Speaker 1: Whenever I'm dressed cool, my parents put up a fight. Ah if I'm hot, shut, mom will come my hair at night.
Speaker 2: The implications of that song that if Gaga was like acted out, her mom would come into her room at night and cut her hair off. She's sheen ami.
Speaker 1: No ma, not name yo yo yo, what is your childhood trauma?
Speaker 3: I am chok.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: Life's going down before.
Speaker 2: Round. Welcome to Lake a Virgin, the show where we give yesterday's pop culture Todays takes armas DomU and I'm friend Toronto, and today we're talking about hair.
Speaker 1: Not to be confus with body or face hair.
Speaker 2: Although although I do think we'll probably talk about both body and facial hair, right right right, yes, so.
Speaker 1: My hair, my body hair.
Speaker 2: Hars an. I think an underrated Gaga song.
Speaker 1: Oh we can say they're gonna be like hair, just as a thing is very underrated.
Speaker 2: I'm like, no, actually, well, attention to hair, but I think even that being true, it's still underrated.
Speaker 1: Right right right. Maybe it's maybe there's a zance.
Speaker 2: Happening with it. I mean, no one, I hate to be a girl who references flea Bag, but there's that part in flea Bag where She hates to be one of those you know what I mean? She says, hair is everything. Hair is like we pretend that it isn't, but it's everything, right.
Speaker 1: The girl that got the horrible haircut, the sister that gets French, French, it's French. Have you ever gotten a horrible haircut?
Speaker 2: The answer is yes, girl, girl? What do you think?
Speaker 1: You and I have both experienced the trans cultural phenomenon of leaving a hair salon, looking at yourself in a reflective surface once and thinking should I kill myself?
Speaker 2: Well? No, okay, So for me, that moment usually comes three to five business days after the haircut. Like when I leave the salon, I'm almost always like, I love it, you know, looks great. This is what I wanted because I think I've made this social contract with the stylist to have that experience.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: And then it's once I like wake up the next day and see myself or wash my hair for the first time and don't have a blowout anymore, or see the color in different light that I'm like I need to go run into oncoming trap. Yes, yes, No.
Speaker 1: For me, it's completely immediate. It's the second I walk outside and like, literally, look at my reflection in the next door window, like it is and I actually, I mean I've obviously I had a lot of suicidal haircuts, but like the most recent one was actually I experienced it kind of with you we're in. I had I had a kind of more of a mullet shape for a very long time, and it was pretty long, and I was like, it's the end of the mullet. I don't want it anymore, but I still want to keep my hair long, So like, what do we do from here? And we did the social contract your hairstylists, you know, good take full rain, like a little creative control. And then I walked out of this haircut looking like motherfucking Lord far Quad and I was like, I am gonna yeah. I was just like I was. I was devastated. But the thing is, she was right. She was right the whole time, and it's something she does a lot of my friends. And what was she right about. She was right about the shape of my hair. She was right about what my hair needed to be, and that this cut was a necessary means to an end. It's the most recent haircut I've gotten. It was like months ago, and it's now created the hair that I have today, which is fabu.
Speaker 2: That is something that does need to be spoken about. Is like, some haircuts are not about an immediate result. Some haircuts are transitional.
Speaker 1: And what Dakota Dakota also goes to the same hairstylist and what she said to me was sometimes gives you the haircut that you need, not the haircut that you want.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would it work for me?
Speaker 1: You're like fundamentally against that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm as No, I'm very open to having a conversation with my stylist. I found like two sides, the two sides of the spectrum don't work for me. I don't like going to a hairstylist where I'm like, this is what I want and they give me exactly that, because I'm not the person who does hair so those decisions should not be left one hundred percent up to I also don't want to go to a hairstylist who tells me what I need and doesn't listen to me.
Speaker 1: With like a hand on the hip, like honey, we need.
Speaker 2: To meet somewhere in the middle. I need to come. Which is this is why I like watching I actually was just watching one before I came here a hair consultation video on TikTok where it's like, let me tell you about kind of the look I'm going for, let me tell you about my hair texture, let me tell you how willing I am to style my hair, and then let me give you some reference images and then we'll figure out together what to create. Because I think, really, if I can give anyone advice, like sure, we all look at pictures of like celebrities or influencers or whatever and are like, I want that copy pasted onto my head. But that which it never works.
Speaker 1: Doesn't work because the image that you're referencing is like the most like wayfish fashion, like unclockable girl, or like well it's like the one of the most their face shape where it's like it just doesn't Their face shape is not your face shape, their complexion is not your complexion, their texture is not your text.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then also it's like, if you're looking at pictures of celebrities, you're looking at pictures of the most beautiful people in the world in the best lighting possible, like literally teams of people creating their image just so even just their face and hair. So I think it's good to look at photos and like figure out what you like about them without being too literal, Like I like this tone in the way it compliments her skin. I like the width of or the length of her bangs. I like, you know, like they're the layers they have in their hair. But not you just can't copy paste anyone else's hair onto.
Speaker 1: Yourself, no, unless you were awake, right unless you are are And even then it's you know, well, okay, you and I are actually weighing some decisions on future hair decisions. But like, before we get to that, I kind of want to dip into the hair of past. Oh baby, worst hair, worst hair face pre transistion, go.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Mine was the silver I have.
Speaker 2: Your silver era is very iconic to me, specifically.
Speaker 1: It looked really good when it was like when it was like short, manicured, like I was kind of giving, like I had the kind of like fied eye bro fade, Like if I was white, it would have been like the neo Nazi kind of fade, but I'm not, so it didn't give them.
Speaker 2: The pictures are incredible and virgins. I definitely recommend you go really far back.
Speaker 1: Yeah I've actually archived.
Speaker 2: Okay, well I will supply them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yeah, but I also so once the hair grew out, it looked like this mane of silver hair. And it wasn't like emo girl. It wasn't glam, it wasn't it was just mangy, or was it. It was like it was like grayish, bluish, purplish yellow.
Speaker 2: We all know, we all know the vibe. But it's giving gay person in a crisis.
Speaker 1: Just as a quick aside, men must stop getting neo Nazi haircuts, as someone who used to be a man, and as someone who used to get them, stop getting like the blind barber fade like the kind of like.
Speaker 2: It's so like but you know, a high and tight it works.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It works on some people.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work on white people. It just doesn't. It's it's it's it looks, it's boring. It's just it doesn't say anything about the person.
Speaker 2: But some people don't need their haircut to say anything about them. I don't. I could not imagine a world in which that is true, but it is true for people.
Speaker 1: They don't care.
Speaker 2: It was a time where you thought your hair told told something about the well, well, I want to answer your question about my worst haircuts, That's what I was asking. So, I mean, let me so, I think more so than you, I have been on a hair journey my entire life, night life. I've not only nightlife, but like when I was a teenager, and I know I've talked about this on the podcast before, probably like ages ago when we did our hot topic episode. Dyeing my hair was one of the first things I did as like an adolescent where I was like, this is about my individuality, you know, like I've been dyeing my hair since I was twelve thirteen. So my hair has been every color, and I do mean every color, like every natural color and every unnatural.
Speaker 1: Color, blonde, blonde.
Speaker 2: Brown, black, green, green, yellow, red, orange, purple, blue, blue, wow, everything never a rainbow moment.
Speaker 1: Come on, eternal sunch out of the spot is.
Speaker 2: Mine, I would say. So, I would say, like one of my worst hair moments is something that also has been spoken about. This we've also spoken about before or with Honey Pluton. When I did get my hair chemically straightened in high school at thee at the Red Kid Lounge, not not at the Red Kid Loud, but at the salon that was at the mall. I don't know that that was the worst one, but it, uh, it was probably up there. It's probably it's probably up there. And then you know, I mean like boy life. I mean, maybe my worst haircut looking back on it now, is the year before I transitioned. I had sort of a mullet, and then I had done sort of that like monk thing where you shave back the hairline a little bit, but then you still have like a bang kind of Oh my god, yeah, it was, it was. It was weird.
Speaker 1: It's so hard to imagine. Yeah, I don't, I really, I never I don't know anything about you pre transition.
Speaker 2: I don't even do you want to look at Do you want to get some old phone? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no please, no no.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it'll be fun. No.
Speaker 1: I know they're fun for you, but they're not fun for me. But I don't even know your dead name.
Speaker 2: Girl, You don't really, it's surprising.
Speaker 1: I have a guess, but I actually don't know.
Speaker 2: I if I can find, let's guess each other's. I mean, I mean, I think my my hair was always like shaggy was kind of always the moment.
Speaker 1: And then Scooby really hit it.
Speaker 2: Let me show you. I'll show you a picture of me in college, and I.
Speaker 1: To see this. This is non consensual.
Speaker 2: You really don't.
Speaker 1: On the Patreon, I've already seen a photo of you as like a high school boy, and even that was but this is me as a college boy, and it's actually like okaute, Okay, okay, isn't that crazy? It's really jarring, isn't it weird? You look really cute?
Speaker 2: I know, right, yeah you do. I have had some moments I like, don't. I like, really don't have a problem with looking at pre transition photos.
Speaker 1: Don't. So that was my boundary cross.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I I like, I know that we're sort of straying off topic, but we do that on this show.
Speaker 1: Well, you have hair on your face, this photo.
Speaker 2: Said I. I don't mind looking at pro transition photos of myself because like it's actually like kind of nice for me to look back nown and be like I wasn't so bad. Yeah, like I was kind of I was kind of cute, Like I'd fuck me.
Speaker 1: That's not the experience I'm having. I obviously don't have a problem looking at pre transition photos because I've only come out a year and still for a year. I've only been out for a year, and I still kind of look the same. But I I I do cringe so fiercely at old photos on myself because because you're able to, like, I don't know, photos like that, Like if I looked at my college version of that photo, I would just be immediately transported to like how out of touch I was with like myself and my body and my personhood and like so it's like kind of wonky, but like, no, it's it is, I do. I we've both gotten so much hotter, Like we both have glowed up so hard.
Speaker 2: I thank you, thank you for saying that, both about yourself and about me. I don't always feel it like I felt. So I felt that so much more at the beginning of my transition because it was so like it was something I had to believe just to like survive every day. Because okay, so here's a hair thing. Right before so as I said, I had that crazy like shaved back hairline. And when I decided to like when I like, the whole year leading up to deciding to transition, like I had been really like playing with my gender and like trying all these different forms of expression and like I had kind of long hair, and then during a performance at and I also had, I had fish hair, and during a performance at a party that Reefe Royalty used to throw at TNT, I buzzed all my hair off. And so I started my transition with no hair.
Speaker 1: What did you wear? Wicks?
Speaker 2: I to parties sometimes, but like I had, but like I had because of that the first two years in my transition, which, like like I've said before, like I look back on the time, it's like some of the worst moments of my life because I was like, so I was like my my my mentality was like so at odds with my presentation, and that only made me like push harder. And I was like just not giving physically what I was giving mentally and instead of like being a and I don't know, that's like very complicated and and I look back on it now and I don't cringe because like I know that it was necessary for my survival and it was like doing that allowed me to get to the point where I didn't have to do that anymore. But I really kind of fucked myself over because if I had kept that mullet, I at least would have had a little hair to like toss around when I was like stomping down myrtle Broadway.
Speaker 1: Starting your transition bolt is actually kind of a serve. Were you like Nonminaria first? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I also in that same fold I'm not gonna show it to you, but and that same folder I was I had that photos in. I have a folder in my phone in my phone albums of just it says old of photos, like pre transition photos, like not like some baby photos, but mostly like adulthood photos. And there's one that I took like right after not only I cut all my hair off, but like totally like shaved my face like raw for the first time. And like looking at that, like it does it like a hairless Yeah, like a no, like a hairless cat cat. And it doesn't. It doesn't hurt to look at it. But I I just look at it, and I'm like, why did you start like that girl? Because I was going crazy. Transitioning is crazy, It's fucking crazy. Every hair is such a big.
Speaker 1: Part of it. It's essential. It's an essential part of the movement.
Speaker 2: So like, Okay, I'm going to bring us to like a dark I know we're getting kind of head well, we're getting to the light place after, We'll get to after. So So when I was like a year after I had started transitioning, I was raped, and I like was real. I had like a really like dark, dark, like intense period of trauma afterwards, and I like came very close to a suicide attempt. And one of the things that I did to pull myself out of it was like list all of the reasons why I wanted to be alive, and one of the ones I listed was like, I want to live enough for my hair to grow past my shoulders. Oh my god, you make me cry. Yeah, and I did.
Speaker 1: I'm literally, oh my gosh, shut up, but sorry. I was making so many suicide jokes earlier, I mean sue jokes like help you get through the cold reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I make suicide jokes all the time. And I'm I like also came close to a suicide attempt, like not that long ago.
Speaker 1: So and you know, I okay. The thing about hair is actually your here can completely reinvigorate your head space and life like a good.
Speaker 2: Hair lip or it's on the space on your head.
Speaker 1: Yes, and like even like beyond like walking int of a haircut. Sometimes it's just like after you've worn hair for a certain time and then all of a sudden you look and you're like, oh my god, like this is my hair, Like my hair's finally arrived where it needs to be. Like I feel like I had that recently my hair. Yeah, I'm pretty sure if only, Like I mean so in high school I did get that kind of like Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire era, like skater boy shag, like I had that hair. Oh you did. Okay. That was a big hair decision. And then maybe my second most important, my second hair decision was to go silver, which was like a big movement for me. And then after I I was silver for like a year and a half, I was so sick of like shoveling money, time and energy into like maintaining it because like never ever ever die, Like dying your whole head is crazy. If you have black hair, it's just not worth the energy and pain. And also just like I'm sick, there's it's not there's not a ton.
Speaker 2: Of success so much and it damages your hair and it gets.
Speaker 1: So bad, so yellow. And anyways, after that, I shaved my bult and that was kind of the last hair decision I made before I figured out that I was trans and I like my kind of not as dark as your period, but like my darker period was like years and years and years and years of doing nothing with my hair and wearing the same outfit every day because I used to have I was in that phase of like pretty much wearing the same like you know, all black whatever outfit every day and having this mustache that I didn't even like, reminding me of my dad. I still don't even know.
Speaker 2: Why I had facial hour.
Speaker 1: Why did you have facial hair? I still because I wanted to be fuckable, Like I still to this day don't know why I had a mustache.
Speaker 2: It was about being fuckable and right, I mean the what I what I've always thought about, like specifically, the year and some chain before I transitioned, I had like the most facial hair I've ever had. Yeah, and I and I think it was because, like what I've reflected on now is I needed to lean as far as I could into masculine presentation basically to see if that was real, like if that was who I actually was, Like Okay, I don't like because I had been feeling like I had always played with gender, like as a club kid, like I like presented like like very fem sometimes in those kinds of spaces, and like did things that were like drag adjacent but like more performance already. But I also like you know, being like I was like like being a little hairy, like being fat, you know, like also like existed in that like cub and like that was me experimenting, like trying to figure out, like, okay, with what I've been given, let me take it as far as it will go and see if that's the gender thing that feels real to me, or if the other stuff it was is what feels real. So like that year I was like had long facial hair. I was like go into the eagle and like you know, wearing leather and like going to a fairy sanctuary and like getting pissed on at the outdoor shower. And like my my friend and I who used to throw parties, we started throwing a party called Daddy, and I was like doing all of this like gender performance, and it all felt incredibly hollow. Yes, it felt so retroactively, you're like, and I like had to swing that far in that direction, yes, to realize that that wasn't who I wanted to be, and like I also and so like then I tried swinging to the middle and being like, Okay, well maybe I'm somewhere in the middle, so let me get this weird like you know, haircut and like you know where bad eyeshadow, and and like you know use like you know, neutral pronouns and like that didn't really feel either, And so then I had to ask myself, like, are these things just like a costume that is insulating me from like the truth of who I am or who like I've always wanted to be. And that was the answer, And like once I answered it, I like couldn't look away from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like how could I Like it's been there. It's almost like it's been there the whole time in a weird way.
Speaker 2: Of course, the conversation about hair with two trans people being a conversation about and because hair is trans, it's trans period hairs trans trans is hair, trans is hair. It's like trans is having hair, not having hair, removing hair, growing hair like.
Speaker 1: It is hitting hair transplanted.
Speaker 2: It's so hair is so incredibly integral to your identity. It's trans.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about any person. I want to talk about hair body mod but before we move away from this little dark this little dark moment, I want to also, like, just what you just said was so validating, Like hollow was the word I the years that I spent like wearing the same, like having the same haircut, like my lesbian barber giving me the exact same haircut for six seven years, wearing the same outfit and a mustache that I retrospect retroactively, I'm like, definitely was like I was thinking about maybe being fuckable, but honestly, I didn't even feel fuckable. I just felt like I was trying to hide my face because I didn't like looking at my face, and my mustache was something to distract me and others from the fact that I didn't like my face and didn't feel attractive. And and like I I think that maybe I also really liked the kind of vintage vintagey like castro clone, like porn stash like and I did do it before. That was cool, by the way, but no, like I now, I'm trying so desperately to remove all my hair and grow it all on top of my head and and maybe get like hair transplants in the corners of my forehead and I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I like they're like I'm able to look at like the photo I showed you, and like I know who that person was, and I do feel a connection with them when I look at the photos of like the year leading up to me deciding to transition and then the year like immediately following it. That's the person who I'm like, I don't know who you are because like I don't understand the either like the extreme in one direction or like the like chrysalis.
Speaker 1: Uh, like I hate the.
Speaker 2: Metaphor, but that is that is who I feel so far away from because it's like that person was so confused about who they were and was in so much pain, and like the hair was such a manifestation, was a tranifestation of that. You can see pain. Hair is pain.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, tell me, tell tell me that I still have not gone to electrolysis and I'm about to start that journey.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah, have you did you decide where you're gonna go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, my friend, I have a lot of friends that all recommended me to the same place, which I am going to gate keep for now.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll have to tell me how it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm trying to get my health insurance to pay for it. This is an interesting but anyways, hair electrolysis versus laser, that is interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Like, well, electrolysis hurts so much more because laser is very quick. Yeah, an electrolysis like you pay by the time increment because they pay by the hair because they go in and zap each hair follicle individual and you and I.
Speaker 1: Know somebody who like clinically knocked herself out to experience electrolysis because the pain, which I would like to do. Yeah, I want a doctor that will let me be unconscious during it.
Speaker 2: I want someone to come into my home while I'm sleeping.
Speaker 1: Knock me out. Yeah, yeah, knock me clean out.
Speaker 2: And well, no, I want to I want I want to take like three ambient and then wake up, not three. Yeah, and then have you ever are you gonna do laser anywhere else on your body?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I it really depends on how well everything else goes.
Speaker 2: But if you know you can't do it anywhere you've been tattooed.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna that's the problem. What Yeah, that's really good to know. But that's fine because I really only want laser on my whole and maybe on my chest. But I I'm not really that's more like kind of like fun money like next step because I actually, I mean obviously I don't. I just like shave the hair on my whole and I don't mind. I like I when I trim the hair on my chest, I don't mind it. I don't mind what it does.
Speaker 2: I never shaved my whole. Oh really, and I had someone recently.
Speaker 1: But your hair, your probably whole hair, your hair hoole, your hair whole, your whole hair, your whole hair is probably so fine.
Speaker 2: And maybe maybe, but I did have someone. This has happened a couple of times. But I can recall one recent instance where someone was like, we were making plants to hook them, and they were like, are you gonna, like, you know, are you gonna be like smooth and hairless for me? And I was like, I would never groom myself based on someone else's requirement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, never on principle. On principle, I would, however, so that guy should slide into my DMS, I do. There is something about like when if a guy's coming over and it's a guy who's into like a girl like me. I do want to kind of be like buffed and puffed and trimped and talked, you know what I mean. I mean, I'm not talking, but I taught.
Speaker 2: I used to. I used to feel that way. I used to put so much effort into like when especially when I was hooking up with people and like being as cute and femb as possible, And now I like, hey, I don't hey, b I don't care. I mean a big part of it is like I'm actively not looking to have sex with like chasers with straight people. I'm like primarily trying to have sex with queer people. So I like would hope that queer people like don't care about that as much. And then also like I don't care about it, yeah, as much.
Speaker 1: You actually have helped you. You were one of the primary people to like continually reorient my thinking around that, being like you gotta stop prepping and buffing and puffing for guys that don't show up, because that happened to me so frequently in Los Angeles, Like fuck every man in Los Angeles who did that to me? But like nobody likes to like douche and go through the whole hour long ringer of like looking like a presentable, clean person for somebody that doesn't show up but now and so I don't do that anymore for other men. I do it for me if I'm doing it, yeah, and if I And the only reason I'm doing it is because I want to feel powerful. I don't care if that is what they desire. I don't care if that's a need that they want. It's like I'm using my kind of feminine beauty and glow to you know, woo them. And it's also like honestly on like the facial hair of it all, and just like how I present as a person, because sometimes they feel totally crazy just talking about being trans in general. It's like sometimes they feel like I have kind of reverse gender dysphoria where I think I'm like way more soft and cunt than I actually am, and like sometimes that works out for you. It's kind of like a Jedi mind trick. I mean a lot of being trands is like a Jedi mind trick that you have to do on yourself.
Speaker 2: Well you have to, and like I mean, the thing is like you did come out like last year, and you like I'm I'm telling you, like I think, especially coming out as an adult, because like now we live in a world where people are coming out younger and younger, and like, once you've like lived in the world like with your body looking a certain way, like you really have to kind of beat a little Delulu. Oh, you have a while until you like kind of catch up to where you want to be. And like, obviously neither of us are saying like there's only one right way to present as a transperson, as a trans woman, like whatever, But when you do want that, sometimes you gotta lie to your It's not that I'm saying that you're lying, but like sometimes you just have to like fucking believe it so much so that other people will too, or so that even if other people don't believe it, at least you do, and so like in your mind that makes them the stupid ones for not getting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean, Delulu is the end. D Lulu is my life and brand like that is like how I operate, Like you know that, like kind of one of my best and worst qualities is that I truly fiercely believe that things can happen when they truly will not happen. You know, but sometimes you have to like believe in it in order to get even like a fraction of close to what you want. And like in terms of like hair, like I mean you and I are very lucky to be in a Brooklyn trans bubble where like I can go to bars and be among friends and being among gay people who will actually see me and acknowledge my gender and use my pronouns, and I don't even have to ask, like and I didn't even have to inform them that was something that was disseminated to them, or maybe they got a clue based on how it is presenting. But I do fiercely believe that, among other things, my hair right now is like part of what really helps people see me. Not that gender should be so tied up in performance. And that's like a whole other conversation that we don't need to talk about.
Speaker 2: Like gender, it's a way that you telegraph to the world, Like it's how you clue them in. And I also think it's not necessarily just like a Brooklyn queer bubble. It's like we live in New York. Yes, like people here are used to the existence of trans people.
Speaker 1: Yes, like you will walk out the door and see them getting coffee, like going on a jog, like you know, I don't know what people do.
Speaker 2: I think like people here, when they see someone who's maybe like their initial perception of them, based on whatever reason, doesn't match up to what it seems they are trying to inform the world about them. They instead, I think here people in major metropolitan cities like New York, people are more likely to be like, Okay, I'll go with what this person is clearly trying to do, rather than like what I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: H And hair is such a huge part of it, Like I you know, I have there are days when I feel like really gross and like like bricky, and the fact that I have this like long hair is like a shield that I get to wear out into the world that I'm like, at the very least I have this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and even I mean, my facial hair is like my biggest battle. It's like the thing that I hate the most about my face up from frequently and I had.
Speaker 2: And it's just never gonna be gone, Like that is just reality, Like shut up, no, I'm dealing with your hair is gone? Are you kidding? I can so much.
Speaker 1: Seeing I've never seen a single hair on your face.
Speaker 2: That's crazy to me because I see it.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting because like up next to your face, so now you see it. No, not right now, I'm saying, only when I am like literally like putting my eyes next to your face because you just told me that you just had laser and so you haven't shaved in four days. Is the only time where I have seen hair on your face.
Speaker 2: You will see this me right now? Is like I almost like I almost shaved this morning because this is like more it's it's gotten better recently because I had laser again, but and also because I've just kind of stopped caring as much about going out, like feeling like I have visible facial hair. But like this where I'm at now is kind of like the last day into a cycle that I would want to do that and something toxic is like I do like orient the way I schedule my life still around shaving. That's all around shaving and also around washing my hair. That's not toxic at all. That's totally normal. Like the way the way that I only I will only smoke a cigarette the day that I'm washing my hair. It's like also not toxic I like to think about the Like if I'm making plans with someone for dinner, I'm like, oh, like I should make plans like the day after. I know I'm going to shave the next time, you know, so like I don't get myself in like a bad cycle. You know, like I'm getting I'm getting my hair done on Thursday, and I'm like, okay, I'm I know I'm gonna want to like take photos, like make a TikTok, so I should make sure that like I'm like not clocky that day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm definitely shaving for like any front facing camera video I'm doing generally, and then like figuring out how to like cover up like my beard shadow, which will go away one day, right.
Speaker 2: You will. You will be shocked one like the first time you have or like the next time you have like a successful laser electrolysis or whatever, like and that when you shave and like the shadow isn't immediately there, like it will be a very big moment. Okay, so oh future haion, Okay, future hair decisions. So I mean this episode will come out after this has happened. But I have a hair appointment on Thursday. I have I'm really happy with the person who does my hair now. I like kind of when I moved back to New York, I'd been seeing someone in LA who, like I kind of liked, but he was kind of the person I was talking about before who he was more like he gave me exactly what I asked for rather than giving his opinion and like having a conversation about it. This person who I work with now at the salon the Birdhouse in Bushwick, which is like literally the only reason I will go to Bushwick is to go to the salon because I have a really amazing hairstylist. Her name is Drenne, and she it's always like very collaborative and when we talk when we do my hair, and like we've gotten into a good cycle of like maintenance and also okay, so also I have broken my cycle with her, of the the cycle that I had gotten myself into, which was specifically about hair color. And you know that I used to do this, so it was always like basically even even pre transition, like I did this like when I was when I was presenting as a boy. It would be red in the sum, red in the fall, dark in the winter, blonde in the summer and then usually like late summer, when the blonde was growing out, I would do like a fun color.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't matter what year it is, Rose will still ask the internet if she should go blonde or go red but this or if you should have bangs.
Speaker 2: But this year, I really like firmly made the decision that my hair is meant to be or like I feel the most me when I have red hair or like reddish hair. And I even like I went blonder for the summer, and like a month into it, I was like, no, this isn't right, Like I have to I have to break the cycle. And so now it's like it's always going to be read, Like the tone might change, but it's always going.
Speaker 1: To be read, and then maybe the shape might change.
Speaker 2: The shape might change. I have been I have been pretty seriously considering bangs.
Speaker 1: And you can't see right now, but Rose has a knife to her throat and she is threatening.
Speaker 2: I know, like the bank thought like came from a dark place at first, because of the recent mental trauma I've been enduring.
Speaker 1: She's like, I swear to God, I'm gonna get bangs.
Speaker 2: But now I've been doing something. I've been looking. I've been spending a lot of my time recently looking at old photos of my and I, well, like from the past couple of years, and I specifically went and looked at all the photos of myself where I had bangs from the past couple of years, and I do really like how they look on me. At the same time, like I do like my hair the way it currently is kind of I think what I've realized is like the I like the way I look with bangs, They're not always the most functional for my hair texture and my lifestyle because I'm a forehead sweater, so my bangs get like when I have bangs, like they will get kind of damp, and like no one wants to walk around with like wet hair, Okay, but like what if you're just doing the little curler every morning so that the bangs are kind of like this, so they're not touching your forehead, you know, even then they'll still get, you know, like damp.
Speaker 1: But the reference is Florence, right, or maybe like or what do we what do we going? What are we?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean Florence.
Speaker 1: Do we want to straight across bang? Do we really want to do that?
Speaker 2: Or do I think here, I'll show you. I'll show you a reference.
Speaker 1: I'm not being subtle. I kind of want you to go in a more feathery vibe because.
Speaker 2: I think, well, I've done I've done a curtain bang before, and like that is probably.
Speaker 1: A curtain bang is the Florence bang.
Speaker 2: No, a curtain bang is like a longer, more feathery bang. Okay, and that doesn't work for you. This is kind of Oh I like this love. It's like it's like blunt but still a little feathery.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, it's it's a little it's like not asymmetrical, but it's a little choppy. Not it's not that's it. It's not trying to be.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not going to I'm not ever gonna do like a Zoe Dachanell bang.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's what I was worried.
Speaker 2: But Florence is more the vibe. And also, like my you know, I was just home visiting my family recently, and my my mom and my two sisters all three of them have bangs. We all have the same texture hair, like all of us, and it was like a nice moment. We were all sitting around talking about our hair and we like they were all talking about having bangs, and I was like, oh, I kind of want that. And also, I my mom and I went out for breakfast one morning and I posted a picture of her on my Instagram story, and so many people either commented or told me the next time they saw me, oh my god, you and your mom look so much like you have the exact same hair, and that a couple of years ago, I realized my hair was red, and I realized I looked at a photo of my mom from when she was young, and I was like, oh my god, I look so much like my mom. And I immediately dyed my hair a different color because I didn't like that. And now you're like, and like, I love it. I want to look like that. And my mom and I when I was home the most recent, like last week, we literally had like our hair is the same color, the same texture, we do that we wear it the same way. She has bangs, so like I kind of wanted to just lean into it.
Speaker 1: You should, you absolutely should, so.
Speaker 2: I might be getting.
Speaker 1: I'm very pro bangs so long as they're bangs that like don't feel like they should feel like an extension of what you already have. And I think that like that reference image is perfect to me. You're gonna be so much more TikTok though it's gonna make you like it's just gonna be so cute.
Speaker 2: And I think maybe, like I'll have to decide if because every time I've gotten bangs, I haven't maintained them. I always immediately start growing them out, and so I think that's where I so if I just like commit to having them for a while, I won't feel as as much like that I regret them, but like I'll always regret a haircut or a hair color decision, as I said in three to five business days.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know the hair decision that I'm thinking about?
Speaker 2: Yes, tell me extensions again?
Speaker 1: No, oh my god. I mean I would love to have an extensions moment, but that would be more like event based, like a ponytail or something like that. I'm currently thinking a lot, and I can't really do it until I have like fun money, but like that probably could be like maybe as soon as the winter. I am thinking a lot about So I actually love the color like your color, like red brown, whatever, and I think it would go really well with my black hair. And I'm thinking about taking just my haircut as it is and dyeing all of the tips red. That's cute, yeah, because I think it would be like not, It's not like a huge change, and it's something that I can chop off if I get sick of it.
Speaker 2: It's a little emot.
Speaker 1: It's a little malgoth, but I can But the way I would wear it would be pretty fashion. I mean not in what I'm literally in a mal goth outfit right now, like kind of crazy, but like, yeah, no, I've been feeling the kind of emo. But I also just have been wanting more texture in my hair, like more something that just like brings out, like the shape and the feel of it. So I think that might be my next move because I haven't gotten a haircut in months, which is a great thing because my haircuts are so expensive. But yeah, no, I'm thinking about a red like yours, maybe a red that's like a little more electric and a little less auburn.
Speaker 2: That's very exciting. I mean, I'm when I do my hair this week, I'm doing cut and color, so I will be going a much deeper, darker copper red.
Speaker 1: I'm going would you describe this now?
Speaker 2: This is like auburn like a like a it was copper the last time I got it colored and it has faded to more of an auburn. But I also my hair is like very highlighted, so a lot of it so like it is light because of that work. But this is kind of the vibe.
Speaker 1: But oh that's really red. Wow, Sophie, I extremely read and.
Speaker 2: Also like getting older older Florence, because Florence now does like a more naturally ginger.
Speaker 1: Oh that's her, but that's not her natural hair color. No, no way, Wait, that air is amazing.
Speaker 2: The bangs are not, but I don't I don't mind the and also also Emma Stone and Corilla that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Wait, well the glasses I mean with god, Wait, that's a really good bang.
Speaker 2: And also Florence and the Shake It Out video that is kind of the ultimate reference. Yes, Florence shake it Out Ceremonials Era. Florence is like the hair and bang that I'm going for.
Speaker 1: I wish I could pull off that color red you really like with your with your postaline skin tone, It's really gonna look so fierce on you. I can't wait for that hair. Era.
Speaker 2: Who's hair? Who in the world? Like, do you think.
Speaker 1: Hair outside the opera. Okay, nice, but the tattoo I have on my thigh slash the hair that I am aspiring to Yeah, what about you.
Speaker 2: Uh, Nicole Kiinman In practical.
Speaker 3: Matter, yes, well, hair is maybe a generat Yeah yeah, yeah, let's say some some hair, the most synthetic, the most hair extensions ever committed to film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now a clip from our Patreon become a patron at patreon dot com, slash like a virgin for weekly bonus episodes and more so. I know that we have discussed religion before in our in every episode, in every episode about France childhood trauma, and specifically in our Christmas episode from Holidays twenty twenty one. But today we're going to talk about spirituality, you know, not necessarily organized religion, more of like woo oo like esotic spirituality between us and our God or.
Speaker 1: God's mysticism, higher powers, vibes, vibes, manifestation, trannifestation, the power of magic. Thinking the secret.
Speaker 2: The secret I'm secreting the secret which I whenever I think about the Secret, I think about Samantha reading it on the beach and the Sex and the City movie. I'm secreting secreting.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I was going to say totally separate. We honestly should do an episode on the Bible that would actually be a really good separate episode. Stay tuned for that. But like, I really feel like in terms of like religion, spirituality, whatnot, we are in a very interesting time post Channy Nicholas, Post Channy Nicholas. We're in front of the podcast, friend of the podcast Channy Nicholas, We're in everybody. I mean, we actually almost over indexed on astrology culture and now Australiy's like astrology is a little bit on it Wait, sorry, Channing, I mean like not on its way out, but like we're talking about it less because we've kind of exhausted the amount we're talking about it. But I say this all to say is that the crystals and the woo woo and the kind of white woman mysticism that is kind of oozing its way through a lot of our culture and our daily conversations has a lot to do I think with the fact that like Christianity is becoming less and less.
Speaker 2: Popular, not if you watch the news.
Speaker 1: No, it really is, like statistically, like people that believe in God are becoming the minority, which is cool. They are not like in a population that is necessarily increasing.
Speaker 2: Do you do you believe in God? No, God, God God? Do you believe in some kind of higher power or I guess sort of like intelligent design to the universe. Do you believe in magic and sort of the power of positive thinking and like energy and that?
Speaker 1: I kind of. I don't believe in magic personally. I believe in a person's a bit to sell themselves on a story and for that story to have actual ramifications on their life. So with Christianity or with astrology, or with reading taro or like whatever it is that is your you're really telling yourself a motherfucking fairy tale. But those fits. But the thing is, stories are so powerful.
Speaker 2: So powerful.
Speaker 1: I'm holding Rose's hand right now, my God, stories are literally so powerful.
Speaker 2: I can't. We have not said that on the podcast for so long, and honestly for too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll be our hat, That'll be the next hat I do. It's it's crazy, though, I'm actually saying, being very earnest, like the power of storytelling is actually religion, like the Bible is actual mythology that has been sold to billions of people that has been passed down through eons and the world. Yes, and that's the story. Is that powerful?
Speaker 2: So stories are so powerful.
Speaker 1: But now we do versions of this with the kind of like white woman manifestation thing. Like I do actually think that, like, whatever it is that is your jug, believing in something higher is good for you and good for your brain. Like science science statistics have actually shown that, like, people that believe in God or some kind of higher power are statistically happier than the rest of the population. Like, and it makes sense because you because you're believing in a lie. But lies are great. Lies are powerful, and that's why I think I love a lot of them. I subscribe to a lot of wo Woo girls stuff because I think it's important to just in the same way we use therapy to reflect, to like, use the stories of the world to I don't know, live your life, to orient your life.
Speaker 2: Around what do you think is the most woo woo thing you do?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a really good question. Do you have an answer to this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty superstitious, you know, I will. I used to be much more when I was a kid, Like step on a crack break your mother's back that kind of stuff. But like if I have if I have an eyelash, I'm making a wish on it. Okay, if it's eleven eleven, I'm making a wish. Okay. If I spill salt, I'm throwing it over my shoulder, although I always forget which shoulder it's supposed to be, Like I do kind of it's not that I believe that stuff, but I always have that moment of like, what if I don't do it in something something bad happens, or like things like my mom always used to tell me when you start a new job, make sure that on the first day you walk in on your right foot. Like little things like that like have like accumulated in my brain. And so I think that is the thing that I still have some lingering belief in that they're is a sort of pattern we can hack into through these little rituals that have like accumulated over millennia, and because of like the belief in them, they hold some kind of power. I don't necessarily think that power comes from like God or any or anything, but like even if it's just like the power of my own beliefs, Like, yes, I do believe in that so that is I think the woo wooiest thing about me, and there have been times in my life when I've been into much more woo woo things. Same, but that's kind of curzy.
Speaker 1: Jesus