Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome home. Y'all. This is episode ninety two of Native Lampod, where we give you all things politics and culture. We are your hosts Angela Raie, There's Andrew Gillien and Tiffany Cross. What's going on, y'all? What are we talking about today?
Speaker 3: I think we got to talk about DC. As you know, I'm here in the nation's capital and it is on fire. It is on lockdown, and it's giving twenty twenty vibes post the uprising, I'll say, after George Floyd. So I definitely want to get into that.
Speaker 4: With a direct target on the backs of black mayors. It appears all across the country. Angela, tiff good to be back with you. Welcome backstate side. Sis. We also got to get into this redistricting, which I think is monopolizing a lot of national conversation, and I think we got to level it so that people know where they fit into it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing that's very important is to your point, Andrew, we are welcoming tip back, and I think her journey to the Motherland helps us to realize that our politics are not in fact flat. They touched the globe and we, especially as the people, got to be connected. So I can't wait to get this update from Tip. I would say a quad, but but that ain't it when you say, yeah, everybody.
Speaker 3: Spoke French and ingala, So I'm.
Speaker 1: Andrew what we say all the time, welcome.
Speaker 4: States.
Speaker 1: Step off message anyway, I wanted if you guys don't mind, I just want to do a quick shout out. Right before we started the show. Uh, I learned that a good friend of mine, who I've known since middle school, was killed tragically in a car accident. His name is Teddy Huger. I just want to dedicate this episode of Native Lamppod to him and his family. He hard to have his baby girl, and I think she's three now, so I just want to send leve to his family. It's a reminder for everybody at home that life is indeed short and we are living in some trying times, and in the midst of all that, on a macro level, people are also suffering and grieving. So I just wanted to learn to everyone Greeving loved ones today. Thanks time.
Speaker 6: Reporting live from Washington, d C. I'm right outside of Metro station, so if you're here, trained my apologies. I just want to give you all the update about the situation on the ground here in Washington, d C. So, as you guys know, for the past couple of days, this administration has been agitating local Washingtonians with the federalization of our police force, with the deployment of National Guard. He's doing everything that he can to a rode our local autonomy. Our council members are taking issue with the fact that section seventy forty of the Home Rule Act was invoked, effectively giving the executive control over our public safety functions and our decision making functions in the city. But the thing is, Donald Trump issued this order under the guise of a public safety emergency. But what we know to be true here on the ground is that there is no public safety emergency now. Outside of the thing that went viral where Elon's doge boy got beat up downtown last week, crime is actually down here in DC, violent crimes especially, and so it's important to note that this is not done for public safety. If this was done for public safety, you would have to wonder how that kind of decision making could be coming from the same person who decided to release the insurrectionists that wek havoc on this same city. I mean, if you prioritize safety, why would you do that? Or if you truly care about safety, where is the unredacted Epstein list. I mean, there's so many things that could promote more safety than coming and eroding the autonomy of a duly elected black legislature here in the form of our city council and our mayor. So we know it's not safety. We know it's a graph for control. We know this is a test for fascism to see how far will be allowed to go. And so to my folks that are outside of DC, turn our voices up.
Speaker 7: Most people don't.
Speaker 6: Care about DC because they don't see it as out of side, out of mind. They think we're just the politicians. We are a real city with real people and real experiences.
Speaker 5: That are being affected by this.
Speaker 6: And to my folks in the city, let's stay educated, because I mean, the reality is there's only but so much you can do to push back against the unchecked powers of the President of the United States. And we didn't do that to ourselves. The GOP capitulated, they kiss his ass and give.
Speaker 7: Him everything that he wants.
Speaker 6: The Democrats are right there sort of bowing down. And so for us as community members here in DC who have the most to lose, it's important to look out for each other. I know, I just helped somebody get de arrested yesterday, or diffuse the situation rather where cops were just surrounding the guy and had no cause to arrest him. And so just our vigilance can save us. I saw folks interacting with that t app and having all the details to share about folks, let's share some things about the presidence of.
Speaker 5: These federal agencies in our city.
Speaker 6: Let's insulate ourselves and make sure that we're safe.
Speaker 1: And so that's all.
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 6: Hope to be joining you on the show soon, but in the meantime between times, pray for DC.
Speaker 7: Free DC.
Speaker 1: That is from ty Hobson Powell, who has been on the show with us before. In addition to that really incredible update, those encouraging words, we have got another, Andrew gillim Tiff. We got a new word in our yeah, in our vocabulary, it is de arrested. I am gonna make sure that I get some people de arrested in this moment. I love that time.
Speaker 4: I think he was going to words de escalation, de escalty.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's fine, but I like the arrest I would like the arresting people.
Speaker 3: Well, he was you want to come to he was one of the three young people. Yeah, do we know remember how old he was?
Speaker 1: He's in his early thirties. But you know at Grandma's house, you sit at the young young people's table. Yeah, until you're forty five. I'm forty five, so I think I get graduated up in October. T if I want to come to you, Because we actually did my solo pod yesterday on the same issue. We had mother ms Corey A. Korra masters Berry on, we had Tony Lewis, who's a prolific activist and author in DC, and we also had Dion Reader. But I want to come to you because you live in the heart of the nation's capital. What are you scan tif, how are you feeling and how do you encourage residents to respond in this moment?
Speaker 3: Well, I one, I see a lot of pushback from the residence, a rainbow coalition of pushback. I've even stopped and chatted with a few people, and a lot of white men have been very vocal, and I would say even provocative when it comes to the increased presence of law enforcement. And when I've asked, you know, why are you yelling? What's your interests? And they say, I have a lot of privilege here, and I plan to use my privilege as much as I can to disrupt what's happening. And you can see that very blatantly in how they're approaching the residents of the city. Where I happen to live. I'm surrounded by public housing, and in these public housing units, it's community, you know, like the old folks sit out there and play cards, the old men hang on the corner, and all of that is gone. Then there are people, you know, who are out there doing things that are not community minded. They might be criminal. And you know, Trevor Noah writes this in his book Born a Crime. And you know, this is something that I'm privileged to be able to have this conversation with you all, because there's a nuance that's lost in legacy media, and there are certain rules, regulations and understanding to neighborhood politics. You know, I want to say hood politics, but neighborhood politics, that your intention is not always to break the law. So if like, there's always a dude he's gone now I don't know where he is, but he's in a wheelchair and he sits behind my building and he sells Lucy's And yes, technically he's breaking the law, but this man doesn't deserve to be slammed to the ground. This is how we lost Eric Gardner. He didn't deserve to be choked, you know, So there are there is something about living in a black city. You had on Coorra masters Berry and I just am heartbroken at so many younger people don't know Marion Barry anymore, but Mary and Barry was about that life and he was on the front lines of these types of things. And I imagine if we had a mayor like Marion Barry. Right now, there is footage of him and an amazing documentary on HBO where he's protesting. He's joining the protesters and a police officer approach approaches him and he loves him dead in the face and says, I wish you mother would put your hands on me. I just feel like, yes, you know, his legacy has been reduced. But let me just offer a little bit of information. Ty did such a great job. The Trump administration has deployed the National Guard through the end of September. As Ty said, this is only allowable under section forty of the DC Home Rule Act with Congressional seven forty forgive me for the DC Home Rule Act, with of course, the approval of Congress. Nothing meets that standard. He talked about crime being down, It's true. Crime is down twenty six percent after a thirty five percent drop in in twenty twenty four. Overall crime is down a seven percent, and that's according to the Metropolitan PD. This this for the people who are outside of DC who are not as plugged in. Believe me, this is coming soon to a city near you. He's threatened this to Chicago, Oakland, Baltimore. DC does not have voting representation in Congress. We don't even control our own National Guard, unlike Puerto Rico and other territories. So the President is overriding the will of residence here. And I just want you all to get an up close and personal peak of what that looks like and what could be happening in your very neighborhood.
Speaker 6: You know, I was playing.
Speaker 5: You got your idea on your check?
Speaker 7: Uh no, I live? Okay, Cool, it's a cigarette.
Speaker 5: Did y'all get to call us up about right here? No, So we're doing checks.
Speaker 7: Keep everybody safe down here, right.
Speaker 9: Have you ever you heard of the federal surge that Donald Trump's putting out right?
Speaker 5: You didn't?
Speaker 9: You don't following three anything like that?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 9: So yeah, Trump's Trump's got a federally He's kind of coming together for seven days and going out trying to stop the violent crime. Quality of life offense is smoking drinking in public, right, can't happen outside.
Speaker 7: Right, most people know that.
Speaker 5: So we're contacting people trying to advise.
Speaker 8: Him to the wall.
Speaker 2: On your eggs because when you walked up at the moment you walked up on your eggs, get.
Speaker 10: Well, it's smoke like the odor of marijuana front marijuana in the air. Right, Just know, right, learn tea, tell your boys, like yo, everybody's out from FBI to the police.
Speaker 7: So do your thing.
Speaker 9: Let him know, don't be smoking outside, don't be drinking outside because Donald Trump's.
Speaker 3: I play that to say, this man is sitting in his home on his front stoop in his home and if you're listening, what you don't see. It's about six or seven law enforcement officers from various agencies surrounding him and another person. Some of the more violent videos have been people literally fleeing, running when they see them approaching. And to me, I'm curiously hear from you guys. This is a litmus test on how much will we take now? I don't know what it looks like to stand up to this. I want us to survive, but I know we can't roll over and take this. So how much are we willing to take? Because the more and more we accept this, the more and more we normalize this, the more it's going to spread. So I don't know what the pushback is, but it has to be something. And right now I do see a lot of people, I mean yelling at them. A friend of the show, Booker Squared, welcomed police this way.
Speaker 8: What the whole. I can't imagine being a black.
Speaker 1: Person defending this ship. I can't imagine a black person.
Speaker 8: To an organization the play session. But that's just meant. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why they left them five black officers.
Speaker 9: And they're not dropped.
Speaker 1: I don't want to let you know.
Speaker 3: The Elizabeth Booker Houston, who was a friend of the show, has been a guest on the show. That is her welcoming uh the added law enforcement and it's a very bodacious movie, right right. So I don't know she's.
Speaker 1: Been protesting the Heritage Foundation is before the the DC takeover though, So yes, I didn't mean I just I just wanted to clarify that. I think she's been insistent. She've been out there.
Speaker 4: Your question, your point if I could, about how much would we take and surviving whatever the experience is. I really think the gentleman demonstrated well right, not escalating, you know, the officer asking him for information while he sits on his property, minding his business, not inviting an interrogation like this. And the truth is is these kinds of situations don't prevent violent crimes. What they, nine times out of ten or ten times out of ten times will do is take what might be a normal situation in a normal neighborhood and escalated off of anything. It could have been a refusal to give a license or get off the porch and go inside and grab it and come back and show me, and any hesitation could have been a whole different kind of situation, and we all know what those potential conclusions could have been. So law enforcement, on one hand, should be serving the role of de escalation of of of of how do you say down, I mean just de arresting, right right right, but basically eliminating anxiety in situations. And when you go out in your face with that kind of show a force of law enforcement and bless his heart, but a law enforcement agent who's not really able to explain what the hell they out there doing. I mean he says, we're here to prevent crimes, and you know, in my opinion, you're here to potentially provocate, provocate a situation that could could spiral out of control. So it's where we how far we go? Is one, survive each incident, survive each of these moments, folks, as you're out there. But two, I think we have to protest. I think we you know, it starts from the top down and from the bottom up. You don't have to wait for instructions for you from your mayor. Your may or may not give those instructions to get out and show your disapproval. But as we saw in LA, the display of nonviolent disapproval pushed them back and made them a little caddy about their appearance there because they didn't belong. So I think people have to raise their voices and show that this is not the role of the federal government. You resist it. We understand that you are on orders, but you right now represent this person who's attempting to manipulate everything about what we think and what we know to put in front of us a whole, you know, situation that didn't deserve this, doesn't require it. If you really care, put some money back in. Put that billion dollars you took out of the budget from local governments. Give that back to local law enforcement so they can actually do the work of preventing crime instead of this scapegoating to basically avoid talking about, you know, a child molester and what his role is in that molestation.
Speaker 1: So I want to get into this really quickly. So Donald Trump issued this executative memorandum to the Secretary Pete Hegseth on Monday, calling for this DC takeover. What is ordinary in these circumstances is that the federal government would exercise its jurisdiction in Section seven forty to take over the Metropolitan Police Department as well as bringing the National Guard and other law enforcement entities from the FEDS in a state of emergency. What I'm wondering is why it wasn't a state of emergency on January sixth. What I'm wondering is why it's not an emergency when ice is raiding people's homes, separating families. I want to know why it's not a state of emergency when crime was up thirty percent. Again, it's dropped thirty percent. So I am hoping that the mayor, that the Attorney General in DC rely on these points when they go to argue the subjective standard that Donald Trump is relying upon to interpret Section seven forty, and they push back, why does that matter right now? Andrew everything you're saying in LA. We were on a panel in Tunica, Mississippi for the CBC Institute the Mississippi Policy Conference. Nana Jumfi, who's been a guest on our show, talked about LA being ready. They were ready to protest, they were ready for what was coming. What I think that, to Tip's point around a litmus test too, is a lot of our folks are unready. They did not know how bad this was coming. This man that Tip just played sitting on his front porch is like, what are you even talking about? Friend? Right Like, he has no idea this is coming. So we need some of the court actions taken so that we can buy our folks time to organize. I wanted to say that in closing because I know we have a very important update to get to from Tip about her trip to the Motherland. So I know we want to transition into that, but want to leave it open for just a moment, literally, a moment for any closing words from y'all before we transition.
Speaker 4: If you get ready, if you stay ready, you don't have to get ready. He listed the cities that are at the top of the list. Y'all take this time to get.
Speaker 3: Ready from the fire happening in DC to the fire happening across the globe and the Democratic Republic of Congo. I want to give you an update on what I bore witness to their stay tuned that's coming up on the other side of the spring. The one thing I can tell you about visiting the Democratic Republic of Congo, it's nothing to see every few feet a member of the government in camouflage holding aks just everywhere all over the corner so it was really interesting to be traveling and then to come back to DC and see this through.
Speaker 1: Line of Wow, this is what.
Speaker 3: America is inching towards, and it's a frightening site. I know there's a lot happening domestically, so I'm going to be really quick, but I missed the show last week and just wanted to to make a connection with what happened in Africa and how it impacts us here. And what I'll say is the very way how we're communicating with each other now on our computers, our smartphones, electric vehicles, all of these things are emblems of the modern world and they all are powered from batteries that are powered by cobalt. Cobalt is in the mineral rich country of the Democratic Republic of Congo. It's mined by workers who are laboring in slave like conditions. So every time we use our computer, every time we answer our phone, every time we're on our smartphone, every time we see an EV or get into an electric vehicle, I want us to remember there are black folks working in slave like conditions to mine the cobalt right now, Because my question while I was over there was, well, who is buying who's the consumer. Of course, America is the largest consumer economy. China at this point accounts for sixty percent of all global cobalt processing, which turns into lithium ion batteries. The mining industry has ravaged the landscape of the DRC. So as you see the images being played right now of bloody hacking of limbs, it is internal conflict because the rebels have tried to seize control. And you have to this place should be Wakanda, This should be the wealthiest when you think about how it is powering the insant right, this is literally vibranium that is powering the world and the people there. Here you can be impoverished and still have a microwave, You can still have a refrigerator and be well below the poverty line. When I say poor there, I mean they literally have dirts and that's it. And so they're trying to survive. So I even had to understand somewhat of the rebels as horrific and barbaric as it was, that they too are trying to survive. Millions of trees have been cut down, the air of the mining area. Areas are hazy with grit. The water has been contaminated with toxic effluence from the mining process. Cobalt is toxic to touch and breathe. There are hundreds of thousands of poor Congolese people touching and breathing it in every day. You'll see young mothers with babies straped to the straped to their backs, breathing in this dust. Trump administration did just recently cut a deal between Rwanda and what we mostly know of this conflict is the Rwandan conflict that we all remember a lot of us. Yes, it became humanized to us in the movie Hotel Rwanda. And so recently Trump signed a deal because Rwanda was supporting a group of the rebels. It's really complicated, we don't have a lot of time to get into it, but essentially Rwanda was supporting a group of the rebels and the Trump administration came in and tried to coordinate this peace deal. But I would just say these piece deals do not always benefit the people there. The nearest example is Angola recently cut a deal. We're trying to build infrastruture in exchange for their oil, but the Angolans are not really benefiting from that. And the United States has a deep history in the Congo. Patrice La Mumba was their beloved leader. He was the equivalent to our Barack Obama. And he was murdered with the support of some local people, Congolese politicians, the Belgians who ravaged this country for decades, literally cutting off young children's arms. So many people there without limbs because they worked in the rubber plantations that the Belgians powered. But he was murdered with the tacit support of the United States government and the malign neglects of the United Nations. So I just wanted to share this so we could see that what happens in Africa not only powers the globe. Specifically, what's happening in the Congo not only powers the globe, but the conflict there we have to care about. And it's a beautiful country because you'll see on the screen now, you know, had this beautiful brunch, and you know the vegetation is there, and people Black people are beautiful in every language. They're speaking French fluently and flowing effortless between English and French. And you know, the skin looks like silk, and they're attired. I mean, they just move and look like royalty to people who are lucky enough to live that way. It's a lot of corruption there and so I just wanted to update people on what's happening there. We will dig more into this in the show. I would love to have a representative from the Congo or journalist who covers the Congo. Larry MacDowell does amazing work for CNN covering the entire continent of Africa. So in the future we'll talk about this more and how what's happening in Africa impacts us. But it's a lot of corruption, a lot of dictatorship, and I'm sad to say that America is falling right in line with a lot of what I've seen overseas and a lot of countries that are that are are falling or leaving their their democratic process. So thank you all for giving me the time to talk about it. It's a lot more to say, but I will reserve it when we have on an expert and not somebody like me who just went to be on ground to learn. But I do want to thank the people for inviting me there for the genocost event, which honored the people who I thought this was something that happened decades ago, but the conflict and the murders are still happening, So my sincerest thank you to the organization that brought me there. I had the opportunity to meet with the President and First Lady and it was a very humbling, sad experience. But we'll talk more about that later because I know we have exciting guests to get to today to get into our next topic.
Speaker 1: No, thank you so much tip for the share, for the update, and for holding all of us accountable to stay informed about these very critical issues. We can't talk about war and genocide in one part of the country and not talk about it on the continent.
Speaker 3: That was the pokay, that was my frustration the angel up because obviously what's happening in Gaza is heartbreaking. It's awful, like children are being stopped, and the world, well, America has been gripped by those images. And when it happens in Africa year after year after year, largely due to Americans meddling in politics and European countries raping and pillaging the continent, we look at it like, well, those are black babies in Africa, that's where it's supposed to happen. Those black babies in Africa, though Africa as a country and not a whole continent. But those black babies over there, that's normalized, like that's how they're supposed to live. But when it's somebody else that looks a little closer to white, it's impossible to think. It's like when the Ukrainian War took off. So those lives matter, those children. If we're so concerned about sexual abuse and the Jeffrey Epstein List, then let's be concerned about sex trafficking in Africa. Let's be concerned about these children being mutilated. If we're concerned about children starving, let's be concerned about the young people in Congo who have nothing. So thank you for that. I don't want to go off on a whole tangent again, but that's so true.
Speaker 1: That's exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just if I could just say to thank you for reminding us of how mineral rich the continent of Africa, being the most resourceful of all the continents. And a lot of times when I hear non people of color talk about the continent, and they like to describe these these fights of people of color against people of color, and they completely underestimate our intelligence by by suggesting that this is just some black on black crime or some sort, when we know that it is the supply lines that is fueling the rest of the world that you, largely European nations are protecting and are aligned with. Many of these groups have to protect that supply line, profiting from it exactly those situations and so just thank you for that. And we all we don't have to compare how terrible these situations are, but we absolutely need to pay attention, especially when it reflects us where we come from in the richness of the land.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and we are again so grateful. Tip for your journey next time, take us with you and we will definitely keep you all informed. We ourselves are going to be accountable on these issues and make sure that we're educating and learning at the same time. Here on Native lampod As you all know, there is a hot topic percolating all over the country. People thought it began in Texas. It did not begin in Texas. Someone, are you Louisiana somewhat argue North Carolina, But what we know now is that it is far beyond the bounds of the state lines of Texas joining us today though, are Congressman Mark Vezi, who represents texas thirty third Congressional District. State Representative Jelanda Jones, who was also a guest last week on My Solo pod, representing Texas's one hundred and forty seventh State District legislative district, and Congressman Emmanuel Cleaver the second. Some of them call some people call him rev. I call him boss. He's the CBC chair from when I was the executive director of the CBC, but also now in the crosshairs. Don't collapse, rup for this part. In the crosshairs for in the redistricting battle in Missouri. He is the one district Loan District that is protected or was at least by the Voting Rights Act, and now they are targeting the Republicans in Missouri are targeting Congressman Cleaver's district. So welcome to our show. We say welcome home, y'all, and we thank you so much for joining us. Tim Or Andrew, I'm gonna let you kick it off.
Speaker 4: No, I actually have a shirt on Representative Jones that I wore for you. It says move with faith not fear. But Pastor and Congressman VC, it applies to all of you, But we've been so hardened by you, Representative Jones and your in the delegation from Texas for showing what active and responsible resistance looks like. Your fight, I think is powering so many of us around the country who are confronting these issues as well. I know that this issue, you know, confronts the country, the entire landscape, and right now we may be looking at what I you know, I believe is sort of the armoring up, or maybe it is the ratcheting up between states as democratic states start to respond to what some of these conservative states are doing. I love if you all could kick it off, beginning with you, a Representative Jones. We're telling us what does the ground game look like if this actually does become a ratcheted up situation of d versus our states redistricting mid dissenial to basically confront and counteract what Republicans are doing to change the rules of the game so that they can cheat their way to re election.
Speaker 8: So the ground game in this systance looks like each state that's a democratic state going in and quite frankly redistricting out Republicans because that's what they're doing with us and it's surgically precise. They are literally finding where there are concentrations of black and brown people which are organically majority minority, and they are somehow trying to say that it is a coalition district. And so the districts currently weren't drawn because their coalition district. The districts were drawn because black people and brown people are just living by each other, and they somehow said that that's illegal. And so now they are dividing us, they're cracking us, and they're packing us in other districts that are majoritarily Anglo. And so the only way Trump gets five seats is if they go in with precision and divide up black and brown neighborhoods as racist. And it's important we call it what it is, and I see it as self defense. I think Nancy Pelosi called itself. It's self defense for the preservation of representation by black and brown people to elect the representatives of their choice, plain and simple. And so if you've been in a fight, you have to use the tactics that your opponents are using. There's no way they can expect for us to fight with both hands behind our back when clearly Trump and the billionaire boys, and those people literally don't respect the Constitution. They don't respect historic districts in Houston. I know that Congressman VC can probably explain to you how his stronghold is Tarrent County. It's been in thirty three and they some kind of way tried to carve out Tramp County out there to make him weaker in his district. I'll let him talk about that. And so it looks like guerrilla warfare, it looks like hand to hand combat. It looks like we need to stay where we are so that they can't get a quorum. Because at the end of the day, there's eighty eight Republicans in Texas in the House and the Democrats and sixty two never beat sad eight. So the only tactic that we have is to get ghosts where they literally can't conduct business, which is what our quorum break is. So that's what it is. It's living in an uncomfortable state. This is not normal for me to be hiding, for me to be Washington, who I talk to on the phone, for me to stay in my where if I'm staying, I'm not telling you that, for me to be concerned that the FBI are hunting us like we are criminals for something that's not criminal, and it's not even federal, so none of this is normal. But for us, it's necessary for us to just hold the line and deny them a quorum because it's all we have to do at a minimum, until California like drops their maps or something so that we can see your Texas. If you go forward, we're gonna do that too. You think you're the biggest, like you're the badgest bullets on the block where you ate, and that's that's what it is.
Speaker 1: That thank you so much for Fendarie.
Speaker 3: That is the biggest coming out this week that governor California Governor Gavin Newsom has said that he will draw congressional maps that will end Trump's presidency, quoting him, he has yet to offer any details on that, but certainly the American public is waiting with baited breath. You kicked it to Congressman Mark VC, so i'll pick up with you, Congressman VC.
Speaker 11: One.
Speaker 3: I think for the people who may not understand the seriousness of this, which I understand because we're blitzed every day with fifteen things that are urgent, and we're asking people to care about these fifteen things and to fight these things. Right now, DC residents are worried about their children getting to and from school safely. The same in Texas. You know, there was a fifteen year old student who was disabled who was detained by Ice because of a mistaken identity. So while we have all that going on, we see our core democratic institutions eroding before our eyes. And now, even though the redistricting issue has been in the limelight for years, you know, predating the Trump administration, why should people care? Like, what is the sense of urgency? Make it plain for people that if you're sitting in your apartment in New York City, or you're sitting in Seattle or Chicago, what is the sense of urgency why we should care about this issue.
Speaker 12: I mean, there are so many reasons why you should care about this issue, and the first one is that to me, what's happening is Trump is clearly trying to consolidate as much power as he possibly can. And this is just another example. Whether you want to look at what's going on at the Smithsonian, you know, him appointing himself the head of the Kennedy Center, where he's going to try to you know, be the czar of anything out of the federal government that deals with the arts. He's trying to consolidate as much power as he possibly can uh, and he's going to continue to do this with ice. He's going to continue to do this with the firing and the federal workforce and these and these doge layoffs. And I really do think that he is trying to move us towards a place that we have not seen when it comes to how the US government works. This whole idea that he's going to take another census in a couple of years would to me be the beginning of him trying to put together a group of legislators that are Republican and one hundred percent beholden to him that would absolutely allow him to stay in office if that's what he chooses to do on January sixth, twenty twenty nine, where he absolutely could not be removed. And so I think that we're in a very dangerous situation right now, and what he's trying to do is not healthy, is not helpful. I think for those of us that have followed voting rights for a long time that this could also be the end of the voting rights Act. There's something that has not been talked a lot about when it comes to the Texas Map and one of the congressional districts that they dismantled Jelanda Jones Neck of the Woods in Houston by Silvia Garcia. It was a sixty three percent Hispanic voting age population district and now it's been down to about forty four percent Hispanic voting age population, and that is a clear violation of the Voting Rights Act. If anything is over fifty percent, it is supposed to be a protected district. And so now that's been dismantled. My guess is that Texas is trying to set themselves up to be and Greg Abbott more specifically, is trying to set himself up to be the person that took down the Voting Rights Act and specifically took down Section two of the Voting Ranks action that would have a huge impact not just on Texas and congressional seats, but that would have a big impact on state legislative seats, on county commissioner seats, on city council seats, and it would really hurt the black community probably more than anybody else.
Speaker 3: Ierson can I just I want to last really quickly because our viewers may not understand, you know, everything that you said again because there we're flooded with so much information. So one you talked about Donald Trump and the senses. So just so our viewers know, Donald Trump has instructed the Commerce Department, which is of course where the censes live, to immediately begin working on a new sensus. And we don't know what that means. Again, he says these things and has offered no details on what might include that. But the concern is who counts within that census, and why that matters is because that can determine budgets, that determines resources that come to your community. But what we're talking about today, why that matters is because every ten years after the census, states redraw the boundaries of congressional and state legislative districts, which, if he has his say, it will not be an honest account and it could be redrawn in a way that is racist. Gerrymandering, sadly is not illegal. Racist gerrymandering is, and so we have seen in North Carolina. Andrew will correct me, Andrew and Angela correct me if I'm wrong. But the court when they were looking at North Carolina said it was done with surgical precision to exclude voters of color. So you have a process where you have politicians picking their voters, not voters picking their choosing their politicians. So I just wanted to give our viewers some context there.
Speaker 1: And I know we want to make sure we get some ample time to hear from you all.
Speaker 7: Two.
Speaker 1: Congressman Cleaver had a technical difficulty, but it's coming right back, okay. I wanted to come back to you, Congressman BC, because there's something very, very critical that we are kind of not talking about proactively in the press, and you brought it up about Sylvia Garcia's district. These are sinister acts because the president is trying to figure out how to get a majority, but not just politically. He's doing it the same way that he removed the Martin Luther King bust out of the Oval. He's doing it the same way that they attacked DEI, which is diversity, equity, and inclusion for those of you who are not following it at home. He's doing it the same way that he calls those of us who he decides to attack black journalists low IQ. This is absolutely racist at its core. Can you talk about how this racist jerry manderin practice. Because jerry mandering in and of itself is not bad. We'll get into that later. Redistricting in and of itself is not bad every ten years. But why all of a sudden, when he needs a majority of white supremacists in the House of Representatives in state legislatures all over the country, now you find yourself also in the cross hairs of that. Why should people pay attention to this, Why should they focus on this, and why should they make it a priority given what Tip just said about everything else that we have to carry.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, people should care about this for a lot of different reasons. Let me give you an example. One of the things that my Republican colleagues will absolutely not do is that they will not when we have the appropriations process, they will not ask for community funding project money.
Speaker 5: They refuse to do it. And I just got a YMC.
Speaker 12: Reopened in one of the black communities in Fort Worth in my district, and the way the lines are withdrawn, that district would now be represented by a member of Congress in the North Texas delegation that's hardcore rural Republican, and he would never ask for community funding project money so that YMC could be open to serve low income families. He just would not do it. And so all of a sudden, if you can draw these districts in like you said, sturgically remove us from areas and make it to where our votes won't count, then you will have a bunch of members of Congress representing our communities that won't do things that we believe are important and bring tax dollars back into our communities to help uplift our neighborhoods. And just that alone could be something that I think could have profound implications on our communities as well as a continuation of people just being able to be five from a lot from the federal workforce, and many people that work at many different agencies are from the African American community, and the list goes on and on and on, and so people need to realize that it's not really just about him trying to elect more Republican Congressmen. It's about him trying to elect more congressmen that are going to completely neglect the African American communities and put together majorities in the House of Representatives that will not advance legislation that is collectively in our best interest and it's very real what they're trying to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Andrew, I want to make sure that you weigh in here too. But there's one thing that I really want to say to Representative Jones and to all of your colleagues. Thank you all for bringing a fight that the nation could see themselves reflected in. I know that some of your colleagues now are kind of wavering, trying to figure out if they have the willpower, the desire, the funds right to even stay out in this fight. Can you talk about what people can do at home to encourage those who are wavering, who are worried about their families, like legitimate issues, but who are worried about how they continue this fight. What happens when the next special session is called? Where do we go from here?
Speaker 4: So let me say this.
Speaker 5: Right here, right now, we will we are.
Speaker 8: We can't tell you where we are right because we're been hunted by the FBI. Let's be clear, for something that's not even federal, and for something that's not even criminal. I want you to let that sink in. We are resolute, you know, and we are actually taking it one day at a time. And here's why. Just yesterday the governor said, because I think he's embarrassed that he hadn't been able to force us to come back, and he hadn't been able to find us that, oh, we're going to end the special session on Friday. The special session was supposed to end on Tuesday, you know, coming up. And so now I won't believe the special session is in until this officially ends, because it could actually be a way to get us to come back, to capture us like they get back in the Slavery days, to drag us back to the plantation on the on the House floor. So so we are resolute we ain't going nowhere.
Speaker 5: We'll deal with the.
Speaker 8: Second special session when he calls it. Now he's told us he's gonna call it, and we know he's gonna call it. We don't know if he's gonna call it immediately. We don't know if he's gonna wait till Monday. We just don't know. And so just continue to give us encouragement, support us, support the TBC, the Texas Legislative Black Caucus. That would be good for you to do, and so and just keep talking about this, and you ask Congressman VC, what should people other places feel like pay attention to what's going on? Let me tell you why, because last year in North Carolina, nobody knew what was going on. Last year in North Carolina, they literally racially and illegally and unconstitutionally jairmandered and they stole three seats. And right now Donald Trump has a Congress with a three Republican majority who rubber stamps all of his stuff. So you wonder how what happened in North Carolina with something that people didn't know about. So let me give us a pat on the back that we let y'all know what they're trying to do in Houston because we don't want it to go under cover of darkness. And why you think North Carolina might not have anything that affects you or text us If he keeps the house in twenty twenty six, we're going to have more of these bad policies. So you know those eggs that used to cost six dollars that now cost thirteen dollars, that's because they stole them three seats in North Carolina. You know the Social Security they're trying to take from us after we've paid into it for our entire adult life. They trying to take away our social security to give it to billionaires for tax breaks. We earn that that's not a handout, that's not welfare. You know how families are literally, us citizens are literally being deported. They're coming up, covered up, don't know who they are, don't even know if they legitimate police, being shifted off the countries. That's because Trump has a three Republican majority, so trust and believe. It can get worse. And I think we've gotten comfortable, it says a people, as black people in this country, because we're so far removed from segregation, we don't realize how we used to get lynch. We don't realize how we used to have crosses burned in our yards. We don't realize how we used to get assassinated. Martin Luther, King, Malcolm X, metgr Evers, you name them in it till who was a kid who ain't doing nothing wrong right, We don't realize that it can be bad. We don't realize that we had to go to separate schools. We don't realize that we had to drink out of separate faucets. We don't realize that stuff. You know why, because we're taking it out of our books and we don't realize that, and so we need to realize that it can get worse. We used to have to pay poll taxes and it's just been so far removed. And I really need for black people to go back to the mentality that we had during segregation, where we were it. We were get each other, we were going to look out for each other. We were going to make sure that we all were supported and that we survived and that we thrived and we didn't rely on other people. But my point is, this is what they're trying to do. We just had the sixtieth anniversary of the Voting Rights Act early either earlier this week or last week, I can't remember the date, and they trying to take us back to a time when we didn't have the right to vote. And you know, right now, there's not a lot We have twelve point three three percent of the population in Texas black people do, and most of us are concentrated in the Houston area and the Dallas area, and so that's where the four black congress people in Texas are elected, in Houston and Dallas. And with this racist redistrict thing, They literally are potentially putting Mark Nice against Jazz mcrockett. Why we can't have both, Why they got to fight each other? Why does it have to be a blood bath In Houston? We got Al Green, you know, the one who shook his cane at the State of Disillusion and said in Pete's Trump and they escorted him out. Why has he been drawn into CDA TE which is where Correnswiman, Jackson Lee and Congressman Turner were. So they're literally going to wipe out two black seats. And you've talked about Congresswoman Garcia. They've literally diluted hers to where the Hispanics that they put in her district don't vote as higher rate. And so you think this can't affect you, It most certainly can, and it will. And fool me once, Shame on you, fool me twice. Shame on me. North Carolina was the first fool And we know about it. Well now we know, no, we have no reason to expect it. Trump is all of a sudden going to respect black people or the constitution of women, you name it. He doesn't respect anybody. And so I'm asking you to please pay attention and please hold us down because it is hard. We're away from our families. I got a new baby, I miss her. I'm my mother's caregiver, but my son and my sister are taking care of our mother and grandmother because this is something we just have to do for me. I always thought if I live back in the day with the Edmond Petterson Bridge and the Montgomery bus boycott, that I would be there. So I know that I'll be there. So just keep praying for us, keep fighting for us, Encourage us, you know, because we literally are getting fined five hundred dollars a day. Y'all. We make six hundred dollars a month, right, and that's six hundred dollars a month, which is seventy two hundred dollars a year. That's six hundred dollars a month goes to pay for my retirement. So my pension goes to pay for my health insurance. And I also take out my dues because I'm a member, a duced member of the Texas State Employees Union. And six hundred dollars a month is not a lot of money. Who can live off of that? And now they're threatening to cut our budgets and they're saying we've abandoned our duties. We have not abandoned our duties. I'm a district office that's open right now. When my constituents had issues with getting their medicaid or their Medicare, or they have problems with their relatives who are who are incarcerated, or they can't get Section eight housing, my office helps them.
Speaker 5: That's what we do.
Speaker 8: Out they're cutting our budget by thirty percent, So I will stop venting about why you need to care about what happens in Texas because it is going to affect you. And if Donald Trump is able to hold on to the House by targeting minorities, black and brown people, I don't even know how we recover. If we lose those two black seats, we ain't gonna get them back. We're gonna be stuck. So please support us. It's really important and let us know you know how you feel about what we're doing. And people are tired of for the most part, they say Democrats don't fight.
Speaker 5: Well we fight. We literally.
Speaker 8: We have literally got California, New York, in Illinois to say, hey, if you pull the trigger in Texas, Donald Trump, we got something for you. We can do the same thing where we're at so we need for democratic governors to do that.
Speaker 4: You're stiffening their spines. It's already been chuck full of information. You don't want to miss the rest of our conversation with these amazing elected representatives on redistricting. Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We have another fighter who's joined us, Andrew. I know you probably have a question. Conversan Cleever, I.
Speaker 4: Mean really great comments by everybody and a reverend Congressman Kleaver. We early in the conversation, Representative Jones mentioned packing and cracking and are those are terms of art as well as as science, they have a meaning to them. Help us understand, because I think this connection really has to be made of the layperson might look at a map and see someone draw a circle around it and say, well, this is a district, and then go with adjacent to it and draw another circle and say this is a district. Tell us why it makes absolutely no sense or what since you think it makes for communities of color, shared interests, communities of shared interests. How it is that that is the way in which don't take a layman's look at these maps, understand what we have in common, and how then we get drawn out of power and disempowered through our vote. So when we hear cracking and packing these districts, and I've seen it firsthand here in Florida where we've lost now three CBC members out of the state of Florida sets that were hard won by a consent decree through the courts. So I've seen it happen. But talk to us about what it means for black folks who share common interests to be able to elect a representative of their choice who will then go and advocate on behalf of those shared in How does that show up in this redistricting fight? Uh, the separation of our communities.
Speaker 7: Well, well, we thank you very much for the question. I apologize for.
Speaker 11: But what we have in Missouri is dummy mandarin, uh you know, and it is based on, uh, the pursuit of pure power. Nothing legal uh should creep into the conversation, is pure political power.
Speaker 7: And what they would like to do is is gather all the.
Speaker 11: Minorities they can, all the African Americans into one little area and UH say, well, did you get angry? We we We've got thousands of black people right here piled in together. And that's exactly the danger because What happens then, is they take away any They will reduce and perhaps even take away the opportunity for African Americans, along with progressive whites, brown people to be in a district where they would have a voice with the person if I'm not if I'm not in the fifth district, or if somebody with progressive values are not or is not in that in that district. Here, the people here have no voice. Yeah, they can go out and vote, they have no influence.
Speaker 7: With the member.
Speaker 11: They can go to a town hall meeting. That member who was elected in a dumming Mandarin district is going to end up.
Speaker 7: Setting the.
Speaker 11: Here's or her agenda, political agenda, the community they want to be on.
Speaker 7: In the most they take on actually a minority of the people, uh you know, and.
Speaker 11: We are in Missouri are particularly vulnerable to this because you know, my district right now is maybe twenty five percent African Americans. And you know, if you take my twenty five percent and put it in a district where where they have eighty percent already white voters, I am now just going to Washington and uh and and renting a room someplace.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 11: So we've got to have we and I know people some African Americans here. We're having a meeting this afternoon with all the state representatives. But I had even one of them to say, well, if we get all of the bad people in this district, we're going to be more powerful.
Speaker 7: No, we won't.
Speaker 11: We're going to be important politically importent. H And so we have a lot of educating to do with with with people. And uh, you know, I just got off the phone with Eric Holder uh to come and do this when we first got started, and uh uh he is preaching the same uh sermon if you will to to all of us who are in Injebarty that don't fall from for the okie doke.
Speaker 7: Uh you know, and start thinking.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, for example, I wanted to one of the state representation said well, well we got some large rumany black folks over in Reytown, Missouri, which is a suburb of kas City. Let's put them over in the Pith district too, you know. And and you know, on the on the surface it may sound good, there ain't no good in it. So we're in a situation where it's flight or fight, and we are choosing fight. And I think that has to be done all over the country. We're going to do it here in Missouri where people want to pick their voters instead of the voters picking their people. Right.
Speaker 8: Can I say this?
Speaker 12: And I want in Julyan to touch on this a little bit earlier, which I think is very important, and I want to you know, first of all, before I say this, I want to thank Gavin Newsom for doing the redraw because the biggest mistakes that Democrat made in two thousand and three when Tom Delay did did middicate decade redistricting and also misused federal resources. I don't know if y'all remember back in two thousand and three when when Oklahoma still had a Democratic governor and they were trying to do the mid decade redistricting, state legislators from Democrat from state Democratic state legislators from Texas went to Ardenore, Oklahoma, and no one knew where they were, and Tom Delayed used an F sixteen to find the tail number of the former Speaker of the House who flew his own plane. They literally used government resources the same way how they're misusing the FBI now. And when that happened, we didn't do anything back. We did nothing and had we done something back in two thousand and three, we wouldn't be where we are today, because when a bully hits you on the playground, you got to hit his ass back.
Speaker 5: And we didn't do that.
Speaker 12: And so now they're thinking that we're just going to roll over and take it, and we're not anymore.
Speaker 5: We're fighting back.
Speaker 12: But if they go to Missouri and then they're talking about going to Florida, we need to make sure that our governors are hitting back.
Speaker 5: And right now there are too many excuses.
Speaker 12: People are saying, well, I can't because of our state constitution says this, and that Florida has very strict.
Speaker 4: Rules after constitutional amendment, they have.
Speaker 12: Very strict rules in Florida. And I guarantee you I don't know what the makeup is of the Florida Supreme Court right now. Andrew can probably.
Speaker 4: Tell us all decide disappointees.
Speaker 12: I promise you, those Federalist Society judges in Florida are not going to go by the rules. So why the hell are we still talking about the damn rules? We need for Jersey, we need New York, we need for Colorado, Angela, your home state of Washington, we need for them to draw some long, skinny lines like they did in Texas, because no one in those cities need to be in a Kamala Harris eighty four percent district. And they need to put some of those Democrats in some of those heavily packed districts in blue states and draw those Republicans out. They need to draw their asses right out. And if we if we're going to sit back and talk about all the rule of law and and and you can't do that and the Constance, and when they are eliminating us and eliminating black seats.
Speaker 5: Then what in the hell are we even doing. We got to fight back. It's now or never.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you. I know Mark is mad when he cuts it in front of Connerson.
Speaker 4: Clear.
Speaker 1: That's good Mark, That's important. This is one of these these moments where you have to call a thing a thing. I think it's really really important. Even though my state is not as diverse as it once was, there are populations where people of color need to still have their representatives and have a voice. We cannot lose sight of the importance of calling this thing what it is. It is racist. It is not just political. It may so happen to be that our politics generally swing left, but that does not make it just political. It is racist first, and we've got to lead with that. And I think that is so important. T If I saw you leaning in, I don't want to tumble.
Speaker 4: Ref Jones. Can I pick up what Tiffany didn't want to, just to say, you all have stiffened the spines of some of these frankly super blue state Democratic governors who previously before I mean when you sat there with Kathy Hochl and I heard the words coming from her mouth, you know, love all the Democrats at all, but I just wasn't expecting it. You all have, you all have taken the wool off, and I'm just I'm curious to know how much of this you can share of your conversations with some of the more timid of democratic governors who are not recognizing that they must meet this moment with a threat of mutual destruction. So if you go there, we all die, right, the system blows up on everybody.
Speaker 8: It's a period victory, right. And it was interesting. One of the reasons that I ended up saying what I said with Governor Hoko that ended up going viral was because one of the problems we have with our allies, our allies who do not have melanin in them is they don't want to say racist. They just don't want to say it. And the truth is the Supreme Court that's owned by Trump has said that political gerry mandarin is legal, that if Republicans want to drive Democrats so they can have more Republican seats, it's it's legal. So if you lead with it's a political ger mandering, Repoltans are trying to draw Democrats out, they can do that. We have got to be smarter, and we need our allies to call a thing a thing, call a spade a spade, pull a race card when they're racist, and they need to say it's racist gerrymandering. And at the end of the day, what I've said and what I said then was I need we need our white allies to call it racist. Right, Black people vote at the highest levels for Democrats, but we are the ones that are the least protected by Democrats. I mean, we will have white Democrats filibuster and pink shoes for however many hours for a woman's right to their body. I'm gonna need that same vigor and awareness to be brought to racistly gairmandering out the right constitutional right of black and brown people to elect a representative of their choice. And to Congressman Cleaver's point, where you want somebody who is progressive, let's just say progressive, and who's going to be able to vote progressive things? If you Congressman bc U served with Congressman Turner, and if he say nothing else, people knew he was.
Speaker 5: From the faux FO, which is Acre's Hokers Home Right.
Speaker 8: So if you're not from Houston, Texas, you probably did your research to figure out what is the faux fo? What is Acres Holmes. When Congressional District eighteen came into existence in nineteen seventy three, Acres Holmes has always been there. Acres Homes, Independence Heights, and Acres Holmes came because the homes were on Acres Right. And this is when black people didn't even have land right. Independence Heights speaks for itself is independent. Those were always in Congressional District aen since nineteen seventy three when it was created. In this new gerrymandered racist map, they have literally removed AGAs Home from CD eighteen. They have removed Independence Heights from CD eighteen, and put it in CD twenty nine with a latina, right, So they basically we had a herd of black folks who had common to share an interest, and we voted our interests to get somebody elected. And let me tell you who's who represented CD eighteen, Barbara Jordan, Mickey Leland, Craig Washington, Sheila Jackson, Lee, Sylvester Turner. How do you take away AGAs Holmes and you basically separated them from the Herbard. I mean, if you look at those Animal Kingdom shows, what happens when somebody gets separated from the herbit, they get eaten, right, that no one's there to protect them. And so this is series. And what they're doing is they're going and they and what they have to do in order to succeed is that they've got to go to urban areas where we are concentrated. Because in Texas wet from like racist towns. When we get older, the first thing we do is go to the big city. We go to Houston, we go to Dallas where we'll see other people like us. Right, And so they've literally divided. It's called it's a legal terminology cracked. They've cracked the black community or cracked the Hispanic community and packed them where they want them to go, to dilute, to dilute minority power to go who they want. So this is serious as a heart attack. And again, if you learn nothing from me, if you get nothing from me from this, is you. We've got to call a thing a thing. I'm a trial lawyer for thirty years. Here's what I do. I prepare for my I prepare for my opposition. Right, how would I get me and I do that if I'm a Republican lawyer.
Speaker 5: In this lawsuit that's going on.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna go find every Democrat who on TV said that it was a powergraph or that Trump is trying to hold on the power, or that Trump is trying to get five seats. I'm gonna go and they gonna be on the witness stand and I'm gonna say, aren't you Andrew Gillum And you're gonna say, yes, ma'am, ma'am, And have you been not an advocate to preserve to get rid of these this Jerrymander And you're gonna say, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 8: And did you not say was this on you on TV? On CNN on this day you're gonna say, yes, ma'am, and did you not say that this political jerimander And you're gonna say yes, ma'am, I did because it is. And I'm gonna say, so it ain't racist, right, and you will say, well, yes it is, and they say the thing what you say, so you lined in or you line now. And every time our allies do not have the courage to say that it's racist, you are putting a nail in the coffin of black and brown people to elect representatives of their choice, because that's exactly what they're going to show. And under Chief Justice Roberts, political jer man is okay.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And I want to Congress mc clevean. I'm coming to you because this is a good time for the benediction. I know congressm and VC has a hard out and once, uh in twenty twelve at the DNC, you told us to march on, boss, so I need you to close this out bring us home. As Andrew would say, well.
Speaker 7: First of all, thank you. What you guys are doing is the Lord's work, and uh, thank you. We're fighting.
Speaker 11: I mean, this is a brazen effort to reduce the voices of our people, and we've got to resist, uh you know. And so this this is a dark moment for our country and for our people. But we you know, there is no law against fighting in the dark. So uh you know, I think this is time for us to punch for sunshine our darkness. And I had to say to some people earlier today, when we're doing what we're doing, it's not the hyperbird pabolic rantings of a member of Congress trying to hold on to a threatened house seat. This is about falling back into the moments of our parents and grandparents, of their grandparents who brought us this fall. And we've got to hold on to the light right now so that when I when, when when our children and their children, if the light is still on, so we still have some light.
Speaker 7: We have to hold on to the light no matter what.
Speaker 8: Uh you know.
Speaker 11: Uh, my grandfather used to love to tell people about down and walks at you. He uh he said, well you probably don't want well yeah, uh, Visa knows what walk settes. But uh uh you know he said that the man took his son to the town. Uh and uh he told his sons that you stand here on the corner and I'm gonna uh, I'm gonna be back shortly.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 11: And if I don't make it through to night, you got my little flash light here, so you use it. And so some people came by and a little boy, you know, away from the humane community.
Speaker 7: We are humane. We want you to have a homie stand over here on the corner. You follow us. I said, no, no, no, I can't go. I can't go. Why can't you go? My daddy told me the way there.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 11: And so I said, all he's lost. He's gonna be one of those statistics. So a little while later, another group of people came by and said, look, you ny, we're gonna take you down to the restaurant and buy you some dinner and you can come back and down in the corner.
Speaker 7: Whatever you want to do. We just we'll we'll do goodness. We want to help you eating. So I thank you very much.
Speaker 11: My daddy told me to stay here and then started raining. People said, little boy, get out of the rain, get out the right and now I'm gonna stay with My daddy told me to stay no matter what. So when a jaddy showed up later, it doesn't how to go son and said, well, you know, started raining, as you know it's done in the light, and I got scared, but I remember that you told me to.
Speaker 7: Hold on to the light.
Speaker 11: And then I stood up and some women came by and they wanted to take me and try to fix me. Said, but I didn't go with them because you wanted me to hold on to the light. Well, there are a lot of things going to come our way, of people trying to say, you know this is crazy, just surrender. We gotta tell we're gonna hold on to the light no matter what happens.
Speaker 5: We're gonna hold on.
Speaker 7: To the light, not just for us, but for generations not even torn.
Speaker 11: We want them to know that there were some people, some African Americans as we went into the twenty twenties, who decided they were.
Speaker 7: Gonna hold on to the light. And then it is because they held onto the light, we still have a life.
Speaker 4: That's all right. That's all right. And Congressman and future Congresswoman Angela, I know you're gonna wrap this section, but I just have one piece of advice, which is simple, which is I don't know if it's gonna be you congressmen and pastic cleverer, or if it's going to be you, Representative Jones. But we need a convening of the Democratic leaders of Houses and representatives and all of the states, and or speakers or speaker designates in all the states, because I don't want to turn on the television and see Democrats and negotiating against themselves to hand over power to Republicans, because we want to choose the higher ground or the higher civil democracy ground, because we've already seen where that leads us. You don't take a spoon to the gunfight. You've already said it. But conversation can't be had in public. It needs to be had, it needs to be the fight needs to take place there. So the game playan is we have to do what is required in this moment to win.
Speaker 8: And I just want to make sure that whenever we have this convening, as you said, we need to make sure that we have black representation at the table.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we have to that's all.
Speaker 1: That's all I want to talk to. I want to talk to the black legislators, the black elected officials at every level. I've been looking at Congressman William Lacy Clay's book Just Permanent Interest, just to get inspiration for this moment. They had a black elected officials convening before they even did Gary in nineteen seventy two with the National Black Political Convention. So we are way past time. We are over time, not just for this podcast, but also for this meeting. So Andrew, I appreciate you saying that State Representative Julanda Jones always a pleasure, Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you, representative.
Speaker 1: And that's what's is absolutely and as it always is, the black woman held it now, she stayed the August tip. That's what's happening.
Speaker 4: I love it. They were great, and Angela, your point is is that, yeah, we do need a black meeting. What I'm terrified of is the Democratic Republican in Colorado, Democratic governor in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Who may Democratic republics all.
Speaker 4: I want to say, and I don't know what his position is, but I don't want to see them doing these interviews where these interviewers put them in the position. Will they say, isn't it the right thing for democracy to independent redistricting?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 4: When rules are fair, yes, but when they're cheating, when they're cheating, we have to level the field. And I'm terribly afraid that we're going to have too many of our folks not willing to jump when the time comes, and so they got to get it together, and they need to do it behind closed doors.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's just it, you know. And I think I was telling y'all this earlier. TI if I want a hushk, I do want to hear your perspectives on this too. When we were in Tunica this weekend, Congressman Thompson, I actually handed him to. Mike Joy and I were doing this fireside chat and we were talking about the Freedom to Vote Act, where members were pushing for these independent commissions. And these independent commissions work when people are in integrity. They do not work when you're playing with people who don't play by the same rule book or anything. So Congressman Thompson was one of the only Democrats to vote against this bill. Nancy Pelosi was on his head, what are you doing? Why are you voting against this?
Speaker 8: He said, I.
Speaker 1: Don't will leave in these independent commissions. I want to be right. I don't want to be fair. We're not playing with people who want to be fair. And he ended up being the property always is too.
Speaker 3: I mean, I to be honest, we've talked on this podcast a few times about what does a twenty twenty eight look like?
Speaker 1: And I think this is a preview for it.
Speaker 3: I was listening to them talk and I think this is one tiny area that casts a wide net of influence, but it's one tiny area where we can fight, where we need to make our voices heard. I think we're just looking at this is how they plan to cheat, you know, this is how this will impact midst our elections. This is going to impact the presidential elections.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: It's happening before our eyes. And it again feels like we're being flooded because they're flooding the zone. Everything is happening before our eyes. We are turning into a police state before our eyes. Like literally out outside the window where I'm looking at it's you know, DC has thirty plus different law enforcement agencies here. This is going to take place all across city. So it was nice to hear, particularly Saint Rep. Jones, she's been coloring the airwaves and you know with her fire and this is We talked about how we came to know congress Woman Jasmine Crockett because she too fled the state of Texas during a crucial vote and people fell in love with her on air. Yeah, so it's just nice to see us fighting somewhere.
Speaker 12: I am.
Speaker 3: Cautiously optimistic about what tangible impact this will have. I also appreciate her point about allies refusing to say the word racist, because to me, that makes you less of an ally. And I've given this example before, but it's like if you're at the airport and some you know, white man comes up to you and he's like, excuse me, ma'am, you need to get out of line. This is for first class passengers only, and you they're like, well you because I am in first class, and this whole you know thing as symbols. And then when it's all over, all the good hearted white folks come up to you like, I just want to say, that was completely inappropriate and we do not support that. I don't need that right now. What I needed is for you, in the moment to come up and say, wait a second, you will not speak to this woman that way. That is not appropriate.
Speaker 1: That is allyship.
Speaker 3: The other one is an effort to make you feel good about yourself. But the ally jumps in the fight when the fight is happening, and cause of a thing so I really like that that she called that out.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody, well, right after this, we're going to get to CTA's because you know, we have cost to action. Would you all like to talk about on the mini pie?
Speaker 3: I have a story I would like to tell on the mini pie, but I kind of want y'all's opinion. But I told y'all a story before. But when when she talks about that thing, I said, I want to tell the story that I told y'all briefly before about potential violence with some of these people. I told y'all, don't.
Speaker 4: Remember none of you or you're just making sure it's not to be born.
Speaker 1: And not too boring. I don't know what I'm talking about. I just I just I just feel like, I mean, maybe and maybe this is me being the political nerd. I just feel so drawn to this redistricting peace tip because there are these these these fights that are going to be waged on us, and I you know, my math isn't great, but I just want to see how the math is going to math. Like if Florida is talking about taking more seats, Florida is twenty of the twenty eight seats right now in Congress are Republican in Florida. They're talking about Nebraska, now Missouri. Of course, we just had mister Cleever on Andre and Indiana. You know, South Carolina, they're threatening mister Clybird's seat. You know when they were trying to draw another black districy not that long ago, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, And I don't know what's going to happen with Alabama. Shamari just got there, So you want to I'm like, still, I meant it, But I believe in a democracy.
Speaker 4: So I want to about the math. I want to talk about how we survive mutual annihilation. But yeah, I think I think what she's saying will carry us there.
Speaker 1: I also want to talk about when is Eric Holder coming on, because I want him to defend these independent commissions.
Speaker 4: I think we can be for them and still set it aside right now, which is why we should have that conversation.
Speaker 3: I think there's some daylight between you guys on that. Okay, So on the Mini I will tell a story when I almost literally came to blows with this white woman. I will tell that story. Yes, I will tell that story on the mini pod, okay, And that will leave us the fight of us coming to blows.
Speaker 4: Don't get what.
Speaker 1: Listen, I would like to de arrest you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely want to de escalate the matter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, all right, well let's do our calls to action.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, that's important because I was definitely just about to close out the show. But yes, we should do call.
Speaker 4: Uh, y'all could be prayed up. My two first children are now middle schoolers as of this week. Uh so uh praying up all the families who are dealing with them the return to school, Thank you Jesus. But also, you know, growing kids who who think they've grown and ain't grown. You know that.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations for surviving this far Andrew. It reminds me of the episode of The Cosby Show where it's the first day back to school and Ruby packed her own lunch.
Speaker 1: So congrats.
Speaker 4: That's exciting.
Speaker 1: Though in the time.
Speaker 3: All the parents days days are long and the years a short.
Speaker 4: Juggling, so this time is gonna go by absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that's a believe it back to school already? Speaking of my goodness, I guess.
Speaker 1: So, TIV, what's your CTA?
Speaker 3: My call to action is to survive these encounters with law enforcement I'm struck by what I'm seeing across the streets of DC. And I know, we know, we collectively know right now with certainty, that these interactions will continue to expand he's already said he's coming to Chicago, Baltimore, Oakland and other cities, particularly those were black mayors. So it's fine for us to protest, it's fine for us to not yield to authoritarianism, but please survive, know your rights, and survive the encounter. Because I don't want any of y'all to be a hashtag. I don't want us showing pictures or bodycam footage of somebody whose anger got the better of them. We have to be smart and strategic with how we confront authoritarianism is particularly when it comes to people who are armed and have been given immunity to do whatever they want to to you. We got to be smart about that.
Speaker 5: Son'll survive.
Speaker 1: Please survive. We need you to. My call to action is actually I need you all to toorn your neighbor and say fifty dollars well, thank you for your participation. We are giving away a fifty dollars gift card to some lucky winner for those of you who agree to take our survey. We have an audience survey that you all have seen a great promo from tip about online if you follow us on Instagram. We also have a clip of it up on our YouTube and it is in our podcast as a promo. We want you to weigh in. Tell us what you like about the show, give us your feedback. We definitely want to hear from you. You can check out the link in this episode's description. And I really want to just say, you know, the loonies might have said they got five on it. We got fifty on it, so we've been beaten the loonies up here right and a poster right, Oh yes, and it's consolation prize for those of you who don't get the f fifty dollars is a sign poster from us. Some of you are all excited about it. I don't know why, but we're gratefuls And as always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native lamppod. We are available on all podcast platforms and YouTube. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our Recent Choice Media network. It's Politics with Jamil Hill Off The Cup with Si Cup in our newest edition now you know with thirteen year old Noah de Barrasso. Be sure to give those a follow, and don't forget to follow us to on social media. By the way, y'all, we are on fan base now and subscribe to our text or email list on Native landpod dot com. We are your hosts Angela Raie, Tiffany Cross and Andrew Gillum. Welcome home, y'all. There are four hundred and forty six days until the midtermination one of the last morning.
Speaker 2: Say thank you for joining the Native's attention to what the info and all of the latest rock Gillam and Cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you so for the patients Reason for your Choice is cleared, so grateful and took to execute Road for serve, defend and protect the truth even in paste Walcome home.
Speaker 4: To all of the Natives, We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.