Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done.
Speaker 2: Yay, that's messed up. An SVU podcast. This is number two eighty two two eight two uh pumps to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm Lisa Trigger and I'm Kara Klank And as you know, every week it's SVU recaps, it's true crime, deep dives. It's interviews with cool celebs, interesting people.
Speaker 4: Except not this one. No celebris in this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just get to talk more, which is yeah, No one today, No one today.
Speaker 2: But guess what I found. I found my new person for two weeks. So get ready, guys. Oh there's a change.
Speaker 4: There's not a change. It's not a change. The new you know O'Connor story.
Speaker 2: Tiffany's little video came out today, like I'm still invested, but lost Boys the musical, Oh my fucking mind. And then I came home, bought the movie immediately, only watched half of it because I'm reading Yesteryear. I had to get back to my book. I'm going to finish it today. But I am in.
Speaker 4: I never understood the key for Sutherland Pandemonium. I do now. I mean, I like, I fucking loved this musical.
Speaker 2: If you like this movie I've never you should go to see it.
Speaker 4: It was incredible.
Speaker 1: No, it's funny because you sat you mentioned it, yeah at another point that you were going to see it, and I was like, oh, I haven't heard of that. I mean I've heard of obviously. The movie The Lost Boys. I didn't know was the musical.
Speaker 4: I hadn't.
Speaker 2: I thought I was seeing The Outsiders when she when I got the text, I went, oh, the Outsiders, all right, like in my head, I didn't even know the Lost Boys. Then I see all these gothic people in line, and I go, what's going on? And then I realized it's vampires. And then the people I was with because I got her a last minute invite, they're like suspension artists that like hang from their knees and necks and like blood, so they're like blood enthusiasts. The girl I was with, she was wearing like bloody healed shoes like ever, like there's a lot of goth energy happening. Okay, So then I realized, oh, okay, vampires.
Speaker 4: Nice. Interesting.
Speaker 1: Well then I I I as soon as you mentioned it, of course, like on my Instagram, like yesterday was somebody being like the new hot musical is Lost Bowl, I mean like you know, and then the other one they were talking about, but.
Speaker 2: It was up a plus like a Shoshana Bean I mean every vocally Superstars.
Speaker 1: Oh it's Joshana Bean hash she has with John Hill. Oh oh my god, I should text him because she nailed it. Not that she eats Joe needs to know that, she's like a legend, but vocally everyone was like incredible. But the set, there's no way it's not winning every fucking Tony Award.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was, really I was.
Speaker 1: It's like one of the most already nominated for all these awards, like I know, maybe not Tony but other awards.
Speaker 2: The set was unbelievable, and then the effects, the effects, and then watching the movie, I go the house looked exactly like that.
Speaker 4: And then they really up the gay.
Speaker 2: I guess the whole thing is like the younger brother's gay, but no one really talks, you know whatever, so they like up to the gay.
Speaker 4: It was fun. It was funny.
Speaker 2: People were laughing and then I talked to the people that loved the movie, and like they were telling me the lines from the movie that we're exciting, but like people are flying through the air. It is they're on motorcycles. It is like breath to I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it. I mean, this movie came out the year you were born. Yeah, and the guy from Big Business, what a huge year for him?
Speaker 4: Eighty seven? Bam bam. What's his name? Graham? But like, what's his real name?
Speaker 3: Edward?
Speaker 4: You know, you know who I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: He's the video store guy, Edward Herman, Edward Herman Google.
Speaker 4: You know his face, yes, but you know his face.
Speaker 2: He's the dead and Gilmore girls. She doesn't watch Gilmore girls, don't. I'm not a Gilmore Big Business girl and over Moore. But he's like the rich guy. And I see his face. Of course I know exactly who this is. Yeah, he's a face guy.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 1: I just yeah, Like somebody said the other day, the name of Tom from Succession, and I go who, And then I was I was like, oh, of course, Like that man is very famous to me in my mind.
Speaker 4: I just don't know his real name. But this guy, Oh, Big Business is eighty eight My bad, but I mean it has over Cory's the movie.
Speaker 2: It has Jamie Gertz, who is famously squear A Speare Spara Square.
Speaker 4: She's sibut saras Square.
Speaker 2: I started watching the movie at home. I'm like, this is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life, Like, where has she been?
Speaker 4: He was going so big?
Speaker 1: So I go gol terr immediately, And I've read all these articles about how she quit acting because I think she married a multi millionaire. Oh okay, and I think she uses the money for good. I think she's very She's going very Mackenzie Mackenzie bezos with it, Sonnang.
Speaker 2: I loved the fact and they they just made it an event like lights Neon sign, like the intro. They just fucking nailed it. It was awesome. I'm like so pumped. And then you guys, stay tuned. I got an invite to the Hugh Jackman show with Annette Bennings daughter that we were told to see. I got an invite to the party as well, So stay tuned for that theater corner. Okay, And I said, kind of sodronicus, so bloody.
Speaker 4: I didn't know Shakespeare was a fucking freak. I don't know. I've never seen I've never even heard of it. I love that. I'm going.
Speaker 2: I also went to see Waxahatchie at Brooklyn Paramount with some guy named MJ.
Speaker 4: Casey.
Speaker 2: Just lost his mind that I saw them together at Brooklyn Paramount. People were like, did you go in blind? I go, yeah, if I'm invited, I'm going, I'm fucking going. It was awesome. But I've never been to a concert where people are like sitting politely and like came to sit and people were just so calm. And I've never been to a concert where Katie from Waxahatchie she came on to sing a song with the open in her and then went back out and then did her headlining set, and I'm like, that's a cool, bitch.
Speaker 4: No one's ever done that, no.
Speaker 1: Opened for I saw her open for like it was like Ryl o' kylie or Brandy, Brandy makes sense. And then she came out and sang a song with them, Yeah, yeah, whoever it was, And I forgot and I feel bad, but that's so coo cool.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess yeah, I've really been like supporting the arts on My Stay in New York City and Tday Your Life. But Patronicus, my friend from Survival of the Thickest, played lucious dude. There's sexual assault, there's murder, people are hanging upside down getting bled out like there's supposed to be. There's nubs, there's like decapitations, there's heads and bags, and I'm like, this is Shakespeare's first play.
Speaker 1: I go, you really want to make a splash? He was like, I'm not Romeo and Juliet, bullshit. I gotta really make him make a pay attention.
Speaker 2: Who knew this? Like romantic kind of funny guy. I know he does track and like all that, but like this show is so But.
Speaker 1: Even the tragedies that you know, like Hamlet and stuff, are like sad, but I don't consider them to be like super super bloody and nasty.
Speaker 2: No, isn't that Macbeth called the Bloody Play or something? The blood Yeah something, I mean maybe, But.
Speaker 4: Like I don't think.
Speaker 1: I don't think of Macbeth like I've seen many iterations of it. I've seen it live, I've seen the movie. I don't remember being like you. But Patrick Page is in it. Who's the man who's Hades Town.
Speaker 2: He's Hades Oh the deep voice and he's in an SVU.
Speaker 4: But like he took his shirt off. He looked good. He's like, it's too fun, look good.
Speaker 2: And another wait, we just covered this episode Eden hold on, there was s V Royalty from like five episodes. I can't believe. Oh my god, I'm like, I'm overwhelmed right now. The art is overwhelming. Me Enid Graham, Enid Graham, E N I D and then Graham.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, she's oh, she's like, she's yeah, she's in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: She's Sarah Hyland's mom in Hot House.
Speaker 1: Yes, she is, absolutely, she's a character actress, this lady.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then also and then and then there was an a hot guy and he was in a season twenty ish episode, Jesse Aaronson. He was really hot and he's an s vulm. So there's two s VIEWLM dang well three Patrick Page.
Speaker 1: Yes, lady has been in a lot of stuff though that I've seen as Mayor of Easttown, Mayor of Easttown, which tangentially, I'm watching a show called Task right now that has Mark Ruffalo. That's also very mayor of Easttown, like coded, and I'm enjoying it. While you have been taking a patron of the arts, been a patron of the arts, I too have been patronizing the arts here in Los Angeles. And I did attend the show Fat Slut here in Los Angeles. Does that mean it's Meatball's monthly show at Precinct, which I've always wanted to go to Precinct, but Trixie and Katia always got me scared because they were always talking about how hot and like body to body impact it is. And I was always like, I can't just like swing by Precinct. So the stars aligned.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: First, I meet up with some friends to watch the finale at a friend's house.
Speaker 4: I loved the finale.
Speaker 1: Let me just tell you the way that our friend Nicole had me convinced, so spoiler alert if you haven't watched the season eighteen finale yet of drag Race, and if you want all of our drag Race opinions, we talked about them on our Patreon last week. But she had me convinced it was gonna be Niny Coco. I was like, it's got to be Mikey. Mikey's been slaying like the whole time, and she was like, no, no.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's gonna be Was she fucking with you on purpose?
Speaker 1: No, she was really convinced that she was really convinced that it doesn't really matter anymore to win drag Race, and that they want people for All Stars and that they would keep like that they want Jane for All Stars and that they want Mikey for All Stars or whatever, and that it was going to be Nini. And I was like, oh, that's an interesting take, and then of course they said my.
Speaker 2: And I was like, yeah, that's what I thought. Why did I doubt myself? But I think it's Beauzannini's performance was so good. Yes, it was because I watched the pit Stop and Bob said that that was the top finale performance of all time and that that was vm A level dancing and choreo and stuff. And do I have my own opinions? No, I'm gonna hop on Bob's. I'm taking Bob's. But then is like, who's your favorite pit stop host to Bob and it's like, well, it's not you Bianca about that?
Speaker 1: Well, so then we're watching the show's ending and we're like just getting ready to like leave for precinct and the credits are running and she goes, wait, Carol, She goes, are you is your did I just see your name in the credits?
Speaker 4: And I go, what are you even talking about?
Speaker 1: When my name was definitely in the credits, I had to like stop and watch it and like be ready with a remote to pause it. Like the credits go by so fast and like they're basically I was like, there's no way, why would my name be in the credits. And then we rewound it and her eyes don't my name was in the fucking credits.
Speaker 4: I truly have no idea why. I I guess I worked.
Speaker 1: On the butter Churning Challenge like a year and a half ago, but what ended up being on the show was like kind of really not a lot of what.
Speaker 4: I make sure you go update your IMDb.
Speaker 1: I know, Well, I just looked at my IMDb and I have full credit for Randomly, I was looking at my IMDb and I have full credit for the Winner season of All Stars, which, yeah, like I wrote one challenge. I don't really did know I was gonna get credit for the whole season, but anyway, so that was wild so then we go to Precynct and Fat Slut is like, by the way, if you live in Los Angeles and you really want to go to just a wild night of entertainment, Meatball is so funny. But this show is unfucking hinged, Like it's the craziest thing I've ever been to. Essentially, there's a lot of food based performance, but there were there were famous drag queens that came out like it was the weekend of Coachella. So a last go was there? I did Alaska did this whole justin Bieber number Dtox was there?
Speaker 4: Wow, Oh my god, I saw your photos. It's all coming back to me. Wow, Yeah I saw the Detox.
Speaker 2: This oh Detox, the person I spent fifty dollars to meet in line.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Obebe for me, Obabe, it gets better, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 1: So like because there with Drag Race Royalty too, like Nicole is such a super yes and like Nicole yeah, and Nicole's been a judge on the show, so like, but we're having fun. It's like not, it's actually like kind of the perfect amount of crowded, Like it feels like good, like you're with the people. But I didn't feel like I was crushed or anything. It was pretty easy to get. During Detox's performance, she did like I didn't know the song, but it was just like really sexy. She was like smoking a cigarette on stage and like at one point it went out and she just kind of like tapped it on her tongue.
Speaker 4: Like it was like she just was like killing it and I love her.
Speaker 1: And and Alaska had like a reveal she was in like a big puffy coat and then like took it up, was wearing like a hot barbie, like very tight and everything.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: Then they get people from the audience to basically have like intercourse with food. Like one of our friends went up and won the contest and they were chanting shrimp pussy at her.
Speaker 4: So I'm just gonna let you guys know what happened.
Speaker 2: Wait, so what do you mean? Sex performances with food? Is their penetration like a hot dog in a butt?
Speaker 4: What is it? Yes?
Speaker 1: So the food comes out and it is all food that is like jellied like in like a mold. So there was like hot dogs, there was shrimp, there was sausages, a lot of stuff that conveniently fits into orifices and it's baked into this like jello mold, and it's like mostly guys. But then our girlfriend got up and did it, and of course she won because she was wild. But the guys, if they went up and just like danced with it, the audience started chanting hatred at them, like if they did not put something like in their butts or mouths, like people.
Speaker 4: Were like, you're not worth it. Like, I mean, it didn't.
Speaker 1: Feel like the kind of thing that was like predatory. It was like really funny and fun spirited, and like everybody was having a really fun time with it, and some and some people that went up didn't feel comfortable doing that, and some people felt very comfortable doing that.
Speaker 2: Wow, And if you don't feel comfortable, it's fine, but you will get booed.
Speaker 1: And I think, yeah, okay, yeah, this is like fat slut, Like they didn't come up here to watch you tap dance, you know, like this is like what the show.
Speaker 4: Is, so yeah, you need a fuck a food. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was so funny, I mean, like fun There were like poppers going around.
Speaker 4: It was wild.
Speaker 1: And then we went backstage and we were hanging out and meet Ball listens to our podh My our pod. So he was like, Oh my gosh, it's so fun to have you here. I feel like I listened to all the time. I was like, this is crazy. I'm so like, this is so fun to be here. And then I got to chat with Detox for like forty five minutes. I mean, I hung out with her for so long. So Detox lives like around Chicago. It comes to La all the time to perform. And I won't say like what verb she lives in, but she said that she lived in the chocol suburbs, and I go, oh my god, you know who else?
Speaker 5: Does?
Speaker 4: Do you remember when?
Speaker 1: Do you remember at DragCon when my friend like bought a fanny pack so that we could meet you. But then like you recognized her and she was like, oh my god, yes she I was like that's Lisa, like whatever. So I was telling her about you and then we just like chatted.
Speaker 2: Well. I also bought a crop top shirt that says litigious, and I do wear it often.
Speaker 4: That's a really good crop top.
Speaker 2: It is because it's long sleeve, thin with a hood and it's just a great.
Speaker 4: Fucking wet I'll see your ass like.
Speaker 1: It's so litigious is like one of maybe one of my favorite words, like it's such a good word. But anyway, it was just like such a I got home at four in the morning. I have two kids, Like I don't know, I don't know. It was like crazy. It was his morning to wake up with the kids. So I was like, you know, it's fine, like and I like, I wasn't even like drinking for most of it. I was just like, have a fun time. And I just was so pumped. I got to hang out with Dee talks and I love her. And I did talk to Alaska very briefly, and I as and I showed her a picture of her with Rosie when Rosie is six weeks old.
Speaker 4: And she was like, work, I'm likescute.
Speaker 1: So it was a really fun but if you live in the LA area and you like drag, there were also like a lot of really fun like go go dancers that were men and women.
Speaker 4: There were like really fun acts and then they.
Speaker 1: Get beat me Ball gets these fucking like.
Speaker 4: Legends to come on.
Speaker 1: So it's like a great great I get why people love Precinct. It's like really fun like rock and roll, like vibes for a drag bar, you know, it's not like we ho as cutey as we ho.
Speaker 4: You know, it's like dirty back. I loved it. Yeah, yes, but it was so fun fun. Oh my god, tucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a last You know, it's so hard to pick your favorite queen because they're all just so good. I just am lucky that I get to say Katya because of the Russian connection. And then I, you know, people just have to accept it, not that anyone cares. Yeah, I'm having a fight with my own self. No, I have one late night, but it was an accident. This always happens to you, and I think it's gonna be one spot. And then I did walk home at about six in the morning, which is my favorite time of kay, the sun's not out, and I was alone in Washington Score Park.
Speaker 4: I was alone.
Speaker 2: Wow, I was the only person on a Sunday at six am and Washington Square Park. I was circling like I was in a zombie movie. But honestly, zombies didn't even cross my mind because I just was. I couldn't believe that I got to be there.
Speaker 1: Listen, don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't be by yourself and find alone time in New York.
Speaker 4: You obviously can't well.
Speaker 2: And then I was spinning around taking videos of myself and a guy did walk and I go, I've never seen the park like this.
Speaker 4: And he got it. He got it. But then I realized, I do you lady.
Speaker 2: Then I realized, like some people do wake up at six, like I was like making videos for instag I'm like, you guys won't believe this.
Speaker 4: And then it's like, no people do jog, you know, yeah, there were no fitness freaks out at like five point thirty. People are running on the streets.
Speaker 2: I just happened because I didn't even realize the park would be open like that. Usually when I walk home from the cellar, the park is closed, skated up, so like, I didn't even anticipate it being open. So when I saw it was open, I like shrieked. I think, like I couldn't even believe it. I didn't realize that's great, that's way cool, because yeah, my favorite thing happened.
Speaker 4: The bartenders let us stay while they closed. So love that. It's always the funnest did you see?
Speaker 1: So obviously we have to comment on the OC has been canceled. And I watched the video the several regulars from the OC that we've had on the podcast. And but Chris Maloney did this like tearful tank top monologue where his the angles really weird, like his chest is taken and he has young daughters.
Speaker 4: They could have helped him. Yeah, it's really weird.
Speaker 1: It was like he left the phone just like sliding, like leaned up against a protein shake or something.
Speaker 2: I watch it, though, I mean I think he felt it. I'm someone that does random postings like you. You know, he probably found out or I don't know. Yeah, it's a lot of jobs lost. Listen a trial by Jury LA. That shit all lasted one season.
Speaker 1: People did like O see it lasted for five years, but the reality is like that show probably would have gone gone for a lot longer if it had started fifteen years earlier. TV is just like fucking tough these days, you know.
Speaker 4: So I feel for him. But then they also announced it.
Speaker 1: I think he's already on a new show where he's playing a football coach. It's set in the NFL. It's like a show set about the NFL called The Land. So he's gonna work. He's gonna be fine. But I think and it's also like the way he's acting like this is the death of Elliott Stabler is kind of crazy. It's like you're obviously gonna come back and pop into SVU like in the finale. Yeah, like back babe. Like one comment was, Wow, they killed Kathy for nothing. I was like, oh my god, that's so fucked. But the other thing that's happening in the sv universe this week is obviously it keeps going viral like over and over again. Is this screenshot of a still from season two, Season one, episode two, A Single Life, which we covered in February of last year, where they're getting up to go do something and you can see a binder on Benson's desk that says Epstein on the spine and people are people.
Speaker 2: Keep sending me and I go, have we not been saying it's ahead of its time? I know?
Speaker 4: Have we not been saying this was known?
Speaker 1: Like I don't look up the episode, yeah, I mean what episode was flight?
Speaker 2: Oh honey, I'm in the comments I've been telling people don't yeah, because people keep bringing up the other the two parter one and I go, no, guys, like this has been in it. Twenty eleven, twenty eleven, this episode came out, which means it probably shot in twenty ten, which means at least sixteen years this show has known about it. So, and that's pre Neil Bear too, like it is wild. It's season one, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yep, season one.
Speaker 1: So but I mean, do you think that's a that's a for real set dresser.
Speaker 2: And let's get him on. Let's get the EPR who show ran that show. Let's get him on. We gotta find Okay, we gotta figure it out. Let's get we've never it's just dig Wolf. We'll get Dick wolf in. I'm not gonna spill the beans. He has too much riding on it. We need it.
Speaker 4: Who show ran? Let's get this person on. Yeah. I think we're gonna get to the bottom of it.
Speaker 1: Guys, Yes, we have to get to the bottom of it. Oh that's a down to Noon written by Don de Noon. Okay, get anyway, Thank you to the Thank you to the dozens of people who have sent us that meme.
Speaker 2: Obviously, so, and there is an archive on Vulture, so you guys know, there's a cinematrix. They do a telemtrix. It updates every Monday and Thursday, so you would have missed it, but they do an archive and there is one that's Marishka Maloney iced tea harder than you'd think, very hard, and go to Wednesday April twenty seconds.
Speaker 4: They tell a matrix and that well you can play, so I have. I saw.
Speaker 2: So the categories are fifty plus episodes, so show with fifty plus episodes. The next one is three plus words in title, and then one is network TV. So I right now still have one blank for Marishka. I have one blank for each of them in different categories because I don't want to use. I don't want to use. One of them is three words three plus words in the title, and I'm like, I can only think of.
Speaker 4: Fucking Maloney shows that are one word besides I know, but then I thought of one. And you're going to feel silly when you don't think of it.
Speaker 2: But I think because it took me a while in my brain, okay, but then it hit me, and I think you personally, specifically, would be disappointed if you didn't think of this.
Speaker 4: Oh I know it.
Speaker 1: Thank you Thank you for that guest, thank you, thank you for that heavy hint which I got.
Speaker 5: It wasn't even that heavy, I know, it's not, but I know myself. Yeah, okay, all right, we should we sh star, but I do want to do a reading corner. I'm sorry, it has to happen. I could say, yeah, I could take anything healthy and turn it unhealthy. I have like fifteen books around my apartment. I'm like a fucking mad woman right now. But Pony Sweat was in Brooklyn. I don't know if I told you that, Yeah, you told me, you told me so.
Speaker 2: Julia and I went, but I had to wait for her and there was a bookstore right there, and she said it was like a really popular, cool bookstore. So I ended up buying some books and she told me to buy this. I wouldn't have looked at it and hardcovers are heavy, and thank god I did. I guess Anne Hathaway just bought the rights to it. So it's like the hip book right now. It's called Yesteryear. Oh yeah, oh my god. I am like so impressed. It's so cool, it's so biting, it is so smart. I'm obsessed and I've been sitting at parks again and bars and on the my stoop.
Speaker 4: I can't operating. I'm reading it every night.
Speaker 2: I'm writing this down, but I was about to say, I think you would like it and maybe we can talk about it on the Patreon because I don't want to do official book club stuff. But this is about a trad wife influencer, yes, who wakes up and it's eighteen fifty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes your year book, putting it in my notes on my phone, will purchase and.
Speaker 4: Thank god someone told me to get this. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't because you know, I'm still in my gay universe at the moment.
Speaker 4: But this is like.
Speaker 2: I am, like, I'm so impressed with this, and this is her first novel and I just think it's such biting satire. And I read it at the bar called Swift for Jonathan Swift, and that's that's the piece, Like his piece is like one of his things is how I learned satire in high school? Oh right, And so like I just couldn't believe I got to read this in that bar with a happy hourginis.
Speaker 4: But I don't know, I'm just blown a way. She really like, again.
Speaker 2: I'm new to reading, so it's like, I don't know if you can take me at my word of what.
Speaker 1: You're not just because you don't read all the time doesn't mean you're like, yeah, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm but Ashley Hamilton, who's like a book girl, she said she was like she didn't see certain things coming.
Speaker 4: And I'm not even very up but like, I'm gonna finish it, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna read it because I really need a reason to get into a book. I really need you're going to get into it right away. There are lines in there that I'm like, holy shit, it is like everything is so layered. It's like I can't even believe it. I really can't believe it.
Speaker 2: So I hope we can connect about it all right, all right, Casey, maybe you can get to it too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I'm finishing this by Sunday because I'm gonna give it to Marsha like I think I'm gonna because I want everyone to read it so then I can talk about it with all the girls, all my smart girls.
Speaker 4: Look at this. It's happening. That's really exciting.
Speaker 2: So I have a name drop well who took me to Waxahatchie and MJ was Caleb the night.
Speaker 4: That's what I assumed because he's like good friends with.
Speaker 2: Her, right with our best friends, and so like uh, that was the night before the Devil War's product premiere, so his outfit was on the chair.
Speaker 1: So I was like, Okay, did you see I mean you probably did, But like there's this one guy that I don't know who he is, but he looks like he's like a fashion influencer. And he dressed as Andy pre makeover, like the cerulean sweater and like a collared shirt at the premiere, but he wore pants.
Speaker 4: That kind of looked like her skirt.
Speaker 1: Like I'm like really loving what people are doing at that premiere.
Speaker 2: God, I mean, there's so much going on in the world we didn't even talk about, like Sabrina Carpenter and Madonna, Like I didn't even talk about Wes and Amanda at the Yankees game. I mean, the world is giving us a lot. There's a lot freaking happening. But listen.
Speaker 1: If you want more of us chatting, you can get that on our Patreon, which is Patreon dot slash.
Speaker 4: That's Messed Up.
Speaker 1: We have Martha Kelly SVU, super fan and Euphoria star and comedian. We love her, so tune into the patreon for that and also that's messed Up.
Speaker 4: Live dot Com has our merch link.
Speaker 1: We've got our Louise Louis Lewis Louise Lewis Lewis t shirt on sale and a couple of other things, so you can grab something over there for Mother's Day or whatever's coming up.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna be in Salt Lake City, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, La Joya, Peetown, Cleveland, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, join us in various other places besides here, and uh, let's get started. Got a great episode, all right? Today we are doing the episode Recall, Season eight, episode three. This came out in October of two thousand and six. I remember it, but this is another one that I've seen. But I was like the ending. I kind of needed reminders about the end it Like as it went on, I go, oh, yeah, that's what's gonna happen. Like there were points of it where I was like, how does this end?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had no idea what was happening until I saw one of the characters and then yeah, immediately what was happening? But well, yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of fun in it. But I keep thinking about total recall and then I realized I don't even know what Total Recall is. So then I googled it and I was like, oh, Sharon Stone, okay, Arnold Schwortznagger. I didn't know what this Total seen this, I don't know. I've seen it when I was a kid. I actually saw it a lot. There is a woman with three boobs in it, and that is obviously impressibly.
Speaker 4: I know about the three book. Yeah, I've heard of the three boob woman.
Speaker 1: And isn't there a scene Casey in a Total Recall where somebody can't breathe, like because like their helmet.
Speaker 4: Least is something.
Speaker 1: There's like somebody gets put into an area where there's no oxygen, And to me, it's like the most scary scene of like to me, what it would be like if you were in space and you couldn't breathe or something. It's like every somebody goes like nuts, they can't breathe. But that is they're on Mars or were are they? They're on like another yeah, the Virtual Vacation and Mar. Yeah, I don't remember the suffocating helmets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in that movie. It might be fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: You should watch it. It's crazy Total Recalls crazy.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I was having like thoughts about how I do have like dreams of being in action movies and doing cool stuff. And then I was thinking, if they did have to do a cast of my face, I would have to turn down the role. Like I don't think I could do a plaster of my face, Like I really don't think i'd be able to do it. Do you think about that? Would you be able to plaster your face? I think I could do it. I think I would be really uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: But I think if it was like you, we need this so that we can, you know, for the multimillion dollar role that you are in this movie, I think I would do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I'd have to go into full I don't know, i'd have to go to the guy that Jim Carrey used for or.
Speaker 1: Just like do it to me lying down like so I can just like fall asleep or something like.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I would try to like completely zone out and disassociate. Well, no, I know all the things I would try to do.
Speaker 2: I would also to do those things I don't think i'd be able to, Like I don't like just thinking about it right now, like just a straw, like just oh yeah for the breathing. Yeah, to the breathings all I'm thinking about. Okay, to we get started. So recall this is season eight, just to get everybody to rip the band aid off. It's a back season, Okay, everybody, it's a back episode.
Speaker 1: This woman, the way that she was only in six episodes and left such a like fucking impression on everybody is so well.
Speaker 2: She was making moves on Stabler, kissing around, breaking rules thinking she knows better, but she has trauma.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is her second episode, so we've only worked with her in one other episode, and I think it was like, I think it's like the Turner syndrome episode where like the girl looks really.
Speaker 4: Young but she's not or whatever.
Speaker 1: But yes, I think that, Yeah, I think that's the first one. And so we opened a night Sabler and Beck are in hot pursuit of a behoodied man and he's going for the river. They're duck in behind cars. It's action. Stabler stops back from getting hit by a bus and then ultimately they lose the guy. Stabler lets out this really frustrated growl. He's like rah, like he's mad, and then cut to CSU Tech Ryan o'healer and friend of the pod. Mike Doyle shows up goes heard you too ran a marathon and Beck's like yeah, and the purp one the crime scene is blocks away, but Stabler wants this guy to check for prints on the side of two cars that he saw the purp crouch down between them and he was not wearing gloves. So the uniform cop shows up and is like, yeah, the victims at the hospital, she's moving on her own steam. I had never heard that phrase before, so I did google it, and it means doing something independently without any help, moving on your own steam. I've never heard that before, So now you can bank that everybody into your.
Speaker 4: Idioms or whatever. I don't know where it comes who says it, but.
Speaker 1: And the cop says the rape kid is done. They're just checking for other injuries, and Beck is like, what did he do to her? And then we cut to that. I mean, it's like he did what most of you know. You've only been in this unit for like a week, so you're going to get more of these. We cut to the hospital curtain being pulled back to reveal Nicki, the victim, sitting there, and she looks really bad, like multiple facial lacerations, big black Eye. It's tough, like she's already been stitched up in a few places.
Speaker 4: And Nicki is played by Lily Robb, who I.
Speaker 1: Did sit next to at gymnastics one time, but did not find the right moment to bring up my SVU podcast. She has done all three franchises, and it seems like Criminal Intent and SVU were some of her first TV credits. She is like a regular in the American Horror Story Universe, and she has three children with Hamish link Later, who I saw do Shakespeare in the Park and she's done a ton of Shakespeare. They're like a theater power couple of these two. And he was in the episode of Manhattan Vigil where he like loses his son on the train because he's like sort of not paying attention. And what I didn't realize is that Lily Rob's mom is Jill Clayburg, who is kind of iconic and you might a lot of you might know her from being Kristen Wiggs's mom and Bridesmaids, and she actually she actually made that movie and then died before Bridessmaids came out. She passed away in twenty ten, so she died before that movie like got as big as it did. So I didn't know that Lily rob was like, you know, from this Nepo family and her dad is a playwright who wrote Hurley.
Speaker 4: Burley and like other well known plays.
Speaker 1: So Stabler and Beck introduced themselves to Nikki and she just immediately starts crying like why me, why did he do this to me? And Stabler's like, we're going to take care of you, and you know, Stabler immediately goes into like comforting mode, like we're gonna get you some clothes first, and Beck like still can't handle SPU, like she does not know how to talk to victims, and like that's gonna be made more apparent as we go. So at the precinct now after the credits, Munch is calling the place a dump. Well he's trying to find Nikiya ginger Ale and he's like, how bad is it? And Stabler starts going breaking it down in acronyms, going you know, M to P, P to V, and Beck needs help. She doesn't get it, and he's like, you know, mouth to penis, penis of vagina. I've never heard them describe an assault like that before or since.
Speaker 4: And I don't love it. It reminds me of like the way we used to talk in college about stuff.
Speaker 1: And Beck wants to know if they usually catch these guys, and Stabler goes, well, you know, most rapes, the victim knows their attacker. And then like when it comes to cereals, there were eleven in Manhattan last year. We caught seven of them to by accident with cold DNA hits on guys already in the system, so they're already you could tell they're going to start playing with the DNA of it all, Like this episode came out in two thousand and six. NA still it feels fresh, like a fresh technology, and they have to talk to Nicki while the details are still fresh in her mind. But Beck, you can feel, is kind of trying to get out of it. She's like, why don't I hit the computer and see if this guy's m O matches others in the system.
Speaker 4: So then we're talking.
Speaker 1: Nicki's talking to Stabler describing her attack, like this guy forced her to perform oral sex, slammed her against a wall, he assaulted her from behind, and then wiped her down with wet naps the kind that have alcohol in them, and finn Is telling Kragan, well, we didn't find anything at the crime scene, like none of the wet naps, no fluids, like nothing, and Nicki goes, he was older, like in his forties. She would maybe just witch rude. She could maybe describe him to an artist. But it was dark and she saw something on his hand. It was a scar. It looked like a capital L, but with the bottom line going the other way. So now Craigan is Stabler are talking, and Craigan's like, shut the door, which never good. It's usually not good when you're usually getting in trouble. But JK, it's just wants to talk shit about back and find out how she's doing. So Stabler's like, oh, she's doing great, Like I hear she's a real pro. And Craigan's like, maybe too much of a pro. I hear her CEO and warrants dumped her for being over zealous. Most warrant detectives bring in eight guys a month. She was bringing in twelve thirteen. And Stabler's like, yeah, okay, that sounds like talent to me. And Craigan argues like, yeah, roughing up civilians isn't talent, and Stabler's like, this is the first time anybody said that to Stabler. I guess the king of roughing up civilians. And Craigan just wants Stabler to keep an eye on Beck. So she knocks, of course, right at that moment, and comes in with a hit from O'Halleran that one of the prints on the Jaguar where the guy was crouching down hiding from them during the chase, belongs to a guy named Barry Cole thirty two. He did five years at Fishkill for a pushin robbery that became an assault, and Craigan's like, go get him.
Speaker 4: So in the car, Beck is using like.
Speaker 1: A Pom pilot okay, and it has maps on it, and Stabler is like, it's like he's looking at a Genie lamp. He can't believe what he's seeing. He's like, he goes, does the city pay for that? And she goes, no, I pay for it, and it's worth every penny, and she basically explains a smartphone to him. He goes, it's got email, my contacts, the internet, maps, you name it. You should get one, and Stabler's like no, he's obviously a luddite. He's like, no, my kids had to help me program speed dial on my cell phone, so just hilarious because speed dial is not even really a thing. And he asks her, He's like, what's that accent from European something? And she goes, I was born in Denmark. I came to the States after I got married, And I kind of wonder how she.
Speaker 4: Became a detective so quickly. But maybe it's like not that hard.
Speaker 1: But I was looking up Beck's background on the Wikipedia of the SVU Wikipedia and one of the trivia bits about her is. Fan reception towards Beck was largely negative, mostly due to Beck and Stabler's romantic tension compared to Benson and Stablers, as well as her character being what fans called a poor replacement to Benson. Nielsen later went on to say she would never return to SVU due to the poor reception towards her character.
Speaker 4: So we ruined this lady's life after.
Speaker 2: Six episodes now, but she at least knows that she's hated.
Speaker 1: Yeah for Beck, Yeah, because then I remember that last thing I saw. The next thing I saw Connie Nielsen in was Wonder Woman, where she plays like Wonder Woman's like mom or grandma or like in the woman the beautiful Amazonian tribe of women or whatever, and that was a pretty big role for her. But I don't know what else she's doing anyway, She tells the whole story. She met her American husband in Germany when he was stationed there she was studying. She asks about Benson, what happened with your partner? He tells her she got pulled in for an undercovered job. Oh, how long were you guys together? Seven years? How long were you in Warrens three and a half years? Just had enough, he asks. He's obviously fishing for information, and then she's like, oh, we're here, so you know, Google Map saves them in the nick of time. Upstairs, Beck is banging on the door of this apartment. A woman is yelling, who is it.
Speaker 4: I'm coming. I just need to put something on, you know, classic like stalling.
Speaker 2: But it's also like what if she was topless at home, Like it's not that crazy to be like, give me a second, I was not expecting you let me put on a shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I think that they were looking. She makes a stabler look under the door, because I think if someone's running back and forth, it's probably a little bit more of a scramble than throwing on a tank, right, Like, I think that's what her the vibe was. But this woman when she opens the door is a classic lawed order character. Immediately, what do you want? We want this guy? He's not here. You can look around, but make it quick. I got work in the morning. Also, her name is Ophelia Jones, which is hilarious. It's like from the name Book of Persephone James or whatever whatever.
Speaker 4: I forgot what Persephonie's last name is. I think it's James. But Beck goes in and feels the bed.
Speaker 1: The bed is warm, and she's like, no, he was here, Ophelia, you're lying to me. And then they spot this guy on the fire escape.
Speaker 4: He's running. Stabler chases him down.
Speaker 1: Beck takes the front and as the guy runs towards her, she's around a corner. She waits in the shadows with an impact baton and then pulls like a Jeff Galulian, smacks him in the knees and brings him right down, and they arrest him for rape, and he's like, rape, We didn't rape anyone. And Stabler's like an impact baton, Huh, that's obviously how I know what it's called, Guys, I did not know it was called an impact baton. Yeah, Stabler goes impact baton, huh, and she goes, you know, you should lose the sports jacket and the shoes. It slows you down, And it is true, Like, why are you wearing a like for when you're going to if you're going to court? Yeah, I get the jacket, but like, if you know you're gonna go to a sub suspects house where you very well might have to like pull your weapon or chase someone, we don't need the sport coat. We don't need the Joseph Abank happening over there, Stabler. But they're definitely building a case that Beck like has this baton. Maybe she's too violent, maybe she's too forceful whatever, So sos this guy, I know, so is Stabler?
Speaker 4: Is that what you mean? Yeah? Yeah, he just uses his fists.
Speaker 1: So now top of that two, they're bringing this guy into the sixteenth Precinct and he is not talking to them. He's like, you should have brought me to the hospital. He's limping as Beck takes him in to get booked. O'Halloran wants a moment with Stabler, and he's like he reveals that he told beck I wasn't done processing the Prince, like the Jaguar was a rental and Barry Cole works at the rental place. Like feels like something we could have easily looked into before we knocked on this man's home and then like hobbled him that it's a rental car and he works at Hurts, you know what I mean? Like that doesn't feel like that takes too much beat boop beep bopping on the computer. And also the prints were on the driver's side, like the passenger side door, and this guy was crouching between on the driver's side. And also it's just like two prints, whereas this guy like he found a set of ten clear prints of a perp that would like be crouching down and basically using his two hands to balance himself in between the two cars. And the Princes aren't aphis, but they are in the state system. They belong to Martin Trenway, who was fingerprinted back in nineteen seventy seven when Dunt Dunn he became an assistant District attorney in Manhattan. So oh, how so we got an inside job going on here or something you know, O'Halloran said, I called back back back to tell her, but you know, Barry Cole has a record, so she thought he looked good for it. So you know, now we're getting the full picture of Beck being quote unquote over zealous, just going for this guy because he has a record. Saylor tells Beck cut Cole loose. She's like why, and he's like, bitch, you know why, Like he wasn't the only lead. If you would listen to O'Halloran, we wouldn't have had spent our entire night chasing our tails looking for this guy and caught him loose. Before Craigan finds out, he says, so now we're at the law offices of Martin Trunway and he is played by Charles Shaughnessy aka Missed the Chef Field from the Nanny.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the only other thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Him in, right, Like, yeah, I don't you know him from other stuff?
Speaker 1: He and other stuff, Like I looked him up and he's been he's been doing other stuff, but just.
Speaker 4: Not to me, like not anything else. The man works, but he's like, to me, he's mister Sheffield and I'm not even a huge Nanny head.
Speaker 2: But oh I am. I know that whole show was cast perfectly. The wardrobe of the everything that show is so funny. It holds up. It's like awesome, yeah.
Speaker 4: And there will they won't they was? It was all awesome. I love that.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to see him here. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I love it. And yeah, there's no way he's good news. I mean, look at him. He looks too rich. He's like too rich looking.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I feel like we're not bringing in mister Sheffield from The Nanny to be a red herring, right, So they ask him about the car. They tell him it was involved in a robbery and he's like, oh, it was parked under the FDR And he's like, oh, yeah, I rented the car to go to Jersey for a deposition. I've got a toll receipt from the Holland Tunnel. And they're like, no, that's okay.
Speaker 4: We don't you know.
Speaker 1: They're trying to lull him into like sort of a false sets of confidence at the beginning and then stabler.
Speaker 2: But also to just have that like I don't remember what I'm doing, Like I think it's suspicious to have these things and remember. But maybe people aren't smoking weed like me. But if someone asked, I'd be like, let me check, or like, what was that I think I did this? Like I wouldn't immediately be like I went to the hall tunnel and I kept the receipt.
Speaker 1: When we do when we do intros for the podcast, I have to literally go into my calendar from two days earlier and go, what did I do this past weekend? Like I don't remember what I did any day. If you don't let me at my Google calendar, I'm going down for murder. Like if you don't like I just I don't know what I'm doing without my fucking shit, So well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's easy for me because I'm on a loop of five things, so easy for me to com prepare.
Speaker 1: I was reading, I was at Seoul, I was doing a spot, and I like heated.
Speaker 4: Rivalry, Like that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once in a while there might be something else coming through, but not really. I I haven't even really eaten anything kind of extraordinary.
Speaker 4: What do you when? Are they going to release the next season?
Speaker 2: April twenty twenty seven, Oh so we've got a year. Okay, it's gonna be like Game of throne situation. Well yeah, but it's nice because then you'll get like they're yearning for each other and have to wait, so like we should all be waiting.
Speaker 4: It's like, I yuess, that makes sense. That makes sense.
Speaker 2: But they're also so busy. They're casting, they just finished writing. I think they'll start in July or August, like I don't know, but I kind of hate seeing pre set photos like it's honestly a pet peeve because they just, like some of Hudson in this movie he's filming in Toronto, were released, and I get it's like press and fun, but I hate it. I like to be surprised that the movies even Devil War's product when it was outfits before they came out. Any I don't like paparazzi of being on set. No yeah, you disagree your shock No no, no no no, I's a hot take, there's no yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't have a feeling on it either way.
Speaker 1: I guess most of the time, like when I see a set photo, it's just somebody standing in like a weird like with like a coat on, like outside their trailer, and so it's not giving anything away to me.
Speaker 4: But I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Right before they leave talking to this Trendway guy, sablor clock's a wrist injury. The guy's got like a brace on or whatever, and he goes, Oh, I busted my wrist playing baseball, or I'm sorry playing basketball. I shouldn't have set a pick against my team or whatever. So lol, we are men, we like sports.
Speaker 4: Ha ha. Nobody's done anything wrong to you.
Speaker 1: Later, Beck says, typical trial lawyer, He's got an answer for everything. And Stabler wants to know if he's got a backwards l scar underneath that wrisk brace. So beck Beck brings up the composite on her Pom pilot. Another good reason to have a Pom Pilot. And it's the basically the sketch that the artist did with Nikki West.
Speaker 4: And it looks a lot.
Speaker 1: Like mister Sheffield, but unfortunately it looks a lot like ten thousand other white guys in the city. Craigan points out that they're like as they're gathered around the corkboard, but ten thousand other white guys didn't leave their prints on that. Jag Novak is there informing them that Trendway is one of the biggest personal injury attorneys in town. So this guy would form being like in eighty A to being like give me the money and just going into personal injury law. And if we accuse him, we got to have our ducks in a row. Huang is there too. He wants the personal lowdown on Trendway. He's fifty four, so he's older than forties.
Speaker 4: He's fifty four.
Speaker 1: He grew up in Queens, which explains his subtle British accent. Like this actor is British and you can hear his accent. I feel the whole time. So it is hilarious to me that they cast this man that's British and he's supposed to have grown up in Queens. But he went to Cornell, then he went to Duke for law school. He's been married thirty years, two teen sons. Lives in Stanford, Connecticut, where I have spent time of my life living, and keeps a piet A tear in New York, a block from Gracie Mansion. And he's got no record. But Beck is arguing he's a lawyer. He knows how to hide evidence, like just like the Purp and Craigan is like Craigan says a wild thing. He goes, middle aged men just don't suddenly become rapists out of the blue, and it's like, yes, they do all the time, Like no, they.
Speaker 2: Just said they probably were peeping time, they were grabby, grabby, they were holdy holdies, something's going on.
Speaker 1: I just think that it's possible for a guy to become a rapist, like if he gets rejected enough or he gets angry enough, Like, yes, he probably you're right, has like other behaviors, but they're not necessarily stuff that he might have gotten busted for legally. So it's just wild for Craigan to be like, this doesn't happen out of nowhere, and Huang's like, well, there are rare cases. High functioning men like Trendway sometimes have a history of psychosexual problems. And Novak's like, I want to put him in a lineup, but Stabler goes, that's risky. The sketch looks like him, sure, but Nicki didn't even get a good look at him, like she might not get the right.
Speaker 4: Guy, but she did see the scar.
Speaker 1: And then the next scene is something I have no memory of and is truly wild. Nicki walks in for a lineup and It is just a bunch of numbered glory holes with men's hands sticking out of them. It is the crazy I have never seen this. They have never done this another time. They have never had another like body part only lineup and it looks crazy and they like they're just He's telling like, these perps are all behind these wooden walls with their fists through the hole, and they're like, okay, everybody.
Speaker 4: Make a fist.
Speaker 1: Do this, do that, Like they're basically just doing a hand hand ography and so yeah, it just looks like a row of thing from Adam's family all in a lineup, and Stabler asks all the men to make a fist, and then Nikki checks out all these disembodied fists and she picks one. So in cement room, bars Trenway can't believe he's getting arrested because of his scar. Many other people might have one just like it, and Beck asks like, well, where did the where did you get the scar? And he explains tendon transfer surgery from when he broke his wrist, and Stable reminds him, you know, I want to remind you you've got the right to an attorney, and he goes, I am an attorney. I know my rights. I didn't do anything. And they're like, well, where were you and like last night at eleven o'clock and he goes, I was working late the office. I left around midnight checked the security logs and it's like, oh, we already did, honey, And we checked with the guard and he said you left it nine to forty five and told him not to bother entering it into the book. That's pretty sketchy, and Trenway goes, I stepped out to grab a byte again, why would you tell the security guard I stepped out to grab a bite.
Speaker 4: Don't put me down on the log.
Speaker 1: Security guard says, you were gone until about eleven funny because that's when the rape and the chase took place. And then they bring up the prints on the side of the Jaguar and he says, I dropped my briefcase when I got back from New Jersey.
Speaker 4: I must have touched the car.
Speaker 1: And Beck puts both her hands on his chests like with her fingers splait out the way that the fingerprints look and she goes, not like this, you didn't You're going to arraignment, and you know, he looks not that scared. They're walking out outside of the courthouse. Beck and Stabler are in a walk and talk with Novak. Trendway only got twenty five thousand dollars bail, he's got high up friends, no prior's.
Speaker 4: Beck is pissed.
Speaker 1: She sees a bunch of reporters gathered around and is like, hey, fellas, you want a story, I got a story, and she sticks them all on Trenway. She's like, see that guy over there, that's Trendway. He got he's on like been arrested for rape or whatever. So he's just leaving the courthouse. They all run over and they surround him like vultures. It's kind of fun, and Trendway goes, oh, this is a case of mistaken identity.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: So now with the precinct, Stabler has a newspaper with Treadway on the cover.
Speaker 4: So Beck's thing worked very quickly. He's already on the cover. He's complimenting Beck on him.
Speaker 2: It's like you can't be like, oh, you need to follow the rules, you're not following the rules and then be like, oh, hell yeah, I'm glad he didn't follow the rules. Yeah, thanks for doing something silly, silly you know, it's.
Speaker 1: Like he's complimenting her on the hand lineup as well. He's like, that was a good idea, good idea thinking about doing a fucking weird hand glory hole. And Beck's like yeah, but he's right, like others could have that scar. It's not like a deal. It's not like it's a specific tattoo or something. Just then Finn walks in with this woman and introduces her to Beck, and the woman is named Heather Stark, and she's like, I just want to thank you to Beck. Beck doesn't even like look this woman in the eye. She just goes, no need for thanks, I'm just doing my job and starts walking away. It's like she didn't Finn is not bringing her back into the squad room for a thank you. There's obviously another reason you're being a dumb bitch. But Heather obviously has more to say. So Stabler steps in to be like, Hi, what can I help you with? So now we're in wood room blinds getting Heather's story.
Speaker 2: She is yeah, like Connie Nielsen like stopping surprise. We hate her like she's supposed to be hateable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, Like I just they didn't teach you anything in Warrens about being nice to a victim.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But we're in woodroom Blinds get in Heather's story and she's played by one of my faves, Robin Weigert, who was also in season seventeen Depravity Standard, which we've already covered. She's like Calamity Jane in Deadwood. She's in Sons of Anarchy. She plays lawyer for the for the biker gang. She is little Kidman and scarsguard's therapists and big little lies.
Speaker 4: She has eighty three credits. I mean, the woman is working.
Speaker 1: She's great. I really love her. She's telling Stabler what happened that five years ago. She was going down into the subway station at one hundred and fourth them Broadway when the one the one train, possibly the nine back at this time, and then when a man knocked her into a parked car. She fell said something hit her in the head, like the guy kicked her. He forced her into the car, knocked her out. When when she woke up, they were in some abandoned lot. He had a knife. He made her perform oral sex on him and then raped her. He made her get out and he drove off, and then she went to a gas station and he had driven her to Long Island City. So how does she know that it's Trendway And she said, well, he tried to rape me from behind in the car, but he was so tall. He was too tall, so he got on top of me and he told me to close my eyes, but I didn't, and I looked at him, and when I saw his photo in the paper, I started to shake.
Speaker 4: I know it's him. I'll never forget his face.
Speaker 1: So as Stabler is walking Heather out, He's like, gonna call her friend Melissa for her. She notices a wall of photos of battered victims' faces and sees her own picture, which Beck is adding to the collage and like Munch, like.
Speaker 2: Like she printed it out while this woman was here, Yes, yes, yes, Like she's in the next room.
Speaker 1: Stabler has Munch take her away to call her friend, and Stabler's like, hey, dumbass, like that woman just relived her greatest trauma to me, Like we don't need to post enlarged photos of what it looked like in plain sight, like in the common area of the precinct.
Speaker 4: She's a dumb bitch.
Speaker 2: I'm like annoyed that Connie is like, I guess you guys didn't like me.
Speaker 4: Yeah you suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah yeah the character I mean. And then within six episodes she's so attached to a victim Elle Fanning, that she has to leave like she's so it's a very quick trajectory of her being really bad with victims and then becoming literally one of those moms practically.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 1: Beck points Stabler like I already got her case file. It was a queen's s VW case swamped and they just let me have it. So like you are getting the sense that Beck is super efficient, like she chases down the leads, she chases down the things, but she's not there's like no emotional intelligence, and she sometimes goes after the wrong fucking people just for the closure rate. So Novak and Kragan arrive and they're talking about how obviously Nikki and Heather's attackers have the same mo and the composite sketches could both easily be Tremway. But the defense will argue that her idea of Trendway was improper because she saw him in the newspaper and not on a photo lineup, And they're like, well, we might not even need to id her her clothes and rape kit were inventoried with fluids present, and the DNA wouldn't have been processed back then without a suspect, because if it's two thousand and six now, then this part crime happened in two thousand and one ish. So all the evidence is at the property clerk in Queens and the statute of limitations is up in.
Speaker 4: Four days on this case.
Speaker 1: Always, they're always running against the clock of that goddamn statute. So Craigan orders them to get a warrant for Trenway's DNA and go get the Queen's evidence as well. So now Beck and Sabler at the warehouse and it's the usual shit. An old curmudgeon tells them it's not where it's supposed to be. The warehouse leaks, we had to move stuff around. There's always like a fire or a flood or something that fucked up all this evidence. And he's like, it's not lost, but it's just going to take some time to find. And we got a lot of cases in front of you guys, and they're like, well, we don't have time, and they're like, this guy walks. If we don't find the evidence, and he goes, you're on the list, and Beck goes, no wonder they took your gun and stuck you in this hell hole and uh oh, Kurmudge does not like that. He goes, screw you, lady, Now you can find it yourself. And this guy actually does have a name. His name is Officer Fyneman and he is in season nine Cold, which we just covered recently, and then he's in season eleven Turmoil, always playing this warehouse evidence man. So as they're walking out, Beck's pissed and Sabler's like, you got any friends to undo the mess you just made in there, and he's like, I know the guy's a loser, but like bullying him doesn't accomplish anything. And you're running around half cock like you're pulling bail jumpers off the street. This is about getting inside people's heads. Your problem is every purp smells the same to you, and they don't like that they're different. Right, So, for example, Trenway's a lawyer. If you get him in the box, you work him. You don't get in his face, and you don't turn your back on victims like you did to Heather Stark. And you know, Beck has a quiet moment where she kind of maybe is taking his words in, like, you literally walked away from this woman before she even told you why she was there. So now we're suddenly in court. I don't know what's happening. Are we trying Heather Stark's case. This is a bit of a weird situation. And Heather Stark is now on the stand and they're asking her to describe additional injuries beyond the sexual assault, and she's like, well, he fractured my skull, broke my nose, my right eye socket, my whole face was a mess.
Speaker 4: I needed plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: And then she identifies Trendway with a pointer finger as usual as her attacker. And now it's the defense's turn, and the defense attorney is Charlie Moss, who we also see in season thirteen of this season, the episode Loophole, and he's played by the actor James Naughton, who's been in a ton of stuff, but I know him as Miranda Priestley's husband in The devilwaars Prada Stephen. You know, Steven's not coming and he plays Biggs brother in Nan just like that. In a couple of episodes of in just like that. But he's got a lot of credits. It's just like a bunch of stuff I haven't seen. But he looks like a douche obviously. He's classic, like the way that this show does defense, Like we know he's going to be annoying the minute he gets out of his little chair. And he goes, oh, miss uh, miss Stark, how often do you read the paper? And she goes, every day, I read the ledger? And you know that my client is very well known. And she's like, yes, I do. And you know how many times his picture has been in the ledger in the last five years since your attack?
Speaker 4: And she doesn't know.
Speaker 1: And the answer is twenty two times, so you must have seen his face before. And and Novak says, objection, speculation, and he withdraws it, but still and she goes, and he goes, is it it puzzible you recognized him from seeing him in the paper and not from your attack? And she stands strong. She's like, I was looking at him throughout the entire attack. I know it's him. Why don't you call Why didn't you call the police? The guy asks, on the other, twenty two times you saw his face in the paper? And she's like, I don't know, and Novak looks bothered. So next on the stand is doctor Polk, who is I don't know what her expertise is, but she's there to basically completely delegitimize eyewitness testimony. She's basically like, it's the least reliable.
Speaker 4: Form of testimony.
Speaker 1: But then why is it, Like there's so many cases where we can't go forward without a witness. We need a witness or we can't go forward, but then most witnesses are wrong, like she testifies that of all the accused murderers and rapists who were first exonerated when DNA became like a standard, eighty percent of them had been convicted based on mistaken eyewitness testimony.
Speaker 2: And also be curious about like the race and all of that with all people.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, she said.
Speaker 1: Jurors believe that human memory works like a videotape, that we play things back just like in the way that they were recorded. But that's not really how it works. And Heather is not lying. She's telling the truth as she believes she remembers it, but her memory can be changed by suggestion, like seeing my client in the newspaper, the guy says that which named him as a defendant in another rape case, and she says, yes, that's what so Polk says yes. So then it's Novak's turn, and she shows the composite photo to the jury that Heather drew up or that when she first was out of after her attack, out of the hospital, and asks Polk like, do you think this could be Trendway?
Speaker 4: And she goes, it.
Speaker 1: Could be, but the fact that he's sitting a few feet away is very suggestive. So Novak points out, for seven hours after Heather Stark was raped and beaten, she was hospitalized, poked, prodded, photographed, sutured, cleaned up, and interviewed by police. And yet after all of that, after all of the possible suggestion that she might have been influenced by, she still gave a description of her attacker that even you agree resembles the defendant. Uh huh, And Pok doesn't answer, and Novak asked Poke, given the trauma she went through, her accuracy then and her confidence now, isn't it possible that she correctly identified mister Trenway as her attacker? And Polk says, yes, you know, it's possible. I don't know if it's beyond a reasonable doubt, but it's possible. The court goes on lunch break and Stabler notices Trenway holding hands and speaking to a woman behind him in the gallery, and then he also clocks an older woman staring Daggers straight ahead. This is when I knew where the episode was going. I don't know if this is where you did add She gets up and makes brief eye contact with Stabler before walking out of the courtroom, and Novak says to Beck and Stabler, please tell me you got like the DNA, like you found the evidence from the Heather Stark crime right, and Stabler goes, Yep, it's already being processed. I'm very confused how this case was even going to trial in the time with four days left on the statute limitations.
Speaker 4: Well that was physical evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, because that was my question, like does it just have to be filed or the arrest mad or like does court have to happen?
Speaker 4: Like what are these rules for?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, yeah, it's just I mean, obviously we know that the court timeline you are following the Luigi case obviously, like it keeps getting pushed back. This all went down eighteen months ago, and he's like, we barely had this guy in court, Like, so it is obviously insane on the show how they do this.
Speaker 4: But I'm just like, there's kind of no way.
Speaker 1: I feel like that this would even go to court with just a woman saying five years ago it was this guy and no evidence after seeing him in the newspaper, right, Like, it just doesn't I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't get it. So maybe it's a Molino hearing, but I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: I think it's like it seems like it's a regular hearing. But anyway, Novak is like, great, I'm going to get the results in on rebuttal and Stabler goes, hold on, we might have a problem. Cut to Melinda's house. She's explained she was We're getting like on a roller coaster of emotions here. First Melinda goes, unfortunately, at one point in time, this evidence got wet, which caused mold to grow on the biological material, and they're.
Speaker 4: Like, shit, are we fucked? Like is it ruined?
Speaker 1: And then she goes, but we lucked out a couple of DNA markers are suitable for comparison, yes, and I have definitive proof, and Novak is like, score, we got him, and Melinda toying with all of them, goes and actually the results aren't even fucking close. There is no way in hell that Trendway raped Heather Stark, Like these are not even closely related in any world.
Speaker 2: It's devastating, It's really devastating.
Speaker 4: So outside the courthouse, Heather is upset.
Speaker 1: She's insisting, like I was staring at his face during the entire attack, so I could remember everything about him. This has to be wrong, she says, And like I'm sitting there going what.
Speaker 4: Did this guy do to fuck? Did this guy pay someone to fuck with the DNA? Like he did? Do it? Right?
Speaker 1: Likes, She's so sure, so the DNA can't be wrong. Unfortunately, they tell her at this moment. This is At this moment, Trendway decides this would be a great time for a little chat and he approaches Heather and she screams, get the hell away from me, and then he excuses himself like a true fool, like he looks like an idiot.
Speaker 4: And Heather's like, how can I be so sure and be wrong?
Speaker 1: And you know that's obviously the show and the writers trying to make a commentary on recall and memory and like how these things work like, and Stabler's like, Stabler Damasco's we'll run the DNA. If he's been arrested for another crime, we'll get him. And Heather's like, do I have to remind you about the law you are a cop? Like it's too late. It's too late now, she says, and then she walks away just past the statute. Oh yeah, like you know, they got this court in what the day of the statute, They somehow got this trial to trial. And then she walks away, and Novac goes, She's right, she'll never get justice, but maybe we can still get justice for Nicky, you know, Lily rob so Beck is pushing hard on the Trendway thing.
Speaker 4: Was him for sure?
Speaker 1: And Novak is like, if we put this guy on trial right now for Niki, we'll make him a martyr. He's already the poster boy for mistaken identity. We need another victim who will testify the trend weight rape term. So back at the precinct, Craigan is like, we already went back five years. We didn't find anything, Sabler says. Novak wants them to go back farther to get a Malino witness, which is, if you remember, I've talked about this on the pod before, is specific to New York justice system, where it's specific to criminal cases in New York where people can testify about prior bad acts to prove motive, intent or pattern. But I don't I do need a lawyer to explain to me the difference between a molino witness and.
Speaker 4: Prejudicial to the jury.
Speaker 1: Like when they they'll go, well, you can't testify, that will be prejudicial. But isn't this prejudicial to set up this pattern or whatever? But I don't know, and then we'll see me more.
Speaker 2: It's like like someone nephew got in trouble and so Congressman changed the rules.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, actually, I don't know. It just seems like a crazy rule to be like, yeah, you're right, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's confusing because we've seen so many cases where they're like, well, but this happened, but yeah, but there's no evidence of that. We can't have you say that because that's prejudicial whatever. So Craigan says, I don't even know why we still have the statute of limitations now that we have DNA, and I believe The Statute of Limitations was eliminated in two thousand and six, the same year that this episode came out. And then there is a new law that came out in twenty nineteen that extended the Statute of limitations in some cases.
Speaker 4: But I thought that it was I remember that eliminated. It was like a molestation thing.
Speaker 1: It was incest as well, like now incest goes longer. It used to be like ten years and now it's twenty and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Because I think this has to do with like the Catholic Church and the suing and stuff, and it let people sue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, Yeah, because there were some things where there were going to let people still make claims until way beyond, Like I think if something happens when you're a child, I think it's like up until you're in your twenties, like twenty six or something. But anyway, it is funny that Craigan's making this heavy handed, like why do we even have the statute? And at the same time, it's pretty much going away in real time, so much of course, the contrarian goes, well, it's to stop people like Heather Stark from accusing the wrong person. And when we get into the bullpen, they all see Beck, who has apparently been there all night, just pounding coffee like a dog with a bone, and she's like, trendway, I got him, and she found this woman did a full fucking work up. Okay, she found fourteen, which again, this is what would have already happened before we got to Heather Stark's case.
Speaker 4: I feel like we would have already done a deep dive on this.
Speaker 2: Dude, right Well, I don't think they could have because of the time the statue.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe, yeah, that's true. I think that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was an indict maybe it was like the indictment or something, or I don't know. Anyway, she found fourteen unsolved beatings and rapes in Ithaca from nineteen seventy to nineteen seventy four, the years that he was at Cornell if you remember him going to Cornell and they stopped as soon as he graduated. And then in North Carolina where Duke is, eleven victims from seventy four to seventy seven, which correspond with the exact years that he was in law school at Duke, all unsolved. And then she points out the fact that this dude works in New York, Connecticut, but lives in Connecticut, and also mentioned going to court in New Jersey. So they put it together and they're like, oh, my gosh, she could have been committing rapes in the Tri state area for years because they're all different jurisdictions. It would be easy to get away with it. No one really shares info. So then they talk about how he grew up in Douglaston, Queens, and she pulled the cases from nineteen ten sixty seven to nineteen seventy when he was a teen, and there are no rapes with his mo O, but there are two assaults. One was a man, so we threw that one out and the other was a woman who was assaulted in her house. Her name at the time, her name was Lorraine del Moss. She was thirty two years old. She had a broken nose, cheekbone, jawbone. Craig Kragan's reading the injuries out loud and Finn goes, where have I heard that before? Like these are basically identical to Nikki West injuries. And they're like, well, if that woman's still alive, she would be in her seventies, and Stabler goes, I think she is alive.
Speaker 4: I've seen this woman's face so now.
Speaker 2: And that's a stretch because this is like a black and white, fuzzy beat the fuck up photo and the woman we saw I just don't buy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he could have put it to that.
Speaker 1: He aged progressed it forty years and like figured it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But now they are at the home of Lorraine del Moss, who answers the door. And as we know, five actresses have won the Emmy for Outstanding Guest Actress from Larner SVU.
Speaker 4: The first was a Manda Plumber.
Speaker 1: The second is this woman, Leslie Coron, for this episode, and she is one of Neil Behar's absolute favorites. He talks about liking the episodes with Leslie Coron when we talked to him, and then of course number three, four and five were Cynthia Nixon, Ellen Burston and Ann Margaret So. Leslie Coron is a French actress. She's currently ninety four years old. Star of stage and screen. She's won an Emmy and a Goal and a Golden Globe. She's been nominated for an Oscar twice. More recently. Yeah, two movies that she's in more recently are Chaco Lot and La Divorce.
Speaker 4: Those are her? Those are so old, I know, but like.
Speaker 2: She's ninety four, I don't know if she's I remember Chack a Lot from the Oscar Like Seasons. For some reason, that movie like stuck into my head as a kid. I don't know why, but.
Speaker 4: It's like, who's the other French actress that Juliette Binoche. Juliette Binoche, but also the one that was in.
Speaker 1: SVU where she shoots Alena Olin. No, no, Lena Ollen's not French, it's the other woman.
Speaker 2: Wow for Molina's. This was in two thousands, so I guess I wasn't a kid, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is a bellou pear. Is a bellou pear? So yeah, sometimes I feel like she's.
Speaker 1: Not in Chaco Lot though, no, no, no no, But I think of like Juliette Binoche is a bellou pear, and I guess maybe Leslie caron as like the main French actresses that have come over into American mainstream cinema.
Speaker 2: So I thought were just talking about Chaco Lot. So Lena Olin, Juliette Binoche, and Leslie Caronner all in Chaco Lot.
Speaker 1: Oh Lena Ola, Yes, Okay I haven't. I don't think i've seen Chaco lot to be honest.
Speaker 2: It's one of my Johnny Depp choices for the movie Games that does well.
Speaker 4: Smart one.
Speaker 2: I don't wait Peter's Stormare is in it.
Speaker 4: I like him.
Speaker 2: He's I never knew his name. He's the freak with Steve Buscemi and Fargo. Oh okay, I wish he's been I wish she was in an SVU so he could do our podcast anyway.
Speaker 1: Stabler and Beck are at the door of this woman and he goes missus del Moss, and she corrects him and goes miss Stelmas, and he goes, I saw you in court in the gallery, and then she invites them in, and inside she's setting down like a full tea set, and she assumed that she's like, I assumed you were coming to talk to me about Marty, and like Trenway's name is Martin, so she's calling him Marty. She's known him since he was a boy. She was best friends with his mother. Oh, you must have been shocked when he was accused of assaulting these women. And she does not say yes about being shocked. She doesn't really answer, and she says, well, I wanted to see what would happen, and so you were pleased when the charges were dropped, They ask her, and she goes, yes, but just like one syllable yes. So she and Martin's mother, Marie, grew up in the same town in France.
Speaker 4: Together.
Speaker 1: Marie met James, and then James's brother met Lorraine, and they both came to the US to be with these brothers. Okay, but Lorraine and her guy broke up after Marie died, and on her deathbed, Marie made Lorraine promised to take care of Marty, but he became very difficult after his mother died. He wouldn't communicate with his father, and so we spent a lot of time at Loraine's and she says we were very close. Stabler goes, why were you sitting so far away from.
Speaker 4: Him in court?
Speaker 1: And then really weirdly, at this point, the scene silently moves to the precinct, like it just moves to the precinct. Now she's answering questions in the precinct, and I was very confused because they were just questioning her, talking back and forth, and then now they're in the precinct and asking in woodroom blinds asking her questions, and she goes. She continues to talk about her relationship with Marty aka Martin Trnway. She goes, well, we haven't spoken in forty years. He went to college, we lost touch. So they ask her, oh, well, is that before or after the attack in your home? And she's silent for a minute and she would rather not talk about that attack, and Stabler pushes. He goes, you know, I read the police reports. The attacker didn't break in. Did you know your attacker? And she says, well, it happened so long ago. You know, people in those days weren't afraid to open their doors. And she's getting flustered and she stands up and says, I want to go home. And that was when I realized she wasn't in her home. I was like, I thought we were in your home. And then she was like, I want to be taken home. So Stabler's like, what about some food? Can I get you something to eat? And he's stalling her to get her to stay. On the other side of the glass, it's Craig and Beck and Huang watching and Beck's like, I don't get why she's protecting him, because you don't get anything about victims, like truly not a thing, and Craigan thinks, well, it might be out of allegiance to Trendway's mother and Huang's like, I don't think so. I think she went to court to see him get justice. Well then why won't she talk And Huang's like, because she's ashamed and she's not going to talk to a man. So now the cameras the camera focuses on Beck like, Babe, you're gonna take it this one. You're gonna finally man up and join us view for real. And this is her moment to step up and like, yeah, be an SVU detective who is all?
Speaker 4: She annoys me.
Speaker 2: Doing this too, Like now that she's nice to a victim, I'm pissed too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now I hate when she walks in and starts speaking French. It like sickens me. I'm like, you try hard, bitch, I don't know that that sucks.
Speaker 1: It's oh there, Yeah, she's multi lingual and Beck knocks on the door and asks can I come in in French? And then she gives her some water, continues speaking to her in friend, and she tells her about how she used to summer in Avignon, not far from where Lorraine grew up, and she tells her you shouldn't be ashamed, and Lorraine goes ashamed of what?
Speaker 4: And she said, of what he did to you? Did he rape you?
Speaker 1: She asked, And this is all in French, and Lorraine again says no, no, no, I don't want to talk about this, and Beck tells her it's okay, and then tells her about her cop husband who was murdered four years ago, and for a long time she couldn't talk about it either, and then once she did, she felt much better. No one should have to live with what you went through like in secret, basically.
Speaker 2: And then but Lorraine's stories have nothing to do with each other, so that's like that analogy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess, like, just talk about your trauma is the only thing she's trying to say to this woman.
Speaker 4: But opening up giving her a secret.
Speaker 1: She didn't tell that to Stable earlier when they were talking about husbands and whatever.
Speaker 4: So now she's.
Speaker 1: Worth you know, Okay, Now we know why she's so, you know, driven to get bad guys because someone murdered her husband or I don't know. Then Lorraine switches to English and goes but I promised his mother, and Beck says, yeah, and you kept that promise. You helped him, and now you have to help yourself. Back to enent Francis and Lorraine says, I didn't want to get him in trouble. I forced myself to forget. I pretended nothing happen. But you keep it inside, it eats you up. My fiance tried to help me, but I couldn't tell him anything. He finally left, and after that I knew that no man would ever want me. So did Marty attack you? She said, it's okay, you don't have to protect him anymore, and Lorraine nods and says, yes, it was Marty, and she immediately burst into tears. She's like, I didn't want to say it, but it was Marty. So now we're at an evidentiary hearing, okay, And it is four days later. Lorraine is on the stand. She's explaining that Marty was upset the night he came over, but he wouldn't say why. He asked for a soda. When she was getting it out of the fridge, she was hit from behind, knocked to the floor.
Speaker 4: It was Marty.
Speaker 1: He was hitting me and hitting me and Trenway stands up and screams, you're lying.
Speaker 4: Why are you lying?
Speaker 1: And then she yells back, you know it's true, Marty, and then he screams, you swore you wouldn't say anything, like wow, he turned real quick like he immediately was like, but you promised, And so Lorraine keeps going. She goes, you grab the kitchen knife from the counter. You made me pull down my pants, and you raped me, and Trenway sits down as Judge Queen Judge Petrovsky is banging her gavel asking for order, and Novak asks, why didn't you tell the police about the rape? She said, I was single, I was engaged to be married. I was embarrassed and ashamed. I didn't know what my fiance would do, and Marty was like family to me. So Novak asks Petrowski to accept this testimony as proof that Trendway has raped before, and Petrovski tells Lorraine that she is so sorry for what she has endured and sorry that she can never try Martin Trenway for what he did to her. But this is an evidentiary hearing, not a trial, and because it happened so long ago, there is no proof to support your testimony. And I cannot admit this under Malino on the ground that it would be unfairly pressured prejudicial to the defendant.
Speaker 4: But wouldn't Novak know that?
Speaker 1: Like I'm so confused about, Like why would you even call this hearing if you know that a judge is not going to give you any I guess what the difference is is like he never went to trial for this because it's past the statute of limitations. But there's evidence, right, And but Novak knew putting her up on the stand that there was no evidence. And then for the sake of drama, Lorraine interrupts Petrovsky and goes, I buried it. I buried it like my memories. After Marty left that night, I took off all my clothes I was wearing and I stuffed them in a box. There's a place in the basement. And as she's talking, we're seeing stablers search for the box in her basement. He finds this floral box and he opens it and it is stuffed with clothes. And she continues that she kept the box down there for forty years until she heard that Marty had raped a girl and she knew it had to be true.
Speaker 4: Why was this not given to.
Speaker 1: You, to anybody before this like evidentiary hearing? It just doesn't make any sense to me, And so we cut some Melinda comparing Trendway's DNA to the DNA on Lorrain's clothes, and boom, they're a match.
Speaker 4: Martin Trenway raped Nicki West.
Speaker 1: But she says that with such certainty, it's like that doesn't actually quite prove that. It makes it so that we can get maybe this Molino witness in, but it doesn't necessarily prove that he definitely raped Nicko West, even though I do think he did. Back at the hearing, Lorraine is still talking. She all this has been going on, all this testing has been going on. While she's talking, she goes, I blame myself. Marty was only fifteen. It really reminded me of the of the Alfred Molina episode, Like it reminded me of someone who's like assaulting adults as a team and is not being stopped because promising young man whatever bullshit right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like her whole life was not worth.
Speaker 2: His, like you know what I mean, And she just lived with no one, was like no one will be with me and that's fine to keep this promise to my dead friend. And it's like, your life's worth more than this, dude, It's like so weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the chances are your friend didn't know kind of the monster that her son was or becoming or.
Speaker 4: Ally did or did yeah? Or did or did? Oh? That's dark, that's the dark part.
Speaker 1: You know that your son is Like, Oh, we need to talk about Kevin, and you on your deathbed, tell your friend please look out for him.
Speaker 2: Wait, I've never seen it. What does he end up killing? Or like what happens spoiled?
Speaker 4: Does anyone?
Speaker 1: Has anyone seen it? I'm it, but I want to know what happens if you have not watched. We need to talk about Kevin. I'm giving away the plot right now. Basically, she knows his whole life. She can tell something's up with him, and eventually he does the equivalent of a school shooting but with a bow and arrow, and he like kills a bunch of people. Jared and I went to see it on one of our first dates. Oh my god, I think I know that. But did did he go to Like what's the move?
Speaker 4: Like? When does what timeline? Does the movie start him?
Speaker 1: It starts him like as a as a kid, it's like his whole life and he does weird things and the mom keep being like, am I doing something wrong?
Speaker 4: Is it him?
Speaker 1: Like it's kind of psychopath like nature versus nurture kind of conversation. Is that movie Casey In the end, does he like go to trial or anything? Or I don't remember that part? He goes to jail, and then she has to live with like the she also has to live with the stigma of being like the parent of a school shooter or like a mass murderer.
Speaker 4: But it's also like this thing where she from the very beginning is like, there's something off about my son, there's something very dark and wrong with him, and everybody else is like you really have it out for Kevin, don't you? What's your deal? What's wrong with you? And then you know, she ends up being right, but no one believes her and then afterwards they'll blame her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basically, that's that's classic motherhood. It's like boys will be boys and then it's like you do you, Like he's not boys will be boys, and it's like, well, you were a bad mom, like you probably made him that way.
Speaker 4: Like it's really we've seen that well anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so Marty was only fifteen, he had a whole life ahead of him. Lorena is saying, so I made myself forget what he had done. Maybe if I had spoken up, he could have been helped. Maybe he wouldn't have harmed this young lady. And then classic SVU. Even though the date from the first visit to Martin Trenway's apartment was on September nineteenth, it is now October second. They zoom in on Nicky West and it's a fresh face Lily Rob with not a scratch on her face. She does not have you know, sometimes it's like, oh, the black ey's gotten better, but there's still a little bit of it. She has not a scratch out her face, and it's been thirteen days since she was rearranged and probably needed plastic surgery. And you know whatever, we got beautiful young Lily Rob sitting there. She like Lorraine, apologizes to her from the stand. A solitary tear rolls down Nicky's cheek. It's very dramatic. Outside the courtroom, Novak says Trendway will plead guilty to raping Niki and give them the names of all the victims he can remember, and in return, Casey recommends the mac sentence. I go, I don't really know that's a deal, but okay. Beck's like, well, it won't be long enough. Did he agree to it? And Novack goes, oh, yeah, he's waving the white flag. He knows it's all over, which I sort of don't believe any rich man that gets busted ever, is truly waving the white flag and knows it's all over, unless there's fully a video of you murdering someone. I think they all try to like get through loopholes and just spend money until they get an appeal.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's because he's a lawyer and he just knows he's fucked.
Speaker 4: Maybe.
Speaker 1: But Lorraine wants to know, well, what does this all mean? And Beck goes, well, it means that when he when and if he gets out of prison, he'll be too old to rape anyone. And Nicky asks Lorraine and it's like, I'd like to know the actual number of years, because he's fifty four right now, and we've seen horrible rapists get like ten years, So I'd love to know for sure that he's going to that he's getting thirty to forty years. Nicky asks Lorraine, how can I ever repay you? And she goes, move on, live your life, don't lock yourself away the way I did. And Lorraine turns to Beck and you know, touches her arm and says mercy twice. And she walks off with her head held high and smile a little bit of a smile on her face. And so maybe Lorraine is going to start living now in her seventies. And that's Dick Wolf Baby. A very wild episode plot wise, but a little all over the place plot wise, But I do like the.
Speaker 4: I do like some of the themes, and I like some of the guest casting. Its great good one. And guess what you're gonna hate the crimes? Oh god? All right, So we're moving on along.
Speaker 2: This guy, the Belmont Shore rapist, and this connects because of DNA stuff.
Speaker 4: I would say, that's how this this case I connect it.
Speaker 2: So basically, these this guy, this rapist he was attacking. His name is Mark Wayne Rathbun wrath Bun, but I only think of mister Ratburn from Arthur, so it's hard for me. But okay, So he attacked in California and in Washington State from nineteen ninety six until two thousand and two. And it was a series of assaults and they occurred in late night to early morning hours in homes where doors were not locked or not properly secured. But also he would jimmy his way in as well, sometimes a window, sometimes a back door. I don't think we should be like blaming people, but yeah, you gotta lock your door, okay. So the victims ranged at an eight age. Actually, I had a friend come over this week and he went one floor up and walked into another person's apartment. Oh no, it was two girls, but they have actually just moved in. So to me, I'm like, where have you come from? You should actually lock your door. Yeah, But my friend's non threatening, so I'm sure they were fine.
Speaker 4: He has a bob.
Speaker 2: So the victims ranged in age from thirty to seventy four.
Speaker 4: The majority were elderly. The women were always alone.
Speaker 2: No weapons were used, but he would wear gloves and a mask, and then after the rape, he would forcibly cuddle with them in their beds.
Speaker 4: Oh, now, I.
Speaker 2: Know it's like that, it's just so fucked. It's all fucked. But like that's definitely a new fuck. Like, I don't think we've had that before. I don't think we've had a forced cuddle.
Speaker 4: No, but I hate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rape, oral rape, sodomy, penetration with foreign objects, all the hits. And it started in Seattle in nineteen ninety six and then in ninety seven the attacks moved to California. A lull from June two thousand to December two thousand and one, but in total, over thirty women attacked, and authorities to The Orlando Sentinel described him as a drifter. Okay, so he's just like a drifter and he traveled by bicycle. So hm, that's his vibe. Sorry, I just like, I don't know, to be like a rapist on a bicycle, Like, it's just so annoying.
Speaker 1: Remember the tr Night episode, he was on a bike course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how dare you? How dare you question.
Speaker 2: Mark Wayne? Okay, so Mark Wayne. He was arrested after DNA evidence linked him to some of the attacks. So basically, like the cops got him when Mark was thirty two in Long Beach in November two thousand and two, when he was stopped on a bicycle about three blocks from his latest attack. So the cops get a call of a break in and an attempted sexual assault. This woman fought him off and they had a quick response, shockingly, and they set up a perimeter around the crime and two other people were stopped as well and questioned.
Speaker 4: But he had an injury to his.
Speaker 2: Finger, and the police believed that came from a victim because the victim said she bit his finger in hand. But then also he had a crack pipe, so they were able to charge with possession of drug paraphernalia. They did release someone a two hundred and fifty dollars bail, but he gave up his DNA voluntarily and left, and that might have been the crack influence.
Speaker 1: I mean, I wonder because it was like two thousand and two and he might have like not even known what DNA like does like that it.
Speaker 4: Is going to put you in jail. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Maybe you escape.
Speaker 2: So he was then put under surveillance, and once the DNA sample came back and matched thirteen of the attacks, they took him into comity an ox snard. He was arraigned within forty eight hours from the arrest. So very y SVU timing, uh huh. So that that's pretty wild. And this guess what this all started. He had a peeping tom charge when he was seventeen. The gateway drug, the gateway drug of skateway drugs to sex crimes is peeping tom rie yep. Yeah, and so yeah, the thirteen attacks had DNA, and then the methods of the crime were similar and connected him to eighteen other attacks even though there was no physical evidence left behind in those. He also had a burglary charge in eighty nine. He was convicted in four on fifty nine rape counts connected to ten women he raped in California. So the judge called Rathbun a monster and sentenced him to one thousand and thirty years in prison plus ten life terms.
Speaker 4: So like slay diva, that is a sleigh diva. That is quite a sentence. Yes, it's so funny.
Speaker 2: So then Seattle attacks went to court even after that, and that jury took two hours of deliberation and they found him guilty in three more rapes committed twelve you know, like twelve years prior in King's County. So he got yeah, so in California was already serving one thousand years and then they found him guilty of like these three more rapes in Seattle. He did try to and they were like, oh no, babe, But he said the claims were like his claims were, the sentence was cruel and unusual.
Speaker 4: But you raped over thirty women, so I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, imagine you get called for jury duty for a guy that's already serving one thousand years in another state. Like, I mean, I have jury duty next week. I'm nervous.
Speaker 4: I feel like I've avoided it so many times. I think it could get me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I wish I could go, but I have to become a citizen here in New York.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's the word. To become a citizen.
Speaker 1: Get a license, that's it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, all right, so now this will boil your blood like this is like the opposite. Okay, just let me get into this. So Melvin Carter, he has a fucking nickname too, the college terrorist Rapist.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So, in nineteen eighty two, Melvin admitted to raping one hundred women in the Bay. According to court documents, he said he assaults in an average of one woman a month for ten years, and usually by invading their homes at night and attacking them at knife point. He was known as this college terrorist rapist because he stalks the campuses in Stanford, Berkeley, and Davis. In nineteen eighty two, he pled no contest to twenty three counts of rape, assault, burglary, and attempted burglary in Alameda County. So he was given a twenty five year sentence and only served twelve years of that time.
Speaker 1: These eighty sentences are going to give me a fucking heart attack. Like the fact that that the way things were going down in the eighties where it was like, oh, rape, go to jail for like a couple months and then come on out.
Speaker 4: Oh it's gonna get worse and worse.
Speaker 2: But like the fact that the other guy got a thousand years and this guy got twelve and he was released, he was given parole. But I don't know what no contest means, Like what is that? That's fucked?
Speaker 1: But like whatever, Well, I mean I know that like no contests usually means you don't necessarily admit guilt, but it means you think they have enough evidence to find you guilty, Like you.
Speaker 2: Know, should give those people more time? Yeah, he should give them.
Speaker 4: More Yeah yeah yeah yeah, Like they did to the French guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was given parole. Oh okay, so he got to leave early for good behavior. But so basically the parole was three years in a prison camp. But let me explain, it's not like a prison camp that you're imagining. So and so he was allowed to leave the prison camp with a guard or a parole officer. And this happened. This started in nineteen ninety four. I don't know what kind of hannibal lecture shit, this is. Okay, So he did have electronic monitoring, twenty five mile restriction on travel, regular lie detector tests, psychiatric treatment, and he couldn't leave the residents for more than twelve hours.
Speaker 4: But like, why does he get any of this? Like, I'm just so confused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, the corrections department initially tried to release him quietly. They wanted to just do it chill, and then the community and people got really really mad, and then okay, so then with these three years in this place, he could then do whatever he wants and just be out in the world. And the town was pissed. It's Modic County, and one of the residents, Susie. She was funny and to the times. She was like, Hey, this is a hunting town and he's not gonna last twenty four hours in this town.
Speaker 4: Let him out. She's like, letting him out. This town's pissed.
Speaker 2: They were flipping out because this prison camp is actually called Devil's Garden.
Speaker 4: Again, these both sound worse than what it really is. What the hell so Devil's Garden, Yeah, but it's like not that.
Speaker 2: This place is supposed to be for nonviolent felons, so his presence alone is an issue and goes against this. This is on federal land and this is a national forest, so it's the modic National forest and the Forest Service who runs this federal land and this camp were pissed.
Speaker 4: So this the Forest Service.
Speaker 2: Spokesman Matt Matt Mathis, he was saying how He's like, oh, we're changing, like the rules were it had to be nonviolent felons already, and then they let this sex criminal in. So then they like changed everything so no one like that can be placed with him again without the approval of the Forest Service. Like this happened against the Forest Service approval, and so they changed something in whatever charter or law that like they can't just.
Speaker 4: Put someone in there. Anymore.
Speaker 2: So it's like you're getting townspeople pissed, you're getting these forest guys mad, You're getting the victims upset for what this guy who's admitted out loud to raping one hundred women one a month, Like it's a fucking you know, going out for a burger. It's like psychotic. These forest people were so mad they threatened to close the whole camp. They're like, if you if you let this guy in, we're closing it. It's supposed to be for minimum security inmates to receive training for being firefighters, and now that makes more sense, right, And so yeah, town is like we thought it was like chill, nonviolent people like doing fire safety, Like we don't want this like rapist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like drug offenses like yeah.
Speaker 2: They were promised no, no sex crimes. So everyone's like, mad, I don't understand it. So he gets released and then moves to Livingston County in New York. But they couldn't, like the people, the authorities in Livingston couldn't tell the public about it because there was a lawsuit that kept Carter off the sex offender registry. There was a what a lot there was some sort of lawsuit or something was happening, so he was able to move to a new place, and the authorities were not able to warrant its citizens that there was a level three like sex offender there. So then finally a judge later like ruled he had to register. So he registers, but then he gets fucking arrested because he doesn't update his photo the way he's supposed to. So in twenty eighteen he gets arrested. I don't know why they would leave this man out. And then while he's at core for not updating his photo on his sex registry Level three after all these rapes, seventeen people from his church came to support him at that court date.
Speaker 4: Oh no, not the church support.
Speaker 2: And with the violation he was facing up to three years. Of course, he didn't got it. He didn't get it. He didn't get that. He got four months in intermittent incarceration. I don't know he keeps getting I don't does he have like the ja'afar hypnotized stick. I don't understand how he's just like maneuvering through the justice system in this way, because it's not like it's he doesn't seem wealthy to what I'm looking you know whatever, Okay, So anyways, he got four months in intermittent incarceration. He paid a three hundred and twenty five dollars five like surcharge, fifty dollars in DNA fee, and limited release meant just weekends in jail, so basically he got to live five days a week and then do weekend jail. Well, that is rapist as a prolific serial rapist. So there's a photo of him on the registry. It was updated March thirteenth, twenty twenty six, so he is keeping up with his registry. He he looks fucking creepy. He lives in Lecaster Less like in England it would be Lesster Square.
Speaker 4: I don't know is this so?
Speaker 2: I actually don't know who cares. But if you want, you can look him up. You can see his full address and his employment and he's just like alive in New York and on the registry. And fuck you California or where was this? Never mind? I don't know why I just said fuck you.
Speaker 1: Well it was originally California that let him out, and then it was then he went to New York.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't understand.
Speaker 2: I don't know why he didn't serve the full twenty five Like how about at least a year for each woman raped?
Speaker 4: Like how about twenty three years? Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: I mean, what good behavior can a rapist do to take away their rape? Good behaviors? For Like I was sixteen and I did.
Speaker 1: An armed robbery and then you don't just do that like once a month for ten years and then stop like because a judge told you too or whatever. So the guy either has to be like chemically castrated or something, or.
Speaker 2: But then he did fail probation or parole or whatever, and they gave him millennium sentence again, Like why wouldn't you give him four years? Why would it be just weekend jail? My friend with a DUI had to do weekend jail, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fucked. That is really fucked.
Speaker 1: And he's just alive and well in Lester Leicester like whatever, New York fuck.
Speaker 2: Crazy ever, it is crazy. It's like these crime, these crimes never end. I just keep thinking about the guy I argued with. I was just like you just think about this stuff too much, you know, I just try not to think about it, Like all right, well, it's never ending so it's not even about thing. God, it's so gorgeous outside. It's really a nice day out here too.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, let's rapes keep raping, the rapists keep raping and getting barely any punishments.
Speaker 4: Okay, And it's.
Speaker 2: Called like the Devil's Garden prison camp, and it's like firefighting training for minor offense.
Speaker 1: Just why are you calling it that? I mean, just call it something very It doesn't need a cute name. All right, we don't have a guest today, so no, the Devil's Garden is gonna be my drag queen name.
Speaker 2: A little bit of a pothead too, you know, yeah, the Devil's let us. Yeah yeah, and welcome to the stage, the Devil's Garden.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to our post mortem.
Speaker 4: I mean, a tough episode.
Speaker 1: It's tough when like someone when you see like someone that's been through this trauma, like the character in the show who just is misremembering because memory is such a weird thing.
Speaker 4: But it's also so weird.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, you always have to have an eyewitness or it's he said, she said. But then if you have an eyewitness, they're not reliable. Like there's just like kind of no way to nail anyone unless you like have a video and a confession.
Speaker 4: So that's the justice system. It seems like, yeah.
Speaker 2: But even if you have everything like they in the True Crime he what serves maybe twelve years I know for like so many rapes, admitting to the rapes, like the church supporting him.
Speaker 4: It's like it doesn't even matter if you have.
Speaker 2: All the evidence, just like all the DNA footage everything. It's like, I don't know, but you texted him the next day. It's like they will find any reason to excuse it. It's like it's crazy rape so much and then one guy gets a thousand years.
Speaker 4: It's like it's just up to whatever kooky judge is there. It's just I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think also the difference between your two guys here is that like in nineteen eighty two or the eighties, when this guy was committing these crimes, like DNA wasn't as bad, and now with the DNA, I feel like it's DNA has forced these judges to be like, oh, okay, you you actually you fucking did it, you know, like and instead of okay, it might have been consensual, like let's do five.
Speaker 2: But he admitted it. Yeah's the thing. He admitted a rapping up. I'm admitted, Like, yeah, he admitted it, and they're like let him out, and then of course he breaks probation and then they still let him out. Like it just is really fucking annoying. And then the Belmont Shore one. You know, it's like such an indicator that like it's about power and like that the elderly are victims so.
Speaker 4: Often of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we don't think about that because we think about rape and such sexual terms. Because I'm thinking about even the slut walk, Like I just feel like the crime is so misunderstood and like, yeah, it's like about it was just about power.
Speaker 1: I mean, especially the guy in this episode, because he starts doing this when he's like sixteen. You know, like it's this some kind of mental break in him that makes this violence towards women that he does his whole fucking life.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's also so crazy that this guy in the show, in the episode, that he commits these crimes and then he pursues a career in the law, like he becomes a district attorney, Like knowing that he does these that he commits crimes against people all the time. Not like it's not like I think every lawyer is taking like an oath to do no harm, but like to become an adya, like you're working for the state trying to put away criminals when you have been a serial rapist since you were fifteen.
Speaker 4: It's just kind of a while.
Speaker 1: Then personal then he becomes a personal injury lawyer, which is that tracks for me too, Like he just it's money and like more power, you know.
Speaker 2: Because if it's more Yeah, if it's about power, then then it makes sense for him to be an ada and then he can control the stuff, he could steal it in it, he can do whatever cover up for his own crimes. Yeah, he could do everything.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Something related earlier in my brain to something you said, but it actually has nothing to do with anything. But I was watching this one video online and I don't know who this woman is, but she was saying how people shit on the Girl Boss era so much that it's like seen as this big embarrassment, and she was just saying she goes and I don't know this because I was never in this type of corporate life, but she goes, No, it actually changed a lot of things.
Speaker 4: She goes. When I started in finance, it.
Speaker 2: Was very like no one should know you're a woman dressing brown, like do this, there's only one and she goes, you know, like it is different in the corporate world. Now you can like wear stuff and there's more women, And I just I'm curious about that, Like, was it this humiliating thing and we can't have it all in millennial cringe girl boss y or was it an actual thing that's being diminished that did change people's lives And maybe not as much, but like maybe me shoo did, but things do did change. I don't know, it was just something that pequed my curiosity. This Yeah, no, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I guess the girl boss era was like twenty fourteen to nineteen, okay, and that people are talking about also like these things kind of it's like the women can have it All era of the eighties, Like these things can like repeat themselves and even though maybe we've decided with maybe people have decided women can't have it all, maybe that like whole thing crumbled, but like it keeps coming back and good things do come out. Well, it's structurally made not to work, you know it structurally made to fuck up your life.
Speaker 2: But it must have done something. I just never worked in the corporate world. But I do feel like you you can dress different now, like you don't have to heel like there is something going on. I think there's a little more protections. I think men might be a little more scared to hug or touch.
Speaker 4: But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. Also, thank you to whoever got me my heated rivalry lighter. I have been using it, so thanks. And also shout out to the listener I ran into at soul Cycle Fun.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, actually huge news.
Speaker 2: So Hudson Williams, like a few months ago was seen maybe it wasn't like time is not real anymore, but he was seen in this fun outfit with this bag, and I was like, I want it. I want this look. So I sent it to my stylist. I was like, this is the this is the inspo for the summer. So I'm working on getting that together. Can't find the shorts yet, but this I'm not buying a Balenciaga bag. So I did find a fake on DHG, but like you know, I'm not good with technology errors, like it stressed me out. A girl walks into Soul Cycle and I go, is that the Balanciaga I truly was Giselle and Devilwar's product.
Speaker 4: Like I was just like, is that the Balanciaga bag?
Speaker 2: And she goes, yeah, it's a fake And she ordered me one from China and I've venmoed her and I'm gonna have this bag and I think it's gonna change my life.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm gonna cycle.
Speaker 1: You guys all look out for each other, like truly, what the hell.
Speaker 4: That's so good?
Speaker 1: Because like I'm just saying, like I worry about you ordering from the wrong Chinese site and something going bad and you being like, well they took my credit card number, and now like you know so for sure? Yeah no, She's like I got a girl, but it's this gorgeous like bigger bad. It's gonna open, it's gonna fit my books, it's gonna look so good, like I can't wait. Wow, You're just like you have to actually like yeah, this is functional, like not like wearable tech, but like this has to accommodate your new lifestyle. You have to have like fast, It's like carrying the books.
Speaker 2: It's actually and everyone keeps writing to me like I don't I've never heard of the Kindle invention, like we don't like you know what I mean, Cause I did make a video. I go, fuck, like I wanted to wear a cuter purse today, but I can't because I have to carry this book around and people are like Kindle, Kindle, and it's like no, my purses are tinier than I want, Like fuck, I know what I don't want that.
Speaker 4: I want the book, yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Book, yeah, yeah, And I think even like a little tell far is not going to fit a kindle so exactly.
Speaker 4: So I had to like bring out my Mark Jacob's bag out. But this new one's going to really flip the script.
Speaker 2: I like the way you reacted about the soul cyculture, like that's so perfect, Like I was, I see it all in my head, you being like what and her being like stop and like taking out her phone and like ordering it for you right there, Like I love it, even if that's not how it happened. Don't tell me that, no, And then I sent her the photo of Hudson with the bag and she goes, why do you think I.
Speaker 4: Bought the bag. I go, no, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: Of course you're meeting your people because these are the same people that go.
Speaker 4: To the heater rivalry rides. I would ASSU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're right now, we're in a we're in a different word. Yes, I hope to get more. Not everyone is mentally unwell like me.
Speaker 1: It's like, but plenty are plenty are Okay, let's get going to our what would su your peg do? This is and rape is bad? Yeah? Yeah, I mean that's and I guess you in in this episode, right.
Speaker 2: But we didn't even talk about the sixty two million.
Speaker 4: Hits on the rape website oh my, which isn't even news.
Speaker 2: I feel like that came out a few months ago to like like there was a different website, Like are we just two in the know? Like I was like, this is I mean, I'm glad people are like reacting I guess attention to it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that was when I saw that. I was like, yeah, didn't we know that?
Speaker 1: But then different people that are like outside of just my normal fred, like friends that are hyper feminists were sharing it and I was like, Okay, the word is out.
Speaker 4: The word is out that the men are bad. On the internet.
Speaker 1: Did you also see the thing where Giselle Pelico was like doing an interview in The Little Boy, So why did you keep your last name?
Speaker 4: I did, but I didn't watch it. Oh it was just really cute.
Speaker 1: So she just was like I did it for my children and my grandchildren, and like this case is like well known and I want people to know like what happened, Like you know, She's just so like like inspiring honestly, but like the Little Boy was like there and I was like, I'm glad that at least one little boy is in the room and kind of has some like context of like what this woman went through, hopefully not all the details, but like you know, and asked for this question and she like responded to him. It was so cute in French, of course, which I know we had some French in this episode and it wasn't your favorite.
Speaker 4: But okay, let's get to what would ineter peg do.
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we direct you to a book, an article, an organization something to give you more info about what we talked about in today's episode. And this week I wanted to point you guys to this segment from the Ted Radio hour episode How does Your Brain Perceive the World, And the segment is called We're Told eyewitness testimony isn't really, but new science says it might be. And it's a lecture given by a psychology professor named John Wixted who says that throughout the course of a criminal investigation and an eyewitnesses memory can be influenced and altered, but under the right conditions that testimony can be reliable. And the talk goes on to explore how memory gets contaminated over time with different ideas and influences being introduced, but an uncontaminated, fresh eyewitness statement can still be very accurate. So if you want to listen to the talk, head over to MPR dot org. The link is in our show notes and it will be posted in a story on our Instagram over it that's messed Up pod and all of our wwspds get saved in a highlight on our Instagram page named as such, and you can always check out what we've posted for episodes past.
Speaker 2: And next week we will be doing Mia Kulpa and that's going to be season twenty, episode nine, and I'll say the crime can't wait.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the crimes a goodie. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 4: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Duc dun