Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal coll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day?
Speaker 2: Edith State is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and.
Speaker 3: Tie welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildenbrand joining me over there, beautiful New York City. Still a bachelor another week and a half. His name is Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty good, Ty. The sun is it's the warmest day in a long time out right now, I.
Speaker 3: Think all right out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's feeling good. We used to celebrate skirt Day.
Speaker 2: But now that we are mature adults at old maure adults, Yes, enthusiastically as we did in like two thousand and nine, life is good.
Speaker 1: Ty, it is.
Speaker 2: We did bathroom medicit last week. Yeah, solidverbal dot com Espanation dot com. I want to associate espionation dot com with our decision to talk bathroom Meticut for forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Not much in the way of news.
Speaker 2: No, it's me, but you know what, Ty, I still think we can have a conversation about college football and beyond.
Speaker 3: We can so the show last week actually went over. Okay, I was surprised by that. I didn't know how that would go over, but the content seemed to resonate. We actually got a bunch of follow up emails from folks who have their own situations that I'm sure at some point we'll get into and discuss a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Would you say the listeners metabolized it nicely, Its digested well.
Speaker 3: It agreed with people more than I expected.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I felt like they looked at it as a regular thing.
Speaker 3: But as you know, you can find us iTunes, dot com, soliverbal if you want to subscribe now, and what they're calling Apple Podcasts Dan also on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, all the normal social media hotspots. Okay, yeah, full disclosure, and I told you this. We're all friends here. I woke up from a four minute nap that's great, about eight minutes ago, so I'm still quasi in that waking state of things. Don't draw attention to it, Ty, You're strong. I actually have no idea what this show is about today. You put yourself in charge of I did putting this show's content together. I am coming at this cold off the bench. If it shows, I apologize in advance, but I'm excited to talk college football. I'm assuming that's what we'll be doing today.
Speaker 2: Yes, sort of, Yeah, yeah, we have some college football things to discuss. I mean, there's recruiting things happening all over the place. Ohio State keeps getting big recruits. There's some proposed rule changes with letting red shirts perhaps play up to four games, including a bowl game, which I think makes pretty good.
Speaker 3: Stun like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that if most, if not all bowl traditional bowl games, non playoff games are exhibition ish, I don't see a problem in seeing what you know a red shirt freshman quarterback can do against a live defense. I think that seems reasonable enough. There have been discussions about adding assistant coaches and defining better defining assistant coaches in the wake of so many schools using analysts to help out with things behind the sort of.
Speaker 3: A backdoor assistant coach type rule. Have they done anything about targeting?
Speaker 2: I have not seen anything about targeting, which doesn't mean it hasn't happened. But I'm getting married in a week and a half time. I gotta tell you, I'm not seen a lot of targeting stuff, not focused on targeting, right okay, but here to me is the story of stories, and it's not a news story, but it is the completion of an ongoing story for a long time. I got a lot of pleasure out of Settle make Settle, a lot of g rated pleasure out of making fun of and poking at at Charlie Weiss and noted as did I, yes, so I don't.
Speaker 1: Did you read there was a Charlie Weiss.
Speaker 2: Feature I think in ESPN a year or two ago about like what he's been up to these past few years since leaving Kansas.
Speaker 3: He's living the American dream.
Speaker 2: He is doing, you know, it's it's not necessarily his doing. It could be a really good agent. But he has made so much money not doing all that much. I think in his career as a head coach he has made something like sixty four million dollars sounds about right, including the buyouts, So including the buyouts from Notre Dame in Kansas. He was only at Florida, I believe for a year, but as a head coach, buyout salary sixty four million dollars, and most importantly, I think the final number with Notre Dame, which they paid out over a certain number of years was something like nineteen million dollars. Does that sound right, yep, which is also roughly the NBC deal A year of the NBC deal, So I guess that worked out in some sort of way.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: But I think it's time, upon further reflection, to sort of celebrate the genius of the Charlie Weiss operation of being on an up but mostly down head coach. He did have a couple of years there that you were excited about him as your head coach two thousand and five and six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're high times now if I remember correctly. And this is really testing the limits of my brain here after awaking from a short slumber. But I believe he lost both the Fiesta and Sugar Bowls in his first two seasons.
Speaker 1: But year one I.
Speaker 3: Believe went nine and three, Year two ten and three. The first two years were what doomed him because ultimately he set the bar so high that the only way he could continue to kind of cap sure that mystique was to keep winning more games. And he recruited well, right, He recruited well at skill positions, right, But where he didn't recruit well or in the trenches defensively, he couldn't put together a full team schematically on offense, it was it was all okay defense, he could never get it together. And I think it was seven. I'm looking at it now, oh seven, Yes, went three and nine, eight, seven and six, two thousand and nine, six and six. So from that ten to three season on it was sort of a downward spiral. He couldn't recapture that magic and that was ultimately his undoing. So yeah, it was an interesting little run there.
Speaker 2: Do you think that because when he was at Notre Dame, people enjoyed making fun of him. In Notre Dame, the decided schematic advantage, the fact that he was like this NFL guy who tutored Tom Brady's a Bill Belichick guy coming to college and he's going to you know, not necessarily a revolutionize, but he's going to dominate all the resources of Notre Dame. And so he is this figure that is sort of made fun of and everybody liked it when Notre Dame was failing under him. And then everything sort of shifts when he's done coaching Florida Kansas I think it was with Kansas City one year, right, Yeah, and then goes to Kansas and everything sort of shifts and now he's sort of appreciated in a very strange way for getting all of this money from Notre Dame especially, but also Kansas. Do you think there is another or even an active school and coaching situation that is currently sort of hated that could be turned into a positive thing because the coach seemed to get so much money out of them as Oh my god, Oh my god, because I think I think it's like a perfect storm.
Speaker 3: People definitely still look at that situation and get the warm fuzzies thinking about what Weiss was able to pull off just as a employee, but as a coach. Conversation goes, I don't know where else you could try and even compare that type of situation. Has anything come to mind for you?
Speaker 2: Well, there are certain coaches, I think and schools that are naturally disliked outside of those schools. So like Jim Harbaugh and Michigan people seem to like rooting against Michigan on a certain level because of the Michigan man thing, and you know, the sort of looking down factor that Michigan people have the reputation of, and Jim Harbaugh coming in from the NFL and you know, demanding all of this attention, with all of his you know, supposed antics whatever. But I don't think it would be necessarily justified in him getting paid a ton of money because he did accomplish a ton in the NFL and in college with Stanford.
Speaker 3: So ultimately, what you're talking about then is you're asking me, is there another wise situation out there?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Is there somebody who is generally viewed negatively at a school that is generally viewed negatively that if he were able to extract a good amount of money as a buyout, he would looked at he would be looked at as favorably. Now this is also to say, people that we know and that we've read, who have spent a lot of time with Charlie Weiss think he's like a hilarious, sarcastic, likable dude, right right, And just being an arrogant coach does not prevent you from being also sarcastic and likable outside of football. So I sort of appreciate that. And there was like the story a couple of years ago that every year when they get the check from Notre Dame, it's generally it was like Christmas Eve or something like that that they would have like a really nice dinner him and his wife or him and his family, and they would toast a Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's definitely a quality to it where he can play both sides of the coin, the whole Notre Dame aspect, and his mannerisms while he was there, like I said, represented all the reasons why people don't like Notre Dame. Now that he's out, now that he's living off the lamb essentially and still getting paid or was still getting paid, I think it's like a last shot at Notre Dame that people can really hit their wagons to and get a smile out of.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's you know, Urban Meyer is somewhat unlikable to people around successful.
Speaker 1: He's been successful.
Speaker 2: Nick Saban obviously is unlikable, has been extremely successful. I don't think there's anybody who has a personality that right off the bat rubbed people the wrong way fair, not at a place that people like rooting against. I would say the closest that we had perhaps come to it until he succeeded on a big level, which only made people dislike him even more outside was Pete Carroll at USC. People in the SEC, well, people that rooted for SEC teams and root for SEC teams hated Pete Carroll at USC.
Speaker 3: Carol's won.
Speaker 2: But I would say this just with Pete Carroll. You know, LSU fans hated USC and Pete Carroll Alabama, you know, all the fans in the SEC of the big schools. But I think there was a deep seated almost jealousy that their sport, you know, the South and college football was being played on as high a level in Hollywood, by the beach and getting you know, all these celebrities on the sideline. Their sport was being co opted and made to be so much more fun by this fun coach, and that just brought it out of them. So I don't think he as a person was nearly as unlikable publicly as Charlie weis.
Speaker 3: On a much much smaller scale. Yeah, there was a hint of that before last season. As it relates to James Franklin. James Franklin, I mean you're more local to that, Yeah, more local. Like I said, it's more of a hyper local scenario. Yeah, but Franklin is so counter to the past fifty years of Penn State football and Certainly during the Christian Hackenberg era, the way that went down, it did not look promising. Twenty sixteen obviously turned things around. He's got a lot more slack now and people have definitely bought more into his system. But through the first two years, at least the way things played out on pen Live comment threads and message boards, people were very down on James Franklin, and there were a lot of folks who wanted to see him out as football coach and thought maybe he was stealing money from the program, right, sure, So yeah, wow, tough question.
Speaker 1: I just don't think.
Speaker 2: People from Pennsylvania recognize how difficult it is to win nine games at Vanderbilt.
Speaker 3: No, they don't. They don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely not. No, you're right, you're absolutely right. But I really don't see a scenario that at all compares to Because Brian Kelly is not super liked. I would say it's fair to say he blames other people at times for perhaps things he should take.
Speaker 3: He has unlikable qualities, but he has had far far more success at the college level than Weiss ever did.
Speaker 1: True.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just had more years and you know, came up through the college level but yeah, I'm trying to think of Brian Kelly right now. So let's say burns out, you know, the Notre Dame goes seven to five and that's just not good enough this fall and doesn't get hired by an NFL team, takes another job, you know who knows where it, like Pitt or something in three years and is fine but nothing special. But it comes out that part of his buyout with Notre Dame is Charlie Weiss esque. Do you think people have that same reaction now? I don't, I don't.
Speaker 3: I know. Weiss was such a different scenario because he was almost build being a Notre Dame grad, he was buildings like the savior for the program, right. Brian Kelly came in at a time where they they needed someone to stabilize the ship and rebuild from the ground up. But he was never billed at the savior. I think he was billed more as the guy who wanted the job the most right and someone who came in who was a solid coach at the college level, who could come in and make a difference. But there's just nothing in my mind that compares. There are plenty of scenarios out there where I think a fan base, or you know, everyone outside of a fan base might root for a Jim Horball, like you said, to fail for their own personal reasons, but nothing to the Weis's extent.
Speaker 2: Fair and Charlie West he is in Florida, just sort of hanging out.
Speaker 3: I believe so at this point, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So do you and I listen.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give anything away as for your day job, but I think it's fair to say that your day job is not a job in which you will be coming into nineteen million dollars.
Speaker 3: Probably probably not. I don't know what the bonus situation is going to be this coming year, but no sure signs would point to know.
Speaker 1: Have you thought about what you'd spend that kind of lump sum on?
Speaker 3: Well, if we go the super Troopers route, I'd buy a nineteen million dollar car. Otherwise, Wow, nineteen million is.
Speaker 2: So here's what I'm going to say. You can't spread it over anything. So I'm going to say, like you have to, you can buy a nineteen million dollar house, which is pretty tough to do in Allentown.
Speaker 1: I've done the right.
Speaker 3: I could buy the city of Allentown for nineteen million.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many I did the research. How many homes in Allentown are currently listed? I looked on a couple of different real estate sites for more than one million.
Speaker 3: Dollars in in Allentown.
Speaker 2: In Allentown, on a couple different sites, I think I use Zillo.
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, uh.
Speaker 2: Twenty zero okay, there is a super nice house listened for like nine to fifty Okay. So I tried to figure out how you could spend nineteen million dollars in Allentown.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult.
Speaker 3: I could buy every Yakos, Yeah you could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's you could buy like every apartment building in the greater Lehigh Valley, and you probably wouldn't get to nineteen million. But I looked it up, and if you were to, so you have to by land. You've got one hundred and fifty acres for like a million and a half, just not that much, all things considered. Million and a half, you buy your million dollar house, nine hundred and sixty five thousand, whatever, you buy one hundred and fifty acres. I looked up how much it would cost to build a water park, not for yourself overall, like major major slides, tie commercial slides for like one of those slides that has four different like tunnels and outlets and a pool and.
Speaker 1: Everything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lazy, you're talking, you're talking. Oh yeah, all of these things. The upper level that has multiple slides in the same structure is about ninety grand. Oh wow, So you'd have if you bought twenty five of them. Yeah, and just built a mega built a mega water park and discounting insurance and you know all the stuff that goes along with and employees and everything. But you're talking about the better part of like five million dollars for the land.
Speaker 3: You could build an ARC for nineteen million here.
Speaker 2: Yes, well you can, only it's only like five million. You'd have to become a water park baron.
Speaker 3: There's already a water park here though. That's a problem.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom? Do you think it could be improved upon? I don't know. I haven't been there since I was like eight.
Speaker 1: Are you a water park person?
Speaker 3: Generally speaking? I am. Yeah, I'm more water park than I am you know, just general theme park.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. Do you wear like the water socks?
Speaker 2: I haven't been a water park and wadeck with socks now I'm going to a wedding in Palm Springs camera guy Dave's wedding, Okay, in the middle of December, and there's a really good water park. I think it's going to be too cold, but it is very I looked up what nineteen million dollars gets you in New York. We've done this experiment with another price point in the past. That would be like a two bedroom apartment, wouldn't it You can do You can do better than a two bedroom apartment. You can move into an old I'm gonna send this to you right now, Ty. Yeah, you can move into the old police station or police headquarter like the Ghostbusters. Click that link I just sent you and tell me what you think.
Speaker 3: Okay, hold on.
Speaker 1: It's a six bedroom place. It's pretty huge.
Speaker 2: You can get an ocean front property in Laguna Beach, which I.
Speaker 1: Feel like you have ties to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, you can.
Speaker 2: Get a year of Eli Manning's time and efforts. I don't know if that's attractive. You can get a Gulf Stream G two eighty.
Speaker 3: Again we're talking about for Charlie Weiss's Yes, earnings here nice.
Speaker 2: So I can't I can't accept you saying well, I'd get a house here, I'd get a house there. I'd get a house here, I get these cars. No, I'm talking lump almost like Brewsters millions and one shot purchase.
Speaker 3: The boring answer would be to buy some sort of like business that you think is going to do well, something that you.
Speaker 2: Can Okay, So what kind of business do you think you could go into and succeed within?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean my skills are pretty limited, Dan.
Speaker 1: Are you buying like thirty thirty Hardy's.
Speaker 3: Is there a nineteen million dollar podcasting building out there? Because it's really all I know at this stage in life? Fair? Could we buy the Shutdown full cast for nineteen million?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, we could buy fifty Shutdown full casts. I think I go first class in like the craziest ways around the world.
Speaker 3: Would you buy a jet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can buy a lear jet. I don't know if that takes you across.
Speaker 3: Here's here's the thing. I flew Private once.
Speaker 1: I've never flown private.
Speaker 3: Well, let me tell you, Dan, I flew it once, and that is definitely the first thing I'd do if I came into a gazillion dollars right, because the experience just doesn't compare to the commercial experience. It's way way better. There are a lot of people I know who would buy a boat, right. The problem for me is I don't live near water, So nineteen million dollars for me not so much. Are there any websites worth nineteen million that we could buy and like bolt onto solid verbal dot com.
Speaker 2: I feel like we could buy Netscape. Yeah, the rights to Netscape for nineteen million dollars. This is a very difficult busz this oriented question.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I would just first class around the world for I mean first class. By that, I mean like flying private around the world, going to different places for like a full year. Okay, and just spend it like crazy. Uh, Charlie White, it's not doing that. No, what's he doing?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I think you're just hanging out in Florida. I have the list.
Speaker 3: By the way, the estimated mortgage for this home you sent me is sixty eight thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad, right, Yeah, Okay, Okay, So I have a list of and this has been it hasn't been updated since all of the college football coaches where data is available, tax data whatever. So the amount of their buyouts of these college football coaches. For example, Nick Saban is listed here as twenty three point two million dollars, but he just signed some sort of extension recently and got a crazy raise, so I don't think it's reflected in the numbers. So I'm going to give you numbers, and I'm obviously going to tell you where they coach. And you have to tell me what is the most attractive combination of number and you know expense and you know the pleasure of living in this place, all right, So you can get You can get twenty three million dollars and live in Tuscaloosa, Okay. You get fourteen million dollars in Phoenix, fifteen million dollars in Fayetteville, eight million dollars in Auburn. You can get twenty million dollars in Clemson, you know, Greenville area. You can get nine million dollars in Gainesville, thirty three million dollars in Tallahassee, six million in Atlanta, six million in Houston, nineteen million dollars in Champagne, Illinois, twenty five million dollars in Iowa City. Just stop me when something sounds really attractive to you. Lexington, Kentucky and fourteen million dollars Louisville and thirteen million and Arborn twenty five. Maybe Phoenix and fourteen that's not bad. That's the one that that's the one that's resonating right now. Yeah, Phoenix has secretly bad people like a it's not a great like populous. I would say it's super young with college kids, but.
Speaker 3: Have a market. We have a market in Phoenix. Oh.
Speaker 2: I love I love the locals, but people you get a lot of like New York and Chicago trash ending up in Phoenix. Lincoln, Nebraska and six million dollars. And this is under the presumption that you have to stay here Norman, Oklahoma. Bob Soup is already trying to get the hell out of Norman, Oklahoma. I think he just bought five million dollars of real estate in Chicago, Columbus, Ohio and twenty seven million dollars. I'm just going to scroll down to the the letter you. UCLA will give you fifteen million dollars, and USC is not on here because it's a private school. I think that's the move. It doesn't go as far though, fifteen million dollars in LA. Here's my question to you. Sixteen million in Seattle.
Speaker 3: That's not bad. Here's my question to you, please tomorrow, you get nineteen million dollars. You're a successful to some degree college football coach, successful enough to get an eight figure buyout, right, right? Are you working another day in your life? I think I'm only doing what I want to do. I think that goes without saying. So if I'm getting nineteen million dollars, and are we presuming taxes? Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm getting nineteen million dollars and there's a good chance I'm either going to live in New York or LA. I'm from LA. I currently live in New York, which doesn't go particularly far if you are going to be very wealthy. That's like a nice lunch in New York, Right, it's exactly right. No, I'd probably move somewhere else. Yes, I would work, but like two days a week doing what I want to do.
Speaker 1: We'll do.
Speaker 2: We'll do two shows a week instead of one.
Speaker 1: Are you working now? How are you spending your time?
Speaker 3: Ty? No, I don't know. I need structure, though, I know that, Okay, I need some kind of structure otherwise I come off the rails. But I need something. Yeah, maybe it's the way maybe two shows a week would do it?
Speaker 2: Have you seen it's only been up for like a week. Have you seen any of the new season and Master of None?
Speaker 3: No, not yet.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 2: That's what I think I would do. This maybrobably the problem, and I put the problem in quotes, but the difficulty in Have you seen the first season A Master?
Speaker 3: I've seen most of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So when the second season opens up, he's living in Italy learning how to make pasta.
Speaker 1: That's his life.
Speaker 2: He's just hanging out in Italy learning how to make pasta because he wants.
Speaker 3: To, because he wants to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you to me, so is hess are even in real life, has gone to Italy to just like learn how to make pasta and just get away from it all.
Speaker 3: I am told by some friends who are very active in the podcasting world that there's a guy who started a knitting podcast.
Speaker 1: A knitting podcast.
Speaker 3: Knitting podcast. He had no level of knowledge whatsoever on knitting, but he started a podcast and he got very.
Speaker 1: Post This is his adventure learning to knit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he got very popular in the knitting world, believe it, the knitting counterculture right, so much so that he now makes a living going to knitting conferences and running his knitting podcast.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: I believe it's true. I heard it from a credible source. And again, just to reiterate, I did minimal preparation for the show. I didn't know what we're going to be talking about. But right, the point here being animal, if you find an adventure learning situation, you've already got the podcasting component.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Perhaps there is the Dan Rubinstein knitting, the Ty Rubinstein knitting equivalent out there.
Speaker 1: Hm, did you call yourself Ty Rubinstein?
Speaker 3: I mighto. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I think you did.
Speaker 3: Okay, but you get the point, right, mm hmm. You know, could I start a space podcast? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I like the knitting thing because that feels like a space that's not really super invited.
Speaker 3: The conferences they pay him money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, that's great.
Speaker 3: If we could do a show where we talk nothing about sports, that'd be awesome.
Speaker 1: I mean we're sort of already going in that direction.
Speaker 3: I mean the whole second half of the show is really a tryout for that.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: I'd go to Japan, Okay, I would just hanging out in Japan for like three months.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about how your suit is going to fit you at your wedding. Oh my god perfectly. Did you get the Indo Chino suit? You know what, Ty, I didn't because what are you doing with your life? I'm going to get an Indo Chino suit. I haven't yet because the specifications that they go to, the details that they go to to get your suit right, it takes a little bit. It takes a little bit to get it, but it's totally. This is like the anti rain on your wedding day. I know this is the opposite of good luck. Not going Indo Chino. You know how good it knows how good it feels to get a suit that is made custom for you. Don't be a deadbeat, don't be like Dan. Go to Indo Chino. It's I n d O c CHI n O dot com Indo Chino. They make it easy for you to get a perfectly tailored suit at an incredible price. You can choose from a hundreds of top quality fabrics. Personalize that suit just the way you want it, whether it's for work or a wedding another special occasion. Indo Chino they suit up hundreds of thousands of guys. They're now the largest made to measure men's wear brand in the world. Say that ten times fast. Dan. All you gotta do is visit Indochino dot com or drop by one of their nine North American showrooms. You can pick from hundreds of fabrics and patterns, customize the whole thing to the nines, submit your body measurements. Then you kick back, You relax, and you get ready to step into the best most stylish suit you've ever worn in just four weeks, Dan, This week, our listeners can get any premium Indo chinosuit for three seventy I don't know why I'm whispering, but three seventy nine at indochino dot com. Just enter the code solid at checkout. That's fifty percent off the regular price. A made to measure premium suit. Shipping is also free again Indo Chino dot Com promo code solid any premium suit three seventy nine and free shipping. Don't worry about badly fitting suits. Expensive trips to the tailor ever again looked like eight million.
Speaker 1: Bucks I got.
Speaker 2: So I went suit shopping with my youngest brother okay lex Yeah, for my wedding and he couldn't get a He has to wear a black suit. I'm not wearing black, he has to wear a black suit. And we ended up going somewhere else, not Indo Chino, just because we were tighter on time than four weeks and suit was reasonably priced.
Speaker 1: But then you go to the.
Speaker 3: Tailor, they get you. That's where they get you, and you.
Speaker 2: Don't want it poorly cut up. That price point is great, like a good custom fit, not custom, but good like custom measurement whatever fit suit for under four hundred bucks is an outstanding price point.
Speaker 3: True story here. When I was doing the research trying to find suits for my groomsmen, now you know I had a fairly big bridal party. Yeah, in my situation, I looked into custom suits for the guys. Yeah, because I just wanted something that they could use. I had no idea how much that kind of thing actually costs, and I did at one point talk to a custom tailor that's rough Man, who told me it would be somewhere in the vicinity of like eight to nine to one thousand dollars per suit. And I'm like, uh, yeah, my cousin can't afford like that's like a month's rent. So no, So three seventy nine is a good price.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, fair enough. So you were saying, yeah, it's it's all about investing ty and we are. God, it's mid May, so we have June, July, August, and half of May until football season starts. We have about three and a half months. So in front of me, I have every team that won fewer than five games within a Power five conference. Oh boy, So the exercise I'd like to do with you, and we can't select our own dumb teams that each won four games. We can select the each others, but we can't select our own. So I'd like to see which of us because we got an email I apologize for having in front of me right now. We got an email from somebody who is swearing up and down that the cursive tie is so real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you loved ole miss.
Speaker 2: They immediately everybody gets hurt, they have a bad season, they're under investigation, blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: The cursive tie is very real. I have it in front of you.
Speaker 3: I can read it off.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, instead of you believing in teams that are pretty good and making that leap to great, which you have shown year after year that you screw up, you love Texas is still Texas. They're bad for like nine straight years. Ole Miss has this giant black cloud over their heads. You loved Michigan State, you love TCU, just black cloud after black cloud that you provide over these teams. So what I'm doing is these teams have basically that I'm about to list off, kind of hit rock bottom or close to it in twenty sixteen. So I'm thinking the reverse is potentially true. Okay, It's sort of like a negative number times a negative number is a positive number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking you're one of those.
Speaker 2: Negative numbers, and these teams are already in the negative in terms of quality at the moment. So I'm saying, we have an exercise. We each take three teams, and so instead of you believing in a pretty good team, by you believing in a bad team. Perhaps that is good luck. Who is the one the person that sent us the curse of time?
Speaker 3: Gentleman by the name of Kyle, Thank you, Kyle, very kind words about the show. And he goes on the same ramble that you sort of did. He mentions Old Miss, he mentions TCU, mentions even my pessimism for Penn State, right, he said He even went so far as to pick the opposite of his gut feeling a few weeks into the season and picked Virginia on Oklahoma State's homecoming, which made for a fun weekend in Stillwater. And he said, it just seems remarkable that everything he hated turned to gold and everything he liked turned into a turd. And then he also throws out the Notre Dame connection, which I'm sure we can give it to a little bit here. But since what he's saying is what is the general opinion of the tie stank and is there any validity to the connection, I'll be the first to say, Yeah, we joked a lot about the Notre Dame stank. But I generally am a year early with teams. In old missus case, I've been like ten years early. I want all this every year. It never works out to the point now where I'm just going to stop mentioning them altogether. But in general, I'm about a year year and a half early on most of my predictions.
Speaker 2: Gotta tell you, Dan, nobody's stopping dexter mcluster.
Speaker 3: Yeap, Nope.
Speaker 2: So here's the list of teams that won fewer than five games in twenty sixteen, and we can't select our own teams. We get three choices. We'll go back and forth. I will give you the first pick since this game is named after you. Yeah, Syracuse, Duke and Virginia from the ACC, Iowa State and Kansas from the Big twelve, Michigan State, Rutgers, Illinois, Purdue, the Big Ten, Notre Dame, Oregon State, and Notre Dame is independent, but we're going to bring them Oregon State, Oregon, Ucla, Arizona, Missouri.
Speaker 3: All right, so we're betting on what is this again?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: So we each get to select three teams, and whichever the total of the wins of those three teams is higher, whoever has that wins?
Speaker 3: Okay, you went entirely too fast. They don't have any of those team names, but okay, I'm intrigued by UCLA. Josh Rosen coming back healthy to me makes them a contender to definitely, they should be over five hundred, right. I think the PAC twelve is is a lot tougher this year in my new coordinator new coordinators, but you would think just by him simply coming back, they should be significantly better. So again, I missed the full list but Ucla is one to jump off the page to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Ucla is in the Pac twelve South.
Speaker 2: Defensively, you know, you have a pretty good defense in Colorado and Utah USC you should have a decent defense. Arizona schools kind of trash Arizona State with a new defense. So there are you know, teams to be exploited there. I think Ucla is a.
Speaker 1: Smart pick there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with my first pick, I'm gonna go Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: Okay, explain this one to me.
Speaker 2: Well, if I'm trying to target teams that can win seven or eight plus games, I like Notre Dame more than Arizona. I like Notre Dame more than Illinois per Douing Rutgers. I like them more than Kansas or Iowa State. I like them more than Syracuse Duke in Virginia. I like them more than Missouri. So just by that, Notre Dame new coordinators sort of more difficult to prep for early on in the season because you don't know exactly what they're going to be running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the over under is for the season for Notre Dame, but realistically eight or nine wins doesn't seem super far.
Speaker 3: There's a little bit of poetic justice in you taking Notre Dame after all the jokes.
Speaker 2: Ty, I'm a smart investor. I'm a smart investor here.
Speaker 3: When the season starts a Notre Dame is no longer four and eight, you guys over there are going to run out of content.
Speaker 1: Well, that hurts me personally because I'm gonna lose this game.
Speaker 3: I think Notre Dame's are really smart pick here. Notre Dame should be fine. Last year with some sort of weird aberration, they might not be playoff fine, but they should be. They should be just fine.
Speaker 2: I'm willing to make a peace with Notre Dame not in the playoffs this coming year.
Speaker 3: I will I will stay in the Pac twelve with my pick, okay, and I'm gonna go Oregon. I'll go your team. Perhaps it's an obvious selection, but I like Willie Taggart a lot. Defensively, they were a mess, but there's enough talent there on offense that it feels to me like they should be able to rebuild that situation. I feel like they'll be well positioned in the Pac twelve North to find a way to win seven eight games at a minimum.
Speaker 2: In twenty sixteen, Oregon's SNP plus defensive rating was any guess one nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not really good at all.
Speaker 2: That's an efficiency metric, a success right metric that our friends at Football Outsiders put together. Bill Connolly's part of that. In twenty twelve, Oregon's S and P plus defensive rating was.
Speaker 1: Second. That is incredible.
Speaker 2: That is amazing, and it actually it just speaks that organ It has just brought in a lot less in the way of defensive talent these past few years. But I think they're heading.
Speaker 3: The point is there's nowhere to go but up. Correct, there's nowhere to go but up and again. I think the PAC twelve is going to be pretty good this year. But I like Willie Taggert, I like the talent on offense. They're only going to get improved on defense. I'll take Oregon.
Speaker 2: Oregon has Nebraska in Eugene, Wyoming in Laramie against an NFL quarterback, and they miss I believe USC on the schedule. If if I gave you an over under of seven and a half wins for Oregon in twenty seventeen, I'd go over. You're happily taking the over. I'm going over here, cautiously taking the over. Now I feel pretty good about over Okay, be over there, all.
Speaker 3: Right, pick is to me, the pick is to you. And just a word of strategy. Okay, Now, there weren't a whole lot of teams in like the SEC. Right, the one that jumps off the pages. I think Missouri that Wassuri you mentioned you're not gonna pick Missouri. Picking Missouri would be a dumb pick because you're playing the SEC tough schedule.
Speaker 2: So I think you're looking elsewhere. Now, maybe a recent two time divisional champion, maybe acc with this pick.
Speaker 1: Possibly.
Speaker 2: I know you're trying to steer me in the direction Tie, see you steering. Yeah, I'm going to be even though you are steering me. I'm going to be disrespectful Tie. And I'm gonna take Michigan State. Oh, I'm gonna buy extremely low with Michigan State.
Speaker 3: I was gonna go Michigan State if you didn't.
Speaker 1: I'm going to old Michigan State.
Speaker 2: Not because I am a big full believer in sparty moving forward, but I feel like talent wise, they have the capability to do more than a number of these teams on this list.
Speaker 1: It's still not a great.
Speaker 2: Division, but they gave Michigan all they could handle for a bit.
Speaker 1: Last year. They were in the Rose Bowl. Recently.
Speaker 2: I like their coaching staff still, and I know there's more turn I think there's more turnover at quarterback. But even with all of that, ceiling wise, given recent history, I'm going sparty. I'm looking at their schedule right now. Yes they're at Michigan, Yes they're at Ohio State. Yes they have Penn State on their schedule, but they have Maryland and Rutgers. Notre Dame is at home, Iowa's at home. Western, Michigan's without PJ. Fleck, Bowling Green still without Dino Babers. Road games outside of those games aren't the worst Minnesota Northwestern. So I feel like we can get to eight wins this year and that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, so the pick is back to me now, huh, pick is back to you? Wow?
Speaker 2: So I can refresh you with teams if you I'm looking at standings now, Okay, So I feel like I can do this. The herd is thinning very quickly, true, very quickly, among teams that we think can get to, you know, that level and as is As is the case, tie a lot of second year turnarounds. You know, the first year is all about establishing culture. Second year is all about results, right, Arizona may have a twenty six year old quarterback. Oregon State has a very good running back and Ryan Nall Syracuse wide open system. Dino Babers Duke a very promising young quarterback. What do you whisp about? Stop talking?
Speaker 3: What do you think about? Duke?
Speaker 2: One in seven yep in conference last year, finished four and eight, recent divisional champ, recent divisional champion. I'm really excited about their quarterback situation. HM Daniel Jones a a young Romison quarterback. I remember tweets from Bruce Feldman last year talking about how he thought there were big things in front of him still have, I think a pretty good coach. And David Cutcliffe someone who knows how to coach offense. And the main factor in this pick for me is the fact that other teams on their side of the ACC seem like they might be in a little bit of.
Speaker 3: A rebuilding mode. All right, let's look at who else is on that side of the conference. With Duke, we know that Pitt is going to be rebuilding in a pretty big way, right. North Carolina loses their quarterback, their quarterback, Miami loses their quarter I like Miami this year, but Miami loves their quarterback.
Speaker 1: I think that might be bad.
Speaker 3: Georgia Tech, who knows. I can never figure out. Georgia Tech. Virginia I think is a multi year project. The only team, for real, for real that's jumping out at me is Virginia Tech, and they're starting over.
Speaker 2: I at quarterback as well. By the way, ty on that note, O Chared Evans drawd Evans. Yeah, leaving Virginia Tech earlier on a draft not a great idea.
Speaker 3: Not a great idea. But there's enough uncertainty in the coastal side of the ACC that you could potentially see Duke cobbling together a seven win season.
Speaker 2: I could see and listen, Duke has has a lot to work on. Five and one. Heading into Florida State, they have Northwestern, Baylor, North Carolina, Miami, North Carolina Central. I mean things break the right way at North Carolina A Virginia I don't know. Yeah, new quarterback for Pitt, new quarterback, Virginia Tech, new quarterback. Georgia Tech, Wake Forest without Mike Elco. I don't think that's a bad pick.
Speaker 3: Tie, Yeah, okay, So those are my three. I've got UCLA, Oregon and Duke.
Speaker 1: Ucla Oregon and Duke.
Speaker 3: Okay, Ty, I'm ready to very strong academic slate as well.
Speaker 1: I am ready to blow your mind. I'm gonna go Iowa State. Oh, good pick.
Speaker 2: I am buying low, I'm buying they were not all that far off last year.
Speaker 3: Quick pick. I like that pick.
Speaker 1: You talk about four or.
Speaker 2: Five moments away, you know, A good game against Oklahoma, a good game against Kansas State.
Speaker 1: They blow out Texas Tech. This year.
Speaker 2: They have Texas at home on a Thursday night. Yep, they have Iowa at home in Alasico, Northern Iowa. They go to Norman, they go to Lubbock, they go to Morgantown, to Waco, to Kansas State. It's not a great road slate, but I think with now their quarterback of the somewhat future, Jacob Park. I like Matt Campbell. I like the skill position. I like Alan Lazard. I was on the radio with our friend Trent Condon in Des Moines earlier today. I am hyped about the Clones. Ty, Yeah, I'm sure you can hear it in my voice hip hiped about the clones. I can see Iowa stay taken home six Yeah, I like. I think they're might drive to six team this year. How about that?
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: So Iowa state, Notre Dame, Michigan State, mister Midwest, and.
Speaker 3: I'm mister PAC twelve. That's true, Pac twelve, And Duke, you have good Mother's Day.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I did his mama.
Speaker 2: Rube's nervous at all, A little stressed, I would say, little stressed for the So she's handling the rehearsal dinner. My dad will be there, but she's handling the rehearsal dinner and the morning after brunch.
Speaker 3: So this is, by the way, a big weekend for the solid verbal coming up.
Speaker 1: It is big weekend.
Speaker 3: Because there is a rehearsal feast of some sort, then there's the actual wedding, and then there's the after wedding brunch. All three events, the solid wife and I will be in attendance for those. I love that very excited. I'm prepared to give a full verbal report here at some point, either with or without you.
Speaker 2: I should tell you, ty, and I'm going to present it to you on the show because we're nothing if not an authentic show. If you want to speak, if you want to say some words the rehearsal dinner, you may oh wow. I'm not asking people specifically to speak, because that's you know, they want to speak, they can speak. I'm just telling you right now, if you'd like to say a few words, the rehearsal rabbi is looking forward to meeting you.
Speaker 3: Is this so?
Speaker 1: This is totally true.
Speaker 2: We had a call with the rabbi on Sunday and he said, is TI going to be there?
Speaker 3: I said, really, this is a true story. You're not making this true? Wow?
Speaker 2: He said, it's Ti going to be there. I said yes, and he was like, oh cool. I listened to some of your banter. Well, you know, Dan, I didn't give me an opinion of it. I did do the DNA test I've got I got in me, so cong welcome aboard. There's a chance that I could fit right in there. So do you think you will speak?
Speaker 3: Probably not. It is your day, It is not my day. We don't need to play on the whole like you know, buddy cop thing that we got going on here when we do the show. But fair so I'd prefer to give you the lime light.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's reasonable. No, everything's I think everything's pretty good. The weather's supposed to be nice.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I'm really excited.
Speaker 2: The fiance was not super keen on my idea for what I want to do during our introduction, like for the first time as man and wife kind of thing. I had it kind of sketched out. Okay, we'll see if that happens. But no real hiccups. I got the food's going to be great, Music's going to be great. I'm excited. I am ready, and I'm looking forward to a little bit nervous for your recap.
Speaker 3: Well you should be, because you were somewhat critical of my music selection. I owned that was my only critique. You were somewhat critical, Dan, So I'm not only critique. But you know what, Ty, I'm not going to handle this wedding with kid gloves. I'm going to be honest here.
Speaker 2: I don't just talk the talk. So this is a reference to the fact that I said not a big fan of Don't Stop Believing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Furthermore, not a big fan of like eighties rock played at a wedding for a dance floor it's not a rock floor, Tie, it's a dance floor.
Speaker 3: The natural fissure here between you and I is that my wedding was much more of the traditional variety and yours, based on the hints I've gotten, will be anything.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's my doing.
Speaker 3: The difference is here will be highlighted in our style of wedding. Yeah, and there will be some criticism. I hope you're prepared for that. I hope it doesn't strain this relationship. I don't think it will. But we should also realize that it's neither one of us is fully in.
Speaker 2: Jar now never. That's the way it works. But no, I welcome the critique. I am excited for you and solid wife Kate to come out and celebrate.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. I am.
Speaker 2: Do you have anything, you have any plans that you want to get done Chicago?
Speaker 3: No, I'm an open book. I'm an open book. I can tell you we probably won't be as gung ho on the food circuit as you might be. When you go to a new city.
Speaker 1: When do you get in?
Speaker 3: We get in early Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: Are you going to try to get deep dish pizza?
Speaker 3: Tie?
Speaker 2: I think I almost have to write yeah, go to so the recommendation I've gotten, I haven't been to this place. I've been to the other place is and it's fine. Pea quads p e quods. It's like a more local experience than a touristy place. Pea quads for pizza.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll check that out.
Speaker 1: I really want to get there. So look that's all I got.
Speaker 3: Now. This is a free form show, a free form show. We do appreciate everyone listening. We hope you will review the show out on out on iTunes, go back and listen to some of the stuff we've been doing all spring. I am very excited for what is to come because after you get married, this is going to move very quickly through June and into July. And once we get to July, that's when it starts getting interesting. It starts getting interesting because we've got some shows that are that are planned out. We're gonna do the History of Solid Verbal show, which I might be more excited for than any show we've ever done. That's probably going to be in July. We will be in person doing that show. I'm gonna come up and do that show with you. Hell yes, We've also got the bill Barnwell show, which we have yet to schedule, but I'm equally as excited for that show. Last time we talked about EMO. This time, can we talk about what.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about? I mean, do you want people stealing the ideas high? No, you're right, we'll reveal that at a later point in time. But it's it's everything else nostalgic. Yes, And we are once again gonna be joined by the esteemed Bill Barnwell.
Speaker 3: And then there will be a live show. We're gonna do our live Fantasy Thing show. Can't wait at some point in August. Well, we'll in person draft after our Fantasy Things teams for the coming football season and details will be forthcoming on that as well. And then we're in the season. Then once we get to August, we're previewing teams, We're getting into actual schedules, talking about really where the rubber meets the road.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: So this is gonna this is gonna happen very quickly. Now, I hope you're ready.
Speaker 2: Fantasy Things Live Draft will be in probably Manhattan.
Speaker 1: With food availability. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Once again, last time, we had a great time at Hill Country Chicken. Everybody was eating fried chicken and drinking beer something similar to that, But we will. It's going to be a bigger venue.
Speaker 3: A bigger venue. Yeah, bigger venue.
Speaker 1: That's all I got.
Speaker 3: Time me as well. On that note, Dan, Yes, enjoy your week enjoy your weekend. We'll be recording a little bit earlier next week to accommodate your exciting schedule. Go on mooning for that guy over there, Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty Hilton Brandt. Thanks for tunians at the South Urble. We will catch you home on peace