THERÉSA: Hello, Hello, Welcome back, Ghouls and Girls. This is Haunting, Purgatory's top podcast.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: Only podcast which still makes it the top, Len. It's called spin. Where we share listener-submitted spooky stories that are guaranteed to raise the hairs on the back of your neck or not if you're me. I had all of my body hair follicles dissolved in a non-FDA-approved experimental procedure in Istanbul, hair transplant capital of the World, which, of course is neither here nor there since I'm dead and wasting what would have been my hottest years here in Purgatory, for the rest of time. So anyway, it's a very exciting time for the in-between. It's Halloween.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: Oh, you're right, almost Halloween. Although, if I were still alive, I'd say Halloween is practically over. If you have any semblance of a social life, it's the weekend before that really counts. I used to throw an annual Halloween party, Ghoul Gala, a night of nefarious, naughtiness and wanton witchy wonder. One year, I went as a sexy toucan, which was iconic except the beak made it almost impossible to eat or drink, mingle, dance or flirt with the DJ. It was the best though MySpace Tom showed up, but I broke into my dad's stash of quaaludes from like the eighties. Everyone started taking their clothes off and the zombies became like real zombies.
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: Oh right, Sorry, getting off track. We want to hear how you're planning to celebrate Halloween this year, so drop us a note in the comments and we might just liven up your holiday with an unexpected visit from the great beyond. MySpace Tom style! Now let's get into it. Today we're keeping it classic with two good old fashioned haunted house stories. Our first comes to us from Roger, who was tormented in his neighbor's old farmhouse. I know what you're thinking. In a different context, it sounds quaint, charming. It's giving Chip and Joanna, the Barefoot Contessa. Well not for Roger.
STORY A: My brother and I are sleeping there overnight. We're in the living room and this sound wakes me up. I knew what the sound was immediately. There's this big oak rocking chair that sat in the living room. This thing weighed at least one hundred and twenty five pounds. I heard it creaking. I look around. The chair's not in there. It's been moved, but I can still hear it. I start following this sound and I can see that this chair is perched at the top of the basement stairs. It was rocking back and forth without slowing down. I reached forward to grab it, and it stopped in that forward position, and then it flew forward and broke into a bunch of pieces falling down the stairs. My name is Roger, and this is the story of the haunting of the farmhouse that I was babysat in. We were living in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest on a farm. I was just a kid at the time. My mom worked a lot of different graveyard shifts, and often my brother and I would end up at a house down the road with a family that also had children of a similar age, and some strange things started to happen. It was a small house, one story with a large basement. The mom and dad typical Midwest farm couple, you know. Mom stayed home, the father was great with kids. They had an older daughter, Jackie, who was my age, and they had a younger daughter, Susie, who was about five years old, and she had an imaginary friend. We always tried to involve her, but she just wanted to play with her imaginary friend. My brother and I are sleeping there overnight. We're in the living room. He was on one sofa, I was on the other one, and they had one of those old tiny radios on the corner of the room. And it turned on in the middle of the night and started changing stations. That scared the shit out of my brother and I. If you know anything about these old time radios, everything in that is mechanical, you actually got to physically turn the knob. It cannot change to another station without that knob. I don't know what it was, but something did indeed move that knob. My brother and I are sitting there looking at each other freaked out. He told me to shut it off. I was too scared to go shut it off. I said, you shut it off. So he crept across the room in the dark of night, with the only thing illuminating it being a little bit of light coming from the front of the radio itself. He didn't know how to shut it off, so he just went and plugged it. The thing with the radio happened at least five or six times. We told our mom this place as scary as hell and this is what happened, but she just kind of passed it off as us being imaginative or making it up or ,you know, outright lying. We didn't really feel that we had any option about where we were going to get babysat when she was at work, so we were stuck. So one day I was in this house, dinner's about ready, and the father told me to go grab Susie out of her room. I had looked in her room and I had stopped in the doorway, and I had said, "hey, Susie it's time for dinner", and she was just having a little classic tea party. She had the little cups out and some little stuffed animal friends and her imaginary friend was sitting across from her, she says, well, I'm busy playing, And I said, well, I don't care if you're busy planning, your dad said it's dinner time, and I was about to walk in. She told me that her imaginary friend did not want me to come in and told me to stay out. And as I went to step into that room, the door slammed in my face. That little girl was fifteen feet away from that door. I totally freaked out. I went and ran back and got the dad. I told him what happened. I said, I tried to get her, and the door slammed in my face. He goes in there and he tries to open the door. Susie! Susie! He can't get the door open. The door was not locked. You just couldn't open it. He's yelling her name, Susie! Dead silence in the room. The dad kicks the door in. Little Susie was just sitting there in the middle of the floor like she was before, completely unaffected, and just looked over and said, I told you he didn't want you to come in. I'm a little scared of this little girl at this point. When she was in a room by herself with her imaginary friend, she would turn and look at you, and you felt like something else was looking at you too. The best way I could describe it is that feeling of a predator watching you, Like walking by a house with a dog chained up in the yard that would clearly just love to get a bite of you. One night, I hear all this commotion in the kitchen cupboard just opening and slamming, dishes clinking, silverware rattling. I don't know any other way to put this. It didn't seem to be sounds that a person could accomplish. It wasn't the sound of somebody getting the bowl out or whatever. The only thing that I could compute at the time, I thought that like the entire family had gotten up and it was doing some kind of crazy thing in the kitchen, because it didn't seem to be anything that like one person would do. So I wake up and the lights were off in the kitchen, I went in there. I turned the kitchen lights on. My brother was with me, and what we saw, I mean, it sticks with me to this day. We were sitting there slack jaw looking at all this stuff. All of the cupboards were open. Everything had been removed from the cupboards, pots, pans, plates, cereal boxes, canned goods, et cetera, and had been stacked on the counters and on the table. It wasn't just haphazardly piled up like a cup with a bowl on top, with a jar of spaghetti sauce and then a wooden spoon balanced on that and then something on that. Somebody would have had to go in there for hours and hours and hours trying to do this. The parents woke up, came in and my brother the very first thing, he says, we didn't do it. They said, we know you didn't do it. Go back to bed, and they just kind of casually and calmly spent the next hour, hour and a half putting all this stuff away, and not another word was said about it. Two or three weeks later, they're having a barbecue. The mom asked me to go see if I can find Susie. So I run around outside for a little bit first, and then I said, you know, I gotta go check in the house, so, you know, yelling her name, Susie! Susie! Walk down the hall, look in her room. She's not in there. And then I hear this creaking. It was the sound the floor made when you were on the tire swing downstairs, because it was hooked into the rafters in the basement. And when the tire swing would go just you know that, you could hear the whole house. And I hear it. I was like, oh, you know, she's downstairs. She would sometimes play in the basement in the pitch black with all the lights off with her imaginary friend. Now I open up the basement door. It was pitch black down there. So I turned the light on and I called her name, Susie Susie! No response. As I come down the stairs, that fight or flight feeling starts creeping up on me, you know, that feeling of a predator stalking up on you. And I see the swing swinging by itself. All of a sudden, this tire swing goes boom, swinging all the way up, nailing the ceiling. Boom, boom, boom. I turned and ran up the stairs. I was so terrified running back up those steps that the door was going to shut. Ran through the kitchen to the outside Susie's standing right out there eating a hamburger. After that, my brother and I told our mom that if she ever sent us back to that house, we were going to run away. I have no doubt in my mind there was something very real and supernatural happening in that home. Because I saw it and experienced it for myself. It convinced me forever that there are unseen and unknown things that we're not privy to. I think one of the real tragedies of people that this happens too, is that you have nowhere to go.
THERÉSA: Yikes. Roger raises a good point, though. A hearty paranormal infestation can really upend your life. I wonder if hauntings are covered by homeowners insurance. That's actually not a bad idea. Len, write that down. We'd make a killing, especially this time of year. We could call it Haunt Safe
LEN: [MUMBLES]
THERÉSA: Ooh, Ghoul Guard. That's good. While we work on this, let's take a moment to hear from our sponsors. Becoming a homeowner is an exciting accomplishment, a cornerstone of the American dream. But what happens when that dream becomes a nightmare? Did you move into a new home just to discover a Satanic cult spent the better part of the seventies conducting blood sacrifices in the basement, or maybe the dysentery stricken Victorian children in the attic haven't gotten the move-on memo yet. That's where Paranormal Protect comes in. With Paranormal Protect, you can take comfort knowing you're safeguarded from all the afterlife has to offer. Paranormal Protect- Just because they won't rest in peace, doesn't mean you can't. Eh pretty good, right, I think we're onto something here, and our next guest would make for the perfect first customer. For most kids, grandmother's house is synonymous with good times, new toys, endless sugar highs, that one hot cousin who taught you to smoke. Hi Colin. But for Andrea and her sister, time spent at their grandmother's house wasn't all stale Werther's and shag carpet. They were up against something much more sinister.
STORY B: The minute you walked in, you're just kind of on edge and hoping you don't experience something that you don't want to experience. There really wasn't a moment where you didn't feel like someone else was in the room with you in that house. My name is Andrea, and I was always terrified of my grandmother's house. I lived at my grandmother's house until I was about four or five. I don't have a lot of memories living there, but what I do have is a ton of memories of visiting my grandmother. Her house always had a creepy presence. It was over one hundred years old. When my grandmother, my mom, and her siblings moved in. It was just a small farmhouse, and then over the years my grandfather put in an addition. It's my understanding that once the addition was put on, things started to happen. Something came alive in the house. I don't know if it was the work or whatever. It was like a disturbance. One of my oldest memories was that we would never want to be on the second floor of that house alone ever. And so if you have to go to the bathroom, you're making someone wait in the outside hallway for you while you go. You're never going upstairs alone period. The minute that I would get to the top of the stairs, I would get this eerie feeling. The energy felt thicker and heavy. I always felt like I was being watched. I never felt like I was alone. And there were certain areas like this one long hallway that was always dark. I don't think I can remember a time where a light was on in that hallway. There wasn't a doubt in my mind that if I looked down that hallway at the wrong moment, I would see a figure. The feeling of the house is really heavy, especially on the second floor. All the grandchildren felt it, But you know, we weren't the only ones with these experiences or these feelings. I remember growing up hearing a story about my mom when she was a teenager walking up the stairs, she would hear footsteps behind her and my aunt she would have sleep paralysis, and when she would wake up, she thought she saw someone hovering above her. My cousin once said she saw a figure, and just weird things would happen, and you just never felt comfortable. All of the activity would happen, mostly on the second floor or in the new part of the house. The house was an old nunnery, and there was a woman who ran the nunnery that passed away there on the second floor. Whether it was family lore or this place was haunted by this woman we were terrified of being in this house alone. The most terrifying part of the house was the second floor. At the top of the stairs, on the landing, you can go left and walk down the hallway. Directly at the end of the hallway was a bathroom that no one would ever want to use, and if you made a right that's where my grandmother's room is. She considered herself very witchy, and when my grandmother would babysit us, in one of the rooms at the end of the hallway to pass the time, she would get the granddaughters together and do little seance ceremonies, and I remember thinking, I can barely go to the bathroom alone in this house. I cannot believe we're doing a seance. But it was really entertaining and a good way to pass time with your grandma. I never liked sleeping at my grandmother's house. I was always at my cousin's house. I was always at sleepovers with my family. I really disliked sleeping there. The minute you walked in for a family party or for a sleepover, you're just kind of on edge and hoping you don't experience something that you don't want to experience. It was always in the back of your mind. I have like thirty cousins. We all feel this way. It wasn't just me. There was always stress around where we were going to sleep. I just knew I would never get a good night's sleep. One night, when we were staying with my grandmother, we were sleeping in her bedroom with her. It was just me, my grandmother, and my sister. We were watching TV. We get in our jammies. We all pile into the bed. I managed to get into the middle. My grandmother's on my right, my twin sister's on my left. In addition to the three people, my grandmother's one hundred pounds great Dane, Dominique is at the end of the bed, all of us packed in. I really had to fight to be in the middle. I felt safest in the middle. It was a really nice night out. There was a really great breeze, the window was cracked, the room felt cool. So we're all snuggled really comfortable under the blankets, and so we're watching for like an hour, enjoying. I think it was NYPD Blue, And eventually my grandmother dozes off. Before she fell asleep, she had let us know that the way that the TV worked was if you turned it on from the TV, it would go but if you had the remote, you could actually control the channels. And then out of nowhere, Dominique starts to get agitated. She was sleeping on the foot of the bed. She went from like a restful snoring to on alert. Her ears are up and she's looking at the TV, you know, a low growl like hm hmm, and the television just turns off and then all of a sudden it turns back on and it's just snow. It was almost like the scene out of the Poltergeist, where it's just the white noise and the TV fuzz. Dominique starts to get her hackles up. She's getting more and more agitated. My sister and I already don't trust this house. We're immediately on edge and the channel starts to change another channel. We're grabbing the remote. We're trying to turn it on and off. It's not working. The dog's really uncomfortable moving around in the bed. It's jarring to see a dog nervous, but like a big hundred pound protective dog that agitated was really scary. We were just, you know, trying to shake my grandmother and saying, someone's turning off and on the TV. She is just like, oh, it's nothing. It's the wind. It's the wind, And I'm just like, it has nothing to do with the wind. The wind's not touching the button on the television. Instinctively, I was like, she's gone through this so much, she doesn't care. But that only terrified me more because this is a reoccurring thing. Neither one of us wanted to get out of the bed. We were too afraid. The journey from the bed to the window, I mean it was probably three feet but like, what if we got off the bed and something grabbed our feet. I had to take one for the team and close the window. That journey felt so long. I scurried back into bed. So we're watching TV again and we're like fine for a little bit, and then all of a sudden, turns off and it happens again, turns back on, channels change, and it continued to do this cycle, turning off and on, changing channels even after we closed the window. So we definitely knew it wasn't the wind. There was something in the room and whatever was was changing the channels and messing with the TV as we're tossing and turning. We're not asleep yet. My sister and I are just trying to calm ourselves down and we hear someone come in the house. They're kind of making a ruckus downstairs. We can hear them in the kitchen, and then we hear them walk up the stairs and walk down the hallway. We just hear like clobbering boots walk up and down the hallway. We wake up our grandmother and we're saying, I think someone's here, I think someone's here. She's like, it's okay, it's just your uncle. My uncle Paul lived at my grandmother's house, and so we were like, oh, okay, he was out that night, he came home late. Now he's home, And for whatever reason, knowing he was up and around made us feel so much better. There was something comforting in that, and so we finally drifted off to sleep. The next morning, we go downstairs. My grandmother's making coffee, were eating breakfast.
STORY A: Paul called. Paul had not come home from the night before. My sister and I looked at each other and couldn't make sense of what we heard outside that room. The only people in the house is me, my grandmother, and my twin sister and Dominique, who was at the foot of the bed all night. Who and what was making those sounds the night before. I don't think I would ever go back into that house alone at night. I can't explain it. Clearly, the house is fucking haunted.
THERÉSA: I appreciate the directness in this one most people really beat around the bush when it comes to hauntings. But my theory is when you know, you know, and she knew. Let's take a moment for the real debutante of this story. Dominique dutifully lying at the end of the bed, A protective growl at the television set. Now that's a dog. Ah. I love the idea of cozying up to a sturdy Great Dane on a crisp fall night. All we had growing up was our Chiweenie, Lady Macbeth, who was rehomed after she chewed the handle of my mom's Birkin. A taste for designer runs in the family. But let's take a quick break, shall we. Well, that's it for today. Thanks for tuning in. As always, email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com if you've had a paranormal experience you'd like to share on the pod, and if you haven't had a paranormal experience yet, Halloween is the perfect opportunity. explore your neighbor's dusty old attic. Bust out the Ouija board. Seriously, we get so many Ouija board stories. But whatever you get up to this Halloween, be safe, have fun. And if you see me haunting Heidi Klum's Halloween party, no, you didn't. Keep the portals open and the veils thin. Till next time.
CREDITS: If you have a haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com, and if you like what you hear, please like and subscribe. You can also follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcasts or by visiting glasspodcasts.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcasts and partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting is created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus, and it is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as their character Therésa. The show is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, and Ben Fetterman. Additional production support by Curry Richman and Todd Ganz. Additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character producer Len Walker. Editing and sound designed by Matt Delvecchio and mixed by Dave Saia. Operations and production support by Kristen Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macaulay of Noiser. Music Library provided by Mybe Music. Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank California. For more shows from iHeart Podcast and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast