Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air emywhere just relax your mind because the weekend has begun, at least for me, and I don't know for Danny.
Speaker 1: He's still got other stuff to do.
Speaker 3: But it is the Fifth Hour with me, Ben Mahler and the man booing over there, Danny g. As we slide in to the extra Crispy not original recipe. This is the Extra Spicy Fifth Hour podcast. And it is Friday, the third day of May. As we head into the weekend, it's Kentucky Derby weekend, which means over the weekend we will have lots of photos on social media of really wealthy people and people that think they're very important wearing really funny hats.
Speaker 4: If you hadn't read the DraftKings, Kentucky Derby commercial of the past two weeks. Would you have known that it was coming up this weekend?
Speaker 3: No, We've done that National Thoroughbred Racing commercial a ton.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah for the safety, yeah, the improvements of the safety of the sport. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm not that bright, I admit it. I don't really know that much.
Speaker 3: But I figured that since we were doing that, there must be a big horse race. And then I was like, well, it's I can't believe it's already May. That's usually what happens after April. And I was like, okay, so this is around the time we have the Kentucky Derby. And sure enough, the Kentucky Derby is this weekend, which at one point when I first started at the Premiere then it was called the Premiere Radio Networks. Now it's just called the Premiere Networks. I think, I think that's what it's called, but I don't even know the name of the company. But they carried they were the play by Blay home of the Kentucky Derby. They had the rights to the Kentucky Derby when I first started at the company. And it's the perfect sporting event for today's times cause it's the greatest two minutes.
Speaker 1: In sport, you can give two minutes to the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 3: You don't have to sit there and watch all the nonsense before and the nonsense after. But you're fine for a couple minutes if you can time it, if you know when the post time is and you can get in there, it's perfect. You know, you can enjoy it and then move on with your day and you can watch it on your phone or whatever you want.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 1: It's a perfect sporting event. Perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I watch this every year, but the build up, the lead up to the race, it's so time consuming and I get kind of antsy. I'm like, I want to see the race already, and by the time they finally get to it, it's just man, talk about two three four hours of lead up for just two minutes. It feels like when you're at a theme park and you wait for two hours to get on a stupid roller coaster that lasts for thirty five seconds.
Speaker 3: Well, some have used the analogy, and this would be inappropriate. I should not say this, but some have used the analogy. To me, it's kind of like dating. You know, a lot of meals, a lot of you know, going out a lot of small talk for about two minutes.
Speaker 4: You know you can finish in eleven seconds, and you finally get with her exactly.
Speaker 3: He spent all this time, and then the payoff does not last all that long. Now, if Rob Manford ran the Kentucky Derby, he'd be like, all right, we got short in this race. It's too long. It's two and a half three minutes. We gotta get this thing down to sixty seconds or no one's gonna watch, dud.
Speaker 4: You're not kidding men. Can I tell you about that B game in Arizona? It's the extra innings. My wife, he walks in the bedroom. I have it on and she's like, why do they still have the stupid runner on second? And I say, you gotta ask your boy Rob Manfred about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, fraud.
Speaker 4: They already sped it up. It's fast enough, get rid of that. I explain to her that in the postseason it goes away. She's like, that's stupid. The game's already fast enough. Now get rid of that altogether. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They just want to get everything over with as quickly as they possibly can. It's like once they get passed, they don't want to play past ten o'clock. Most of the games start at seven o'clock. Some of them now start a little bit before seven. In your local city, it'll start like six fifty or something like that. But they they don't want to go past ten, like something happens. It's like if you go past ten, you're in molten lava or something along those lines.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it is.
Speaker 3: It is May thirty, as we stated, and it is National Paranormal Day. That's not really that big for us, but if you're George Nori, this is a massive day, right if over there at coast to coast and all, it's a massive holiday and you try to figure out the paril normal, fascinated with the unknowable.
Speaker 1: The other side, there's.
Speaker 4: Like an a fool person beside it and another one inside, and it has big guys.
Speaker 2: They're looking at us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big guys.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go get some alien beef jerky on my way to Vegas, is what I'm gonna get. In beautiful Baker, California, it's International Wild Koaladay.
Speaker 4: Today, which is which is big.
Speaker 3: And my favorite Koala thing when I was a kid is a big deal. My mom spent about seven months, as I remember it's probably about a week, but for when I was a child, it was like seven months.
Speaker 1: She was so excited that they had koalas at.
Speaker 3: The San Diego Zoo and we were going to go on a family trip to the San Diego Zoo to see koalas. And she kept telling me about koalas and I was like, Oh, this is going to be the most exciting thing in the world. And we went to the San Diego Zoo to see quals when I was a kid, and A they were hiding, couldn't really find them, and B when we saw them, they were like sleeping, yawning.
Speaker 4: It was it was like the Yeah, it's a huge ripoff. It's like the famous otter at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. This otter is famous for dancing around and communicating with people through the glass. I mean, schools would bring their kids filled on buses to see this dumb otter. So I finally go there. I take my girlfriend. At the time, I'm showing off like yeah, wait to see this famous otter. We get there, this little bastard's curled up in a ball, sleeping the whole time. The whole time, and then I'm like, well, we'll come back, We'll come back at the end.
Speaker 1: Came back.
Speaker 4: The bastard was still asleep.
Speaker 3: They probably gave it adderall to do the commercial.
Speaker 4: You saw him after his morning crash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we did talk about this on this podcast. The greatest Koala bear thing is actually the video of them fighting in Australia.
Speaker 1: It's an old video. We thought it was new, but it's actually an old video.
Speaker 3: But they literally sleep like what was it fourteen fifteen sixteen hours a day or something like that, some ridiculous amount of time.
Speaker 1: They're hardly awake.
Speaker 3: And when they're awake, aren't they always drugged? Because of the eucalyptus they.
Speaker 4: Eat sounds like some of your listeners and what they do in the daytime?
Speaker 3: Ow dare you anyway? So international wild? The Koala day always big. They also we mentioned the Kentucky Derby. It is Kentucky Oaks Day today, which I'm told this is also part nobody talks about Kentucky Oaks. Have you you know, have you been to the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 1: I've never been to the Kentucky You've never been.
Speaker 3: No, you know, a guy did college radio with you would not know this because how would you know this a guy did college radio with at ksb Ard Satify College, ended up becoming the public address announcer at Churchill Downs. He got into horse racing. I've told the story a few times over the years. I had an opportunity early in my radio career when I was working in San Diego to be the track radio reporter, and I did consider it. Now, I did not like horse racing at the time. I've grown to like it as i've gotten older. At the time, I didn't know anything about it. I didn't never been to the track. But the job was open. And if you remember, this is back in the Stone Age, before the Internet, and so the way it would work is the local race tracks, Hollywood Park and Santa Anita. They would pay someone a lot of money to call in every hour on a couple of different radio stations and give the results from the third race at Santa Anita or the fourth race at Hollywood Park. And you'd give the results and that was your gig, and you got paid a lot of money for it. At the time, it was a lot more money than I didn't have any money at the time.
Speaker 4: This was before ESPN the phone caught on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a long time ago, but I needless to say, I didn't a I didn't take the job and be that job doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: But at the time, I was like, this is pretty.
Speaker 3: Attractive because there's money, but I do it because I didn't really care that much about horse racing. It's one of those decisions that in hindsight, I think I made the right call on that one.
Speaker 4: You know, you're you're a radio nerd, you would love this. So when San Francisco, when the Giants there had an opening for their voice, their public addresses, the public address. Yeah, the stadium public address announcer job was open. And as you know, these are very rare jobs to open because when people get in those jobs they stay until they croak. Yeah. Right, it's a high paying gig, and it's a high profile gig. As you can imagine, every radio guy within three hundred miles showed up and lined up for the tryouts. And I was just a kid at the time. So I go there. I line up with a couple of radio buddies from one of my first I think it was my very first radio station, and Ben it was so funny, the very first guy and you got they gave you lines to read, and so your voice this is booming through the stadium. The very first guy was like some famous DJ from like a big FM oldies station in the Bay Area. His voice boomed through the stadium Like God. Half the people got out of the line and went back to their cars. Yeah, I'm not competing with that, dude. Why And it turns out they hired in the very very San Francisco thing to do. They hired the very first female that MLB ever had as a public address announcer. Yeah, and let me tell you, and I'm not being yeah, not Neanderthals, but she was not the best who audition that day. She just was not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So they gave it because they wanted to, you know, impress their friends, I guess.
Speaker 4: But I actually it's like what your rams did back in the day and what they'd still do with cheerleaders.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I don't look at the cheerleaders. I'm there for the game. But anyway, I actually have a public address announcer a story that I indirectly know the public address announcer the New York Yankees, and we have a mutual friend and I've I've been introduced to him I've met him a few times. His name is Paul Olden, the.
Speaker 4: Great Ted so Yeah, I know that guy's name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ted Ted Soble and Paul Olden kind of grew up in LA radio together. They went to school together, and Paul Olden went on he went to Dorsey High School where my dad went by the way in l A.
Speaker 1: And was a play by play guy for.
Speaker 3: The Angels, the Devil Rays, the Cleveland and he's all these teams back in the day and and he he's most famous though for one question that he that he asked Tommy the sorta what's.
Speaker 1: Your opinion of Kingman's performed? How do you think my opinion?
Speaker 4: King Guy?
Speaker 3: Anyway, so that guy, Paul we gotta ask that question. He is now the public address announcer at Yankee Stadium. He replaced Bob Shephard. Bob Sheppard had been the Yankee Stadium announcers since the nineteen fifties, early nineteen fifties, so he was back when you know, Yogi, Bearra and all those legends, and Paul Olden replaced them. And I don't want to get too inside baseball, but from what I understand, Paul Olden makes a lot of money, more money than I make. And he just does the eighty one home games and then they send him to Florida for spring training.
Speaker 1: He does the games in March in Tampa.
Speaker 4: Like that's what I said. People hold onto those jobs until they croak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he works roughly, and if the Yankees made the playoffs, they'll have to work a little bit more.
Speaker 1: God forbid. But he ends up working.
Speaker 3: Maybe one hundred and ten, one hundred and twenty, probably not even that many days a year and gets paid an unbelievable amount of money enough to live comfortably in New York work. I think they take care of some other expenses of the Yankees. They really take care of their public dress announcers. So and the Bob Shephard, if you remember, he was the guy who was like old school. He had the big announcing. He had the announcing voice, not a radio voice, more of a number two Jita Derek Jita.
Speaker 4: Almost like a Broadway.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's like yes, like you know Broadway, New York Broadway. He had that kind of delivery. But his famous one was was Gita number two lead off hit number whatever he said, And it's on.
Speaker 1: You know YouTube if you want to look it up and all that.
Speaker 4: Well, here's a good question for you, because for a moment, you did Dodger talk.
Speaker 3: I did briefly, very briefly, probably bad at it.
Speaker 4: But yes, I remember being a little kid here in Los Angeles and you were on AM five seventy l A Sports doing Dodger Talk, Like, who's this guy? Little did I know years later be spending all these hours doing radio with you. Now, would you rather be a baseball play by play announcer or the public address announcer at a stadium?
Speaker 3: So it would be more fun to be the play by play guy you would have, I think today, based on the climate, you'd be more stable as a stadium announcer. I actually did do the stadium announcing for one Dodger Padre game.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: The public address announcer at the time, Mike Carlucci, was late to the ballpark. He was recording a video game. As I remember, Mike, one of the great guys, Mike Carlucci, a just wonderful.
Speaker 4: Guy, which is your voice was booming through Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is a great story, right, So I'm there, you know, I'm freeloading in the press spot.
Speaker 4: This is.
Speaker 1: Back in the days, I was there every night.
Speaker 3: Now I can't even get.
Speaker 1: A pass most nights.
Speaker 3: But back when I was, you know, cool, before Otani and all of Tokyo came in to cover the Dodgers racist. Well, no, I was there when No More Mania was going on and all that. But but so the public address announcer Mike Calucci supposed to get there an hour before the game. You're supposed to do all the pregame introductions and all this, you know, all this stuff. So they start doing the pregame stuff and he's not there, and so I get a tap on the shoulder from Ed Arnold. I don't know if you know who Ed Arnold is. Ed was on Channel five in l A great man. Ed Arnold sportscaster at Channel five and h and Ed says, Hey, the PA guy's not here. We need somebody, you know that, the Dodgers looking for somebody. I recommended you. And I'm looking at it, Ed, I'm like, why would you know what are you doing?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Ed was just so thoughtful. He knew this would be like a big thing.
Speaker 3: And so I went over there and they're like, yeah, we need you know, you got to do the starting lineup for the Padres and you have to introduce like the national anthem and read the pregame you know, note and all.
Speaker 4: Were there any names where you got nervous right away? Like Ship?
Speaker 3: Fortunately there were no names I could not pronounce.
Speaker 4: I would that would have been more, can you imagine.
Speaker 3: But here's a fun fact on that. The guy that was in the lineup that I remember it was Ross Newhan's son, David Newhan, I believe his name, the baseball writer was the lead baseball writer for the LA Times. His kid actually was a Major League baseball player and this was his first game at Dodger Stadium. And I'm doing the PA introducing introducing him. But by the time the game started he showed up. So I only did the pregame stuff. I didn't do do the game. But still did they pay you? Oh god, no, no, Although I did have a copy of it on a cart which I can't play anymore. I don't even know what the cart is, but I had. I did have a recording of it on a cart. We used to The guys on the station used to bust my balls because of how bad I was at it.
Speaker 1: But anyway, that was. That was something I did not plan on talking about.
Speaker 4: That's never I've heard just about every one of your stories. I've never heard that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was wild and Ken Caminetti, the late Ken Camanetti, was on the padres. I remember introducing his name. He's dead, John. I'd have to go back and look, I could, I could. I know the date. I have it written down somewhere. I'd have to go back and look at the date.
Speaker 4: Did you say no? Roid it up?
Speaker 3: They were all on roids in those days. Man, it was a steroid palooza. So now this week is Friday. We're having a good time here. I woke up, I want to say it was on Wednesday of this week, and I had the sniffles. And you know when you wake up and you have the sniffles, You're like, oh crap, this is a four shock. This is the beginning of an illness.
Speaker 4: Especially when you feel like scratchiness in your throat. Yeah, that's bad. I got to stave this off.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: You have five dollars for that word, so.
Speaker 3: It's a big word. So what I did is I activated. I activated my superpower. My right hand was getting a workout. How dare you I went into not the medicine count. I acted like an Egyptian. You know, the Egyptians worship this, and I'm like an Egyptian. I worship it too. I got a nice big handful of garlic, and I took my knife. Out of course, I peeled the garlic. I then cut the garlic in half and sucked on that thing like a jolly rauncher, jolly rancher candy. And and it worked. I did not I did not get sick. I continue to preach at the altar of the garlic. It is a super strong natural antibiotics, nature's antibiotic.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can suck on it and that'll make it better.
Speaker 3: If you can get it. You gotta get it early, because I have tried this after I've gotten all the way sick, and it doesn't work.
Speaker 1: It does shorten it a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, but it does kill the infection in your throat if you get.
Speaker 4: It right away.
Speaker 3: And so I tip of the headphones Danny to the garlic.
Speaker 1: And again we talked about this a couple of weeks ago. I think maybe it was last week.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It all runs together, but the Egyptians worshiping garlic as a god, and in this house, in the Malor House, I worship it.
Speaker 4: As I think that was on the tail of your Gilroy trip.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yeah, in the Gilroy infact, we got some little garlic things, you know, different garlic stuff at the gift shop there, and I told my wife we had like garlic chips or not garlic chips, garlic bits that I hadn't seen anywhere else, not garlic powder, garlic bits. So I told my wife her brother, my brother in law, lives not far from Gilroy. That's why we went there. So I said, hey, we're gonna have to go see your brother again. It's got to go back and.
Speaker 4: Get more garlic as you spray on your garlic deodorant. Yeah, yeah, it's just absolutely bathe in that. If you could, I probably would.
Speaker 3: I probably probably would do that. So the Malard Meet and greet is coming up. I can't promote this enough, Danny, because this is the last Friday before the Malor Meet and greet, which is next Friday.
Speaker 1: And it's gonna be a bit of a.
Speaker 3: Dicey thing because I'll be away from the watch Post most of next week because of my trip to visit family and it's a long trip and I have to visit family on both sides. My wife's family lives in North Carolina. My brothers are gonna be in town as well, So we're gonna be away for a little bit. But on next next Friday, May tenth, so a week from today. That would be a week today's May third, So week from today May tenth, three o'clock to five o'clock, Charleston, South Carolina, My Father's Mustache.
Speaker 1: We told the story last week.
Speaker 3: This guy Dale, big stud, great guy, big fan of the show. Dale's listened on the West Coast and the East coast. He moved to Charleston a couple of years back, and he's the one that kind of set this up for us, and so we we thank him for that. But it's an English pub, My Father's Mustache, James Island location.
Speaker 1: There's a couple of locations.
Speaker 4: Will be there.
Speaker 3: I'll be there from three o'clock to five o'clock.
Speaker 4: I hope there's no competing radio station across the street. At my mother's Sideburns.
Speaker 3: Well, we do have a guy lady Sideburns. There is a fan of the show on.
Speaker 4: On Oh yeah, yeah, I heard him on Ask Ben.
Speaker 3: So I was already getting ripped from some of the guys when I mentioned it was an English pub on the Overnight Show. People were sending me messages. You're going to South Carolina, you can't find a barbecue place.
Speaker 4: Really, there's no pub called General Lee odare. Yeah, by the way, is this true? I heard if Fifth Hour or Ben mallor Overnight listeners show up with Confederate battle flags, they get a free drink.
Speaker 3: Well, I did like that Duke's of Hazard when I was a kid, and I think they had that on General Lee. They had the flag. But no, I who knows what's going to show up. I'm told there's a lot of that was that was a long time ago. That was a low bloke, but I'm four years ago. Yeah, you know, it's the blink of an eye, but I am. I'm told there's a lot of x Now. They call them ex pats if they're from you know, America. But if you're from a state and you leave, what do they say for ex California?
Speaker 1: Like, what do they say? I don't know what the term for that?
Speaker 4: Assholes?
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what.
Speaker 4: Us. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I still remember the guy in Walmart when we were waiting on I was waiting online to return something. This guy from Texas was there online and was the whole time we were waiting online, was complaining about how people from California were going to Texas and they were voting the same lunatics into office that they voted in California, and he was like losing his mind.
Speaker 1: Was like, and I know.
Speaker 3: People in Carolina probably are feeling the same way. But it is an English pub, which makes sense. It's perfect for the show because when I did a Malard meat and greet couple of years ago in Appleton, Wisconsin, Danny, we met at a Mexican fusion restaurant in Appleton, Wisconsin. So we do Mexican food in Appleton, we do. We do English food in South Carolina. What's your favorite.
Speaker 4: English food, Danny?
Speaker 1: Favorite English food?
Speaker 4: You probably probably it's got to be the English muffin the Englishman.
Speaker 3: What about bangers and mash? What about that? They've got some fun name food in England. It all looks disgusting. They've got blood blood sausage. They've got that beef Wellington, which.
Speaker 1: I think I had. I've had that a few things. There's something called this is not on the menu. This is just English food.
Speaker 3: Devil's kidney or devil kidneys?
Speaker 1: Does that sound good?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: You know who'd like that is the guy in Vegas that ate the guy's That guy would like that. The cannibal, Well, he might have done that too. I don't know, but he was on camera. Remember he killed the guy and started chopping.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the ass was next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Shepherd's pie.
Speaker 3: That's English.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cobbler. I don't know.
Speaker 3: But we'll have a good time, I think, I mean, I hope, hope you have a good time. I'm planning on having a good time. That's the the expectations. Well, see if that happens.
Speaker 4: But by the way, I think it's I think it's Nooks and Crannies.
Speaker 3: I said Nanny's Oh did you it's actually an adult movie with that name.
Speaker 4: So no, that's Brook.
Speaker 1: All right, tyd.
Speaker 3: But let's get to the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for the phrase of the week? Danny g phrase? Yeah, on the fifth hour. We like words. We are word people.
Speaker 4: I don't know this is true. I've heard that you are a word Smith.
Speaker 3: Wrong. My grandfather's last name, my mom's last name, maiden name was Smith, So yeah, I could be a word smith.
Speaker 4: Oh, there's no question.
Speaker 3: The phrase of the week this week is good things come to those who wait. What do you think that came from Danny? You've heard that, right, Good things come to those.
Speaker 4: Who wait, probably from someone who waited for their life to get together and they died without anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a success. That's an uplifting story.
Speaker 4: No, usually that's crap. That's somebody that's just trying to paint a brighter day for you and they're full of shit. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like money doesn't make happiness, you know, but it certainly can buy a lot of it.
Speaker 1: And it might not make it, but it can buy anyway. Good things come to those who wait.
Speaker 3: A lot of people think that came from the Bible. Doesn't that sound like it's from the Bible?
Speaker 4: Does? Right?
Speaker 1: But it's not.
Speaker 3: It's not from the Bible. It is a variation of a proverb all things come to those who wait, that originated from a famous poem, French poem from many many years back. But here's the thing I love about this. The reason I brought this up that the modern usage of the phrase good things come to those who wait can really be credited to a marketing company for a beer the people over at Guinness, and it's not that old in the modern lexicon. It goes back to nineteen ninety six. About that marketing people for Guinness came up in nineteen ninety six. They came up with the advertising slogan good Things come to those who wait, and it showed the slow pore of a frothy pint of Guinness beer, and it took off. I love Guinness, and ever since then it has become universal. It's said all over, not just in the United States in the UK, but all over the world. And so the Guinness has used that advertising slogan in many commercials over the decades since. And for me, and I assume for you, Danny, I don't speak for you. It doesn't seem like nineteen ninety six was like a long time ago, But that's almost thirty years ago. That's almost a generation and a half.
Speaker 1: Nineteen yeah, ninety six.
Speaker 4: Which is kind of like that was still like President Clinton time. Yeah, that was like the end of his run, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was having fun with Monica Lewinsky in nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 3: I think I did not have a sexual relacense for that woman. A little foody fun and then we'll put the baby to bed. Little foody fun here. These are actual food stories from around the food universe. McDonald's complaining about their sales. The sales are not doing that well so far this year, which.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not a regular at Mickey D's.
Speaker 3: But in order to try to drum up artificial sales, they are going to step up the app deals, where we talked in a previous episode of this podcast Danny about how the fast food comes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, there is the app. Their other plan they've been advertising on this very podcast.
Speaker 1: Good for them, Good for them, and we promote them.
Speaker 3: McDonald's in Japan they have a if you want this, you have to go to Japan. Good luck, A new pancake pie, a tastier sensation, a maple butter hot cake pot.
Speaker 4: Oh man, you had me at Maple isn't or anything with maple is delicious.
Speaker 1: It's hard to screw up maple.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would bite into a maple tree. That is well.
Speaker 3: Subway has kicked off. It's of course we're in early May here. They've kicked off buy one foot long, get one free now through May thirteenth, so you've got another ten days or so to take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: How much is a foot long?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 3: How much is a subway foot log in California? It's probably thirty I was gonna.
Speaker 4: Say, I want, I want to say, I'm going to look it up, but it's like nine dollars and fifty cents or something.
Speaker 1: I went in to.
Speaker 3: Get my Canniac Combo on my birthday because I know what else could you eat on your birthday? So I went in there to get my Caniat combo at my favorite place raising canes, and I went in there, and the price since I first got the Canniac combo a few years back, it is now my My total order was nineteen dollars and ninety cents just for the Caniata nineteen dollars and ninety cents. It's gone up almost seven dollars since I first bought it a few years man.
Speaker 4: By the way, Ben, I was nine cents off subway. Here on Uber eats for a Turkey Cali club nine dollars and fifty nine cents. Man, that is ridiculous. Well, if you buy ten dollar foot ten dollar foot long.
Speaker 3: Hey, isn't that guy Jared getting out of jail soon. I think he might be about to be.
Speaker 4: He got a ten dollar foot log inside jailh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Subway.
Speaker 3: They probably don't have that in California, I bet because of the fast food wages that they got to pay now. So I'm guessing they don't have that everywhere. But it says nationally. It says Nashally Wendy's in Canada adding new sausage Bacon Deluxe to the menu.
Speaker 4: Very exciting.
Speaker 3: And if you're listening to us on this podcast in Dallas or Chicago, make sure to go out to Taco Bell if you want to try the new turo chiller. Hell is that it's described as the ultimate Mexican inspired sipping snack. The new turo Chiller. They've got sweet vanilla Mexican chocolate. Du'l say something something wild strawberry.
Speaker 4: There you go. Solci and Gabana.
Speaker 3: I don't know, went in doubt, Danny, Yeah, leave it out. That's what I said, went in doubt, leave it out.
Speaker 1: Pause, Hey, this is you brought this up? I was it you that brought this up?
Speaker 3: I think you did on this podcast that you said with the increase in fast food wages, this will lead to a doom in.
Speaker 1: Yes, I saw. I was written a story this week.
Speaker 3: Denny's claims that they are now benefiting from the laws in California that you sit down restaurant. Mid level restaurant like Denny's is now benefiting because they don't have to their people make money off tips. I said, they get most of their money. Are people tipping big at Denny's. I don't know, Probably average tips, I would say. But Denny's hasn't had to raise wages like they have at the fast food restaurants in California, and so as a result, they are benefiting. And also all the fast food restaurants have raised the prices of the food. So it's like I just talked about me getting raising canes and it was twenty dollars for my combo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I can go to Denny's and get a meal and an appetizer, probably for that, I don't know for sure about that, but it's close and you get a sit down meal.
Speaker 4: It's the way to go. Last Sunday had BJ's. He did brew house congratulations. Yeah, I'm not talking about After we got home and it was really good, new items on the menu. The place was jumping inside it was twenty dollars for each of us. I would rather do that than go through a stupid fast food crap drive through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fast food's always hit and miss, and you got to eat it right away, like it self destructs. If you don't eat it right away, it doesn't taste nearly as good. And so that's that's problematic as well. All right, we'll get out on that. It's Friday, Danny. What you got going on Covino and Rich today?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, so a busy day, Ben, because I'm gonna produce this fine podcast, send it out to the world, then drive my ass to the studios in Sherman Oaks, California for Coveno and Rich fun Friday show there. And then right after Coveno and Rich, I'm gonna get in my car, suffer through traffic on the four h five to the one eighteen to get to the five to go through the Grapevine because I'm taking my butt to Fresno where I'm gonna crash, wake up early in the morning, and then drive to Bass Lake for the fishing derby.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is the weekend.
Speaker 4: This is the weekend.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, we'll have to hear more more about that as we go through the weekend. Anyway, have a wonderful, wonderful rest of your day here on this Friday, and again, tell a friend if you're in the area there in South Carolina, North Carolina, Wilmington, North Carolina, anywhere in that area, or anything within reasonable driving business. Malard meet and greet week from today. I'm sure we'll talk more about it throughout the weekend.
Speaker 1: Anyway, have a wonderful day.
Speaker 4: We'll catch you next time later. Skater gotta murder, I gotta go.