Speaker 1: You're pulling back the curtain there now a member of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Ryan, Great to be with you. I see the helmet behind you. Man, a Packers fan. That's tough this year. I'm a Broncos fan. Let's not get me started on that. Good to be with you. Happy, Happy that you're with us here on Fould Territory. What are you most excited about as being a part of the Pirates. I saw that you said, raise the Jolly Roger. What are you looking forward to?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Guys? Thanks for having me. That was a That was a cool intro right there. That's new. Yeah, No, thinks are good. Uh Packers at least, I mean they kind of fall apart at the end, but they're always always seemed to be in it most of the season, so it'll keeps you entertained all off season and then just that big letdown. But uh yeah, I'm excited Pirates are you know, I think a sneaky good team and they've made and moves this offseason, and you know, I don't know what they got coming next that they're gonna do anything else, but it seems to be a good group. And uh yeah, everybody I've talked to has been great. I'm looking forward to getting out of Bradenton.
Speaker 4: Before we dig into baseball. Bear down Okay, I was at that second, dude. Okay, that's it, that's all. Yeah, Well they got him in the right year. Okay, they beat him twice at the end of the year, and that's all that matters. That's all that anybody remembers is the Bears knocked the Packers out of the playoffs. Again. That's the when you make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So per Packer fans look so much further than our two games against the Bears, Like it's like whatever, it's another game for you guys. It's like, if you lose, it's the end of the world. If you win, you know you're gonna have this great celebration after the other head coach Like whatever, don't get me started on that. My sister's married to a Bear fan, so I got to hear about it all the time.
Speaker 4: So he's a smart one in the family. That makes sense. That makes sense. How excited for you for the Packers to finish nine six and nine, seven and nine and seven again last year and get the seventh seed losing the first round. No, just kidding because we know that's gonna happen. The Bears are going to win the division again. It's fine, we get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but at least will be in the playoffs. The Bears may or may not make the playoffs like they may define. Anyways, I'll see you.
Speaker 2: I'm a Seahawks fan now.
Speaker 3: Anyway for the Super Bowl, I'd love to see the Seahawks win.
Speaker 4: Anyways, we had a whole thing on it yesterday, so because we had Adam Jude from Seattle on. So, how honestly you said you're excited to get the brand? Didn't What was it about the Pirates that made you want to go there? Because for so long it has not been a destination for veteran guys like you looking to win. So what's changed about the Pirates When they called you? Ben Sherrington calls your agent says we want you to come to Pittsburgh and you said, yes, sir.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I could. That's fair. You know, the Pirates have they won seventy one games last year they didn't you know, they haven't been very good. But if you look at the team, like there is a lot of good players and starting with the Cy Young winner, you know what I mean, Like that's a big deal. And then on top of that, they have good arms behind them. I think, you know, at the top of my list was like I want to join a team that a really wants me and thinks that I can be like their guy in the middle of the lineup, you know, and then on top of that a team that could pitch well. So like I'm looking at my options, and then I'm like really looking at this Pirates roster. There they had good pitching stats last year for a team that took last place in the l Central. So it's like, Okay, maybe they need some offense and I could be that guy. And then that trade happens. They add Brandon Lau, a hitter who I've admired for a while, seen him a lot in the Al East, and and so I'm like all right, And then you know, Ben's been great. We have really good communication with him, and he made it clear to me that like, hey, we're not done, We're still moving to you know, we're trying to make this team better. And you know what, agent, I bought in and I'm fully bought in, and I'm excited to be a Pirate. And I think we're gonna go out surprising people.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to be bought in.
Speaker 5: That's awesome, Like anybody that says, right, I wasn't. That was my original team that I that I got called up. I got caught up with all the really good players that started that run. McCutcheon, Pedro Alvarez, Garrett Jones, Jamison ty On was was later than that, but like you know, Garrett Cole a little bit after that. So yeah, I was. I was there. The fans are amazing. But the history when when Ryan O'Hearn says, I had the largest free agent contract in the history of the Pirates, did you have to take a back a little bit when your agent called and said, you'll never believe it, but the Pirates are really in, like they might be one of the top three here because it just hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: It just hasn't happened. You've been in the game, you watched the game.
Speaker 5: Did were you a little taking a back before you started really talking to Ben Cherrington and hearing what their plan and vision was?
Speaker 3: Uh? Yeah, for sure, because I mean, you know, like you said, I don't remember I didn't even remember the last multi year contract given to a free agent of the Pirates. I was like, I mean, I know they got O'Neil Cruz. I know they got Brian Reynolds, I know they got Paul Schimes, and you know, I'm like going down the list and I'm like, these are all like homegrown guys. I couldn't remember the last time that they went out and got like a And I'm not a big free agent by any means. I don't want to say like I'm just like massive free agent because I wasn't. But I you know, I had a few options. It wasn't like that was my only option. I think I was in that price range of like, hey, you know, maybe I could A good amount of teams could come after me. But yeah, I was a little bit surprised. And then, you know, like you said, like initially, maybe you're my reaction wasn't like, oh yeah, I'm gonna like this is a playoff team and like this is you know it was. It took some digging, I think into the team to realize like they're not as far away as maybe the perception is. And then, like I said, the loud trade, like that was a big deal for me. That definitely moved the needle talking to like I said, talking to Ben Cherrington and he was, you know, pretty like straightforward, like, hey, we're not done. We want to get better. And you know, as you guys know, like you'd love to hear that as a player, like you want to join a team that wants to continue to add and you know, make the team good. Like I want to be competitive. I want to get a chance to win. I'm getting older. I don't know how many years of this I have to go. So I want to be on a team that's got a shot. And I think it'd be really fun if I could, you know, myself and Brandon lou could come to a team that maybe needs some offense, that already had some good pitchers, and you know, we could make something special happen. Right. This is a lot of talking, but like we've got to go play the games. So like, you know, I'm hyping the Pirates all off season and I love it, but every time I do it, I get off and I go, yeah, we got to go play the games now, Like that's yeah.
Speaker 5: But they've done things, they've done things, They've done things every year. We're like, golly, if you can build a team around around Paul Skins. I mean, look at what the Tigers did. I'm not saying the guys on the Tigers aren't good. I'm saying with Arrek Scugle, they've built a team around Trek scouble and they don't have elite superstars. They don't have you know, the craziest dudes that are out there. They have good players, but you can build a team around a pitcher like Paul Skeen. So they have done that. But we are friends here. You need to tell us what the other teams were that.
Speaker 2: Were on you. What is the what were the options and how did that come? Because I asked everybody, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what the protocol is on that. I feel like that's I can't say. I feel like that's like why, I don't know why it's like that, but you know it's like that, like I can't sit here and be like, well, yeah, this team offered me this, and the offer me that I know you would love to know. Maybe I'll tell you off.
Speaker 5: Camera, Okay, text me. That's fine. I won't tell anybody because it's some like great dark secret to me. I think that grows the game. Obviously, I'm not going to go on a soapbox. But I think it's like, oh crap, like we were Team X is a fan that they're watching and they're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, we almost have Rhyan o'harn.
Speaker 5: And then when Ryan O'Hearn makes the All Star team halfway through the year, would have loved that left handed bat in our lineup.
Speaker 2: And it kind of creates some intrigue and it makes your team cry in.
Speaker 3: I get it. I don't want to be the first guy to be.
Speaker 2: Like right, I'm not mad.
Speaker 1: He's always trying to get dudes in trouble all the time.
Speaker 6: That's there.
Speaker 3: I know it, both of them, both Aj and Craft.
Speaker 2: I will not do that to you.
Speaker 1: I will not do that to you. What do you prefer place outfield?
Speaker 3: D H.
Speaker 1: You're one of those guys that can bring several gloves to the field, your versatile. People love that pencil you in because you constantly put But if you had to choose something that you really enjoy playing, what is it?
Speaker 3: I like playing first? Uh? Yeah, I've always liked playing first. I think it's a position I'm like the best at.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm not like I can go out there and play right field if need be, But I would definitely prefer to play first base. And then you know, you sprinkle in like a day game d H every now and then. I'm not mad at it.
Speaker 1: Get you off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's nothing better than a spa day before a day game. DH.
Speaker 2: Wow, spoken like a true superstar.
Speaker 3: Look at me.
Speaker 2: I got a deal.
Speaker 5: I get it, I get it. There's there's a lot going on around in Pittsburgh. You were just at the fan fest. Correct, you're at Pirate Fest.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't make it because we had a snowstorm, Bunce, I couldn't get out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, okay, so you didn't make it. But there's a lot of talk about the fact that Cutch hasn't signed back yet from the guys that you've talked about, because you there's a bunch of really good dudes that are up there that that are in Pittsburgh. Like what have you heard as far as like, hey, we really love as players, we'd really love to have cutchback because he did this, or you watching him from Afar, a guy that's a previous a former MVP, like watching him and what he could add to a team, even if it's on a one year deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think one thing is like, as it stands right now, I'm the oldest guy on the team, and I hate that, Like I think, and I'm not that old, So I mean, I think there is something to be said for adding you know, veteran guys. Also like Andrew McCutcheon is like, you know, his he should have a retired number in the stadium. So like a guy like that, you know, obviously commands the respect of guys in the clubhouse, the fans love him, things like that. So I mean, it's I'm at the GM. I'm not gonna you know, tell be like we need to sign this guy or we need to not like that's not my job. But I will say I would love to play with Cotch and like I got a lot of obviously got a ton of respect for him, and I've watched him, you know, forever, going back as a pirate, you know. And then yeah, I feel like it's weird to see him in any other Jersey. But yeah, no, I would love to play with Catch. I would love to play I'd love to play with any guy who's like that level of established. Obviously you don't even want to play with players that you grew up in.
Speaker 2: Myrine that that leads me into my next question. Who.
Speaker 5: I feel like I know the answer, but maybe you'll have a creative answer. Who do you want to see consistently for one hundred and sixty two games? And I get it, Schiens doesn't play one hundred and sixty two if you make it Schimes. But I think there's some guys on other teams that you're like, go Lee, like that dude on this roster, Like I wonder what he really looks like day in and day you only see him six times a year, three times a year or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think there's an obvious answer in O'Neil Cruz, like who I want to see the guy that hits up all one hundred and twenty five miles an hour up close? I want to see what that looks like, you know, and like just on a day to day it was his cage routine. Look like I know he's got an absolute hose. I want to see him throw the ball from centerfield. So that's one, And I mean that's pretty obvious. I don't I'm not a huge like prospect guy, like I'm you know, I love the prospect thing, like I've got a chance to play with quite a few number one prospects, and it's kind of like, yeah, I see, I'll see when you get here. Connor Griffin. The stuff that I've seen from this guy, he looks like an absolute free show. So I think it'll be fun to see him in spring training and just kind of see, you know what it looks like taking ground balls. I want to see. I want to see all of it. You know, he's apparently he's got like tools for days. There was some quote the other day that I saw that was like, he reminds me of a young a Rod and he's gonna be like Bobby Witt in the show, which is like, Uh, It's kind of stresses me out for him because that's such a like, you know, put add so much pressure. But I just want to watch him go play, no pressure or nothing like that, just like see the tools come out, and I'm excited to see him in spring training.
Speaker 5: You came from Birdland, but some people would have called it prospect Land. So you're talking about you're talking about Jackson, you're talking about Gunner, you're talking about Adlie, you're talking about what do you need to see from Connor Griffin to say that's a little bit different. That's a little bit of Gunner, that's a little bit of ADLEI like, if you could take a if you could take a snap or a little piece of each of those guys and be like, wow, that would make because each of those guys has had their moments, but Gunner is the only one that has like top three MVP votes. And it's like this guy they're talking about him as Mike Trout as a short stop. What do you need to see from Connor that you're like, Okay, I saw some prospects, but this is a real deal.
Speaker 3: You know. What I want to see is I want to see him come in and just like completely be himself. I don't want to see a guy that like looks like he's trying to like impress somebody or please you know, coaches or whatever. I want to see a guy who comes in, he knows he's the dude, and he just does it and he's just him and it's easy and that's how goes. I want to see great at bats. Obviously he's got stupid tools. So if there was like one like tangible thing, it's like I'd like to see him like get into an O two count battle, you know, his ass off and then get a knock like put together quality, tough at bats. But as far as like the whole package, like just come in and be yourself, man, let it fly. I want to I want to see what it looks like at close. That's a guy I'm really excited for. Did you guys think I was going to ask that answer that because you got all these graphics of him ready to go.
Speaker 5: Every show, every show we talk about, we talk about Connick Griffin. He's I mean, we had take Magnemon yesterday, Like we're we're talking, we're chatting.
Speaker 3: My prospect knowledge isn't very good, so that's that's cool to hear. I mean, I just know he's like the number one guy.
Speaker 4: We've had a lot of pirates on lately, a lot of pirates, a lot of powers.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Ryan, which current or former teammate of yours has the craziest workout routine?
Speaker 6: And why is it?
Speaker 1: Tyler O'Neill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got biceps for sure. Uh yeah, it's I mean, it could definitely be him. He Unfortunately, he was hurt quite a bit last year, so I don't think I got to see the full show but yeah, that guy's absolutely shredded.
Speaker 1: Have you been to the Roberto Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh yet?
Speaker 3: No, I need you.
Speaker 1: It is a top absolute, top top five, top three thing you have to do on an off day if you have an opportunity. It's just it's just super super super cool. And Pittsburgh, let me tell you, is a very underrated city. It is a sneaky, sneaky cool city.
Speaker 3: Yeah I was. I mean, I've only played there three times, so like that's my excuse for not having been to the museum. But I will go to the museum, I promise, And yeah, I would agree. The city is beautiful, the rivers, the bridges like it's it's a cool place, and I'm you know, I'm excited to get out there and kind of get the full experience. I like the division, like it's a great place is to hit in that division. I think PNC itself is a great place to hit. The idea of like hitting a ball into the river is really fun. I never hit a ball in Utah Street, unfortunately, and that's gonna bother me. So I got to get one in the river.
Speaker 4: By the way, French Fries belong on sandwiches or on the side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's the deal with that?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 3: That's just like you.
Speaker 4: Do they belong on the sandwich or do they belong on the side? Are they?
Speaker 3: Man, I'm gonna make the people Pittsburgh mad, I think, but they belong on the side. What are we doing?
Speaker 4: Listen, you made the rest of the world mad by being a Packers fan, so I mean we might as least Pittsburgh to the list too.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna both. By the way, I did a zoom call on the Pirates vest and for like in front of a crowd. They put me up and I was getting like booed for this right here. Uh huh, it's not moving. It's gonna be there. I can scoot over a little bit, but it's now. Don't don't.
Speaker 5: Just like you said, Connor needs to be himself. You be yourself and tell them when they start mowing, tell them when they start booing.
Speaker 2: Be like I signed a two year deal. You gonna deal with my ugly faced the whole for two years.
Speaker 3: You got to deal with his mug for two years, there's no doubt. But and also Aaron Rodgers signed that helmet, so uh, that's it.
Speaker 4: Might you more. Now, they might bow you more.
Speaker 3: Now we're open to having him back.
Speaker 1: All right, good luck to you. We're excited for your new adventure in the Steel City. Appreciate you taking the time. Anytime we can have athletes on, current athletes, not these two, but anytime we can have current athletes on, we appreciate it very much. Good luck to you, and we will we will chat with you soon.
Speaker 3: All right. I always enjoyed coming on. Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: Look looking, fella. I didn't realize that Jake Mangan was this good looking. I'm just gonna stare into.
Speaker 6: Him as a handsome fellow.
Speaker 3: Yes, right now, we.
Speaker 7: Just we just finished up some Live at BATS but I had to run out of here and uh, you know, hop on the call.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you guys for having me.
Speaker 8: Well, we appreciate you for jumping on.
Speaker 3: Sorry for the mix up.
Speaker 8: We told everybody about it, yes, stakes we tell everybody everything on this show.
Speaker 3: But let's get right to the good stuff. How was Live BP?
Speaker 6: It was good?
Speaker 7: Actually, Connor Griffin joined me, and Connor Griffin got in there today. Yeah, I know, right, Connor Griffin, he's uh, he's uh, he is fun to watch man.
Speaker 6: He is. He's a freak talent.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you get any hits?
Speaker 2: Did you do anything good?
Speaker 4: Because Krotts has this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I went to high school in.
Speaker 4: Mississippi, can actually hit okay, and you like, wow, you know.
Speaker 6: Made some contact.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's a hit or not, but but we'll count it. I thought Connor got one. He said he capped it, but I thought he got one.
Speaker 5: Do you have track, man, I mean that's the only way kids now they hit one good.
Speaker 7: No, this was old school, just straight up on the mound in the box with a catcher and we just catch a call, balls and strikes.
Speaker 5: It's good that you only got a you made contact. Nobody ever makes the team a live VP. Nope, not one person has ever. I've seen do mashing live BP and swing and miss and the opposite is what happened. So you know that you're totally fine till Connor, who's totally fine.
Speaker 6: Touch the ball. So we're good there. Well, we'll head to camp this weekend.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna go down early because it's too cold for you, or because you like getting there early, especially with a new team.
Speaker 6: I like getting down there early.
Speaker 7: New team I'd like to make some new relationships with the coaches and stuff and just get to know some players. But yeah, I've always had down there a couple weeks early, and you know, I got a lot of new faces to meet and a lot of people to meet.
Speaker 4: All Right, So who's better? You were Connor, you guys same high school? Right, Jackson Prep? You guys are Mississippi boys. I mean, who's bad?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: Your teammates?
Speaker 7: I'm biased, but I'll say the twenty thirteen through fifteen Jackson Prep Patriots were better than their teams at Jackson Prepp. I think that there's a big debate at the school about who was better. But I think our three teams thirteen to fifteen were better than the.
Speaker 6: Than their crews.
Speaker 4: Who else did you guys have?
Speaker 6: My team?
Speaker 7: Noah Hughes, Parker, Krazy Jean Wood. They all went on to play in the SEC. Parker played for the Blue Jays minor league system for a while. We had some younger guys on the team, Will Warren, he's a big leaguer now with the Yankees. We had a couple other college guys that I'm leaving off, but it was it was a good crew man.
Speaker 4: All right, So then tell us about Connor. Tell us, I mean, I know you're gonna get this question. Tell us, what do we need to know about Connor Griffin as the number one prospect in all of baseball? What do we need to know about him?
Speaker 6: So here's what I got.
Speaker 7: I appreciate the fact that Connor works like he's not any good. He works his tail off, but then you watch him and he's a freak talent. Every time he swings, you can just hear the win from the bat, like just swings every living crap out of it with a short, compact swing. I think he could have played at the pro level in football, basketball, or baseball. So I'm I'm glad he picked baseball because he's you know, in our organization. But uh, he's a freak talent man. Like there's nothing he does that he doesn't just wow you. Lifting, jumping, throwing, swinging, like whatever he does, you're just like, oh my gosh, Like this guy's a freak.
Speaker 6: He could have done anything. I'm glad he picked baseball though, and.
Speaker 2: We hear he's a great dude.
Speaker 5: I coached him, ay j and I coached him for like two minutes at the All American Game out in Seattle. So yeah, I've seen it. I've seen it up close and personal. Whenever there's a freak talent like that and you're like, aren't you a little bit like? Hey, what does he do wrong?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 5: What's his one downfall? What's Connor Griffin's one downfall?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 6: That he committed to LSU and not Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: There you go, Oh, there you go.
Speaker 6: Maybe I saw that's all I got, That's.
Speaker 2: All I had, more money everybody.
Speaker 5: I always ask that question when people talk about Mookie Betts, and I'm not saying Connor Griffin's gonna be Mookie Betts. They think he's more of like Mike Trout as a shortstop. But I would say that about Mookie Betts, like everyone's like, he could do anything really good.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what's the one thing he doesn't do well? Does he?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Is he a bad singer? Does Connor Griffin sing?
Speaker 6: Never heard him sing? But uh? I asked our high school coach at Jackson Prep.
Speaker 7: I was like, man, what do you who's his comp And his answer was, and this is Jay Powell, the pitching coach at Prep. He Jay Powell pitched Game seven for the Marlins when they won the World Series Big long pro career. H Jay Powell's answer was, I've never seen anyone like him too, comp's and his answer is his comp is Connor Griffin. So, uh, that's a pretty unique thing. Uh. I'm excited to get down to Braidon to know and keep working with Connor and and you know, keep bouncing stuff off each other and keep learning.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to you, Jake.
Speaker 5: Let's get to the fact that you now got traded over to the Pittsburgh Rates where Connor Griffin hopefully we'll make the team and everything. But you're a guy that they traded for. When the Pirates did trade for you, what did they say? What did they say they need from you or want from you? Because this is why you weren't just to throw in him because you had a really, really awesome year last year.
Speaker 2: What did they tell you?
Speaker 7: Well, first off, all of them were telling me how they're they're they're ready to take the next step as a as a team, and that they're making a push to go win. It was an honor to be in a trade. Would be be Lao and Mason Montgomery. Blao was someone as a rookie last year, I looked up to and he kind of led our clubhouse. I relied on Blao a lot, and the fact that he's coming over is making this change.
Speaker 6: A lot easier for me. But they told me to continue to play my ball.
Speaker 7: I told them that there's some changes I'm trying to make, not changes, but just try to get better. Like like there's things that I left on the field last year that I felt like I could get better at. As a twenty nine year old rookie, last year, I was just trying to survive. I was doing whatever it took to stay another day in the big leagues. And what I quickly learned was is that the it's a completely different level in Triple A. The talent is it's a big talent jump. But the Pirates told me was be ready to play left field and center field, and you know, we have a lot of space out there. They said, left fields almost like another center field at PNC, So I need to go track some balls down. And they told me that they wanted me to continue to hit for a high average. And you know, obviously as the competitors we are, I'm trying to figure out how to slug the ball a little bit better and work more walks. There's some low hanging fruit that I had last year that I felt like I could get better at. And with a year of the big league experience, I feel like I had a great off season of working on that.
Speaker 4: Jack centerfield O Neil Cruz's.
Speaker 6: No, no no.
Speaker 7: They said left field and centerfield, so just kind of bouncing around up between the two.
Speaker 4: Okay, have you not you should fly to Pittsburgh and make Don Kelly come in and hit your fung goes out.
Speaker 2: In left field. He would love him, absolutely love that. Right now.
Speaker 6: I met DK this past weekend at Pirate Fested. He is awesome. I really enjoyed talking to him.
Speaker 7: He he It's so cool to me that he's from Pittsburgh, with the college in Pittsburgh, debuted with Pittsburgh, and now he's the manager of the Pirates. Like if you mix all those things together, it's like, oh my gosh, dude, Like that's like that's got to be a dream come true for him for sure.
Speaker 4: For sure. All Right, so Pittsburgh, what do you know? What else do you know about Pittsburgh other than PNC Park, Iron City Beer? Like, what's the first thing when you get to was it Preman Brothers right with the bad sandwich with French fries on. It's not just not good, but I like sandwich.
Speaker 7: Does and I like French fries, so I need to try it at least I haven't tried it yet.
Speaker 6: But uh, what I learned was is man, Pittsburgh fans are die hard, Like they're all at FanFest.
Speaker 7: They're all in black and gold, like whether it's Penguin Steelers or Pirate's stuff, they're die hard. They're really knowledgeable about Pittsburgh and knowledgeable about the teams. They really want a winner and man like it's a It's a really cool spot. P and C is gorgeous too, like the field walking out there, like the backdrop was so cool.
Speaker 5: Do you ever think you were gonna get traded as a rookie? I mean, I get it, people don't know you're twenty nine years old, and I have to officially say today this is gonna hurt AJ's feelings. You're a grinder because you grinded through the minor leagues. People grind in baseball. AJ says he grinded, but you're a true grinder, So congratulations. I rarely bestow that on anybody. But did you think you were get traded?
Speaker 6: Uh No, I wasn't expecting to get traded.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: But funny story here, Aj, I actually wore some cleats that were custom made for you when I was a kid.
Speaker 4: Dude, everybody like cleats, everybody.
Speaker 6: I don't know how I got them.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but when I was in high school playing summer ball, I wore your cleats with your name on it.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 7: I played for Dueling Dodgers in Memphis, Tennessee. I don't know how I got the cleats too, but that's that's a crazy story.
Speaker 6: I just remember putting them all and be like, these are the coolest things ever.
Speaker 4: But says I didn't give any anything away. We had Foster gribbin on you the other days. Like I wore your cleats, they were the wrong size. I mean, we've had dudes, warrior gloves, your cleats, your shoes, everything.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't know how I came across them, but I wore the crap out of them when I was in high school in summer ball.
Speaker 6: But uh, uh No, I wasn't expecting to get traded.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: But the twenty nine year old rookie thing. It was tough.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 7: I get drafted sophomore junior, senior year of college, stay till my senior year at twenty three years old. My twenty four year old gets scrapped because of COVID. So I'm starting low a baseball and ash fell in North Carolina at twenty five years old, and I just remember calling my dad saying right before the game, I was like, Dad, if I don't hit right now, I'm going to be out of this thing very fast. So but luckily was able to hit my way through the minors and got a shot last year at twenty nine years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what did the raise?
Speaker 2: Oh? Sorry, Chrits go ahead.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I was just gonna say, what what would you tell yourself? Because you were a completely different organization when when you first broke into the minor leagues? What would you tell yourself now as a twenty three year old would you would you agree with your with your assessment that you had to hit right now based on the journey that you've taken.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: At my age and where I was at, I couldn't afford a bad year. I think I felt like one bad year I would have gotten cut So you know, when I kept coming back to school as a draft eligible sophomore, I got drafted by the yet Yankees, Mets, Mets, and I just kept saying, like, it's hard, hard for me to leave Mississippi State. I'm from here. This is you know, worn and raised here. Really wanted to bring a national championship there. We fell short of that. But yeah, I'd say, man, you got to hit immediately. You have to have good years or you're not going to be able to afford a bad one. So I just say the same thing I told myself back then. It's like you can hit, like, go hit, go get base hits and help the team win ball games.
Speaker 6: And good things happened.
Speaker 7: But you know, kept going back to school and I knew i'd started a little bit later, but having faith that I was going to hit through the minors, and you know, good Lord will when I was able to do that. So now I'm trying to have a good MLB career and take the next step as a big leaguer.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to get to Mississippi State before you get off the air, don't worry. But what what did people that don't know you started with the match you ended up coming up with the Rays for the first time. What were the Rays like? Because I always everyone wants to be the Raise organization, right every your team is like, oh, we want to be like the Rays. So what was the race secret? Sauce you're not there anymore, you can tell us.
Speaker 7: They're really detailed in what they do, you know, when it comes to like defense and base stealing, like like, we would always have a game plan going into the game, and they worked on things that you needed to get better at that you weren't expecting, Like my release time needed to get better in the outfield.
Speaker 6: That's not anything I was always.
Speaker 7: Thinking, I got to get the arms stronger, or we need to work on throwing harder. But we found a way to kind of get my release time quicker, finding little things on when to run and when to not run on the bases. Offensively, their philosophy with me was just they really leaned into what I did well. They told me to go hit for a high average and steal bases, and the razor open to winning in any way. They want to have guys that hit for average and hit for power and play good defense and always the staples pitch well. Because I feel like, if you want to win, you gotta have good pitching. But they leave no stone unturned. Really, they're finding any which way to get it in to get an advantage.
Speaker 5: Twenty seven bags. Can you eclipse that? Or are you already on the age curve where speed's gonna start going down?
Speaker 7: You know, I always say I I was a late bloomer, so I'm going to be a late ager. So I feel young this offseason and really working on my running. I missed a month in May, so hopefully I can stay healthy all year and try to get to thirty at least thirty backs.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: Go you go be you No, listen, you said you couldn't leave Mississippi State, all right. My daughter she went there for one year, played volleyball. She couldn't wait to leave Mississippi State. So I don't know, maybe it's because you're from Mississippi or not. My daughter's from Florida. She now goes to a real school. But I just want to say this. I was at the Mississippi State Florida game, and I don't know, you probably have not heard this, but I had a bet with one of the players on Mississippi State that the loser had to get a tattoo of the other team's school. Thank god, that's your quarterback through that pick at the end of the game, because otherwise I would have had to get a tattoo. And I was on the field watching that game with my daughter and she was rubbing it in my face that I would have to get a tattoo and then the guy through the pick. So I just want to say thank you to you and to every other Mississippi State fan out there, thank you.
Speaker 7: I was also at that game, and that one's stung. That one stung really bad. Felt like we could have made the field goal right there. But you know, I love it.
Speaker 6: I loved it. I'm from Mississippi. We don't have pro sports.
Speaker 7: We have one double A team in Biloxi now, the Biloxi Shuckers. Outside of that, like the whole state kind of rallies behind the colleges. There's a lot of great baseball in Mississippi, and it was just hard for me to leave home.
Speaker 6: You know, I felt like, you know, there's me that.
Speaker 7: You commit to a four year school and you get punished for staying four years the way you know, it's structured with senior signs. I get out all works, but you know that that always upset me a little bit. But yeah, it was hard for me to leave Man, But loved it there. Love my time there, And I tell every baseball fan it should be a bucket list thing. If you love baseball, go check out a game at Dude Noble Field and there's it's a really unique environment.
Speaker 2: All right, One last thing.
Speaker 5: It brought to my mind when you said Don Kelly, you're like he stayed in Pittsburgh. He's now coaching in Pittsburgh. He grew up in Pittsburgh. He also married Pittsburgh Royalty. He married Neil Walker's sister. So let's just put it this way. If you are going to lose your job this year, it's probably going to be to DK's kids because their lineage of athleticism is ridiculous. But there's another there's another layer to add on to the DK, the DK mystery that is his glorious life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I met his wife with him this weekend. They were awesome.
Speaker 7: They said something like she went to a rival high school or something. If I'm not mistaken, So like, the whole story behind that is unbelievable, like like that that really is like got to be a dream come true for him, Like to stay home debut, where you lived, with the college all that stuff. Dude, the story is unbelievable. And uh, it was awesome meeting all the guys. The team seems awesome. Everyone seems really driven and really ready to you know, all work really hard to bring a winning product to Pittsburgh. So we're gonna do all we can to do that and hopefully have a great year.
Speaker 8: We're excited about it. Jake, bring it. Bring all the passion and the energy. The fan base is starving for some winning baseball. We all know that.
Speaker 4: What AJ asked K asked DK about the story I told him about when he played for Jim Leland. I told him at this weekend at the awards ceremony when Sken's got us so young, ask him, ask him if he's going to talk like that as a manager, and he'll know the story when when you see him, just say hey, I heard, oh Joe Jim Leland story. And just if you don't laugh about that one, then you're not You're not a baseball player.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: I'll check it out when we get down to Bradenson. I'll check it out. I'll remember that.
Speaker 2: Coming back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last question, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know, man, I've never met Couch, like I said, new to the organization, but you know, I know he's passionate about Pittsburgh and I know he's a pirate legend. So uh, we're all on board, pulling the same side of the rope, trying to win ball games in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 6: So so we'll see all right.
Speaker 8: Jay, hope you enjoyed it, man, great chat, and we'll see in spring training.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you guys for having me. We'll see all in Bradenton.