Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Right now, as we have friendship with us of Arkansas. Later we have a Democrat, but he is a unique indifferent Democrat. How many Democrats really started out is a selectment on the finance committee of their given village in town. His was in the advantage of Greenwich, Connecticut. Joining us now the governor of the state of Connecticut, Ned Lamont, Democrat, and that an honor to have you on with us today. I'm going to suggest you are a wing of the Democratic political experiment, more conservative. How do you drag your brethren towards the Lamont politics in the next two and four years?
Speaker 3: Hey, well, good morning Tom.
Speaker 1: Well. It was a wipeout last night, and I hope it's a wake up call for the Democrats.
Speaker 3: It was not a wipeout in Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Not only did our congressional team go back, but we actually picked up Democrats in the legislature of the House, in the Senate.
Speaker 3: I'd like to think we're sort of meeting potatoes Democrats.
Speaker 1: We balanced the budget, we cut middle class taxes, we're pretty tough on crime.
Speaker 3: And you can't get away from your roots, Ned Lamont.
Speaker 2: I saw last night over at cing Inn David Axelrod, who some people would say invented Barack Obama. Mister Axelrod was scathing about East Coast Democratic elites lecturing working class America and saying to them, lecturing them and almost saying to them, someday you can be like us. You fought that your entire life coming from the advantages you had. How do we get to where Axelrod wants the Democrats to be, which is they don't lecture the working class of America. They voted for Trump yesterday.
Speaker 1: I think that final a couple of days, Kommish been in a diner having a cup of coffee and apple pie with a couple of the guys instead of Oprah and Beyonce. But you know that said, Look, I'm an Ivy League guy. I'm for granted, so I'm hardly the person to say we are going to be the party of the working families.
Speaker 3: But you've got to reach out to BP got to talk to people every day.
Speaker 1: I go to the factory line and make sure people have a sense that we're there for them. You know, Washington under Biden, they worked very many business people at all in that administration.
Speaker 3: Can I have been led by a business guy. Ned.
Speaker 4: How do you think Democrats should work with the Trump administration over the next four years.
Speaker 1: Well, the next two years is going to have the House, the Senate, of the White House, and the Supreme Court.
Speaker 3: My job, Paull is to I'm a governor. I've got to work with the president.
Speaker 1: I can't sit around on the sidelines just getting angry.
Speaker 3: We work with the White House every day.
Speaker 1: Everything from the infrastructure bills, if that gets continued, Healthcare is going to be probably a risk right now. You look at what happens to Obamacare at the exchanges. These are all places I've got to work very closely with the White House.
Speaker 4: Governor, what are you telling your fellow Democrats this morning as they wake up and they think about the future.
Speaker 1: But away to Cyanaill the president won, he won big. He won't be complaining about the outcome and complaining about electoral fraud.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure about that.
Speaker 1: And we got to do We got to stand up for our values every day, remind people why we were voted back in, you know, in bigger numbers, and make sure we also realize that we have to work with the White House.
Speaker 2: That's what the deal is Net Lamont, you have been a businessman. I mean I love this Governor Lamont volunteering at the Warren Harding High School in Bridgeport. For those of you across the nation, Bridgeport is not Greenwich. To cut to the chase, Ned Lamont, how do you get the Democrats to understand that it's not just about billionaire taxes, it's not about unrealized capital gains. It's about endorsing entrepreneurship. Is mister Trump, in his own unique way has endorsed.
Speaker 1: I thought that Kamla was getting there when you talked about the opportunity society, less about handouts, more about ladders and allowing people to start their own.
Speaker 3: Business and maybe own their own home. That's what he tried to do it.
Speaker 1: Finetically, we've had more new business startups than ever before. We used to offer big incentives to see if we're going to attract big companies here. Now we're allowing a lot of small companies to get some of the capital they need to start up and it's working.
Speaker 4: So Ned, the future of the Democratic Party here. How quickly do you think that this party will pivot? And how much does it need to pivot? Do you think?
Speaker 1: Look I think it was a wake up call. Like I said, I hope there is some interest faction going on. And you know, we we ignored the border for too long.
Speaker 3: They say, what's the difference between you and Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: I would to shut down that border to you legal immigration on day one.
Speaker 3: I mean, that was an answer that I think was needed. Governor.
Speaker 2: One final question this morning. I know it's an incredibly busy day for you. There's going to be a national governor's meeting here coming up after this seismic shift to the right that we see in America. Give us the tone, the bipartisan tone of the governors of America is they address this new Washington.
Speaker 1: One when the White House calls you're there, we have the you know, holiday dinner, and we get together.
Speaker 3: I think it will be Joe Biden's finale, if I'm not mistaken. I got to check the dates.
Speaker 1: Sure, And Governors, you know, we fewed maybe publicly, privately. You're in the kitchen and you roll up your slaves and say, right hand on that Medicaid reimbursement issue, let me tell you what we're doing.
Speaker 3: So I'd like to think there's a.
Speaker 1: Little more of that collaboration going on at the governor level.
Speaker 3: I don't see it watching it.
Speaker 2: Governor, what are you gonna do about Amtrak between New York and Boston? How can we you know? What what can you do to help us with Amtrak between New York and Boston.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid we're the choke point on that time because it was built a long time ago.
Speaker 3: It winds around.
Speaker 1: But that said, when the infrastructure built a little credit there to Joe Biden, that's going to.
Speaker 3: Make an enormous difference. We're straightened at the tracks.
Speaker 1: We'll never be like Beijing to Shanghai, but we'll be able to get another forty miles an hour of both speed out of this.
Speaker 3: That helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nick Burns is over, his ambassador to China. Folks are showing the trains, the perfect trains of China. What Paul and I are on the accelerage? Why have we stopped outside?
Speaker 1: You?
Speaker 2: Even Ned Lamont, the Democrat of Connecticut, Thank you so much