Speaker 1: Welcome to Bill and Juliana the Podcast. Welcome to Bill and Juliana the Podcast. And today we are tackling a really important question. Why is parenting so hard? So hard? So hard?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I have to say, this is a big episode. And here's the bottom line. Guys and a lot of the parents out there feel this way. We're more connected than ever, We're more informed than ever. Yet most of us are completely exhausted and confused. So are we doing too much? Are our kids just struggling more than like our generation did? Does modern parenting just come with a whole new set of challenges? So to help us make sense of all of it, we are joined now by someone that we is, you know, we feel is a very trusted expert for us.
Speaker 1: He's been very helpful for us, for our family.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you how we met actually, but we are joined by Mike McLeod. He's an expert in ADHD executive functioning in child development. He has spent more than twenty years helping kids.
Speaker 1: Speak of the devil, that's our son calling, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, do you see Mike? Okay, So he has spent more than twenty years helping kids and families thrive through his fabulous company called grow Now ADHD. And that's actually how I saw him on Instagram. I saw his Instagram.
Speaker 1: He's an all around great guy. Yes as well, So Mike, I'm really thrilled to have him here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here today.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. I'm so excited. I wish I was there in person.
Speaker 2: I know we wish you were here too. So Mike was supposed to be here with us in Chicago in our studio here, and unfortunately his flight got canceled from Philly last night. There was a storm, right, Mike.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was It seemed like it was a really bad storm, like a tornado watch and they I have the old delay delay, delay, and then finally canceled it.
Speaker 3: I waited as long as I could, but it just didn't happen.
Speaker 2: And you know what, you know, Mike is doing a great job when the parents love him and even the kid loves him. Because and let me tell you, Duke doesn't love you every day. I'm gonna be honest with you. You know, sometimes you push him too hard, he says, and you know it gets him out of his comfort zone. But that's where he grows. But I will say when he heard you were coming to Chicago and he was going to actually meet you in person, he was so excited, so excited. And then today when we told him that the flight got canceled, he was very sad.
Speaker 1: Mike, I wouldn't. I mean, it was bumped, bumped sad. Let's just go with the very sad, all right, We'll go with that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely a little hot and cold there.
Speaker 4: You can tell, uh, you know, if I'm going to keep pushing him, obviously he's gonna he's gonna get annoyed every now and then, and he.
Speaker 3: Needs he needs to hear how it is.
Speaker 4: Because that young man can do anything he sets his mind to, and he needs someone to remind him. And sometimes that can be a little frustrating.
Speaker 2: So I came across Mike's amazing work on Instagram, where I come across a lot of things. That's really why we started this show, right Phil, Because of Instagram and all the questions people have, and I saw Mike's videos started kind of they got in my algorithm. Mike, you got in my algorithm because I would always click on this stuff about parenting, especially with kids, because I was so confused, is my son you know, is executive functioning? What does that mean? It sounds like all these things people are saying about ADHD and executive functioning sounds a lot like my thirteen year old son. And so I started watching a lot of Mike's videos and then I think I DMed you initially, and then we chatted with you, and you've been amazing, you know, so many kids, as I'm sure you will confirm. You know, it seems like are just you know, our ADHD have have need work with executive functioning. So let's just hop in, well, let's start there.
Speaker 1: The numbers don't lie. And is it just that we're able to diagnose things better or has the world changed, And you know, are the numbers really growing or have they always been this bad? If you look at the rate of ADHD, the rate of autism, you know, all the things that are troubling our kids today, it's you know, it's ten x from where it was forty years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's really a mix of both overall. You know, we definitely have underdiagnosed in the past, especially with females, young girls. We're sort of you know, weren't that stereotypical hyperactive type much more? Uh, inattentive and more internalizing things. So we definitely underdiagnosed in females and girls. And I think now with you know, mom said it best as as she usually does, we're very, uh extra informed now and maybe we're a little.
Speaker 3: Too informed where, you know.
Speaker 4: I think now, especially with all the screens and this attention economy we're in, Uh, it's hard to find someone that doesn't think they have ADHD these days. Everyone's always like, oh, I think I have it because it's one of those like quirky little things. Uh, And all of our attention has taken a real shot. So I think it's a nice mix of overdiagnosing and underdiagnosing.
Speaker 3: I think it's a little bit bit of both.
Speaker 2: So Mike, from when you've started to today, I mean, I imagine the demand is tenfold, right, Like I imagine you must get so many people reaching out to you saying, my son, I think my son has this, my daughter has this? What do I do? Right? And I'm so curious what are the questions you get the most? Like what are a lot of parents feeling right now when it comes to their kids, especially let's say, I mean really any age kids, preteen, teen, young.
Speaker 4: Kids, everything pretty much today with parenting revolves around I need my kid to be more independent, because that's pretty much what we're dealing with right here, is we're dealing with a youth mental health crisis, a parenting crisis, and a lot of this is due to the lack of executive functioning skills, and these skills that are so crucial to being able to take charge of your own life, to execute, to notice and do, to not be so prompt dependent on the adults in your life, the parents, to be the executive functioning system for you. So so many of these kids just need prompt after prompt after prompt to get up in the morning and get to school on time, to set play dates and start hanging out with their friends, to get to bed on time, to do their homework, to do basic chores. Parents are just doing too much, and the mental load for you know, most often is one of the parents, or sometimes both of the parents, the absolute exhaustions. How many parents today, how many parents listening to this podcast right now, are the executive functioning system for their entire family, and they don't. They never get a chance to take their parenting hat off and just be themselves and hang out with their friends and follow their interests. So what we're dealing with right now is just how do I get my son to be able to do more and for me to do less? And that's all executive functioning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it really does feel like every parent is talking about this. You know, it's funny we're sending Duke to camp for the first time.
Speaker 1: Her your advice, Mike, that's right, helped kind of push that along, So thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of like, yeah, he does not want to go. He did not want to go. He's coming around more of it.
Speaker 1: Well, he started to realize it's not negotiable.
Speaker 2: Well, he started realizing things like, well, am I supposed to make my own bed? And I'm like yeah, and he's like uh and okay, and how will I eat? I'm like, you know, and what will I How am I going to function in this world? And it's interesting because for the reasons we're sending him to camp, or the reasons we're seeing why he needs camp is because he literally cannot do anything without a prompt from us. And are you saying that that's what you're seeing? I like how you said that, Like kids have to be prompted more than ever. And is that why something like camp is good for kids right and giving them those experiences.
Speaker 4: And that's exactly it, because how many parents today are operating under the constant mindset every second of every day. They're thinking in their mind, nothing gets done unless I step in, where the second you wake up, you know your kid's not going to do anything unless you're there, unless you're the audience. And we know how ADHD kids are with an audience. That's where that's and all the behaviors happen as they're getting that attention. So the parents are just stuck in this anxiety trap where they know that everything's going to fall apart unless I step in, take charge and take control here, which then I refer to this as the ADHD paradox, where the child basically has these executive functioning challenges, is very prompt dependent and instead of sort of figuring things out on their own, having multipled adults in their lives hold them accountable like we all had when we were kids. Now kids are spending more time at home with their parents than ever before, so the kid's very prompt dependent and the parent starts to think nothing gets done unless I step in and they unintentionally become a helicopter parent. They end up over prompting, which then stimulates their negative attention stimulation. They get lots of dopamine from negative attention and condoned and it just feeds into this vicious cycle. So you know, that's really what's happening is parents are stuck knowing that if I don't help, everything's going to fall apart. But the overhelping is making everything fall apart.
Speaker 1: I want, I want to just take a step back. You know, you've been doing this twenty years now. How did you get into it? Like explain to people because you were kind of, I guess a visionary. I mean you saw the road, you know that we were going down as a society. But just tell everyone kind of how you got into this and how you've become such an expert.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 4: So I always wanted to be a teacher, Like even when I was a young kid. I used to do tons of babysitting when I was a kid, and you know, working with different camps and different groups.
Speaker 3: So I always wanted to be a teacher.
Speaker 4: My mom was a very very decorated teacher over in Long Island where I grew up. So she taught at the same high school where she went as a student and then was there for decades and decades and was the head of her department, and she would tutor kids after school. So in the house I grew up, and they were kids coming in and out constantly, and she was tutor them for their SATs and their math regents exams and all those different things. So I went in to the School of Education for my undergrad and I eventually, you know, down the road, ended up working at this residential treatment facility in New York where kids lived full time on campus because they had such complex needs, and they also went to schools. They were pretty much never with their parents. They were always in this residential facility and I was able to work. I was one to one with a student and he started to receive speech and language therapy, and I realized, hey, I can work with students one on one on skills that actually improve their quality of life. It helps them, you know, interact with better. It makes them feel better about themselves. Instead of teaching them like math facts and the periodic table and things they'll never use, I can actually teach them things that make them feel good about themselves and improve.
Speaker 3: Their quality of life.
Speaker 4: So I went back to get my second bachelor's degree in speech and language pathology.
Speaker 3: So I was at speech and language pathologist.
Speaker 4: I moved from New York to Philadelphia, and during my first year as a speech pathologist, I was working with this great organization that worked with boys and girls with these different chromosomal disorders, and my supervisor wasn't a proxy a specialist, and I found out that all the majority of these kids also had ADHD, and I realized very quickly that there's really nothing out there that's actually moving the needle for these kids. They're being sent to all these talk therapies and counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy DBT social skills group, and nothing is helping them make friends outside of the group. Nothing's helping them go to college, nothing's helping them.
Speaker 3: Achieve their goals.
Speaker 4: And the parents are spending all these hours and all their money on these therapies and counseling and nothing's helping. So that's when I took a very huge deep dive with all those doctors and neuropsychs down in DC and Annapolis, Maryland, and I took a deep dive into the work of doctor Russell Barkley, who's the worldwide leader on ADHD, who just recently retired, doctor George McCloskey, Sarah Ward, Kristen Jacobson, it's the great pioneers in this field. And I developed the grow Now Internal Skills model. We did a year long research study on it down here and everything's expanded from there amazing.
Speaker 2: So let's start at the beginning. Explain first and foremost what is ADHD, or maybe I should say people know what it means, but what are some of the symptoms of ADHD, like what are some of the ways it manifests itself? And then also executive functioning.
Speaker 4: Of course, and that is a fantastic question because both of those things are so incredibly misunderstood, because, first of all, ADHD is not in attention disorder. It's not about attention, it's not about hyperactivity, it's not about inattentiveness. ADHD, and doctor rosso Barkley describes this better than anyone. ADHD is a developmental disorder of executive functioning skills. So there's a big a lot of discussion now of let's change ADHD to EFDD executive functioning developmental disorder that's really what it's all about. So ADHD is all about executive functioning. You can have executive functioning challenges and not have ADHD. Sure you can be depressed or have other primary diagnoses, but if you have ADHD, you struggle with executive functions period and executive functions are the most crucial set of skills for all human beings to develop, the greatest predictor of success for all human beings, Far greater than your grades, your homework, your good looks like you two, all those different things. It's all about executive functions. So you have to have your executive functioning skills to be able to live on your own, live independently, get a job, keep a job, make friends, keep friends, all of that.
Speaker 2: So what are some executive functions?
Speaker 4: Yep, So most people hear the term executive functions and they think time management, organization, messy backpacks, messy folders, and that is an incredibly that is the smallest possible fraction of what executive functions are. So I break down executive functions into the four pillars of internal skills. The first executive skill is self awareness, which is the very first executive skill to develop. Do you guys, know what age that starts? What age that develops self awareness?
Speaker 2: Self awareness?
Speaker 3: Three? Even younger, little tiny babies, little.
Speaker 4: Babies start to realize, hey, wait a second, when I cry, what happens?
Speaker 1: Huh? I get what I want?
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: Mom and dad come, They hold me, they sing to me. And you know when I smile in Mom's face, Mom smiles back. And they start to realize, hey, I have an effect over my world. I can actually do things that change the world around me. That's the beginning of self awareness, the first executive skill to develop, but over time becomes one of the most delayed. And that's the real heartbreak of ADHD, right around those middle school years when the lack of self awareness impacts them socially, so because that can really really impact them in a big way. And then the big one is self regulation, So the ability to regulate your emotions, your language, your body, your behavior in various environments towards various stimuli. So it's not hyperactivity, it's the inability to regulate your body. It's not in attentiveness, it's the inability to regulate your thoughts.
Speaker 3: But really, at its.
Speaker 4: Core, it is an emotional disregulation issue and doctor Russell Barkley talks about this all the time. As you look at the DSM, the Diagnostic Standards Manual of all the criteria to get diagnosed with ADHD, it doesn't talk about emotions, but ADHD is all about emotion management and emotion dysregulation.
Speaker 3: That's the core of it.
Speaker 4: And then of course self motivation towards non preferred tasks, non screen based tasks, new tasks like camp and things like that. Then self evaluation, the ability to learn from past experiences apply it to the present and not repeat mistakes over and over.
Speaker 3: So the lack of.
Speaker 4: Internal skills creates all those external symptoms we inappropriately focused on for far too long.
Speaker 2: So one thing that in working with Mike, I think Bill and I found very surprising, right about the whole kind of about executive functioning ADHD, is when you have a kid who needs to strengthen his executive functioning has some ADHD, you find that they have these big feelings and big emotions. You hear about this with kids, and they have these big feelings, big emotions, high highs, low lows, and as a parent, you can't help but come to the rescue of those big feelings and emotions, and Mike says, that's what you should not be doing. What parents do and what we think is our job is to like talk to them about these emotions, reason with them, and spend hours and you hear that. That's one of I think, Mike, one of the reasons a lot of these parents are so exhausted, and I probably learned this from you, is because we're just all it feels like all day, we're just like talking through this these like emotions, and a lot of them are repetitive, right, like they like like you think that you solved it two days ago, and then it comes up again. And so Bill and I thought like, oh my gosh, you know, are we failing as parents? Are we not good parents? Are we not listening enough? Are we not giving him the right solutions? All this stuff? And then we go to Mike and Mike goes, well, I'll let you talk Mike. But Mike basically was like, hey, guys, no, no, no, you need to back off. He knows exactly what he's doing. So our son falls within these guidelines of ADHD's. He's he uses a lot of these like big emotions in this whole self awareness. When about self awareness, our son is very self aware of what he can get are so, So, Mike, talk a little bit about kind of when you hear parents come to and they go, my gosh, you know, I do everything I can. I talk to my kid, I do everything I can. What is kind of your first reaction when.
Speaker 1: Your strategy, because you have a you gave us great advice and I'd love for you to share that with the people at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: First of all, one of my favorite things about working with Duke is talking to him first and then talking to the two of you. I feel like I'm in like a time portal of like talking to the younger version.
Speaker 3: And the older version. It's like it's the coolest thing ever seeing the similarities and like.
Speaker 4: It's just it's such a you guys have such a close knit, beautiful family. It's the coolest thing ever. But but just just overall, that's that's exactly what it is is. You know, we are treating kids, and Jonathan Hyde talks about this, the author of The The Anxious Generation, a super popular book. We're treating kids as if they are fragile, and that's exactly what social media is doing here is we have to realize a lot of these parenting gurus that are hitting your algorithm are parenting influencers, And what are the videos that are going and the reals that are going to get the most likes, shares and follows, the ones that speak to your parenting hearts and pull out your parenting heart strings. You know, the best advice we get in life and that helps us in our career, our relationships, parenting. The best advice isn't advice that's easy to hear, like do you want help or do you want to hug? Like do you want the real truth? Or are you looking to have your kid in therapy for years and years and years and years? Like therapy is a trillion dollar industry in this country, and counseling and all these different things. You know, we have to be brutally honest with parents about screen time and negative attention seeking and allowing our kids to experience life and experience consequences. You know, we talk about these huge emotions, but who's the one seeing, Like, who's the one seeing these big emotions? Is it the people at school or is it the parents?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So with us, Mike, as you know, it's interesting, like I said that he's right. So Mike. One thing he always points out about. We'll tell him something like an interaction, right, a conversation we had with Duke where he had big emotions and it was exhausting for all of us. And then Michael say, but how was he at school that day? How was he at school the next day? And We're like perfect angel, and he goes okay. And so what Mike is basically saying is like, you have to start differentiating his behavior at home with the two of you who are constantly giving him what he wants based on his behavior. As opposed to the outside world. He acts very differently because he's like, it's not going to work out there. This isn't going to work out in the real world, but it works at home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And sometimes I refer to it as like proximity based ADHD, and I've discussed it with both of you before. Is every step Duke takes away from you, guys, you can basically just add.
Speaker 3: A point to his maturity and his behavior. That's exactly it.
Speaker 4: And everyone associates ADHD with school and studying and grades, but it's the home. It's the parents that always get the worst of the behaviors. It's not a school based problem. It's a home based issue because that black and white, very rigid ADHD brain of this is good, this is bad, this is fun, this is stupid, has a very hard time comprehending this concept of unconditional love. The most you know, the most gray area thing there possibly is. So the only unconditional relationships they have is mom and dad. So in their mind, it's, you know, here is this person that I could say basically unspeakable things to. I can say no to every single thing they asked me to do, and they're still going to tuck me in at night and give me the Wi Fi password and do this and do that. They have a very hard time comprehending unconditional love in an unstructured environment.
Speaker 3: Then they go to school and it's structured.
Speaker 4: It's they know what to expect, but it's also filled with conditional relations and chips and they respond really well to that.
Speaker 3: And if they can do it at school, they can do it at home.
Speaker 1: You once said, you know, it's oftentimes a parenting problem, and not that they're neglecting their kids, but that the parents aren't coached. Right, So how much of your job is coaching the parents? Because it's you know, when parents react a certain way, they're putting fuel on the fire, right, and they're perpetuating these behaviors and everything that's happening with their children. So you know, is it more the parents or is it the kid? Like chicken or egg?
Speaker 4: The number one most evidence based treatment for kids and teens nineteen years in below the most science, the most research that shows the most progress for ADHD and executive dysfunction is parent training. There's nothing has more research to back it up. It is always parent behavior training, and that's where you see the majority of the progress because so many parents just get stuck of why won't my child just do the task? Why won't they just do what I asked them to do. Let's reframe that a little bit. Instead of saying why won't they do the task? What are they doing instead of the task? Are screens available to them? Every day I have a conversation, why won't my son do his chores? Why won't he go out with friends? Why won't he do his homework? What's he doing instead? Oh, he's on his phone. Well, there you go, he's going to do that? And then is conflict available to them? Are they able to get dopamine through conflict, What is the environment happening, what's how can how can we best you know, train these individuals. That's why I titled my book the Executive Functioning Playbook, because parents needed a true playbook on how to best deal and best parent these kids, because you can't really go off of your parenting instincts when there is this executive dysfunction.
Speaker 1: So if parents read that book, you feel that they'll be armed for warfare so to speak.
Speaker 3: Ready to go, Okay, good, So.
Speaker 1: We're going to we're going to read that. We're going Julianna going to vacation. Well, he's on a camp. We're going to read that then cover to cover, yes, and hopefully we're going to come back.
Speaker 2: But I did start reading it and then I agree, I think we have to read it together as a couple. And then also there's a workbook that goes with it as well. Might that you also get the workbook. I have the workbook I got on Amazon, and yeah, no, it's great because I agree your parents' parent training is so essential, which we discovered Mike.
Speaker 1: One of the things that we love to do on the on Bill and julian of the podcast is debunk a lot of the myths that are on Instagram reels and TikTok and all this. And I see so much about give your kid. What's that one thing we tried it? Oh the herb or whatever that you're.
Speaker 2: Giving saffron doing it too. I'm taking it too.
Speaker 1: Oh how important is diet and and all these supplements and detox this and heavy metals that and blah blah. I mean, like, I don't my head spins because everyone is an expert on the internet.
Speaker 4: You got you got that right, so die, It's important for everybody's Like you want to live your to your optimal stage of development in life. Diet is very very important process. Foods are going to negatively impact everyone. But at the end of the day, ADHD is brain based. ADHD is something is genetic. You are most often born with it. There's a lot of talk about the elimination diet and all these different things. There's very very little research, like real, true, peer reviewed research to back up any of these supplements or elimination or anything like that. At the end of the day, executive function is strengthened through varied experiences and interpersonal relationships. There is nothing arc ADHD kids and teens more than doing different things every single day, going outside and playing in nature, exercise and having real face to face experiences. It's not a coincidence that we're seeing all that we're seeing ADHD diagnoses skyrocketing. We're in the middle of this horrible youth mental health crisis. We just saw Meta and everyone on trial. We just saw all these different things, you know, in this era of screens, when you know the real issue with screens is they keep kids indoors. You know, back in the day, you used to come home from school, get on your bike and you know, be home by dinner time and make it there without a GPS and just you know, be home when the street lights come on and figure it out. No no air tag in your shoe, no life three sixty, none of those things is figure it out and come home. And we would just we were bored a lot. And what do you do when your board? We use our imagination what's a fancy term for your imagination? Executive functions, the ability to make mental movies and imagine things and work towards those images. So back in the day, kids played, they went outside, They had tons of social interactions every day, they did things they didn't want to do it.
Speaker 3: It's those are the things that are going to build.
Speaker 4: Grit and resilience and self regulation and self soothing. So like, people are always looking for that quick fix, and you can't blame them.
Speaker 3: We live in an instant gratification society now.
Speaker 1: So our son eating a bowl of cinnamon Toa's crunch every night before it goes to bed is okay, There's.
Speaker 3: There's other options. I would I would prefer their mama the pandy please.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, I love your way to name that. Parents want to be their kid's best friend, right well, and I think that's a problem. Perfect They want to be the cool parents. Yes, they want to be the you know, like I'm I'm cool, right yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's what social media is doing.
Speaker 4: It's the the immense pressure on parents from all these parenting gurus. It's not normal to pick up your phone twenty times a day and every time you open Instagram it's another parenting person yelling at you about this concept of.
Speaker 3: The perfect parent.
Speaker 4: You know, parenting is always has always been that phenomenon of the more work you put in, it actually gets kind of kind of harder. It's always that thing like like, let's talk about this right now, both of you. You know, very successful, you uh many many goals reached. You've accomplished many goals and done many great things. Parenting's probably number one on the list in terms of hardest things you've ever done.
Speaker 1: Correct, not even a question there you go.
Speaker 4: So, of all the things you've done, all the different jars you've reached out to, parenting is the number one thing that has been the most difficult thing. And that's what it is. So it's not about you know who you are, whatever it is. Raising a human being is an imperfect science. And the more we push this concept of the perfect parent on parents, we're creating parenting burnout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there is parenting burnout.
Speaker 4: The number one tip doctor Russell Barkley talks about this everything is use ninety percent less language. Language makes dysregulation worse. The more you talk, expect bigger behaviors.
Speaker 3: Talking, talking, talking.
Speaker 4: We all watched a little too much Full House growing up with all those heart to hearts with Bob Saggett on the end of the bed and all the talking and the talking.
Speaker 3: That's not going to work with today's generation. The talking. The examples of this that all of that. I had a video I was.
Speaker 4: Very powerful a couple of months ago about hey, it's time we bring back because I said so like our parents said it, we accepted it, we moved on. Some things don't need an explanation, you know, Dad said it earlier. Everyone's trying to be their kid's best friend now, and that's because of all the parenting pressures. And you see videos of inside people's homes and all these different things. So and parents are being taught that all of these emotions are their responsibility. If my kids says I don't like you, or gets angry or gets upset or gets anxious, it's my responsibility to fix those emotions. And when you make it your responsibility to ease your kid's emotions, how are they ever going to learn to do that on their own? You know, the rule of all of parenting is, let's give this kid the skills because eventually I'm not going to be there to help them, and we forget.
Speaker 3: That sometimes that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 4: So, so we need to realize, you know, not everything needs an explanation. Not everything needs all these words words words.
Speaker 2: So less words. Mike really, Mike really taught Bill and I that that. I think that especially Bill, because Bill is such an amazing dad. He's like Duke is like, loves him so much. He's just the greatest dad to Duke. And so what Duke does is when Duke wants something, he goes to Bill. But it doesn't just like hey, It's not like hey, Dad, I would like this new Pokemon card. It's very like, Oh, I'm having the worst day I buy life. What's wrong, Duke? Oh my god, Dad, I don't know. I'm just down. Oh my god, Oh my god. How can I save you? Let me rescue Oh my god? What could I do?
Speaker 1: Duke?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about if I just had a Pokemon card, I'd feel so much better. Okay, Duke, That's all it takes is a Pokemon card. I'll give you the Pokemon card. It's like this continuous you know, but it comes from blas Like. It's not just Duke asking us.
Speaker 4: His self awareness. His self awareness is off the chart, off the charts.
Speaker 2: Meaning he has learned how to push push our buttons, how to create this huge dramatic thing to get it, and he tricks us so much of the time because at the end we go, oh my god, we just got.
Speaker 1: He just played us, We just got.
Speaker 2: He did all of that and made it like this whole emotional thing that and really at the end of the day, he was just trying to get from A to B. He was just trying to get us to agree to something that we had not agree to it.
Speaker 1: He's able to play chess. We're playing checkers. He's playing chess.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so it's kind of fascinating. So what Mike always tells us, you guys, and if your kids like this too, and this is resonating. He says, what we do and I do this better than Bill because we know we've talked about this right with Mike and and and I've tried to get even better at this. But it's like less words. Mike is so right, Like I am very much like a less words person in life, Like, oh, I know I talk.
Speaker 1: A lot on this pod, said no one ever this podcast literally so shy.
Speaker 2: I never speak. I'm very much like I'm like my parents, you know, I'm very much no Triana, no like just no, I'm like that with Duke, like Ducal come in, I'm like, no, Duke, not getting it. Sorry, And he gets and gets all mad with Bill. It's like, and I go, Bill, why are you? Why are you using all these words? Stop talking to him for an hour about this. He's just playing you and trying to get what he wants. No, but I think he's really upset, right, Mike, Like that's where parents their heart starts, like they're like, what if my kid is actually really upset and something's going on, and then you feel like you're being cold to them.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, right, that will save this for the next episode.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking.
Speaker 4: I want to know this young man is an absolute genius. That's exactly what it is he has. He has the gift of gab, the gift of charm. He has both. He has the good positive qualities of both of you in a thirteen year old's body.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: Like he lights up a room, he knows exactly what it is, he knows exactly what he's doing, and everything is about attention and an audience. He knows to make it seem like he wants a material good or a thing or an event, but it's looking for the audience. It's looking for that attention. So whether it's sympathy seeking or negative attention seeking or whatever, it may be it's to just have an audience to have those things there, like that old saying of if a tree falls in the woods and no one's around to hear, it doesn't make a sound. If mom and dad aren't in the same room, is there a behavior? And that's exactly it. So like when you see this young man going to all these different places, and parents need to think about this too.
Speaker 3: Like so many.
Speaker 4: Parents will call the school and describe their kid at home, and the school's like, are we.
Speaker 3: Talking about the same kid here? Like he's an angel here? What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: And then the parents describe at home and it's like really really scary things because these kids know that if it stays a secret of the home and there's no coach, teacher, social worker, taekwondo master, whatever it may be to hold them accountable and talk them about it, then they're just going to keep getting away with it because it works. It's just to do what works, and if getting negative, negative attention works, they're going to do it. It's the same thing as opening a cupboard and seeing a treat and needing it.
Speaker 3: They do what works, and it works.
Speaker 1: Mike, thank you so much for your time. This is great. We're going to have you in person. If people want to get your book, where can they go get your book?
Speaker 3: So the book is available everywhere.
Speaker 4: You can find it on Amazon, the Executive Functioning Playbook, and the Executive Functioning Playbook and Action Barnes and Nobles, Amazon, wherever books are sold.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check it out. And then also follow him on Instagram brow now adhd. That's how I found him on Instagram and he's amazing and you post videos all the time better. Yeah, And then of course you can reach out to him, DM him or go on his website. And you can.
Speaker 1: Also if we want him busy but not too busy session book a.
Speaker 2: Session for yourself. I have recommended my friends to him. We do zoom.
Speaker 1: We don't forget about us, Mike when.
Speaker 2: You're we do zooms. We do zooms with him and it's very very effective. Sometimes we break down the zoom. It'll be like forty five minutes Duke will do and then fifteen minutes us at the end, or thirty minutes, thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: Which we're going to do more parent coaching.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, we need more parent coaching.
Speaker 4: We are Yeah, you guys need to do more and more of these parenting episodes, like the two of you are like obviously like parenting is a stressful thing, but the two of you are just such incredible parents. The more that you two talk about your parenting experiences, I think I think the two of you doing more parenting episodes is what's going to cure this parenting burnout.
Speaker 1: Christ It's a work in progress. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: We're honest about it. We're not acting like we know what we're doing. So Mike, you're the best. Thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: We'll see in Chicago this fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Wait, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, thank you, Mike.
Speaker 2: Thanks Mike. Thanks everyone,