Speaker 1: We'll see what happens with Hoveybaya is at shortstop. But if he's not productive with the bat, or if he's not healthy, I worry this could be one of the worst defensive infield in baseball.
Speaker 2: Here we go, Cody Stavenhagen, star of Tiger Territory, joining us right now. Cody, great to see you, and we're going to jump right into business. We've got storylines to hit, and of course, if people want to learn more about the Tigers podcast, YouTube the whole deal, check out Cody's show. So let's hit those storylines please. All right, Cody, here's the plan. Can this team run it back? They had so much magic but also needed help the Twins collapse to even make it to the playoffs. So what does the next step look like for them? What about side Scooble to back years? Can it be done infield shuffling glabor Torres, second Colt Keith to first Spencer turklesin where and then young talent for days Riley Green Jackson job full season of him in the big leagues and what that's going to look like. Let's talk it out right now. So Cody, how did they make this magic happen again when they're not going to sneak up on teams, are they.
Speaker 1: No. I think, you know, the Tigers are definitely taken more seriously than they have been in recent years. I think teams know when the Tigers come to town, they're going to see some pretty nasty arms. But the challenge I think for the Tigers is going to be making sure that they can sustain last year's pigeon performances and score a little bit more runs. And given the way the offseason shook out, they added only one hitter that was Glaber Torres. They were in the Alex Bregman sweets today until the end, it didn't happen. Now you're left really banking on the development of young players and what Riley Green was an All Star last year. He can continue to get better. Cole Keith hit like two to eighty five from mid May one. He can continue to get better. But it's still going to be a very young line up. The Tigers will continue to mix and match. But I really think that's the key, you know, is just how much can they hit well? They have more guys take step forward, take a step forward. Then they do guys take a step backward. You look in center field Parker Meadows with dynamic down the stretch. Can he produce at anywhere near that level now through one hundred and sixty two game season. Shortstops a big question mark. But there are some good things brewing here in Detroit, so we'll see how it all shakes out.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, they're speaking of big things shaking out and brewin in Detroit. Terrek Scoble hey won the Sion. He's a pretty big deal now, you know they you know, Tracy Moore offering for him to come on SNL and all.
Speaker 4: These big deals.
Speaker 3: Can he do it again? Can't Trek school and Jack Clarity re and I become the Wonder twins one right handed one left handed. Jack Flaherty had the year he had and then Scoble win the cy Young again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if there's one thing I feel strongly about, it is that Scooble can definitely repeat. This guy's really become a well rounded pitcher. He pounds the strike zone. He throws with plus velocity. He has one of the best change ups in the game. He has a slider that can miss a ton of bats. He has different ways to get hitters out. I think the combination of stuff in command is at the top of the league, and that if he stays healthy, he's going to be one of the best pitchers in the game year and then year out going forward. Jack Flaherty, Look, this guy's a really good pitcher, has been for a while. He had some down years and battled some kind of nagging injuries, but really got things together last year. I think Flerity can continue to be really good. The question is will he be as as good as he was last year? Before the trade deadline he had a sub three era, missed a ton of bats. We saw the fastball kind of fluctuate a little bit down the stretch. He and the Tigers have both talked about like his mechanics got just a little bit out of whack. Maybe wasn't getting as far down the slope as he wanted to, kind of cutting himself off in his delivery. So he's got some things to sort out to make sure he can be consistent throughout the course of the season. But I think Flerty will continue to be productive, and I think Scooble's a very good bet to repeat as the Young Award winner, if not at least a top candidate.
Speaker 4: How's this infield shuffle gonna really really just be successful for the Tigers. Gt. Labor Torres said with the Yankees, I ain't playing third base. I'm a second basement. So clearly he's a second baseman. Colt Keith signed a nice little extension before ever really being in the big leagues, and now all of a sudden he's a first baseman, and Spencer Torkelsen, who they need to produce his home run power, is on the bench on a new team in Triple A. What's what's happening? And could it be something different? Could it end up being something different than that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think if you want to now know the concern of the team, you just kind of laid it out. We'll see what happens with Hovey Bayas at shortstop. But if he's not productive with the bet or if he's not healthy, I worry this could be one of the worst defensive infield in baseball. Third base could be a revolving door. Labor. He's a nice addition with the stick. I think even in Detroit people aren't giving him quite as much credit for his steady offensive production, but he led all second basement and errors and was you know, I think negative eleven defensive runs saved last year. Somehow the Tigers got worse with their infield defense by adding labor, shifting Colt Keith to first base. If you look at his body type, he's six three sixty four, he's a huge guy. Probably was always going to be best suited for first, but he's never played there before in his life. Spent a lot of time at third before last year. It spent all last year adapting the second got better. Hey, now you're moving again. Just watching him here early in spring training, it's going to be another adjustment. It's going to take some time, and we don't really quite know how good Cole Keith will be at first base. I think the bat's real, but there's some defensive concerns. And for goods, the pitching is as a staff, they didn't strike a ton of dudes out last year. They have a lot of sinker ball guys generate a lot of ground balls, which is good. But the infield defense scares me a little bit. And then Torglesen, it's a huge question mark. If I had to project to the roster right now, I think I would put Spencer Torglesen in Triple A. But just being around the team these past few days, it seems like the Tigers really believe they could carry him on the bench, even though he'd have to be a first base DH type. He's not playing any other positions. But if his bat gets going good enough, he can start against lefties and be available for late game at bats on a day there's a right handed starter. The Tigers would love to carry him. If they can get a guy who's that productive with the bat, they would love it. But I think he's got he has a lot to prove in spring training. There's a chance Spencer torcal Sen isn't on this team at all.
Speaker 3: That's my first that's my question before we get to the last storyline, is how's he going to handle that? Because he was one one, he was super hyped and we're only a year away from him being an impact bad for them, So how is he handling this? And man, it's amazing how you can fall so quickly in baseball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, it's been a tough few years for Tork. There's the guy who came up with a ton of hype, had a really rough rookie season and then got things together. Hit thirty one homers. You look at the rest of his stat line, he had some stuff to figure out, wasn't really hitting for average, didn't get on base a ton, didn't play very good defense. But it was like, okay, if the floor's thirty homers, we can only build from here, right, Well, show up. Last year got off to a really slow start, got sent down, came back up. He was better, but left something to be desired. He's said all the right things, and camp he said, look, he gets it. I have to prove that I consistently perform. I've honestly always been impressed by how Spencer Ttorkalson has handled himself. For me as a reporter, sometimes it's been hard, Like, you know, I like this guy. He's a good guy. You want to have some empathy for a dude who seems to be putting in the work, but baseball's just kind of chewing him up and spitting him out. Tough to know what really goes on in that head. I think there have been times he's probably gotten a little bit too far inside his own head, both at the plate, both maybe worrying about external factors in a way. Maybe, Like now expectations are lowered, so could that be a good thing for him? That might be something to consider.
Speaker 3: Okay, makes sense. Well, he was this guy that was supposed to be a star for the Tigers. Now they have some guys Riley Greeneye consider a star. He's probably the most known guy on the Tigers behind School as a position player. But canon the other guys take the next step? Jackson, Joe Young, Parker Meadows, whoever it needs to be. Can any of these guys fulfill their potential? Because they have a ton of young talent on this Tigers. We have even mentioned the bullpen guys that came in and dominated for the last month. So can these guys take the next step and continue not have like sophomore slumps?
Speaker 1: I guess right. Yeah, that's the blessing and curse of a team this young. It's why I thought they needed another veteran impact bat. There are some major question marks. Like I said, I think col Keith could be a guy who takes that step, at least on the offensive side of the ball. Parker Nutt Meadows is really dynamic, but third base Jase Young has a chance to win a spot as a rookie. What is he going to do? Where do we even set expectations? Hard to say. We haven't mentioned Kerry Carpenter yet, who absolutely crushes right handed pitching. Is he going to face lefties more? How much can you play him in the outfield? These are all questions Tray Sweeney, as see is on the screen right now. Is he even going to lock down that opening day role? When you have a young team like this, I feel like this is what normally happens. A couple of these guys meet expectations and a couple of them don't. That's probably what I would expect from the Tigers. The question is can they win eighty six games?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 1: Is there a ninety win version of this team? I think the floor is a lot higher for this year's Tigers, But you kind of need all these young guys to achieve the best versions of themselves to be a ninety plus win team, and that just doesn't happen very often in baseball.
Speaker 2: All right, on your way out here, Cody, I'm going to have you promote Tiger territory so we can show the promo, but also have you tell us about your friends on the show and maybe pick your favorite episode, like a guest episode, because you've probably had at least several guests here. I'm thinking about a couple in my head, but I'll let you take it over.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, you guys can go check out Tiger Tan Toy. We are doing three times a week now that we are in season, my co host Kieren Steckley and former Tigers outfielder Austin Jackson. He's a great time. You got to check out his stories if you haven't already. It's hilarious and if you're looking for a starter episode with Trek Scooble, right. One of the things that's been awesome about covering Schooble as he's gotten more successful, some guys kind of retreated to themselves. They shy away from the attention. Schooble's almost like opened up with his personality. So he's both a funny and insightful interview. We talked to him for thirty plus minutes a couple of weeks ago, So I hope you guys will go check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's perfect. Also, broadcaster Jason Bennette has been on Parker Meadows, was on just recently, so go check it out. Cody great to see you enjoy Lakeland,