Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: As always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app, and we say good morning to all of our great radio affiliates around the country. Florida survives Texas Tech, Duke rolls Alabama Houston big winner over Tennessee in Auburn over Michigan State. So the odds this morning, according to DraftKings, Duke is favored by four and a half against Houston and Florida favored by two and a half against Auburn. You know, when you're watching a game, just like when I was watching John Caliperry and Arkansas blow a double digit lead, like you're watching it in real time and you can kind of see and sense and watch the momentum shifting. And you got to see that with the Florida game against Texas Tech. Texas Tech was playing great, took it inside, they were dominating, double digit lead, and then all of a sudden there's a play, and then there's a play, and then there's a play, and then all of a sudden they've hit three three pointers in a row, and then you start to watch and as I've said many many times on this program, way too many times, if a game is on the line, I don't want to let that star player take the shot, whatever it is. I will not let Walter Clayton Junior, the third take those shots. It might be the second best or third best player. I will not let that guy beat me. He had thirty points, second thirty point game in the tournament. He had thirty three last year in the round of sixty four when he was at Iona. But he's a great shooter. He's a streaky shooter. He is a fearless shooter. Never let the best player beat you. Never never understood that that you let that guy have the ball, go double him. Maybe you do a box and want I cannot let him take those shots because he is as good as anybody, if not better than anybody in the tournament at taking those shots under pressure.
Speaker 3: Texas Tech had this, they did.
Speaker 2: Florida didn't seem to have answers until they did, and then Texas Tech didn't have answers. But these moments, Texas Tech is gone to the final four, and then all of a sudden, the camera work was great because then they would focus in and you got to see it was draining the league. The lead was draining, and you know, the color in your face was draining. It went from Texas Tech red to white and you're like, oh my gosh, we're going to blow this. Houston's going to play great defense. They're not exciting. They played great defense. Got some players who've been there for a while. With Calvin Samson, he's a great coach. Auburn over Michigan, Michigan State and that was fun to watch. Yeah, Bruce Pearl's done a wonderful job.
Speaker 3: And then Duke over Alabama.
Speaker 2: It's one of those where you go, Duke's probably going to pressure the perimeters so they don't get to shoot these threes. Yeah, they've done a really good job here and Alabama. Now Alabama did have some looks and had some shots. But Duke is a really good defensive team. Like you want to talk about offense and defense, They're like the Philadelphia Eagles. You know, they're a great offensive team, three lottery picks, Cooper Flag, unselfish and defensively, they get after it as well. Every Duke team has prided themselves in their defense.
Speaker 3: Seaton, what's the poll question for hour two?
Speaker 2: By the way, you have women's games coming up tonight, yukon USC that's your headliner, and TCU and Texas.
Speaker 3: What do you have, Seaton.
Speaker 4: We got a few of them working right now up on the website. We've got favorite to win the tournament. Obviously, You're choices are Duke, Florida, Houston, Auburn. Right now, Duke and Florida running away with that one. We also put up there. The final four is the best four teams or disappointing? Okay, right now the best four teams has seventy eight percent.
Speaker 3: Of the Oh okay, I'm a little surprised.
Speaker 2: It felt like people weren't talking as much about March Madness, that the best teams were going to be playing for the championship, that you wanted to have that team, you wanted to have that player where you go, have you seen and then there's nobody saying unless you watch Cooper Flag and you go, yeah, you know what, he's really good or Walter Clayton Junior the third Yeah, and he can shoot. But I don't know if anybody's talking about man at Houston can play defense, because that's not exciting. We want that story. We've always had that story. There's always that long shot. We like cinderellas, We like the you almost or you could have a chance to play for the National championship.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See also put up there, the NFL wants to change the tush push, although this says rush push should be tush push because of player safety. It's not a football play or jealousy.
Speaker 2: I think you have to factor in that it's predictable and the Eagles have mastered it well.
Speaker 4: Jealousy right now is sixty percent of that phone? Player safety just a mere eight percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no data that will support player safety.
Speaker 3: It just isn't.
Speaker 2: It looks like it's going to be. You know, the guy who gets hurt the most, from what I'm told, is the center, and nobody cares about center. No, no, Boddy. All right, we'll get to some phone calls here. Todd McShay, NFL draft analyst, talking about what the Titans are going to do or not do, and what the Giants are going or to do or not to have that for you coming up here in a little bit.
Speaker 3: Jeremy in New York leads us off hour two on this Monday. Good morning, Jeremy. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey, good morning Dan and crew. Happy Monday, six four one ninety ish. I'd say best of the weekend probably the Pistons tripling their win total from last year. I think that's the first time it's been done in a full NBA season. Worst of the Weekend. I would have liked to see a lower seed in the final four, but like you said, Dan, those teams deserve to be there, so you can't be too upset. I was curious, Dan, would you ever consider it before you sign off in a few years, having some kind of contest where listeners can come in and it's like a winner of a contest. Maybe have a tour of the man Cave or sit in on a recording.
Speaker 2: We've had people in, but very very rare, and some people sh show up.
Speaker 3: We don't encourage that.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean you get to come in, but it might be something that I would consider. Maybe if we did a contest and allow somebody to come in and watch the show.
Speaker 3: It's not very exciting to watch how we do the show.
Speaker 4: Just sayally, it's gotta be ultimately supremely disappointing.
Speaker 6: That's what's my question? Impressive or disappointing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't want you to kind of come in behind the scenes and go, man, this isn't scripted.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's all you guys do.
Speaker 4: Uh Okay, But he maybe we should put on a show for the people that come in here and you know, really acts like we're like diving into make it look more like a NASA launch than what.
Speaker 7: It really is.
Speaker 2: Well, I know one guy who would step up his game considerably if there were people in tod Fritz.
Speaker 8: I get on a Unicycle'm trying to juggle like flaming bowl, I pinch or something that I wouldn't be very good, but it's something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well consider that. I'll consider that. Got a little bit of time. Let me see urso in desmone As.
Speaker 9: Oh it's up, Dan, Hey, thanks for calling me back.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 10: A couple things, couple things for you, Dan. It really excited for you guys to be coming here to Iowa and June.
Speaker 3: That's going to be a blast.
Speaker 10: One one thought that I had, are you going to be able to bring Shay from Irving with you? Will his roommates sign off on that, because I think he'd fit in great here.
Speaker 3: And I I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Look he went to Vegas. I just said, look, I'm not going to be I'm not in control of you. I don't want to know what you guys are doing. He took some of the back room guys out, and uh, you know, they showed up every morning. That's all I ask Dylan and Picture Day Ray just show up every morning, and they did. I don't know if they were all there. When they showed up, they were gambling, maybe hungover, but Shay was there in Vegas. But I don't want to do that to thee great people of Iowa. What else do you have for me?
Speaker 3: Terzo?
Speaker 10: Well, Dan, I agreed with you last week whenever you stated that Cooper flag kind of reminded you of Kevin Durant. Especially after you said it last week, I really was really kind of paying attention to it watching the two games over the weekend. I think that was a great comparison. But I also understood what you said about Kevin Love that it's not a bad thing to compare to Kevin Love. If I had the opportunity, I would love to have his career. I thought he was a great player when he played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my point was don't make it. Cooper Flag, is he the next Larry Bird? And I said, if he could be like Kevin Love accomplished what Kevin Love did, people would still probably view that as a disappointment, and it shouldn't be, because Kevin Love has a borderline Hall of Fame career. I just we tend to do this now all of a sudden, Cooper Flag will be a disappointment to people because well, he wasn't Larry Byrd.
Speaker 3: He's not. There isn't another Larry Bird.
Speaker 2: There's not another Magic, There's not another Michael, not another Kareem. That's the beauty of sport, these individuals. There's not another Luca. That's where we got to be careful with the he could be. He could, but that's why I said, let's lower our expectations. And then people thought I was taking a shot at Kevin Love. And I talked about this in the first hour that I did reach out Miami Heat and he wisely said no need. He understood I wasn't taking a shot at him, and I wasn't. I just want people to realize Cooper Flag is a really good player. I don't know if he's going to be great. He might play for a bad team, bad teammates. Maybe he doesn't make the playoffs anytime soon. Oh, he's a bust that this happens. I've seen it happen. That's why I just want to put it out there. Hey, let him just play, Let's see it. You know what it looks like. He might be spectacular, he's unselfish.
Speaker 3: Now he might get twenty five points. Again, what if he doesn't? What if he's eighteen and nine and five assists? Are you?
Speaker 2: Are you okay with that is? I'm gonna guess most people won't be. That's why I brought up Kevin Love. Those are great numbers. I think a five time All Star won a title, really really good numbers.
Speaker 3: And but that's not going to be good enough.
Speaker 6: Yes, boy, I went back and looked at the last ten number one overall draft picks, and a lot of them took a while to get going. Cad Cunningham, he's great now, took a while. Zion, it's working well now, but the first two years was like up and down. DeAndre Ayden he's got a decent career. It's not number one overall pick where it's a nice career. Yeah, if he was a twelfth pick, Yeah, Markel Foltz bouncing around the league, Ben Simmons, and then you have a Karl Anthony Towns very invented the game back in twenty fifteen. Day twenty fourteen, Andrew Wiggins out of Kansas. It's fair to say he's at a very nice career.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but number and overall draft pick has a difference.
Speaker 2: So nobody was looking at Andrew Wiggins and going see the next Michael Jordan? Right, I mean Karl Anthony Towns. What were they saying? Is he the next.
Speaker 3: Who Cooper Flag has?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 2: Is he the next Larry Bird? I mean that's zero to one hundred and twenty. And that's why I said, let's be fair to we won't be. We won't be in this era of hot takes, no journalism, just throw stuff out there.
Speaker 3: We won't be.
Speaker 2: I will be, but most people won't because that's not any fun.
Speaker 12: Yes, Mark, And there's one thing that we lack a society. Now, patience God for me here. He doesn't come out of the gate like Lebron And you know Night one is Sacramento scores twenty five. Uh oh, we speak too soon about Cooper Flag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get to see it Mothership. We'll have Cooper flag overrated. Question mark let's discuss on get up flag It halfs that oh Okay should have stated Duke not ready for the NBA at nineteen question mark. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan, Happy Monday. That's the weekend. Uh just found out that this is David in Ohio is expecting. So I had a question for you. I need some advice for Yeah, thank you for some advice for just being the husband and being in the pregnancy and just some advice from me if you don't buy.
Speaker 3: Him, when when is missus? David?
Speaker 13: Do keep doing October close to Halloween. So it's kind of scary.
Speaker 2: So uh, try to think ahead. You know we talk about Wayne Gretzky was always thinking of play ahead. Certain guys think of play You got to think a minute ahead, an hour ahead, a day ahead, a week ahead, a month ahead. With your wife, you'll always have to be thinking what can I do for her? And don't take it for granted when she says, oh, I don't want anything. Little gifts, little just little things. You get food you want to bring it in, maybe breakfast in bet she's going to go through an awful lot, and it's something that we wouldn't. The population would be half the size if we were giving birth.
Speaker 3: It just would. Could you imagine Fritzy delivering his own baby.
Speaker 8: I'm going to pass on that.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, can you get like multiple epidurals you're gonna have?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't be more any more attentive like you you have. I should say, be more attentive, and even when you think you're being attentive, be even more because there's gonna be some mood swim and it's going to be directed at you. Just saying. I mean, I got caught with some strays in the delivery room and I'm like, and you.
Speaker 3: Just have to take it. It's like, okay, yes, I agree.
Speaker 2: I am a jerk, you know, And you're like, okay, whatever you say.
Speaker 3: But yeah, you got a long Enjoy the process. How about that? Enjoy it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: All right, thank you David. That's David in Ohio. Yes, and trust the process, Thank you, Tod. All right, Seth Greenberg and the Mothership will join us coming out. We'll have more of the Yankee bats. Are they cheating?
Speaker 3: They all fired up?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 2: Can we find out if the Yankees use these bats in spring training, and did anybody say anything if that's the case, did they have them under wraps? Did they bring them? You know, when the gangsters will bring a gun into like a musical instrument case, you're bringing in a machine gun. No, that's a violin. Just feels kind of weird that they somehow launched this hunting ten and on the Brewers. All right, Well, take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 14: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss and the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 3: I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 14: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up are the Tennessee Titans locked in with who they're taking. At number one, we'll hear from a draft analyst who says, maybe not Seth Greenberg of the Mothership. What a busy guy. He was the two time ACC Coach of the Year at Virginia Tech. Where are those awards.
Speaker 15: In my office? Behind behind my desk somewhere?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Do you proudly display those and like, hey, come on into my office, look what I got. Like if I go into Coach K's office, you know, I get to see national championship trophies.
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, I'm not coach k but I do have two d us to coaching the year, and what I do is a FaceTime from my office. I choled them prominently. Along with the wins against Duke in Carolina.
Speaker 3: What was your record against Duke?
Speaker 15: I was three to six.
Speaker 3: And what were you against Dean Smith?
Speaker 15: I mean ire to coach against Dean, I'm not that old. I coached against Roy. I think I had three wins against Roy. One of them was actually when they were number one in the country at Kansas. It was weird my teams. We had four wins against number ones and they were all on the road, which is kind of bizarre.
Speaker 2: Explain to me the role that coaching plays now as opposed to maybe earlier in the tournament or during the regular season.
Speaker 15: You know, everyone's gonna say this experience have a factor comes f Final four. People who have been through it understand it. Had an experience of dealing with all the requests and media and kind of finding a balancing point for the preparation. I think coaching has an impact every time of the year. What are you going to get, what are you gonna take away? You know you're not going to reinvent yourself in the NCM by tournament. How you get your guys to understand what's the essence of what you have to do to win, and then making sure you're managing the hardest thinking in fountal four as an assistant coaching eighty four with coach hollent Is, managing all the obligations and keeping the guys focused. It's great, it's unique. You got you know, police sports. You know you're practicing in front of twenty five thousand people, You've got eight thousand people that want tickets. Managing all that so you can stay focused on what's most important the game and the very best figure out all right, how do we get laser focused on the things that are most important? And now it's even harder with social media, with agents, with workout gurus, with all the other obligations that players are asked. And then also like some of these guys might end up transferred at the end of the front of four.
Speaker 2: I was talking to John Shier last hour about that that the blueprint it feels like has change where you have the blue bloods are taking away the mid majors, good players to prevent the you know, the mid majors from making these Cinderella runs. They're already. It's kind of circumventing the system there a little bit. Instead of waiting for this, they come in and grab those players. And we're seeing less freshmen impact the tournament other than Duke, and it feels like now it's you know, maybe sophomores, juniors and seniors. Is this is this what we should be expecting in years to come?
Speaker 15: One hundred percent? This is the future one hundred percent. Look how old the Duke? Look how uh the Auburn team is. You're starting on it. There's a twenty five year old, a twenty three year old, a twenty four year old. Uh, you can got one freshman Auburn, Todd Peterford, You've got three freshmen. Basically at Duke you don't have another freshman. You've got every single team. Look at Florida's team, they got four mid major transmits that are having a huge impact on their team. So this is the future, right, you know, with an io would transfer portal and that's why in a lot of ways that this is the way it's going to be. But we've got to get guidelines then we just have to. And we've got to have contracts, and we've got to have incentives. And the other thing we've got to do is we've got to eventually put education back into this thing. Also, like you've gotting guys transferred three or four times, it's going to impact graduation. We've got to have incentives for academic progress, retention, graduation, community service along with along with obviously team success and then maybe some individual success. We've got to have base salaries. We've got to find a way to get this thing back. And I'm all for the players making money, that's not it, but we've got to have some like maybe one. College basketball is a professional sport right now, That's what it is. It's a professional sport. Name a professional sport that has year to year free agency.
Speaker 2: I don't think any well, the owners not allow it to happen that because they, yes, they don't want to end.
Speaker 15: Up and said, well, coaches can go anytime they want. I agree, coach go any time they want. And you see a lot of coaches go from mid major to high major. Seat Kevin Willard go from Maryland to Villanova just a week. And that's true. And what do coaches have in their contracts the two they have two way security. They've got guarantees if they get fired. But they also have buyots. And I actually think the part of the contracts with the players needs to be a buyout. I don't care who pays it. Player can pay it, the school that's trying to get the kid can pay it. But if we have buyouts and it's two ways and we have two year contracts, we can get some continuity in the game.
Speaker 2: All four number one seeds reach the final four second time that that happened two thousand and eight, the only other time. Good thing for the tournament or a bad thing.
Speaker 15: This year a very good thing because those four teams have separated themselves all season. Low all these four teams that I think I'm not mistaking the bid number one in the country. This is the future riving about all four number ones. But the one number ones beat the number twos. You saw what happened to Tennessee, so what happened to State. Yeah, I do. I think it's good on good. You can see the best players playing against each other. You can see the best teams who've earned it with their body of work throughout the season playing against each other. You're not just gonna see a cindel or Ella who gets out. We don't have that many Cinderellas. We have them in the first round of second round. There are very few vcus and Loyola's. That doesn't happen very often. And I look at upsets. If you if you have a one in the three and they're major conferences, and they teams that have beaten other high level teams, it's no big thing. But this year and the last time it was the four number ones, it was in San Antonio. Also this year, these four teams have separated themselves throughout the season. Their body of work said that, you know, let's see good on good. Let's see great defense in Houston and great offense and defense in Duke. Let's see Jane I Broom having as Willis Reed type moment coming out of the locker room, you know, and making that and making that three, you know against you know, a Florida team where Walter Clayton absolutely just took over to games. At the end of the games, I actually think it's we have a great final for him.
Speaker 2: Seth Greenberg, ESPN college basketball analyst. Let me go back to Walter Clayton Junior. I am a big proponent of not letting your best player beat mes, and for the life of me, couldn't understand this. You know that's the one guy, right, everybody in the building knows that's the one guy. Why am I not getting two people at him? Why not am I? And I know he's quick, he's got a quick release.
Speaker 3: All of that.
Speaker 2: I got to take the ball out of his hands. Seth, I don't understand this from a coaching perspective. Tell me what I'm missing here? Well, good, look, that was my philosophy. Every time I want a big game, we take the other's best player out. I mean, it's it was just an automatic. Great McCaslin did that for a thirty six minutes. They blitzed him on every ball street. They got the ball out of his hands. Uh, and they did an incredible job on them. They always committed two to the ball. Kick it out now one time late game, Look that upset.
Speaker 15: It takes two to tag them. So like Texas Tech helped him by missing the free throws, Hexta helped him by taking some quick shots. And then you know Thomas how happened? He makes those first two threes which were huge, one of them on a pass off a double team where they got the ball out of Clayton's hands and he gave it up early and help knocked down a big three. Late in the game. I am one hundred percent agree with you. Late in the game, I thought Clayton did a really good job of relocating quickly before they could sit send a second guy at him. The one the last one he made where he was inside the three point line, about the foul line, and he turned and dribbled out and got himself squared up. I asked Judy Wild a day, how hard I couldn't. I can't relate to him. How hard is that to do? And like it's really hard? So like I give the guy credit for making those plays. But that's what Grant mccasla wanted to do. But he, like he said, he thought it seemed got a little tired and lost its focus. And you know, your focus on that guy, and he said.
Speaker 2: You home, Yeah, And you're right about the free throws, because if they make the free throws, then they're there's no heroics there. How would you describe Cooper Flag's game to somebody who hadn't seen him play.
Speaker 15: The most versatile player I've seen, and I compare him to Grant Hill Scottie Pippen very much, those two guys. I think in Jason Tatum, he's got kind of a mixture of all three of those guys. I mean, he initiate your offense kind of like they do with Tatum and Scottie Pippen. David hes cores at all three levels. People don't really appreciate his seven two wingspan. He's got great defensive range, and he's so damn unselfish, like like he's a terrific passer. I mean, his feel for the game for he's eighteen years old. He's eighteen years old, and he just plays like total like I got this, We're in good shape. Never gets to it now his mom has lost her mind, but he is perfectly fine like that. Dude's playing in the biggest games in the bimigus moments, knocking down big shots. And like his mom, he made a couple of turnovers early in the game, and the first thing he hears from his mom is and the three turnables, you got to be better with the ball. I mean, it is a high standard. Is a high standard in flat family I understand that, but he's a unique and you know, people say Unicorn. Yeah, I don't know. I've never met at Unicorn, so I don't know what corn is. But the dude is like really, he's not only special, but his demeanor is special and yet being fiercely competitive.
Speaker 3: You coaching against Duke when people hated Duke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this team is embraced, I said to coach Schier. I said, people don't dislike Duke, like they're kind of like, yeah, you might not root for him, but it doesn't feel like you're rooting against them.
Speaker 15: Yeah. I mean a little bit I'd do with Mike an evil umpire and had to do it. You know, just the amount of success he had, the consistency and success they Duke became the Yankees. You love them. You hated him, you know, it's just just the way it is. Uh So, I mean, coach k and what he was able to build and the consistency that he had. People got tired of him, and you know, either you liked him or you didn't like John Shire, and I'm glad you had them all. To me, he's incredible. He is so comfortable in his own skin. He's not coach K two point zero or one point oh, he's John Shire two point oh.
Speaker 5: He is.
Speaker 15: Unapologetically himself. The way they play totally different style of basketball in a lot of ways. The way they defend differently than not denying everything to keep you in front. The way he interacts with his team holds him acount but a little bit different, but a great communicator. Coach K was a great motivator in the history of our sport, maybe in the history of sport. Ever, his ability to create causes whether he did it with the Olympic team with his Dukee teams. But John Shire has a likability to him. He's allowed these guys and it's a different age. Everyone knows these guys now from TikTok and social media and the accessibility that they have. You see their personalities. They're not like put in small boxes. So I think the social media aspect of it has changed it. John Shire's approach has changed it. And these kids are very comfortable putting themselves out and being a little bit outside the box of you would think that people expect them to be.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. Thanks as always, great to talk to you again, Seth.
Speaker 15: Always honored to be on your show, You're the best.
Speaker 2: That's Seth Greenberg, ESPN college basketball analyst and former coach at Virginia Tech. Yeah, I think Cooper Flag is a little too unselfish, and his coach even echoed those sentiments. You like to get your teammates involved. When you're the best player, you know, it's easy for you to say, Hey, you might be I might be double teamed, you might be open, but I might have a better chance of making the shot. But he's been really good at engaging his teammates. And he's a really good passer. That's not necessarily something we've focused on. I mean, Nikola Jokic has brought that back where we're looking at style assist, but Cooper Flag's a really good passer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's got to be.
Speaker 4: The kind of thing that there has to be a balance though, right, I mean, you can't remove that from him totally, nor you wouldn't want to.
Speaker 7: And at the same time, too, you don't.
Speaker 4: It can't all be on him, right, So you kind of have to get your teammates going sometimes too.
Speaker 7: He just does it too much.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, Yes, he's but it hasn't cost them.
Speaker 7: Maybe at the wrong time maybe too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I there'd be times find his coach where I would say, Cooper, you take over, or you say you start running plays for him. You're saying to your team, we want to let him be great. Yes, And because taking over is a skill you have to learn too. If we need a bucket right now, I'll go get it right now, no problem. You know that's something that you have to develop. And everybody knows you're getting the ball and they still can't stop. Still doesn't matter, Yeah, Paulling.
Speaker 6: It is funny though, watching Duke this season. Flag gets all the coverage, but kon k Nipple, the other freshman, he is not scared to shoot in a tough situation.
Speaker 3: He's very aggressive.
Speaker 6: He gets nowhere near the coverage. He also looks like he's in high school, but man's a he's a not scared player.
Speaker 2: He's benefited from Cooper Flag because all he does is find his spot on the court and then Flag will find you. And he's a really, really, really good shooter. That's why he's going to be a top fifteen pick. Yeah, Smarph.
Speaker 12: He's going to be one of those guys where he might have a better NBA career than a college career. Could you're like, man, he's six seven, He just sits there. He shoots three very much. I don't want to call Claytons whoa, whoa, but he might have a Claytons like impacts.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike and Iowa, Hi Mike. Best and worst of the weekend, Hey, Dan.
Speaker 16: Best of the weekend Chicago White Sox winning an opening day, putting them above five hundred for the first time since March of twenty twenty three. Worse of the weekend losing the next two games to go up five hundred.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mike. Yeah, but they made a big deal about the White Sox. Yeah, they won, and then they went back to being the White Sox. We'll take a break. More phone calls coming up eight seven seven three DP show back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: This audience is often asking if I'm listening to new music or maybe a new TV show. The answer is TV show. Yes, I haven't found any new music in a while. But the studio was seth Rogan very good saw the first episode and he runs a movie studio in Hollywood. You have real people in the industry in the show. Charlie's Theon is in it, Brian Cranston's in it, You had Who's the Martin Scorsese is in it playing himself. And it's good. It's fun, it's snappy, and camera work might be a hit or miss for you. It's kind of a one camera following along with you know, no cuts.
Speaker 3: But I enjoyed it so far.
Speaker 2: Reacher's done and that was great Season three of Reacher and White. Lot is still watching that. But the studio is good. A lot of laps with that. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC at Maco, they bring your car back to life. Affordable paint jobs like collision repair. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get mako. Uh Fran in Pennsylvania, Fran, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Come on a Brother Morning show as always. You know, it's one thing I'd like to point out with this bat controversy. And I'm a longtime Yankee fan. I know there's a lot of haters out there, but no one has pointed out on any of the shows this morning that the Yanks were playing a Milwaukee team who's pitching staff might be one of the worst in baseball right now due to the injuries that it's had. Okay, so that's just my point this morning.
Speaker 2: That's not a good story, fran The bats are a good story. Nobody wants to talk about the Brewers in upt pitching staff because then you can't really like they want to blame somebody for something. That's why the Yankees and these bats, these torpedo bats, well, they must be getting away was something.
Speaker 9: I hear you there. It's it's not the narrative that's gonna sell.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, you got to you gotta be in the content business. You have to understand what are more people going to be talking about that Brewer's staff is not any good or the Yankees could somehow be getting away with something. But thank you for the phone call, friend. How about we go around the room. Best and worst of the weekend, todd best and worst of the weekend?
Speaker 8: My best was on that very topic.
Speaker 15: I'm giving it to the Yankees.
Speaker 8: Back to the twenty nine wins Saturay against the Brewers and the Bronx, Aaron Judge three home runs of the game nearly went.
Speaker 15: You're out a fourth time hit like the top of the wall.
Speaker 8: The team at four homers in the first inning alone, back to back to back shots, three consecutive pitches. First time New York at five home runs in the first two winnings of the game, nine total dingers of franchise record worst of the weekend. We mentioned this ever earlier.
Speaker 15: Also Texas Tech.
Speaker 8: Nine point lead with three minutes left against Florida tripp to the final four of the line, allowing to get it to three threes and a short window of time. Red Raiders filling blue.
Speaker 2: Yes, but also the miss free throws. You make the free throws. It doesn't matter what Walder Clay and Junior the third is doing. Cet O'Connor.
Speaker 4: My worst of the weekend is former Maryland coach now Villanova head coach Kevin Willard. The way he pretty much handled this entire year, let alone just the tournament was about as terrible as you could get. I wonder now, sometimes when something like this happens and like everybody points their finger at like this guy is the bad guy here, and you're the school that has just hired them, it's got to be tough to be like.
Speaker 3: All right, No, it's all right, it's good.
Speaker 15: Okay.
Speaker 7: Now we're excited.
Speaker 3: We're excited about this, ladies and gentlemen. Kevin Willard, Thanks everybody.
Speaker 7: My worst of the weekend was him.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend was actually the internet's reaction to Kevin Willard, which was just a NonStop source of entertainment. Jimmy's famous seafood selling snake bites on sale. He got all kinds of just great reaction to Kevin Willard. Bad kept secret, poorly kept secret. We kept saying, I think he's out the door. You're out the door on a zoom call, dude, Really a zoom call to your players?
Speaker 3: Come on, yeah, come on, Marvin. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 12: Best of the weekend page backers career high forty points, great lead, eight win against up excuse me, sweet sixteen win against Oklahoma. Good for Paige. Worse of the weekend my Yukon men's hockey team losing an overtime to Penn State for a chance to go to the Frozen four. Great season, but it came up short.
Speaker 6: Paul, I'm gonna go baseball Miami Marlins. Three wins, three walkoff wins to start the season of their three to one record. That's why hasn't been done in twenty years. I actually had on my notes Milwaukee Brewers zero to three. They're supposed to be a good team. They've been outscored by twenty two runs in only three games. Their pitching staff has given up thirty six runs in three games.
Speaker 3: Okay, U rich In Athens, Hi, Rich, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: Christ and Dan Patrick?
Speaker 17: Nice talk with you. I'm sitting here with my puppy dog, Fritzy, and we're just in the down of the dumps about our Atlanta Braves and we need someone to talk us off the ledge. We're oh and four with three games upcoming against the undefeated Dodgers, which means we'll be oh and seven by Wednesday. But that leads me into my stat of the day, which is only four teams in MLB history have started oh and five and made the playoffs.
Speaker 13: Would you like to guess? Or I could just give you the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just give me the list.
Speaker 17: The seventy four Pirates, the ninety five Reds, the twenty eleven Raids, and last year's New York Mets.
Speaker 3: All right, Stat of the day. Stat of the day, that past stat of the day. Stat of the.
Speaker 7: Day, here comes that?
Speaker 3: What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: Pete in Rochester? What's on your mind today, Pete?
Speaker 18: Hey, Dan, thanks for taking my call, Yep. I wanted to shed some light on this quote unquote that controversy with the Yankees and just bring some historical perspects to it. As we know, there's a long history in sports of teams using any advantage they can, whether it be equipment or you know, different things. And it takes me back to nineteen eighty four to Adams College where a group of nerds with the Try Lambs were taking on a heavily favored jock team with Alpha Betas and the Greek Games, and they used aerodynamic principles to change the javelin to match Lamar's limp wristed throwing style to ultimately win the Jabbler event.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you Pete for Revenge of the Nerves. We were ment it. That's one of the great sports movies of all time. Grady in Naples, Hi, Grady, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hi Grady?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 11: How are you down, sir?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 11: I just wanted to add some history. If it's the same dimension the baseball bat have been used previously. It was called the bottle bat, and way back in the days of the White Socks, they're second baseman, who I believe is all star. Many years Nellie fox Ye used to use that battle bat all the time because he batted second and his key role was not as a power hitter, but as a bunter to advance what the likes of Louis Aparicio, et cetera, when they were called the Go Go White Sox.
Speaker 3: All right, well, thank you Grady. Once again.
Speaker 2: The bat can't be more than two point sixty one inches in dynameter diameter. Oh you know they're not adding more to it.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: It must adhere to what the you know, the requirements are here. Can't be more than forty two inches in length. It just feels like all of a sudden, baseball went Wait a minute, what are they using?
Speaker 3: Is that legal?
Speaker 2: More of your phone calls on the Way on this Monday Best and Worst of the weekend eight seven to seven three DP show operator Tyler sitting by to take your calls.
Speaker 3: Final hour on the Way