Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Monday, best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Gooddonalds up operators standing by recap everything that happened over the last four days. A lot of football Eagles over the Bills last night. And you also had the Baltimore Ravens who right now the number one seed they picked up to win against the Chargers Bears and the Vikings coming up tonight.
Speaker 3: And Texas A and M.
Speaker 2: Who would have ever thought in your lifetime that A and M would seek a coach from Duke to come in and try to save their football program. Maybe if it was basketball, Indiana and Houston fired their coaches. Michigan State gets Jonathan Smith from Oregon State got the rankings coming out tomorrow. David Pollock, former analyst for College Game Day, will join us coming up in a little bit eight seven seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show.
Speaker 3: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on peacock, thank you for downloading the app. Poll question from that our one seaton and then we will go with the poll question for hour two and breaking NFL news the coach being fired. No, no, we're gonna wait then we'll get the news of the coach being fired.
Speaker 4: The poll question Seaton O counter who had the worst month? Dan, Ryan Day or Jim Harbaugh. Right now, it's gotten slightly better at eighty seven point seven percent instead of a flat eighty eight Ryan Day. It's not even close. Some people are suggesting the state of Ohio had the worst weekend with.
Speaker 3: The Browns and the Bengals and the Buckeyes.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, this we're going to change up for this hour and actually go with who had the worst weekend? We'll throw Ohio State in there.
Speaker 3: It's very terrible. Giants had about as bad a win as you can get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't want to win those games. You don't want to win those No, No, but they did. It doesn't kind of bother you that that sport encourages people to lose.
Speaker 2: Well, and we're a little more than a halfway through the season, so it's not like you're a week fourteen. It feels like some seasons are over and have been over for you know, there's like more teams that are not competitive, not in the mix anymore, and So that's the surprising part of this that this early in the season we're already looking at teams at tanking.
Speaker 4: I think the Patriots too. They might be the only team in NFL history. I could be completely making this up to might be the only team in NFL history to lose back to back games and only give up ten points a game.
Speaker 3: That doesn't often. That doesn't happen a lot. No, I don't think. No, the Buffalo Bill's had a bad weekend. Yeah, in the hunt? Yeah, I know. Why are you picking on the Bills?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 6: Why not?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I don't mind the Bills.
Speaker 2: Ex they were Super Bowl contenders. Now they're in the hunt. They're with the Broncos in the hunt.
Speaker 4: Those are not those are not the expectations for this team. No, no, no, next to the Broncos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not even next to the Broncos.
Speaker 7: Actually under the.
Speaker 3: Broncos, and we beat them.
Speaker 8: Let's go.
Speaker 6: The Bills are half a game behind the Broncos and only a half a game ahead of the Bengals. They make the poll. Okay, and once again we got the tiebreaker because we did thank you.
Speaker 3: To thank you. We now it's we.
Speaker 8: When it was one and five, we were like, oh, they suck.
Speaker 3: Let's ride.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: While we're on the topic, here's Russell Wilson.
Speaker 9: First of all, we're resilient. I think the best part about us is we've been resilient for all these games. We played some really great teams. You know, there's some you know, top echelon teams, you know, obviously in the AFC. So I think the best thing about us, though, is it's about us. It's about us being together. Our defense has been lights out.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have one five straight. I'm gonna listen to Russ now. I don't know what exactly you said there. We're resilient. The best thing about us is us is.
Speaker 6: One thing I really like about me is me a huge fan of myself.
Speaker 3: I think I've been particularly great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know the best thing about my wife is my wife?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, fair enough? Yes, Marvin So Sean Payton Coach of the year question Mark? Ye, yeah, comeback? Coach of the year.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They I don't know if they. You know, who's not going to win. Frank Reich. He just got fired. Panthers head coach Frank Reich was fired. They lost to the Titans. The owner of David Tepper, who he likes to do this. He doesn't have patience. Billionaires usually don't, and apparently he was very upset when he left the locker room shaking his head and yelled out bleep. The expectations weren't high for the Panthers, but they did trade up get Bryce Young. The report was the owner wanted Bryce Young. There was some chatter that Frank Reich did not want Bryce Young, but everybody went all in because the owner wanted Bryce Young.
Speaker 3: And we see what c. J. Stroud is doing right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he would be doing what he's doing with the Panthers, but he would be an upgrade so far from what we've seen from Bryce Young.
Speaker 3: You're one in ten? Are yeah, one in ten? No draft pick either.
Speaker 2: They've lost a lot of close football games and then Frank Reich says these games are winnable. And since he purchased the Panthers in twenty eighteen, none of the moves made under Tepper have brought this the franchise success. Five different head coaches, including an interim head coach, two interim head coaches, ten quarterbacks have started games for the Panthers. Tepper allegedly preferred Bryce Young over C. J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 2: In the David era, the Panthers are thirty and sixty three.
Speaker 3: Usually starts at the top there, David, Hey, I got a few billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Good, good luck with that, because everybody else in the league has an owner as a few billion dollars, you don't scare anybody.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what are your thoughts on him down in the locker room, yelling at the fellas.
Speaker 2: I don't like owners going in there. Jerry Jones is always in there. Arthur Blank is there. I mean they can. It's their team. But let people do their jobs. Let the coach do his job, the GM do his job. And you know, I'm sure David Tepper is really really brilliant at the job that gave him billions of dollars. But this game, this sport can humble you. It doesn't matter how much money. It doesn't matter how smart you are, how much money you are. There's a lot of luck goes into this. But that's a bad team. It's a lifeless franchise right now, and it's arts with him. He's the owner and he is quick on the trigger to fire you.
Speaker 3: Yes, Todd, you got.
Speaker 6: To control your temper.
Speaker 3: There's no place for that kind of language. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Definitely had a temper tant, Yeah I did. Okay, this is what happens, all right, people lose their job. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Might you call for David Tepper Todd. I'm sure he would. What we have tried. We have tried to get him on the show. Uh, we don't do well with getting I can get maybe one of the top five richest men in the world on and Warren Buffett.
Speaker 3: I just can't get so.
Speaker 11: Cancination.
Speaker 7: Yes, Martin, this feels like a bad I hate this term. But culture, Oh, we're going culture. Yeah, this is the opposite of what like Steelers culture. They fired no head coaches in one hundred years. They've had two head coaches in the past eighty years.
Speaker 3: Like who's he yelling at?
Speaker 4: And what are you gonna be? Okay, okay, David, show me how to do it better. I don't no, I mean Frank Reich is going to pay the price. I think that there were rumblings before this weekend if they lost, would would he fire Frank Reich?
Speaker 2: And he not afraid to fire anybody. But you know, it builds up after a while. If you're a head coach, you get an opportunity to be a head coach, it's hard to turn down that opportunity. But also, you know, going in my shelf life as your coach might be a season maybe two. Are you going to get Bill Belichick to sign up to go to the Carolina Panthers. Wasn't that one of the teams, one of the three teams that maybe the Chargers, that he would end up there, maybe the commander's there. Why would Bill Belichick want to deal with an owner like that. He wouldn't be like, no, no, you know what, I'm gonna stay on Cape Cod here, yes, punk.
Speaker 6: What's really interesting about the Carolina Panthers? They weren't that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing interesting about.
Speaker 6: Right, But here's the thing. They were seven and ten in the twenty two season. They missed the playoffs last year by one game in that horrible NFC South, and they decided, no, we can't stand pat, we can't have an Andy Dalton type and or just find a free agent quarterback. They had to blow it all up and get rid of a great receiver and start over. His decision to start over at seven and ten, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they got rid of McCaffrey. Yeah, I mean, and these are his decisions. Now, Frank Wright got there, and I'm sure he was told we're taking Bryce Young and maybe Frank signed up for it as well. From what I was told, that was not the case, but maybe he did. Maybe he did. Everybody's all in. I'm sure Frank's not gonna say anything that would upset his uh you know settlement here his buyout with David Tepper.
Speaker 3: But wow, that was quick, quick, yes done?
Speaker 12: How small is the least for an interim head coach when you're with the Carolina Panthers if he's gone, What happens to you when you're like not even really the coaches holding a.
Speaker 2: Place interim is with a small eye. Yeah it's not capital eye.
Speaker 1: So how you do this week?
Speaker 8: But I'll be coaching the team in two weeks.
Speaker 2: You know, you kind of come back into the locker room and you know he's put up interim head coach, and then the letters start to disappear on interim like or a head coach like, hey wait, there was a couple of letters that were there before we log Yeah, yeah, we're just taking away letters here. Vanah White, Yes, welly.
Speaker 6: I do wonder you said, Frank right right, will say all the right things. I wonder if he goes the opposite direction, does an interview in a couple of days and says here's what happened, and doesn't tear down Bryce Young. But maybe he tears down an owner who wants to be a football guy, and so he didn't let the football people do the football stuff when we were seven and ten and had a decent team. He decided to explode it. And you know, Frank Reik's he's a player.
Speaker 3: Don't want to hire somebody who talks out of school.
Speaker 6: Very true.
Speaker 2: That would be the only thing that if I'm an owner and he's doing that to that owner, is he going to do that to me? If we bring him in as and I don't think Frank will be a head coach again.
Speaker 6: Well then maybe that could be the reason where he goes all right, I'm going to set the record straight. I'm sixty one, I played.
Speaker 2: But he's going to be an offense coordinator perhaps somewhere. That's the only thing I guess. I mean, I would love it. Give us content for the show, Invite Frank Reich on Todd. Why not let's go and say he's busy.
Speaker 3: Why not? Yeah, let's see talk to him about that unavailable.
Speaker 6: Do you leave the gear if you're Frank K yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't take it with you.
Speaker 6: Don't take the gear?
Speaker 3: No, I don't no, no.
Speaker 2: No, no, uh, I'd have somebody else. I don't think. If I'm Frank Reich, I'm out there going I get your my coaching Carolina coaching jacket here? Yes, Tom, what about a pen.
Speaker 13: Or a sticky note pet?
Speaker 12: Everyone could use those to put it in the kitchen just happens.
Speaker 2: The only game is there long enough to have a fond of memory, You're going, hey, what's your what's your favorite memory there?
Speaker 3: Frank probably doesn't have. I'm gonna keep this visor, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 7: You think he goes back to his house, like, damn, I just bought this damn house.
Speaker 3: This is why you rent. I told you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm sure he was getting paid enough money and then he's going to get a buy out that. Okay, you just you can keep that house in Charlotte. No, I don't think you vacation there. Wonderful city, but I don't think you're going to vacation there. There's certain houses you would probably keep if you got fired, you.
Speaker 3: Go, you know what, I'm gonna gonna keep that one.
Speaker 4: Airport's been under construction for thirty seven years in Charlotte.
Speaker 6: But then think there's a Bojangles there which saves it.
Speaker 2: But does Charlotte have all of those rocking chairs? The white rocking chairs? Is that through Charlotte?
Speaker 6: Oh that's a great question. There's one where you set up and look at the windows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was Charlotte.
Speaker 6: That Denver may have that too.
Speaker 3: Denver's got a silly airport.
Speaker 12: Why is it silly?
Speaker 2: It looks like snowcap Now it looks horrible. Remember when Madonna wore that bra in concert. That's what it looks like. Oh yeah, that's a bad thing. Like twenty brought. Yeah, twenty with the Cones. Yes, okay, that's what it looks like.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they do have kind of that. Uh yeah, Madonna Cones like twenty it's like a crazy circus. Yeah, Paul, do.
Speaker 6: You want to play the Frank Reich buy or rent game? When he got the head coaching job in Carolina? Did he rent a home or buy? I've got the final disime.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say he bought.
Speaker 6: Who thinks he rented.
Speaker 3: I think he rented.
Speaker 6: I think he rented too.
Speaker 7: I think he bought it.
Speaker 6: Frank Reich last March bought a three point four million dollar home. Yeah, outside Carolina.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's our forever home.
Speaker 4: You can't so happy to have forever, So he posted on Facebook, you can't have you can't have a coach who rents if I'm the owner and I bring you in or the media finds out that you're renting.
Speaker 6: What if Frank Reich rents this house to the next coach? Just makes it a regular thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do that, well, like college football. Just own the house, sell at resell it, sell it, resell it.
Speaker 2: Well, didn't somebody own Russell Wilson Junior the Third's home in Denver and then either did he sell it to Russ?
Speaker 3: I thought that that.
Speaker 2: Happened in Denver or somebody did that, like, hey, just come on in, stay at my crip.
Speaker 3: Like Carmelo Anthony or something like.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, it feels like Mellow had unbelievable state.
Speaker 6: Yes, Russ and Sierra have a twenty five million dollar mansion that they well.
Speaker 2: You can't say twenty five million without mansion. Yes, it's hard to have I have a twenty five million dollar home.
Speaker 6: It's not a cottage. You got a cape Y pixture upper. Yeah, twenty I say twenty five million dollars. Yeah, Okay, most expensive home sold in Denver history.
Speaker 4: I feel like I feel like the words compound should be attached to that, not just mansion.
Speaker 11: Check.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Frank Reich has been fired. We'll get to phone calls coming up. And uh David Pollock on loan, former Georgia Bulldog and Bengal defensive end and analyst for a college game day for many, many years.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Dynasty What's Good, Johnisha main Man, Michael Smith, esteemed NFL analyst and certified fantasy football legend.
Speaker 15: Allow me to present to you.
Speaker 8: Your new favorite fantasy football.
Speaker 15: Podcast, The Dynasty Exchange, hosted by my first round rookie picks, Davis, Dylan, and Josh, three guys who most definitely know their stuff. They're the co commissioners of the Coolest and most cutthroat dynasty league you'll ever come across the Yacht Club. And now they're the co hosts of the most Elite. Now make that the definitive dynasty program.
Speaker 8: In the game.
Speaker 15: It's dedicated to only the most devoted of diehards, the guys like me who can't stay off sleeper in KTC, and trust me, you won't regret making the choice to follow their dynasty advice.
Speaker 14: So Michael Smith presents the.
Speaker 15: Dynasty Exchange on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: By the way, the last NFL team, Seaton was wondering the Patriots have given up ten points in back to back games had lost both of them. The last team to lose back to back games while allowing ten or less points in each of those games the New England Patriots in nineteen ninety three. They lost ten nine to Seattle and then nine to six to the Colts as well. Unless you were paying me, I couldn't watch the Patriots and the Giants. And even then, if you were paying me, I don't know if I could watch it completely, all right. David Pollock, three time All American at Georgia and former ESPN college football analysts joining us on the program. All right, let me start with Alabama and Auburn. How does that happen? How does that happen? David Auburn.
Speaker 8: That's the only thing you need to say, is Alburn. I feel bad man. You mentioned the Patriots.
Speaker 16: It makes me think of the Jets, you know, like the stuff that have happened to the Jets over the years.
Speaker 8: But I was.
Speaker 16: Sitting there with my son and I literally my son goes, he's a ninth grader. He goes, rush too, and drop everybody else. I go, no, no, no, no, I said, I'm bringing at least four because you get so much time in the pocket. Otherwise than they're going to buy time and eventually, ticky three yard field, somebody's gonna have a chance. You can't cover all the grass. But I didn't think Alburn did a good job. You can't turn your back to the quarterback. You can't not see the football in a forty yard pass coming down the field. Your feet should be set in the end zone. Only Auburn feel bad for man because they had the game.
Speaker 8: One drop.
Speaker 16: The punt you know, late in the football game, gave Alabama the chance and just like Alabama does so many times, they take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Imagine if Alabama had lost that game heading into this game against Georgia.
Speaker 16: You know, remember a couple of years ago when Georgia was one, they had that overtime thriller with Auburn and it took the sales.
Speaker 5: Out of it.
Speaker 16: Everybody said, Alabama's done, they look horrible. Bryce Young got sacked twelve times something like that. It definitely would have changed the dynamic. But Alabama still, you know, in the playoff picture, they still got Texas, but it would have taken some of the team out of this game.
Speaker 8: But this game is going to be awesome regardless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have that game coming up Michigan against Ohio State. The fallout from that, does Ohio State? Should Ohio State stay in the top four?
Speaker 8: No? Absolutely not. They shouldn't stay in the top four.
Speaker 16: And I would take them out now of the top five, six, seven, I'd put them behind them.
Speaker 8: And listen, here's the thing with Ohio State.
Speaker 16: To me, Ryan Day is now forty and oh dan against the Big ten and one in three against Michigan, and to me that there's one.
Speaker 8: Reason and this is going to stay in Ohio State fans a little bit.
Speaker 16: But it's toughness, like Michigan lives in a state of tough you know, listen to Ohio State. Credit to them. You can tell they've worked on it. They want to be more physical, they want to run the football. But that's who Michigan is constantly. They've won the Russian Battle of the last three years. The reason they've won it. But no, I think Ohio State would need Listen. If you watch their offense, they're okay. I mean they're pretty good. They're not an elite offense. They're not a great offense. We remember the Notre Dame game, another good opponent they played early in the season.
Speaker 8: I think Ohio State's good. I don't think their final fourteen.
Speaker 3: Is Ryan Day on the hot seat.
Speaker 8: No, I don't think he is.
Speaker 16: I think that when you look at forty and oversus the Big ten and then one in three versus Michigan. I put this way, I don't think he's gonna get fired. Does this bring more pressure to him? Yes, Not only have you lost to hardball, now you lost to an interim coach. Like that's not good. But man, it's hard to say somebody that's been that successful, you're gonna fire him. I'm not saying to be unprecedented, but the dudes make the college Football Playoff a couple of times.
Speaker 8: He's been there.
Speaker 16: But I definitely think this is disappointing. This hurts, This stings. It's something that's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Man, are you going to fire a guy that's been this successful and good?
Speaker 8: I don't see that happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But you know what this comes down to, it's can you beat Michigan? Can you beat Ohio State? You can beat Purdue in Indiana and Minnesota and nobody cares can.
Speaker 3: Say yeah, nobody cares yeah?
Speaker 16: And winning big games and they have it, won big games. I mean you see against Georgia, they had an opportunity to win the game, but they didn't. And they've been there to win two big games. I get it, I understand it. I just who else are you going to go get now and be like, oh, yeah, that's the guy, Like that's the guy that's going to replace Ryan Day and be a clear cut above what he's been able to accomplish.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me go back to the toughness thing, because lou Holtz brought this up. Others have brought this up that Ryan Day doesn't have tough teams. How do you get a tough team.
Speaker 16: Toughness isn't like something that's that's all of a sudden, manufactured on game day. Like, toughness is the way you live. Toughness is the way you practice every single day. It's the way you talk to the kids, like you have to bring energy and effort and toughness every single day. Your teams take on the persona of your coaches. That's the fact, Like however, you live constantly. So I think because they've been so spread through the football, like running the football was kind of an afterthought, I think it's been kind of left behind. I'll say this this game, Ohio State wasn't manhandled like they have been in the past. They showed more toughness fourth down and short though. I got to see you believe in yourself and in your team and you've got to go for it. It's a couple of mistakes away, but toughness is something that is given to your team through you, the way you coach them and the way you take them through practice every single day.
Speaker 2: I never thought in my lifetime that Texas, A and M would hire a head coach and hire that coach away from Duke, right, I mean yes.
Speaker 16: But when this came up though with A and M, I thought Elko was a great fit for a couple of reasons, Like he's already been there, he knows the culture of A and M super successful. He's also the opposite of Jimbo Fisher. Jimbo Fisher is a different bird. And I don't know, Jimbo Fisher has done a really good job accumulating talent, but a zero good job of doing this and bringing people together.
Speaker 8: And obviously Ilko was.
Speaker 16: Not the first you know name that they had on their list, and they went after other people, and so be it. But I think really really good defensive coach, really really good dude, disciplined, tough, not going to be Jimbo asking. Everybody will be excited to see what they do on offense, because you know Jimbo and the offense obviously has been lacking behind for the last several years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got to get a quarterback. Can't they buy a good quarterback with all that oil money?
Speaker 3: Do you figure?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 8: I mean, they're spending it.
Speaker 16: I mean, and here's the thing, like you spent all that money to buy Jimbo out. Now you've got to spend now you've got to get everybody excited again, and you've got to get everybody giving again. And I know all that money there is different than our money, Like it's kind of changed cushion compared to me and your bank role and not eying and Dan's world either, by the way, but like it's it's the money's there that the spending is going to be there. So I need somebody that can develop, somebody that can build a culture.
Speaker 8: And I think that's why El Doozer guy.
Speaker 2: This was like the last weekend of college football as we know it, you know, with the Pac twelve, Yeah, having a big ten SEC playoffs, all of those things.
Speaker 3: What concerns you the most moving forward?
Speaker 8: Well, I think we've already lost the rivalries, those are gone.
Speaker 16: The travel across the country, like it's going to be strange, man, And you obviously kill most of the budgets of a lot of other teams in the off season. They're going to have to be inconvenience the most. Football won't be inconvenienced as much. But I think just losing the luster that was college football, losing the traditions, losing the passion some of that stuff. Man, I know it's it's like the old guy talking probably and I love watching this.
Speaker 8: I love watching that. But a lot of those things are going to be gone.
Speaker 16: A lot of those rivalries are going to be gone, a lot of those coaching staffs and those teams, Like a team like Washington State will almost beat Washington Like.
Speaker 3: Where do they go? Oh?
Speaker 8: Do they fall off the map?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 7: Do they?
Speaker 8: I mean Oregon State?
Speaker 16: You know their coach now goes to Michigan State obviously, Like do they fall off the map? Like, I just it stinks for those type of programs that we've had. We've seen some history, we've seen some cool things from and those those things.
Speaker 8: Where do they go?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: Who gets your Heisman? Vote?
Speaker 8: Jayden Daniels. I mean, listen, people are going to come out in me.
Speaker 16: I know for the three losses, But dude, if you watch college football every weekend, I have a standing tweet every Saturday. Jaden Daniels is the best player in college football. Jaden Daniels is the best player in college football. He's gotten ninety He's got ninety plays of twenty plus yards or more. You know what the next closest is Dan sixty one, sixty one, Like he's a human highlight film. He can't control to his defensive stuff. But man, over eleven hundred yards rushing, over fifty touchdowns, and if you want to talk about over fifty touchdowns, that's that's Cam Newton, That's Joe Burrow, that's t Bow, that's that type of you know, numbers that he's put.
Speaker 8: Up this year. He's he's the best player I've seen.
Speaker 16: I'm so interested to see him go to the next level because he's got some lamar to him, some of that shake and that slight build, but throws the football a lot better, especially at this point in his career. But man, he's to me every every every week I turned on the television, I watched He's the best player.
Speaker 2: And then you got probably the two favorites. They're both transfers with you know, Daniels and Bo Nicks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then vo Knicks is really really good.
Speaker 16: And how about that story Dan, Like Vo Nicks comes in as a freshman, you know, to Albury and his dad's alma mater, you know, beats Oregon and then and then the sizzle comes off and the program leaves and then he goes and rebuild himself.
Speaker 8: And I'll tell you this too. I think Vo Nicks is a first round pick.
Speaker 16: Like that's how much his story has been turned around of being left for gone and now leads the nation and complete some percentage passing yards.
Speaker 8: Like doing a great job carrying Oregon.
Speaker 16: I just and he's a great player, but watching him and Jaydon Daniels, the rushing component, the explosive play component.
Speaker 8: Man, that's to me the separator.
Speaker 2: But I wonder though this weekend with Oregon and Washington and if bo Knicks has a big game, this is you know, everybody has to have a standalone game, and he would have another opportunity for a standalone game where Daniels would not one hundred percent.
Speaker 16: And listen to the voters in the past, they want you to be on a national championship contender. And so I think you got Pennix and Nicks bolt still alive. The Washington quarterback is best game. One of his best games was against Oregon. He goes and lights up Oregon again. I think people are going to be like, wait a minute, you got to be on Championshpeak, which I don't agree with by the way, that doesn't make you the best player because you have the best team around you.
Speaker 8: I don't agree with that at all. I never had and the way I vote isn't that way.
Speaker 16: But bow Knicks has an opportunity of stage avengel loss after last week too against Oregon State, you've been a really good ranked opponent. Dan, that's the best he's looked. They were explosive. It wasn't dink and dunk like he was taking shots. It was him making big time plays. You do it again against Washington with everybody you could go get that thing.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you again, Thank you, Bun.
Speaker 8: Great hearing me. Dan.
Speaker 2: David Paul, three time All American at Georgia and a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, the former ESPN College Football analyst. A couple of phone calls here John and Miami. Hi John, we'll give you our best and worst of the weekend coming up in a little bit, Hey John, Hey.
Speaker 13: How are you just a quick best and worst of the week yep. As you may know, New Mexico State has not made a Bowl for fifty eight years up until twenty eighteen, and we're going bowling again for two years in a row, and would it be interesting? We played in Minnesota with Jerry Kill in a rematch game there and the worst was we were up by eight with fifty five seconds left in basketball against Lewinville. They tied it up and we had six players ballot out and finish the game with four players.
Speaker 8: How about that?
Speaker 2: Thank you, John, thank you, thank you for updating us on New Mexican football and basketball New Mexico State. Yeah, gust In la Good morning, Gus, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Good morning, mister Patrick. Hope all you boys had a great weekend. Best more to the weekend, Best of weekend, Matt Steelers going into a nanty, ugly Cincinnati stadium, bad weather, bad offenses and everything, and still managed to get four hundred yards of offense. But that's ugly offense.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, they finally outgained somebody. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 5: But watching that game, man, you would never know. And then worst of the weekend. I saw that in the Bill's Eagles game. I think his name is Shaq Lawson, defensive tackle, defensive end, went and approached a fan from going off he look, I get it. Eagles fans are like in a world of their own they're not the prettiest of the best, but seriously, what's gonna happen one of these days?
Speaker 17: It's like, look, dude, I get that NBA players they approach fans, and NBA players cannot fight to save their lives. If an NFL player where to connect with a fan that is a giant versus a normal human, we've got serious problems here. It was not a good look for the Bills or for shack Loss and you know, just an ugly, ugly thing that could have been even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know what is said and in that moment and then somebody reacts to it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we see this.
Speaker 2: There seems to be so much social media videos that are out there with just fans on fan violence. I mean a crazy amount, and probably because more people have cell phones and they're recording these. But you know, the NFL is going to come down hard on shacklasson and rightfully. So you can't engage. You can't, you want to, you can't. If you do, you pay the price. Flip in Rowley, Hey, Hello, Hello.
Speaker 8: DP.
Speaker 18: Dannett's first Time Long Time five ten, two thirty got a quick best and worse of the weekend. Best in the weekend my NC State women's basketball team taking number three Colorado to the woodshed by eighteen, quietly the hottest team in the country after beating Yukon as well. Shout out to Mars and Uh. Worst of the weekend, Drake May's gonna be leaving UNC after the season, and inter State won't have the opportunity to beat him anymore. We're only going to be three to zero against him, and it's gonna be tough to see him go.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, Flip.
Speaker 2: By the way, Flip was calling from Raleigh. Tyler spelled it rowl e y and I'm going where is Raleigh? And maybe he was spelling that out phonetically for me from Raleigh. Okay, he's busy. He's got a lot of things going on back there. Oh Al in Atlanta, Hi, Al, what's on your mind? Are you the division leading Falcons right now?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 8: We are.
Speaker 10: Jesse Bates, damn yeah, Jesse Bates and his two turnovers in the red zone. That's my best quick throwback to last week? Am I the only person who goes sock sock pants shoe shoe? Uh?
Speaker 3: And oh no, no, like sock SoC pants shoe. Now I do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, Actually I'm I'm usually pants sock sock shoshoe, but on occasion it's definitely sock sock, pants shoesho It happens, It happens.
Speaker 10: And then worse of the weekend, University of Illinois in their fourth quarter, so close to being Bowl eligible for the first time, and I don't know how long, and they just got the bed and let Northwestern run up the score and just completely dash my dad's oops for another bowl game in the University of Illinois history.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thoughts and prayers for your father. Uh Ben in Minnesota? Hi, Ben, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Good morning Dan and Dan Epps and size nine and a half. I went under another surgery here a couple of weeks away. I had a planner protected me. Saw him back on the bed, lay in the bed again, and I was wondering. I was gonna tell you, guys, keep up the good work. And I was wondering if anybody would be willing to take a part of the face bet with the Viking Bears tonight.
Speaker 2: Are you able to keep up the good work there? Ben, I'm trying with any scooter, Yes, good?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: So what's the bet.
Speaker 11: I'm taking the Vikings to win tonight, and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to take the Bears tonight.
Speaker 2: Well, wait, straight up, yes, sir, Well that that's not an enticement there, Ben, Are you on medication?
Speaker 11: Unfortunately?
Speaker 6: Yes, by like a vaseectimy. Bet he has to reverse his one of us has to get one that stake.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this is a pie of the face. Yeah no, no, no, this isn't a vast sectomy. Bet correct?
Speaker 3: Ben?
Speaker 10: Correct?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: Would anybody like to Nobody's going to take you up on that, Ben.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But good luck to your Vikings tonight. They're favored by three I hope. So all right, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yes, I wasn't sure what what medical procedure did he have?
Speaker 3: Did he have a reverse vast sectimy?
Speaker 6: He had some fancy word before vasectomy?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, all right, let me take a break, we'll come back. We'll give you our best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: After this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App Age seven to seven to three DP show. By the way, when it comes to celebrating me, your sporting events, know where their city compares to Las Vegas, the city where spectacle and celebration are woven into the very fabric.
Speaker 3: Of that community.
Speaker 2: Las Vegas conventions, the unexpected embraced. It's not just celebrating, it's celebrating with an edge. And we look forward to going to Vegas for the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: All right, todd Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 19: Best of the weekend down at one point by eighteen. Oklahoma State running back Ali Gordon. The second runs for five tds, including the game winner in doubt. Cowboys beat BYU forty thirty four grab a spot in the Big Twelve title game. Gordon finishes with one hundred and sixty six yards rushing fifteen eighty so far the season. Worst of the weekend can't be overstated. I know we've mentioned it. Auburn hands down or maybe hands not up high and.
Speaker 12: Oh, okay, fourth and goal with the thirty one Alabama QB Jalen Milroe takes the snap with Auburn rushing just two. Isaiah Bond touched down in the corner of the end zone over a Tiger's cornerback DJ James. Auburn loses their fourth straight Iron Bowl to the Tide in hopelessly dramatic fashion.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven, twenty fourth, all Right, see you, no counter.
Speaker 4: Best of the weekend Trevor Lawrence's statement game question markin all Right, he's been a little up and down this season. People start saying maybe he's a bust. But that's a hell of a that's a hell of a win for them.
Speaker 3: Well done.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, my worst weekend. Dana Holgerson relieved of his duties. One, I didn't even realize that he was still coaching. But two, one of these dudes gonna realize just stay at West Virginia. Rich Rodriguez left for a bigger, better job theoretically, and I don't know what he's doing these days.
Speaker 2: No, No, he's Jacksonville State's going that's right, He's the new Jacksonville State head coaches.
Speaker 3: He's going to a bowl. Gage so is James Madison. Well, it's taken a while for him to get there. Yeah, it has, it has.
Speaker 4: So he basically was in purgatory for a long time and now he's bubbling back up.
Speaker 3: Agains.
Speaker 4: Dana Holgerson the same thing, man, just stay there. He had a good thing going. Yeah, they don't have high expectations. Yeah, although the problem is that they did have.
Speaker 3: High expectations for a little while.
Speaker 4: They're like, no, we're balling. We got Gino Smith and Tavanas. Then we got thinking back to Major Harris Marvin.
Speaker 7: Our best the weekend my Heisman winner Jayden Daniels two hundred thirty five yards, four touchdowns and a forty two thirty win over powerhouse Texas A and M. Since my sarcasm, there worse of the weekend man the entire Lions from the halftime show with Jack Harlow, the Lions losing on national TV. They were really good and then they lose to a below average Packers.
Speaker 3: I said this a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Is there a chance that the Packers end up with the same record they had last year with Aaron Rodgers and the Jets end up with the same record they had without Aaron Rodgers this year because the Packers beating the line.
Speaker 3: That's the first time I've watched the Lions game.
Speaker 2: It feels like since probably Barry Sanders where I go, they got a really good chance. I mean not chance to win, a chance to really showcase who they are. And then I'm watching, I'm going, what is going on? This team feels like it's regressing.
Speaker 6: Yes, going back to Thanksgiving Day, I don't know Jack Harlow's music that well, but in interviews he seems like a really fun guy, nice guy, big sports fan. His halftime show was not elaborate. It it looked like a bunch of eighth graders got paper mache and said build a set. And then it was followed up by Dolly Parton's halftime show was a boss where she dresses a Cowboys cheerleader and pulling it off well, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, not literally. Yeah, no, she wasn't pulling off the cowboy cheerleader.
Speaker 3: She was wearing it.
Speaker 6: She was wearing it at seventy seven. And you know she's out there trying to do her best. And man, what a national trade show, what a great shows. Nice Dolly Partners Austin she is.
Speaker 4: Yes, I don't think it's a surprise that Jack Harlow's halftime show or whatever it didn't go over well when it's basically almost the anniversary of the Creed halftime show that obviously is legendary.
Speaker 3: And then we should bring creedback that Yeah, yeah, smart.
Speaker 7: And I think rumor is that Dolly Parton wrote I Will Always Love You Angel Lene in the same day.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know musicians artists always talk about you know, it came to me in like fifteen minutes, and then you write a song and you go okay, and then people spend their entire lives looking for that fifteen minutes. Uh anything else. Marv never was said, well that's it for me, okay, Paulie. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: Best of the weekend Washington Husky's wide receiver Roma Doonze.
Speaker 2: That guy is the best player on the field. Yeah, one hundred and thirty two unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Seven catches, one to twenty and two touchdowns. But for the season he's got thirty thirteen twenty six receiving and thirteen touchdowns. It's too bad a wide receiver could not get brought to the Heisman because he's as responsible as anybody.
Speaker 3: Michael Pennix is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that dude, when he's on the field, he must see TV's awesome.
Speaker 6: The best of the weekend is the Iowa State Cyclones versus the Canstate Wildcat in the snow. Snow games are so rare, and I love that they didn't plow the field. They just left the snow out there. They plowed a few of the lines and the goal lines saw like this Abu Sama the third two seventy six and three touchdowns for Iowa State. Great snowgame.
Speaker 3: My best of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Christian Brothers College High School's Jeremiah McClellan a great catch, helped that team win the state championship, and he is committed to Ohio State. So when it comes to celebrating, and we think of Las Vegas and we look forward to that, although I don't know if we'll be celebrating that much when we go there for the Super Bowl. I was telling my wife. She goes, you know, i'd like to go to the Super Bowl. I said, okay, I get up at around four fifteen and out the door at for thirty hunt and then probably go to bed around seven thirty or eight o'clock at night.
Speaker 3: Who's with me?
Speaker 2: And she goes, well, wait a minute, Like you're not going to go to any shows? I said, if there's one around five o'clock, yeah, you know. Can you two play at around five o'clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, I think we've had plenty of early calls for Super Bowls, and I feel like we've done a fair amount of celebration. We do early celebration. Yeah, yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I think it's gonna be awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a city where spectacle and celebration are woven into the very fabric of the community, and Las Vegas where conventions are held and unexpected is embraced.
Speaker 3: Not just celebrating, you're celebrating with an edge. I think Blue Man Group has a matinee if anybody's interesting, I'm all for that. All for that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what, there's a celebration, there's something to do around the clock there Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: We'll be there. Yes.
Speaker 6: I do love when you're in Vegas though, and you have like the early flight and you have to get up like four fifteen, and you go down to that lobby and you see people who are still rolling at four or five six in the morning and you're trying to get to a flight, and the difference in the state of your life at six o'clock in the lobby of a Vegas casino is wild.
Speaker 3: Plus, you always hear the slot machines dingdingdingdingdingdingding are that will oh fortuiting? And then you go to the airport and there they are. Can't get away.
Speaker 6: From that airport so close to everything?
Speaker 3: Yes, time, is it really being.
Speaker 12: Into oxygen to keep people awake longer?
Speaker 6: Is that just some kind of myth?
Speaker 12: I always like that cool crisp baar when you walk into a casino. It just it just seems like a better ventilation than your average place or your.
Speaker 6: Hotel room or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why do you like going to Vegas? Todd? The ventilation? I really enjoyed that. I like that breakfast.
Speaker 12: Buffet four in the morning, steak and eggs, let's go.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm all for that, whether you're getting up at four or you're going to bed. Good stuff.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We look forward to going to Vegas here in February. Final hour on the way after this