Speaker 1: Kabbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The Clearinghouse of Hot takes break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now in.
Speaker 1: The air everywhere you have stumbled on to the Fifth Hour with Ben Mahler and Danny G Radio who is on assignment. Danny G is away, but we are hanging out a fresh podcast for you, even on a day of rest, the day where you're supposed to go out and go shopping and spend a bunch of money and all that. Here we are hanging out on this twenty fourth day of November. A glorious fry after a full pig skin, a palooza on Thanksgiving, the Mal Thanksgiving, which was amazing. More on that. I'll probably save that for the Saturday podcast with Danny G. The Life of Mal The Life of Danny G on Saturday. But we have a lot to get to that's on our plate. You could say these are leftovers, but I don't think they're leftovers. I do not believe they are leftover. So we have on this fifth Hour with Ben Mahler, Sands Danny g who'll be back this weekend, we have Black Friday, Shopping, racist a Turkey PSA, and the Idiom of the Week. All of that content absolutely free. We do not charge a penny, not a penny. You don't have to pay a subscription fee or anything like that. As we are in week twelve of the NFL and today, depending on when you are listening to this particular most people listen in the morning. But we have later today a football game, not a good one, not a good one. The Miami Dolphins at seven and three and the j e Ts Suck, Suck, Suck at four and six. That is the first ever Black Friday game by request from Amazon. I don't know if you saw the story the other day where Peter King he was claiming that this is such a big deal, It's like such an awesome thing to play football on Black Friday. It's so unusual that there will be teams bidding trying to become the exclusive rights holder to the Black Friday Game. Now the Jets are hosting that game today. It starts at three o'clock Eastern time noon in the West. That game is in New Jersey. I don't think anybody wants the Jets to host that game permanently because they have They're like the new Lions. They really are. They've become like the Lions have been. It's stunk. So on this podcast, we've got Black Friday Shopping, Turkey PSA, and Idiom of the Week. As I said, so, we're gonna start with the Black Friday shopping, and you can do whatever you want. Maybe you don't go shopping at all. A lot of people doing the shopping online. Maybe you wait for Cyber Monday, which I guess is still a thing. But I know one thing that every man, woman, and child freaking love. They can't get enough of it. And it is the universal gift that every human being says, thank you, Can I have another? And that would be Benny Versus the Penny. That's right. You might say, well, there's no way you've got to show there's absolutely no possibility there's an episode of Benny Versus the Penny. There were three football games yesterday on Thanksgiving. There's a game today with the Jets and the Dolphins. There's no way, no that's wrong. In fact, we've got a pretty good card of games. All things considered. Everyone's playing this weekend. There's no five weeks, but there's some dcent ends. You got the Bills on the comeback trail taking on the Philadelphia Eagles and that's one of the big games on Sunday. Also the Ravens and Chargers, the Vikings trying to get back on track against the lowly Chicago Bears, and the NFL's hottest team, the Denver Broncos playing the Cleveland Browns. So there's some decent match. But also Jacksonville is trying to get revenge against the Houston Texas. So here's what you need. Give the gift of Bennie Versus the Penny. As even on Thanksgiving week, there is no time off when you do television. There's no days off when you do TV. You can't take a day off when you do TV. It's very important. TV's very very important. So anyway, this kicking off Week twelve, our Week twelve edition of Benny Versus the Penny, Our maiden voyage on our flagship is NBC Sports Boston. Available on Direct TV also Fubo TV, you can get Benny Versus the Penny. There are other ways to get it. I'm not sure how that is. Those are the two ways I've been told you can get the show. But on NBC Sports Boston. Our first edition airs at seven pm tonight, so seven pm Boston. We'll get that show also nine pm, so a couple hours later, and on Core Performance and then a third running because apparently there's no programming here Thanksgiving weekend, we're okay, twelve thirty am Eastern time, so that's good. We'll get a lot of people that are hammered on the North End. We'll be listening and watching Benny Versus the Penny. Now in Philadelphia, you can check out the show at six thirty in the evening here we'll have that and then ten o'clock a bonus edition of BENNI Versus the Penny in Philly. In Chicago, we're on after the Bulls Raptors, So if you're in the Chicago Land area, you probably should say your DVR to record an extra I don't know hour, because usually that stuff goes long. I've been told by people I missed the final fifteen minutes of the show because the so and so game blah blah blah blah blah went long. So anyway, we are on in Chicago nine to thirty pm tonight in the Windy City. Hopefully my cousins that live in Chicago will be able to watch that game. That's on NBC Sports Chicago. We ride through the Bay Area. We are on pregame for the pregame show of the Golden State Warriors and the San Antonio Spurs as our episode of Benny Versus the Penny in San Francisco and beyond, well, they're at five thirty Pacific time and also ten thirty, so we are wrapped around the San Antonio Spurs and the Golden State Warriors game, so before and after we're also on in Sacramento, NBC Sports California and all over Northern California. Also, that's the sister channel to NBC Sports Bay Area. But Benny Versus the Penny our first broadcast will be at four pm Pacific time and then again at eight pm. That's after Sharks Canadians they play in the afternoon, and then also after the Sacramento Kings play the Minnesota tim Rules and when they get together, you throw out the records. You don't want to look at the records. Well, actually they're not terrible. Both those teams are actually, as they say in Poker on the Com, they're on the com. But wait, there's more. Now we are on all over LA on the Home of the Lakers. You can catch Benny Versus the Penny again. This is what everyone wants for Black Friday. This is the number one thing people say, I gotta get that. I gotta get that for Black Friday. So on the LA market. In the LA market, I should say Spectrum Sports Net SoCal. I've been very critical of the Lakers over the years. If you've heard the show, I have been taking my potshots, but I really think they're cable channels great. I am a big fan. I saw the light. I've come to salvation when it comes to the Lakers cable home. Man, is that a good channel? Spectrum Sports Net SoCal. We have our first showing at six am on Saturday, so tomorrow six am we'll have another showing at three pm eleven pm as well, so three showings of Spectrum Sports Net socals Penny versus the Penny. You can check that out and man, do. We hope you will. That would be awesome. And then don't forget there's a bunch of other showings throughout the day on Saturday from all the other affiliates. We also are on in New York City, the Big Apple. If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere. And we have our own timeslot very consistent on SNY the TV home of the New York Metropolitans, so all over the New York market, eleven thirty am on Sunday morning. So you watch that and then you flip over to the network pregame shows if you're so inclined. But you'll get everything you need, all the picks against the spread for the week twelve the Week twelve edition of Benny Versus the Penny, and again we were going to have a bunch of other episodes that will air throughout check your local TV listings. It is on elsewhere, but those are the main hubs of Benny Versus the Penny. I am such a radio loser. Now. If you have been with me, if you've been hanging out with me over the years, you know that when it comes to the holidays, I have high stands. Some would say, hey, you're a douche. But I believe that you should never cut corners. I don't like a lot of people. And anything you do you should do an honest work. You should do the job as required. I go buy what And I've talked about this a bunch. The Code of the West, right, I'm a big believer in the Code of the West. And if you're not familiar for somehow, if you haven't heard what the code is, a Code of the West is it's a very simple concept. It's a very simple concept that you take pride in your work. You always finish what you start. You do what has to be done, like a podcast on a day when I shouldn't be doing a podcast like this. This is an example the Code of the West. Right. You do what has to be done, and if you make a promise, you keep the promise. Those are all things that are part of the Code of the West. There's a bunch of other things in there, right for the brand right talk less, say more. That's also that's also a big thing. So not that I'm some kind of Wyoming cowboy, but did you know here's a fun fact. In Wyoming, the state Code of Ethics is the Code of the West. I'm not making that up. By that's a fun fact. Alf the Alien Opiner will like that. The Wyoming State Code of Ethics is the code of the West. So take that for what it's worth. So anyway, that's all part of the deal. That's all part of the deal. But I bring this up because it's our time of the year. We do this a couple times a year on the podcast. Consider this a Turkey public service announcement, a Turkey PSA. And since you are a super fan of the show, you've gone above and beyond the call of duty. You don't just listen to the overnight show, which would be enough, that would be enough. You don't just do that. You've gotten out of your way to track down the fifth Hour podcast. And is that awesome? Yes? Right, that is just one of you. You've caught the bug. You've caught the bug, and we thank you for that. But this time of the year is a time where a lot of people fill in in sports radio and they get very lazy. They like to get an inner tube and float on the lazy river of sports radio. And so you, as a discerning customer, I would like thank you to avoid people that are lazy at their job.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: Corny, hokey holiday weekend sports radio, the cornball sports talk radio that you get this time.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 1: And for example, here are the things look for if you want to know the person you're listening to has done no prep and has no idea what they're doing. They're just punching the clock, right, They're just punching the clock. Here are some of the topics of conversation. If you hear this on whatever radio show. And I'm sure this is no one that we work with at Fox Sports Radio. These are probably other people like local guys and gals. But anyway, here's the deal. So these are the things you look for that you know the person you are listening to is not putting an honest effort at the handbook to the lazy river of sports radio over the holidays. For Thanksgiving weekend, a big one is what in sports are you thankful for? Right? What in sports are you thankful for? If you have someone that you're tuning into on the radio, say that that is a red flag, there should be alarm bells. That's actually what it sounds like. Just like that, that is a sign. Whoever is doing the show is lazy. They are lazy. That is an evergreen question. What in sports are you thankful for? Let's see, I'm thankful for Victor wembon Yama looking good one game and sucking for the next ten. I'm thankful for that. So that is one of the topics of conversations. Oh here's another one. Who's the biggest turkey in sports?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: That is a spin off of what are you thankful for in sports? That's a spin off. The spinoff would be who's the biggest turkey in sport? And that's a sign no prep right, You're just hanging out, rolling on and you're just doing your thing, and it's like a bittersweet moment when you realize the person you're listening to is just punching a clock. That's all They're doing. Another thing to look for, another thing to look for. Here on Thanksgiving weekend is who would you like to invite the Thanksgiving dinner? This probably happened already on Thanksgiving itself and the lead into Thanksgiving, but this is another one, like, who do you want to invite? A general live in sports? Who do you want to be at your Thanksgiving? I'd like to have I don't know Kobe. I'll have Kobe Babe Ruth. Then I'll take Shack and Phil Jackson, and I'll throw in Ken Norman and Ken the animal Banister from old school NBA. How does that work? Does that work?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Does that work?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yea, So that likely already happened. That likely already happened. How about this one. Here's another thing you need to look for this Thanksgiving weekend. And this is also something that probably already happened. But it's something that somebody could do right now anyway, after the fact post mortem. The Thanksgiving weekend food draft a staple of lazy talk show hosts. For better or worse, this is a sign I have given up all hope. There's nothing to talk about. So I am just going to go with the Thanksgiving weekend draft. What the damn do? And that's the number one pick is a turkey. Maybe you don't like turkey, Maybe you like ham, maybe you like beef. I don't know. What about football? Should football go ahead of turkey? What about cranberry sauce? How about pumpkin pie? Everyone loves pumpkin ky yams. Some people just like the marshmallows, the sweet potatoes. What about sweet potatoes? And go on and on. What about the gravy? That is a sign you are a hack? That is a sign you are a hack. A donk k a app salute donk. So those are some of the things to look for, and likely already happened a lot of those things, but they continue on through the holiday weekend. There are some Black Friday editions of this. And for example, since today is Black Friday, what would you buy for Patrick Mahome? Right, what would you buy? You Just pick any athlete, any star athlete you know and fill in the blank. That's also part of the lazy sports radio river for Thanksgiving weekend. Now we have the ideo of the week times too, the idiom of the week, not to be confused. Not to be confused with the phrase of the week. No, no, no, this is something totally different. Also not the word of the week, which is again foreign to the idiom of the week. So we have double your pleasure, double your fun on the idiom of the week. We have birds of a feather, Birds of a feather, the idiom of the week. Now, I'm assuming you've for this. We did this one in honor of Thanksgiving in honor of Thanksgiving. The idiom of the week. First of two birds of a feather. How dare you so? I assume you know what this is, but you know we most of us ate turkey or some kind of bird this week, So bird unless you're a vegan, and then you know it's probably offensive to you. But birds of a feather. And then this goes people that have similar taste, interest backgrounds, people who relate to others and you feel safe around them, shared values. Birds of a feather. Now it is actually the full phrase is birds of a feather flock together, But over time most people just say birds of a feather. Say birds of a feather? Is is what most people say. Now. The first use of this idiom, we are told, goes back more than four hundred and seventy five years ago. You gotta go all the way back in the hot top time machine to the year fifteen forty five. Wow, birds of a feather flock together. That goes back to fifteen forty five guy named William Turner. Bill Turner used one of the first versions of this in something called the Rescuing of Ramish Fox, and the phrase comes from the observation that the same type of bird will hang around with the same type of bird, meaning that if you see a pigeon, they're gonna be hanging out with other pigeons. If you see, oh, they're hanging out with crows. That's how they roll. They don't hang out with the other birds. You're not gonna get a parrot hanging out with the seagull. They that's not how they roll. Birds of a feather flock together. The geese hang with geese. It's all part of the plant. And in the same energy they fly, they're able to fly in formation and all that, and they've got each other's backs, right. The group of birds protects each other from hostile attacks, much like the Malard militia. And we protect each other, you protect me, I look out for you. That's how it works when you're a member of the Malleord Militia. So the first of two idioms of the week birds of a feather or birds of a feather flock together. That's an old one that goes way back to fifteen forty five. But I said, since it's a holiday weekend, this being Black Friday, double your pleasure, double your fun. So we have a double dose of the idiom of the week. That's right, the idiom of the week. It's our pearls of wisdom while you're at a three martini lunch instead of shopping or doing whatever you're doing today, eating a leftover turkey sandwich. So the next idiom of the week something that I use quite a bit on the show. I use this usually a couple times a month.
Speaker 3: Can of worms. Can of worms? Here the next idiom of the week. Now, in terms of can of worms, where.
Speaker 1: Is this one at? So this means to get into something that is trouble, messy, causing problems, right, something that's unwanted, complicated, pain in the ass. A synonym of a can of worms would be Pandora's box. You've opened Pandora's box, but this is can of worms. The origin of this phrase does not go back very far. Shockingly, so the previous idiom of the week, we gave you birds of a feather, that goes all the way back, back, back, back, back back to the fifteen hundreds. But from what I was able to decipher from my research for this edition of The Fifth Hour, a can of worms, the phrase goes back only about seventy five years, about seventy five years. The belief is by those that keep track of this stuff, and man, what exciting lights the lives they lead, right, What a happy tap dance that must be. But the people that keep track of this and see when words came into existence and when they were tracked and all that stuff. The origin of this phrase can of worms goes back to the nineteen fifties. I mentioned about seventy five years ago. Nineteen fifties. It was found in something called the Edwardsville Intelligencer, which sounds like a newspaper to me, The Edwardsville Intelligencer. It was published in the United States. It is a writing cliche but has gotten popular in verbal communication also, So it started as one of those written things and has become more and more popular. So, can of worms. You've opened up a can of worms? So just not me. I thought this might go back to, like, you know, ancient times, when they had actual worms. You'd open them up and they'd all crawl out, and all that stuff. Now I liked. I used to go to the Magic Shop at Disneyland. I was a big fan of the Magic Shop. I've been at Disneyland a while. I can't afford it. Anymore on overnight salary. But we'd go to Disneyland and they'd have that little can of like it was a can of fake peanuts and you'd open it up in a worm like a snake would pop o, like the fake can of worms and all that stuff. That was that. That's kind of cool. That was neat. So can of the worm. The next idiom of the week a double dose on a Black Friday two for one special. What other podcast is giving you that kind of content? The answer is none. The answer is none. That's it. They're all sleeping on the job. That's what they're doing. So thank you and don't forget. Don't forget. If you like the podcast, help us out. It's in the description. You can go on the Apple podcast page write a little review. We don't care if you do or not. The people that care are in upper management at the company, the people in the corner office. They keep track of that kind of stuff, and if you don't have a number of reviews, they get upset. If you don't have good reviews, they get upset. So help us out. If you can just go to the Apple podcast page check out. It's very simple. Check out the review section. You can post whatever you want there and we will read it on the Saturday Podcast. Maybe not this week, but in a future edition of the Saturday Podcast. So thank you. And again, don't forget Bennie Versus the Penny. I really would love to have a second show with meet a lot for me. When I say a second show, I mean a second season of Benny Versus the Penny, So I would love to have you watch that show. It would be freaking awesome to have you check that out and be part of our family, not only on the podcast, but also the TV show if you have access to it. Benny Versus the Penny, and again and check your local TV listings. It's on all over the place. Have a wonderful rest of your Black Friday. Don't forget we will have brand spanking new podcast. Danny will rejoin me will form Voltron on Saturday's podcast and then again on Sunday the mail bag, your questions, our answers, have a wonderful holiday weekend. And what does Danny say later? Skater got a murder? I gotta go