Speaker 1: Welcome in to the New Orleans Saints Podcast, present a vi Secake. You'll hear from players, coaches, broadcasters and writers that cover the NFL on a daily basis. The New Orleans Saints Podcast starts right now. Here's your host, Aaron Summers.
Speaker 2: Welcome into the New Orleans Saints Podcast. Aaron Summers alongside Saints legend Luke McCowan, we have enjoyed being here at the Combine all week. There are drills that started yesterday afternoon and continue over the weekend. Luke, what do you like about the combine drills and getting to see the on field workouts.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm a football junkie, and so anytime I can watch these guys, I always say this that I love watching talented people do their thing. Whether you're a musician or a painter, or a basketball player, or a golfer or a fisherman, whatever, if you're talented at something, I enjoy watching you excel at that. All of these young men are extremely talented, talented athletes. I said it the first day we were here. I enjoyed listening to them in their interviews.
Speaker 4: They're very polished.
Speaker 3: Certainly, I hope that that they've taken the time to invest in PR development. I know most of these bigger colleges especially have programs that help these young men learn how to answer questions, look people in the eye, be authentic in what you're saying. But I enjoyed that part of it because that's that's part of the process. It's part of watching these young men grow up right in front of your eyes and grow up really fast.
Speaker 4: I just had.
Speaker 3: A conversation a little while ago this morning with cam Ward's family, his dad and his sister. They're they're small East Texas from where I, you know, an hour or so from where I'm from. And so just and his dad said, what do you remember most about this process?
Speaker 4: And I said, I.
Speaker 5: Remember the people.
Speaker 3: I can remember coaches that I had interactions with and players that I had interactions with twenty years ago that maybe I got to play with or be on the same team with, and then lost touch for two or three or four years or five years or whatever. And then you come back here and it's just a collection of people doing their thing, and you run into people that you've created memories with twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: Because of the scouting combine. Chris Simms, I played with Chris.
Speaker 3: He and I spent three years together in Tampa Bay and so saw him the first day here.
Speaker 4: Hadn't talked to Chris or seen.
Speaker 3: Him in five six years probably, and so just getting to sit down and chat with him for a little while, and so you remember those things. But I enjoyed that part of this from my standpoint. And then just watching these guys go out and put it on the line. On the field. We got to watch the D line and the UH and the defensive ends do their thing yesterday. It was highly highly impressive. I'm glad I'm not playing anymore. Those guys are way too fast now. But it's a lot of fun. I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that coverage will continue over the weekend as other position groups work through the on field workouts, go through the drills, and that's available to see on NFL Network each afternoon starting at two o'clock Central three o'clock Eastern time. And I always like watching the quarterbacks just throw the best. I didn't even think about that. Of course you're going to take it there though. No, it's been it's always a good week and it gives you a really good perspective on what's available, who's available, what to look forward to once the draft comes here, gonna be in Green Bay this year, coming up shortly, and the Saints have the ninth overall pick, so top ten pick for the Saints from there at eight other picks, so it could be extremely active.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: And and you know, we had Bucky Brooks on this morning, and I you know, he the consensus has been best player available when you're sitting at nine, and it's not just a a star studded here's you know, fifty Blue Chippers, but here's a bunch of really really strong Day one starters that you can't go wrong with. Whatever the best player on your board is at number nine, you'll be okay, we've got it. We've talked about this. We've got a number of holes to address.
Speaker 5: You know again that.
Speaker 3: The depending on who you read, the needs are greater from one side of the ball to the other. But nonetheless we've got things to figure out. Mickey gave ering endorsement for Derek Carr and at least trying to work that situation out contractually. That's probably the number one thing that needs to happen, even prior to the draft, just so that you know what the needs are, because that affects free agency and the money that you can spend there. And so when you target people with money that you have in free agency, that affects how you approach the draft because of people that you feel like you can get in free agency that maybe you won't have as high of a grade on in the draft.
Speaker 4: So a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 3: I am a big proponent of best available at number nine. Yeah, whether that's running back, defensive end, tight end, or big time receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's going to be a fun draft to follow, and we'll have you there everything you need. New Orleans Saints dot Com the entire way. You mentioned Bucky Brooks, he was one of the people we did talk to today. He's NFL Draft analyst, works for NFL dot com a lot. He's here this week doing some coverage for NFL dot Com. They're digital pregame shows. And then we talked to Matt Miller, who is the ESPN Draft analyst, and he gave us some really good insight into what he expects the Saints to do, names to watch, and everything like that. So we're gonna kick off these interviews with Bucky and then head into Matt Friday. Here at the NFL Combine. Right here on Radio Row Aaron Summers alongside Luke McCown and Bucky Brooks from NFL Network. You're a popular guy this week because you're the one that is ranking all these players. Every email that I get, it's like, well, Bucky, I see at this place.
Speaker 6: How is it for you?
Speaker 5: Is different? Right?
Speaker 7: Because this has become like a market event. Everyone loves the draft. Everyone loves kind of turning to Calvin the Ford to think about which player is gonna be the stars of tomorrow. So it's fun kind of speculating and projecting. It's fun catching up with like some of your old friends from the business and then deal with all the agents and all the agents like, hey, do my guys solid And I'm like.
Speaker 5: I don't really know your guys. So there's a lot of that, but it's all over.
Speaker 7: It's a fun time because this is the only time that all the football people are in one location. So it's part big event in terms of the Combine, but it's really like a catchup and a convention all in one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about the uniqueness of the combine and the setting that it provides. You were here some thirty years ago, I was here twenty years ago, twenty one years ago. Talk about the uniqueness of how it's changed, how it's morphed into what it's become today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a big deal now.
Speaker 7: Back in the day, man, you talk about thirty years ago, it was a like it was going to never never Land. You didn't know what you were walking into, You didn't know the drills that you were doing. You didn't really understand the magnitude of the event back then, how important it was to your draft status and those things. But now, because we NFL Network has made it a TV show, everyone is prepared for all the things that they need to do, and so it's hard to surprise the players. If anything, the way evaluators look at players, if you don't perform well here, if you don't kind of know what's going on and you borrow you do yeah like well yeah, like it speaks to your lack of preparation and though those things. But I still think it's one of the best things to kind of be a part of because you get a chance to see guys continue to take steps closer to their dreams.
Speaker 4: Well, let's jump right into your mott. You've got us take in Jalen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Georgia from Georgia versusal linebacker.
Speaker 7: So the thought is, when you think about Jalen Walker and the way the league is playing, we're seeing more teams try and use players like Michael Parson's where they're the second level hybrid. They can play linebacker, they can play edge rusher, they can I think the word that I've been heard hearing is points of entry when it comes to being able to rush the pass. Right with Jalen Walker as someone who can do that, you'll see him play off ball linebacker Georgia. You can see him come off the edge and have a sack presence. And when you think about the age of the Saint's defense, you would like to think that, Okay, we need to find some dynamic athletes that can play on that level. And also Brandon Staley coming over, he had a player in Derwin James who used as a hybrid. He's used hybrid players before, so to me is kind of like a perfect fit.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He used Khalil Mack in a very versatile role.
Speaker 3: He used Bosa in a very versatile role, and the majority of football now is played in eleven personnel where you need a guy that can stand up and rush and drop out and cover right. And so a guy that has experienced playing outside backer, has experienced with his hand in the dirt rushing from the edge is it can be a valuable asset.
Speaker 7: And also when you're thinking about it, not necessarily that the Saints needed a culture change, but when you think about what you get from players coming from Georgia, Yeah, how hard it is, and just the competitive nature that is created in that environment. You get a chance to bring that over a lot of times when you're a new coach, you have a brand new coaching staff, you try and flip the culture internally, and sometimes you do it by your own presence and the new standards that you create, but a lot of times you do it with the people that you bring in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been interesting talking to Kellen Moore and even the front office. They are really big on the player interviews here this week and how that could affect their locker room. They want to find the right people to bring in. I think they're on the same page there. But with the new staff, how do you see what maybe we've traditionally seen from the State Saints and how they draft changing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's tricky, right because new head coach, new schemes. They have different demands in terms of the type of players they want, but the front office and the coach and the scouting staff remains the same. So how did they change their eye How did they change what the preferences are. That takes a lot of dialogue and communication. Because Kellen was hired so late. Obviously they won the Super Bowl when he was with the Philadelphia Eagles, They're still probably having some of those conversations. So this is the first time that everyone has been able to get together and have meetings and talk about, Hey, here's what we like at wide receiver, this is what we would like to have in a tight end, in a running back, offensive line, all of those things. And as they continue to work through that, you'll see the board kind of shift and you hear different names kind of pop up associated with the same as they kind of settle in to the type of player they want to bring in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff Ireland said that the way the defense is going to be, it opens up a lot of players for them on the board. It there's more people that they might be looking at.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because with Brandon state that Brandon Stally is a disciple of Vic Fangio, and what he would like to do is kind of do some different things, play a little umbrella coverage over top, do some things when it comes to the front. You can play with some bigger guys with some smaller guys like and really when you go all the way back to when he was first of coordinated with the La Rams, they did play with a lot of smaller guys, and it does change what you can look for because whether we're talking about hybrids or the big bodies on the front point of attack, it's a lot easier to find.
Speaker 5: Little guys than big guys, and if.
Speaker 7: You can find a way to play good defense with those, it does open up the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah, talk about the just the way that the influence of what the Eagles did in the Super Bowl, certainly defensively to a jugger out of an offense or what has been over the last couple of years, what they did defensively, and how that's going to change everybody else's view of how to play defense in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's not only necessarily what they did in the Super Bowl, but I would say it's the construction of the team. If you look at how the Eagles have they've been going to two Super Bowls in the last four years.
Speaker 5: They've done it while flipping their roster.
Speaker 7: They are a team that drafts early a year or two early before they really need a player.
Speaker 5: It's a great point.
Speaker 7: They always invest in the offensive and defensive lines, which gives them an opportunity to dominate. And if you hear them say, they say you only invest top picks in two types in the trenches, offensive defensive line and guys.
Speaker 5: That can score points.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 7: So if you think about guys that can score points de b wide receivers and running backs, but it also will be like your guys in the trenches that can dominate an old line D line. I think a lot of people will kind of look at how they've been able to build their team and how they're so young and so deep and so talented, and see if they can steal some of those ideas and use that blueprint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what are some of the holes the other holes that the Saints need to fill in this strept this year?
Speaker 7: You know the thing about the Saints and I feel like they've said this for years, like the defense is an aging defense. They're long in the teams at every level, and I love Cam Jordan, but at some point you got to have like the air apparent the next one to do it. Look to Mario Davis another one, like you got to have someone to say Tyren Matthew. So each of those three positions are positions that are core positions because you got to have a pass rusher, you need to have a traffic cop in the middle of the defense at the second level, and then you have to have a play making safety in this league sure to be able to get it done. I think those are holes that need to be addressed. But really it's Kellen Moore comes over, you naturally want to put your hands on the offense and figure out, okay, can we solve this offensive line. I know they've kind of made a soft statement about Derek carn doz things, but you got to get a quarterback of the future in the building if you don't believe that Spencer Ral or the other guys is a guy.
Speaker 5: So to me, I think it really is.
Speaker 7: A best player available draft for the same stake and take just the best player in every round and live with it. Because I don't think it's necessarily a needs based dress. Hey, let's upgrade the talent on the roster we figure out to play with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting in listening to GM Mickey loom As he said that we may keep all nine of our picks this year and really load up on some young talent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, look at it. I don't think there's anything wrong with it at the end of the day. And look, this roster is deep when it comes to like trench warriors and those things. It's not as deep at wide receiver. There's some solid talent at defensive back end and running back. I think what you want to do is you want to be selected with the players that you're bringing in. You want to make sure you nail it with good players regardless of position. The only way to build a championship caliber team is you got to load it with really good players. And as much as you want to kind of address needs, you still want to make sure that the players are blue chip players, because the teams that win championship at a championship level tend to have eight to twelve blue chip players, many guys that you eventually can see or envision being Pro Bowl caliber players. If you get those kind of players in your team, you can figure out how to do it.
Speaker 3: Percent on the offensive side, who should the Saints target, Well.
Speaker 7: It depends, you know, Like I wouldn't see an offensive player early, but I do think you know what I'm saying. When we're talking about addressing the wide receiver position, you can go and add more weapons there. To think about the wide receiver position, Like, you have good players, but I can't say that this is like a Starling draft. So you talked about the guy before we got on air, Isaiah Bhn. Yeah, he can be a really good player, but he's like a second or third round player. Matthew Golden. I would say he's like a second round player. So you want to identify those kind of guys that can come in and make it happen.
Speaker 5: I would say like tight In.
Speaker 7: Like to me, I think the board is wide open for the Saints to do whatever they want.
Speaker 5: Tight In running back, wide receiver.
Speaker 7: I know Alva Kamar is coming back, but at some point you got to get the next great one.
Speaker 5: And this is the year. We're in the second or third round. You can get a great running back. Absolutely, you take.
Speaker 2: A look back kind of a big picture, not just on the Saints, but the way that the draft may play out. You think we're gonna see a lot of surprises or a lot of movement.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 7: The thing is, there's always a surprise on the first stay when it comes to the quarterback situation, as much as everyone has kind of poop pooed on the quarterback class.
Speaker 5: And it's not like, but last year's class.
Speaker 7: I remember last year, people didn't think last year's class was great, and then bow Knicks emerged as a player in the.
Speaker 5: Year, and then was like, oh, that class was great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but we didn't talk about both Nicks, And then I remember the outrage when Sean Payton took bow Knicks at twelve. To me, it's similar in terms of everyone knows Shader Sanders and Cam wored will probably be the first two off the board in whatever order, But now it's identifying the third one. Is it Jackson Dart, is it Jalen Milroe? Do Will Howard and cal McCord get into that mix? And then if they do get into that conversation, is that a first round conversation or second round conversation. All of those scenes kind of factor in, But it's a hard position to evaluate. The only thing you can do is keep taking swings at the position and hope that it lands. But when you looked at the playoffs, I think seven or eight they were in like the final, the final, the quarterfinals, they were they were first round pick trump picks.
Speaker 5: So you have to expend the money.
Speaker 7: And now the thing is the pick has to match the performance in the production of the players, so you can't stretch it. But you have to find a player that you deem worthy of being the first round pick, and then you got to take it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in today's day and age, with the with the salary structures for rookie players the way that it is now, it gives you a little more leeway in taking a young player early. You know, we used to say it's gonna set you back two, three, four years if you take a quarterback in the top ten and you miss, And it's not necessarily the case anymore because of the salary structure for rookie players.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you should be bold.
Speaker 7: And the thing that you would like to have is everyone on the same page ownership, everyone within the building, but also your fans understand that we're going to take swings and misses at quarterbacks, we're gonna step to the plate and we're gonna keep psycling them through. So let's not overreact if we put the quarterback out there and he's not good. Like you think about the roller coaster the carousel that the Saint say last year with Spencer Ratler, was that Jkner player. Yeah, like, hang, they're going back and forth and everyone's our rays. I'm like, well, hold on, Spencer Radler is a fifth round pick. Like, the expectations shouldn't be that he's gonna come and have it all solved. But once you draft a quarterback, whenever we said no, matter what we say a he needs time. When we put him on the field, the expectations that's gonna be a super Bowl quarterback?
Speaker 6: Absolutely Okay.
Speaker 2: Free agency wise, do you think that there are a lot of people that you could get better with because I've heard that they feel like it's kind of a weak free agency class as well.
Speaker 7: It is in terms of like the O line, right, there's there's no one that you can expect to be a gad that's gonna come in. When Kansas City locked up Trey Smith and said they're gonna put him on a franchise tag. That kind of took the Marquee Trench player off off the board. I mean, they're talking about Cam Robinson being available for Cam Robinson was traded last year in the middle of season from Jacksonville to Minnesota. Like, it's hard to think that. Okay, now we're gonna go and back up the Brinks truck and give him a load of cash. It's tough because the quarterback market is gonna dictate some of the free agent market which guys go and how they play musical chairs there.
Speaker 5: But really, there there aren't.
Speaker 7: Many like blue chip names that are gonna hit the open market. And that's Look, that's kind of the way it should be. Your best players shouldn't hit the market. You should pay correct.
Speaker 5: To do that.
Speaker 7: And so that's why you hear all these team builders talk about draft and development is the best way to do it because you can't predict which kind of blue chip players are gonna shake free when it comes.
Speaker 5: To free agency.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that makes sense. What's your favorite drill? Here to watch?
Speaker 5: Favorite drill?
Speaker 7: I think everyone likes to forty because it's more like a track meet for me as a youngs out. They always talked about, hey, look at the jumps because even though we can, like you sit in the stands, you can see him from afar, but the jump should correlate with the forty times. So guys that run fast should jump out and jump far. So a guy that's gonna run in the four to four range, his vertical should be high thirties or forty. And if it's not like that, then becomes an issue like well, wait a minute, Like that doesn't mean sense. So I like looking at those drills, and then some of the positions specific drills, like with the DB's like how they flip and turn, how they do those things. I think at the wide receiver position, it's really hard because you know it as a quarterback, you're throwing the guys that you don't know. Everyone runs a coral route differently. Everyone expects the ball to be there. But there is something to watching how guys naturally catch the ball. Because we talk about wide receivers running fast and those things. But Hall of Fame executly Bill Pouland, you talk about can they catch? And it's one of those underrated things when you're looking at guys like can they legitimately just catch the ball, Like, did they catch it properly with their hands or do they have a tough time with it? Because if they struggle here, more than likely condine to struggle because it's something that should be very natural, and if it's an unnatural deal, it's really hard to improve on this skill.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love watching these young men come out and compete.
Speaker 5: And I was.
Speaker 3: I was a fourth round pick coming out of Louisiana Tech. I couldn't wait to get here. In stand so I can tell that you were from Louisiana at all. Yeah, well.
Speaker 2: You can you the country.
Speaker 3: But I couldn't wait to stand on the field with the Ben Roethlisbergers and the Eli Mannings yea, and show them what I got. Like that, then, so what's your take on guys that come here and decide not to participate.
Speaker 7: So it's hard because I can see it from both perspectives. I can see it from a player standpoint, where you're like, especially if you played a long time, you're like a four year player, you played a bunch of paid fifty games. You're like, hey, man, you've seen all the tape. It's not much more that I can do it. And it's the horror stories of someone getting hurt. Yes, so I always worry about that part of it. But then the other part from a scouting standpoint, when you have like depth at a certain position, you want to see those guys go back to back and I want to see the best guys perform back to back to back, and if they feed off of one another, and who rises to the challenge, who falls by the wayside. Because some of the pressure that we try to create here manufacture here, it's supposed to give us an idea on what you're going to be like as a pro. So can you perform your best in averge situations?
Speaker 5: Because everyone knows this is not ideal.
Speaker 7: You're not sleeping much, you're all over town, you're doing a bunch of things that are on common.
Speaker 5: You're probably gonna have a better performance than your pro day.
Speaker 7: But are you willing to kind of grind it out and give us just the best that you have on that day?
Speaker 5: How do you handle the stress of it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, because that's really what it is, because it is how are you when you're not at your best? Well, if I can get a gauge of where you are when you're not at your best, I can probably feel really good about you when you really have it together.
Speaker 6: That did y'all go through interviews with teams when you were here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did that. Man, it was in the train.
Speaker 7: They used to have like the train station, and then they had the main thing. It's over at the train station where the informal interviews where everyone is just grabbing you and making you sit down and you got to talk to everyone and it's not a time limit, no, they can just hold you and talk to you. And then you had the formal interviews that were like fifteen minutes or whatever. But I just it was just chaotic. It was a lot of talking, a lot of conversation. And back then, thankfully before like now HR is tuned in, Like the questions were random as all anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like yeah it is now.
Speaker 7: I mean they would just ask you all kinds of stuff for your if you could be an animer, your a catory dog, like stupid stuff like they've gone away from like those kinds of questions and a lot of people now in those fifteen minutes, they make it really just about ball, Like when you step into the room, they pop on the tape and it is all about ball.
Speaker 5: Because when you really think about the process.
Speaker 7: You're only with the guys a handful of times, and it doesn't even amount to maybe forty eight hours total. You're there on a school visit where the area scout may talk to him, may not. You bring him in for a Top thirty visit, you meet with him here at the combine, and then a random occurrence via zoom. That's all you know. And so you're making multimillion dollar decisions without really knowing the kids. So it's a lot to assess us a lot to try and figure out when you're projecting how guys not only is going to play, but he's gonna fit into your locker room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll never forget. I got drafted by Cleveland. But the worst meeting that I had was with the Cleveland Browns. And they were notorious for taking you to the back room. They had like you know, a suite and then another door, and you go to the back room. There's the head coach and the GM and then a and then a sports syke and like like heat lamp and everything like right here. A little bit oh man stressing you, I mean, Butch Davis recruited me to University of Miami out of high school. I ended up going a little little Louisiana Tech right, very first question, why'd you choose Louisa and a tech over Miami?
Speaker 4: God, man, let's put me on the spot. You know, but the heat lamp, the heat well, see if you sweating.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's some stories where, uh, we can't disclose the names, but where guys have taken prospects on the golf course.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, and golf.
Speaker 7: Rounds with them because you know, like you're golf like like getting tea box first. Tea box is nerve wracking for everybody, But can you keep your stuff together when it's pressureized when you're playing with those things like so there are little things that you would do to kind of see how guys react. But this has really become a very sterile environment when it comes to those things that they try and keep it as much about ball as possible unless you have egregious character concerns. You try not to waste a lot of time dealing with that part, and more so about who the person is and how are we going to get you to play your best.
Speaker 5: Ball at the next level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much for the time. I appreciate and I love it. Always to have you here. It's great having you in New Orleans recently for the HBC Legacy bullets as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fun, right right right at the beginning of Marty.
Speaker 4: Grass, super important, right, super important.
Speaker 5: I mean it was, but Marty Grass was a lot. It was a lot.
Speaker 7: It was a lot going on going on. It's I don't I don't know if they just schedule it. Like there was a lot going on to manage. But it was fine.
Speaker 6: We weren't out there in the parides.
Speaker 5: You didn't see me the flow. It was a lot of beads, yeah, a lot of bea a lot of bees. Yeah about the with a lot of beats.
Speaker 6: All right, good for you, Thank you so much for showing us.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for having me here at the NFL combine Aaron Summers alongside Saints legend Luke McCown and Matt Miller from ESPN. You have covered all things this upcoming draft, So I need to know is this week the super Bowl for you or is it the actual draft?
Speaker 8: The actual draft is a super Bowl, because that's like, that's fun. This is like tax time for an accountant. You know, it's stressful. There's a lot going on. You're trying to make sure you don't forget anything or like that you talk to a team and you don't say a player's name wrong or something.
Speaker 4: So it's this is a stressful week.
Speaker 8: The workouts are fun, Like once we get to the actual workouts, you kind of get to kick your feet up and that's like, you know, we just get to geek out and watch football at that point. The media stuff is a blast. I love getting to talk to like different fan bases and different people.
Speaker 4: But it's just a little bit stressful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 3: So number nine and number forty we want to jump right in. Yeah, you're two round mock for the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 8: If I did do it today, Gosh, the Saints are the hard team for me, I'll be honest, because it's you could go anywhere at nine. Yeah, So I tend to go like Jalen Walker Georgia because I think when you have a team that has needs in so many different spots, it's like, let's just get impact players, Like let's get a guy that can be a difference maker, a tone setter. He's played linebacker, he's played edge rusher. I say, you just let him pen his ears back and go get the quarterback. I know he's a little bit undersized at two and thirty two hundred and forty five pounds, but man, he was every time I watched Georgia play, he was the best player on the field.
Speaker 3: And a guy that can assimilate into a Brandon Stay defense goes from three four to four to three, and he's dabbled in both. Maybe a guy that can can do multiple things in that defense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we saw that some when Staley was with the Chargers. He would have guys who fit that mold of like sometimes you're standing up, sometimes you're stacking as a linebacker. Sometimes you're just putting your hand in the dirt and going and getting it. So I would love Jalen Walker if he's there at nine, at forty, I think you go up the other side. I think you got to get wide receivers, playmakers on that side of the ball, especially with the future uncertained about Chris o Lave, I think you have to be looking at those whiteouts. This is a good year to take a white out in that range. I don't think we're gonna see many come off the board in the top twenty picks. Maybe just Travis Hunter so when you get back to forty, it's like, Okay, is Matthew Golden from Texas there? That's kind of I think his range is in that area. Is someone like Jayden Higgins from Iowa State, who is a little bit more physical six foot three, two hundred and fifteen pounds, even the tight end position like Mason Taylor. If Mason Taylor's there at forty, like, I'm all over that, right because they need that someone that can just be that difference maker on offense. We know, like Kamara's great, Derek Carr's gonna be back at quarterback, Like, let's give him some help, Let's give him some weapons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what about a Ted McMillan.
Speaker 8: So I'm torn on Tet and I never want to like talk badly about a prospect. I have some concerns about his ability to separate over the Topay, he's six'.
Speaker 4: Five can he can win at the catch?
Speaker 8: POINT i think he's quicker than, fast and you see that sometimes he'll take a hitch rout and he'll make a guy, miss but then you's getting caught from behind any lot of contested catches where he doesn't separate down the. Field SO i think you Know Red. Area he's gonna be a big impact because he's gonna be able to just out jump guys and make you play for the. BALL i don't see The Drake london comps, necessarily just BECAUSE i don't know that he has that juice to pull away from.
Speaker 2: Guys you Mentioned Travis, hunner and you mentioned him as a wide. Receiver obviously he's taken interviews as a. Corner he was here today as A. dB how do you see? Him?
Speaker 4: Man he can do whatever he wants to do for.
Speaker 8: Me like if he IF i was running a team and he, said, HEY i don't want to play, Corner, like, okay let's do. It if he only went to play, receiver that's. FINE i think he's better as a receiver than he has a. Corner And i've watched him play a person this, year and, like he's not the biggest. Guy you, know he's six,' one one. EIGHTY five i worry. About corners we were Talking about ted McMillan And. DRAKE london i worry about him at one. Eighty five i'm gonna come down hill and tackle those. Guys consistently we saw it in twenty, twenty three he missed three games with the last rated liver because he took a really hard hit on. The sideline he's not. This big He's not patrick's tan. Out there, you know he's a. Smaller GUY so i would rather him have the ball and evade tacklers to be the guy who has to go tackle those like de kN metcalf out wasting boy like. Thirty pounds we don't really need him trying to. MAKE tackles i THINK he's i think he's. A playmaker i would personally try to. Sway him HERE'S what i would. Tell him wide receivers make about twenty five million dollars.
Speaker 4: A year corners make. About fifteen that's an.
Speaker 8: Easy decision and you don't have to tackle anyone playing, wide receiver.
Speaker 3: So that you don't see any opportunity for him to play. BOTH ways i THINK he's i think he'll, do IT and, i mean you've played IN. The nfl you know how hard that is to play. One position but he's.
Speaker 8: DONE it i think the biggest thing will be the canny handle the workload mentally on, both sides to be. In meetings how do you? Handle THAT and i Know from colorado he would go to. Corner meetings that was his, primary position and then they would have a package for him a. Wide receiver BASICALLY he's, i mean he's a four point. Zero student he's, whip smart so there's no lack of. Ability there but it's just from a time management canny handle learning. BOTH positions i would worry about. The development can you develop effectively at two positions or are you holding yourself back from, you know becoming a great player at. One position are you sacrificing that to be good at?
Speaker 2: Point two not everybody Can Be taysom hill and be in five, different, yeah.
Speaker 3: Correct And and taysom even within those he had very specific roles to play in, Those meetings so he would be, in Meetings and taysom was after, my time but he would be in meetings only for the time that they were talking about his, his role his, plays right and then he would get up and go go to the go to the other, tool meeting if.
Speaker 4: You will so it's different in.
Speaker 3: That aspect but But to, matt's point like imagine trying to come down And Tackle derrick henry at one hundred and eighty four pounds or whatever, IT is i guess IT'S just i don't see that being able to translate with the load and the amount of game planning that goes in is just a different level of game planning than it even is from the.
Speaker 8: College GAME so i don't see. It, happening yeah it's goning me fun, to watch like to see him make a go. At IT and i know he said today's.
Speaker 4: He won he.
Speaker 8: Wants both they asked me if he, Returned kicks, he said already have. TWO jobs i don't. Need three but, you KNOW like i would put him at wide receiver and tell him he's our.
Speaker 4: Punt, returner yeah THAT'S what i would do for those are your? Two jobs stop trying to.
Speaker 2: Tackle people corner is a position that's also come up For the saints in, this draft and they do have pauls and a deepot who potentially go in a. Free agency here is a free agent come in the next couple. Of weeks and then You Have alante taylor who has moved inside outside throughout the season and In kol. A McKinstry but do you Think the saints need to look at adding another corner if You.
Speaker 4: Lose, PAULSON yes i think that's the.
Speaker 8: Short answer and at nine there might not be one true corner having come off. The board i'm A Big will, johnson FAN and i know he's had the, foot injury the, turf toe so he had played a whole. Lot Recently but i'm still a fan. Of his he's my number three. Overall, PLAYER wow i still think. He's great and, you know he played two games this strary he had two. PICK sixes i mean he's and. He's built he's six, foot two two, hundred pounds. Big guy yeah. He is and, you know folks will get on Here, about oh he made some business decisions as. A tackler every cornerback ever, Does Right LIKE i'm i grew Up Watching dion sanders make business decisions. At corner you guys the greatest to ever, Do IT so i don't worry about that. Too much he is a ball hawk and he erases his side of. The field so if you could, YOU know i Loved kool aid. Last year if you could Have A will johnson And kol aid as your corner duo for the next four or five years, like that that's a pretty dang.
Speaker 3: Strong, secondary yeah so a couple of a couple of other mogus have safety at. Number, nine yeah talking about the young man From, From Georgia, Malachi starks what do you?
Speaker 5: See there?
Speaker 8: That's early? For me nine would. BE early i actually haven't a round two Great. ON starks i thought he had a down year compared to twenty. Twenty three he had to play a little bit out of position. THIS year i think he's more of a nickel than he is a true. FREE safetyay i think he plays in That Like buddha. Baker role, you know that's where you would want him kind of hanging out more near the line. Of scrimmage think he he struggled at times playing deep safety just because he didn't have that speed to close on. THE ball i think That both texas games kind of highlighted that where he got beat deep a.
Speaker 4: Little bit so nine would. Be early now forty if, he's, there like that's a.
Speaker 8: Different conversation and, interestingly enough a lot of those nickel type safety guys have fallen in. The draft Brian, Branch Fell, buddha Baker Feil, Antoine winfield Judi.
Speaker 4: Fel so if, HE slips i think forty is a much. Better value love it.
Speaker 2: Love at least you value them participating in the drills that are about.
Speaker 4: To, happen YEAH like i want everyone.
Speaker 8: To, compete Yeah by april, Twenty fourth i'll forget who did. AND didn't, i think, you know It's like i'm not going to knock a guy for not competing because we don't always know what's, going on, you know especially now with the college football playoff doesn't End, until february it feels like so, it's like, you know especially those four teams that had the, late run they're they're eight weeks behind in their. Combine prep so you can't really get on a guy if, you know if you Played At ohio State Or, notre dame it feels like your season just ended and now we want you to run the most important forty yard dash of. Your life like you kind of understand those guys wanting To hit paul's and do it at their.
Speaker 3: PRO day a Lot of saints fans want to Know About spencer rattler entering year two and what that. Looks like obviously there's questions surrounding the contract and all. The Things With, Derek carr mickey sounded very convincing yesterday with his endorsement of what they're trying to.
Speaker 4: Do with carr to keep.
Speaker 3: Him there let's Talk About spencer ratler and what he needs to show stipping into.
Speaker 8: Year two, you know my evaluation on him coming out of college, even once he just needs to. Be consistent you'll watch him make a handful of plays and, you'll, think oh, my goodness this guy is he's.
Speaker 4: Got it, you know he's.
Speaker 8: A playmaker he can, move around he's got a, big arm especially for being a. Little guy he's got a big arm and he sees the. Field well but she's got to do, it CONSISTENTLY and i think you want to rain him in a little. Bit almost, you know it's where he's not taking some of the chances that he made. In, College especially but, YOU know i would be excited about the development. Of him that developing quarterbacks has kind of died IN. The nfl it just doesn't really. Happen ANYMORE so i think when you have a guy that has some of those tools, and, traits, like yeah let's see what he, can become especially now with, you Know with kellen there someone who has that experience. Playing quarterback he's been influential in developing. Some quarterbacks what he just Did in philadelphia with. A quarterback they can move around And j Jalen and spencer are very Very, different bill but like a quarterback that can move around and make. SOME plays i would be fascinated to See how rattler Develops.
Speaker 3: Under, kellen so Speaking Of, jalen hurts let's Talk About, jalen MILROE who i think is the perfect Comp To. Jalen hurts not the most polished passer coming out. Of, college, yeah right, highly athletic. Incredibly intelligent he can do Exactly What kellen moore would like.
Speaker 8: To, DO no, i mean that's the Dream For, jalen milro is that You Become. Jalen hurts i've been asked about that a couple times in the. LAST month i Think With, jalen hurts what helped him more than Anything Was. Lincoln rightly, you know they completely changed his. Passing mechanics they loosened. Him up if you Remember at alabama he was so stiff and robotic and everything looked like he was thinking. About, it well he Gets to oklahoma and it's. Completely changed he's, loosened up his accuracy. GOT better I think, milroe needs he needs his Version Of, lincoln rightley and that might. Be killingmore you know somebody who who, can say let's build you from the ground up and you know this better.
Speaker 4: Than me you should be talking, about this.
Speaker 8: Like the footwork and. Every like there's so much disconnect in. His game he just needs that time and someone that he trusts, to, say like let's. Rebuild you let's start at the base BECAUSE like, i mean he might run a four to. THREE here, i mean he's a. Fantastic ATHLETE and i think if you, draft him just like they Did With Jalen, hurdson philly you want to have a package for, him early like let's get this guy on, the field because he is such a difference maker with the ball in, his hands and we saw It. At alabama but he's he's really interesting because he regressed as a pastor. This, year yeah you just saw it kind of, fall apart AND so i think that's where these interviews are going to be huge for him as his teams being able to, find, out hey like what happened like early in, the year you were, on fire and you actually the arm got worse throughout.
Speaker 4: The season what? Happened There And adawen, drea.
Speaker 2: Yep exactly but the way that this draft is do you think they're gonna be surprises in.
Speaker 8: THE top i think this year we might get more, surprises because Like if LUKE and i did draft, boards together in, most years we're getting to be kind, of similar, you know like the top fifteen guys are the top. Fifteen guys this year's gonna be completely different because there's just huge disparity in the, top fifteen definitely in the. First ROUND so i think we'll get. SOME surprises i have nightmares about, this happening about a player getting Picked and, i'm, like wait what who? Got picked but You Know michael pennocks at eight last year. Was, this yeah by, the way we called that.
Speaker 3: One said somebody's gonna take it inside. The, Team yep so maybe it wasn't surprise. To him it wasn't.
Speaker 8: You know like but on, draft night there's there's always gonna be something shocking, that happens and it is literally our worst nightmare, of, like okay let's be prepared for everything just.
Speaker 6: In case how much do you sit there and check off?
Speaker 8: Your mocks, OH yeah i mean no. One will i'll probably the only one would admit to you that we. Do it, but yeah you want to know AND like i don't compete with like my colleagues, and stuff but my buddies will be watching the draft text to me like you got that.
Speaker 4: One wrong you got that, one wrong and it's, Like okay it's this is a.
Speaker 5: Hard job.
Speaker 8: You know we're trying to project like what five hundred players are gonna do and thirty two teams are gonna do Seven times so, BUT yeah i mean we're aware of it.
Speaker 3: For sure so who's that under the, radar player, small school maybe small conference that's going to surprise people here at?
Speaker 8: THE comment, i mean you guys might be aware Of grades Aabel From North. Dakota STATE he's i think he's a first, round pick and that might be. The surprise, you know he had A Great senior. Bowl week some of that could.
Speaker 4: Surprise.
Speaker 8: HERE gosh i think because of like, social media we're almost immune to, surprises now, you know because like everybody's got a, highlight reel There's ALWAYS but I Think, baseial tooting the running Back From, virginia tech is gonna do Really. Well henna he's gonna test, exceptionally well and in this running back class he gets. FORGOTTEN about i think he would be the GUY and I know tech isn't a, small school but we all know like there's five or six great running backs in. HIS class i think he's been forgotten about to, some degree and he could really shine Here.
Speaker 2: At dolan hulker was somebody that obviously stood out last year because of the catches multiple right that he made and he's.
Speaker 4: Your awareness right to make.
Speaker 1: The.
Speaker 4: Catch, yet well.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for stopping by and chatting with.
Speaker 4: Us today always happy. To you, Thanks, guys thanks, Thank.
Speaker 2: YOU luke i appreciate you being here all week and sharing the show, with me giving us all of your insight.
Speaker 4: As well this has been.
Speaker 3: A ton of fun walk down. Memory lane Although memory lane didn't look like this twenty one, years ago but it's been a lot.
Speaker 2: Of, Fun, okay well we might just tap into you and your knowledge again in, the.
Speaker 6: Future so be.
Speaker 2: Ready, Anytime great, All right thank you, so much and, as always you can find us wherever you get your Podcast At New Orleans saints podcast Or On New orleans saints.
Speaker 1: Dot com thanks for listening To The New Orleans. Saints podcast present A Buy seat geek join us three times per Week On New orleans saints. Dot Com The SAINTS mobile lap or you can download the podcast. On iTunes we'll see you next time right here On The New Orleans, saints podcast presented By seat geek