Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Waken Jake myself a hobbit from the shire BBD on his birthday. He's seventeen. Folks, be careful in the comments. Hope you all had a good weekend, like long extended weekend too. How about that fourth of July. I hope you got to go to the beach your griller. God, it was a jealous pool weekend. I know BBD got some of that in that. I was definitely craving some of that. It was gnarly hot, muggy gross in the Northeast. That conditions were perfect for that. I watched a lot of sports, including soccer. How about the Copas euro Cup, Copa America No USA and some shots fired at Brazil coming in this episode, which we'll talk about in a little bit. But we're going to talk a lot of baseball because that's what goes on here and people might know him in New New York Yankees fan. There's a Derek Jeter hype poster behind me. Not self conscious at all? The New York Yankees. Is it five and fifteen? Now five and sixteen? That's the worst one I can get.
Speaker 2: There, I know.
Speaker 3: Jimmy mentioned after the show five and fifteen, and that's like three games worse than anybody else in that period. But I think the stretch extends longer than that.
Speaker 1: The New York Yankees that were off to an electric start forty nine and twenty two, fifty and twenty two. How about we go there, the first team in Major League Baseball to fifty wins. That makes the matth easier for us. That would be five and fifteen, because they are now fifty five and thirty seven. The Orioles have a three game lead in the Al East. The Boston Red Sox have now beaten them in back to back series. The Boston Red Sox as of today are in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: And I want to dive.
Speaker 1: Into the reality or the try to find some truths and some fandoms in the Yankees swoon because this is now three straight years, three straight years the Yankees. Last year, it does line up with Judge getting hurt, who he has been incredible this year and he has done nothing but proof since kind of when he got called up slash, especially since twenty twenty two that he is on a different mode than any other player. So last year Judge happens, it's oddly revealing to how thin the Yankees lineup was.
Speaker 2: You know what was it?
Speaker 1: I guess in twenty two was when we first found out how thin the Yankees lineup was.
Speaker 2: That's when they traded Monty for Harrison Bader.
Speaker 3: Right those During the twenty two season.
Speaker 1: The Yankees had a historically bad August, one of the worst months in franchise history. And it was kind of like damn like DJ got hurt. Matt Carpenter, who had been amazing for the Yankees and his if you did numbers and his minimum games played, he was one of the best hitters in baseball, which was insane that the Yankees hitting just entirely collapsed. I think that was sad Glabor Torres after he thought he was traded that. I think he had a historically bad August. The Yankee shortstop conversation was up in the air that whole time they traded for Andrew ben Tende. He got hurt that the Yankees. It was what it was like, It was a good It felt like a good case study on man how quickly injuries and just how a season can change on a diamond baseball That last year, the Arizona Diamonbacks hit the playoffs. They are running. Their lineup feels deep. They're getting Brandon fott Is giving incredible pitching performances. That they were the example last year of like, hey make the dance, play some good ball, let's see what happens. They took down the Dodgers that had owned them for that regular season slash the past decade. That the twenty two Yankees, it very much felt like, Wow, boy, did the injury bug roll in? This is tough. The lineup fell apart. That's life, Frank Sinatra. What they should play when they lose, that's for another time. Twenty twenty three last season, I mentioned Judge gets hurt. We have a live party during that game, and it felt innocent at the time. Judge's toe goes into the wall. The big fellas out. The season falls apart. The lineup always felt thin. It was the question mark coming into the season. We were laughing. I think we have a newspaper in our office that was like, who's gonna be in the Yankees lineup? Which often is not a questions. It's a little spoiled Yankees fan. You usually can go around the diamond pretty good. Usually there's one or two positions that's like, yeah, well, you know, they'll they'll see if they figure it out.
Speaker 3: And if they don't, it's like a known we're track for somebody big at the.
Speaker 2: Deadline, right who's coming to the Yanks.
Speaker 3: Who's the best one That they got.
Speaker 1: To the deadline, they were so so Kate Middleton that they did nothing, which led to one of my favorite phrases in the company's history, jose McFly saying doing nothing is crazy because it was you either needed to help this crew or you need to sell on it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then they like soft Cell, they dfae Baiter, they dfaid Josh Donaldson, Josh Donaldson, don't get let me started on that. Go check out his wedding content.
Speaker 2: That last year.
Speaker 1: It was just like, damn, this Yankees lineup is thin. It felt like they misplayed the corner outfield market that we talked about for a while.
Speaker 2: Felt like they got to slice.
Speaker 1: A humble pie just between some stuff in their analytics department and the Yankees kind of just always expecting to make the playoffs. But I don't know, there was this looming cloud of the New York Yankees with Aaron Judges' new massive contract. Garrett Cole wins the cy Young his massive contract that it was like, okay, so we kind of have two historic Yankees right now the Yankees franchise. Whenever we do their pitching stuff, it gets pretty shocking pretty quick. That Garrett Cole, you know, he is going to be on the pantheon of all time Yankee pitchers.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Garrett.
Speaker 1: Aaron Judge, he has entered the chat. Now. There's been a lot of good time Yankees that played for a long time, but Judge breaking the Ale home run record, Babe Ruth and what he's continued to do this season. You know, Aaron Judges put himself in some pretty rare Yankee air that it's like, Okay, if we've got these cats, then what are we doing? Cause I if we don't capitalize on their prime, there's probably gonna be a day when they look old and not in their prime.
Speaker 2: DJ Lemayhew the Yankees go out.
Speaker 1: Juan Soto, one of the best players in the game, one of the best players to ever play the game in the corner outfield left handed bat. Him and Judge one of the best, won two combos all time, Bingo Banngo Bongo, Alex Verdugo filling another lefty contact need, another corner outfield spot. One of the jokes on talking Yanks last year was the Yankees didn't play classically trained outfielders Willie Calhoun, Jack Bauers. We were thrown body out there. So they address those two needs. Anthony Rizzo was part of the collapse last year that I forgot to mention. He was balling out, gets a concussion, played two of the worst months of baseball that any player played that he got put in time out for the year. Okay, he's coming back this year. Maybe we can bank on some riz Stanton. Let's find out he got broken? Was that last year that he was what was the la dot la?
Speaker 2: All started.
Speaker 3: Good first half then whatever.
Speaker 1: So there's hope in Yankee Land. Carlos Rodin can't possibly be as bad as he's he was. Don't forget that part of the story. That was a massive contract that was part of the pairing with him and Judge and was part of the Yankees all time no good, very bad season. Naster's man, It's like, Okay, they signed Marcus Stroman. There's gotta be a few things that are gonna click with this team, and boy they did. Would I just say fifty and twenty two, first team to fifty wins. JOm jam Alama, Ding Dong, Jimmy O'Brien, John Boy on Wiki, no poker face, not a card playing cat that.
Speaker 2: He was putting out in episodes.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm I believe in this Yankees team more than I have in any team during talking Yank's history.
Speaker 2: So what's that mean?
Speaker 1: Twenty seventeen Upstart Punch Yankees team felt like a hell of an amusement park ride. There were championship hopes, but it never I don't know. It was everything right. It was house money. We're playing roulette. We'd want a bunch of bets if something cool happens either way. Like we're walking away from the table. We've already we started with two hundred dollars, We've got three thousand in our pocket and we're playing with a thousand out there that if we lose it, we lose it. We don't care. You come to find out Houston was cheating. You didn't love that in hindsight. But whatever, fun ride twenty eighteen it was a socks year. It's tough to admit. I would like to see that. Gary Sanchez ball, go out and play a game five whatever. Congrats, socks, We'll get to you later. Craig Kimberl Twenty nineteen was real hopes and dreams and a good team.
Speaker 2: So I don't know, just pocket that.
Speaker 1: It's like twenty seventeen, twenty nineteen, the start of twenty two. The lads were off to a great start, and it's something about it felt special between Judge and Rizzo.
Speaker 3: Judge Rizzo were good. I mean, DJ until the foot in August was having.
Speaker 2: His best year, getting on and getting over that.
Speaker 1: There was real belief in that time, and that's where I kept checking myself because I was, hey, I'm a sports fan and a baseball guy and a big Yankees fan that if the Yankees are good, I'm gonna be world serious.
Speaker 2: That's that's what.
Speaker 1: We need to do, even though they haven't been in fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Won five.
Speaker 1: We're gonna have kids born getting through high school that haven't seen the Yankees in the World Series, which that's nuts. The New York Yankees this year, the starting pitching was clicking. Uh, and we'll talk about that a little bit. The bullpen never felt right. Clay Holmes deserves respect as a very good major league reliever. Uh, there's some closer conversations that maybe I'll get to in a minute behind that, it was kind of sketch. Luke Weaver has been great, but first year as a bullpen guy, and then after that, it was it was a lot of bodies, and I think the bodies that Yankee fans expected to contribute were not, so that felt weird. Caleb Ferguson, Victor Gonzalez, a couple of these guys they brought in. It was it was just like, Okay, I kind of thought you were gonna be the guys and they weren't.
Speaker 3: Even if you were like pessimistic on the group, we all figured and one of these dudes will click, because that's what the Yankees have done in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Yankees.
Speaker 1: If they have one thing their organization deserves credit for, it's what they've done in the bullpen. So well, we let it ride. And that's the easiest thing to add at the deadline too, so.
Speaker 2: That's always available. Kind of no pressure there. Elizka hurt first week, Yeah, Johnny Louisa and wow, what the lineup? Go round the horn?
Speaker 1: Rizzo, you feel like it's gotta be some version of better, and he gave us a week two weeks, I want to say, end of April. That kind of looked promising, and it was like, Okay, if we know you have this in the bag, we don't have to rely on Anthony Rizzo. So that's you feel like you're gonna get a pro MLB at batt He's not gonna chase pitches.
Speaker 3: You can just be like steady.
Speaker 1: We got a catching platoon. We got a lefty and a righty. Trevy all the guy mashes lefties at a really high rate, Austin Wells. Let's see what the kids got. We like the at bats. Sure, Glibber Torres contract year. One of the best players on the team the previous year. Most consistent. I would say Volpi. It's only up right. Guy had a kind of a tough rookie season. In hindsight, he showed the smattering of the talent, and I don't like to say smattering. DJ's coming back. Let's find out. Right getting a lot of injuries, let's find out if not. Maybe as Waldo gets some run, which hey is a switch hitting, high energy, solid defense, Maybe there's something there, whether that's asset wise or just plug in for a month and then in the outfield Aaron Judge and center field waiting for Jason Domingez to come back. Let's see what that's about, surrounded by Soto and Verdugo like one of the best outfield outfields in baseball. Still probably grades out that way. With Stanton dhing which was a total wild card. You know, a lot of people were, let's pay him and cut him this offseason, Yanks.
Speaker 2: Bring him back. He looks like a threat.
Speaker 1: He was mauling homers a nice ops, not getting on base really, but whatever, he was doing what stan was asked to do, and he him leaving is almost right in the timeline with the Yankees falling out. Judge has been Judge, Soto's been Soto for Dugo's been lackluster for a little bit. Let's see what that's about. Anthony Volpi has regressed. Uh, he got slit up in the lineup and ever since he did, he's been a six hundred ops guy hitting in front of Juan Soto and Aaron Judge. God does that sting Rizzo gets hurt and he was bad that. We've got Ben Rice fun story kid hits three homers only game they won in the Red Sox Series. Glaber it looks like he's feeling the pressure of a contract year and he's been hurt. DJ looks cooked. The catchers come and go like they've been okay. Besides the running fiasco that Boston did to them two Sundays ago or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: They it feels like there's always been one of them kind of going and like you look at the numbers and it's like they're they're good, but because they split time and have never both been going, it hasn't felt like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they like I don't know, they don't have carry the offense energy either way.
Speaker 2: Even if they're.
Speaker 1: Going well from like the eighth hole and whatever. They they haven't been a problem, I think if everything else is happening. But they're the starting pitching regress to the worst starting pitching the past three weeks. And this might shock you trying to Okay, so let's get back to logic and crazy fandom. The Yankees are in the wildcar they're the number one wildcard team. Currently, they are equidistant from the Minnesota Twins in the Wildcard to the Baltimore Orioles ahead of them, So that's new starting pitching I'm cool with and I think if you went around the American League starting pitching, you know, of the current playoff teams, Yankees have an argument for the top spot still, like let's see where Cole's at. Luis Heal with a bounce back start is huge, and where's he going to be at at the end of the year. Rodan had a bounce back start. The Yankees' rotation can figure it out. Like Marcus Stroman has ebbs and flows, but he is a quality MLB starting pitcher. We'll see if Clark returns. Nestor at home it's been fantastic this year, Nestor on the road has not been.
Speaker 3: But cosmically like an overall view of the rotation.
Speaker 2: And they go toe to toe lately.
Speaker 1: Sure, I mean they've got burns at the top and they have guys always figuring it out in the past couple of years. But sure we can go toe to toe with them. I think Seattle, you would give them the nod just because it feels like they have four guys who are the same option almost that Seattle has that. But Yankees can go toe to toe with anyone starting pitching in the.
Speaker 2: AL playoff picture.
Speaker 1: Hitting wise, and this is this is where again, let's see where we get stacked up Baltimore. I think they're probably they're probably the guy right now. Cleveland has kept up and if you're looking for star power or quality talent like Stephen Kwan has been unbelievable this year. Jose Ramirez is year in and year out one of the best players. Josh Naylor has become a consistent threat, and they've just gotten young contributions up and down the lineup. That feels like year to year with them that last year is a bad thing. You're looking at these young guys in the lineup and you're like, oh, what's gonna happen there? This year looks like the opposite. David Fry is an All Star. They called up some kid who's now hitting two hole for them.
Speaker 2: What's his name? I don't even remember.
Speaker 3: Angel Martinez is sure six games in is one dotting.
Speaker 1: Let's find out, fella. Cleveland Guardians lineup wise are currently heads and shoulder above the Yankees. The Minnesota Twins are currently head and shoulder above the Yankees. Buxton has gone off, King Correa has gone nuts. He just got hit in the hand. We'll see what the update is there, Jose Miranda reading them the Miranda rights, making history, and then their lefties have just been like league average, which again the Yankees would If the Yankees had league average surrounding Juan Soto and Aaron Judge, they'd be an a lineup, but they just have not had that that The Twins lineup currently puts them under the table. The Red Sox lineup is currently putting them under the table. Duran's awesome Devers is incredible and probably gonna be all JM third baseman, and it just feels like, maybe it's Cora, maybe it's roster construction, but they they have a player empowerment thing that Rob Refsnyder against lefties is one of the best hitters in the league. They can play that card when they want. You know, they've got other Rafaela feels like he's coming into his own at the bottom of their lineup.
Speaker 2: Connor Wong has been incredible this year.
Speaker 1: That the Red Sox lineup top to bottom takes down the Yanks right now. I think for Seattle hitting has been a problem with them. That they don't have Judge and Soto, so I think he'd still lean Yankees there, but as again, playoff picture and don't make me bring Houston into the mix as they're hunting things down them in the Royals. I think the Royals lineup has outdone the Yankees. Houston lineup for sure has okay, so lineup wise, the New York Yankees are back amongst ale contenders, bottom tier.
Speaker 2: That's a problem. That's a problem.
Speaker 3: Bullpen.
Speaker 1: Clay Holmes makes the All Star Game whatever. Craig Kimberrell has been incredible and is a Hall of Fame closer. He should be in over him. They get in over ken Ley too.
Speaker 3: Wasn't the I believe both of them are not in.
Speaker 1: And how did Clay get put in? It was the commissioners.
Speaker 3: That's just like the how everybody gets just how they do it. It's a combination of player vote and hey, I think and I think they all vote. I think the votes happened like second week of June or something like. These results have been in. Don't want to be e ra slut. But ken Lee Janssen, who has an art in as a Hall of Fame closer as well UH two to oh one er in his thirty one point one innings pitch this year he's still electric.
Speaker 1: Kimbrel has been killing it two to one era thirty four point one innings pitch if you like strikeouts fifty two Uh that yeah, I mean these reliever numbers can fluctuate quickly. But these two historic closers having great seasons, getting having Clay go in before them feels a little.
Speaker 3: Off, like like every year with the All Star stuff, like ultimately everybody you one in is gonna get in there. Eventually, the injury replacements, the guys that are gonna just not be available for the game, so pitchers get in, sure, but you would think those guys just had the sex appeal over Clay just starting point, you would have thought it would be an uphill battle for Clay, who statistically had a very very good half.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and I Clay is a whole other argument. That's it's just mental hurdles for Yankee fans. We got lost in his Entry's come out song because it's just not closer caliber. I think if you went around the league right now or staying in the al again, Let's let's go to the World Series Yankees for the first time in fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Kim Roll.
Speaker 1: Kegan Iiken as kind of the lefty. Although the eras not great right now, but the other stats are three eight three, so it's not killing them. YENNI, your Cano and Jacob Webb has been great for them. I think i'd take the Orioles bullpen over the Yankees bullpen right now. Seattle, they got my guy Sendor Smoke back there, and they've been a bullpen factory themselves that I think you'd take Seattle's bullpen over there. Minnesota Duran on the back end, they've had a little bit of bullpen success recently. Go check out your boy Griffin Jacks twirling it back there. I think you take Minnesota's bullpen, whether you're just leaning into the guy on the back end and the other bodies back there, I think you take them. The Boston Red Sox, man, their bullpen is looking sharp. We talked about Kenley at the end of the game. Justin Slayton has been really good for them this year.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm not fully I'm not all in chips on the table with him yet. Chris Martin got hurt again. When he is out there, you'd like him. Their whole pitching staff has surprised us this year. I would be very interested to get neutral baseball fans opinion. Whose bullpen would you rather have? Yankees are Red Sox. I think recently it's been Red Sox, but I'll leave it open to conversation. And then who else do I got? So Red Sox? Oh, Guardians, they've had the best bullpen in baseball pretty much. You want the dude on the back end, they got that. And they've got other guys who are just shoving this year. So okay, So of playoff teams currently in the AL Yankees would have one of, if not the worst bullpen. So you've got maybe probably the second worst lineup as of right now, like we're starting it up today, you've got the second worst bullpen. Let's say you want to put one of the teams below them. As of right now, starting pitching is still there. But I think trying to do the logical Yankee thing right now, if they don't, what's April mean right now?
Speaker 2: What does may mean?
Speaker 1: It's July eighth, So those wins in the bank that you've been celebrating, what do they mean right now? It means there's probably more in the tank. The starting pitching went through a funk. I think they're gonna come out of it. That's gonna give you a lot better opportunities. They were due to regress for whatever reason. All happened in two weeks, right, but they seem to be getting back on you helf timing, and with where the lineup is at, there's a lot of three to zero holes. I think what was the Max Manus tweet? They were behind in thirteen out of fourteen games well above something insane that when the lineup's not going, it's just a daunting feeling, especially when it's just no depth in the lineup the length. The yankees last five wins have been all blowouts, so they've had like the massive inning they've gotten to the bad guys in the bullpen, that's game over.
Speaker 2: It's actually bad.
Speaker 1: Like if you're an outside looking inner and you're like, okay, Yankee fans, you're fifty five and thirty seven, this guy's not really falling whatever you're being dramatic.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: And it is gonna be a big, big trade deadline for the Yankees. And I don't know what big pieces out there. I don't know which Ammo they're willing to cash in amongst their their prospects.
Speaker 2: The Yankees.
Speaker 1: When's the last big prospect they traded?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, like big just.
Speaker 1: The big trades they've done in general, Olpi di Minguez. I think Spencer Jones is now like the big prospect. Yeah, I'm trying to think before that. I mean, it was like the Baby Bombers, which they they kept all of that, right.
Speaker 3: Justice Sheffield was technically at the time, he was a topic three at the time, I forget where. I mean, some lists had Thorpez like their best pitching prospect, number three in the ord move some pitchers, I'll say that they move guys and they tend to just link up with teams that want to do quantity over quality.
Speaker 1: But I think those guys were also not like top twenty five prospects, which is kind of like the can't miss, like these are the guys if you're really trading something, or at.
Speaker 3: Least it's like these guys are going to get an MLB opportunity, like you'll give you I think season.
Speaker 1: I think when Noelvie got traded Noeldie Marte for Luis Castillo, that was like, whoa, that's like a real prospect getting traded. I don't know, they need lineup depth. They need bullpen dept. Bullpen depth can happen. They have some veterans rehabbing, Scott f Ross. You might see lu Trevino at some point this year.
Speaker 2: Nick Birdie. Am I supposed to Where am I supposed to be?
Speaker 3: On?
Speaker 1: That bullpen? Can be figured out? The Yankees need to trade for some lineup and it'll be interesting to see who's on the table. Obviously, Ryan McMahon has been thrown out a lot. He's an All Star this year and supposedly the Rockies just love him. And I've done this on here before, but his contract can either look like great value or scary, depending where your team is at financially and where you think Ryan McMahon is at. There's not much you can do in the outfield. You can wait for Dimingez to come back, but you're gonna ride out Judge Soto doogie with Dominga is like that. That's cool. But right now we were a week ago saying the whole that the infield, the whole infield is now a question mark. Lolpi has been bad for a minute. He's twenty two. He's shown potential if he had just been in the nine hole. This whole time, we wouldn't be talking about it. So that's a little on the Yankees, who the whole thing about Volpi is them trying to not make it a thing. You made it a thing. Like his numbers have not been good at the major league level, especially at the top of the lineup. Especially at the top of the lineup. The catchers, we're not sure if they're gonna hit, and we don't know if they can play defense. It's kind of a tough combo. They haven't been a problem. One stolen base week was tough. But if that kills you in a playoff series, my god.
Speaker 2: The egg that's gonna be on everyone's face. And boy, can that kill.
Speaker 3: You in a playoff series?
Speaker 2: By the way, but check out my snakes first base.
Speaker 1: We've got a kid from Dartmouth who's got all the joy and hope in the world, and maybe that's gonna be part of the story of this season. That would be sick. And he's looked the part. So no shots fired there, so far, so good.
Speaker 3: If there's enough holes to fill though, like if that's their answer.
Speaker 1: There, Anthony Rizzo has not looked the part, and he's one of the most respected veterans in baseball, So how do you handle that? DJ Lemayhew, Lol, same cross the way at third or at first, and Glabor Torres, if he's not hitting at a high level, he's not a good player. If Glaber Torres is hitting at league average, he's a negative player. He plays bad defense, and he can't run at second base. So you got a second year shortstop who hasn't been able to put it together at the major league level. You got a contract year now injured second baseman that if he's not hitting at a high level a year where hitting is down across baseball, he's kind of not a contributing player. And you got two olds on the bookends and a rookie that we've seen a week of. You got to retool the You gotta retool a chunk of it. I know this is where sometimes Yankee fans get greedy and we want everything. I understand, you can't do everything like the shortstop. Shortstop is gonna be what it is like Anthony Volpi. You just need to play better. Dog, go have a Bobby wit second half. He can't like he has talent.
Speaker 3: Bottom half of the lineup. He doesn't have to hit that much better for us. To be like fine, yeah, he gets not far off.
Speaker 1: Sevens and he can be helpful, but he hasn't been that for two months. He's playing fine defense. The catchers, I think they're in too deep and I don't think you're gonna be able to get the asset that really makes you feel different on it. I know Jimmy dreams of Logan o' hoppy local boy. I don't know what the Halos. It's like the only thing they have to trade a massive prospect package. The Yankees aren't gonna do that. They don't do that.
Speaker 2: Either way.
Speaker 3: It's just it's an off season question.
Speaker 1: So then second base, third base, and first base, we got struggling veterans. Are you willing to move off them in any way, shape or form, And who can you bring in? And how many can you bring in? It's gonna be an interesting final stretch for the Yankees as they play Tampa in the trop although it looks like Tampa just got the business this weekend, they're back under five hundred please, And then you finish with the Orioles. We're playing a great brand of baseball and they have zero fear of the Yankees. The entire al East that the Yankees are under five hundred against nobody fears them. Boston gets excited to play the Yankees. You can see it on the players' faces. They're like, We're about to take you to hell because we can run, because we have like a team we believe in. I don't know, Uh, it's gonna be interesting if this Yankee skid continues. Let's okay, let's daydream in a bad way. Let's say this continues to the break. Jimmy, Jimmy last night talking Yanks, I said Rais and Orioles. He says, we're gonna be lucky if we win two games. Kind of agree. Let's say that happens or worse man All Star weekend, a lot of media things are gonna get pretty loud and rowdy. Again, the Yankees do have a lot of wins in the bank that even if that continues, there's still gonna be, you know, firmly in the wildcard picture with a decent All Star break record. Kind of although we're starting to get to no, I mean, they would still be Let's say they go one and five into the break, they're fifty six and forty two.
Speaker 3: That's what you're well.
Speaker 2: Like it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Think about how many teams we talked about there are more or less just five hundred.
Speaker 2: It's a good record. Man.
Speaker 1: They come out of the break and it's bad again. The trade pieces and you just wonder if our guy, our interview buddy, Aaron Boone, you wonder what conversations actually happen. Look what the Philadelphia Phillies did. Former Yankee manager Joe Girardi.
Speaker 2: Was let go.
Speaker 1: Rob Thompson took over, and Philly's been great, nothing but great since.
Speaker 2: Rob Thompson took over.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'll say. This is for the waken Jake people social team. Do not clip this because I just don't want to deal with the comments and our partnership with Boone this year, I had to send a weird email to his agent where I was like, Hey, don't think this is gonna happen, but this is kind of just smart business. I was like, we kind of have to put a clause in here that like, if Boone gets let go.
Speaker 3: What happens, what happens?
Speaker 2: We are not there.
Speaker 1: The Yankees have the ability between their starting pitching and if just one or two random guys in the lineup pop Look at Ben Rice, they can get out of this and be a solid, fine team and hopefully get some reinforcements. If not, things are gonna get louder than ever. Three straight years that just a disaster has happened, and that's something organizationally, that's something in the clubhouse. That's that's not baseball, Susan. That doesn't just happen. I feel like Rachel yelling at Ross it doesn't happen. Every guy, I haven't.
Speaker 2: Watched Friends in a while might have to fire that up.
Speaker 3: Largely holds up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I enjoy Friends. I know there's a lot of gen zers that kind of like, what is this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good, It's just good.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 3: Nobody's saying it's the best.
Speaker 2: Like people can show ever learn the characters. It's fun.
Speaker 3: I was having some thoughts last night about the manager situation. I've been going back and forth, like, all right, if if I wasn't like in it as a Yankee, like a team in an identical situation that I don't care about, was in this spot, and if I like woke up tomorrow and it was like they decided to let this, let them go, would I be surprised.
Speaker 2: I think I still would it was a great start, but.
Speaker 3: That's at the end of the season. No, I think that's at the end of the season. No, I think it was.
Speaker 1: But I still think you're getting polluted too much by knowing the Yankees that they take pride in not firing a manager. What's their stat We haven't fired a manager since ninety three or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: They just let contracts expire, so and they think that's the bigger route. So I I don't know what else was I gonna say. I forget if it was Yankee relater or baseball Oh another social Please don't clip maybe new segment. Socials don't clip this segment. And I don't live in fear of our social clips. I want everyone to know that. But sometimes there's just stuff you don't want.
Speaker 2: To deal with.
Speaker 1: If you took a pull, know how the GM poll comes out, or if we did a fan pull on Talking Baseball and we said, Hey, Sunday Baseball, Yankees, Red Sox, which manager would you rather have? How's that poll comeback? I think if you're a sports fan or a baseball fan, you've got the numbers in your own head, and maybe it's World Series bs Cora has one.
Speaker 2: I don't know it.
Speaker 1: It seems like Cora's done more with less parts. And it feels like, by the way, speaking of contracts expiring, if the Red Sox don't do something at the deadline or don't flex that, they're not gonna be these new boss and Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Cora's out. He's like telling us, Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you guys aren't gonna act like how you should as the boss in Red Sox, I don't have to be here for this. I can go get that Craig Council back not working for the Cubbies. God, he goes to Houston. So that was a Oh my god, that's a thirty eight minute Yankee rant of sort. I hope you guys like that. I can do some some quick MLB around the horn. All Star teams got announced. Oh your guy made it, your guy got snubbed, And like BBD said, I mean for the pitchers, we're still we're still about to get a second layer of All Stars that your guy will probably get in, especially.
Speaker 2: If they're in arm they'll get in. You.
Speaker 3: Most of the hitters that are supposed to be there getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the hitting hitting stays with an injury or two. Oh a lot of burps into the mic right there. That's for the YouTube and the mics. Let's see my snakes are back to five hundred. Just need a little more out of them, although they're gonna believe all year and could have been an eight game win streak if Paul Seawald didn't plow both series openers to LA and San Diego.
Speaker 2: That's fun. Let's see brew crew lose. They don't care.
Speaker 1: Will smith Man, I don't know, throwback bro the Night. It's become a joke on all JM that this cat just can't He's been the second best NL catcher for forty months now. That's a lot of months, thirty months, and I don't know if this is a Jerry Harrison senior thing.
Speaker 2: Is he senior now?
Speaker 1: Someone let me know, but they call him America's catcher, and I kind of like that a lot. As you guys know about America's GM. He had a three homer day. His numbers are crazy eight forty five ops, a one thirty eight ops plus and a fantastic defensive catcher. Maybe that's a Yankee exercise I'll do at some point, just position by position along amongst the playoff teams.
Speaker 2: Where did the Yankees rank? Again?
Speaker 1: Those dark thoughts are creeping in. Ranger Suarez has been getting knocked around lately. Interested to see what that's about. Is it over? Is he tired? It's kind of the pitching question for every pitcher nowadays. I mentioned Jose Morana on the way through. Was it eleven straight hit? Twelve straight hits? That's that's looney tunes. That's that's actually Looney tunes. But I'm happy for him. I'm happy for him. We're doing We did things kind of reverse today. We normally do talking baseball, then Wagan Jake, We're gonna do talking baseball after this excited yuckball with my guy Trev coming back from vacation. Rangers swept the Rays. Can they get it going? I don't think so. Hey, I left my Yankee heart out there today. That's probably gonna be it because I don't really want to dive into anything else.
Speaker 2: You know what I will dive into.
Speaker 1: I told the people I've been watching soccer. I enjoy soccer.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: The kopas have been fun. My guy Ronaldinho had a quote on June fifteenth that he was embarrassed about Brazilian soccer. There's actually there's actually some honestly great quotes in there, so I'll dig this up.
Speaker 2: Let's see. He said he wasn't gonna watch.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: He's sad. It's a sad moment for Brazilian football. It's the worst team in recent years. No respectable players or no no respectable leaders, only average players. They have a lack of love for Brazil and a lack of football. Shots fired from Ronaldinho on June fifteenth. My chips are all in with him. I couldn't believe I turned on a Brazil soccer game and you're expect to see brilliance.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: They were missing Vinnie Junior, nay Mars Hurt whatever, that's two guys. Not a single player stood out. It was insane. It was insane and kind of sad. So team Ronaldinho for those keeping track at home, I'm pretty mad at US Soccer with the Greg Berhalter stuff. And I don't know. I was going up and down their lineup and lining them up with like the twenty ten US soccer team. Twenty ten would roll them. Everyone's talking about Golden generation, not soccer guy chiming in shots fired at US. He's running hot today, but I would go check it out. Soccer it can be a weird watch. You know, there's beautiful zero zero games, there's hideous zero zero games. You kind of don't know what you're gonna walk into. The EuroCup games have been a lot of fun, fun watching the Swiss play. All right, I think you guys are done hearing me talk about it. Go enjoy the rest of this week. We'll be back Wednesday. There's gonna be some foolish at some point. I don't know if it's Wednesday or pre record. Either way, Beebes, can you tell him about our good friend?
Speaker 3: Daniel Weak and Jake is a production of Dan Patrick Productions, John Boy Media and Workhouse Mediambulable