Speaker 1: Now, the Shotgun Starting Golf is full of mathematics. There's a lot of setup work that we have to do in order to make a tournament work. So I'm going to demonstrate to you just exactly how we do a shotgun start.
Speaker 2: Here we go, alright, alright, alrighte.
Speaker 3: Did no man.
Speaker 2: Dart your Welcome to a special bonus episode of The Shotgun Start. We are going to look back at the twenty seventeen Open Championship won by Jordan Speeth before his uh just a guy era maybe as it's come to be known on this podcast. Joseph Lemania and I jumped down on the horn this week for an extra hour hour plus after watching the four hour broadcast back and went deep on what was a fairly boring major and then became one of the most exciting final hour two hours to a finish to a major that we've seen in recent decades. So it's fun to dive in with him this episode. This special look back at the twenty seventeen Open Championship is brought to you by Mercedes Benz. They are a patron, the official patron of the Open Championship. They also offer Compact to Powerhouse, a variety of SUVs, each with flowing lines and precise edges, expertly balancing elegance and aero dynamics. They have intuitive Mbuxai learning capabilities that recognize your habits and driving preferences to create driver profiles unique to each driver. You can experience the power, precision and versatility of Mercedes Benz SUVs, and they're not just on par with the best, they are the best. Mercedes Benz SUV's offer the space you need and the opulence you deserve. I like that. Enhance every aspect of your game with Mercedes Benz suv, from massage seats to ambient lighting. They level up every side. Check out nbusa dot com for more and again. They're proud to be an official patron of the Open Championship and have been a big supporter of our work. We will be over there next week chronicling the Open Championship and of course covering it here on the Shotgun Start. Now, let's get to Joseph and this look back at the twenty seventeen Open Championship grudings and welcome to a special edition of the SGS rewatching the major championship series. Joseph and I here talking about the twenty seventeen Open Championship from Royal Birkdale, Well, where we will be returning for the first time next week for the twenty twenty six Open Championship. We have done this this year for the nineteen eighty six Masters nineteen eighty six US Open at Shinnecott Kills. Those were Beef Your Boys. Joseph and I have rewatched the full twenty seventeen a much more modern major than the nineteen eighty six editions we talked about earlier with Kevin van Volkenberg and Andy, but so hopefully this won't be a Beef Your Beef You're a podcast episode. But we did get through the full four hour, thirty eight minute I believe broadcast on YouTube. It is there available to watch. This major, of course, was won by Jordan Speeth. That's been distilled down to, you know, the thirteenth drop on the driving range and the go get that. We will go through it and much more detailed than that. I'm not sure you need to watch the four hours and thirty eight minutes, but there were a lot of more odds and ends and amusements. Correct, Joseph, Yeah, as I was watching it. I was excited knowing that you were watching it simultaneously, the stuff you were picking up on some of the amusements on your end. So I'm pretty excited to see what notes you have.
Speaker 3: We have some awards planned, Worst Dressed, Favorite Commentary. I feel like that category there was plenty to choose from, given the World Feed in some of the commentary that I was hearing. But I'm really excited to get into it.
Speaker 2: This is the World Feed, this four hours and thirty eight minute video. It is not NBC, it is not Golf Channel. This was only the second year of Golf Channel having a major and NBC being on the Open Championship. I think they debuted it with truon in twenty sixteen, so kind of getting their groove over there at NBC if they had lost the US Open to Fox. But this is not the video that's on YouTube. I did find some stuff in my old notes where Johnny Miller on the call called it the greatest finish he's ever seen in a major championship, with Speeth going nuts after the whole adventure at thirteen, which I quite frankly forgot about. Maybe we can get into that in a minute. How nuts he went. I knew there was the near hold and wan and the go get that, but I didn't realize how crazy he went after the adventure at thirteen. So this is not Johnny Miller NBC commentary. It is the world feed, which is good at times, stinks at others. I'll call it out right now. Their coverage of thirteen, after we take twenty minutes to figure out where he's going to drop on the driving range is a disgrace, is a total disgrace. And he finally gets ready to hit and Mikey and Michael Greller is going to the top of the dude and their shouting They've got MIC's there. You could hear it. I just need a round number from here, go to that and give you the line there and then like they're still going through the process, but that's more interesting, stay with the process. Instead, they go to Rory, it's miles out of it, hit your drive off eighteen and rapa Cabrera Bao approach shot. After spending twenty minutes sorting with this drive is where this drop's going to be, And they get to the very critical moments of the final yardage, the final club choice, the final like line and final details, and they're showing Rafaka Barabeo and they come back to it speeds over the ball like in his backsway, they lose the ball. They never see the ball in the sky in the air, nor do they see it land. So they go to this drone shot when the ball goes off the club and it's all clouds, there's nothing, no, absolutely hopeless of seeing the ball in the air. Then it lands on the ground and they don't have it. They don't pick it up on the ground. So this wasn't where I plan to go off the top. Yeah, what while we're talking about the sky feed, I just that jumped out to me. At the end. They spend so much time chronicling the ruling and where he's going to drop, and then they like just leave it at the final calculations and then can't pick up the shot in the air or when it lands. That was a disgrace. Otherwise it's a fine broadcast.
Speaker 3: I promise we'll get to the action. I didn't know we were going to start with sky complaints. But my god, the homer ism. When Matthew Southgate makes a putt, you think like the commentator's kid just came home with straight a's on their report card. They're throwing a party.
Speaker 1: In the booth.
Speaker 2: Matthew Southgate, who is back. He's a member the boy from whatever they call it, the Essex and Essex something and the local and he's back. He just qualified again. He'll be at Birkdale again in twenty twenty six. The big big lad.
Speaker 3: I mean, when Speed makes a super long putt, it's a pretty muted response generally even on the back nine. But when Matthew Southgate makes when you think there's a party.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. We're just going to keep the team going. You've never heard a broadcast try to will how Ton Lee into contution more than the four hours of this broadcast suggesting how Ton Lee was on the precipice of winning this open shit. It was preposterous, Like give it up, stop with the how Tom Lee's story. Just nothing gets you can't win. But god, they kept to hold it on too. It was on the range. You just got a chance. How much how To Lee coverage did we need? I couldn't believe it. Willing tried to will him the contention or still in it unbelievably finished like six shots out of the base. All right, Uh, you wanted to lay out a little bit like what the golf world was like coming into this twenty seventeen. Obviously it wasn't that long ago, but there are some things that have changed dramatically. Obviously, Jordan Speeth hasn't won a major championship. There were maybe some hints and signs in the first thirteen holes of why that might come to be. But what was the golf world like coming into this Open Championship? Then just the third of four majors? We still would have the twenty seventeen PGA to come at Quail Hollow, where Justin Thomas would win. But prior to this, it was Sergio at the Masters and Brooksy at Aaron Hills, and that was our majors year. What was the golf world like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm concerned about the length of this pod spiraling out of control.
Speaker 2: So I'll be like, no, no, I'm not worried about length as long as is good.
Speaker 3: Okay. I had some pre tournament notes, including some writing I came across from Brendan Pooraf and some predictions for the tournament. So I'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 2: This is like, I have fifteen years of stuff on the record and you're going to find bad Is this what you're trying to throw bad takes of your young pop? I'm sure you got bad ones going Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: No, No, they're actually not bad. I just I honestly found them. They're amusing for different reasons. All Right, it's a pretty open tournament, and that's not actually something that you wrote about. And part of why I wanted to do a little bit of setting the scene was because I mean, at this period of time, you're covering golf full time. I wasn't. I was on the outside looking in, So I was pretty interested in what you remember about going into that championship at all. You were not on the grounds, correct.
Speaker 2: No, No, definitely not. What I would say is if you talk about the open thing, maybe this isn't a good way to make things shorter for this pod. Is we went from like is there a Big three Big four era? Right with Rory and Speath and Jason Day, And then there was a moment where Ricky was involved and then Dustin joined it is like Big three or Big four and that was it. Those were the dogs, those were the lead dogs. And then that sort of dissipated Jason Day had his issues, speed receded Rory like couldn't get it done at majors consistently. And I guess maybe that's where the more open sense came from, where there wasn't that that three or four clear stars and I think JT this was like the year of JT, even before he'd won the PGA, ended up winning I think five or six times if I'm not mistaken. So what was it like other than being open?
Speaker 3: It's interesting that you mentioned that because I believe in his pre tournament press conference maybe it was his post I think it was the pre tournament press conference, Jordan speF talks about how we're probably never going to see a reign of dominance like Tigers again, which is just kind of interesting that this is where we see not the last gasp of speed. I think that's putting it a little harshly, but it's the last major championship that he's won, you know, seems unlikely that he's going to win one again. So kind of interesting that to listen to him talk about that that how hard it is to dominate the game for an extended period of time. But Rory's dealing with his rib injury for the front half of this year. Oh yeah, so he comes in in, you know, kind of shaky form. It's pretty fascinating. One of the notes I have they ask him about his price coming into the tournament. I don't know how many times a player has been asked about their odds at their pre tournament press conference, but they say to Rory, like, you're twenty to one this week? Does that seem about right? And Rory's like, well, I'd probably bet on me at twenty to one, but it seems about right given my form.
Speaker 2: It's a number. I wonder when the last time he was I mean, that's a big number for him.
Speaker 3: That's a good question. When the last time Rory would be twenty to one?
Speaker 2: I think the last five six years, I would guess least maybe going back. I just about that, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 3: DJ's the favorite, Speef is closely behind. John Rahm is kind of bursting onto the scene, has just won the Open. Stuart Dollar is kind of one of the favorites. And yeah, I think as I was reflecting on this part of my takeaway, and I don't I don't mean to diminish Jordan's Speed's win, But like, was this a little bit of a stretch where we didn't have like a super dominant the top end wasn't as strong as you know. Maybe it's been other times in the past when like Jason Day was playing really well, and we've had years where obviously the last few where Scott he's playing super well, where that top player in the world or that standard that's being set by the top two or three guys is really strong. This might have been an area where it wasn't as strong. I think some evidence for that Speef you know, really struggling, which we'll talk about, I mean being able to get it done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're sitting here watching this video for the first two and a half hours, like where are the where are the alphas of this game? Just like this is off, Like Coochure is just fine but kind of puttering along. You ended up shooting sixty nine. I think, yes, speed was a gazat like Brooks and Brory oft in shape. Brooks you know, is still coming into it, had just won its first major and like if they're in shape, they're just taking that by the scruff of the neck. To use a sort of a European phrase, there, and and it was just, yeah, it was completely there to be taken, certainly on Sunday, this Sunday final round watch, but there wasn't that like dominate like as Scotty just keeping it in the fairway on the you know, hidden fairways and greens guy out there ahead of them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and maybe it's a slightly disrespectful to Scotty, but it was kind of making me think that, you know, we might have a similar sort of narrative coming into this tournament at Birkdale, where Scotty's still that the clear number one and has a price way shorter than anybody did coming into this one. But it does feel a little more open than it has over the last couple of years when Scotty was playing super super good golf. I had a couple amusements from the pre tournament press conferences and then I wanted to quickly get to your predictions for the tournament. But I thought you might, I thought you might be amused by the questions that Martin Slumbers was posed during his press conference. Just he gets put through a gauntlet of questions.
Speaker 2: The first one, what were they asking about?
Speaker 3: Well, the RNA is is nothing super like nothing's really that controversial or provocative. There's like the opening comments, somebody from the RNA there maybe throw Hi a softball or something. The first question he gets is about anchoring, and Bernard Lang got mcaren first.
Speaker 2: Question, what a what a quaint time with not Saudi's or live but anchoring. That's that's great.
Speaker 3: The third question is about how golf is the only Olympic sport to this reporter's knowledge where participants are allowed to smoke during competition, and they wonder what kind of message it sends that people love to focus on j Menez his big cigar. Does Martin have a view on that? But the next question is about the rollback asked about security measures at the tournament, then drug testing, than if Bryson's putter is an alignment aid like TV coverage, a follow up question about smoking. It's just he gets put through a gauntlet of questions. There's not like what's your favorite hole out here? Just gets put through the ringer and the other amusement I have relative to drug testing. I thought, I don't know that you would remember this when I certainly didn't. You know who else is asked about drug testing? Justin Johnson Okay, okay. The question is I would wonder if you would give us your opinion on the PGA tour, the decision to allegedly introduce blood testing for doping control next year onwards and DJ I don't care. They can do whatever they have to. It's nothing that concerns me, that's for sure. So interesting a couple of years after maybe an alleged drug suspension.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I'm not aware of that. Okay, go ahead, all right. That's such a random assortment of questions. Smokey at the Olympics, roll back an great Okay.
Speaker 3: Would you like to get to your prediction? There's three things I'm not actually, I'm not embarrassing you here. But do you do you want to go? You? Who did you? Who did you pick to win? We'll start there. I don't have a favorite character of.
Speaker 2: Yours twenty seventeen. I have no idea who did I pick?
Speaker 3: You picked Sergio, your guy Sergio. This is when you're writing for SB Nation and then pick Spief is like one of the prompts that you are answering in this question.
Speaker 2: Okay, you just want travelers with the throw the club in the air, one right, hot jump out of the bonker hole, out from the bunker, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you wrote the Speece having arguably the best ball striking season of anyone in the world, but you were worried about the narrow fairways. He'll make the Cup a finish out of contention around t twenty five, so I'm not coming after you. Just kind of interesting, then the narrow fairways. You know what, we'll talk about this. I'm sure as we get into it. The speed really does slap it around, kind of gets away with it.
Speaker 2: But crazy gets away with it enough for you. I mean, thirteen is really the only time he takes a really a total loss of a stroke or can't advance it kind of thing. Right, It's either he gets a good lie, it bounces off a fan back to a nice lie, or ends up on the right side. It's crazy, all right, go ahead, And then why.
Speaker 3: I kind of wanted to get to this. You are asked for a long shot and you say, I'm going with Matt Kucher at eighty to one. He has to get a major one of these years. No, And then you go into your explanation about how he played well at the Scottish and that eighty to one is good value for Cuture to potentially shuffle his sketchers across the eighteenth s cream and receive his claret joke, So, giving you your flowers, you threw out a long shot who did have the lead on the back nine on Sunday.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. There we go, And he did shuffle across the eighteen to get the silver medal or whatever. This runner up he's at the trophy ceremony, okay, ambling pod, good pick, there you go, There you go, than on it. Been doing this for a while, all right, all right, So that's what else do you I'm sure I have some bad takes and bad writing in there. I just I don't know what else do you have anything going into it? Twenty seventeen in.
Speaker 3: Terms of pre tournament coverage. I think that was basically the only only thing that came to mind when you reference Johnny Miller. And I don't know if this is if you have this in your notes, but I don't really remember this. But apparently, when Brandon Grace shoots sixty two on Saturday, Johnny Miller is not so subtle about how much easier the conditions were. When Grace shoots his sixty two than sure, you know, it's a break Johnny Miller's record. So I found that amusing and going back and reading stuff from the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, obviously we watched just the file round like Grace was a big story. The conditions laid down and it wasn't you know it just he went out early, if I'm not mistaken, early Saturday, and maybe I'm wrong there. I thought he was on the early side of the third round and posted sixty two, and it was like we've kind of been waiting years and years, have been so many sixty threes and that sort of twenty two tens era and he finally breaks it. Of course, it is not the same on a par seventy, the same sort of you know, accomplishment that Meller is shooting sixty three on a Sunday of the US opening Open mot But yes, you could see him being frustrated with that. I don't know that there were any other major like news items from I'm sure there were from this open before we get to Sunday, but Brandon Gray shooting sixty two was a big one before we get to this YouTube video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Phil doesn't play with a driver, He plays with two three irons and a sixty four degree wedge in a three wood. Those were like you know some of the adjustments to his equipment stats is.
Speaker 2: The Frankenwood era. Do you remember the Frank Yeahood, I.
Speaker 3: Think this was. I think this was the Frankenwood pH Frank maybe two three irons, one was a hot one, one was a regular one or something like that. So that's the that's all I have the returnament.
Speaker 2: Aside from the new major scoring record, this sets the record for the biggest crowds and you British open history in England, they're clear like cause St Andrews, I guess still eclipsed it two hundred and thirty five thousand, Am I wrong? You're squinting like that's miss? They go ahead.
Speaker 3: They talked about it breaking the attendance record. I did not know there was a qualifier that.
Speaker 2: I thought it was in England, but maybe it was the attendance record overall.
Speaker 3: I think it was the attendance record over all, at least at the time because spief in his when he when he receives the trophy on the eighteenth Green, thanks the crowd for breaking the attendance record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the guy before it said of England, and England thought, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You're probably right.
Speaker 2: It's not a big deal either way. It's been broken I think several times over, maybe not in England. Should we get to major takeaways over our chin thoughts you want to go with one of your first big ones.
Speaker 3: We've already been hitting on it, but I think it's worth starting here. I mean, how poorly speF plays shocking. I mean he's out of the gates, missing the fairway left and hitting his second shot into the crowd, making bogie. He three puts the fourth hole, so he makes three bogies in his first four and I mean he's just slapping it around.
Speaker 2: To be clear, he made four bogies total in the first three days, and then he makes four bogies on the front nine of this Sunday. And you're correct, slapping it around. It is not just like, oh, he's lost with the driver, like he's got a case of the lefts with the driver the right. It's both ways. It's wedges from the middle of the fairway for some ungodly reason are just being airmail tugged left. I have it in my notes and forget what hold that was like, Uh, maybe eight or nine somewhere in there. I'll get to it, but it was just all bad. Three putts nine, Like three putts nine is like a total inexcusable.
Speaker 3: Boat shocking nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, disastrous three put of nine, which I think pulls him level with Couture again, going to the back nine, they're essentially level. He starts with the he starts at ten under sorry, eleven to eight, eleven to eight, it's eleven underspeed eight under Couture, and after that it's kind of like could we It was sort of the opposite of Stenson, Phil. It was kind of a two hook man race. Despite the broadcast exhortations to make Hawton relevant, who shot sixty three? Hawtn did like credit to him, but he was still like always three shots to three shots behind the leaders as he sat in the clubhouse. But it was the opposite. It was a two worse race. But guys just sort of puttering around. Now, Coucher wasn't bad. Speech was legit bad on the front nine, and I don't know, that's sort of lost to history, and maybe rightfully so, given the way he finished and given that he won the championship, but it's astonishing how just unprofessional. It almost looked he was the only player with three rounds in the sixties coming in. I remember that first hole well, I remember like it started with that awful, awful eye. I remember that really well, Like he hit it into like absolute jail, like just he got the worst line, and that was like the last time he really got penalized for a wayward drive in a real, real way, like a bad shot at the fourth said there quote he's feeling the nerves. He like immediately starts walking over and miss mishit on the par three.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He birdies five and then immediately hooks it left on six, and it's just like, it's just I think that was the wedgshot. That was a disaster. Just I were talking like one hundred and thirty.
Speaker 3: Yards, not six, not six.
Speaker 2: The drive was six.
Speaker 3: The drive was a drive six, he's a wooden six is a part five for the members, but a part four in the tournament. I think eight is where he hits a wedge long, the awful edge long, and he's like, I don't know where that even ended up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it hits a fan. He gets a good line. He's got like a nice that's sitting up and he can just kind of like chip it loft it down to the.
Speaker 3: Three is a bad wedge too, So I'm not sure which one you're referring.
Speaker 2: It's later. It would be eight three.
Speaker 3: He also goes over the back.
Speaker 2: He's bad. It's it's hard to keep track of. I like that they're cracking on him that he brings Michael in for only tappens. Quote what the commentary calls tappens, Like this is where he brings Grella in for Tappens and he misses it. Essentially it tappened on nine. So it's it's hard to believe how bad he is. And I would say, you know, his t shot on thirteen might be the last bad shot he hits for the entire day.
Speaker 3: He hits a really wayward drive on seventeen, that's true, but barb five and he gets away with it. But he goes way right on seventeen, hits a way, he goes way left on ten.
Speaker 2: But after thirty that it's crazy. We get like almost two and a half hours of Honestly, I think his good shots on the front I had the approach into nine, which he then three putted it so it didn't matter the driver at seven was like his only good driver and approach for Bertie, the birdie he made at five, and I think the there are three like legit good shots and everything else is sort of a recovery scramble or bad shot on the entire front nine and that continues to thirteen t shot. But then after he does all that stuff on the range, he doesn't really It's like four straight holes of nothing but good shots, which is hard to believe given we watched two and a half hours with nothing but drek me fair.
Speaker 3: I mean, Scotty kind of did something similar at Quail Hollo a couple of years ago and he won Front nine. He was awful then he turned it on, but this is like a different level of slapping it around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they called it very unspeedlike, which you know at the commentary, which think about it now, it's like this is the roller coaster we talk about with speed, except now we maybe don't get the heroics of the last five holes like we did. That was a that was a big one, is how For me, my big takeaway was how bad and boring this is a very boring watch until thirteen and what we talked about earlier, it's just like the big dogs letting them just whoever you would consider a big dog in the sport, either they're not present this day, or they're just letting the last group scuffle around behind and making not letting them making them pay in any way. And I don't know who you'd call it big dog. Rory Brooks was a one time major winner. Stenson was out ahead of him. If there was like a class top of the world player in form, uh, you know these guys were capable. You know you could have put the pressure on. You can't envision speak going nuclear thirteen through seventeen, but or fourteen through seventeen. So that was a big one. What else do you have? What was your second big takeaway?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it fits in naturally. Then Cuture, I actually think plays decently and maybe slightly better than you're giving them credit. You look a little bit dubious over there.
Speaker 2: But I watched this for four and a half hours. It took like two notes on Couture. I paid attention.
Speaker 3: My note isn't. My note is less that Couture was good and more that it is heart kind of heartbreaking to watch this whole scene. Oh and I remember it.
Speaker 2: Being heartbreaking yep, but yep.
Speaker 3: God, he carries himself really well throughout the day. He's like Smiley, He's handling it well. When Spieth is holding these putts near the end, Cuture just is kind of looking around in amazement. The drop on thirteen, which we need to get into, but Cuture handles that very well. And then the scene afterwards where they're sitting together after scorning. I hadn't. I completely forgot about that. I don't know if I ever remember watching that in real time or if I had turned the TV off back at that point. But man, going back and watching it, people should watching speF sit next to Couture and like talk through what happened on thirteen after he had just beaten him in Couture's just kind of sitting there and a little stunned after he's surprised by his family had.
Speaker 2: The lead didn't know they came over from America. He's like kind of as emotional as we see Couture right, who's typically dun man. He does like these guys are really complimentary, complimenting each other's drives and shots and all that throughout the day. But then spe starts going bananas and coachers like laughing while he's you know, he's on in two at thirteen, while Speeth is like taking it unplayable and not a not an easy chance at eagle, but a chance at eagle. It's a it's like looking like a three shot two shot, three shots swaying four shots.
Speaker 3: Swain who knows for birdie, for birdie, not eagle.
Speaker 2: He was on in two, he had he had an eagle thirteen Part four. I'm sorry, yeah, he was on it. Sorry he's he's on has the birdie pot? Sorry? Not yes? Has you look at breaking ahead to fifteen, there's only two par fives fifteen and seventeen par seventy, so has a good look at Bertie and thinking it's gonna be probably a two shot sway, maybe more. He finally gets to the level and he loses ground. When he goes after that, he loses ground going birdie par birdie on fourteen fifteen sixteen, I think right, and he loses two shots. So he's kind of like shaking his head and laughing but clearly taking it hard. Do you have the asset of the scoring? They have these two love seats. These are not couches that would be a misnomber that would be given the RNA too much credit for the situation they set up in Scoring and they have these love seats and Speed, who's just ripped his heart out, Speeth who's just ripped out Coocher's heart, has to come sit next to him on this love seat and they're like wedged in together. Look at like and Coucher's six' four whatever he, is and they're like kind of hip to hip on this love. Seat and in this probably trailer, tenth there's nothing on the. Wall there's comically some orchids that were just probably plastic putting next to. Him it's those white walled At Alfie plant who will get to in a. Minute the Low am is, there and of course there's two love, seats and It's speak talking To cooch and they're, like are you going? Home and And coucher goes he points to THE rbc logo on his. Sleeve he's, LIKE i gotta go with these. Guys Canadian open was always a week after The open, then which seemed thrilled about given the. Circumstances and Then speed that you can narrate. This he talks them through what was going? On you didn't remember this at? All did? YOU i didn't either until Watching well What happened at.
Speaker 3: Thirteen it's interesting because the commentators they're kind of talking during some of. This you can't make out, everything but from Reading coacher's, lips he looks like he looks At speed and says something to the effect OF i would have bet five hundred dollars, That and then you can't really make out the rest of what he, says and Then spif goes into, like, yeah like and then explains what happened on. Thirteen now what happens on thirteen is my third, Takeaway so if we just want to do that, now we can do that. Now But speed talks about that his drive that goes a mile. Right IT'S i was At forkdale last week AND i went over to see how far this. Is. It it's, like you cannot believe how far right that t shot is That speF.
Speaker 2: Hits at one, point the commentarier says that must be one hundred yards right of the. Fairway at least.
Speaker 3: It's it's at least eighty it's it's way way way. Right But speF says that it that the ball hit a spectator's head and bounced up and over the, dune which IS i think even during the telecast live they say something to that, effect And i'm just throwing the challenge, Flag, like these dunes are so tall that there's no way that that that's what. Happened there's no way that it hit a spectator's head and went up and over the. Mounting i'm still une Especially, Yeah i'm still confused kind of how the ball ended. Up it must have just flown, there but that was so they.
Speaker 2: Missed they. Missed the initial camera goes to a place that's, whatever forty thirty yards on the right side of the. Dune they're, like, oh there's the people shuffling around the. Ball they found. It then we learned that the ball is like on the back side of the. Dune there is an individual like sitting on his keyster and he like When spete, arrives like he has just heard some, trauma And speed, says all, right but there's no way to hit somebody's head and then like hop fifty feet in the air onto the back side of the. Dune it's just Not the explanations still. Fuzzy But speed's story was That takoucher and the scoring, trailer what he believed had, happened or what was told to him had happened.
Speaker 3: Exactly So speed starts talking to him about how the drop went, down and you, KNOW i know people probably remember, this BUT i guess worth, Revisiting speed takes an unplayable lie goes back to the what is it was the driving range at the. Time it's no longer the driving range at least for the. Event it's the spectator the fan. Village BUT i, Mean, Brendan i'm sure you have this in your. Notes commentators are in disbelief at where they're Letting speed, drop AND i gotta, say it does not look Like speith is coming back on the line of play at. ALL i don't know if that's if they.
Speaker 2: Are they're, like that's not the line he's, on but he does have to he can't walk a straight line. BACK i think some of that was where they got worked up about, it like there are trailers and stuff in the.
Speaker 3: Way, OH i. DON'T i don't think straight back on the line of play is on the.
Speaker 2: Range, okay what do you think it? Is it's more in the it's it's in The schmutz, still, yeah maintained.
Speaker 3: Stuff oh, YEAH i THINK i think someone should like absolutely look back at.
Speaker 2: This oh, god oh, yeah call in conspiracy now nine YEARS i.
Speaker 3: Think it's a. Conspiracy you look at Where speed's ball is and what's straight back online with the. FLAG i don't think it's a Where speF goes initially or where he ends, up you, know kind of doing this drop because the way it plays, out he has to he doesn't even drop the. Ball he's between like.
Speaker 2: Ye, yo then the line of sight. Relief there's a couple of things going. On so he gets way to the right, sure and forward, too and a little bit forward from where he originally went all the way.
Speaker 3: Back, Right. Like they don't make him actually drop it because he would just be dropping it on like aluminum a part of the equipment. Trailers so they just give him the relief out to the. Right AND i really don't think it's straight back online with the. Flag that is one that that is a huge takeaway from. This the commentators are, Indignant they're, like that's not even close to where it's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be they only for a, minute, though that were for a few seconds you think they were hammering that. POINT i was only when he first scampered down the. DUNE i heard.
Speaker 3: That they're pretty worked up about, it AND i, Think, brendan this is a follow up item for. YOU i guess next, week when you're, THERE i think you should kind of go over to that spot and look back at where he ends up. Dropping kind of crazy to me that he was able to get over on the driving, range but, yeah that's obviously one of the key moments of the tournament and SOMETHING i still between the ball bouncing over his, head bouncing off the guy's, head over the do into an unplayable, lie and then the. Drop it's amazing he gets out of there with a. Bogie it's a, huge huge turning point of the. Tournament but just obviously an an iconic moment in speace, career AND i think a moment that in so many ways encapsulates Who spief was as a player at his, peak and you, know sort of still is to an. Extent with the hitting shots way offline and then getting up and down out of.
Speaker 2: JAIL i, mean it's a total, circus, Right it's It's koocher hits his approach shot for and waits twenty minutes before he can hit his. Pot he doesn't take his drop or hit his, speed doesn't hit his second, shot then third would be the. THIRD i think it's over twenty minutes since his. DRIVE i like that it was one hundred yards right at one. Point one of the commentary blamed the water on the club faced as maybe the, issue just, like this guy has been hitting it in every direction miles off line for the last two and a half, hours and you're gonna play water on the club Base, like maybe it exacerbated slightly that the guy could could. Hit he's hit it nowhere near by the. Way the approach THAT i was talking, about by the, way my nose was. Eleven he half edge into the crowd at eleven and they hits the guy in the head and the guy is laughing and they, say got away with a great. Lie he's been. LUCKY i also like that he yanked one hard hook on ten and IMMEDIATELY i think It's Sam. Torrence oh he did not shot. Four they jam. Them they didn't chump. Four The european like that that four gate, keeping especially In, americans don't shout at his great didn't shove. Four lucky got a good, break did the trample down.
Speaker 3: Line so they could not be more quick to invoke the word. Fairness they're they're talking about fairness all over the. Place did you pick up?
Speaker 2: COMMENTARY i liked that they got mad and this was The. AUSTRALIAN i, mean It's Dougie, donnelly It's thomas Bjord is on the, Call Sam. Torrence somebody got upset that they were told to speed. Up they weren't even given a, warning they were told to speed. Up and one of them comments the rules officials have never tried to win a major, championship like they were indignant that they were told to speed.
Speaker 3: Up, yes and then so the thirteenthal takes twenty nine minutes total to, PLAY i believe after they hit their t shots on fourteen on the par, three okay if the rules officials then again are talking all that In Matt couture is it kind of kind of puts his hands out like, yeah, yeah like what do you want me to? Do which that WOULD i would love to Get couture's account, of because it was a little crazy that he'd be told to speed.
Speaker 2: Up THEN i did like the speek went to clearly want to go take a leak after his t. Shot now he was in tight on the. Fourteenth uh so he was potting, second no matter. What but still it's like he just took thirty minutes and, GOOD i gotta go take a leak and he'd like he catches. Up it's not a big, deal but it was just funny that after we've been waiting for the side, show he goes takes a leak off fourteen uh disappears other notes from. THIRTEEN i gotta give him his. Flowers he was in total command of the entire. Situation in my, opinion speeded there was, speedy total total, command like not really panicked at, all not, flustered not like we're sort of. USED i think there's this notion that Spetha is can get like emotional or or just gets on. TILT i think that's definitely a book on him a little. Bit he's in like complete. Command he's, like all, right we're going back, here and THEN i get, this and THEN i like he's conferring With. PARAMORE i thought he was, Like i'm gonna take unplayable from. This Then i'm gonna relieve From TiO on the. Range but, wait Now i'm going to line a site from the trucks and the commentary is, like this is getting Into sean Van dervelt, territory is what they. Say and at no point did he's been playing like shit. Awful DID i feel like he was sort of swimming in his own. Head it felt like he had a clear solution for the predicament he was. In and by the way he takes the, drop because he's like on a total grade, right and he's, Like i'm just GONNA i can't IF i hit it off this side, hill it's gonna go like thirty yards forward and just landed More schmuitzer in the. Gorse and so he gets back and THEN i think it's a three iron he sends or to some low iron Which Sam torrence claims like was could have been close to going right back the trajector could have gone right back into the, Hill AND i don't. KNOW i think it was really. Impressive it's not to say he was some like eighteen year old kids fresh off the whatever. College he'd won two majors at this, point but he was pretty locked. IN i was super impressed at how he handled that and knew what he wanted to. Do whether you think he took the right walk back or. Not on the line to the.
Speaker 3: Flat oh, no it's. Impressives he's basically telling the rules official what he's going to, do not asking if it's, okay if he can do that, yeah and seems present like he's kind of joking around a little bit with the. Fans it looks like and THEN i don't know, that not to get ahead of, ourselves but there's another moment like that on seventeen where he's about to hit his pitch yeah into, seventeen his third, shot and a camera goes. OFF i didn't remember this at, all right in the middle of his, backswing and he he backs, off handles it really well and then steps up and hits a good. Shot so speak's poises interesting you called that, out but, YEAH i thought it was really.
Speaker 2: Impressive we should note like so much of that scene is just focused on the hill and the just the, circus the trucks and. Everything like probably the best shot he hit on the hole was the wedge. Shot right he leaves, himself so he gets this iron all the way up In. Greenside it's on like a slight, downhill lie right in front of a pop bunker which he needs to clear up and over the pop bunker to then the pin is kind of over a, hump but then starts screams away from you after that, hump so he's got a kind of he's on it. DOWNHILL i got to pop it over the pop, bunker kind of get over the hump on the, green but not too much that it screams off the. Back it was a really delicate ship shot and making up and down to save a five quote save a five. There that chip shot was the best shot he hit and the whole sequence and maybe maybe the day even probably giving it too much, credit but.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's There's we're about to get to a shot, that, YEAH i think is one of the best shots of his.
Speaker 2: Career but that chip shot was kind of a little bit lost to. History in the scene of getting back in, play, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Think cuture calls that out, too maybe after the, round like how good.
Speaker 2: Of it it was in all the, Chaos, OKAY i THINK i think that drives just about the last like real shitty. Shot he misses a few pharaways to seventeen is. Bad that was my one of my big takeaways the whole. Scene they're tied at eight under and commentary is, like well at, best he's on in four While coature's on into at, best he's on it four and to make it a five of FIVE e Four and that's the first TIME i believe he lost the, lead wasn't just pulled, even but actually lost the, lead and he would respond by going, going Going. HAM i think we've kind of hit my three takeaways talking about. This uh, yeah outside of the range scene and the go get that, POINT i think that's where it's. Depends still down. To but he nearly aces the part. Three he's finally. Behind he's finally behind in the in the WHAT i call the match With, kucher and then he nearly aces the part. Three then he eagles the par five, fifteenth then he birdies the, sixteenth then he birdies you, know he gets a nice break with a bad. Drive birdie's a part, five So birdie's both part, fives nearly aces the part, three And birdie's A part. Four so he goes the, drop saves the, bogie Goes Bertie Eagle, Birdie, birdie and that was. It there was Nothing kucher could. Do it was, LIKE i don't know if it's a microcosm Of speet's career where there was an hour where you thought he was maybe the best, Golfer he's the best golfer in the, world and maybe the best golfer of his, Era like nobody can do, this this is. Incredible and there was sixty to seventy percent of the day where you thought he was barely a professional. Golfer and it's just the roller coaster of speed that now has become a little more, monotonous, right it's the roller coaster TO t fifty five? Essentially is that a decent? Analogy is this a microcosm of like of there was like two to three years there where he was the best player in the, world and there was about thirty percent of this major where it seemed like this is the best golf you'll ever. See And, Miller Johnny miller's quote to that point after some of the worst kind of head scratching, golf but a decent. Point.
Speaker 3: YEAH i think it is the defining sequence Of Jordan's speace. CAREER i think if you wanted to Understand speace's, career his, greatness his, flaws watching the hour and a half between holes thirteen and seventeen you get a feel for. It, again we've talked about the drop in that whole, scene which is crazy and again emblematic of space career because he does miss way right and way left at. Times we talked about the go get that a bomb, putt, which at the height Of speak's, powers he was draining putts from outside twenty feet more than anybody else was in the world by a comfortable. Margin but the iron shot into fourteen, MIGHT i, mean it's one of the best shots of six yards nearly holds. It it's very close to going. In, Yeah and now that that's you, know probably a shot that a lot of people don't even. REMEMBER i think they.
Speaker 2: Don't that's WHAT i. Meant it's just still to go get that point in him on the, dune and IT'S i think that the par three, shot after you've been just the mess all day is the one.
Speaker 3: Crazy and then sixteen he pours in another bomb And.
Speaker 2: Coachers, yeah from the side across the.
Speaker 3: Green, yeah it's kind of. Cool you can See coocher's face in the telecast as that goes, in and he's just he's kind of. Smiling he doesn't look. Gutted he's more just in shock a little bit and. Amazed and he handles it really. Well but that little five hole, STRETCHY i, agree that's his emblematic of space career as. ANYTHING i, mean that was a NOTE i had is that the best four hole stretch in major championship history is that just being.
Speaker 2: Played over the, reactor played a five under after looking after losing the. Lead kind of incredible five under and four holes after like being awful day and losing your three shot lead to start the.
Speaker 3: Day sure there are people who would throw out a different four hole, stretch BUT i don't, know at least in the modern. Majors i'm thinking, through, LIKE i don't think anyone's rattled off a four hole stretch like that to go from looking like they were going to lose the tournament it really felt Like kucher is going to win to just completely taking it.
Speaker 2: OVER i would just, add and this was on the heels of like one of the most, embarrassing like kind of in public view losses at a major in this in this stretch right the twenty Sixteen, masters, right he hadn't like, like oh is this happening? Again has he ever been recovered from? That and we say him like he's game? Again but but that was sort of still that context of the of the Sixteen, masters and is he pissing this away for the first three hours and then he goes crazy over the last hour and a. HALF i did like seventeen when he finally hits another wayward, shot he goes it hits the, crowd and that was three yards from the jungle when it. Hit if he had hit the, crowd they call it basically going into the. Jungle if didn't bounce, off.
Speaker 3: He had a good break, there good, break, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah t shot, fifteen the part five is down the. Middle it's the seed gets on in. Three the putt's obviously just a. Bonus but they talk about when he's on in. Two they're, like, quote he's favored again after three hours of him kind of bleeding away and then finally behind the eight.
Speaker 3: Ball jordan gets a lot of good breaks that. Day he really. Doesn't he's tweeting about, that like how lucky he. Is there's a lot of talent involved in that. Win it's distilling it down to. Lucks, unfair but there's a lot of people who, like this is the luckiest round of Golf i've ever seen in my.
Speaker 2: LIFE i Thought coocher the kiss credit That birdie on seventeen was super impressive and made it was super. Long putt that like Making sweet work for his sweets inside of him by a good ten, feet but still has to make a call it seven footer and so that makes If sweet doesn't make, that it's one shot on. Eighteen and given the way we've seen him like play all, day a five is perfectly within reason to force a playoff couture pouring that in from outside and was super. Impressive it's probably fifteen feet that. Is that's SOMETHING i had in my notes. Too, yeah that's one of the most impressive moments of the day for. ME i like When speed finally got it. Back they're saying he's up Against Harry. Potter they started referring To speed This Harry. Potter he's got to pull something out of the, fire clopping. On all, right all, right we'll get to it. Later we'll get to it. Later let you'll let you bring it. Up those are MY i, mean that's you covered my, takeaways how bad and boring it, was and how bad he was through. Thirteen that amazing play that's just been distilled down to the. Two go get that imagery in the. Mound and then my other one was How Tom? Lee how they make How tom? Started twelve shots off the? Lead they do four hours of How Tom? Lee Uh? Gospel, well the part that it wasn't.
Speaker 3: ONE i think how tong is like on the range As speed, Is, yes he, is he, is As speed is like taking the drop on the, range like how song goes back. OUT i NEED i need to look at the exact sequencing, there BUT i think How song like was probably on the range a, nearby as that whole sequence is unfolding on, thirteen which is maybe maybe he goes right. AFTER i can't one percent, remember.
Speaker 2: But any other couture thoughts you, HAD i mean Just i'll add a few few. Things for the, Commentary speed. Finishes miller, says it's the greatest finish you'd ever. Seen, You'rosay i'll wake up in a. Minute call him you are he's. Dreaming they call him you are a. Legend What speed has just done has been, heroic like the sort of the guiding up Of, speed and it almost felt appropriate given what we watched was in full force coming down the. Stretch maybe we'll get The Harry potter in a. Minute do you want to do odds and ends odds and ends, here any other big takeaways you want to?
Speaker 3: DO i want to hit on most of. Mine speed really talks About growler, afterwards.
Speaker 2: And that was.
Speaker 3: COOL i think you'd probably like this. Note apparently walking to the seven tea, box walking off the seventh tea, Box growler Made speed come back to him and he, said do you remember that group you were with In cabo last? Week you belong in that group like you're a, Winner you're you're A matt, caliber so you, know hearkening back to The cobo. Squad who was? THAT i, MEAN i was thinking AT i, think, so, yeah that was WHAT i had in my.
Speaker 2: Head but, OKAY i, mean, yeah you want of masters in THE. Uso but at this point it wasn't like he was some scrub looking for his first. Major some odds and that's AMUSEMENTS i would like to get. To cooch has a ton of support from the. Crowd, yeah, crazy and maybe it's just because they enjoy Yelling cooche and it was that's, fun, inconvenient but they're screaming his. Name cooch is very loud going up the eighteenth all the, WAY a lot of support For. Cooch one of my favorite things from this broadcast is if you are under like twenty, five and sometimes if you're under forty, five they think you're essentially the future of. Golf great gun, player who's going to dominate.
Speaker 3: Golf What Austin, Connolly.
Speaker 2: Austin, Connolly i've remembered this. Before EVEN i remember The connolly chronicles of him sort of showing up the player for the. Future he is only twenty years. Old we haven't heard much from Mister connolly since. Then Alfie, plant who's referred to as Having alfie's, army The Alfie plant. Manias he's walking up eight he was low am they, say remember the Name Alfie. Plant, well to Mister, plant they, Said i'll never forget the last ten minutes on this eighteenth. Pole that. Was that was a cool. Moment but player for the, Future Austin, connolly remember the name Healthy. Plant Brandon grace who shot sixty. Two he loves links, golf still a young. Man every chance that one Day Brandon grace could be An open, champion basically writing him on the, Clara Young Brandon grace hasn't sniffed a Mature.
Speaker 3: Do you know how old he was at the.
Speaker 2: Time he had to be like thirty three or. Something he wasn't a young maya.
Speaker 3: Slightly younger than. That, yeah he was twenty nine at the.
Speaker 1: Time.
Speaker 2: Uh How ton who we've mentioned once or. Twice bertie's the last four so bald out To she's sixty, three Goes Bertie, Birdie Birdie. Birdie he's got a great future ahead of. Him speaks Great. English he's a lovely, guy he really. Is on How Ton, lee so incredible futures For Brandon grace basically gonna win and Open Alfie. Plant Austin connolly and How Ton. Lee they also at one Point Aaron, BADDELEY i don't remember, why came up on the broadcast AND i think he shot sixty. Four maybe not this. Day he's been quiet for a while. While now you're On Australian australia twenty. Seventeen and then they wait a minute because.
Speaker 3: He was thirty six at the.
Speaker 2: Time they, said, oh perhaps not too young. Anymore they finally caught. THEMSELVES i just couldn't believe, that, like the future of golf is the athlete. Playing Austin, Contilly Brandon, grace how TAT i love. That that was a theme throughout the broadcast THAT i have what other odds it? Ends, yeah you want me to keep. RIPPING i had some good.
Speaker 3: Tweets oh, No Skip, Dale i've pulled up a bunch, here but probably the best one speak is the mentally toughest psychological mess in golf. History never seen such a great player so dependent on a. Caddie Jordan, greller.
Speaker 2: What oh, God.
Speaker 3: Skip bayless getting deep in some speech, takes talking about how lucky he, was talking.
Speaker 2: About anti speed very getting hot at.
Speaker 3: Him, huh calls him the slowest player on, tour that he Iced. Coature so, Yeah Skip bayles's getting in on the golf.
Speaker 2: Discourse love, That love. THAT i like. That Ernie els played with How tod in this and of Course holton was the one that would eventually Drive ernie insane At Roye melbourne as the. Captain they were. Like ernie was clearly enamored with How tom was, like just, shoot wait two more. Years this guy's going to drive you insane at the peak, Up oh tell.
Speaker 3: Him how to play a hole In Royal. Melbourne he does the complete, opposite.
Speaker 2: You, know With southgate who shot sixty. Five credit to, him but when he put it, out you would think he just like caught a touchdown to win The Super bowl in. OVERTIME i mean the fist, pumps the double fist, PUMPS i mean whatever special Uh rory was a. FACTOR i guess he finishes just he has the rib thing like you, said but not. Really they show him all the way around and he did he eagle. SEVENTEEN i think he eagles seventeen and they're, like, oh maybe a. Chance and he's on eighteen and they're, like if he birdie's, eighteen he'll Tie howton and you never, know, like come, on the guy is like six shots. Behind they say he's got a chance to be.
Speaker 3: FAIR i think How tong gets within one and it's just that speed then rattles it all. Off so.
Speaker 2: How ton was at, six he did no one ever has. Seven, yes he finishes five.
Speaker 3: Under he plays five under over that four whole. STRETCH i.
Speaker 2: Know But cooch was at. Eight, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: But it's not it's not completely out of the.
Speaker 2: Realm that's, FINE i understand. It it's just they kept doing it all the way to. Eight me And rory have if he can come, on.
Speaker 3: You had to enjoy when How tong left the.
Speaker 2: Range, yeah finally to get him in the, cart get him the hell. Off this is over what other odds in? IT RCB, Rafa cabrera. Bee all over the broadcast it seemed kind of. Soft guys were flying balls to the, pin seemed kind OF i don't, know stopping that was. Early maybe, NO i, agree BUT.
Speaker 3: I have a note that it looked a little more. Burnt the fairways looked a little more burnt out than at least WHAT i saw last week WHEN i was.
Speaker 2: There so minimal entertainment of the. Crowds guys just kind of wandering. IN i sent you an ass that there's a guy who shows up on eleven tea? Box what was that to take a? Selfie As spif comes off the tea box And speed has to push him like gently out of the, way so he puts his hand on his. Back they're, like, hey, man like the guy's backpedaling across the tea box with his.
Speaker 3: Phone is that just a?
Speaker 2: Fan it's IF i believe it's just a, fan and if it's a security or some, volunteer then they're also insane because they backpedaled into the tea box walkway And speed has to push him to excuse him out of the, way trying to get a selfie like a thirst bucket of the. Century that's my Thirst bucket of The watch. Award this dufist that wanders into the line of the walkway And speed has to push for his little. Selfie that Was but otherwise there's also just like green to tea walks like people just kind of no. Ropes it's. There the containment WAS i don't.
Speaker 3: Know a lot of Times slumbers was asked about the security going into, it and that must have been a but, No i'm not. Joking that must have been like some level of consider around.
Speaker 2: THAT i don't know IF i felt secure security was an, issue just more amused that the fans were in the thick of. It just, good what else do you have.
Speaker 3: If we want to get to our? Awards, yeah what.
Speaker 2: One funny, ONE i, Thought but this was? It, YEAH i mean this was When ricky was green side for all his friends winning majors bridesmade never the, bride but he was considered a top five and all of the, awards and he gets completely iced By, speed who GIVES jt a hug and then doesn't See, ricky And ricky just has to hit him on the back As speed rocks away to. SCORING i mean It's, Zach It's, Woodland speed Or, RICKY. JT a bunch of guys green. SIDE i think they've ended up all in the. FLIGHT i believe they were drinking out Of claire jugging the flight home after this From. Speed BUT i felt bad For. Ricky he's just totally Left hayn in here As Speed furst after GIVING jt a. Hug that Was that was an. Amusement you want to get two, Awards we.
Speaker 3: Can get to. AWARDS i THINK i have most of my amusements.
Speaker 2: Covered let's do.
Speaker 3: It i'm trying to think THERE'S i think that that basically covers it for.
Speaker 2: Me favorite favorite commentary, Moment So Beef johnston is Playing. Paul he's playing With Paul. Casey casey appears at the hour forty five minute. MARK i don't know if you remember. Him Paul casey leaves now The, prushers but the Comic beef is. Still you, know this was the height of. Beef not the height of beef was the year before twenty. Sixteen Pga balti. Strawl he was just he was. Everywhere so this is still running. Hot he's got the RB's logo on his shirt there and he's coming down eighteen this maybe laugh out, loud and the commentary goes great reception for the, beef like very, enthusiastic and Also Paul, casey as if they just had to throw great reception for the. Beef and Also Paul. CASEY i was like forgetting, That, like while no one is cheering For Paul, casey absolutely, no everybody's shot beef beef. Beef no one's shotting while BEEF i think is won over And casey is three hunder on the day and they're, like everybody's a great reception for the. Beef, oh and Also Paul. Casey it just made me laugh out, loud just being you, know throwing him in there on the, end upending him though when clearly know and then he puts Out, casey that's just no one says. Anything they just keep shouting. Beef it's most tepid. Response that made me.
Speaker 3: Laugh so surprising With Paul casey being from. There BUT i think my favorite, commentary, well what was that you think people?
Speaker 2: Are, yes that's WHAT i, Think, Yeah, HOMER.
Speaker 3: I think my favorite. Commentary you already hit on. This there were a lot of, options but them continuing to refer To jordan's speed As Harry potter throughout throughout the back and. Nine it's a match made in heaven for These british, commentators the golden, Boy like there's the magic of. It they loved calling Him Harry potter.
Speaker 2: Repeatedly, yep, yep that was. Funny It's Harry. Potter he's it's like pulling the something out of the. Fire he's got to pull it, out the sword out of the fire to beat this, man Coop. CHER i, mean it's kind of insane THAT i. Know we've talked about. This he went out in thirty. Seven there were sixty fives all over the. Place he had a sixty. Three that's just like no one kind of made. It and it was still felt like just a two horse.
Speaker 3: Race.
Speaker 2: Anyways he had a.
Speaker 3: Lead, YEAH i, mean he had a pretty significant, LEAD i, know.
Speaker 2: But there were six there were low, sixties mid, sixties and just no one pushed him from, ahead from in. Front it's interesting after scuffling, around but then he turned Into Harry. Potter what are other looking?
Speaker 3: Now, so, yeah he had a three shot lead Over couchure and a six shot lead over, Third so, somebody, yeah just for, context but, yeah, yeah, yeah he.
Speaker 2: Shot sixty nine right after gone. Nuts i'm just saying before he got to that, point no one had trussed. Him it was just him And.
Speaker 3: Couture, Well brooks had a bad, day and that's part of, it Because brooks was one of the best position To, actually.
Speaker 2: Speaking of bad, days worst, dressed this was the height of the blade. COLLAR i don't know That brooks was the, worst but oh my. God Every nike boy was in blade. Collars you had fleet AND i don't know if they were all good For, nike if they were factoring On, sunday but it was just every time he looked, up there's a blade, Collar brooks looks LIKE i thought it Was Thorbjorn olson when it came on the. Screen remember when Thorn bjorn was in His nike. Era he just looks. Younger he's obviously not as thick in the shoulders.
Speaker 3: And just.
Speaker 2: Thinner he just won his first. Major you've Got brooks in a blade, Collar roar in a blade, Collar Alex nora in a blade, Collar Tommy fleetwood in a baggyar blade. Collar there's just blade. COLLARS i forgot about the blade. Collar one Thing i'll note about all these flashbacks we do is how fast the fashion falls out of. FAVOR i, mean if you go And i'm not you go to two thousand and Six, oakmont you think you're on a different planet or not two thousand, anytime, right two thousand Seven, oakmont you go to even twenty twenty, One like it's just, quickly how fast the fashion falls out of. Favor and this major doesn't feel that long, ago but the looks of it do feel like a totally different and that's pretty. Consistent oh you.
Speaker 3: Mentioned somebody worst. DRESSED i thought we were going to be on the same the same. Page. Here what Is rory? Wearing are you kidding?
Speaker 2: ME i remember this pretty.
Speaker 3: Clearly The steeler black, hat yellow, shirt black and then these, yeah these black shoes with yellow on the. Bottom it looks like A Pittsburgh steelers like five year old got to Dress rory however they wanted.
Speaker 2: TODAY i remember this. WELL i remembered it. WELL i was, like because you wouldn't see him in yellow? Really, ever the, shoes this is a horrible. Look black and.
Speaker 3: Yellow, yeah is there some connection there That i'm.
Speaker 2: Missing THAT'S i remember it. HAPPENED i was, like, oh that's, Different but, YEAH i remember.
Speaker 3: That that looks.
Speaker 2: Awful what about the fourteen kits he had when he won his two majors with the sleeves that are the color of the collar and then the two sleeves are stitched like red and purple and. Blue that some bad. Outfits that's a night, ISSUE i, Think, yeah, yeah all, right what other awards do we? Have worts, player.
Speaker 3: You didn't expect to see on the. Telecast i'm happy to, Go Jason, DUFFNER i was.
Speaker 2: Mine oh you have the same line. Too, yep. Yep they called The duffmeister on the, Broadcast Jason. Duffer he must have had like a putting out on eighteen camera because they just they do this pretty. Frequently just well the Here's sergio coming to Eighteen duffer putting out an. Eighteenister pretty, good he was. Random didn't expect to see.
Speaker 3: HIM i think that sort of covers. Awards but you had sent me, This you had sent me this picture to pull up on the screen at some.
Speaker 2: Points, Oh rory coming in eighteen worst? DRESSED i mean that divot he had on top of his shoulder like he's. Hacking this is at eighteen when they allegedly think he can still win if he just hits it out from the hay into you, know two feet For birdie to get the. Six, yeah he had this JUST i was a comical. Moment, giant giant chunk of divid just lands all over his. Shoulder so that was. Funny any other SCREENSHOTS i sent you that the selfie one was it was, funny but a lot of random sightings BETWEEN, rcb so MUCH rcb coverage in This Cabrera BeO. Did he was.
Speaker 3: GOOD rtv was kind of was around this.
Speaker 2: TIME i mean he was on The Ryder cup team in, sixteen SO i mean he was a he was a top player player at this. Point SO i think that does it anything. ELSE i mean our, awards.
Speaker 3: It's twenty like, thirteen the drop on. Thirteen we spent some a pretty good amount of time on, it BUT i think we should like that's the moment of the. Tournament you're, right first twelve holes very, sleepy and then thirteen to seventeen is one of the craziest five hole stretches you'll ever.
Speaker 2: SEE i, mean that's what it felt.
Speaker 3: Like it's just.
Speaker 2: The opposite Of stenson And speed Or stenson And. Michelson this two. Guy no one's, challenging but it's a pillow fight instead of them both trying to shoot sixty.
Speaker 3: Four that's a little disrespectful To. Cuture he's not playing, badly.
Speaker 2: But he's not doing anything consequential until like he finishes really, strong but not well.
Speaker 3: Enough, yeah he kind OF i don't. Know he was, okay he wasn't.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, YEAH i think he. Was he. Was he was, good not, Great but.
Speaker 3: He does get a couple of really rough. BREAKS i will, say coutures where his t shot ends up like on six is. Awful but, whatever we don't we've done enough play by.
Speaker 2: PLAY i mean there there was there was a, yeah an incredible run of of wayward shots that landed one way or, another and most of it landed quite well For, speed and then he took advantage of the position he was in at the. END i did Like, Couchers navy. Sketchers they kind of look like on running the On Running navy on. Runnings right, now you know that that?
Speaker 3: Brand all?
Speaker 2: Right that does? IT i did find Old ew And murray article and we all like what we wrote about speech at this moment WAS i think he became the youngest Since jack to get this three of the first four, slam, right and so like you're throwing out some big, names, right and he spent sixty seventy percent of the broadcast looking like the guy who might never win a major. Again and then he wins, it and you're, like there's all this, like youngest Since SEVE i think to win it when he went sevy one AND i believe in seventy, nine The Claire. Chugg so there's all these, things and there's The sevy, comparisons, like, ah this guy just slapped it everywhere and shot sixty nine and and so it's it's there were a lot of lofty comparisons because he was one to this, one you, know one more to The, slam and you know we're nine years on here and it's just coming by A pga. Tour win is the big, thing not even contending at a. Major it's the big. Thing and you had, said whatever Else Jordan's SPE's career yields and expect it to be, plenty there will never be anything as remarkable as this twenty three year old will go to THE uspga in under month's, time needing only that title will complete the. Slam if that seems partly logical given speece talent and ferocious mental, strength hard facts do a huge disservice to a truly astonishing afternoon At. Birkdale the end of it, all he became the youngest recipient of The Claric jugson seventy. Nine is fitting that a man who prevailed Then sevy had a propuncy to play the central character in a. Drama if a scriptwriter delivered a script for this the conclusion of one hundred and forty Six Open, championship the odds are it would have been rejected on the grounds of being. Fanciful this was pretty perfect for that. Year The european writer in common terry BECAUSE i don't think anyone played, great but it was an exceptional show for the last hour and a.
Speaker 3: Half not to go, on not to go, On. TANGENT i just the expression you couldn't write this script is just way too it's just way. Overuse that's that's a script you could. Write BUT i Think i've think part of what you're hinting at is like if you watched this round From, speed you could kind of tell that maybe this wasn't going to last. Forever LIKE i think it's easy to go back and say, That but at the, time Like, speed whether it was taped together at times or, OFTEN i don't think there were many people who were saying that this this run was about about to. End so, no, YES i think it's a cautionary tale about calling people the Next Tiger, woods and even With scottie at, times you know we've done, That BUT i don't think that IT'S i don't think the people that were starting to say that kind of stuff were way over their. SKIS i, mean there was a lot of evidence at least for why speak was going to be really.
Speaker 2: GOOD i, mean if you watch the way he handled the, drop and then the next, hour you're, like holy, shit this guy has the Mental maybe he doesn't have the, game it looks like, sometimes but he has the something that wins every that. WINS i know what you're getting at is like this kind of looks like a guy who is never going to win a major.
Speaker 3: Again AND i just think it's easier for us to say that now than it.
Speaker 2: Totally, Yeah, well it's sort of, yeah, okay you don't think the first thirteen.
Speaker 3: HOLES i think we're fla like quail, hollow and then it's golf is really. Hard, yeah very very hard to. Predict but it is amusing now to look back and see how taped together this round was from speed and then see what's become of. It, yeah, Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah one last, thing as someone who went to the golf course a week, ago do you have any golf course thoughts after a while you've watched you rewatched this, twice this this four and a half hour. Broadcast, ay it's an entirely new. Course they worked On, Mackenzie Tom, Mackenzie mackenzie And ebert worked on all eighteen. Holes, well we'll have playing at course coverage. Coming but anything you know relative to this rewatch versus what you saw week jump out to you a week.
Speaker 3: Ago, yeah and all the holes are changed in some, ways big and. SMALL i think the course will play virtually. Identically so if people are saying all the holes have, changed is a totally different golf, Course it's not totally different golf. COURSE i think it'll play the exact same. Way probably the elephant in the.
Speaker 2: Room do you say? That why do you say that BECAUSE.
Speaker 3: I don't think any of the changes that they made are significantly altering THE dna of the golf. Course like there's some bunkers, removed.
Speaker 2: They changed the. Part there's new holes and changed part like it's yeah two part fives in the last three or last four, holes, right, yeah it's not like three here in the new part. Three, okay, yeah, Yeah but you're saying overall it's not going to PLAY.
Speaker 3: I don't think. It's, yeah it's not, like, oh in twenty seventeen it was a bomber's fest and now it's for you, know short straight. Hitters it's not like the type of play that it's going to favor should. CHANGE i really don't think it's going to change much at. All the fifteen's like a beast of a part three now two hundred and forty. Yards, sure now there's like a real long, Iron but other than, THAT i mean the course is going to play really. SIMILARLY i think the sort of the elephant in the room maybe is that we just talked about speF like slapping it, around hitting it way offline and getting away with. It And brokedale has a reputation for being like short and straight, Hitters so squaring, that how do you square? THAT i think the biggest thing for me after playing it and then Watching speed get away with. Stuff a he did get away with some stuff that you wouldn't always get away. With he got lucky with some with where some of the shots ended. Up but but BE i think what you really can't do With brickdale is be long and. Wild you can't just go out there and bomb it and spray. It And speed wasn't.
Speaker 2: That, No, No.
Speaker 3: He's hitting like some woods off of some, teas a little, crooked and he was getting a little.
Speaker 2: Lucky but he didn't hit a lot of. Drive there wasn't a ton of drivers on the front, nine for, sure.
Speaker 3: There's not so so golf course take Like bryson can't go out there in the wind and just hit driver around Every he will get into some real trouble if he does. That SO i think the type of golfer the rewards is somebody who probably, yes is very accurate off the. Tee it's not somebody who gains their advantage from bombing it. Around a bomber who's not necessarily that. Straight that's not going to help you a ton At. Birkdale you just have to be a scorer whose strength. Comes you just got to keep it in play off the tee and then be a scorer from. There AND i think in a lot of ways that's Who speed was at the, time and that's also Who Matt coucher was at the. Time does that make Sense, yep, Absolutely Like fleetwood is an amazing, prototype AND i think it's kind of interesting that he comes out of that, area like From, southport short and, straight great ball. Striker the greens do not break like the greens do not. Break they're very easy to.
Speaker 2: PUT i feel like on the broadcast they tried to talk about like. Swainers you, know all this is A. Swain it's a big, swing but, yes you didn't see it that.
Speaker 3: MUCH a Little they've got a little movement in, them but they but they largely don't.
Speaker 2: Break, YEAH i.
Speaker 3: Was, curious what is what are your you know you're going there next, week what what's your excitement level for the? Tournament what you? Know kind of were you.
Speaker 2: Mentally medium media.
Speaker 3: About any player related stuff that's interesting OR.
Speaker 2: I will talk about it on the, Preview BUT i don't have a golf course. Stake i'm still Like i've got this Booklet i'm going through all the. CHANGES i, MEAN i wouldn't say it's LIKE i think it's got a great rolodex of, champions but every open venue does almost at this point because they've had it's been a, limited sub limited, field limited set of, venues and they've had them for one hundred and fifty. YEARS a lot of times you're gonna have good. WINNERS i. DON'T i don't Have i'm not gonna say it's, indistinguishable but like the one THING i, like it has this reputation for being like kind of this like it's good for the. Fans it's a good fans course because everything's up on The the holes are all just in between the, dunes, right and then you can kind of stack on the side of the dunes and. WATCH i don't, KNOW i DON'T i don't. KNOW i don't. KNOW i don't want to go too far into the course here at the end of the pod of the. Watchback but my, age my excitement level is like medium on the golf course side of. Things maybe that changes next week AFTER i walk all eighteen, holes but, YEAH i, mean this was this was one of the where would you rate this like watch this, major, like is it one of the more memorable? Ones is it one of THE i think it's one of the more memorable recent opens because of the imagery of, it right in the fact that it was a pretty, popular famous. Winner was it exciting for you and does that have anything to do with the golf? Course probably.
Speaker 3: Not, YEAH i think it's one of the most memorable ones of recent. History but to your, point not through the first twelve, holes like that was a little bit of a slog of a. WATCH i feel like With, birkedale like the tour players love, it love it very.
Speaker 2: Fair my thing is like it feels like kind of is known as like being more of a like it's ready for the, pros the kind of, thing, right and it's not this big curveball venue that we might get somewhere.
Speaker 3: Else, yeah on the road to WHAT i will, say having played it last week and no one cares about my golf game like, That i'm not bringing it up to talk about HOW i. Played Like i'm a fine, Player i'm pretty good ball striker WHEN i have it, going and it was so, hard LIKE i played it in the prevailing, wind like twenty five mile hour wind and that was really. FUN i played really well and it was the shots are really really, hard AND i think that part of it is, appealing like, that if you hit a bad t, shot it's a real. Problem AND i think that's part of what the, guys the pro or like about. It not comparing myself to a tour, player but that was part of the. Appeal it's like you're hitting shots and. Wind there's a real penalty for hitting something. Offline AND i think, PEOPLE i think a lot of people in like the golf architecture, crowd there's a diversity of, opinions but would probably rate this pretty low on the. Road, yeah BUT i honestly like. IT i think IT'S i think it's a great. TEST i think there's more variety then maybe it comes across ON. TV i don't think it's like a brilliantly designed golf, course BUT i think it's.
Speaker 2: Good all, right all, right, well we're looking forward to. It we'll see if we get a a version that's worth looking back on nine years, ago nine years from now for this, podcast or.
Speaker 3: You need to go to. This you need to go to the spif dune and report back to the. People if you think that straight back online gets you to where he took a? DROP i really think you should go do.
Speaker 2: That has this been like widely discussed or written about or publicized or you, know debated in any corner of the dark web or otherwise.
Speaker 3: A little bit LIKE i texted with a couple people in golf media over the years who are, like, oh, yeah that's a questionable one if that should have come straight, back which is on the rules official not. SPEED i know the speed fans are going to think we're being really disrespectful throughout this, Pod So i'm not trying to we.
Speaker 2: ARE i thought we called, them you, know one of the better performances ever given what was.
Speaker 3: THAT i don't slapping it around all day and questioning that's. True it is, true AND i think it's reasonable to question the Drop brendon report. BACK i really don't think if you go straight back on the line with the, flag you drop where he.
Speaker 4: Did, OKAY i think you're still in the, dunes in The schmutz and the high. Stuff, okay go take a look. Interesting, Interesting all?
Speaker 2: Right well that does it for this special look back at the twenty Seventeen Open. Championship very excited to do it again At. Burkedale get over. There you're going to be covering it for the newsletter. Podcast you'll be On shotgun next week jumping. IN i think you're On sunday night After scott to showup and as. Well so this is great watching back with, You. Joseph appreciate all your insight and time doing. It so we will talk to you guys next week or. Whenever if you're listening to this evergreen, podcast talk to you soon