Speaker 1: Welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten Podcast presented by Cisco. I'm your host Brian McDonald, joined by forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polares. Today we're diving deeper into some NFL off season news. We're going to be recapping the NFL Scott Combine, taking a look at the free agency period that's coming up real soon, and taking a preview look into the twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Five NFL Draft.
Speaker 1: But to start, let's recap the scouting combine that just wrapped up earlier this last week. And what's going to be really interesting about this combine is that we're going to be looking at a lot of speed in these upcoming prospects and upcoming NFL Draft picks. The twenty twenty five combine participants recorded, on average, the fastest forty yard dashes at a single combine since two thousand and three, an average of four point six seconds in the forty yard dash, and the fastest was a defensive back out of Kentucky, Maxwell Harriston. He ran a four point two eight forty yard dash. And another really interesting prospect that I want to cover with you, Lindsay, was a defensive back out of South Carolina, Nick and Menworri, What do.
Speaker 2: You know about him? What makes him really interesting to the Niners?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so his measurables pretty crazy. So eleven feet six inches on the broad jump, a four to three eight forty yard dash, and also the highest vertical of any of the prospects coming through the combine forty three inches. And then also I wanted to call attention to his perfect ten relative athletic score that.
Speaker 2: Is pretty historic.
Speaker 3: He is rated first among over one thousand strong safeties that have come through the combine from nineteen eighty seven to twenty twenty five. And he's a particular interest to this podcast because he has been slated as a mock draft prospect to the Niners, who are picking number eleven overall. Obviously, these mock drafts are all speculation. I think that's kind of the bulk of the media coverage.
Speaker 2: That we're in fun that you could play with.
Speaker 3: This is the fun part, right, So this is a name we've seen in several mock drafts. I think just really cool to see the measurables that he was able to put up at the NFL scouting Combine, certainly very impressive to a lot of teams that I do think this is someone that saw their draft stock rise over the four day events.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hit the highest vertical at forty three inches, which is a standout to the group who the second highest is only at forty one point five inches, only at also pretty impressive. He also had the furthest broad jump like you mentioned, at eleven feet and six inches. And yes, he's been mock draft of the forty nine ers as a first round pick by CBS Sports Ryan Wilson. So a prospect to keep your eyes on as we head into the draft. But now that the combine is over all eyes are shifting over to the next date in the NFL offseason calendar, which is the free agency signing period. The twenty twenty five new League gear and free agency signing period begins at one pm Pacific time our time, four pm New York time on March twelfth.
Speaker 2: So what's that to look there for?
Speaker 3: Well, before we get to that, right now, we are literally add another deadline, which really doesn't affect the Niners. They opted to not use the franchise tag, but that franchise tag period was from February eighteenth to March fourth, which is today as we are recording this podcast, so a non issue for the Niners. But yes, like you mentioned, the new league year is right around the corner, and certainly there are several players on the forty nine ers roster that are set to become free agents, some that have already been taken care of. I did publish an article much earlier in the offseason talking about the full gamut of players set to become free agents. The forty nine Ers have taken care of some of those names, and I'll read them off to you. There was a pretty sizable group of exclusive rights free agents, and all of those guys on that list have been taken care of. They are on one year of deals. That includes defensive lineman Evan Anderson, defensive lineman Alex Barrett, linebacker Jalen Graham, defensive lineman Sam o'kuano, offensive lineman Austin Pleasance, tight end Jake Tongjis, and tight end Brandon Willis. We also saw that offensive lineman Ben BArch who came to the forty nine ers last offseason as a free agent after spending his first four seasons in the league with the Jaguars. He has also been re signed so that's all the business that's happened up to this point. We also saw linebacker Demetrius Flanagan Fowls was released earlier in the offseason. Still a lot of other names that are on this list, so we can go through them. We have restricted rights free agents. This is similar to what we saw with wide receiver Juwan Jennings. Only two names on that list. It's linebacker Curtis Robinson and then also running back Jordan Mason. So the forty nine ers have to decide what type of tender they would like to take with those guys. It's a little bit different than just unrestricted free agents.
Speaker 2: That list very very long, so I'll read through those names. Agains a lot of names.
Speaker 3: Brandon Allen, Aaron Banks, Chris Conley, Josh Dobbs, Khalil Davis, Toshan Gibson, Senior, Kevin Gibbons, Dray green Law, Javon Hargray, Charlie Heck, Talano, Hufanga, Nick McLeod, Elijah Mitchell, Jalen Moore, Pat o'donald, Eric Staubert, Patrick Taylor Junior, Tarvarius Mooney, Ward, rock Ya Scene and Isaac Yadham. So as we're taking a look at this long list, Breed, where do you see the biggest needs for the forty nine ers in free agency and also the draft, which is right.
Speaker 2: Around the corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's always hard at this point, Like you're saying, with mock drafts happening, there's also a lot of mock ideas in free agency. We don't know exactly which moves the Niners are going to take during the free agency period versus during the draft. So I do know that John Lynch very highly interested in creating a younger roster, so we're definitely going to look at some needs in the draft, But with free agency coming up, it's pretty much all positions down the roster. The twenty twenty four roster is going to be looking much more different from the twenty twenty five roster. But as we look at the mock drafts, in what's slated in the draft, we've got defensive tackle, offensive lineman, cornerback, linebacker.
Speaker 2: In safety.
Speaker 1: So I think maybe that's where the Niners are going to target some of the younger talent. But when you're looking at free agency and picking up some of those veteran players, you never know where it's going to be from defense to offensive side and thinking a lot of the linebackers are going to be taking a harsh look at them somewhere defensively in the backfield. You never know how Robert sla is going to influence this free agency period.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of all over the board.
Speaker 1: But what's really interesting I think with the mock drafts and draft season coming up, is that our football ops are going to be balancing, Okay, who have we picked up in free agency since that will be done and over with, and then who are the best players available now that we're picking right outside of the top ten, so there's going to be a lot of elite talent there, and then what are the targeted positions of need.
Speaker 2: As we enter the new year.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot to juggle with as we stand right here in this state without knowing any free agency moves and without knowing what the draft is going to look like.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of all over the board.
Speaker 1: Lindsay, but what do you think are going to be some of the free agency covers versus mock draft covers and what positions do you think we're going to go in starting sooner?
Speaker 3: You know, I think especially with Robert Sala coming in as the kind of i say, new defensive coordinator. He's obviously been here before. I do think he is going to have a heavy hand in both free agency and the draft. And it did want to reiterate the point that you made earlier, John Lynch and company. Really the front office staff is really examining this roster, and it really is about sustainability. As everyone knows, this forty nine Ers team star studded, which usually means that the salaries also follow that, and also a lot of veteran players. So yes, I think that is really one of the big concerns, creating some financial flexibility and then also bringing on some youth to this roster. I was reading a report by ESPN's Nick Wagner. This roster at the start of the twenty twenty four season average age of a player just under twenty seven years old, which is fairly veteran for this league because your time goes very very quickly in the NFL. So again, looking really to the draft, I think to reload this forty nine Ers roster not just for you know, the immediate future, but the future to come. Like looking down farther farther down, the line how you've seen guys drafted and developed like a George Kittle, a Fred Warner. You know, a Ronaldo Green is like a very good recent example of someone who turned out to be a really, really good rookie and you just expect to see him blossom later on in the years. Same thing with safety Malec Mustafa. So you want to create that pipeline of talent that you grow and develop in house and they become your future superstars. And I do think we're going to see a little bit more of an emphasis on that this offseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the forty nine ers will have ten picks to work with in this year's draft, so a perfect opportunity to start bringing in a new lifeline of players. And so far, looking at these mock drafts a lot on the defensive side of the ball, I think analysts are really curious to see how Robert Sala is going to influence this year's first round pick. Yes, ten picks overall to start, and the latest projections player we mentioned earlier, nick Eman war from South Carolina, a safety. There also defensive tackle Mason Graham out of Michigan is a really interesting player to look at when you're starting to create your mock drafts. Daniel Jeremiah called him a dream scenario pick for the Niners. He's ranked fourth overall on Daniel Jeremiah's draft board, and he called it a home run pick for the Niners because he has amazing tape, but his measurables in the combine didn't quite match up to what a lot of NFL prospects were thinking. So he could be a perfect pick for the Niners right outside of that top ten. But on the offensive side of the ball, you could also take a look at Amon Membo, he's an offensive lineman out of Missouri, or Josh Simmons, an offensive tackle out of Ohio State. Also Kelvin Bakes Junior, a tackle out of Texas. So some names floating around and that are matching up on multiple mock drafts across the internet. But it's a lot of fun just to keep tabs on players see where they rise and fall as we go from the combine to free agency leading into the draft. But a lot of fun stuff to cover it. Do you have any eyes peeled on any Pacific players? You know?
Speaker 3: I think really my attention is on the defensive side of the ball and just the needs there. I do think there is an interested deed both at safety potentially at cornerback. Again, a lot of this depends on who stays and goes in free agency, and I think a lot of that is going to be revealed quite literally in the coming weeks as players start finding new destinations or new deals are made right here in house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so faithful, stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We'll have any breaking news Move the Chains episode, So turn on your post notifications on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and YouTube and we'll see you real soon.