Speaker 1: It's media podcast. Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Brody Henderson, Chester, Floyd Hayden, samic Seth Morris, Randall Williams, Tresa Croker, and Morgan Jacobson. Now Morgan is a special guest that's here from the Montana FWP. Last year they reached down to us and said they were holding a trivia contest of their own and asked if the winner could compete against our crew. Well, Morgan was the victor, and here he sits today. Morgan, Welcome to the show. Tell us a bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Hey, Spencer, I work for Montana fishwallaf and Parks here in Bozeman. I do public communications and education, so our Hunter Education program is something that I help with and really just help out around the office in a lot of other ways.
Speaker 1: And how'd that game trivia go? I was told that it was a nail bier of a competition.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a funny question, because I'm pretty sure I was the only one dumb enough not to lose on purpose.
Speaker 1: And here I am. Really you think folks didn't want to be here.
Speaker 2: You know, I think I think it was. It was all multiple choice, and I just gave it my best. Everyone else just didn't want the attention.
Speaker 3: I think, okay, a little bit of tanking Spencer. We're gonna have questions that are nothing but hunting regulation.
Speaker 1: Question No, not this time. Well he's not a law enforcement or anything like that. But I actually have some questions in front of me that were asked in that game. I think we're going to test our crew to see if they get any right now, the document that I have, Morgan, everything was not multiple choice. So maybe these are familiar. Maybe these didn't end up making the trivia game, but here they are. This was question three. There were five states east of the Mississippi River that have over one million acres under conservation easements. Name one of them, Florida. That's correct, that's one five statesiest Mississippi River. Hm hmm, you're not even gonna guess.
Speaker 4: Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Pennsylvania is not one. Maine, that's another one. Hayden's two for two over here, keep going on a heater, New York, New York is well done.
Speaker 5: Crew.
Speaker 1: We got two left, Michigan. No, the other two are Georgia and Virginia. Did you get that one right?
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think I guess Florida. And this was question seven. Name the two birds and one mammal that have been removed from the endangered species list in our native to Montana.
Speaker 5: Bald eagle.
Speaker 1: Bald eagle is one.
Speaker 4: Golden eagle?
Speaker 1: No, uh, looking for another bird another mammal? Was this question in the game, Morgan, this one Linx, No, no, I'll tell them to you. The other one is pere green falcon and gray wolf.
Speaker 3: Come on, it's like and I didn't come up with these questions, and it's.
Speaker 1: What they have on their website. You're gonna have to take it up with Morgan.
Speaker 5: Don't give Brody any good tags this year.
Speaker 1: Now, Morgan, based on our cruise performance, I think you'll do okay today. Good luck. There's a lot of pressure on you. You're carrying the weight of an entire States game department on your shoulders.
Speaker 2: That is not lost on me. Trust me.
Speaker 1: And each week here on Trivia we reveal a new stat. In a previous game, Steve suggested that the more players in the room, the higher the winning score. That's a logical hypothesis, but the data doesn't agree. For games where we have six players, the average winning score is seven. For games where we have seven players, the average is seven point three. For games with eight players, the average is seven point three, and for game with nine players, the average is amazingly seven point three. That means there is only a point three difference in winning scores between games with six players versus nine players, in that games with seven, eight, or nine competitors have the exact same average. What do you think of that randall that check out?
Speaker 5: Fascinating?
Speaker 3: Okay, it is a fascinating That means nothing.
Speaker 1: And here's our zero percenter question of the week, which tests how much information players have retained from previous games. This question was from episode three forty seven. The topic was wildlife and nobody got it right. Name one of the four states with the black bear as their official state mammal. Go ahead, throw out some guesses. What do you got ed question?
Speaker 3: Read it again.
Speaker 1: Name one of the four states with the black bear as their official state mammal, New Mexico. No, No to both of those. Excuse me, New Mexico is one of them four.
Speaker 3: Give you more guessings.
Speaker 1: Got to be in the Eastern.
Speaker 4: Parkansas, North Carolina, No, No, South Carolina, Maine, Ji York, Georgia, Florida.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 5: Here are the.
Speaker 1: Other ones that you're missing, Alabama, Louisiana, and West Virginia. The incorrect answers given were Maine, Kentucky, Wyoming, North Carolina, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and Oregon. So you guys covered the map, but nobody got it right.
Speaker 5: Oh I got it right, I said, New Mexico.
Speaker 1: We have some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about dol Bear's law, which is when you use cricket chirps to measure air temperature. Listener Bob Davis wrote in to say that he proudly got this question right thanks to his grandfather. Here's why. His granddad kept a daily journal, which Bob read after he passed away. This is his grandpa's memorable entry from September eleventh, two thousand and one. Four passenger aircrafts hijacked. Two hit towers in New York City, one hit Pentagon, one crash in Pennsylvania. I was in doctor Denlinger's office with a scope up my butt when it happened. Also, you can learn tent by crickets. Count the number of chirps in fifteen seconds at thirty seven, and you have temp in fahrenheit. What do you think of that?
Speaker 5: That is quite a distillation of that day man, that's good note keeping.
Speaker 7: Strange conglomeration, yeah, d that someone better make a book out of his vental something that reads like a shock response, like you know when somebody's like so shocked by something awful that they like kind of just deflect to something totally oblique and unrelated and like strange.
Speaker 1: It's a good amount of information for September eleventh, two thousand and one. So good on Bob's granddad for passing down that bit of wisdom, and good on Bob for retaining it. Now the Shelby indexpert. Today's game of trivia is a four and a half, so our winner should get nine correct answers, and with that we're onto the game play the drop Phil.
Speaker 2: Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 1: How's that?
Speaker 5: Just tend to win everything? Demon Suckers?
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is foraging, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these fruits is not native to the United States? Is it mangoes, choke, cherries, plums or blueberries. Which of these fruits is not native to the United States? Mangoes, choke cherries, plums, or blueberries. Morgan with the quickest answer in the room, Randall, do you think you know this one?
Speaker 3: I don't know much about fruits or vegetables or.
Speaker 1: Anything like that. Mangoes, choke cherries, plums, or blueberries. He's more of a hot dog guy. Indeed, Which of those is no not native to the United States? Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 3: I hate it when I feel like I'm being set up with these multiple questions, multiple choice things.
Speaker 1: Hayden changing something. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan sang mangoes, Hayden saying plums, Brody sang mangoes, Tresa saying choke cherries, Seth and Randall and Chester all saying mangoes. They got it. The correct answer is mangoes. The choke cherry native range extends from the Great Plains to the East coast, the plumb native range extends from the Rocky Mountains to the East coast, and the blueberry native range is nearly the entire continent of North America. Mangoes are native to India, although they are commercially grown in states like Florida and Hawaii.
Speaker 3: You know who liked eating plums out here, Montana back in the day, Mountain Menton. Yeah, love them.
Speaker 1: American plums are very satisfying. I feel like scouting for deer in August. Come across those bushes, big fan.
Speaker 5: You're never trying to trick us.
Speaker 6: Thought I was mango cilantro rice the other day.
Speaker 1: So good, good on Chester. Question two, that topic is biology. This next great question comes to his via Weston Basso. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. What is the name for the partially digested food that dear regurgitate for further chewing? Quick answers from the entire room. This maybe one of those seven percenters that everybody gets right. Again, The question is, what is the name for the partially digested food that dear regurgitate for further chewing? Tresta, are you gonna get this one? Everyone else looks confident, though trusted. Do you think you'll come up with an answer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody else is ready. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan, Hayden and Brody saying cud Seth saying cud Randall saying rumen chest you're saying cud tresta without an answer. The correct answer is cud Randall.
Speaker 3: I overthought it.
Speaker 1: You did. This process is called rumination and it's practiced by fellow ruminants like cattle, sheep, giraffes, gazelles, and antelope. Some sources say the reason for this adaptation is to allow ruminants to spend less time leisure eating. Instead, they can quickly swallow their food and the embed in a safe location to digest while they watch for predators.
Speaker 3: It's a real good time to stock a mule, dear when they're laying.
Speaker 4: Said your answer Randall three times when describing the real answer.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 8: Maybe it's an alternative.
Speaker 1: Well, I think I think a rooman is like their stomach ruminants, but it's not.
Speaker 8: The food, the contents of the room.
Speaker 1: And they'll do some googling playing here like cottonlites. It's poop their corporate phra. That is a trivia question. Before we had Giannis vehemently trying to argue that it was your own poop and any answer that didn't say your what inside with him? Question three? The topic is public lands? What state is home to public lands like Capitol Reef National Park and Dixie National Forest? What state is home to public lands like Capitol Reef National Park and Dixie National Forest? A few quick answers in the room, some non answers. Chester, it's not come up with anything quite yet. Seth, you're gonna get this one.
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Spencer again, What state is home to Capitol Reef National Park and Dixie National Forest? Hayden also slow to an answer. Hayden, you're gonna get this one.
Speaker 5: Why the mango things still bugging me?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: No, I'm not gonna get this answer.
Speaker 1: Also, Brody looks perplexed. Brode, are you trying to trick us? Or do you know this just thinking?
Speaker 3: Okay, let me know when I got to write something down?
Speaker 1: Topic is public lands? What state is home to public lands like Capitol Reef National Park and Dixie National Forest?
Speaker 5: Brodie, are we at the point you'd start her asking me for taking too long?
Speaker 3: Has everyone got an answer?
Speaker 4: No, I'm changing mind?
Speaker 1: Okay, Chester, How do you feel about your answer Ah not great. Okay, how about you Randall. Randall, you were one of the quicker answers in the room.
Speaker 3: I feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 1: Poor Brody.
Speaker 3: Alright, I give up.
Speaker 1: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan saying Utah. Hayden sang Florida, Brody sang Alabama, Trestas saying Florida, Seth saying South Carolina, Randall sang Utah, Chester saying Kentucky. We have a correct answer in the room. It's Utah.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Capitol Reef National Park is named after the sandstone cliffs and dome formations. The Capitol Park comes from the white domes that are reminiscent of Capitol buildings, and the reef part comes from the rocky barrier that impedes travel, just like in Ocean's Reef. Now, that was a bone for our guest, Randall, who used to work for the Utah Game Department. Randall, I'm sorry, not for Randall, for Morgan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a bone for me too.
Speaker 1: Why is that because I got it right now? Morgan.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Some of our competitors were asking who was coming from f WP to play today, and I did not tell them because I worried that Hayden would get on your LinkedIn page find that you used to work for Utah and then uh slowly researched things about Utah and Montana. He's going to show up with an advantage.
Speaker 9: Oh wow, a clue on my on my jacket.
Speaker 1: Here, so that that was your bone, Morgan, did you get it right? It's tricksie. Capitol Reef makes you think it's going to be an ocean uh, and then the the Dixie makes you think it's gonna be in the South.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I went for ocean state in the South right there. And you made a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 5: A perfect game.
Speaker 1: Question four, the topic is fishing. Name two of the four species that the USGS refers to as quote Asian carp. Name two of the four species that the USGS refers to as Asian carp. Brody with a very confident answer, feeling this, Hayden Seth looking as well. The rest of the room not so much.
Speaker 4: No, I'm part of them, not so much.
Speaker 6: Okay, chacking myself here, I can't two of the four species that the us do you get it.
Speaker 1: As Asian carp Man Brody's pulling for you, Chester. Oh no, Brody, if you had to, could you name all four?
Speaker 3: Are you named three? I think?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Actually you could pass one of them too? You actually, yeah, I think it could.
Speaker 1: Okay, Chester, Do you think you have one?
Speaker 6: I mean, if it's four species, yes, I think I have one.
Speaker 1: Seth Do you think you have one of them? I need you to name two?
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, trying to think of the name for the one.
Speaker 1: That I don't help about the room here, Chester, it's a competitive game. Yeah, that wasn't okay, Morgan, how you doing over here? Not the question?
Speaker 3: One of my answers?
Speaker 2: That is where I lose my wading streak.
Speaker 1: Okay, fishing? Would that be the one of the holes in your game?
Speaker 2: I would say fishing and probably Woodsman.
Speaker 1: Chap Brody, how we doing over there? I think everyone else is ready. I'm gonna leave it is everybody.
Speaker 3: I get it wrong because I didn't change it.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan saying common carp, Hayden saying now what grass carp and mirror carp he crossed out, Koy, Brody sang silver and big guy trust it without an answer. Seth saying common and grass, Randall's saying grass and koy chest You're saying buffalo and grass. The four species of Asian carp are silver, big head, black, and grass. I don't know if everybody got it right. People flirted with the right answer silver, nobody quite got there. Most Asian carp species were introduced to the United States in the nineteen seventies. They were brought here to control LG and weed growth in controlled environments like sewage ponds and aqua farms, but escaped not long after. They're one of the greatest threats to native fish, with Vice News declaring them quote America's most hated fish.
Speaker 3: Dude, you can't be on your phone like ches.
Speaker 1: I'm not.
Speaker 6: I'm just Google.
Speaker 3: I'm talking.
Speaker 1: What are we looking up over here?
Speaker 5: Looking on.
Speaker 4: Carp?
Speaker 1: I believe is a deformed common carp and common carper from Europe as the USGS would define them.
Speaker 6: I was looking at another name for buffalo, but it's not Buffalo.
Speaker 1: Would be like saying bass Chester.
Speaker 5: That mirror carp are from Central Asia.
Speaker 1: According to Wikipedia, Hey, we're going by what the USGS most federaled part.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 3: That's a well crafted question there.
Speaker 1: Asian carp Thank you Randall. Question five. The topic is wildlife. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Caroline Perchner for sending this great question. Caroline is going to get a book signed by Steve. This series about North American wildlife was hosted by Marty Staffer and made its first PBS appearance in nineteen eighty two. And the topic is wildlife. This series about North American wildlife was hosted by Marty Staffer and made its first PBS appearance in nineteen eighty two. Who and here was alive in nineteen eighty two? Just Brody, I think.
Speaker 3: Jesus not No, that can't be true.
Speaker 6: I wonder why he wins all the time? Ten more years of knowledge?
Speaker 3: Eighty two?
Speaker 1: And are you gonna get this one right? Brody?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, you were sophomore in high school?
Speaker 3: Then, oh I's already graduated. That's just ten years old.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: This is our listener question of the week. This series about North American wildlife was hosted by Marty Staffer and made its first PBS appearance in nineteen eighty two. Randall with a quick answer, Randall Are you going to get this one?
Speaker 3: I narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities.
Speaker 1: Rest of the room looks stumped. I think Brody may have it. Okay, Brody and Randall might have a chance. Morgan, how you gonna do on this one?
Speaker 2: It's a wild guess?
Speaker 1: Okay, Seth, you ready go ahead and reveal your answers? We have? Morgan sang mutual of Omaha. Hayden sang Wild Planet, Brody sang Wild America. Tresa sang This American Life. Seth sang Wild America, Randall sang Wild America. Chess're sang Wild America. The correct answer is Wild America. The room did pretty well.
Speaker 3: Are we boring you? Hayden?
Speaker 1: What are we doing on your phone now? Hayden?
Speaker 5: I'm getting an im poortant work email and it's hilarious, but I'll have to share it with you afterwards.
Speaker 1: Okay. Wild America is considered to be one of PBS's most successful shows of all time. It was about North America's wild places and wild animals. Its style of nature documentary inspired many others like it, which actually caused Marty Staffer to sue National Geographic in twenty eighteen, a judge dismissed that trademark claim two years later, siding with net geo Phil. We are halfway through our game of trivia. I think we have a good game. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the last question made it interesting. We got Tresa zero points yet to make it on the board. Hayden's coming up next with one point. We have a five way tie for first place currently with every seth Randall, Morgan, Chester, and Brody. I'll have three points.
Speaker 1: Okay, but a good game. Question six, The topic is hunting. Hayden's still on his phone over here. Sorry, you can't even get halfway through.
Speaker 5: I don't mean, I don't mean to.
Speaker 9: I'm losing, probably on Twitter or something.
Speaker 1: Ducks Unlimited refers to this stretch of land from Iowa to British Columbia as quote America's Duck Factory. Again, the topic is hunting. Ducks Unlimited refers to this stretch of land from Iowa to British Columbia as quote America's duck Factory. Quick answers from Hayden, Brody, Randall. Rest of the room looks stumped. Randall looks excited. Mike pull him ahead of the pack. How do you feel about this one?
Speaker 2: Morgan, you know, ducks are another one of my weaknesses. You're just hitting all of them.
Speaker 1: Today started off strong, though. Does everybody else have an answer?
Speaker 9: Seth trisa I do, but Man, for some reason, I'm not feeling good.
Speaker 1: Brody, are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm ready.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 5: We have.
Speaker 1: Morgan sang Central Flyway. Hayden sang pothole region, Brody sang Prairie pothole region, Trista sang the Flyway, Seth saying pothole region, Randall sang prairie pothole region, Chester saying pothole country. The correct answer is prairie pothole region. I think if you said pothole region, let me I was gonna say, I don't think that's right.
Speaker 8: I've never heard it as just pothole.
Speaker 1: I think if you said, just very important about that distinction, so pothole country is a no. I don't think pothole is not good enough.
Speaker 6: What I was I was even writing down region, and I was like, I don't know if that matters, So I wrote down country.
Speaker 1: The country part isn't the one I'm concerned about. Chasteriars that you didn't put prairie in.
Speaker 3: What does Ducks Unlimited call it?
Speaker 1: They call it the PPR, which is prairie pothole rewords say anytime they talk about it, it's almost exclusively PPR. They'll spell it out the first time and then each time after that.
Speaker 9: But there is there is no other pothole region.
Speaker 4: So it's like, if you say pothole region, you're only you're only speaking to one thing.
Speaker 5: That is very true, particularly in the context dooks.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're going to get Phil. Phil is shaking his head too.
Speaker 5: Is this one of those things we can call Doug during about?
Speaker 1: All right, we're not getting there. We're not gonna call Doug Quay yet hating on his phone again. Are you dialing up Doug?
Speaker 5: No, I'm looking pothole region.
Speaker 8: Okay, you you let us know if you type it in there, it fills in Prairie pothole region.
Speaker 1: That's not how Question seven The topic is fishing. I'm sorry I needed to read the factoid first about the prairie pothole region. Some say that the Prairie Pothole region produces more ducks than any other place in North America. It's estimated that seventy percent of this habitat has been lost to agriculture and development, with only twenty two million acres of native grassland left. Ducks Unlimited has declared it the most important waterfowl habitat on the continent.
Speaker 3: I would never have guessed that British Columbia would be The border.
Speaker 1: Goes all the way over there. Some of it touches Montana. It's the places you'd expect Minnesota, Iowa, the Dakotas. I think Nebraska might be in there. Alberta gets all the way to BC.
Speaker 6: It kind of follows. It seems like it kind of follows that like Montana north.
Speaker 1: To follows the prairie region.
Speaker 6: And then once you get up in the well, just if you look at the potholes, you know, uh huh, never mind, I'm thinking out loud again. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Sure, it follows all the pothole the potholes, you know, region in the prairie country.
Speaker 1: I think it was in the country.
Speaker 5: I will point out that after a very conclusive Google searches, indeed the prairie pothole.
Speaker 1: Thanks you, Hayden had a lot on the line there. Question seven the topic is fishing. When Berkeley introduced this line of scented baits in two thousand and two, they were so excited that they put an exclamation point in its name.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 9: So you're asking?
Speaker 1: Here's the question again. When Berkeley introduced this line of scented baits in two thousand and two, they were so excited that they put an exclamation point in its name. Thank you, Phil. Does that help you? Seth? You're going to come up with what I'm looking for?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got it. Very confident. Room here.
Speaker 3: Those Walleye boys know what this stuff is.
Speaker 1: Dies. Everybody have an answer? Tresa, you guys, use you threw me a fly fishing question? Sorry I got it Wronggan, do you have an answer?
Speaker 5: Does Walmart sell this product?
Speaker 1: I'm not going to give you any hints. Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan and Hayden and Brody saying gulp, trust it without an answer, Seth Randall Chester saying gulp, they got it. The correct answer is golf. Berkeley declared Gulp the most significant advancement in soft bait technology of all time. They wanted to create a soft bodied bait that was digestible for animals and degradable in water. They also aim to make it taste delicious to fish, claiming golf products release a scent that's four hundred times greater than traditional plastic lures. Did you boys use some of that on the Montana Walleye Tour?
Speaker 3: I did, yes, a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how'd that work for you?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We don't work with them. You can be honest if it didn't work at all.
Speaker 6: I love I love fishing with golf, but I don't think we caught any fish on it.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 9: The one thing I don't like about them is if you leave those things on your hook, and.
Speaker 3: You might as well just throw the whole.
Speaker 1: Storm in a dark place in their package.
Speaker 3: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: What's great when you're bottom bouncing with the spinner rig? Those Galt nightcrawlers are better because the little perchs don't he's a real worm? Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Their terribility is somewhere between like a real worm and a very fake one. But they still have a tendency to get chewed up real easy. Question eight. The topic is gear. We'll get a scoreboard update from Phil after this. This next great question comes to us via Darryl Taylor. If you have a question you think is right for med Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia to Medeater dot com. Mauser, who is famous for their bolt action rifles, is headquartered in what country? Mauser? I'll spell that for you. M A U. S. E. R. Who is famous for their bolt action rifles, is headquartered in what country? Hayden with a quick answer. The rest of the room is filing in, but they don't look as confident.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: Topic is Gear Mouser, who is famous for their both action rifles, is headquartered in what country? Brody looks stumped or torn? I can't tell. How's it going over there?
Speaker 2: Brody sounds like it's going okay.
Speaker 1: That's your answer, Morgan, do you regret winning the trivia competition yet and being here?
Speaker 2: I'm I'm having a great time, but as very nervous when I won that trivia career right away?
Speaker 9: Morgan, was that the only thing that you wanted? Was there any Was there a prize or no?
Speaker 4: Just I don't know, but like did you I don't know.
Speaker 5: Something?
Speaker 9: I know it was nothing like that.
Speaker 2: I've wondered if there was like a side bet going on between Spencer and Greg Lemon who works for WP, And I told Greg, if there is, then I need a part of it.
Speaker 1: So huh now the version I say, while there were eleven questions with a tiebreaker, do you know how many you got? Right to be here?
Speaker 3: I don't remember?
Speaker 1: Okay? Do you think it went to the tiebreaker? Did it go that far? No? Okay? Does everyone have an answer for the question about where Mauser is headquartered? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan saying Italy, Hayden sang Germany, Brody sang Germany, Tressa sang Poland, Seth and Randall, and Chester saying Germany. The correct answer is Germany. The room did pretty well. Mauser is famous for the M nine eight, which is considered one of the most important guns of all time. The bolt action design had a slower firing rate than most lever action guns, but it could handle faster bullets and provide more accuracy. This successful design made it one of the most copied guns in the world. Phil we have two questions left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 5: Sure thing.
Speaker 10: Hayden and Tresa are no longer in the running for the win. However, we have Morgan with four points, Seth and Chester with five, and Brodian Randall are tied up in first place with six points apiece.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was expecting a little better. I thought we'd have a few folks in that nine range today, but we're not going to hit the Shelby index. Question nine. The topic is cooking. According to the USDA, this state grows the most lettuce, onions, and bell peppers in America. According to the USDA, this state grows the most lettuce, the most onions, and the most bell peppers in America. Hayden with the quickest excuse me, Randall with the quickest answer, Right, Randall, you're gonna get this one.
Speaker 8: Told you I don't know nothing about fruits or vegetables.
Speaker 1: So again, according the USDA, this state grows the most lettuce, onions, and bell peppers in America. A stumped room, Chester has even picked up his board.
Speaker 6: Pick it up right now, and I'm gonna write down and answer.
Speaker 1: Brody, you have it narrowed down.
Speaker 3: You think I've got my answer, but you know I'm a little un hot happy with this question.
Speaker 1: Okay, what don't you like about it? Well that you don't know it or you think there's like a fly.
Speaker 3: Seems like it'd be one on a podcast that vegetarians listening to.
Speaker 1: Like Randal over here, Hot guy.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 1: This state grows the most lettuce, onions, and bell peppers in America. Does everybody have an answer? Chester?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Tresa, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan saying Iowa, Hayden saying California, Brody and Tresa and Seth and Randall and Chester all saying California. They got it. The correct answer is California. California is also the nation's top producer of almonds, grapes, and strawberries. The state produces forty two percent of America's vegetables, with four of the top five produce growing counties located there. It's estimated that about one point two million acres of California are solely dedicated to growing vegetables. Phil How does that change the leaderboard?
Speaker 10: So Morgan's no longer in the running, but we've got Seth and Chester with six, and Randall and Brodi with seven.
Speaker 1: Coming down to the final question, question ten, the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to us via John Ray. If you have a question you think is right for meat Eatter Trivia, you can send it to trivia to medeater dot com. In twenty ten, Missouri became one of the only states in America to allow the use of this very primitive weapon for deer hunting. In twenty ten, Missouri became one of the only states in America to allow the use of this very primitive weapon for deer hunting. If Randall and Brody both get it right, we will go to a tie breaker. They both get it wrong, and we have Seth or Chester get it right, we'll go to a four way tie breaker potentially. Brody, do you have this one?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty sure Randall, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: I got you. Guys are slamming the door on Chester and Seth. You're not gonna let them in?
Speaker 9: I hope.
Speaker 1: So, okay, I.
Speaker 6: Mean, I think it's like if I'm almost positive I have it, there's one other thing creeping in my mind that that might be.
Speaker 1: But it's everybody ready, Tresa, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan and Hayden and Brody saying had a laddle Tresta's saying flint lock with a lot of cod Randall Child, the correct answer is add a laddle. Brody and Randall both get it right. They have eight correct answers, and with that we are going to a tiebreaker. Play the drop, Phil, Tye, is this the first? I? They just cut it at if you ain't first your last, and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 5: It's funny. I never liked it a Phil cough Man.
Speaker 1: Now, Alabama and Nebraska also allow the use of adda laddles for deer. Some states like Texas and Nevada allow them to be used for non game species like coyotes and faral hogs. And in twenty fifteen, one Missouri hunter made national news when he killed a fifteen point whitetail that scored one hundred and sixty nine inches with an add a laddle.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: For the tie breaking round, the topic is public lands. What year did Mount Saint Helen's erupt? Brody with a quick answer, almost as though he knows it. Here's the question again, what year did Mount Saint Helens erupt? The rest of the room can play along if they like, but the only answers that matter are Randall and Brody. Brody, how close do you think you are to the right answer?
Speaker 3: I think I and I'm within two years, like waffling on two different years.
Speaker 1: Randall, how close do you think you are to the right answer?
Speaker 3: I think I have it.
Speaker 8: But I'd also just like to point out that this is one of those questions that very obviously privileges those who were born decades earlier than the.
Speaker 5: Rest of you.
Speaker 3: No, it's like a clear piece of like American history.
Speaker 8: I feel like, yeah, but you probably got home from work and picked up the newspapers.
Speaker 1: Here's the question again. The topic is public Lands. What year did Mount Saint helens Man?
Speaker 5: Brody heard it on the family radio?
Speaker 3: No, but I was watching Doc with my kids the other night and they talked about it on there.
Speaker 1: Oh do you think they said the year?
Speaker 3: I can't remember. Okay, I'm sure they probably did.
Speaker 1: Brody stormed in with all the confidence, and now he's not really sure.
Speaker 3: It's sticking in my head, so I'm gonna leave.
Speaker 1: It, Randall, Are you ready?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Brody? Are you ready?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Morgan saying nineteen eighty, Hayden sang nineteen eighty two, Trestas saying nineteen eighty two, Seth saying nineteen eighty two, Chester saying nineteen eighty. The two competitors left, Randall saying nineteen eighty nine. Brody sang nineteen eighty one. I'll tell you this, someone in the room has it dead nuts. The correct answer is nineteen eighty, making Brody our ruler. He was one year off. We also had multiple people who hit it right on the nose. Morgan and Chester, Sorry you didn't make it to the tie break, dude, I would have.
Speaker 6: I was. I was right there on this one. I don't feel bad.
Speaker 1: At all those of you who got it right on the nose. Did you know it? Or it was just a good guesses?
Speaker 6: That was a good good guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, Morgan, did you know that one?
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, I think I've heard it.
Speaker 1: And Brody, if you had to go one year the other direction, do you think you'd have went to like eighty two.
Speaker 3: Or eighty No, I would have gone eighty.
Speaker 1: Now, as the one who was alive when that happened. What do you remember about the Mount Saint Helen's I mean nothing specific.
Speaker 3: I remember it like and this may be something I've seen a million times since then. But that video of the side of the mountain blowing apart, it's crazy. Now there's elk and beavers and all kinds of shit running around on that mountain.
Speaker 1: Sure, what happens next is Brody gets to choose where the five hundred dollars donation from Meat Eater goes. So, Brody, what's it gonna be.
Speaker 3: I've done these guys before, but I'm gonna do them again because, uh, there's a lot of deer and antelope dying in uh Western Wyoming right now and in other places. But I'm gonna donate it to the Mule Deer Foundation.
Speaker 1: What do you think they are going to do about all that loss?
Speaker 3: Well, they do a lot of habitat work, so hopefully that that'll, you know, pan out in the long run.
Speaker 1: Good choice, Brody Morgan, Thank you for joining us. When you guys have the competition again this year, do you think you're gonna try as hard or just throw the game on purpose?
Speaker 2: You know, I had a lot of fun, so I'm gonna try. I'm gonna try even harder.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that. Good answer. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.