Speaker 1: All right, So on the count of three, we're gonna do table reads Suburbanite Ready one, two, three.
Speaker 2: Tailory, suburba that's pretty good Suburbanite written by Nick Banister. Exterior Walter's Antiques and Curio Day. A modest old antique store signs in the window display sale forty percent off. Everything must go. Interior Walter's Antiques and Curio Day. Walter Fortyes, wrinkled clothes, tired eyes, three days, double stands amidst a sea of junk, dated furniture, bookcases, cabinets full of cameras, rotary phones and old radios, stacks of dusty books, cases of worn vinyl, racks of old clothes, and, strangely, an occasional broad sort or two. It's where forgotten things go to die. Walter walks around the shop with a price gun, mindlessly stamps sales stickers on every item in the place. Propped in the corner is a complete suit of armor with an exaggerated cudpiecet covered in spikes. Walter swipes a sales sticker right on the tip. The bell dings and the door swings open.
Speaker 3: A customer enters, Taia Walker to Walt's Antiques if we don't have it, it didn't exist.
Speaker 2: The man ignores the cheerful breeding.
Speaker 4: Yeah you got phone charges.
Speaker 2: Walter smiles insincerely. Interior Walter's Antique Securio Day. At the big old cash register, Walter rings up the man's meager purchase.
Speaker 3: That'll be twenty seven fifty Christ for that. It's an antique. It has history.
Speaker 4: Oh is that why I cost so much?
Speaker 5: That is why it's worth so much.
Speaker 4: Fuck it's junk. How do you fight out?
Speaker 2: Walter forces a resigned smiles. Service workers know well. Sure. Walter takes the man's money and he exits. The bell dings. Walter opens the cash drawer and puts in the five taped to the cast register as a photo of Walter and his dad in front of the store. Behind them, a banner reads Walt in Son's Antiques Grand Opening. Walter's slams the cast registers shut. Interior Walter's House Bedroom Night. A So Bad It's Good horror film from the nineteen eighties plays in an old TV propped in the dresser. The title card Succubus Summer three. The beginning on the TV A succubus and a flowy white nightgown undresses in front of another man. He resists her until we see her eyes glow and shimmer. Then all free will fades away and he has pulled to her uncontrollably. Walter lies on top of the covers in his pajamas, covered in a stack of papers and bills. Walter's wife, Samantha forties kind forgiving patient, reads a romance novel with a steamy image of a shirtless, muscular, long haired man who rescues a busty female pirate on a sailboat on the cover. She stops reading and looks at Walter, but he doesn't even feel her gaze. She sighs and slams her book close on the TV. The trashy movie is faded, replaced by the interior of a local TV studio. A tacki trailer park set is the centerpiece, where a middle aged redneck and a cowboy shirt and a bulow tie sits in a cheap lawn chair in front of a small portable TV. Bobby Joe Williams fifties tracks open a cold one. It takes a long drink.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to terror Vision. I'm still your host. Bobby Joe Williams my ready for tonight's viewing A sucker Bus Summer three. At the beginning, hey had eleven dead body, seven gallons.
Speaker 4: Of blood, wisp letter, one axe to.
Speaker 6: The head, one dead cat, two nicked titties.
Speaker 5: I gave it a four.
Speaker 6: Out of a possible five buckets of blood, an instant American classic.
Speaker 2: Walter looks up from a handful of bills.
Speaker 5: Look at this guy.
Speaker 3: He knows exactly who he is, but he's not beared up to his eyeballs and debt anxious for the sweet relief of death.
Speaker 2: Samantha sighs loudly again.
Speaker 7: So it went well today?
Speaker 3: Oh get out way you still can sam No, I'm serious. Take me in two, go somewhere nice, start a new life without this.
Speaker 2: He points to himself.
Speaker 7: I can't I love Walter. I refuse to abandon him.
Speaker 2: She nuzzles his shoulder tenderly. Walter wraps his arm around her.
Speaker 7: How can I help?
Speaker 5: Do you have a gun?
Speaker 7: Walter? I don't want to talk about money or the store anymore tonight.
Speaker 2: She grabs the remote and turns off the TV. Bobby Joe's smirking face vanishes with up lip. She leans over and kisses his neck. Maybe a fire. She turns his face toward hers, kisses him. Walter goes back to the documents.
Speaker 5: What's wrong, I'm sorry. I want to I just I have so much on my mind.
Speaker 7: Well let me take your mind.
Speaker 4: Enough of it.
Speaker 2: She kisses him again, deeper this time. He kisses her back. She touches his chest, but he stops, sighs.
Speaker 5: Sam.
Speaker 2: She sighs, resigns herself.
Speaker 1: It's fine, it happens to guy's your age.
Speaker 2: Walter gobsmacked.
Speaker 7: I still love you, though, though, What.
Speaker 5: Do you mean though?
Speaker 2: The phone rings hold on? He answers it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm barely older than you. You know what, shit, I'll be right there.
Speaker 2: Sam looks up from the bed, worried. What is it?
Speaker 5: Something's wrong with the store.
Speaker 4: I gotta go now.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: He kisses her on the cheek. Walter throws on pants in his shirt. He heads out the door.
Speaker 3: My Age.
Speaker 2: Exterior Walter's Antiques and Curio Night. Walter pulls up to the store.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I can'd I go back to that my age? I hated that.
Speaker 2: I don't like my age either.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you're right.
Speaker 2: He kisses her on the cheek. Walter throws on pants and a shirt. He heads out the door.
Speaker 4: My age, genius, that was the difference you got you.
Speaker 2: Do it again. Nextterior Walter's Antiques and Curio Night, Walter pulls up to the storefront and gets out of his car. Walter sees a locksmith and a banker wrapping a thick chain around the store's front door handles. The locksmith closes a comically large lock in the chain.
Speaker 5: Hey, what are you doing.
Speaker 4: We're taking possession of our property, mister cano.
Speaker 2: Walter glares at him.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm a little behind. Everyone's a little behind. It's a recession.
Speaker 4: Your rent is four months late.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's pretty behind.
Speaker 2: The banker in locksmith walk away.
Speaker 5: Get wait wait wait, wait, wait wait wait.
Speaker 2: Walter yanks out his check book, faded, old and hard used.
Speaker 5: How much stoy are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah? She fees penalties and such dodges.
Speaker 2: The banker shows Walter the number. We only see Walter's reaction.
Speaker 5: Oh you who, very sorry for saying.
Speaker 4: That, As I said, will be taken.
Speaker 2: What's sows? They walk away again.
Speaker 5: How much do weave? But unlock till morning?
Speaker 2: Exterior Walter's House Night, Samantha's car pulls into the driveway. She sees a moving van parked along the sidewalk. Moving men are unloading boxes, lots of boxes, and bringing them inside. Interior Walter's house, living room night. Samantha enters Walter. She gets her first look at the inside and drops her keys. Walter, the house is a fucking disaster. The entire contents of the shop are now inside the Canok family home. Stacks of junk, rows of shit, piles.
Speaker 4: Of what the fock.
Speaker 2: Walter peaks his head around the corner in the kitchen. He struggles to hold the landline received to his ears. The cable is stretched to its limit.
Speaker 3: Hay aye, you're home early, Walter. One second, yes, missus Brewster, I'd be happy to ship it to you free shipping. No, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: It's Walter retreats further into the kitchen. Sam hangs back and inspects what used to be her house. She acts and mindedly looks through some junk and disbelief. Interior of the kitchen day. The kitchen is in much the same condition as the rest of the downstairs, overrun with all manner of junk. Mia eighteen a goth rebel type, dark haired and dressed to the toe in shades of black and gray, pulls the phone cord like a rope towards her, while her father struggles to talk into it as it runs away from his face.
Speaker 4: Dad, I need the phone.
Speaker 2: He covers the receiver.
Speaker 5: I need to make this sale.
Speaker 3: Mia.
Speaker 2: He goes back to the phone.
Speaker 3: Sorry, missus Brewster, I missus Brewster, could you hold on one second?
Speaker 2: Sam follows Walter into the kitchen. She finds a medieval mace on her kitchen counter and holds it up quizzically.
Speaker 5: How did that get there?
Speaker 3: That should be an ancient curier, not mid century kitchen appliances.
Speaker 2: He laughs to himself. No one else is amused. Mia tugs on the phone cord. Walter tug's back.
Speaker 3: Oh Dad, missus Brewster, can I can I call you back?
Speaker 5: And just one Hello? It's dead.
Speaker 2: Mia tugs the phone free of his grasp. She holds it to her ear as she leaves.
Speaker 5: Two hours.
Speaker 3: I was the phone with her for a fifty dollars sale, Walter, what happened to our house?
Speaker 2: Walter? Size you noticed?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 4: Notice Walter?
Speaker 3: The bank foreclosed on the shop. If I didn't take some of the inventory, they Sam gets it.
Speaker 7: Your dad's shop.
Speaker 2: Walter struggles for words.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, Jack, I was late turning my page.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't let it happen. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Apologies.
Speaker 2: Walter struggles for words.
Speaker 3: I just couldn't let them board it off like some common thrifts Walter.
Speaker 2: Sam moves closer to Walter.
Speaker 7: It's just a bunch of junk, Babe.
Speaker 1: Your dad wouldn't want you to be burdened with his Okay, you don't have to carry.
Speaker 7: It for him.
Speaker 5: No, no, it's not I'm not carrying it for him. This was him. I can't.
Speaker 1: She sighs, all right, until you can get the shop again. Until then, just make me a promise, anything, Promise me you'll keep this fucking thing out of my kitchen.
Speaker 2: Sam thrusts the mason Walter's arms. He doesn't expect the weight, and it drops to the floor, him along with it. Poor interior Walter's house bedroom night, Walter sits up right awake besides a sleeping Sam. He looks up from his stack of invoices and checks the clock on the bedside table, two thirty. He sighs. He looks over it. Sam. He brushes a strand of hair off her sleeping face and notices the romance novel The One with a Hunky Sailor. Walter picks it up and examines it.
Speaker 5: Hmm.
Speaker 2: He moves to get out of bed. Interior Walter's House, bathroom, night, Walter flips the light on. He leans into the mirror and takes a hard look at the person looking back at him. He runs his hands over his face, stretches the skin, looks at the bags under his eyes, his receding hairline damage control. He takes his shirt off. He looks at his chest, sucks in his gut, tries to show off his dad bod. But it ain't what it used to be. He pulls his pants open and looks at his dick.
Speaker 3: This is all make believe people, just an actor playing a role. That's all that's happening here.
Speaker 2: We call on what we know, I guess. He lets his gut loose and shakes his head in disgust. Walter sighs and flips the light off. Interior Walter's House, living room, Night. Walter navigates all the junk and finds a cardboard box labeled let's get Medieval on their asses. He rolls his eyes, me uh. He drops the heavy mat into the cardboard box. He turns and takes it all in. He takes a deep breath, exhales fuck. Interior, Walter's House, Living Room, Night. Walter collapses into his desk's chair. He taps on the desk for a second before he grabs the TV remote and flips on an even older model TV than the one upstairs.
Speaker 4: Do you suffer from a rectile dysfunction? Decreased libido, sudden mood swings? Try Viagara?
Speaker 2: Walter shuts off the TV. Interior Walter's House, living Room, Night. Walter is asleep at his desk, drooling on a stack of bills, just checking. Lightning flashes outside the window, then thunder. A woman screams, Oh, that did something in my body. Walter wakes with a start. He gets his bearings confused. He goes to the window and looks out, searching for the screen. It rains hard. The rest of the neighborhood is quiet, except for the house across the street. Two women in raincoats load furniture from inside the house into an unmarked truck. Walter leans forward gets a closer look what the After the furniture is loaded, the figures carry out what looks like two body bags. Lightning strikes again reveals a third figure who wears a dark coat and sticks to the shadows. The figure yanks out the for sale sign in the yard and tosses it into the bag of a truck. The figure senses he's being watched and looks right at Walter. Shit. Walter quickly shuts the curtains. He chuckles to himself at how silly he's being. He steals one last glance back at the dark house, still unsure of what he saw. Exterior Walter's house. Day, Walter exits the house carrying a handmade yard sign. It reads Walter's Antiques and Curio Open. The paper boy rides by and knocks over the sign with a well thrown newspaper. Hey Walter looks over and sees his neighbor Andy early thirties, a large manchild that wears an old bands shirt stretched over his beer belly, waves and walks over.
Speaker 4: Morning Walt.
Speaker 5: Morning Andy.
Speaker 2: Walter watches as a construction crew works on the stripped down house across the street.
Speaker 5: New neighbors. I guess the Maitland's finally caved.
Speaker 2: Walter thinks, you know, it's weird, though they moved out in a big hurry last night in the rain.
Speaker 5: I never even saw the Maitland's leave.
Speaker 4: You know what else is weird?
Speaker 7: I've been bourping up with tastes like spinach all day.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've had spinach, and like, I don't know what. Just then, a trio of pastel colored joggers Nancy forties, Diane forties, and Karen thirties jogged by the men. They're all very attractive, clad head to toe an active were looking to get noticed.
Speaker 4: Hi, Diane creep.
Speaker 2: They jog on what An expensive car roars down the street, pulls into the driveway of the stripped down house across the way. Everyone turns to the expensive sounding engine. Time slows down. The car door opens, and outsteps Richard Surrandon forties, very handsome in dress pants and a white dress shirt with several top buttons undone to reveal his chiseled chest. All very fashionable and expensive. He throws on his blazer like a runway model. Still in slow motion, Andy and Walter's mouths hangopen. The jogger's all slow in turn, jogging backwards to get a better view. Diane trips and hits the ground bolts back up awkwardly.
Speaker 7: Who is that?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 4: Om man?
Speaker 2: Richard sees the group watching him and waves. He excuses himself and crosses the street.
Speaker 5: Oh god, he's coming over. Okay, just keep smiling.
Speaker 8: I thought i'd introduce myself. Richard, Richard Sarandon Walter.
Speaker 5: This one's Andy.
Speaker 2: Richard extends his hand for a handshake, but before Walter can shake it, Diane dervines and puts her fingertips in Richard's hand.
Speaker 7: Chante, oh.
Speaker 4: Don't, oh my.
Speaker 2: Richard kisses her hand. Diane giggles. Whoa, that was awesome?
Speaker 4: What did he say? I have no idea?
Speaker 2: Walter clears his throat.
Speaker 3: So why, I guess we have you to thank for getting rid of that old eyesore? How did you manage you get the maitlands to sell?
Speaker 4: I wanted it, so I bought it.
Speaker 2: Richard glares at Diane, and I always get what I want. The other women fan themselves.
Speaker 4: Which reminds me.
Speaker 8: Next weekend, everyone in the neighborhood is invited for a little get together at the house, food, drinks, entertainment next weekend with the house, I'll be.
Speaker 4: There, delightful.
Speaker 2: One of the construction workers yells over to Richard. He turns and shouts.
Speaker 4: Back, must be off, wonderful meeting.
Speaker 2: Richard heads back across the street. Oh yummy, Diane's fitbit deep since she heads back off.
Speaker 5: I mean he was all right, I guess.
Speaker 2: Walter watches Richard as he slings his coat over his shoulder and heads inside the house. Interior Walter's House, living room day. Walter organizes some items in the store. The doorbell rings. Mia bounced down the stairs.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 2: She opens the door. Her friend Kai eighteen non binary is on the other side.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: Mia tries to quickly slip out, but Walter stops.
Speaker 5: Hey, Hey, hey, where are you off to in such a hurry?
Speaker 7: Ugh, just don't want to hang at Kies.
Speaker 3: Well, aren't you gonna induce Well, well, aren't you going to introduce us all the Kai?
Speaker 4: Uh No.
Speaker 2: She tries again to leave, but again Walter stops her.
Speaker 4: Mia stop, turn explain what hi mister Kay?
Speaker 5: You must be Kai. I have heard so much about you.
Speaker 4: Happy, all right, let's go.
Speaker 2: Mia pushes Kai out the door and hurry, Hey, was all.
Speaker 7: That stuff in there?
Speaker 4: Just a bunch of junk my dad's collecting.
Speaker 2: Mia slams the door behind her. Sam comes down the stairs.
Speaker 5: Who was that our daughter?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure she's embarrassed on me, embarrassed of all this.
Speaker 2: Sam moves closer to him, embraces Walter.
Speaker 7: She's a teenager, she'll get over it.
Speaker 5: No, I just don't get it. I used to be cool. I was in a freaking band.
Speaker 7: Remember you were in a kid rock cover band.
Speaker 5: He was cool for a while. I mean, what happened?
Speaker 7: You grew up?
Speaker 5: Well? I hate it. Well, at least my taste got better.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry. I can't go back because this is I'm hitting at her now? Right or no? When I say taste got better? Am I referring to her right to oh kid rock? That I did it correctly?
Speaker 2: Sam moves closer to him, embraces Walter.
Speaker 7: She's a teenager, she'll get over it.
Speaker 5: I just don't get it. I used to be cool. I was in a freaking band.
Speaker 4: Remember you were in a kid rock cover band.
Speaker 5: He was cool for a while. I mean, what happened?
Speaker 7: You grew up?
Speaker 5: Well? I hate it.
Speaker 3: At least my taste got better well, Sam kisses him.
Speaker 7: How's business?
Speaker 2: Walter gestures broadly at the empty store.
Speaker 7: Want to close up?
Speaker 5: Early. Does this mean you're not mad at me anymore?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 1: But if I'm gonna be the sugar mama in this relationship, you gotta start putting out fair.
Speaker 2: Walter nods as he kisses her passionately. She undoes his pants and reaches insides.
Speaker 5: Oh again, this is a character in her reading.
Speaker 2: She finds nothing. How's that?
Speaker 3: I dare you?
Speaker 2: Walter nods as he kisses her passionately. She undoes his pants and reaches inside. They kiss. Sam's hand feels around in search of something that isn't quite there? What's wrong Walter's size?
Speaker 3: Nothing, I'm just maybe I'm just tired. I haven't been sleeping. I guess I have a lot on my mind.
Speaker 2: Sam steps back.
Speaker 7: Isn't me Walter? Is everything all right here?
Speaker 2: She points to her body.
Speaker 4: This, Oh god, yes, I just then, what Walter?
Speaker 1: Ever since you took over the store? I mean, we haven't you know.
Speaker 5: I just don't want to let you down this whole thing. I'm just scared. I'm not the man you thought you married.
Speaker 7: Well, you're a bigger idiot than I.
Speaker 4: But he laughs.
Speaker 2: She kisses him.
Speaker 7: I love you, Okay, I know.
Speaker 1: Now sell some of this junk so I can have my house back, please.
Speaker 2: She heads upstairs. Interior Walter's house living room night. Walter sits on the couch, bleary eyed. He hasn't slept. He flips through yet another stack of bills while he talks on the phone.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, just let that one bounce and I'll see if I can sell my car or a kidney or something.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 2: He hangs up, and we see the foreclosure bill. He looks over. He sighs and rubs his eyes. Looks up at the TV. Terror vision with Bobby Joe Williams is on again. He's propped up in his favorite lawn chair, a case of cheap beer almost empty beside him.
Speaker 6: I'm Bobby Joe Williams reminding you that there are twenty four hours in a day and twenty four beers in a case.
Speaker 4: Coincidence, I think not.
Speaker 2: The final segment of the film starts to play. Lightning strikes over an old mansion surrounded in fog. Wolves how a scream outside. Walter listens. Jarred, Walter grabs an antique spyglass like a pirate. Walter's pov through spyglass, A light pops on upstairs in Richard's house. The new windows are large and modern. The house glows from within red. Another scream. The screams of terror become screams of pleasure. The screams of terror become screams of pleasure, voracious, loud, raw sex.
Speaker 4: Phayze, buddy, get a room.
Speaker 3: Walter mutters, well, another room.
Speaker 2: More screams. Walter looks through the spyglass again. The red glow inside storts things. Walter watches as a large figure too large to be a man, with horns and what the fuck? Metal music flares, crash zooms on the action. The figure rips off her head. The woman's body slumps to the floor. Blood sprays the windows of the figure devours and kisses the several head before casually tossing it over the shoulder. It laps up the spring blood.
Speaker 5: She says, fuck.
Speaker 2: He looks again. The figure in the window looks right back at Walter. Its eyes glow fiercely red, illuminating more of its demonic face and torso. It smirks. The room goes dark. The phone rings. Walter hesitates, but finally answers it.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 2: Silence for several moments.
Speaker 4: Who's there? It isn't nice to spy Walter.
Speaker 2: Click, The line goes dead. Walter hangs up. He looks back toward Richard's house and sees the front door swinging open. Closer branches sway if disturbed. The wind chime at the front porch clings and clangs. Walter looks petrified. He turns. The demon is inside his house, Walter screams. Interior Walter's House, living room, night. Walter screams as he wakes up on the couch. He looks around quickly confused.
Speaker 6: Fuck.
Speaker 2: Walter collapses back in the couch. Something jabs him in the back. He reaches back and yanks it out. It's the spyglass. Walter can't believe it. Interior Walter's House, Bedroom night. Walter bursts in the door and heads for Sam, asleep in bed.
Speaker 4: Sam, it isn't he okay?
Speaker 2: Sam jumps out of bed, her eyes still closed him. Mom, it's Richard who the new neighbor.
Speaker 5: He's a monster something?
Speaker 4: What Walter?
Speaker 5: When I saw him kill someone?
Speaker 2: Look? Walter drags Sam over to the window. He throws open the blinds to see Richard's house, but the house is quiet, dark.
Speaker 7: What am I looking at?
Speaker 2: Walter's searches. The window to Richard's room is dark.
Speaker 5: Well, no, no, it was right there. There was blood everywhere.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, Walter, you were asleep.
Speaker 2: It was just a dream. It wasn't a dream, Sam Sam laughs.
Speaker 7: Jesus, oh, Jesus, you've got me good. I think I'm out about a heart attack.
Speaker 5: I'm calling the police.
Speaker 2: Walter heads for the landline on the dresser.
Speaker 7: Walter, you know you can't.
Speaker 2: Walter picks up the phone and dials. Mia stumbles to the doorway rubs her eyes.
Speaker 7: Are you guys fighting again?
Speaker 4: No, Walter, stop, I know.
Speaker 5: What I saw.
Speaker 2: The other end of the line picks up.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, I'd like to report a decapitation.
Speaker 2: End of Act one. Nice job on the