Speaker 1: So to be fair, I got a text from Terrell yesterday. Yesterday, so that was two days ago in today's time, because this is coming out on Tuesday, and Torell was in Chocolate City. He was in the Nation's capital watching a little w NBA, watching our Undermachine aka the DC Mystics, Washington Mystics versus the Chicago Sky And I said, well, do I have him in the studio. We can talk a little NBA draft here. So, without further ado, Terrell Furman again host the NBA and WNBA Sports Gambling Podcast. Check that out on the Sports Gambling Podcast Network. But you can get it on Spotify as well.
Speaker 2: Right, you can get wherever you usual podcast, your podcast, YouTube?
Speaker 3: Ay, do both YouTube, Spotify, Apple do all of itads.
Speaker 1: Complete combination for every every single device.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: What I think people should do too, is like just go into the Apple Store. Yeah, and download the podcast to the Apple phones.
Speaker 3: Oh podcast, Hey, go download the app. The app is an Apple Store too, SGPNR. Hey, I take any type of support.
Speaker 2: You can get, It's free.
Speaker 1: What is your overall I guess vibe of this draft stardom.
Speaker 3: This feels like stardom because you have the next carnation of Jesus walking on earth. Who is Victor wim Mignyana that has everybody made it seem like he's just automatically going to be great. And for one, if he's not good the first year, guys, please give him some time. He's still a center, like center is a hard position to learn in the NBA.
Speaker 2: But you have him. Then you have Scoot Henderson, who.
Speaker 3: Is a guy that if you ask anybody who watches Scoot Henderson, he is a number one overall pick. But unfortunately, because Jesus reincarnated walk that are forgetting Victor wm Binyonna, he is now being taught about. In number two with Brandon Miller. You go even further down and we'll talk about a guy that I like who was number one overall high school recruit and he's sliding in the draft. So this is just a draft full of stardom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think I wonder because there's so many teams that are rumored to be moving up and down the board that you wonder, is it a deep draft? Is it like a three four person star draft with a lot of good role players, Like if you were to assess how many guys outside of the top three actually start year one.
Speaker 3: We think outside of the top three, I think you have a lot of questions. I think that where the issue is gonna come is everybody wants to see those starters come in and average twenty points per game. If you're a big you're already in double double territory. I should be betting your double double every game.
Speaker 2: Like Evan Mobley. Look at Evan Mobley.
Speaker 3: Now he is a really really good starter. In his first year, you were like, Okay, this guy's all right. He averaged sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 2: That's that's really good for a pretty good player rookie.
Speaker 3: That's really good for a rookie NBA player like Palo ben Cao. He's been really really good and he's getting better, Like he's gonna be better next year.
Speaker 2: We have che Hulk, who we haven't.
Speaker 3: Even seen yet. Like they're all these players in the NBA. People want them to just come in and be those all star twenty plus thirty plus per game scores, and it's not just gonna happen like that, Like it takes time to actually develop a player like they did Evan Mobley and Cleveland and now Evan Mobley next year could be knocking on the door all stars out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you talk about Evan Mobley and that is just an interesting thing about bigs and bigs taking a long time to develop. Also, oshayok Baji like he came on late. He was really good. I liked him a lot at Kansas. So it's gonna be fascinating to see how many guys come in and contribute right away. Another storyline that's kind of circulating is just all these teams that have needs and they think are going to be active right Okay, See is rumored to want to move up New York. Knicks are rumored to want to go.
Speaker 2: No, no, they're not. They're not.
Speaker 1: You don't think they're gonna go first.
Speaker 2: Somebody wants to come New York. Nobody wants come to Okay.
Speaker 1: Toronto rumored to move up. Cleveland rumored to move up. If you had to give a guess, who do you think that's not in the top ten now moves into the top ten.
Speaker 2: Golden State. Wow, if you're done leaving, you have to make a splash. You have to.
Speaker 3: Bob Byers gave this organization four championships for like, if you're done leaving, you got to make a splash, and saying that Jordan Poole is coming back for the next four years is not the way to make that splash. As the first active new GM power in Golden State, I think it's one hundred percent Golden State.
Speaker 2: I think Golden States are.
Speaker 3: Buyers at the at the draft and they find their way in the top ten.
Speaker 1: Wow, Like, who who do you think they Who do you think they make a trade with? Because it can't be ten. I don't think Mavericks need a Jordan Pool. They're not going to probably try to move up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'd be surprised because they they could use some more death, especially for Dallas. But I'm looking at teams that kind of either got rid of their picks or they're just in this mode.
Speaker 2: Of stockpiling picks.
Speaker 3: Utah just feels like a team that's like, well, I mean, we're going nowhere fast, guys, so we might as well trade back. So Utah at nine is like the number one team I'm looking at. Washington didn't get a first round pick for Bradley Beal. We're gonna talk about that, but like.
Speaker 1: That would be interesting.
Speaker 3: So Washington could could move back, or Washington could just be a buyer and get somebody really good there.
Speaker 2: But Washington can move back.
Speaker 3: It's a couple of teams up there that I think would move back with the Golden State and Golden State take a Derek Lively the second. You know, probably the best defensive big in the draft class.
Speaker 1: So you really like Derek Lively. That hold on, let me let me wait on that one, because I think an interesting trade could be Wizards trade Chris Paul for and whatever, Chris Paul and the eight pick for Jordan Poole and whatever. Yeah, Golden State has are they seventeen eighteen?
Speaker 2: I think?
Speaker 3: And Chris Paul said he wants to go to a contender and still compete nineteen. You know, that's definitely in the wrong possibility. I think Chris Paul makes everything fun because you ought to like, he's worth some type of value. Everybody wants to devalue Chris Paul, and I completely understand it, but he's worth some type of value. So that with the first round pick is enticing to get a player that can come in your organization and play now.
Speaker 2: So we'll see.
Speaker 3: But oh man, the DC team very very poverty organizations. I don't think they're doing anything that's any benefit to them.
Speaker 1: You don't think even with Michael Winger coming in from the Clippers, which, by the way, the Clippers have made some really bad draft moves as well, underratedly bad draft moves. Obviously, moving Shay was was a terrible not only.
Speaker 2: Moving Shaye but giving up every single.
Speaker 1: Pick and Shae seven.
Speaker 3: We talked about it, and we talked about the worst trades one day and we said Rudy Gobert probably is going to go down as the worst ever. But nobody's talking about how bad that Paul George trade was and the fact that now Shay is a first teamer and he could potentially he almost led his team to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Like he almost led to his team to the playoffs.
Speaker 3: So I don't know that that Paul George trade is pretty pretty bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So okay, so let's talk a little bit about some of the teams that we think might be active. So what do you think Orlando's trying to do and how do you think they're trying to prioritize this draft because Palo said already that this year they have six and eleven. Palo said this year as playoffs or bust i really think this is a young team. We know that they've got the sixth pick and the eleventh pick, So do they package those picks to maybe try to get up into the top three to four? Do they sell off one of those picks for a veteran, Like what do you think? And obviously they're in need of a point guard, even though they have a million of them, they still need that and they need rim protection. So if you were to be a a better for what Orlando does, what do you think they do?
Speaker 3: I think D's in the situation where you can kind of just let the draft board fall to you, honestly, like if you want to make a splash play and go trade up into that top four. And it seems like, well, we know number one is not trading, and Charlotte has maintained that they're not going to trade their pick. I just saw today that Portland's said they're probably not going to trade their pick. I wouldn't be surprised if Houston tried to trade. But right now the top four, none of the top four teams are hurting for picks. Like everybody has an assortment of picks over the next few years. And that's what I'm looking for for teams that are looking to trade out of that top ten spot. Is what teams do not have picks coming up that would say, Okay, we can get another first round or this year, and I can get a first round or next year and replace some of those picks. And so I think they hold serve. I think they hold serve and they just let it come to them. Like you have a pretty good chance at number six to get one of the twins, well the lesser twin as some people say Asar So you still have a chance to get him. You have a chance to get Cam w Moore, you still have Anthony Black. It's a lot of really really good players. You talk about rim protection, Derek Livey's gonna be in there somewhere, And that's one of my teams that I have Lively going to if not trade at trade Yeah maybe at eleven. I don't think they would jump at six, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe at eleven.
Speaker 3: He could be there at eleven and just offer you that rim protection. Like everybody that needs rim protection, Dallas, Utah, Orlando, everybody should be looking at Derek Lively in that eight to eleven range. So I can see something like that, but I don't think they. I just can't see them making a trade with anybody unless somebody comes from behind and gives them two three extra picks.
Speaker 1: What do you think Derek g Liively is gonna be? Because the big man position is so polarizing, right, and you've got Derek Lively who's sort of kind of been creeping up the draft boards. A lot of teams like him. I'm just not a big fan of taking big men in the top ten, top twelve period because they're just such big bus potential, right. I love Duran, but I don't know that you should have taken him there. We'll see what he ends up being, Like James Wiseman, hasn't worked out, like a lot of these big men that are in the lottery don't end up working out very often right away. What do you like most about him?
Speaker 3: I like him more because of the situation I hate potentially go to and less about the player. So the player is an amazing player. We know he's a shot blocker average like some five point six rebounds in a whole bunch of blocks over during his time.
Speaker 2: And Duke hate the dookies.
Speaker 1: But that's like Mark Williams too, and he is just Trash and Charlotte.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's like it's the timing. Biggs take time to develop to the league, Like you can't just come into Polo can come into the league and he can give the league twenty Like if you watch Polo in summer League, you watched Polow in this rookie year, every one of his buckets were grown. Man, I'm gonna get a bucket bucket. Biggs don't get that opportunity, Like you have to learn defensive setups, you have to learn how to switch over. You got to learn the pick and roll and being able to guard the pick and roll, like, you got to learn all this stuff as a big and that doesn't just come in one season, Like a lot of that is trial and error, Like Rudy Gobert didn't come in and he looked didn't look like a defensive player of years first year, Draymond Green didn't look like a defenced player.
Speaker 2: Of the years first year. Like some of that stuff takes time.
Speaker 3: And so the issue that I had with Golden State when it was time and they picked wise men, was it a great pick for them, Yes, because they needed size, But there was no way Golden State was waiting for that because they're in a win now, more win now now MO terrible situation, but now wise men over there, and same thing with Duran them and Detroit, well, we don't got nothing to wait for. If y'all want to take three four years, then fine, bite be all that. So that's what I expect to see from Lively and somebody take from Lively because I think organizations understand that these bigs you gotta be patient with them, and if you're not gonna be patient, you don't need to take them. So a team like Orlando that's not going anywhere fast, no matter how much Polo wants to say that they are, they really really are, okay, they can take and invest more into them. A Golden State that is literally looks like they're kind of retooling things we just saw Draymond may potentially not be coming back.
Speaker 2: Is that news? Is that not news? We'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: But I mean, Derek Lively could be good there in a Golden State team that says, hey, we need a year or two to reset this thing. But just expecting him to come in and be this ultimate dominant defensive thing, I don't think it's gonna happen why.
Speaker 1: You think Walker Kessler developed so fast.
Speaker 3: I think it's because he's his offensive game and he was able to stretch the floor in how he was with that Utah Jazz team where it.
Speaker 2: Was go, go, go go. He was a big that can run the floor.
Speaker 3: He was a big that in our Auburn he was able to be able more on the offensive side and less about defense, Like we didn't really think of Walker Kessler as this big defensive shot blocking big like an are like a Evan Mobley. No, it was just more of, hey, this is another guy that's gonna be able to spread the floor with us. At the time, they thought they still had Rudy Gobert, so it was like, Okay, Ruby Gobert anchors, we have this kind of big lineup, and but Rudy Gobert goes all right, we bring in Walker Kessler. Walker Kesler is going to help us get more and more offense. So that was a lot easier for him. And then he's just a big guy, so he's able to dominate rebounding. But some of the little key things like as a big, Kessel still has to work on.
Speaker 1: But they I think he led the NBA though in blocks. Yeah, he was a defensive monster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I think that Kessler is now kind of I think that's kind of where everybody wants you to be. Is that kind of big that kind of comes in and turns it over quickly. But on a lot of other rosters, does he get that same opportunity to do that?
Speaker 2: Probably not.
Speaker 3: I think it just he got the perfect situation with no Rudy Gobert in Utah where they just said forget it. Hardy was just like, go play, go play, go, go do something, because we're not going to just sit here and tank all these games. And that's part of the reason why Utah was the best team as an underdog last season.
Speaker 2: Utah Jazz are inevitable.