Speaker 1: Samsung versus the Pixel. What's going on? I'm Richdmiro. This is rich on Tech. You guys know that I do a live call in show on my Facebook page at facebook dot com slash rich on Tech, and here is a recent call from that show.
Speaker 2: Hi, Rich, I'm Marianna from Redlands and I have a question regarding the Samsung and the Google Pixel too. I need to get a new phone because my regular Pixel died, and I want to know which phone do you think would be better to go with. I do like the Pixel, I like the phone, I like the apps, I like everything about it.
Speaker 1: And you're wondering if you should jump to the Samsung. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I should go with the Samsung. I do take a lot of pictures, so I'm not sure which camera would be better or which phone would be better for me.
Speaker 1: Which Samsung model are you thinking of? The Note nine? Okay, so here's the deal. I absolutely adore the Pixel. I think that. I mean, let me tell you, let me ask you. I mean your pictures that you're taking when you upload them to Facebook and share them and show people. Are they not just wowed by what you're capturing?
Speaker 2: They're amazed that I can take them.
Speaker 1: Right, I agree. Every time my mom has a Pixel and I convinced her to get that, and I'm telling you, she takes pictures and they blow away every other picture I see posted to Facebook. They just look amazing because you can't take a bad picture with this device, right right, So here's my advice. You have the original pixel, not the Pixel two, right right.
Speaker 2: I have the Pixel five point one. But the battery is draining and an alarming rate since the upgrade to Google nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the Android nine pie, and don't forget you know. The good news about the Pixel and Google and the way they do their software is that, yes, you just got that initial software release, but Google updates their software every single month, which is good news. So, yes, there's some issues with battery drain, and people have said there's been issues with charging, but Google has been very responsive with that device in getting your software updated. So even though you're having issues right now, you may not have those in the next week or so or a month or so, I should say. But with that said, the Pixel two has been out for almost a year now. The thing is the Pixel three is coming out in October, so the question really is this is twofold. Do you want to wait for the Pixel three and get that device or do you want to jump on board with a Note nine. I'll be honest, I think overall you're gonna get better pictures out of the Pixel than the Note. Now. The difference is the Note I think is a better overall device. It offers more, It has a better screen, it has the it has the headphone jack, which I know you haven't had for a long time, so maybe you're over that. It has, you know, just little software touches that Samsung ad in that are kind of nice that the Pixel doesn't have. I love the Pixel, but to me, the Pixel is kind of a one trick pony. And what that one trick is that it takes amazing pictures. After that, it's kind of boring. And I'm not knocking it. I'm just saying that the Samsung, if you got that, would have a lot more to explore. I do think you're gonna take better pictures overall with the Pixel. And the question is do you want to go with the Pixel two or the Pixel three. I'd say go with the Pixel three. Just because the Pixel two has been out for a year. I've been using that and with the nine it's fast and it's snappy, but it's still showing its age. Because here's the thing. Phones do not slow down. What slows down is the software on them gets so much more advanced that it's requesting more resources of the device that it just can't handle as it gets older.
Speaker 2: Interesting, do you have any hints about what maybe the Pixel three it's gonna offer.
Speaker 1: You know, to be honest, what I'm seeing in all the leaks and the rumors is that it is going to be identical to what you have. I don't think we're going to have an amazing new feature on it. I think the camera's going to be improved a little bit, but it's really tough to improve the camera. Even from the Pixel to the Pixel two, I'm not sure the camera was that much better. I mean, it's just it's still pretty darn good, and I think it really is the best camera out there. So I don't think you're going to see something that's crazy different on the Pixel three versus the two. We may be surprised, but every leak I've seen looks like it's just an evolution of the pixel, which, you know, my only question, my only hope is that they make it easier to hold in your hand, because I feel like it's a it was a little blocky for my taste.
Speaker 2: It feels that way for me too. But I like the Google App Store. I like all the apps I'm able to get, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to get all of the apps that I like if I do happen to switch to the Samsung nine.
Speaker 1: You'll get most of the apps. It's just the software different, you know. The software that runs on the phone is a little bit different because it's made by Samsung and it's on top of Google. So I mean, i'd say, if you're loving your pixel and you're perfectly happy with it, I would just stick with Pixel because unless there's a feature that you wanted out of the Samsung, there's not really a reason to move over to the Samsung's. That's kind of the bottom line there.
Speaker 2: Well, I thank you for giving me a lot to think about it. I'm gonna probably end up sticking with my pixel because I really do like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if the thing is, if your pixel that you have right now, if it's getting too slow and you feel like it's getting kind of a little bit wonky. If you're up for the challenge, you got to spend a Saturday. You can make sure everything's backed up and then format your phone back to what's called a factory reset, and then you could reinstall all your apps again. I know it's a big job, but it would make your phone probably perform a little bit better because think about it, you've been using this device now for two years. Just like anything, it builds up a little bit of gunk in there, and it does slow things down as you update it. So that's something to think about. Marianne, thanks so much for calling. I appreciate the call. If you have a tech question you'd like me to answer, be sure to like my Facebook page Facebook dot com slash rich on tech and turn on those notifications. You know exactly when I go live and you can call in. Thanks so much for listening, Amrige Tomiro. I'll talk to you real soon.