Speaker 1: Ah yeah, Stepping on the beach the only place to read your emails and your tweets. It's Friday, October twenty third. Thanks for checking out the No Dunks podcast here on the Athletic Network. I'm J. E. Skeets and alongside me, as always, we got task Mellis.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, great to hear from you again.
Speaker 1: Hey, we got the international man of mystery taking it to the max. Lee Ellis friendly and last but not least making this magic habin as JD. Hello, there he is and here we are the bearded want Trey Kirby still off camping with the family. I actually texted him last night to ask how many fish he had caught, and sadly I have to report at least last night nothing only bike came off. Lely that was the only one he had. But he says, and I'm quoting him here, there's bass in that way. He believes, he believes, gotta have some face. So good luck to tray Herbie. He will be back for sure next week for a couple of our podcasts. Thanks again everybody for sending in their questions over the last couple of days over the last week. Keep them coming, email them in No Dunks at the Athletic dot Com or you can tweet them in at No Dunks Inc. We have another great batch of questions tasks, but before we do, had some coaching news that we can just quickly slip in here. I'll just lump them together and you can go wherever you want with it. The Pelicans hired Stan Van Gundy and his Twitter account as their next head coach, and the Pacers hired Raptors assistant Nate Jorkrin as next head coach. So from Nate to Nate there in Indiana. But the Pelicans hiring the notorious SVG I think is maybe the bigger news to a lot of at least casual fans, probably knowing that name.
Speaker 2: What do you think, Well, he is a great coach and we are going to miss him. On the tweets, he was a fantastic Twitter follower. He says he's going to continue with the tweets. At the same time he is going to tone it down, and he said he is representing an organization now, so things are going to be a little different on the Twitter. But yeah, it's going to make a difference in our lives. No tweets, no stand on the broadcast No Stand on NBA TV. Listen when you watch him or listen to him on any basketball program. You know, the guy is extremely thorough and everything he does and extremely knowledgeable. He's not going to be outworked, and that's what all of his players have said throughout the year's great reviews. He's also known for establishing a great defense, and that's exactly what he needs to do in New Orleans. That's his primary job. We saw what happened in the bubble. They just kind of fell apart. He told Zach in July, I think their personnel is good enough defensively, as a transcribed there by Dan Devine, And maybe that got him the job. Maybe David Griffin was listening to the Zach Low podcast and said, this is perfect after what happened to Alvin Gentry in the bubble there. His team just it didn't show up. It really didn't with with you know, Zion in and out of the bubble may have been an issue and having to deal with his minutes, but the fact is they weren't working hard. You got guys like Drew Holliday, Lonzo Ball to be able to be able or should be able to really contribute on that end, Brandon Ingram, can stan Van get something out of him? And is Derek Favor is going to come back. I'm interested in that because I want to see Zion Williamson at the five just purely from a fan standpoint, and I think stan Van is inventive enough or was just curious to see that enough, so he'll try that out. But I think that what it comes down to is those names, Zion Williamson on the defensive end, sam Van Gundy with Wake Griffin most recently in Detroit, Dwight Howard back in Orlando. He will get on guys, and I think that's what it's about. It's about accountability, It's about superstars being held to their highest level, and stan Van is going to do that. So there is definitely hope after an up and down five years for Alvin Gentry. I think I think stan Vand is a good choice for sure to try and get them to play hard on that end. I mean, that's what it really comes down to is have a program superstars got to work, and I think I think Sveg can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think the Pelicans were twenty first in the NBA last regular season when it came to defensive efficiency so below Averagely you know you're gonna hope to get that least above average or average. Do you think this higher though SVG in New Orleans? Do you think it makes it less likely more likely that a guy like Holiday stays there, maybe even Reddick. Both of those guys unrestricted free agencies. After the season, you will those guys still be on the trade market. It favors you know, tast mentioned as well, Like I wonder with him coming in there, especially Hollanda as the best of the bunch there, what do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's just about their timeline. Really, He's got some history with JJ Redick stand van in Orlando, so he might want to have his veteran presence on the roster there. But if you're JJ Redick, you probably look at this roster and think we're not competing for a championship in the next season or two. When he's you know, he's probably only got a couple of years left in the league, so he may want to go on. But I wouldn't be surprised if Stan's like, listen, I just want you around to help out, help sort of coach these younger guys. As for Drew Holliday, I mean, we know he's a great player, we know he's a great defensive player, but again he is he sort of looking right now and thinking, if I'm going to win a championship, it's not going to be here in New Orleans because it's not going to happen for the next two or three seasons at least, no matter how well Zion Williams developed. So I think Drew Holiday probably probably wants to move on and probably wants to go to a team that's a little bit closer to contending. But of course it comes back down to them what they can can they get in return for him? What sort of package do the Pelicans want? Do they want younger guys, do they want hicks, do they want assets? You know, to build for the future here with Zion, Because clearly Zion is the key and they have to get the right players around him, but they also have to get pieces that fit around him. And the big question of course is Brandon England is that a long term fit there together? But in you know, aside from that, they have to get pieces that are going to sort of be able to grow with Zion. And sort of reach their peak at the same time. So that's going to be the question. I think you get something good in return for Drew Holiday, So I think he's got some value. It's just whether or not the Pelicans want to have some veterans around or do they want to just sort of basically blow it up and start now building around Zion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is what's interesting about the sveg Higher. It says to me, hey, we want to win now. I mean, this is not like ant Borkrin or like some you know, unnamed assistant that we don't know of, and it's like, okay, we'll come in and you know, we'll look four or five years in the future, and obviously he's as Zion as our centerpiece and we will be a contending team down the road. This team you get Sam van Gundy. You're saying to me, at least, no, we want to win now. No, I'm not saying title, but we want to get into the playoffs. We want to be, you know, a contender of some sort. So that's what that's fascinating. And then yeah, how much does that play with keeping Drew Holiday or not? How many picks can you get for Drew holiday. You know, are you looking at like what Conley got in his return? You know that type of thing. So, yeah, a lot of questions here. I'm excited that I'm with your task. It sucks that he won't be on the call because he's one of the best. I do like that we have an NBA TV front office though now in David Griffin and stan Via Guddy together feels like we're part of the team in a weird way. But yeah, it's it's a it's an interesting decision to like for me. Again, I don't know if that's ownership from the Pelicans, if that's Griff himself, Like, no, no, we want to win now, and we think we've got obviously some young talent here and we'll see who stays and what we can get in return for some of these older guys maybe, But yeah, we're gonna go get some w's right now because stan Van that's what he's gonna do, and he's hopefully gonna make that defense better. You know, Dan Devine did have a great article I thought I shared it on Twitter talking about Van Gundy teams. They control the defensive glass, they keep opponents off the line, keep them out of transition, which the Pelicans were brutal at. They take care of the ball for the most part, and they force the other team to shoot the shots that they don't want to take. It's pretty simple stuff, really, but that's what stan Fanny tries to implement, those like the classic don't kill yourself, like like, just don't make it easier for your opponents. So they should be better. They're instantly going to be better, I think with stan Maan Gunny as their coach, But how much better in a loaded West? I mean, like, are the Pelicans to you? I know this is tough right now here in October and we don't even know when the season is starting, But are they a playoff team? Are they a lock to make the playoffs?
Speaker 2: That should be that should be their expectation. I think so you think they're luck?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: But the goal. But this is what hiring Stanman Gundy is saying.
Speaker 2: You think, yeah, I think. I think there's two extremes we saw in one season last year, the expectations fell out, fell off the table because Zion Williamson wasn't there. And then when we saw him come back, the expectations went through the roof. And if he's healthy, I think we're all sort of we're all in the boat where we're still kind of sour with what happened in the bubble, just as far as you know fan base goes. But big picture, if David Griffin sits back and looks at what Zion did and what his team look like on the offensive end for a good chunk of his minutes, he's got to be pumped. And so yeah, you bring in Standan because you want to win right now. I think Drew Holiday is there next year because stan Van is a guy who wants Drew Holiday on the floor big time. So I expect them to have the same type of team. And it would be a huge disappointment if Zion is healthy next year and they don't make the playoffs for them, because it's there's a lot to tanker with. And I think that's when stan Van, when he's on zach Low in July, he wasn't, you know, pining for the job back then. That was Alvin Gentry's job back then. But if you listen to that podcast, you can hear the gleam in stan Ban Gundy's eye is pumped to just talk about that roster to talk about Drew Holiday and Zion Williamson and what everybody was excited for last year. You know, when we're looking forward to Game one, Zion is going to take the floor, and then he got injured and it didn't happen until you know, he hit four threes against the Spurs. I guess it was January when he came back. But I think they have enough talent. And we talked about defense. Zion Williamson. There's the highlight that is played constantly from his college days where he's in the lane and he goes out and blocks a shot in the corner with like a step and a half, like a Yiannis like step. He can be, if he's held accountable, a great defensive player as well, and they've got the offensive tools. You know, Brandon England is a star. So I think their goals should definitely be the playoffs, and if they're healthy, they should definitely be disappointed if they don't make it. It's exciting. It feels like it's almost like, you know, whatever it was twelve months ago when everyone was pumped to see Zion on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think with Drew Holiday too, the idea of trading him or not. I think it's totally up to him. I think if Drew Holiday, I think he's so respected in this league and I'm sure has a great relationship with the Pelicans that if he said, like you were saying, ly, if he was like, I want to go win a ring, you know, I don't think it's going to happen here in the next couple of years. You guys are set up maybe for the long term, but I want to go get that. I'm getting to that point in my career. I think they would because he's obviously would be coming up to free agency unrestricted free agency a year from now. I think they would honor that, and I think they would look to see what they could get for him. But I'm not so sure he would. Actually, I don't know. You know, Drew Holly doesn't seem like that type of guy to me either, Like I have no idea, Like maybe he was just like, no this, you know, we got a new coach in here, let's see what we can do. And maybe, like task, I sort of split. The difference here is you don't trade him this off season, whatever the hell the off season means anymore, but you wait until whenever the trade deadline is right, and then you know, you get the odd desperate team and maybe the trade package coming back is a little juicier. Maybe there's an extra pick, maybe there's another younger, small, younger asset that's included. So yeah, I sort of now think if I'm a betting guy, I wouldn't. I don't think Holly will be on a different team at the start of next season, though I still sort of have an idea that he will be traded around the trade deadline because at that point, you know, who knows what your team has done up to that point, how many wins you have. Are the Pelicans in a race, a playoff race? Have they shocked people in like a fifth seed? Who knows? But I sort of think he will be there now at the start of the year. And I think Reddick as well. Favors is an interesting one, but we will see anything to add before we get to the questions with the Pacers hiring Raptors assistant Nate Yorkrin, I believe I'm saying that right. You know, it's one of those ones that I think is not that difficult to say, but it looks crazy, right, But yeah, I mean, this was a little out of left field Lee. You know, there was all There's been a lot of big names being thrown around, you know, coaches that have coached before, and this guy gets his first shot here in Indiana.
Speaker 3: What do you think they're hoping to get Nick Nurse? Light? Really, because it's been with Nick Nurse a long time. I think you're dieting back twelve or thirteen years when they first started coaching together. And he's going to try to adapt a lot of the principles that Nick Nurse is implemented there Toronto three pointers, move that ball, and you know what, if things aren't working, I'm going to try things. I'm going to try things differently. I'm going to try to improve the defense. He likes that opportunity, likes that team. So yeah, I think it's a bit of a flyer here for sure for the Paces because he's a relative unknown to most basketball fans. But I think they look at the success that Nick Nurse had and how he was able to communicate with players, and that's one of the things that Bjork spoke about. He said, we've got to communicate, We've got to get everyone on the same page. And that's one thing that Nick Nurse has been very, very successful with So if the Pacers can get a guy who's able to communicate with his players and get the same sort of respect from them, then things should improve the Pacers. I think this is a playoff team. It's just they've been this same sort of on the treadmill here for a couple of years now, where they make the playoffs. They're good enough to make the playoffs, you know, bit seed, six seed even higher, but that's they can't really get any further than that. So the Pacers are hoping to turn a corner. They've got a few question marks, of course, with their roster as whether or not on the deepot stays maybe Miles Turner, so that it will be some interesting things they have for Indiana. But I think it's it's I think it's worth shot.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 3: I think he's done his time and they've seen success with Nick Nurse, and I think maybe Night you can have the same sort of impact on oucing anything to add tests.
Speaker 2: No, it's just kind of hard to evaluate because you don't know what his roster is going to be. We don't know if Victor Oladipo is going to be there. I assume he's got the the htzpah of a nick nurse, like he's going to take some chances and try and get creative on the offensive end. But who the heck knows the Pacers roster next year. I mean, we really have no idea, and that leads us into our first question. Unless you want to talk, No, let's do it some Nate. Yeah, let's do it, because we've got a hypothetical here. We got a who says no. I know you're excitedly. Hello, No Dunks. I love your podcast. I listen to you guys so much that I think of you all as friends. My question today is a who says no, The Warriors trade Andrew Wiggins and they're twenty twenty second overall pick for the Pacers, TJ Warren and Miles Turner. I think the Warriors do it because they move on from Andrew Wiggins. They just got the guy, and in return get back a solid third scoring option to TJ. Warren and get a great defensive center and Miles Turner who can try and slow down Anthony Davis. I think the Pacers do it because they start a proper rebuild and get a solid young player in the second overall pick who they can build around turn up love you guys. Awesome. That's from Morgan, our friend in Australia, skeets, what do you think of this? Warriors Pacers? Who says no deal?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you who says no? The Pacers say no, The Warriors say absolutely yes, instantaneously, yes, come on, come on, okay. First all, I couldn't believe that this actually checks out, like you can actually do this trade. You read it and you're like, how is that gonna work? You know, financially it does because Wiggins makes USh ton of money, you know, twenty nine point five million, still three years to go. The number two pick, you know obviously rookie scale con track type thing, that's going to be close to nine million. But then Warren eleven point seven million for two years, Turner seventeen point five million for three years. So basically adding those two gets you to Wiggins. So it does work. Here is why though, I just think the Pacers say no, and this is like a I'm glad we got to this because you've seen a lot of these, Like the Warriors are going to trade the number two pick, what could they get back? Who could they get back? There is an overall lack of consensus surrounding the top available prospects in this draft. Now, I am not a draft expert, but that is that is clear. If this were to happen, there's no way it goes through without I think Golden State having to throw in another pick in the They have to probably throw in the twenty twenty one Minnesota pick from the D'Angelo Russell trade, which is protected top three and twenty twenty one and then is unprotected. Now things that gets a little more interesting to me because you have the Pacers taking on the bigger, longer term deal in Wiggins, who, by the way, of those three guys that we mentioned, is he the worst player easily? Yes, exactly, so you'd have to be.
Speaker 2: I think we're super pumped about TJ. Warren's right.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not super pumped at all about TJ.
Speaker 2: Warren.
Speaker 1: Well, but he's Wiggins is not as good as a TJ.
Speaker 2: Warren.
Speaker 1: I'd rather hit on my team at the contract he is task basically.
Speaker 2: A third Okay, well, you're throwing two things in there. Is he the best better? I mean, is he going to be your small forward on a championship team like are the Warriors going to say, hey, this guy's are starting small forward on our championship team. TJ.
Speaker 1: Warren, Well, yeah, you you are holding I mean, Wiggins Island is completely yours now, but ulmost respect it. But I just don't think the Pacers do this without another pick being thrown in. There is my point, because again, this draft is not like you're not getting John Moran at number two here, you know, you like you're you don't even know who you're gonna get because you don't know first off of Minnesota is keeping the number one pick and who they're taking or if it's traded, who the hell the other team is taken? So who's let you know? I mean, are you getting Ball? Are you getting Wiseman? Are you getting Edwards? Like you don't really know? And all three of those guys, by the way, again I'm not an expert when it comes to draft, but no one's like, well, they're a ten time All Star, you know, they're future All NBA player. Like people are not saying that by any means with a lot of these guys. So it's a huge unknown. So I just think in this scenario, and this is to our friend Morgan, this is an easy who says no that the Pacers would say no, they would need more. But all that to say, I mean there is there are packages for Wiggins and the number two pick and maybe another pick out there. I just don't think it's going to be as juicy as what I think is a pretty good return in TJ. Warren and Miles Turner. Those are two really complimentary players in my opinion, to Steph Curry, Clay and Draymond Lee.
Speaker 3: You agree or disagree, No, I agree, I would if I'm the Pices, I would not want Andrew Wiggins coming back for giving up those two players. I mean, TJ. Warren I think would actually be a nice fit on that team. If you've got Steph and Clay and Draymond out there, and I'm forgetting someone. No, but then and then t J. I warren't just shoot three pointers in the corner. I think that's that's okay, That's what the paces of the war we look for. They don't need someone else who's going to command a whole lot of the ball.
Speaker 1: And the Warriors would do this in a hopeing at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as Myles Turner, I mean, I'm not a huge fan of his right now, but I think again, in the right team, on the right system, he could improve. But yeah, what you were saying there as well is about the draft. No one knows anything really about how deep this draft is. A because we didn't see a lot of these guys play, and B it's just not being hyped up. A lot of people have got like multiple different guys going in that one or two spot. So yeah, if I'm the Paces, you need way more than that in return if you're going to give up those two players. And if you're the Warriors, though, again you're in a win now mode. So a rookie coming onto that team, I'm not sure how much that fits anyway. So I think the Warriors are definitely looking to move and get some more veterans, So yeah, I think they would do that as well. But see, I.
Speaker 1: Agree with that. But my point is usually the number two pick, wow, I'm intrigued because usually that means I'm getting a real damn good player. I think it's different this year. I think it's a bunch of unknowns and it's like it doesn't have as much value as it normally would at the number two spot. I think that's my point So if I was again Indiana in this scenario, I'm just gonna need more. I'm just gonna need it. I'm gonna need another pick. I'm gonna need that Minnesota pick. Throw it in, all right, top three protected twenty twenty one and then unprotected. That's a little juice here, because now you're looking at drafts down the line, and you're Indiana and you're rebuilding and all that, and you're moving guys anyway, So you would just ask for more. That's what I think tasks, but you don't mind it well.
Speaker 2: I think the Pacers would be inclined to say yes just because they get that number two pick. Just a number two pick just doesn't come around very often. I know, everybody doesn't know who is going one, two, three, and there are teams that are thinking, well, maybe we can trade down from two to eight and still get our guy, because there's just there's so many varying opinions. But if you want to start a rebuild, like the Pacers sure seem like they do, if Victor Oladipo is going to go somewhere else, if he is not the star that they thought they had in twenty eighteen when he was dueling Lebron in a seven game series. Well, then maybe you got to move on and to get a number two pick. Look up and down their roster that they don't have a high pick sitting on their bench. They just don't. So yes, I understand that you may not get a star at the number two pick, but I think that starts the conversation for this trade because you may want to move on from TJ. Warren when his value is ridiculously high here if you're going to start the rebuilding and Miles Turner, as solid as he's been, he hasn't really impressed to the level that everyone expected to. So I don't know. If I'm the Warriors, I try and get somebody else for the number two pick. Yeah, Miles Turner, A you're gonna have out there guarding Anthony Davis, I guess, but I don't know's there's big question marks on both sides when you look at this deal. And I know Andrew Wiggins is a question mark in and of himself for sure, but they're going to give him a chance to guard some people on the wing. And Lea saying, you know TJ. Warren in the corner hanging out, well, Andrew Wiggins hanging out and being a third option as well. And you know he can he can play defense? Will he Who the heck knows this? I mean, who says no? Who says yes? It's a very difficult question.
Speaker 1: How about this trade idea? Then I saw SI dot com threw this one out Wiggins the number two pick and that Minnesota twenty twenty one pick, because again, I think that's gonna have to be included in a lot of these to Atlanta Lee for Clint Capella and the number six pick. Warriors stay in the draft, obviously slide down a little bit, so they're gonna be able to pick someone that you're gonna have to be nice to have a cheap guy on our roster with obviously a bunch of money. And you get Clint Capella as you're big to pair with all your shooters, a guy that you're gonna then you know, is you're gonna be I guess asked to try and guard the Anthony Davison and stuff like that. What do you think of that one? Wiggins number two pick, twenty twenty one Minnesota pick for Capella and the number six pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you're getting too like high picks basically in exchange there for Capella and Wiggins. I think the Hawks would do that, I mean, because they're at a different place right now. The only question is Trey Young. We know was frustrated with front office last year where he was like, I need some players around me. I want to start winning. So with that upset him a little bit. If you're like, Okay, we're sort of stocking up again for next year's draft, and we're getting another high draft pick, another guy to develop, so we're going to sort of the timeline gets pushed back a little bit further. So they may be cautious of that, but in theory otherwise, I think, yes, you do that. If the Atlanta Horse could just accumulate those assets, keep going until you're ready, because you've got some good players, there're some good potential, but someone like John Collins, I mean, how much better is he going to get? And is he guy for the future, So maybe you can look to sort of maybe move him in a package. And if you've got another draft pick there, that's when you can sort of start to sweepen deals if you want to try to get another player. So that's how I think it works. I think if you the Hawks, yes, you do that, and then we.
Speaker 1: Would have Wiggins right here in our backyard. Oh man, click copella. Would he wouldn't even have played a game if there's something like those went down for the high play for them, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't, I don't remember, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I saw some footage of him and Tree looking at a whiteboard looking over a play, and I thought, where the heck is that from? But I guess they hung out and right, they've just never played. Yeah, yeah, I did a little work together. But yeah, they would move on before he played a game, just like Morgan. Email are saying that Andrew Wiggins, well, they'd move on from Andrew Wiggins. They just got the guy. But I understand, I understand Wiggins is a very polarized.
Speaker 3: He's going to be a hoppy title I think for sure. Yeah, people are like, yeah, I mean, he's got that huge contract, but he's the number one pick, he's got talent, he's athletic. Maybe we can get something out of him, but he'll end up on IT teams and geez.
Speaker 1: I mean, at this point, it's almost I'd be shocked if the Warriors don't do something. Yeah, you know, draft night here because they have so much to play with. They have all these picks. You know, you got a big deal in Wiggins, you got the player exception still from Igadala seventeen point two, a huge one. Yeah, they've got smaller ones as well. I don't think you can package those together, by the way, in the same trade. But yeah, I'll be shocked if they don't do something at this point. There's just so much smoke, and you know, he feels like they have gotta be a little bit of fire with that. But we will see. Maybe they just end up taking Wiseman number two. They're like, all right, it's our big. Let's go with a young big with these with all these shooters, we will see. All right, great, first, want to get a started. Next one here Ao no Dunk's Crew. On a recent pod, Skeets mentioned how he always forgets that the Nets made back to back finals appearances in two and three. Yes I did. I couldn't believe it. I had to catch myself. This got me thinking about other successful teams over the past ten to fifteen years that basketball fans or the NBA community has forgotten about. Once you got Turnip love you guys. No awesome from Tim here just stopped right after love you guys. It is from Tim again. So yeah, teams, successful teams at that past ten to fifteen years that we've just forgotten about for whatever reason. Tasks when you get started.
Speaker 2: Well, this one's definitely forgotten. It's not so much for what they accomplish that I want to talk about them, but who it was up against. The Washington Wizards were Lebron's first rival. It's forgotten the first three years when Bron went to the playoffs when he was a member of the Cavs. He went up against the Wizards and the infamous teams of Gilbert Arenas, Carom Butler, and Twine Jamison three straight years, and we were getting peak gil that first year. He averaged thirty four points per game in that playoff series against the Calves. It was only a six game series, but this was this was awesome Gil. He was forty three percent from three point land. It got injured for the second one and he kind of wasn't the same player after that. It was a real short peak for Gilbert Arenas. But those two teams did not like each other. And you know, this is two thousand and six, so This was kind of going back to an era where the big man was, you know, more traditional, was trying to put the best player on the other team on his ass. And the Wizards had Brendan Haywood the big, big center. And there was a time where Lebron said it was mid mid series where he said, you know, I'm getting hit and not getting the call, and Brendan Haywood was asked about that. We've got the clip here.
Speaker 4: Oh he's trying to hit me. I mean, come on, man, this is the playoffs, man eight whears twenty three. He wants me. Michael George, I can respect that. He's a great player. He saw Mike went through. Mike got found way worse than this. You know what I'm saying is no one's trying to hurt him. Everybody's trying to play basketball, trying to play tough, play basketball, leave alone trying to hurt me.
Speaker 2: Can you forget that? That's great stuff? I mean if that was today, I was just all pre twitter. If that was today, that would be circulating for a good forty eight hours. People would love it, people would keep going back to it. But yeah, he was trying to rock Lebron's world. And it didn't really work out for the Wizards three straight years. They It was six games the first time, then it was a sweep for the Cavs the second time with no Gilbert Arenas, no Crun Butler even and then the third time was another six gamer, but it was It was a decent battle. Its decent.
Speaker 1: We had the Deshaun Stevenson right versus Lebron, one of those serious that was exciting. That's a good pick. Yeah, Wizards was a good team. I mean, you're obviously running into a young Lebron. They were going to be easy to get by him. That's a good one. You got a team there at Adlie Well.
Speaker 3: I mean, how well known are the grit and grind Grizzlies in that era that they went through between casuals casual basketball fans, So I think we obviously remember it there. But for what seven seven straight seasons, Yeah, seven straight seasons they made the playoffs and made the conference finals, got swept by the Spurs, but they had that incredible upset of the Spurs as well, where they tanked to get the eighth spot to draw the Spurs and then knocked them out in six games, which was really an incredible effort by a Memphis team, but you just kind of knew what you were getting with the Grizzlies every single season. A tough team at the Grindhouse, there was a real, real tough place to win, and it's just a pity they never made it through to the NBA Finals. I would like to have seen that team, you know, because they were very well liked as well, Marcusol, Mike Conley, Tony Allen, then Vince when he came along as well. So they were one of those teams that I think everyone kind of had as a second team, you know, people sort of like to see them perform, but they just never quite got over the line there. But they were fun, they were fun to watch it, and they were always always tough in those playoff games. That had a couple of good series against a Thunder as well, which are pretty good. So you know, I think it's an era that again, casual basketball fans, I don't think we'll remember, but us hardcores who covered it, we'll say they were fun team. They were fun teams to g four. Anyway, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To add a team to the list for the future, the current Bucks team. The current Bucks team when we do this question ten years from now, they'll be on my list. Like we're talking, you know, the last couple of Bucks teams here, I forgot, like the nineteen twenty Bucks, you know, pre pandemic. They were the earliest team to clinch a playoff berth since nineteen eighty four. They had that wrapped up quickly. They were in finish fifty six and seventeen again in a very weird year. They had that eighteen game winning streak. Of course, just flamed out in the playoffs. But this has been the very successful I mean, this is like Budenholzer's Hawks teams. Of course, very successful regular season team and came up short in the playoffs. Now, will they make a huge move this offseason, try and get a Chris Paul somebody else to go even further, try and make a finals, maybe even win a title. Then that changes this, But I guess I'm banking on that not being the case. And then unfortunately, like you know, going out in the second round again, and then it's like, wow, this team won like basically sixty games three years in a row. They had MVP back to back three times, for all we know, had all these great players and they just couldn't get even to the conference finals. That's rough. So we'll go box looking in the future, looking at them a crystal ball. But I liked your answers. Those are great. I love the Wizards one and the Great and Grind Grizzlies for the casual fan, no doubt. I'm sure the people in the stream teamers are maybe throwing out some other ones too. I don't know. I don't have my eye on it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, sort of in your wheelhouse of the Milwaukee Bucks, the twenty fifteen Hawks, the sixty games.
Speaker 3: Oh, what's the common denomen today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, here, make your best Budenholzer face. Lee. That's great audio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, early two thousand Celtics made a conference final. According to Adjacent Fire thirty four the old Pierce and Antoine Walker. That was somewhat random. Yeah, the random conference finalists here there. I was thinking about the Mellow Nuggets in that light. They know snuck one in there. But yeah, it's hard to repeat those. As far as just success getting to finals that are forgotten, it's hard to repeat what the nets did. And you know three when you're looking for somebody that's forgotten.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just that I'm still like, I'm still not Yeah, like I keep going what they made it to back to back finals of two oh three. I mean, I guess it is weird too. They played two different teams. Yeah, it's just and just and didn't really have much of it. I mean, I know they I guess it. Well, the one did go along right, the one series it. Yeah, it's so so strange. Yeah too, that serious, that's so weird.
Speaker 2: I always remember because to Kembi Mtamba was the center for the Sixers that went to the finals in one, and then he got traded to the Nets and was the center for the Nets two thousand and two, and then you get a Todd McCullough center for two thousand and three Pinball Wizard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And maybe a part of this too is like they're they're not even the New Jersey Nets anymore, Like they're not Like it's just like it feels like a completely different team, even though it's of course the same franchise in Brooklyn. Yeah, it's still weird to me that they went back to back, But that's it. If you can beat that one, let us know in the stream team or tweet at us at no Dunks.
Speaker 2: Inc Hello shop blockers. Reading about recent Rockets history, when Darryl Morey stepped down, I was reminded multiple times of Houston missing twenty seven straight threes in Game seven against the Warriors back in twenty eighteen. It struck me that those few words twenty seven straight threes would be enough to ruin any Rockets fans day. It's got me thinking of other short phrases that haunt certain NBA fan bases. Three one lead for Warriors fans, four bounces for Sixers, faithful, and lebronto for Raptors fans are just a few recent examples. Can you guys think of any other NBA moments that torment a specific teams fan base in just a few words? This question ended up being a lot more evil than I intended. Turnips animal crossing. That's from Mitch in Coburg Lee, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I've got one for both you guys, and I'm pretty sure it's gonna work. I'm going to test out my theory here. What's the score? Chris Child? Oh?
Speaker 1: How dare you? I can picture that play so vividly? What was he?
Speaker 3: What was he doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: What was he doing?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 3: Because it was off a free throw too. The Stackhouse hit a free throw, so you know it wasn't like it wasn't in open play per.
Speaker 1: Se, crazy turnover exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, so they had time.
Speaker 1: He's a point guard too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he was good when he Yeah, I think he only played like a year and a half in trot. I thought he was very good when in Toronto. But he just yeah, he just blew it. And uh man, that was a tough way to lose that series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what year is that again?
Speaker 3: It's a two thousand and two two?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I couldn't remember.
Speaker 4: So three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got one. I've got one more. This one's a more generic, it's more for the entire league rather than just the team. But with the second pick in the nine point ninety four NBA draft, that's good, Triblazers, that's good.
Speaker 1: That's good. I got a couple here. I think you would anger a lot of sun Sands if you brought up I don't even know if you need to throw the player's name. You just say hipcheck, the Robert Horriy hipcheck, which obviously got some key players suspended in that series. Maybe that was going to be the one where Phoenix went to the finals. Maybe one MAVs fans, I mean, things turned out well for them down the line, But if you just said the we believe Warriors to MAVs fans, that's going to be a rough one to try and swallow. And then for Kings fans, I mean, you either just say two thousand and two Western Conference Finals, you say forty free throw attempts. Maybe you just say twenty seven fourth quarter free throw attempts. Maybe just say Dick Movetta. You know a lot of things that are going to trigger that Game six of that game where they got the Lakers got a very kind whistle. Though if you remember, and I've heard other Kings players, even I think Doug Christie has said this, like they had a Game seven at home and they missed fourteen free throws in that one. They missed them, so it was not a referee anyone doing that to them, and that ultimately helped them blow that game and blow their chances of maybe winning a title. So those are the three that came to mind for poor Sons, MAVs and Kings fans. You got anything else to.
Speaker 3: Add to just just quickly imagine we had a King's Nets. Finally in two thousand and two, you might not have even remembered that one at all.
Speaker 1: I'd be super upset. Mike Bibby would have a ring with the Kings, right, you got anything to us?
Speaker 2: That's a little like Detroit San Antonio in two thousand and five. It's a bit of the forgotten series. Well, the Mailman doesn't deliver on Sundays, kills Jazz fans. I mean two free throws, just needed one. Now, they probably would have lost if they hit one, if Carl didn't hit both, because samj went down the other end banged that home and that was the end of that series. Well, I mean the malice at the Palace for Pacers fans specifically, because the Pistons had just come off winning the title and then this, So I don't think it hurts them as much. It hurts that ron Our Test was gone for the rest of that season. That team was good. You know, you talk about the Suns potentially making the finals if there wasn't the suspensions and the hipchack there. You know, the Pacers were awesome with ron Our Test and Jermaine O'Neil, and things just fell apart from there. I think for Hornets fans, just Kobe one word. They drafted Kobe and traded them for bloody Devots. It could have been a lot different if they had Kobe Bryant on their team. And a weird one but sort of like the We Believe Warriors for cast fans, Lebron in twenty ten, but also Lebron coming back and helping them win. But that was, you know, it was a storybook in a weird way. But we all remember the Jerseys burning in twenty ten.
Speaker 1: I think you was in that one. You would say the decision for sure that that would trigger some maybe Cat's hands, but you're right, ended up working out for everybody. So that's great. That's a fun question. That's a great question, Mitch. And again, if you got answers, let us know on the stream team or tweet them in at No Dunk. Think we got lots of questions still to get to here, but first a quick word from our sponsors. All right, next question here, Dear nude onlookers. A friend who doesn't watch a ton of basketball remarked during the finals that the Miami Heat logo looks like garlic. I looked at it closely and lo and behold, it does look like a well defined hunk of garlic with a wispy little haircut. All right, Which other NBA logos could moonlight as foods? Ps? Grammarly help me make this email clear and more concise. Turnips love the trade stock them from Angelo in Brooklyn. Yes, okay, so yeah, I mean I can see the garlic there and in the Heat logo, but any other MBIA logos that can moonlightest foods?
Speaker 2: Task? Well, it's really good. The Heat one is really good. Let's take a quick look at that garlic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I see it.
Speaker 2: Totally totally true. I found this a little difficult. But when I looked at the Blazer's logo, okay, kind of looks like a bowl of spaghetti. Okay, at all those noodles, or specifically, if if you put that fork in there and you give it a twirl, there, it is right right, right right, you got a fork full of spaghetti right there. So Blazer's logo, classic logo right there.
Speaker 1: I looked at all these logos, I was struggling to come up an answer. I did. I did stop on the Blazers one, and I was like, this looks like something but I couldn't get to swatty task way to do it, h Lee, any luck with any of the other ones, same as you.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, what am I saying it? The only thing I can sort of see is the Indiana pieces Like I was kind of someone holding like chicken drumstick or a ticky tru.
Speaker 1: Okay, not bad like the fair right example, times I got the turkey leg exactly that that's the best one I could come up with some Yeah, but they've changed so much over the eas as well.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like everybody, I mean, they should have been.
Speaker 1: You think you've seen NBA logo, you figured out the food, it looks like they go and change the logo.
Speaker 2: Crazy crazy, Yes, there's an old there's old rockets are that it's kind of looks like it's dripping at the bottom, like it's kind of like barbecue sauce, and like it looks like it's definitely dipped into something. But the R doesn't look like food, right right.
Speaker 1: And and I'll just say this now, okay, just save yourself, save the email of sending us in pointing out if you turn the bulls logo upside down, it's like a robot reading a Bible. Okay, that's been around since the Wizards were battling Lebron James in the playoffs. So just you don't need to let us know. We're well aware it's crazy. You're right, it looks like a robot and it's so funny that comes around. But once a year that just like gets like finds life again on Twitter or on the blogs or look at this. Yep, we've been looking at that for fifteen plus years. I'm sure I blogged about that in one of my first years, and it will be around. It's amazing though, all.
Speaker 5: Right, what about the uh, I don't know if you remember back in twenty sixteen when Jaegermeister went after the Bucks for their Yogo like that.
Speaker 1: It's paid gretty close. It's pretty Yeah, it is. It is. Indeed, are you a Yagermester family.
Speaker 3: I've had it, but uh not for I don't know. I couldn't tell you the last time I've had it, but you know I've tried it. Yeah, very fine.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done what's it called a doctor pepper? I don't think call it a doctor pepper where you drop a shot at Yager yagermester in a in a pint of beer and you taste like doctor Pepper.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think I've ever done that. No, I think I've just had shots of it, and it's like I didn'd see what the big deal is? That's special?
Speaker 1: Great that week? Clear it up?
Speaker 3: All that a big shot. I'm just not a big shots guy, to be honest with, I'm not a big shots guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, trying to think because you're not twenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know. One night, I remember having a few too many tequila slammers and oh that made a bit of a mess of me that day. Yeah, I remember I came home because I'd been out and I and I slept all day and Mum was just like, what did you drink last night? Because you're usually not that bad like you're usually if you hung over, usually up at about But I was just did bed all day. A cool story, bro. Think I was drinking tequila a little bit too much tequila?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, Lee, we've never done a shot while we watched the EFL Grand Finals.
Speaker 3: Ah, Hey, it's on tomorrow morning, four thirty in the morning.
Speaker 1: You're going to do it tequila shot at in the morning.
Speaker 3: Let's do Sambuka instead. I think that's uh, that's ok.
Speaker 5: You gotta do Bundy. You're of Bunder, Yeah, that's yeah. The Australian basically is the Australian screech for the Canadians out there.
Speaker 1: There you go. So, yeah, this is going to be the first time in a long time. We're not getting together to watch it obviously, unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, but like I think I got it wrong. It's actually four thirty our time as first bounce they started, they started daylight saving out on the East Coast before we've ended it here.
Speaker 1: So and that's weird because we usually watch it at night here in America because they play the game during the day. But yes, you're saying, for the first time whatever, they're playing this at night over.
Speaker 3: There, first time ever, First time ever a night ground final.
Speaker 1: First time does the ball bounce differently under the moon lane?
Speaker 3: I mean most of the big games are played at night anyway now because of the TV audience, But first time ever, it's not been in the MCG part from nineteen ninety one they had it at a different ground because they were renovating the MCG. So a lot of traditionalists like it's not the same. It's not in Melbourne. But it's a game.
Speaker 1: Who's in the who's in the final.
Speaker 3: Two Victorian teams Ironic Richmond again, Richmond going for their thirty four years against Geelong. So go Kats, I'm going with the Tigers. I'm going for the Tigers.
Speaker 1: Go on Cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I think I would say Richmond are probably about a ten to fifteen point favorite. I would say I would say, okay, see, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, good luck to both teams. I hope it's a high scoring affair. Yeah, is that what you say?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you cleaned up last year. Remember you won the you want the money line?
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. I'm really good at picking up.
Speaker 3: I want a footy in the raffle. You've got a six pack. It was a great It was our best night last year for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm going to miss this. I can't believe our tradition is coming to and end. I'm coming over in your house forour thirty in the morning. All right, bring it to killer. We got along long one here. Let's get to it.
Speaker 2: Does a Geelong play before their games that they played Jelong Jeong Jelung Gelong Jeeng Jelong lung Lee, long, long, long, Sorry about that. Listen JD. Get the cool story bro audio drop here. I can't talk the cool story drop for this guy here Hey absence of jams. On the latest Beach episode, Lee sounded truly terrifying when talking about the delivery room slash stinky beef situation. I don't think he would ever actually kill a man, but I probably shouldn't make any assumptions about a man who sits backwards on a toilet to bee. I had my own smelly delivery room situation when my son was born in April, but I was the villain. My wife was going on hour eighteen in the hospital and I was getting hungry, so I ordered some Chipotle delivery for dinner. Unfortunately, immediately after I ordered, the doctor came in and decided it was time for the epidural. As the nurses prepared to inject a giant needle into my wife's spine, I got an alert that my delivery driver had arrived, so I slowly slunk out of my room to grab my food. Since this was peak quarantine, no eating was allowed in any public areas, so I returned to the delivery room and ate my delicious burrito bowl in the corner, all while my wife glared at me. She hadn't been allowed to eat a proper meal since over eighteen hours ago, and here I was crushing a massive Chipotle bowl. I had to order double meat to hit a delivery minimum, which only made things worse. Yeah, I'm sure your wife was looking over evening this guy order double meat. Needless to say, what I thought would be a nice, hearty dinner instead turned into an absolute disaster. Bringing it back to basketball, hopefully the baby went. Okay. What are your favorite examples of NBA teams thinking they're set up for success only to totally implode in hilarious fashion. Turn up, love you guys. Awesome. That's from Steve Ward in Chicago eating at Chipotle bowl horror. Thanks Steve for sending that in.
Speaker 1: Do you think they named their baby Chipotle? Chipotle Ward?
Speaker 2: Wack?
Speaker 1: What's your baby's name? Extraquak?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so back to basketball. That was a very cool story, bro, no doubt. I did like it. I enjoyed it. I glove I included it, And you're right, Leewood, I think Lee would kill a man. I think, yes, yes, that was You're saying like that, you have I haven't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in that hospital room, that was his clasest of common and I would have leaded guilty, but of also said I'm not going to jil for that because he deserved it, so right right, changing the rules.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, favorite examples of NBA teams that were sort of set up and they imploded. I got a couple. One of them I already mentioned in this podcast, The Mavericks. That's a rough one. I mean they were the Mavericks were sixty seven and fifteen and O six oh seven. That's a hell of a record, you know, after having just made the finals year before, Dirk won MVP and they got sort of embarrassed by the We Believe Warriors. I mean, you had Steven Jackson shutting down the MVP in Dirk and Matt Barnes all up in his shorts and stuff like that. So hey, I don't know if it's hilarious, but that was, like, damn, that's a real good team. Losing to an eight seed there twenty ten to eleven heat is an obvious one, just because they are the not one, not two, not three, blah blah blah. The decision of the super team the Villains, and they lose the first year. Of course they had some success after that, but to see them lose, I think people were loving that. They were relishing the fact that especially Lebron came up short after going down to South Beach taking his talents. And then I'll add one more. I'll say recent one. I think a lot of people enjoyed the twenty nineteen twenty Clippers imploding and blowing a three to one lead themselves to the Denver Nuggets. A lot of people dislike Paul George, A lot of people dislike Patrick Beverley in Kawhi even polarizing, I think to some people with the load management, and then of course Toronto and Canada and him leaving. You know, some people upset, some people, not like myself. But I think people took some little joy in them falling to the Nuggets after being up three one. So those are three that come to mind. You got anything to add there, Ley.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just on the Kawhi stuff. I think it is very interesting because the rept has won the championship, and when Kawhi took off twenty two games, but the championship sort of pipe it over any cracks because if he left off for a year, let's say that four bounds, it didn't go in filling, they lose. I think there would have been like, man, the Raptors players didn't like the fact that Kawhi took off games whenever he felt like it, but they won and won the championship, whereas the Clippers now it's like, see, you didn't you did all that load management and we came up short. So then they start turning on each other a bit, they start pointing the fingers a.
Speaker 4: Bit, you know.
Speaker 3: So that's an interesting scenario that's playing out there. So for me, I've got a couple two. The twenty twelve twenty thirteen LA Lakers were second favorite heading into that season, second championship favorite behind the Miami Heat. That's, of course, with Dwight and Steve Nash, and they got swept by the Spurs in the first round. They had a few injuries. But there's a fantastic if out there of Dwight Howard sort of slunking to the bench and Tim Duncan just smiling the whole way, just like in a classic Tim Duncan fashion, like just laughing at Dwight because they went in. They had that Sports Illustrated cover with they had the Union shorts and singlets they were wearing, and it just fell as it's gonna be fun exactly. It fell apart very very quickly. And then the other one is the twenty twelve thirteen Brooklyn Nets roster. Of course they made the huge trade there in the office. It was at thirteen fourteen. Actually maybe it might be off the season there, but it was when the Nets gave up three unprotected first round picks for Pearson Garnette and I think Jason Terry as well, And we knew that was short sighted at the time. And if you look at some of the players the Celtics have got out of that draft now, like Brown and Tatum done just keeps on coming back to haunt the Brooklyn Nets. So that was pretty fun. I mean, of course, they did upset the Raptors in the first round, which is not fun. Another sort of bad day for the Raptors here, but then they got killed by the heat again. Lebron and Dwayne Wade killed them in the second round. So I think people enjoyed seeing just how desperate the Nets were to win and the expectations at the owner Prokerov gave them and they gave up their Miliga to the future, and they didn't even get close to a championship. So a couple of fun ones.
Speaker 2: There barely is not my GM just feeling this thing and yeah, Billy making a bad move there. To me, I go back for a team that really disappointed after the expectations were really high. I go back to two thousand, Tracy McGrady and grand Hill teaming up with the Orlando Magic. I just thought, two Hall of famers in their prime, they're gonna win a playoff series. One they didn't win a playoff series. Now, a lot of that has to do with grand Hill, no doubt, because he was injured. You know, he had some serious injuries where he had a staff infection and he had rushed him back to the hospital and that was really worrisome. I think he had one hundred and four fever. So amazing that he came back to play the way he did for such a long career. But I just thought Tracy McGrady, he left the Raptors for a reason to be the number one guy, and it's crazy when you look back. He led the league in scoring twice as a member of the Magic. He was a baller. He was an All NBA player all four seasons that he was there, which I totally forgot. Twice on first team, twice on the second team. But the embarrassing part enters in in two thousand and three. If you guys remember, they were playing the Pistons and they're up three to one, and Tracy McGrady was at the podium and he said, it feels good to get into the second round. Now. Maybe he forgot that the five game series had been gone that season. Maybe thought it was a five game series and they won, but the Orlando Magic blew that three to one lead and the Pistons came back because they used that as bolton board material, I'm pretty sure. And Tracey McGrady didn't get out of the first round there, so that was that was ugly stuff. Grant Hill and Tracy McGrady. You just thought those two amazing players, but didn't come together whatsoever. And then McGrady left and went to Houston and balled out there. He was amazing there, but the playoffs sort of haunted him as well.
Speaker 1: For sure. All right, our next one here, Hi, guys, I discovered you on my road trip across the country while I was moving from State College Pennsylvania back to Los Angeles this past summer. It was right before the Bubble relaunched, and you guys had been doing a bunch of stories on what was happening leading up to it. It was on my stretch of drive driving from Dallas to New Mexico on I ten that I decided to really get back in the know of what was going on in the bubble. And a few podcasts later, I was hooked on No Dunks. I got a dog back in August, and No Dunks has been my official dog walking podcast. Oh thank you. Has there ever been a time you were on a long drive or doing something so boring you decided to listen to something new and then you got hooked. Keep up the good work. That's from Virginia. Now back in Los Angeles, task what you got?
Speaker 2: I got a weird one. For some reason, I can't remember why. I was looking at the top charts of Apple podcasts because I needed just something to listen to. So I had listened to Joe Rogan a little bit a long time. This was I don't know seven, eight, nine years ago. I don't know how long it was, but Joe Rogan's been around for a long time, so I thought, oh, I'll just click on to Joe Rogan here. But I wasn't clicking on a Joe Rogan. I clicked on the Joe Rogan Experience. Experience, a show that recapped the Joe Rogan Show.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I started listening to these three guys are just talking about Joe Rogan and the stories he was telling on the latest episode, and they were saying, you know, it wasn't a great episode. I've heard those Joe Rogan stories before. I'm like, this was on the top charts. It was I don't know, ten, eleven, twelve. It was way up there, while Joe Rogan was, you know, obviously hovering at the top. But because of Joe Rogan's name, this got up there. And it wasn't a very good experience listening to this experience. So I gotta be honest, I'm not sure if they're still on top of the charts, but I don't think they are, so that experience not so good.
Speaker 1: We should start a podcast commenting on them. On Joe Road Layers We together. Wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: What happened to the two of the Week Army podcast, which.
Speaker 3: Is I was going there for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'll go next year because I've done a long road trip. I've driven back to Canada once or twice here a couple of years ago. Now of course, from Atlanta. It's a long drive fourteen fifteen, sixteen hours and one of those trips we this was all Nora's doing. You know, she's plugged into the the crime podcasts. She found one called crime Town, that's what it's called. And man, I was hooked. We were both hooked. It made the drive go so quick because it's like a serial documentary podcast produced by Gimblet Media. This is years ago now, I think twenty sixteen is when it started. It's about how organized crime has shaped like particular American cities. And the first whole season was about Providence, Rhode Island. You know, so a city I know nothing about, had no idea. There's all these mob ties and all these weird characters in this organized crime so well done. The characters in this are amazing. It's real. And I think it was like eighteen official episodes and then there was a bunch of bonus episodes and I just remember that drive like it was like we're not stopping, Like I mean, like I'm so into this, I'm so in the zone drive and we're making great time here and like this is just the hours are flying by because we're just enthralled with this podcast. So Crime Town shout out to Crimetown again twenty sixteen. I think they maybe started to do a second season about Detroit. I think I didn't. I didn't have a trip to go on, so I wasn't listening to it, So you can correct me if I'm wrong some some of the listeners out there. I don't even know if they continued with it, but look it up if you ever got a long drive Crime Town twenty sixteen about Providence, Rhode Island. It's fascinating stuff just because the characters the guys are talking to are amazing. Su I don't care, we're going We're finishing this episode at least, even if it ends us on the side of the interesting. Yeah, it's so good. You got an answer.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I haven't been on a long road trip for a while, but we've been on a couple of two or three hour trips with the boys, and I just have to say the listening and driving experience is different when you've got kids because they don't care what you want to listen to. They want to listen to their own music over and over and over again, and if you want to stay sane, you just have to sort of bow and give in. And they like music. But sometimes I just like the Despicable Me soundtrack as well, Minions and stuff like that. And sometimes you're driving along and I'm a little bit different to you. I'm driving as fast as I can to get to the destination so I can turn it off because you're driving long here. I can't do it. But you hear the Despicable Meets voices and it's just like over and over one more time, dad, Especially the eight year old is not too bad, but the four year olds at that stage like again again again, and you're just like, oh my god, no more, please please.
Speaker 5: This is why you're a great I'm a good dad. You're a great dad, because I would never do that ever in a million years. You're listening to what I want to listen to. There's no way that I'm listening to the to whatever they want to listen to.
Speaker 1: Not a chance.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I guess I start the trip by not saying anything about the music. I just sort of hope that no one's listening. But you know, after half an hour, they're like, can we listen to this? Can we listen to that? And I'm just like, all right, I've tried. I've tried resisting in the past, but it just creates a worse environment, I guess, I have to say. I probably when it's just me and Rocksander in the car, I'm probably like, driver decides no, there's no negotiation there. But the kids will wear you down. Man, They're wear.
Speaker 1: You I can't believe I've yelled to the backseat. We're listening to English Nick and the.
Speaker 3: River, Ah Man exactly ninety seven Won the River.
Speaker 1: That's great. I was just listening to it this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'll tell you what. The boys they love. I love a couple. I love Queen, I love Will Smith, and I love Britney Spears as well. So you know, we get a little bit of sort of nineties music and sort of seventies and nineties music in there as well. So I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I like Big Will, I like Queen, Britney's kai JD.
Speaker 5: Do you have an answer for this, well, it's it's kind of almost. The birth of this podcast was I discovered podcasting, not while I was driving, but when I was doing a little show called Kaiu back in the day. It was two thousand and four, two thousand and five, and I was tasked with doing the feat only I only did the feat that first season of Cayu.
Speaker 1: So I would sit there.
Speaker 5: And I couldn't stand Kyu's voice, so I muted the dialogue track and all I would do is just add feet. Every time there was a footstep on the screen, I would have to add a sound effect. So uh, And it was right when Lost had just come out. The Lost came out in two thousand and four, so as I was listening to audiobooks, but it was starting to get a little expensive. So then I discovered iTunes podcasts and I listened to three different Lost podcasts. Those were my first, my first foray into podcasts, and they were terrible, but I listened to them and I was like, I could do this, we could do this. Let's let's do a podcast. And the basketball Jones was born.
Speaker 1: Wow, so we can actually thank Cayu, I guess, and Lost started starting the basket down the hatch we go.
Speaker 2: There was another podcast you were listening to at the time. It was a couple right out.
Speaker 5: Keith and the Girl. I think they might still be going. I think they're still going. So they're they're like O G S.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even I remember that one, Keith and the Girl. Good call. Great questions, guys. Let's take one more quick break before we get to a few more all right, few more questions. We got wrapped over? Run long here today.
Speaker 2: What's up, yeah, floaters. When I had my birthday a couple of weeks ago, my brother showed me a video. It was the one and only Skeets wishing me a happy birthday. I was so surprised and so happy that I had to hold back a few tears of joy. Normally I kind of expect the gifts I get, but that video surprised me so much it kind of overshadowed all the other gifts of the day. So my question to you guys is when was the time you received a gift that you would have never expected? Greetings from Germany. That's from Paul Grimmig. Thank you for the email. Paul Skeats, This one's all you.
Speaker 1: Well, that's fantastic. I'm happy to hear someone in Paul's life came through with the cameo from old Skeatzy. Go to cameo dot com find Jay Skeets if you want a message from me. All that money goes to charity anyway, so might as well do it if you want a video from me, I enjoyed doing them. They are a lot of fun, so I'm glad you liked it, Paul. My answer for this, I already talked once about Nora surprising me with a trip to Dublin way back in the day. That was cool because that's when we didn't have any money either. We were basically poor, you know, trying to get by in Toronto, which is a expensive damn city. But then she somehow sprung this little trip to Dublin for like four days. That was awesome. But most recently, Nora made me a photo book of one of our favorite trips to Western Canada when I went to went to Vernon, British Columbia to see friends, and then we went Nora and I we went sort of a road trip to Bamfed National Park and Jasper National Park and it was such an awesome trip. We were gone for like three or four weeks. So she did the old classic, you know, sort of scrap book, I guess, but you know, you can like upload the photos to these services now and like make these really slick productions. So this was one of my birthday gifts. It was awesome, and we got a second one for free because they accidentally put a weird caption on one of the photos, like in BAMF National Park. It said like accidentally I don't know how it said, like Mongolia or something like that. It's like cam Body or something some weird country that they just for some reason slapped on there. So they sent us another one. But yeah, that was a nice gift. That's a thoughtful gift. Come man, there's like a legit book. We obviously had a ton of photos from seeing friends and doing a bunch of stuff and going to all these parks. I mean, it took her a lot of time and effort to put into this, so something like that it's always next level. So that was very very kind of her.
Speaker 2: That's my buddy Grish's move. That's Buddy Grish. Didn't make it the scrap the scrap book for everything. Took a trip down to the store and made a scrap book.
Speaker 1: But here's me buying some eggs at Public's. Yeah, he does like that. That's a that's a Gris move. But this Nora did it a lot better than any of one I've seen from Grish. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: It's easy to make a mistake on those captions. That wasn't very stake, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just a yeah, it was just a random thing.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: I don't know how the heck popped in there on one of the photos. But you're right, a ton of work. Because you're right, it's not just the photos. There are like this is when we were doing this, or this is where we were and stuff like that. So it's it's extremely well done.
Speaker 2: You've done that before, haven't you shut her fly before?
Speaker 3: I shot a fly tons of stuff basically every Mother's Day and anniversary, roxanner, I do something off. So we've got plates and bowls and mugs and drinking bottles and all sorts of stuff covered in photos. Yeah, we've got scrapbooks all over the place. But because it's it's it's good because otherwise your photos just stay on your phone. Yeah, so many times you get I've got all these great photo, especially from a trip. Then you get home and you just kind of forget about them. So you know, it's good thing. Roxana's birthday, our anniversary, and Mother's Day very very close by. So I just up like crazy on shutterfly for about six weeks and order all sorts of stuff, and you know, it's a bit repetitive, but it's fine.
Speaker 1: It's it's just you standing like this in every photo in a puffy jacket in front of the kids. It's great.
Speaker 2: My mother in law for our kids, does it monthly? We get a monthly Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the Kirbies do that too, don't they. I'm pretty sure they do.
Speaker 3: We get something on Instagram where it's not monthly. It's like when you hit a certain amount of photos, they just automatically triggers it.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, yeah, Now it's it's a little much. Monthly is a little Yeah, that's you said, repetitive. It gets it definitely gets a little repetitive. It's like when you were young and you had a girlfriend for a long period of time, did you celebrate monthly? Did you have a monthly anniversary? I did, mistake, just just do it every so often every few months. Now it is really nice to have and get him off the phone. Lead he got an answer for this baby.
Speaker 3: Well kind of a little bit like what Skeetz was saying there. A friend of mine once flew over from I was in London. He flew from Australia on Emirates to England and something happened on his flight and they gave him a free return flight to Dubai from London, but he didn't really need it because he had his return ticket and they weren't going to give him anything else. They said, this is what we give you, you can transfer it to somebody else. And he gave me a ticket to Dubai, one ticket, and I was like, oh, perfect, I can't wait. I'm going to use it for sure. And I never used it because I was like, I kept trying to organize someone to go with because I didn't want to go by myself, like all the way out there, and it was one of those things I sort of got pushed back a few people like yeah, I'm in, and I'm out. I mean I'm out, and then I ended up just not using it. It expired after like eighteen months or something, I can't remember what it was, and I was like, I can't believe I just had a free ticket to Dubai and I never used it, never been there, never been there. Wow, And I missed out.
Speaker 1: So many photos of you standing in front of We missed out on you and you in the desert alone. I guess we have photos of you in the desert.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to do that thing you can do in Dubai where apparently you can go surfing, you know, on the same day you can go surfing outside and then go inside to that massive skiing room. Have you been there? Did you do that?
Speaker 1: I've been to Dubai. I didn't go that though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I would have done. But this was before Twitter on Instagram, so would have it even been worth it?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: You couldn't make a scrap book.
Speaker 2: A weird gift that I didn't expect. It was basketball. Really. At twenty seventeen All Star Game in New Orleans, check into my hotel room. There's a bottle of champagne sitting there with a card carde signed by Isaiah to Sherlin Champagne that he has brought into the NBA world and was given to some of the media members there, And it was the first official champagne of a celebration of a championship celebration. I guess that was associated with the Lakers this year. It wasn't really made a huge deal, but yeah, I was surprised to see that. And I just bring it up because I know it angers JD because he didn't get a bottle of champagne and you too, LEA, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And JD and I wrote the post all Style Games party and someone took out details specifically and said it's coming, It's on its way, and we're like, right.
Speaker 1: Never hopes he exceeds this man.
Speaker 2: Where is it?
Speaker 5: Blake? Name Blake?
Speaker 3: I can't remember, but I remember getting excited at me and JDB sort of like, great, we're getting a champagne as we deserve. As we deserve never showed up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, there was no way we were getting that champagne. I mean that was the night we were leaving, wasn't it, Like.
Speaker 3: No, but they took our address to like send it to Atlanta there. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, we worked the guy for three more years or whatever, and.
Speaker 1: Every time he like mind drinking a.
Speaker 2: Exactly you think he fills up the sirloin bottles with water after they're they're done just because because he uses them on props as as props on this NBA TV set. Pretty they're drinking. I think they've got to connect. They're not going through Blake.
Speaker 1: I hope you guys get your bottle.
Speaker 3: Of the champagne.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get those jeans you were supposed to get in the mill from?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: What was that guy's name? He was angry. He was angry at my jeans, and he said he's gonna send me a few pays. All right, great, never turned off, never got him old muzzlewamp.
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: Mulewamp, didn't come.
Speaker 2: Didn't get your jeans swamp?
Speaker 1: Oh man, Alright, one more before we wrap this badly up. Hey toe hunks, a long time, first time on one of your recent beach step in episode, Skeets finally noticed that Lee and JD had sneakily replaced the stumpy feet guy in the opener with old eight toes. Yeah, there they are. Now. I'm very much team podcast since I listened to your show every day on the way to and from work. But when I heard this exchange, I had to go back and watch the YouTube video. I was stunned to see that the first three toes on old eight toes right foot are fused, and that's why he's called old a toes. For some reason, I had always assumed that old a toes was called old a toes because he was straight up missing one toe from each foot. I went all these years listening to your show thinking I knew all about your friend's bodies. But boy was I wrong. Anyways, my question to you is this, what's one time you thought you were in on a joke only to realize you had been solely mistaken the whole time? Eight toes Rhino sets grishow. That's from Bayon from London, Ontario, Canada. Shout out to London. I don't really want answer to the question, but I'm one hundred percent on board with what he thought. For the longest time we heard all day toes. I think I've said this before. I thought that just meant that he had four toes on each flat. I would have never, ever, in a million years, I thought that it was because three of them were lumped into one fused together the appearance.
Speaker 3: Of ten, but three operators a single unit, so they only count as eight. Yeah, you know, now I've got another mate called KitKat who's missing. He was born without a thumb, uh, and so he's only got four fingers. So that's that's that's legit.
Speaker 1: That's legit. What's going on in the water in Australia, you got oxygen water. He's weird body, you know, a nuclear place.
Speaker 3: Kit Cats from South Africa.
Speaker 4: So well.
Speaker 3: But it's funny because you know, when you go to meet somebody, it's on his right hand. So when you shake hands, you know the thumb. You realize, yeah that you expect the thumb to be there, and you slide right past and you sort of grab his forearm.
Speaker 1: You're already bad at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one's one of those ones who're like, what the hell did I missed there? You know, but he was born he was born without a thumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a great guy kid cat. Yeah, sure, really good guy. But you know he's sort of like you know people, every time you meet someone new that he's like, yeahs born without a thumb, No big deal.
Speaker 1: Get pissed with you every time you do your old two thumbs up. I'll tell you that. You just fly in his face.
Speaker 3: He's a good sport kit cat. He's fine.
Speaker 2: Here's another guy who has a tattoo of leave. But it's just one from one thumber kit cat. That's legit. It's legit.
Speaker 1: That's a great Honestly, it's just a fun thing to say. It's some perfectual. I'm on bre with that. I like that. Do you have an answer for this, lee?
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of one. Yeah, it is because in school, you know, sometimes when like you would you put the sticker on the back of someone that says kick me and all that, you'll be in on that, but sometimes you were the one who's been kicked as well. I had another story, but that's that one's not appropriate to broadcast because of it involves a couple of people. But that was a pretty funny story one time in Spain, actually in Barcelona.
Speaker 1: That was a pretty funny story.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think, could I somehow shoehorn this in without giving away the details? But no, I can't. Unfortunately, sorry about that. But yeah, it's tough. It's tough, really, I think. I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: The only time we've all been in on a joke is when we used to hide the orange gum from our producer Matt, you know, because he would eat the whole packet in like ten minutes and and act like he hasn't. And so we would have a whole fresh, like twenty packet, grew thing of it, and someone whould hide it.
Speaker 1: We would have to hide it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then all of a sudden Matt would leave the office and come back and there'd just be a packet on the desk and no one would say anything. And a couple of times he was looking around like where did that come from?
Speaker 2: Oh, there was Matt's birthday yesterday. We should have sent him a package that would here to be a whole array of gum. But then you'd open it and there there would be a note, we're hatting it from you, no come find it.
Speaker 1: It would be it would be all the gum that we've already chewed and wrapped of the packet and just put back in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he coun't throw those in the trash, he would pile them up next to his like you would have like ten pieces of chewed gum there, And he wouldn't think that was weird either of all the things that he thinks I did that was gross. He didn't think that was gross.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's fair, Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 2: He's again, he's so against biting into a fresh piece. They'll have used gum on a table for hours. Okay, I'll give a quick answer to this one. And it does involve a thumb. Actually, yeah, the it's not a kit kat story, but the email Aer signed off there with eight toes rhino sets. Grisham a few of our friends, and mine does involve rhino sets. Who was once Canadian Junior Bowler of the Year. The man knows is bowling. He won the TSN Classic Bowl Championship. The announcer said, this kid's got maple moxie. Yeah, that Canadian definitely had a lot of maple moxie rhino sets. Actually, he told me that in the PBA, the Professional Bowlers Association, they had started bowling with two hands, and I didn't believe them. He said, there's no chance, like they would put two hands on the ball and throw it right. You know, they stick their thumb in there, stick their other two fingers in there, corral it and do a you know, their big spin. It's not it's not legal. It's not possible that, but they he had He had me. I just didn't. I mean, I guess I just had myself because I didn't believe it for a while and then then I saw it. The best bowlers in the world now bowl with two hands. Jason Bell Monte, he's a two hand bowler, flinging it out there.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Can you do that? But you mean when you when you say two hands, he's not literally sticking fingers from both hands into the Okay, yeah, he's like what he'd do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's he's got he's got both hands. He guides it with the other hand like it it's it's on the whole time until he he lets it go. He it's not a traditional rear back with your one arm. He kind of you know, it's less of a wind up and uh yeah, that's two hands.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm gonna say, it almost makes more sense, doesn't it. We shoot a basketball with two hands. He's your other one as like a guiding hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just feels like cheating after after seeing generations of generations bowl with one hand. But it's it's the way the game's evolving. It's the way the sports evolving. But it it doesn't feel like cheating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like it.
Speaker 2: The old schoolers definitely don't like it. They think it's they think it's cheap.
Speaker 1: I mean cheating. I don't think it's the right word for it. It's yeah, it's unorthodox. It's be like someone shooting underhand free throws, I would guess. I mean it's it's still the same thing. You're still doing the same The goal is not changed. It's just how you're going about it looks silly, But.
Speaker 3: I think with balling, with professional balls, the spin they put on the ball, I think it would be harder to do that with two hands because you got to curve it around and it's got a grip, and then.
Speaker 1: Maybe the second hand while he's throwing it is like spinning it even more coming down on it.
Speaker 2: The spin's still there. It's just it makes it a tiny bit easier, I guess, to be able to guide it where you want.
Speaker 3: Oh, we've got Dave setting here in the comments. Is his brother someone's talking about.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you.
Speaker 2: Talk to Dave, that's a real Dave set and is a perfect game, says Dave Setton. Twelve strikes in a row eight hundred series is three consecutive games, adding to at least eight hundred. Eight hundred is much harder Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Yeah, he's he's just having a chat with somebody in the in the chat here because Erwin Rossio asked, is is a eight hundred still better than a perfect games? That's the debate. Three games to get you to eight hundred or a perfect game game?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that more more difficult? Because Dave Setton he's never bowled a perfect game from what I remember, but he's done the eight hundred and three games. So that's the debate. But listen, Rhino Sentence, he's got the resume to prove it. Canadian Junior Bowl of the Year. You can watch him on YouTube. TSM Classic Bowl Championship. He's got the maple moxie. He's you mentioned Vick Rouder a couple of weeks ago, League the TSN broadcaster. He's calling Rhino sentence Classic Bowl Championship as he as he check.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. I mean when you said he does all the sports, think bawling was up there as well. I mean Olympics and hockey. It might be possible tennis, but bawling as well. Man, what a stop? Vicky?
Speaker 1: All right, go check that clip out. Let's call it there. Because that's a lot of bowling talk to end a basketball podcast with. But we appreciate all your emails. Keep them coming No Dunks at the Athletic dot com or tweet them in at No Dunksinc. Thanks to everybody who joined us live here as part of the stream team on YouTube. If you haven't catched or listened, excuse me to some of our podcasts earlier this week. I highly recommend you do. We talked to John Schuman about the most Intriguing free Agents, which we ended up realizing wasn't the most intriguing list in the world, but we had a lot of fun with Shoe and then we talked to Ben Standing talking about that Athletic NBA Agent survey, which came out in two parts this week on the Athletic. Some juicy stuff in there, some comments on Lebron and some other things, so go check out. That was a lot of fun as well. So those were two guests we had on this week. If you haven't listened to those podcasts, go and download them. I think you'll really enjoy them. And thanks again for joining us. Keep questions coming. We'll call it there. Everybody, have a safe and fun weekend. Clipper bros. You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up, love you guys.
Speaker 5: Awesome.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do this but a little bit more bowling talk. And since we had John Schuman on this week, who likes to correct people with a well, actually, I just got well actually by my friend Dave said, and he said, I have four three hundreds, four perfect games and was the youngest in Ontario at the time to shoot an eight hundred. Way to go, I just got well actually by my buddy on this show.
Speaker 3: Correct And he's not even the best bowler in his family, but he's probably third.
Speaker 1: That's the crazy part. We're going to see a thirty for thirty talk about the sets bowling one of these days. I'm telling you, embrace the weekend. People.
Speaker 5: You could stay every day.
Speaker 1: Thank you, happy every man so long that you're the one I've waiting for.
Speaker 2: It's happened already.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be grippy.