Speaker 1: Welcome to this week in Music History for the week of June twenty third through the twenty ninth. I am Harry Jacobs, and the fan noise you hear in the background comes from only one place, from the lovely voice of Lynn Hoffman, the host of Well, the host of many things right, you're the host of music saved me.
Speaker 2: Most importantly, Breakfast this.
Speaker 1: Morning, Breakfast this morning. We're not involved. We are not otherwise involved. The nature of our relationship is friendship. For thirty years, music and comedy saved me. And we are in parts unknown, Connecticut and I'm here on vacation and Buzz is not available for the music history for today on the twenty third of June. So I'm here, Lynn is here, full belly from home Coook, Breakfast this morning. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Are you ready to rock and roll?
Speaker 2: I love pinch hitting for Buzz night now listen.
Speaker 1: This is a bit of a hot rob because Smokey Robinson's had some trouble of late, but in nineteen sixty five, on the twenty third of June, they released tracks of My Tears and this was a defining hit for Motown, arguably just one of the great songs in Motown, right, you know the song.
Speaker 3: Of course, I'm probably one of like the godfathers of the genre.
Speaker 1: No question about that, an important figure in Motown history. And hopefully all of the legal stuff, the stuff gets figured out for Smokey, But there's that one in nineteen sixty six. On June twenty third, What we have found, Lynn is that there's never a week, and sometimes there's never a day that there's not Beatles history of some sort involved in our little episodes, and today is no exception. And they kicked off their final world tour in Munich. It marked the end of an era for Beatles live performances, and it was an epic one and an important day in music history.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I can't imagine that there wouldn't be a date where you couldn't connect something musically back to the Beatles.
Speaker 1: Every single week we've been doing this, I want to say, we started doing this at the end of at the end of the year in twenty four and every single week, without failures, there's something Beatles relating. Nineteen seventy five, June twenty third, Alice Cooper fell off stage in Vancouver. He broke six ribs have you ever broken a rib?
Speaker 2: No, but I hear it's horribly painful.
Speaker 1: As they say where we come from, it's wicked painful apparently to break a rib. And Alice busted six of them to a dramatic moment in this theatrical rock career, Big Day in nineteen seventy nine, on this day, this is one of my favorite album.
Speaker 2: No, it's not your favorite album. It's with my favorite.
Speaker 1: Album, Breakfast in America by super Trap. You were looking ahead on the cheef sheet you stole the thunder, So Breakfast in America one of your favorites.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want to share it with anyone. Well, no, I mean you got to share it something that's good. But yeah, it's probably one of my all time, if not the most. I mean it's right up there with like Elo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this album, Breakfast in America had the Logical Song and the long Way Home, Take the Long Way Home. It just it had a number of great songs. Breakfast in America itself was a great song, a lot of hits, especially for rock radio. On that one nineteen ninety, Gary Busey purchased one of Buddy Holly's guitars at an auction for almost almost a quarter of a million dollars two hundred and forty thousand dollars a nod to Buddy Holly's influence in Rock Right, big big deal for Gary Busey, and he played Buddy Holly, played Buddy Holly any movie. So not only did he get the guitar, but he actually got to play Buddy in a movie.
Speaker 2: I heard he use the money from the movie he made to buy the guitar.
Speaker 1: Oh, isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: I made that up?
Speaker 1: Un gullable really on this day in twenty sixteen, led Zeppelin long broken up. At the time, they were cleared for plagiarizing Stairway to Heaven from a song by a band named Spirit. They were really most well known for a song called I Got a Line on You, and there was a lawsuit about their song Stairway to Heaven and Spirit's Taurus. It's a high profile trial and it was upheld. They were clear to plagiarizing, upheld in twenty twenty on appeal by Spirit.
Speaker 2: So just recently that was that's crazy twenty Yeah, just to COVID time. What do you think about that?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: I mean, this isn't a little nitpicky it is.
Speaker 1: Listen, as a guy who plays some music occasionally, I think that it's easy to grab things and riffs and things that you like when you're at the Led Zeppelin level, When you're at the professional kind of level, it can get messy. And I think that by and large, if you can prove a pattern in terms of the chord progression and the way a song is strummed or individual notes, I mean, I don't know. I mean I get it. Listen. Sting it gets paid by Diddy like two thousand dollars a day. I don't know if he's still getting paid with Ditty in jail, but for the ripping off every breath you take, Diddy has to pay Sting two thousand dollars a day in perpetuity.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute. I have never heard that story.
Speaker 1: That's true story.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that story.
Speaker 1: I don't know Sting to Jesus day.
Speaker 3: Although I wonder if he donates that money because anything coming from.
Speaker 1: Did Yeah, I don't know. It's icky, right, there's an ick factor now with that. In nineteen sixty seven, the Monkeys TV show, they won an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series and they beat out Bewitched and get Smart. You know the Monkeys? Are you fan of the Monkeys music?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Toward Last Training to the Clarksville and like cheer up, Sleepy Jean, and.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean I love the Monkeys? Are you kidding me? I wanted to marry Davy Jones.
Speaker 1: You and you're wearing Mickey Dolans's pork by hat today. No one can see it.
Speaker 2: He's the last remaining monkey.
Speaker 1: He is, He's it, Okay, I did not realize that. Well the Monkeys. I will tell you a little musical fact about the Monkeys. The Monkeys musically were very underrated, and when you look at things like Last Train to clarks Field is a great example. You can look up Louis Shelton, who played in the band the Wrecking Crew. They were part of the band that backed up a lot of these bands in the sixties. Musically, the Monkeys were really, really great. They didn't play I mean they played their own instruments when they went on tour, but when they recorded The Wrecking Crew guys were backing them, backing them up, and they they wrote those riffs. So interesting story about the Monkeys. Let's see what else we got here? In nineteen eighty four, Buzz and I are both Springsteen fans. Born in the USA debuted at number nine in the USA, and that really in nineteen eighty four launched Bruce's career. Up to that point, Bruce had had really good rock recognition, but in nineteen eighty four, Born in the USA just sent him out into the ether.
Speaker 2: Now was it really Born in the USA?
Speaker 3: Or was it because he grabbed that beautiful woman in the music video in nineteen eighty four onto the stage with him?
Speaker 1: The beautiful woman that he grabbed on stage in the video for Dancing in the Dark was who?
Speaker 2: Oh? That was dancing in the dark. See, I'm arch dark.
Speaker 1: It's okay, But who was that?
Speaker 2: Who are you asking me? I'm just like a quiz. You're gonna give you away money that somebody listening.
Speaker 1: You're sitting across me in Mickey Dolans's hat. Tell me who Bruce Springsteen drags in the video in Dancing in the Dark. Who was it? She's famous?
Speaker 2: We're just Courtney Cox from Friends.
Speaker 1: There you go. I could see I could see the smoke coming out of your ears when you were trying to think about that but yeah, Courtney Cox and dancing in the dark and no You're not No, No. The thing about Born in the USA is a lot of people think it's a patriotic song. If you go see him in concert, you see people waving their fists, holding up the flags, and there's this patriotic feel to Born in the USA. But the song Born in the USA, if you listen to the lyrics, is about how a Vietnam veteran is treated when he came home, or was treated when he came home. And it's a sad It's about as anti American as a song can get. Yet everyone has co opted into.
Speaker 2: A anthem for the USA.
Speaker 1: An anthem for the USA. Yeah, anthem of the USA. Let's go to June twenty fifth. We talked Buzz and I about All You Need Is Love a couple of times, and I know we've got another conversation coming up next week on this on this very song, but All You Need is Love, which is a monster of an anthem. It was played live on something called Our World Global Global TV broadcast. It was a big moment in sixties counterculture. This song was, you know, about as anti war and pro piece as you can get you know, think about the words. All you need is love, That's.
Speaker 2: All you need. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering if I'm giving you the love that Buzz usually gives you on the shows like am I am I doing his part justice?
Speaker 1: Well, it's well, you know what it is, because there's no one here to pick on me. You didn't call me like music Maven or music God, or tease me or throw any of those shots.
Speaker 2: I can if you want, I mean all in good spirit.
Speaker 1: I can't throw any age insults back to you, which is generally my that's my act with that's my thing with bus. No, that's not that's impossible. Yeah, but you're a great co host and I appreciate that well. Thanks. In nineteen eighty four, the woman who would become Bruce Springsteen's wife joined the East Street Band on this day, just before the tour kicked off. Patti Skialfa is her name. He met her at a at a little bar called the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey, made famous really by Bruce. A lot of the Jersey Shore guys played there. But that's where Bruce and Patty met in the back bar there. I saw him talk about it on a CBS special one day and it's kind of a sweet little story and they're married, continue to be married for quite some time at this point. Three beautiful kids. So two thousand and nine, Michael Jackson passed away at fifty. This was a loss that was enormous to the music world. It was also a time and I want to be careful how I how I talk about this that the you know, the the creep or the ick factor was alive and well Michaels because of the you know, the kids and the ranch, and it's you know, it's a shame because his music. You know, I've got this, you understand this about me. I've got this soft spot for pop, always have and and loved his music. But that creep factor I think hurt him for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was clear that he had his issues and whatever the demons were that he was fighting. But the sad part is is that he's not here to defend himself.
Speaker 2: A and H. B.
Speaker 3: As someone who's worked with documentary films that you know, you can really skew whatever feeling you want in those to try to make it something seem one way or another. Song always really skeptical when I see things which I saw on it, I mean, like to ban the songs and or not. You know, we don't really know. There's not been any trial, there's been no evidence presented. It's all just hearsay an opinion.
Speaker 1: I think banning of the music is over right at this point. I mean we still hear it again. But there was that period of time that people were.
Speaker 2: It was theyck factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well they're working to play his music right, interesting story there at anyway. And I have a friend at some point if we ever get into the true crime business here at Buzznight Media, I have a friend who worked the Conrad Murray story. And Conrad Murray was the doctor who injected Michael with propofaal best friend of mine who worked at I won't say what brands, but worked in law enforcement. He carried what they call an iron key around his neck, and that is a little USB thumb drive and you only get ten shots to unlock it. And if you miss the past, like if he were to lose that hard drive someone tried to hack it, it automatically destructs. And the thought with that iron the thought with the iron key was if you bought one. You got yourself on a list. I remember saying. When I saw it, I thought, oh, that's really cool. I'm going to buy one. He said, don't buy it from them, You'll end up on a list. Go to Amazon.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, right, that's crazy cool, kind of.
Speaker 1: A cool story. June twenty sixth, nineteen sixty four, the Stones released their debut album in the US. This kicked off their invasion on the American rock scene. And in that day, Lynn, there were a couple camps of people. There were the Stones people and there were the Beatles people. I was in both camps. Did you have a favorite when you were growing up? Did you enjoy this kind of music or were you more listening to pop when you were young.
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say that my first decade on the planet was in the best decade for music, which is the seventies. And I only say this because when I look back, those are the years that the bands got in the studios with each other and played together and there was like no better sound than when you know, everyone was in a room looking at each other, vibing, you.
Speaker 1: Know, playing live.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then eighties, of course, you know, it went through the disco, and then in the eighties pop and all you know, MTV. Right, So so I'd have to say probably lean more towards the Beatles.
Speaker 2: I know that sounds weird because they were No it doesn't earlier, but no, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: It seemed like everybody in the seventies and eighties were inspired by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In nineteen seventy seven, on this date, the twenty sixth, Elvis played his last concert in Indianapolis. This was this was about a month, a little less than a month before his death. He died in August in nineteen seventy seven. And this was this was bad Elvis. This was jumpsuit, pork chop, sideburns, a lot of pharmaceuticals, a lot of a lot of ick. Speaking of ick, there's a lot of ick with fat, with fat Elvis.
Speaker 3: Whenever I close my eyes, I always see him though, in that black leather outfit from sixty eight.
Speaker 1: We're going to talk about We're going to talk about the sixty eight special in a minute, because it's coming up, the anniversary of that's coming up. Wow, And and that's listen, that's the good look in Elvis. Yeah, you know, even even as a heterosexual guy. I can look at that and go man, Elvis is a hot piece of even sweaty Elvis.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So in eighty nine, bon Jovi, his New Jersey tour actually ended up in Moscow, and this was really something that that solidified their global dominance. I I was never a huge bon Jovi fan. I appreciate him. I think he's a there's you know, arguably he's a great guy and he's kind to everyone that to meet him. Were you a bon Jovi? Are you a bonjo Yeah?
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, is that even a question.
Speaker 1: It's not, it's not.
Speaker 2: It was the hair and all the hair, and.
Speaker 1: He's still a good looking guy. I just saw a video of him at a wedding some years ago where you know, the wedding band is playing Living on a Prayer and they walk up to him as they're singing his song and he's like, give me the microphone and he goes up on stage to sing it.
Speaker 2: Good good sport, Yes, definitely a good sport.
Speaker 3: I've interviewed him quite a few times and always always willing.
Speaker 1: To be a good guy and a handsome fellow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nineteen sixty eight June twenty seventh is the next day. And here's where we come in to play with this conversation about the comeback special, the sixty eight comeback special for Elvis, the leather suit in Burbank, in front of a TV audience. What we see on television is not the way it happened, you know, because you've done television for a long time. There's a lot of takes and retakes, and there's a lot of downtime in television. Why is that? Why is there so much it's called.
Speaker 2: Hurry up and wait?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, just just so many moving parts and the audience Usually when you're taping something like that, the audience is part of the show. Although they think they're there to watch the show, they really are, like they're working as much as everyone on the sets.
Speaker 1: Because they're being directed in the sense, went to applaud, how to behave, how to respond, Yeah, all of that. It gets taped in Burbank, and this leads to a huge comeback for Elvis. And sadly nine years later was you know, was when he died. But he looked good in sixty eight, skinny in his leather suit, in that red guitar.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and if you catch the reinventing Elvis doc it is. It's done by the guy who was in charge at CBS at the time, so he tells the whole story and it's just unbelievable, Like he was cut.
Speaker 2: Off from Elvis, couldn't talk to him because of.
Speaker 1: I watched it and I was just blown away by by.
Speaker 3: It, right, and all the people who were at that stage when they were filming it, you know, cut to today they tell the story of being there and it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty amazing to see him. Yeah, see him now. The Almond Brothers did a series of a legendary run of concerts at the film More East and West over the years, and it was on this date in nineteen seventy one that they closed the film More East. Almond Brothers played that final show and a big.
Speaker 2: Deal there, big deal, big deal.
Speaker 3: One of my most favorite time spent working ever was getting to work with him.
Speaker 1: To Greg Almond, Yeah, oh no, will tell me what.
Speaker 2: It was huge. It was so big.
Speaker 3: I was working at A and E at the time, and it was so big that he came in. It was after he had had like he had livered transplant.
Speaker 1: You know, he liked his booze.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but he came in like just a few months after that, which was amazing. But at the time on A and E, the big show was Dog the Bounty Hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he happened.
Speaker 3: To be at the studio that day, so him and his wife then when she was still alive, and they were waiting in my dressing room for Greg to finish, because we would have them do the songs first in the studio and then I would go in and reset and we'd do the interview.
Speaker 2: And he just wanted to meet him so bad, like he didn't he wanted to meet No dog, Dog wanted to meet Greg.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah. It was like yeah, big deal.
Speaker 2: Lyne down the hall, you know it was. It was pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had a little brush with Greg once and I felt the same way. I thought, I need to meet, I need.
Speaker 2: To meet And what a sweet sweet.
Speaker 1: Man I did. I wasn't able to get close to her. I was backstage. It was everything. I just couldn't. He was hurried buy me so but I'm sure the interview was great, right, you enjoyed it?
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, best best ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was.
Speaker 2: I was one of the ones where I was really nervous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. June twenty ninth, Mick Jagger Keith Richard's were arrested and found guilty on drug charges in London. I didn't research this completely, but I believe these charges are all related to marijuana.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, Well, during the police raid at Keith richards.
Speaker 2: London mansion, I guess it was his home.
Speaker 3: They were illegally possessing four tablets containing amphetamine sulfate and methyl and fetamine hydrochloride. Keith Richard's charge with allowing his house to be used for the purpose of smoking cannabis.
Speaker 2: Jagger and Richards put not guilty.
Speaker 3: But outside the court a crowd of young fans were waiting to see the stars. But two of the men were driven away into chauffeurd car into the back of the building, and a third man was a charge with possession of heroin. So maybe it was the drug dealers outside.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh. So here's the thing. They weren't really arrested for the cannabis. There was meth, some sort of methane family some speed they were doing. There was more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they were working all hours of the day and night trying to get music downe.
Speaker 1: Are you making excuses for the use of the amphetamine for the upper Well.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing I think the thing of at the time was is they weren't a private residence, so like, how do you go barge into someone's home and say you can't do that?
Speaker 2: Like that?
Speaker 1: That was a constitutional issue for you, isn't it. You're like like a cute version of Alan Levin.
Speaker 2: I want to go that far.
Speaker 1: In nineteen sixty eight, Pink Floyd did the first free concert at Hyde Park in London. This was a big deal for Pink Floyd, a big deal for their fans, and a monster event in London's Hyph Park. First free concert, Hi Park. Were you are you? Pink Floyd fan?
Speaker 2: Huge?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Love, comfortably numb, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The first time I saw the Wall was I was eighteen and I was at my friend's bar in Roanoak, Virginia, and they made me a Long Island iced tea and I had never I thought it was just a regular iced tea.
Speaker 2: I didn't know.
Speaker 3: And he handed it to me and said good night, And I watched the Wall and yeah.
Speaker 1: The Long Island iced He is a giant trick. You know, it's as you know, it's five shots or six shots. It was ugly here you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I woke up on my head was on the bar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I managed to stay up for the whole movie.
Speaker 2: For the wall, they tell me.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right. In nineteen seventy four, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and the Eagles played at Wemley and this was a monster folk rock kind of event in London. The folk rock took over London for that event. It was very well attended and you know a handful of people that are very well recognized even to this day for their contributions to folk and that kind of rock.
Speaker 3: So I feel like Buzz would have a lot more to speak of on this matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, we're both fans of and we talked about this in depth. Were both fans of the Eagles, were both big Neil Young fans. I'm a monster Neil Young fan. With Neil Young, I didn't appreciate him until I got older. I might have just I might have been in my fifties. It might have been like last eight nine years.
Speaker 3: It was the port chop sideburns, right. It was like the only other artists who could wear them.
Speaker 1: It's it's very funny because you and I had this discussion with Buzz the other day, we're trying to figure out people with pork chop sideburns, and Buzz did say Neil Young for it, and it's true, We'll take Neil Young for the win. But just you know, a bunch of amazing and wonderful songs that he's written, and I think, I just think the guy's got the voice of an angel. So and Joni Mitchell Court and Spark is one of my favorite albums of all times. So all three of those bands, Eagles, Neil Young and his band, and Joni Mitchell, I just I adore all them. So that was it favor.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite Eagle song?
Speaker 1: You know, I think I want to say now And it wasn't this way always because we played it so much on the radio. But I have a tremendous appreciation for Hotel California. Oh it's just epic. I love the opening acoustic guitar. I love the guitar solo at the end of it. But there are you know, pretty Maids in a Row, which is kind of an obscure song. I just adore Life in the fast Lane again being a guitar geek, like I watched Joe Waltsh talk to Paul Schaeffer about how he came up with the opening for Life in the fast Lane, and he said it was a warm up exercise he used to do backstage before concerts, and someone heard it, someone from the band, Glenn Frye or someone heard it and said we're going to do something with that, and then the next thing, you know, it's Life in the fast Lane. So I've got a bunch of favorites. What about you.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say it was a Hotel California, hands down, But then New York Minute really, oh, one of my.
Speaker 1: All time all time and that's Henley their rendition, their rendition of of of New York Minute, Henley's song is so Good from Hell Freezes Over or one of the live albums.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, yeah, it was definitely live.
Speaker 1: You know. I just the Eagles are a band. It's came on in the kitchen the other night, didn't like Peaceful, Easy Feeling or Tequila Sunrise while we were all cooking dinner and hanging out or watching you cook in the kitchen. But one of the one of those songs came on, and and and two of the three people in the room went, oh my god, this song yeah, like it's that's great.
Speaker 2: So stands the testa teme.
Speaker 1: It does. And and Linn Hoffman, I want to thank you for sitting in for your sitting Think you sat in for me because Buzz would normally be leading the parade, or you sat in for Buzz who'd be sitting in for me. Either way, you're here, Buzz is not and you did a fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Harry Jacobs. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to tune in if you like our podcast, tune in to Music Save Me and Comedy Save Me. Lynn Hoffman hosts both of them, both of those shows on the Buzz Night Media Network.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Yeah, we're one big, happy family, all right.
Speaker 1: Anything you want to promote any upcoming episodes before I let you go, anything coming up?
Speaker 3: My goodness on Comedy Saved Me, we have coming up Craig Shoemaker, Brett Ernst tom bergeron lots of stuff.
Speaker 1: There's good stuff coming up. Yeah, so I appreciate that. And Shoemaker's funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, one of the funniest ever.
Speaker 1: He's got a funny exercise that he has people. Do you guys are gonna do it right?
Speaker 2: Yes? We are okay, We're gonna have some fun.
Speaker 1: It'll make you left comedy save me part of the buzz Night media network right here on Ihearten anywhere you get your podcast. Thank you, n