Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? All right, you guys, we're already in it, but let me just form holy say, we're very excited today because we have Michael Yuri. I am the biggest fan, his biggest fan, ugly Betty. But we were also, I feel like working during that phase, though maybe not because you had pat the movies, Thank you so much, so I was not one hundred percent like I would see it, you know what I mean and think like, oh, how fresh and amazing and interesting and different, and then couldn't be a bigger fan of shrinking.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love.
Speaker 1: It so much from episode one through the last season and I'm just so happy it's going to continue because I was a little worried.
Speaker 3: Well, I know, it seemed and it hadn't.
Speaker 1: Bill said Bill Lawrence, the creator. Hadn't He said that it would only be three or two or whatever was three?
Speaker 4: Three?
Speaker 3: Like that was the idea was three, And that's what they told from the beginning.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I mean we didn't have like a guarantee for three or anything like that.
Speaker 2: But you knew it would only be like it would.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 4: And then the first one be this, It's gonna be this, and then sometime during three we started to get the sense that like maybe there would be more. But it's kind of a it's a bit of so we've we're jumping in time.
Speaker 3: Two years.
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting, a little bit of a new story.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A new cast members.
Speaker 4: There are like major not not new main cast. There are some new new new people, okay, and things are it's it's very different. Well, I don't know what I can I don't know. But the easy one is my baby is now a toddler.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, that one so quick, that went so quick, I.
Speaker 3: Know, show this is tough. That poor little acts got fired.
Speaker 1: Well, that little, tiny little baby doesn't know that they have fired, so it's all right. But that baby was cute.
Speaker 3: Oh beautiful, Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And do you remember the episode where she's first born and we passed the baby down to Harrison and it's that beautiful, Oh my god, the baby and he goes he goes ride.
Speaker 3: And this guy like a single tear.
Speaker 1: I know that baby. How how that baby knew that something magical was happening. Yeah, when my daughter was one, I did The Best Man with James Earl Jones on Broadway, and she would come to the theater, especially if we had like double shows in between, and she would play in the dressing room with makeup brushes and whatnot, and we would always do a vocal warm up together and he would come yes, and he would come okay, like insane, you know what I mean. Like my whole thrill was just to be around him and watch him and like, you know, so up every every moment. So we'd be doing that, you know, you know, all the things and jim up exactly and he would shake. He would do like the physical warm ups and stuff. But he was older, you know.
Speaker 2: It's very impressive.
Speaker 3: He played the old president like the former president.
Speaker 1: Yes, so perfect, so perfect and amazing. Do you want to hear one more story before I connect.
Speaker 3: To your story?
Speaker 1: Okay, great.
Speaker 2: So one thing that he would do with that I found super interesting.
Speaker 1: They built a dressing room for him on the first floor so that he just could very easily come and go, and we would go in there to hang with him after the show, because like, whoever came would want to see him and it would be like a little social hour. But he was a little bit shy, you know, So he he loved to have us around and you know kind of like if he felt really comfortable he might tell stories and whatnot. But you know, he would take some getting getting warmed up or whatever with people.
Speaker 2: So we would go in there. It was really fun.
Speaker 1: He would write copious notes every performance about his own work, what he had tried and what had worked, versus what had not worked, versus like what he wanted to try tomorrow, like crazy things, and you just be like James, like what what I mean? He could just walk out there and do nothing and it would be amazing, you know what I mean, But like he would change it up like you never knew what was gonna happen. Oh my god. Yes, Like sometimes one time in particular, he just decided to just not go for the laughs, which he can do right, he's Digital Jones. So it was like a different show and all of us were just like what what what's happening? I mean not when he was on right, like John Staymils and I just did what we did. We weren't gonna, we weren't gonna we didn't have a lot else other than the last right, we were gonna go for the last, but James just decided one night that he didn't want the last, and I said to him, like why, like what happened? So I just wanted to do something different. I can't even go deep enough. I just thought, I just I think he felt like maybe it was too much laughing or you know, too going for the comic.
Speaker 4: You could probably get a laugh with like just anything again, totally like nothing.
Speaker 1: But then one time this was also interesting that I'm going to go back to what you said. He I had this line and now I can't remember what it was, but I played, you know, a southern wife, like a like a mover and a shaker wife, right like I was married to just Demos and I wanted him to be the nominee and blah blah blah blah, and like possibly an evil character, but of course I didn't play her as such, right, I just played that she loved her husband and she really wanted to succeed in whatever.
Speaker 3: Don't judge a characters, right.
Speaker 1: Right, right, So, but you could also see how both of us might have been slightly evil, but we weren't going to play it that way. And I had one line and it would always get a laugh, and I would. I think it was something I said jokes about, like sex and stuff, which you know, it was set in the sixties, right, so like it was some what I was like, you know, pushing the boundary or whatever, and I said something contraception, contraception, That's what it was. And I you know, I had my Southern accent, so it was kind of sing songy. And one day James Earl Jones had said something to the stage manager who would give us the notes as is normal, about that line, and the stage manager said to me, you know, maybe you want to try it without the sing song or whatever. And I was like, and then he said, well, it wasn't my suggestion. With James, I was like, what, oh God, so exactly right. And I mean I would hang with him backstage like for a long time and we would talk about all kinds of things, acting and not acting whatever, and my daughter and you know, adoption and all all different kinds of things. And he said, I said, James, why why do you want me to to do that too? What are you saying? You said, oh, sold that you could try it to And I was like, okay, well then no laugh, okay, no laughing all in my head, Michael, you understand. So then I felt really bad and I was like, James, I can't do it. I'm really sorry. I just got to do my thing because I'm not like you. I can't you know. Like he literally would just analyze like every intonation of his own performance.
Speaker 2: It was very, very fascinating.
Speaker 3: So how did he take you?
Speaker 1: He was like okay, Darling, Darling Shore Totally he was like okay, of course, you know. He was very very sweet, but he was also just like searching, you know, he was always searching for like what would be better.
Speaker 3: It was super lazy.
Speaker 1: So this is what I was gonna say about my daughter. So Gemma would come and we would when we went down to do the vocal warm up, it would be time for her to go, right because she was little, she had to go home and go to bed with the nanny and he would be there and he would always just be so fascinated with theirs. She was a very beautiful little baby, and he would want to hold her, and I would give her to him and she would just be like what is happening? Like you could just see her eyes because of the voice, right, because you can feel the voice right in his chest, you know, and she just looked slightly scared. She did not know he was Darth Vader. Bil later she'd be very scared of Darth Vader, right of course, right, she.
Speaker 2: Did not know that yet.
Speaker 1: She was one years old, yes, knows now knows now, but somehow something about animation. She never could relate to the fact that it was actors that she might have met, even if you tell her over and over again, she doesn't know for she She's fourteen now, so now she gets over.
Speaker 4: I thought animation they were just people like in costumes, Like, I didn't understand how that it's so confusing.
Speaker 1: For kids, right, but I mean it's also so magical for kids because they don't they don't have any you know whatever, preconceived notions. So anyway, I think she understood that someone really special was holding her, but she was also just.
Speaker 2: Slightly scared of the intensity, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: So I have really adorable pictures where he looks just so relaxed, like when you hold a baby and you're just so relaxed, you know, and she just looks like what it Oh, it's really cute, though.
Speaker 3: What does she think of that? Now? Does she I mean, she doesn't remember, but does she like she's amazed.
Speaker 2: I think she's amazed.
Speaker 3: So many people.
Speaker 1: She's met a.
Speaker 2: Lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that she even really I've really tried not to, you know, you know, they're like real people to her, right, So like Sarah and Cynthia, she knew them before she knew how we knew each other, you know what I'm saying. So we didn't talk about the other that much. The movie went back to work, and one time on the plane, I've told the story before on the podcast, but on the plane, one time she saw someone in front.
Speaker 2: Of her had the movie on.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: She was like six or seven, I feel like, and she.
Speaker 1: Was like, Mommy, that looks like you. And I'm like, yeah, eight, And I'm like, oh no, it's a weird way for her to see it.
Speaker 2: But like it was a movie and nothing, nothing crazy was going.
Speaker 1: To happen, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: No nudy scenes, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, not that I can think of. No, No, because the movie, no, the movie is the marriage that doesn't happen, you know, the wedding that doesn't Yeah, that movie the first movie, the first movie and the second movie. I don't think there's any nude either because we're running around, you know, Morocco slash.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe Kim is dude. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Good questions, Michael.
Speaker 1: But anyway, it was the movies, yes, exactly exactly. But it was good because then I feel like it's a healthy way to go for the kids. That it's not so much about you know, fame or whatever. It's more about they're just people that.
Speaker 3: Are in our lives, Mommy's friends.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly, which is great.
Speaker 4: So but that's how wild that you must have seen people watching you on planes before I have.
Speaker 1: I mean just I just flew back from Toronto and both Sex and the city and and just like that was on the plane and I was like, oh no, I have to like hide when I go to the bathroom. I mean, there's a good problem to have, of course, but like it was really early and I had gotten off work really late at night, and I was like, oh lord, this is when I'm not and you're trapped. Yeah, it's not great. What do you do?
Speaker 4: It's happened one time I was in like I was in this Christmas movie that had just come out, and it was Christmas time.
Speaker 3: I was traveling Christmas.
Speaker 4: It had just come out, and I was sitting in a like a lounge at the airport and my partner was across from me and he was like, oh, my god, turn around right, and somebody was watching it on their laptop right behind my God. And then I was at a restaurant in Palm Springs a few weeks ago and it was empty. It was just up us and one other table and they stood it talking about shrinking.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Did they see you?
Speaker 3: No, they had no idea. It was anecdotal.
Speaker 4: It was they were a very serious conversation. I could tell there it was like a breakup or something. And they're like, maybe that part is shrinking. When they went boop the boop thing, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, they're talking about Wow, that's me.
Speaker 3: And then Ryan was like, you gonna turn around.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was very serious, so embarrassing. But then also you feel like you have to hide sometimes I feel like I need to I need.
Speaker 3: To hide a little bit. And I'm sure this happens to you.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people People get very excited if they've like just seen you or like or like they think it's a really big deal that like I was just watching you totally, and I get that it's a big deal for them, but it's hard to like be excited, like sure, sure, sure, things that you can watch me are available at all times.
Speaker 3: Totally such a surprise to me.
Speaker 2: That's true, though.
Speaker 1: I also understand from the point of view of like the reality that it feels like these people are in your living room and or your bed, which is where I watch shrinking on my iPad, right, so it's very intimate.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I saw Harrison when Sara Jessica got her Lucile Ball of Work and Harrison was there with Kali Mirin, which was so great, you know, And when I had to go up and speak, I was like, Harrison's looking at me. Oh my god, it's just so much pressure. And now there's a room full of people look at me, right, but you can just see Harrison. He's just directly in front of you, and he's just looking at you, and it's just pressure, you know.
Speaker 2: And I know the man, but like it's pressure.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're scared, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're like, he's looking I want to do.
Speaker 1: Really well, because Harrison's looking at me and Helen, like Helen and Harrison next to each other, literally just staring at me, right, So I'm like breathing. I'm breathing. And then we were kind of like sandwich together, people were mingling or whatever. And I had, you know, possibly the night before or two nights before, watched an episode of Shrinking. I feel like, you know, it does you feel very connected from that, and he's playing a character with Parkinson's. My father had Parkinson's really really severely for five years, I guess.
Speaker 2: Before he passed away. And it's so great.
Speaker 1: The storyline and what he's doing and the writing and you know, all of it is so great. And of course he's just great anyway, right, but it's just so great that that that that he's giving us this you don't say, so of course I felt I had to say something, and I think I might have said I just was watching, you know. So I also understand from a fan perspective, like it's weird because they're so alive.
Speaker 2: You you are so alive.
Speaker 3: I was literally just watching you. I mean, like, there you go. And I felt.
Speaker 1: That, right, it's weird. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: I know, so you never I guess you never quite get over it. But I always feel like I want to give you know, when people come like strangers come up, I want to give them something like right, I want them to.
Speaker 2: Feel yes, you know, like, yes, that part's hard.
Speaker 3: That's hard. Yea, how I'm sorry that I.
Speaker 1: Write in that moment you don't know what to give them.
Speaker 4: Sometimes people are like just crazy, like you know, they're like I need this from you or I you know, that's that's hard.
Speaker 1: And I do think it's important to have, you know, some agency about it, you know, like you might be in a hurry, you might be you know, you're allowed to, you know, have those things like if I'm with the kids, I'm like, please, please do not ask me to stop for a picture, because I have to be with these kids. I can't be like sorry, kids, I gotta go over here and do this.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I can't do it. I feel so bad about it though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or I'm buying emodium, you know what.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I do regular life things. Yeah, it is hard. In pharmacies. I've had that as well. I was at a pharmacy in New York and I don't know what I was thinking because it was on the Upper east Side, but for whatever reason, that was where my doctor called it in and I'm I should never go to the Upper east Side, do you know what I'm saying? Ever, Like it's just bad, you know what I mean. So I'm standing there and it's taking a long time and people come in that place that literally I know from like thirty years ago, and I'm just dying. I wasn't getting the embarrassing. I was just like, this is like so personal and weird, and like people are talking to me about people from like thirty years ago, and I'm trying to remember who they're talking about, and I'm like, oh my god. And then people are recognizing us because we're talking and I'm just like dying and just.
Speaker 3: Like please God, are you you know out of here? Right?
Speaker 1: But what are you going to do? I mean, you don't want to It's hard because I think part of what's hard is that you don't want to disappoint people.
Speaker 4: Well exactly, yeah, you want to be everything they want from yes and more. They are genuinely happy, right, I see you, But it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to know how to be that in the moment in life.
Speaker 4: One time I was in New York and you know how my character on Shrinking says, everything goes my way?
Speaker 1: Yes, oh no.
Speaker 4: I was in New York and I was rushing. I was I was, oh, oh, I know what it was. I had to write an email. I didn't want to write oh. And I was on my way somewhere and I had ten minutes, and I was like, do it now or I should be thinking about all night. So I sat on a bench by the sid I was getting on the subway. I sat by on a bench by the subway. I was like, do it right now, write this email. And I'm writing the email and I'm I'm almost finished. I'm about to hit send. I'm starting to be relieved, and I get shit on by a bird that must have been dying because it was.
Speaker 3: The most like on my shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And I was like what I and what do I do? I didn't send it. I hadn't sent I'm covered in poop.
Speaker 4: And I would go to like an ice cream truck and I say, could you please give me I've just been shotn by a bird, because you please give me some napkins And they're like okay, here and the napkin, like, you know, like it must have been like a glob and it touched the napkin, it like got ten times low.
Speaker 3: It was disgusting, and so I had to go home. I was like, I have to go change.
Speaker 4: I can't possibly go out now, I have to go change emails not sent. And I'm walking home feeling just like New York has just really on me. Yeah, and somebody walks behind goes everything goes my way, you know what, Actually.
Speaker 1: That's kind of a door. That's true. All right, So my Hyundai hot take for all the glitters, I'm gonna have to say when Charlotte and Trey end up taking the picture for I think we call it house and Garden.
Speaker 2: In my mind it was town and country, but house and Garden.
Speaker 1: And Charlotte thinks the Tray's not gonna make it, and she's really sad, and she tells Mario, you know, it's just going to be me because we're splitting up, and then right at the last moment, Tray comes and then he.
Speaker 2: Poses for that picture. And I see that picture so.
Speaker 1: Often on Instagram, which is partly why I want to say that it's my my hot take moment. But also, Oh, it's just so sweet and so sad, And when I watched it again, I just really liked it.
Speaker 2: I kind of remembered it.
Speaker 1: But I hadn't really remembered it, so it was really interesting to me. I had forgotten this sadness. And obviously this is something that Charlotte's really wanted to have, this like kind of attention to her home that she's made, and then the fact that he does come because I think at heart Trays really a nice guy and a good guy, and it's really sad that they can't make it work. So I think that's going to be my hot take for all the Glitters, celebrating iconic moments, bold moves, and unforgettable style, just like Hyundai. Let me ask you this about your shrinking part. Did you know Bill before that's amazing? Did you feel that this part was written for you? Because it seems like it.
Speaker 3: Is that thank you, that's such a nice compliment.
Speaker 4: I didn't meet him until the read through what and I auditioned and.
Speaker 3: I felt really good about the like.
Speaker 4: This is great material, really good material. My audition was everything from the second episode. Oh and it was so good, so many different kinds of scenes, different levels.
Speaker 3: And I had read.
Speaker 4: The first episode and I was like, well, I didn't know Harrison wasn't it yet. But I was like, these characters are very nuanced, and my character doesn't really show up until the second episode. And it was like, if this is what the show is and this guy is going to be a lot of different things, but no, it's just really good writing and really actable, like really playable stuff. Yeah, for everyone know any of them. I had serious imposter syndrome because I didn't I hadn't met a single person. What. I made a tape, I sent it off, I put it out of my mind. I got good at that. I've gotten good at that. Like you make an audition take and you send it out and you just like sort of put it out of your mind. And weeks go by and I'm not I haven't thought about it. And my agents call and they're like we have They're like, let's get.
Speaker 3: On the phone. We have an update about drinking.
Speaker 4: And we hop on the phone and my agent says, well, we really thought this was going to go to a test deal and I was like, oh, so it's not happening.
Speaker 3: They're like, no, you got it. What stupid agents, but I had not met. I thought, at least they're going.
Speaker 4: To make me do a chemistry with Jason Siegel. I'm playing his best friend, or like meet Bill Lawrence and see.
Speaker 1: If I'm yeah, yeah, But maybe they had called around and checked up on you, you.
Speaker 4: Know, there was I found out later that there was a writer on the staff that I had worked with. Did turn out that and his name is Brian Same so I think they named.
Speaker 3: The character nice after him.
Speaker 1: Excellent, and so he.
Speaker 3: Must have vouched for me. But but I, you know, like I never I never acted with any of them.
Speaker 1: Or crazy on the Bill Lauren show. That's amazing. I love that.
Speaker 4: And then the first time read through, I I met the mall amazing. I didn't have any lines in the first episode. That was also like we did the first the table to the first episode, and I had nothing. I was up there with my little name tag, but I had nothing to say. We got to the part in the in the first episode. The only thing that I do is you see me from across the way and I'm pumping gas. Jimmy sees me and he's like, we got to get out of here. And he's with Luke Tenny's character Sean, and he's like, well, you hate that guy, and he's like, no, he's the best.
Speaker 3: And you don't know what's going on.
Speaker 4: You don't know what happens that you find out the next episode it ghosted, he goes because I was my energy was not what he wanted to be around after his wife died. So you're in the table read, and also Bill runs the table read and he's like, you know, everybody up here, so we're not gonna do introductions. We're just gonna get in there, we're gonna read. Let's go, and we just start reading. And I'm like, okay, well here I am. And you know, you know, like a table read, you just like want to score. Yes, you want to have your moment to like score.
Speaker 1: That's good that you want that. Different people come to table reads in different ways. I like that vibe. Yeah, Michael Patrick would appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, well well and also I've been in table reads where like people get fired, right, I've been in table reads where like your joke.
Speaker 3: Gets cut right, that's right.
Speaker 4: So I've like I've been in the theories where the writers are very upset after where it is because the jokes or whatever. So I was like, I don't want to score and I have nothing to do, oh because I have no lines. And Bill Lawrence we get to the part where they see Brian across the street and we get there and Bill's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh wait, I gotta stop, I gotta stop. Michael Urrey is in the show too. He's another series regularly. He doesn't have any lines in these, but he's here. This is so cool. You se him across the street. He's pumping gas and he like looks over at me and so I your dad. I stood up and oh my god, how Adora.
Speaker 1: I just mind guys, and I got to score and everyone laughed and it was that's cute.
Speaker 3: It was like the most generous thing he could have done. And I got, I got that's good.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: It was still I still had that like crazy imposter syndrome because I didn't, you know, the first episode took a while. It took a little while to find find the footing, and all I did was pump gass and I was like, I'm not even on this show.
Speaker 3: Did they make a mista.
Speaker 4: I kept thinking I'm going to show up on set and they're going to be like, wait, a minute. You're Andrew Reynolds.
Speaker 1: My goodness, that's funny.
Speaker 3: It's working out.
Speaker 1: It's working out great. You're so perfect, and I think everyone is perfect. I know it's Ted McGinley from class, like years and years and years ago. His wife Gigi was in class with me. So sweet, so so sweet. They're such a great couple, the best. I'm so happy, so so happy for him.
Speaker 3: And he is just driving.
Speaker 1: He's a dream. He's a dream. He's so great. Everyone, everyone is so great. Christa and I used to sit in auditions together, you know, like millions of years ago. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, she's amazing. She is amazing.
Speaker 3: And she's also the music supervi. I know.
Speaker 2: I love that so much.
Speaker 4: All Bill shows, she's a music she or her partner of the music supervisor.
Speaker 1: Very interesting, and.
Speaker 3: That's why they all have such cool music.
Speaker 2: Really cool music.
Speaker 1: Great stuff's always really good. It's really good. I love it.
Speaker 2: I'm just so happy you guys.
Speaker 1: Are not going to end, and I'm happy that you're coming back, and i account wait to see what you come back doing because I'm a big fan obviously. Now let's talk about Ugly Betty for a second. Oh my god, I had fully forgotten about Pat being on Ugly Betty.
Speaker 3: Yes, Pollo and Jackie, Polo.
Speaker 2: And Jackie, but what about Molly and Molly?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I know we had them all everyone amazing.
Speaker 2: So that was almost directly when the show ended.
Speaker 4: Correct, It's like immediately, I feel like we started immediately. Oh wow, like we started that. We did the pilot in like March of six.
Speaker 1: Oh got it? So I think we ended No.
Speaker 3: Four Okay, so it was.
Speaker 4: Right after yeah, yeah, yeah, and we shot the pilot at you guys were a Silver Cup, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were.
Speaker 3: We shot the pilot.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, we just went back there and shot one of our seasons there. The place is falling apart. I'm sure like they have done no work. It's just one there, one of the we shot one of the seasons. Yeah. We were at Steiner first and then Silver Cup and then we went to Waldorf. What's it called coffin Astoria around Yeah, you know, the the sound stages at that point post COVID, Like we're so booked and the prices would just go up and up, and we would always want to store our stuff and they would be like.
Speaker 2: Five million dollars.
Speaker 1: It was, you know it was just so much cast and we never knew exactly when we were going to come back, so that was part of it. But it was kind of fun to go to different places. We kept it lively, you know. But yeah, Silver Cup was a magical place in the day.
Speaker 4: Gosh, right there, off, I mean just like that neighborhood and yeah, water like that, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah we didn't we didn't get So we shot the pilot there and then they moved the whole show to La got it, and Pat was like going to La. Really she did. She didn't do the first two seasons.
Speaker 4: Oh, a great guy named Edward Castro designed them.
Speaker 1: But oh wait, I've met him.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's very good, very good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So she did the pilot exactly.
Speaker 4: She created the looks right and the aesthetic, especially for Betty, who was like literally she took the red glasses off of her face and put them on America fer era.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was literally very cool. In the in the there's a great story in the fitting, she's like, that is it's not there yet? What is he saying? And then she just like wait and wow, yeah it was really it was, it was it was wow.
Speaker 4: She was very exciting to be around. And and I will never forget my first time. I was like what.
Speaker 3: Because I was a child. I was twenty five.
Speaker 4: Wow, I hadn't done anything, and I'm going to her like studio where she's you.
Speaker 2: Did anyone warn you or tell you?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Because I do think people think she's more normal than she is.
Speaker 4: She is.
Speaker 1: She is a one of a.
Speaker 3: Kind, totally one of a kind unicorn.
Speaker 4: Yes, and wonderful and we'll really bullet.
Speaker 3: She would advocate for my character.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know she has strong opinions about everything.
Speaker 1: She really wanted to direct sex and the city really, but then once she started talking about what she would do everyone, it would just be like, yeah, no, it's not going to happen.
Speaker 3: And then I want you here again.
Speaker 4: I'm younger and and Darren starter, Yeah I forgot about that. Yeah, and Jackie, Jackie really did younger and and Pat. Pat would come in and out, but Pat would go about she would I saw her like take Darren aside and be like more it should be on this more.
Speaker 2: Wow, so sweet.
Speaker 4: Going to my first fitting and I'm like what is it? And there's Molly with her Southern accent, so like delightful and eccentric and eye rolly, and Pat, Paula and Jackie weren't there yet.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Pat was so weird smoking, putting cigarettes out on the table.
Speaker 1: Her evil dogs, Yeah, the dogs Sultana and yeah, those dogs.
Speaker 4: She want more hideous and evil than those dogs.
Speaker 1: But I know what you're saying. They they were unique too, yes, yes, And they would be just hiding under the table and you shouldn't go.
Speaker 3: Over there if they're shaky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, don't go over there.
Speaker 3: Don't go over there. Yeah. And then she would like put these things.
Speaker 4: I want to just stand there and she would put these combinations of clothes and then she'd put a thing around my neck and then she would come up and have a cigarette dangling and just like be breathing in my face, tying it around, and then it would like step away.
Speaker 3: And there was something definitely totally amazing. Also had just like hours.
Speaker 1: Of fittings, hours of fittings, and sometimes it's start at two am.
Speaker 2: I one time got in trouble.
Speaker 1: Like maybe second season, I want to say, because we were working just like horrific, horrific hours and everyone was like, don't Comeplaine, don't Complaine.
Speaker 2: You know, just be tough. And we were trying.
Speaker 1: I was trying, but it was hard, right, And we would see the sun rise like Thursday and Friday into Saturday, right, so the sun would rise on Saturday and we'd have to stop shooting. We wouldn't be done necessarily that we'd have to stop because the summer's rising. We were doing a night exterior and that was it, right, And then sometimes we'd even be on the stage till the sun rose, which made no sense, but that's how messed up we'd gotten during the week, right, And in the beginning, we had all those exterior night you know scenes whatever. And one time I wrapped it, I want to say two and they were like, you know, the ads are like.
Speaker 2: Now you're going to go to your fitting.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, no, come on guys, and they're like, what, you have a fitting? You have to go. And I'm like, but two am, we're starting at you because they would be five hours, right, So I'm like, it's it's two am. It's two it's two am. And I was tired enough that I like, you know, stuck to my guns or whatever, and I think it didn't happen. And then I was in the doghouse. Yeah, yeah, I got spoken to. I got spoken to. Yeah, I did. I need to go to a fitting and do not ever complain again basically yeah yeah yeah, not by Pat By you know, higher up than Pat Yeah yeah, yeah, like you know, the whole thing had to be I mean, they were very much. I also remember, did you ever meet Rebecca who was Pat's girlfriend and then wife. No, so Rebecca was around on the show, but then they split up and she left. But when they weren't getting along, if you went to a fitting, you know, you'd have like there'd be like thirty bags there or whatever, right, and they you know, they'd get the outfit in the shoes and whatever, and then they'd be like, oh the bag, you know. And so you'd stand there and they one would say, well, I want this back, and then the other would say, well I want that back. So you'd have to hold one, then you have to hold the other, and the you have to hold one and they have the other, and they would just argue and argue and are you And I was like, you guys need to go to therapy, like not be arguing over this bag, you know what I'm saying. Like they were breaking up, right, but it would be about the bag, right, so you just be there forever.
Speaker 2: They'd be like I.
Speaker 1: Like this one, I like that one, I like this one.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: You're like on and on and on and on and on, and you feel.
Speaker 1: Oh God, please let me go. But but on the other hand, it was part of it, you know, it was part of the whole show and the process, and no one, none of us had any illusions that it wasn't like tremendously important. You don't what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I mean that that was that show was. I feel like there wasn't fashion on television before that.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, And I don't even know if there's fashion on television now. Sometimes sometimes I'm like, what are these people worrying? But whatever, that's me, that's me being whatever. I do think there's fashion. I mean, you know, I didn't watch the the JFK Junior thing because to me, it's like too soon.
Speaker 2: But you know there's there's fashion, right, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Murphy understands fashion, I think, right, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: But that show, like it was the custums side fashion, but show your show introduced the idea of fashion two people. Yeah, Like I feel like it was the first time I understood that's a good point, Like, oh, that's a thing people do for.
Speaker 2: A living, for sure, and also a thing that you can do.
Speaker 1: I think that's what was nice about it was like the way Pat Emali and Sir Jessica approached it was make it your own, right, Like, yes, you're going to wear these tremendous things, but you're also going to mix them with things from the street, right, like that two two in the opening is five dollars, you know what I mean? And then like, hi, low was is it part of Pat's whole whole thing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Not so much for Charlotte though, when I watched back episodes, I'm like, oh, yeah, that's like from the gap or whatever, you know what I mean, Like like you can't tell because the shoes that we're wearing with it or whatever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: But and the styling, right, But I think that.
Speaker 1: Was what made it approachable and acceptable, was like take it, make it your own. I feel like that was the important, important part of it.
Speaker 3: Did you know from the beginning that that's that the show? Like?
Speaker 4: Because I think about the the iconic opening credits where you know she's in the two two, and then even that it ends with that goofy face that she makes a.
Speaker 1: Pause.
Speaker 4: It's sort of like, oh, this isn't just like a perfect person she's going to be, and like like that from the beginning was like like, I guess my question is did the show know what it was from the very beginning?
Speaker 2: I mean I think in some ways yes, right, because you think about.
Speaker 1: Like the bus, you know, the bus goes by her and hits a mud puddle that splashes on her and has her face on there advertising the column with like graffiti on.
Speaker 3: There, right right right, So like from the beginning.
Speaker 1: Very clearly it's going to be it's going to be a world you've never seen. And I was aware when I read the script. I didn't know who Candice was. I had never read the column. I knew the paper, The Observer, but I didn't know her like she wasn't she didn't. I didn't focus on that world, you know. No. I grew up in South Carolina, but I went to Brutgers, and I lived in New York, and I lived in Hoboken whatever, and I was an actress, waitress, and then I moved to La where I started to do better. And then I got Sex and City and moved back back and forth, you know, back and forth like we all do, which is great obviously, but I knew it was like an unseen world, right, and a world that I wasn't part of. So I was thought it was impossibly glamorous and amazing and you know, like.
Speaker 2: Very impressive.
Speaker 1: And I fully had imposter syndrome, fully, fully fully because.
Speaker 2: I was, you know, not of that world.
Speaker 1: And even though Sarah feels like she wasn't of that world, but to me, she was very much an it girl, Sir Jessica herself, right, she now says, like, what are you saying?
Speaker 2: You know, but like, you know, like I remember seeing.
Speaker 3: She was the thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean she thinks of herself as being like a journeyman actor at that point, right, I think of her as being New York City a girl. But I also remember Pilot. I remember Papa Razzi taking a picture of her walking across the street. I was like, what is happening? Like I was just shooting here on like a sound stage, right, like I didn't know. I was like what, I had no idea what we were about to experience, you know WHOA many years later obviously, but I was like, oh, who is that, you know what I'm saying, and like she's so calm, you know, I was just like, what, what what is going on? But you know, a little did I know what we were about to experience, right, So I knew, But we really, really really thought it was going to be a small, kind of a cult following type of a show in the way that Larry Sanders was on HBO, because I had been almost the only show that I knew of that HBO had had, and we were fine with that. We were like, as long as enough people watch it that we.
Speaker 2: Get to keep doing it, then great.
Speaker 1: You know, we had no plan that it was going to be what it came came to be, which was amazing. Now, I do think that there so I think in some ways Darren had a really clear idea of doing something different, right, and he wanted to you know, it was Kandas's column, and he was going to like the first episodes are very very specifically pulled from the book, right, and they're dark.
Speaker 2: It is dark, you know, in the beginning, the.
Speaker 1: Men are awful, awful, And Candace came on the podcast and told me that, you know, guys, just used to come up to her parties and just tell her the stories, these horrible, disgusting stories, but like bragging to her about the stories. You know, she didn't even have to try to get them to tell her. They were just like willingly like And then I filmed the models and they didn't know I was filming them, like you know, like this, right, yeah, I mean especially back then.
Speaker 2: You know, like like I I feel like it's better now.
Speaker 4: I could be wrong, but I mean social media sort of holding people accountable in a way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it tells young women that you can do that, you know. I don't think it ever occurred to us, you know, Like in the episode where the guy films, it's Gabriel Mock playing this character, God bless him, and he is like awful, right, and he tells her like I'm going to show you my masterpiece, and she has to sit down and smoke a cigarette and watch these videos of him with as she says, all the girls from Vogue, all the girls from the ads in Vogue, and they don't know that they're being filmed, right, But it's his masterpiece that he's somehow going to show people at some point because it's his masterpiece. But also if she doesn't say.
Speaker 2: Like I need to call the cop.
Speaker 1: That's what's right, It doesn't even she's like ha ha ha, you know. And I said to Sarah Jessica, like, wasn't that awful and hard? And she said, well, first of all, there's nothing on the on the it's like old TVs. Right, So obviously they didn't have the footage, right, so she was just imagining things. And also Candice is very cool and not judgmental, right, that was kind of her like, I'm just going to hang like I'm one of the guys. I'm not going to judge them whatever, and so Sarah was trying to do that in a way. And then also but then later Samantha wants to go out with that guy and Carrie tells her like, no, no, no, you don't because he's got to try to film you. And Samantha's like, ah, I want to, and so she goes, right, but I mean Carrie does say no, no, no, he's you know, he's not great or whatever, but Samantha chooses to go.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting.
Speaker 1: But I think that you know, we were so used to that, you know, we were just used to just like it.
Speaker 3: That's the way it is. Yeah, well that's the different time thing that like, like people say it now they're like, well, there was a different time about things, but it was and.
Speaker 1: It really really was. But yet it still holds up and you can still watch it. And so sometimes they'll be like the chord phones, you know, we're on like the chord phones, and they'll be weird things like that, like anachronistic things, but otherwise, the relationship stuff, it still seems really relatable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I found what I find because I've been looking at I've been looking back thinking about us being here together, and there's a few times when I'm like, oh, they're not quite woken. You assume they like I remember them back then, they were the wokest, they have gay friends and like yeah, like all that stuff, but like now looking back, they're not.
Speaker 1: Sometimes sometimes will say something and you're like what, yeah, like what stood out to you?
Speaker 4: Well on the episode we're gonna talk about like some of the gay stuff is a little uh, you know, like it's.
Speaker 1: Just one, but it also was a very I.
Speaker 4: Don't want watch gay porn, I know, but she's like, of course, why would she? I mean she's never seen it before.
Speaker 1: I know. It's so funny that three of them are laughing about it because that was like never seen on television, totally never, never seen on television.
Speaker 3: There's an episode where she dates a bisexual.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that one does not and then she like, she's just like she's really upset about it.
Speaker 3: She's a cool party with all those cool people.
Speaker 1: You know where Moore said Is said, she's a kissore.
Speaker 3: And then she's like like, I'm not doing this anymore.
Speaker 1: And I was like, Carrie, I know, and that kid is like a puppy, That little kid like a puppy. I know.
Speaker 4: She's like, I know, I know how often she like the show ends with her leaving alone in the streets, like in the dark, in the streets of New York, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, what are you doing? You can't just leave and walk away?
Speaker 1: You mean because she's not safe? Yes, oh that's where never entered our minds. Yeah right, No, we just stomped all around. Yeah, like like you.
Speaker 3: Put her in a cap like like nobody walk her. No. No, In this episode, Murray Bartlett just let her go.
Speaker 1: I know, no, I know, I know. No, this is how it was because I had a restaurant job, my last restaurant job in New York. It was in Chelsea, and I had an apartment in grammar syyt Park area, not on the park, you know, like on Third Oven.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't walk exactly.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I actually bribed someone to get a key, which was cool, Which was cool. I paid for a key, and yeah, because that little park so special. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, but I didn't. I wasn't. I didn't officially get a key. I would walk home from my restaurant job at like one in the morning, and I would walk right by the Limelight, which was still a bar in.
Speaker 2: The good old days. I was sober, so I wouldn't go in, and I'd be like, wow, look at that.
Speaker 1: And I just keep walking. I would just walk up all the time. Well, we just ran all around.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know, I mean so did I right, But I'm a boy and.
Speaker 1: Like, no, I know, but it's different.
Speaker 4: Now, wild to look and be like whoa, that's I know, just tiny little carry walking into a dark down a dark street.
Speaker 1: Everything was so dark, so dark, yes, I know, but it really was. It really was. And we did like one time, she goes into this like downstairs bar. This doesn't look like a bar. It's like a weird room that looks like people should be just doing drugs or whatever. She just goes down there. It's really funny.
Speaker 2: I know, I don't think any of us did.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I really don't remember fear in that way, like generalized, you know what I mean, Like I think we were just you know, like and then if you ever ask anybody from that time about like their subway stories, you know, everyone got exposed, you know, like that was just normal.
Speaker 2: You're like, okay, you know what I mean. It was interesting, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: So wait, let's discuss the episode and the gay part of the episode first, because when I watched it too, I was like, wow, this episode is like gay gay gay, yeah, and this is yeah, and we've now we're like doubling down. We're like, let's do it. And I love that And I'd forgotten everything that Murray Barlett did.
Speaker 3: And he's so great, it's so cute and wonderful.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, and he's a little bit of fait.
Speaker 3: I was like, I have to think twice, right, I feel like it's him.
Speaker 1: Well when he later it wasn't even it wasn't the white lotus. It was something else, and I was like, I know, I know him. You know there's things where you're like, I know I know that guy Michael looking looking yeah, yeah, he was like this Murray Barlett And I'm like, wait, what did he do? Right? He's so great and he's so beautiful, young and old, you know, but I don't know how we found him.
Speaker 2: Like I'm kind of interested. I want to hear that whole.
Speaker 1: I don't know how Michael Patrick found him, but he knew him, I think, And you know, he's great, but he's it's also kind of an interesting and weird part, you know, like to have because she's leaving Aiden at home. Aiden doesn't ever want to go out now, and he just wants to lay on the bed in his tidy whities. What the heck's fresh again?
Speaker 4: And she comes home in her cute white dress and he puts his greasy fried chicken fingers.
Speaker 1: This is little Hannah could think about so much.
Speaker 3: I was like, get off of him. You're wearing a pretty dress.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, well, this is what I was thinking during that scene. This is directed by Charles McDougall. Did you ever have Charles McDougall. Oh, he's incredible. He's just so visually beautiful and everything was beautiful in this episode.
Speaker 2: But when we cut back to Corbett.
Speaker 1: Laying on her bed with the kentuctive for Chicken, it didn't even enter my mind about the conductor Fred Chicken because I understand, I understand, but this is what got me distracted. Okay, you're gonna understand what I tell you. The camera is like below the foot of the bed and John is laying there with his leg spread in his tidy whities, and I'm like, what is going on? And it lasts so long. It lasts so long, and it was so distracting and weird and like it.
Speaker 2: I was just like, okay, I'm the only one who noticed this.
Speaker 3: Why you noticed?
Speaker 1: Okay? Great? I was just like, wait, who decided to do this? And I also felt like John was really leaning into like I'm a guy, Like I'm spread eagle on the bed, such a guy in this episode. He's very hot, he's very beautiful. His face is just so beautiful. But also, like the whole storyline also is just kind of weird, you know how, like he doesn't want to go out and his boxes are everywhere, And I mean I like that they're fighting because they've moved in together and it's like a new, you know, growth area for them. But then and then she goes out. But then also she's cheating on Stanford with Murray's character.
Speaker 3: It made me so sad. I know sees it happening twice.
Speaker 1: I know, I know. When I forgot that part, I was like, oh my god, there's Stanford paying more attention to him. And I was like, is she distracted by Murray because of the.
Speaker 3: Shoes, Like she wants the shoes.
Speaker 1: Or she wants to go to Brunglow eight or.
Speaker 4: I felt like a little bit like it was like that she was and it felt like she was kind of using him, and then she gets she gets upset up with him when when he's like looking but learning with the dude, you're using him.
Speaker 3: He's using you like you're you're using each other.
Speaker 4: I thought it was interesting, it was, But that was another thing that I had forgotten is these are flawed people.
Speaker 1: Sometimes they're jerks totally. And that's what's great because now I don't know that all the characters on TV have that freedom.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I mean, your character, you're kind of a jerk sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. Crazy narcissism.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. But you guys make jokes about it, Yeah, which is great, Like you do it and then they make jokes about it, and then you're lovable anyway.
Speaker 2: It's fantastic.
Speaker 1: But I don't feel like there's that many characters that we could really point to. I mean, Jason Segall's character, he kind of has his flaws, but I think he's very understandable because his wife died, you know.
Speaker 4: Yes, and he his wife. He has a great reason. His wife died and he went and he spent a year at rock bottom, and now he's like putting himself back that like the show sort about him himself back together, right, And I mean like if you ask a real mental health professional, then they will tell him. They will tell you that he is a terrible therapist, right because he's.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, that part's super fascinating. I forgot about that part. Yes, But also, isn't it based on that real therapist guy? Right? Very trippy? Right?
Speaker 2: That what's his name?
Speaker 3: Did it?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Joan Hill did the documentary.
Speaker 3: About Harrison's based on that guy.
Speaker 2: Right, and who also has Parkinson has.
Speaker 4: Parkinson's right, and that, uh, and that his methods where he's he's I think his I think his big thing is he on the first day he's like I'm the boss now or something like that, which is kind of great when you think about like how we want our therapists to.
Speaker 1: You know, like we will I don't know, Well, I don't know, Michael. I find that scary.
Speaker 3: That the therapist would tell you what to do.
Speaker 4: Yes, don't you sometimes though think I want my therapist to tell me what to do and my friends to just listen.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: No, it's a good point. Yeah, but that's a good point.
Speaker 4: To the extent that I mean, he's obviously like he's almost a bully.
Speaker 1: It seems like it's a little scary. It's so scary. Yeah, I would not respondible to that. I'd be scared, you know, to tell them stuff if they were just going to be like that's interesting, you know, you know what I mean, I'd be scared. I'm a good girl, right, so it would it would like play on that, you know, really am but like the Jew, So the Jimmy character is not based on a real real therapist.
Speaker 4: It's sort of they sort of I think there is a guy that he's sort of based on, but his methods that he kind of discovers organically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the first season are based on.
Speaker 1: Okay God because he has some crazy things he does, yes, which is interesting, but I'm very fascinating. Oh yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: But like my therapist watched the show and I was like, what did you think. She was like, he is very unorthodox.
Speaker 1: And she had everything well no joke, yeah, no jokes.
Speaker 3: Everything was about him, and I was like, what about me?
Speaker 1: That's funny, that's good. I mean yeah, I mean the show is honestly open about that. They're like, I mean right, yeah.
Speaker 4: And our Yeah, I mean our show is like a about our flaws, about our flaws about which is great. Yeah, which is great. You're right that so many shows, especially comedies.
Speaker 1: Are people can't be complicated now, right, because everyone's like so quick to judge.
Speaker 2: I think it's partly that. I also think it's like whatever.
Speaker 1: Our business is going through, which is obviously big and weird and whatever. It's weird times. But I think that when because we were obviously wonderfully without social media, right, Yes, So there were the reviewers who were, you know, really really mad at us and you know whatever, they were like old white guys. Hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were like what is this? This is stupid, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: You know, we wouldn't want to date these girls like every bad thing you can imagine, you know what I'm saying. But they were like old white guys that were like in a little corner over here. It did hurt us, like it hurt our feelings or whatever, but on a certain level we knew that it didn't really matter.
Speaker 2: But now, you know, everyone.
Speaker 1: Is opinionated immediately, right, and the immediately voicing their opinions in real time basically. And I think that like, you know, the group thing, the group hate watch situation takes over and I think affects the choices that are made in our business, you know, And I think that's sad.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can, you can try, but like it's hard to not, especially with something that's ongoing, like exactly.
Speaker 1: Shows are the worst. Yeah, shows, even limited series you can kind of do because like whatever it's going to be over, you know what I'm saying, But ongoing shows where people need to invest in it as a fan. But yet it takes this turn where the hate watch takes over and then like the hate watch fans up everybody, like the negative is so much louder than the positive.
Speaker 4: You know, totally totally and we are. I mean, I don't know how much you look into Yeah I don't. I'm on social media, but I don't love it. And I and it's like I'm afraid. I'm always really afraid I'm going to see something.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, as well you should. You got to protect yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've never seen anything bad about your show.
Speaker 4: I once saw somebody say something kind of negative about me about in the show, and I was like, oh my god, what if what if Apple sees this. Oh if they decide they're going to you know, like and and and I should just like not look like and also that person like you know, have no follower or whatever, like nobody nobody's I'm not going to see that.
Speaker 1: I was not going to care, but like that was what they did see it.
Speaker 4: That wasn't there was no social media back then and HBO especially then.
Speaker 3: Now still I mean, there's still like the best that they were. They were such punks, like punk rock, and they were doing.
Speaker 1: They're not punk rock anymore, no offense, casey, they're amazing, but they're not punk rock, right. I think it's changed, right, And it was prestige then, but I think there's a freedom to the prestige, do you know what I'm saying, Like where they could just be like, well, this is what we want to do, you know, and they didn't give notes like they were just like go do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were into it. They were like, yeah, lean into it, do it.
Speaker 3: So what was on It was Larry Sanders, was on.
Speaker 1: Larry's Sanders was on before US, six Street, on No. Six Fronds, after Baby, everything's after Sopranos. Same time, we've filmed their pilot like they filmed right after US because they had tried to make a deal because back then they would say like we're HBO. We can't pay your quotes because we're just a baby network. You know, it's funny now, right, it's funny now. And the time that that changed. I'll never forget this. You know how Vanity Fair does their power ranking thing in their power ranking, you know, I'm into the industry writer. I'm reading everything and I'm reading down from number one and I get to like number ten or something and it's HBO, Jeff Fucus, you know, who's in charge of Time Warner at that point, and maybe they quoted Chris, I can't remember, and they said something about how they had made a billion dollars that year. Was like, what, oh, really? Quote maybe we could get to little rays, you know, and you were like wait, because when we started, they were like, oh, we're not a network, We're not a real network. So they had gone to our crew after our show, which we filmed in the show in the city, of course, and then they said we want to make a double deal with the crew members where we'll hire you for more weeks or months and we'll just send you to New Jersey to do this show about mobsters in New Jersey. So our crew was all struggling with this decision, like, you know, I don't know do I want to go to New Jersey?
Speaker 2: Did your show about.
Speaker 1: The mob And we were like what, No, that sounds horrible, Like we didn't know. We hadn't read this Chris exactly. We really why don't you go to Jersey?
Speaker 3: I wanted to?
Speaker 1: And it was the Sopranos.
Speaker 3: So did your crew do both shows?
Speaker 1: Some of them tried, but then so we would be on and off, like we had this one ad Mark McGann, who did both. But then we started overlapping because once Stvid Chase, like they kind of pushed him to do the seasons on time, and he felt like he had not done his best writing, so he said, you're just going to have to wait for us.
Speaker 2: We're going to take our time.
Speaker 1: Whereas we went to work every February, like we started every February so that we could come on in June and be on in the summers. And we were doing like thirteen eighteen eighteen, like so many shows.
Speaker 3: You're still shooting when the show would be on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we would start in February, we would work till about August or September, and then every year it got longer because we got more money, you know, for our overall budget, and sopranos would just come and go when they chose. So at a certain point it started overlapping. So then we couldn't have we didn't really have that many overlap people, but there weren't that many even really to begin with. You kind of had to choose your vibe, you know what I mean saying as a crew, remember, yeah, let's talk about what a time? What a time? I know, it's fun to talk about. This is why it's so much fun to have actors on. I haven't had an actor on in a while. It's really really wonderful. It's always my favorite thing, you know, because we always have always so many you know, what's it called connections?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and and shoot in New York. It's just it's the best.
Speaker 4: Like when we moved and they moved Ugle Betty back to New York, we were on the streets. We were you know, like shut in Dumbo between all the bridges and shot.
Speaker 2: Have you been to Dumble lately?
Speaker 1: It's unrecognizable. I rented an airbnb for one month of like one of the seasons, and I thought I was picturing Dumbo, like back when she like we went to wait, does a shoe get stolen Dumbo?
Speaker 2: Something important happens in Dumbo?
Speaker 1: And it was like warehouses, right, I think it's going to be cool more houses.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: My airbnb was on the block that is the photo op block of the bridge. It is insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have been there.
Speaker 4: I've I've seen that chaos where there are just people there all the time.
Speaker 1: I was on Washington, I was in the block and I had booked it and the lady and tell me, well, it was actually great. She gave me a little warning, as she said, I'd already paid, right, she goes, you know you might want to you mean, you know, you might want to go somewhere for the weekend. And I'm like, I might have been the fourth of July or something when I moved it with something. And I said, what do you mean. She goes, well, you know, gets kind of busy. And I'm like, really, well, what do you mean, is there like a festival or something. She's like, well, the block, you know, the block is just as popular block and there's a lot of Instagram people there.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, I don't understand what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Like I was so dense, right, and the window looked over that block of the cobblestone street, right and the entrance was right there.
Speaker 3: So that's a great spot.
Speaker 1: It's a great spot. It's a scary spot to live in. The neighborhood's trying to like organize against it. But what was great. No one looks at you because they're focused on taking their pictures. So interesting, so you can just people watch and sometimes on the weekend I would just look out my window. You'd see naked people. You would see people getting their bridle pictures taken, kin signera, you name it, they're there, you know what I mean, people painted like their body painted red, posing, you know, in front of the bridge, exactly all the things. It was really fascinating, and no one ever noticed me. My driver had a bit of a time picking me up, you know what I'm saying, because you couldn't really drive down the street, but he would just go down the block and I would just walk and no one noticed me.
Speaker 4: Carries Oh, I know I've stumbled before, and I'm like, what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: I also lived near there, and I would forget and I'd be like, but no one knows me there.
Speaker 2: But if they did notice me, it would have been bad.
Speaker 1: Right. But but we always joked that that's like the best block for Sara Juska to walk down because like they would never even think. And I also lived kind of near the Friends building. And the funny thing about the Friends buildings, they were literally never there.
Speaker 3: No right.
Speaker 1: I was like, you guys, there's nothing to do with friends there, But because it's in the like, they'd cut to it when they yeah, they're all there taking their pictures. I'm like, this is really funny and weird, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's really funny and weird.
Speaker 3: I want you know, Baron Trall. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: It's like tough to get in. It's like it's like a you know, like a like a theater hangout where it's the best to take pictures.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 3: I swear to god.
Speaker 4: I was there one time and there was a booth of people who were on a Sex and the City tour. Because I was like, who cure these people? And the more I could like overhear, I was like, oh, they're on.
Speaker 2: Like I believe we did. I think we shot everywhere, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I think we did because I talked about it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I think we might have filmed there because we all go there obviously, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I love it there. It's a great spot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, is this bar that we go to in this episode all the twitters is that? Yeah? Is that real?
Speaker 3: Me?
Speaker 1: Neither? If it Israel, I don't think it exists any I think it might have been made up, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. What did you think when you watched that scene, did you think it was realistic?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, okay, okay, So, I mean it's intense.
Speaker 4: It's so crazy, and I guess like it's so it's not shocking anymore.
Speaker 3: But it must have been crazy then.
Speaker 1: I mean for us, you know, we in our lives were exposed you know, to a lot of stuff, right right, right, these are our lives, right, you know what I'm saying. So for us, I think it was just really fun, right, I think it was fun and different. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it was fun to be you know, anytime you're doing those really big scenes, it's a little bit hard, right, But I think that because for us, like if we go to we would go to regular straight bars or whatever and get drunk. Our characters get drunk and have to dance. We'd always be so nervous about having to dance. We just had to respond to everybody, you know what I mean, And it was just all around us, you know. So it was really easy and and and such a good time in the same way that the characters would have a good time of like not having any pressure on them, you know, it felt the same as an actor, you don't know.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure that all those guys were just all over you.
Speaker 1: And no, they were like super polite there, thrilled to be there.
Speaker 4: I mean like just like yes, it's like it must have been the best night of their lives.
Speaker 1: We should try to find somebody.
Speaker 3: Mario remembers, Oh, we.
Speaker 1: Should ask Mario the next time we have Mario on write that down, Hannah, that's good, we should ask Mario he.
Speaker 3: Remembers what that was, because I'm sure like he was probably the liaison.
Speaker 1: I'm sure totally. Also Chris Payne Gilbert who plays Gordon the blonde guy, and then I saw him somewhere.
Speaker 2: We're trying to figure out where I want to get if we can catch up with him.
Speaker 1: He's really great.
Speaker 3: That's scene where you're dancing with the two of them.
Speaker 4: There's no lines, yeah, and you're just like watching them like get and then.
Speaker 1: You're and I'm like trying to dance my way out. I'm like, dn't trying to dance, trying to dance, and then I get to the girls and I'm like, who.
Speaker 3: That was really fun.
Speaker 1: It was really really fun. You guys, this is so much fun that we're going to have to have a part two, So join us later in the week on are You a Charlotte