Speaker 1: Hey, they're folks. As of this recording, the jury in the Diddy trial is going back in to continue their deliberations. We do not know how long this could possibly go, but it got us to thinking how long have juries gone in previous big media celebrity cases. I guess you could put it right, Robes. So hey there, folks, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ and Robes of some of the first you start thinking about some of these cases, how long these deliberations could go. I think there are few, you know, and OJ pops in everybody's mind first Christ of course.
Speaker 2: And when you go back and look at some of these big trials as we've done here, it's shocking because they run the gamut. There's no rhyme or reason, just how long juries end up taking to deliberate, regardless of how long the trial actually went.
Speaker 3: So yeah, OJ Simpson nineteen.
Speaker 2: Ninety five, the trial went on for eight months and he was ultimately found I'm not guilty on two counts of murder. How long did the jury deliberate for an eight month trial when O. J. Simpson's life was on the line?
Speaker 3: How long? Just four hours? Four hours?
Speaker 1: Hours? As crazy as that sounds and everything that was at stake in the eight months that it took. You pointed out this before did he do it or did he not do it? It's kind of that simple.
Speaker 3: There weren't complicated charges.
Speaker 1: It did this, this is murder or he did not murder, and so to that point. But it's still kind of astonishing a trial that big, uh, something that was publicized under that much public scrutiny.
Speaker 2: Judge Edo, you remember, I remember all the characters and Mark Herman, Marsha Clark.
Speaker 3: We watched it all.
Speaker 2: I was in my first newsroom in nineteen ninety five and we were all.
Speaker 3: Kato uh oh, kato calen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just didn't understand why he was.
Speaker 2: I really didn't get that either he lived in the back like poolhouse or something. But anyway, yes, everyone remembers where they were. But to think that it only took four hours, and by the way, closing.
Speaker 3: Arguments in the O. J. Simpson trial took four days.
Speaker 1: We were talking about this trial, the Didny trial that they ran over because it was five hours, okay, piped down. I'm sure somewhere those attorneys were laughing at anybody suggesting that the Didty trial lawyers went long. So that's O. J. Simpson. That's the first one pops in the mind. So this is some of the others We're going to go through with you and just try to start thinking about him yourself. Scott Peterson, Casey, Anthony R. Kelly, the Menindez Brothers, George Zimmerman, Derek Chauvin of course convicted in the murder of George Floyd, Michael Jackson, and Charles Manson. Those are the ones we decided to pull up and we were just curious to see and I absolutely had no idea. So let's go to Scott Peterson first. A lot of people remember this, of course, convicted two counts of murder of his wife Lacy and their unborn child. This trial out in California, of course, went five months. This this was as big of a trial as you can imagine in this wor And he.
Speaker 2: Is still making headlines, by the way, because he is with the Innocence Project. He is looking to get a new trial. He has maintained his innocence from the beginning. We have talked to his attorney mar Garrigos, who also believes that Scott Peterson is innocent.
Speaker 3: But yeah, five month trial.
Speaker 2: He was found guilty on two counts of murder. The jury deliberation time on this one man, it took a while. It was seven days. However, they had to restart twice because of the dismissal of two jurors.
Speaker 3: We thought that it was messy with the Diddy jurors. Now, the Scott Peterson trial had all sorts of juror issues.
Speaker 2: The final jury though, when they finally put it together, only deliberated seven hours to come up with that guilty on two counts of murder.
Speaker 3: But I'll see what happens in that case.
Speaker 1: That is not done yet, and we should use this case now to make that point. If anything were to happen with a juror on this Diddy trial, if somebody got dismissed or some whatever might come up. But you never know with this jury, if somebody got dismissed, they would be required to start the deliberations over again.
Speaker 2: And that's why they didn't want juror number twenty five to leave when at first it seemed as though he couldn't follow the judge's instructions. Somehow he fell in line and they've well, they they're making their way all right, Casey Anthony.
Speaker 3: That was back in twenty eleven.
Speaker 2: This one was a shocking verdict for those of us who covered this case. She of course, was accused of murdering her two year old daughter. She was found not guilty of first degree murder. The jury deliberation time on this one also shocking to me. Just ten hours. They took two days, but five hours I guess each day, give or take. That was a quick decision to have it be as surprising as it was.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to track down while I'm talking to you how long that trial took. It was in the summer there, July fourth, when it had started. I'm looking, looking, looking and looking looking. That's always important to try to track down here as I'm talking. But yes, it's Casey Anthony. That was another major, another very much highly publicized trial. And where am I here, Casey? Ten hours?
Speaker 2: I mean ten hours of deliberation, Yeah, I mean that was a quick decision, and it was a long drawn out case that was being tried in the media for sure. I was working for the Today Show back then, and we had Casey Anthony's parents on our couch. It seemed as though it was at least once a week, so they were trying this case in the press even before it went all the.
Speaker 3: Way to the courts. But yeah, they decided quickly on that one.
Speaker 1: Or Kelly, he actually had two separate trials here to consider. One was in twenty twenty one. This is when he was found guilty of nine counts of racketeering, specifically nine counts of racketeering. How long did it take that jury two days?
Speaker 3: Two days.
Speaker 2: The length of the trial was six weeks, so that I mean that makes sense because the racketeering thing clearly is complicated and that was what he was found guilty of for his first roll.
Speaker 3: He had a second trial. This was out of Chicago.
Speaker 1: I believe he's on child pornography charges.
Speaker 3: Child crimnography charges.
Speaker 2: The jury deliberation time eleven hours over two days, so they took the same amount of time to try and figure out whether or not he was guilty of child pornography as racketeering.
Speaker 1: Interesting another case here that again it's an oldie but a goodie if you will, and that it's something we've been with for the past thirty plus years, but it's still making headlines. The Menendez brothers, what's the latest with him? Now they've been trying for the past almost a year, like actual hearings about them possibly getting out of prison within some delay, and then a new prosecutor gets elected and.
Speaker 2: All kinds of Yeah, they suffered some political setbacks with the election in November because the DA there was absolutely paving the way, and then the new DA.
Speaker 3: Said, yeah, not so fast.
Speaker 2: However, Gavin Newsom is looking into potentially giving them clemency. And they also were up for parole, so they were they were re sentenced, and so that means they're up for parole because they've already served this certain amount of time because they were convicted under the age of twenty five.
Speaker 3: They're all of these little rules.
Speaker 2: But bottom line, yeah, they could be getting out very soon. Their trials, however, they were tried together. But Eric's trial was nineteen days. Lyle's trial was twenty five days.
Speaker 1: I didn't remember these two actually tried separately. Initially separately, and Eric Menndez's jury was out nineteen days and came back.
Speaker 3: No over it hung jury.
Speaker 1: Lyles same thing. They took twenty five days and came back no Verty.
Speaker 3: Wow, I didn't realize that.
Speaker 1: I did not remember that took place. So no very there. They decided to try them again, try them together, and then they were found guilty. And that jury took five days?
Speaker 2: Is it because in their separate trials they could point the finger at the other brother No, I did not.
Speaker 1: Remember that at all, But to think that a jury in that case, they deliberate it almost a.
Speaker 2: Month, a month and they that's some that's some dedication and still came back with a hung jury. So yes, when they were tried together they were found guilty. That jury deliberation time still took a while. That was five days. That's that's almost that's a full week in court speak for them to come up with that guilty verdict. And now wealth we shall see if the Menindez brothers actually walk out of prison this year twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: Of course, George Zimmermann found not guilty in the death of Trayvon Martin. This was I mean, this was as hot of a political and racial hot button cases you're going to see. This was a difficult time for the country and the conversations we were having around that time. But he was ultimately found not guilty. Now it's complicated, as this case was ropes. It took them two days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still that's sixteen hours of deliberation. When you look at some of these other deliberation times, it's not as much as you might think with what was at stake, with the political and racial pressure that was on them.
Speaker 3: I mean, wow, that was one where the.
Speaker 2: World was certainly watching as well, and there were a lot of very strong reactions to that not guilty verdict.
Speaker 1: All right, well, folks, Derek Chauvin, Michael Jackson and Charles Manson one of them. The jury took nine days to come to a verdict.
Speaker 4: Stay here, welcome back everyone.
Speaker 2: As of this recording, we are still waiting for the final verdicts to come down in the Diddy trial, so we thought we'd go over some of the main verdicts, were some big verdicts and the time it took to deliberate over the past several years. And we're going to be again now with Derek Chauvin. He was of course found guilty in the murder of George Floyd. Again a huge trial with the world watching and so much pressure on this jury, and they decided pretty quickly. In just two days, over ten hours, the jury decided that Derek Chauvin was.
Speaker 1: Guilty a lot of people looked like, why did take that long?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true, A nine.
Speaker 1: Minute video of him doing what he did when I had to revisit that. But Michael Jackson, I don't have the year on this, But Robes, I don't know how I forgot that. Yes, in fact, he was on very serious crimes, child molestation charges, and there were ten counts he was facing.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize there were that many. I remember, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't follow this trial as closely as I had others. I think maybe it was a little bit before my time. But yes, ten counts of child molestation. And to think, with all of that testimony and all of the eyes in that courtroom, he was found not guilty on all ten counts.
Speaker 3: So how long did the jury take to come up with that decision?
Speaker 2: It was quite a while, and that's understandable given all the testimonies. Seven days, thirty plus hours the jury deliberated and ultimately unanimously agreed that he was not guilty of those heinous charges.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you divide that up? How many hours a day is that? If you do seven days, it's thirty.
Speaker 3: Five hours minus five hours a day or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on a four to five hours a day. This jury, I'm curious to know what they what they have the stomach for, how they're doing. They're exhausted. This is the end for them. It's all emotional. I wonder what this diddy jury. They're working nine to five at this point. Oh the fourth they're out of there by the fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I think they'd have.
Speaker 1: To be all right. And the last one here we have for you had to. This is an oldie, Charles Manson, facing some very serious charges, yes, serious and a lot. He was tried I think with three other women were on his followers were on trial with him on this one. Found guilty on twenty seven counts of first degree murder and conspiracy. I believe this is back in nineteen seventy one. And as you could imagine, this jury took some time.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I didn't realize it was twenty seven counts of first degree murder and conspiracy. So yes, the jury took its time coming up. Can you imagine just going through the evidence of twenty seven counts of murder and each individual person is a victim that matters, that needs to be considered, So yes, it took them nine days, forty three hours of exhaustive deliberations to come up with that guilty verdict.