Speaker 1: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed dot com slash pod katz thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 2: All right, All right, guys, welcome back to our religion podcast.
Speaker 3: This is a very special edition La edition.
Speaker 2: Yeah Cali Loved Shots, California, whole state of count shouts, open, shout, Yeah, shouts over shout the Sacramento sho out to San Diego, all over So you know, as we said before previously, you know, the message of financial literacy is something that.
Speaker 3: We need to spread all over the world, all over the country.
Speaker 2: So this is a dope trip for us when we're on the West Side and we're connected with a lot of great people. And you know, the premise of our show if you are a loyal listener or if you're just a new listener, the premise of our show is that we tell the financial backstories but behind sports entertainment business also. But it's comedy based around sports entertainment, right, because a lot of times people don't fully thank or they don't fully understand what goes into it. They just watch the NFL, they watch a movie and watch Netflix. But every business is a business, right.
Speaker 4: We find that everything is a business, right, Education that's a business. But every everything always comes back to the money.
Speaker 2: It always comes back to my much. It always comes back to your money. So with that being said, we was lucky enough to connect with the brother Romyo Brown, who is a actor and producer of entrepreneurs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he does a lot. He does a lot some of the you know shows that he's been in. The n CIS.
Speaker 2: We have swat obviously the rookie just finished being married, Jean congratulations showing love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Atlanta, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: It was good to so, you know, when I connected with him on the phone, we spoke and I'm like, well, no, we definitely really gotta get you on the show if possible, because he just had a lot to say and you know a lot of just good information that I think would be very valuable to everybody to soak in.
Speaker 3: So, first and foremost, thank you for coming on the show. Appreciate it. So we're numb right into it.
Speaker 2: So you know, you're an actor, right amongst other things. But we'll talk about the first segment as far as your acting careers concern So a lot of people have aspirations of being an actor, right, It's kind of like being an athlete where it's glamorous.
Speaker 3: Right. We see people, you know, we.
Speaker 2: Watched the Oscar, We watched these awards shows. Watch everybody wants to be an actor. So all right, can you talk about your journey as far as getting to Hollywood if you're not from la originally.
Speaker 3: Like you know the steps that you took and you.
Speaker 2: Know how you you actually became a working actor because it really set blueprint everybody's.
Speaker 5: Journey, and that's that's one of the most deterring things is that somebody, you know, you could be doing it for ten fifteen years and still be struggling.
Speaker 3: Somebody could come here for a year and pop, right, man, you're just you know whatever. So that's crazy. But re winded to the back.
Speaker 5: Obviously from from Oakland, California. I'm like most black males. I wanted to play football, but I got into the drama program a boy my senior year, junior senior year, and they said you got to pick these electives and then I was like, well, Spanish seems really hard, and all the girls seemed went there, and so I was like, I'm gonna do that. I'm gonna go with that. But I just fell in love with it. For whatever reason it was. I've never been one to like the monotony of knowing what's gonna happen day to day and always confused me and life is growing up.
Speaker 3: It was just like, how come I'm not to do the same thing every day? Like I know what's gonna happen, Yeah, I don't know what's for lunch. I actually gotta do it. Im Ima looked at it, you got to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So when when I got to step on that stage and you know, I was a bad guy or I was the good guy, I.
Speaker 3: Was just it was like every time I had to put on these different.
Speaker 5: Characters and if I've done it well, I was praised for I was crazy and then I was like, Okay, maybe I like this. Then I would really changed everything. As I did the AIDS Awareness.
Speaker 3: Play at the Henry J.
Speaker 5: Kyser Center in Oakland, and I was just having a great time with the character. And literally people after that came up in tears telling me how much they appreciated me telling that story, and they hit my heart.
Speaker 3: I was like, wow, like I can change lives and have fun. So I'm gonna do that, you know.
Speaker 5: So I told my parents if all my parents and my family has always been super super supportive, and you know, I strapped up my boots and came out. Came out this way, came out of cal State Northridge. Originally I was with a theater major, theater major, but then I started meeting cats quick. Like you know, me from being in Oakland seeing the TV was like a fantasy world. It might as well be Disneyland, you know. And then seeing all these cars and stuff, I was like, are they giving.
Speaker 3: How If I want to give a free something's got to be going on and tell me how to do it.
Speaker 5: So it was just like it was like a big culture shock coming coming from the Bay Area because we just don't see the stuff you see.
Speaker 3: You don't see the celebrities.
Speaker 5: So to see a cat that's on like a Skillers commercial, it was like, yo.
Speaker 3: Do I'm in class like you know. And then as you you know, I got a big energy.
Speaker 5: You know, if I ever got to say anything about me, that's like my my top top thing that I love about me is my energy, Like I can I can just absorb a room and just like if you beep on him, I can just crush that, like come on, man, what is this? Why are we doing it? And I think people gravity take it towards me. And then I started meeting the people and they just started like pouring information out. So they's like, yo, you don't need to be a theater major to do this, Like go ahead, cut that out and then just take this class.
Speaker 3: Just take this class.
Speaker 5: So then I switched over the radio, radio, television, film and I took that for a while it was cool. And then where I found where my love and my heart was was at marketing. So I still took marketing, still doing the whole acting thing.
Speaker 3: Whatever. The building blocks that marketing gave me was.
Speaker 5: Insane, you know, it was insane, like, for instance, I'll get right back to what you asked. But there was this term in marketing called swat and it's not as w a T, it's swot. And I feel like that kind of structured my life in a big way because the definition is in marketing, if you know your swat, which is your strengths, your.
Speaker 3: Weaknesses, your opportunities and threats.
Speaker 5: Cool if you put that, if you really and be honest with yourself, whether it's finances, whether it's your career, whatever it is.
Speaker 3: If you put that swat in.
Speaker 5: Front of Eve and say, hey, what are my stunts, what are my weaknesses, What are the.
Speaker 3: Opportunities, and what are the threats.
Speaker 5: If you really drill those down, there's nothing that you can't achieve because now you know what your strengths are, so you push those up.
Speaker 3: Now you know what your weaknesses are.
Speaker 5: You need to fix those, those opportunities need to go after them and the threats. You got to figure out why they threats. Because once you know what something want something is a threat, you got the answers. That's just like some people say, I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's in the dark.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm saying. So that's that. And then also the MVP.
Speaker 5: And we're not talking about the most valuable player, it's the most it's the minimum viable product. So maybe people got these big dreams of you know, saying, oh, I want to have this huge company or I want to do this major feature film, and.
Speaker 3: They never even get off ground.
Speaker 5: One what that marketing class taught me was is to dumb it down to the minimum viable product. What can you do with your budget right now? I don't care if it's one hundred dollars? What can how close can you get to getting that done? Just you can get an eye on. Okay, this worked, but how can I make that grow? And from that you just start building. I don't care if you got this crazy idea about a magical coffee cup, Okay, well that magical coffee cup is going to cost you a million dollars, will really get made. So what you do is you take that regular cup, go put sticker on it and tell people what it will be about. Now make sixty of those. Go sit somewhere and get the people's ideas. What do you think about this? What do you think about this?
Speaker 3: Now you got numbers, and it's power numbers, especially with the internet.
Speaker 5: Now you've got a following to say the people want this, and then you just start rolling. But if you're just so busy trying to get that magical coffee cup, you go get a million dollars just by talking about the national coffee cup.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you said that because it all intertwines, right, It all into twines when we talk about entertaining entrepreneurship business. And that's kind of duty to podcast, is that everything if you really are aware of you can really maximize your potential if you understand the business behind it.
Speaker 3: Right. So, like what you just broke down with the slot out of dop, I know actually.
Speaker 2: Everything you said that before about it, it makes a lot of sense, right Like so all right, so now as far as being an actor, right, because we know that a lot of people aspire to be an actor, but they don't understand the financial side. I kind of compare it to being an athlete. People always say, like, how do athletes go broke? Right, But they don't know that they might only get paid two times a month.
Speaker 3: They don't know that about it.
Speaker 2: They play in a different state, and they pay state taxes in each state that they're playing that there's fees.
Speaker 3: That come out. It's a lot of things that go into it.
Speaker 2: It's not it's, oh, I got fifty million dollars, right, Like you might not even see a quart up that because it's not guarantees and this is so much stuff.
Speaker 3: Right. So acting is kind of similar with people.
Speaker 2: You know, they look at actors like, oh, everybody's blowing out of control. But there's a lot of financial things that go into being an actor that people don't don't understand, right, you just talk about.
Speaker 3: It too well, Like first and foremost.
Speaker 5: One of the things that I take again, it was a big shot, Like nobody out there had jobs like here I am. I come from open so I started out working at home depot, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And all my friends that were actors, they just never went to work. I'm like, well, why am I the only one going the way, but I hated it. They'd be at pool parties, they'd be chilled.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 5: Man, it was. It was a rough time from it. It was a rough one because I just didn't understand it. And you know, and there's so many different hustles and sideles. There's so many things to distract you from the craft. And that's why I'm glad that I stayed with my guns and stayed working and always hustled. And you know, as I got older, I started to appreciate what working really dumb for me and you know, my life. But what people don't understand in the whole acting game is is they confuse it. People are there, people are saying, oh, being a struggling actor, that's what it is. And I'm said, no, I think people are totally wrong about that. You don't have to be a struggling actor. You need to find a path, you need to feed the knee. And I don't want to sound funny, but I've always used this analogy, which may be a bad one, but a crackhead is going to do whatever that person needs to do to get cracked. They will steal from their mama, they will rob a car, they don't care. It's so deep and invested in and then they're going to do whatever to do to get the craft, which is terrible.
Speaker 3: It's a terrible thing.
Speaker 5: But when you love acting as much as those people need that drug, you do whatever you gotta do to feed the need people want to if you're starving. You can't be starving and going to an audition and not seem desperate, right, you just can't.
Speaker 3: And that was like one of the things I think last year when Jeffrey Owens and who was not familiar with that was the gentleman.
Speaker 4: From Cosby should right when they's sol home working at the supermarket. People are like, oh my gosh, what he's doing. But he's like, no, I'm in between kings right now. This is a real life rime. Like that's why I said one of the things that that you made evidence like, yo, I worked at home people, I did these jobs. He said, yeah, I two good, but I got a hustle. And I think people overlook that they want to climbing. It's Hollywood. I want to be famous, and it's like, nah, there's a learn like that's you've earned that vision.
Speaker 5: Right, absolutely absolutely, And what what happens in the in the in the in between.
Speaker 3: Calling that purgatory state, you know, purgatories, you know, between heaven and hell. What happens is is that people get lost. People really get lost because.
Speaker 5: They want the fan, they want the money, and I don't want to be like I've always been mister Diddy two shoes because I wanted to do all that at a time too. But all it did was make me feel like less of a man, less of a person, less of an actor because Edel told me.
Speaker 3: But they said the I know it's.
Speaker 5: Actually a Bible, but I'm not super you know, religious, but it said the sheep that stray furthest away from the shepherd are the ones to get attacked by the wolves first and something like that. But it's true because the the shepherd's there to protect them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You stay close to it, then you're good.
Speaker 5: But same thing with the game, Like if you stay close to it and all you're doing is acting, class, working out, trying to do plays, watching plays, you don't see that glitz and glam world, so it doesn't affect you like you're in this bubble because all you want to do is acting. People don't do that they start to get to la and you start to see these things and it's such a distraction.
Speaker 3: And when that happens financially, you start to feel cripple.
Speaker 5: You're like, here, I am working at this damn Starbucks, are working whatever just so I can go to auditions for what I want in my life. I'm wasting my time. But that's because they started looking outside and set the inside.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: If you would have just kept your little apartment, stay bob, stay frinding, stayed patient, then you would have been good. Finances. Don't come into it then because you're following a dream.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: It's like you'll see who has a passion and who's.
Speaker 3: Fight chasing that purpose. Yeah, I'm right.
Speaker 4: You like just hearing me talk about it, it's like you could hear the purpose, like this is what I was meant to do. But as people who don't, it's like they're gonna physill. That's because it's like, I'm just doing this because.
Speaker 5: I want to be doing And then one of the big, one of the bigger things, just to just to piggyback what you were saying earlier, I came in and I had I had natural talent. I was naturally talented from like the energy and whatever. But skill and talent are two different things, absolutely two different things. So I was naturally talented and I booked. I had, like I booked like four commercials in one year. There was a doctor Pepper which I shot with a low cool jet. That was crazy because that was the last commercial that run DMC had done together before he right, that was the last one. It was a doctor Pepper joint, so that ran like crazy, which had me paid. I did the McDonald's commercial, did a PlayStation two and to be by all in the same year, you know what I mean. And then my mom and my dad was super super excited. But my dad, my dad is real hard those He's like, you're the man, right right, you used to buy your own house.
Speaker 3: I was goin to.
Speaker 2: Like the expectations, right, like Paul Park numbers, how much would a commercial pay? How much would being an extra? Because I seen like even like rappers and stuff. I've seen like interviews where that they're like in movies. But I think I forgot who Cameron Cameron did paid him for when he said he got five thousand dollars for it.
Speaker 3: If you think I'm like.
Speaker 2: Paid him for that's a at least in the hood, right at least, but it's like I wouldn't.
Speaker 3: I would through he got paid more than five thousand. He's the lead acting.
Speaker 5: Now, when you get you gotta understand the business of acting, like when you when you start out. Whenever you see somebody that's on you gotta know that that for a year and a half, I don't care the stuff you see, they weren't getting paid like that. You're getting paid at a quote. That's why when you got a good agent or a good manager, they whatever you made that last TV show, that's what they get to go off of.
Speaker 3: And if the movie or.
Speaker 5: The TV show is big enough, you'll knock that quote down, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: If my quote right now.
Speaker 5: Is at ten thousand dollars an episode, but a show like.
Speaker 3: This is us on the Marvelous MS.
Speaker 5: Mazel said, well, we'll take them, but we can only maybe do five grande.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it because because.
Speaker 5: They know it will catapult my career to the next level.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: So when you see these people that you don't know, you see them on the shows or whatever.
Speaker 3: No, no, and you know who does make money like that?
Speaker 5: When you see people like flow, that flow is the face of progressive. That is a contract. That is a contract. Yeah shitever you don't hear that is a contract. But when you see like even when you see me like on Life Safe from a swat, I've done there the four shows and like less than four months. It's been a great year. But each of those, all I do was piggyback off the quotes, off the quotes, off the quotes. And now I'm at a point where it's like, Okay, give you why I'm cheap, and you better do it because I know where I'm go And even if that doesn't pop the way I needed to pop, it is why I start writing and to producer to the next year.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You gotta control your destiny. You gotta control your faith.
Speaker 5: And the bad part about it is is that as African Americans, we have we've been dumbed down to believe that we can't do a lot of things that we can because all movies are is telling stories, and they make us believe only stories we can tell us about cracking in the cities, somebody Mama or Daddy being goom.
Speaker 4: All that is is not it's like the slavery time period. It's like we never get to tell the static social exactly. It's enough though, it's enough. Everybody does not come from poverty. All these things. It's not the truth. But every time something.
Speaker 5: Gets championed, are highlighted, it's gotta be about negative things or slavery or whatever.
Speaker 3: When we people just like anybody else, you know. And that's why.
Speaker 5: Us it's so good because what happens is as African American writers, we feel like we gotta put on the shelf. So instead of laughing with us, you're laughing at us. When you usually see a white company, you're just laughing at their comedy. You'll never be like, oh, I'm gonna watch a white movie because I'm but you gonna watch a black film. And that's what I think us did. It took those color lines off because we didn't need the Hey, you didn't see nobody saddy.
Speaker 3: Adn't see no guns. It was just a black family just done it all, you know what, and that was it.
Speaker 5: And you didn't say, oh, it's a black movie because there was no reminiants of that.
Speaker 3: You know, everybody was just happening. Yeah, it was. It was dope.
Speaker 4: But it was like I think China had this conversation, like when we watched the Insecurity, it was like, yo, black professionals like those are like the women that we are going same, but the things we're waiting for that and next thing, it's like yo, young black men else we're doing similar things, have great stories. Don't comfort poverty? Who never saw drugs? Why professionals like.
Speaker 3: We need that. It's coming, it's coming, It's it's coming.
Speaker 5: Is And I'm almost ashamed because when I saw Black Panther, I had never seen black so beautiful. I just had like a baldhead black woman looking that like the whole cast, right, the whole cast. I'm just like wow. And it was like first I was ashamed with it. I was like, my whole life, I have never seen that my whole life. I have never seen black is beautiful on that level. We're talking about superheroes the whole time.
Speaker 3: You see in Superman, Batman, all these other people, which is cool.
Speaker 5: I'm not hating on it. But to see it and we be this old and have to take a breath like wow, it.
Speaker 3: Just shows you what happens.
Speaker 5: And then now you start to see that we can tell our own stories, we can start producing. Because that, I would say is what changed me as an actor, because I was like, you know what, up, I can tell my story. My story is from Oakland. My story is about my family, my little sister of my baby sister has breast cancer. There's a lot of things going on in Oakland that I don't approve of, but I feel like I had a hand in that because I'm a.
Speaker 3: Very educated person. I'm very well spoken.
Speaker 5: But if if everybody who has talent leaves the city, and that's what we just hand back, who's.
Speaker 3: Walk is at? And that that leads us to our next segment.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about what you're doing behind the scenes and also the town oh until job?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: So okay, so now we talked about you know, your journey and getting into Hollywood and the journey of any actor, but we want to get behind the scenes as well.
Speaker 3: Right, So you are not just an actor, you're a producer.
Speaker 2: As well, right, And you got a couple of interesting projects that you're working on.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get to that, but all right, can.
Speaker 2: You talk about your journey from being an actor to wanting to be a producer and so how that looks because now that's strictly like you got to be a businessman or woman to be an actor, right because you got to be on top of.
Speaker 3: Your petn Q.
Speaker 2: But if you're a producer, you definitely have to be because that's what it is. Right Like now you're actually you know, have a budget. You got to allocate that budget. You got to try to get the budget, you got to know how much money. You gotta have proposals and all that stuff. So that is actually even to me even more important because you the purple person behind the camera has more power than the person in front of the cameras. And this is why we talk about images as far like what you just said about black Panther and how we're portrayed, you know, in the media and all that stuff, is because the person behind the camera for so long didn't look like us, right, so they can they can dictate whatever they want as a narrative. It's concerna right, So can you talk about the journey behind the camera and what that looks like from your perspective, because I'm sure it's interesting. You know, you're learning as your goal, so I'm pretty sure it. Well, one thing we want to express. First is what happens.
Speaker 5: Between a movie and a book, which you will also relate to Instagram. If we all watch a movie or see the same post, our mind's eye has been forced to see the same thing, right.
Speaker 3: But if you get a book, we can all read the same book.
Speaker 5: But if we broke down that girl in it, the guy, even the dog, everybody's opinion of that will look so different interpretation, right. And see, that's the problem with the world we live in today. Everybody's allowing people to force their opinions just by watching stuff. So what I wanted to do was once I realized that, I'm like, yo, it's such a visual world.
Speaker 3: That's why Instagram is flourishing, because you know what I mean, People just want to see. People just want to see, They want to see, they want to see.
Speaker 5: And that's why I don't have tons of Instagram followers because I just still want to be part of that world. I just did not want to be part of that world as as long as I've been doing it. Like if you look at my credits, like if I wanted to do that, I could have did that when I was on tour, but I didn't want to be like, hey, get this picture with me, either to me, you know, and.
Speaker 3: A struggle behind was still struggle. You know.
Speaker 5: I had bought the property, but to keep up property it's hard too. I had people moving in and moving out on me, all of that. But once I realized that visually things changed lives, I said, Okay, either you could, you know, you could either do it or don't because it's going to leave you behind. So how do you change people's opinion about it or how do you make yourself feel good about doing it? And the only way I have to do that was to tell my story, to tell what I knew first, because once I understand anything, and not to go off track.
Speaker 3: But I just got an amazing job, an amazing job.
Speaker 5: I work as an IT tech where we install smartphones and security for celebrities and major companies. And when I saw all these wires, all this stuff, I'm like, yo, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Get fired next week. This is around, I'm gonna lose the best job I got in a week.
Speaker 5: But as I started to understand it and understanding it, I'm rocking.
Speaker 3: Now, you know what I mean? I feel like they do that to us with too stocks.
Speaker 5: They make us not understand it all these all these words they use so you don't understand anyway, But now I understand.
Speaker 3: So when I said, was look, I'll tell.
Speaker 5: My story in a way that makes me feel comfortable and it opens the eyes to things. And I feel like Oakland right now is being like taken over. I feel like my city is being like literally ripped. Nothing from the the original Oakland will be there. The raiders are going, the warriors are going. All these things are happening. So I was like, listen, how do I how do I show my point of view? So I just start writing. I just start writing. You know, I know the pain come from my family because, like I said, my family was never broken. You know, I never had a broken family. My parents did a divorced to till two years ago, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean. But they were together. My mom had me at sixteen, you know what I'm saying. So you know their separation is you know, on them.
Speaker 5: But everybody poured so much love into me when I was home, and when they told me to go, that's all I did. I never looked back once, you know what I mean. And when you leave a piece of a puzzle leaves I feel like there's a gap and that's what I'm just trying to fix now. So on this producing side, I can't say that I'm a master producer or even a master writer. I just know that I'm a good captain. I know, I know I hired the appropriate people to do it, and I know that I speak with enough passion and.
Speaker 3: They believe me. They don't just jump on and be like, Oh, I'm gonna do it. Oh I'm gonna do this. No, I don't know how to do this. Can you help me? That's what I can't do that that's important right now? Help me? And knowing that is important, right, you know what, I'm not great at this. Let me find somebody who is great.
Speaker 4: And the fact that you're even doing it and acknowledge them is like the inspiration behind it, right because they might be a kid that's watching, like, you know what, he did it, He's from here.
Speaker 3: I got a chance, right, you know what I'm saying. And that's that's dope.
Speaker 4: Like when you're doing you're doing the work, but you don't know that the impact that it's happening a trillions, even barns, that's dope.
Speaker 3: And then financially, on the financial side of it.
Speaker 5: You are one hundred percent correct, because what happens is is me sitting behind the camera saying, Okay, this project may cost me one hundred thousand dollars, and if I'm gonna get that hundred dollars, and I'm gonna take it out and say my condo that I own, now, that's my money.
Speaker 3: That's my money. So now you're sitting behind.
Speaker 5: This camera saying, who's gonna do the best job to get me my money back?
Speaker 3: That's what every actor needs to understand. You're coming up in this game.
Speaker 5: I don't care who you are. My job behind that camera. Everybody's on this side. Who's gonna get our money back? You could be a better actor, but that dude has a name, So don't go beat yourself up. I want my everybody want their money back. I don't do it for the love of it. If I put one hundred thousand dollars in, I at least better get my money that And I think a lot of actors get in this game think about themselves or in the business side, because I did too.
Speaker 3: That's all I was thinking about, Like, yo, I want to do this, I want to do some own this. When I would have.
Speaker 5: Really thought about the business and say, listen, you got to see it from their eyes and see what they want to be seen as opposed to you just trying to be this character, because when you understand the investment, then you put a little bit more blessed well and tears into that character because it's like, listen, you got to be the best.
Speaker 3: If I'm putting my money on you. Yeah, I'm put my money on you.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you so, all right, if I'm a kid in college or high school, whatever, and I have dreams of writing a show for Netflix or a movie or whatever, how would I go about raising money?
Speaker 3: What avenues is it to actually raise.
Speaker 5: Money to you know, put a project together? I would say, do not do not go around trying to raise money. Submerge yourself in the craft.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is you're doing.
Speaker 5: When you you know it's right, when it's at the level it needs to be at, the money will come. Submerge yourself in that. Like you gotta find like you need to be in a class.
Speaker 3: You need to be in this. You needs to be in that.
Speaker 5: Because I'm telling you whenever whenever I'm not feeling good is because I have I've stepped out of bounds. I'm not in the gym. I'm not an acting class. I'm not doing the things that I need to do to do it. But I promise you, when you stay in the when you stay in the cipher, it comes out of the woolworks and when you got something good too. Some people got to understand when bullshit is bullshit and God can't.
Speaker 3: Help you it, don't take you gotta take these tips. If you ain't got the shit right, you know what I mean. But if you got a product.
Speaker 5: And you stay with it, and you stay humble, and you stay just pressing it, fixing it, press it and fix it, trying to raise.
Speaker 3: Money, don't let that be your focus.
Speaker 5: Make sure that make sure that that thing that you're doing is as good as it can be. Like that's why when I when I wrote that, when I wrote the Town and then I put it out there, it was like you delivering a baby out into the world. And then when people was like, yo, this is fire, I was like, that was my first time out the gate. What can I do? What else can I do? So I would say, don't don't focus on money, don't focus on other people's ideas of what you're doing.
Speaker 3: Just make it the best it could be.
Speaker 5: Even an acting people are like, oh, give me a tip on this, or give me a tip on that. I was like, no, how do I find an agent? No, go to a class that is a good class. Not because they got this huge name. Wasting all your money. Not wasting all your money because you going people being a thousand dollars of acting classes and barely even going up. You know what I'm saying, don't do that. What you want to do is dumb down your life. Dumb down your life so that you can really see what's what you know what I mean, So you can say, hey, you know what, I'm wasting money on this, I'm wasting money on that.
Speaker 3: Live less so you can live more, you know what I mean. Start to really break those down.
Speaker 5: The mint app is huge, Like people worry about, oh I don't know how to like thous my books or you notice the men that you put your bank account stuff in there, it'll show me.
Speaker 3: And it was baffling to me. I was like, oh, you know, I'm not spending that much money. I'm okay, it's only like ten thousand, ten dollars there fifteen to twenty when men put it up. It's like, Yo, you spent eight hundred dollars on leisure.
Speaker 5: I'm like, no, I didn't. That's impossible. Yeah, and put when you can see it, it's there because we got it. Yeah, And so ask you a question. Focus on the passion, because when you focus on the passion, I promise you the universe is going to work in your favor.
Speaker 3: Because that's that's important. Man.
Speaker 4: So I'm going back to the part where like from a financial standpoint, how somebody can get into acting as far as raising and dedicating themselves to the craft. But you said before you got to cal State Northridge, there was a program that you were in for acting. Absolutely, yeah, you talk about that little bit, summer Bridge program. Summer Bridge program saved my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: What happens is summer Bridge program only takes something I think maybe one hundred students or whatnot. They only take actually thirty abroad, and then they keep the other ones right here Los Angeles and they take the kids who.
Speaker 3: You know had the numbers and you know, maybe had the grades but just.
Speaker 5: You know, either one thing didn't work out or you know, they knew they wouldn't get into the colleges they needed immediately. So you go into the Summer Ridge program, which allows you to go to the college that summer before your first year.
Speaker 3: So it just it.
Speaker 5: Changed everything about me going into college because I had a group of kids. It was about eighty of us, and we had Pan African studies, we had one of the history classes in one of the elective classes. All of us we started with a chip on our shoulder anyway, because we felt like we should have got in the way everybody else got in.
Speaker 3: But when you know you're.
Speaker 5: Going against people who know exactly how to get into college, I just wasn't taught that, you know. I thought I thought I was good, you know, but you don't know that you're going against everybody else. Indeed, you going against everybody in the United States. So it really helps me out in one way because A got me into college.
Speaker 3: B It gave me a home.
Speaker 5: I felt at home before I happen to deal with this big college thing, you.
Speaker 3: Know, Oh my god, I'm going to college. Didn't feel like that. It felt like I was in.
Speaker 5: High school still because I had this group of people that was with me before, and then we had our own rais, which is a resident advisor so when we came in our freshman year, we was kind of like sophomores. People was coming to us asking us questions like, oh, how you get here or how you do this? We were like, oh, you're trying to get over there, it's right there. Oh the lunshrow is right here. Then you got your crew, so you feel you feel safer in a safer environment when you already have your classes and the professors was like hand on, the resident advices was hand on.
Speaker 3: Whatever your weakness was, they had people.
Speaker 5: There to literally help you do it, like literally, like anything that you were bad at, they weren't letting you out of there with being.
Speaker 3: That same weakness.
Speaker 4: That's because a lot of the people don't have that old things when they go to college.
Speaker 3: So like the programs like that. Definitely, the summer Ridge is big. Summer Ridges big.
Speaker 5: And then I was gone, like I didn't have that time to even think about, oh I might not do it, so I may not do that.
Speaker 3: One week after I graduated, I was gone. I ain't never been that to.
Speaker 5: Open sens not I mean, not to live obviously, you know, to visit vand but since I left, it was like I ain't going back to open you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Now, what you said was key as far as and we said that at the time, you gotta stay down til you come up as far as don't work. It's interesting you said don't worry about getting funded in because a lot of people dm us and because we you know, we talk about the streaming walls, right but Apple getting and streaming and Netflix and Fox and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So right now it's a good time, I.
Speaker 2: Think for creators because there's a lot of different opportunities, right And people they asked that question. That's why I asked you. People were like, well, how did idea? But how do I get in front of Netflix or how do I get in front of Amazon? How do I get in front of Apple? Where I can you know, pitch this and get a series. But your thing is, don't worry about just put out have a good quality product first.
Speaker 3: The energy will just align with the universe has a.
Speaker 5: RELI it's meant to be absolutely I mean, I mean, that's that's just what I believe, because there's no way that if you're giving your absolute off, if you're giving everything and I mean ten toes down, if you're giving everything, it just it just doesn't.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work. The world doesn't work like that.
Speaker 5: But it's very hard to give your absolute awe to cut out. I mean all of the like the Bull really focused on it, like be able to put that script or idea out, get notes, redo it, do it again, get notes. Like it took a year and a half for me to actually get the script in everything that I have down, then to get the numbers and say, you know what, this is.
Speaker 3: A million dollar script.
Speaker 5: Maybe I can't have that hospital scene, maybe I can't have that air force scene. You start to really say, how do I've done this down to the minimum viable product?
Speaker 3: People see if I get this thing actually done?
Speaker 5: And then once you start seeing that, it just changed your perspective on every thing, like even don't don't don't eat football. These networks, the streaming and Netflix, because you don't get paid like you get paid with network.
Speaker 3: It's a streaming thing.
Speaker 4: So it's way different with caps because it based on the numbers of the people who who actually consumed it.
Speaker 5: Those contracts ain't are nothing to doing none of that like people like on a smaller scale, when Netflix produce something like you're getting paid whatever they pay you that don't have nothing to do with anything else. Only time you really start getting like power like that, like real power is like when you start getting second and third seasons, because now you can be like, you know what I was leave and they know that you're a pivotal part in that in that you know that series are or that movie, that franchise. Now you got all the power, you got the juice. But until then, until people start watching like that, you're at the mercy of you know.
Speaker 3: I think that's one of the one of.
Speaker 5: The misconceptions, right, you know what I mean, because people will see people doing stuff they don't realize like that person is struggling, Like like I'm doing well right now, but I'm only doing well because of the avenues of money that I have. Like that condo I have is paying for not only itself, but the place I live.
Speaker 3: Like I also still work.
Speaker 5: I got a voice over studio in my house, you know, and then I still got a job that lets me go and come as out you know.
Speaker 3: Please, So multiple strings of hell yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's like when you humble yourself, it changes your perspective. I had to work at Costco just because things was just getting rough and I was like, you need to get off this.
Speaker 3: High horse man.
Speaker 5: You know, you went around, run around with celebrities, thought you was cool doing all this, and now look what you got. You talking about Quinn act and you talking about you might think about going back to open but you've done this. You dumbed that hole for yourself, trying to be flied. And then when I had to go back to when I had to go back to work at night, working at Costco, it humbled me, you know what I mean, And it made me realize the energy and the power that I had to meet because you had people just working in there like why are you working here?
Speaker 3: Because I was stupid for my year to have doing stupid shit.
Speaker 5: It everybody want to give you the answers, and then you start appreciating, is this what I.
Speaker 3: Want to do my whole life?
Speaker 5: You said you want to do something, you told yourself you came in for a reason, and you you to turn.
Speaker 3: Off that step. And then once you realize that I don't want to have to do this.
Speaker 5: As at some point in my life I want to what I want a kid, and this is the profession I chose. So if you ain't gonna be all in, you need to just quit so you can do something else. Because I'm very talented. I can do a lot of things, and working regular jobs, regular stuff is what gave me the passion and desire to push forwards.
Speaker 3: Like I can't do this, I cannot do this every day.
Speaker 5: And then I took all my auditions, everything out, everything else in my life.
Speaker 3: I took so much more serious. So when you said, all right, I just thought about something. Streaming. When we think about streaming's first thing the music business, right, how many streams you give?
Speaker 2: You make money per stream small amount, even YouTube you make money per like stream well listen right, but Netflix doesn't. It doesn't work like that. Huh, like it does. It doesn't matter how many people actually watch your show. You just get a lot some of money whatever.
Speaker 5: That what you signed is what you signed that I'm only talking about on the I I mean.
Speaker 3: No, because that's it's just how actor goes. You don't. You don't unless it's inked and you're the lead and you already have a name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, then maybe it's like, okay, we can pay this on the back end, or we can do this. But when you go in the negotiations happened.
Speaker 3: Before you even touched the set.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like bird Box, Yeah, like they signed the contract to do Birdbodes.
Speaker 3: The response is so crazy like that. It's like the number. But it's part too. We're gonna need something that. Now.
Speaker 5: That's when you start having a power and it's like, okay, here's part two. Well I won't do it unless this, and they're like, well how about this? Okay, well how about that?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? Because that's the same thing with like pilot season. Real quick, it's like, pilot.
Speaker 5: Season is one of the biggest parts of the year for actors and the people trying to get these things done. People don't know what pilot's going to pop. So you could book a pilot, but they don't get picked up. You book a pilot, it gets aired and get cut in the third week, and nobody thought was going to rock. It's like, you know what I mean, something that was gonna go because it was a book and stuff. Some of the stuff that people just take a chance on, some of the ones that just just you be like, wow, eight season and I.
Speaker 3: Say that to myself. I just saw like a cancelation list. It just came up what is it list?
Speaker 4: And I'm looking at it, I'm like, Wow, that's going too Oh, that's going okay. You never know who That's why I got a quick question, because you're writing and you're producing it and directing.
Speaker 3: Ernest what's up?
Speaker 6: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless, whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, where it makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com, backslash, go backslash, eyl to learn more. That Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl, don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward. This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring the safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live a more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association Member FDIC.
Speaker 7: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas. Man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, you're next. You will be fine nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned and deported, you will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right, leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 3: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security.
Speaker 4: And when we talk about music, right, the person who writes directord gets paid the president producers if you paid. So if you have a project and you're doing all those things, those are another those are poems of income.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: So like you do your own project right, you produce it directed and you starting it, we're talking four different chains of income. You are, but you aren't because in the beginning doing all those things, you're wearing nows hats.
Speaker 3: Because you're trying to save that money. Doesn't what else right?
Speaker 5: Because you want the project to be at its best.
Speaker 3: So even if somebody does, because right now.
Speaker 5: I'm pitching and I'm having pitch meetings, I'm talking and they're like, Okay.
Speaker 3: Well what if you know what two hundred thousand episode work? So that's what you got.
Speaker 5: You have that two hundred thousand dollars to produce that entire episode. So I could be like, shit, well i'm the director, I'll take that. I'm starting, I'll take that and also erode it. Now you're down fifty grand. Now your project to your project has sacrificed because you could have put that into maybe some more wardrobe, another location, of those things like that are giving it to the cast member.
Speaker 3: Maybe you only want one strong lead.
Speaker 5: That fifty you took, you could have gained that to that person because you know they're going to bring eyes to that. So it's on two sides of it once you kind of get up there, yes, but in the beginning you need to take that hell in the beginning so you can do justice. If you believe in your projects. Some people don't care. Some people like, yeah, i'll put it out whatever, if you pay.
Speaker 3: Me out to take a check, that's your side. You know what I'm saying, take the check and run.
Speaker 5: But if you're invested and you believe in your project, you want to stay there from start to finish it because people can people try to tinure with my project? Are you okay with not being the lead? Can we not have it in Oakland? It's a lot of things, and it's just like, what are you willing to sacrifice it in this project? I don't want to be in too much because it's a passion project for me. It's about my family, it's about Oakland. It's about a lot of things that people really need to hear because it's like the newspaper.
Speaker 3: You can read the bullshit if you want to, but if you really want to know, you gotta dig. No, I'm glad you said that. That leads us right to our next topic.
Speaker 2: All right, so we talked about a few things, but now we're.
Speaker 3: Going to talk about a few different things.
Speaker 2: But if they all tie into each other, don't talk about real estate and we want talk about a gificcation. We want talk about your project, and they're all tie into each other. Right, So you're working on a project.
Speaker 3: Now about the town locally, right, And you.
Speaker 2: Was telling us off camera and some interesting thing because you know, like I said, one of.
Speaker 3: The things about art show is sports and entertainment.
Speaker 2: Sports, right, So if anybody's a sports fan, you know that Oakland a lot of teams are leaving Oakland, right, So the Raiders leaving, the Warriors, this is their last season playing in Oakland and moving to San Francisco. And there's even rumors that at the Oakland a's me leave all right, right, So but you I didn't really think about it until you actually broke it down as far.
Speaker 3: As the play behind that. So can you just talk.
Speaker 2: About that because it's interesting and it also ties into your series.
Speaker 5: We're talking about well, I mean, this is all you know, hearsay, but facts sounds like facts, then it's more than like the facts. San Francisco is the most expensive place to live in America because of the tech world. It's literally bombing and San Francisco is pull up like there's no more space. They can't build any more skyts, papers, they can't, they can't put people in the old ships.
Speaker 3: People are gonna.
Speaker 5: Start like camping on the bridge and the next place over is Oakland. Now everybody's all caught up into the whole of what's happening, but they're not listening to the real reasoning of why, Like all of a sudden, the Raiders had a great season before car got hurt.
Speaker 3: Why would you do that? The Warriors have never been as good as.
Speaker 5: They are ever ever, So right, we'll talk about that. So now you've got the Raiders going to Vegas, You've got the Gold the State Warriors going to San Francisco.
Speaker 3: What happens to a community? What happens to a community that thrives on their sports team.
Speaker 5: We're not talking about people like our team. Raiders suck, but they still believe something.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think they are.
Speaker 4: A fandom, like they have one of the humans vanities, the black that something happened in the black hole.
Speaker 3: You you you know, you know about it.
Speaker 4: I was telling you before, Like my Dans from King Sinavaga pair of teams on the Rats still to this day like and I'm just like, what's the core lazy?
Speaker 3: He's just like he loved the ruggedness, he loved the running. He's from the John Madden coaching EA, exactly know. He just loved the runningness of the rate that black and Silver. Absolutely so I in in in doing the.
Speaker 5: Series that I was trying to produce and trying to produce. Now I went to Oakland and I just I literally just wanted everybody and I was just like, hey, how can.
Speaker 3: You help me? What can be done? What are we doing? And then the story.
Speaker 5: Start to write itself, like everybody wanted to help. And I found out that they were giving cash for keys.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what do you do? Like, I was like, what does that even mean?
Speaker 5: What's happened now is is that the property values have went up, you know, tremendously, so now that these people are living in these homes, they can't afford the property tax. You see what I'm saying. And on top of that, businesses and things are being shut down. Somebody who was cool working at that Walmart. Walmart's not anymore now. All these businesses and things that have to be shut down because the tech world, which is fine, but the culture is getting to.
Speaker 3: Be away, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: That's just like if you go take go to Philly and take Sylvester Saloon joint them, or you take the Bell if you go to these places that are monumental. Oapland is the where the Black Panthers started, you know, what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: We got a swag about it. It's something about Oakland. I don't know. I'm not saying it because I'm from there. It's the truth, you know. It's almost like a forgotten city in a sense, because it's like.
Speaker 4: We hear New York, we hear Miamila, Atlanta, nobody exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: And what's happening now is is that we didn't see the beauty in it until it was too late. Cities like that, cities like ours, we did not understand what it was because we got a beautiful transit system. You go to the bay, you can do you dock your boats, you go up the hill, you could ride your horses, like all these things.
Speaker 3: Cities don't have that. You go to some cities and they barely got a bank, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: But we got all the stuff that people would need to thrive. And we were just you know, nobody didn't we as kids or as the adults.
Speaker 3: We were just living.
Speaker 5: But now these people got a hold of it and they're like, Wow, what's the best way to get them out so we can move in? All right, Let's give them some money first, So cash your keys. You can't you're barely making ends meet. The schools are being shut down, so then they people got to like bust their kids out. Schools are literally being shut down for whatever reasons, whether it doesn't meat cold or their kids aren't hitting.
Speaker 3: The numbers to shut them down.
Speaker 5: They're like, well, this school isn't producing right, so now you piling kids into one school?
Speaker 3: Are you sending them off? So we say, hey, listen, we'll give you. I'm just throwing numbers one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: They're thinking, hell, I can move to Tracy or stopped him, tack him in on and be good. That's a down payment and whatever, because I can't afford to live here, so instead of holding on And that's what you know. That's one of the character of Chants in the series. That's where his heart breaks because here he is he has to leave Oakland and Miltil why because of this whole thing.
Speaker 3: But he ends up in Miami and he starts to do real estate and.
Speaker 5: He's like winning at real estate, like winning, but here he is thriving over here, but not looking back at the city that made him.
Speaker 3: So what happens is his younger.
Speaker 5: Sister calls him and it's a big thing happening where he's like, you gotta come back, you have to come back.
Speaker 3: When he comes back, he's.
Speaker 5: Thinking he's dealing with one thing, but his sister is sick, the families falling apart, the city's falling apart, they're closing his high school. And then the reason he left in the first place, staying in righting space.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. So all these things start.
Speaker 5: To happen and you realize that, like, hey, Oakland is just like everywhere else, except this is a place that we should have put up a little bit more.
Speaker 3: One of our hans, like, come on, look at the people that's coming out of there. You know what I mean. It is we didn't just pop up.
Speaker 5: But when you get told that you're ugly or wrong for so long, you start to believe it. Like I love the black hole, But when you think about it, it comes from a place of if you don't give it to me, I'll take it, And I dare you say something?
Speaker 3: Read right, I don't care if I lost or not. I bet y'all will be as outside. That's our roll.
Speaker 5: So it's good it comes from we. You know, they say the diamond's made from pressure, you know. So it's like, I feel like we're all diners, but not of some some people just didn't have that pressure to make them what they are. And now that we see that we can be people are standing up and open. People are like, yo, whoever can each one teach one? And now that's I was like, you know what, I'm gonna do something and I'm gonna put my blessed and tears into it.
Speaker 3: I got to give back to the city that gave to me.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting you said that too, because so, like I remember Jim Jones right had said a while ago in that Hall of anybody's familiar with Hall of Them, some of the open. As far as the history, everybody knows the history of hallm like that's black and.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yeah, I mean that's you know, that's Blakes and h all of that. It's a history. W and if you if so, Hallam has had a very rich history.
Speaker 2: And then the eighties when the crack academic hit, Hallam was just rashed, torn part right, torn apart, terrible in the alpha go to Hall of Them.
Speaker 3: It's it's different. It's different.
Speaker 2: You see people with the Yorkis and they don't look like us, Like a lot of people don't look like us.
Speaker 3: So with I hurt him. He was on the radio.
Speaker 2: He was saying that, you know when a lot of the hustlers and guys that was really getting money, and he was like, you know, back in the duge, you could have wanted building at all of them for like.
Speaker 3: A dollar and he was given. They was giving properties away, but.
Speaker 2: They wasn't ignoring it, like that they were buying champagne clubs and all that. He was like, looking back on it now, he and his friends and in other people that he was around that.
Speaker 3: He saw that was on a higher level than him.
Speaker 2: They could have really brought blocks like brownstones are hall I'm going for two million, four point.
Speaker 3: Five million right now, right so it's like.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you want a whole block back then, how much it's worth now?
Speaker 3: So the same thing. That's why you know, bring what you're doing now, because it's like at some.
Speaker 2: Point we have to learn, right. We saw it happening in DC. We saw it happened in Brooklyn, We saw it happened at Hallam. We see what's going on in a LA every year. It happening all over the country. Right, So it's like, okay, how do we be proactive instead of being reactive because it's one thing that's like, okay, look it happened. This is bad, Like I'm pushed out of my neighborhood. And that's one of the things with Nipsey Hustle. That's why we had to go to the The America Store because it's like, that's what.
Speaker 3: He was doing, Like you know what I'm saying. It was yeah, he was just buying back.
Speaker 2: He was buying his neighborhood, providing job, providing opportunities. So it's like when you see all these sports teams lead and you know, and now the town is going down and that's bringing down the value and that people are coming in, like you said, giving cash, and then it's all it's all a bigger play, right.
Speaker 3: The thing that has to happen.
Speaker 5: What I feel like is deal, we have to get this ship off our shoulder. And it's not our fault because we were born and raised with nothing.
Speaker 3: I feel like, so.
Speaker 5: Whenever we get a chance to shine, we do it. And the only way sometimes to shine is to outshine another person. That's how we were raised, you know what I mean. My mom's like, don't don't let nobody do this to you, or somebody hit you, you hit them back, like this whole thing. But it came from a place of like desperation. So now that we know that we're not desperate right now, because we are doing amazingly as a as a community, as a culture, or whatever, we got to get to chip off our shoulder because if we bind together, if we bind together and stop saying like, hey, I'm the king, that don't mean both of y'all.
Speaker 3: Can you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: If we do that, people stop because you start to feel like you're not worth because of the people around you. But if that person was like, you know what, I got a little bit, here you go, Here you go too. Now we don't have to give away our homes for this casual keys, because guess what if you can hold onto this house for a year. Listen, what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna loan you this fifty. I'm a loan you this fifty. We're gonna redo it, which is gonna bring up the equity. But I want to hunt it back because now you're gonna have eight hundred thousand dollars because it's at its value now, But we don't do that. Nobody nobody's talking to people and the community's not binding together like like Jewish people or even Mexicans, like the Mexicans doing they things like I still to this day see them grinding work together together, know what I mean. And it's just one of those things that we just have to You know, I'm in too, and I'm I'm trying to be better than every day. It's an uphill battle, but it's hard to unlearn things that you've learned your whole life, even when it comes to women, even becomes to women, like you know, you you learn how to be swagged out, you learn how to do it.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't touch me.
Speaker 5: That's how my cousins raised me, like how to dress, keep your head cut, all these things, But did they really teach you how to appreciate the right woman or to talk to do whatever?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And that all is it's all in the same culture. That's why we the fastest whatever, because that's what we do. I bet you can't beat me.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 5: So now you're out there running artists. That's how we're raisable. But we need to change is now put us in finances, so then we know credit is king. Credit is king, because if we got we are me and three of my own boys got good credit, we're good. You know credit is king. Then you take that one step further. Okay, how do we take that money and apply it to something? But let's not just apply to something where.
Speaker 3: We got to be at every day.
Speaker 5: I don't want to have to just because I stopped working, My money should not stop working for me. So now I gotta if I want to go on a vacation, my money stopped. And that's what folks start winning sleep. So the ship they got residual income. That money is making money. Well to see, but I don't care if it's a laundry mat, I don't care. If it's vending machines, I don't care. If you want to get an extra five hundred dollars a month, you break that down twelve times.
Speaker 3: Fot you all right?
Speaker 2: Gordon Geko one of the most legendary characters in movie history. As one of the most legendary lines in movie history, he says money never sleeps there that familiar that's ball Street and Gordon getto is the start. If you haven't watched Ball Street. You doing yourself get service? Yes, but it got such a short line. But it's if you really think. He's like, money never sleeps. If you really understand money, then you understand it never sleeps.
Speaker 3: Like that's the key you have to make.
Speaker 2: I remember Warren Buffet said something that he said, if you can't find out how to make money.
Speaker 3: While you're sleep, you're gonna work t your dot. And that's fact. That's a fact. And that's a fact man, And that's in that's and that's where we I feel like they don't teach you.
Speaker 5: They don't teach anybody that because it wasn't just black people at my schools, white negs against everybody else. But that was the achilles hell. Like I just start caring about credit five years ago. I was like, well, shit that it's messed up already. I don't care about y'all, you know what I mean. But that's just not the way to go. And once you start understanding that you don't need a bunch of money to do the little things, you know what I'm saying, Just just the little things, and then get a good group of guys around you, like, stop stop being selfish, stop being like this, me, me, me, because you'll never get ahead like that just one person, Like two brains is better than one, three billions is better than two.
Speaker 3: And you get a good group of distinguished gentlemen.
Speaker 5: Oh it's a rap because these you can help my vision in so many ways that I don't know. And then from that the finances get better. When finances get better, you start living good. When you start living good, you start being good to other people. Because I can't give you a bottle half. I just can't.
Speaker 3: Like for me, other people probably can, but for me, if it's.
Speaker 5: Like if I'm starving, I feel like I can't help you. So I need to make sure that I'm doing my part to better myself because if I'm eating, then you're eating.
Speaker 3: But everybody has to be on that same wavelength, you know what I'm saying. That's all like when y'all said y'all doing what y'all was doing, I was like, I'm wanting.
Speaker 5: I'm wanting, like whatever I can do to help, because now I'm seeing you know, your jay z, your meat meals, and everybody's like on this way.
Speaker 3: And I don't be on waves, but if I'm gonna be on any way, that I'm gonna jump on.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be the one that's the movement is happening right now because I see all this stuff that's happening and housing that everybody know about, all these other people that they have alocasts and all this things, and they are putting that force and this happened to these people and it was wrong. We was enslaved for how long? And everybody still know and it's just okay, everybody knows about it. Everybody knows the struggle, but people aren't standing up this because we don't stand up for ourselves.
Speaker 3: Eighty percent of the NBA and NFL is like black. That's what happened. The entertainers come.
Speaker 5: On, man, They're like, I don't know the numbers per se, but I know every time I turn around, everybody is following.
Speaker 3: The trends and the trends as you know what I mean. So I think that once we wants to tie turning, and it's not about.
Speaker 5: I don't want to make it a black, white or whatever thing. It's just about I don't want my son or my daughter or whoever else to grow up and have to feel the way I felt when I watched Black panther, you should have black is beautiful, or Mexican is beautiful, or whatever is beautiful, just because it's beautiful, damn the color. Believe in what you believe in, Like we we got a Baptist. We don't know our history. Everybody else to go back, you know, you see everybody else they got they say, still there. And that's where I feel like finance starts at that because once we start saying, hey, this is how.
Speaker 3: You when you got money. Money.
Speaker 5: Money rules the world, and don't think it's a bad thing, but it allows you to do what seemore. So instead of people want to get rims, work to get rims over summer, now they're like, yo, I want to go sailing. Well, how because my daddy to sail or whatever. That's what people get over because the money allows the seymore and you see more on your brain expends.
Speaker 3: If your brain expand, actually the base that's like a real life expo. You don't get out, you don't get out of you don't get out of that. When you don't get out of that.
Speaker 2: City, you think you're doing it, you think you doing They also come down to self esteem too, because it's like, okay, if you really think about it.
Speaker 3: You buying all these things is really for insecurity.
Speaker 2: That's what you don't feel great about yourself, So you have to buy the rains on your car and all that.
Speaker 3: No shames anybody do that. But if you.
Speaker 2: Really are secure, you don't need to buy that, right You rather buy a home.
Speaker 3: You got to buy investment, set your kids up.
Speaker 2: I see some of the richest people in New York and they driving Nissans like you wouldn't know they have money because that's not their own right. And that's something that I think we as a culture, we still have to get over that because we, like you said, we've never had anything right.
Speaker 3: So now it's like when it's when we get anything, we have.
Speaker 5: To so we have everything, and we have to have a sense of valid and if I'm going to do it, if you all want to do those things, don't work for those things. Have that revenue that I was talking about, make you the money, don't don't sit around and bust your ass, and you got you got to know yourself worth like you just got to. I just knew and I got played many times. Like I used to be a what's it calling it?
Speaker 3: What's it called? That when people you are.
Speaker 5: It was for a tequila company where you just want to ambassador, ambassador bro ambassador, I hatter beet a owner. You know what I'm saying, Like I'm selling this tequila like it's mine. I opened up over three hundred counts from open and said, San Diego, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I set up. I set up.
Speaker 5: I set up the events where the guy sold his company to the dude for over three hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: I set up the event.
Speaker 5: But guess what I got that same two thousand dollars that he told me I WoT.
Speaker 3: Get upset up the thing. You gotta know your work, and you know your work.
Speaker 5: Get him mentor get him mentor right now if you want, if you want my best advice, get a mentor. Beg for a mentor. Get a mentor now. Not your mom, not your daddy, not your cousins. I don't care how smart they are.
Speaker 3: Get a mentor outside of your group, cause I'm telling.
Speaker 5: You a mentor is like you being blind and they that damn walking stick. They're not there to help you walk. They're just trying to guide you a little bit more telling you get them INNTO.
Speaker 3: That's what that'd be. That's a mental That's part of what we actually do in New York.
Speaker 4: Like we have a mentorship program where we take kids who have aspirations to be an actor or be an attorney or be a doctor, and we put them in those fields and they get to intern for six weeks to see what it's like.
Speaker 3: They get to pick the brain figure out if his career. Like you were sality, somebody wanted to work. This kid didn't even want to work in finance.
Speaker 4: But I saw them selling the waters every day outside of shopping center for a dollar, every single day, making thirty dollars going back to the store buying in for cheap selling them. And I was like, what do you want to You wanted to play in the NBA.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, nah, you have a natural instinct. You're a hustle. Like I can see it.
Speaker 4: First thing I did, I'll say, you shot, I got this kid I need to work with because I know he's working in finance.
Speaker 3: This kid has a hustle. He just has to direct way. Right. So that's the let said, because that's ask what we do. Yep, that's for me, that's big.
Speaker 5: That's big because when my acting career really started taking off, I met the right coach. Like I was taught the wrong way. So me and him, but it ends for so long because I had learned the wrong way for so long that when he was trying to teach me the right way, I'm arguing with him. You know what I mean, I'm already I'm from Oakland, like Nigga. I just spent Nigga, I spent five thousand dollars on these classes. You can't tell me that that's wrong, but it was, you know what I mean? And then I met him and he just changed my whole perception. I couldn't get to emotion because they used to tell me like, hey, did your did your dog die?
Speaker 3: Or did your girlfriend rek up with you?
Speaker 5: So I'm in this scene thinking about my dead dog when I should really just connect with the character. You see what I'm saying. And it was it was it was stuff like that, I smell here all day, but that that happens, and it has happened to.
Speaker 3: Me throughout my life, where I feel.
Speaker 5: Like people will assume just because I'm always smiling, I'm always happy, because you ain't gonna never ever under dodge green Earth.
Speaker 3: See me just taking an l like that. I'm a born fighter. You know. My mom had been sixteen.
Speaker 5: My dad came from a fan. Everything was broken. But if they can do it together, what excuse do I have? I got two eyes, all my body parts work like. Come on, man, The people out here that cannot do what I can do, not because I'm better than just because they physically can't. Once you start appreciating shit like that, it just changes. It just changes the way you're thinking. It's not an easy thing to do. You gotta work at it, but.
Speaker 3: You gotta know. You just gotta I don't know how, but you just gotta know. Because people just been.
Speaker 5: Winning for way too long just because it's been given to them, and we don't have that kind of opportunity just to be giving that old money, that old money that Johnson and Johnson, Johnson and Johnson been around. But ever you know these stone companies, You see that little toilet you see to say it's colder, All these things that you take for absolutely rented.
Speaker 3: That is old old money, this whatever.
Speaker 2: And that's one of the things that you said with kids, that we don't have mentors a lot of times, so we make a lot of mistakes because we just figured it out as we go, Like we just walked through my field with no map, so it's like we might get blown up here.
Speaker 3: We don't have no tactical skills. You walking through, you're you're you're destined to get your neck. It's survivable. Yeah, And it's like if somebody could have.
Speaker 4: Just told us these things, and that's it takes a lot of It takes a lot of like some questioning, and you got.
Speaker 3: To check their ego, like, you know, I don't know his help me. You don't say to be humble.
Speaker 5: You have to be humble because if you don't, it's a rap. People are not going people are not going to want to help you. And I feel like for a long time maybe I was that guy like I use my energy for bad, you know, like because it is it's an energy. And I'm okay with saying the first I was embarrassing. I don't want to say this or that, but I'm commonly saying my energy is my superpower.
Speaker 3: I spit on you even don't worry, but.
Speaker 5: No, but I'm saying that is my superpower. And once you figure out what your superpower is, let that Shane. Let it be out there. Put it out to the world. Man, open your chest out. Let people know that it's okay to love, it's okay to hurt. All this stiff is okay for man. But when you're coming up, you're scared. You put that hand out that they won't put it back out, and now that they didn't, you're embarrassing. So I gotta jab you all. We gotta when it's not it's okay. If he said no, what she's saying no, Now I gotta try another thing. But we don't learn that it's embarrassing to be shut down.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I've been shut down for fifteen years, So now I could honestly say I'm winning. You know, I got property, I got a great job, my career is flourishing.
Speaker 3: I feel good in my heart.
Speaker 5: I know what I want to do, I know the people I want to do it with, and I'm okay with assets.
Speaker 3: But help. Every time I talk to old people, every chance I get.
Speaker 2: Every day, I want to ask something bombed the last thing before we wrap up because.
Speaker 3: We didn't really fully go into it.
Speaker 2: But they say that average mayor has seven streams of income, right and being in Hollyware.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really tough. As far as you might have a gig, you might not have a gig for eighteen months.
Speaker 2: Your series might get picked up, but then it might get dropped.
Speaker 3: So it's important we try to achieve entrepreneurship.
Speaker 2: So can you just talk about how that has helped you as far as your your multiple streams of income, couse your reality.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have a couple of different things going on right and absolutely.
Speaker 5: The thing but the thing I believe that you have to do is is, no matter what, find what you're good.
Speaker 3: At and see if you can turn that into a monetary thing. You know what I mean. Find what you're good at. It may not be.
Speaker 5: Directly directly in the lane that you want to be in, but I'm telling you now what the Internet and how things are going, there are people if you are and you gotta you do. Got to know if you are professionalized this because so many people live in this fantasy world and they're robbing people like you don't know what you're doing. Find something that you love doing and you can actually monetize that, you know what I mean? Because people like if you love cooking, you can start doing mial press for people.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: If you love reading, hey, maybe you can start doing readings for people out of play or put the kids.
Speaker 3: Find something that you.
Speaker 5: Love doing, because it'll turn over into something else because while you're reading those books to kids, you could.
Speaker 3: Actually record it. Need out your own audio books. If you tell.
Speaker 5: Stories like there's just things that whatever you're good at, there's something out there, there's a need because there's a group of people that aren't motivated the way we.
Speaker 3: Are, just because what they don't see what we see.
Speaker 5: I get to see these cars, I get to see this good but I get to see everything that I think I can attain with somebody in maybe Louisiana or Kentucky doesn't have the same motivation because they just don't see it. So now, with all these ways of making money, I believe if you are professionally on something, find a way to do that. Secondly, you gotta own something like I don't care how you do it or what it is. You got to own it because the name of the game is to have somebody owe you. If you owe me, I'll never be broke, you know what I mean? And those is the way it goes like, you gotta find out how to do it. You got to figure out how to make it where somebody has to pay me, has to pay me.
Speaker 3: That's what. That's what. That's what the condo does. Those people have to pay me. They have to pay me.
Speaker 5: And I don't have to go over to that house. I don't got to do nothing. You signed that contract. I got all my information. That money comes to me no matter what, every month, you know what I mean. Then secondly, find that resist your income. You gotta find something which will come with a mentor. But like when I was just starting out, I didn't own the I didn't own the vendor machines, but he made he gave me like thirty percent of them, and he was like, just I need you help, you know, stack them up, put the stuff in there or whatnot. That was a residual income for me because my time was my own. You see what I'm saying. When you've gotta be at a job at a certain time and you gotta do this, that's when things get sticky. Or if you can control your own time, that's what's dope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could control my own time. So he was like, as long as it's full. I don't care. So I could go at five in the morning or I.
Speaker 5: Go to night before. However I wanted to do it, I could do it. And then that was a residual income that will come to me no matter what. And then, last, but not least, study the craft. Man, study the craft because it's too many. It's too many shooters out here. Like it's like I'm telling you this, I mean they're out here, like it's people out here.
Speaker 3: It's people out here just bleeding it. They're bleeding.
Speaker 5: I don't care if you're talking about football, basketball, acting, being a doctor, I don't care. Because it's becoming very hard to live in America. It's getting expensive, period. So if you're trying to win the right way, you gotta be a bet. You got to be amongst the best. You gotta be the best. So if you're not in the industry to be the best or to achieve at your highest goal, you might as well just be it because it's not gonna work. It's just not gonna work with every unless you're lucky. But then look at what I got.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 5: I remember back in the day where I was like looking all these people. I was telling one of my homeboys, because he's not under me, but he's you know, looking up to me now. And I was like the best place to be at for a while I was on the bench. He's like, what, I don't want to send them the bench. I said no, because while I was sitting on the bench, I saw all of the sticks everybody else made watching. I saw him go up, I saw him come down. I see him stay right in the middle. I said, they just give up all together. He should have did this, one did that. I saw everything. Now I'm coach with me, and you got no excuse. You got no excuse because the worst thing ever to be put in the game and you ain't ready.
Speaker 3: That's power for me.
Speaker 2: We want we want to thank you for coming on appreciate in short notice too. And that's when that's what we always say, you know, it's it's just encouraging to see people going out of that way to give up the game.
Speaker 3: That's kind of been the formula of our show. We break people on and then they're giving up information. This this is a true story.
Speaker 2: Like even when you said you have to go, I think you're working costcos and like you know that this is real.
Speaker 3: This is real life.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna paint a picture for you of everything is beauty and roses.
Speaker 3: It doesn't work like that.
Speaker 2: You gotta stay down till you come up, and even when you do come up, you might have to take a step back right a minus setback for it makes you comeback. So this is this is when we put top my entrepreneurship investing business. We're gonna tell you the real I let you go on YouTube a lot of these things.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is how.
Speaker 2: You make a million dollars or one month without doing any words with working like Nah, it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You gotta put the work in. So thank you for coming to closing. Before we close with just two things. Too much.
Speaker 5: As I live by the great, all become greater if they here to be the greatest. And if you always do what you've done, you'll always get what you got. That's that's that's how I wrong. Because I know I'm great, that's cool. But if you want to be greater, you gotta dare to be the greatest.
Speaker 3: Because if you be the greatest, I mean, that's that's long.
Speaker 5: But if you dare to try, you'll be greater for sure. And if you always do what you've done, you always gonna get what you got. You stay in your language, you got to go a little faster a little bit.
Speaker 2: Can you tell the people how to reach you on social media if you're on any project that you.
Speaker 3: Got, finding that you got coming out, like you know what I mean, if you if you just want to stay in contact.
Speaker 5: Through uh you know with my work, IMDb, the Internet Movie Database, just Romeo Brown on Instagram on Romeo Brown with an underscore.
Speaker 3: Don't be uh shocked by my Twitter followers. Like I told you, I was a little shot with that because social.
Speaker 5: Media for me was a little bit more to to public for me, you know what I mean. I'm a great intimate person and like I said, as a man, I'm still.
Speaker 3: Try to trying to be okay with struggling, like I.
Speaker 5: Just now start winning. So when you think are se are assumed that people are winning. As a man, it's really hard to say that, you know, I'm not being where I want to be in life, or to say, you know what, I cry and I didn't get this job, or you know what, that girl hurt me, or I really wanted this and it's hard to do those things when you you're not comfortable in your own skin. But now I am, so you know, I'm ready to open up those avenues because when you see me, you're gonna get it all like because I'm not always winning, but I'm gonna smile through the pain.
Speaker 4: So that's that's I just want to thank you a game of being vulnerable and being transparent with everything because we don't see that right Like you said, we went to it to be tough and with tols like quite bad because like yeah, as a man with growth, maturity.
Speaker 3: Comes over head, it becomes honesty.
Speaker 4: And one of the things that you said is like looking back, so like we do get ahead and we get to certain places with the kids to look bad because there is somebody that we can grab a hand.
Speaker 3: And take longer journey with us. That's important too. Yeah. Man, I'm happy. Man, I'm happy that even.
Speaker 5: Like I hope this gets album, somebody is it to push them forward because life it's a very versus thing man, And you know tomorrow's I promised. So if you can Lenjit hit somebody else, it's like like a not a marathon, it's like a reheater race, you know, as well as you're just hand it off, handed off, And if if I'm not the one to get where I want to get, I gotta give it to another kid that because it took me all this long to get this way because nobody handed me anything like I put my head so many times.
Speaker 3: My head should be like this. But if I can make it with this other kid.
Speaker 5: Can and he get to where I thought I could, then I still got to feel hold in my heart and know why I didn't. So now I'm just about trying to pass that information and if there's anything I can do to help reach out.
Speaker 3: If I don't get right back to you, I will try. But that's what it's about, man, because we can't focus on us right here right now.
Speaker 5: We gotta be like that mind frame of like our kids are our kids kids.
Speaker 4: Because that's where it's at right now. For your last name, we said it with pop right Paton, Yeah yeah, so Patreon again. It is a way to support the podcast so that we can do more things like this. We can we can travel and spread the word and get the word and get gained from people in different places.
Speaker 3: So shout out to your home and shout out to our follows. We're getting some new followers.
Speaker 4: Uh, Savannah, U T Cody who's been with us, Terry who's actually out he's from Oakland.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, y Terry, and Brandon who's our new members. So shout out to him.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, we've been having video chats with him and giving them some game and having more indirect uh conversations with them to help them. And they they're Trump pursuits, So shout out to them and continue supporting Patreon against that product they pay program.
Speaker 3: So the more you support, the more we can do. Yeah, everything that we said we're gonna do so far we've done.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that we said what he's going to do is come to different cities, right and highlight people in the cities that's doing their thing.
Speaker 3: And this is a perfect example of that.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It's so like I said, I always say, we're gonna give you the information for free, but if you would like to financially support the podcast, Patreon is and the avenue to do that.
Speaker 3: And also our merch our merchan is doing well.
Speaker 2: And once again, we make statements with the clothes that we wear, so it's important to be mindful of what we wear. So you know, we have shirts like Austen for your last name, Assets over Liability, so the merch can be on It can be found on our website, which is early leasha dot com.
Speaker 3: And before we leave, I have a book tip and that I always give.
Speaker 2: So Multiple streams of Income was one of the first books that I've read in finance.
Speaker 3: I think I was like eighteen nineteen years old.
Speaker 2: I forget the author's name, but if you google Multiple streams of Income, it will come up and it's a very good book. We talk about muti streams of income during this interview, and that's one thing that I encourage people. You cannot survive off of just one job.
Speaker 3: Even if you're an entrepreneur.
Speaker 2: You can't just rely on because anything can happened, your business can fall, but you have to have other avenues to pull on. So I strongly encourage anybody, everybody to check out that book.
Speaker 5: And also audio books are big, like we gotta stop, you gotta stop it all, like you gotta you gotta go, you gotta stop all this noise is going into your head. If you listen into music at home, do you listen to music at the gym? Do you listen to music in the car, you're not ever feeding your brain. Like these audiobooks have changed my life in the car, I don't listen to nothing else but audio books because they're feeding my brain constantly, constantly, constantly, because this music, Man, you gotta be careful your brain is. Your brain is just this this machine. It's picking up even when you're not. So you've got to start finding ways for it to learn when you're not trying to learn. And audio books is one of the main ways that I've done that. So that's telling this auto audiobooks. Anything you think about you want to know, grab yourself an audiobook and put it in that that that dead space.
Speaker 3: Now see what happens.
Speaker 2: That's a fact Episode fourteen you How to Teach You Valencia owner she let the cat out the bag a book tip, but I don't actually read. Why actually get feed the book that I just told you. But almost ninety percent of everything that I consume right now is audio. So audio book I'm a huge I was on audio book and it was seas I got so I've been I've been. But you know, whatever, you know, how else you can learn audio podcast? Your podcast is on Apple. We're all Spotify were on audio YouTube also but audio as well, So yes, when you're working out, when you're driving, everybody's in your car.
Speaker 3: Check it out, check it out, check it out. So yes, once again, thank you guys for rocking with us, and we'll see you next week please,