Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, and welcome to Morning Run. It is Friday, December fifth.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy Roboch and I'm TJ Holmes.
Speaker 3: December fifth. Is that When is the official first day of winter?
Speaker 1: Oh? I don't think it's until December twenty second or something not so not today, even though it feels like twelve outside, No, it's still fall.
Speaker 3: It's rough. A lot of people are feeling it and dealing with it. This is some of the coldest temperatures we're going to see up the season. A lot of people are getting now and through the weekend with this cold front that's come through and it's freezing hand. We're getting out of town just in time for a little warm recliment. But wherever you may be, we appreciate you being here with us. The updates along on the Run this morning. We've got an update about the Texas redistricting battle. The Supreme Court has spoken. Another big name over CBS News is leaving. Also an update on Brian Walls. Day four of the trial saw this man's wife's lover testify. You can imagine those tense moments in that courtroom. The wife of that missing coach in Virginia is speaking out urging him to come home and also saying, hey, I ain't have anything to do with him getting away. Also update on Letitia James and Lebron James had a streak broken last night that we might never see again. Will explain. I hated to see it go, but it was kind of poetic. It was poetic about doing it.
Speaker 2: He chose it, he could, shows.
Speaker 3: He had an option and it ended up working out beautifully for the team. So it was a good moment.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a great moment if you're gonna end a streak ended with a gesture like he gave and certainly ended up being a game winning gesture. But we begin our run with an arrest made in a five year old case, a man accused of planting two pipe bombs outside National Headquarters of Dancy and RNC. This happened just before the January sixth Riots. But they have been searching for the culprit, the person behind these pipe bombs now for five years, and we've.
Speaker 3: Had video, the surveillance video of it. And yes, now Brian J. Cole Junior has been arrested. They haven't been clear about a motive because again I guess he was kind of a politically speaking, equal opportunity pipe bomber put something at the RNC and at the DNC. But they said there's a renewed effort they had and trying to track down and find this guy in Robes. Yes, there was so much intrigue because this did happen I think the day before the January sixth riot. So when it happened, everybody's putting together possible theories. Was there a connection and it doesn't, at least from what we're seeing right now. Robes seems to be the case.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sure we'll get many more details on this, but this was considered a coup of victory for the Trump administration after so many years of searching for this man.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they made clear, yes that Biden did nothing about it.
Speaker 1: Correct, And yes we had cash battel pambody everyone Oh yeah, patting themselves on the back on that one.
Speaker 3: So this is good the guy off the street, not if he's the guy and it's into a proven guilty, but could be a good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeap, all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, A grand jury has refused to re indict new York Attorney General Letitia James. So it's over right they're gonna stop. It should be now that they've had two knocks against Trump trying to criminalize or at least throw criminal charges at Letitia James.
Speaker 3: Yes, his political enemies, as they say, so the James Comy case and the Letitia James were cases worth thrown out. This had to do with the prosecutor that Trump actually put in place to go after them. A judge ruled she was unlawfully put in place, so everything she did essentially doesn't count. So the Letitia James indictment got thrown out. They tried again and a judge sent nine.
Speaker 2: The grand jury.
Speaker 3: The grand jury now nope, nip. So we don't know if they're going to go after again.
Speaker 1: This was all based on whether or not she lied on her mortgage application to get a lower interest rate basically than she would have gotten if it was her set at home or her main home.
Speaker 2: YadA, YadA, YadA. This is clearly an attempt.
Speaker 1: It was initially yes, as political retribution, but it's almost like they're going to keep trying to find ways. Her attorney was like, if they continue to pursue charges, it will be unheard.
Speaker 3: Of process point mortgage frow. Yes, apparently the administration just believes black women be lying on their mortgage applications. Well at least a cook same thing, right.
Speaker 1: I mean it worked one time, or at least no, it didn't work. That didn't work either.
Speaker 3: So black women be very careful about donya ey's and crossing your tea's on your mortgage applications.
Speaker 2: Wooh all right.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run, we head to the courtroom where testimony is scheduled to resume today at nine am and the murder trial of Brian Walsh. That is, the Massachusetts man who admitted to and pleaded guilty to dismemory and disposing of his wife's body. He also admitted to misleading authorities in their pursuit of trying to find her. She has never been found to this day. But here's the deal. Brian Walsh says he didn't kill her.
Speaker 3: Hey, look, from day one, from the jump, this has been a fascinating, fascinating trial, some jaw dropping moments, and I think Rodes we have to say yesterday was one of the most intense or I should just say tense in that courtroom because you had the man, the man that Anna Walsh, the victim, was having an affair with. He was on the stand testifying about her state of mind. But the whole point here, Robes was that they were trying to establish, at least the defense that Brian Walsh did not know his wife was having an affair. Therefore you have to take that off the table as a possible motive.
Speaker 1: Yes, and her lover, William fast Out testified under cross examination that Anna or Anna I believe is how her name is pronounced, never once told him that she was concerned that her husband knew about their affair, so he was not aware of it. And he said Anna was not aware that Brian Walsh ever knew about their affair, and that clearly would take the wind out of this of motive that the prosecution is trying to sell to the journey. So that will be interesting.
Speaker 3: So this case will continue trial. The testimony will continue this morning nine am is when it's scheduled, but a shorter day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, They're going to.
Speaker 1: Break at one pm Eastern time, so it will be a shorter day of testimony. This trial is expected, at least it's been projected to last two to three weeks, so it seems to be on schedule, but it has been riveting this week to follow, all right.
Speaker 3: Continuing on the run here on this Friday morning, the search continues for that fugitive high school football coach in Virginia, and now his family is pleading for him to come home and wanting to make clear nobody in this family helped him get away. This has been really goes back to what November twenty twentieth.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, that was the last time he was seen.
Speaker 1: That was when authorities were headed to her his home, they said at that point just to talk to him about a complaint. And on that same day we also got word that the school Union High school that he is a pe coach, and of course the head coach of their foot fotball team had placed him on administrative leave. So he walks out of the house headed into the woods, and his family said he did have a firearm with him. He was only dressed in sweatpants and a sweatshirt and it has been cold the weather up there in Appalachia, Virginia doesn't seem like anyone could survive the elements with what he was wearing. But he has not been seen, but his family put out a plea. They begged him. They said, come home and face the allegations by defending yourself in a court of law. Don't leave your family to fight this battle without you. They love and miss you. They want you to know they are your support, and they have been saying that from the beginning.
Speaker 3: That's a tough story given the elements given. He has not been seen, so he's found okay, and yes he has a right to defend himself in court. But this is a horrible story. But his team undefeated thirteen and oh he's won the past two games without him, and they're playing again this weekend with a chance to go to the state championship. So if you want to rally around somebody, those kids could use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're playing Saturday, December sixth.
Speaker 1: And this is a big deal, right, And there's also a five thousand dollars reward for anyone with information leading to his I guess capture would be the right word, because he has been US marshals.
Speaker 3: Are looking for a yes, fugit he is wanted, all right, continue on the run here now after all that robes, apparently Texas is going to get to use their congressional their new congressional maps after all, because the Supreme Court had stepped in and spulcan.
Speaker 1: Yes, so initially there was a lower court who called it unlawful after all that we saw in the summer where that you remember the Texas lawmakers who didn't want the vote to happen, the Democrats went and fled to other Democratic leaning states. Yes, and yes, there was a lot of a lot of rhetoric about what was going to happen to those lawmakers if they.
Speaker 2: Didn't come back.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, they had to eventually come back to their homes and their families. The vote happened, and then when that lower court struck it down, it seemed as though it was all for not. And now the Supreme Court stepping in and saying nope, that redistricting actually can take effect, and so that will if it I mean, I imagine it holds right.
Speaker 2: Oh, Supreme Court is the final.
Speaker 3: The governor there is the one that they had this emergency appeal and they spoke, and there is no other higher court the Supreme Court. As you can use your maps. And so the whole redistricting fight, the ones who started it are now back in the game in.
Speaker 1: Texas, which is good news for Republicans going into the midterm elections. That was the whole point behind the redistricting ticket, or at least to maintain that Republican majority in Congress.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll stay with us here on this Friday morning run, folks. When we come back. A streak that we might never see again was broken last night, and it was Lebron's streak, and he did it in a pretty cool way. Also, another big name out at CBS News, leaving them anchorless and one of their biggest show Stay here, all right, folks, let's continue on this Friday morning run. Now, a lot of announcements and shake ups probably we could expect from CBS News, but this still is a big one because Robes. This now leaves CBS at this moment without a named anchor of its prime newscast, the CBS Evening News.
Speaker 1: Yeah that this is the Walter Cronkite position. And Maurice de Bois is out at CBS News. He made the announcement on Instagram. He's been with CBS for sixteen years.
Speaker 2: He is a very.
Speaker 1: Familiar face here in the New York area. But his last broadcast CBS News has announced will be December eighteenth. And you remember his co anchor, John Dickerson, when was out a couple weeks ago, said he was out. So yes, it was an interesting some would call it an odd pairing two men there at the desk doing a very different, differently formatted CBS evening news. It was more like sixty minutes or a long form kind of CBS Sunday Mornings format. It wasn't your typical evening newscasts that were used to And it turns out.
Speaker 3: Two dudes were sitting there.
Speaker 1: First of all, yeah, it was the two dudes, and then it was It was a very It was a slower paced, more in depth show and it didn't even last a year.
Speaker 3: And both of those anchors are out. So some moreries to somebody we've known for a long time. So good guy. He's going to be just fine. But he is as smooth and silky asmove as they get on the air. All right, last leg of our run here now Lebron James one of the longest and most impressive streaks in sports, but also of his He has a lot of streaks and records, but this was a big one. Hated to see it go for the past nineteen years now, in every single game this man has played, he's scored double digits for nineteen wow hours, nineteen years and it ended last night. He only scored eight points, but he didn't care. Seemingly rohapes because it's team one.
Speaker 2: Yes in dramatic fast.
Speaker 1: In the final can you imagine, because obviously he's very aware of the fact that this streak is alive and well, two hundred and ninety seven games with at least ten points. So in the final seconds of the game, he's got the ball. If he shoots the two pointer, he gets the double digits and his streak continues. Instead, he passes it. And who was the one who made the game winning goal?
Speaker 3: I can never remember? Yeah, a Chiro, I can never remember his.
Speaker 1: I actually saw the name and thought, oh, I will not be attempting to pronounce that one.
Speaker 3: But there it is. Lebron had a chance to go. He made the best basketball play. It wasn't the best for his history, and who knows that he would have made his shot, but he made a basketball play and it was kind of cool that to see that he had an option to keep a streak going possibly and passed it up. And it worked out for his team. He's been this kind of guy in this kind of player. He was an assist guy, a rebounds guy, a defense guy, and an offense guy. So this was cool, but I hated to see the streak end.
Speaker 1: Yes, so they beat the Raptors one twenty three to one twenty Pretty cool. And when he was asked if he had any regrets for the game, I love what he said. Nope or he said none. We won, simple period, end of story.
Speaker 3: But his impressive career continues. Folks. Before we let you go on this Friday, is something we would like for you to take with you. It is our quote of the day. I have two options here, robes. Do you want something a little more poignant and hard hitting or do you want something with a little lighter touch to it.
Speaker 2: Let's go with the lighter touch.
Speaker 3: Okay. Quote Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you.
Speaker 2: Wow, I needed that one.
Speaker 3: I don't know why it came. Isn't that the simplest thing? Sometimes sometimes it works, but don't you hate you get on phone with customer service and the first thing they tell you, well, turn it off.
Speaker 1: And I did that it's the first thing everybody does except for ourselves.
Speaker 2: You're right, You're right, and I will do it.
Speaker 1: And I'm always amazed at how it actually usually does work. Any issue I'm having with my computer, my phone, turn it off, turn it back on again, boom, problem solved.
Speaker 2: Why don't we give ourselves that break?
Speaker 3: So folks, try that on this Friday as you going through your weekend, something to take with you. Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. And with that, folks, we always appreciate you running with us. I'm TJ.
Speaker 2: Holmes and I'm Amy Robock. We hope you have a wonderful weekend.