Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast. The Ravens took down the Pittsburgh Steelers thirty four to seventeen on Saturday at M and T Banks Stadium. After the game, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harball.
Speaker 2: Okay, appreciate everybody being here.
Speaker 3: I just want to start with this because this is important to me and to a lot of people. Now this week, Christmas, Christmas is a couple what four days, which we happened to play in four days, right, so it's right around the corner and we'll be together on Christmas. So I read this to the team in our post post game prayer, and it's this.
Speaker 4: This is Mary.
Speaker 3: Mary the Mother of God said this when she was getting when she was with Elizabeth. She said, she said this, She said, my soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God, my Savior. So I just want to wish everybody to Merry Christmas, happy holiday season, and rejoice man, Rejoice, Rejoice in life, Rejoice in your circumstances. Rejoice in the tough games, rejoicing in the losses, Rejoice in the wins. Like we get, like we're blessed to do today as a football team. And uh and just rejoicing, you know, people that you love, the people that are close to.
Speaker 2: You, rejoice.
Speaker 3: We aren't here on this earth to worry about every little thing and uh and and and spar with one another. We're here to rejoice in one another and with one another and love one another. So let's try to remember that this week. It's a big football week, all right, it's also a big life week, you know, it's a big uh, it's a big spiritual week. Okay, all right, So what question do you.
Speaker 5: Have play off first with What do you think that that means for the team or is it kind of focused on one bigger goals?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's huge, it's huge. You never did. We rejoice.
Speaker 3: I rejoice in the fact that we made the playoffs because it's tough to do. It's really hard to do. Look around the league how hard it is to do. I'm so proud of these guys.
Speaker 4: And we have goals.
Speaker 3: The first goals to win the next game. We say, so everything we do all yours to win the next game. The second goal is to uh, to make the playoffs. The third goal is to win the division. The AFC North. Then the final goal is to win the championship, you know, the super Bowl World Championship. So that's that's we won.
Speaker 4: We won.
Speaker 2: We got two of them tonight.
Speaker 6: We won.
Speaker 3: We won the next game, and we made the playoffs.
Speaker 7: John, we know how crazy ring contilers can be with the swings, big plays after Lamarthur is the interception there for Marlon Upper to get the pick six there.
Speaker 4: I mean, just how massive was that?
Speaker 3: It was massive, you know, just the things that we had talked about, the things that the guys were talking about, the idea that you know, it's just good. It's good something something happens, a good circumstance, good, a tough circumstance. Good gives us an opportunity to come back and make the next play and take the next opportunity to turn things around. And for Marylin to do that, you know, we got pressure on that. All those kinds of things. It just means so much. And Marlon also had a baby this week, so we got the game ball. He didn't get the game ball. His son got the game ball.
Speaker 5: John, I'm not saying play goes David a job out of that moment about after all the ups and notes.
Speaker 4: That he's so good.
Speaker 3: He had a couple of big pressures and a couple of big plays there. You know, David's been he's been practicing really well, and they see him get his opportunity and step up like that.
Speaker 2: Really, the whole game was great to see. Proud of him.
Speaker 4: How physical this matchup can be. What does it mean to see you guys rush for too much from twenty.
Speaker 3: Yards on the ground of big big starts right there with number twenty two. That's what it starts with. But it also it also starts with the offensive line. So our offensive line played really great tonight. I thought our coaches did a great job scheming up the run game. Lamar had a lot of checks involved with that. So it's just really well executed run game and a hard runner, the best in the business right there, John.
Speaker 8: I don't know that this is a Steelers defense that was really really good against under center runs. You guys didn't seem to, you know, go away too much from that because we keep the confidence that you guys.
Speaker 9: Could do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we had a good plan. You know, we've got it. We've got we've got a great runner. So it starts with that and the ability to come downhill was important to us in this game, and our ability. We had a couple of scheme things that took some of their pursuit out of it. So I thought that was really clever of our coaches.
Speaker 8: I hope took you guys had any defensive holies today.
Speaker 3: I'm really happy about that. I'm really pleased with that. It was really good. You know, we covered better. They had a couple of downfield throws that we defended without grabbing, you know, so I thought we did a good job.
Speaker 7: John to that point. Kyle Hamilton, I think during the week said, you know, the message for you that you guys have to sort of learn to not lose before you could win. What what did you can you expelld on what you meant there in how much of an example that was tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's something we talk about a lot. The guys don't understand. It wasn't telling them anything they don't know's it's always a topic. But sometimes you want to win so bad and you want to do well so bad that you try to win. Suddenly you try to win in one play. All right, the game is not going to be one in one play. It's going to be one, one play at a time. If you take that mindset and try to a good play one at a time, and if you have a tough play, you come back and try to have the next good play. And suddenly a big run is broken off, you know, or or there's a pick six, or there's a sack. All of a sudden, you look up and the scores thirty four to seven, and when just a few minutes before that it was tight. So that kind of patience is really what it means, is be patient doing the ordinary things well over and over again.
Speaker 2: Lamar's plays, but there's some clutch throws, especially not the last crime.
Speaker 3: Clutch throws, especially against man tight coverage, guys running guys, him, him dotting people on the run in man covers. I thought, Lamar is fantastic, and that's no a little bit of pressure. I mean, our guys did a good job up front, but Lamar was. He's under pressure against this, this group of Russians. The passer always are going to give you pressure. He stood in there and made some throws. Man, he always does to.
Speaker 6: You.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much you pay attention to or not, but a lot of talk going in the week. I'm sure you're sick of it by now losing eight to nine, and a.
Speaker 2: Lot of the conversation was what's going to go wrong?
Speaker 5: How dosn't mean a lot to see you guys play as well you did, especially in the second half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really happy with the win.
Speaker 4: It's a great win.
Speaker 7: No, Darius Washington is a guy you made that switch a number of weeks ago. What what did I guess gave you that confidence send him to do that? And how well is he could play it?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: If you look at our Darius, he's always played well. You know, he had the injuries a couple of years, but he's always played when he's gotten his chances. He practiced as well. Again, I don't think anybody is surprised by it. You know, I'm happy to see it happen though. He's playing great football.
Speaker 2: Mitch Jordan and on telling the kick os, Jordan's got a massive leg.
Speaker 3: You may have noticed that, and uh uh, you know, mixing it up a little bit good, but also kicking into that win down there to that end, he gave us the best chance to bomb one out of the back of the end zone because he's so strong. He's young and uh, but then he got unto the other one. You know, like like a lot of young guys, there's some inconsistency there. But that was the idea, is justice.
Speaker 2: I know he's a.
Speaker 4: Concussion proculvid see Okay, overall you've seen some good.
Speaker 3: Sign Well, I don't know that's a that's a concussion with a game four days from now, so I love to see how that goes.
Speaker 10: Next.
Speaker 1: Up his quarterback Lamar Jackson, who threw three touchdowns in the win.
Speaker 11: Steelers deficial Uh, it means a lot, you know. I feel like we've been busting out behind all season long. Uh, pat ups and downs throughout this whole season. But the clincher playoff against a great team like that, that's that's great.
Speaker 2: I mean we move in the right direction.
Speaker 5: So much has been said about your own personal struggles against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: How gratifying is it for you to play this way.
Speaker 2: Against this team?
Speaker 11: I feel like I could have played better, but interception it really got mad still though, you know that's we don't We don't turn the ball over almost any game.
Speaker 2: We win the game.
Speaker 11: You know that one turnover could have been the difference, you know, but shout out tomorrow in the defense, cause.
Speaker 2: Those guys played their lights out all game.
Speaker 9: Definitely better as a team against them this time in your sit again, what did you do better as a team against them this time?
Speaker 4: In your mind?
Speaker 2: I believe we just well stay with what we've been preaching all week.
Speaker 11: You know, it's just one player at a time, no matter what can what happened in the game, just you know, just move on to the next play.
Speaker 2: And things happened throughout the game.
Speaker 11: Where it was like we could start like having that little like shat back, but we didn't let anything bother us penalties, the look turn over here and there, and if we got stopped, you know, we kept our mind focused on when we get another opportunity.
Speaker 2: Interception, miscommunication, Yeah, yeah, that's all that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what was kind of your reaction?
Speaker 5: Do you remember your reaction when Marlon you know, when you saw Marlon make that pick and return for a touchdown.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I was still mad about the intercession. I thought of putting them back out there, you know that, That's what I was mad about, just putting them in that type of situation where momentum can swing and let that team get their advantage. I was just mad. I was mad into the game was over. I'm still mad. I'm lying, I'm still mad. Game over, I'm still hot.
Speaker 8: Kind Of on that note, I mean, you know, it seems like the last few years, so many things kind of go against you guys in these games with Pittsburgh and the luck is just never on your side. Is that the signal to you that just felt like the fortunes were changing. God to take away credit for me, they want to made.
Speaker 2: A big play, But I believe the thing is like, that's just God.
Speaker 11: You know, we've been preaching that a lot more throughout just the locker room and just to everyone. You know, God the reason we able to perform the way we perform, and just move on how we move them.
Speaker 2: That's God. God, get all the glory, Marvel.
Speaker 5: Did you have the sense of you because we're gonna come out and go to Derek aggressively in the first half. I mean, you guys ran as many times as the first half of this game as you did in the entire previous game with them, And did you kind of know that would be the tone of the game.
Speaker 11: No, because we don't know what those gods. You know that when we played the Stillers. They have this certain type of defense they play against us, you know, and we really didn't know what those guys were gonna do.
Speaker 2: It was it man's on what type of.
Speaker 11: Game it'll be, and our off salone just did a great job at keeping those guys off of and letting him just you know, go get out of the backfield on touched and he just did the rest.
Speaker 12: What does it mean to you to get sas for a thousand yards man?
Speaker 11: That's that's that means a lot, you know, just to have a thousand yard receiver. I believe we got that embatement too, know, you know, he just got to get more opportunities getting the ball thrown to him and that that catching made in the back of his own dope, like you know, and what shout out to Z two.
Speaker 2: You know, that's that's my boy, brother, that's my guy, my brother right now.
Speaker 13: Touchdown against Steelers detail tonight.
Speaker 2: Who Mark he did damn.
Speaker 12: Seven?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is first technogive.
Speaker 2: Damn. I'm glad he got it done, you know.
Speaker 11: With the victory, but damn, thanks apprecious for him.
Speaker 1: We also heard from running back Dereck Henry. He had a big day on the ground carried twenty four times for one hundred and sixty two yards.
Speaker 10: He talked about that performance and this win for the Raids.
Speaker 8: Derek, you know, I know you expressed disappointment after the last Pittsburgh game fumbling on the first drive.
Speaker 14: How much did that play.
Speaker 8: Into your motivation this week and your desire maybe show a different look tonight?
Speaker 15: You know what I mean? Uh, emphasis all, we would just finish. We know that if we didn't turn the ball over, have any self inflicted wounds, and you know, give ourselves, give ourselves a chance to win the game, you know, and I think we did that a lot last game. And like gods are locked in focusing on emphasis on from this week to be able to go out there and finish and play the way we did.
Speaker 10: And then this is your this is your second Gradelers game. What what have you learned about this rivalry and what it takes to win this game?
Speaker 4: You gotta bring it every.
Speaker 15: Time, you know, you you you play these guys, you know, but you know, we don't try to make it so much about like the Ribberry. Try to focus on us and what we need to do. We know we play the way we know how Then you know, we give ourselves a chance against against anybody. I know, they're they're a great team, got a great, great defense, great offense. But you know, we just had to focus on what we need to do give ourselves the best chance to win.
Speaker 5: Did just feel like a breakthrough win in a way? I mean not not because of the rivalry part of it, but just because, I mean, you guys face some real tough moments in the second half and you bounce back each time with huge players.
Speaker 15: I think it's just it feels good to you know, get away and knowing that, you know, we had emphasis on things that we need to do to win the game, and we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot, you know, at any point in the game to you know, let the momentum go up the other way. You know, we just stayed focused no matter what happened to East Drive. You know they stayed and encourage and just focused on finishing the fact we did that well today.
Speaker 14: What did you see from the resolve of the team after the interception. It looks like you're about to put the game away there, but to make.
Speaker 8: That, you know, to turn them all over there, but just to bounce back so quickly.
Speaker 4: What did that kind of.
Speaker 15: Show you Yeah, that was a big momentous wing when they got that turnover. But it's complementary football, you know, defense how that back in that Wan did a great job, made a huge play that we definitely needed. And you know, just hats off to those guys, man. They work hard throughout the week to be able to make big plays like that in the game.
Speaker 8: And there's a lot of important reasons to win this week. But given that Pittsburgh might be a team that you see again in the playoffs, I mean, did that add more importance that you guys can show up and earn a w against this team.
Speaker 15: I mean, we don't go in the game feel like we can't win any game. You know, we know some games gonna be tougher than others, but we know we got to make it about us and the way we execute and by the way we work. And you know, everybody's going out there taking taking the one player at a time. You're not gonna win each game by by one play is one player at a time. And you know, it's great to get this win in a big rivalry. Like you said, we might see those guys again, and but just happy to get this win on our belt and focus on this one and get ready for the next one.
Speaker 12: You do more there.
Speaker 8: I think you had close to fifty yards in that first quarter. Did you know that you would be a focused early on.
Speaker 4: In this game plan?
Speaker 15: No, I just focus on whenever the opportunity to get the ball, you know, make an impact and be efficient and be consistent in my.
Speaker 4: Play old line.
Speaker 15: Everybody did a great job blocking to day, so they made my job easy anytime have a game like this, I mean they did a.
Speaker 4: Great job blocking, so they did about a credit.
Speaker 8: Uh you know, John just said Justice, they're still trying to figure out what how he's doing. But how how tough was that moment to witness from the sideline, and how grateful were you that he was able to walk.
Speaker 14: Off the field.
Speaker 15: Yeah, we were all grateful to see him get up and get up and walk off on his own. It was worried at for a minute. It was just we're just laying there, you know, Justice, that's that's my brother man. And I'm glad to see that he was able to get off on the two feet and I'm glad he's he's doing well.
Speaker 2: That was a scary moment.
Speaker 1: Thanks in the locker room today we heard from a tight end, Mark Ands, who scored his first ever touchdown against the Steelers, would agree.
Speaker 4: That was your first touchdown against the Steelers in your career. Yeah.
Speaker 16: I didn't even know that, to be honest with you, but you know, glad to have it. Guys thought well today, happy about the fens and just happy, you know, great win here at emonteen Banks saying that the fans were great and it was really cool.
Speaker 2: How much of a.
Speaker 9: Focus of it this week was I kind of a cliche one play at a time, minimize your saves, those fundamental.
Speaker 4: Things of this game.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it was huge, I mean, and that's what these type of games boiled down to, was being efficient, you know, doing the right things, doing your job and taking care of the football. And I think the guys did great at that today. How much of a difference did it make for the offense to see the defense get some of those takeaways they've bawled out, They've bawled out all all game long. They were flying around, being physical and made big time plays. That was awesome for us when we're giving them.
Speaker 17: Marlon Humphreys interceptions specifically, do you feel like it came out a perfect.
Speaker 4: Time for momentum. It was a great time. There couldn't be a better time to get that one.
Speaker 12: Mark is you know, quarterbacks always take unnecessarily, unnecessarily too much heap for losses and a lot of court for wins. You know, there's a lot of talk about Lamar versus the Steelers coming into this game three touchdowns tonight, beating them the way he did?
Speaker 4: How much? How did? What did that mean to you?
Speaker 14: Just see him get that win.
Speaker 16: Just play after play, you know, just fighting, fighting for your ard, fighting for first downs. He did it time and time again. You know, he's Udini, he's Lamar's he's special and he did it again today.
Speaker 9: And when you get that wide open for a touchdown, let's go through your mind when that when that balls in the here.
Speaker 2: Just catch the ball.
Speaker 16: That's about it. It was, you know, popped wide open. Didn't really expect that, but you know, Lamar, you know, found me and it was great.
Speaker 4: His accuracy to you this year, I feel like has been everyone has been a strike. Have you seen his arm strength progress through this year and his accuracy, Well he's.
Speaker 16: Always had great arm strength, you know, but uh, he's just seeing the game so well, you know that. I think late in the fourth quarter he checked the play to Jay and and it was a huge game down the right sideline. Just different things like that, the game is so slow to him and he's just playing lights.
Speaker 9: Out games to win, you know, the way you did against the Giants and then to beat the Steelers in this game. What does that mean for you?
Speaker 16: Well, right, we want to be you know, we we put ourselves in a great position and have a great you know, opportunity ahead of us this this coming week to solidify ourselves. But this is right where we want to be. And it's all the work that we've done as for this moment and to start winning games and be who we want.
Speaker 4: To be starting to click right, It like just right on time. I think it's week by week.
Speaker 16: We got to continue to prove that, but today felt great. We're looking to build on that.
Speaker 6: He is.
Speaker 2: Can you feel the defense right now?
Speaker 4: What does it feel like from like the tight end perspective? He's just a beast.
Speaker 16: He's just the beast. And if we continue to block and get on guys and you know, move guys off the ball. He's such a playmaker and he's such a good player for us and overall that we're gonna be good to go.
Speaker 4: How much does it energy the rest of the offense when he is running like that and he's the beast.
Speaker 16: I mean, when you feed a guy like that and he's eating, Like, where else do you need to go to?
Speaker 2: Would you ask for sana A twenty fit?
Speaker 16: Just health, health and family and just good graces.
Speaker 1: Next up is kicker Justin Tucker, who delivered a fifty one yard field in this victory. It was big for him to deliver that kick in a big moment. He talked about that after the game.
Speaker 15: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So as a competitor, I want to be out there all the time. And I think everybody around around me knows that, you know, starting with Harves and and Randy and Chris and Sam and Jordan and Nick. But at the exact same time, Jordan's got a cannon for a legs. So you know, if there's a if there's a time where it's gonna be tougher to drive the ball and get the distance, you know, like for for example today, like the Jordan had the one kick off that sailed out of the back of the end zone going to the right of our bench uh into a pretty significant headwind, and do I feel like I could do that? Like, yeah, I'll probably be able to connect on the ball like one out of every five to seven of them and get it to travel like that. But Jordan does have this ability to hammer the ball, So you know, if that gives us the best opportunity to spot the ball on the thirty yard line, then you know, I'm off for it. Like I want our Like I as much as I want to be out there for every single play I play quarterback if they let me. But I think that I think that job is pretty much taken. I think I was pretty much spoken for. But just as a competitor, I want to be out there for every single rep possible.
Speaker 4: But as a teammate, I want.
Speaker 6: To see us succeed as a as a raven I want to see the Ravens win.
Speaker 4: And that's what's important to me.
Speaker 8: It doesn't just given have the last couple of weeks to have gone just to have that fifty one yarder go through and you go two for two today, just kind of how much.
Speaker 4: Confidence does I give you, you know, going into the last couple of weeks of.
Speaker 2: The season, then going into the postseason.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for what it's worth, I still have the exact same amount of confidence that I did a week ago, or two weeks ago, or three weeks ago. Sometimes it just, you know, in the wise words of Treill Suggs, sometimes it just be like that and the ball comes off your foot and it does not go exactly where you want it every single time. Now, like I've said before, I take it really really personally, and you know, as much as I try to stay positive about it, it's very real that, you know, I kind of lean into the negative reinforcement sometimes, you know, I tell I tell myself, like, you have to make this kick if you are worth anything to this team, Like if you're worth anything to your teammates, all the work that you've put in, Like, you have to make this kick.
Speaker 4: Like you don't have a choice.
Speaker 6: So, you know, I'm kind of trying to, you know, toe that line and just remain sane, which is easier said than done, you know, given the nature of the pressures that come with playing in this league. But at the exact same time, I've got great teammates, I've got great coaches, we've got a great organization, you know, So just as far as our confidence goes, that's never waned. It's just a matter of you know, seeing the results, seeing our work come to fruition in a significant way, like it like it did tonight. That was that was meaningful. That was meaningful for us. So I'm glad to have gone out there and played well. Nick did a really good job snapping the ball. Jordan's been doing a really good job holding the ball. Both those guys have been doing an excellent job. So to see all of us come together and perform the way that we are accustomed to is it's a good feeling and it's meaningful to us.
Speaker 4: Was dying a lot going from left to right? What do you did? You make any.
Speaker 6: Adjustments as as far as adjustments go to get the ball to get more distance out of the ball, that's kind of a you know, case by case that that that adjustment would be made on a case by case basis. So if we're out there attempting a fifty five fifty six yarder, then you know, I might have to drive that ball just a little bit and you know, lower the trajectory just to to get the ball to cut through the wind, which was pretty significant tonight about Boswell's fifty one yard of going to the right of our bench was a very impressive kick and he nailed that one. But anytime we line up a kick from wherever we are on the field, the most important thing is making good foot the ball contact, and we were able to do that tonight.
Speaker 10: Next up is center Tyler Linderball.
Speaker 18: Just the past games that I've been a part of with these guys is they do a great job of causing turnovers, physical.
Speaker 4: Team getting to the ball.
Speaker 18: But we knew what we were capable of just you know, executing and executing.
Speaker 4: Our game plan.
Speaker 18: We have tremendous you know, skill players and players on this team that.
Speaker 4: Can get the job done.
Speaker 18: You know how we saw that tonight of you know what we're capable of doing when we play you know, good execution football.
Speaker 5: How essential did you think it was that you ran the ball as well as you did in the first half.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think it's always an important in the first half to kind of set that, you know, tempo in the run game.
Speaker 4: Just being effective in the run game.
Speaker 18: You always want to do that. I think a lot offenses will tell you that's her that's their goal. So you know, it's just allows you to open up more things. You know, it's when the team has to stop the run, they got to bring more guys in the box.
Speaker 8: So how emotional was that swing of Lamar throw the interception to Marlon getting.
Speaker 4: To pick six.
Speaker 18: Yeah, that's crazy, you know obviously as a you know, I'm sure that will be the first one to tell you know, we can't do that down in the red zone. But you know that's just complementary and football. We turn the ball over defense two plays later to get a pick six. It's just, you know, something's happened for a reason, and just a great play for by Marlow.
Speaker 11: Obviously a very physical game when these two teams match up. I mean, as an offensive lineman, how proud are.
Speaker 4: You to see you guys run for over two hundred yards.
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's you know, it's a it's a good accomplishment. But you know, just we've got a quick turn around, you know, another tough team on Wednesday, and just got to enjoy this. But you know, there's still a lot of things that.
Speaker 2: We can get better at.
Speaker 18: But you know, if you had two hundred yards on the ground, especially against the defense like that, you know you're doing some good things.
Speaker 14: How much you like, how much you know much was made this week about mistakes and teams in the past against this team, mistakes, some kind of snowball, and how much you talk during the week about resilience and bouncing back if you.
Speaker 4: Do make some mistakes. Yeah, I think it.
Speaker 18: You know, just we're in the time of the year where you know it's it's gonna be tough to blow out teams. You know games are gonna be close, you turnovers are gonna happen. It's just how you respond. No, and emphasis this week was for sure, taking care of the football. Taking care of football was a number one priority. You know we didn't We didn't do that until a hundred percent of what we wanted to do. But you know, just just something to keep improving on.
Speaker 4: And our defense had our back.
Speaker 1: Lastly, we heard from cornerback Marlon Humphrey, who had the game ceiling pick six in this victory. It's a big week for Marlin and he talked about that after the winter.
Speaker 2: What did you see on the pick six?
Speaker 4: I was right there by the guy and rus Konda he kind of threw it to me and then I was running. I want to make this like pretty clear when I was running with the football, I saw David A Jobo a really great team at the mine, and I was I was trying to pitch him the football. So some people brought up to me that it looked like tawning or something. But I was trying to pitch in the football and there's no tonning there at all. I just want to make that very clear. And the job was a great guy. I want to pitch to him, so and then I got an end zone and it was good.
Speaker 17: So when you talk about not making mistakes in this rivalry, for you to get that pick six two plays after your guy's own interception, did you feel the momentum kind of swing back in your favorite at U.
Speaker 6: J like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. At ye, right before we went out, we were talking about let's get the ball back on defense. You know, that's kind of the what we were the conversation we were having on the field, and to be able to get the ball back to really die out that momentum it was. It was, Uh, it was a good time for somebody to make a play. Ron What did you see on our Darius's man? I I looked up and Russ was kind of running with a lot of green grass, and I hona, I was kind of come and thinking our dares didn't have the the best angle to to make that play, and then he he forced that and that I mean that was a huge play. Uh, that was a huge play to make my ad. I think it uh that that touchdown happening or that forced one, what happened really swing the game. I think that was probably the biggest player the game.
Speaker 13: Martin talk about the ups and downs to the other defense, but you know, public Shi sad since Mons the defense get more turnovers for you guess can have those two turnovers and the bear those game is kind of what's to say about what did you guys have?
Speaker 4: And resiliency of script shows. Yeah, you know, we were obviously we were not playing good football at the beginning of the year, but when you look across the league, the only difference that was really killing us. We had double digit drop picks, not not taking the ball away with Ford fumbles and strip sacks, So that was that was kind of a big thing. You know, sometimes, you know, defenses can be known for getting turnovers, but that doesn't always mean you're a good defense. But when you're not playing well and you're not getting turnovers. It's just a recipe for disaster. And I think playing more sound defense, getting turnovers here and there, you know you can get to a game you're gonna be really successful. And that's that's something Zach Gore has been preaching every day, every day, every day practice practice. I'm telling guys, it's visualize your stuff, punching battle, VISUALI you stuf picking the ball, even when we've gonn walk through and can still visualize these things. And I think it's been what we've been doing in practice, what we've been doing in the coaching. It seems like it's paying off.
Speaker 2: As good as you've been for as long as you have to get let's.
Speaker 5: Be your first pick six or your career.
Speaker 2: I mean, I imagine you thought that what it would feel like.
Speaker 4: I feel, yeah, it felt good. I actually, you know, I think I put my goals for this year a little too low.
Speaker 6: I have.
Speaker 4: I think I had on their six interceptions and one fig and some forest fumbles. I can't remember everything, but it it really feels good to be able to go get a pick, get an end zone, and coming into this game had zero interception yards. So I was like, man, I Hopefully I'm not the first guy to have five or six picked with zero yards. So it was good to try to get that uh average up.
Speaker 3: And in that moment when you had to have a play after you could turn over.
Speaker 2: The momentum just swung and seemed back to them to steal it back. What does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was good. It was big. Uh you know, that's what you want to be able to do, uh, to to put out that fire. You know, our offenses built us out so many times over the past. You know, we give up a touchdown, then they go score. It felt good to be able to return that favor complimentary football. Obviously the mar is gonna be pissed even through it, but you know, we we wanna have those guys back as much as they've had our backs.
Speaker 8: Quick time just kind of how do you what are these next couple of days look like for for you guys already trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a super quick turnaround. I just everybody's got you kind of got to enjoy this one for a couple hours. Hopefully everybody does a little stretch to night. I just did mine. I might a swing about the facility tonight, but a super quick turnaround. You really gotta be a pro in order to have success when you got those quick turnarounds. That starts with recovery and mental work, a lot more iPad work and different things. So we we've handled a couple of thirds in night games, a couple tight stretches like pros, and I think we will continue to do that. You've been really candim this year about the defense and the status of it.
Speaker 10: How do you feel where the defense is going now after this performance?
Speaker 4: I just think we just got to continue to put in the work and practice, continue to be vocal, continue to just strive for greatness, cause you know, I think it's it's just different when you put on that Ravens jersey. The standard of defense, it's got to be it. The the bar set really high, and I feel like obviously it was we dropped it earlier, but now that we've been emphasizing it more and we really taking it upon the players, cause I felt like the calls, we just were not executing the calls that if you go through a lot of the plays, you look at each time there's a big play, somebody's not doing their job. So it's good. The adjustments really kind of been simple. Just eleven guys are now doing their job and success has been coming.
Speaker 2: I beg, was it for the coach again?
Speaker 4: The game ball to you?
Speaker 2: Your son?
Speaker 4: Your name born Suner. Oh yeah, man, it's always good to get a game ball. So super excited about that. I got my little speech that guys know me as long winded, so I tried to make it short.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast, make sure you hit subscribe.
Speaker 10: Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed and subscribe there as well. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you again later this week.