. It has to be right, It has to deliver for us to believe that this movie is going to build to it, and that all the characters think about think about what Guest has to pull off there, not only musically but emotionally. If if the entire film hinges on, we have to believe that all those people backstage are going to come to the side of the stage and look, and we as viewers to everyone in the audience, everyone watching the screen and everyone watching from the side of the stage, we're all looking for the same thing. And we're all listening to that music and being moved by it.
Speaker 1: And it works.
Speaker 3: And as I said, there's poignancy absolutely in the kiss itself, that kind of will they or won't they? Suspense that that really matters, and that anticipation building because of all the onlookers. And there's a joke in there too, right, you know when when in the aftermath, there's a joke in there, like there's always going to be when Nicky says, my sister said, well, you shouldn't have let him on. You shouldn't have kissed him if you weren't going to go all the way. It's what she says, you know, like this this nineteen fifties view of teenagers dating or something like, it's so stupid, right, but it's also in a way accurate, you know, it's accurate as in, if all the way actually meant falling back in love, you know, reuniting, you shouldn't have kissed him if you weren't willing to commit to being all in with him, if you take it to mean that it has a serious component to it as well as in everything that kiss could could pressage. So here again with O'Hara and with Guest, we get after a punchline comes from real pathos, right.
Speaker 1: But what I love, Josh.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm maybe going to push back a little bit because on your on your reading, because this is a revelation I think I had for the first time, and I say, I think I'll explain why I say I think I had for the first time watching it a few times prepping for this top five. What I love about the end of this film post kiss, and their individual explanations of what it means and where they are now as individuals, is that the film structure by putting Nicky first, that that order creates the impression that she's the reasonable one. She's the one who sort of set a boundary. She's the one who doesn't feel the same way about Mitch that he feels about her. She is the She's not the one who took the kiss seriously, while Mitch might have. And so maybe when we watch him explaining to us that he that he wasn't moved by it either and it didn't mean anything, and he feels sorry for her because she.
Speaker 1: Might have taken it too seriously.
Speaker 3: It feels to us as viewers like he's quite possibly deceiving himself, But that's because that's because Micky got to talk first. So does guests choice to give Micky primacy mean that he wants to leave us with that question? As in Micky is speaking from a place of conviction and honesty. She feels the way she feels as she explained it, and she's worried that you know, Mitch did take it too seriously and she just wanted the drama. It was just performance and that was it. Or is the ambiguity there to make us consider And I'm going to argue that I think we have to that it's quite likely that Micky took the kiss no less seriously than niche, and she's also rationalizing just like he is. I think the ambiguity leaves the door open that you know, both are really tender people, both are too scared of what the kiss could mean. Both are maybe protecting themselves, both are protecting each other, or maybe it's only one of them, Josh. But maybe it's Micky not Mitch that feels the way we all think, Mitch, does you know what I mean? Like, I think the ambiguity is there, that we read it a certain way because Nicky talks first, but maybe that's not the way we should feel about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I'm you know, I didn't watch the ending scene, so I don't think I was so influenced by the positioning of their testimonies as we might describe it as just the scene itself and my understanding of who Mickey's been up until that point where it did. It did seem to me like she was in a more secure place, and you know, Mitch, Mitch is the one who had the like serious breakdown over this, right. It's it's almost like that goes back to my notion of the kiss being a gift. Is her understanding that maybe this isn't a chance for us to rekindle our romance, but this is a chance for me. This would be Mickey thinking to end things well where I didn't before. And I'm basing that mostly again in O'Hara's performance in the actual kiss scene, in the actual moment where where she's she's walking a fine line there too, both as O'Hara performer and as Mickey performer. Right. But of course, to your point, like you have to allow those ambiguities, for this to even be envisioned as an either or in terms of its scripting or it's performing, would have ruined it, right if you want, you want all those human complications to be at play, And I think you see that on the part of both performers to allow us to ask these questions. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: And what makes it even more dramatically interesting is everything you've said it makes it makes for dramatic irony that maybe this entire time she's viewed it this way and she's been that character, and she's the one who separated herself from him, and then at the end she actually found herself in the moment feeling more moved by it than she expected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I slash absolutely that, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah Slash, he did even you know that could be possible, right? And so when I said when I said I think so, I think this was a revelation of ambiguity I had. It's only because I went back and looked at my letterboxed review and I just really had a paragraph on it. Though it's one of the ones that I've gotten more comments. I don't know it's in my top fifteen or something. And I said, I said, despite the brilliance of the lines above, and I quote I quote John Michael Hughes his character when he said, Wow, what a what a line deliverer, A comedic line deliver when he says, there had been abuse in my family, but it was mostly musical in nature. My father used to lock me out a way. My father used to lock me away in a room with nothing but the Percy Faith recording of Bim Bam Boom and then send me to bed with nothing but dessert. Okay, So I said, despite the brilliance of the lines above, I can't say Wind is quite as funny as Best in Show or Guffman. And actually I'm not sure I still feel that way. I need to revisit all these films. But it is certainly more poignant. Everything hinges on the Mitch and Mickey performance to your point, Josh and that kiss, past and present collapsing and colliding, which Levy and O'Hara nail naturally. Most affecting, though, is the aftermath where guest lets the former lovers each frame the moment and its meaning. If there's a more sensitive, sad example of the human capacity for rationalization and all of Guest's work, I'd love to see it. So rereading that when I say rationalization, clearly I was seeing it in at least one of the characters, the idea being as as it's played straight. If you take Mickey at face value, it's Mitch who's rationalizing, protecting him and going, oh, I hope Mickey didn't take that too seriously, and I hope she's okay, right, and he's the one who's rationalizing. I think that's how I meant it right, not that both of them were potentially rationalizing, but I love to think about it now is maybe, wow, what if they both for what if Mickey actually is still kind of reeling from this kiss?
Speaker 1: It's fun thinking. I think O'Hara's performance is, you know, sophisticated enough in a broad comedy like this to allow for that possibility.
Speaker 3: Well, those are our top five Catherine O'Hara characters. Any additional characters you want to throw in honorable mentions?
Speaker 1: I mean you had my honorable mention, you know, Delia in in beat old Juice. I do think that's a great performance. Actually, I'll throw in one more as we're talking about Christopher Guest too. For your consideration, is the rare mockumentary Misfire. I think it's pretty general. We agreed, but O'Hara's actually one of the elements that works. She plays a career actress who becomes undone a little bit by this acclaim she receives during the Hollywood Award season. And you know, I haven't watched this. I don't think I've watched this twice, but I do wonder if there are maybe seeds of Moira Rose in some way in that character. So wouldn't recommend for your consideration necessarily to go catch up with. But I do think if you've seen everything else O'Hara has done and have not seen that because it didn't get great reviews, maybe check it out, because my memory is she is at least quite good in it. And then I will mention I listened to on occasion the Julia Louis Dreyfus podcast Wiser than Me, and she had maybe a year and a half ago, maybe it was a little longer. She had Catherine O'Hara on as a guest and just to listen to these two improvisational, you know, sketch comedians to talk about all sorts of stuff beyond the business. But you know that business stuff is just gold. So I would recommend tracking that conversation down. That podcast is called Wiser than Me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good pull. I definitely I wasn't aware of that, and I would like to hear it for me. Moyer Rose is definitely one, obviously, as I said, I considered she I think is maybe in the movie for only one scene, but it is as you would expect. A memorable scene The Paper, the Michael Keaton and Robert Duvall film from nineteen ninety four. She is in a scene where she's meeting Marissa Tomey, who is Michael Keaton's wife, for lunch in the daytime, and she's a former journalist herself, like Marissa Tomay's character who gave it up, you know, to kind of be there as the supportive wife to her husband, gave up her career to raise the kids, and as the camera in Marisa Tomey's point of view as her eyes keep noticing it's O'Hara's character who keeps filling the wineglass, you know, basically up to the top in the middle of the day, you know, and she's she's a little bit of cerbic there in that scene. Let's just say she's not too happy about the choices that she has made. And in addition to Shit's Creek. From a TV standpoint, you know, she did win for the Studio as Patty Lee. And I haven't seen all of The Studio. I haven't finished that season, but I have seen enough episodes to really enjoy her performance as Patty and that I did want to even though I haven't seen it at all. But in a lot of remembrances of O'Hara her performance as another another Gale, I believe in the Last of Us, Josh is someone who gets called out in a fair number of you know, top ten O'Hara characters and in or on one website a list that paid tribute to her Consequence of Sound, they said this O'Hara got an Emmy nomination for her portrayal the therapist who has no interest in healing herself after the death of her husband, a death she blames Joel Pedro Pascal for as lovely and Sonny as her onscreen persona could be the role of Gail was a powerful reminder of how much deep emotion she brought to her work. Not to mention her talent, for here's the word of Cerbic for her. For a cerbic turns of phrase. Your heart broke for Gail and you also related to her, no fucks to give any more attitude. The Last of Us both some memorable performances, and O'Hara's tender Emmy nominated turn as Gail is no exception. So if you're looking for a it sounds like almost deadly serious performance from O'Hara. The Last of Us maybe one to check out. And once again, those are our top five Catherine O'Hara performances. You can check out our lists and the scenes we mention links to those on YouTube by going to film spotting dot net slash list.
Speaker 1: Let's take a moment to thank our film Spotting family members for their support of the show. We want to especially thank Maggie Gilmore for Wichita and Brad in Vancouver Island, Canada. Brad included an exclamation point there at the end of Canada. Sure we'll give Canada an exclamation point, Maggie wrote in this I know I've been a listener for at least eight years, but I can't, for the life of me, remember how I found Film Spotting. I'm also a longtime listener of Sillier movie podcasts, The Flophouse and Doug Love's Movies, so I probably stumbled across Film Spotting on a recommendation list and haven't looked back since. One early episode I remember really enjoying was The Florida Project, because that film shot up to one of my all time favorites after watching it based on your review. Love hearing that. Maggie Brad also shared a bit here circus twenty seventeen, What an awesome year for film I stumbled upon the pod after seeking out recommendations on Reddit. The Phantom Thread review stands out in retrospect. I was working at an independent two screen cinema at the time it was showing, and your insights and perspectives helped it climb the ranks of my personal all time favorites. Wonderful.
Speaker 3: Maggie says her favorite show segment is Film Spotting Madness. It's a favorite every year because there's nothing I love more than an excuse to make a list and check things off of it. Oh, Maggie, we should get together and go bowling sometime. Brad says, I treasure the year end top ten lists such a wide variety of films, and it's always a joy to discover new favorites.
Speaker 1: We asked them both if they had a random favorite film or filmmaker. Maggie suggested strictly. Ballroom said, I think it's an underrated boz lerman Jem. For Brad, he's going with a Charlie Kaufman. He's going with Charlie Kaufman, saying I love my existential dread and yeah, maybe there's a good time to note Adam that, speaking of actors passing, veteran character actor Tom Noonan news that he died and Tom Noonan appeared in two Kaufman films, Senecticky New York and A Noma Lisa, the voice of I think all the characters in a Nomaly. That sounds right. It's been a long time, pretty remarkable concept that Noonan made work brilliantly.
Speaker 3: He is Francis Dollide aka the Tooth Fairy and Manhunter, and he's Kelso, the wheelchair bound Hacker and heat he was in ty West House of the Devil and Last Action Hero RoboCop two. He's in Jarmish's Mystery Train Man Heaven's Gate in that infamous movie. And Todd Haynes Wonderstruck as well, a very very memorable character actor and sad too to hear that news. Sam shared this with me, and for some reason I came across it recently. I think I think I actually played it, maybe Josh in a class for for some reason where I was talking about Senectic Key, New York. I played the scene if you can find it on YouTube, the scene that's the audition scene where he is playing he's auditioning to play the role of the Philip Seymour Hoffman character and how he's going to embody him.
Speaker 1: And it is it is something. It's it's really good.
Speaker 3: A movie you credit with becoming a cinophile. Maggie says, I distinctly remember coming back from winter Break in January two thousand and two, after having my mind blown by the Fellowship of the Rings and being deeply disappointed that none of my fellow sixth graders had any idea what I was talking about. Yeah, kids, Brad says, Okay, I love this fifty to fifty. I'm so serious. Everybody listening right now is typing into their computer or phone. What's fifty to fifty? Yes, the Joseph Gordon Levitt Seth Rogan movie. And Sam Sam notes here that last week a family member had the Gordon Levit starting. Yes, that's true, five hundred days a summer in this slot. I do remember that, Sam, And here we have fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I do remember talking about fifty to fifty. I think I may have even given it a recommendation, maybe a mild one, but a recommendation.
Speaker 1: Fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: Those one of those films Josh to compile a list someday of the like the movies that time forgot on film spotting, You know, movies that you just sort of go, really that was that was a film. You know, you almost don't remember that it ever came out, that you talked about it, that you reviewed it. But when someone says it, you go, oh, yeah, I think that was a thing. Well apparently it was a thing. Brad remembers it is.
Speaker 1: This is why I have my Larson Film website. It may be public facing, Adam, but it's really for me so I can answer such questions. And this I did. Remember this was a cancer drama. I knew that when I heard the title. Okay, and apparently big fan three and a half out of four stars, three and a half, I said it was deeply affecting and admirably even keeled. So there you go. Fifty to fifty Okay.
Speaker 3: Thank you Maggie and Brad for being family members and for all of those years of listening. If you'd like to follow them on letterbox, you can follow Maggie. She is Maggie Gilmore and Brad is be Rad. I think you get the gist with both of their names there. In addition to keeping us doing what we're doing, membership does come with perks. You get to listen early in ad free, you get our weekly newsletter, you get to be part of the film Spotting Family discord, and you get monthly bonus shows. Just earlier this week, you got our conversation with producer Sam about a Kira Kurasawa's Drunken Angel, a blind spot for all three of us, we're all pretty happy that we did finally see that movie. Not surprisingly pretty good film with Toshiro Maffune. Yeah, we went for it spoilers. More information about joining the Film Spotting Family is available at film Spottingfamily dot com, and you can also help out the show by rating or reviewing us at Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Go ahead, just take a second, just click five stars.
Speaker 1: Why not? We thought you up.
Speaker 3: All the pigo. Next week here on the show Josh, we will continue our Film Spotting Pantheon project homework with the Kira Kurosawa's Raschoman. The director is nineteen fifty masterpiece. This is one we have both seen, though it has probably been a while. It is the second of three films that we are taking another look at before they become officially eligible for the Pantheon. I believe it was producer Sam who nominated this as as a marathon movie, a former marathon titled It Bounds. He wants to be eligible, He wants it to be considered for the Pantheon. Nine total nominees is how we do it now. Six have been reviewed on the show, discussed in depth by the two of us, But then we have three that haven't. Maybe they've been talked about on the show before and it's twenty years history but not really been dug into by the two of us and Rashomon's one of those two films, and one of those other films was John Ford's How Green Was My Valley, But we took care of that on our last show, Josh, and I'm looking at that film spotting family Discord. I don't know, it's only a couple posts, but we seem to be kind of in the minority in terms of how much we enjoyed that film.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we just need a few more people to watch How Green Was My Valley. I know those who didn't quite go for it have seen it, but yeah, I was so heartened by your really enthusiastic response to it that I think there have to be others who would enjoy it quite as much. And it matters, right we put these Pantheon eligible films to a vote to decide which two. At the end of this process, in I don't know, maybe a month or so, we'll put it to a vote and see which two of these nine nominees actually get in. So, yeah, watch the movies that were actual discussing on the show. Heck, watch all nine if you want, if you have time and be an informed voter, and yeah, let us know what you think about how green was my value? If you've never seen it before, let us know what you think about Raschaman if you watch it a second or third time in preparation for our discussion next week, you can do that.
Speaker 3: Watch Raschoman on the Criterion Channel, also HBO Max and available on other platforms. Vod Our plan next week tying in with Raschoman is to share our top five unreliable narrators. Turns out, in the twenty plus year history of the show, we have done our top five movies with narrators. That was done in like the first year or two of film spotting, but we have never devoted a top five to unreliable narrators.
Speaker 1: I think it'll be good. Who would have thought there was still an obvious top five that we could tackle for a show. And can we have a quick on air production meeting? Yes? Clarification, okay, top five unreliable narrators? Are we choosing the actual narrators or are we choosing the films? So, because that really good question makes a distinction for which way I go, I don't have a preference necessarily. I have not started.
Speaker 3: Forming my list, so I have not faced this conundrum myself. But my initial response Josh is this is one of those cases where unreliable narrators is more fun and easy to say than unreliable narrator movies. But yeah, I think we're talking about the movies, not the narrators. Okay, that's that's how I think. But I also know that, like Sam's probably now listening to this, going, no, you're wrong, Adam, of course, it's the characters that are more interesting, and we'll change our mind by the time we actually record the next shows.
Speaker 1: What do you think it's very possible? I think my instinct was to think of it the same way you did, because yes, we have many top fives where you just don't tag movies on the end. I also think I like the freedom of that, because there's no reason you can't choose a top five unreliable narrator movie and focus on the actual narrator. Whereas, if we say it has to be your the narrator we're choosing, that's kind of like what you have to you know what I mean. It's almost like a character versus movie. And I think what might be more interesting for a list like this is to talk about how the movies as a whole are unreliable. Agree, and the narrator is obviously the most crucial part of that. But you know, maybe the narrator is unreliable in a different way that the movie is unreliable, and so there's just more places to go.
Speaker 3: Maybe I initially agree, and I think that's how we should approach it.
Speaker 1: Let's we will, we will.
Speaker 3: Let's get our supposal to say, yeah, okay, we'll plan on that. You can send your initial picks to feedback at film spotting dot net, and you know, do it, do it soon, because we will take any help that we can get. In two weeks the weekend right before the Oscars, we will drop our Oscar special with Michael Phillips. Who will win, who should win, and who should have been nominated? You get a say in all of this too. You can go to film spotting dot net right now and submit your official Film Spotting Ranked Choice Best Picture ballot. It is right there, a link on the main page. We will announce the winner with all due solemnity on that Oscars special. Have you submitted yours?
Speaker 1: Josh? I have not. No, Okay, I wait till the last one I have neither.
Speaker 3: You wait, you wait until the end Procrastinator.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: To get a glimpse of what we have planned for future episodes, you can go to film Spotting dot Net and click on episodes right there at the top of the page.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of nineties nostalgia going on at at our sister podcast, The Next Picture Show, Looking at Some was present via its past. It's their pop classics pairing, so they first delved into Boz Luhrmann's Romeo plus Juliet nineteen ninety six. Man, I think I kind of want to watch that again now after hearing their discussion. Of course, they're pairing this with Wathering Heights, which we reviewed recently on the show. It's kind of an inspired pairing, especially if you've seen Weathering Heights. So yeah, I've enjoyed that first episode. The Wathering Heights one is out now, so you can listen to these back to back if you so choose. New episodes of The Next Picture Show drop every Tuesday and you can find them wherever you get your podcasts. Okay, time now for Massacre Theater, where Adam and I perform a scene and you get a chance to win a Film Spotting prize. Last time we mascreed this scene.
Speaker 2: I can't do this.
Speaker 1: Sure you come there. That's my queen right here we go.
Speaker 2: I'm not wanting to get I want to stay single and let my hair from the wind.
Speaker 1: Does I ride through the glen firing odors into the sunset. That was Billy Connelly and Ama Thompson in twenty twelve's Brave, written by Mark andrews Irene Metchi, Steve Purcell and Brenda Chapman, directed by Chapman and andrews Our Massacre of that scene was part of our train spotting at thirty show. We also shared our Pantheon nominees on that episode, and there's always a tie in. So why that scene from Brave.
Speaker 3: Here's Daniel Fuguccio in Blue Mountains that's west of Sydney, Australia. Sounds lovely, he says, been a listener and supporter at one stage. I was labeled beyond platinum. Thank you Daniel for twenty odd years, and I think this may be the first time I've entered Massacre theater. I think it is Eleanor, Emma Thompson and Ferguson. Billy Connolly, You're right in Disney. Pixar's Brave. They are discussing their daughter Meredith Kelly McDonald and there's your Train Spotting link, fierce independent streak. The funny thing is I watched this just two days ago as I decided I wanted to go back to my favorite Pixar films, and this is one of my favorite.
Speaker 1: All Right, nice taste, Daniel. Here's Josh Glover from West Fargo, North Dakota. Tie ins include Kevin McKidd, who is in both films as Tommy and Train Spotting and the voice of Lord mcguffin and Brave. I didn't Yeah, we knew that. Gosh huh voiced? Did you know this one, Adam? I'm sure you did. McKidd also voiced the character of Fenn Rau in the Star Wars Rebels series, which features the final final battle between Darth Maul and one Obi Wan Kenobi, who, while not voiced by him there, was played in the live action pre boots of the Star Wars the Clone Wars series by Ewan McGregor, who is also in Train Spotty. Also maybe because I'm a big train I'm a big Rebels guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's my favorite of all the series.
Speaker 1: I was good go by, but sorry to not allow you space to say that. Also, Josh continues, maybe because both Train Spotting and Brave are set in Scottland, and Kelly McDonald is in both as Diane and the voice of Mereda, the name of which was changed to Carla Jean in the homage to her for No Country for Old Men character, That is correct.
Speaker 3: Here's Dan Wright in Saint Louis. He says, Josh, great accent work this week. It ends with the question mark I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I think that's I think that's supposed to be an exclamation point like in Canada. Yeah, it's a typo.
Speaker 3: This week's Masacar Theater is Pixar's Brave, a movie I loved when I saw in the theater and have not put much thought into it. Sense it might be time for a revisit. Well, there you go, Like Daniel, why not one.
Speaker 1: More common here from Dylan dom and Blair Nebraska. It's Josh's beloved and boring. Sorry, Josh, brave ouch. I'd love to hear Joshua Adam take on Kelly McDonald's No Country for Old Men accent next.
Speaker 3: That might be more painful than Scottish West Texas.
Speaker 1: Someday, Dylan, you might, you might get your dream.
Speaker 3: All right, the hat pretty brimming, Josh, This one, I guess was fairly easy. Go ahead, reach into it and pick out this week's winner.
Speaker 1: Our winner is Abby from Denton, Texas.
Speaker 3: I love that Abby won, Josh, because, if I'm remembering her email correctly, she's actually this this may anger some people. She's actually not really a Film Spotting listener. It's her husband who listens to the show. She just likes to listen to Massacre Theater.
Speaker 1: She's a listener to the show.
Speaker 3: Then I guess that counts right, and she she won her husband a prize in this case, come on.
Speaker 1: It works. You're legit. You're legit.
Speaker 3: Congrats Abby and Abby's husband. You can email Feedback at film spotting dot net to claim your prize, film Spotting tote bag, film Spotting t shirt, or a trial membership to the Film Spotting Family.
Speaker 1: With the symbol.
Speaker 2: Would the wou would The was Why do you say that?
Speaker 1: Why do you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: You said say it like I said.
Speaker 3: We move on to this week's edition of Massacre Theater, and I guess I have to well, I have to hate Sam because he's gonna make me sing, which is something I can't do at all. Everyone's going to hear that in a moment, Josh. But this is the first opportunity I get to to break out my brand new guitar.
Speaker 1: I just bought this. Whoa wow. Yeah, you know what, first performance you get to write it off as an expense.
Speaker 3: There you go, exactly, that's right. It is an electric guitar. I don't have it plugged in. I'm not going to play the acoustic because I want to play this. So it is a musical number here anything else.
Speaker 1: Not. Only am I distressed because I was literally kicked out of middle school choir for I'm gonna say sixty performance reasons and forty percent behavioral reasons. So really it's because I couldn't sing. So I have that hanging over my head. Also, the rehearsal process for MASCAR theater is usually Sam will suggests a scene, I'll watch it, Sure, we'll do that, and then just before we record it, we'll watch it again. Right, So I did watch this scene maybe eight ten hours ago. I don't know what's going on with my VPN. I can't access it here in Scotland. The YouTube clip that Sam shared so I'm pretty much going in half blind, half blind with no sense of tune listeners enjoy.
Speaker 3: Enjoy is not the right word for this. I actually started off with the guitar. So you're going to give me the action. I am as ready as I am going to be Josh and.
Speaker 1: Action. Whoa whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa whoa? What do you singing? There? You got the root? And sing? You singing the root? No? Uh? Singing?
Speaker 3: Everybody's gonna sing.
Speaker 1: Didn't I give you a sixth? I don't think so? Can you give me a sixth? There? Can you sing a sixth? Everybody's gonna sing?
Speaker 3: No, everybody's gonna sing sing.
Speaker 1: Sure, let's try it again? One, two, three? Huh? Can I say what? I'm sorry? Go ahead? No, you got a problem on the bridge?
Speaker 3: No, I was gonna Can I switch? Can I change out of my costume?
Speaker 1: Costume? Are you hot? Yeah?
Speaker 3: But also, I mean I've been wearing it for a month.
Speaker 1: You know the policy we all gotta wear. We all gotta wear the uniform until we're ready to take it off. I think you're real close. I just don't think you're quite there yet. You did not sing that sixth? And I want to see you sing that sixth and.
Speaker 3: Scene as anyone out there, like listeners like Taylor Cole in the Chicago area, anyone out there is a music teacher. They all know that neither one of us came anywhere close to singing a sixth.
Speaker 1: I played the sixth. I don't even know what that means, So.
Speaker 3: I know what it means, and I played it, but neither of us sang it.
Speaker 1: So that that.
Speaker 3: Is it for this week's edition on Massacre Theater.
Speaker 1: If you know what film we mercifully survived.
Speaker 3: If you know what film we just massacred, email the movie's title, your name, and location to feedback at filmspotting dot net. The deadline is Monday, March ninth. We will select the winner randomly from all the correct entries and announce it in a couple of weeks. But honestly, Josh, everyone got to hear that they're all the winners.
Speaker 1: Sure, and that's the show. Yeah, we killed the show.
Speaker 3: I love it when we end with these kind of numbers, You know, the mascer Theater are just like, there's nowhere to go.
Speaker 1: Just mean it for some reason. If after that you want to connect with the show on social media. I guess you could find Adam and the show on Instagram, Facebook, letterbox, YouTube. He's at film Spotting. I promise I won't sing at you on my social channels. I'm at Larson on film. Film Spotting is independently produced and listener supported. You can support the show by joining the film Spotting Family at filmspottingfamily dot com. That way you'll be able to listen early and ad free. You'll also get a weekly newsletter, monthly bonus episodes, and access to the entire show archive. For show t shirts another merch go to film spotting dot net slash shop.
Speaker 3: In the archive that Film Spotting archive, we have some Catherine O'Hara conversations, though you have to go way back. Sam has noted where the wild Things are episode two seventy eight, Away we go. Yes, she was in that episode two sixty one, and Sam swears we reviewed for your consideration in two thousand and six. He might be right, but he says he can't find it in the Film Spotting Guide to the archives and now listener Bill McLaughlin is just going to be off in a wild goose chase. He's going to think it's something wrong. I'm not sure we reviewed it, so I don't know. We'll get some detectives on the case. In limited release, Pillion is expanding. I'm definitely hoping to catch up with that one. Jessica Chastain is a socialite engaged in a dangerous affair with the Mexican ballet dancer Okay in Michelle Franco's class critique Dreams. Werner Hertzog has a new documentary, How Josh Ghost Elephants?
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 3: I'm intrigued in wide release Scream seven. If I had said, if you weren't looking at the page in front of you, and I had said, Josh, there's a new Scream movie coming out. What number do you think goes on appends to the end of it, what would you have said?
Speaker 1: Would you have known it was seven? I would have guessed six or seven. I am, up to this point Adam a Scream completist. So I'm gonna need I'm gonna need to see this and probably will because the last two I think there's two are the most you know, not like the reimagined ones. They've been interesting. I wouldn't say they've been anything like the first film, but they've been interesting. So so yeah, I might have to catch up with this and report back. Okay.
Speaker 3: Also available vod you can see or streaming you can see on Prime. Paul McCartney Man on the Run the latest documentary from Morgan Neville, and if you haven't heard it already, check out the Film Spotting feed and hear my conversation with the director Morgan Neville. Next week on the show, we will have a discussion for our Pantheon project of Akira Kurasawa's renown Rascho Man, and we will share our top five unreliable narrators.
Speaker 1: Film Spotting is produced by Golden Joe Deso and Sam Van Hagren. Without Sam and Golden Joe, this show wouldn't go. Our production assistant is Sophie Kempinar. Special thanks to everyone at wb easy Chicago. More information is available at wbeazy dot org for Film Spotting. I'm Josh Larson and.
Speaker 3: I'm Medam Kempinar. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: This conversation can serve no purpose us anymore. Good Bye.