Speaker 1: People will say, just so you know, I'm not feeling suicidal. I love my life, and if you hear anything other about me, you'll know it's not the real deal. Because people have controversially died, and Forrestall is the first one when that happened in forty nine, and people think he was all over this UFO issue after Roswell, that he was tied into Roswell, and then later Kennedy was tied into him.
Speaker 2: Of course, don't even get me started on the twelve scientists. By the way, all of them are linked to classified nuclear and aerospace projects, who are all currently missing or dead, some by suicide allegedly.
Speaker 1: I'm bryce able. Have you ever wondered if there's a secret connection between Hollywood and UFOs.
Speaker 2: I'm Brent Friedman, and you are listening to sound, light and frequency.
Speaker 1: And in this episode, we're putting JFK and Roswell in an atom collider and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Then we're going to a real atom collider on the Swiss Franco border and we're going to ask some very interesting questions. Last episode, we talked about some very interesting postcards that we were sent in the mail during the whole Dark Sky's experience, which, as we talked about, set off a whole series of questions and intrigue and frankly put us into a state of paranoia. And so today what we'd like to do is start to ask why did those postcards get sent to us? And was it at all connected to specifically what we did in the Dark Sky's pilot.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm joining you today, Brent, from my San Francisco office of the Vast Stellar Productions Holdings. Anyway, I take your point about those postcards, and the purpose of today's podcast, Brent, is to ask ourselves a question. We got those cards in the middle of the summer as we were starting to shoot Dark Sky, so all it was out there was a pilot script and a bible, and so that we've always asked ourselves what was in those things that would have made anybody say, let's send semi threatening postcards to this Zabele guy so he can show him to Freedman and they can freak out. Why would that happen? And I think what you and I have decided is at least one of the leading theories. It goes back to when we were working on creating darks guys, and we said, let's try the unified field theory of conspiracy. Let's take the two greatest conspiracies of the twentieth century Roswell nineteen forty seven, JFK nineteen sixty three. Let's put them in Adam Collider and see what happens. And that's what dark Skuys was. And as you said, that's one of the things JC first told us when he met us over a year later. You got a lot of things, right. Do you think maybe he was talking about that.
Speaker 2: It's a good theory, and I think today what we need to do is put each one of those conspiracies under the microscope and examine them. And I just want to say, as a bit of a tease for later in the episode, we're going to look at a third conspiracy, or I should say a third emerging conspiracy set in the twenty first century around cern.
Speaker 1: That's a real album collider if I'm not.
Speaker 2: Mistaken, exactly, And we are going to be connecting some dots back to the formula as we move that subplot forward, So stay tuned for that. In the meantime, Bryce you had suggested, do we do a lightning round and start looking at the cultural footprint that Roswell has left since nineteen forty seven.
Speaker 1: It is interesting to look at Roswell. It is culture right now. If you say the word Roswell to people, it's sort of like a shorthand way to say the government's lying to you, because we know the government light about something. Back in nineteen forty seven. They basically said we have a flying disc and then the next day they said, no, we don't. It was a weatherbloon. So they were lying at the beginning or the end somewhere in there. And so movies and television always picked these things up. So let's do this. You go first, tell me something you remember that you've seen where Roswell is mentioned, and then I'll give you one, and let's see how how long we can keep this going.
Speaker 2: All right, Low Hanging Fruit, Dark Skies.
Speaker 1: That's true, we've already said what that one was. I've got one that came out the same year as Dark Skys, though, and I think it's a pretty good one. And that would be literally the Rock. You remember this movie. It takes place literally at Alcatraz, which is important because I'm in San Francisco right now, and Sean Connery's involved in it, and they invoke Roswell as one of the biggest governments secrets, and they literally pair it, Brent with quote the truth about JFK. So this is all purpose. It is a great example. That is the single passport to conspiracy. If you say it, the audience absolutely understands it has to do with deep state secrets. And it's not a big part of the movie. It's just so casually invoked in the Rock. But you have to mention it because it was one of the first times where you could just go wow, didn't expect to see or hear that.
Speaker 2: Well. It's nice too, because the movie wasn't about Roswell or JFK. That was just this tossed off little piece of dialogue. It was about this guy who supposedly knew all about it. Right, you give me one, I'm going to give you a two fer oh X Files and it's spin off The Lone Gunman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. What was their take on Roswell?
Speaker 2: Their take, if I remember correctly, was it was basically a variation on a theme. It did happen, but they had a much more kind of interesting twist on the actual conspirac itself.
Speaker 1: If I recall, the best way to describe X Files with Roswell is it's some mythic cornerstone inside their larger mythology, right, It's a mythology inside of mythology. And they had one episode called EBE, which we know stands for extraterrestrial biological entity. But what's strange about it is, if I'm remembering this correctly, their deep throat tells Molder that after Roswell, he says, governments made a pack that any live extraterrestrial EBE would be killed, which sort of adds to the Roswell cosmology in a very dark way. And then in a later one they did something called The Unnatural that literally takes place at Roswell in nineteen forty seven and involves baseball. So they've literally in X Files made it serious conspiracy canon and American folklore at the same time, which I thought was interesting. I enjoyed it. The Lone Gunman. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think they ever invoke it by name. They live in a world where Roswell happened. Okay, here's another one now, eighteen ninety six. There's a lot going in the nineties. You got dark skys You Got the Rock, You Got X Files is on. And here's another big one, which we covered in a previous episode, Independence Day.
Speaker 2: Yep, No, that's a big one. I'm going to take Actually, a project you worked.
Speaker 1: On, Taken, is a great example because what happens in Taken is it is the inciting incident. I'm talking about Roswell. Now. In Taken, Roswell is the inciting incident of the entire mini series, and it launches the government conspiracy. There are ten episodes to take in and they all deal with that. I guess this is the way you would say it. In Taken. It is a multi generational launch point, right, Roswell happens, and these families are involved in it, and it goes across generations. When you hear Roswell in that series, you're invoking abduction and hybrids. But of course state power. Another one that we shouldn't miss here is Project Blue Book, which was on History Channel not long ago. They did two seasons. It's a buried origin story. They don't make tons about it. They do say it's a real extraterrestrial event that was hidden by military authority. So it's invoked a lot. But so is JFK. Frankly, in season two of Project Bluebook. JFK is a character. I mean he's literally a character. So there's that anything else.
Speaker 2: I'm going to maybe finish this up with a last unlikely one, but from our old friend Steven Spielberg once again, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I just watched it two nights ago. Okay, maybe give us a recap on how that I didn't.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I do think Spielberg is a film genius, of course, but that's not his best film. But I will say this. It begins with Indiana Jones in nineteen forty seven being at Area fifty one and he gets taken by these Soviet spies, and these guys want him to help locate the preserved body of an alien recovered at the Roswell incident. One other quick one, though, would have to be American horror story because that's very recent, that's on TV, and of course they turned it into a campy, paranoid alt history nightmare. And what's interesting about it, I thought you and I took everything but the kitchen sink of conspiracy and threw it into a blender for dark skies. But these guys took everything anything that people have ever said about anything about Roswell. Boom, it's in there. You got the presidents and they're making deals with aliens and people are levitating, and it's crazy. I guess the point that we're making here by just going through all these this was not exhaustive. And in fact, if you want to laugh instead of get all bent out of shape, I would recommend Brent that people should watch Paul. They never quite say, and Paul, by the way, that he is the original Roswell alien, but for my money is implied, hears implied. Roswell has become a cultural thing. So it's in the movies and all that. Let's talk about what it really is. First time, I was.
Speaker 2: Going to say, we've done Hollywood at least a nice fly over. Now let's do history.
Speaker 1: Okay, people like you and me, we probably know enough about Roswell that we could talk for a couple of our episodes about it before we ran completely dry. But one of the people I know very well is a guy named Don Schmidt, who is one of the researchers of Roswell. Don has been researching since the late eighties he worked for Kufos JL and Heinik was his boss for a while. He has written multiple books about it, and he has been investigating it forever, literally all through the nineties, the two thousand's, the twenty tens and now, and he has been the guy that, as he put it, was racing the undertaker, and boy did he run a good race. Because between Don and his partners, they literally have turned up hundreds of witnesses to create what I call a mosaic that tells you what's really going on or what did go on and implied what's going on. So I interviewed Don late in twenty twenty five for Need to Know, and I asked him to tell the story in a minute, is what I said. Don give me Roswell in a minute. So I've got that queued up right now. Let's just take a look at that and then see if there's anything that we need to add.
Speaker 3: I need to quickly point out what was so important about New Mexico at the end of World War Two, and within just years thereafter first atomic bomb was detonated just two hours west of Roswell, you had all the testing that captured German Vy two rockets at the White Sands Proving Grounds just to the south of that area, had ongoing atomic research at Los Alamos, and in Roswell itself you had the Roso Army Airfield, which was the headquarters of the first atomic bomb squadron in the world. So it was the hotbed of military activity research testing in the world bar none at that time. According to Project Bluebook, there were more UFO sidings in New Mexico at that time than anywhere else in the world. And wouldn't you know that, on the late evening of July second, nineteen forty seven, something crashed in the high desert just sixty five miles northwest of Roswell. Rancher would notify the base. It was the colonel based Commander William Blanchard, who woul dispatched his two intel officers to check it out. Within days, they put out a press release that they had actually captured a flying saucer within five hours. Blanchard's boss, General Roger Rainey, explained it all away as just a conventional off the show weather balloon with the radar reflector kite. And it wasn't until thirty years later that the very intelligence officer who led the investigation who was first to go investigate the crash site. He was diagnosed with terminal episima, and he broke his security oath. He went public and said, quote, being familiar with all materials, both foreign and domestic, this was nothing made on this earth end quote.
Speaker 1: I'd love that. It's so unfair. It is not fair for me to say, hey, Don, you've been studying something for many, many decades, and you've interviewed six hundred witnesses or whatever, and now just boil it down to one minute. But I thought he did a pretty good job.
Speaker 2: That's a great recap, and hopefully anyone that hadn't heard about Roswell now has the primmer on which we can build the rest of this episode.
Speaker 1: I have a book of Don's under option. It's called Witness to Roswell, and I would urge people who would like to go a little deeper and say, I really want to know some of the details here that they probably do want to read Witness to Roswell by Don Schmidt and his partner Tom Carey, who did a really good job with it. Just one thing to add to that, because there's not a lot again, there are many more details. There's a lot of testimony. When I first went to Roswell over a decade ago, Don had invited me and I was a speaker there, and Don introduced me to Frankie Rowe, who at the time was a woman I believe in her sixties. She had been thirteen years old Brent when her father, who was a local Roswell fireman, came home from having gone to the site and let her play with some of the memory medal, So she was folding stuff up and releasing it and then capturing it and doing that.
Speaker 2: Let me just interject for anyone that doesn't know. The memory metal is what is purported to have been the material that the craft was made out of that crashed that the government later said was tinfoil, But in fact everyone that dealt with it, including this girl and Jesse Marcel and several others, said that it actually had a memory to it, so that when you crunched it up, it would immediately snap back to its original form.
Speaker 1: Let me put it this way, fireman and even a thirteen year old girl know the difference between tinfoil and something that's extraordinary. And certainly Jesse Marcel, who you mentioned was the intelligence officer at Roswell, who also showed some of it to his own son that first night. And in order to believe the weather balloon as an aside, you'd have to believe that Roswell, which as Don Schmid pointed out, was the only nuclear bomber base in the freaking world at the time, that the people who were in charge of intelligence at that base, which is the most important base in the world, couldn't tell the difference between a crashed interplanetary vehicle and a weather balloon, of which they launched them regularly. But I digress back to Frankie Rowe. She told me to my face this story. She's thirteen years old. She'd been playing with this memory metal at the fire station and they were at home having dinner, and some men showed up. They drive up in the car. You've seen scenes like that before, and these people take her parents to separate parts of the house and talk to them. And then the scariest guy I believe, she said, he was a guy that always wore sunglasses right, and he had those military aviators right, and he takes her aside. And I'm not going to quote the exact quote because I don't have it in front of me. But the essence was he said, listen, little girl, you're not going to talk to anybody about what you saw and what you did, because if you do, your body will end up in the desert and Wi'll just be bones scattered to the wind, and nobody will ever know what happened to you, not even your parents. Ooh, this is a.
Speaker 2: Thirteen year old girl. This man gave this threat to listen.
Speaker 1: Let me put it this way. Why would people do that about a weather balloon, even if it was a classified weather balloon. It's hard to imagine.
Speaker 2: I'm curious, though, Bryce, when you met her years later in Oswell, how old was she?
Speaker 1: I think, if you do the math, this is probably twenty ten and she was thirteen and forty seven. Now we're really going to test our math skills.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at you. She might have been in her seventies. Okay, here's my question. I don't know if you asked her this, But had she ever told anyone this before she told you? When did she start not worrying about being bones in the desert?
Speaker 1: Exactly? I can't claim that she told me first. I heard her story only because Don Schmid said, Bryce, come over here. You need to meet Frankie. Frankie, this is bryce she had started later in her life, as many of these people do, which is what Don Schmidt was saying in Racing the Entertaining People. You don't have to quite be on your deathbed to say, screw this. I am tired of living in fear and I'm going to get clear with my maker by telling the truth about this extraordinary thing that happened to me. And that seemed to be where she was. She was a fierce and tough woman. When I met her, I did say to her, are you concerned? So I did ask her kind of your question, and she said she basically said, no, I'm not. What are they going to do to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I share that feeling. You had some of those same qualms before we did this exactly.
Speaker 1: You do know that? And that is that a description that would match your own about your meeting with Harrington and how you had to keep that close for so many years. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think there was always a fear that hung over ever going public. And it wasn't until I stopped worrying about death quite frankly, that I didn't care anymore, and I just felt that it is time to tell our stories.
Speaker 1: I'm glad they did. I'm glad all these witnesses have talked. And again, our podcast isn't about trying to prove Roswell to anybody. There's other podcasts that have tried to do that. We talk about film and TV and try to look into some of what has happened in the world like that and try to interpret it. We have to talk right now about what I think is the seminal film about Roswell that has been made to this point, and it's a movie that's called Oh wait, it's called Roswell. Yes it is.
Speaker 2: But one last thing I just want to put on the docket because I think it's going to inform some of what we're going to talk about with this movie, and that is that Roswell is generally considered ground zero for the UFO cover up, which is going on seventy nine years now. I think it's really interesting some of the things we're going to talk about, not just what's in the movie, but everything surrounding that movie as well.
Speaker 1: One of the great things about doing this podcast with you, Brent, is that we've said a general area we're going to talk about this, So in this case, we're saying, we're going to look into whether our JFK. Roswell connection actually could have been real, and it was out why they came to us, So you start to look into things. And I watched the Roswell movie back when it aired, and it was on Showtime back in nineteen ninety four, and I've seen it another time in between, and I watched it last week where I found a copy of it on YouTube. It's a powerful film and it has so many behind the scenes things. But just to give people what we say is the log line, there's many ways to describe the log line. Here's the shortest one I could figure out. In nineteen forty seven, Roswell, a military intelligence officer uncovers evidence of a crashed alien craft, only to be drawn into a sweeping government cover up that will haunt him for decades.
Speaker 2: That's a good description. We're talking about Jesse Marcel played by Kyle McLaughlin.
Speaker 1: Yes, of Twin Peaks, which, by the way, just before we get in and do the Roswell thing, we could have mentioned Twin Peaks when we were doing our lightning. That's kind of thing because Twin Peaks clearly has a lot to say about aliens or not even aliens, because in Twin Peaks, the mysterious force may not be alien at all.
Speaker 2: It's a non human intelligence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like it's interdimensional. It's ancient, it's psychic, it's evil, and it's already here. And one thing I did find though, while we're researching it, they don't, specifically, the best of my knowledge, invoke Roswell in Twin Peaks. That's in the series. But Mark Frost, who I believe is the creator of co creator with co creator along with the peopleage, he wrote a book, The Secret History of Twin Peaks, and he does invoke it there. He does say that this Douglas Milford character was building a shadow blue book inside of Twin Peaks and it was based on Roswell. That kind of thing. So Roswell got its fair share of discussion then. But let's talk about that movie. You just saw it. Tell me your thoughts.
Speaker 2: I thought the recreation of the time period back in the forties was quite well done. I've always liked Kyle maclachan. I thought he was quite good overall. I really liked it. The writing, the direction, the production design, the acting. It was all top quality, and I think that what appealed to me most was that kind of emotional arc that Jesse Marcel had somebody who you know back in the forties was portrayed as a very solid and reliable intelligence officer who gets caught up in this whole thing and they make him the fall guy. He then is, as you said, haunted for the rest of his life by this choice that he made to go along with the cover up. The nice thing they do in this movie is they're jumping back and forth between the forties when this happened and later in life when he's coming together for a reunion with the five h ninth bomber squad back at the base, and him trying to as he's getting old and they imply he's close to death, trying to make sense of what happened and get some information that would close the loop for him on what really happened. Did I remember this correctly? Have I forgotten that? Like what really happened? And I thought that part of the story that a man trying to close the book on something that happened to him, possibly a bad choice he made earlier in his life, was very compelling. It was moving.
Speaker 1: Jesse Marcel's son is a character in that movie. I actually met his real son who was passed on, but he certainly suffered fools, not gladly at all, and said, no, this was not a weather balloon that dad brought home in the middle of the night. It was clearly something extraordinary. Speaking of extraordinary things, though you did say it was so well written, it was written by a playwright, and I believe that is Arthur Koppitt playwright, and Jeremy Kagan was the director, but the creative force behind it was a gentleman called Paul David's. Paul David's is the one that sort of made it happen, and we'll get into that in a second. We like to say there's a story behind the story. So what you just described and the logline I gave you, that's the top level, the top of the pyramid about what it's about. But there's a story behind it. Here's one for you. The Roswell film was originally set up at HBO, but it aired on Showtime and apparently HBO's I don't know if he was the chair or the president or whatever. Michael Fuchs. By the way, it's based on a book that Don Schmidt wrote with his first partner, Kevin Randall and Michael Fuchs was on the plane back from New York and got off and they were already casting. And when he got off the plane, he said, we're not doing the movie anymore because it's too controversial. That's what Don Schmitt was told. Wow, and they dropped it. And God bless Showtime because within one week apparently it was then set up at Showtime and the entire creative team in Moss moved moved from HBO to Showtime and one other quick aside when it was at HBO. At the very beginning, HBO hired a guy named John Adam who was a stringer for Spy magazine and also for the New York Times, and they hired him at HBO to conduct an independent investigation. I've read this report. It's ninety five pages long, right, and John Adam concludes at the end of this report there are only two possibilities. A. It happened as exactly stated in the book okay, which is called UFO Crash at Roswell or b the most elaborate hoax he's ever seen. Those are the only two choices. Interesting, Yeah, here's one other factoid, the entire project got set up before the book was even written. They heard that Schmidt and his partner Randall were writing this thing, and Paul David's, who I mentioned, option this thing and set it up at HBO. So yeah, kind of behind the scenes kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on the topic of it being a hoax, there were a couple things that jumped out at me as related to eufology that I really appreciated in the movie because I knew a lot of the story at the high level, but there were some specific details that I didn't know. One was I didn't remember, or maybe I didn't even know that the Army, when they were trying to spin the whole thing as a cover up, said oh, no, the bodies that were found were monkeys. They were test monkeys. And someone in the movie has the line, well, the government didn't launch monkeys into space until fifty two, which is five whole years later, so I didn't know that they were trying to pass them off as monkeys. And again, you have an intelligence officer, you have a bunch of like very smart people, capable people that are mistaking monkeys for aliens. It's very strange. Another thing that I really liked was how they represented the Rashamon effect, and that was when they had several people trying to remember what the UFO looked like and they couldn't agree on it. They were like, oh, it was cylindrical, No it was domed, and no it was it had you know, a weird it was metal. No, it was more like a human skin or like a reptile skin. And so I think, as I've said before in various episodes, there's a subjectivity to all of these experiences, and I think that plays a big part in it. And that's one of the things that made that it feel real to me when I saw the characters not agreeing on exactly what they saw.
Speaker 1: Kind of like you and me trying to describe what kind of pants Jacon exactly. It's a great example where we both had the same experience. There are things that people don't agree on. Listen a couple of very quick factoids, But I would be remiss if I didn't throw these onto the fire here at this point because they're so interesting. First, you are right, it is such a great film. It was nominated for Best TV Movie by the Golden Globes and by the way, Don Schmid was such an active investigator. He didn't go to the Golden Globes. You know where he was. He was in the Marriott Hotel in Albuquerque because he was interviewing witnesses. So he saw it in the lobby of the Marriott. This one will kind of blow your mind. Kyle McLaughlin got the actual role. Christopher Reeve wanted to play it. Really, Christopher Reeve wanted to play it. He had read the book. And HBO did not consider him an A or a B actor. They considered him a C level actor. Wow. Hard to believe.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe it. I thought he was a great actor.
Speaker 1: And Showtime when they took it to Showtime, they were originally pushing for Don Johnson or Ted Danson. Wow. Okay, well you can just imagine you've just seen this movie. Those are slightly different movies. Okay. And here's one that's really important. There is an autopsy scene in the film, and you get to see the gray that they're working on, and I believe there's a living one that wakes up during the autopsy. I talked to Don Schmid about this just less than a week ago. This astonished me. I had to write it down because I was like, what are you kidding me? He said, when it came to rendering the Grays, we were very strict that we did not want an accurate portrayal. Really why now, Everything else I've ever heard dancay about this movie is, oh, you know, we're trying to get you know, they did a great job. As you said, they time period, why the Grays, And the reason was they didn't want to make it so real that people would watch it and then claim that they were witnesses or Dad told me he had done this. They wanted something that wasn't quite right about the Grays in that film, so that they could weed out people that were bullshitting them. Interesting, really interesting. This leads me to the one that I just have been waiting to talk to you about, because here's what happens in the movie, folks. Cale McLachlan playing Jesse Marcel is talking to the people at his reunion and he's asking them to come forward, and some of them don't want to. He's sort of an investigator, as he's portrayed in the who's trying to get straight on what really happened toward the end of his life. And there are a lot of flashbacks to his experience back in July of nineteen forty seven, and while he's at this thing, Martin Sheen is one of the leads in this movie, and you keep seeing Martin Sheen with sunglasses on or without him, but he's always at a distance. He's watching him. And at one point, Martin Sheen takes Kyle McLaughlin into an airplane hangar and lays it out for it. What'd you think when you saw that scene?
Speaker 2: You know what? Honestly, it felt like a scene we would have written in Dark Skies. I loved it. I thought it was great. Well, first of all, Martin Sheen's a great actor, Kyle McLaughlin's a great actors, So seeing the two of them in this huge, enormous space having this incredible conversation felt like the climax of the movie.
Speaker 1: By the way, I think Paul David's is responsible for this scene, which is interesting because he doesn't get credit for it. He gets one third of the story credit and doesn't share regular credit, but he's the guy that came up with all this stuff. And what's so incredible. Martin Sheen plays a guy named Townshend. I believe, and it just comes pouring out of him. He lays this all out. He says, these aliens have been observing humanity for centuries. They've influenced human history, and there's a quote in Critical and Startling Ways. He says they'd been genetically altering human DNA from our very beginnings, and he even says they inspired humanity's greatest spiritual leaders. I mean, it's just an avalanche, as you said, of ufology. But here's the part that is so dark Skiesian to me, okay, because we went with this kind of thing so often. Marcel reacts and he says, oh my god, you're telling me that the missing link could be the result of alien genetics, and townshend answers, I believe this information is correct, but who can really say for certain? Yes? And it reminded me of that scene you and I wrote with Loanguard talking to Bach who's running Majestic twelve. Loanguard says, I'm pretty close to the truth, and Buck says, well, the truth is overrated. Nothing is all true, John. Anyway, there's only one thing for us to put a bow on this thing with. We've complained that it's been hard to watch Dark skies. We talk about it and people I'd like to watch it, you can't. The DVD took fourteen years to get made, got made in twenty eleven, and just last year they don't make it anymore. You can't watch the DVD. You can't buy the DVD. It's not streaming anywhere. Guess what other film has that problem? Roswell it was released once, then it went away as a VHS. I believe it's been released as a DVD. You can't get the DVD right now. It's not streaming anywhere. The only place you and I were able to watch it, I believe, was on YouTube. Is that true for you? And according to Don Schmidt, again who knows what he's talking about, he said that at one time it was the highest viewed movie at military bases all around the world. Wow, that's for a period time. And guess what. Then it went away and now you can't get it.
Speaker 2: So the truth is overrated and sometimes the truth is suppressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, nobody wants to be the guy that's claiming they're suppressing my pride, you know, listen. I mean there's a lot of reasons why a lot of things are not available in Hollywood, right, there's distribution issues and all that. I don't want to wrap myself in victimhood here, but it is curious because both projects, which came out in the mid to late nineties, you can't watch right now, and in particular, Roswell is one that's, you know, really specific about what happened. It does a really good job. So I say, I don't care how you have to watch it. If you could watch it, yeah, I do recommend it as well. And by the way, I think that this is a conspiracy episode, so for today anyway, we can believe that our show was suppressed, just like the Roswell movie. Let's move on now to the other big conspiracy theory of the twentieth century, JFK, and how it connects to Roswell potentially. Boy, what is your take at this point when you think about what we said? First of all, I guess we have to say it though we said in that film that John Loan Guard, our main character, got a piece of the Roswell crash, got it to Bobby Kennedy, who got it to JFK, who got a message to him that said he was going to tell the story in his second term and The final scene in Dark Skies is Kennedy being killed and it being on television and Loan Guard watching it.
Speaker 2: With the implication being that he was silenced because he was going to go public about Roswell and the larger truth about UFOs. So, yes, that's what we posited in our pilot, and I think that if I look it back on it today, there's a couple things that get me thinking, are we already mentioned it once? When jac said you got a lot right, was he talking about that connection between JFK and UFOs. I think, as we talked about in a previous episode, there's a really weird factor where we put out something that we thought was fiction and now there's these little trace pieces of evidence and a lot of people connecting dots saying that they're there's truth behind what we thought was fiction.
Speaker 1: There was no Internet for us during Dark Guys. I remember in promotion you and I had to get in a car and drive to NBC where somebody allowed us to have a chat with.
Speaker 2: Little chat room.
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying. There's no anybody leaked anything to us. We just made it up. We said, let's take JFK, let's take UFOs Adam kllider Boom. However, now that we've done that and time has passed, I have done a little looking into that, and there is something that's very true that we should say that we did not know then. And that was on November twelfth of nineteen sixty three, which let's do the math, ten days before JFK dies National Security Action Memorandum two seven to one. So that's referred to as NSAM two seven to one. It's JFK pushing space cooperation with the Russians, with the Soviets in order to avoid starting World War three for an unidentified threat. Now, he never comes out and says UFOs in this memorandum, and you can go look it up again NSAM two seven to one, and it's real. Nobody's doubting that. So he was concerned ten days before his death about this. Now he was motivated by fear that these misidentified objects in orbit would trigger some sort of catastrophic misunderstanding. And well he should be. I mean, we're still worried about that today. Right now. There's two other documents. They are a lot more dicey. There's a second one that's the same date November twelfth, nineteen sixty three, and it's far more controversial. This is an alleged memo that JFK wrote to CI director John McCone requesting UFO intelligence. All right, and again people debate this heartily, Brent, They talk about it all the time. Its authenticity is very unproven, but there are more people willing to say this might have been the thing. And then there's a third one called the Burn Memo, which is another highly disputed document suggesting concern with intelligence circles about Kennedy's inquiries on this. And so you got these three memos, one of which is for sure real but isn't specific to UFOs, the second of which is ify but is about UFOs, and the third, which is even more iffy but is very specific about people within the intelligence community worried about JFK. And then I'll end with this. And then there's Marilyn Monroe. What well. The other unconfirmed part of the whole JFK UFO thing is people persistently believe that JFK shared something about UFO reality with Marilyn Monroe and that she was going to go public with it, and then she got killed in nineteen sixty two, I didn't even want to take that one on, Brent. That's too big for that's above my pay grade. But that is what people say from time to time. There's a lot to chew on. There.
Speaker 2: One other thing that I'd love to try and connect some dots here between Roswell and JFK is a character from history, not a fictional character, James Forrestall. Oh, yeah, he appears in the Roswell movie. But why don't you give us a quick overview on who he was in relationship to JFK. Potentially?
Speaker 1: Okay, JFK, as many people know, was in the Navy, and he went into the Navy in late forty one. I think between October of forty one and I believe something like February of forty two, he was actually being looked at by the Office of Naval Intelligence. Does that ring a bell?
Speaker 2: I've heard that somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then he ended up being the famous guy that was the skipper of Pt. One oh nine and that historic rescue and all of that. But there was this short window where Oh and I had their hooks in him for three months or so, and then the other part of it, to go to your forestall thing is James Forstall, which I'm going to let you do that. But James Forestall was someone who was a family friend of Joseph Kennedy and actually knew the Kennedy kids from an early age. So in the same way that Harrington was someone in your neighborhood or in your viewpoint who you knew, who was a lot older and was obviously a lot more wired into things.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the interesting thing about Forestall is, as I said, he was a character in the movie and he was appointed the i think Undersecretary of the Navy, as you mentioned, he was that from forty four to forty seven. He's also been linked though to Majestic twelve. According to the official version of history, though, Forestall was admitted to the Bethesden Naval Hospital in nineteen forty nine after experiencing a bit of a mental breakdown from exhaustion and some other stuff. A few weeks later, he apparently committed suicide, or so the official story goes. A bunch of people that spent time with him around then, including his chauffeur and his replacement for the as the Defense Secretary, found him acting in good spirits, very normal, as did his nurse at that time and his psychiatric doctor. For a guy who was going to kill himself, he gave off no signs at all that he was in distress, and in fact, everyone said he seemed to be getting better. One of the things that's interesting is that because it was a suicide, there was never an autopsy'd done on him, so any suspicious or murderous behavior was never going to come to the surface because there was no reason to think anything other than suicide. Now, one of the things that is interesting about how he killed himself is he apparently took a blanket or a sheet and jumped out his window and tried to hang himself, but it didn't work and he fell to his death. Several stories below, someone raised the question, well, but as a navy veteran, he would know how to tie a knot, and he wouldn't be so incompetent be able to figure out how to hang himself. But anyway, all of that being said, I guess the question just comes up. Okay, if it wasn't suicide, why would someone want him dead. It turns out he was writing some memoirs at the.
Speaker 1: Time, and that moment of him jumping out of the window is taken on and they take the position obviously that he wasn't suicidal, as you just mentioned. That's why, by the way, a lot of people you see it on X all the time, people will say, just so you know, I'm not feeling suicidal. I love my life, and if you hear anything other about me, you'll know it's not the real deal. Because people have controversially died, and Forrestall is the first one when that happened in forty nine, and people think he was all over this UFO issue after Roswell, that he was tied into Roswell, and then later Kennedy was tied into him. Of course.
Speaker 2: Now don't even get me started on the twelve scientists. By the way, all of them are linked to classified nuclear and aerospace projects who are all currently missing or dead, some by suicide allegedly.
Speaker 1: There's just a lot of connections here. I don't think we'll ever resolve it, Brent. That's the I think that's the problem with some of these things. We talk about them, and yeah, we can go back and forth on them, but can we solve them Unless there's a smoking gun memo that exists and that has been hidden successfully for eighty years, we aren't going to know for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think the other thing we can't know, which is frustrating, is going back to how we started the episode. What was it about our pilot that had JC say you got a lot right Now that we've gone down the rabbit hole on both these conspiracies, it seems to me that it must have had something to do with the combination of those two. As we said, that atom collider that we threw them both into, that was totally unique. At that time.
Speaker 1: Our take guarded with Roswell. We did say, let's take these two conspiracy theories put them together. But we started with Roswell and said, if you believe Roswell is a true event, and both of us did. At that time, we'd done the research and read some books and talked to some people, and we're relatively sure that you could make a strong case that Roswell was an anomalous event. Our take, though, was Roswell's real. If Roswell was real in nineteen forty seven, the national security state coming out of World War two would have had to treat it as a extremely important and be extremely worth keeping secret, to.
Speaker 2: The point that you would threaten the life of a thirteen year old girl.
Speaker 1: And possibly a president of the United United States. And so that's where we went with that whole thing. I've wrestled with this, to be quite honest, I have wrestled with this, as I'm sure you have for decades, where I've asked myself, were we really onto something or was it just coincidence and happenstance. Based on my lived experience with JC and with what I know today, I think we had a lot of things right besides just JFK and Roswell. For example, one of the things was the Navy's role in all of this, which it then goes back to Forestall and all that I think it was that That's what I think.
Speaker 2: I can't validate why JC said what he said. We didn't think to ask him. But what I can do is validate him in a really interesting way with regards to the formula. So we've talked about basically the two largest conspiracies from the twentieth century, and now let's move into the twenty first century and to something called CERN. And maybe before I get into the story, can you give us a quick recap on what CERN is.
Speaker 1: Oh God, I was afraid you'd ask me that, you know, my friend, if you were going to bring up CERN, then you have to do that, because I've run dry so far. So okay.
Speaker 2: So CERN was the largest particle phys laboratory in the world, located on what's called the Franco Swiss border near Geneva. It was established in nineteen fifty four. It uses advanced particle accelerators, including the Large Hadron Collider also called the LHC, to study the fundamental constituents of matter and the universe's structure. So big heady things they're doing there. The LHC and the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider or the RHIC have been the focus of multiple conspiracy theories because both colliders accelerate particles to near light speed before letting them smash into each other. These collisions create and show force interactions similar to what the universe was like the instant after the Big Bang. And if I'm not mistaken, are you saying that this is why people have speculated, and I underline and put in bold, speculate that somehow, when you turn on CERN, you are creating parallel universes and portal to different dimensions and all that absolutely, and there's people who believe, for various reasons, that we are not just opening portals to other dimensions, but that it's being used to summon demons, possibly even the Antichrist. Now obviously these are all just conspiracy theories, but this is out there, and I think the real concern, and interestingly to me, how this even connects back to Roswell and the nuclear bomb base, is that going back even further to the Manhattan Project. The Manhattan Project was essentially, as Don Schmidt implied, that whole area as we were looking for and trying to unlock our nuclear capabilities, was being visited by UFOs. It was the most visited area on the planet. Similarly, now today with the area of CERN, there's been tons of UFO reports. So it seems that every time we start meddling with the very fabric of nature, it brings UFOs. So this is an interesting connection between these two places. So you say, okay, well, wait a minute, how are you connecting CERN to the formula? Let me explain something.
Speaker 1: I am saying that by the way, as you said that, I'm saying, wait, how is he connecting CERN to the formula?
Speaker 2: So yes, okay, So if you remember, or if you listen to our first episode, JC, at the end of our meeting with him in the backyard of Bryce's house, scribbled out something on the back of an ATM deposit envelope and he folded it up and he handed it to me and he said, put this in a safety deposit box for about ten to fifteen years. Then if we don't make a deal, you'll know that I was for real. I did just that. I put it in a safety deposit box. There's a whole Keystone Cops situation about how it was moved from one box to another and it was almost lost. But during this time, initially I didn't realize it was lost. I thought I still had it somewhere in my possession. As we talked about the actual symbols on the envelope, what we call the formula, are inscrutable. They don't make any sense at first glance, and so I didn't really have anything to go off in terms of trying to validate this message, this cryptic message that he gave us. And as Brice said in ninety six, the Internet wasn't much of a thing. But as the Internet evolved over the next decade or so, I started on a fairly regular basis googling or searching at the time before Google even sound light and frequency, and I would do that trick where you would put those words in that order in quotations, so that the only search results I would get were ones that had those three words in that order. I didn't want something I wanted at all, and up until twenty twelve, I never got anything back. I never got any search results. Now, to clarify something, there is a quote attributed to Tesla that's similar, if you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration. But there's actually no official confirmation that Tesla or said that or wrote that, and it actually doesn't appear to have surfaced as an Internet meme until around twenty ten. Anyway, in twenty twelve, around fifteen years after The Dark Sky's premiere party, just as JC had predicted, I finally got a hit on my search for sound light and frequency and Bryce. Do you know where those search results came up? No, they came up with in reference to a white paper on cern oh Boy and the discovery of what's known then as the Higgs bosun or better known as the God particle, which is a key piece of the quantum puzzle in terms of understanding where all of matter comes from. So that article, which unfortunately is no longer online, was hosted on the cern CDs or the Official Document Server, and I should have at the time, I didn't know what would go away gotten a copy of it. But it was about what was called the Soification of the God particle. And just to explain that, that's basically where when the particles are collided in this huge underground facility. If you're interested in this, please go and do a deep dive on it. It's fascinating. Basically, it's this huge atom collider. The particles collide and every once in a while they create a new particle, and they finally created something called the Higgs bosson and it was of course being measured in every way you can imagine. And they captured the audio of that collision and they did a study of it and what was called the Soonification, and they took all of the raw data from that collision which revealed this key piece of the universe and it actually has a melodic pattern to it. So what we're talking about is essentially the soundtrack of Creation.
Speaker 1: So I say, this soundtrack on y Apple music or anything.
Speaker 2: It's online, you can find it. I think we could play a little sample of right here.
Speaker 1: Oh this is exciting. Okay, I'm ready. Excuse me, Brent, but WT Yeah, what am I listening to? Well, it's obviously a musicians interpretation of that raw data. So it was all of the sound frequency that came through had corresponding data to it, and when played as a musical scale, this is what it sounds like. So this wasn't actually what it sounded like, but this is what it looked like and how it was interpreted by musicians. What I find fascinating is that people have always said, you know, mathematics is the language of the universe, but music is mathematics, and so the idea that it's all tied together is just fascinating. You could say, well, oh, it's just a coincidence that this happened to make music notes, But when you think about it, the creation of a particle that seems to be a key element in understanding reality has its own musical signature. It implies a lot. I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it seems fantastic. The only thing that would be stranger is if it sounded like the five notes of Close Encounters.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, it isn't exactly on the level of John Williams, but if maybe if you give it to him and you let him turn it into something. Who knows?
Speaker 1: Has cern been turned on? Have we made a black hole? And are we all doomed?
Speaker 2: What is your thought of Well, similarly to the Manhattan Project, there were fears that they were going to kill us all right, trying to make a nuclear bomb. That didn't happen. Similarly, as far as we know, we are still all alive and living in reality, unless we're in an episode of Lost somehow. So I think that the real interesting thing to me is, let's go back to JC. Yeah, he gives us this piece of paper, tells us to put it away for ten to fifteen years, right in case we don't make a deal. Right, he wants to prove that he's for real. Wow, what a long tail on validation. Right, So what I have to ask, and I'm going to ask you, and I'm going to ask our listeners, how could JC in nineteen ninety six have given us a piece of paper with a phrase sound, light and frequency told us to put it away and that at that time, around fifteen years, we would have proof that he was for real. Does that How do you explain that he connected the dots somehow in ninety six to the discovery of the God particle, which proves basically the foundation of quantum physics. Is that just a coincidence? Maybe my head just exploded over that. I think it's still exploding. I don't have a good answer to that question right now, Brent, But I do have an answer to another question. People are asking if I can diverge long enough to talk about the formula, which I sometimes call the envelope because it was written on an envelope. People say, why don't you guys just put it out on the internet right now and we'll all take a look at it. And I think the answer is we're still investigating it, we're sharing it with people. We're trying to get our own act together about what we think it is. We're not hiding it. We're going to put it out there. Our plan, folks, is to do what we just did with those postcards, which if you go to our website you can look at them right now. They were out when the episode came out, and if you want to put something on your calendar, our plan right now is that on September seventeenth, we're going to do an episode of Sound Light and Frequency about the formula slash envelope. We're going to put it in that episode, we're going to put it on our website, and we're going to let everybody else take a crack at it. That sound about right, yes, and we're going to share the analysis we've collected from a number of people. And just in the intervening episodes, I want to say, as with this chapter in the subplot of the formula, there are ever more chapters to tell and I'm embracing you now. They get weirder. You're in for a wild ride.
Speaker 1: Sound Light and Frequency is an iHeart podcast produced by Stellar Productions. It's executive produced by Nick Johnson and for Stellar Jackie's Abel. Our show's music was written by Anna Stumpf and Hamilton Lighthouser, and your hosts and executive producers are Bryce Abel, That's Me and Brent Friedman. Watch the Skies