Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Final Hour in this Thursday Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show, make you make sure you go to Danpatrick dot com if you're a golfer. Got some DP show headcovers for your driver up to sixty five percent off at Stanpatrick dot com. Limited quantity stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. Ricky Fowler and the PGA Tour the Florida Swing. They're at the bear Trap, Jack Nicholas's Course Saturday Sunday three Eastern on NBC and Peacock. Mike Florio, friend of the show, Pro Football Talk dot Com, and Diana Roussini of The Athletic talking about Aaron Rodgers has reached out to a surprising team, you guys want to play? Which team would he be reaching out to play for next year? Todd, I'm going to start with you, the Tennessee Tennessee Titans, no.
Speaker 3: See no counter, the Los Angeles Rams of anahearm okay, no Marvin.
Speaker 4: The Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 5: Okay, no Paul Oh, the Innapolis Colts, oh, the New York Giants.
Speaker 6: Don't have to move.
Speaker 3: I just moved here.
Speaker 7: I just bought that.
Speaker 3: I just got this place. I just you guys need somebody got a place at the Jersey Shore, Good and Blue.
Speaker 2: Rogers said that he seeks a good team that wants him.
Speaker 8: Neither in search of Yeah, Rogers prefers to play this, according to The New York Daily News, for the LA Rams, if they trade Matthew Stafford to the Giants, and then Rogers would then played for the Rams.
Speaker 7: Yes, todd for.
Speaker 9: Someone that pretends to not want a lot of attention LA and New York. Very interesting that you woul choose to your biggest markets.
Speaker 7: Well, he wants to play for a good team that wants you.
Speaker 4: And the Giants are so close.
Speaker 2: Why didn't need to stay in green Bay? Because green Bay didn't want him anymore? But Mike Florio reported that he heard the NFL combine Rodgers has reached out to the New York Giants. There's just certain stories where you kind of just want them to go away for a little while. Tush push, gotta go away, Aaron Rodgers, go away for a little while.
Speaker 7: You know, come back.
Speaker 2: If you're going to play, that's great, But they're just after a while You're just inundated with people trying to come up with new angles on the same topic. And I don't know if there's any resolution to the Tush push or if Aaron Rodgers finds a team, does Aaron Rodgers is it?
Speaker 7: Where does Stafford go? Now?
Speaker 2: How does that affect Aaron Rodgers? Could he go to the rams if Stafford doesn't go to the Raiders? You know, the report was that Stafford and Tom Brady in Montana on a ski slope and they ran into each other. What remains in doubt is was this a planned, planned meeting or was it random? Because this place that they both belonged to is a very very high end skiing resort and maybe they just ran into each other. But you had conflicting reports. You had Ian Rappaport of NFL Network who said it was random. Jordan Schultz of Fox he said that this was a meeting that took place. And then there was a meeting that took place between Jordan Schultz and a Rapaport at a Starbucks and Indianapolis, and apparently a guy heated enough that he in Rapaport then contacted NFL security on Jordan Schultz and Oh by the way. Jordan Schultz, dad is the CEO of Starbucks.
Speaker 4: Stuff movies are made, Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 7: I don't know. This is not a movie. Twenty for twenty, not a thirty for thirty.
Speaker 10: Five.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, Paul, we almost had a Scrappa Chino.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, eh.
Speaker 2: We did reach out to Ean Rapaport and he said that he's gonna lay low and maybe join us tomorrow.
Speaker 4: It's not just a coffee that I heated.
Speaker 6: Who do you got in that fight?
Speaker 2: Jordan Schultz is a big dude. Yeah, yeah, yeah, he played football at Occidental.
Speaker 11: You've met them both, I have met both of them. Ian scrappy though, Yeah, you could go low leverage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jordan Schultz good size. Yeah, if it came to that, but apparently it got heated for sixty seconds.
Speaker 6: Don't make me put down my latte.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would get mad if you said, hey, you want to go, well, let me finish my Chaiiti latte.
Speaker 11: Is there anything softer than not getting into a fight at Starbucks?
Speaker 6: Like a fight was almost about to happen, but it didn't happen.
Speaker 7: That it's at a starboys, yes, Ton.
Speaker 4: What is Starbucks security? Like?
Speaker 9: Is is the biggest barista have to get involved if a tussle was to break out of Starbucks.
Speaker 4: Was responsible for breaking that up?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's and there's always the guy in there with his computer and he's just sitting there and his computer is plugged in and he's just there, just gulping down coffees.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 7: More.
Speaker 4: Have you ever gotten almost to fisticuffs into fisticuffs with somebody in the media, well, like a heated argument or anything like that, like heated.
Speaker 2: Heated Yeah, Craig Seger, PAULI was there, Alex Rodriguez that that got heated.
Speaker 7: Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 2: It didn't get heated, which is good, But it was one of those situations where it's like, if you asked me one more question, this is going to end poorly for you. Uh So then I didn't.
Speaker 7: I put down my my my.
Speaker 2: Journalistic uh qualities, and I thought, you know, it's probably best that I don't ask Lawrence Taylor about cocaine use one more time. Probably I'm I'm going to stop, you know, I ask you twice and I'm not gonna I'm not gonna do it again. And then a rod that one that was toe to toe and you know, what I if I got popped. I got popped, but I would have gotten in a swing or two if I had to. But that was silly. I mean, that was that. That that goes back to when Derek Jeter signed his contract and a Rod called up and we were taping the interview and I started talking to him about Jeter and then he got mad at me because we aired this. And then he does an interview with Esquire magazine and I think he was there Scott rab and he told him the same thing that he told me, but he so he reiterated that, and I'm thinking he didn't have a problem with me, and then I found out that through the Rangers pr that he did. But I did confront him. I wanted to go, you know, what's the deal? And uh, that one that one got heated, that one got heated. That was that was not good. I don't think there's that, you know, Seger. God loved Craig Sager though we're outside the Clevelander in Miami, and I had been on this rant about Heisman Trophy winners, that freshman should win it or a sophomore should win it, and it really was about Adrian Peterson and Sager was a Heisman voter I was at the time, and I said, hey, if I was voting Adrian Peterson, and Seger got upset with me over voting for somebody who's a freshman or sophomore, because I said, if you're the best player, you're the best player. I don't need you to wait till you're a junior or senior. So it got I don't know where it was going. It wasn't going to end well for either one of us. But I'd known Seger a long long time. But you know, he got heated, and then I got heated, and I just remember I put down my beer model and he put down his, and then PAULI was going to have to use his bouncer skills that we've talked about a lot on his program.
Speaker 11: It was weirdly awkward because there was other people watching who are casual sports fans who saw, hey, there's Dan Patrick and Craig Sager, and it started to get tense where there's like the little finger pointing to exclamate points. Yeah, it felt like it was going to get out of hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah it could have, and cooler heads prevailed with that, But I don't know if I've ever had anything else like the Lawrence Taylor thing. He was being suspended and he read a prepared statement for the print media at the Giants training camp facility. Well, I was working at CNN and I had my camera guy, and you know, we needed to have that story. We needed to have something on camera. So Lawrence comes out of the building and he was there with all the print media. When print media, you know, mattered. Now, he would have done something for TV and then print media would have said, hey, can we get a copy of that? But back then, Print Media New York, print media very powerful. And Lawrence came out. I remember he was dressed in dark blue or black, and he had these big sunglasses on and I said, excuse me, mister Taylor. Patrick's CNN and I wanted to know if he would read his prepared statement on camera. And then he said, talk to my agent, and I said I did. I spoke to your agent. And then he kept walking and then I said, Lawrence, will you read that prepared statement on camera? I won't ask any questions. And he looked at me and I could see the whites of his eyes through the sunglasses. And then I said to my cameraman and I said, Ricky, just keep rolling just.
Speaker 7: In case he hit me. He then jumped in.
Speaker 2: He had a like a giant's blue Porsche and he peeled out. And I remember Peter King of all people. He worked for New York Newsday newspaper.
Speaker 7: He came out, he goes, what did he say?
Speaker 12: You know?
Speaker 2: So Peter was being the reporter while I was trying to be a reporter to get Lawrence Taylor to tell me about that he had been busted for cocaine and he was going to be suspended. So Peter ended up writing a little bit about that. I could have had a career sack there. I could have gotten Lawrence Taylor could have He almost had another career sack as well.
Speaker 6: He's high on the list of last people I'd like to fight in the eighties.
Speaker 13: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, I'd say Tyson is Nimero Uno. Yeah, he's a one seater.
Speaker 7: Yes you can.
Speaker 2: I can still hear punches going to those fights. I can hear punches from Tyson. That's nineteen eighty six is the first year I met him. He was on the cover of Sports Illustrator. He was kid Dynamite and I went up to where Custamato lived, who was his manager who had passed away, and he was living up there with Cuss's wife. And I went to a couple of his fights, and damn, I don't know what happened to those guys, Like what kind of condition some of those guys are in now? But you can I can hear it. I could still hear a punch when he hit Michael Spinkx, when he hit Marvis Frasier, Damn, yes, Tom.
Speaker 9: And the inability of some of his opponents even remotely hide their fear about what they signed up for, but they didn't realize until they get in the ring. And Tyson would do that staring back and forth in your eyes while they're when they got them in the middle.
Speaker 2: There is no sporting event that has that drama because it's two guys going into a ring and you can't hide it gets there and when it's a legitimate, big time fight and you're just man. And I was very fortunate to be able to be around Sugar Ray Leonard, I mean, Alexis Argueo, Aaron Pryor like the middle weights, like they the guys who weren't they they they were awesome Hagler, Hearns, Vito Anna Fermo, like they were just there was always great fights back then, and they all meant something and to be able. And you're around Bob Aram and Don King. It's just I remember Don King tried to hit on a girl that I took to a boxing press conference. I had to tell him, I said, Don, she's with me, and he said, oh, man, America. I said, uh, I mean, you know he'd have the little flags that he would have, and I just remember he was hitting on this this girl and I had to tell yeah, I'm telling him. I'm like, hey, Don, she's with me, only in America. Walked out the door. Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: When Mike Tyson was in his prime, was it still like the big deal to be the world heavyweight champion?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, so no matter who the heavyweight champion was, they automatically became world famous.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, Yeah, Like Mary Holmes was a great fighter, but he kind of lacked any kind of style charisma. I think he owned all of eastern Pennsylvania, like downtown. I went to visit him. But you know, Larry was just a great, great boxer, had a great record, but you know, you kind of go to the fight and you go, okay. You know, you had Ali and Fraser, before that, you had George Foreman, I mean even Ken Norton, Jerry Cooney. You know there there was some gravitas that went with that title and and Tyson certain and Tyson acted like he was a heavyweight champ from the twenties.
Speaker 7: You know, you got.
Speaker 2: Dames on your arms and you're out party in and you're you know, he was kind of a Babe Ruth of boxing in the babe brute. Oh sorry, sorry, thank you.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 11: Also the timing of Tyson, it coincided with the timing of the rise of ESPN, and so that could be were coverage to it, and his fights, his early fights were all on CBS. You could just access those first maybe fifteen or twenty fights he fought monthly. And then it also coincided with the upswinging rap and rappers used to check him, put his name in their songs, and it all became a thing. He became honestly the most famous person in America.
Speaker 2: And then he married Robin Gibbons. Yeah, it was it was a wild ride. Uh but you know, Mike was so raw. He just loved his pigeons. He won't show me his pigeons. The only thing you get him to talk about is the history of the sport. He knew the history of the sport and his pigeons.
Speaker 7: That was it.
Speaker 2: And he you know, that soft voice, and he would ask me if I wanted to see his pigeons. How do you think it sounded, Todd?
Speaker 9: I want to talk about my boxing career. Everybody wants to talk about my box. Then I just want to talk about this pigeon collection. And I remember growing up, someone killed my pigeon. He stepped on my pigeon's head. And now with the end of that, because they thought I with the pushover and I showed there. But with friends like that, who needs enemies?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 7: Maybe a little too long there that, Yeah, maybe maybe?
Speaker 2: All right, let me take a break. I don't know what we just accomplished, if anything there, but we'll take away, we'll regroup and maybe we'll have a better direction to go in the final forty minutes of this program. All right, we'll take a break. We're back after this Dan Patrick show. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio. Dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 14: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 13: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 14: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the store, in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 14: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 13: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media.
Speaker 7: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We haven't played dour Rankings in a while, and it's a you know, a very detailed game that we play Dower rankings any sport.
Speaker 7: You know, what are you dour on?
Speaker 2: So it can be a player, it can be a team, It could be a rule a concept. What are you or who are you dowur on? Paul, why don't you set the example here?
Speaker 6: Glad to Dan. This is the second time they've appeared on my list.
Speaker 11: The Philadelphia seventy six Yay, that's who I had. Yeah, we made to take him off the board at this juncture. They lost nine in a row and they weren't good before that. They're twenty and thirty eight. Their two best players are hurt and really hurt. One of them got criticized for hosting a podcast like he's not focused on basketball because he's talking for forty five minutes a week and stop the podcast which is even softer Paul George. This is a team that had fifty four wins last year and was always a threat in the postseason. The seventy six ers are bad and getting worse, and there's no hope inside.
Speaker 2: I think the seventy six ers still owe Joe Ellenbiid and Playoff p four hundred million dollars.
Speaker 6: I may have undersold it.
Speaker 7: I think it's four.
Speaker 2: Hundred and five million dollars that they owe these guys. Sh they could be bad without paying those guys four hundred million dollars.
Speaker 7: Todd Dower rank I'm.
Speaker 9: DOWA on the NFL rule book because I'm sick every year something pops up where we've got to reanalyze or rephrase something. I'm all for moving forward with technology and things like that and trying to make the game better, but for constantly having to reanalyze things that are going on on the field. There's something wrong, then we need to really do better at whoever's putting the.
Speaker 7: Rule invent but we need change.
Speaker 2: The rule book is about change, not you know, the NFL from the sixties.
Speaker 9: It's just too much to me. Every year it's like, well, these seven things we need to reconfigure. It didn't work it out, or these three are good, these two need to be tweaked. You constantly have to tweak things that much. Then do better at the phraseology or at putting their.
Speaker 7: R Well, the yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the language that they keep adding, like it's lawyers who are adding language to this. They don't subtract language, they add yes.
Speaker 4: See. Yeah.
Speaker 3: There aren't many sports that are constantly reinventing the rules season after season, like the NFL does. They seem to be the only sport that really it is constantly like well do we want to do this or do we want to do that? That the game is always changing, But.
Speaker 2: It doesn't hurt the sport. It gives them constant exposure.
Speaker 7: It does it.
Speaker 3: It does sort of hurt the sport though, in that people are constantly wondering about the fairness of it or the I mean the fact that we're constantly talking about and like refereeing decisions and was this a catch? Was this not? I get the whole idea, like, hey, we're talking about it, so I means it's a good thing.
Speaker 7: I get it.
Speaker 3: But you're also talking about the integrity of the sport, and it it The more that it keeps getting tweaked, the more you keep talking about it, the more dumb the sport becomes.
Speaker 2: Well, we can talk about the integrity you know, gambling, how good are the official those kind of things, but Todd's talking about the rule book with all the other things that they, you know, discuss, they add make it more complicated. That's the problem that I have, all right, but what is a catch is part of that rule book. But that's something we see. The NFL doesn't get hurt by it. I mean, it's it's they've never been more popular. I if you have a situation where an official is compromised, that's when you can do damage to the sport. I mean, it's impenetrable. It feels like, So I don't it doesn't matter if we're going is that a catch?
Speaker 7: Why do we have to have it?
Speaker 2: As we still watch, we still gamble, we still do fantasy.
Speaker 7: So I don't. I don't think the NFL can.
Speaker 2: I think the NFL the other sports would love if you're talking about them in any way. The NFL, it just feels like they can do no wrong. Marvin Dower, I'm Dower on the NFL draft prospects. It doesn't feel like there's a lot of star power in this year's draft like there has been for previous years. So I'm dower on the star potential of some of these players.
Speaker 7: Okay, right, Seaton Dower.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, I was looking at the seventy six ers for sure. I'm dower on the idea of an NIL cap.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So this hasn't been put into law yet, but I think there's gonna be a a cap for nil or money available for players, at maybe twenty one and a half million dollars for each university.
Speaker 7: So every sport comes out of that.
Speaker 2: Football will probably take sixteen million, seventeen million, depending on the you know, the the school and how good the basketball team is. But I think what's going to happen is, yes, there's going to be a salary cap, but I don't think you can take away somebody's nil if you're going to pay them, I should still be able to capitalize on my name, image and likeness. This is my ability that you're paying me for, not my name, image and likeness, or at least I wouldn't think that seems like that, would you know?
Speaker 7: You could argue that also.
Speaker 2: I think we're going to get back to if that's the case, we cap you no matter what you do, name, image and likeness, which I don't know how they mod What if somebody gets a five million dollar.
Speaker 7: Gatorade deal like Cooper flag.
Speaker 2: You know, are you taking that out of the twenty one and a half million dollars because Gatorade is paying you? I think you're going to get back to illegal recruiting. I think you're going to get back to payments under the table. If there's a salary camp, I it's not going to stop boosters from or collectives from getting somebody and giving somebody something extra. It's gonna happen. It happened before when it was illegal to do it. Uh, you know they're going to do it again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paulling.
Speaker 6: Here's an example.
Speaker 11: Imagine you had a cap at usc like everybody else has at T one T two million, and you spend the lion's share on football and other sports. Then you have this out of nowhere athlete like Juju Watkins. I start her in a State Farm commercial the other day State Farm.
Speaker 6: That's no joke.
Speaker 11: So can she accept a certain amount from State Farm so you don't go over the overall cap for the athletic program? How would that that wouldn't be fair to her?
Speaker 7: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean the fact that the has gotten itself this deep into something that they didn't have to get this deep into is amazing. And then to see them now go, hey, how do we fix all of this stuff that we made mistakes on? How about a salary cap that'll do it. Twenty one and a half million dollars for each school. Okay, there's going to be illegal benefits here. It's going to continue, but I find that interesting.
Speaker 4: Also.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw in spring training the Brewers played a doubleheader in the Cactus League on Wednesday. They faced the Dodgers and then they face the Diamondbacks. During their game against the Dodgers, Milwaukee decided to give an opportunity to a prospect who might have the best name in all the sports. He's seventeen years of age.
Speaker 7: His name is.
Speaker 2: Jesus Made. Jesus Made m a d E. I think he pronounces it Haesus, but you look at the spelling, you know it's Jesus Made. He's the seventeenth best prospect in the Baseball America's Top one hundred list, so look forward to seeing him get some playing time there.
Speaker 11: Yes, poem, I don't know if he's a pitcher or not, but imagine going back to the dugout and saying, I just got whiffed by Jesus.
Speaker 6: You really can't.
Speaker 2: That was stacked against Jesus. Jesus, Jesus made the Brewers. All right, let me see Lucas in Texas. Hi, Luke, thanks for holding what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey Dan, good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 12: You know a quick deal about the NFL. But with the news of Gene Hackman, it reminds me of a fourth grade report that I had to do with famous people that had the same birthday as me, and Gene Hackman was one of mine. Now, it's not as cool as having, you know, the same day, same year as some Dan, as you might know, but I've always felt an affinity for Gene Hackman because we shared the same birth Fasis had to hear him I was passing. Yeah, So I can tell there's a little bit of we've reached our brim of tolerance when it comes to the tush push, and I think rightfully. So here's the thing. As a fan, it's really frustrating that this has been the conversation because when we left the playoffs, I felt like the predominant discussion when it came to rule changes was going to be how are we going to address all these quarterbacks that are taking advantage of the slide rule, the out of bounds rule, and it feels like that's just been brushed aside. Is there any hope of that being addressed, because I think the fans really want that more than a play that one team has really kind of mastered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a bigger deal, But it just feels like the Eagles won the tush push. It's not fair, it's not stoppable, and therefore that seems to be on the front burner. I think these quarterbacks who were kind of flirt with the rule of sliding, not sliding, going out of bounds, not going out of bounds and kind of rubbing defense's faces in this. And it's not just Patrick Mahomes, there are other quarterbacks as well.
Speaker 7: I would hope.
Speaker 2: That they look at that, and I think you got to let's start with safety. You have to say to these quarterbacks, we have protected you, but you're going to get into a gray area where we can't protect you or protect you the way you think you should be protected. If you're going to slide, makes you slide early. If you're going to go out of bounce, make sure you go out of bounds but if you're going to flirt with kind of altering this, you're on your own. You're going to be treated like a runner, and if you get hit, get blown up. That's just the way it is. I do think that's a bigger issue than the tush push. But you know, I'm on repeat with everything I think about that. Play fine with it. Take the guy out from behind, Jalen Hurts. Let it be a quarterback sneak. They're still going to be very, very, very successful.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Pauling, Well, I think your point from the other day was if a lesser team that the Titans did this and did it well, it'd be easy to remove. But it wouldn't bother anybody because nobody's watching the Titans. Because the Eagles are so successful and winning the Super Bowl. The timing of it seems pejorative against them.
Speaker 7: Whoa is that? That's a mcloven word, Pajeorde, Yes, yes, he was a big pejority.
Speaker 6: Did I use that right?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Ella dizzy, it's a fad a compleae loading proud of me, Tim in Ohio, Hi, Tim, thanks for holding What do you have for me?
Speaker 10: Hey? Dan, I'm gonna go Saturs the day here The Candlers about thirty two games by an average eleven point sixty nine points, which would be the fourth highest average margins in victory and NBA history. According to Stadheads, the only teased to finish the season from a higher average margin seventy two Lakers seventy one Bucks in the ninety six pots. They all want NBA titles.
Speaker 7: Stat of the day, stat of the day, stat of the day, stat of the day.
Speaker 4: Here comes that?
Speaker 7: What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: John Lynch, the GM for the forty nine ers, was at the combine talking about Rock Perty's contract talks and seems like they're going all in on brock Party.
Speaker 15: I won't go into negotiations like always is our stance. Want brought to be our quarterback as long as we're here and beyond, and we'll leave it at that. I think the final thing, there's no guarantees that we get something done, but my experience has been when both sides are motivated, there's ample opportunity to do so, and we've been able to do that.
Speaker 2: So imagine, if you're a GM and a coach Trey Lance could get you fired, Rock Party keeps you in your job, So you go all in on Trey Lance, who was just released by the Cowboys. You give up three first round picks and you know, really mortgage part of the future of your team, and then you get rock Perty, mister irrelevant, and then your genius. So on one hand, you're like, but that's really assessing quarterbacks when you think about it, and you could talk about what COVID did to scouting and really trying to handicap somebody back in twenty twenty and how often are you able to see them or whatever in person.
Speaker 7: But still that's a big whiff.
Speaker 2: That's one of the bigger whiffs that we've had with you know, Lynch and Shanahan, and then Trey Lance can't play. You know one he was one year at North Dakota State and he was wonderful, didn't lose a game. I don't think he threw an interception. But you still you went all in on him. It's not like you drafted him in the first round. You went to get him in the first round. And then brock Perdy mister irrelevant. And I truly believe if brock Perty was a third round draft pick, I don't know if people would have a problem if he was going to make the money that he is scheduled to make. He's the last guy taken. How good can he be? Well, he was a very good college quarterback and for whatever reason was you know, look at Tom Brady where he was drafted, or Trell Davis where he was drafted. Teams make mistakes and Brock Perty if he's a third or fourth round draft pick. You know, if he's a Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott, I don't think we go I mean, we don't hold that against Dak Prescott anymore.
Speaker 7: Or Russell Wilson.
Speaker 2: I think with brock Perty, it's the perception that he's not that good is because he's the last player drafted. There have been a few quarterbacks down through history who didn't get drafted or they got drafted late, and they, you know, proved to be Hall of famers, you know, Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr. But you know that's back when it was kind of scouting was archaic. But Brock Purty's gonna get paid now, and they're gonna trade Deebo Samuel. I never would have signed up Brandon Ayuk. I would have traded him. I wouldn't have paid him thirty million dollars, George Kettle, how much time do you have left? I mean, they're really at a crossroads here.
Speaker 7: And you know you.
Speaker 2: Got that benefit with brock Purty with his salary. Now you don't. So now you got to make some really good draft decisions. You got to be like Philadelphia. You got to be like Baltimore. You got to be like Detroit. You have less money. Now you've got to make some really really good decisions. Now we're going to find out just how good John Lynch is and Kyle Shanahan Yeampoll.
Speaker 11: Based off next man up at the quarterback position, Rock Purty should get at least five years, two hundred and seventy five million at fifty five million season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what Joe Burrow got. Hard to pick.
Speaker 11: For a good quarterback. Oh man, when you hear the number, it doesn't match.
Speaker 2: If you could have Matthew Stafford the next two years or Brock Purty the next two years, how about Stafford for two rock party for five. I like brock Purdy, but I don't I don't think brock Purdy. I think he's good at what he's supposed to be good. Oh yeah, yeah, you're right. But I'm not paying him, So I like Brock Purdy. I don't love him, Marvin, that's your team. Do you love rock Perdy?
Speaker 4: Not for fifty five million, but it's the rate though.
Speaker 2: I know Seaton of course was all in on b October when he was at Iowa State, you know.
Speaker 3: Early adopter there. Yeah, it's funny how Matthew Stafford's lack of accomplishments has been completely.
Speaker 7: Erased when he was in Detroit.
Speaker 3: When he was in Detroit, yeah, and I mean, I know he had a great year with the Rams, I get that, and he had good years with Detroit, but he was the classic can't get over the hump guy forever forever.
Speaker 7: But we saw him with talent and he won the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: It's funny, how too, that the Matthew Stafford like when he was with Detroit, they couldn't put a good team around him, so he had to leave. And now Detroit what they really are is one quarterback like Matthew Stafford away from getting to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: I just want to see what happens if Brock perty is capable of being that guy that you can load up and say, go out and win games. I think that's what everybody's waiting to see with less talent, because if you don't have Debo and George Kittle at the end of his career offensive line, you're losing a Hall of Fame tackle. You got some aging guys on defense as well.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week days at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App The last call for phone calls, what we learn, what's in store tomorrow. By the way, we taped two interviews Sonny vc Caro. He is largely responsible for signing Michael Jordan at Niking. He also signed Kobe at Adidas. Thought he had Lebron James and he has written a book. He's now eighty five years of age, and I was thinking about this that he should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame as a contributor. And I'm wondering if some of the coaches that he helped, Michael Jordan and some of the players, if they wrote letters to the Basketball Hall of Fame on behalf of Sonny vc Carrol. So we'll talk to Sonny vc Carol, and I did ask him the question if Michael didn't go to Nike. What would have happened to Mike's shoe career and Nike's more importantly, So that'll be And Woody Harrelson got a movie. It comes out tomorrow, Last Breath, so we'll talk to the woodman. I just got a text message here and it is directed at Marvin. Please yet, let young school Marvin know old school is right. I would personally fly back to Indiana to set up a first class tour of the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame and taking to Newcastle Field House, the largest gym in the world, and also Hinkle Field House, home of the Mylon Shot Assembly Hall in Bloomington Mylon High School gym where the movie was shot. You haven't lived yet. Side note, tell Marvin I would drop fifty on him back in the day in front of ten thousand in Newcastle. No three point line there either. Old school can't beat it. Signed Steve Alford.
Speaker 6: A wow, emotional.
Speaker 4: I'm taking that. It's the biggest compliment. I am in. I am in.
Speaker 6: That's like the Pope asked you to come to the Vatican.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Steve Alford will be your tour guide and he'll drop fifty on you back in the day. You wouldn't be the only guy that he probably dropped. Imagine being that good of an outside shooter. And there was no three point shot back then. Yeah, alrighty, they had it in college late, wasn't that when they played un l V and they beat u n LV kind of at their game up tempo and Alford uh had a big night making some threes there, I believe.
Speaker 11: And they beat Syracuse in the title game. And Steve Alford when he got to Indiana, the three point line was only for his senior year. Yeah, and of course he this is unbelievable. He shot fifty three from three.
Speaker 2: Keith Smart hits the jumper. Yep, yeah, that was that was a good game. Alrighty.
Speaker 7: Let me see, how about this day in sports history?
Speaker 11: Paul hold on, I'm still soaking in Steve Alford's day, so jealous.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Nets had sixty one to three point attempts last night and they're lost to the Thunder. I still would love to cap the three point shots at thirty. Each team gets thirty use them accordingly, Okay, Paul.
Speaker 6: Let's see.
Speaker 11: Oh, the NCAA in nineteen eighty seven gave the death penalty to SMU football. They're back now, Yeah, they are. Emma Smith in two thousand and three became a free agent. Then he went to the Cardinals and oh this is awkward. Two thousand and two, the Houston Astros announced they would strike a deal with Enron to buy back the naming rights, and he went by Astros field for a while.
Speaker 2: Nineteen fifty nine, Bob Cousy since an NBA record twenty eight assists as the Cell Takes beat the Lakers. Twenty eight assists for Bob Coosey. He's a magician out there. Nobody thinks to make him go left tops. We've never seen anything like Bob Cousy. He's a whirling dervish.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's going against plumbers and electricians. He's got twenty eight, says Todd. What did you are you gonna watch Hoosiers? By the way, Marvin, I am this week? Okay, Todd? Would you learn today you.
Speaker 9: Are totally pushed out and that's why you didn't ask Albert Brier about the toush push play.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just like sometimes I gotta take a little time away from it. Seatan. Would you learn who's he's mad as a hatter? Marvin? What did you learn I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna hang out with Steve Offerd to Indiana.
Speaker 2: Yes, he could give you some shooting tips. Paulie, would you learn It's Hoosier's Day today. Rapid Radios the official walkie talkie of The Dan Patrick Show, national LTE coverage, no subscriptions, A great alternative for the kids or your parents. We use them on the show all the time. Go to rapid radios dot com sixty percent off free shipping, new gambling podcast, The Dan Patrick Takes the Gambles, Shay and Irving Bad, Larry Dylan, the graphics gy that'll be up at Danpatrick dot com. Have a great day. We'll talk to you on Friday.