Speaker 1: Bloomberg audio studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Atas are increasingly shaping America's space race. The FCC decides who gets access to spectrum, approves satellite communications systems, and is now confronting the next frontier of the space economy, from orbital data centers to direct a device connectivity. Joining us now is FCC Chairman Brendan Karr to discuss the future of space communications, spectrum wireless policy before we turn to some of the major media issues facing the commission. Chem and Karr, thank you so much for being back on Bloomberg Tech. Should we start with maybe the more nascent area of SpaceX's business plan, which is orbital data center. I think a lot of value to the audience and to Americans is could you just explain how the FCC regulates orbital data center, why it has a role in oversight of how much material from a compute perspective will be in orbit above vith.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's your question.
Speaker 3: So at the SEC, and frankly all across the Trump administration, we're focused on two things. One, we want to make sure that consumers are right away feeling a difference in their life, and right now we're seeing that on the connectivity front, with speeds are up, prices are down, competition is intensifying. But the second piece coast your question, which is what are the fundamental regulatory changes we can do. They're going to pay off for consumers in the long run, and a lot of that has to do with the emerging space economy. To your point, we're seeing many, many more things go into orbit, whether it's all of this new generation of low worth orbit satellites or data centers, and so the SEC has a role to play one to make sure that everyone has the spectrum access they need in order to launch those but even things like orbital debris end up hanging off of a lot of the SEC's authorizations, and of course that's in conjunction with a broader group of regulators as well.
Speaker 2: When SpaceX or another player comes to the SCC seeking approval to deploy data centers in the form factor of a satellite into orbit, what are the considerations by which the SEC decides approval to block approval.
Speaker 3: Well, the first thing for us is we want to go much more quickly. You know, when I took over, we launched we called a Build America agenda, and a key piece of that is boosting America's space economy. And it used to be when we would get satellite applications that would come in, we would get you know, one or two or three a year, and we would do individualized, bespoke custom reviews. And what we're fundamentally changing is to an assembly line mindset. In fact, we're going to vote this month to change how we run our Space Bureau operations so to'll be objective criteria and if you hit those, you should expect much faster SEC approvals. In fact, we've cut the backlog of SEC approvals down by about half. We're moving much faster, and so we're giving people objective criteria.
Speaker 1: Hit that way, we can.
Speaker 3: End up improving you know, thousands or hundreds of thousands of applications, whereas before our processes would take us, you know, months or years to do a small handful of that.
Speaker 2: Away from orbital data sense, it's a big focus right now is the wireless networks in the context of space. Prior iterations of the SEC debated and looked at a fourth national wireless network with echo start right. And I think I'm right in saying, Chairman car you were critical of prior approaches to that future market. What has happened in the interim is that the SEC has handed some of those same licenses to SpaceX for starlink. What do we interpret it through that mechanism.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, there was a mindset several years ago that said we have to have four separate standalone mobile wireless providers, let alone many other competitors that we have in the broader connectivity market. And people said that if you didn't have four, that prices would rise for consumers or speeds would slow down. And we haven't seen that obviously at all. We've completed the process of facilitating Dish Echo Star effectively exiting the market when it comes to mobile wireless, and consumers continue to benefit from a lot of price competitions. It's a great time for consumers, but it's also a really good time for companies because we're taking a lot of the costs, unnecessary costs out of the system, whether.
Speaker 1: It's permitting reform, whether it's.
Speaker 3: Allowing providers to retire these old copper networks that they had to subsidize in addition.
Speaker 1: To their new networks.
Speaker 3: And so this old view of having to have four individual mobile.
Speaker 1: Wireless providers or the sky would fall.
Speaker 3: We didn't buy, And obviously I think the evidence is coming in to show that this new theory is correct.
Speaker 2: You so sold Bloomberg last week that you have not had substantial conversations with SpaceX about their wireless ambitions. Substantial conversations, so chem cars, decisive conversations of any degree of substance with SpaceX about it.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think I've had any of much.
Speaker 3: I guess if I hadn't used a substantial maybe I would have avoided the follow one question. But I don't recall having any conversations with them about that. Look, I do think one of the things we're really excited about is this new emerging trend towards direct to sell technology. We can go straight from one of these low worth orbit satellites right to a handset. Obviously Starlink is doing that, we've facilitated them getting from Spectrum to do it. But also Amazon is looking to do it, ast space Mobile is looking to do it. So we want every single competitor in this sector to do well.
Speaker 1: Overall.
Speaker 2: You know, the SEC has done quite a large body of work to come up with some kind of regulatory framework I think right for direct to device. The accusation is of maybe favoritism towards SpaceX. You've also denied several of their requests. How are you going about building out that framework?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of things. On direct to sell in particular.
Speaker 3: You know, our view was to have two or three facilities based providers in that segment so that the United States could lead the world in that. And that's something I think it's really important to President Trump is that US lead when it comes to these new emerging technologies, and we are in really good position to do that. There are always lots of stories about SEC taking action to benefit Starlink or SpaceX, and I get it, it probably results in more clicks, but the reality is that we are uplifting every single operator or business that's in the space economy, or taking actions that benefit Amazon, LEO, that benefit many smaller providers as well, so reflect Orbit Logos, Ast, Space Mobile of course SpaceX as well. So there's many many companies in this sector that are benefiting from our new mindset at the FCC, which is to go faster with these approvals. We don't want to get stuck naval gazing.
Speaker 2: We're live on Bloomberg Television and on Bloomberg Radio. This is Bloomberg Tech speaking with that CC Chairman Brendan Karr. There's also a technical consideration about spectrum, which is why is it important, Chairman, for a direct to device provider to have exclusive spectrum use in and amongst everything else that's happening up there.
Speaker 3: Well, it's a very efficient way to operate to have your own spectrums. We've been very open to spectrum deals. On the one hand, we've had about one hundred and thirty billion dollars worth of deal flow go through the FCC this Trump administration, not just mobile wireless, but across the board, and we're moving hard on spectrum as well, and not just direct to sell. We're voting this month to create one hundred and sixty megahertz of new spectrum for midband offerings and what's called the C band, and it's effectively going to create what we're referring to as a super band of four hundred and forty megahertz wide channel for midband spectrum for five G for six G.
Speaker 1: But you're right on the satellite side as well.
Speaker 3: So SpaceX has access to I think it's sixty five megahertz of spectrum that they can use for direct to sell Amazon just now that they are looking to purchase Global Star, which also has spectrum that could be used for direct to sell technology. So you see a lot of the players in this space ast as well that are looking to obtain their own spectrum rights so they can stand alone and offer that service in a compliment to existing connectivity.
Speaker 1: Services Jem and Coard.
Speaker 2: Just before the show started, Bloomberg broke some news in a story that a group of about a dozen states is poised to sue to block the Paramounts Guidance Warner Brothers deal. I think they had been prior reporting that various attorneys across those states have been preparing for that. Anyway, I know that the FCC kind of has a nominal role to look at the foreign financing of such a deal, But I hope you appreciate to ask you about what the latest is there and your reaction to a stateswide antitrust suit.
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to see a real legitimate anti trust action, but of course, you know, I leave it to the anti trust experts to weigh.
Speaker 1: In on this.
Speaker 3: I did think it was interesting that there was a statement at least attributed to the Californi Attorney General that said that they would not sue if Paramount agreed to spin off CNN. It's hard to conceive of a competition any trust theory that takes you all the way up to the point where owning or not owning CNN as part of that broader group is a legitimate line that anti.
Speaker 1: Trust or competition law would draw.
Speaker 3: For our part, we do have a piece of this with respect to some of the foreign investment, and we're running a standard process on that, and we haven't made a final decision there yet.
Speaker 2: In recent interviews, you've also been asked, of course, about Disney, and you've said that you've not made a decision on whether to pool Disney's broadcast licenses over various diversity and inclusion practices. Again, remind us of the SEC's remit in that area, But what it would take for you to look at a potential action.
Speaker 1: With respect to Disney in particular.
Speaker 3: The sc has three proceedings that are going on, or sort of three buckets of issues, one starting all the way back in March of twenty twenty five, I wrote a letter to Disney leadership raising concerns about some of their practices, including what we call invidious forms of DEI discrimination, where there's potential evidence indicating that they may have been discriminating with effective pay or compensation or workplace opportunities based on race, gender, or protected characteristics.
Speaker 1: There's a role for the SCC there.
Speaker 3: We have particular rules on EEO policies and discrimination.
Speaker 1: So we've been looking into that for quite a while.
Speaker 3: In fact, we've been doing some letters of inquiry, our versions of subpoena, and frankly, the view was that Disney was being disingenuous in the way it was responding to the FCC's inquiries, and so we took the next step in our enforcement abilities, which was called in all of Disney's broadcast licenses for early renewals. See has now applied, and they have to demonstrate that they've been operating in the public interests. There have been petitions to deny the renewal of those Disney stations, and so the FC is looking at all of that very carefully right now, to your point, we've not made the final decision, but at this point Disney is demonstrating, attempting to demonstrate that it should get those licenses renewed and we'll ultimately see what the record shows.
Speaker 1: We have obviously a separate.
Speaker 3: Issue going on with Disney right now with respect to the View and their claims of the View being a bonifide news program. But we have the DEI, the license renewal in the View proceeding going. But more broadly, we're trying to hold all broadcasters accountable to their public interest standard. We have issued similar actions with respect to a number of other broadcasters. I think for years people took the view that broadcast TV should be treated just like cable or a podcast or a newspaper. But that's not what the Communications Act in Congress said, and so we want to make sure that all broadcasters are in fact living up to their public interest obligations.
Speaker 2: FCC Chairman Brendan Carr joining us from our DC studio.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Indeed,