Speaker 1: Good by.
Speaker 2: Times.
Speaker 1: Say your league records bring.
Speaker 2: We will sue you to.
Speaker 1: The corner.
Speaker 2: Welcome hang out, Welcome back to the Just Baseball Show. We are live on a Friday here arm lighton Ryan Finkelstein. We've got some fun topics today because Kate Anderson finally called up for the Mariners. We're gonna talk about just how rare the season that he is having right now in the minor leagues, and how exciting the debut is for the Mariners, and what does this mean about the Mariner's rotation moving forward. They've maybe handled the deadline differently. We're going to talk about that worst contracts in Baseball, something that we're working on at just baseball dot Com. I know Ryan's writing it up. Very excited to get into that. That's always a fun conversation. And then we're going to wrap with Games of the weekend, talk about some of our predictions how we think things shake out, because there's some wild card implications. But think I started to doubt that we were going to see kan Anderson at all this year, and in the fact that it comes in now, it was kind of now or never. If I feel like if it was in the next week or so. There's a lot of implications. We'll talk about it. But where were you at Did you think it was actually going to end up happening this year?
Speaker 1: Their rotations so full that I didn't expect it, right, It's just they were already rocking the six man rotation prior to the deadline, and then they clear up the guy that I didn't think they were going to be able to trade, Lewise Castillo. So the fact that they traded Castillo kept all the young guys, it's like, all right, I guess they don't need to bring Kate up this year, but try to fight a spark at this point right the way he's pitching, it makes sense to pull the trigger now, try to just find something.
Speaker 2: And the slight devil's advocate like of like maybe he might not maybe it may not happen. Was one the team you know, just continues to not play very well. They're eight games under five hundred at this point and still only four games out of the division, and of course the wild card is always an opportunity for everybody there. And on top of that, you know this team, you still you just sit there and say, well, why can't they have a hot couple of weeks, you know, why can't things happen? But the people what made it maybe a little bit uncertain as to whether we'd see him as he's not he doesn't need to be added to the forty man anytime soon in terms of Rule five, right, he was just drafted in twenty twenty five, and if you add him to the forty and you don't make the playoffs or whatever it may be. Remember, when we're locked out here in the offseason, you can no longer have contact with Kate Anderson. So that does impact his development some. But I'm basically having an argument with myself here what other development is there to be had with Kate Anderson. We're going to talk about that, like he's like, looks like a finished product already with what he's been doing in Double A. But that was one, you know, fair argument, and something that is impacting September call ups across the game is going to be you know, hey, if this guy isn't Rule five eligible at the end of the year, do I want to impede my ability to have contact with him if and when we're locked out through the offseason and if it goes into February, like you'll be able to have contact with your minor leaguers, get them on their off season regiment you need, you know, get them ready to go in spring training, and have everything normal with those guys. Unless you add them to the forty prematurely, then you don't have as much impact on your prospects.
Speaker 1: That's insane. I didn't even think that this's the like a really deep cut on what's going on right now on how teams are thinking about this. I almost wonder if you're the I guess to answer this question is if you can get to the big leagues, who cares? But you almost wonder for a prospect, like would you rather be in contact with your organization to be ready for like a full rookie season the next year, or you just want to get to the show. Obviously still it's still making your debut. I guess that that Trump's all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I would say, you know, it's fine, Oh wait, my boss can't talk to me for for a few months, and I'll just go. All these guys have their own training regimen, especially like a Caana Anderson, right, Like, these are all the guys that are close to the big leagues, So like we're going to talk about some other September call ups, like candidates, and this is weighed into why I think certain guys could or could not be added, and like what what are the Mariners need to tell Caid this offseason that he doesn't know? You know, like I think about that, even like with Walker Jenkins with the twins, even though I think he'd be Rule five eligible, but like for the sake of argument, the only thing that Walker Jenkins needs is to stay healthy. And so maybe there's something with the training group or whatever to on that side of things. But ultimately, you know, I think most of those guys that are close to big league ready, I'm sure they'd like to have contact with some of their resources. Maybe it's different organization by organization. You know, if I'm a Brewers prospect, I'd probably love to still have contact with my guys over there. Dodgers, I'm I'm sure same thing. But I imagine a lot of organizations. These players like they've kind of got things taken care of on their own and they have their own system, but for the teams, it's a little bit different. They still want to be able to implement, keep up with what's going on and you know, be able to tweak some things maybe in spring training and work with them so uh and know what they have. But with Caid specifically, this is a guy that I mean, Kate Anderson is as polished of a pitching prospect as we have ever seen in his first full professional season, and what he's done this year, I think is maybe one of the best minor league seasons we've ever seen. Forget that this is first minor league season, but just period how dominant he's been. Because there's so much context to it too. They throw Kate Anderson straight into Double A and it's a Double A Texas League where he's put up ninety three to the thirds innings, He's pitched to a one point zero sixty RA. He has struck out one hundred and thirty five batters and walked thirteen on his way to a point sixty four win. The crazy part about this, on top of the fact that the surface level numbers are absolutely ridiculous, is something I've talked about ad nauseum on the call up think is the ball is flying in the minor leagues. You talk to guys around the minor leagues, they'll tell you there's something different with the baseball. It's just flying at a different level. And you see that through the OPS numbers, the home run numbers across minor league baseball, and even see it in the Texas League, where offense is always a little bit high. The average ERA in the Texas League is five point four, but at the same time you also it's like five. But at the same time you also have OPS up sixty points in this league because of the way the ball is flying. Some other leagues have the OPS numbers up even more. And in a year where it's inflated offense across the board, you have Kate Anderson putting up the only season we've ever really seen, at least in the last decade. I can look at right now where we've seen ninety plus innings at an ERA below one point three. That to me is just mind blowing. And when you pair it with the fact that offense is really off the charts this year in a lot of these different leagues, basically every minor league league aside from Triple A where they use the big league ball, it's pretty crazy and makes it easy to understand why the Mariners feel like this guy can maybe help them even if you can only throw every fifth day, give them a shot in the arm that they need right now.
Speaker 1: Well, clearly that's incredible outlier stuff when you're talking about his ERA being four and a half runs better than league average. Yes, obviously come to the big leagues. Don't expect him to pitch you an ERA in the low ones. But it feels like, you know, especially when you're talking about a pitching prospect, there's a pretty good chance, especially when the book's not fully out on these guys, that they're going to translate early. Like it's easier to imagine the top pitching prospect coming up and giving you a shot in the arm than the top hitting prospect coming up and lifting a lineup. So for the Mariners right now, get anything you can, because, like you said, honestly, one thing that I had a side aside him before and you mentioned the wildcard race or the division I was curious, like, which is the easier path for them? And right now the wildcard is a little bit closer, but it's four games back in the division, three games back in the wildcard. So yeah, he kind of had two cracks at it, because the wildcard can get away from you and the division could actually still be in reach. So you know, add a great player to your team, the best that you can that's going to translate, and obviously it seems like he's going to translate pretty pretty comfortably.
Speaker 2: The other party, you brought up a thought in my mind where it's like the book's not out really yet, Like you know, hitters are going to be getting their first look at him. Even if you get like the game plan, I just don't know what it would be, because what's Mae kan Anderson so much better than everybody else that he's faced in the minor leagues is that he can go to anything whenever he wants. Like the fastball average is ninety four, but it's got great carry to it, so that really sets the tone. But then he's got a slider, a change up in a curveball, all of which he's landing for a strike at a high clip, especially the slider and the change up seventy percent strike right on those pitches that he will go to in any count, Like it looks like sometimes he's just throwing like a stand in bullpen where oh oh, he flips in a curve ball and guys like man and then and then oh, one flipping in a change up, and then they'll blow the fastball by you. And then next that bat hole completely flip the script and go fastball, fastball, fastball, So like you're just completely in a blender. There's no like sequence that you can start to pick up on with Kid because he has so much confidence in every single offering. And yeah, the Texas League is five flat this year, and and you're seeing five point four runs per game, and the fact that you know you're getting Kid pitching to a one point zero six is just crazy crazy stuff. Again where across the minor league, the league's home runs in particular are up big time, big time in Texas. The Texas League is always a tough place. It's it puts me into a thought in tough place for pitchers, it puts me into a thought. Though. Here good the Mariners have moved another arm because remember Louis Castillo. Great, you got off of that contract. That was a good trade, right, you get Sir Anthony de Mnguez in kind of this bad contract swap. But Sir Anthony is a little bit more useful for you, probably given the depth that they have, given the way that Emerson Hancock is thrown. But remember there was a point where there were reports out there from very credible people saying that Emerson Hancock was very likely to be moved to the deadline. Maybe that was under the presumption that you wouldn't end up moving Louis Castillo. But I think about it from this lens, like clear the Mariners are focused on making the playoffs here, and you've got a lot of people that are trying to keep their jobs, I think from top to bottom. However, just for organizational health standpoint, I think they could have traded one of these starters to actually get a prospect return here and then plug Kate Smith, right, and you also have Ryan Sloan for depth too, and that would be a little bit more of like a bold move. And also I think that would be another move where it's like, Okay, that is a guy I would love to have contact with through spring training and stuff like that. But I don't know. I think about it in a situation where if the Mariners don't turn things around in the next few weeks, they're not going to make the playoffs and they will have now lost out on an opportunity to cash in on, you know, an Emerson Hancock, who probably the most likely to be moved there for a huge Hall and then of course they could go make that trade later. But I just wonder if it'll be the same Hall, especially with all the stuff that we're going to have going on the off season. I just wonder if they should have moved them. I'm curious where you stand on that.
Speaker 1: I think the reason why you kept that rotation together is because you figure that is your strength and if you are able to, you know, sneak your way in, that's what could allow you to actually go on a run. So I get it to some respect. But also when you see what the Blue Jay's got for Jose Soreano, you know, what would you have gotten for Hancock? What would you have got for George Kirby? And you know you don't have all these guys forever. Like Handcock, you actually have a lot of control over I think Kirby's like two more years after this season. So considering what you had coming and the ability to still have five six ers who are young under control, even if you traded one, you know, especially since they haven't done great coming out of the deadline, it makes it look worse. Right if the Mariners came out of the out of the deadline and they won a bunch of games, and they're signing the playoff spot right now, we're not questioning as much. But now as you're looking at it at a season where it might actually be a kind of a lost year for you and you're trying to get next year you're not gonna get, you wouldn't think the same value for those pitchers this offseason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's that's where I just I go back and forth. I know you also don't want to signify to your team that you're very much trying to invest in right now to uh, you know, you're you're subtracting pieces there. But if it would ever be the most palatable swap maybe in the history of like selling moves to to convince a team that you're not fully selling, is ye removing a starting pitcher for a good return and then plugging in the most dominant minor league pitch prospect that we've seen in decades. That would probably work. And just another number that Podcast p pointed out here, So we have ERA A minus in the minor leagues, which basically works like a reverse WRC plus. So like the lower the number the better, and you know the gap would be, you know, how much better you are than league average. Caen Anderson's eer A minus is twenty four, like two thousand's Pedro was thirty five, which I think is crazy, absolutely crazy to think about just how much better. And it's kind of similar like Pedro throwing through the steroid era where everybody's dras were just you know, ballooned. This season in the minor leagues has almost been like the steroid era, Like there's been jokes it's like there's something wrong with the ball where every player is on steroids. It's been like the joke about it because of how much offense we've seen through the minor leagues, and like, yeah, they got Boston Smith. It's a good point by ten toes down in the last casto tre Boston Smith has had a really nice year. I don't know if that's a franchise altering prospect or a guy that you're like shark being into your plans. Was a nice get in a bad contract swap there with Wiscus TiO, But I think about what they could have gotten for some of these other starters, and it becomes, you know, it just becomes interesting to think about because now you've got Kate on the forty and you're gonna still often now create space going into next year anyways, and how they go about that will be interesting to find out, especially with Ryan Swoan on his heels as well. Do you have any other thoughts on the Mariners, Like Kate is going to give them a little bit of life here one left e in the rotation, I'm gonna be I'm interested to see how they navigate that too, because you know they still have five bodies in there. But at the end of the day, it's the offense, right, I mean, like the Kate. Even if Kate throws a perfect game every fifth day or sixth I don't know how that's going to work. They still have a lot of other things they have to sort out well.
Speaker 1: And that would have been the other thing too, had you made a trade where you got a bad back with control that was close to Bigley Ready or a big like it kind of felt like Hancock would have been the perfect big leaguer for big leaguer type trade. Now we don't know what was out there, what was on the table, and they might have just not gotten any good offers. And there might have even been around the league maybe some kind of like eyebrows raised of well, why do you want to trade the guy with that much control a Hancock, Like are you not buying into the breakout season? And maybe they just didn't get great offers there and if that's the case, we can't really judge him. I guess the one other thing that came to mind as you were talking this through is like the notion of you could have called Kate Anderson up after making the trade, Like nothing has changed right for Kate Anderson in the last two and a half weeks. That makes it different to promote him now than promoting him on August fourth, Right.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing that's changed is that some of the other guys are not throwing the way that they want them to, right, Like Brian wu gets to start pushback, and and Bryce Miller has, you know, not been as good as he has as he was at the start of the season. Like that's the biggest thing that's changed at Kate Anderson's the same exact guy, And I think Miller's struggles have been the biggest reason why You'll get five earned runs last time out five and runs before that, four before that, and then you go two starts further back, another five earned run outing there. So it's just that's been I think the biggest thing. And I get it though, because when you were going into the end of July, you started to see Bryce Moore slowing down. But remember when he first came back, he was dominating, you know, with the best of them. So I think they wanted a little bit more clarity there. It's tough spot. I don't envy, you know, with the Poto and company have had to kind of work with their because I do think they put together a pretty good roster. Just shit hit the fan dude, like who would have thought?
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I thought the Brendan Donovan trade was good. It has not. He has not been as available as you'd want. He's only had one hundred fifty fur play appearances year. He's been good when he's been on the field. I thought bringing back Josh Naylor was great. He's been very whatever. You know, cal Rawley has had the most mind blowing follow up to an MVP caliber season that we can remember. And and then this rotation, which is like you could you feel like you could just put your head on the pillow and sleep soundly like you put together, You've you've cultivated this dream rotation and even Everson Hancock is breaking out like what could go wrong? But it just seems like every time one guy gets hot, two other guys slow down, and this rotation just can't quite cook together at the same time. And then Munios. It just feels like a parlay of misfortune. Which speaking of this episode, I didn't say on the top of Protea by BENMGM, use code just baseball, you get your bonus bet back. I'm not doing this very often. I'm I'm I'm not the guy for this, but you get up to fifteen hundred back in bonus bets if you use code just Baseball. Check that out. Peter's throwing out football bets all that good stuff. Man, I butchered that. Sorry to the folks at MGM if they saw that, Uh, you.
Speaker 1: Don't run what else? Man? It's okay. You're you know, you're, you're, you're you're a two guard. We know this, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm a volume shooter. I'm not dishing it out too much. But usually when Peter, when Peter's ripping that read, I am up all of my tabs trying to figure out how I can organize all of my notes. But just so you know, it's code just baseball, and you can get all of your first bet back in bonus bets there with bet MGM. I think a lot of people to that point. Actually, Peter pointed this out at the start of the year had Mariners to win the division. So if you use that code, at least a lot of people will be getting that back in bonus bets because that was I think one of the most popular bets of the year because it was obvious they were so good on the surface. Any final thoughts on the Mariners before we transition into other quick potential September call ups.
Speaker 1: Final thoughts is, if you made that bet before the season, it's not over. It's four games back. Like the Mariners can string together two good weeks of baseball, Kyle Rally can remember how to hit, and all of a sudden they could be right back in it because it's still there for them. With how just wide open the America theye is But that no other final thoughts for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Jeremy Pania banged up again and he's such a big part for the astros who every time it seems like they're separating themselves, you look again and they're right back at five hundred. That's going to be open, I think, the rest of the year. So it's going to be interesting. There some other quick just notes on September call ups, I mentioned Walker Jenkins. I think Walker Jenkins is probably another good candidate to potentially get up there. I'm just curious. It'll depend on kind of need and how they want to go about things. But the Twins are another team that's very much in it, and if they feel like Walker can help them, like he's a guy that I believe will need to be added to the forty man roster anyways at the end of the year. So he's healthy, he's hitting the ball harder than ever, and I just feel like that's a guy that for the Twins. If he's right, you know that the power, speed, back to ball combination all three outfield spots could be a really useful addition for them. But I wouldn't look at outfield right now and say that's where the Twins necessarily need some immediate help. I just think, no matter what, when it's all hands on deck, it's probably a guy that they could end up bringing up and helping them well.
Speaker 1: With Kate Anderson coming up. Were within the final like fifty days of the season, right where the service time you're everyone's gonna So yeah, now it's now any everybody's in play, especially for these teams, and there's there's so many teams that are in it that this is where there's no deadline, there's no more trades. You're not going to find anything else, like this is the chance here to say, you know what, let's call up this prospect it doesn't hurt us, and try to see if it puts us over the top. You know, last year, this is where where I was talking to myself in a Noel McLain's starting game one of a playoff series because of how bad the Mets were. But you know, when you're when you're in that position, this is where you can find a little bit of hope.
Speaker 2: And actually, Walker Jenkins roll five eligible December of twenty seven, so this would be a early like put a guy onto your forty man and and deal with it situation. But I mean, the Twins are very focused on making the playoffs and that's why I think, you know, he could be a candidate there. That's kind of gonna be the theme with the two other guys that I think could be call ups as well, Ethan Solid. So our Top one hundred is coming out next week, Ethan Salas will be in the top ten, and people will probably freak out as they always do, because he's for some reason a polarizing prospect despite the fact that like well, and I say some reason I understand why I like he. He had all of these expectations. Was thrust it into high A, Double A. We've talked about it at blanche as like a seventeen year old. It was completely unfair, and then he got hurt and so you had this like sample size of not that great production but these high rankings and people weren't understanding it. But now he's healthy and he's performing, and he mowed his way through Double A, and then now he's in Triple A and he's continuing to swing the bat really, really well. Sixteen games in Triple A for the Padres top prospect, he's hitting three forty four. I understand it's the PCL, but he is walking more than he's striking out and as a one forty three WRC plus he's producing plus contact rates on the season. The power is up. He's an elite defender, and this is another team that they are clicking on all cylinders if they're exhaustive. For me, they obviously don't want Campusano catching that much. Do you bring a youngster up my other This is my question though, if we're playing MLB the show, it's a no brainer. You're bringing up a guy that, even if he doesn't click right away, is going to give you good at bats. I think it's going to be close to a league average hitter even as he's feeling things out. I think he's going to be solid, definitely better than for mean, and he's such a good defender that that's going to translate right away. The thing is, there's a lot of veteran pictures on this staff. They've clearly thrown it for me in for a while at least. There's some new guys though, too, but they're just getting used to for me, we bring in another variable for some of these newly acquired arms. Do you think a J. Peller cares when it comes to maybe just bringing up just a better baseball player.
Speaker 1: I don't think. For for Proler, I don't think he care really. I mean, looka campus ono is still catching, so if it moves him to DH a little bit and then it allows you to not play for me, I think you have to take the offense that you can get right now at the end of the day. I mean, I feel like if if I'm if I'm a Padre starting pitcher, all I'm thinking about is how do we get the ball to our bullpen with the lead, you know, and if you have a better chance of Salaz coming through and putting up a couple of runs on the board, I think you're you you can get around being a little more uncomfortable. Also wonder like how much does it matter nowadays, like who knows who's calling the pitches? Like I do wonder if if with the art of pitch calling being less and less like important in today's game, with how with you know, pitchers can call their own game if they want to, I do wonder if that makes the kind of struggles of a catcher breaking through like a little bit easier, and that.
Speaker 2: I think very much is a good case. It also helps that like Ethan Sallas is one of the most mature nineteen twenty year olds I've ever talked to, and I think it's a big reason why they've pushed him so so aggressively. He's worked with some of these guys already a bunch, Like I think they're doing everything to get him ready, but he has so much. I think he's so ahead of his ears in terms of the game prep, the way he goes about his business and all those little things as well. So I just feel like this is probably just something worth monitoring and seeing there because Campuzano, like he's still only catching three times a week, for means getting in there three times a week is a great defender. But again so is Ethan Sallis, And that's a lot of at bats to for me and that are still going right now. And as you mentioned, you could bump Campusano into the DH role. It's not like Gavin Chets is a lighting the world on fire. So something to monitor there. One other that I don't know if it's going to happen because of the forty man implications, and I feel like the Guardians may have tipped their hand when they went out and acquired Nathaniel Lowe. But you look at Ralphi Velaskaz and what he's doing. He's one of my favorite power bats in the minor leagues, and the guy has been on another planet. We talk about how the American League is wide open, and this is a team that absolutely needs all the offense that it can get, and I don't think there's much doubt that Ralphi Velaskas could be spark for them. Now, I mentioned powers up in the minor leagues, not in Triple A. Triple A. It's the same deal. It is always because they're using the big league ball. But ralphie Velaskas has thirteen homers in his last eighteen games at Triple A. That's a hotthand that I would love to bring up. You're not gonna exhaust his rookie eligibility. You would just be adding him to the forty prematurely. He's not Roll five eligible until December of next year. I don't think I care. I think this is a guy that again they the Guardians Bot, which was great to see. So in that mentality, I think you got to bring up Ralph of Alaskas. This is another guy like sure, you'd love to have a little bit of contact with him in the off season whatever. He's already so close to a finished product. And one thing I do see a little bit more of And I wonder if this is maybe them saying, hey, we're trying to get him some more action and maybe are considering getting him up to the big leagues. He's been playing some left field. Ralphie's a sneaky, decent athlete. First, I don't think he'll be good out there immediately, but as long as he can make the routine catch and not trip over himself, that kind of bat being added to the fold for the Guardians could be exactly the spark they need.
Speaker 1: And you can always, you know, do you run him out there for the first six seven innings, get him three at bats, and if you have a league, you pull the plug, you know. So I think, yeah, if you are a team that has a chance here to make the playoffs and you have a guy that is going to be a big part of your team next year, I don't think the rule five draft eligibility should hold you back too much unless you have like an absolutely loaded forty where you really got to be careful. If you have a pretty good understanding that a guy is that close to big league ready where they're going to help you next year, call him up now and see if you can give your lineup a shot in the arm, because again, it's the only what place you're going to find it right now, and call him over hot way too long. Like, if you've got a guy rolling, you might as well bring him up as soon as you can and try to catch that lightning in.
Speaker 2: A bottle, especially chased the water coming off of a hammy. They're probably gonna want him off of his feet still here and there. You know, you look at even Travis like he's slowed down a good bit since getting up there. So you just ride the hot hand and see what you can do. I still think this lineup and this team is pretty darn talented. They're getting great outings from you know, Parker Messik every fifth day. Gavin Williams give you so many flashes. The bullpen's always that bullpen. I still think this team can hang around, and well, anyone can hang around, so you might as well give yourself a little bit of a push there. I would love to see Michael Arroyo get a crack. I thought that that might have got with the Mariners. I thought that might have been kind of put on ice with the Tailor Ward edition, and who knows, the Mariners might be so desperate they could go to Las Monts and just say, hey, yeah, we know you got a sixty two percent contact, right, but we also know you hit the ball one hundred eighteen miles an hour. You're on pace for forty homers. Let's just get you up here and hope you can get hot and just do something for us here. I wouldn't rule out either of those guys to try to just help this team.
Speaker 1: Maybe they should have traded Randy at the deadline too, huh.
Speaker 2: They apparently considered that. They apparently considered that. But Randy's been like their best bat by by wrs plus one thirty nine, which is, I know he's good, but like man, for him to be like their best best bat is tough.
Speaker 1: It's this free agent class surprising. That's going to come down to Randy and say I like that. That's that's the top of this free agent class. Those guys are having pretty big years in platform years.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to go.
Speaker 2: Into speaking of free agent class, some of the worst contracts in Major League Baseball right now. But before that, our first break. All right, we're going into the worst contracts in baseball right now you're working on the article for Just baseball dot com, excited to check that out and get your thoughts, you know, just kind of in more detail on all of them. But we're going to go from the worst to the least worst in your eyes here, and I'll give the four to you to kind of explain why, because there's a bunch of contracts that you could point towards them saying these are worse deals than maybe some of them, but they're almost over right, Like the pain is almost you're almost through it all where it's like one or two years we'll have to go like Hobby or Bias this deal or Marcus Semion's deal, But you're almost through the thick of that. So at the present moment, those aren't some of the worst contracts in baseball. It's some of the ones that you're gonna name. And I know there's some other like criteria that kind of builds in there for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when the article comes down, this is good for me because I'm going to workshop it with you a little bit and I might always change this list before we actually publish it if there's some that I think after we talk it out. It's a lot worse than what I have rank. But there's a section at the end that is there's light at the end of the tunnel. That's guys. That Again, it's two years left on these contracts. So Trevor Story and Hobby Bias done the same sixth year, one hundred and forty million dollar deal. They got a year left on that. Chris Bryant, I thought about still adding it because it's essentially a dead contract at this point. Unfortunately, twenty seven million left for two more years Stanton, that contract's almost over. Marlins gave Stan that thirteen Can you believe they were at the end of that thirteen year year? That one?
Speaker 2: That one actually, when you put it that way, like I never thought i'd see the end of that contract, Like it's just one of those we just I know it's young, and just like, ah, that'll be done when I'm forty. Here I am pushing thirty, and it's it's almost done. It's just it's crazy to see the duration of a thirteen year deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the whole thing's, oh, fifteen next year. It's actually not even that bad at this point. Fifteen next year and then a ten million dollar buyout on a fifteen million dollar club option in twenty twenty eight. That was actually intrigued by. I'm like, do the Yankees pick that up? We'll see. And then you got Marcus Simeon two years left. Obviously that's not a very good contract. I put the JT. Real Muto contract in this section, but again only two years left, not that bad. And then there was another section of could be bad, but I still think there's too much prime left. So Vladdie endeavors, we're the two that I thought about. You got thirteen years left of Vladimir Guerrero Junior. How he's played this season, you'd almost put on this list, but we're not that removed from him being the best player on the planet last October. So yeah, I felt like I couldn't put it on the list.
Speaker 2: No, you got to get him a little bit morely away there, Like that was a deal that we were like, you better give it to him, you better give it to himself. I think he gets he gets a bulligin. But yeah, if it's the same story next year, it becomes interesting that the Yankees deal with it's the Marlins deal, but the arrangement after the trade with Stanton is interesting. So yeah, if he if they pick up the club option, the Marlins are on the hook for ten of the fifteen million in twenty eight Is that how that worthly? I think so, because it's just Marlins will retain ten million of each twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven, and twenty twenty eight for the opts. So I mean, if you get stand for five mil to just maybe make a playoff run at that point, you just put him on the ie olt for four months and hope he gets hot for you at the end of the season. Might be might be worth it. But yeah, I think the Marlins are probably quaking in their boots at the idea of paying ten million dollars. They'd be doing that for a player that they have, so for for a player that they don't have. That's gotta Be's got to be.
Speaker 1: When was that trade twenty seventeen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, going into twenty eighteen, So.
Speaker 1: Like a trade that you made almost a decade ago and you're still on the hook. Crazy, Yes, And then the Devers, I mean seven years left. Uh, I don't think that's that bad of a contract, yeat. And then I had Lindor on here too, just because you're on the back half of the contract. And I think that's the interesting thing going through this exercise. It's a lot of like your favorite players on the back half of the mega deal that are on this list. And it makes me wonder as we get into this new CBA, there's this idea potentially of a like a contract limit length, you know, like the NBA you can only Why do.
Speaker 2: You think they're pitching that? Huh? I think this exercise is basically explaining why huh.
Speaker 1: It's just interesting to think, what would How does that change the structure, because then I think the Kyle Tucker and the Bobashek contracts become a new norm of these players instead of getting the four hundred million dollars ten year deal or trying to get that, it's hey, can I get paid sixty million dollars in a season? It just becomes a different game of trying to maximize value.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent. And this is the thing when you signed these big time players like you're you're going to kind to pay the price on the back end, and that's part of, you know, what comes with the territory. And that's why not highlighting maybe some of the deals that are in the final couple seasons of it makes sense. But sometimes those deals where you knew you were going to, you know, take a hit, like I know in the Padres hand it out and this is your worst contract at this point. The worst contract in baseball is Xander Bogart's with his seven years remaining. It was an o visually eleven year, two hundred and eighty million dollar deal. Even at the time, everybody said this contract is nuts, right, everybody did. But I think even the Padres they knew that the final three or four years were probably not going to be great. But they probably figured, well, you know, by the time we get to twenty thirty one, twenty five million AAV, you'll probably be more like, you know, eighteen relative to what it feels like now. And and and also you're you're paying for the prime years. Where these contracts become really bad is when you get to that falloff right in the first three or four years of the deal. And like we it never really was good unfortunately from the jump, but just Bogart's just was not quite the guy that he was previously pretty much after the first season, and even the first season, it was a slight dip offensively, he saw some signs of life, but you had injuries, and then since then it's just been a struggle both heal he's been on the field. It just feels like he guysn't fully fully been healthy in terms of like there's been some nagging stuff here and there. You know, it's been mostly one hundred and eleven to one hundred and thirty six games over the last three years, and he's owed a lot of money. Well. The other thing that's interesting to me is like, is there something to do with like the numbers four and five since twenty five four hundred and fifty four thousand, sorry, twenty five million, four and fifty four thousand, five hundred and forty five dollars each year for the most part until the final year it's five hundred and fifty, so it's a little five dollars pay bump in twenty thirty three full note trade. Tough deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a brutal contract. There's no other way to look at it. And like you said, the thing about this one is as soon as they signed it, we all were like, Xander got what I just don't know, like who had the second bit? Like how did it get to that point, like who was I know the Red Sox were in it, but they weren't in it to that degree. So the first two contracts on this list are Padres and the next one is Manny Machado, which you could say, well, at least Machado has still giving you some production. He's still playing good defense at third base, he's hitting his home runs. But I mean the ops down to seven to twelve of this season. And the thing about this contract is it was backloaded too. So from this point on Manny Machado, the AAV for the full deal, which was eleven year deal, three hundred and fifty million dollar contract, the AAV for the entire deal just blow a thirty two million per but now it jumps to he's making thirty nine million dollars a season for the next seven years. I mean, this is where the Padres in a tough spot because you can't trade either contract that's the left side of your infield for better or worse, and that's what they kind of have to just work around. I Mean, the good news is over the next I'd say, what three seasons, you still have a pretty decent chance at these guys being relatively productive starters, but it feels like the superstar days might be beyond Machado and anything more than like a batter or replacement level starter might be behind Bogart. So it's just it's tough when you're a small market team, new ownership, but still a small market team, and each year you're gonna have like sixty five million dollars a year payroll sunk into those two players. It's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Well, they got a new ownership group, are they small market? Like? How do we define that? To me?
Speaker 1: Like, they're kind of they're still a small market team. I mean they don't their fan base shows up, but it's not like even when the Cardinals were in there, Hey they were, they were drawing really well, it's still a small market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not. They're they're not printing at it at the clip that maybe some of the Yankees obviously, or the Dodgers or whatever it may be. Fortunately, they got some really wealthy people that are aware of the liabilities and are taking it on because the Machado one that this is the big thing for me with with Preller is like I can I can respect the lack of care for risk when it comes to training prospects like, I get it, and I actually admire that approach. I think it's fun to try to be different and and it's worked for him in plenty of different ways. The lack of regard for money is fascinating to me. And I know Peter Sider like gave him, you know, a little bit of leeway there. I also, but still at the same time, like you know that you're going to be handcuffing yourself down the line. But our Guards was a reckless deal. It's one thing to go reckless contract. The Machada one didn't make sense to me because they already had a three hundred million dollar deal with him, and there was if I have it correctly, he still was under control for like through twenty twenty eight, right, So you had him through under control through twenty twenty eight, and instead you said that's not enough. Let's let's make this deal even even more ridiculous and you re extend him. And maybe he was asking for that, he was pushing for that. I get that, But at the same time, man like you gave him a three hundred million dollar deal. It's like Harper's broached the idea of being re extended it didn't happen right, Like sometimes you say, dude, you've got three hundred ms. It is what it is. But they caved and they re extended him and made it inevitable that that deal was going to be terrible for them on the backside and even worse, you know, I think, you know, with more proximity to where they currently were. I thought that was the weirdest one. Even though I love Machado. I think he's a Hall of Famer and he was playing at such a high level at the time, but still, I don't get re extending an already huge tenure deal was was weird to me. And you never see that really.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to make light of the situation, but the fact that these deals came in when Peter Sidler was in the condition he was like it just it kind of felt like Machad was one of his guys. And I almost like, you will never know, but you almost wonder, like was that a Peter Sidler contract and a J. Preller is just kind of like okay, like he wants to give his guy this deal. It could have been one of those situations or it wasn't Preller led, but at the same time, like the Boguards one, again, you still could have spent that money in a different way and you could have you know, definitely gone about things differently. So both of those contracts. It was just a very strange offseason. And I think the craziest part is just how quickly it has turned, because, like you said, this could have been a conversation that's like ooh, that's bad, but we'll worry abou it in twenty twenty nine, and here we are talking about in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, we got more contracts to talk about. It's the biggest thing with with the Machado dukes. I think Machado has a lot more going for him right now. I have a lot more confidence in Machada giving you with the way he's picked up this year too. I think if Minchada had a great year next year, I wouldn't I wouldn't be surprised at all. Really, I think this guy could find a new gear and still turn into you know, the slugger that we've maybe a different version but through through age thirty four to thirty five to thirty six, still be a really productive player. But at forty ms a year and it's all the way through age forty and twenty thirty three. That extension of the extension is is crazy to me.
Speaker 1: I just wonder if this is I wonder how the game is going to change to this new CBA and if we're going to see these deals go away and instead, like I said, it could become you know, like NBA Max level contract type situations where we're going to see guys getting paid way more in their see extended careers. Has just kind of playing the mercenary one year deals later on if they can still produce. But it feels like, you know, this is these are the contracts that we grew up on, where guys got these deals, and it's like, all right, you're going to get to see Miguel Caburra play until he's forty. Even if the last couple of years of that don't look so good. There's a lot of these deals that are still out there, which brings me to the next one on this list. The guy was not playing well this season, and the only thing that gave me comfort not raking him higher than the other two is the fact that last year he was very good. And that's trade turner same exact offseason, eleven year deal, three hundred million dollars, making twenty seven point twenty seven million per season, and this year the defense that was so amazing last year has fallen off a cliff, as has the offense. At least he still gives you some home runs and stolen bases and gives you some things that I'm not going to completely give up on Trey Turner. No, potentially, like you said, like the same thing with Machado. If Trey Turner next season was a five to six win player, again, it wouldn't surprise me if he had a year or two of those left. But there's seven years on this deal. I think there's going to be a lot more years across those seven that aren't good than getting the superstar that he was last season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another fun you know, numerical deal twenty seven million, two d and seventy two seven and twenty seven dollars. There AAV with a three dollar paid month and twenty thirty three to get it to thirty dollars on the round number. But now this is another one where AAV. Wise it's not a total nightmare, but you think about a guy that, yeah, is having the worst year of his career, and you got this many years afterwards for you're going to have to move him off the position. Like, there's no way the trade Turner is going to be a short stop next year. There's just no way. And if they do that, like you're just you're you're putting yourself, you know, behind the eight ball to start the season. Now, could trade Turner go be a great second basement maybe, and maybe that'll rejuvenate him offensively a little bit too, and he could still end up being worthy close to his contract. But you're moving and you paid him to be a shortstop, you're gonna move him off the shortstop. Maybe they knew that that that was I'm sure they imagined that at some point he'd be moving off. Maybe not at age thirty three or thirty four, I should say since next year, but probably gonna move him off and then still you would have but seven years after that, it's it's a lot, a lot, a lot a lot. I was trying to compare it to the next one, but because the aav is higher and his game is predicated on I thought, this isn't The next guy is still younger, and it's just like, what's wrong? With him, you're just trying to figure it out. It's interesting. But like we're gonna get to Austin Riley next, which I think is just that one just blows my mind because at the time I was like, heist, you know, like not a heist because I think all these deals are equitable, but like great value deal for the Braves, But yeah, this trade Turner deal, like it's probably only going to get worse, right for a guy that's predicated on speed. He's still fast, but look how much it's doing him right now. If other things don't get better and the speed starts to dissipate, where's the value going to come from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough, And like you mentioned Austin Riley's next, I think it is a good comparison to look at the two because with Austin Riley, his defense has also taken a little bit of a hit. But I still think he can get back there, and he's going to be at third base a trade turner is now a second baseman, or if they stick him in the outfield, Yeah, I don't know if he's going to bring a ton of value there where I feel like Riley might still be able to readbound a little bit at the hot corner and it's just Riley's younger. So he's the most mind boggling of the guys on this list because a lot of these guys are in the same bucket. It's back half of contracts, guys who are in their thirties. Austin Riley, he still has six years left on again what looked like a really good deal. There is a club option on that deal without a buyout, so like, the financial structure is not that bad. The player has just become bad. And I don't really know how this happened, but this sample size of Austin Riley not being the Austin Riley that got the two wand a million dollar contract has grown to a point that we can't ignore it and just push this contract to the side, like it's prominent on this list for a reason. He has not been good for an extended period here.
Speaker 2: Now you bring up a great point of like he's pretty much now as the season ends in twenty twenty four is kind of an in between years, so it's hard but like just for the sake of argument year, by the time that this season ends, Austin Riley will have almost exactly the amount of not good seasons, because he's had good seasons. I'm ignoring twenty twenty nineteen and twenty twenty where he's getting his feet under him as a young, you know, top prospect. But it was three great seasons in twenty twenty one through twenty twenty three, and then now it's been three disappointing seasons. The one sixteen WRC plus on his way to two and a half a f four, like you could palot that, but then it was worse last year and it's been even worse this year. So it's been a steady decline as well. As he's twenty nine, like you should be in his prime. And this is another example like when everyone always says, why would he take this deal? You know, why would you do that? And Austin Riley was we're talking about him is like maybe an MVP candidate. You know, after building off of his twenty twenty two he had thirty eight homers, You're like, what could this guy be? He was twenty five, Like what could he be in his age twenty six season here? So people were like, why would you take that deal? Sure, Austin Riley like, of course, first and foremost, he wants to be the player that you know he wan he was. And but I'm sure he's happy he took the deal, and sure the Braves would would take it back at this point, even though I'm sure they still believe in him. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for the rest of this money, especially with how careful the Braves typically are. That it was a great deal for the Braves to make. It was and again for the player security, that's why they make these. They take these pre ARB and this was in pre ARB, but this was arbitration extensions. Hopefully it gets better because I am a big fan of Austin Riley. I love the way he plays the game and goes about his business. It's just it's been tough. And I mean, this was potentially gonna be the third straight year after hitting thirty three or more homer three straight years, this could be the third straight year where he's south of twenty. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you know, I've played a game before in the past when I'm covering the Mets where it's like, if you could take one contract off the books, which one would it be? Right now? For the Braves, it would be Austin Riley, And you mentioned the free agency. I was looking at that he went into this season with just over six years of service time, so I'm guessing he would have hit free agency after probably the twenty twenty four season, and he had started to climb a little bit, so I don't know if he would have gotten He still would have probably done well as a free agent because at that point it was only one year and there was some injuries in twenty twenty four, so he still likely gets a good deal, and honestly, he might have been able to get something comparative to what he signed, but yeah, it's it's falling off a cliff for him. So I still think that of all the guys on this list, the guy that I think I'd have the most confidence in maybe playing himself off of it next year would probably be Riley because the other guys are just so much older. Which brings me to number five, which Mookie Bets, And at a certain point, it's like it's still Mookie Bets. It's hard not it's hard to criticize a for the future first ballot Hall of Famer, but it's a long contract. There's six years left after this season, and now you start, you have to wonder, like Mookie Bets is becoming that's a short stop, is not giving you much with the bat, which is a really wild kind of turn in his career, and it still allows him to provide value because the glove is good at short but that's also something that you would think would fall off right six years, Like, how many more years does Mookie Bets have it? Shortstop? Which is can you imagine even us having this conversation three years ago? No?
Speaker 2: No, especially because I mean he was so damn good in twenty three. I yeah, thirty nine bombs and was everything looks fantastic. And look, he's always been an outsluged exit velocities guy, you know, which is interesting and like I would, I'm eager, and he's gonna be part of the reason I want to like kind of study in on how those types of guys age. You know, part of me would think, oh, well, you know, he doesn't light it up ev wise, it's all about the angles, like that should be a guy that ages well. But the other side of it is, well, yeah, he needs maybe every bit of that bat speed that he does have to be able to airpole and like he has the bet. He is a good swing path and has the knack to airpole, but when you start to lose the bat speed from already a below average rate, even trying to airpole at the consistent clip just makes your margin for error become so razor thin. That's something I got to look more into. But Mookie Betts is the reason why I am because you just wonder, like, with a lighter batspeed guy that has been so airpole dependent, when you start to slow down a little bit, what does that do to you? And if that is the reason why, like he just has not been productive. I looked at last year or was it twenty four where he was just so sick and just like lost so much weight, and it was last year last year, couldn't shake it. I felt like that justified the slow start. And then you saw him finish strong and still came up big and big moments. But this year has been his worst year of his career. And and yeah, he just I think he You got to give Mooie the benefit of the doubt a little bit, but it's still another one where it's like, I don't know, maybe these long postseasons like hes you got to remember two he's played so many games, you know, with with the runs that the Dodgers are making, and you know, also I always go back to the fact that they wanted to put him in the right field to preserve his legs right and and keep him fresh. And then all of a sudden, it's, ah, shit, we need a shortstop. But forget that whole thing that we said. And now he's been playing a lot of shortstop going deep into the postseason, and a lot of high leverage, you know, just high effort moments, and I wonder if that's just starting to wear on him a little bit too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess the problem is Tommy I've been hasn't stayed healthy. But you would just wander, like next year, why not just in spring shating and say we're going to figure out shortstop. You're gonna play second base, and that's that's how you're going to spend the next six years of this deal, because Mookie Bets could be a great defensive second basement and way less wear and tear on him, where maybe you get a little more out of him offensively. But yeah, it's he's thirty four years old next season. And the interesting thing too, that I'm looking at is I'm surprised that the walk grate has has kind of dropped off because Mookie Bets getting on base at a two ninety one clip, Like, I don't think I ever was going to see that.
Speaker 2: You know what I think that is pictures going after him, and they're they're not worried about thirty five thirty nine Homer. Mookie Bets. They're going after him. And I know he's got sixteen and ninety one games this year, but at the end of the day, I just I don't think you were was worried about a to ninety one OBP to thirty seven batting average. Mookie Betsy killing you and especially with nobody on podcast. He brought up a great point though, bats beat's actually up a mile per hour this year. So I got to go back to the drawing board and try to figure out what's up with Mookie here, and you know why we've seen this kind of this drop off this season. But another guy that wouldn't blink if he's better next year. A couple more rapid fire To wrap up, we got five more names.
Speaker 1: Yep, Aaron Nola number six on this list. Seven year, one hundred and seventy two million dollars deal twenty four point five to seven million dollars per year, four years left, but the last two, the first two on this deal, I guess maybe the second and third years on this deal have not been very good for Aaron Nola. At least he still gives you innings like that. That's why he ended up falling a little bit lower. Has at least been.
Speaker 2: Shot in the last few starts too all of a sudden, But I mean, how sustainable is.
Speaker 1: I will say, for whatever it's worth. Leo Morgenstern has not given up on Aaron Nola. I know that for a fact. He doesn't understand why he's given up so many home runs, but he's he's still a believer, So that Nola, I don't think with to spend too much time there. You know, we'll see if he pitches better across the next four years. Number seven on the list Kyle Tucker. This one is just how can you not put with the production they've gotten out of him and how much he's getting paid, how can you not put him on this list? It's a short enough contract that obviously he hasn't opted for next season where it shouldn't hold the Dodgers up too much long term obviously, and you still feel like there's a chance that Kyle Tucker next year can also hit himself off of this list. It's just been a really rough first season with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Well, and when you get the all time AAV number and how rough it's been, like, yeah, it's a little recentcy, but like relevant recency here without Battlesman, plus of the tax penalties that they had to pay on top of that, like they deemed him worth it. I mean, he's definitely not been worth even without the penalties, so that one's shorter term. But this would derail any other franchise right now, which I understand is a big argument of what people are making about this CBA, you know, needing to change in general. But we got a lot more going on, and with the Dodgers is way about my pay grade that I'm very interested to hear more about in the coming weeks or days or whatever it may be. But you go to the rivals with the Giants too, and all of a sudden, I thought this deal wouldn't be that bad. It's terrible.
Speaker 1: Willie Damas, I almost forgot to put her on the list. That was what I had this morning, like I got to check before we go live with this am I forgetting anybody And Willie Domas definitely deserves to him on this list with the season he's having. I will say, he still hit twenty home runs as a Giant, so it's not awful. That's why he finds himself lower on this list. He's actually kind of like the lowest name as far as the long term, huge money deals that we have here. Five years left. Last season he's still after really slow starting his first year with the Giant, Giants, found his way to being a four win player. I think the thing that makes this contract look a little bit scary is the defense is starting to fall off. And that's that's what's more nerve racking about it. Because if he was still playing good defense, hitting you twenty home runs like a low hundred a low seven hundred ozps wouldn't be the end of the world. Could have just be like one bad year. But if he's not going to be a good defender at short and they got to move him off that position and you still have five years left at twenty six million per for the Giants, that's not a great contract.
Speaker 2: No, not not very good. The defense is gonna be the big variable. Another guy could bounce back next year and be better defensively. It's just this year it's just been a complete fuff. He's always kind of been back and forth on it too, which is weird. One of my favorites in Lawrence Butler being on here is tough. But I mean, just how immediate at least it's nine point four million dollars aav You know, in the seven year, sixty five point five million dollar deal, there's a club option with a buyout, yeah, after five. But man, I just I would have thought that this would at least be a pretty decent deal. You made swing adjustments that I was bought into that had him just really raking, and it's just been completely completely lost for him, and it's been tough to watch. Well.
Speaker 1: The thing too, is when you structure a prior of extension, I mean most teams do it this way where you kind of are fixing the costs, but you're locking them into a similar payment structure. So right now he's making three point six. By the end of this thing, he's making sixteen point four, So you know, you get to the end of this deal's Lawrence Butther doesn't figure it out, you know, in twenty thirty one, you're still on the hook here and you can't really get off the contract. So you know, these are deals where like right now, Lawrence Butler, he's not getting paid to the point where it's hurting the a's in the present and the long term luxury tax implications if that matters to the ages and if it matters in the new CBA, Yeah, nine million dollars. Again, it's not a backbreaker, it's just if he doesn't figure it out, you are now locked into six years trying to figure this thing out with him still.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is is tough, but at least he's got time and I still think he's got the talent. That's one that could still turn around, because he doesn't need to be a superstar for that deal to be worth it. Last, but certainly not least as Anthony Santan there with the Blue Jays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five years, nine to two and a half million dollars luxury tax hit because of all the deferred money and everything comes out to about fifteen million dollars per fourteen point six to be exact. But the crazy part about this contract because they were doing the luxury tax game. Anthony Santander will be on the Blue Jays paybooks until twenty forty six. Twenty forty six, that's twenty years from now for a guy who has barely played at all in a Blue Jay's uniform and there are still three years left in this deal. The hope would be at some point you get some level of production from Anthony Santander. But I mean, it's that's that's gonna be the Blue Jays version of the Bye Bonilla Day. And as a Mets fan, I'll tell you how annoying it is that every year I get like fifteen text messages I buy Bania gifts running to get his cash. It's gonna be Santander. If you're a Blue Jays fan, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could definitely see that. Hopefully, I mean, you can come back healthy, back from the shoulder injury, and you know, maybe you get something next year. But also there's a chance that that could go down, as you know, one of the worst deals that the Jays have ever really had, though, So look out for the article. We might see some things shuffle around, maybe a late insertion there, so it'll be fun on that front. But we are going to get to the games of the weekend here the weekend preview, but before that, one more quick break. So I never point guard the games of the weekend, So apologies in advance if I butcher the living hell out of this, because usually I'm just sitting there waiting for them to get my prediction on it. But we do have some fun games today as we're recording this on Friday, one that's already going to be starting by the time people are listening to this. But holy banger, we've got Chris Sale versus Jacob Mizrawski Braves Brewers at four eastern. What's your call here? I think this is going to be of a showdown pitching wise.
Speaker 1: I just got the under right, what's it gonna.
Speaker 2: Be like five and a half runs?
Speaker 1: It's crazy, that's crazy. I guess I would. I would probably go with miz But I mean, that's just the game you want to watch.
Speaker 2: That's God, That's a game that I will be the second we record the call up. After this, I will be seated finishing up the top one hundred ride ups and watching that pitching matchup. We get another fun one at seven Eastern Tonight Giants, Red Sox Logan Web opposite of Sonny Gray, who again, I know records don't matter that much. I'm gonna respect a fifteen and three record from Sunny Gray two six five. Alright. I know we've talked about Sonny Gray on here. I don't think he's getting enough pub for how freaking great he has been this season. And Logan Web is a walking quality start.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, if it was anybody but Logan Web, I think it'd be an easy pick on the Red Sox. But yeah, another great pitching matchup and Sunny Gray. Interesting thing with him is he's got a thirty million dollar option for next season, and I'm just curious, like, what what matters to Somendy Gray at this point? Do you like where you're at you just want to opt into that or are you thinking like you want to sign another three year deal because I think the way it's pitching, he can get another three year deal and I'll take him to win today as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think his agent's going to be praying that he opts out. But you know, Sonny just seems to be kind of cool with with you know, where he's at and not wanting to bounce around that much anymore. And I respect that he's got a family and all that stuff, and he talked about that a little bit when they were when the Red Sox were really bad, in terms of like, hey, will, would you wave your no trade cause or whatever it may be. We're going to jump into the third ball game here. We've got Rays versus Orioles. And this is another fun one because it's Trevor Rodgers opposite of Freddie Peralta Freddy. It's been a bad year for him, but I do think it's been much better, at least in the last outing. The Rays already had a plan, they made some tweaks for him, and he's immediately immediately been better in terms of like when I watched it, I thought the strike throwing was better. I thought the stuff looked a little bit better. I think they had him working out the stretch a little bit more, some usage tweaks. I'm very interested to see if Freddy's follow up is as good as it was. And then Trevor Rodgers has just been really solid overall. You know, after a bit of a slow start.
Speaker 1: I think a big thing with him pitching out of the stretch is it improved his extension on his fastball, which was a big thing. It was like, how did Freddy Peralta put on a Mets uniform and lose like half a foot of an extension just in just a year. So if they can figure that out, he's going to be a lot better. Definitely rooting for him to figure things out. Also pretty rough that he gets to a new situation off of the first half that he had and he had a pitching corps for the first game that was pretty rough on him. But I definitely would not count him out to figure things out, and I also wouldn't amount to win today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's one. I'm just I'm very focused on like the follow up, you know, and just just what kind of Freddy they get there. We go to Saturday. Saturday games are actually we have a couple more on on Friday as well. Make sure I don't miss any more on the Friday slate. I'm looking at now, I think we're going We're gonna go to Saturday. I'm sorry, We're gonna go to Saturday. We got a fun one in New York Blue Jays versus Yankees, Dylan Cees versus Ryan Weathers, who's been throwing the crap out of the baseball as well. Cease is on a hunt for the cy Young. Ryan Weathers is again throwing really well of late. The Jays have a little bit of wife all of a sudden, theyre always gonn play Yankees tough.
Speaker 1: See I Dylan Sees is one of those guys where I feel like, you know, it's it's almost like getting the career achievement oscar type dealer's just like I want to see him get get to the finish line on a thy Young race and win it, because he should have won one a couple of years ago, if not for Justin Verlander, if memory serves, and so to see him finally put it together like he's he's got it in sights. So I feel like this is the chance for a Seas to sprint through the finish line. Who are gonna be playing in October? So I mean, for Cease right now, he's just got to be thinking, you got what like seven starts left to win a cy Young's. It's right there for him. So I'll take him to show up in a big moment because this is one of those starts too that can really kind of swing a race because there's gonna be a lot of eyes on him at Yankee Stadium, you know, making this start, So this would be a chance for him to definitely improve that case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am interested to see that. And again, it's fun that the Yankees, like teammates could kind of like help help Cam Schwitzler potentially win that Cy Young Award by just getting to cease who they did not see or they didn't not too long ago since they saw him. Jared Jones versus Trek Scoobel on Saturday Padre or pyris excuse me versus Dodgers anytimes Scooble's throwing um seated, especially since he's joined the Dodgers, where it just still seems like he's finding his footing a little bit. Jared Jones has been this Checko and Hyde where you've had these dominant outings and then not quite as dominant. Last one was dominant, And I think he's going to rise to the occasion against the Dodgers, but it's a pretty tall occasion to fully rise up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're waiting for that game right where school will just absolutely dominate in the Dodgers uniform and then you know, we can have fans freak out again about the Dodgers earning baseball. I think this would be the time for it, right where Schooble like punches twelve, just has one of those starts like he's kind of due for that first really dominant outing, and I think that Pirates lineup is probably a nice opportunity for that to happen.
Speaker 2: We go to Sunday a reminder that this the weekend Preview is always brought to you by our friends at Picket. Be short to download the Picket app when you sink your sports book, and you can get anywhere from three dollars to one hundred dollars when you sink it. It's the best way to track all of your hicks, you know, like if you are trying to keep up with what you're doing, what you're winning with, what you're not. I retroactively did it and told me kind of like, hey, you are really bad at your picks. You know when you live bet you're good in the first five innings. Things like that are super super helpful. So I think that's a fun way if you're a better to download it. But also like even if you're not that active in it, you get a free opportunity to get either three or one hundred hours once you sink a sports book, so might as well try to get the free money and give it a shot. The link is in the episode description to check it out. It's a really useful app there. And we like our friends at pickets go to Sunday Cubs Mariners, Shoudy Managa, Bryce Miller Showda didn't have his best last time, if I remember correctly, I need to double check that. But Bryce Miller, we definitely know has not had his best. It's in Seattle at least. But man, like, if I'm a struggling pictcher, I don't know if I want to see the Cubs line up right now.
Speaker 1: No, it'd be hard for me to pick against the US right now in that particular matchup. Yeah, they're rolling, so I think the matter of the ballpark, I think they can put up some runs and we'll see if Shoda's quietly pretty solid this season. Like I feel like Shoda doesn't get talked about at all anymore. He's gonna be a free age in next season too, and I think he's done enough here where he should be all to get a solid enough contract he's in a much better stand, and I think he would have been had he entered the market last year, at.
Speaker 2: Least for how much because he was so good, and then for how much flak he caught last year when he wasn't good. I feel like he's definitely not getting enough love for how solid again he's been this year.
Speaker 1: To your point, like, I don't think that Shoda is a front line starter, and maybe when he first came up we thought he might be, but you could do a lot worse for your number three or four starter than Showda in.
Speaker 2: Monaga and especially I mean players coming over from Japan, Like we have more information than ever, but there's still kind of a black box component to it, Like look at tattooa in my to get what you got in year one? Then year two was a three seven three, but it was a much more turbulent three seven three. This year is a three seven seven, but it's been a way more steady three seven seven, where you're just you're not getting many of those bull up starts. Maybe you don't get the seven shoddy that you would get mixed in here and there. But I just feel like he's been so much more consistent and a big reason why, you know, an anchor for this cub's rotation that before they addressed it has not been you know, as as solidified as as some of the others. So speaking of an anchor, Nick Martinez has been an anchor for the Rays and he's opposite of Shane Boss, who's looked like a great addition all of a sudden for the Orioles. I know it was a good trade regardless, but just the way that he's been throwing of late. You always get the revenge game opportunity for Shane Boz against the Rays. But Nick Martinez I don't know how he does. It's six innings of like one k no run ball, so he's a walking quality start Shane Boss has been of late two you get the revenge game component. I think this is gonna be a fun one.
Speaker 1: A lot of fun. I wonder with how the Boss trade has worked out, as all the prospects that came over really pinning out immediately for the Rays, Like, is this a game where the race jump all over Shane Boz and that narrative kind of continues, or does Shane Boz push back on it and show why the Oarls gave up so much to get him. I mean, look, the Oriols still have a chance here, Like Pete Alonso is carrying that lamp right now, one of the hottest hitters in baseball, and they are right in the mix despite the fact that they have not had a good season. So you know, a guy like Shane Boz locking into the best version of himself across the final month and a half, that can carry you in this race. Like the Orioles don't need that much to hang in it, but they do need to avoid getting beat up on by the race this weekend, so that'll be a very fun matchup for sure.
Speaker 2: If this season, teams have seen a lot of each other. The Orioles did just beat up the Rays a little bit, and they have this season, so it'll be interesting to see how it continues here. I think we get a good one from Boz. I think it would be a fun pitchers tool, but I think Boz pitchers with some fire under him, and it's gonna be fun to watch this definitely circled ballgame for me. That'll do it for the Just Baseball Show here on Friday. I hope you all enjoyed it and keep an eye out for Fink's article on the worst contracts. Also, we have some other fun stuff coming up because we got the Top one hundred coming out next week. We've got Michael McGreevy, Cardinals pitcher, coming on the show as well, very excited about that, and then Robert Murray joining us from Fansided as well. So plenty going on next week, Plenty to look forward to. But that is it for today's episode. Any final thoughts thing.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm a little disappointed we didn't get to the Noel McLain versus Potential Bullpen game in Chicago on Sunday. I thought that was a good matchup. That's Fay.
Speaker 2: He's throwing the ball. Well, man, he's throwing the ball. Well, I've got my cards. That is Bowman first is him hitting, which I think is so cool. They did go down in value, but I think they're going back up now and I'm feeling good about it.
Speaker 1: I did want to get some of my propaganda on the show today, So can I just say this, If Noel mcla repeats his last seven starts what he did last seven, or his final seven, he's going to end the year to three one, five era and two hundred and six strikeouts at one hundred and eighty three innings pitch and no one is talking about him in the Rookie of the Year. So I got a word in on the show to just yeah, hey, don't forget about McClain.
Speaker 2: And unfortunately, like we said going into the year, like we would take the field or like we would take probably the two Mets versus the field in the nl is just because he had BENJ. McLain. Both had great years and it's still not going to land great shout in the live chat as well, how could I omit this? Maybe the game of the weekend. We get to see you on Saturday, Cubs versus Kate Anderson making his MLB debut. Can't miss that. So of course that we talked so much about it on the first segment, I almost forgot to mention it in the Games of the Weekend. That's gonna be fun at seven o'clock Eastern, they're gonna be on Fox toore. We getting the network NLB debut for Kate Anderson. That's ridiculous and help probably shove. So I'm gonna go with a shove outing from him there, and I think I think he rises to the occasion on Network TV.
Speaker 1: Here you go, Here you go. I think that's gonna be wonder a watch for sure.
Speaker 2: That'll do it. Thank you all for listening, have a great weekend, and we will talk to you next week.