Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Sign Stuff, a production of iHeartRadio. I'm horhitch Ham, and today we're asking why do we have five fingers and toes each hand or foot? Why not three or four or six or seventeen? Who decided we would have five digits in each hand? Now it turns out there is a culprit which we'll get to at the end. And to get there, we'll be talking to two finger evolution experts who say there are three things that explain the number of fingers in your hands, so to recap count starting with your thumb will answer one question. Talking to two experts learning three key facts, all under fourty minutes, and the question is why do we have five fingers? Enjoy? Hey everyone, Okay, here are some interesting facts. Dogs and cats have five toes on the front legs, but only four toes in each of their back legs. Birds have three fingers on their wings and four toes on their feet, Horses have one finger on each leg, and cows and camels have two toes per leg. The number of toes can even vary in the same type of animal. Some salamanders have four front toes and five back toes, and some have four toes all around. Clearly there's a big variation in the number of fingers and toes in the animal kingdom. But here's the weird thing. There are no species of animals with six or more fingers or toes on their limbs. Why is that it's five? Somehow the maximum? What determines how many fingers each animal has? And why do we have five fingers and toes? To figure this out, I talk to two evolutionary biologists who specialize in finger evolution. The first one is Jacob Scott, a researcher at the University of Florida. Well, thank you so much, Jacob for joining us.
Speaker 2: You are welcome, glad to be here.
Speaker 1: So my first question for you is how many fingers am I holding up?
Speaker 2: Five?
Speaker 1: Good? Although you can't see my other hands, it was kind of a trick question.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: Well, to get us started, I was wondering if you could tell us where did fingers and toes come from?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so all vertebrates with limbs that live on land, they ultimately evolved from something much more fish like or a fish itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a quick refresher here about evolution. All vertebrates with limbs meaning all animals with bones and arms and legs, which include all mammals like us, dogs and horses, and awesome birds, reptiles, and amphibians all came from a common ancestor which evolved from fish and which had fingers on its feet. But here's the shocker. That animal probably had more than five fingers on each limb.
Speaker 2: They didn't have five fingers, they had somewhere between six and eight. We've got fossil showing some of these like sort of fish like tetrapods with six digits on their limbs, with seven digits on their limbs, and with eight, so we think it was more than five.
Speaker 1: Originally what we used to have more than five fingers. Yes, that's right, our long ago ancestor and the ancestor of all mammals, reptiles, birds, amphibians, et cetera, had potentially up to eight fingers on each limb. Okay, let's back up a little bit. I asked Jacob to lay out the history of all land animals starting with this common ancestor.
Speaker 2: It was a very just an ancestor that looks, you know, a lot more like a fish salamander type creature, and they evolved in these tide pools or swamps just otherwise shallow water where they kind of have the opportunity to be embracing that fish side of it, but then occasionally maybe would push up out of the water or move between different tide pools. So the first land animals were fishes that started adapting to living on dry land. They started to develop lungs, their chests and hip bones started to shift so they could push themselves out of the water and kind of waddle around, and that's when fingers or digits came into the picture. The conventional thinking right now is that digits helped kind of in that transition moving from water to land or transitioning between different shallow water areas.
Speaker 1: So fingers kind of came from fins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ultimately, ultimately it came from fins.
Speaker 1: That's a short answer, right, Okay, here, it's worth taking a little dive into fins. Almost all fish that are alive today have what are called ray fins, like a bunch of spikes coming out of the fish's body with webbing between them, sort of like those traditional folding fans that come from Asia. But those are not the fins. Our arms and legs and Brut's wings come from about four hundred million years ago. There were other species of fish with what are called lobe fins, and these look more like paddles or stubby little tails on the side of the fish's body. They extended out with little armlike bony segments, and they ended on a group of bones which fanned out to form fins. And they just happened to have four of those fins, and those are where our arms and legs come from. Eventually, those low fin fish started to wattle out of the water and they used those paddle like fins to push themselves around. Then there's a little bit of a gap in the fossil record, but about three hundred and sixty million years ago you start to see animals like a Cantostega gunari, which looked like a cross between a salamander and the fish, or Idiostega, which looked like a cross between a crocodile and the fish. But here's the thing. Fossils of Acantostega and Ikiostega show they had more than five fingers on their limbs. Idiostega had seven toes in its back leg, and a Cantostega had eight fingers in its front legs, So it's very likely that our ancestors had a lot more than five fingers. I mean, imagine if we still had eight fingers on each of our hands. It might look weird, but think about how much faster we could type, or what kind of masterpieces we could play on the piano. Our numbering system would be different. Instead of base ten, which is based on how many fingers we have right now, we would all be using Hexa decimal numbers, which begs the question what happened. Well, according to our expert, what happened was digit loss. That is, during evolution, you can lose fingers, and actually it happens a lot.
Speaker 2: It's actually really common to evolve digit loss, especially in mammals. Well, I think the king of reducing your digits is the horse. Horses have functionally just one digit on each foot. They do have little bones from the palm, but they're fuse to that one major digit. So if you look at a horse leg, it sort of ends in just one digit, which ends in a hoof. So they're basically standing on just their middle finger.
Speaker 1: So whenever a horse rears up, it's giving you the middle finger basically.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's flipping you off. So, actually, horses are a really cool example of this because we have an awesome fossil record all through their digit loss. First they lost their equivalent to their big toe. They lost it on the hind limb first, and then you can see if they would lose the pinky next, and then the pointer finger and the ring finger were slowly just reduced in length until they're basically nothing.
Speaker 1: Now, oh, we can see it in the fossil record. Yeah, yeah, I had no idea. A horse's hoof is basically its last remaining finger. Okay, as tacob to give me more examples of animals losing fingers.
Speaker 2: I'll give you all the examples I can think of. Most salamanders have lost at least one digit. Plenty of reptiles. So modern birds they have three digits on their forelim on their wing. The wing is the whole arm, and then it ends in these three digits, and then four digits on their hind limb. There's a big debate about whether the identities of those digits on the wing are some pointer middle or if they're pointer middle index.
Speaker 1: Wow, fascinating. So they're mixing it up three and four yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So actually the digit loss tends to evolve more or less independently between the forelam and the hind limb, So there's plenty of species that only have digit loss in one of the limbs and not the other. You'll see different numbers in a lot of species, Like what so dogs and cats they've both lost their big toe on the hind limb. So if you go home and look at your dog or your cat, you'll see that they have, you know, full five digits on their front paws, but only four on the back.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, well, I've never thought to count dogs or cats as fingers.
Speaker 2: It's something that I only like really noticed after I started doing this research. I was like, oh, does my dog also have you know, only four digits? And it turns out yeah, he's a dog, so he will whoa. And there's plenty of other examples, like guinea pigs have four on their front legs and only three on the back.
Speaker 1: Are there any animals with two fingers or toes?
Speaker 2: Yes, So that's the group that includes things like cow and bison and giraffes. So all three of those have at least functionally two digits, And that's in comparison to the horses, rhinos, and tape ears, which are odd toe animals, so they'll always have one or three digits.
Speaker 1: It's like two big branches in evolution. Yep, exactly, all right, So it seems like the common ancestor to all animals with fingers started off with six to eight fingers in their limbs. But now there are plenty of animals that have much less than that we have five. Others have evolved to have four, three, two, and even one finger or toe per hand or foot. So my next question was what causes this species to lose a finger or a toe? All right, when we come back, we're gonna put our finger on this mystery, which honestly sticks out like a sore thumb. So stay with us. We'll be right back. And we're back all right. We are counting the number of fingers in our hand and asking why do we have five fingers? Why not four or six? In the last segment, we learned that the ancestor of all four limb vertebrates, that is, the ancestor of mammals us, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, lived about three hundred and sixty million years ago, and fossils show it probably had six to eight fingers or toes on each limb, but we have five fingers and toes on each extremity. So what happened Well, according to our expert scientists think one of the main reasons is locomotion.
Speaker 2: For most animals, that's the primary use of their limbs and their digits is getting around. Usually, the cause of loss tends to be associated with the method of locomotion. So a lot of animals that are really specialized for running will lose digits. So think again, cats, horses, bison, All of these animals that basically hunted, chase for food, or try to get away from predators tend to have reduced digits.
Speaker 1: Generally, why does losing your finger help you run?
Speaker 2: I can't give you a super confident answer on that, but I can give you some associated evidence. One of the thoughts on why horses were able to lose so many digits was because they evolved that trait during an ice age when the ground was more compact. If you're trying to walk around on like marshy, swampy, muddy ground, you kind of want more digits because you can disperse your weight a little bit more evenly and not sink right, right, But when the ground is harder, you can kind of just slam your whole weight down on one point really efficiently without the ground breaking around you.
Speaker 1: It's sort of like, I guess if you're walking on snow, it's better to have a snowshoe.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, that's exactly right.
Speaker 1: But if you're running on a track like at the Olympics, you don't want to be wearing snowshoes.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it.
Speaker 1: You almost want sort of like a pogo stick on your feet, right, Yeah, it's kind of what it is. So one reason so many species of lost fingers or toes is low commotion. Animals need to move and run fast, and sometimes having a lot of toes can be a bad thing. If you're trying to go as fast as you can, think having a bunch of toes flapping around when you hit the ground could actually slow you down. I mean, think about why us humans wear shoes to walk and run. It essentially reduces our number of toes to one. And this idea doesn't just apply to feet and toes, It can apply to fingers and hands.
Speaker 2: There's some animals like spider monkeys that they swing from vine to vine. They've lost their thumb because it's more efficient to swing just kind of using your other forge just as a hook, when the thumb would just get in the way there. So that's the current thinking at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are monkeys out there without opposable thumbs. If you look up spider monkeys, their hands don't have thumbs. So there are lots of examples in nature of animal species that have loss fingers or toes. Our ancestors started with six to eight. At some point that became five, and since then some have gone down to four, three, two, and even one finger or toe. This means the history of fingers and toes in animals. It's not that some animals evolved two digits and others four or five from scratch. We all started with eight and progressively lost fingers and toes over millions of years. But there is something odd about this pattern, which is that you rarely see a species evolved to gain a finger or a toe. Now, sometimes an individual animal of a species might be born with an extra finger or toe, but that's not quite the same.
Speaker 2: Like in labs, we can knock out genes and it will cause mice to develop extra digits. We know that there are human congenital diseases where people will be born with extra digits, or there's certain dog breeds that tend to have extra digits, there's certain populations of cats, But in terms of like a whole species, nothing has evolved more digits stably, like a brand new digit with its own identity being formed. It's very, very very uncommon, like to the point where I can't think of a single example offhand.
Speaker 1: Okay, what Jacob is saying is that while you might get a person or an individual animal here and there to grow an extra finger or toe, it usually doesn't stick. Overall. It's extremely rare for a species to gain a finger or toe, and yet, as you heard before, losing a toe or losing multiple toes is extremely common in evolution. What this means is that in nature there are no species of anim animals with more than five fingers or toes. We started with six or eight when fishes first of all to walk on land, and then there spent a gradual decline overall species, our branch of the evolutionary tree of life got down to five fingers or toes, and at least for us stop there. But other species kept losing more digits, and no species alive today hasn't gained any. So this answer is part of the question of why we have five fingers. We don't have six fingers because our ancestors lost that six finger a long time ago, and it's super rare for any animal to gain a digit, so we're left with five. But this brings up two very important questions. Number one, why is finger evolution so biased? Meaning why is it easier to lose a finger during evolution but so hard to gain one? And number two, we need to answer the second half of today's question, which is why do we have five fingers and toes not four or three? I mean, when's the last time you use your pinky toe for anything? We'll answer both those questions when we come back, so don't twiddle your thumbs. Stay with us, we'll be right back. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: We're asking why we have five fingers, and so far we've learned that the ancestor of all animals with fingers and toes had somewhere between six and eight fingers on each limb, and we learned that basically it's all been downhill from there. The history of the evolution of digits is dominated by animal species losing fingers and toes and almost never gaining them.
Speaker 2: It seems to be a.
Speaker 1: Pretty prevalent rule of thumb unintended. So another question is why is that? Why is it easier to lose a finger than to gain one? And also why haven't we lost more fingers or toes? I mean, it's not like our pinkies or our pinky toes or any toe for that matter, are that essential for survival. Why do we still have them? The point of finger At the answer, I reached out to another finger evolution expert, doctor Friedson Gallis. Well, thank you Tolis for joining us. Can please tell us who you are and what you do.
Speaker 3: I'm an evolutionary biologist and I work at the Naturalist Biodiversity Center in Liden, Than, Netherlands, and I am interested in how body plans can change, what kind of mechanisms make it difficult for evolutionary changes to occur, like why we have two eyes two years and.
Speaker 1: Things like that. Great, I think that makes you the perfect expert for our question here today we're trying to find out why finger evolution is so one directional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, what you see is the losses of digits happen very often, but there are never gains of digits. And I can explain why that is if you want to know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Doctor Gallas says. The secret to understanding why it's easier in evolution to lose a finger than to gain one is to understand how fingers grow in the body, especially when we're just tiny embryos in the womb during what's called development.
Speaker 3: So the number of digits is determined very early during development. You have a very small embryo, and in this embryo, to get development, you need to have interactions between different parts. And because the embryo is so small at the stage, these interactions there are in the very interactive stage, and all parts are in communication with all other parts.
Speaker 1: Okay, what doctor Gals is saying is that during development, when we're just a tiny clump of generic cells multiplying, the way the cells know what to turn into is by talking to each other. There's a complex network of signals between all the cells that basically tell each other you should be where the arm is, and you should be where the brain is going to be, and you should be where the lungs are. And this keeps going until all of the body parts form and the shapeless blob of cells that you were starts to look more like an embryo and eventually like a baby animal. It's all a very complex, coordinated process, and that's when fingers start to get formed.
Speaker 3: So this number of digits is determined, then the number of eyes and the number of little structures are determined. Then, because there are all these many interactions with all the other parts, if you make a change, you get more changes. So maybe what is easy to imagine is the eye development is very early and there are many interactions with their brain. Now, if you get an extra eye or you have one less eye, that has incredible effect on the brain development.
Speaker 1: What doctor Gallas means is that it's such a complex coordination process when all your cells are trying to figure out how to grow into you, that if you mess with one thing, like say an eye, it's going to mess up the process and all the other parts are not going to grow the way they're supposed to grow.
Speaker 3: You get all kinds of monstrosities you have that that are not viable. And then the same happens with digit because the development of digits is connected with also all kinds of other parts of the body. So if you change the number of digits, you get other changes as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this explains why any mutation can be potentially disastrous for any growing embryo. Suddenly growing, say an extra finger, could mess up the complex signaling between the different parts that are growing, and it could cause your lungs, or your spinal column or your head to grow the wrong way. But this limitation applies to both gaining a finger and losing a finger. We still haven't explained why in the evolution of fingers it's way more common to lose fingers than to gain them. Well, according to doctor Gallis, the reason for that is that there's a way to fool your developing embryo.
Speaker 3: There's a way evolutionary way around it. What you get is that you have the earliest development, and this needs to happen because these interactions you need them. So what you have is that you get your digits, then development stoops after this stage, and then it gets destroyed.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the trick is that let's say you're a horse that could run faster if you had fewer toes, or a monkey that could swing easier with fewer fingers. You don't want to not grow your fingers because that would mess up the signaling in your embryo. Instead, you grow all five fingers when you're a young embryo, and once the signaling for that extra finger stops or becomes less important, you stop growing that finger and let it shrivel off. In other words, you sort of fake out your embryo. You fool it into thinking it's going to have all five fingers and toes, but then you drop the ones you don't want, which makes for some interesting surprises when the embryo is growing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and for example, horses during development, they still have five.
Speaker 1: Digits really like a horse embryo has five toes exactly.
Speaker 3: And then what happens and then the development stops and it's broken down.
Speaker 1: Huh and only one finger remains. Yes, And this is why it's easier during evolution to lose a finger than to gain one. It's easier to fool the embryo into thinking it's getting a finger and then later stop growing it. Then it is to fool it into thinking it's not getting an extra finger, and then at the last minute grow a whole finger out of the blue. Okay, so this explains why we don't have six fingers. It's hard to gain a finger as a species once you lose it. Now the question is why don't we have four fingers? If we're under the thumb of this bi towards loosing fingers, how come we haven't lost anymore. I mean, it's not like the pinky toe is that useful, or any of our toes for that matter. And here, as I promise, we have a very specific culprit, one that I've been hinting at throughout the whole episode, and it has to do with the order in which fingers grow when we're embryos. They don't all grow at the same time. They start one after the other, and it turns out that the order in which they start to grow determines which one is most likely to get lost. Here's Jacob Scott again.
Speaker 2: So it tends to be the first digit that gets lost in evolution usually is the last digit to form during development. So in mammals, digit one, so equivalent to the thumb or the big toe, that's the last one to form, and it's usually the first one to be lost.
Speaker 1: This makes sense. Remember I said that to lose a finger, you kind of have to fool the embryo so you don't mess up the coordination between all the different parts. Well, it's easier to do this if you're the last finger to form, because being the last one you sort of fly under the radar. But the time you come around, things are more settled. And in our case, the last digit to form is the thumb.
Speaker 2: I would say in humans, the digit were most likely to evolve the loss of would be our thumb, and we really need our songs.
Speaker 1: I see, I see. It's like, evolutionarily, the thumb would be the first to go, but because it's so useful, it's like, uh, you know, it's not going anywhere, right, Oh, that's fascinating. Even though the pinky is maybe the least useful finger. It's like, way in the back of the line, it's like the thumb is running cover for the pinky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're we're stuck with the pinkies.
Speaker 1: And there you have it. The reason we have five fingers and not four is the thumb. Evolutionarily, the thumb would be the next to go, but it's so useful we can't get rid of it. And because we can't get rid of it, it ends up protecting all the other fingers. In other words, we can't lose the pinky without first losing the thumb, which for us is too useful to lose. And if you go back through the episode, you'll notice I was hinting at this from the start. You can cut the number of times I used the word thumb with your fingers. Okay, I think we answered today's question. Why do we have five fingers? Well, we don't have six or more because once you lose a finger during evolution, it's really hard to get one back. And we don't have four or fewer because our thumbs are too good to lose. So that's our show. I hope you give it a thumbs up. See you next time you've been listening to Science Stuff. Production of iHeartRadio written and produced by me or hitch Hamp credited by Rose Seguda, executive producer Jerry Rowland, and audio engineer and mixer Jasey Peckram, and you can follow me on social media. Just search for PhD Comics and the name of your favorite platform. Be sure to subscribe to Sign Stuff on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts, and please tell your friends. We'll be back next Wednesday with another episode.