Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we're fully cleared for training camp.
Speaker 2: We're off and running.
Speaker 1: I'm beyond lucky today to be joined by Steve Weisch and Colleen Wolf before they venture around the country for inside training camp.
Speaker 2: They're in the Chris Westley podcast. That's right.
Speaker 3: We were just comparing schedules. We're getting ready. Are you do you have your polos set?
Speaker 4: I've got my polosh huh.
Speaker 5: I'm very glad we got We also found out that I'm actually gonna be like filling in for Got.
Speaker 4: She's got other stuff to do.
Speaker 3: I couldn't physically get to Detroit without a private jet. There were no flights that could get me there from where I was coming from.
Speaker 2: My wife is in six cities in six days.
Speaker 4: I'm down, though.
Speaker 5: I like, I love I love I love that Detroit, like I loved the Shy and I like going to the facility. So it's gonna be my first time there in a couple of years. I'm looking forward to you know, Dan Campbell and the whole gang, Aaron Glen in the group.
Speaker 1: Well, we might try to get you from the road as as if you're not busy enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Actually told to bring my special podcast, Mike just in case.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be the first time Steve Wye has joined NFL Daily, and we'll make it to the end of the show.
Speaker 2: We hope he's doing.
Speaker 1: Another show later, but there's a few hours in between, so we'll we'll see. If it's a wolf Blitzer situation where you're on social having a wolf Splitzer and then an hour later, like announcing.
Speaker 4: Would not be the first time, would not be the first time.
Speaker 6: But before we do that, let's do some news. Yes for light people, I like it cool.
Speaker 1: Let's start with the Green Packers, which gave us a little something to talk about. On Monday morning, Jordan Love, who's in the building, was revealed that he will not be practicing. Brian Gudakuanzt, the general manager of the Packers, seem pretty cool with it. And this is him talking about the situation.
Speaker 7: So yeah, so I think it was Saturday night. You know, they kind of informed us and until we get something done that he would not practice again. So unless something gets done here before you know, practice starts here pretty soon, he will not be practicing. Yeah, I think so, but again, you never know. I mean, we're working really hard to get that done. I think it's really important for us. I'm optimistic. These are big deals. It takes time. They're not as you know, easy, as as some people may think.
Speaker 1: M I I take optimism from this. It is not much of a story. I don't think if Jordan Love is in the building and they're talking about it that openly and he's even saying optimistic that that it's going to happen soon, he'll be on the field before too long.
Speaker 5: You don't hear team exectly as their coaches talk about, yeah, he's not going to practice until we get the deal done. You typically hear that from the player or the player's agent saying, hey, you know, we're just going to sit this basically sit this one out until we get it completed. So it's clear their open lines of communication that they've got a good relationship right there. And you know, look, they just got Kenny Clark. Yeah right, They're not going to get that done unless they have the parameters in place for the quarterback contract. So this isn't going to be anything that's going to drag out for several more days.
Speaker 3: I guess the hope would be that they get it done by the end of the week. I would imagine that would happen. But Gudacun sort of threw volunteered that he was confident that the deal would get done before training camp. He just threw that out there, so he kind of just volunteered that timeline on his own. But once the Kenny Clark deal got done, it's like, this is the next step in the deals. And of course, like Jordan Love, he was at practice. No one expected him to practice if he didn't have the deal done.
Speaker 8: He was smiling. He walked out with Matt Lafleur.
Speaker 3: And the real concern for me is that he was wearing sweatpants in Green Bay in July and that real field temperature was like eighty three degrees. So that feels like that's my worst nightmare.
Speaker 2: But that's the Mike McDaniel thing.
Speaker 1: Though he wears the hoodie in Miami at like ninety seven degrees.
Speaker 3: I know, you want to sweat, you want to get the toxins out, but.
Speaker 5: Like, I don't know, the game's where the dry fit hoodie, Like, you know, I wear that an inside training camp, so get scorched, right. But I've seen some people like with the Houston Texans where it's just oppressive, Oh my god, like put on hoodies under their gear when they're practicing, Like some guys just love doing that.
Speaker 1: So I look at this situation with him showing up and think he must know. I wouldn't surprise me if he gets as much money as like any quarterback in the entire NFL. We've talked about how the contracts are all sort of the same, which is crazy because you could be Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow or Josh Allen, or you could be Jordan Love who just had like a seven eight game hot streak and you basically get the same contract. But he's not there in smile Aileen unless he knows that's coming. And to be clear, real trading camp hasn't even started for them. It's like rookies in quarterbacks, so that kind of gave another soft deadline for them to get the deal done.
Speaker 3: And he's expected to participate in the meetings too, so it's like he's not going to go out there and risk getting hurt.
Speaker 1: With all timing guarantees, it's a holden. You mentioned Kenny Clark getting a big contract. He had East signed a three year extension worth sixty four million. He's getting something like twenty nine million dollars in twenty twenty four pay. And the most interesting thing about what's happening with Love and what's happening with Clark to me is like, this is what good organizations do when they have cap space. Is great, we built up all this. There's too much cap space out there. Teams waste their cap space. They do it because they know these sort of contracts are coming up, and then they can just front load it, put all that cash as much as possible into twenty twenty four because they have the room for it, and open up more room for next year and be in the same situation. The Packers are kind of the ultimate draft and developed team. Yes, even though Brian Goudokunz looked a lot older in that clip suddenly than when he took that job, I think that was dealing with Aaron Rodgers. I think he's got to feel good that, like, this is what they do, they draft and develop.
Speaker 5: I think Devanta Adams, who have an argument with your point there about that paying even when they do have cap space available.
Speaker 4: However, we're talking about your Love and Kenny Clark.
Speaker 5: Look, Kenny Clark I mean, this guy's one of the best defensive linemen in the NFL. Defensive tackles are getting paid nowadays, and you know, you just talk about the massaging of the cap. If you've got the cash, and we just saw about from the Packers public disclosures.
Speaker 4: They've got the cash, Yeah, you go ahead and spend it. Then you finesse the cap over that.
Speaker 5: But they've got the cash to spend, go ahead and get it out of the way because they're not paying that many other players right now. But like you said, this is why the Packers continue to keep themselves competitive because they know exactly what they're doing and how to manage their cash and their cap, but most importantly, their people.
Speaker 3: And Kenny Clark is managing the Packers well because the fact that he's at this point now signed multiple big deals with them.
Speaker 8: You don't see that so often.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's signed three total contracts with them, two massive deals with them. He's completely worth every single penny. He's so reliable, he's always available, He key's the defense. He's only twenty eight years old. Like, I just think that it was so smart of him to bet on himself. Watch the market for defensive linemen go up and up and then not lock himself into anything long term. And now he has his second huge deal. It's great for him.
Speaker 1: They have an interesting defense to watch because I feel like they've underachieved for years compared to the talent that they've had. And they bring in this guy jeff Halfway from BC College who's really thought of as a innovative schematic guy. And sometimes we saw with Brian Flores in the division last year, like sometimes a great defensive scheme can lift you up quicker.
Speaker 8: A Kyle Shanahan guy too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And and they're also saving money because their receivers are so ridiculously cheap. They now have four receivers they don't have to pay for at least another year, maybe another two years. That their total contracts are adding up to what one fifteenth of Justin Jefferson's contract for like one year.
Speaker 2: And that's for.
Speaker 1: Four guys like team like wide receivers such a premium position. It's almost like having a rookie quarterback contract, having a rookie receiver contract, especially when you got four of them.
Speaker 5: Well said, you know, Plus they're running backs basically on one of your deals as well. So next year they'll be able to free up cap space there and continue to rotate at what they consider premium positions on what they.
Speaker 4: Want to pay.
Speaker 1: He said, well said, I'm just well said, well done, he said something nice to me.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 8: That's great, Good job, Greg, that's important.
Speaker 1: I really need the positive affirmation right now. All right, Moving on to our next story talking quarterbacks. John Harbaugh really caught my attention on Sunday at Ravens training camp, and I want to dive into it more with you guys here. This was the first full team session that the Ravens had. They're actually practicing. Their veterans are out there, the Chiefs are out there. We know the Hall of Fame game teams. I know you'll be there. You guys will both be there. Okay, So Chicago, Wolf, Yes.
Speaker 4: Wolf, Lucia's baby. One of the best day house today in the country.
Speaker 1: We've got four teams fully practicing as we record. Every other team will be arriving to camp on Tuesday this week and practicing by Wednesday, so we're off and running. But it was almost like John Harbaugh had an answer, a speech ready for the first time someone brought up Lamar this year. It was like a stump speech. It was three minutes long. It'd be kind of crazy to play the whole thing. But let's listen to my favorite thirty seconds of John Harbaugh's vision for Lamar.
Speaker 9: We're building another offense for it in twenty three and twenty four going forward right, the next iteration of our offense around Lamar Jackson. Because, in my opinion, the vision the vision for Lamar Jackson, and it's a vision. It's something you see it like it's already happened. You can see it like it's already been done. The victory has already been won when you pour into a vision. And the vision that we have together is a Lamar Jackson is going to become and be known and be recognized as the greatest quarterback ever to play in the history of the National Football League.
Speaker 8: He gets my vote.
Speaker 2: Wow, John does or Lamar?
Speaker 1: Both?
Speaker 3: Yeah, both do at this point. He's a great campaign manager. I just love that he came out swinging, so you knew that he was just like waiting and waiting and workshopping, and I mean all of that just came straight from the heart. But he was just like ready to go as soon as anyone asked him about Lamar, and I do love too that Ryan Mink, who is the Ravens editorial director. He tweeted out a statistical comparison between Lamar and Tom Brady and their first six years in the league, and Lamar outo outperformed Brady in completion percentage, passing yards per attempt, passing touchdowns, which I thought was interesting because obviously Brady has more passing yards in those six years than Lamar had right now, but only two more interceptions than Brady had thrown and every single rushing category obviously.
Speaker 8: So it's like the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Rings are the thing that Lamar and the Ravens really need to put this over the top for everyone, I think to finally get behind Lamar in that category.
Speaker 4: That's a big thumb on the scale, though, when you've got the.
Speaker 1: Three three and the fact that those were the worst six years of Tom Brady's career. Yeah, be fair, like Lamar's one is two for Lamar, I mean, he won three Super Bowls, but yeah, maybe Lamar gets better and has that second, third, fourth phase that Tom Brady had.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not take anything away from what Lamar has done. First off, this reminded me you know, John Harborough. I've just finished watching Supercell on Netflix with a little futuristic time travel where they come back little Butterfly fl It's really good, really good man. It's buns of English Jamaicans. But you know, I've heard John Harbball, believe it or not, say this before. This is not new. I was in a production meeting where the Ravens I believe they were playing the Browns a couple of years ago, and.
Speaker 2: Just in our room, you were doing sideline.
Speaker 5: I was doing sidelines and John was so passionate. This was when Lamar had not It was the year before he signed his big deal, and he was It means everything to me to make sure that Lamar is a champion, that a guy who came up like him, who speaks like him, who looks like him, and who plays like him becomes a great, great quarterback in this league and wins championships, because what that would do for so many other people. To Harball was like, this is why we love him. It was it was such a personal connection where I was like, hey, you know you talk about the personal and business when it comes to him getting a new deal, like this is personal for John Hartlah this is going to get done and at some point, because of all the players on his team, he is firmly and emotionally invested in Lamar.
Speaker 1: It reminded me listening to that clip in the whole three minutes that I would suggest go listen to it a ravend zachlm.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: It was a build up because it's him talking about how personally he takes the criticism that's out there of Lamar. I don't think there's a ton of criticism right now, but he definitely had his worst game of the year in the AFC Championship. I'm the biggest Lamar Jackson fan there is other than Patrick Claybond, and.
Speaker 2: It is what it is. He had a bad game.
Speaker 1: He wouldn't deny that, but yeah, that speech kind of reminded me of Jim Harbob because he loves his quarterbacks more than anything. And it was like a two and a half minute rise to that point where where.
Speaker 2: He is like it was already written that he's.
Speaker 1: Going to be like the greatest quarterback of all time and it's like, Okay, I mean he is playing at the same time of Patrick Mahomes, but I get it.
Speaker 2: He is your guy.
Speaker 1: And the thing that really struck me is this is year two of our second phase with Lamar, and we've built the whole idea of everything we do is to build the best offense possible around Lamar. And I think you saw different Lamar Jackson last year. He's not as great a runner as he used to be. He's like ten percent worse than when he was just the greatest runner of all time at the quarterback position. But he's much better I think thrown over to the middle of the field going through his reads. He's always been great playing from the pocket, but I think this offense accentuates those strengths that we're already there and it makes them even better.
Speaker 3: And now he's taking on Akman for the letter eight, so it's just like, yeah it Chad's next.
Speaker 5: Remember though, he's got three new offensive linemen they've got incorporated into the offense.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 5: You know, interior guys, got you got a guard. You have a guard garden right tackle. So that's going to be interesting to see how they start the season. But I mean, again, the Ravens are such great talent developers all up on their offensive a defensive line.
Speaker 4: This is nothing new.
Speaker 5: To that.
Speaker 1: We also got to get him some chicken noodle soups the otrin because he missed another day of training camp with illness, which has just often happened to him throughout his CA.
Speaker 2: Just I don't know his immune system, but.
Speaker 8: He's a lot of things going around though right now.
Speaker 1: There is a lot and yeah, to be fair, he had been knocked out a couple of times from practicing from playing because of that. Marlon Humphrey, by the way, I just I just read some reports that he's out there practicing looking great, and a healthy Marlon Humphy really helps them. And Eddie Jackson was signed former Bear got a big support from his former teammate Roquan Smith.
Speaker 2: So just something else I watched.
Speaker 3: There, Eddie Jackson signing because yeah, he was with Roquan in Chicago, and he played with Marlon Humphrey at Alabama too, and I guess Derrick Henry too, So there's some nice little connections already.
Speaker 2: That was the first one of these.
Speaker 1: Eric DaCosta and Ozzie Newsom used to do it like late signings. These guys are like, wait, how did they get them? And then you look up and it's the divisional round and Eddie Jackson's playing forty five snaps for them, and you're like, oh, that guy was available until late July.
Speaker 5: It's such an Ozzy Newsome move. I mean, first off, he loves his Alabama players. He's in Alabama lum Alabama Hall of Famer. But you know, you look with the even have done too when they go out and get Marcus Williams from the Saints, like they love these veteran safeties. Now now they got to add him to Kyle Hamilton, who I think is going to be in the running for the Defensive Player of the Year. And the way they build their team up the middle of the defense, you know, from Pierce to Roquan Smith, you know, with these safeties, their new defensive coordinator or I'm blanking his first name, zach rr zak Hrer, right, he's a former inside linebacker, former inside linebacker coach of building it through the middle is going to be important to him.
Speaker 1: All right, We're going to roll through these last three items quickly, starting with Kevin O'Connell, who just is really all about JJ McCarthy yet he said Sam Darnold is going to take the majority of the first team reps and he is going to be very careful with his rookie quarterback.
Speaker 7: I don't know if it's the former quarterback in me, but I will not allow any factors outside of what's best for JJ and what's best to help the Minnesota Vikings win.
Speaker 2: In regards to the answer to that question, that's just how.
Speaker 4: I feel about it.
Speaker 3: Answer ever, Yeah, Kevin O'Connell, it's never been seen before.
Speaker 2: This is unpressed bottle it.
Speaker 1: You're saying he's a great guest to have because you don't have to ask too many questions.
Speaker 3: Well, it's he's a great conversationalist, like you can. He's a talker, so he will really if you ask him one question, he will give you a beefy answer to it.
Speaker 1: And that wasn't a surprise that that he's saying that that he's not going to change the plan. The plan at most is going to be to give him first team reps JJ McCarthy half, you know, a week in ten days in if he looks good, it's not going to be right away. So for now it's going to be darnald and we will see. Joe Burrow was fully cleared for contact. His coach, Zach Taylor, announced on Monday, which is great news. He just has not had a fully healthy training camp virtually.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: They were really excited about that last year and then it didn't happen. And he's a guy who I think needs the reps and the you know, he relies on rhythm and timing. They said they might play him a little bit in the preseason.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: And Marius Mims, their first round pick signed, which means every rookie deal has done, no holdouts for the rookies. And lastly, cam Akers former ram signed with the Texans. Joe Mixon's been a little banged up, right, Well, I'm a little I'm a little lower, I think than consensus on the whole Joe Mixon really idea like, is Joe Mixon better than Devin Singletary at this same big Joe Mixon I always have been. But he's not the same guy that he used.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I just know that the Bengals were trying to, you know, rotate him to kind of let him make it to the season last year.
Speaker 4: But he's a monster man good. He's going to be very good in that offense.
Speaker 8: I just saw C. J.
Speaker 3: Stroud and him trying or c J. Stroud and Cam Akers coming up with a new handshake. So that is something I will be watching in training camp.
Speaker 2: Yes, Cam Akers trying to make that team.
Speaker 1: You feel for him just hasn't been the same guy since injuries took him out, but he was very grateful for another chance. I'm excited to wrap this up with the news because it means we're getting to our segment, like we're all about good ideas generally, Like we're three of the smartest football minds out there. I would say thank you, Greg Trio, but we're instead today I gotta come up with some bad ideas for the twenty twenty fourth season, just things that you should not do.
Speaker 2: Will do that after the.
Speaker 10: Break, Johncey, it's very Indiana Jones like, that's what it's giving.
Speaker 1: A bit a gigantic boulder that's coming after us.
Speaker 2: I like it. It's a new one. Go heavy on the drums.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about some bad ideas, folks. A lot of good ideas being thrown out on this podcast, a lot of good ideas. As we're getting into training camp. It's hope season. We're gonna do some bad ideas, just things that we don't want to see going into twenty twenty four. Let's start with Connie and see if he understood the exercise.
Speaker 3: Listen, of course I did. Glass half empty is like Mikey faults. So you know what, Hopefully this segment here isn't one of the bad ideas.
Speaker 8: Oh no, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Because we did have two options. We were going to go one way, and Connie was like, you know, said one way.
Speaker 3: And I basically picked both and then was like, no, let's do this one A torpedo in one of them. Yes, okay, So I do have some other bad ideas real quick before I get into my two NFL ones, just like more of a PSA good Don't go to the beach without sunscreen. I have been using so much allo I and taking anti inflammatories. My back is so burnt right now that we'll see problem.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Don't file for a tax extension. It's gonna haunt you the whole summer. Don't let your college roommate come to town full stop, but definitely don't let them order pizza or drinks. Don't buy anything on the internet after midnight. Don't order one or every dessert on the menu. Don't go to a plant nursery without a plan, don't get the hollandaise sauce ever, and above all else, just don't forget the sunscreen.
Speaker 8: Please.
Speaker 4: That's strong.
Speaker 5: I thought you're gonna don't forget to do your ninjao your computer updates.
Speaker 3: Finally up to date with my ninja O compliance training. Y.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is our in house work program where we learn not to uh open security and yes.
Speaker 3: About fishing an identity theft, all of it.
Speaker 2: I got.
Speaker 1: I got the email that said they were they were shutting me off. They're shutting my computer off unless I do it. I got it done. Those are great, except for the plant nursery plant like who you can't have a plan. You got to go and just see what's there. I understand that you're.
Speaker 3: I can't a plant lady, and I at least, but way too many and nowhere to put them.
Speaker 2: It's like going to the farmers market. You gotta see what's fresh.
Speaker 8: That's fair, okay.
Speaker 3: So I as far as actual bad ideas for the NFL season, I really don't love the fact that Chicago doesn't have a veteran quarterback on the roster at all. And I'm not saying to win a competition or anything like that talent wise, but just someone in house with the experience to be in that room. I mean a lah Josh McCown, except he's an assistant with the Viking Division.
Speaker 4: But someone and.
Speaker 3: Exactly And when he was there with Nick Foles and Justin Fields, it sounded like there were some there was some friction a little bit, so a different regime in the front office. But I don't know if maybe past history with a rookie quarterback and veterans in there was something that the Bears thought about going into this. But it just feels so curious because you have Baigent as the backup, who was the undrafted free agent last year, he performed well enough to be a backup, and then Brett Rippian is the only true veteran quarterback there. His only start with the Rams last year was so disastrous that he was cut two days later. And then you have an undrafted rookie Austin Reid in there. So like entering the season the most seasoned quarterback on the roster has started four NFL games, and you have Caleb Williams, who will be under so much pressure both physically and figuratively because the offensive line has a lot of unknowns, and the pass catchers are all new aside from Dj Moore, So there's just a lot in flux for a rookie to have to figure out and just be thrown into the fire with no seasoned person in that room. To I kind of roll my eyes when we talk about mentors in the quarterback rooms, but in this situation, it would be nice if someone was in there that wasn't an actual threat, but that was there almost as like an assistant assistant there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, look, it's the Chase Daniel, it's Jacoby Brissette, it's guys like that. It helps because there will be situations that these guys will experience on and off the field where a veteran voice can get them.
Speaker 1: In work habits and just knowing what it's like to go through an NFL season. I think that's a great one. That that was a bad idea by them. I mean, like a guy like Tyler Huntley, he was out there. He's the fourth quarterback with the brown that Browns that would have been, which is interesting by the way that they have so many quarterbacks, just just saying.
Speaker 8: Where's Ryancehill right now?
Speaker 1: Ryan Tannell is unsigned, which which is interesting right now, he might be the type of guy I don't know that maybe he wouldn't be as willing right now, like he wanted to play. Maybe he told teams that and then I would understand in that case why they wouldn't sign him specifically, But case Keenum was out there, he would have been a nice one done in most of his career. He's got to be in Houston, and you never know, someone could get cut loose in camp, Like I don't know who would be like a Nick Mullins type, But yeah, that is a that is a missing piece. And as much as I like the Bears and the things they have around him, like if there's no offensive line or at least there's a Q question on the offensive line, I don't know if the defense is going to be as good as people think. It's a great situation around Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: But that is one bad idea.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna throw out a bad idea, and that's making Tom Brady the number one Fox broadcaster, putting him on the number one team right away, and the response will be like, well, you can't pay him all that money? Well, like, why not? You can do whatever you want with you. You can't pay him all that money and make them number two. The number two games are great, maybe more people will watch the number two games and there won't be as much pressure. I just think it's so ironic and it seems so just like a flip of where Tom Brady is in terms of his life that he hasn't considered how similar this is to his situation with Drew Bledsoe coming into the NFL. Because back then, I remember Tom Curran was first. I mean, he almost made his career off this first on the whole idea of like this, Brady kids better than Bledsoe, you know, they shouldn't give the job. And he would call Drew Bledsoe the hood orm because they would just put Drew Bledsoe's contract that they gave him kind of under weird, just like trying to make the franchise look better at a time when it wasn't. It was one hundred million dollar contract and put that to distract everyone from the bad card that was behind it. And that was his one hundred million dollar contract, and Drew bleds at that point wasn't really earning his spot in the way that you would think. And here's Tom Brady as a player who comes up and earns it. That was greg Olsen, Like greg Olsen earned that spot. And everyone's going to be listening to the Number two games and they're gonna realize greg Olsen's better than Tom Brady. And maybe I'll be wrong in tom Brady's star power and he'll be great and he won't be bad at anything, and it'll quiet it down. And that's fine if I'm proven wrong. But I really doubt day one he's going to be better. And he could have still been on big time games, the Number two games. Everyone watches the Number two crew too. It's just at like one pm instead of four pm. It would have been fine. But if he's bad, or if he's just average, it puts him in a spot where it's like you didn't you didn't really earn this, and as you get better, people aren't going.
Speaker 2: To have as much pain.
Speaker 4: So you're you're calling him Drew Brees.
Speaker 2: That's a bad idea.
Speaker 4: You put him in the Drew Brees category potentially.
Speaker 1: I mean the Drew Brees was Drew Brees set up to succeed there too, Like he was in a tough spot maybe if he had just been like the number four or five Fox crew, he could have worked his way into he's trying to get back into him.
Speaker 8: I'm nervous about this.
Speaker 3: I'm nervous for Tom Brady, and I can't believe I'm nervous for Tom Brady. But it's just all that position is all about how comfortable you are and how confident you are. Of course he's confident, but I just don't know how comfortable he's going to be in that role. And I'm excited to listen, but I also just don't want to be cringing.
Speaker 5: But he's gonna be calling games, see, and there's a difference. He's not gonna be the studio analysts like his former head coach Bill Belichick will be right, So Belichick's gonna have some runway, he's gonna have some things to plan for, and he's going to be fantastic. Belichick is going to be gord. I agree, right, We're gonna held out to it. But you know, Tom's could be in games like we saw Tony Romo come in with a ton of rehearsals with Jim Nancey ultimate play by play guy. You know where they practiced, where you could see the feel and the energy that Romo brought. That's gonna be the comp for Tom Brady. Can you be the next Tony Romo? You're fresh out of the game. You know the opposing players, you know the opposing tendencies of the dcs. Are you going to give that to us? And if he doesn't, then it's gonna be on somebody at Fox to get him there. They are not going to allow him to fail.
Speaker 4: They are not. And plus, he's not gonna allow himself to feel.
Speaker 5: This is a dude who is drafted as late as he is, who's got that chip on his shoulder, no matter what it is.
Speaker 1: I know. But Joe Montana had a chip on his shoulder and he was one of the greatest ever and he was so bad in the booth. You know, it's the same thing with Joe Namath. It's different, it's happening.
Speaker 4: They won't get ripped on.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a different skill set, is what I'm saying. And I hope I'm wrong. I hope he gets into the nitty gritty and isn't just vanilla. Maybe he'll be great, but he's not gonna be better than Greg Olsen.
Speaker 2: Off the bat.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying he could have been number two for a year and then let Greg Olsen go take Chris collins Worth's job or something. Wouldn't surprise me if that happens someday. I noticed that Madden is using Tarico and Olsen as a crew, and I was like, maybe that's like.
Speaker 4: A They recorded those. They started recording those about eighteen months ago.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm just saying, like, oh, that that could be a crew.
Speaker 2: I would see that.
Speaker 1: But it just respect the game, respect the announcing game, and kind of earn your spot.
Speaker 2: That's all I'm saying. That's not on him, but bad idea, not on him.
Speaker 4: That's a bad idea. Okay, we'll see. Okay, here's my bad idea.
Speaker 5: Since we're entering training camp, one of the big rule changes is what the hip drop tackle. Don't over It's a bad idea to over penalize it in the preseason. We tend to see when there's rule changes in the preseason, Oh, offensive you can challenge offensive pass. And in finish, let's let's go crazy with that. We've got this change, let's go crazy with that. Don't go crazy with this one because this is such a subjective play. It does not happen every game. If all of a sudden, you start calling two or three is a game, defenders are gonna be.
Speaker 4: Like, Okay, what are we gonna do.
Speaker 5: My solution is send a video to the team and the individual player saying this will be called right or else call a penalty in the game, but don't find them like they doing in regular season. Give them the solution before all of a sudden. We've got all the Tom Brady's of the world in the preseason trying to explain this to the public, like what the hell is this because so many players don't even know what a hip drop nuance tackle is? Right, this is this is a this is the finest of line.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like I kind of know it, but could I really know the difference?
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: You have to swim, swing behind the guy, and turn him before you fall on him, which is and which is a kind of a spin off of the alligator tackle they told guys to start doing after they try to take the head out of the game with the head to head contact.
Speaker 4: So that's what I'm just saying.
Speaker 5: It's a bad idea to go nuts in preseason like we've done with some of these other potential rule changes, to over penalize and over be overly punitive without giving more of a solution to the player and the team before we get.
Speaker 2: To the regular season.
Speaker 8: Whenever I hear a point of emphasis, I want to run.
Speaker 3: I just want to run and scream I can't, I can't do it.
Speaker 8: Don't do it, don't make it a point of emphasis.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and this is what just a flat new rule, And hopefully it's like that lowering the head rule which everyone was all worked up about for a month four or five years ago.
Speaker 2: How you know what it put the skirts on? We're like, let's not play football.
Speaker 1: It's like, how many times does that rule come up in a meaningful way? Since it gets called about twenty times a year, Hopefully it's what it's done. And I think this will happen more than anything with the hip drop tackle is it's just taught differently from now on, and so naturally it kind of leaves the game. But maybe it's something that you know, you you mentioned. Maybe they use fines versus right.
Speaker 5: I think I think once you get to the regular season, the guy they may not call it on the spot again.
Speaker 4: It's such a difficult play for the to officiate.
Speaker 5: But they may hit a guy with a fifteen thousand dollars clip you know, he gets that FedEx folder on Thursday because he did it. I mean, that's what they've done with a lot of these other penalties too, Like they'll find guys because guys don't like to lose that change say so, you have to change the behavior.
Speaker 4: But again, this is such a rare call.
Speaker 5: You don't see the hip drop call that often, but when you do, it's usually a smaller player taking down a bigger guy like Mark Andrews and him being out for the season. So again, I understand wanting to reduce the injuries, but let's not be overly punitive or ask the officials to do something so radically as you said a point of emphasis.
Speaker 3: Can I can't even even when you say it, I can't.
Speaker 5: It's to where we're like, again, you're trying to explain it and everything else, and it gets too muddled.
Speaker 1: I like that we all go in different directions of who can be making these bad ideas Teams players. It could be Fox in my case and in your case you're just you know, putting your sights on the NFL League office.
Speaker 4: It's just gonna be. Look, it's gonna be it's going to be a point of emphasis. Yeah, we're going to.
Speaker 8: Be to get hand with that FedEx am.
Speaker 5: We're going to be talking about this we come to the regular season or to the preseason.
Speaker 4: That's going to be something that's going to be a point.
Speaker 1: There's what we don't need is that being like a major point. Yeah, it's on the coaches to coach it differently. We're going to take a quick break, we're going to get one more from each of us, and we're going to wrap the show up. It's beautiful. It's Tuesday. Training camp has started. Bad ideas, Connie, You've had a few. I wish I had thought of some of the bad ideas in my own life.
Speaker 8: I mean that was a twenty second, so many I.
Speaker 3: Could we could fill multiple hours with bad ideas. But I have a couple for the Cowboys here, there's a few couple. There's a few bad ideas that are surrounding that team.
Speaker 8: They should have paid Dak.
Speaker 3: They obviously still need to pay Ceedee Lamb. I really don't know about the running back by committee. Micah, Remember Micah, Mike and Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 8: I'm excited to see those two together.
Speaker 3: But my bad idea is the fact that they really don't have a clearcut center on the offensive line, and that is a massive problem with Tyler Biattish now in Washington. I mean, this is a true competition in training camp, and this is such a crucial position, especially for that offense. You think about late snaps, high snaps, anything like that, and they've had a lot of problems starting up front in recent years after it was just like exalted as this unbelievable offensive line for so many years, and then it just became such a lazy talking point for everyone, and then there was a time where it just ended up switching. So Mike Salari is a veteran assistant coach who's coming in. They're hoping that he can sort of galvanize this group. But the options right now. They signed brock Hoffman from San Francisco.
Speaker 8: They have a third.
Speaker 3: Round rookie in Cooper Bebe, and then Chuma Aduga is another all a good job, but I think I don't know, I just kind of like I'm still learning as training camp for me too, But this is this is an area that could really like torpedo the team at some point if they don't find a good option there and if these guys don't gell.
Speaker 1: Little known fact about Mike Solari. He's been in the NFL so long that he was on Tom Landry's staff in Dallas.
Speaker 4: Wow what Wow? On and Landry hasn't coached his nineteen eighty.
Speaker 1: Nine Yeah, he spent two years, the final two seasons of Tom Landry. He was on that staff, So a lot of fresh ideas. No, I'm just kidding because he's been around so long.
Speaker 5: Because I got to SCARNECKI is not the youngest, right, some of.
Speaker 2: These coaches, yeah, are around ageism.
Speaker 1: It is and I just love that. And I know Connie was doing some homework over the weekend. She put up on her stories, all the all the prep she's doing for itc that like you avoid, you avoid the the DAK or any situation like Zeke and you go straight to center.
Speaker 2: It's great show off.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's true though.
Speaker 1: It's of all the lists of issues that the Cowboys have, and there are many right now, maybe it almost feels like we're overdoing it. Uh, this this one could really hurt them ton and is not being talked about it at all.
Speaker 5: That's well done, real bad. Yeah, I hear what the well done? She got a couple well done.
Speaker 8: Deep in the weeds.
Speaker 1: Now, I had the CD DAK thing as my first bad idea, and then I just didn't go with it first. And now I'm regretting that because I was like, I don't want to be ESPN and just start off the segment.
Speaker 4: You can't. That's not even a fair competent.
Speaker 2: The ESG drop that one, I'll drop another one.
Speaker 1: But I just think giving the contract to CD and not to DAK, which I think is how this thing is going to go. If I had to guess that they're going to go into I think Cee Lamb's gonna get paid. He's going to hold out or hold in, but they're going to make sure it happened, and Dak's going to go into this year without. It's just it's just bad. It's all bad. It's a bad idea, bad vibes, it's a bad idea. It's a question that's going to be asked too much, and I think it's just gonna be given Dak ideas of where he wants to play next. It's bad. And with a coach that's very much on the hot seat, Like it's bad. Just pay them both, either pay them both or paying neither.
Speaker 3: I was actually thinking too, like who is under more pressure? And I hate that question, but it's an honest question here, Dak or Mike McCarthy, they're so tied together.
Speaker 4: Oh it's Dak just a salary alone. Yeah, the salary alone. Publicly, he can't.
Speaker 2: I hear you.
Speaker 1: But like Dak is gonna be a good quarterback. The situation around him will see how it is or not, but he has control of it. To me, pressure is like Mike McCarthy only has so much control and he's having to deal with all this other stuff. At least Dak has the ball in his hands, so at least maybe he has more pressure, but he has more control over like what's gonna happen Mike McCarthy, Like, I don't know if Mike McCarthy what he can do to fix this.
Speaker 4: Dak could have center issues, you could have running.
Speaker 2: Back a year. I got it.
Speaker 1: But they're like Dak's gonna be in the league next year making a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Where the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Oh I didn't say that, did I? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: All right, you go next, Steve.
Speaker 5: Okay, bad idea for the New England Patriots to start anyone at quarterback other than Drake May.
Speaker 4: Now hear me out.
Speaker 5: Their schedule is as ugly of a schedule is as I could imagine. I mean, look, they open at Sincy, Seattle, New York Jets, the Niners, Miami, Houston, Jacksonville, the Jets. Those are brutal defenses. So people can say, well, why would you want to expose him to that? If it's Jacobe Brissett, the one loss situation is probably going to be similar than it would be for Drake May. So let him go out there and face Louannarumo, Let him go out there and face Mike McDonald and some of those guys, so he can learn the Patriots are probably not going to win five games or more anyway, So do you want him to take those ls? Watching Jacobe presecut pummeled. And here's the other thing, I don't know if he's necessarly gonna get pumbled. Their defense, the Patriots defense is going to be really freaking good. Right, They've got players on that side of the ball. They're gonna hold some of these teams down. I would still get Drake May in there against this brutal schedule. I mean, you look at all seventeen. It is rough, but the one lost result is going to be the same. So you go out there and you coach him up, You let him take his lumps, you let him learn, because to me, experience is the best teacher.
Speaker 1: These guys aren't so fragile that if they're going to be good that they can't handle some struggles as a rookie, Like if that's gonna be the thing that stops him, they weren't going to be great anyways. And Drake May is just so talented you can't tell me he's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Make three to four just wow plays.
Speaker 1: He's used to having a team around him that isn't as good true as his opponent. It's like whenever Drake May played a Georgia Tech or even a Virginia where his teammates were about the same as the other team, he destroyed them because he's in because he's absolutely incredible. He's one of the best quarterback prospects I think in the last decade. I think it's a little crazy he went behind Jayden Daniels, but I get it. Jaden Daniels was coming off such a good year. The trick is Jacoby Brissette is the best of all these quarterbacks, and so the temptation will be, like, man, maybe we'd have a better chance to win with Jacoby Brissett.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 3: I'm just worried about their skill position players around Drake may like who the pass catchers this is. I know that the pass catchers weren't great last year, but I mean, this feels like one of the most I don't. I want to say this nicely, and it's difficult to say nicely, but I just wish that there was more talent at the skill position player, yes than there is.
Speaker 5: Could running back garamondre Stevenson, but you know he could have him turned a hand on the ball off. But look, their defense is gonna be good enough for to play conservative football. This is what we always hear about all the time with rookie players. Now does he does not have Keenan Allen, He does not have dj More, You know, like Caleb, he does not have the eye.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if he has it in him to play conservatively.
Speaker 4: It's just well, then let him rip.
Speaker 2: He's very very Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: Like, let it rip, let him, let him go.
Speaker 1: He might have some of the lumps that Josh Allen hadn't. Look, it didn't slow Josh Allen down. He got better.
Speaker 4: Look, look you look at that schedule.
Speaker 5: That is a brutal run against some teams of good defenses and teams that can put points on the board.
Speaker 4: Let him go out there and experience it, let him feel it, let him learn.
Speaker 1: Okay, bad more bad ideas kicking, like giving up completely on the new kickoff rule and just kicking it to the thirty. I mean kicking it out of the end zone every time and letting the other team take the ball out the thirty. It's like that's a whack move. That's just like hey, like I'm gonna take the ball and go home. We're not even gonna try, Like we're playing a sport and we're just gonna say we're not good enough to figure this out. Like, that's not who you want running your team. Here's your white that's a bad idea. I'm just gonna roll through a couple of rapid fire sticking with Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: No matter what happens this year.
Speaker 1: If it goes.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Well, because I was a little negative on the Browns defense, just like can they repeat it? I just mean, I think they're at the year of the contract that if it's really going poorly, I think this is the year that you pull the ripcord and I don't know, you look at their roster and it's loaded. They brought in Jamis, they brought it, Like, why do they have so many quarterbacks?
Speaker 2: Dt are?
Speaker 1: They brought in Tyler Hunt and now they're going to play them all. I'm just saying they have options. If it was going real poor, Kevin Stefanski has some long term security now with that new contract that take a look at Jamis if it goes.
Speaker 4: They should have assigned Joe Flatto. That's what you wanted to say.
Speaker 8: I know, I think he wanted to go back there.
Speaker 3: We're talking to him at Honors NFL Honors Super Bowl week and he seemed like he really wanted to go back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't draft Presol number two overall.
Speaker 2: And fantas fantasy there you go not trust that.
Speaker 1: And don't listen to Mike Florio about like hard knocks teams, like, oh, we're showing too much information. And and it's getting out there and it's bad for it. It's like, relax, it's football teams not that big a deal. Teams have editorial controllers who are showing and what's not fine.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they have the final set, like give us some good shows, like knowing like if some information gets out that hurts some people's feelings or you learn like ooh, someone did a good job or a bad up, that's fine, let them deal with.
Speaker 8: That is the very point of the show exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's already happened. Yes, you know, it's in the past. I think this was a good idea, this segment. It was.
Speaker 8: It was not a bad idea.
Speaker 2: Good job, thank you, but you got but you just you just emptied the clip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just decided I had a bunch. Let's get him out there for the people. Uh, let's wrap up with just a little after dinner man, like, you know, just something nice to leave the show with. I don't know if you guys have seen this clip yet of Patrick Mahomes throwing one of the best passes I've ever seen throw. Just happened to come in training camp practice.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 1: You can see this on her YouTube. Sprinting right not even stopping his feet. Xavi A Worthy separating fifty five sixty yards down the field at the end. I mean, that is preposterous.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: That's just like when DJ with nuts, when Zach Wilson threw that at his pro day.
Speaker 4: That's the.
Speaker 5: That's the throw. I mean, that's a million Daniels Jeremias. You're going nuts that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The difference is there's a little bit of defense here I guess not really no, and there's Xavier Worthy separating and tracking that ball at the end. That's that's different because they did not have a guy like that last year on the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: It is so much fun to watch those types of plays at training camp because training camp is just so much like oh, they're stretching again, like, or that guy's on a bike now, like, But when that happens, it's actually fun and it pops and it's like, okay, this is why we're here.
Speaker 5: And the best part about is Mahomes just said, if I throw an interception, so what it's training camp. I have been in too many practices where I've almost say quarterbacks, get there, you know what's kicked because in a play like that, they'll just like, check it down and the receivers run his tail off. It's the end of practice. He's already run like seven forty five yard routes. He's done, and all of a sudden you check it down. Underneath that says Patrick taking care right.
Speaker 1: I just think I'm excited that these plays are back. It's all happening once again. We're practicing football. And that play is a good example of what I say is like every week in the NFL there's a play that was better than any play in like the entire decade of the nineteen seventies or eighties. Like that throw, if that throw happened in the game like fifty years ago, can you imagine seeing that that is a preposterous throw.
Speaker 2: I'm not, I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know, this happens in every sport, Steve, I'm not, and not no disrespect to the old football players.
Speaker 2: It's like the same thing.
Speaker 1: And in the NBA or tennis or whatever you want, they're just there these days.
Speaker 5: Ye saw Roger saw Back do that to Drew Peaks And I'm a Vikage fan.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'm still crushed.
Speaker 5: I mean, anytime you talk about big play, the original Hill Mary still like digs at me.
Speaker 1: Well, I was very excited to get you guys before you head out on the roads. But yeah, check check out Stephen Colleen on NFL Network. ITC will try to get you on the podcast from the road or bringing my mic when you're back Colleen our next show. Very excited about this. We got Stacey Dale. She's already that's a good idea. She's talking bears. Nick Chukill also help me cover the news on that show. But I'm excited to talk about Stacy the most athletic NFL Network.
Speaker 2: Till then, see you next time.